User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 129 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Migraine

"Got botox and been through all the meds for 8 yrs, finally got the nerve decompression surgery and thought I was well on my way then WHAM hit with a massive migraine with vertigo was horrible lasted for weeks then Dr gave me Neurontin and WHAM it pulled me right out of my migraine!!!!!! so I'm confident now, hoping for great results."

rabird (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2016

"I started taking gabapentin since I had vertigo, nausea, dizziness, headaches and I collapsed twice (I am only 23 years old). The doctors said I have migraines. Gabapentin has really bad side effects. I was on 300mg per day for 9 weeks and it took me a month to get used to them. Pains in the chest, throat and back for weeks. Just horrible. It you can tolerate the side effects I would suggest taking them since they did help. Theg haven't resolved my issues but did help with the situation. Be careful when you stop them though since they got bad withdrawal symptoms."

Antony V (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2016

"I've had migraines for about 6 years. I take Fioricet for pain management, which works well, but I wanted to try preventing migraines altogether instead of treating them with painkillers, so my doctor prescribed Gabapentin. After about 2 or 3 days, I started to notice side-effects of blurred vision, so much that I couldn't read text in my web browser. It wasn't drowsy or light-headed, but more as if my eyes simply couldn't focus at the correct depth. I also noticed I was extremely clumsier, banging my knees, elbows, and shins on everything until I was covered in bruises. After a month of taking it, I saw no change in the frequency nor intensity of my migraines (I keep a pain log to make sure), so I stopped"

Berander (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2015

"My neurologist prescribed me this drug at 600mg at night for my chronic, daily migraines and it is quite literally, a god send. It helms with migraine prevention, anxiety, and even helped with my chronic pelvic pain before my hysterectomy! Taken w/ my 100mg of Topamax, I get maybe one or two migraines a MONTH! I used to have DAILY migraines that required Toradol and Phenergan injections to kill. I will say the only downside was that I gained a pound or two but nothing exercise can't squash. Overall, GREAT drug. Highly recommended if you suffer from chronic migraines!!"

OodlesOPoodles (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2015

"I'm actually a chronic cluster headache patient for over 30 years. Started when I got sober in 82. Cleveland Clinic finally figured out what the problem was. Now for about 10 years I've been on the Gabapentin as part of my medical cocktail. We just had to increase the dosage today from 600 to 900 as the clusters were back on a nightly alarm clock basis. Well, tonight I have been headache free and hoping this increase will do the trick. Has worked before but maybe just time for increase in my dosage. Prayers please. These clusters are no fun. Thanks and good luck to all headache patients."

Dickfromftmyers September 1, 2015

"I began having debilitating migraines when I was 15 years old. Such severe pain and nausea that lasted for many days each week. The migraines continued until I was over 40 years of age. I would have to go to the ER for shots to help with the pain and the nausea. My life was literally miserable, because I would only be pain-free a few days a month. Then, when in my 40's, after having migraines for over 25 years, I was put on Neurontin, not for migraines, but as a mood stabilizer. Miraculously, my migraines stopped completely. I am now 62 years old, and have not had a single migraine since in my 40's. I am on 2400 mg of Neurontin a day. I take two 400mg capsules three times daily. No other drug ever helped with my migraines."

Bhaven July 13, 2015

"I've had headaches since I was 6 years old. Cluster headaches almost every single day. Migraines once or twice a week. I went to so many doctors, went through so many scans, and tests that I actually learned to read MRI sheets before I was a teenager. Apparently there's nothing physically wrong. So I went to PT, and chiropractors and they only helped a bit. At 14 I was old enough to start taking the harsher pills. Most turned me into a zombie. And I've only stuck with two in the end. I have just started having hand joint pains, and possible carpal tunnel, so I was put on a very high dose of Gabapentin. Two days later, headaches were gone. No rhyme or reason. Poof. It makes zero sense, but it's a miracle drug. 100/10 would refer to anyone"

Raenef June 18, 2015

"I started having migraine headaches when I was 14. The first time I had one, I was sitting in Biology class and could not see the faces of other students around me. I was terrified and had a panic attack. The school nurse thought I was on drugs and called my mother who immediately took me to a doctor. The migraines continued through out my life and caused me difficulty in my employment. I am a solo practitioner lawyer. When I would get one in court, I could not see, speak or think. Obviously, I had migraines with an aura. My family doctor only treated the pain, but finally I went to a psychiatrist and he prescribed Gabapentin and Lexapro. My migraines stopped completely. It has been seven months now and I am migraine free."

dvl June 6, 2015

"I have been having chronic migraines for 5 years now and probably 50 other prescriptions wrote for me and finally gabapentin is like a miracle for me.My migraines were 24/7 with tension in shoulders and neck. Felt little tired and strange first day but great relief now. My doctor and neurologist all but gave up on me and was filling pretty depressed. Thank you gabapentin!!!!!"

shmo May 29, 2015

"I had been taking topomax and Botox injections. They helped initially, the Botox helps within one week, sometimes two. I got injections ev'y 3 mths. Quit working after awhile. Now on gabapentin. Seems to be helping somewhat on higher dose but weight gain is horrible! I do not have increased appetite nor eat more either. Not sure what to do about it. Can't keep increasing weight."

