User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I have had chronic cluster headaches for years-and generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks and was diagnosed about a yr and a half ago w Bipolar 2 Neurontin was given to me for nerve pain which it didnt help. But- for anxiety, panic, living with a feeling of constant uneasiness and dread... it is LIFE-CHANGING for me. I no longer have to live that horror. It honestly was a horror. So this is what living feels like!!!!!! I am unable to express my gratitude to the Dr that prescribed this to me. Absolutely LIFE-CHANGING If you suffer from any of the forementioned conditions- its worth trying. It works within 25mins of taking it. Theres no prolonged waiting period. I take 800mg 3x day."

Stargazer416 September 19, 2016

"I have been using this medication for quite some time. 300mg 3 times a day. It almost completely erases irratability without hindering my ability to think clearly. In fact it helps my concentration considerably. I am able to focus on the task at hand without freaking out about why things arent working right."

Buddha1313 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2016

"Gabapentin (Neurontin) made me sleepy, helped only a tad bit eith my anxiety, and did nothing to help with my mood swings. I might as well have taken a sugar pill as a mood stabilizer. When I stopped gabapentin, I threw up/was nauseous, dizzy, had chills, could not sleep,vand my whole body was in pain for WEEKS- And I even tappered off it, not cold turkey. Dtay away from this evil stuff."

Joeyyy924 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 29, 2016

"Without going into excessive detail, I've been on Lamictal for about 5 years. Tried anti-psychotics (almost all) but could not handle the weight gain from them. Recently I realized that as great as Lamictal is, I needed to add an anti-psychotic and just deal with weight gain. But my psychiatrist suggested I try Gabapentin before anything else. I'm only on 600 mg a day (been on it for 4 days), and I know my body is still adjusting to it, so this might be a hasty review... but it's given me a calming feel, helped a little with racing thoughts, but I feel "high," at times like I'd drank a lot of codeine. It definitely makes you loopy, but I'm just gonna see how it goes. Just give it a try if you're Bipolar I and don't want the anti-psychotics."

JJ9069 July 22, 2016

"I have bpd, and it was a really rough start. My Dr had me on 27 different prescriptions in one year, and I was a total train wreck. Switched Dr's, and that one gave me a very high dose of benzos, and it almost killed me. Spent time in the icu for that one. Finally got the most amazing Dr now and he started me on gabapentin. It honestly saved my life.It is so hard to survive this illness when you cant get in under control. I had forgetten what it was like to be myself. I was angry and pissed off at everyone. It was so very hard on my husband and four little boys. I started with 300mg three times a day. The difference was amazing. I could smile and laugh. Thank you gabapentin for bringing me back!"

Flight154 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2016

"This medicine works so well for my bipolar disorder! I've tried so many other medications to no avail. Finally, a doctor put me on this (300mg x 3 times daily) & now I'm up to 600mg three times daily (1800mg daily). It works wonders! I have virtually no anxiety (I used to wake up & could literally feel the anxiety set in before this medicine) & helps with pain as well. My doc put me on Buproprion 100mg twice a day also. In conjunction these seem to really work for me. All in all, I highly recommend Gabapentin!"

ChericeCormier July 11, 2016

"I've only been taking this medication for under a week, 300mg x 3 times/day. Pdoc Rx'd it for my BP1, and as an adjuct treatment for insomnia and anxiety. My first few doses I felt pleasantly drugged and mellow. It had a moderate cannaboid effect and even gave me the munchies and had me babbling. It has lessened quickly. This med must be working on the brains gaba receptors indeed for I've had a general sense of wellbeing and calmness. Side effects: increased appetite, some minor drowsiness/loopiness, some dipsomania, and strangely...a frequent need to "stretch out" my muscles. I'm going to continue this medication, and even ask about a higher dose. More time on it will reveal how well this treats my conditions."

InAtlanta (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2016

"I started the once daily Gabapentin last week and am now on 1200 mg/day. I was taking it for back pain and later realized it is also used for bipolar and anxiety problems, which I also suffer from. I don't feel much of a difference mentally, but I feel drugged during the day. It feels like I took a sleeping pill and am walking around doing my work trying to keep my eyes open. I am not sure whether this is connected to the drug or it just happened for another reason. In fact, this drugged feeling happened to me twice before I took the drug, but now it happens everyday. Not sure what's going on."

