User Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Neurontin, Gralise, Gabarone, Fanatrex

Gabapentin Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 160 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Gabapentin

"I first started Gabapentin to address severe anxiety and depression as well as a drinking problem. At first this drug was a miracle. for about a year-and-a-half I told everybody that this drug saved my life. I wasn't drinking, it had reduced depression, and almost no anxiety. However, over time I started to notice that if I didn't take the medication within four or five hours of my last dose I would have temporary withdrawal. This includes sweats, extreme irritability and anxiety, and an inability to focus. As mentioned in many other posts, it does very noticeably affect your memory. So while immediately helpful, in the long-term I have developed a dependency on this drug and experience withdrawal symptoms on a day-to-day basis which is difficult to manage. I've been on this drug for over 2 years, with all different dosages, and I want to get off it now. It is an amazing temporary fix but leads to dependency and other mental stress."

Idk (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 21, 2019

"I have been originally on only 300mg to help me sleep about 3 years ago. I did help a bit. But since then, I've been on about 3200mg per day past couple years. I usually end up taking most of that if I have to go somewhere, like a public place such as a house event etc..almost anything really. It doesn't last nearly as long as it did in the beginning. Now, about 2 hours or slightly more and it seems done. After that I start feeling depression and anxiety creep in. I take the other remainder at night but even that's not enough now to help me sleep. I get zero sleep. Probably an hour per WEEK past many years actually. Sounds impossible but it's true. I'm wide awake all night. I have always had that though, but the anxiety caused by the temporary withdrawal of the Gabapentin doesn't help I'm sure."

Pat in Daytona (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 17, 2019

"Took them to feel good at first really helped me. Being in recovery it got me threw a lot of hard times thinking about getting high on heroin it pushed me threw to stay off dope another day. But recently I took them one sat night as usual and I started getting these weird jolts and uncontrollable movements ultimately ended up having a seizure in the hospital. Now I can’t take them any more the make me feel weird and uncomfortable to the point where it puts me in a anxiety attack. I do not recommend them for anyone horrible drug used for the wrong reasons. One 300mg a day is it nothing more. .....just my experience"

Jersey A (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 16, 2019

"I would give gabapentin a higher rating when it comes to nerve damage but for anxiety, I don’t notice it doing a single thing. I’ve been taking this along with opioids for chronic pain for awhile and we tried upping it and decreasing benzos for anxiety but it never helped me with anxiety. I’ll stick to the benzos. But try this before a benzo please!"

Kyle (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 14, 2019

"I have just started taking gabapentin for anxiety. It took less than a week for me to start feeling better on this drug. It seems to have completely removed my anxiety. Here is the weird part... I am only using gabapentin at a 100 mg dose and it works for anxiety. I have to state though, I take high dose of Cymbalta (90mg dose) and Adderall (40mg dose) Those two drugs take care of my depression and lack of focus. So maybe that is why I am responding so well to such a small dose of gabapentin. I am supposed to go up another 100 mg in a few days. I may wait stay at this dosage for a while and see if it continues to work for me."

I-ME-MINE (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2019

"My doctor tried gabapentin along with 60 mg Cymbalta for my severe anxiety/panic disorder. On 300 mg per day, I could not keep my eyes open and kept nodding off. It did not help my anxiety it just made me feel sleepy and spaced out like I was on morphine or heroin. I could not work, drive, or function at all on this drug. I nearly wrecked my car and people thought I was on drugs. However, the same combination helped my mom tremendously with her depression and neuropathy. She had no side effects."

Khaleesi (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2019

"I have been on gabapentin for roughly 2 years and it has helped me, I have bipolar disorder and nothing had worked. I was constantly depressed. So my doctor put me on this. I also take Pristiq which is also good. I am also on lamatrigine. This is a great combination. At the beginning I was loopy but after my body got used to it I was living my life like everyone else."

Barb (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 7, 2019

"I’d been on Gabapentin a few times in the past for anxiety. This time they gave it to me for bipolar?!! I’m struggling with this, taking 2400mg (top dose) mg/day. My memory is gone. Long term memory fine, short term gone. I can’t sit and watch TV without extreme anxiety, getting up every 10 min, crossing and uncrossing legs, squirming. I had to get an excuse from jury duty saying I was unfit. .. all I can do is wager this time against the last times and remember how hard it was for me to even cook a meal, how it would take me 3 hours. Now I don’t cook at all. I’m too exhausted all the time. But coming off of it I feel extremely depressed (lay in bed ALL day) unable to sleep, etc. This drug also causes pancreatic cancer. Which my father in law died from. Help me get off this mess!!!! I’m trapped."

