User Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Bipolar Disorder

Also known as: Neurontin, Gralise, Gabarone, Fanatrex

Gabapentin has an average rating of 8.2 out of 10 from a total of 116 ratings for the treatment of Bipolar Disorder. 78% of those users who reviewed Gabapentin reported a positive effect, while 11% reported a negative effect.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.2/10 average rating

Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Gabapentin

Blewee0813 · Taken for 10 years or more February 10, 2021

“Gabapentin helps with my bipolar depression better than any other antidepressant or antipsychotic I've ever tried. It has improved my mood in ways nothing else has come close to.”

TommyOdin8686 · Taken for less than 1 month January 3, 2021

“I was prescribed Gabapentin for immobilizing pain with osteoarthritis in my lumbar. This was given just to ease the pain before I have ablation therapy. Within the first 3-4 days I noticed the pain lifting I can still feel it but I can actually do more around the house and in general without feeling like I can't handle it anymore. But then I started noticing my mood and concentration getting better and a big mood lift. I have bipolar 1 in fact I'm on disability just for that so far but none of the meds I've tried have done real great. It's only the first week with Gabapentin but I think it just may be my cure all med. Less pain=better mood that is obvious but I feel this doing so much more. I'm so glad my Dr. prescribed it. It has been almost 5 years since I was diagnosed and I've had multiple hospital stays. I'm really hoping this med keeps up the good work and keep me on my own two feet.”

Kippey · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2020

“By far not everyone’s experience but my brush with gabapentin was scary. I was only prescribed 300 mg per day. The first day I took it I felt sedated. Second day is when I experienced my first intrusive suicidal thoughts. This scared me but I continued to take it as prescribed, thinking that with all the positive reviews here things would surely get better. The third day was spent daydreaming about my suicide. Fourth day had me thinking about death. By the fifth day these effects subsided along with any anti-anxiety effects the medication had on me. This is a black box warning for this drug, by the way.”

John · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2020

“I am someone who is dealing with bipolar II, social anxiety and quite a lot of depression periods. I have been prescribed lamotrigine, but I can not really feel the difference. And I have been using gabapentin when my anxiety is really bad, and it really helps me. No more anxiety, much more energy and happiness. Best drug ever”

Super J May 25, 2018

“Gabapentin saved my life. I have suffered from bipolar disorder and PTSD for the past 7 years. The anxiety, severe depression and PTSD were ruling my life. I lost all my friends, couldn't hold a job or relationship, I lived alone moving from place to place searching for what I lost or didn't have as far as normality and balance in my body, mind and soul. The constant hurricane of thoughts in my head, good or bad, caused an inhibition of social ability so I could never be comfortable in any given social situation. After struggling for so long while taking just about every medication out there, I went med free for a while. The last episode I had made me lose just about everything I worked for to build myself back up. I became worried and desperate so I saw a doctor. After taking this, it all stopped. I can sleep, eat, I am stable and motivated. It has been so long since I have been happy. This medication is a miracle for me, I hope it is further prescribed to more suffering from mental illnesses.”

MustangDave March 14, 2013

“After 31 years of being treated for depression with a panic disorder, and constantly complaining that the diagnosis was wrong, I found a doctor that figured it out. She diagnosed me with Cyclothymia (a form of bipolar disorder). She took me off of SSRI's and started me on Gabapentin. WOW. I feel like a normal person (I think). I'm calm. So far no panic attacks. The fog has lifted. I feel like I'm actually in the room. It's too bad that it took 31 years of my life for the medical community to figure it out, but better late than never.”

Bunny · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 12, 2020

“In my opinion gabapentin has been a life saver. Conventional drugs for bipolar never have worked well for me. I have bipolar 1, ocd, gad, ptsd, and a picking disorder. With my bipolar I have mixed mania and rapid cycling. Since taking gabapentin my family has noticed a 100% improvement. I am more patient, less irritable..just more in control overall.”

Flight154 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 20, 2016

“I have bpd, and it was a really rough start. My Dr had me on 27 different prescriptions in one year, and I was a total train wreck. Switched Dr's, and that one gave me a very high dose of benzos, and it almost killed me. Spent time in the icu for that one. Finally got the most amazing Dr now and he started me on gabapentin. It honestly saved my life.It is so hard to survive this illness when you cant get in under control. I had forgetten what it was like to be myself. I was angry and pissed off at everyone. It was so very hard on my husband and four little boys. I started with 300mg three times a day. The difference was amazing. I could smile and laugh. Thank you gabapentin for bringing me back!”