Rubanda May 30, 2016

"I have bipolar disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. I was prescribed gabapentin for my anxiety after my doctor realized that I had an addiction to atavan. No amount of atavan could help my anxiety. I wasn't sleeping, could barely function and was calling into work sick very often. The first night I took gabapentin I finally slept through the night and I made it through an entire week of work without calling in sick. My anxiety hasn't completely vanished but gabapentin has been such a life saver. I'm currently on 200mg three times a day (sometimes I take an extra 100mg if it's a bad day). I highly recommend it"

Alyssamadeleine May 13, 2016

"I have bipolar skizzoaffective disorder and have been struggling with depression and not wanting to live for 2 years from a divorce. An anti depressant was finally given to me and life became okay again. But I was still having casual suicidal thoughts 2 to 3 times a week. When 300mg of Gabapentin a day was added the suicidal thoughts stopped. I can't even entertain that kind of thinking if I try. I finally feel normal!!!!"

trudyj1s (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

"I've been taking gabapentin for 12 years. I used to have feelings of major irritation and maybe a little paranoia. An example of something that used to happen before i took these was i would be at work, flipping out thinking my mom and my boyfriend(at that time he was painting my parents house) were messing around. Which would NEVER EVER happen. Not only was our son there but so was my father lol. They also kind of disliked him. Point is when I started the gabapentin I laughed at the thought so hard cause it was so ridiculous, I still laugh at the foolishness of it. So i take them every 5 hours and if I had forgotten them my mom or my friend would notice because I would be sooooo irritable. They would be scared to remind me."

danc5150 (taken for 10 years or more) March 22, 2016

"I started this medication about a week ago. I am diagnosed with Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar Type) as well as unspecified anxiety disorder. I was constantly dreading things and felt guilty for no reason. My anxiety bothered me to the point it made me vomit. I started on 300mg 2x a day and it has been amazing. It does not cure it but it takes away a lot of anxiety for me. I would definitely recommend this med."

TyARev3643 (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2016

"I have been on gabapentin 600mg three times a day for a while for my fibromyalgia and it works get for that. My psychiatrist just increased it to 800mg three times a day for my bipolar depression and anxiety and it is really helping with that too. I noticed the first day on 800mg that I felt calmer and happier. I am happy"

sugarmoney28 February 13, 2016

"Bipolar disorder successfully treated with gabapentin for 4 years -900mg daily.Then in Dec 2015, I had general anesthetic for broken leg operation. Then 6 weeks later, fell into deep depression with uncontrollable crying. Convinced this is result of anesthetic. Can anything reverse this state?"

shosholoza (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 13, 2016

"I started taking this for bipolar 2 disorder and am prescribed Xanax for anxiety. My doctor started me out at 100mg of gabapentin (3x/day) after using Topamax to treat my bipolar disorder. The Topamax worked great for my mood, but caused me to lose too much weight, and constant parathesias in my arms, legs and even face. This medication works the same way without the side effects! (I'm now at 300mg 3x/day) I haven't even had need for my Xanax because this helps so much with my anxiety, as well! And it doesn't make me drowsy like Xanax does. I'm so happy I came across this and asked my doctor to try it. I hated antipsychotics but wanted to control my symptoms. I thought that was a no win situation, but gabapentin is my answer!"

Brvvke (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

"I am taking this medicine for Borderline Personality disorder. It has helped a lot of my symptoms. I have been sleeping better, my moods are much better, my "splitting" has even gotten better. It is definitely making me less depressed, too. I recommend this medicine for anyone with these symptoms or other mental conditions. My thigh has varicose veins and that has gotten better which is a bonus because I'm not taking it for pain. I really think this drug needs to be approved for Bipolar disorder (though I don't have it) and Borderline Personality Disorder. I hope I never have to quit taking it."

