User Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Migraine

Also known as: Neurontin, Gralise, Gabarone, Fanatrex

Gabapentin has an average rating of 7.9 out of 10 from a total of 109 ratings for the off-label treatment of Migraine. 78% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 13% reported a negative experience.

Gabapentin rating summary

7.9/10 average rating

Compare all 131 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Gabapentin

a miracle drug for me. · June 29, 2013

“As a migraine sufferer since I was 13 yrs old. I am now 56 yrs old. I tried it all. Imitrex, Fiorinol, Maxalt, Fioricet, Relpax, Zomig, Treximet, Cafergot, you name it. Sometimes I ended up in the E.R for a shot of Toradol. Finally I saw a general practitioner. He put me on gabapentin, 400 mg 3x a day. What a miracle. I've been on it for over a year now and been TOTALLY headache free. Wish all my other doctors were up with this. Would have saved me a lot of suffering.”

Helenehrenhofer · Taken for less than 1 month · April 26, 2013

“I have had chronic almost daily migraines for almost 25 years, have been to many neurologists, had many MRIs, and other tests and have tried many medicines. In last two years, I have had to take Vicodin, because nothing else worked. Well, my doctor prescribed three 100 mg of this pill, and after 1 pill, I woke up to no migraines. I was into a three week migraine. I have had no migraines now for two consecutive days. First time in years and years. This is a miracle pill. I feel a little groggy, like I have had 2 drinks, but I have only been on this for 2 days. I cannot believe the FDA won't allow this pill to be marketed for treatment of chronic migraines. This pill should also help with restless legs syndrome, back pain, and anxiety. Wow!!!”

Sandra D. · September 29, 2020

“This medication gabapentin was a life saver for migraines. I had very bad headaches along with gum and tooth pain and just after two days of taking this med my pain is gone and I’m a new person. It has helped my anxiety tremendously as well as my sleep. I am so thankful. Please don’t lose hope. Just try it and it might work for you. Good luck :-)”

Th. vaz-san · Taken for 1 to 6 months · June 28, 2014

“I have migraines since I was 12, I went to different doctors, exams, medicine etc; I was in pain 5 or 6 days in a row till I used gabapentin. This medicine changed my entire life. Now I have a headaches once a month it's incredible. The consequences I'm happy all of the time and I spent more time with my little boys.”

Bhaven · July 13, 2015

“I began having debilitating migraines when I was 15 years old. Such severe pain and nausea that lasted for many days each week. The migraines continued until I was over 40 years of age. I would have to go to the ER for shots to help with the pain and the nausea. My life was literally miserable, because I would only be pain-free a few days a month. Then, when in my 40's, after having migraines for over 25 years, I was put on Neurontin, not for migraines, but as a mood stabilizer. Miraculously, my migraines stopped completely. I am now 62 years old, and have not had a single migraine since in my 40's. I am on 2400 mg of Neurontin a day. I take two 400mg capsules three times daily. No other drug ever helped with my migraines.”

Mmmmg · Taken for less than 1 month · February 15, 2022

“Okay y’all. I was diagnosed with post Covid lingering headaches that won’t give. I’ve been in constant pain and discomfort since my Covid diagnosis (3+ months ago). I tried a plethora of different migraine meds and NONE worked (likely because I didn’t have a “traditional” migraine). Gabapentin was recommended by a neurologist on the east coast for lingering Covid headaches so my neurologist said let’s give it a try and IM SO GLAD WE DID! 10/10 recommend if you are looking for lingering Covid headache relief!! I also experience severe anxiety and depression (I’m on celexa as well) and this has helped supplement that tremendously.”

dvl · June 6, 2015

“I started having migraine headaches when I was 14. The first time I had one, I was sitting in Biology class and could not see the faces of other students around me. I was terrified and had a panic attack. The school nurse thought I was on drugs and called my mother who immediately took me to a doctor. The migraines continued through out my life and caused me difficulty in my employment. I am a solo practitioner lawyer. When I would get one in court, I could not see, speak or think. Obviously, I had migraines with an aura. My family doctor only treated the pain, but finally I went to a psychiatrist and he prescribed Gabapentin and Lexapro. My migraines stopped completely. It has been seven months now and I am migraine free.”

HeatherADL · November 20, 2013

“Did not work at all for the chronic pain it was perscribed for, but while I was taking it I stopped having the frequent migraines I was having. The one time I wasn't able to take it all day and got a migraine, taking my nighttime dose got rid of my migraine. My migraines are resistant to ALL over the counter medications, so I was very happy to finally find something that works!”

