User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Anxiety

"I have been using Gabapentin (300 mg twice daily) for about a month now, and I am very happy with it. I had been plagued by anxiety for most of my life (I'm 47 now), and my anxiety reached intolerable levels in the last year or so due to a very demanding new job. I finally decided I needed some sort of medication, and after trying Wellbutrin (thumbs down), I asked for Gabapentin. This med is doing exactly what I needed it to do: it is reducing my fears, uncontrollable worries, and hair-trigger adrenaline response to almost zero. Those bad feelings are down to like 2 out of 10, and before it was usually like 8 or 9. Wish I'd started taking it a long time ago!"

KNDSG October 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed gabapentin for anxiety about a month ago. The first day I felt better than I have in a long time, but every day since then has been more hellish than the last. It is a clear day 1 was a fluke. Not only is the drug not working for me, it seems to actually be making me worse. (My husband noticed this as well, it's not in my head.)"

MamaAdam October 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I first tried it I thought it helped my anxiety. Could have been a Placebo effect. After three or four days I wasn't sure it worked for me. When it did work, I felt really strange on it. Not a good feeling. I've tried it several more times and again I wasn't sure if it worked or not as I usually become more relaxed in the evening. I'm glad to see it works for many as it's better to use this then a Benzo that can really mess you up."

FedUP! (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I first started to take Gabapentin as an off-label treatment for severe anxiety and OCD. While it did calm my intrusive thoughts a little, it in turn made me experience insomnia. I tried supplements and natural sleep aids to try to help me get to sleep at night but to no avail. Due to lack of sleep and perhaps the Gabapentin I began to feel depressed so I got off of it. It may work for others but for me it wasn't very effective for anxiety or OCD."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I agree Gabapentin is the only thing that has help with my anxiety, I tried others medications but it don't work. I'm just taking it as needed for my anxiety and help me sleep. You can't just stop it like that. You have to weaned yourself off it. My anxiety got worse when I lost my mother in 2014. I wish everyone the best. You do what works for you. Everybody is different."

Tousant 70 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've suffered from bouts of severe anxiety since I was 5 years old. I'm 44 now. The Dr put me on Xanax, but that never seemed to do much for me except finally let me sleep for a few hours if I took more than my prescribed dosage. I also have degenerative disc disease in my lower back & was put on Gaba for nerve pain about a year ago. I couldn't believe the effect it had on the anxiety. It's like it snips some internal wire a)& cuts the anxiety off. It's been a life saver for me, literally. HOWEVER, I say this with a warning. Obviously, not everyone gets this effect from Gaba. And, when I tried stopping cold turkey once, the anxiety came back worse than ever - like super bad. So, it's a long term commitment, be aware."

Anxiety sufferer (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Ativan for 2 years first 0.5mgs. 3x/day for a year, then .5mgs. 2x/day for a year and now .5mgs. 1/day since January 2017. I have anxiety and panic attacks due to health issues. To help me withdraw from Ativan I was prescribed 100mg. of Gabapentin 2x/day. I was noticing no change in my anxiety. My Dr insisted 100mg. was a very low dose and I needed to experiment with taking more. Due to migraines and the use of Imitrex I can't take anti-depressants, else you might get seratonin syndrome. Ativan is a nightmare drug to get off of ... don't start! Today I took 200mgs. of Gabapentin and haven't taken any Ativan ... I actually felt better ... I have thoroughly enjoyed all the positive posts. My goal is to get off all meds ..."

bluecatchina September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've tried other drugs to treat my anxiety and depression with no luck. With gabapentin I'm able to function more normally. Gabapentin works for me where other drugs did not. For me it also improves my ability to multitask. I can concentrate and zone in on the task at hand. A welcome side effect is that smoking while the gabapentin is active makes me sick... I'm trying to use that as a way to quit. Also I occasionally lose balance and get the munchies, similar to cannabis. Please hear me... if you need help and have tried other drugs without help, try gabapentin. I still suffer but it provides me with the ability to function. It may also work for you."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was just prescribed Gabapentin for anxiety coming off of alcohol. I'm taking Antabuse also, so since booze isn't an option and the doc won't prescribe a bento, I had to try his recommendation. I'm prescribed 2 x 300mg a day. Day 1, an hour after I took my first, felt like I was on a low dose of adderall more than a relaxer. Slight tremble in my hands, very talkative. Day 2, I took the morning dose and a cup of coffee. 2 hours later, I started getting shocks (not brain zaps), but shocks like I felt I might have a seizure. Told the doc, said impossible it's related. Took my evening dose. An hour later, super irritable, trouble walking, very dizzy. Stopped the Med."

