User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Anxiety

"My psychiatrist put me on it to help me sleep. I have severe depression, anxiety, OCD and PTSD. I am a veteran. I have been on it for almost three months now, and I could not figure out what was wrong with me. I do have occasional bouts of anger, but my anger issues have gotten out of control. I find myself screaming and yelling at strangers, not to mention flipping drivers off. In addition, I am having memory loss that is worse than before, and it does not help me sleep at all. My depression is also 10 times worse. I am just waiting to be assigned to a new VA (I just moved), and get off this stuff safely. I take 900 mg a day (300 mg x 3 a night) for insomnia."

Ana (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2018

"I've had really severe anxiety for over 10 years. I've been prescribed Xanax, Klonopin, antihistamines, etc. The benzos somewhat worked. Anything else didn't touch it. When I say severe anxiety I mean tremors through my whole body, fainting, shortness of breath, the works.. Finally, someone suggested I try gabapentin. It was the best decision I have ever made. Since I've been taking 800mg twice a day my whole life has changed. I'm happy all the time, (I also suffer from depression and am currently taking an antidepressant that I can't spell lol), I have 50x more patience with my two young children, I have motivation to get things done, I keep busy all day rather than moping around and avoiding the world. This medication has changed my life and I highly recommend it to anyone who is suffering from severe anxiety or depression."

KayJay (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2018

"Somewhat effective. I was taking Klonopin for a few years, and was switched over. Gabapentin is very weak compared to Klonopin. I take 300mg 3x a day."

Gavin F (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 23, 2018

"I took Gabapentin 300mg at night and found it made me drowsy so l had to go to bed by 9pm. I woke up having after having awful bad dreams and anxiety for hours so I dumped the pills in the trash. What garbage! Don't ever take this before driving or at work!"

Ketapang July 18, 2018

"I absolutely love gabapentin. I was originally prescribed this for generalized anxiety disorder, but actually, it hits a few things on me at once. It calms my anxiety, helps my essential tremor, and soothes my restless legs syndrome. It's an essential and beneficial CNS med that I will happily take forever if need be. I do not experience any side effects whatsoever, although there was some dizziness when I first started taking it. I take 1800 mg per day."

OldHippieInOhio (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 2, 2018

"I've had terrible depression and anxiety for over 20 years. I was prescribed Paxil in 1995 and it worked great until last year. It just stopped working and I had horrible rebound depression, anxiety, panic attacks and insomnia. I felt really bad.. My CNP prescribed Gabapentin and I felt better after the first dose. I take 300mg three times a day and feel wonderful. No more anxiety, depression, constant worrying and it works great for insomnia. The first night I took it, I slept 8 hours straight. I haven't slept that well in over 30 years. I had a few side effects such as slight dizziness and brain fog , but it passed in a few days. What's so great about it is it doesn't make me feel drugged. I just feel calm, clear-headed and relaxed. I can focus on the important things in my life and stop needlessly worrying about things such as "what if I can't sleep tonight?" "What if I go into Walmart and have a panic attack?". What if, what if.. This drug is truly a life saver for me."

CinnaGoo June 27, 2018

"I suffer from anxiety and severe PTSD. I was on Benzos for a long time but like so many was taken off due to long term risks. Gabapentin has taken care of my anxiety and traumatic flashbacks. A lot of my trauma was physical so I'll go through days where my entire body is in pain just out of cell memory. Gabapentin relieves the pain for me and helps me to stay in the present. The only side effect for me is extreme paranoia if I take more than 100mgs a day. I'm tiny and very sensitive to medication so low doses are more effective. I also take Lamictal daily which helps to counter any paranoia. This is just me though but I wanted to share my own experience. I was really apprehensive on trying Gabapentin because of all the scary reviews I read but I'm so happy I went on it. Everyone's brain chemistry is different. It's all about finding the right one for you."

