User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Anxiety

"I've panic disorder. I've always been a "treat as necessary" type of patient and I do prefer to only take meds as needed. Benzo's have always served me best, but my present pdoc is all about steering patients away from them. So, we started this med 3 mo ago. The only other meds I take regularly are propranolol for high bp, and seroquel on most nights. 1st week: gabapentin made me feel pleasantly high like a cannaboid might. I was talkative, appetite for food and drink increased, had a notable sense of well being. Since then, the effects (positive and negative) have dropped drastically. I may as well be taking dollar store kava kava for all I can tell."

NATL2 August 23, 2016

"I have horrible anxiety from my PTSD, not military related. I have been on nerontin for 2 months for my anxiety. It does not help me at all. Now I am just tired all the time. Which makes my anxiety worse. I have noticed my back pain is better."

PTSDlady (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2016

"Have been on this medication for about a month 200 mg 3x/day and have felt no effect at all positive or negative. I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and this was supposed to help with mania, but I wonder if I have adhd instead and am being treated for the wrong thing."

Creamsoda (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2016

"I personally am a heavier person, i have a lot of anxiety and depression on a daily basis and its been this way since i was 14. Im now 18 and i've been using many different prescriptions for my anxiety and depression and i've found benzos work well. But recently I was prescribed gabapentin 300mg 4 times a day and I found that it does affect your coordination taking this much of a dose but amazingly took away all my anxiety without any xanax like I usually take and it worked even better for my depression. I do feel a buzz almost as many users report when they first start, which i don't mind as i work from home and enjoy it but this could be a problem for addiction. Luckily I'm only using it temporarily and not long term."

Anonymous August 7, 2016

"I have to say, it's been working very well for me. I'm more confident and I love being around people way more then before. But, sometimes I feel very dizzy and I'm all over the place. I forget everything and I feel kinda lost. I feel like my brain is on slow motion. The worst thing is I can't make love anymore. Its really hard to stimulate me and sometimes I can't even ejaculated. It brought me peace inside but I don't feel things anymore. Never happy, never too sad. I don't enjoy food. (Sorry for terrible english.)"

FakeBobRoss July 31, 2016

"I've found this drug to be excellent for treating general anxiety and looping thoughts. My anxiety is now buzzing in the background instead of punching me in the face. I use neurontin in combination with Wellbutrin and lamictal. Great combo for a possibly bipolar recovering alcoholic :) The only slight downside is that it pushed my cravings for sugar and carbs through the roof. I gained a little weight before I realized what was happening and then put myself in check. Keep an eye out for that one."

Dannnnnnnnnnn July 18, 2016

"After being on so many medications for a non clear mental disorder...perhaps bipolar or adhd.. or a mix of everthing I was addicted to clonazepam, the worst medication I ever been and I was there for 10 years. Been also in all depresion medication.. But none worked. Been in straterra for adhd and was horrible.. didn't work. Was on Trileptal and it's a so heavy medication. I found in a high dosis perhaps 1200mg of gabapentin some real relief... Relief in anxiety and relief in some chronic pains after some surgery s. Between gabapentin some unisom I found relief.. I don't want to touch never again clonazepam or any benzodiazpein. Be careful with those medications, they destroy you. Sorry for my English... I'm trying to improve it every day"

Argentou July 12, 2016

"Went on a trial of gabapentin (300 mg 2x daily) about a month ago for anxiety to augment bupropion xl (150mg 1x daily) for anxiety and depression. Bupropion was working to clear up some clouds, but some underlying situational anxiety persisted. Adding gabapentin has been great! Only downside is mild blurred vision and a slight head-fuzz feeling the first couple of days, but that has dissipated. I'm considering asking my doctor for an increase in the gabapentin dose, but overall I feel much improved. I am pleased that these two medications are having a positive effect with minimal side-effects and that I don't have to go on an SSRI."

raf5150 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

"Gabapentin has been very beneficial to me in many ways. I suffer from bipolar and anxiety disorders so most of the time I was all over the place. When I take neurontin it stabilizes my mood and all I do is feel good. I really can not say enough about this drug. I will say though that it affects individuals in different ways. I was just lucky enough for it to work for me."

RonV July 5, 2016

"This is a miracle drug as far as I'm concerned. I have struggled with depression, addiction and bipolar disorder most of my life. Until Gabapentin I was not living a full life most of the time. Since Gabapentin I have more confidence, energy and able to deal with stress so much better. I also sleep like a baby most of the time. I can't say enough good things about this drug. It has given me hope and taken away that terrible feeling we all struggle with."

Gardenguy (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 1, 2016

"Awful drug. I was on it for about a year straight and I could never comprehend anything. All though it did take away my anxiety it ruined my Brain. I couldn't retain information I always forgetting and misplacing things. Best thing I did was get off this drug. I swear it made dumb. I can't even remember words sometimes and when I was training at work on this medication I had such a hard time I would forget what was literally just taught to me. Since I been off of it now for about 6 months things have returned back to normal except for my vocabulary and spelling."

Don't do it June 19, 2016

"This pill is AMAZING!!!... I took gabapentin today for the 1st time I honestly am not a pill person I take a pain relief pill once in a blue for a headache so I honestly had no idea it even existed much less what it did how it made you feel etc. but I awoke just as depressed as I fell asleep so I took a look at the bottle & said what they hay, an hour later I felt like a million bucks I was back to my old self talking & smiling being productive no stress & anxiety just cool calm & collected So much so my bff made the comment it's great to have you back where have you been girl...."

