User Reviews for Gabapentin systemic

Also known as: Gralise, Horizant, Neurontin, Gabarone

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 167 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Anxiety

"This drug changed my life . I have had terrible anxiety my whole life which was followed by depression. SSRI's had little effect. I finished my degree and actually got a job. For anxiety you need a higher dose , I started with 100mg x 3 and worked up to 1800mg a day, the sweet spot. Few things I will warn others , the withdraw is pretty bad . I ran out 3 days before refill and begged the pharamacist to refill it 2 days early. As well , sometimes its difficult to get a good erection. My psychiatrist gave me wellbrutin to counter that effect. Genertic brand warning - auro gabapentin is a terrible , low effectiveness. Apo is what I'm on."

Googlemike101 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 2, 2018

"I have taken many SSRIs, tricyclics, etc. that didn’t help depression or anxiety. Cognitive behavioral helped and klonopin worked moderately, and that’s all that worked. I started Gabapentin at 100 mg 3 x a day. I immediately noticed improvement and it also helped me feel more like not staying up late like I always do. Klonopin is very helpful if you can’t find relief in SSRIs & you don’t have addictions, but for the first time I’m hopeful that this Gabapentin might work. If it works even better at a higher dose I’ll give it 10 stars. The only other thing that helped me a lot was l-methyl-folate. I have the MTHFR gene mutation and the l-metal folate worked, but I had a side affect every time I took it. I found a doctor that might be able to get rid of the side effect. So after 40 years I now have 2 drugs other than klonopin that give me some hope. SSRIs give me bad side effects but no positive results."

revems November 16, 2018

"Completely ended my depression. Also lets me sleep soundly. Taking 600mg x3 a day. Only slight side effects for the first two days - felt tired and a little loopy, but nothing that concerned me. The depression I had was absolutely crippling. No other medicine I tried even touched it. Gabapentin completely took it away. I feel incredible!"

Aisle7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 15, 2018

"I tried this several years ago. 300mg, then 600mg, then 900mg a day in divided doses. I helps with nerve pain, but I had horrible dreams that led to anxiety which I was already having problems with, so it got worse. The dreams became so vivid I started wondering if they were dreams or actually happened and I just thought they were a dream. I'm not Bipolar, don't suffer from clinical depression, but do have GAD from chronic pain. Maybe I can try it again at lower doses, say start at 100mg once a day, then twice, then three times. I'm on clonazepam now 2mg X 2 a day for atypical facial neuralgia and anxiety due to a crushed trigeminal nerve and other pain issues including arthritis. I have tried EVERY medical pain option out there. Clonazepam works, but I am afraid it will lose it's potency over time. I run, lift weights, cycle, watch my diet and am in excellent general health at 60+."

ftnsbb (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 4, 2018

"Taking 500mg three times a day. I was a complete mess before this miracle drug. Now I no longer have anxiety or depression. I have my life back. It's amazing"

Slushy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 2, 2018

"Diagnosed bipolar and put on Lamictal. 1st panic attack sent me to ER at age 27. Had anxiety for 2 years. Doctor added Lexapro which eliminated all anxiety and panic attacks. In 2017 I had another panic attack that sent me to ER. My panic attacks felt like I was going to pass out and die. Doctor switched me to Paxil (40 mg) & Klonopin (1.5 mg) and continued to take Lamictal (300 mg). I continued to have milder panic attacks and anxiety which felt like I was being choked. I tried Buspar but didn't help. My doctor mentioned gabapentin so I came across this forum and gave it a shot. My doctor started me on 100mg 3 X's a day and I am 260 lbs. It totally eliminated all anxiety and panic. I can drive, live life without fear of having a panic attack or dealing with daily anxiety. There are zero side effects for me. I am off the Klonopin and carry it with me just in case. I eliminated ALL caffeine from my diet. Gabapentin has been a miracle drug for me and I hope it helps you too."