AnthonyK38 September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have pretty severe social anxiety, always have. I have tried a lot of SSRI as well as other drugs over the years. Gabapentin is the only drug that makes me feel at ease. I also take small amounts of Xanax before situations that make me especially nervous. I find that Gabapentin changes my personality somewhat though. I get angry, have paranoid thoughts and tend to believe unrealistic things, and generally care about everything less (which is good and bad). It can be difficult to maintain motivation and concentration to get necessary tasks completed. I have a job in which I have to interact with people a lot and even hold meetings. The positive effects of the gabapentin really make the negative effects tolerable."

Steph24798 September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Gabapentin 7 days ago taking 200mg twice per day. My GAD is worst in the morning and slowly subsides as the day goes on. I also stopped Valium 7 days ago. After many years of using benzos I decided it was enough as I'm sure it was just making my anxiety worse and certainly wasn't helping. Gabapentin has helped me and I feel a lot better than when I was on Valium. I don't know if I'm getting Valium withdrawal effects since it's only been 1 week or side effects from Gabapentin. Feel some nausea, light headed and my breathing is heavy. Overall better and can manage."

GAD Warrior (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I read all the glowing reviews for this med, my hopes skyrocketed...I thought, finally, I've found the promised land relative to treating my anxiety. After being on the medication for a week now, I confidently say that I have had zero benefit from gabapentin. Maybe others had less acute anxiety, but for me, this drug did nothing. Wanted to share this with those thinking of switching to this med, as my advise is to keep your expectations low so you don't get disappointed."

Indyguy August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been using gabapentin for anxiety along with lamictal for bipolar type 2. Before the gabapentin I was on vistaril. I didn't like the way vistaril made me feel during my attacks and gabapentin has made it so much easier to manage throughout the day and even the attacks aren't as bad. I also have PTSD and it's made it a lot easier to function. I take one 100mg capsule three times a day."

Christie B. (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had GAD ever since I can remember and I am 31 now. NOTHING and I mean NOTHING helped. My anxiety was so extreme, every minute of every day I was consumed with it. I had severe panic attacks and would sometimes faint. Gabapentin has been life changing for me. I have been on it for 3 months and my GAD is almost gone. I still have panic attacks at night, but this medication has been a miracle for me and I am and would definitely recommend trying it, specially if you are not responsive to 'normal' anxiety medications."

J0702 August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After going through hell using anti depressants I finally went to a specialist for anxiety. She did a DNA test to see what drugs would best work for me. I take one Clonazepam along with a Gabapentin in the am and then a second Gabapentin in the afternoon. It truly has been a life saver for me when nothing else worked for PSTD/anxiety. No side effects whatsoever. Be very careful with alcohol. Instead of three beers make it one."

1507 August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very good for anxiety. reflects many modes of anxiety BUT... this drug may give you panic attack and restless leg syndrome (Which is weird as this drug is used to treat restless leg syndrome)"

RETT SVART (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took 1200 mg of gabapentin for a year for anxiety after stopping citalopram and diazepam. It had no effect at all. I felt the same before I started it, when I was on it, and after I had stopped it. It didn't even have side effects. It did nothing. I have been on numerous SSRI'S, Seroquel, lithium, Lamictal and benzos for bipolar 2 with episodes of depressive/anxiety. Thankfully, the government disability insurance paid for gabapentin and not me."

