User Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Neurontin, Gralise, Gabarone, Fanatrex

Gabapentin has an average rating of 7.9 out of 10 from a total of 372 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety. 74% of those users who reviewed Gabapentin reported a positive effect, while 15% reported a negative effect.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

7.9/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Gabapentin

Gemini-star · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2021

“I have been dealing with anxiety, depression, and headache for the past 12 months. This drug works fine with easing the tension and headache. However, one needs to be careful with taking this drug for too long because one's body gets used to it and thus will not have the same effect like before.”

KeKe April 21, 2021

“I have suffered with anxiety and depression for a long time, not fully understanding what was wrong with me and also self medicating with drugs and alcohol and general avoidance. Last year it became too much to bare since I had started a new career and was in grad school, moved to a new city and also trying to survive a pandemic. My doc put my on lexapro which seemed pretty awful to some degree but it wasn’t quite right. I went to a psychiatrist to see if there might be something more appropriate and she added gabapentin to my lexapro and it was almost instantly so much better. As someone else mentioned below, I am able to be myself and speak without fear of saying the wrong thing, over analyzing every detail and my self consciousness seemed to disappear. I feel a general sense of peace and calm and my insomnia is gone! I hope it lasts!”

Sarah · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 17, 2021

“I have crippling anxiety. I’ve tried soooo many other medications. Benzo’s I found myself just too tired to do anything and they made me feel not myself. With gabapentin I somehow feel so relaxed but I also have energy at the same time. And my social anxiety is almost non existent. It’s truly a miracle drug that I wish more people knew about for anxiety!”

HBerry · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 5, 2021

“This is the best medication for anxiety that I've ever tried. You know what it makes me feel like? Like when I was a child before I developed anxiety. I spoke freely. I didn't worry about being judged. So now with this med, I'm not analyzing every word that I say before I say it while panicking that I might say the "wrong" thing. I speak freely and comfortably again. I am myself.”

Reborn · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 26, 2021

“I am being treated for treatment resistant depression, GAD with panic disorder and PTSD. I have been on many different combinations of meds with no relief. My psychiatrist recommended a more aggressive approach, electro convulsive therapy. I went home feeling defeated and cold turkey stopped all my meds. SUPER BAD IDEA!! I had very bad "discontinuation effects" they don't call it withdrawals but it very much was. Luckily I have a supportive husband who helped me find a new doctor. She asked if I had tried gabapentin. I had never heard of it. I started at 100mg 3 times a day and am currently at 1200mg 3 times a day along with 225mg effexor and 45mg remeron for sleep. I no longer suffer! I haven't had a panic attack in months and my mood is generally very good. I love the fact that I can still feel too. I still experience a full range of emotions appropriate for the situation. I laugh, I cry, I get excited, I get scared. I feel in control of myself for the first time in years.”

Zamara · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 6, 2020

“I had developed anorexia, PTSD, and OCD after a sexual assault. Gabapentin helped me with OCD especially. When I would wake up in the morning, my mind would repeat the same thought over and over and my mood swings were crazy. They wouldn't stop. I started taking 1/2 of a tablet under my tongue every morning with food. Now my mind is quiet and serene. I feel so joyful and optimistic every day. I'm so productive and motivated at work. This is truly a miracle drug.”

shura June 1, 2020

“I am someone who has a whole laundry list of problems (bipolar II with psychotic features, depression, generalized anxiety, ADHD, panic disorder, and dpdr) so that means I have to take a ton of medication and have been in therapy since I was 13. I just started gabapentin at 300 mg 3x a day and my anxiety is almost nonexistent. I used to be absolutely paralyzed by fear at random points during the day for seemingly no reason. To the point that all of my muscles would tense and I would feel like they are on fire. This is the only medication that has helped.”

John · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2020

“Hey, gabapentin has done wonders for me. I can clearly feel the difference between not taking it and taking it. In school my anxiety is a big problem, I couldn’t even look at my classmates, it felt like my body was locked and I couldn’t speak or look elsewhere than my pc. When using gabapentin these problems is just gone, I’m happy, concentrated and very energetic. It is the best”

Amelia · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 18, 2019

“I wasted time with talk therapy and antidepressants. Then by chance I took gabapentin for pain when I got shingles. I noticed that my generalized anxiety went away. I also sleep a lot better. I take 200 mg in the morning and 200mg at night. I had to get used to it - it made me feel fuzzy brained at first. Before gabapentin I used to like to have a cocktail to calm my nerves. Now drinking alcohol doesn't even sound good. I feel calm. Why isn't this prescribed more? I had to ask for it.”

larenb7894 · Taken for 10 years or more May 24, 2012

Neurontin (gabapentin): “Neurontin has changed my life dramatically. I suffered from high anxiety with panic and anxiety attacks. I started this medicine at about 19 and had been off and on it the past 13 years. It literally has made me a new person. When I don't use it I notice a lot of fatigue, worry, anxiety, etc. When I am using this medication, I can concentrate on the better side of things and am not so negative. In the beginning it did have some side effects such as a "loopy" feeling. Over time that did pass, and now gives me energy to get through the day. I am on 300mg 3 x day. I can also sleep much easier, and my carpal tunnel syndrome is dramatically better. Before I felt very snappy and impatient, now I handle things with a much more calm disposition. Love it.”