Magee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 31, 2019

"Gabapenin let's me LIVE LIFE!! I have HORRIBLE social anxiety, it has made me miss many important moments in my sons life because I get too scared and nervous to leave the house. Xanax and klonopin both helped to a small degree, but it was still hard for me to do simple things like go to a store. Then my doctor prescribed me gabapentin and all I can say is it is AMAZING for social anxiety! I highly, highly recommend to anyone with social anxiety. It changed my life."

K (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 13, 2019

"I was prescribed 100mg 4x per day for anxiety and it worked at first. Then needed higher dosages, then came the side effects of loss of memory, confusion, suicidal ideations and physical dependency. I lost my job because I can't keep up with the pace of work and the increased depression. The withdrawals trying to taper off it are horrible. If there is another option rather than gabapentin I would consider it."

Natasha (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 12, 2019

"At first I thought gabapentin was great, it seemed like it was helping with my anxiety and I had zero urge to drink alcohol for the first time in forever. Only problem is that after a few months I turned into a ZOMBIE! I felt foggy all the time. I had trouble waking up in the morning and always felt like I had this nasty headache. It got hard for me to remember things; I could have conversation with someone and not remember what it was about an hour later. I had to stop taking it because it was affecting my work; I was constantly spacing things and forgetting to, y'know, do my job. The withdrawal was BAD. I experienced increased anxiety and feeling creepy-crawly sensation on my skin for several days. Wish it worked out better for me because the original effects were great."

DBGlass (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 1, 2019

"I have been on gabapentin for almost a month now. I am clinically diagnosed with PTSD, and major depressive disorder. I have had a very traumatic child so of course I suffer with anxiety related to PTSD. I cannot function in my day to day life without medication and I have to accept that. Along with gabapentin 100mg 3 times daily for anxiety, I also take celexa for depression, Prazosin, and Trazodone for nightmares and sleep. My doctor is resistant to benzodiapenes, though I feel I need them, never been an addict. I have tried Busbar and vistaril with no luck. Doc suggestion gabapentin. When I take it within the hour I feel relaxed and my thought process slows down. I had had racing thoughts daily before this. I am not crippled in my day to day life with anxiety that prevents me from functioning. I do feel like I could benefit from higher dose as I feel like my body is adjusting to the medication and not giving me the effect it originally had the first week. But all in all, I have no complaints."

kate April 16, 2019

"Gabapentin has really helped my anxiety and alcohol over use, and not addictive like Xanax. Helps my insomnia as well"

VanKane March 30, 2019

"Weak orgasms and loss of self. I was given 200mg for anxiety, depression, and partial seizures. For two weeks I felt like I was in a dark place and felt dull. I wouldn't recommend."

HeckNo! (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2019

"Gabapentin made me cry uncontrollably - I was on it for my anxiety. It gave me dark thoughts and I felt buzzed, weak, drained, and a worthless feeling. I almost ended up in the psychiatric hospital."

IWantOut (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2019

"I was originally put in this drug to get off of benzodiazepines. I realized it was helpful with my anxiety somewhat as well. My doctor decided it may be in my best interest to continue taking this medication for a while. Unfortunately I started to have severe swelling in the abdomen and insane water retention in my hands, face, and neck. I put on about 15 lbs in a matter of two and a half months, which ultimately led to me coming off of this medication. Within the first 24 to 48 hours my body was in full blown water ridden."

Chichi (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2019

"I usually rate medications low because of side effects and non-ease of use. However, I am very impressed with this medication. It goes in, does what it is needed for and didn’t impair me to where I was non functional which has been the case with a lot of other medications for me. Gabawesome!"

Anonymous January 24, 2019

"My doctor suggested I get off Klonopin and he put me on Gabapentin. It has helped tremendously with anxiety before bedtime. The best way I can describe it is I suddenly feel calm and dreamy and like I can turn my mind off and finally stop over thinking. Much in the way a benzodiazepine would make me feel, but without feeling too dizzy or like I'm losing my memory. Another thing it has helped with is to slow down my drinking. I use to drink before bedtime to help me fall asleep (which has its side effects, but I felt it was better than tossing and turning all night)... The Gabapentin actually turns off that craving somehow and I don't desire any sort of drink before bed. I also somehow quit smoking. The one thing I can tell you Gabapentin does NOT work with are things like panic attacks. Taking a Gabapentin during a panic attack will probably do nothing, in comparison to a benzodiazepine. It will reduce anxiety in a more general sense though."

