User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Anxiety

"I first took this for nerve pain which worked awesome but was pleasantly surprised to find it worked for my anxiety also. About the only drug that ever did anything, no SSRI's have ever worked for me."

Piki (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2018

"I started taking Gabapentin five years ago for diabetic neuropathy in my feet. Within a few days it zapped the shooting pains I experienced from the neuropathy. Little did I realize the amazing effect it had in stablizing my moods. It was only when I neglected to refill my script for a week (I'm lazy) that I realized what this med does to stablize my moods. I fell into an absolute funk and couldn't figure out why until I put 2 +2 together. Got the refill and the world was right again! I have an overactive brain, and this med calms things down to a manageable pace. Won't skip that refill again!"

Back in Business (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2018

"Absolutely amazing for dealing with Anxiety altogether, but specifically Social Anxiety. Not to mention Depression. I would have given it 10 stars if it didn't have such a quick tolerance factor. After about 3 consecutive days of taking it, it begins. The symptoms of Anxiety began returning slowly each day until you increase dosage. And that increase is way to frequent. The best way to deal with this down side isn't by increasing dosage every time, as that would take no time to reach unsafe dosages, but to not use it daily. If your going to use it for Anxiety purposes only, then only take it on the days your really struggling. Done this way, then it's a miracle drug for controlling Anxiety. Only side affect I experience is increase appetite"

Robert R. (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 21, 2017

"First day taking 300mg finally feel like myself again. After taking Xanax 4mg a day for 5 months, I stopped taking it but suffer from withdraws even after months of not taking Xanax. I’ve been dealing with anxiety but this gabapentin made me finally feel like myself again, like before I even took Xanax. I was full of energy and no anxiety and it’s only first day!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2017

"I'm currently taking 3,000mg/day and feel much better about my anxiety. My side effects are minimal but they're there, so be forewarned. I'd recommend this medication to my family and friends for anxiety. My anxiety was uncontrolled with Xanax, ativan, lunesta/Zoloft, etc. I had tried almost everything, even being hospitalized 5 times. Gabapentin is finally what I needed all along."

Jacquie_o1985 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 19, 2017

"Tried a bunch of different meds for PTSD and none seemed to work except the few hours Xanax may allow you. When I started GABA I was a bit loopy in the beginning and it was a bit weird. After a couple of weeks it went away and my anxiety went way down, it also seems to be most effective for 8-12 hrs. I take one 300 mg in the morning and one in the latter afternoon. I can see why it might not work for everyone as this is the only one that has worked for me. You have to give it a bit of time and at least for me the only side effect is lower anxiety."

Elbie (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 15, 2017

"I have had varying success with this drug. On one hand it has been a big help. It was able to flick the switch off and bring me out of a very bad GAD and major depressive episode. But I wonder about the tolerance and how long it will be effective. I use it basically as an emergency tool when Im spiralling down the rabbit hole."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 11, 2017

"Hugely effective for first month. Some tolerance does develop eventually but overall still more effective than anything else I've taken."

Ihadtopickanickname (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2017

"This has been the best thing ever for anxiety. I have never been on an anxiety medicine, but my anxiety was getting uncontrollable so my doctor prescribed this. I was a little weary at first, but 3 weeks on this (300 mg/day) has truly changed my life! The little things I used to stress about, I no longer worry about and it also helps with sleep. Wouldn't recommend anything else!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2017

"This was a miracle for me! I was taking alprazolam 3-4 times a day for about 4 years. With the crackdown of controlled substances, my PCP decided to wean me off. I have terrible anxiety. SSRI's do not work for me (too many side effects). After reading the reviews of gabapentin, I asked my PCP if we could try this. AMAZING!!! I no longer wake up shaky and anxious, I don't get that "feeling" I used to get when the alprazolam wore off, and I sleep better than ever! I take 300 MG 3-4 times daily. This truly is a life saver for me!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 22, 2017

"I went through a benzodiazepine withdrawal back in 2013 and found that a low dose 200 mg of Gabapebtin helped me back then. I was on benozos 30 years and no longer use them for 4 years straight now. I went off all drugs on principal four years ago but after four years and major anxiety and depression I decided to use Gabapentin starting two weeks ago. It was not a easy choice as I realized that once on the drug Gabapentin I would most likely use it for many years as it is not so easy to get off of it and would need tapering. This drug has been amazing and I have not felt this good in years. I will continue to use it and may increase the dose from 600 mg a day to 900 mg a day. It has been alive saver. I highly recommend this drug for anxiety"

Henry54 November 16, 2017

"Seriously the best for anxiety. I've been through countless SSRI's, buspar, Ativan, xanax, etc and gabapentin has worked better than all those combined for my anxiety and panic attacks."

mike0 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2017

"After going through some major crisis in my life, my Provider and I tried a few antidepressants to help me cope with severe anxiety. Zoloft, prozac, effexor, etc. We also tried some Benzos, but nothing seemed to work until I stumbled upon Gabapentin (Neurontin). A low dose seemed to work for me....around 300mg / day. It changed my life."

Suslin October 30, 2017

"I have been using Gabapentin (300 mg twice daily) for about a month now, and I am very happy with it. I had been plagued by anxiety for most of my life (I'm 47 now), and my anxiety reached intolerable levels in the last year or so due to a very demanding new job. I finally decided I needed some sort of medication, and after trying Wellbutrin (thumbs down), I asked for Gabapentin. This med is doing exactly what I needed it to do: it is reducing my fears, uncontrollable worries, and hair-trigger adrenaline response to almost zero. Those bad feelings are down to like 2 out of 10, and before it was usually like 8 or 9. Wish I'd started taking it a long time ago!"

