User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Anxiety

"I had a severe traumatic brain injury (TBI) in 2006, since then we have tried multiple medications to control Anger. Depakote, Topamax, Klonapin, Zoloft etc etc. None of them worked . I have been in rages to where I don't want to be around anyone or talk. It's been 10 years now and I happened to go to a doctor in a small town and told her everything about my anger etc . She prescribed Gabapentin along with Cymbalta and I have felt the greatest change. I go outdoors and hike, fish , feel like I am living again. Still I will have my bad days but this medicine I highly recommend to people who suffer with anger/irritability. I completely understand that we are all different and medicines work differently and I truly hope the best for you reading this."

Survivior22 (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Quick relieve from anxiety improved mood and more productivity. Love it."

Affouni (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So far works better than anything else I've tried for social anxiety"

tea555 May 6, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been through many mental health diagnosis and double the amount in meds. I have been officially diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, severe generalized anxiety, situational panic attacks, delayed onset PTSD and a sensory processing disorder. I have tried many many drugs over the years to help with absolutely no luck. Until my therapist recommended gabapentin. Oh my goodness thank that wonderful man. I feel incredible. Absolutely no anxiety. I sleep wonderful at night and have energy during the day. I can tackle most obstacles with out crippling fear and panic. This drug literally saved my life. No real side effects for me which is extra amazing!"

Alliemazzing3 (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2017

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am an alcoholic with severe anxiety and depression. I am prescribed the max dose (1,200 mgs) 3x a day. I find some relief, but not the same relief I am looking for when I take benzos like Klonopin. I really only notice the effects of Gabapentin when I am not taking it, because I am a nervous wreck. During the "experience" I might just be numbed to knowing how I feel, and I think this is the point of the medication."

b-rock April 20, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm pretty sure I've been taking it for over a year and it's amazing how much it has helped me handle my anxiety! I used to have suicidal thoughts and panic attacks daily but now I never have suicidal thoughts and I only have panic attacks once in a blue moon during my period. I'm sure my anti depression meds and my birth control are definitely helping but I know that without Gabapentin my anxiety would be a wreck still. Super glad my psychiatrist placed me on it!"

Summmmssss (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Gabapentin has really helped me with anxiety. I used to always be thinking of what I had to do while I was busy with something else. For example, I would worry about what I had to do after work while I was at work. I would play future scenarios over and over before they even occurred. I would play past experiences over and over. Some call this rumination. Much of this has either dropped down to a manageable level or just disappeared with gabapentin. I have never been one much into pharmaceuticals but this one works for me. I can see that some people love how it works for them, some people despise of it, and others say it doesn't do a thing for them. We are all different and what works for one doesn't work for another, just like diet. I'm much happier going out and doing ordinary things like shopping, going to the bank, and other ordinary routine tasks. I easily get bored with ordinary tasks and just want to get them done. I just wanted to get things over with so that I could take on the next task. Now, I can be more with what I am doing without having to rush through it to get to the next goal. I take my time and stop to talk with people. It's ok if I'm late for the next task so long as it's not an appointment where others are involved. The main thing for me is to enjoy people when I go out to a store, or the bank, or wherever! The gabapentin helps a part of my brain slow down so that I can "see" the people in my day. It really feels good to go to the gym and not feel tied to a specific exercise routine anymore. I like going in with a goal in mind, but allow for what the body is telling me. Instead of just checking in at the desk, I'm more likely to spend time saying hello and having patience. So what if it means that I will get home 5 minutes later and eat dinner 5 minutes later, and then get 5 minutes less sleep. Big deal! I see from writing this that gabapentin helps me to be less obsessive With gabapentin, it is much easier for me to accept doing a job I am tired of. I've been at the same job for a long job and was getting antsy to move on. There isn't anything bad about the job, but doing anything "forever" gets kind of old. Now, I know that soon I will be making a change, but can be"more" patient until the change happens. If I were completely patient, then the change would never happen. There is still fire to make the change happen. I feel less anxiety about change and welcome it more now. There are times in life when change is good. I don't feel as dead in my tracks with fearing change. It's o.k. if I don't figure out "everything" today because there is always tomorrow! Yes, I am very satisfied with how gabapentin works. I give it a 10 out of 10."

Matthew6969 March 31, 2017

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been battling severe anxiety and PTSD since I was a child. I am 43 years old. I have tried a vast majority of medications only to find out I don't react well to the majority. I have recently been hospitalized twice in the last two years due to an allergic reaction to benzodiaphines klonipin and Ativan. Instead of decreasing my anxiety it increased it to the point I was having suicidal idealisations. I also ensured extreme memory loss while on the benzodiazapines. My Dr. prescribed me neurotin and I was transformed a metamorphosis occurred I shed the anxiety and the depression and negative thoughts of doom. I have my life back!! I can live with side effects I love being able to leave my house !!"

Zxvfseuhggkdkjfb (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2017

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had bad anxiety since I was a teen (now 38). I was usually prescribed a benzo, their effective yet very addictive. Anyway, I take 800mg of gabapentin 3x daily with Prozac and they work very well together and I'm finally getting used to not having to take benzos anymore. And my sciatica pain is greatly reduced. God bless."

Friendly person from WB (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 24, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So for it help with my anxiety. But with pain I wonder do it help with that."

