User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Fibromyalgia

"I have been experiencing symptoms of fibro and chronic fatigue to the point where I had to stop working a year ago. The most incapacitating was when I could not use my right hand and this kept recurring for a few days at a time so the doctor suggested gabapentin. It has helped to stop the experience of the nerve pain in my shoulders and it helps with the other pain in legs and overall. I do keep up my exercises and stretches and have to be cautious and aware all the time of my positions so that I don't sit too long as this aggravates the problem. Also I have to sleep on my back or it will flare up. It is worth trying this medication. helps with pain and possibly that helps with fatigue"

deeby February 13, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed Gabapentin this past September for sciatica caused by herniated disc. It worked incredibly well, for about three months, with no real noticeable side effects. After that, they got crazy. Body zaps, foggy brain, numbness in extremities, etc. Now I hurt from head to toe ALL the time, and have every single one of the listed symptoms of fibro. I wonder if the gaba is actually either causing, or amplifying low key symptoms that I didn't realize I had? If anyone has any feedback, it would be appreciated. :)"

Bevj_2 February 11, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been using this medication for several years and haven't really noticed any difference.I've even been prescribed gabapentin for sleep along with the other sleep medications I was prescribed, again with no difference. I have taken pain medications also for several years.The one I'm on currently works well for me and I don't feel addicted! I've taken a generic medication for migraines for for several years; my insurance won't cover the label migraine medication. It works okay. The fibromyalgia designated medications that I've taken have given me very bad experiences with no help whatsoever for the pain. It's been like being on a hamster wheel, but at least I have a pain medication that actually works and doesn't make me feel addicted."

Reikimom333 (taken for 10 years or more) February 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was suffering from fibromyalgia pain most of my adult life, I'm 52 by the way, not realizing there was this wonderful medication available to me...I started it about 2 years ago and it really makes a HUGE difference in how my body feels. I take 300 mg 3X daily. I hope it never quits working for me...you should give it a try....It has no side effects on me."

NatalieW555 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 7, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The nerves in my legs are aching and so is my back. Doctor put me on Gabapenten. I took one pill that night and had nightmares all night then the next day I was a zombie I could not make any decisions at all and my head was ready to explode. Also I started getting hot spots on my hand, foot and arm. I cannot and will not recommend this medication to anyone! Call the Doctor he told me to not take it any more!"

Tgrlily24 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in March. The past 3 months I have been experiencing severe hip pain radiating down my leg. If I slept on my side (which is the side I favored) the pain would become so bad it woke me during the night. Consequently I have not had a good nights sleep in months. Went to my rheumatologist who suggested I tried gabapentin prescribed 1 pill 600mg for four days than 2 pills 600mg per day will be starting 3 pills per day. I can honestly say what a huge difference this had made. The pain is almost gone and I sleep through the night. Also with little know side effects . I will continue with this drug for as long as I need too."

Rcamilleri47 (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have "fibromyalgia," severe muscle pain from a twisted spine/congenitally deformed vertebrae. I was getting better with yoga, but hurt my back/rib muscles overdoing. I developed depression on gabapentin after a few weeks. At first it dulled the pain and made me feel lightheaded, and I had memory problems. Then my anxiety increased and the pain continued, and hit a real low. I spent two weeks in a psych ward until a brilliant psych nurse who believed in treating muscle pain. I am now recovering on a mix of robaxin, a muscle relaxer, a low dose of valium for rib spasms, and prozac and remeron (for sleep) and hope to get off all of them once I can exercise again. Similar reaction to Lyrica four years ago."

Lucky to be Alive (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am on 900mg a day for fibromyalgia. It used to work but now it does nothing but make me fat and have dizziness. I am always light-headed. If I don't take it for a day my body is stiff for a few days worse than before I started taking it. Not cool! I am getting off it slowly. I will find a better way to deal with the pain. This medication is not for me!"

