User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Bipolar Disorder

"This medication did not work for my anxiety and was ineffective for controlling changes in mood. Bipolar II."

Bipolar18 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2018

"I have been on antidepressants, benzos and atypical antipsychotic medication for severe depression, insomnia, and PTSD, along with agoraphobia. This is the only medication that has worked for me. I can finally sleep now, I have less anxiety, am calmer and no longer afraid to leave my home. Better than any benzo. Would highly recommend this medication. I take 1200 to 1500mg at night for sleep and it works throughout the next day."

Mytee Byte (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2018

"I've been on Gabapentin for around 10 yrs & I really like the medication."

Mrs.Paulette (taken for 10 years or more) March 16, 2018

"This medication was extremely helpful for my bipolar. We tried a lot of other drugs. I'm very sensitive and a lot of other drugs either raise my liver enzymes or give me excruciating migraines. This medicine will level you off so that your anxiety isn't taking over your life. It actually helped me function in life rather than avoid it altogether. I'm 40 years old and time is flying by. I want to enjoy myself somewhat before I'm too old. I would recommend this to anyone who's suffering with ptsd and anxiety."

TerryB77 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 28, 2018

"My ex-wife and sister use this medication for bipolar. My sister apparently uses it in such high doses that others I know who use it are flabbergasted at how much she uses. Then my daughter got into her mother's, and overdosed. Doesn't seem to regulate either of the prescribed people while posing a huge risk for family. Also, I read that some addicts love this stuff for the buzz it creates while not being on the urinalysis panel screens unless specifically asked. That would be my sister in a nutshell. She claims to be a few years "sober"."

Addict's brother January 9, 2018

"It was night and day for me too. I don’t have depression any more."

Clint95465 December 5, 2017

"I take two 300mg capsules before sleep. So effective at helping uninterrupted anxiety free and healthy sleep I was able to stop taking my nighttime dose of lorazepam. 600mg 2 hours before bed takes about 2 hours to make me adequately sleepy. 900mg left me unable to get up in the morning for work although this might change in time. Amazing drug!"

Mcdr110 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2017

"I was drowsy for the first two days, but that went away. I don't experience any (noticeable) side effects, but the amount of help that it has provided me isn't too noticeable either. It has helped the highs and lows become a little less intense, but it's still not not doing a great job. This is better than nothing, though."

Mixed-Files (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 20, 2017

"I have had bi-polar disorder for 38 years. I have tried several medications that I consider myself a "walking pharmacy." When Gabapentin was added to my other medications, it was like night and day. My psychiatrist said Gabapentin is not toxic to the liver...that was good news. I am on a 3000 mg. per day. Gabapentin makes me sane and stable, I'm less irritable, I'm focused and motivated. I feel no side effects with Gabapentin. In addition to therapy, Gabapentin helps me manage symtoms of bipolar disease well...it calms the raging "tsunami" in my head, Nevertheless, I am still struggling with feelings of hopelessness and guilt. I severe memory loss, and a low depakote level in my blood"

Walking pharmacy (taken for 10 years or more) November 9, 2017

"I have taken 100mg twice daily for a few years for bipolar, nerve pain and fibromyalgia. I find I am still in great need of a mood stabilizer, but it does help with the pain. I don't do well with medications and if I try to increase the gabapentin I get too sleepy."

Bochris15 September 27, 2017

"I have been taking this medication for a while. I have found that my body has been getting used to this medication the whole time. I have had bad side effects. However, now I don't seem to have any side effects. My doctor mentioned the max dose a day is 3600mg. Taking lower doses helps but it does not help the way 3600mg helps. It is my first day on 3600 and I feel good. The gabapentin is working well. Hopefully this dose stays the same in terms of effect and i can live the rest of my life on this dose, because right now i feel i can maintain relationships, go to school, and take care of what i need to take care of. Good luck with gabapentin."

Krisiwnl (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 12, 2017

"A lot of people seem to really like neurontin for bipolar disorder. My experience unfortunately was not that great. I took it as an add-on to lamictal after I had a couple manic outbursts from taking lamictal alone. Gabapentin initially helped with anxiety symptoms (mental + physical) and really helped calm me down, help me sleep, etc. However, it dragged me back down to severe depression. I couldn't feel good about anything on it. Even when my doctor and I experimented with different dosages for lamictal and gabapentin, I couldn't find a good balance. Mostly I just experienced depression. I'm being taken off gabapentin soon. I really wanted this medication to work, but the benefits did not make up for the negatives."

elf_1984 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 3, 2017

"Took this drug for 6 months. It did nothing for my mood, but it added inches to my waistline. Worse, it made me scatterbrained as hell, kinda in a sneaky way as I slowly titrated, so that I didn't realize how bad it had affected my brain till I was off it, & suddenly I wasn't a super ditz anymore."

