User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 129 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Migraine

"I have had migraines for over 15 years now. I have tried everything out there from Imitrex to Morphine for reduction of pain, from Propranolol to Nortriptyline for prophylactics and nothing worked. My doctor was running out of options and suggested Gabapentin and what a difference. Now because it makes me tired, I only take at night before I go to bed, so I do not have ANY side effects that other people do. I take a dose of 300 mg at bedtime and so far it has been a life saver. I have not had any headaches for over a month since starting the Gabapentin. I had such bad migraines, they would last up to 4 days straight without any relief. Needless to say, I am quite happy with the medication."

NikkiRN (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2016

"I actually started taking Gabapentin as a mood stabilizer. This morning I woke up and thought to myself "man I haven't had a headache in forever." I was never diagnosed with "migraines" per se but I had daily, excruciating headaches for sure. Light was intolerable, any sound would make me want to vomit. I have been on Gabapentin 100mg 3x per day for 6 weeks now. I started at 100 mg per day and worked up to 300. I won't lie- there WERE side effects (at first). I got extremely car sick, semi-dizzy, and really tired- but all of these side effects have worn completely off with getting used to the medication. The only SE I still have is slight clogginess/occasional ringing in my ears- but other unrelated factors may be involved w/ that."

headacheless (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2016

"I have been taking gabapentin and was initially very skeptical when my M.D. prescribed it. I had already tried so many drugs and was admittedly very pessimistic. I was incredibly surprised after taking it for two months that I had way less pain, pressure, rear eye pain and auras. I had thought it was just coincidental, but when stopping the medication - the headache with all its fury, came creeping back. I have since tried stopping the medication during the day and now just take it at night (300 mgs) and though I have auras once in awhile and stingy eyes, they are super more tolerable compared to my sad life prior. I totally recommend migraine suffers out there, to give this a try. It takes awhile, but stick with it and adjust accordingly!!"

D2thee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 23, 2016

"Horrible, extremely tired, felt so sick, dizzy, itchy. Almost every side effect. Did help some with chronic migraines but unable to continue taking this."

Mel70 November 15, 2016

"Suffering from chronic migraine vertigo or silent migraine so poorly was getting 3/5 attacks per day loss of balance vertigo dizziness spaced out visual disturbances. Saw my opticans several.times.as it felt.like my eyes were strange always feeling off balance.ended in a/e saw my neurologist who confirmed it was migraine vertigo and out me on 300mg at night time.and gradually.increased.this dosage to 1800mg (600 mg 3 times a day felt.dizzy spaces out confused lasted 5 months and neurologist advised me to wean off the drug the gabapentin did help at my well beginning it never went away my gp.has prescribed propropanol not started yet , side effects effect of gabapentin dizzy off bal.pain in head tired do confused memory avoid"

Tracytwin 1973 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2016

"I have had migraines since I was about 12 years old. Tried EVERYTHING, Celexa Topamax, Amitryptaline etc. Side effects of those drugs for me where too heavy, memory loss etc. Sumatriptan is magical at relieving symptoms most of the time! It is not good for you to take everyday, which is alot of my problem. Been out of work for over two months with 20+ migraines a month. Neuro put me on gabapentin 3x a day and has helped dramatically, frequency is down a bit. Going to start botox in a month :) PS: I highly recommend Compazine for nausea, it also helps with the pain!"

