User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Anxiety

"I started taking gabapentin for anxiety and it changed my life. It gave me a level of control in my life I never experienced before."

Canadan (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2018

"Hello Everone, Took forever to find a "current" forum on this drug - this one is great. My Dr. prescribed me Gabapentin for about the past 3 months and I've been skipping several days a week because I'm worried to death from what I've read everywhere, that it wears off in time. My days that I don't take it are very bad. Once I start daily, that's it, no turning back again. I don't want to face withdrawal when the time comes if won't continue working in 5 months, or 3 years etc. Just scared and so worried, that's why I am "saving" days for it to work well. If anyone here has searched like me, the internet is 95% nothing but very bad news on this medication. I don't know what to do..confused."

Patindaytona (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 7, 2018

"Amazing drug for anxiety, especially social anxiety. Whenever I take gabapentin I'm able to go out and socialize without problems. I've been taking this for 6 years. I never had any luck with any other drug, and I've tried so many. The only side affect I get with gabapentin is if you don't take it consistently you will get really depressed and angry. At least I do."

Sallyella (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 4, 2018

"Wow this medication is a lifesaver. It got me off Klonopin instantly. It did something unusual for me. I have Bipolar disorder type 2 and depression has just been my daily thing. This medication not only took away anxiety it completely took the depression away. I am on lamictal too. I have been on so many medications it’s scary. None of them working. This one has just sucked away my depression as if it never existed. I am amazed and even though I dislike medication, this one is a miracle. I take 1800 mg divided three times a day"

Lucy (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2018

"Saved my life. That's all I can say. I feel human again."

Joe (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2018

"I first starting taking this medicine in summer of 2017 for anxiety and panic disorder to help me from taking so much klonopin. I took 300mg 4x a day. To be honest it did help for a while but I think it's just because it was making me high. I know it doesn't directly affect gaba but it helps you detatch so you of course "feel better." Over time it will lose its potency though and I just ended up more depressed on it because it is a depressive drug. Since January 2018, I have been tapering down from 4 a day to almost just one 300mg per day and I've lost 20 lbs and my suicidal thoughts have been drastically reduced. I think this medication is probably good for short term use but overall not healthy to use for psychological reasons alone if you are prone to depressive thoughts or suicidal ideation."

Belle (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 14, 2018

"Works better for my anxiety than klonopin and xanax. Also puts me in a generally better mood."

K (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 11, 2018

"I have been on gabapentin for years. I have severe withdrawals. I stopped taking it for awhile, thinking I’m addicted, I went back on it because I wasn’t doing anything. Just watching TV All day. Now I swim, walk, take care of dogs, etc. I realized it helps me with anxiety and depression."

Zee (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 7, 2018

"Took 300mgs of Gabapentin today at 10:29am. Got really dizzy and my mouth felt a bit puffed up. But, I did not have that much anxiety. My anxiety makes my throat feel like it's going to close but when I took the gabapentin, I felt a lot better and now, at 5pm, my throat feels fine, my pain is gone and you know I feel a lot better. Supposed to be taking it 3 times a day. But, I am VERY scared of taking meds. But, once I found out gabapentin is a neurotransmitter and calms your nervous system, I felt better. Tired too. Maybe might get some sleep finally."

Gabayay (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2018

"I have been on this medicine for 3 year's. I take 3200mg daily in divided doses. I was put on it after I lost my husband to suicide in front of me."

KAT August 25, 2018

"Hey I’m Troy I live in California. I don’t know where to start so I’ll just tell you what I’ve been through and how this medication helped me. I’ve been bullied since grade 5 about a multitude of things. My whole life (so far) I’ve always felt different. Like I see things a lot differently than other people and I suffer from existential anxiety and severe anxiety. Always wondering why we’re here how we got here what’s the meaning of life blah blah blah. Anyways, you get my point and maybe you even relate to me. I’ve tried a bunch of medications to help me like: hydroxyzine, lexapro, abilify, adderall, strattera, Wellbutrin and a lot more I can’t remember atm. Anyways Gabapentin - after taking it for two days has already changed my thoughts, and my actions this medication makes me feel extremely happy, outgoing, at ease, and just overall fine. My thoughts no longer take control of me and drive me insane. Thank you Neurontin."

