User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Anxiety

"My anxiety & depression were well controlled on cymbalta. I was put on Gabapentin for neuropathy, at first it helped with pain in one spot, then as my dose was increased I began to experience side effects. 1) Even with taking it at 5 or 6 pm with food I would sleep for 14-17 hours 2)I could not remember things, I could not think straight. My intellect was impaired. I never could build up a tolerance for taking it in the day time. 3) I became depressed & anxious---I feel like I lost weeks of my life I will never get back. 4) I had a creepy crawly sensation in my feet that felt like I was walking on sandpaper. I have been an RN for 42 years. I do not do recreational drugs, smoke or abuse narcotics. I drink alcohal once or twice a ye"

chronic pain/anxiety/depressio (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2016

"I am not a fan of this med. I started taking it for anxiety and it caused vision changes and major sedation for me even at a low dose. I stayed on it for a few years because did help some with anxiety. I just recently decided to come off of it and to my surprise there are withdrawals. My whole body aches, and I feel sick and have no appetite. I took my last dose a week ago and the withdrawals are still very noticeable. I know some people that have said Neurontin helped them a lot but for me it offered slight anxiety relief, sedated me, caused blurred vision and made me mentally slower."

Tsuluzo012 September 23, 2016

"I'm so sad reading all these great reviews . I am the odd one out I first time I took gabapentin it was prescribed 300mg 3x daily prn for anxiety and I took one and it helped alottle but not much so I waited about 30 minutes and took another I was on cloud 9 nothing bothered me and I slept like a baby . But my dr told me to take 2before bed and that was too much on my heart and I've never suffered heart problems on my life 600mg had my heart going so slow it hurt and I had to tell myself to breathe. Very scary and even days later I was still suffering complications. I'm too scared to go back to how I originally took it because anything that messes with my heart is a no for me"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2016

"I am a very happy confidant nurse practitioner. This drug made me over a time period of less than a week suicidal. Extremely depressed, and uncontrollable crying for no reason. The procedure was elective and my suicidal symptoms cleared up within 14 hours of discontinuation."

Maureen Brady (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2016

"I've panic disorder. I've always been a "treat as necessary" type of patient and I do prefer to only take meds as needed. Benzo's have always served me best, but my present pdoc is all about steering patients away from them. So, we started this med 3 mo ago. The only other meds I take regularly are propranolol for high bp, and seroquel on most nights. 1st week: gabapentin made me feel pleasantly high like a cannaboid might. I was talkative, appetite for food and drink increased, had a notable sense of well being. Since then, the effects (positive and negative) have dropped drastically. I may as well be taking dollar store kava kava for all I can tell."

NATL2 August 23, 2016

"I have horrible anxiety from my PTSD, not military related. I have been on nerontin for 2 months for my anxiety. It does not help me at all. Now I am just tired all the time. Which makes my anxiety worse. I have noticed my back pain is better."

PTSDlady (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2016

"Have been on this medication for about a month 200 mg 3x/day and have felt no effect at all positive or negative. I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and this was supposed to help with mania, but I wonder if I have adhd instead and am being treated for the wrong thing."

Creamsoda (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2016

"I personally am a heavier person, i have a lot of anxiety and depression on a daily basis and its been this way since i was 14. Im now 18 and i've been using many different prescriptions for my anxiety and depression and i've found benzos work well. But recently I was prescribed gabapentin 300mg 4 times a day and I found that it does affect your coordination taking this much of a dose but amazingly took away all my anxiety without any xanax like I usually take and it worked even better for my depression. I do feel a buzz almost as many users report when they first start, which i don't mind as i work from home and enjoy it but this could be a problem for addiction. Luckily I'm only using it temporarily and not long term."

Anonymous August 7, 2016

"I have to say, it's been working very well for me. I'm more confident and I love being around people way more then before. But, sometimes I feel very dizzy and I'm all over the place. I forget everything and I feel kinda lost. I feel like my brain is on slow motion. The worst thing is I can't make love anymore. Its really hard to stimulate me and sometimes I can't even ejaculated. It brought me peace inside but I don't feel things anymore. Never happy, never too sad. I don't enjoy food. (Sorry for terrible english.)"

FakeBobRoss July 31, 2016

"I've found this drug to be excellent for treating general anxiety and looping thoughts. My anxiety is now buzzing in the background instead of punching me in the face. I use neurontin in combination with Wellbutrin and lamictal. Great combo for a possibly bipolar recovering alcoholic :) The only slight downside is that it pushed my cravings for sugar and carbs through the roof. I gained a little weight before I realized what was happening and then put myself in check. Keep an eye out for that one."

Dannnnnnnnnnn July 18, 2016

"After being on so many medications for a non clear mental disorder...perhaps bipolar or adhd.. or a mix of everthing I was addicted to clonazepam, the worst medication I ever been and I was there for 10 years. Been also in all depresion medication.. But none worked. Been in straterra for adhd and was horrible.. didn't work. Was on Trileptal and it's a so heavy medication. I found in a high dosis perhaps 1200mg of gabapentin some real relief... Relief in anxiety and relief in some chronic pains after some surgery s. Between gabapentin some unisom I found relief.. I don't want to touch never again clonazepam or any benzodiazpein. Be careful with those medications, they destroy you. Sorry for my English... I'm trying to improve it every day"

Argentou July 12, 2016

"Went on a trial of gabapentin (300 mg 2x daily) about a month ago for anxiety to augment bupropion xl (150mg 1x daily) for anxiety and depression. Bupropion was working to clear up some clouds, but some underlying situational anxiety persisted. Adding gabapentin has been great! Only downside is mild blurred vision and a slight head-fuzz feeling the first couple of days, but that has dissipated. I'm considering asking my doctor for an increase in the gabapentin dose, but overall I feel much improved. I am pleased that these two medications are having a positive effect with minimal side-effects and that I don't have to go on an SSRI."

raf5150 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

"Gabapentin has been very beneficial to me in many ways. I suffer from bipolar and anxiety disorders so most of the time I was all over the place. When I take neurontin it stabilizes my mood and all I do is feel good. I really can not say enough about this drug. I will say though that it affects individuals in different ways. I was just lucky enough for it to work for me."