JeremyMG16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2016

"I cannot even tell people enough how much this medicine has saved my life. If you struggle with bipolar 2 or mood disorders this medicine is perfect for you. I am so stable when I am on this and feel 10x happier overalls". I take this with your adderall and lexapro, regardless I gaurentee this medicine will work for almost anyone. Also, you need to take at least 300 MG to feel the effects."

Emilyx713 January 21, 2016

"I have suffered silently with bi polar 2 ADHD and PTSD for about 15 years. After debilitating depression and anxiety I finally went to get help. I am only on my 4th day with 300mg 3x daily but the difference in my life is HUGE! I actually sleep at night which is so rare, and my days are spent enjoying my kids instead of sitting on the couch all day. I have had so little anxiety, I forgot what it has felt like to not constantly have a feeling of dread. It is incredible. I do hope that this is a forever feeling! The total for this medication was $93.98 my out of pocket after my insurance was $7.00"

Miamia04 January 10, 2016

"Gabapentin, I take for my bipolar depression and anxiety. The med lifted my deep depression and my anxiety vanished. I could functional at a normal level in society again, my concentration probs were helped greatly ! However, despite the great results, the med caused horrific hot flashes and profuse sweating and I had a full hysterectomy in 2004, which I had menopausal hot flashes/profuse sweating, then they vanished until I took Gabapentin !! Med is great 4 bipolar symptoms & anxiety, clarity of the mind, but, beware !! May cause debilitating and very miserable times of constant hot flashes and profuse sweating, day & night, followed by moments of freezing ! Hot & cold from one minute 2 the next, all day & all night."

kimmurdaugh (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2015

"I also have been resistant to many of the drugs that Doctors prescribed. I have also paid dearly for some of the side effects. I only speak for myself, this drug has been a miracle for me."

Johnny Dev November 28, 2015

"I've always been an anxious person who stays in a state of mania and the drops into depression. This medication is basically a miracle. It works immediately and I've been taking it for 3 months now with virtually no side effects. I don't have racing thoughts any more and my heart doesn't race a mile a minute. I have reacted to stressful situations a lot more rationally and calmly than I ever have in my life. I am also just starting to take Lamicatal. I believe the combinations is really effective. I also sleep so well and don't feel groggy in the morning! Really give it a shot."

Jepper November 19, 2015

"Along with Lexapro this medication is a wonder drug for my depression. It helps me with social interaction. So happ y I found this med."

F1REBRIDE November 8, 2015

"I have a diagnosis of Bipolar 1 spectrum that has been classified as treatment resistant as no meds have allowed for me to have much success without dire side effects or polarizing symptoms. I was put on 100mg. 3 times a day. After 4 years of major rapid cycling mood symptoms Gabapentin worked immediately with no side effects. Its so strange to wake up feeling great and to go to sleep at night feeling great. I even have made many new friends and had several job offers since I started this miracle drug. No depression or mania for 2 weeks. So incredibly grateful"

circusmgurcus (taken for less than 1 month) November 2, 2015

"An absolutely horrific drug for treating Bipolar 2. I was prescribed 100 mg/day to start and upon waking, after the first night that I took it, I knew immediately something was wrong. I felt utterly drugged. I was off-balance and in an aggitated haze. My thoughts were muddled and I had most intensely "down" day I had had in months. It was a really bad day trying to just make it through. I called my dr and she said to stop taking it immediately. No good. I would stay far far away from this off-label drug."

AH333 November 2, 2015

"I have the most intractable, severe, manic depressive major depression I have ever seen. I'm not much of an exaggerator%u2014 it is THAT bad. no psychosis, no mania, no dual diagnosis, just manic depressive major depression, severe, protracted. complicated by equally severe, unfortunately earned, ptsd. I am meds-resistant to ALL other mood stabilizers & antidepressants. I have TRIED ALL of them. I have always had issues with medications not working, but psychotropics are the WORST. I would write more, but there isn't enough space. I also have tic doloureaux, lucky me. For this, I was given neurontin. My side effect? I was brought nearly back to life. I have no words for the depth of my gratitude."

-kafkette- October 24, 2015