User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 126 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Migraine

"Been suffering with daily migraines for so long I can't remember when they started - decades. I've tried everything in terms of meds and preventatives. This has been the best preventative so far. It has reduced my migraines by about 90% in terms of frequency - hope it lasts - I'm on 300 mg three times daily"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I haven't been taking this medication for long but it's helped so much. Neuro started me off on 300mg at night and now I'm at 600mg at night. It doesn't make me sleepy or drowsy. Before starting gabapentin, I was having migraines just about every day. I started having aphasia and vision changes with my migraines, so I decided to take action. I've only been on it for almost 2 weeks but I've been migraine free and my triggers are no longer triggers at this point, which is fantastic. I should note it has reduced my appetite but this is not a negative thing."

Crystaldreams July 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication is..interesting. I am 20 with what a few doctors think is Fibro and a chronic pain condition but was Rx'd this med by a psych doctor for tension migraines. While it does NOT really help with migraines, it has been making me awfully sleepy and drowsy, and helping with weird aches and pains throughout my body. It can be used as a mood stabilizer and I can see why- because it makes you so drowsy you can't do or say anything, especially after taking the evening dose! I've been afraid to drive any car since starting this. It makes me more drowsy than my anxiety meds which don't make me drowsy at all! Doctor is raising the dose because since writing that first part- I have become quite used to the med, where my dose does NOT work"

Chelseabergstresser (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have chronic Migraine called Glutamate Storm. First dose of 100mgs made me sleep 36 hours. Before I got the prescription I never slept more than 5 hours per night and often only got 2 hours of sleep per night. But I did not want to take a prescription every day, so I only took it when my ears were ringing really loud and I was sleep deprived. But then I noticed that my chronic cough was always gone the day after taking Gabapentin. So I started taking it every day for that. When I did, my headache and ear ringing got a lot better. I am now taking 400 mgs per day. I had bad breath at first, but it's gone. Dr. says it might have detoxed something. I am all for that. Better out than in. This drug has helped me a lot. And I am not pro-pharma."

Gylm April 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had to start with 50 mgs per day. It made me sleep 36 hours when I tried taking 100 mgs. Also gave me bad breath and I could barely talk. Seemed to detox something in my throat. When the bad breath stopped I upped it to 100 mgs. More detox. Now I take 100 mgs four times per day. Doesn't make me sleepy, and the headache symptoms are much better. I am a person who avoids prescription drugs as much as possible and rarely go to the doctor. Gabapentin is the only drug I am taking. I am 61. It is really helping me with the debilitating migraine headache. Just be careful and don't take too much, or you will have to go to bed. And take it regularly. I think it's a good drug. Gave me weird dreams at first but I think that was a detox effect too."

Glaxy (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worked for migrane I had been prescribed lots of different drugs I have had Botox, had my ear pierced I have been to the chiropractor, eye doctor two different neurologist I had been having migraines almost everyday finally with this medication I haven't had a migraine in a week"

Krzpe (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Neurontin for a year to help prevent migraines. My longest time without a migraine has been 6 weeks. I still have migraines with brain zaps and minimal head pain. Additional symptoms include nausea, vertigo, eye jerking, loss of coordination, trouble concentrating, and moodiness. The neurontin does help. I am also taking L-Theanine, melatonin, vitamin B, and Flax seed oil (allergic to fish)."

framy13 February 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had migraines for over 15 years now. I have tried everything out there from Imitrex to Morphine for reduction of pain, from Propranolol to Nortriptyline for prophylactics and nothing worked. My doctor was running out of options and suggested Gabapentin and what a difference. Now because it makes me tired, I only take at night before I go to bed, so I do not have ANY side effects that other people do. I take a dose of 300 mg at bedtime and so far it has been a life saver. I have not had any headaches for over a month since starting the Gabapentin. I had such bad migraines, they would last up to 4 days straight without any relief. Needless to say, I am quite happy with the medication."

