User Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Fibromyalgia

Also known as: Neurontin, Gralise, Gabarone, Fanatrex

Gabapentin has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 166 ratings for the treatment of Fibromyalgia. 57% of those users who reviewed Gabapentin reported a positive effect, while 23% reported a negative effect.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

6.8/10 average rating

Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Gabapentin

FibroWarrior · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2021

“I just started gabapentin, 400 mg 3x/day for fibromyalgia and this drug is like a miracle. My pain was excruciating, and even something as simple as getting up from the couch hurt like anything, and walking was torturous due to the pain and stiffness in my upper, middle and lower back. I was a slave to my heating pad and ice packs, and was taking tylenol and ibuprofen daily. It was hard to shower, clean, do laundry or cook. This medication has brought my pain down from 8 to a 3! Side effects were tolerable. I was very loopy and mentally foggy the first few days, but that resolved quickly. This medication cost me a whopping 94 cents for a 30-day supply! I hope and pray that this medication keeps working!”

RT March 29, 2021

“I have had Fibromyalgia for two years and started taking gabapentin about 6 months ago. My pain and weakness has been increasing while taking 2400 mg and I had to stop studying because I can't remember anything and have a hard time remembering words. I feel that I am not myself”

Just Me · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2021

“I have been suffering from fibro for years along with having MS. I started experiencing pain in my left flank that radiates from between my breast around to the middle of my back. I thought it was implant illness (and it could be). I have been in bed for years because the pain in my legs, elbows and back has gotten so bad I literally cannot function and I can't stay awake. I started Gabapentin 2 days ago and wow I have been up and out of my bed!! Doctor said to take it at night but no way....it would keep me up with the energy I have. Not only that I haven't taken my opioid pain meds all day because I have no pain. I hope this medicine is the answer to my prayers and will allow me to live my life out of bed.”

Granny · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 25, 2020

“Pain medications have never worked on me. I am 72 and have severe arthritis and every joint hurts, I have had one knee replacement and will have the other one done very soon. I worked hard all my life. Some days I wonder why I keep getting out of bed. I was finally prescribed GABAPENTIN because nothing else worked. And it gives me the relief I never had before. I wish I had known about this sooner because I wasted a lot of my life in pain.”

Bedazzelle March 19, 2014

“I am a 43 year old and I have had so much tenderness and pain with fibromyalgia, and to tell the truth I don't like to take medication.. but I was is such terrible pain I decided to go on GABAPENTIN under my doctors care. I am in awe. I feel so much better, especially in the morning. I also swim and get light massages to manage the pain. I can actually move my neck without agony! My doctor started me out on a higher dose than normal because of the pain. I take 3 of the 400 mg capsules daily. I have only been on them a few days but I can feel a BIG DIFFERENCE! I actually have energy and my mind not as " foggy" as before. I hope and pray this medication continues to give me fantastic results with few side effects.”

Legobo August 17, 2013

“For the past 5 years I have suffered with fibromyalgia, I wake 4 or 5 times a night and generally feel like I have had flu all that time. I started on gabapentin 100mg 3 x daily for 4 weeks and did feel I had a bit more energy, my GP then put me up to 300mg x 3 daily and it has made a massive difference. For the first time in years I get a good night sleep and don't feel like I have been hit by a bus when I wake.”

Tisza · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 16, 2013

“I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2006 and have been on a very, very low dosage of Gabapentin 300mg at bedtime ever since. My Fibromyalgia is manageable and I have no side effects from the medicine. I lead a very busy life. I am an Executive Assistant in a fast-paced organization, and a very involved grandmother to 3. Rarely, I will have a flare that is triggered by extreme stress and I will have a day in bed, but most days I am putting in 12 hr days at work. And weekends I am busy with family, so I feel Gabapentin saved my life! It was a miracle from the first few weeks of taking it.”

CarmenLatte November 25, 2013

“Have very recently started taking gabapentin after spending over half my life in chronic crippling pain. Years of stretching, chiropractors, physical therapy, heavy pain medications, cortisone injections, along with bi-lateral foot surgery, bi-lateral TMJ surgery, and reaching the point of wishing I was dead due to pain being unbearable a new GP from a small clinic was the first to say the word Fibromyalgia. Within a few days I noticed that I was able to return to daily activities again like laundry, cooking, and playing with my kids and the family pets. My mood and outlook on life has dramatically improved. Still occasional aches but nothing like before, and only occasional Lortab for extreme days. Gabapentin gave me back my life.”

tangodancer101 October 24, 2014

“My new doctor just prescribed Neurontin. For the first time in years, I had a good night's sleep and woke up with less pain and stiffness. It's the first "Good morning" I can truly say. Only 300 mg dosage. Thrilled. My previous doctor tried other medications, always an epic failure. My new doctor listened to my "story", paid attention, and believed me when I brought up my Fibromyalgia.”