Ray (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2018

"I had great results with gabapentin. I am currently only on one drop a day. I am very sensitive to psychotropic drugs. So I asked for the liquid version. I am going to slowly increase my dose over time. It has lessened my anxiety and helped insomnia. Improved mood also. I’m afraid that some start on a big dose, have a reaction, then disregard the drug. It can be a reaction that your body is getting accustomed to the drug. Not that you cannot tolerate the drug. Obviously this wouldn’t apply to allergic, anaphylactic reactions. This wouldn’t apply for epilepsy bc you need a standard dose. My issue is anxiety. So I don’t absolutely have to have the drug. It helps for anxiety tho."

Lou-Ann (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2018

"I was put on gabapentin as a last resort to my anxiety. I have not been able to function in society. I am a disabled veteran. I am in my second week now, and I am getting worried. I am so tired, but I can't sleep. I am not joking, I haven't slept for days now. I have dipped into extreme depression, and now I have uncontrollable shaking and twitching. I guess this is my entry to this med, and it really hurts. I am in contact about this situation with my med profs. They said it will take time for my body to adjust. For now though, I am very worried, this is not me."

Jordan (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2018

"Fantastic. Felt great and anxiety free the morning after taking it the previous evening. Loads of energy. Did a lot of things that I previously had not done for a good while. Asked friends if they thought I might be high or euphoric and they said no."

Mr brown (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2018

"Been on Gabapentin past couple years for anxiety and social phobia. Recently, increased to 300mg three times per day. I've read everywhere about the withdrawal symptoms of it. It scares me a lot! I have been trying to take it every OTHER day but on the following day after, I really do feel depressed and anxiety is so bad, I can't leave my house. A day later it lifts, and I start all over again. Does anyone else do it this way? I really am hesitant about taking it every day and having to one day perhaps face serious consequences of quitting it."

patindaytona (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 11, 2018

"I have anxiety, pretty much generalized, that kicks my butt every couple years. It is bad and if it hangs around long enough I get very depressed. Insomnia too. I recently retired to a more rural coastal community and had to find a new Psychiatrist. I did but waited too long to see him. I was a wreck by the time I walked into his office for the first time. Anyway, I had been taking Ativan prescribed by my GP but it wasn’t working much and of course it can cause bounce back anxiety. My New Doc prescribed Gabapentin. He started me on baby doses of 100mg a day. I am now taking 100mg in am. 100mg mid day and 300mg at night. I feel so much better. I have not been taking any Ativan at all. No side effects except maybe a little euphoric. For sleep he prescribed Remeron which also did the trick and is not habit forming."

Beachbum (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2018

"The only thing Gabapentin did for me was make me a zombie. It gave me horrible problems with balance, memory, and blurred vision. I also had a major problem finding words. My old doc refuses to hear it and would yell at me when I mentioned the gabapentin giving me side effects. I mentioned everything to my new doc and he decided to wean me off of the gabapentin and onto Ativan three times daily as well as a supplement called L-Theanine three times daily. The weaning process took about a week (I was taking 600mg gabapentin 3xD). I have never felt calmer, more sane, and more relaxed!! All of this without any balance, vision, or speech problems! Gabapentin is garbage! So glad to be free at last!"

AnxietyB69 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 24, 2018

"First day on Gabapentin first dose felt awesome. On 100mg 3x a day. Took second doing well! I finally hope and pray my feeling awesome continues."

Min31 (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2018

"Just started to take for anxiety. No side effects noted."

Sue (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2018

"I take 200 MG three times a day for Social and Generalized anxiety disorder, along with occasional panic. It works very well. I tried SSRI antidepressants before, but couldn’t handle the side effects. Gabapentin works great!"

