User Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Neurontin, Gralise, Gabarone, Fanatrex

Gabapentin Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Gabapentin

John · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2020

“Hey, gabapentin has done wonders for me. I can clearly feel the difference between not taking it and taking it. In school my anxiety is a big problem, I couldn’t even look at my classmates, it felt like my body was locked and I couldn’t speak or look elsewhere than my pc. When using gabapentin these problems is just gone, I’m happy, concentrated and very energetic. It is the best”

shura June 1, 2020

“I am someone who has a whole laundry list of problems (bipolar II with psychotic features, depression, generalized anxiety, ADHD, panic disorder, and dpdr) so that means I have to take a ton of medication and have been in therapy since I was 13. I just started gabapentin at 300 mg 3x a day and my anxiety is almost nonexistent. I used to be absolutely paralyzed by fear at random points during the day for seemingly no reason. To the point that all of my muscles would tense and I would feel like they are on fire. This is the only medication that has helped.”

Keith · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 27, 2020

“Works amazing combined with venlafaxine. It seemed to help overall but taking the two medicines together created amazing clarity and concentration”

Stan · Taken for 10 years or more February 25, 2020

“Helps tremendously with anxiety as well as depression.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 23, 2020

“I am just now learning gabapentin helps people for so many different issues. Me personally I call it "(My little miracle pill")! ”

josiah · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 31, 2020

“I too went through the awful nightmare when I quit gabapentin. In the past I have quit xanax, alcohol, cocaine and a few others and those drugs were a cake walk compared to gabapentin. I have never felt such anxiety and hopelessness.”

Micky · Taken for less than 1 month January 19, 2020

“I am prescribed 300mg a day but can take up to 600mg. I noticed mood stabilization and anxiety riddance by day 4 or 5. The first week I was extremely high on this medication I even left my phone in a Chinese tea shop and had to turn around no joke. I am now enjoying living on campus at ASU and am getting out more by myself. It is helping me more than my benzo script ever did and I’m in a low dosage! I got a fever as a side effect when I first started but now it is gone.”

InfidelMike · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 17, 2020

“No bad side effects. The best drug for anxiety next to Ativan. The only weird, but enjoyable side effect was Closed Eye Visuals or CEVs. I would wake in the middle of the night and with my eyes closed, I would see beautiful brightly colored patterns, which I would enjoy until I drifted off to sleep again. I take 600mg 3x per day.”

Renee · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2020

“On gabapentin 1 month now. 300 mgs 3 x a day, off label for anxiety. So many side effects!! Blurred and double vision, falling, memory gaps, diarrhea, way too hungry, 12 hour sleeps, ears ringing, and now hands and feet tingling and numb. Horrible! Dropped to two doses a day 10 days ago. Felt better but the tingling had started last 4 days. Dropped to one dose as of yesterday and going to stop altogether in a couple of days. Only been a month so not worried about withdrawal, and it’s been gradual enough. Yes, it knocked out anxiety, but the side effects aren’t worth it.”

kris December 13, 2019

“I've struggled with moderate to severe generalized anxiety for all of my life - mostly related to social and performance situations. I've tried many different drugs and have never been sure that they worked. Then I was prescribed Neurontin, and I can 100% feel the difference. My anxiety has decreased significantly on this drug. It sedates me nicely to the point that I'm still completely alert and myself, but I'm so much more easygoing and relaxed. My physical symptoms related to anxiety are still there but I feel less anxious about them, if that makes sense. It just makes the world much more bearable. There are some negative side effects - such as low sex drive, dizziness (which went away after taking for a few weeks), and sometimes I get extra teary. But it's not much of a price to pay if it helps with the main demon of anxiety! Drugs affect everyone differently, but if you think your life is negatively affected by anxiety, it's definitely worth trying.”

Pchops · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 3, 2019

“My doctor put me on Gabapentin due to daily headaches. I felt absolutely wasted for the first 3 weeks. Once that had worn off I can’t say it helped my symptoms at all. I had awful nightmares, night sweats and the most intense anxiety I’ve ever felt. I’m now coming off the drug and it’s tough. I wouldn’t recommend this for a long term fix or at all to be honest. It is different for everyone though.”

SunJester · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 23, 2019

“I was rediagnosed after suicidal behavior had me on a hold. I was placed on 400mg 3x daily. The sleeping medication my doctor wished to have me on was denied by insurance and I began to take an extra dose before bed, making sure my psychiatrist knew I'd improvised. She agreed to change my script since it was working. The difference in my life has been incredible. I feel very little anxiety, my behavior is much less problematic interpersonally, and my productivity is through the roof. I'm also on bupropion 300mg XR. I've had almost no side effects. My cravings for alcohol are gone. I'm actually living for the first time in my adult life. The only thing that worries me is the possibility of withdrawal symptoms but it's worth the risk considering the effect it's had.”

Anxious Nurse · Taken for less than 1 month November 21, 2019

“Took 300mg gabapentin one time for panic attacks and anxiety. My psychiatrist prescribes this to use when anxious symptoms became severe. After several hours I do feel that it helped my anxiety briefly, however I became very drowsy. Once falling asleep I slept very well! Better than most nights. I did wake up around 3am with tremors and hot flashes. My anxiety was full blown and I debated whether to take a Xanax to calm myself down because it was so severe. Made me feel very dizzy, hot, anxious, and made my muscles tense. The rest of the morning I had increased anxiety compared to normal. I will not be taking again. Many reviews state it helped people and wish I could have been so lucky.”