RonV July 5, 2016

"This is a miracle drug as far as I'm concerned. I have struggled with depression, addiction and bipolar disorder most of my life. Until Gabapentin I was not living a full life most of the time. Since Gabapentin I have more confidence, energy and able to deal with stress so much better. I also sleep like a baby most of the time. I can't say enough good things about this drug. It has given me hope and taken away that terrible feeling we all struggle with."

Gardenguy (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 1, 2016

"Awful drug. I was on it for about a year straight and I could never comprehend anything. All though it did take away my anxiety it ruined my Brain. I couldn't retain information I always forgetting and misplacing things. Best thing I did was get off this drug. I swear it made dumb. I can't even remember words sometimes and when I was training at work on this medication I had such a hard time I would forget what was literally just taught to me. Since I been off of it now for about 6 months things have returned back to normal except for my vocabulary and spelling."

Don't do it June 19, 2016

"This pill is AMAZING!!!... I took gabapentin today for the 1st time I honestly am not a pill person I take a pain relief pill once in a blue for a headache so I honestly had no idea it even existed much less what it did how it made you feel etc. but I awoke just as depressed as I fell asleep so I took a look at the bottle & said what they hay, an hour later I felt like a million bucks I was back to my old self talking & smiling being productive no stress & anxiety just cool calm & collected So much so my bff made the comment it's great to have you back where have you been girl...."

Unknownj June 14, 2016

"HI on 100mg of gabapentine ears are starting to feel swollen inside also terrible flatulence which smells like rotton eggs ? been on for 4 days thanks"

sue0505 May 19, 2016

"Ok, its funny i found this page because its perfect for what I want to say. I'm Diabetic and my foot doc gave me Gabapnetin for the pain and burning sensation in my feet. He gave me 300 mg and to take it 3 times daily. But I admit I now take 1500 mg at one shot in the morning. ( He said I can take more than what he gave me but he didn't get a chance to give me a new script. Anyway, it helps with my feet maybe 65% or so but don't care what anyone says no slurring, no falling a sleep or nodding out etc...) Its great and EFFECTIVE..."

Ron11235 May 9, 2016

"This medication is hopefully going to replace the clonazapam that I am currently taking. I have only been taking it a week but I have already felt some changes. My mood is happier, my anxiety is relieved. I feel my energy has improved, (sometimes a little too much) I get pretty chatty and when I have a few things to do, I have a tough time concentrating on just one and I find myself kind of bouncing around if that make sense..I have always been that way it seems like the meds have intensified it. I sometimes have a little trouble gathering my thoughts. The dose in the morning sometimes makes me sleepy so then I just drink like 2 red bulls and a monster and i'm good.;) Totally kidding!!!. I don't drink caffeine. Btw, I am taking 300 mg x3"

Nadafinga (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2016

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My Anxiety and panic attacks were so bad I had a hard time leaving the house, I still take Xanax and clonazapan, but with Gabapentin added it really made a difference. Im able to go out and shop with no problems now, first time in years I was able to drive into the big city."

sambaluk (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Helps very well for my generalized anxiety. I take 800mg 3 times per day. Seems to stabilize my mood. Only side effect is problems with ejaculation."

Jk1022 April 21, 2016

"I went to a neurologist for nerves...like a live wire that started buzzing in my body 24/7. It wasn't painful, but annoying and concerning since it started up one day and it's been over a year. I'm getting testing done to rule out any physiological issues, but in the meantime, my doctor prescribed me Gabapentin 300 mg, 3x/day. Wow! I love this drug. I'm calmer, happier, and also have an increased sex drive. Works great for anxiety too. Didn't do much for my insomnia. Time seems to stand still though which is strange, but I don't mind. I can tell when I need another dose to calm my 'buzzing' feeling as it wears off after about 4 hours. My appetite was not affected and I did not gain weight."

Happy Janice (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016

"I have been taking gabapentin...for awhile now. Me & my husband both. And it works wonders with our depression, anxiety. It also keeps us from craving drugs or alcohol. It helps with my social anxiety as well. We think its a miracle drug. As far as we're concerned."

LeeLa38 April 14, 2016

"Battled with anxiety and depression for almost 30 years now. Was on Xanax but got addicted to it and ended up in hospital recently. Tapered me off the Xanax and gave me Gabapentin 600mgs twice a day. Started seeing a difference in a few days, amazing. Works better on my anxiety than any benzo that I have been on. And I have been on most of them at one point or another. I wake up in a good mood. The only drawback that I have is that the morning dose makes me sleepy til about 11an but that is it. But I am not complaining because I would rather be sleepy than anxious and depressed."

Jeep90 April 11, 2016

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was given this medication to treat anxiety and panic attacks. It has not helped me despite increasing the dosage to 900mg a day. It's always so disappointing when the hope of relief from a new medicine leads nowhere."

Rubymagpie April 7, 2016