Ctousant1956 March 21, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am truly amazed by how well this works for my anxiety. I have PTSD, nightmares and waking up from them would ruin my day I would have flashbacks but ever since I started this new medication I feel normal which is something I am not used to it is definitely exciting to know that I don't feel anxious to the point of feeling like I can't breathe I feel normal and that is amazing.. I don't even feel that I need my Xanax. Which is a huge relief and I am so happy that I finally found a medication that can help with my High anxiety and PTSD without having to take so many benzo's"

Bigal0919 (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2017

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For years I could not pinpoint what was causing such cripling anxiety, insomnia and issues with focus and low grade mood issues. Then after doing some family geneaology, I realized I had inherited traits from a side of the family with the Bipolar Disorder. I quickly started taking Neurontin and within the span of literally 1 (one) day the issues started to resolve almost immediately. I can now drive, go out in public, interact with more people, get a great sleep and I have less racing thoughts than ever before. It has also helped manage and eliminate some nerve pain from a damaged nerve due to lung surgery in 2005. I also take Lamictal for my low grade moods. I have what is known as Cyclothymia, a unique form of the Bipolar disorder."

ScottishZen (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 11, 2017

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"On Neurontin (300 mg 3x a day) for nerve pain. It's fascinating to read polar opposite experiences with this drug - depression/anxiety reduction, seizures/anti-seizure, pain/pain reduction etc. Apparently, too tight this will loosen you, too loose this will unravel you. I guess I was "too tight", this has been marvellous for reducing pain as well as anxiety. My only discomfort is that if I don't take it I go into a tailspin within a day or two, very (very) irritable, hyper-anxious and insomniac. I also find that increasing the dosage is, well, a little TOO pleasant, it makes it tempting to abuse it. Oh, one thing, I can see why this is called "GABApentin", if I take all 900 mg before bedtime I wake up chattering like a monkey. :)"

kib (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 8, 2017

57 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"They are amazing took the anxiety away. A little time to get use to them but they really work."

I take 4 times a day 400 mg February 17, 2017

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I use gabapentin to treat my anxiety, tried every other medication, at least 30 over the years I take a very small amount each day one capsule which I open will last 2 weeks, very few side effects great medication."

james4512 February 9, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Suffered from extreme anxiety and depression for years. Now taking 900mg of gabapentin daily and anxiety has disappeared. Side effects dizziness, unpleasant tasting food but worth it as anxiety is gone."

Anxiety Freedom (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2017

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Love it! Gabapentin seriously altered my life in a good way. Reached out to old friends, no longer get blitz drunk at social events. Answer my phone. Started a business. I am networking with peers even! Just a great little helper in life. I highly recommend this (under physician direction) if you want something that has little side effects. Keep in mind you have to alter dose to keep it effective i.e. - lower the intake a few days per week. Also, watch out on going completely off after using a while - definitely taper and use CBT as you'll kinda notice some negative thoughts. I sleep great My dosing = 300mg w/coffee early, 300 more 1 hr later, followed by 300 2hrs and 300 2 hrs later - another 200 if going out for the evening."

Mr. Social (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 7, 2017

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was taken off of Alprazolam, cold turkey, and given Gabapentin to help with possible withdrawal. This was a NIGHTMARE!!! I had taken Gabapentin for a short period of time before, for Carpel Tunnel, but it gave me what I call "drunk body syndrome", and I would be off balance, bump into things, etc. I didn't really have negative effects while taking Gabapentin this time around UNTIL I stopped taking it. No one told me to very veryyyyy gradually ween myself off. I almost immediately went back & forth between having the most severe hot flashes one could even imagine (I mean, I was sweating bullets like a mad woman), cold chills, terrible body aches, flushed face, severe anxiety. It felt like the flu. Called my Dr and went back on Alprazolam."

CokoPicasso (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Stay away from off label meds.. had anxiety now suffer random muscle twitching tingling and insomnia. The nightmares when you do sleep definitely dont help the anxiety!"

Jamzor (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went on this when starting an alcohol cessation program and have been on it for a couple of years. I take 1600 mg a day. I sleep better and have less anxiety because of it, and it does not have any negative side effects for me. My doctor has wanted to take me off it because she says it's not supposed to be prescribed for anxiety but I find that when I stop taking it or forget to take it, I have problems dealing with anxiety issues and generally find myself more relaxed and able to cope with the stresses of life."

metafouryears January 27, 2017

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am not sure yet if it working, but from a scale of 1 to 10, I would have to say "8". I have back pain, stress, and anxiety. If this is a cure all for all with out having to resort to Vicodin, bring it on."

Napili Beach January 16, 2017

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take 900mg every night night for social and generalized anxiety and 100mg several times per day as needed for breakthrough panic attacks--which isn't very often. I had been prescribed several different SSRIs before for my social anxiety, none of which worked, but Gabapentin was like a miracle for me. It was almost as if someone flipped a switch in my head when I started taking it."

Bob2 January 11, 2017

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It has been a godsend anxiety treatment for me, relieving me of what was once crippling anxiety."

Emma_Nova January 7, 2017

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a very severe pain from my upper back to my neck.The pain was extremely severe.My Doctor prescribed Gabapantin It works like a champ."

Bright star shia (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2016

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on vistaril, which worked for a while, but stopped working because with my OCD, I am terrified of taking med's that come in capsules. My doctor finally put me on Gabapentin, and it works like a charm. The only side effect of note has been dry mouth, which is easily taken care of. I love this med."

pcworkman (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016