Gechie · Taken for less than 1 month August 21, 2020

“I just got on this gabapentin 300 mg a day and so far I love it. I read tons of info on many, many anti anxiety meds. Was on zoloft that made it worse with suicide thoughts. That med can permanently change your brain. Gabapentin also helps my body pains. Hopefully will stay on this dose although many people take higher daily doses. Been less than a month”

Biff VanHusen · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 8, 2019

“Started off at 300mg 3 x a day for anxiety, depression and insomnia. Didn’t really do much at that level so the psychiatrist increased it to 400mg 3x a day and then upped it to 400mg 4x a day. I used to be on lorazepam for anxiety but stopped taking that because of the side effects. I can tell you with 100% confidence that I’m feeling better on Gabapentin than anything I’ve ever been prescribed for anxiety and depression. I’ve also been sleeping through the night uninterrupted, which I haven’t been able to do for the past 20 years. This stuff works people, as long as it’s at the right dose for your personal needs.”

kris December 13, 2019

“I've struggled with moderate to severe generalized anxiety for all of my life - mostly related to social and performance situations. I've tried many different drugs and have never been sure that they worked. Then I was prescribed Neurontin, and I can 100% feel the difference. My anxiety has decreased significantly on this drug. It sedates me nicely to the point that I'm still completely alert and myself, but I'm so much more easygoing and relaxed. My physical symptoms related to anxiety are still there but I feel less anxious about them, if that makes sense. It just makes the world much more bearable. There are some negative side effects - such as low sex drive, dizziness (which went away after taking for a few weeks), and sometimes I get extra teary. But it's not much of a price to pay if it helps with the main demon of anxiety! Drugs affect everyone differently, but if you think your life is negatively affected by anxiety, it's definitely worth trying.”

Micky · Taken for less than 1 month January 19, 2020

“I am prescribed 300mg a day but can take up to 600mg. I noticed mood stabilization and anxiety riddance by day 4 or 5. The first week I was extremely high on this medication I even left my phone in a Chinese tea shop and had to turn around no joke. I am now enjoying living on campus at ASU and am getting out more by myself. It is helping me more than my benzo script ever did and I’m in a low dosage! I got a fever as a side effect when I first started but now it is gone.”

Seth March 20, 2021

“So I noticed a lot of people post on here as soon as they start taking it great reviews, but then we never hear from them again. I thought it might be helpful to readers to see how the medicine continues to work for me. Week 2 : 5 days ago I increased to 300mg 2x day. At first I felt really anxious after taking it. I also had a foggy, drunk feeling & blurred vision. After a couple days most side effects went away. I still will get very anxious after taking it, sometimes. This drug is weird. I feel like there is no consistency, or perhaps my dose is wrong? For the first time in my life I feel DRUGGED. There are moments I feel better but don't feel myself? One night I split my night dose into two 150mg doses. That was my best night. I think I will try that again tonight. Good luck to all of you who have Anxiety and Depression. I have found that anxiety and depression is an addiction, for I am addicted to feeling normal again.”

SunJester · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 23, 2019

“I was rediagnosed after suicidal behavior had me on a hold. I was placed on 400mg 3x daily. The sleeping medication my doctor wished to have me on was denied by insurance and I began to take an extra dose before bed, making sure my psychiatrist knew I'd improvised. She agreed to change my script since it was working. The difference in my life has been incredible. I feel very little anxiety, my behavior is much less problematic interpersonally, and my productivity is through the roof. I'm also on bupropion 300mg XR. I've had almost no side effects. My cravings for alcohol are gone. I'm actually living for the first time in my adult life. The only thing that worries me is the possibility of withdrawal symptoms but it's worth the risk considering the effect it's had.”

Shelly Lynn January 16, 2015

“After a hard divorce at a young age I became an addict meds. When I searched for help I found an amazing doctor that I feel cares about my well being not just there to give me meds. One of the medications he had given me was Neurontin(gabapentin) and it has helped not only with my anxiety but I also get horrible sciatic nerve pain ( when I'm sitting for long periods of time and at night when I'm sleeping) it has helped so much. I can take it during the day which helps my anxiety and at night helps me get a good night sleep as well as the nerve pain. I would recommend this medication for anyone struggling with these issues. I hope this helped just one person.”

InfidelMike · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 17, 2020

“No bad side effects. The best drug for anxiety next to Ativan. The only weird, but enjoyable side effect was Closed Eye Visuals or CEVs. I would wake in the middle of the night and with my eyes closed, I would see beautiful brightly colored patterns, which I would enjoy until I drifted off to sleep again. I take 600mg 3x per day.”