Charleyrules May 9, 2015

"I take 1800 mg for the last three months. I have suffered aquired brain injury from viral encephalitis. One of my main problems is ice pick headaches and ringing in both ears. While I have been taking this medication my neurologist recommend that I also receive Botox injections. Also with no help, next injections take place in two weeks. I was informed that the first time of injections do not expect to much."

Oromocto April 13, 2015

"My Neuro put me on Gabapentin 300m every night, and I went from chronic migraines 3-5 a mth, to only 1-2 a month. If I take my Sumatriptan as soon as I feel a migraine coming on (along with ice bag rotating on my head) it goes away within an hour or two. Miracle medications! They have saved my life!"

DallasGrl77 February 6, 2015

"I have been taking this for 2 months now. The first month I still had several horrible headaches. This second month I have yet to have one. Which is fantastic for me. I am having a slight problem keeping my emotions down. I seem to be very sad and lack energy. I am hoping that this will level out with time, because it works fantastic on my headaches."

tDanielleb January 15, 2015

"Suffered from headaches for 4 months as I tried Topamax which did not work, and with horrible side effects. Been on Neurontin for 10 days, 300 Mgs 3xday. Headaches are virtually GONE. Kidneys functioning better now that I'm off of Topamax. Increased appetite and slightly blurry vision are manageable side effects. My life is back. So far, the headache suffering is OVER. 4 months of hellish headaches ended in one week."

Cavs Fan (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2015

"I was taking Topamax 200 mg every day for my monthly migraines and it was working well until I went to my eye doctor and he checked the pressure in my eyes. I had a high pressure in my left eye so my doctor put me on gabapentin. I take 200 mg every day and its been great. Even when I do get a migraine its very muted and very tolerable. Great medicine!"

Anonymous January 2, 2015

"I started having headaches, pressure, and a hangover like feeling in the mornings about a year ago. In early December 2014 I was diagnosed with migraines which were causing my issues. My neurologist put me on 300mg of gabapentin and I felt great from 12/5-12/20. I started getting the morning hangover feeling again on 12/21. My neurologist is now upping the dosage, hope it gets me back to that point/place."

ToddL (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2014

"I broke my arm and severely messed my back up in a car accident. I have had sciatic pain for 2 year. With Percocet, gabapentin and Zanaflex I am able to function correctly."

tjl70 October 20, 2014

"Gabapentin not only helped with migraines, shortening their intensity, duration and also my recovery time afterward, but it also helped with spasticity, my duration and quality of sleep, muscle stiffness and pain and some cognition. I take it for issues surrounding traumatic brain injury and have had no negative side effects, but several positive ones."

azgenereaux (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 28, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have migraines since I was 12, I went to different doctors, exams, medicine etc; I was in pain 5 or 6 days in a row till I used gabapentin. This medicine changed my entire life. Now I have a headaches once a month it's incredible. The consequences I'm happy all of the time and I spent more time with my little boys."

Th. vaz-san (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2014

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have experienced crippling pain that left me hungover. My doctor put me on Gabapentin and the migraines have stopped, so have the leg cramps."

Not Hurting (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 25, 2014

"Great medicine--I tried tons of other treatments and was down to my last option, I was at 300 MG and it started to work with few side effects besides increased appetite and a little more tired at first-a lifesaver!"

Sindell (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2014

"I read the other comments and decided to try it. It was wonderful! I've been using Neurontin for nerve pain down my leg for 3 months. It's great to know it serves more than one purpose. Thanks everyone."

Vbeckford March 9, 2014

"My neurologist put me on this after being on Topamax and propranolol for chronic migraines for 5 months. For the first time in 6 months, I haven't had a headache for 3 consecutive days and it's a miracle! Only thing is that I've been excessively thirsty and having some problems with my vision/dizziness, but she warned me that I would likely experience the dizziness. Such a change in my life."

3 days in. 3 days headache free! (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2014

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Did not work at all for the chronic pain it was perscribed for, but while I was taking it I stopped having the frequent migraines I was having. The one time I wasn't able to take it all day and got a migraine, taking my nighttime dose got rid of my migraine. My migraines are resistant to ALL over the counter medications, so I was very happy to finally find something that works!"

HeatherADL November 20, 2013

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"An orthopedic specialist prescribed Gabapentin to relieve the pain associated with a muscluar/spine issue I'm working through. I have had migraines since I was 5-years-old and one dose of this medication brought on one of the worst migraines I've had in years. It also made me wide awake at bedtime, instead of sleepy, as well as dizzy and nauseous."

Adverse Reaction To Gabapentin (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2013