User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 172 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Anxiety

"I've had bad anxiety since I was a teen (now 38). I was usually prescribed a benzo, their effective yet very addictive. Anyway, I take 800mg of gabapentin 3x daily with Prozac and they work very well together and I'm finally getting used to not having to take benzos anymore. And my sciatica pain is greatly reduced. God bless."

Friendly person from WB (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So for it help with my anxiety. But with pain I wonder do it help with that."

Ctousant1956 March 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am truly amazed by how well this works for my anxiety. I have PTSD, nightmares and waking up from them would ruin my day I would have flashbacks but ever since I started this new medication I feel normal which is something I am not used to it is definitely exciting to know that I don't feel anxious to the point of feeling like I can't breathe I feel normal and that is amazing.. I don't even feel that I need my Xanax. Which is a huge relief and I am so happy that I finally found a medication that can help with my High anxiety and PTSD without having to take so many benzo's"

Bigal0919 (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For years I could not pinpoint what was causing such cripling anxiety, insomnia and issues with focus and low grade mood issues. Then after doing some family geneaology, I realized I had inherited traits from a side of the family with the Bipolar Disorder. I quickly started taking Neurontin and within the span of literally 1 (one) day the issues started to resolve almost immediately. I can now drive, go out in public, interact with more people, get a great sleep and I have less racing thoughts than ever before. It has also helped manage and eliminate some nerve pain from a damaged nerve due to lung surgery in 2005. I also take Lamictal for my low grade moods. I have what is known as Cyclothymia, a unique form of the Bipolar disorder."

ScottishZen (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 11, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"On Neurontin (300 mg 3x a day) for nerve pain. It's fascinating to read polar opposite experiences with this drug - depression/anxiety reduction, seizures/anti-seizure, pain/pain reduction etc. Apparently, too tight this will loosen you, too loose this will unravel you. I guess I was "too tight", this has been marvellous for reducing pain as well as anxiety. My only discomfort is that if I don't take it I go into a tailspin within a day or two, very (very) irritable, hyper-anxious and insomniac. I also find that increasing the dosage is, well, a little TOO pleasant, it makes it tempting to abuse it. Oh, one thing, I can see why this is called "GABApentin", if I take all 900 mg before bedtime I wake up chattering like a monkey. :)"

kib (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 8, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"They are amazing took the anxiety away. A little time to get use to them but they really work."

I take 4 times a day 400 mg February 17, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I use gabapentin to treat my anxiety, tried every other medication, at least 30 over the years I take a very small amount each day one capsule which I open will last 2 weeks, very few side effects great medication."

james4512 February 9, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Suffered from extreme anxiety and depression for years. Now taking 900mg of gabapentin daily and anxiety has disappeared. Side effects dizziness, unpleasant tasting food but worth it as anxiety is gone."

Anxiety Freedom (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Love it! Gabapentin seriously altered my life in a good way. Reached out to old friends, no longer get blitz drunk at social events. Answer my phone. Started a business. I am networking with peers even! Just a great little helper in life. I highly recommend this (under physician direction) if you want something that has little side effects. Keep in mind you have to alter dose to keep it effective i.e. - lower the intake a few days per week. Also, watch out on going completely off after using a while - definitely taper and use CBT as you'll kinda notice some negative thoughts. I sleep great My dosing = 300mg w/coffee early, 300 more 1 hr later, followed by 300 2hrs and 300 2 hrs later - another 200 if going out for the evening."

Mr. Social (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 7, 2017

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was taken off of Alprazolam, cold turkey, and given Gabapentin to help with possible withdrawal. This was a NIGHTMARE!!! I had taken Gabapentin for a short period of time before, for Carpel Tunnel, but it gave me what I call "drunk body syndrome", and I would be off balance, bump into things, etc. I didn't really have negative effects while taking Gabapentin this time around UNTIL I stopped taking it. No one told me to very veryyyyy gradually ween myself off. I almost immediately went back & forth between having the most severe hot flashes one could even imagine (I mean, I was sweating bullets like a mad woman), cold chills, terrible body aches, flushed face, severe anxiety. It felt like the flu. Called my Dr and went back on Alprazolam."

CokoPicasso (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Stay away from off label meds.. had anxiety now suffer random muscle twitching tingling and insomnia. The nightmares when you do sleep definitely dont help the anxiety!"