Troy August 21, 2018

"You definitely feel weird and spaced out for a few days but that will go away once your body gets used to it. I was prescribed 300mg 3X a day for pain. I also take OxyContin and Norco. It changed my whole life. My pain dr didn’t know about the years I have suffered with PTSD, GAD and severe tension. To the point where my muscles in my upper back, shoulders, neck and back of my head, including my jaw would tense so much that I had constant headaches. So severe that I would vomit. This went on for years. I tried EVERYTHING! So little did I know that when dr added gabapentin, it would change everything. I got my first 8 hr sleep in over 20 years. It helped with all the pain. I started going for walks, cleaning my house and doing projects again. I feel amazing! So please give it a chance to work. I know it feels weird and icky for a few days but that does go away. Don’t give up."

Jp patches (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 20, 2018

"On 400mg three times a day. Feel wonderful, but not drugged. I feel normal. No more anxiety or depression and I sleep 7 to 8 hours a night. For the people saying gabapentin isn't working for them: it could be because your dose is too low. I started at 100mg three times a day and it did nothing. Went up to 300mg three times a day and felt better, but still anxious and wasn't sleeping well. Went up to 400mg three times a day and it's working wonderfully. Don't give up. It's all about finding the right dose for you. Some people need a bigger dose three times a day to see results. Plus, it took about a month before I noticed the full results of the drug."

Halloween (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2018

"My psychiatrist put me on it to help me sleep. I have severe depression, anxiety, OCD and PTSD. I am a veteran. I have been on it for almost three months now, and I could not figure out what was wrong with me. I do have occasional bouts of anger, but my anger issues have gotten out of control. I find myself screaming and yelling at strangers, not to mention flipping drivers off. In addition, I am having memory loss that is worse than before, and it does not help me sleep at all. My depression is also 10 times worse. I am just waiting to be assigned to a new VA (I just moved), and get off this stuff safely. I take 900 mg a day (300 mg x 3 a night) for insomnia."

Ana (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2018

"I've had really severe anxiety for over 10 years. I've been prescribed Xanax, Klonopin, antihistamines, etc. The benzos somewhat worked. Anything else didn't touch it. When I say severe anxiety I mean tremors through my whole body, fainting, shortness of breath, the works.. Finally, someone suggested I try gabapentin. It was the best decision I have ever made. Since I've been taking 800mg twice a day my whole life has changed. I'm happy all the time, (I also suffer from depression and am currently taking an antidepressant that I can't spell lol), I have 50x more patience with my two young children, I have motivation to get things done, I keep busy all day rather than moping around and avoiding the world. This medication has changed my life and I highly recommend it to anyone who is suffering from severe anxiety or depression."

KayJay (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2018

"Somewhat effective. I was taking Klonopin for a few years, and was switched over. Gabapentin is very weak compared to Klonopin. I take 300mg 3x a day."

Gavin F (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 23, 2018

"I took Gabapentin 300mg at night and found it made me drowsy so l had to go to bed by 9pm. I woke up having after having awful bad dreams and anxiety for hours so I dumped the pills in the trash. What garbage! Don't ever take this before driving or at work!"

Ketapang July 18, 2018

"I absolutely love gabapentin. I was originally prescribed this for generalized anxiety disorder, but actually, it hits a few things on me at once. It calms my anxiety, helps my essential tremor, and soothes my restless legs syndrome. It's an essential and beneficial CNS med that I will happily take forever if need be. I do not experience any side effects whatsoever, although there was some dizziness when I first started taking it. I take 1800 mg per day."