Gone Bananas (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 22, 2017

"This makes me feel hyper and relaxed at the same time, its great! I take 900× 3 times a day. Love it so far. But I've only been taking it for about 4 weeks now. We'll see... "

Mufflan (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2017

"I have Multiple Sclerosis and have suffered from atrocious nerve pain in my back and legs that severely impaired my functioning and quality of life. My neurologist prescribed Gabapentin for the pain. I was skeptical that anything could help. I am on 400 mg a day right now, taken in 100mg 4x a day. I have been on it for about 2 weeks. I am already experiencing days of almost NO pain. A GODSEND. Interestingly, I am also rapid cycling Bipolar, for which I have been on Abilify. Though the Abilify has helped maintain my judgment, it has done nothing for my manic agitation and depression. I had NO IDEA this was also used as a mood stabilizer or I would have tried it sooner. In just 2 weeks, I feel even keeled and an inner serenity. Love this med!"

Anonymous March 11, 2017

"I've been treated with a combination of Depakote, Effexor and Wellbutrin before and I just felt crazier than I did before and gained about 45 pounds. So I got off meds altogether for about 15 years. Needless to say, as much as I wanted to live an unmedicated life, my rapid and severe mood swings were really making things difficult for me. After two failed relationships I decided I'd go to the doctor and give it another shot. I feel like a brand new man! I'm just beginning my second month. Month one I was on 200mg taken three times a day and I just was so calm and collected and took my time to react to things instead of flying off the handle. Now I'm on 300mg 3 times a day and this might just be perfect for me. Highly recommended"

Greedy hands March 1, 2017

"This medication has changed my life. I also take Effexor. Diagnosed with bipolar. I feel calm, capable, confident, energetic, stable & happy. I was in a terrible state before I started it, severely depressed, anxiety, anger and I was even hospitalized for my behavior and suicidal thoughts. My only concern is what I've read about withdrawals but it is worth to me to have my life back."

JasNeeka (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 28, 2017

"This medication is a godsend. Squashes my anxiety, racing thoughts, and depression! I also take a low dose of Seroquel XR and Prozac, which seems to be helping me tremendously."

Reese92 February 25, 2017

"I struggled all my life with major depression and hypomania. Have had diagnosis every where from ADD,Major Depressive Disorder, General Anxiety Disorder, and PTSD (cancer survivor). FINALLY a highly experienced state pyschiatrist properly identified me as non specific bi polar with rapid cycling. Over a ten year prior period, I had tried, zoloft, lexipro, zyprexa, ritalin, all the benzos, several antipyscotics, and many illegal substances to no avail. When I finally met the doctor that diagnosed my bipolar he prescribed gabapentin as a mood stabilizer as well as a sleeping med (ambien) and zoloft (the only anti depressent that ever worked). I have been on this regiment for almost 3 years now and I fully believe it has saved my life!"

Drdoom389 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 7, 2017

"Man I hate big pharma. I have also worked in the field of psychiatry as a pych tech for 20 years . I was diagnosed with Bipolar I at 43 I am now 53. I have tried so many rubbish meds, valium , amphetamines, methamphetamines ( legal desoxsyn) all kinds of mood stabilizers all of these med were horrible. I go tired of pills . I quit taking all my meds except and antidepressant. I have a bad back sciatic nerve issue that flared back up due to compressed disk. It is very very panful. I started taking this medication. After 4 days I noticed that I was calmer, less anxious. more focused less racing thoughts, more confidence for sure, talking to peeps feeling good about making jokes etc.much less depressed!!!"

DougPickrel (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2017

"Amazing for my depression"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 7, 2017

"I'm dealing with severe back pain. The pain clinic doctor has prescribed a medication that is used to treat bipolar disorder, herpes and shingles?"

gimmaname January 6, 2017

"I have had chronic cluster headaches for years-and generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks and was diagnosed about a yr and a half ago w Bipolar 2 Neurontin was given to me for nerve pain which it didnt help. But- for anxiety, panic, living with a feeling of constant uneasiness and dread... it is LIFE-CHANGING for me. I no longer have to live that horror. It honestly was a horror. So this is what living feels like!!!!!! I am unable to express my gratitude to the Dr that prescribed this to me. Absolutely LIFE-CHANGING If you suffer from any of the forementioned conditions- its worth trying. It works within 25mins of taking it. Theres no prolonged waiting period. I take 800mg 3x day."

Stargazer416 September 19, 2016

"I have been using this medication for quite some time. 300mg 3 times a day. It almost completely erases irratability without hindering my ability to think clearly. In fact it helps my concentration considerably. I am able to focus on the task at hand without freaking out about why things arent working right."

Buddha1313 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2016

"Gabapentin (Neurontin) made me sleepy, helped only a tad bit eith my anxiety, and did nothing to help with my mood swings. I might as well have taken a sugar pill as a mood stabilizer. When I stopped gabapentin, I threw up/was nauseous, dizzy, had chills, could not sleep,vand my whole body was in pain for WEEKS- And I even tappered off it, not cold turkey. Dtay away from this evil stuff."

Joeyyy924 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 29, 2016