Ms maryland · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2015

“It's changed my life. I can finally function with bipolar. I'm sleeping, calm, productive and I am not indecisive about everything everyday. I'm not drowsy and I can get up on time for work. I'm 45- it's been a 20 year struggle without it.”

trudyj1s · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2016

“I have bipolar skizzoaffective disorder and have been struggling with depression and not wanting to live for 2 years from a divorce. An anti depressant was finally given to me and life became okay again. But I was still having casual suicidal thoughts 2 to 3 times a week. When 300mg of Gabapentin a day was added the suicidal thoughts stopped. I can't even entertain that kind of thinking if I try. I finally feel normal!!!!”

Mellaney · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 1, 2013

“I am 25. I have been taking gabapentin sense I was 17. I must say that I can't live without it. It makes me feel "my normal". Anyway, it calms my nerves - but not like a volume ...it makes me feel really good. I feel like I can do and achieve just about anything! I wouldn't want to be without it. I am prescribed 800 mg gabapentin. I take 1600 mg when I get up in the morning. Gabapentin changed me..personally..for the better. I love my medicine!”

preciselythis · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 30, 2014

“I have Fibromyalgia, Bipolar Disorder, Lumbar Spinal issues, Sciatica pain, Anxiety Disorder, and Neurological pain. I have been on a low dose, and always complained it made me sleepy, and took 60MG of oxycodone a day. I now take 3400 MG of gabapentin per day, Lexapro, and Seroquel. Cannot stress enough of how awesome gabapentin is. It helps most of my health problems. It is a miracle pill that I ignored for a long time. I do feel a bit floaty and giggly. But, I am also able to live my life again!”

Wkumomma · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 13, 2013

“I was given gabapentin in addition to my Lamictal. On the two medicines I have developed a little obsessive compulsive disorder. I like having three ink pens to work, like things positioned on shelves in a certain way. After that being said my rapid cycling bipolar is under control. Gabapentin doesn't help joint pain or any other pains I seem to have. I take 400 mg 3x a day. I like it, all the side effects are worth it in my opinion. I have never felt better in my life! I work out everyday just about and eat healthy. The time I started gabapentin I have energy. I have lost 25lbs and have been doing this life change for 6 months. Please try it! And if you are bipolar try the combination. ”

-kafkette- October 24, 2015

“I have the most intractable, severe, manic depressive major depression I have ever seen. I'm not much of an exaggerator%u2014 it is THAT bad. no psychosis, no mania, no dual diagnosis, just manic depressive major depression, severe, protracted. complicated by equally severe, unfortunately earned, ptsd. I am meds-resistant to ALL other mood stabilizers & antidepressants. I have TRIED ALL of them. I have always had issues with medications not working, but psychotropics are the WORST. I would write more, but there isn't enough space. I also have tic doloureaux, lucky me. For this, I was given neurontin. My side effect? I was brought nearly back to life. I have no words for the depth of my gratitude.”

Ella · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 16, 2019

“I have had various treatments for bipolar over the last 7 years but was unhappy with weight gain. I was put on gabapentin for my sciatic nerve pain and soon realised my low moods had lifted enabling me to have a better quality of life. Six months ago I was able to stay off my other meds for bipolar and just take the Gabapentin”

Chellebelle · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 11, 2019

“Very sensitive to medications and unable to tolerate anything but Gabapention which was first prescribed for nerve pain but bonus was in time it became obvious it helped hugely with mood! Not free of pain but the severity and duration is manageable with Gabapentin on board. Only downfall is short half-life so multiple doses during the day and can feel some irritability creep in if I go too long between doses, overnight can fall into that category if sleep too long. Nice to have one med cover multiple issues for me!”

bob · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 20, 2019

“Was prescribed this for my right hip avascular necrosis and realized that it made me a happy, normal person, so I told my doc it helped my bipolar. I suffered an awful 2 years of alcohol withdrawal which could have been eased by this medication, however, my VA doc was subpar and didn't know or care that this drug could have been advantageous for me during my hell-like 2 years after quitting alcohol. It pays to go to a private practitioner. Don't believe the naysayers, they are wrong, it's a #1 drug for anxiety, bipolar and alcohol detox.”

Male Artist · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 25, 2019

“I found that 600mg gabapentin can help me express myself in untapped ways. It doesn’t make me say things out of character like a drugs or alcohol , it can help me I guess relax enough to be at ease. I don’t use it everyday, but when I do use it I often learn something about being more gentle, or an ability to be patient and make an effort to have solid conversation. I don’t get a feeling like an opioid, I don’t take it after work like some kind of cure all but I will take it if I’m looking to be my least bound up self. It also has improved my sex Life and relationship skills.”

Bipolar 1 Rapid-cycling · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 17, 2019

“I have been diagnosed with Bipolar 1 for about six years now and have been on over 20 medications among antipsychotics, antidepressants, anti anxiety, benzos and mood stabilizers. My rapid cycling is normally so bad that I can’t think straight and have a lot of episodes. I’ve been on gabapentin for a month and I legitimately have not felt so stable in my life. I only take 600mg daily spread throughout the day along with lamictal, buspar, and vraylar. It really feels like I can think and rationalize now, like someone who isn’t experiencing the severity of the disorder I have. I feel relatively bipolar symptom free and this is the first medication in 6 years that has done that for me. If you have hard to treat bipolar and have tried a lot, I recommend considering gabapentin as an adjunctive. It also helps me sleep soundly, so I don’t even have to take my trazadone anymore.”