OldHippieInOhio (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 2, 2018

"I've had terrible depression and anxiety for over 20 years. I was prescribed Paxil in 1995 and it worked great until last year. It just stopped working and I had horrible rebound depression, anxiety, panic attacks and insomnia. I felt really bad.. My CNP prescribed Gabapentin and I felt better after the first dose. I take 300mg three times a day and feel wonderful. No more anxiety, depression, constant worrying and it works great for insomnia. The first night I took it, I slept 8 hours straight. I haven't slept that well in over 30 years. I had a few side effects such as slight dizziness and brain fog , but it passed in a few days. What's so great about it is it doesn't make me feel drugged. I just feel calm, clear-headed and relaxed. I can focus on the important things in my life and stop needlessly worrying about things such as "what if I can't sleep tonight?" "What if I go into Walmart and have a panic attack?". What if, what if.. This drug is truly a life saver for me."

CinnaGoo June 27, 2018

"I suffer from anxiety and severe PTSD. I was on Benzos for a long time but like so many was taken off due to long term risks. Gabapentin has taken care of my anxiety and traumatic flashbacks. A lot of my trauma was physical so I'll go through days where my entire body is in pain just out of cell memory. Gabapentin relieves the pain for me and helps me to stay in the present. The only side effect for me is extreme paranoia if I take more than 100mgs a day. I'm tiny and very sensitive to medication so low doses are more effective. I also take Lamictal daily which helps to counter any paranoia. This is just me though but I wanted to share my own experience. I was really apprehensive on trying Gabapentin because of all the scary reviews I read but I'm so happy I went on it. Everyone's brain chemistry is different. It's all about finding the right one for you."

Ray (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2018

"I had great results with gabapentin. I am currently only on one drop a day. I am very sensitive to psychotropic drugs. So I asked for the liquid version. I am going to slowly increase my dose over time. It has lessened my anxiety and helped insomnia. Improved mood also. I’m afraid that some start on a big dose, have a reaction, then disregard the drug. It can be a reaction that your body is getting accustomed to the drug. Not that you cannot tolerate the drug. Obviously this wouldn’t apply to allergic, anaphylactic reactions. This wouldn’t apply for epilepsy bc you need a standard dose. My issue is anxiety. So I don’t absolutely have to have the drug. It helps for anxiety tho."

Lou-Ann (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2018

"I was put on gabapentin as a last resort to my anxiety. I have not been able to function in society. I am a disabled veteran. I am in my second week now, and I am getting worried. I am so tired, but I can't sleep. I am not joking, I haven't slept for days now. I have dipped into extreme depression, and now I have uncontrollable shaking and twitching. I guess this is my entry to this med, and it really hurts. I am in contact about this situation with my med profs. They said it will take time for my body to adjust. For now though, I am very worried, this is not me."

Jordan (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2018

"Fantastic. Felt great and anxiety free the morning after taking it the previous evening. Loads of energy. Did a lot of things that I previously had not done for a good while. Asked friends if they thought I might be high or euphoric and they said no."

Mr brown (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2018

"Been on Gabapentin past couple years for anxiety and social phobia. Recently, increased to 300mg three times per day. I've read everywhere about the withdrawal symptoms of it. It scares me a lot! I have been trying to take it every OTHER day but on the following day after, I really do feel depressed and anxiety is so bad, I can't leave my house. A day later it lifts, and I start all over again. Does anyone else do it this way? I really am hesitant about taking it every day and having to one day perhaps face serious consequences of quitting it."

patindaytona (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 11, 2018

"I have anxiety, pretty much generalized, that kicks my butt every couple years. It is bad and if it hangs around long enough I get very depressed. Insomnia too. I recently retired to a more rural coastal community and had to find a new Psychiatrist. I did but waited too long to see him. I was a wreck by the time I walked into his office for the first time. Anyway, I had been taking Ativan prescribed by my GP but it wasn’t working much and of course it can cause bounce back anxiety. My New Doc prescribed Gabapentin. He started me on baby doses of 100mg a day. I am now taking 100mg in am. 100mg mid day and 300mg at night. I feel so much better. I have not been taking any Ativan at all. No side effects except maybe a little euphoric. For sleep he prescribed Remeron which also did the trick and is not habit forming."

Beachbum (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2018