User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 126 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Migraine

"Really pessimistic about starting these for episodic cluster headache, but tried in desperation. Ignored the “build up slowly from 300mg” advice and took 3x300mg straight away - spacing them out about an hour at a time over an evening. Effects were significant, but not unpleasant (a bit spacey and very relaxed). Had all the sensations of a headache that night, but without the pain. Since then, taking 300mg around 3 times per day and headaches completely under control. Again, still have sensations of headache, but the pain is down to a 1-2 from 8+. Sleeping like a baby, a little spacey in the morning the first couple of days, but pretty much no noticeable side effects now (other than I’ve been in a really good mood!) All-in-all - very impressed and would highly recommend for cluster headache / migraine."

S.Christopher (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2018

"I have Fibromyalgia plus all the side symptoms that come with it. The 1st dose I took was 300mg during a flare up and I noticed a difference in widespread pain and sensitivity and anxiety. It took an hour to feel any relief. Its not a pain pill. I am SO glad I made sure I had no driving to do that day. Scary but kind of nice for me when a migraine flare comes and you can't sleep. First time in YEARS I didn't get any sort of headache. In disbelief I only took it as needed for bad headache days or flares 300-600mg as needed once a day and its not a coincidence! Despite the side effects the first few times taking it it is the best decision I made! The side effects weren't that bad, first dose was a bit harsh after that it was manageable and went away. 2 pills was way too much so I take 1 at a time. Rarely take any pain meds it works that well. Highly recommend this to those who skeptics like I was. None of the ugly effects after taking for a while have surfaced either and I hope they don't."

ShuggaShoo1980 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2018

"In the last 5 years my migraines got really bad. Weeks would go by that I would have a headache almost every day. After trying a few other preventatives that either didn't work well or had too many side effects I asked to try gabapentin. At 1800mg a day it has significantly reduced the frequency and intensity of my migraines. Gabapentin has been a life changer."

sssteviep (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2017

"I have been having migraines and daily headaches for 10 yrs...am currently on 3200mg of gabapentin daily. 800mg four times a day. Got my migraines down to once a month but hasn't helped much with the daily headaches. I take tylenol which never used to work and now it seems to work better for them. I tried topamax which was a horror! I wouldn't recommend that drug to anyone they should take it off the market was like I was being poisoned. I also take keppra 3000mg daily. The gabapentin doesn't make me sleepy at all. So all in all effective for the migraines,,,Its better than getting them all month long!"

Aarania (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 15, 2017

"Note: I rarely suffer side effects from medication accept for drowsiness when taking multiple doses of opiate based painkillers such as co-codamol in a single day. I started taking Gabapentin for bad nerve pain in my shoulder. After 4 days I was experiencing more side effects than benefits, migraines were just one problem I also experienced: - Jerky twitches in my arms and legs; - Inability to form full sentences at first attempt (600mg or more in a single day); - Depression (have had and overcome before); - Suicidal thoughts; It was the last 2 that did it for me, although the migraines were painful and the jerky twitches and speech issues annoying, seeing signs of previous mental health problems creeping in was enough for me to stop."

obviou5 (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2017

"Been suffering with daily migraines for so long I can't remember when they started - decades. I've tried everything in terms of meds and preventatives. This has been the best preventative so far. It has reduced my migraines by about 90% in terms of frequency - hope it lasts - I'm on 300 mg three times daily"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2017

"I haven't been taking this medication for long but it's helped so much. Neuro started me off on 300mg at night and now I'm at 600mg at night. It doesn't make me sleepy or drowsy. Before starting gabapentin, I was having migraines just about every day. I started having aphasia and vision changes with my migraines, so I decided to take action. I've only been on it for almost 2 weeks but I've been migraine free and my triggers are no longer triggers at this point, which is fantastic. I should note it has reduced my appetite but this is not a negative thing."