Jamzor (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went on this when starting an alcohol cessation program and have been on it for a couple of years. I take 1600 mg a day. I sleep better and have less anxiety because of it, and it does not have any negative side effects for me. My doctor has wanted to take me off it because she says it's not supposed to be prescribed for anxiety but I find that when I stop taking it or forget to take it, I have problems dealing with anxiety issues and generally find myself more relaxed and able to cope with the stresses of life."

metafouryears January 27, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am not sure yet if it working, but from a scale of 1 to 10, I would have to say "8". I have back pain, stress, and anxiety. If this is a cure all for all with out having to resort to Vicodin, bring it on."

Napili Beach January 16, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take 900mg every night night for social and generalized anxiety and 100mg several times per day as needed for breakthrough panic attacks--which isn't very often. I had been prescribed several different SSRIs before for my social anxiety, none of which worked, but Gabapentin was like a miracle for me. It was almost as if someone flipped a switch in my head when I started taking it."

Bob2 January 11, 2017

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It has been a godsend anxiety treatment for me, relieving me of what was once crippling anxiety."

Emma_Nova January 7, 2017

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a very severe pain from my upper back to my neck.The pain was extremely severe.My Doctor prescribed Gabapantin It works like a champ."

Bright star shia (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on vistaril, which worked for a while, but stopped working because with my OCD, I am terrified of taking med's that come in capsules. My doctor finally put me on Gabapentin, and it works like a charm. The only side effect of note has been dry mouth, which is easily taken care of. I love this med."

pcworkman (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am taking this medicine for severe anxiety and worry. I've tried many other medicines with little benefit and my doctor said that gabapentin works well in patients where the traditional SSRI's don't work. She was right. Within THREE DAYS I found significant relief from my symptoms. The only downside is INSOMNIA. Not sure this is even a common side effect but I haven't slept in like five days. Hoping I don't have to get off of the medicine because it is really helping me, but man am I tired."

MicheleC1975 December 21, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It is the only anxiety medication I have found with any legitimate effect for me."

Shane79 December 12, 2016

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"AS like so many others have posted, I too have had major depression,bi-polar disorder,and anxiety. I've been on every med imaginable for these diagnoses and they all have stopped working. My current regimen is Cymbalta 90mg bid and Zyprexa 5mg @bedtime. I now have been taking gabapentin 400mg tid. (I'm also a recovering opiate addict.) anyways, the gabapentin seems to give me a pleasant type of calmness. I am saying tons of prayers that this is the missing piece for me. I'll try ANYTHING to get my life back. ANYTHING"

RNBSN97 (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2016

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this for nerve pain in neck and back. It has helped with the pain but the unexpected mood enhancement side affect has been very welcome. I didn't realise how much of my time was taken up with negative thoughts and mild depression. I am much more focused and positive. It's like aspects of my personality that had been wittled away by the rigours of daily life have returned. I am also a performer and have found it very calming. After experimenting with dosages and working out the trade off between pain relif and drowsiness I found a level. My only side affect which I haven't noticed anyone mentioning in the reviews is that I pee more often. But I'm so laid back these days that it doesn't matter lol."

Mutzle December 5, 2016

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I found a huge difference just from day 1. I have noticed a huge difference in my depression. I had gained a lot of weight though I don't know if that's from getting clean or not. It really does help though."

Lesa1983 November 30, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking this med for 3 months for severe anxiety. Every night I have a complete mental breakdown for at least the past 2 months while trying to go to sleep. I've slightly lost feeling in parts of my face, my speech is slurred , and I can't think. Before taking this medication I lived a very active lifestyle and now I have no motivation to do anything. I don't even leave my house unless I have to. To top that all off I'm severely depressed . Don't take this medication for anxiety."

Fuck no (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this for Anxiety never should have had such strong medication for that as it controls seizures and brain injurys. My physical health& nerves were fine before this. Nuerontin destroyed the nerves in my hands& feet& gave me Peripheral& Axonal Neuropathy. Ironically its used to treat these nerve conditions but because my nerves were fine before taking it,It did the opposite and destroyed the nerves in my hands& feet destroying my life. Have been disabled 8 yrs for trusting my Dr and the damage is irreversable. Drs shouldn't use patientz as guinea pigs and pharmaceutical companies should not e allowed to give medication not intended for medical conditions.I have lost 8 yrs of my life due to this medication and am not diabetic."

Anonymous November 24, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking Gabapentin for about 8 months and I don't feel any benefit from it. My doctor increased my dosage about 2 months ago and still I find no help in this drug for me. I am not saying that this drug doesn't work for others, but for me it is a waste. My friend takes this drug and it works great for her. I must be medication resistant. What bothers me is that my doctor continues to tell me to stay on it and I want to gradually wean off it. My doctor doesn't hear me. So I will find another doctor who will. As far as a pain reliever, this drug does not even cover my restless leg syndrome. Strange."

lovenature (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 5, 2016