Unknownj June 14, 2016

"HI on 100mg of gabapentine ears are starting to feel swollen inside also terrible flatulence which smells like rotton eggs ? been on for 4 days thanks"

sue0505 May 19, 2016

"Ok, its funny i found this page because its perfect for what I want to say. I'm Diabetic and my foot doc gave me Gabapnetin for the pain and burning sensation in my feet. He gave me 300 mg and to take it 3 times daily. But I admit I now take 1500 mg at one shot in the morning. ( He said I can take more than what he gave me but he didn't get a chance to give me a new script. Anyway, it helps with my feet maybe 65% or so but don't care what anyone says no slurring, no falling a sleep or nodding out etc...) Its great and EFFECTIVE..."

Ron11235 May 9, 2016

"This medication is hopefully going to replace the clonazapam that I am currently taking. I have only been taking it a week but I have already felt some changes. My mood is happier, my anxiety is relieved. I feel my energy has improved, (sometimes a little too much) I get pretty chatty and when I have a few things to do, I have a tough time concentrating on just one and I find myself kind of bouncing around if that make sense..I have always been that way it seems like the meds have intensified it. I sometimes have a little trouble gathering my thoughts. The dose in the morning sometimes makes me sleepy so then I just drink like 2 red bulls and a monster and i'm good.;) Totally kidding!!!. I don't drink caffeine. Btw, I am taking 300 mg x3"

Nadafinga (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2016

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My Anxiety and panic attacks were so bad I had a hard time leaving the house, I still take Xanax and clonazapan, but with Gabapentin added it really made a difference. Im able to go out and shop with no problems now, first time in years I was able to drive into the big city."

sambaluk (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Helps very well for my generalized anxiety. I take 800mg 3 times per day. Seems to stabilize my mood. Only side effect is problems with ejaculation."

Jk1022 April 21, 2016

"I went to a neurologist for nerves...like a live wire that started buzzing in my body 24/7. It wasn't painful, but annoying and concerning since it started up one day and it's been over a year. I'm getting testing done to rule out any physiological issues, but in the meantime, my doctor prescribed me Gabapentin 300 mg, 3x/day. Wow! I love this drug. I'm calmer, happier, and also have an increased sex drive. Works great for anxiety too. Didn't do much for my insomnia. Time seems to stand still though which is strange, but I don't mind. I can tell when I need another dose to calm my 'buzzing' feeling as it wears off after about 4 hours. My appetite was not affected and I did not gain weight."

Happy Janice (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016

"I have been taking gabapentin...for awhile now. Me & my husband both. And it works wonders with our depression, anxiety. It also keeps us from craving drugs or alcohol. It helps with my social anxiety as well. We think its a miracle drug. As far as we're concerned."

LeeLa38 April 14, 2016

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Battled with anxiety and depression for almost 30 years now. Was on Xanax but got addicted to it and ended up in hospital recently. Tapered me off the Xanax and gave me Gabapentin 600mgs twice a day. Started seeing a difference in a few days, amazing. Works better on my anxiety than any benzo that I have been on. And I have been on most of them at one point or another. I wake up in a good mood. The only drawback that I have is that the morning dose makes me sleepy til about 11an but that is it. But I am not complaining because I would rather be sleepy than anxious and depressed."

Jeep90 April 11, 2016

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was given this medication to treat anxiety and panic attacks. It has not helped me despite increasing the dosage to 900mg a day. It's always so disappointing when the hope of relief from a new medicine leads nowhere."

Rubymagpie April 7, 2016

"I have suffered from Depression/Anxiety for over 10 years, no medication has worked in the past. I thought I would have to live the rest of my being depressed. I gave up on all medications and at times wished I was dead. I would have to say Gabapentin is my miracle pill. This has truly worked for me I have to say I am happy I took this pill."

NEP (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was prescribed gabapintin for ongoing depression, ptsd, & nerve disruption from disease treatment. Right away I had an amazing soothing of my nerves & happiness in the morning I could not recall ever feeling! It has helped me to recover a quality of life and ability to let go of addictive habits."

daissie (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2016

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was given this med for my TN pain, after I went to my dentist and he found nothing wrong with my teeth. That same day, my dentist called my GP and my GP got me in right away. I was sent for facial x-rays to check for sinus infection, nothing, so my GP made several calls and got me into a neurologist, in the mean time he asked her what he could give me for pain since at this point I had lost 10 lbs and was missing work. They put me on Gabapentin and Amitriptyline. It took a couple of days, but wow, when it started to work it was AMAZING for pain relief. They have upped me to 600mg 3 x a day and now at about three everyday I am a little high. But, the best side effect ever has to be that my anxiety, period cramp pain and insomnia are gone!"

Miss Emme March 24, 2016

"I was prescribed gabapentin for back surgery pain, and nerve pain from diabetes... I'm on the max dose, 1200 mg 3 times a day... All I can say is thank you Load for freeing me up from the opiates! My mood is great, I sleep well and my pain has diminished by 75%! I am 63 years old, forced to retire due to excessive back pain (3 surgeries, one spinal fusion) and very bad nerve pain in my feet and hands... I've had no side effects and all my doctors (I've had triple bypass also... No heart attack, thank God.. No damage to my heart) have said there is no reason to discontinue using it !"

Gilk53 March 23, 2016