Crystaldreams July 25, 2017

"This medication is..interesting. I am 20 with what a few doctors think is Fibro and a chronic pain condition but was Rx'd this med by a psych doctor for tension migraines. While it does NOT really help with migraines, it has been making me awfully sleepy and drowsy, and helping with weird aches and pains throughout my body. It can be used as a mood stabilizer and I can see why- because it makes you so drowsy you can't do or say anything, especially after taking the evening dose! I've been afraid to drive any car since starting this. It makes me more drowsy than my anxiety meds which don't make me drowsy at all! Doctor is raising the dose because since writing that first part- I have become quite used to the med, where my dose does NOT work"

Chelseabergstresser (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

"I have chronic Migraine called Glutamate Storm. First dose of 100mgs made me sleep 36 hours. Before I got the prescription I never slept more than 5 hours per night and often only got 2 hours of sleep per night. But I did not want to take a prescription every day, so I only took it when my ears were ringing really loud and I was sleep deprived. But then I noticed that my chronic cough was always gone the day after taking Gabapentin. So I started taking it every day for that. When I did, my headache and ear ringing got a lot better. I am now taking 400 mgs per day. I had bad breath at first, but it's gone. Dr. says it might have detoxed something. I am all for that. Better out than in. This drug has helped me a lot. And I am not pro-pharma."

Gylm April 26, 2017

"Had to start with 50 mgs per day. It made me sleep 36 hours when I tried taking 100 mgs. Also gave me bad breath and I could barely talk. Seemed to detox something in my throat. When the bad breath stopped I upped it to 100 mgs. More detox. Now I take 100 mgs four times per day. Doesn't make me sleepy, and the headache symptoms are much better. I am a person who avoids prescription drugs as much as possible and rarely go to the doctor. Gabapentin is the only drug I am taking. I am 61. It is really helping me with the debilitating migraine headache. Just be careful and don't take too much, or you will have to go to bed. And take it regularly. I think it's a good drug. Gave me weird dreams at first but I think that was a detox effect too."

Glaxy (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2017

"Worked for migrane I had been prescribed lots of different drugs I have had Botox, had my ear pierced I have been to the chiropractor, eye doctor two different neurologist I had been having migraines almost everyday finally with this medication I haven't had a migraine in a week"

Krzpe (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2017

"I have been taking Neurontin for a year to help prevent migraines. My longest time without a migraine has been 6 weeks. I still have migraines with brain zaps and minimal head pain. Additional symptoms include nausea, vertigo, eye jerking, loss of coordination, trouble concentrating, and moodiness. The neurontin does help. I am also taking L-Theanine, melatonin, vitamin B, and Flax seed oil (allergic to fish)."

framy13 February 6, 2017

"I have had migraines for over 15 years now. I have tried everything out there from Imitrex to Morphine for reduction of pain, from Propranolol to Nortriptyline for prophylactics and nothing worked. My doctor was running out of options and suggested Gabapentin and what a difference. Now because it makes me tired, I only take at night before I go to bed, so I do not have ANY side effects that other people do. I take a dose of 300 mg at bedtime and so far it has been a life saver. I have not had any headaches for over a month since starting the Gabapentin. I had such bad migraines, they would last up to 4 days straight without any relief. Needless to say, I am quite happy with the medication."

NikkiRN (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2016

"I actually started taking Gabapentin as a mood stabilizer. This morning I woke up and thought to myself "man I haven't had a headache in forever." I was never diagnosed with "migraines" per se but I had daily, excruciating headaches for sure. Light was intolerable, any sound would make me want to vomit. I have been on Gabapentin 100mg 3x per day for 6 weeks now. I started at 100 mg per day and worked up to 300. I won't lie- there WERE side effects (at first). I got extremely car sick, semi-dizzy, and really tired- but all of these side effects have worn completely off with getting used to the medication. The only SE I still have is slight clogginess/occasional ringing in my ears- but other unrelated factors may be involved w/ that."

headacheless (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2016

"I have been taking gabapentin and was initially very skeptical when my M.D. prescribed it. I had already tried so many drugs and was admittedly very pessimistic. I was incredibly surprised after taking it for two months that I had way less pain, pressure, rear eye pain and auras. I had thought it was just coincidental, but when stopping the medication - the headache with all its fury, came creeping back. I have since tried stopping the medication during the day and now just take it at night (300 mgs) and though I have auras once in awhile and stingy eyes, they are super more tolerable compared to my sad life prior. I totally recommend migraine suffers out there, to give this a try. It takes awhile, but stick with it and adjust accordingly!!"

D2thee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 23, 2016

"Horrible, extremely tired, felt so sick, dizzy, itchy. Almost every side effect. Did help some with chronic migraines but unable to continue taking this."