It makes my life hell- (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 19, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Pretty much saved my life. 13 years ago fibromyalgia symptoms (severe pain especially legs and shoulders), started. My father was taking high doses of gabapentin for chronic guillaune barre. He urged me to try it--and it was the first real sleep I had in months! My rheumatologist had me on 1600mg. 3x, gradually lowered to 1600 mg. 2x. Studies at Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins show very few (and very mild) side effects, even at high doses. The only problem I have is if I forget to take them. Then I get flu like symptoms. I was able to continue my career (elementary school teacher) with no problems. Retired this year age 66 and very active. BTW my memory seems better than most friends my age."

Annabqnm (taken for 10 years or more) November 10, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on and off gabapentin and after 15 months off being back on 300 mg once at night has worked great. it is nice seeing others who agree"

AttackKat November 9, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have fibromyalgia,chronic fatigue syndrome for 30 yrs, I have like most tried every drug under the sun and non have really worked even at very high doses pain meds do nothing for my pain. I decided to try gabapentin because I read it would help with the insomnia and hopefully stop some of the pain. I stopped all pain meds and started at 100 mg at night, yes I have slept, yes it has relived some of the pain, yes I am like a zombie during the day, no I will not continue it. But I feel it is worth a shot for everyone with FMS or CFS as I see it has helped many."

pangea November 8, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnoised with Fibromyaligia back in the mid 90's but didn't treat it till I started to feel so bad in 2000, and I had to work, so I was on Prox-y-propanate for several years till it was pulled from the market, was then on Vicodin 4x a day and it worked great, but so many people have abused it or died from some mixing of it and other drugs that my Dr. pulled me off and put me on Tzanidine, which gave me headaches and heartburn, then on to Clondine, which made me tired and a terrible dry cough, then finally to Gabepentine, which has been awesome, I also take Duloxetine, and together they have me feeling awesome, I can go to my exercise classes everyday and the energy is great remember try everything, donot give up!"

squeeker100 (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have taken this medicine several times for fibromyalgia and nerve pain. While I have found it helps my nerve pain a bit, that is offset by major brain fog. I feel paralyzed, unable to move, starting into space. It's really bad and makes me feel depressed. I already have brain fog and a poor memory with fibromyalgia and this even at low dosages is unacceptable as it makes those problems much worse."

This didn't work for me.... (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Each time my dose was increased I would get light-headed for a couple of days but it was not a serious issue for me."

LaJoya (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 12, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Don't know much about gabapetin. Dr hesitated putting mr on it. Find relief taking Hypericum perf. (From St. John's wort) it is anatural product. When my pain flares up I use it. It usually decreases the pain 50-75 %. It is cheap."

Sunrise 10 September 29, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had been taking Amitriptyline for 6 years, and at flare ups was also topped up with Gabapentine, however I didn't feel the Gabatentin was helping more than the Amitriptyline, so just stuck with Amitriptyline, and road the flare ups.. BUT after 6 years I was SICK of the "drugged up" feelings in the mornings, (and not seeing them!!) so finally went back to my doc for a drug review. She suggested trying Gabapentin on it's own at a higher dose (200mgs 3 times a day to start with, upping if required) and all I can say is, WOW, I have my life back! I am awake in the mornings, I am relatively pain free, (yes I still have background pain and occasional false ups, but at a level low enough for me to manage in other ways,)"

redlizzie (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2016

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I been taking gabepintin 100mg 6 pills a day and my pain has gotten worse I'm so sore and stiff barely wanting to move because it hurts to bad and gaining weight like crazy please help I have been so depressed the pain at times is unbelievable can't handle much more"

cheryl1975 (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had terrible back pain and wasn't diagnosed with fibromyalgia until two months ago. My doctor recommended gabapentin since the fibromyalgia especially took a toll on my mental state. My back has never been better! I feel like I can do things that I haven't been able to do since the onset of my fibromyalgia. This medication is truly life-saving. I have minor side effects-such as gas- but honestly, I'll take that over the pain anyday."