bob2756 October 24, 2018

"I was on Benzodiazepines for forty years. I found a psychiatrist to help me get off. I was also in pain from a spine injury. I have a good spine doctor and he worked with the psychiatrist. They thought gabapentin would serve a two fold purpose for nerve pain and anxiety and withdrawal. It worked. I took gabapentin for almost a year and I stopped for six months. I can't say I experienced any bad side effects from stopping but the nerve pain was back and withdrawal from Klonapin increased. I got into a funk and low grade depression and had existential crisis and felt detached from everything. I decided to try gabapentin again and I have to say it turned my situation around. It's been eight months and I'm doing much better with both anxiety and nerve pain. For me the benefits far outweigh any side effects which are minimal for me. I am much calmer, feel normal, not emotionally detached and beleaguered. I can't say that I have experienced any of the horror stories I've read."

Luke October 21, 2018

"After dealing with anxiety and depression for many years I started taking Gabapentin it is the best medication I have tried yet for anxiety tension and overall pain. I have been able to do so much while taking it."

Pgp (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2018

"It seems to be helping somewhat at 900 mg a day. I wish more folks here would specify the dosage. A lot of posts seem to be enthusiastic about this drug but I'd like to know how much to take - beyond the 900 mg's to feel a more profound, lasting effect"

stanislavski66 (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2018

"I started taking gabapentin for anxiety and it changed my life. It gave me a level of control in my life I never experienced before."

Canadan (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2018

"Hello Everone, Took forever to find a "current" forum on this drug - this one is great. My Dr. prescribed me Gabapentin for about the past 3 months and I've been skipping several days a week because I'm worried to death from what I've read everywhere, that it wears off in time. My days that I don't take it are very bad. Once I start daily, that's it, no turning back again. I don't want to face withdrawal when the time comes if won't continue working in 5 months, or 3 years etc. Just scared and so worried, that's why I am "saving" days for it to work well. If anyone here has searched like me, the internet is 95% nothing but very bad news on this medication. I don't know what to do..confused."

Patindaytona (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 7, 2018

"Amazing drug for anxiety, especially social anxiety. Whenever I take gabapentin I'm able to go out and socialize without problems. I've been taking this for 6 years. I never had any luck with any other drug, and I've tried so many. The only side affect I get with gabapentin is if you don't take it consistently you will get really depressed and angry. At least I do."

Sallyella (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 4, 2018

"Wow this medication is a lifesaver. It got me off Klonopin instantly. It did something unusual for me. I have Bipolar disorder type 2 and depression has just been my daily thing. This medication not only took away anxiety it completely took the depression away. I am on lamictal too. I have been on so many medications it’s scary. None of them working. This one has just sucked away my depression as if it never existed. I am amazed and even though I dislike medication, this one is a miracle. I take 1800 mg divided three times a day"

Lucy (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2018

"Saved my life. That's all I can say. I feel human again."

Joe (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2018

"I first starting taking this medicine in summer of 2017 for anxiety and panic disorder to help me from taking so much klonopin. I took 300mg 4x a day. To be honest it did help for a while but I think it's just because it was making me high. I know it doesn't directly affect gaba but it helps you detatch so you of course "feel better." Over time it will lose its potency though and I just ended up more depressed on it because it is a depressive drug. Since January 2018, I have been tapering down from 4 a day to almost just one 300mg per day and I've lost 20 lbs and my suicidal thoughts have been drastically reduced. I think this medication is probably good for short term use but overall not healthy to use for psychological reasons alone if you are prone to depressive thoughts or suicidal ideation."

Belle (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 14, 2018

"Works better for my anxiety than klonopin and xanax. Also puts me in a generally better mood."

K (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 11, 2018

"I have been on gabapentin for years. I have severe withdrawals. I stopped taking it for awhile, thinking I’m addicted, I went back on it because I wasn’t doing anything. Just watching TV All day. Now I swim, walk, take care of dogs, etc. I realized it helps me with anxiety and depression."

Zee (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 7, 2018

"Took 300mgs of Gabapentin today at 10:29am. Got really dizzy and my mouth felt a bit puffed up. But, I did not have that much anxiety. My anxiety makes my throat feel like it's going to close but when I took the gabapentin, I felt a lot better and now, at 5pm, my throat feels fine, my pain is gone and you know I feel a lot better. Supposed to be taking it 3 times a day. But, I am VERY scared of taking meds. But, once I found out gabapentin is a neurotransmitter and calms your nervous system, I felt better. Tired too. Maybe might get some sleep finally."

