User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Anxiety

"Very good for anxiety. reflects many modes of anxiety BUT... this drug may give you panic attack and restless leg syndrome (Which is weird as this drug is used to treat restless leg syndrome)"

RETT SVART (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took 1200 mg of gabapentin for a year for anxiety after stopping citalopram and diazepam. It had no effect at all. I felt the same before I started it, when I was on it, and after I had stopped it. It didn't even have side effects. It did nothing. I have been on numerous SSRI'S, Seroquel, lithium, Lamictal and benzos for bipolar 2 with episodes of depressive/anxiety. Thankfully, the government disability insurance paid for gabapentin and not me."

WACB August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 300 mg 3x a day and I feel the best I've felt in 10 years. Nothing has worked to calm my anxiety like Gabapentin including Klonopin or Xanax. I'm happy, relaxed, motivated and most importantly my appetite for alcohol which I used excessively to calm my anxiety has completely disappeared. I hope I can take this medication for forever. Life is finally good again."

Amazing Results for Anxiety (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had pretty bad anxiety. My Doctor said to take 300mg of Gabapentin three times a day. The first time I took it was at night, before bed. It made me a little drunk feeling or maybe dopey. But, not a bad feeling. Not dizzy, not falling down - no other side effects. Made me a little sleepy to help with my insomnia. Next day - took 300mg at 9:00 a.m. - no problems, no side effects, nothing. Just anxiety relief. Once in a while I can feel the anxiety after about 6 hours when I need to take another pill. Started taking 600mg at bed time to help with sleep. The first time I raised the dose, it made me a little more tired and a little tipsy feeling. But only once. For anxiety, this stuff worked great for me with no side effects!!!"

SpazzyLee (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started talking 600 mg three times a day for anxiety. It has done wonders. I used to have really bad anxiety when driving. I no longer have it. I also have really bad social anxiety. Now.... I sometimes can't stop talking to everyone. lol The only downside is I feel a little weak and sleepy sometimes. Which makes it hard having a toddler."

LeiLove August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been suffering from the anxiety for the past four years. I have been on Ativan, Xanax, and many SSRI drugs. Nothing helped. As a matter fact, the SSRI drugs made my anxiety worse. Finally a psychiatrist prescribed gabapentin. It has been a miracle for me. I don't have any side effects whatsoever. All of the physical symptoms of anxiety (heart palpitations, shortness of breath, sweating, tiredness) have disappeared. I I also feel more "even." I have more patience and I'm not in such a rush to do things. I take three 300 mg pills a day. I am so thankful for finding this drug. I know how hard it is to try different medications and have them not work. I hope anybody who is suffering from anxiety finally finds a medication that helps."

Chealseav (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After a 4 day hospitalization for anxiety and to reduce prescription drug usage I was disturbed by the zombifying drugs I was prescribed (Trazodone, Abilify, Lithium). I'd been having a very hard time leaving my house and answering the phone. I was eventually prescribed Gabapentin while I continued to titrate off of Xanax. While I've started craving sweets and drinking sodas ( I ate an entire cake in 24 hours) I am feeling much better. It does not, however, help me sleep. I try to take my last dose before 6pm. I experimented last night and took it right before bed and I woke up every couple of hours. I have unusual reactions to meds and adjust my expectations and understanding of side effects. This is a helpful drug for anxiety."

the struggle is real August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had Anxiety since I was a little child 6 yrs old to be exact. So over the years ( I'm 56 now) I've also developed PTSD, OCD Depression And recently agoraphobia..under a former Drs Orders because I'm such a severe case I was prescribed 4mg of xanax and 4mg of Klonopin along with 10/325 hydrocodone 5 times a day for severe neck and back pain from bulging discs causing spinal stenosis all throughout from my neck all the way down to my lumbar spine. Already had spinal fusion at L5S1. I ended up overdosing when he added Percocet. I found a new Dr.and he weaned me safely off of everything and now I'm taking 2400 mg of Gabapentin it has been a miracle. Best med by far for my Anxiety. Sill need neck surgery but my Anxiety has left the bldg."

Lucky131361 August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication made me really down . It was completely ineffective for my neuropathy. I would highly recommend that no one take this medication."

Lezk99 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication was working for my anxiety but never really made it go away. My psychiatrist kept insisting raising dosage since was only taking 200mg at night & 200mg in morning. So I started taking 300mg at night for a week and woke up completely disoriented with the whole room moving, vomiting, falling down. I couldn't even sit anymore or lift head without falling backwards and would throw up in the car (someone had to drive me to doc) All these symptoms are so horrible with anxiety. I lowered dose back to 200mg that day 2 times a day. It's been 5 days and still have symptoms. Be careful with this med. I never had symptoms before the increase."

Nuc1 July 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I started taking gaba 2 years ago for anxiety but yet I became more and more of an alcoholic. I did not even know that this medication was for that. Now I went to the doctor and am on other meds and gaba is making me a to talk backwards, forget with in minutes and disoriented . I sleep ill noon and then run into things. My doctor didn't think he should mention this but the pharmacist did. I have a child. Please do your research."