WACB August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 300 mg 3x a day and I feel the best I've felt in 10 years. Nothing has worked to calm my anxiety like Gabapentin including Klonopin or Xanax. I'm happy, relaxed, motivated and most importantly my appetite for alcohol which I used excessively to calm my anxiety has completely disappeared. I hope I can take this medication for forever. Life is finally good again."

Amazing Results for Anxiety (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had pretty bad anxiety. My Doctor said to take 300mg of Gabapentin three times a day. The first time I took it was at night, before bed. It made me a little drunk feeling or maybe dopey. But, not a bad feeling. Not dizzy, not falling down - no other side effects. Made me a little sleepy to help with my insomnia. Next day - took 300mg at 9:00 a.m. - no problems, no side effects, nothing. Just anxiety relief. Once in a while I can feel the anxiety after about 6 hours when I need to take another pill. Started taking 600mg at bed time to help with sleep. The first time I raised the dose, it made me a little more tired and a little tipsy feeling. But only once. For anxiety, this stuff worked great for me with no side effects!!!"

SpazzyLee (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started talking 600 mg three times a day for anxiety. It has done wonders. I used to have really bad anxiety when driving. I no longer have it. I also have really bad social anxiety. Now.... I sometimes can't stop talking to everyone. lol The only downside is I feel a little weak and sleepy sometimes. Which makes it hard having a toddler."

LeiLove August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been suffering from the anxiety for the past four years. I have been on Ativan, Xanax, and many SSRI drugs. Nothing helped. As a matter fact, the SSRI drugs made my anxiety worse. Finally a psychiatrist prescribed gabapentin. It has been a miracle for me. I don't have any side effects whatsoever. All of the physical symptoms of anxiety (heart palpitations, shortness of breath, sweating, tiredness) have disappeared. I I also feel more "even." I have more patience and I'm not in such a rush to do things. I take three 300 mg pills a day. I am so thankful for finding this drug. I know how hard it is to try different medications and have them not work. I hope anybody who is suffering from anxiety finally finds a medication that helps."

Chealseav (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After a 4 day hospitalization for anxiety and to reduce prescription drug usage I was disturbed by the zombifying drugs I was prescribed (Trazodone, Abilify, Lithium). I'd been having a very hard time leaving my house and answering the phone. I was eventually prescribed Gabapentin while I continued to titrate off of Xanax. While I've started craving sweets and drinking sodas ( I ate an entire cake in 24 hours) I am feeling much better. It does not, however, help me sleep. I try to take my last dose before 6pm. I experimented last night and took it right before bed and I woke up every couple of hours. I have unusual reactions to meds and adjust my expectations and understanding of side effects. This is a helpful drug for anxiety."

the struggle is real August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had Anxiety since I was a little child 6 yrs old to be exact. So over the years ( I'm 56 now) I've also developed PTSD, OCD Depression And recently agoraphobia..under a former Drs Orders because I'm such a severe case I was prescribed 4mg of xanax and 4mg of Klonopin along with 10/325 hydrocodone 5 times a day for severe neck and back pain from bulging discs causing spinal stenosis all throughout from my neck all the way down to my lumbar spine. Already had spinal fusion at L5S1. I ended up overdosing when he added Percocet. I found a new Dr.and he weaned me safely off of everything and now I'm taking 2400 mg of Gabapentin it has been a miracle. Best med by far for my Anxiety. Sill need neck surgery but my Anxiety has left the bldg."

Lucky131361 August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication made me really down . It was completely ineffective for my neuropathy. I would highly recommend that no one take this medication."

Lezk99 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication was working for my anxiety but never really made it go away. My psychiatrist kept insisting raising dosage since was only taking 200mg at night & 200mg in morning. So I started taking 300mg at night for a week and woke up completely disoriented with the whole room moving, vomiting, falling down. I couldn't even sit anymore or lift head without falling backwards and would throw up in the car (someone had to drive me to doc) All these symptoms are so horrible with anxiety. I lowered dose back to 200mg that day 2 times a day. It's been 5 days and still have symptoms. Be careful with this med. I never had symptoms before the increase."

Nuc1 July 28, 2017