KH22 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 3, 2018

"I suffer from anxiety and was prescribed this versus my previous medication of Lexapro which didn’t work for me at all. Within two days of taking this new medication gabapentin, I was almost in tears because of how spacey and uncomfortable I was. I was prescribed only 100mg to take once per night. I woke up the next morning feeling extremely spaced out and I felt stoned even though I wasn’t. I couldn’t process my thoughts correctly, I was forgetting how to do simple tasks and even losing short term memory when someone asked me to do job related tasks. I felt my eyes were very sleepy even though I had plenty of rest. While this helped ease my anxiety I noticed I was paranoid and noticed everything around me amplified. I was only on this medication for two days but that’s all I needed to make me realize this wasn’t helping me whatsoever."

Becca March 25, 2018

"My Doctor took me off a drug I have used for the last 5 years and put me on Gabapentin. This is just terrible made me feel worse as I had all the side affects. Worst mistake ever to be on this if you have depression, anxiety, can't sleep - this all intensified in me!!! My Dr didn't go over any side affects with me at all and my mistake for not asking - a Big mistake!!! I was just a mess on this medication I could not stop shaking, every thing got worse!! This is not something I ever want to go though again or see anyone else go though."

Lynn (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2018

"Gabapentin has changed my life! I've suffered from anxiety for over 15 years and have tried everything. I've been to many doctors and tried paxil, effexor, Zoloft, buspar, Attivan, and clonazepam. Antidepressants did not help me at all. The stronger drugs helped at first but my anxiety overwhelmed the drugs unless I was on a high dose and was just out of it. I didn't know what to do until a psychiatrist put me on gabapentin 300mg x3 daily. I can now live and do things almost like a normal person! Not one panic attack since I've started this medication(I was having them 2-3 tines a week.) At first I would get a little dizzy but it went away after a few days. If you are feeling hopeless please ask your doctor to try this medication. I'm so glad I have found it. I believe this drug could help a lot of people with anxiety!!"

Harris855 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 10, 2018

"It's the only medication that works for me long term. I've had side effects with every medication besides Neurontin."

Keana (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2018

"I have SEVERE PTSD from finding my Husband dead. Emergency services worked on him for 45 minutes. This left me with severe anxiety, I was on Xanax for over a year. I've gone on gabapentin for extreme pain in my neck & back. I just looked up "gabapentin for anxiety" because I've noticed that I haven't been panicked at all since I've started taking it. I thought, if this isn't being prescribed for anxiety, it should be. Low & behold, it is. My Dr wanted to start me on 300mg 3 times a day, but I asked for the lowest dose due to med sensitivity. I was prescribed 100mg 3 times a day. I've never felt better. I usually don't even take a 3rd pill. Pain I've been dealing w & taking thousands of mgs of other meds to attempt to relieve, is just gone. As if that wasn't enough, I'm no longer panicked? My mind is just blown. I don't know if I'll have negative side effects, but w this level of quality of life being restored, I assume that any side effect may be well worth it. Miracle drug "

JessicaOpal February 24, 2018

"Just started this prescription for anxiety. After taking it, it almost felt like a body buzz. I felt great. Zoned in, felt like I was moving at a better pace instead of slow and not engaged. My anxiety was the lowest I have felt in years. It was so relaxing to not feel anxious."

Anonymous February 16, 2018

"I had an addiction problem for over 30yrs and when I finally came to my senses and wanted to stop methadone and subutex, I was prescribed Gabapentin, I suffer from anxiety, depression and have recently been diagnosed as bipolar. Over the years I have self medicated with everything and anything. Taking Gabapentin really has been a miracle for me. I no longer want illicit drugs, I feel relaxed, motivated and for the first time in many years happy.. I take three 300mg three times a day. It can cause tummy problems and I generally have to take something once a week or so to stop this.. best medication I have ever had. May not suit everyone "

Cortana (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 13, 2018

"Didn’t do much, if anything, for my anxiety. I didn’t notice any side effects. I took 300mg 3x a day."

ow7en (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2018

"I first took this for nerve pain which worked awesome but was pleasantly surprised to find it worked for my anxiety also. About the only drug that ever did anything, no SSRI's have ever worked for me."

Piki (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2018