NikkiRN (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I actually started taking Gabapentin as a mood stabilizer. This morning I woke up and thought to myself "man I haven't had a headache in forever." I was never diagnosed with "migraines" per se but I had daily, excruciating headaches for sure. Light was intolerable, any sound would make me want to vomit. I have been on Gabapentin 100mg 3x per day for 6 weeks now. I started at 100 mg per day and worked up to 300. I won't lie- there WERE side effects (at first). I got extremely car sick, semi-dizzy, and really tired- but all of these side effects have worn completely off with getting used to the medication. The only SE I still have is slight clogginess/occasional ringing in my ears- but other unrelated factors may be involved w/ that."

headacheless (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking gabapentin and was initially very skeptical when my M.D. prescribed it. I had already tried so many drugs and was admittedly very pessimistic. I was incredibly surprised after taking it for two months that I had way less pain, pressure, rear eye pain and auras. I had thought it was just coincidental, but when stopping the medication - the headache with all its fury, came creeping back. I have since tried stopping the medication during the day and now just take it at night (300 mgs) and though I have auras once in awhile and stingy eyes, they are super more tolerable compared to my sad life prior. I totally recommend migraine suffers out there, to give this a try. It takes awhile, but stick with it and adjust accordingly!!"

D2thee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Horrible, extremely tired, felt so sick, dizzy, itchy. Almost every side effect. Did help some with chronic migraines but unable to continue taking this."

Mel70 November 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Suffering from chronic migraine vertigo or silent migraine so poorly was getting 3/5 attacks per day loss of balance vertigo dizziness spaced out visual disturbances. Saw my opticans several.times.as it felt.like my eyes were strange always feeling off balance.ended in a/e saw my neurologist who confirmed it was migraine vertigo and out me on 300mg at night time.and gradually.increased.this dosage to 1800mg (600 mg 3 times a day felt.dizzy spaces out confused lasted 5 months and neurologist advised me to wean off the drug the gabapentin did help at my well beginning it never went away my gp.has prescribed propropanol not started yet , side effects effect of gabapentin dizzy off bal.pain in head tired do confused memory avoid"

Tracytwin 1973 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had migraines since I was about 12 years old. Tried EVERYTHING, Celexa Topamax, Amitryptaline etc. Side effects of those drugs for me where too heavy, memory loss etc. Sumatriptan is magical at relieving symptoms most of the time! It is not good for you to take everyday, which is alot of my problem. Been out of work for over two months with 20+ migraines a month. Neuro put me on gabapentin 3x a day and has helped dramatically, frequency is down a bit. Going to start botox in a month :) PS: I highly recommend Compazine for nausea, it also helps with the pain!"

Jordan912 November 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My dgt started having migraines @ 12 yrs old about a year after she started her period, she's 17 now. She's been on over 30 different meds, vitamins, herbs & tried massage, chiro, acupressure & acupuncture. Is now being treated by a neuro. She's been on Gabapentin for a few months w/little relief. They gave her, her first Botox injection in August that helped reduce her migraines until she had an adverse reaction to an antibiotic she passed out, hit her head in the shower & has had migraine since mid September w/o relief. The Dr wants to increase the Gabapentin to 300mg. Not sure if it's a good idea bc seems like the Gabapentin didn't help her. Migraines hav prevented my dgt from having a full life hoping the increase helps"

Miki's Mom October 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"significant reduction in Migraine frequency"

Significant reduction September 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Got botox and been through all the meds for 8 yrs, finally got the nerve decompression surgery and thought I was well on my way then WHAM hit with a massive migraine with vertigo was horrible lasted for weeks then Dr gave me Neurontin and WHAM it pulled me right out of my migraine!!!!!! so I'm confident now, hoping for great results."

rabird (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking gabapentin since I had vertigo, nausea, dizziness, headaches and I collapsed twice (I am only 23 years old). The doctors said I have migraines. Gabapentin has really bad side effects. I was on 300mg per day for 9 weeks and it took me a month to get used to them. Pains in the chest, throat and back for weeks. Just horrible. It you can tolerate the side effects I would suggest taking them since they did help. Theg haven't resolved my issues but did help with the situation. Be careful when you stop them though since they got bad withdrawal symptoms."

