User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Bipolar Disorder

"A lot of people seem to really like neurontin for bipolar disorder. My experience unfortunately was not that great. I took it as an add-on to lamictal after I had a couple manic outbursts from taking lamictal alone. Gabapentin initially helped with anxiety symptoms (mental + physical) and really helped calm me down, help me sleep, etc. However, it dragged me back down to severe depression. I couldn't feel good about anything on it. Even when my doctor and I experimented with different dosages for lamictal and gabapentin, I couldn't find a good balance. Mostly I just experienced depression. I'm being taken off gabapentin soon. I really wanted this medication to work, but the benefits did not make up for the negatives."

elf_1984 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 3, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took this drug for 6 months. It did nothing for my mood, but it added inches to my waistline. Worse, it made me scatterbrained as hell, kinda in a sneaky way as I slowly titrated, so that I didn't realize how bad it had affected my brain till I was off it, & suddenly I wasn't a super ditz anymore."

Gone Bananas (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 22, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This makes me feel hyper and relaxed at the same time, its great! I take 900× 3 times a day. Love it so far. But I've only been taking it for about 4 weeks now. We'll see... "

Mufflan (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have Multiple Sclerosis and have suffered from atrocious nerve pain in my back and legs that severely impaired my functioning and quality of life. My neurologist prescribed Gabapentin for the pain. I was skeptical that anything could help. I am on 400 mg a day right now, taken in 100mg 4x a day. I have been on it for about 2 weeks. I am already experiencing days of almost NO pain. A GODSEND. Interestingly, I am also rapid cycling Bipolar, for which I have been on Abilify. Though the Abilify has helped maintain my judgment, it has done nothing for my manic agitation and depression. I had NO IDEA this was also used as a mood stabilizer or I would have tried it sooner. In just 2 weeks, I feel even keeled and an inner serenity. Love this med!"

Anonymous March 11, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been treated with a combination of Depakote, Effexor and Wellbutrin before and I just felt crazier than I did before and gained about 45 pounds. So I got off meds altogether for about 15 years. Needless to say, as much as I wanted to live an unmedicated life, my rapid and severe mood swings were really making things difficult for me. After two failed relationships I decided I'd go to the doctor and give it another shot. I feel like a brand new man! I'm just beginning my second month. Month one I was on 200mg taken three times a day and I just was so calm and collected and took my time to react to things instead of flying off the handle. Now I'm on 300mg 3 times a day and this might just be perfect for me. Highly recommended"

Greedy hands March 1, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication has changed my life. I also take Effexor. Diagnosed with bipolar. I feel calm, capable, confident, energetic, stable & happy. I was in a terrible state before I started it, severely depressed, anxiety, anger and I was even hospitalized for my behavior and suicidal thoughts. My only concern is what I've read about withdrawals but it is worth to me to have my life back."

JasNeeka (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 28, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication is a godsend. Squashes my anxiety, racing thoughts, and depression! I also take a low dose of Seroquel XR and Prozac, which seems to be helping me tremendously."

Reese92 February 25, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I struggled all my life with major depression and hypomania. Have had diagnosis every where from ADD,Major Depressive Disorder, General Anxiety Disorder, and PTSD (cancer survivor). FINALLY a highly experienced state pyschiatrist properly identified me as non specific bi polar with rapid cycling. Over a ten year prior period, I had tried, zoloft, lexipro, zyprexa, ritalin, all the benzos, several antipyscotics, and many illegal substances to no avail. When I finally met the doctor that diagnosed my bipolar he prescribed gabapentin as a mood stabilizer as well as a sleeping med (ambien) and zoloft (the only anti depressent that ever worked). I have been on this regiment for almost 3 years now and I fully believe it has saved my life!"

Drdoom389 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 7, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Man I hate big pharma. I have also worked in the field of psychiatry as a pych tech for 20 years . I was diagnosed with Bipolar I at 43 I am now 53. I have tried so many rubbish meds, valium , amphetamines, methamphetamines ( legal desoxsyn) all kinds of mood stabilizers all of these med were horrible. I go tired of pills . I quit taking all my meds except and antidepressant. I have a bad back sciatic nerve issue that flared back up due to compressed disk. It is very very panful. I started taking this medication. After 4 days I noticed that I was calmer, less anxious. more focused less racing thoughts, more confidence for sure, talking to peeps feeling good about making jokes etc.much less depressed!!!"

DougPickrel (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Amazing for my depression"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 7, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm dealing with severe back pain. The pain clinic doctor has prescribed a medication that is used to treat bipolar disorder, herpes and shingles?"

gimmaname January 6, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had chronic cluster headaches for years-and generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks and was diagnosed about a yr and a half ago w Bipolar 2 Neurontin was given to me for nerve pain which it didnt help. But- for anxiety, panic, living with a feeling of constant uneasiness and dread... it is LIFE-CHANGING for me. I no longer have to live that horror. It honestly was a horror. So this is what living feels like!!!!!! I am unable to express my gratitude to the Dr that prescribed this to me. Absolutely LIFE-CHANGING If you suffer from any of the forementioned conditions- its worth trying. It works within 25mins of taking it. Theres no prolonged waiting period. I take 800mg 3x day."

Stargazer416 September 19, 2016

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been using this medication for quite some time. 300mg 3 times a day. It almost completely erases irratability without hindering my ability to think clearly. In fact it helps my concentration considerably. I am able to focus on the task at hand without freaking out about why things arent working right."

Buddha1313 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2016

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Gabapentin (Neurontin) made me sleepy, helped only a tad bit eith my anxiety, and did nothing to help with my mood swings. I might as well have taken a sugar pill as a mood stabilizer. When I stopped gabapentin, I threw up/was nauseous, dizzy, had chills, could not sleep,vand my whole body was in pain for WEEKS- And I even tappered off it, not cold turkey. Dtay away from this evil stuff."