N1987 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2016

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took gabapentin for 1 month. My Dr started me at 100mgX2 @ bedtime. I slept great but had excess daytime sleepiness. The first week I felt really calm but had no pain relief. The next week, my mood began to go downhill & still no pain relief. Week 3, my mood became depressed, I began having increased anxiety, increased blood pressure to the point of pre-hypertension, hot flashes, memory problems, & feeling disoriented, still with no pain relief. Week 4 I got hit hard with a flare. I couldn't tell the difference between whether things had happened yesterday or last week, I was getting unusually angry, & I started having horrid back to back panic attacks. I discontinued without tapering down & interestingly, my flare reduced in intensity."

Jen1201 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on gabapentin for over 15 years. I love this medication for my fibromyalgia. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 is because I do have short term memory loss. That is one of the side effects. It also has been wonderful for my restless legs at night."

Jenelle P (taken for 10 years or more) August 14, 2016

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started the Gabapentin two weeks ago for Fibromyalgia discomfort and this medication has changed my life. My chronic lower leg pain I've suffered with for over 5 years is gone and my quality of life has improved a great deal!"

Anonymous August 5, 2016

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I Hate it so far. Been on it for less than a month. The irritability, stomach, gas, don't feel much pain relief... I'm hot, skin my face, ears, chest sometimes legs. Especially if I DON'T take regular. I'm more than a bit grumpy on this drug. I'm more depressed and upset. Cry easier. I DO NOT like it but I promised doc is try it. 300mg 3x a day. I can't hardly stand it at ALL but I promised. . I'm on fire now too even after the dose. It's awful but...I promised."

MichLinn August 1, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"People often feel inclined to share negative experiences so I thought I would add my positive one in case anybody feels encouraged. I have Fibro, POTs, scoliosis, complex regional pain syndrome and a few other minor issues. I work part time and am a single mum (not all partners wish to hang around once you get poorly lol). I spent many years struggling with my symptoms but a new Dr invited me to try Gabapentin. I worked up to a dose of 900mg twice a day and 1200mg at night. I have to say I would not be without it. Gone are the restless legs which kept me awake at night, gone is the interminable insomnia, irritable bladder, IBS flares.. My pains are dulled. I didn't get headaches, I don't feel dizzy beyond my normal POTs symptoms. I rate it!"

Smart (UK) July 12, 2016

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had Fibromyalgia for 11 years and had Amitriptyline for it, last week I started with shingles and left me with Neuropathic stabbing ice pick pain in my head/neck, yesterday the doctor said try Gabapentin starting dose 300g but not with Amitriptaline, reluctantly after reading the side effects I took a pill as I haven't slept for 6 nights and was at my wits end. I took it at 9pm I went to bed 11pm experienced leg jerking for a few minutes a strange tingling feeling all over, and excessive gas, then I must have fallen asleep I had been asleep 6 hours :) no shooting pains every 30 seconds no restless legs, I'm going to give this a go as first impressions to me on just one dose has been a relief/blessing and worth a try."

Flojo66 June 21, 2016

54 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have a love & hate relationship with this drug ! I have been on & off this medicine multiple times in the past 5 years At the beginning i saw tremendous relief in my FM symptoms that only lasted about 3 yrs of it was a up and down of changing the dosage because for me weight gain on this pill is ridiculous so my Dr kept me on the lowest dose until i need a lil more, So my dosage was anywhere from 300mg x2 or x3 daily . All this changed on year 4 when i went into a horrible flare up during winter & not even gaba could fix i noticed that it just just stopped working for me p.s. withdrawls are horrible, anxiety,insomina,hot/cold spells, stomach issues,fatigue,nausea,muscle cramps, best wishes to all withdrawing hang in there it gets better!"

Gypsypickles318 June 9, 2016