NikkiRN · Taken for 1 to 6 months · December 15, 2016

“I have had migraines for over 15 years now. I have tried everything out there from Imitrex to Morphine for reduction of pain, from Propranolol to Nortriptyline for prophylactics and nothing worked. My doctor was running out of options and suggested Gabapentin and what a difference. Now because it makes me tired, I only take at night before I go to bed, so I do not have ANY side effects that other people do. I take a dose of 300 mg at bedtime and so far it has been a life saver. I have not had any headaches for over a month since starting the Gabapentin. I had such bad migraines, they would last up to 4 days straight without any relief. Needless to say, I am quite happy with the medication.”

Raenef · June 18, 2015

“I've had headaches since I was 6 years old. Cluster headaches almost every single day. Migraines once or twice a week. I went to so many doctors, went through so many scans, and tests that I actually learned to read MRI sheets before I was a teenager. Apparently there's nothing physically wrong. So I went to PT, and chiropractors and they only helped a bit. At 14 I was old enough to start taking the harsher pills. Most turned me into a zombie. And I've only stuck with two in the end. I have just started having hand joint pains, and possible carpal tunnel, so I was put on a very high dose of Gabapentin. Two days later, headaches were gone. No rhyme or reason. Poof. It makes zero sense, but it's a miracle drug. 100/10 would refer to anyone”

azgenereaux · Taken for 2 to 5 years · July 28, 2014

“Gabapentin not only helped with migraines, shortening their intensity, duration and also my recovery time afterward, but it also helped with spasticity, my duration and quality of sleep, muscle stiffness and pain and some cognition. I take it for issues surrounding traumatic brain injury and have had no negative side effects, but several positive ones.”

3 days in. 3 days headache free! · Taken for less than 1 month · March 5, 2014

“My neurologist put me on this after being on Topamax and propranolol for chronic migraines for 5 months. For the first time in 6 months, I haven't had a headache for 3 consecutive days and it's a miracle! Only thing is that I've been excessively thirsty and having some problems with my vision/dizziness, but she warned me that I would likely experience the dizziness. Such a change in my life.”

shmo · May 29, 2015

“I have been having chronic migraines for 5 years now and probably 50 other prescriptions wrote for me and finally gabapentin is like a miracle for me.My migraines were 24/7 with tension in shoulders and neck. Felt little tired and strange first day but great relief now. My doctor and neurologist all but gave up on me and was filling pretty depressed. Thank you gabapentin!!!!!”

OodlesOPoodles · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · November 28, 2015

“My neurologist prescribed me this drug at 600mg at night for my chronic, daily migraines and it is quite literally, a god send. It helms with migraine prevention, anxiety, and even helped with my chronic pelvic pain before my hysterectomy! Taken w/ my 100mg of Topamax, I get maybe one or two migraines a MONTH! I used to have DAILY migraines that required Toradol and Phenergan injections to kill. I will say the only downside was that I gained a pound or two but nothing exercise can't squash. Overall, GREAT drug. Highly recommended if you suffer from chronic migraines!!”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years · May 29, 2012

Neurontin (gabapentin): “I have taken Neurontin for several years, I still get headaches but I find them much more manageable and when I do get one I take Imitrex/Excedrin. My main trigger is hard fragrances, now if I could just find a way to avoid that, I think that Neurontin would be all I need.”

ESteele · Taken for less than 1 month · May 25, 2020

“I was given Gabapentin to help with neuropathy in my foot. As a migraine sufferer this had severe side effects. It actually caused me the worst migraine I've ever had. It caused me to go to the ER for treatment. Side effects were severe headache with nausea, vomiting, and light sensitivity. I will never ever take this medicine again for any reason.”

Sindell · Taken for less than 1 month · May 17, 2014

“Great medicine--I tried tons of other treatments and was down to my last option, I was at 300 MG and it started to work with few side effects besides increased appetite and a little more tired at first-a lifesaver!”

