User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Anxiety

"For the last 7 years I have had severe anxiety, panic attacks, and insomnia. I was given remeron for sleep and klonopin for anxiety. Recently my pdoc and I decided it's time for me to get off the benzos. She gave me gabapentin and it's been a life saver. I'm doing well at gradually tapering off klonopin. The only drawback I find is that gabapentin wears off rather fast, and your body builds up a tolerance really fast. Been on it for 3 months now. I started at 100mg 3 times a day. Within a month I was up to 300mg 3xdaily and 600mg at night. Currently I am only taking it PRN at 300mg. As someone who has tried every mood stabilizer and anxiety medication under the sun. Gabapentin is amazing!"

Detox Steph (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I first took this drug it was amazing almost seemed as though I were tapping into the right side of my pain crazy right. I Love Love Love it, but seems like it started wearing off so took larger dose worked but again wore off. Don't know what the answer is. But It was an awesome drug bless the day they started it to us anxiety people........."

Nanxy (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"They help with my stress. And calm down my restless legs a lot. Make me a little drowsy."

Annette still (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication has worked wonders for me..it changed my life I was a the verge of suicide. It brought me out of my shell and now I'm going back to school and doing well..thanks to this medication."

Lilil June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor put me on this to help with my anxiety symptoms which include tight and sore jaw, tight and sore shoulders and tight and sore stomach. Not only did it take all that away, it helps me to sleep. I used to sleep great and didn't have these anxiety symptoms before my gastric sleeve surgery but ever since, I am developed insomnia and these anxiety symptoms. This has been a life saver for me!"

tiz4tggr (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm diagnosed MDD & Bipolar, Type 2, and this is the first medication I've taken that has a significant positive impact on my anxiety without bad side effects. I usually worry, have circular negative thought patterns, and feel awkward and lost in my head most of the day. But I've gone from 300mg to 400mg and now to 600 mg of generic gabapentin, and it works wonderfully. It doesn't make me sleepy, unlike benzos. Like quite a few people, I've abused benzos in the past, but rarely get an urge to take too many gabapentin because of the limited recreational use. In conclusion: in my opinion, gabapentin is a wonder-drug for anxiety; especially for addicts and/or those with bipolar disorder."

b_mercy (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"In 2009 I was nearly crippled by severe general anxiety disorder and have taken xanax every single day of my life since. In the past year, through the use of regular yoga and meditation, I have weaned back to 1mg/day. However, I could never really sleep deeply and I could not go a night without xanax. I would basically get no sleep at all. Even with it, I would often wake up at 4am and need to take more. Two months ago I was prescribed duloxetine. I take it at bedtime and it helps, but it never really shut off that buzzing anxiety in the background of my brain. So doc started me on gabapentin and I have been sleeping like a baby and slowly reducing the xanax. It's even helped some with my fibromyalgia."

Smallu (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Gabapentin saved me from anxiety and I inadvertently weaned off of klonopin while on it. I love it. Improved my quality of life significantly!"

TaylorsArmy (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Gabepen has turned me inton a ZOMBIE. I have kidney disease and never should had been prescribed this medication."

Doesn't work makes it worse June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"In a chemical dependancy program, suffered from anxiety and insomnia. Gabapentin saved my life. 300mg, 3X a day. 50mg of seroquel at night for sleep. I finally feel normal for the first time since my early 20's. I am 42. Best sleep ever, deep sleep, full dreams. Gabapentin made me feel a bit foggy for the first 2 weeks, but after settling in, I function fine, with normal energy and normal reactions to life. It has stabilized my appetite as well, I have actually lost 20 pounds in the past 6 weeks."

Anonymous June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It seems to work for generalized anxiety when taken in large doses twice a day (for me anyway). It does seem to cause weight gain though."

DVLS May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I think Gabapentin works better than benzodiazepines. I do not like taking benzos because they make me sleep. Gabapentin does relax me believe it or not I don't know about you but it does work for me. Of course for some reason I have to take more than 300 mg for it to relax me but it does work. And it doesn't make me sleepy but it does make me hungry LOL. I prefer Gabapentin or Neurontin over benzodiazepines."

April E. May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I WAS GIVEN GABAPENTIN FOR ANXIETY ABOUT SIX MONTHS AGO AND BEGAN TO HAVE SIDE EFFECTS VERY SOON. HIGHEST DOSE WAS 300MG THREE TIMES PER DAY. WAS TAKEN TO HOSPITAL SIX WEEKS AGO WITH SYMPTOMS OF A HEART ATTACK. AN ANGIOGRAM WAS DONE AND RESULTS WERE NEGATIVE BUT THE CHEST AND ARM PAINS EVEN FOOLED THE CARDIO PEOPLE. HEART DOCTOR TOLD ME TO STOP GABEPENTIN IMMED. I have been tapering for five weeks and it has been awful. PLEASE DON'T USE THIS DRUG"

drummer1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a severe traumatic brain injury (TBI) in 2006, since then we have tried multiple medications to control Anger. Depakote, Topamax, Klonapin, Zoloft etc etc. None of them worked . I have been in rages to where I don't want to be around anyone or talk. It's been 10 years now and I happened to go to a doctor in a small town and told her everything about my anger etc . She prescribed Gabapentin along with Cymbalta and I have felt the greatest change. I go outdoors and hike, fish , feel like I am living again. Still I will have my bad days but this medicine I highly recommend to people who suffer with anger/irritability. I completely understand that we are all different and medicines work differently and I truly hope the best for you reading this."

Survivior22 (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Quick relieve from anxiety improved mood and more productivity. Love it."