KNDSG October 7, 2017

"I was prescribed gabapentin for anxiety about a month ago. The first day I felt better than I have in a long time, but every day since then has been more hellish than the last. It is a clear day 1 was a fluke. Not only is the drug not working for me, it seems to actually be making me worse. (My husband noticed this as well, it's not in my head.)"

MamaAdam October 1, 2017

"When I first tried it I thought it helped my anxiety. Could have been a Placebo effect. After three or four days I wasn't sure it worked for me. When it did work, I felt really strange on it. Not a good feeling. I've tried it several more times and again I wasn't sure if it worked or not as I usually become more relaxed in the evening. I'm glad to see it works for many as it's better to use this then a Benzo that can really mess you up."

FedUP! (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

"I first started to take Gabapentin as an off-label treatment for severe anxiety and OCD. While it did calm my intrusive thoughts a little, it in turn made me experience insomnia. I tried supplements and natural sleep aids to try to help me get to sleep at night but to no avail. Due to lack of sleep and perhaps the Gabapentin I began to feel depressed so I got off of it. It may work for others but for me it wasn't very effective for anxiety or OCD."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2017

"I agree Gabapentin is the only thing that has help with my anxiety, I tried others medications but it don't work. I'm just taking it as needed for my anxiety and help me sleep. You can't just stop it like that. You have to weaned yourself off it. My anxiety got worse when I lost my mother in 2014. I wish everyone the best. You do what works for you. Everybody is different."

Tousant 70 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2017

"I've suffered from bouts of severe anxiety since I was 5 years old. I'm 44 now. The Dr put me on Xanax, but that never seemed to do much for me except finally let me sleep for a few hours if I took more than my prescribed dosage. I also have degenerative disc disease in my lower back & was put on Gaba for nerve pain about a year ago. I couldn't believe the effect it had on the anxiety. It's like it snips some internal wire a)& cuts the anxiety off. It's been a life saver for me, literally. HOWEVER, I say this with a warning. Obviously, not everyone gets this effect from Gaba. And, when I tried stopping cold turkey once, the anxiety came back worse than ever - like super bad. So, it's a long term commitment, be aware."

Anxiety sufferer (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 23, 2017

"I have been taking Ativan for 2 years first 0.5mgs. 3x/day for a year, then .5mgs. 2x/day for a year and now .5mgs. 1/day since January 2017. I have anxiety and panic attacks due to health issues. To help me withdraw from Ativan I was prescribed 100mg. of Gabapentin 2x/day. I was noticing no change in my anxiety. My Dr insisted 100mg. was a very low dose and I needed to experiment with taking more. Due to migraines and the use of Imitrex I can't take anti-depressants, else you might get seratonin syndrome. Ativan is a nightmare drug to get off of ... don't start! Today I took 200mgs. of Gabapentin and haven't taken any Ativan ... I actually felt better ... I have thoroughly enjoyed all the positive posts. My goal is to get off all meds ..."

bluecatchina September 21, 2017

"I've tried other drugs to treat my anxiety and depression with no luck. With gabapentin I'm able to function more normally. Gabapentin works for me where other drugs did not. For me it also improves my ability to multitask. I can concentrate and zone in on the task at hand. A welcome side effect is that smoking while the gabapentin is active makes me sick... I'm trying to use that as a way to quit. Also I occasionally lose balance and get the munchies, similar to cannabis. Please hear me... if you need help and have tried other drugs without help, try gabapentin. I still suffer but it provides me with the ability to function. It may also work for you."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 18, 2017

"I was just prescribed Gabapentin for anxiety coming off of alcohol. I'm taking Antabuse also, so since booze isn't an option and the doc won't prescribe a bento, I had to try his recommendation. I'm prescribed 2 x 300mg a day. Day 1, an hour after I took my first, felt like I was on a low dose of adderall more than a relaxer. Slight tremble in my hands, very talkative. Day 2, I took the morning dose and a cup of coffee. 2 hours later, I started getting shocks (not brain zaps), but shocks like I felt I might have a seizure. Told the doc, said impossible it's related. Took my evening dose. An hour later, super irritable, trouble walking, very dizzy. Stopped the Med."

AnthonyK38 September 9, 2017

"I have pretty severe social anxiety, always have. I have tried a lot of SSRI as well as other drugs over the years. Gabapentin is the only drug that makes me feel at ease. I also take small amounts of Xanax before situations that make me especially nervous. I find that Gabapentin changes my personality somewhat though. I get angry, have paranoid thoughts and tend to believe unrealistic things, and generally care about everything less (which is good and bad). It can be difficult to maintain motivation and concentration to get necessary tasks completed. I have a job in which I have to interact with people a lot and even hold meetings. The positive effects of the gabapentin really make the negative effects tolerable."

Steph24798 September 7, 2017

"I started Gabapentin 7 days ago taking 200mg twice per day. My GAD is worst in the morning and slowly subsides as the day goes on. I also stopped Valium 7 days ago. After many years of using benzos I decided it was enough as I'm sure it was just making my anxiety worse and certainly wasn't helping. Gabapentin has helped me and I feel a lot better than when I was on Valium. I don't know if I'm getting Valium withdrawal effects since it's only been 1 week or side effects from Gabapentin. Feel some nausea, light headed and my breathing is heavy. Overall better and can manage."

GAD Warrior (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2017

"When I read all the glowing reviews for this med, my hopes skyrocketed...I thought, finally, I've found the promised land relative to treating my anxiety. After being on the medication for a week now, I confidently say that I have had zero benefit from gabapentin. Maybe others had less acute anxiety, but for me, this drug did nothing. Wanted to share this with those thinking of switching to this med, as my advise is to keep your expectations low so you don't get disappointed."

Indyguy August 26, 2017