Victor · Taken for less than 1 month November 19, 2019

“I was prescribed neurontin for pudendal neuralgia. I gradually increased from 100 mg three times daily to 300 mg 3x a day. I also take 60 mg duloxetine and 20 mg buspar 2x daily. While my neuralgia didn’t improve, it left me feeling great from reduced anxiety. However, I had to discontinue using it because it significantly impaired my ability to drive safely- I had two near car accidents in two days; and it caused major abdominal bloating in the evening. I am extremely disappointed as I felt better emotionally than I have in years.”

Terrylsquier · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 19, 2019

“I started taking gabapentin, 300 mg 3 times a day, about a month ago. At first it did a lot for my anxiety, although I experienced a lot of side effects: dizziness, bloating, weight gain. I was able to cut way back on my ativan use. However, the last week my anxiety has shot through the roof and I have had to take gabapentin about every two hours instead of four. The side effects have subsided, though. I am going to ask my therapist this Friday whether I should increase my dose or try to get off this drug.”

Katie89 · Taken for less than 1 month October 29, 2019

“I just started Gabapentin 600mg per day. Not sure if the dosage is low but not experiencing the relief I expected. I don't feel dizzy or nauseous like other medications but I still need my Klonopin to ease the panic attacks. I look forward to this new medication. I'll keep you updated in the near future. By the way, the optimal dose for anxiety is 900 to 1,800mg. But if a lower dose helps you then stick with it. Good Luck to everyone. I hope you find relief from anxiety.”

JulieHeart · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 20, 2019

“gabapentin works differently for everyone. I took it for anxiety but only temporarily because of concentration issues. I took 100mg every 6 hours and it helped me for a while. Currently, my anxiety is under control, but my mood is down. A combo of an antidepressant and gabapentin is a perfect match, but it doesn't work for everyone. It will either work or won't. The great thing about this medication is that you don't have to wait several weeks for it to work. It usually works immediately but if your anxiety is high then give it at least a week and at the right dosage for it to work. Some people can handle 300mg and some people need 1,800mg to be effective. Give it a chance before quitting.”

Amelia · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 18, 2019

“I wasted time with talk therapy and antidepressants. Then by chance I took gabapentin for pain when I got shingles. I noticed that my generalized anxiety went away. I also sleep a lot better. I take 200 mg in the morning and 200mg at night. I had to get used to it - it made me feel fuzzy brained at first. Before gabapentin I used to like to have a cocktail to calm my nerves. Now drinking alcohol doesn't even sound good. I feel calm. Why isn't this prescribed more? I had to ask for it.”

Courtney · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 16, 2019

“This definitely helps my social anxiety. Sometimes I don't want to shut up! (lol) However, I don't believe that this will help people with SEVERE anxiety and depression. Anti-depressants would probably work better. I think Gabapentin is more for people who have social anxiety disorder, at least through my experience. It also helps me with my alcohol cravings. My psychiatrist in rehab prescribed me Gaba 2 years ago and I've been on it ever since. I take 600-900mg a day.”

Massy · Taken for less than 1 month October 12, 2019

“gabapentin has been excellent for anxiety”

Biff VanHusen · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 8, 2019

“Started off at 300mg 3 x a day for anxiety, depression and insomnia. Didn’t really do much at that level so the psychiatrist increased it to 400mg 3x a day and then upped it to 400mg 4x a day. I used to be on lorazepam for anxiety but stopped taking that because of the side effects. I can tell you with 100% confidence that I’m feeling better on Gabapentin than anything I’ve ever been prescribed for anxiety and depression. I’ve also been sleeping through the night uninterrupted, which I haven’t been able to do for the past 20 years. This stuff works people, as long as it’s at the right dose for your personal needs.”

micky mc · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 7, 2019

“Gabapentin is fantastic for anxiety”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 22, 2019

“This medication gabapentin has been AMAZING for my panic disorder. Within two days of starting gabapentin 300mg x 3 daily I saw incredible improvement. I have had my middle of the day dosage upped to 900mg only because that is when I experience the most anxiety. Only downfall is withdrawal symptoms. I went a couple of days without due to not being able to get my prescription filled and the withdrawal was awful. Shaking, chills, confusion, etc. If you do choose to get off of the medication, follow your doctor's directions and taper off gradually.”

gm95 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 13, 2019

“Tried gabapentin at several doses for anxiety. Felt nothing from the 100mg/3x day that my doctor started me at, so we upped it 200mg/3x day. I couldn't tell for certain whether it was making anxiety worse or still having no effect until we upped it to 300mg/3x day when I knew that it was making me feel spacey, disconnected and overall more anxious and unable to focus and think straight.”

Matt · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 11, 2019

“I'll give gabapentin a 5 because it works insanely good for my neuropathic pain, but for my anxiety I don't know. I just can't find the right dosage. I've been on everything from 1200mg to 600mg. 600mg worked well for about three months, but suddenly 600mg stopped working and is now giving me anxiety. I tried to up the dose, but it didn't work. Now I'm trying to lower the dosage, but it also gives me anxiety. I'm tired of not getting the right dose. It is a lot of anxiety and it feels pretty hopeless. I'm now gonna try to taper down slowly to about 300mg's because I see a lot of people that use it for anxiety at that dose. I just want minimal pain and to be calm...”