Wikid June 18, 2015

“I suffer from panic attacks that have been occurring for the last four years, the had me on a medication regiment of Xanax, two mgs four times a day and Clonazepam 1mg two times a day, and I in turn became dependant on those. So for the last month I tapered myself off of the Xanax and Clonazepam and was subsequently put on Gapapentin and I have to say I've never felt better. This medication has been the only thing that has helped as much as the better than Benzo's. I must say this medication really is a miracle anxiety drug. Nothing has EVER worked like this and I shoud add I've tryed over 30 medications to stop my severe anxiety, I hope this helps at least one person.”

XpiLLzZz · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 21, 2019

“Gabapentin is great! 300mg x2 daily All my anxiety is gone, the pain on my neck, shoulders and legs as well. Finally, I found the right medication after trying so many different prescription's for my anxiety. I give it a solid 10!”

GIRLWHOTRIEDALLDRUGS · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2020

“So I have to say gabapentin is by far the best drug I’ve even been prescribed for anxiety. And I have gone through ALOT of meds. I have bpd, dysthymia and generalized anxiety. It does not knock you out like benzos Makes you calm and yes that comes with a little tiredness but still able to function. Trust me and I am 120 pounds 300mg twice daily.”

JMWJ May 6, 2014

“I have had periodic depression for years, and general anxiety problems as well, lately they had been getting worse. I cannot tolerate the SSRI anti-depressants, can't even tell any effect when I take Buspar, was taking Clonazepam when things got really bad. I went back to see a Dr. I have great respect for, had another QEEG, he said I have a "fast brain" (Gross CNS hyperarousal). Started me on 300 mg Gabapentin at bedtime. Noticed a calming, mellowing effect the first day. Before I could not stop my mind from racing, from obsessing, and would get almost paralyzed to do anything. I feel so much better, my mind is calm, depression is lifted, and no side effects other than a very, very slight fogginess. So far, for me - amazing.”

bryan72 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 5, 2015

“I am 42 yes old and have had social anxiety my whole life. It's been hard to deal with. I became an addict because I couldn't cope. After serving in the military I went to the VA for help. I was on so many medicines I can't remember them all. Gabapentin has changed my life. Been completely clean for years and no anxiety.”

K · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 13, 2019

“Gabapenin let's me LIVE LIFE!! I have HORRIBLE social anxiety, it has made me miss many important moments in my sons life because I get too scared and nervous to leave the house. Xanax and klonopin both helped to a small degree, but it was still hard for me to do simple things like go to a store. Then my doctor prescribed me gabapentin and all I can say is it is AMAZING for social anxiety! I highly, highly recommend to anyone with social anxiety. It changed my life.”

josiah · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 31, 2020

“I too went through the awful nightmare when I quit gabapentin. In the past I have quit xanax, alcohol, cocaine and a few others and those drugs were a cake walk compared to gabapentin. I have never felt such anxiety and hopelessness.”

Troy August 21, 2018

“Hey I’m Troy I live in California. I don’t know where to start so I’ll just tell you what I’ve been through and how this medication helped me. I’ve been bullied since grade 5 about a multitude of things. My whole life (so far) I’ve always felt different. Like I see things a lot differently than other people and I suffer from existential anxiety and severe anxiety. Always wondering why we’re here how we got here what’s the meaning of life blah blah blah. Anyways, you get my point and maybe you even relate to me. I’ve tried a bunch of medications to help me like: hydroxyzine, lexapro, abilify, adderall, strattera, Wellbutrin and a lot more I can’t remember atm. Anyways Gabapentin - after taking it for two days has already changed my thoughts, and my actions this medication makes me feel extremely happy, outgoing, at ease, and just overall fine. My thoughts no longer take control of me and drive me insane. Thank you Neurontin.”

Anxiety Mood disorder Stan · Taken for 10 years or more September 9, 2014

“I have been on Neurontin since 1997 (2500 mg) for generalized anxiety. Just fear of doing anything. I think most reading this get it without me going into great detail. Buspar was not helpful. My psychiatrist was reluctant to use benzodiazepiness because of alcohol abuse issues. I am on mood stabilizing medicines, and antidepressants and had been for 7 years before my "life saving". It took me three months to believe the anxiety wouldn't return as a 24/365 nightmare. I didn't know how bad it was until it stopped. ”

JulieHeart · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 20, 2019

“gabapentin works differently for everyone. I took it for anxiety but only temporarily because of concentration issues. I took 100mg every 6 hours and it helped me for a while. Currently, my anxiety is under control, but my mood is down. A combo of an antidepressant and gabapentin is a perfect match, but it doesn't work for everyone. It will either work or won't. The great thing about this medication is that you don't have to wait several weeks for it to work. It usually works immediately but if your anxiety is high then give it at least a week and at the right dosage for it to work. Some people can handle 300mg and some people need 1,800mg to be effective. Give it a chance before quitting.”