Rosiecoco June 1, 2014

“Gabapentin has saved my life! Like everyone else I was experiencing a lot of anxiety & wanted something non habit forming and addictive. This makes me feel calm about an hour after taking. No more anxious thoughts & irritation. Wonderful medication I can't stress that enough!”

Alyssamadeleine May 13, 2016

“I have bipolar disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. I was prescribed gabapentin for my anxiety after my doctor realized that I had an addiction to atavan. No amount of atavan could help my anxiety. I wasn't sleeping, could barely function and was calling into work sick very often. The first night I took gabapentin I finally slept through the night and I made it through an entire week of work without calling in sick. My anxiety hasn't completely vanished but gabapentin has been such a life saver. I'm currently on 200mg three times a day (sometimes I take an extra 100mg if it's a bad day). I highly recommend it”

Drdoom389 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 7, 2017

“I struggled all my life with major depression and hypomania. Have had diagnosis every where from ADD,Major Depressive Disorder, General Anxiety Disorder, and PTSD (cancer survivor). FINALLY a highly experienced state pyschiatrist properly identified me as non specific bi polar with rapid cycling. Over a ten year prior period, I had tried, zoloft, lexipro, zyprexa, ritalin, all the benzos, several antipyscotics, and many illegal substances to no avail. When I finally met the doctor that diagnosed my bipolar he prescribed gabapentin as a mood stabilizer as well as a sleeping med (ambien) and zoloft (the only anti depressent that ever worked). I have been on this regiment for almost 3 years now and I fully believe it has saved my life!”

kayeLo March 8, 2015

“I was on every type of class of bi-polar medications and the side effects were worse than the condition. I have been taking gabapentin at night for a year now and I love it. It does not make me fuzzy or groggy the next day and my moods are manageable most of the time. In the long term, I prefer gabapentin.”

watson · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 19, 2019

“My family has a history of bipolar 1. I went untreated for 20 years. You can only imagine the things I've done when in manic and depressive states. I finally got help last year for the first time. I have been on several medications over the past year and have been unstable. I just started Gabapentin, using it to try to come off clonazapam. I also take lamictal, seroquel and dronabinol and have never been this stable. My rapid cycling has slowed down extremely.”

Stargazer416 September 19, 2016

“I have had chronic cluster headaches for years-and generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks and was diagnosed about a yr and a half ago w Bipolar 2 Neurontin was given to me for nerve pain which it didnt help. But- for anxiety, panic, living with a feeling of constant uneasiness and dread... it is LIFE-CHANGING for me. I no longer have to live that horror. It honestly was a horror. So this is what living feels like!!!!!! I am unable to express my gratitude to the Dr that prescribed this to me. Absolutely LIFE-CHANGING If you suffer from any of the forementioned conditions- its worth trying. It works within 25mins of taking it. Theres no prolonged waiting period. I take 800mg 3x day.”

Pete7189 August 7, 2014

“I have bipolar disorder, chronic depression, and anxiety and gabapentin has help tremendously without the use of other narcotic medicines. Yea, it makes you feel a little loopy for the first few weeks, but after that it does a wonderful job calming the nerves. One day I decided to go off it and the next day I had insane mood swings until I started it back up 2 days later and then it was like night and day. So that's how I know this stuff works. While I was off it, I threw my back out and after going back on it my back pain was virtually gone. Killed two birds with one stone. It does make my face more oily than normal along with minor fatigue and added hunger, but other than that I love it.”

danc5150 · Taken for 10 years or more March 22, 2016

“I've been taking gabapentin for 12 years. I used to have feelings of major irritation and maybe a little paranoia. An example of something that used to happen before i took these was i would be at work, flipping out thinking my mom and my boyfriend(at that time he was painting my parents house) were messing around. Which would NEVER EVER happen. Not only was our son there but so was my father lol. They also kind of disliked him. Point is when I started the gabapentin I laughed at the thought so hard cause it was so ridiculous, I still laugh at the foolishness of it. So i take them every 5 hours and if I had forgotten them my mom or my friend would notice because I would be sooooo irritable. They would be scared to remind me.”

Being Bipolar is not all bad · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2014

“I love gapapentin! I take 600 - 1200 mg a day and I am happy again. I was on other medicines plus Celexa for depression but still had horrible anxiety and crazy mood swings. I now take my gapapentin and 100 mg of Seroquel and I have no anxiety and I feel better overall. I am not really sleepy either.”

Learn more about Bipolar Disorder