User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Anxiety

"I am not sure yet if it working, but from a scale of 1 to 10, I would have to say "8". I have back pain, stress, and anxiety. If this is a cure all for all with out having to resort to Vicodin, bring it on."

Napili Beach January 16, 2017

"I take 900mg every night night for social and generalized anxiety and 100mg several times per day as needed for breakthrough panic attacks--which isn't very often. I had been prescribed several different SSRIs before for my social anxiety, none of which worked, but Gabapentin was like a miracle for me. It was almost as if someone flipped a switch in my head when I started taking it."

Bob2 January 11, 2017

"It has been a godsend anxiety treatment for me, relieving me of what was once crippling anxiety."

Emma_Nova January 7, 2017

"I had a very severe pain from my upper back to my neck.The pain was extremely severe.My Doctor prescribed Gabapantin It works like a champ."

Bright star shia (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2016

"I was on vistaril, which worked for a while, but stopped working because with my OCD, I am terrified of taking med's that come in capsules. My doctor finally put me on Gabapentin, and it works like a charm. The only side effect of note has been dry mouth, which is easily taken care of. I love this med."

pcworkman (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

"I am taking this medicine for severe anxiety and worry. I've tried many other medicines with little benefit and my doctor said that gabapentin works well in patients where the traditional SSRI's don't work. She was right. Within THREE DAYS I found significant relief from my symptoms. The only downside is INSOMNIA. Not sure this is even a common side effect but I haven't slept in like five days. Hoping I don't have to get off of the medicine because it is really helping me, but man am I tired."

MicheleC1975 December 21, 2016

"It is the only anxiety medication I have found with any legitimate effect for me."

Shane79 December 12, 2016

"AS like so many others have posted, I too have had major depression,bi-polar disorder,and anxiety. I've been on every med imaginable for these diagnoses and they all have stopped working. My current regimen is Cymbalta 90mg bid and Zyprexa 5mg @bedtime. I now have been taking gabapentin 400mg tid. (I'm also a recovering opiate addict.) anyways, the gabapentin seems to give me a pleasant type of calmness. I am saying tons of prayers that this is the missing piece for me. I'll try ANYTHING to get my life back. ANYTHING"

RNBSN97 (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2016

"I was prescribed this for nerve pain in neck and back. It has helped with the pain but the unexpected mood enhancement side affect has been very welcome. I didn't realise how much of my time was taken up with negative thoughts and mild depression. I am much more focused and positive. It's like aspects of my personality that had been wittled away by the rigours of daily life have returned. I am also a performer and have found it very calming. After experimenting with dosages and working out the trade off between pain relif and drowsiness I found a level. My only side affect which I haven't noticed anyone mentioning in the reviews is that I pee more often. But I'm so laid back these days that it doesn't matter lol."

Mutzle December 5, 2016

"I found a huge difference just from day 1. I have noticed a huge difference in my depression. I had gained a lot of weight though I don't know if that's from getting clean or not. It really does help though."

Lesa1983 November 30, 2016

"I've been taking this med for 3 months for severe anxiety. Every night I have a complete mental breakdown for at least the past 2 months while trying to go to sleep. I've slightly lost feeling in parts of my face, my speech is slurred , and I can't think. Before taking this medication I lived a very active lifestyle and now I have no motivation to do anything. I don't even leave my house unless I have to. To top that all off I'm severely depressed . Don't take this medication for anxiety."

Fuck no (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2016

"I was prescribed this for Anxiety never should have had such strong medication for that as it controls seizures and brain injurys. My physical health& nerves were fine before this. Nuerontin destroyed the nerves in my hands& feet& gave me Peripheral& Axonal Neuropathy. Ironically its used to treat these nerve conditions but because my nerves were fine before taking it,It did the opposite and destroyed the nerves in my hands& feet destroying my life. Have been disabled 8 yrs for trusting my Dr and the damage is irreversable. Drs shouldn't use patientz as guinea pigs and pharmaceutical companies should not e allowed to give medication not intended for medical conditions.I have lost 8 yrs of my life due to this medication and am not diabetic."

Anonymous November 24, 2016

"I have been taking Gabapentin for about 8 months and I don't feel any benefit from it. My doctor increased my dosage about 2 months ago and still I find no help in this drug for me. I am not saying that this drug doesn't work for others, but for me it is a waste. My friend takes this drug and it works great for her. I must be medication resistant. What bothers me is that my doctor continues to tell me to stay on it and I want to gradually wean off it. My doctor doesn't hear me. So I will find another doctor who will. As far as a pain reliever, this drug does not even cover my restless leg syndrome. Strange."

lovenature (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 5, 2016

"I am Rxed this 6/day for neuropathy but on the side for anxiety too. In my opinion, if you have panic attacks, just stick to a benzodiazepine as if you're not taking long term, it's not bad. If you find Gabapentin to work, then take that but usually Gabapentin is given as a regimen for generalized anxiety. I've never had luck with Gabapentin but I would prefer someone take that for chronic anxiety than a benzo. However, don't let the med fool you... It can be a nightmare to get off of this med. Sometimes just as hard as benzo's. If you take this daily to prevent panic attacks but don't have panic attacks daily, I advise against this med. It's easy to build a tolerance too and constantly have to raise the dose. Not too effective."