Gabayay (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2018

"I have been on this medicine for 3 year's. I take 3200mg daily in divided doses. I was put on it after I lost my husband to suicide in front of me."

KAT August 25, 2018

"Hey I’m Troy I live in California. I don’t know where to start so I’ll just tell you what I’ve been through and how this medication helped me. I’ve been bullied since grade 5 about a multitude of things. My whole life (so far) I’ve always felt different. Like I see things a lot differently than other people and I suffer from existential anxiety and severe anxiety. Always wondering why we’re here how we got here what’s the meaning of life blah blah blah. Anyways, you get my point and maybe you even relate to me. I’ve tried a bunch of medications to help me like: hydroxyzine, lexapro, abilify, adderall, strattera, Wellbutrin and a lot more I can’t remember atm. Anyways Gabapentin - after taking it for two days has already changed my thoughts, and my actions this medication makes me feel extremely happy, outgoing, at ease, and just overall fine. My thoughts no longer take control of me and drive me insane. Thank you Neurontin."

Troy August 21, 2018

"You definitely feel weird and spaced out for a few days but that will go away once your body gets used to it. I was prescribed 300mg 3X a day for pain. I also take OxyContin and Norco. It changed my whole life. My pain dr didn’t know about the years I have suffered with PTSD, GAD and severe tension. To the point where my muscles in my upper back, shoulders, neck and back of my head, including my jaw would tense so much that I had constant headaches. So severe that I would vomit. This went on for years. I tried EVERYTHING! So little did I know that when dr added gabapentin, it would change everything. I got my first 8 hr sleep in over 20 years. It helped with all the pain. I started going for walks, cleaning my house and doing projects again. I feel amazing! So please give it a chance to work. I know it feels weird and icky for a few days but that does go away. Don’t give up."

Jp patches (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 20, 2018

"On 400mg three times a day. Feel wonderful, but not drugged. I feel normal. No more anxiety or depression and I sleep 7 to 8 hours a night. For the people saying gabapentin isn't working for them: it could be because your dose is too low. I started at 100mg three times a day and it did nothing. Went up to 300mg three times a day and felt better, but still anxious and wasn't sleeping well. Went up to 400mg three times a day and it's working wonderfully. Don't give up. It's all about finding the right dose for you. Some people need a bigger dose three times a day to see results. Plus, it took about a month before I noticed the full results of the drug."

Halloween (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2018

"My psychiatrist put me on it to help me sleep. I have severe depression, anxiety, OCD and PTSD. I am a veteran. I have been on it for almost three months now, and I could not figure out what was wrong with me. I do have occasional bouts of anger, but my anger issues have gotten out of control. I find myself screaming and yelling at strangers, not to mention flipping drivers off. In addition, I am having memory loss that is worse than before, and it does not help me sleep at all. My depression is also 10 times worse. I am just waiting to be assigned to a new VA (I just moved), and get off this stuff safely. I take 900 mg a day (300 mg x 3 a night) for insomnia."

Ana (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2018

"I've had really severe anxiety for over 10 years. I've been prescribed Xanax, Klonopin, antihistamines, etc. The benzos somewhat worked. Anything else didn't touch it. When I say severe anxiety I mean tremors through my whole body, fainting, shortness of breath, the works.. Finally, someone suggested I try gabapentin. It was the best decision I have ever made. Since I've been taking 800mg twice a day my whole life has changed. I'm happy all the time, (I also suffer from depression and am currently taking an antidepressant that I can't spell lol), I have 50x more patience with my two young children, I have motivation to get things done, I keep busy all day rather than moping around and avoiding the world. This medication has changed my life and I highly recommend it to anyone who is suffering from severe anxiety or depression."

KayJay (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2018

"Somewhat effective. I was taking Klonopin for a few years, and was switched over. Gabapentin is very weak compared to Klonopin. I take 300mg 3x a day."

Gavin F (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 23, 2018