JMFisher · Taken for less than 1 month November 28, 2018

“I've been taking Cymbalta to relieve my fibromyalgia pain for about a year now, but due to the colder temperatures, my pain started to significantly increase. I met with my doctor and she prescribed Gabapentin. I currently take 300 mg at bed time and will eventually titrate up to 900 mg a day (three 300 mg doses/day). After taking my first pill at bed time, I noticed that my legs felt odd. They were sort of warm. It was more like a calming sensation than anything else. That's when I realized that I wasn't in pain. After one 300 mg pill, I was relatively pain free 20-30 minutes after. I was shocked! I kept hopping out of the bed to walk around, do squats, etc., because I was so amazed by the lack of pain. This drug may not work for everyone, but I saw significant relief almost immediately!”

Deep pains May 26, 2014

“Was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia at the start of the year having suffered with severe neck and upper back pain. The deep pain especially in the upper back right in between the shoulder blades was unbearable most of the time. I had the symptoms for over 2 years before the diagnosis and had almost 80 sessions of treatment with 11 different therapists. Anyway started taking duloxetine, gabapentin and Cocodamol in January. Started gabapentin at 300 mg a day and built up to 1800mg a day by the end of March. Over the last few weeks I feel that I am starting to get my life back. Not totally pain free but I now have spells where the pain is bearable. So if you have just started on this, be patient and fingers crossed you will get relief.”

Pearlee214 June 28, 2015

“After a nightmare of narcotic meds for my fibro I was put on 900mg a day of gabapentin. It didn't work right away, and I wanted to stop taking it. My doctor explained that it sometimes works like an anti depressant can: slowly. She told me to keep at it. Slowly I began to realize that I felt way better! My pain had eased, my sleep was more regular. I haven't experienced any side effects at all. It it is such a mild medicine and one I thank God for everyday. I am at a 1200mg a day dose and will probably increase that slowly as the need arises. I encourage anyone with fibromyalgia to try this med. It may not be narcotic, but it helps!! And thats all that matters.”

Cecelia Ideally · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2014

“I was diagnosed in 2009 after over a decade of chronic aches and pains that couldn't be described by any physicians. After countless bloodtests, MRIs, CAT scans, and the like, I finally found a Neuro that decided to try Gabapentin. I've been on it now, low dose, for about a week. Placebo effect or otherwise, I DO feel better. My normal daily functions seem easier, the pain has almost entirely subsided to a 'dull' ache, my headaches have dwindled to almost nothing, and my energy has increased; which I can only attribute to actually sleeping through the night for more than four days. I will be gradually increasing my dosage over the next four weeks to see if I get even better. I'm ecstatic that I found this physician and Gabapentin!”

Lbc6333 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 13, 2014

“I was given Neurontin by my orthopedic surgeon for nerve pain in my back before having a hip replacement. It dawned on me after a week or so, I had no fibromyalgia pain. After going over what I had been doing differently, I figured out it was the Neurontin. I goggled it and found that the University if Cincinnati had tested it yielding positive results in treating fibromyalgia pain symptoms. My Dr has decided to continue the medicine as long as I am getting relief from the pain. I do have to say that the fibro fog is still a bit of an issue and I find my short term memory is a bit glitchy. But, hey that what iPhones are for, right? Being pain free is worth the trade off. My brain us slowly acclimating. It's great to live and not just cope.”

Spooks January 18, 2016

“I'm 53 and have fibromyalgia. I was at the end of my tether with the pain. A new doctor put me on Gabapentin. I take 200mg 3 x a day. It has literally changed my life. My pain levels have reduced dramatically, I don't wake up with the 'fibro fog' and my energy levels are as a 'normal' person's would be. It was been a revelation!”

debs12 August 29, 2014

“This medicine is a wonder drug. I suffer with fibro. Anyone who says it doesnt needs to be on 900 a day to start with. Finally pain free no anxiety, i still have to be aware not to roll down hills with my great nephew, it hurts.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 18, 2018

“I AM IN SHOCK!! I have suffered from leg pain chronic for 20 years. nothing has worked other then tyelnol 3 codeine. My doctor prescribed gaba - 6 pills a day so total of 600mg. I am pain free 4 to 5 hours , then i need another dose. I am so happy I could cry. This is a horrible illness to live with daily - fibromalagia. good luck everyone.”

CG · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 21, 2019

“Put off taking this medication for half a year as I was worried about possible side effects. I've tried other medications for Fibro and this has been the most useful so far. I'd say it gets rid of 30-40% of my Fibro-derived pain, and it helps immensely with mental fog, anxiety, and fatigue. Side effects include a bit of dizziness for the first hour or so after taking the pill and a very small amount of weight gain.”