Joeyyy924 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 29, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Without going into excessive detail, I've been on Lamictal for about 5 years. Tried anti-psychotics (almost all) but could not handle the weight gain from them. Recently I realized that as great as Lamictal is, I needed to add an anti-psychotic and just deal with weight gain. But my psychiatrist suggested I try Gabapentin before anything else. I'm only on 600 mg a day (been on it for 4 days), and I know my body is still adjusting to it, so this might be a hasty review... but it's given me a calming feel, helped a little with racing thoughts, but I feel "high," at times like I'd drank a lot of codeine. It definitely makes you loopy, but I'm just gonna see how it goes. Just give it a try if you're Bipolar I and don't want the anti-psychotics."

JJ9069 July 22, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have bpd, and it was a really rough start. My Dr had me on 27 different prescriptions in one year, and I was a total train wreck. Switched Dr's, and that one gave me a very high dose of benzos, and it almost killed me. Spent time in the icu for that one. Finally got the most amazing Dr now and he started me on gabapentin. It honestly saved my life.It is so hard to survive this illness when you cant get in under control. I had forgetten what it was like to be myself. I was angry and pissed off at everyone. It was so very hard on my husband and four little boys. I started with 300mg three times a day. The difference was amazing. I could smile and laugh. Thank you gabapentin for bringing me back!"

Flight154 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2016

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine works so well for my bipolar disorder! I've tried so many other medications to no avail. Finally, a doctor put me on this (300mg x 3 times daily) & now I'm up to 600mg three times daily (1800mg daily). It works wonders! I have virtually no anxiety (I used to wake up & could literally feel the anxiety set in before this medicine) & helps with pain as well. My doc put me on Buproprion 100mg twice a day also. In conjunction these seem to really work for me. All in all, I highly recommend Gabapentin!"

ChericeCormier July 11, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've only been taking this medication for under a week, 300mg x 3 times/day. Pdoc Rx'd it for my BP1, and as an adjuct treatment for insomnia and anxiety. My first few doses I felt pleasantly drugged and mellow. It had a moderate cannaboid effect and even gave me the munchies and had me babbling. It has lessened quickly. This med must be working on the brains gaba receptors indeed for I've had a general sense of wellbeing and calmness. Side effects: increased appetite, some minor drowsiness/loopiness, some dipsomania, and strangely...a frequent need to "stretch out" my muscles. I'm going to continue this medication, and even ask about a higher dose. More time on it will reveal how well this treats my conditions."

InAtlanta (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2016

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started the once daily Gabapentin last week and am now on 1200 mg/day. I was taking it for back pain and later realized it is also used for bipolar and anxiety problems, which I also suffer from. I don't feel much of a difference mentally, but I feel drugged during the day. It feels like I took a sleeping pill and am walking around doing my work trying to keep my eyes open. I am not sure whether this is connected to the drug or it just happened for another reason. In fact, this drugged feeling happened to me twice before I took the drug, but now it happens everyday. Not sure what's going on."

Rubanda May 30, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have bipolar disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. I was prescribed gabapentin for my anxiety after my doctor realized that I had an addiction to atavan. No amount of atavan could help my anxiety. I wasn't sleeping, could barely function and was calling into work sick very often. The first night I took gabapentin I finally slept through the night and I made it through an entire week of work without calling in sick. My anxiety hasn't completely vanished but gabapentin has been such a life saver. I'm currently on 200mg three times a day (sometimes I take an extra 100mg if it's a bad day). I highly recommend it"

Alyssamadeleine May 13, 2016

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have bipolar skizzoaffective disorder and have been struggling with depression and not wanting to live for 2 years from a divorce. An anti depressant was finally given to me and life became okay again. But I was still having casual suicidal thoughts 2 to 3 times a week. When 300mg of Gabapentin a day was added the suicidal thoughts stopped. I can't even entertain that kind of thinking if I try. I finally feel normal!!!!"

trudyj1s (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking gabapentin for 12 years. I used to have feelings of major irritation and maybe a little paranoia. An example of something that used to happen before i took these was i would be at work, flipping out thinking my mom and my boyfriend(at that time he was painting my parents house) were messing around. Which would NEVER EVER happen. Not only was our son there but so was my father lol. They also kind of disliked him. Point is when I started the gabapentin I laughed at the thought so hard cause it was so ridiculous, I still laugh at the foolishness of it. So i take them every 5 hours and if I had forgotten them my mom or my friend would notice because I would be sooooo irritable. They would be scared to remind me."

danc5150 (taken for 10 years or more) March 22, 2016

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started this medication about a week ago. I am diagnosed with Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar Type) as well as unspecified anxiety disorder. I was constantly dreading things and felt guilty for no reason. My anxiety bothered me to the point it made me vomit. I started on 300mg 2x a day and it has been amazing. It does not cure it but it takes away a lot of anxiety for me. I would definitely recommend this med."

TyARev3643 (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2016

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on gabapentin 600mg three times a day for a while for my fibromyalgia and it works get for that. My psychiatrist just increased it to 800mg three times a day for my bipolar depression and anxiety and it is really helping with that too. I noticed the first day on 800mg that I felt calmer and happier. I am happy"

sugarmoney28 February 13, 2016

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Bipolar disorder successfully treated with gabapentin for 4 years -900mg daily.Then in Dec 2015, I had general anesthetic for broken leg operation. Then 6 weeks later, fell into deep depression with uncontrollable crying. Convinced this is result of anesthetic. Can anything reverse this state?"

shosholoza (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 13, 2016