KyleFontenot (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 5, 2016

"Like many of you, I have tried several SNRI's and SSRI's..None work after a certain time period, and nearly all cause weight gain. I am thrilled that I might have actually found a solution to my chronic depression especially given this med is meant more for Bi-polar which is not my diagnosis. I have energy for the first time in years, no weight gain, no increase in appetite! Sleeping great and waking up with energy. I'm almost afraid to write this because I may jinx it but I feel great.. I am only on 200 mg. split up twice a day and I don't need to increase at this point so I'm sticking with this low dose. very happy so far. I hope this review helps other who have struggled with finding a solutions to chronic depression.."

Tried Them All! (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

"I was on low dose Xanax for 12 years. When coming off it, I had terrible withdrawals and my old Dr wouldn't do anything for me so I was drinking 2-3 times a week and craving it the other 4-5 days. Got a new Dr and he gave me Baclofen and Gabapentin and other than blurred vision and a general dizziness, they have taken away the withdrawals and I have no Anxiety or RLS. I no longer drink and have determined that doing so makes the RLS worse. I no longer crave alcohol. I was able to cold turkey stop the Xanax. I presume the Gabapentin is for RLS and anxiety. I take 400mg 3-4 times a day. (220 pound male) Have been on them about 5 months now. I forget the exact cost, I'm guessing about $18 for 3 months worth. (generic)"

Bham,AL October 13, 2016

"Started Gaba on 8-7-16. I take 900 mg daily (split my dosage.) Remember, Gaba is an off label used for Anxiety & you can't blame it if it doesn't work for anxiety (I find negative reviews for gaba unfair on this site.) I take Prozac 40 mg; but I still have light anxiety, panicky feeling, nausea & mental agitation. I have to use 4 or 5 mg Valium prn to smooth out Prozac can't fix at times. I suggested trying Gaba w/ my psyche; he agreed. 300 mg first wk, 2nd wk 600, & 3rd wk 900. Gaba added has been effective for anxiety. I feel less anxious & mental agitation reduced.At first, Gaba will make you drowsy & weak. My memory is slightly off but if I really focus I am fine.You might feel shaky at the start. Some bad days, be vigorous. Be positive"

No fear...be positive (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2016

"I am on meds for depression and they're working. Thank God. Anxiety is an issue, so my psychiatrist prescribed gabapentin, 300mg. The suggested dosage is one, 4x per day. I don't do that but instead take it when I'm feeling anxious and it works like a charm. Plus it helps me fall and stay asleep. Am hungrier but I can control that. Great medication."

Redsoxnation (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2016

"Battled a paralyzing anxiety for years. A friend let me try some of his gabapentin and I never went back! Yes there are some weird side effects but u get used to them. I am a trail runner and motorcycle rider and it never impaired me either way. My take on it is simple - if u need gabapentin for anxiety it is incredible. If gabapentin doesn't help your anxiety - it might not be anxiety you havever, I'm no doctor. Just my opinion."

Nosneve_naes (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 30, 2016

"My anxiety & depression were well controlled on cymbalta. I was put on Gabapentin for neuropathy, at first it helped with pain in one spot, then as my dose was increased I began to experience side effects. 1) Even with taking it at 5 or 6 pm with food I would sleep for 14-17 hours 2)I could not remember things, I could not think straight. My intellect was impaired. I never could build up a tolerance for taking it in the day time. 3) I became depressed & anxious---I feel like I lost weeks of my life I will never get back. 4) I had a creepy crawly sensation in my feet that felt like I was walking on sandpaper. I have been an RN for 42 years. I do not do recreational drugs, smoke or abuse narcotics. I drink alcohal once or twice a ye"

chronic pain/anxiety/depressio (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2016

"I am not a fan of this med. I started taking it for anxiety and it caused vision changes and major sedation for me even at a low dose. I stayed on it for a few years because did help some with anxiety. I just recently decided to come off of it and to my surprise there are withdrawals. My whole body aches, and I feel sick and have no appetite. I took my last dose a week ago and the withdrawals are still very noticeable. I know some people that have said Neurontin helped them a lot but for me it offered slight anxiety relief, sedated me, caused blurred vision and made me mentally slower."

Tsuluzo012 September 23, 2016

"I'm so sad reading all these great reviews . I am the odd one out I first time I took gabapentin it was prescribed 300mg 3x daily prn for anxiety and I took one and it helped alottle but not much so I waited about 30 minutes and took another I was on cloud 9 nothing bothered me and I slept like a baby . But my dr told me to take 2before bed and that was too much on my heart and I've never suffered heart problems on my life 600mg had my heart going so slow it hurt and I had to tell myself to breathe. Very scary and even days later I was still suffering complications. I'm too scared to go back to how I originally took it because anything that messes with my heart is a no for me"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2016

"I am a very happy confidant nurse practitioner. This drug made me over a time period of less than a week suicidal. Extremely depressed, and uncontrollable crying for no reason. The procedure was elective and my suicidal symptoms cleared up within 14 hours of discontinuation."

Maureen Brady (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2016

"I've panic disorder. I've always been a "treat as necessary" type of patient and I do prefer to only take meds as needed. Benzo's have always served me best, but my present pdoc is all about steering patients away from them. So, we started this med 3 mo ago. The only other meds I take regularly are propranolol for high bp, and seroquel on most nights. 1st week: gabapentin made me feel pleasantly high like a cannaboid might. I was talkative, appetite for food and drink increased, had a notable sense of well being. Since then, the effects (positive and negative) have dropped drastically. I may as well be taking dollar store kava kava for all I can tell."

NATL2 August 23, 2016

"I have horrible anxiety from my PTSD, not military related. I have been on nerontin for 2 months for my anxiety. It does not help me at all. Now I am just tired all the time. Which makes my anxiety worse. I have noticed my back pain is better."

PTSDlady (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2016