Crazy drunk (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on gabapentin and prozac for 18 months now and seem to be tolerating it well. I was taking a Effexor before, and having problems. Coming off of Effexor shot my GAD through the roof and I ended up in hospital. Bad scene. They don't prescribe benzodiazepines for long term use anymore, but gabapentin seems to be working, and with less side effects."

SuperGene July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this medication for about two weeks, I take 150mg twice a day so 300mg a day. At first I slept a lot! but it really does help with my generalized anxiety."

KatStacks July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been suffering from Anxiety, nervousness and depression for the last 6 years. I've taken 150mg Zoloft for 8 weeks and while my depression is OK, my anxiety is still there. I take 125mg Trazadone to help me sleep. I'm tapering down my diazepam (valium) which first helped but than made me worse. I just started Gabapentin 3 days ago.The first day I took 100mg and it really relaxed me, even better than any benzo can now. Side effects are blurred vision, dizziness and weakness. Hope these will go away in the next two weeks."

PaulMartin16 (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started off on 100mg for anxiety for 6 months now my doctor bumped it up to 600mg a day.... It doesn't work for my aniexty It works good for my nerve pain in hands, legs, arms.... It's not a good Medicine for anxiety"

Kasmine12 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Day 1 , I am 27 type 1 diabetic diagnosed 2 years ago I live on my own I feel let down a lot with how the NHS prolongs people's misery unknowingly of course. I'm not saying they are bad , they are angels, a lot of them have saved my life a few times I owe a lot to them . I have had the most excruciating pain in chest, body, back, arms, legs, toes, fingers, head you name it. I have had pain in all forms like stabbing burning aching pounding for months on end, not thinking clea,r having endless plans of how I'm going to turn everything around, but I would never be able to due to pain anxiety attacks and nerve pain. I felt hopeless until today I got the point across to my doctor and he gave me gabapentin omg I've rebooted I'm non stop moving and achieving. Yay"

Vincentpheonix2017 (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just started taking gabapentin. Nervous about taking it . Have been taking it for one week. Currently taking 100 mg 2 x daily. Not sure if it is working. Reassured by positive feedback on this site but part of my problem is fear about taking pills. How long before you start to feel comfortable with this med?"

Hoping for help June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For the last 7 years I have had severe anxiety, panic attacks, and insomnia. I was given remeron for sleep and klonopin for anxiety. Recently my pdoc and I decided it's time for me to get off the benzos. She gave me gabapentin and it's been a life saver. I'm doing well at gradually tapering off klonopin. The only drawback I find is that gabapentin wears off rather fast, and your body builds up a tolerance really fast. Been on it for 3 months now. I started at 100mg 3 times a day. Within a month I was up to 300mg 3xdaily and 600mg at night. Currently I am only taking it PRN at 300mg. As someone who has tried every mood stabilizer and anxiety medication under the sun. Gabapentin is amazing!"

Detox Steph (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I first took this drug it was amazing almost seemed as though I were tapping into the right side of my pain crazy right. I Love Love Love it, but seems like it started wearing off so took larger dose worked but again wore off. Don't know what the answer is. But It was an awesome drug bless the day they started it to us anxiety people........."

Nanxy (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"They help with my stress. And calm down my restless legs a lot. Make me a little drowsy."

Annette still (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication has worked wonders for me..it changed my life I was a the verge of suicide. It brought me out of my shell and now I'm going back to school and doing well..thanks to this medication."

Lilil June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor put me on this to help with my anxiety symptoms which include tight and sore jaw, tight and sore shoulders and tight and sore stomach. Not only did it take all that away, it helps me to sleep. I used to sleep great and didn't have these anxiety symptoms before my gastric sleeve surgery but ever since, I am developed insomnia and these anxiety symptoms. This has been a life saver for me!"

tiz4tggr (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm diagnosed MDD & Bipolar, Type 2, and this is the first medication I've taken that has a significant positive impact on my anxiety without bad side effects. I usually worry, have circular negative thought patterns, and feel awkward and lost in my head most of the day. But I've gone from 300mg to 400mg and now to 600 mg of generic gabapentin, and it works wonderfully. It doesn't make me sleepy, unlike benzos. Like quite a few people, I've abused benzos in the past, but rarely get an urge to take too many gabapentin because of the limited recreational use. In conclusion: in my opinion, gabapentin is a wonder-drug for anxiety; especially for addicts and/or those with bipolar disorder."

b_mercy (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"In 2009 I was nearly crippled by severe general anxiety disorder and have taken xanax every single day of my life since. In the past year, through the use of regular yoga and meditation, I have weaned back to 1mg/day. However, I could never really sleep deeply and I could not go a night without xanax. I would basically get no sleep at all. Even with it, I would often wake up at 4am and need to take more. Two months ago I was prescribed duloxetine. I take it at bedtime and it helps, but it never really shut off that buzzing anxiety in the background of my brain. So doc started me on gabapentin and I have been sleeping like a baby and slowly reducing the xanax. It's even helped some with my fibromyalgia."

Smallu (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Gabapentin saved me from anxiety and I inadvertently weaned off of klonopin while on it. I love it. Improved my quality of life significantly!"

TaylorsArmy (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 5, 2017