WB · Taken for 2 to 5 years · October 15, 2019

“I have struggled with migraines since the early 90's. Aleve always helped (and still does for headaches) But starting in 2009, my migraines were accompanied by vertigo with violent episodes of vomiting that were completely debilitating. Very little warning, less than 30 minutes, and I had to lay flat, not move, or I would be sick. Barometric changes seem to bring them on, but not always. I went to an ENT doctor who diagnosed them as vestibular migraines since I had ear-ringing and fullness as a prelude to the vertigo. I had several episodes a year for 6 years until in 2015 I was getting them every 2 weeks or so. I was referred to a neurologist who specializes in migraines and she prescribed Gabapentin. I started out on 300mg and now I take 1200 mg every day. I take the pills AT NIGHT because they make me drowsy. I take them 2 hours before bedtime because that is when the drowsiness kicks in. I have not had any of the violent episodes since being on Gabapentin nor any migraines.”

Adverse Reaction To Gabapentin · Taken for less than 1 month · August 9, 2013

“An orthopedic specialist prescribed Gabapentin to relieve the pain associated with a muscluar/spine issue I'm working through. I have had migraines since I was 5-years-old and one dose of this medication brought on one of the worst migraines I've had in years. It also made me wide awake at bedtime, instead of sleepy, as well as dizzy and nauseous.”

DallasGrl77 · February 6, 2015

“My Neuro put me on Gabapentin 300m every night, and I went from chronic migraines 3-5 a mth, to only 1-2 a month. If I take my Sumatriptan as soon as I feel a migraine coming on (along with ice bag rotating on my head) it goes away within an hour or two. Miracle medications! They have saved my life!”

OhWhatPain · Taken for 1 to 6 months · April 6, 2019

“I am 53 yrs old, male and have had chronic tension-type (mostly) headaches my entire life. Nobody has ever been able to help me with them other than the usual suspects like Tylenol, Advil (ibuprofen). Problem is that due to gastric reasons I'm not supposed to take Advil and that was a problem. I normally had headaches about 5-6 days a week. I've used Neurontin on and off for neuropathy but I never paid any attention to the effects on my headaches. One day I was on the phone with my 30yr old son that has the same headaches and he said: ”Dad, my Neuro put me on Gabapentin for my headaches and it works really well”. Hmm, I said. I said I will try it again and pay attention. 300mg Neurontin three times a day has given me a 98% reduction. Damn! I said I wish I had known this 40yrs ago. It has been a cure. Now my question is, how, how does it prevent my headaches?”

Krzpe · Taken for less than 1 month · February 20, 2017

“Worked for migrane I had been prescribed lots of different drugs I have had Botox, had my ear pierced I have been to the chiropractor, eye doctor two different neurologist I had been having migraines almost everyday finally with this medication I haven't had a migraine in a week”

jenkay · August 18, 2008

Neurontin (gabapentin): “I started taking Neurontin 4 days ago for my migraine headaches, and I can already tell it is starting to help me in so many ways. I was having up to 3 headaches a day, and felt I was slowly falling down a hole I didn't have the strength to pull myself out of. I feel like I'm getting my life back. Thank you.”

TonyC · Taken for less than 1 month · March 22, 2019

“Diagnosed with migraines 20+ years ago and have been practically crippled by it, but now Gabapentin is working well for me, finally. Initially I was advised to take 800mg of ibuprofen at the onset, which kind of worked if I took it in this tiny window of time. Before gabapentin I found out on my own that using cannabis was helpful. . . I don't have any problem with anyone smoking weed but don't like feeling trapped into smoking it constantly myself. Made me kind of weird socially, also forgetful and lazy. Also obviously weed wasn't legal anywhere in the U.S. for all of those two decades Recently Gabapentin has allowed me to stop using daily cannabis to prevent/treat migraines. I feel a little dopey but not nearly as much as when I constantly smoked weed. Nothing else ever helped at all including Topamax, which was a nightmare. I'm not a paid by anyone or have any agenda with this, only hoping to help others in my same situation.”

Basia · Taken for less than 1 month · July 18, 2022

“Today is Monday. I picked up my Gabapentin last week on Wednesday and started taking it that night (300mg) for migraines. I've had migraines for the past 39 years. When I tell you I've tried everything, please believe me. I've even been going for botox for migraines for just over one year now. By dose two, I was able to feel a difference! During the weekend (Saturday and Sunday), I had a horrific migraine where absolutely nothing was working. The only thing that worked was taking my Gabapentin along with Motrin. I'm not even a full week in and other than those 2 days, I feel very good. Also, once a week, I play bingo and usually need to take my rescue meds. When I played bingo (which was my second dose), I never needed my rescue meds at all that night. Truly incredible. Not one doctor in 39 years has ever suggested Gabapentin and I cannot figure out why. I'm so happy I found this headache specialist. I can only hope that the results not only continue, but they get better.”

Learn more about Migraine