Jordan912 November 8, 2016

"My dgt started having migraines @ 12 yrs old about a year after she started her period, she's 17 now. She's been on over 30 different meds, vitamins, herbs & tried massage, chiro, acupressure & acupuncture. Is now being treated by a neuro. She's been on Gabapentin for a few months w/little relief. They gave her, her first Botox injection in August that helped reduce her migraines until she had an adverse reaction to an antibiotic she passed out, hit her head in the shower & has had migraine since mid September w/o relief. The Dr wants to increase the Gabapentin to 300mg. Not sure if it's a good idea bc seems like the Gabapentin didn't help her. Migraines hav prevented my dgt from having a full life hoping the increase helps"

Miki's Mom October 15, 2016

"significant reduction in Migraine frequency"

Significant reduction September 12, 2016

"Got botox and been through all the meds for 8 yrs, finally got the nerve decompression surgery and thought I was well on my way then WHAM hit with a massive migraine with vertigo was horrible lasted for weeks then Dr gave me Neurontin and WHAM it pulled me right out of my migraine!!!!!! so I'm confident now, hoping for great results."

rabird (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2016

"I started taking gabapentin since I had vertigo, nausea, dizziness, headaches and I collapsed twice (I am only 23 years old). The doctors said I have migraines. Gabapentin has really bad side effects. I was on 300mg per day for 9 weeks and it took me a month to get used to them. Pains in the chest, throat and back for weeks. Just horrible. It you can tolerate the side effects I would suggest taking them since they did help. Theg haven't resolved my issues but did help with the situation. Be careful when you stop them though since they got bad withdrawal symptoms."

Antony V (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2016

"I've had migraines for about 6 years. I take Fioricet for pain management, which works well, but I wanted to try preventing migraines altogether instead of treating them with painkillers, so my doctor prescribed Gabapentin. After about 2 or 3 days, I started to notice side-effects of blurred vision, so much that I couldn't read text in my web browser. It wasn't drowsy or light-headed, but more as if my eyes simply couldn't focus at the correct depth. I also noticed I was extremely clumsier, banging my knees, elbows, and shins on everything until I was covered in bruises. After a month of taking it, I saw no change in the frequency nor intensity of my migraines (I keep a pain log to make sure), so I stopped"

Berander (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2015

"My neurologist prescribed me this drug at 600mg at night for my chronic, daily migraines and it is quite literally, a god send. It helms with migraine prevention, anxiety, and even helped with my chronic pelvic pain before my hysterectomy! Taken w/ my 100mg of Topamax, I get maybe one or two migraines a MONTH! I used to have DAILY migraines that required Toradol and Phenergan injections to kill. I will say the only downside was that I gained a pound or two but nothing exercise can't squash. Overall, GREAT drug. Highly recommended if you suffer from chronic migraines!!"

OodlesOPoodles (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2015

"I'm actually a chronic cluster headache patient for over 30 years. Started when I got sober in 82. Cleveland Clinic finally figured out what the problem was. Now for about 10 years I've been on the Gabapentin as part of my medical cocktail. We just had to increase the dosage today from 600 to 900 as the clusters were back on a nightly alarm clock basis. Well, tonight I have been headache free and hoping this increase will do the trick. Has worked before but maybe just time for increase in my dosage. Prayers please. These clusters are no fun. Thanks and good luck to all headache patients."

Dickfromftmyers September 1, 2015

"I began having debilitating migraines when I was 15 years old. Such severe pain and nausea that lasted for many days each week. The migraines continued until I was over 40 years of age. I would have to go to the ER for shots to help with the pain and the nausea. My life was literally miserable, because I would only be pain-free a few days a month. Then, when in my 40's, after having migraines for over 25 years, I was put on Neurontin, not for migraines, but as a mood stabilizer. Miraculously, my migraines stopped completely. I am now 62 years old, and have not had a single migraine since in my 40's. I am on 2400 mg of Neurontin a day. I take two 400mg capsules three times daily. No other drug ever helped with my migraines."