Mitch December 12, 2018

"This drug changed my life . I have had terrible anxiety my whole life which was followed by depression. SSRI's had little effect. I finished my degree and actually got a job. For anxiety you need a higher dose , I started with 100mg x 3 and worked up to 1800mg a day, the sweet spot. Few things I will warn others , the withdraw is pretty bad . I ran out 3 days before refill and begged the pharamacist to refill it 2 days early. As well , sometimes its difficult to get a good erection. My psychiatrist gave me wellbrutin to counter that effect. Genertic brand warning - auro gabapentin is a terrible , low effectiveness. Apo is what I'm on."

Googlemike101 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 2, 2018

"I have taken many SSRIs, tricyclics, etc. that didn’t help depression or anxiety. Cognitive behavioral helped and klonopin worked moderately, and that’s all that worked. I started Gabapentin at 100 mg 3 x a day. I immediately noticed improvement and it also helped me feel more like not staying up late like I always do. Klonopin is very helpful if you can’t find relief in SSRIs & you don’t have addictions, but for the first time I’m hopeful that this Gabapentin might work. If it works even better at a higher dose I’ll give it 10 stars. The only other thing that helped me a lot was l-methyl-folate. I have the MTHFR gene mutation and the l-metal folate worked, but I had a side affect every time I took it. I found a doctor that might be able to get rid of the side effect. So after 40 years I now have 2 drugs other than klonopin that give me some hope. SSRIs give me bad side effects but no positive results."

revems November 16, 2018

"Completely ended my depression. Also lets me sleep soundly. Taking 600mg x3 a day. Only slight side effects for the first two days - felt tired and a little loopy, but nothing that concerned me. The depression I had was absolutely crippling. No other medicine I tried even touched it. Gabapentin completely took it away. I feel incredible!"

Aisle7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 15, 2018

"I tried this several years ago. 300mg, then 600mg, then 900mg a day in divided doses. I helps with nerve pain, but I had horrible dreams that led to anxiety which I was already having problems with, so it got worse. The dreams became so vivid I started wondering if they were dreams or actually happened and I just thought they were a dream. I'm not Bipolar, don't suffer from clinical depression, but do have GAD from chronic pain. Maybe I can try it again at lower doses, say start at 100mg once a day, then twice, then three times. I'm on clonazepam now 2mg X 2 a day for atypical facial neuralgia and anxiety due to a crushed trigeminal nerve and other pain issues including arthritis. I have tried EVERY medical pain option out there. Clonazepam works, but I am afraid it will lose it's potency over time. I run, lift weights, cycle, watch my diet and am in excellent general health at 60+."

ftnsbb (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 4, 2018

"Taking 500mg three times a day. I was a complete mess before this miracle drug. Now I no longer have anxiety or depression. I have my life back. It's amazing"

Slushy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 2, 2018

"Diagnosed bipolar and put on Lamictal. 1st panic attack sent me to ER at age 27. Had anxiety for 2 years. Doctor added Lexapro which eliminated all anxiety and panic attacks. In 2017 I had another panic attack that sent me to ER. My panic attacks felt like I was going to pass out and die. Doctor switched me to Paxil (40 mg) & Klonopin (1.5 mg) and continued to take Lamictal (300 mg). I continued to have milder panic attacks and anxiety which felt like I was being choked. I tried Buspar but didn't help. My doctor mentioned gabapentin so I came across this forum and gave it a shot. My doctor started me on 100mg 3 X's a day and I am 260 lbs. It totally eliminated all anxiety and panic. I can drive, live life without fear of having a panic attack or dealing with daily anxiety. There are zero side effects for me. I am off the Klonopin and carry it with me just in case. I eliminated ALL caffeine from my diet. Gabapentin has been a miracle drug for me and I hope it helps you too."

bob2756 October 24, 2018

"I was on Benzodiazepines for forty years. I found a psychiatrist to help me get off. I was also in pain from a spine injury. I have a good spine doctor and he worked with the psychiatrist. They thought gabapentin would serve a two fold purpose for nerve pain and anxiety and withdrawal. It worked. I took gabapentin for almost a year and I stopped for six months. I can't say I experienced any bad side effects from stopping but the nerve pain was back and withdrawal from Klonapin increased. I got into a funk and low grade depression and had existential crisis and felt detached from everything. I decided to try gabapentin again and I have to say it turned my situation around. It's been eight months and I'm doing much better with both anxiety and nerve pain. For me the benefits far outweigh any side effects which are minimal for me. I am much calmer, feel normal, not emotionally detached and beleaguered. I can't say that I have experienced any of the horror stories I've read."

Luke October 21, 2018

Learn more about Anxiety

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)