Affouni (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So far works better than anything else I've tried for social anxiety"

tea555 May 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been through many mental health diagnosis and double the amount in meds. I have been officially diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, severe generalized anxiety, situational panic attacks, delayed onset PTSD and a sensory processing disorder. I have tried many many drugs over the years to help with absolutely no luck. Until my therapist recommended gabapentin. Oh my goodness thank that wonderful man. I feel incredible. Absolutely no anxiety. I sleep wonderful at night and have energy during the day. I can tackle most obstacles with out crippling fear and panic. This drug literally saved my life. No real side effects for me which is extra amazing!"

Alliemazzing3 (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am an alcoholic with severe anxiety and depression. I am prescribed the max dose (1,200 mgs) 3x a day. I find some relief, but not the same relief I am looking for when I take benzos like Klonopin. I really only notice the effects of Gabapentin when I am not taking it, because I am a nervous wreck. During the "experience" I might just be numbed to knowing how I feel, and I think this is the point of the medication."

b-rock April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm pretty sure I've been taking it for over a year and it's amazing how much it has helped me handle my anxiety! I used to have suicidal thoughts and panic attacks daily but now I never have suicidal thoughts and I only have panic attacks once in a blue moon during my period. I'm sure my anti depression meds and my birth control are definitely helping but I know that without Gabapentin my anxiety would be a wreck still. Super glad my psychiatrist placed me on it!"

Summmmssss (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Gabapentin has really helped me with anxiety. I used to always be thinking of what I had to do while I was busy with something else. For example, I would worry about what I had to do after work while I was at work. I would play future scenarios over and over before they even occurred. I would play past experiences over and over. Some call this rumination. Much of this has either dropped down to a manageable level or just disappeared with gabapentin. I have never been one much into pharmaceuticals but this one works for me. I can see that some people love how it works for them, some people despise of it, and others say it doesn't do a thing for them. We are all different and what works for one doesn't work for another, just like diet. I'm much happier going out and doing ordinary things like shopping, going to the bank, and other ordinary routine tasks. I easily get bored with ordinary tasks and just want to get them done. I just wanted to get things over with so that I could take on the next task. Now, I can be more with what I am doing without having to rush through it to get to the next goal. I take my time and stop to talk with people. It's ok if I'm late for the next task so long as it's not an appointment where others are involved. The main thing for me is to enjoy people when I go out to a store, or the bank, or wherever! The gabapentin helps a part of my brain slow down so that I can "see" the people in my day. It really feels good to go to the gym and not feel tied to a specific exercise routine anymore. I like going in with a goal in mind, but allow for what the body is telling me. Instead of just checking in at the desk, I'm more likely to spend time saying hello and having patience. So what if it means that I will get home 5 minutes later and eat dinner 5 minutes later, and then get 5 minutes less sleep. Big deal! I see from writing this that gabapentin helps me to be less obsessive With gabapentin, it is much easier for me to accept doing a job I am tired of. I've been at the same job for a long job and was getting antsy to move on. There isn't anything bad about the job, but doing anything "forever" gets kind of old. Now, I know that soon I will be making a change, but can be"more" patient until the change happens. If I were completely patient, then the change would never happen. There is still fire to make the change happen. I feel less anxiety about change and welcome it more now. There are times in life when change is good. I don't feel as dead in my tracks with fearing change. It's o.k. if I don't figure out "everything" today because there is always tomorrow! Yes, I am very satisfied with how gabapentin works. I give it a 10 out of 10."

Matthew6969 March 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been battling severe anxiety and PTSD since I was a child. I am 43 years old. I have tried a vast majority of medications only to find out I don't react well to the majority. I have recently been hospitalized twice in the last two years due to an allergic reaction to benzodiaphines klonipin and Ativan. Instead of decreasing my anxiety it increased it to the point I was having suicidal idealisations. I also ensured extreme memory loss while on the benzodiazapines. My Dr. prescribed me neurotin and I was transformed a metamorphosis occurred I shed the anxiety and the depression and negative thoughts of doom. I have my life back!! I can live with side effects I love being able to leave my house !!"

Zxvfseuhggkdkjfb (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had bad anxiety since I was a teen (now 38). I was usually prescribed a benzo, their effective yet very addictive. Anyway, I take 800mg of gabapentin 3x daily with Prozac and they work very well together and I'm finally getting used to not having to take benzos anymore. And my sciatica pain is greatly reduced. God bless."

Friendly person from WB (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So for it help with my anxiety. But with pain I wonder do it help with that."

Ctousant1956 March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am truly amazed by how well this works for my anxiety. I have PTSD, nightmares and waking up from them would ruin my day I would have flashbacks but ever since I started this new medication I feel normal which is something I am not used to it is definitely exciting to know that I don't feel anxious to the point of feeling like I can't breathe I feel normal and that is amazing.. I don't even feel that I need my Xanax. Which is a huge relief and I am so happy that I finally found a medication that can help with my High anxiety and PTSD without having to take so many benzo's"

Bigal0919 (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For years I could not pinpoint what was causing such cripling anxiety, insomnia and issues with focus and low grade mood issues. Then after doing some family geneaology, I realized I had inherited traits from a side of the family with the Bipolar Disorder. I quickly started taking Neurontin and within the span of literally 1 (one) day the issues started to resolve almost immediately. I can now drive, go out in public, interact with more people, get a great sleep and I have less racing thoughts than ever before. It has also helped manage and eliminate some nerve pain from a damaged nerve due to lung surgery in 2005. I also take Lamictal for my low grade moods. I have what is known as Cyclothymia, a unique form of the Bipolar disorder."

ScottishZen (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 11, 2017