Bhaven July 13, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've had headaches since I was 6 years old. Cluster headaches almost every single day. Migraines once or twice a week. I went to so many doctors, went through so many scans, and tests that I actually learned to read MRI sheets before I was a teenager. Apparently there's nothing physically wrong. So I went to PT, and chiropractors and they only helped a bit. At 14 I was old enough to start taking the harsher pills. Most turned me into a zombie. And I've only stuck with two in the end. I have just started having hand joint pains, and possible carpal tunnel, so I was put on a very high dose of Gabapentin. Two days later, headaches were gone. No rhyme or reason. Poof. It makes zero sense, but it's a miracle drug. 100/10 would refer to anyone"

Raenef June 18, 2015

"I started having migraine headaches when I was 14. The first time I had one, I was sitting in Biology class and could not see the faces of other students around me. I was terrified and had a panic attack. The school nurse thought I was on drugs and called my mother who immediately took me to a doctor. The migraines continued through out my life and caused me difficulty in my employment. I am a solo practitioner lawyer. When I would get one in court, I could not see, speak or think. Obviously, I had migraines with an aura. My family doctor only treated the pain, but finally I went to a psychiatrist and he prescribed Gabapentin and Lexapro. My migraines stopped completely. It has been seven months now and I am migraine free."

dvl June 6, 2015

"I have been having chronic migraines for 5 years now and probably 50 other prescriptions wrote for me and finally gabapentin is like a miracle for me.My migraines were 24/7 with tension in shoulders and neck. Felt little tired and strange first day but great relief now. My doctor and neurologist all but gave up on me and was filling pretty depressed. Thank you gabapentin!!!!!"

shmo May 29, 2015

"I had been taking topomax and Botox injections. They helped initially, the Botox helps within one week, sometimes two. I got injections ev'y 3 mths. Quit working after awhile. Now on gabapentin. Seems to be helping somewhat on higher dose but weight gain is horrible! I do not have increased appetite nor eat more either. Not sure what to do about it. Can't keep increasing weight."

Charleyrules May 9, 2015

"I take 1800 mg for the last three months. I have suffered aquired brain injury from viral encephalitis. One of my main problems is ice pick headaches and ringing in both ears. While I have been taking this medication my neurologist recommend that I also receive Botox injections. Also with no help, next injections take place in two weeks. I was informed that the first time of injections do not expect to much."

Oromocto April 13, 2015

"My Neuro put me on Gabapentin 300m every night, and I went from chronic migraines 3-5 a mth, to only 1-2 a month. If I take my Sumatriptan as soon as I feel a migraine coming on (along with ice bag rotating on my head) it goes away within an hour or two. Miracle medications! They have saved my life!"

DallasGrl77 February 6, 2015

"I have been taking this for 2 months now. The first month I still had several horrible headaches. This second month I have yet to have one. Which is fantastic for me. I am having a slight problem keeping my emotions down. I seem to be very sad and lack energy. I am hoping that this will level out with time, because it works fantastic on my headaches."

tDanielleb January 15, 2015

"Suffered from headaches for 4 months as I tried Topamax which did not work, and with horrible side effects. Been on Neurontin for 10 days, 300 Mgs 3xday. Headaches are virtually GONE. Kidneys functioning better now that I'm off of Topamax. Increased appetite and slightly blurry vision are manageable side effects. My life is back. So far, the headache suffering is OVER. 4 months of hellish headaches ended in one week."

Cavs Fan (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2015

"I was taking Topamax 200 mg every day for my monthly migraines and it was working well until I went to my eye doctor and he checked the pressure in my eyes. I had a high pressure in my left eye so my doctor put me on gabapentin. I take 200 mg every day and its been great. Even when I do get a migraine its very muted and very tolerable. Great medicine!"

Anonymous January 2, 2015

"I started having headaches, pressure, and a hangover like feeling in the mornings about a year ago. In early December 2014 I was diagnosed with migraines which were causing my issues. My neurologist put me on 300mg of gabapentin and I felt great from 12/5-12/20. I started getting the morning hangover feeling again on 12/21. My neurologist is now upping the dosage, hope it gets me back to that point/place."

ToddL (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2014

"I broke my arm and severely messed my back up in a car accident. I have had sciatic pain for 2 year. With Percocet, gabapentin and Zanaflex I am able to function correctly."

tjl70 October 20, 2014