Lynsieloverly October 5, 2015

“Gabapentin saved my life! It literally cured EVERYTHING FOR ME, that nothing else could treat: migraine, nerve pain, muscle pain, anxiety, ADHD, and depression. I feel like I'm free to be myself again. And I can focus, breath, and smile. Thank you God. I Seriously recommend it to anyone with any of my diseases.”

NinaRenee June 10, 2015

“I am 49 and been suffering with fibromyalgia for years. I have been disabled because of it. Six weeks ago I had the worst flare up in years and the pain was so overwhelming I barely left the house. I got a new doctor who gave me Gabapentin and started me out on the lowest dose possible. I had never heard of it but assumed because of the low dose, 100 mg to start with it would take a while to feel any effects. I woke up the next morning almost pain free. I felt like I won the lottery. I don't understand what or why it worked so fast but I thank God for it. I do have drowsiness but it's well worth it. I have had some pain some then and am still building up my dosage but my quality of life has improved drastically in just a few days.”

TheMama March 2, 2012

Neurontin (gabapentin): “Ever since I started on Neurontin, it's really helped the fibromyalgia pain to be under much better control than before. I highly recommend it as a treatment. The only side effect that I've experienced so far is a rebound of pain when too much time has passed in between doses. I have found that spacing it out every 8 hrs instead of just 3x/day provides better relief of symptoms from FM.”

Sasha · Taken for 10 years or more August 18, 2019

“I was first prescribed gabapentin back in 1997 by a pain doctor. It was one of three medications to be used in unison for my back pain. Since then I've developed fibromyalgia and the trio of meds have ended with the opioid obsession. I now take 3600mg of gabapentin daily. 1200mg three times daily. It works great. I started out with a much lower dose and as the fibro got worse the dosage increased. Another great thing about this drug is that it's free with my mail away insurance drug company. To those who think it doesn't work, perhaps the dose was too low or you were misdiagnosed.”

Marebear1002 · Taken for less than 1 month May 23, 2013

“I have severe fibromyalgia, severe Crohn's Disease and other conditions associated with these. I've taken pain medicines and Lyrica with little help. I was put on 600 mg of Gabapentin and the results were fantastic. Helped my Crohn's and arthritis also. Very happy.”

Smart (UK) July 12, 2016

“People often feel inclined to share negative experiences so I thought I would add my positive one in case anybody feels encouraged. I have Fibro, POTs, scoliosis, complex regional pain syndrome and a few other minor issues. I work part time and am a single mum (not all partners wish to hang around once you get poorly lol). I spent many years struggling with my symptoms but a new Dr invited me to try Gabapentin. I worked up to a dose of 900mg twice a day and 1200mg at night. I have to say I would not be without it. Gone are the restless legs which kept me awake at night, gone is the interminable insomnia, irritable bladder, IBS flares.. My pains are dulled. I didn't get headaches, I don't feel dizzy beyond my normal POTs symptoms. I rate it!”

Morgan Comfort April 10, 2013

Gralise (gabapentin): “After decades on pain meds, they are working less and less. In addition to fibromylgia I have bulging and herniated discs, neuropathy, and (controlled) epilepsy. I have learned to live with constant pain. My Doc suggested Gralise (gabapentin) and said that he felt confident I would see good results. I am AMAZED. I saw immediate improvement in my ability to walk and move around. I am experiencing considerably less pain. I am concerned because my insurance will not cover the brand (which is time released) that I am taking and it is expensive, but I remain optimistic and I will try the 3 times a day dosages. I have not felt this good in many years.”

Lo22 May 8, 2013

“Gabapentin has saved my life. I am able to function now. Dealing with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and fibromyalgia for the past 20 years has been a challenge, not to mention the pain. I felt like I was a guinea pig, trying all the medicines out there and being allergic to most of them while the others didn't come close to working. But with the gabapentin, I was so tired but after a while that went away. I wanted to up the dosage but my doctor did it very slowly. Even though I am not 100% pain free at this time, I can function and be happy. I will always have this medicine with me so I will never miss a dose.”

Tradeguy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 13, 2015

“I take 4 doses of 300mg Gabapentin every day, and it completely interrupts my regular daily pain cycle. It is also an excellent analgesic enhancer when taken with other pain meds. No side effects that other than mild sedation, and nothing like brain-numbing Lyrica.”

nina72 March 23, 2013

“I have been on Neurontin for fibromyalgia pain, and sciatica nerve pain for several months. I can truly say it is a miracle for me. I can hardly get out of bed in the morning, and when I do, I feel like I have been hit by a truck. When I take my Neurontin,(600mg 3 x a day) I feel so much better. I have energy to get things done, and it makes the stiffness I feel in my muscles relax more to ease the pain. I have gained a little weight on this medicine, but when the warmer weather hits, I am going to try and get outside and get some exercise. It helps with my high anxiety levels as well, and my psych doc told me that this is a wonderful medicine for anxiety and depression as well. I consider it my miracle pill.”

Learn more about Fibromyalgia