Mel70 November 15, 2016

"Suffering from chronic migraine vertigo or silent migraine so poorly was getting 3/5 attacks per day loss of balance vertigo dizziness spaced out visual disturbances. Saw my opticans several.times.as it felt.like my eyes were strange always feeling off balance.ended in a/e saw my neurologist who confirmed it was migraine vertigo and out me on 300mg at night time.and gradually.increased.this dosage to 1800mg (600 mg 3 times a day felt.dizzy spaces out confused lasted 5 months and neurologist advised me to wean off the drug the gabapentin did help at my well beginning it never went away my gp.has prescribed propropanol not started yet , side effects effect of gabapentin dizzy off bal.pain in head tired do confused memory avoid"

Tracytwin 1973 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2016

"I have had migraines since I was about 12 years old. Tried EVERYTHING, Celexa Topamax, Amitryptaline etc. Side effects of those drugs for me where too heavy, memory loss etc. Sumatriptan is magical at relieving symptoms most of the time! It is not good for you to take everyday, which is alot of my problem. Been out of work for over two months with 20+ migraines a month. Neuro put me on gabapentin 3x a day and has helped dramatically, frequency is down a bit. Going to start botox in a month :) PS: I highly recommend Compazine for nausea, it also helps with the pain!"

Jordan912 November 8, 2016

"My dgt started having migraines @ 12 yrs old about a year after she started her period, she's 17 now. She's been on over 30 different meds, vitamins, herbs & tried massage, chiro, acupressure & acupuncture. Is now being treated by a neuro. She's been on Gabapentin for a few months w/little relief. They gave her, her first Botox injection in August that helped reduce her migraines until she had an adverse reaction to an antibiotic she passed out, hit her head in the shower & has had migraine since mid September w/o relief. The Dr wants to increase the Gabapentin to 300mg. Not sure if it's a good idea bc seems like the Gabapentin didn't help her. Migraines hav prevented my dgt from having a full life hoping the increase helps"

Miki's Mom October 15, 2016

"significant reduction in Migraine frequency"

Significant reduction September 12, 2016

"Got botox and been through all the meds for 8 yrs, finally got the nerve decompression surgery and thought I was well on my way then WHAM hit with a massive migraine with vertigo was horrible lasted for weeks then Dr gave me Neurontin and WHAM it pulled me right out of my migraine!!!!!! so I'm confident now, hoping for great results."

rabird (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2016

"I started taking gabapentin since I had vertigo, nausea, dizziness, headaches and I collapsed twice (I am only 23 years old). The doctors said I have migraines. Gabapentin has really bad side effects. I was on 300mg per day for 9 weeks and it took me a month to get used to them. Pains in the chest, throat and back for weeks. Just horrible. It you can tolerate the side effects I would suggest taking them since they did help. Theg haven't resolved my issues but did help with the situation. Be careful when you stop them though since they got bad withdrawal symptoms."

Antony V (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2016

"I've had migraines for about 6 years. I take Fioricet for pain management, which works well, but I wanted to try preventing migraines altogether instead of treating them with painkillers, so my doctor prescribed Gabapentin. After about 2 or 3 days, I started to notice side-effects of blurred vision, so much that I couldn't read text in my web browser. It wasn't drowsy or light-headed, but more as if my eyes simply couldn't focus at the correct depth. I also noticed I was extremely clumsier, banging my knees, elbows, and shins on everything until I was covered in bruises. After a month of taking it, I saw no change in the frequency nor intensity of my migraines (I keep a pain log to make sure), so I stopped"

Berander (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2015

"My neurologist prescribed me this drug at 600mg at night for my chronic, daily migraines and it is quite literally, a god send. It helms with migraine prevention, anxiety, and even helped with my chronic pelvic pain before my hysterectomy! Taken w/ my 100mg of Topamax, I get maybe one or two migraines a MONTH! I used to have DAILY migraines that required Toradol and Phenergan injections to kill. I will say the only downside was that I gained a pound or two but nothing exercise can't squash. Overall, GREAT drug. Highly recommended if you suffer from chronic migraines!!"

OodlesOPoodles (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2015

"I'm actually a chronic cluster headache patient for over 30 years. Started when I got sober in 82. Cleveland Clinic finally figured out what the problem was. Now for about 10 years I've been on the Gabapentin as part of my medical cocktail. We just had to increase the dosage today from 600 to 900 as the clusters were back on a nightly alarm clock basis. Well, tonight I have been headache free and hoping this increase will do the trick. Has worked before but maybe just time for increase in my dosage. Prayers please. These clusters are no fun. Thanks and good luck to all headache patients."

Dickfromftmyers September 1, 2015