Antony V (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had migraines for about 6 years. I take Fioricet for pain management, which works well, but I wanted to try preventing migraines altogether instead of treating them with painkillers, so my doctor prescribed Gabapentin. After about 2 or 3 days, I started to notice side-effects of blurred vision, so much that I couldn't read text in my web browser. It wasn't drowsy or light-headed, but more as if my eyes simply couldn't focus at the correct depth. I also noticed I was extremely clumsier, banging my knees, elbows, and shins on everything until I was covered in bruises. After a month of taking it, I saw no change in the frequency nor intensity of my migraines (I keep a pain log to make sure), so I stopped"

Berander (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My neurologist prescribed me this drug at 600mg at night for my chronic, daily migraines and it is quite literally, a god send. It helms with migraine prevention, anxiety, and even helped with my chronic pelvic pain before my hysterectomy! Taken w/ my 100mg of Topamax, I get maybe one or two migraines a MONTH! I used to have DAILY migraines that required Toradol and Phenergan injections to kill. I will say the only downside was that I gained a pound or two but nothing exercise can't squash. Overall, GREAT drug. Highly recommended if you suffer from chronic migraines!!"

OodlesOPoodles (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm actually a chronic cluster headache patient for over 30 years. Started when I got sober in 82. Cleveland Clinic finally figured out what the problem was. Now for about 10 years I've been on the Gabapentin as part of my medical cocktail. We just had to increase the dosage today from 600 to 900 as the clusters were back on a nightly alarm clock basis. Well, tonight I have been headache free and hoping this increase will do the trick. Has worked before but maybe just time for increase in my dosage. Prayers please. These clusters are no fun. Thanks and good luck to all headache patients."

Dickfromftmyers September 1, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began having debilitating migraines when I was 15 years old. Such severe pain and nausea that lasted for many days each week. The migraines continued until I was over 40 years of age. I would have to go to the ER for shots to help with the pain and the nausea. My life was literally miserable, because I would only be pain-free a few days a month. Then, when in my 40's, after having migraines for over 25 years, I was put on Neurontin, not for migraines, but as a mood stabilizer. Miraculously, my migraines stopped completely. I am now 62 years old, and have not had a single migraine since in my 40's. I am on 2400 mg of Neurontin a day. I take two 400mg capsules three times daily. No other drug ever helped with my migraines."

Bhaven July 13, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had headaches since I was 6 years old. Cluster headaches almost every single day. Migraines once or twice a week. I went to so many doctors, went through so many scans, and tests that I actually learned to read MRI sheets before I was a teenager. Apparently there's nothing physically wrong. So I went to PT, and chiropractors and they only helped a bit. At 14 I was old enough to start taking the harsher pills. Most turned me into a zombie. And I've only stuck with two in the end. I have just started having hand joint pains, and possible carpal tunnel, so I was put on a very high dose of Gabapentin. Two days later, headaches were gone. No rhyme or reason. Poof. It makes zero sense, but it's a miracle drug. 100/10 would refer to anyone"

Raenef June 18, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started having migraine headaches when I was 14. The first time I had one, I was sitting in Biology class and could not see the faces of other students around me. I was terrified and had a panic attack. The school nurse thought I was on drugs and called my mother who immediately took me to a doctor. The migraines continued through out my life and caused me difficulty in my employment. I am a solo practitioner lawyer. When I would get one in court, I could not see, speak or think. Obviously, I had migraines with an aura. My family doctor only treated the pain, but finally I went to a psychiatrist and he prescribed Gabapentin and Lexapro. My migraines stopped completely. It has been seven months now and I am migraine free."

dvl June 6, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been having chronic migraines for 5 years now and probably 50 other prescriptions wrote for me and finally gabapentin is like a miracle for me.My migraines were 24/7 with tension in shoulders and neck. Felt little tired and strange first day but great relief now. My doctor and neurologist all but gave up on me and was filling pretty depressed. Thank you gabapentin!!!!!"

shmo May 29, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been taking topomax and Botox injections. They helped initially, the Botox helps within one week, sometimes two. I got injections ev'y 3 mths. Quit working after awhile. Now on gabapentin. Seems to be helping somewhat on higher dose but weight gain is horrible! I do not have increased appetite nor eat more either. Not sure what to do about it. Can't keep increasing weight."

Charleyrules May 9, 2015