User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Bipolar Disorder

"This medicine works so well for my bipolar disorder! I've tried so many other medications to no avail. Finally, a doctor put me on this (300mg x 3 times daily) & now I'm up to 600mg three times daily (1800mg daily). It works wonders! I have virtually no anxiety (I used to wake up & could literally feel the anxiety set in before this medicine) & helps with pain as well. My doc put me on Buproprion 100mg twice a day also. In conjunction these seem to really work for me. All in all, I highly recommend Gabapentin!"

ChericeCormier July 11, 2016

"I've only been taking this medication for under a week, 300mg x 3 times/day. Pdoc Rx'd it for my BP1, and as an adjuct treatment for insomnia and anxiety. My first few doses I felt pleasantly drugged and mellow. It had a moderate cannaboid effect and even gave me the munchies and had me babbling. It has lessened quickly. This med must be working on the brains gaba receptors indeed for I've had a general sense of wellbeing and calmness. Side effects: increased appetite, some minor drowsiness/loopiness, some dipsomania, and strangely...a frequent need to "stretch out" my muscles. I'm going to continue this medication, and even ask about a higher dose. More time on it will reveal how well this treats my conditions."

InAtlanta (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2016

"I started the once daily Gabapentin last week and am now on 1200 mg/day. I was taking it for back pain and later realized it is also used for bipolar and anxiety problems, which I also suffer from. I don't feel much of a difference mentally, but I feel drugged during the day. It feels like I took a sleeping pill and am walking around doing my work trying to keep my eyes open. I am not sure whether this is connected to the drug or it just happened for another reason. In fact, this drugged feeling happened to me twice before I took the drug, but now it happens everyday. Not sure what's going on."

Rubanda May 30, 2016

"I have bipolar disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. I was prescribed gabapentin for my anxiety after my doctor realized that I had an addiction to atavan. No amount of atavan could help my anxiety. I wasn't sleeping, could barely function and was calling into work sick very often. The first night I took gabapentin I finally slept through the night and I made it through an entire week of work without calling in sick. My anxiety hasn't completely vanished but gabapentin has been such a life saver. I'm currently on 200mg three times a day (sometimes I take an extra 100mg if it's a bad day). I highly recommend it"

Alyssamadeleine May 13, 2016

"I have bipolar skizzoaffective disorder and have been struggling with depression and not wanting to live for 2 years from a divorce. An anti depressant was finally given to me and life became okay again. But I was still having casual suicidal thoughts 2 to 3 times a week. When 300mg of Gabapentin a day was added the suicidal thoughts stopped. I can't even entertain that kind of thinking if I try. I finally feel normal!!!!"

trudyj1s (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

"I've been taking gabapentin for 12 years. I used to have feelings of major irritation and maybe a little paranoia. An example of something that used to happen before i took these was i would be at work, flipping out thinking my mom and my boyfriend(at that time he was painting my parents house) were messing around. Which would NEVER EVER happen. Not only was our son there but so was my father lol. They also kind of disliked him. Point is when I started the gabapentin I laughed at the thought so hard cause it was so ridiculous, I still laugh at the foolishness of it. So i take them every 5 hours and if I had forgotten them my mom or my friend would notice because I would be sooooo irritable. They would be scared to remind me."

danc5150 (taken for 10 years or more) March 22, 2016

"I started this medication about a week ago. I am diagnosed with Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar Type) as well as unspecified anxiety disorder. I was constantly dreading things and felt guilty for no reason. My anxiety bothered me to the point it made me vomit. I started on 300mg 2x a day and it has been amazing. It does not cure it but it takes away a lot of anxiety for me. I would definitely recommend this med."

TyARev3643 (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2016

"I have been on gabapentin 600mg three times a day for a while for my fibromyalgia and it works get for that. My psychiatrist just increased it to 800mg three times a day for my bipolar depression and anxiety and it is really helping with that too. I noticed the first day on 800mg that I felt calmer and happier. I am happy"

sugarmoney28 February 13, 2016

"Bipolar disorder successfully treated with gabapentin for 4 years -900mg daily.Then in Dec 2015, I had general anesthetic for broken leg operation. Then 6 weeks later, fell into deep depression with uncontrollable crying. Convinced this is result of anesthetic. Can anything reverse this state?"

shosholoza (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 13, 2016

"I started taking this for bipolar 2 disorder and am prescribed Xanax for anxiety. My doctor started me out at 100mg of gabapentin (3x/day) after using Topamax to treat my bipolar disorder. The Topamax worked great for my mood, but caused me to lose too much weight, and constant parathesias in my arms, legs and even face. This medication works the same way without the side effects! (I'm now at 300mg 3x/day) I haven't even had need for my Xanax because this helps so much with my anxiety, as well! And it doesn't make me drowsy like Xanax does. I'm so happy I came across this and asked my doctor to try it. I hated antipsychotics but wanted to control my symptoms. I thought that was a no win situation, but gabapentin is my answer!"

Brvvke (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

"I am taking this medicine for Borderline Personality disorder. It has helped a lot of my symptoms. I have been sleeping better, my moods are much better, my "splitting" has even gotten better. It is definitely making me less depressed, too. I recommend this medicine for anyone with these symptoms or other mental conditions. My thigh has varicose veins and that has gotten better which is a bonus because I'm not taking it for pain. I really think this drug needs to be approved for Bipolar disorder (though I don't have it) and Borderline Personality Disorder. I hope I never have to quit taking it."

JeremyMG16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2016

"I cannot even tell people enough how much this medicine has saved my life. If you struggle with bipolar 2 or mood disorders this medicine is perfect for you. I am so stable when I am on this and feel 10x happier overalls". I take this with your adderall and lexapro, regardless I gaurentee this medicine will work for almost anyone. Also, you need to take at least 300 MG to feel the effects."

Emilyx713 January 21, 2016

"I have suffered silently with bi polar 2 ADHD and PTSD for about 15 years. After debilitating depression and anxiety I finally went to get help. I am only on my 4th day with 300mg 3x daily but the difference in my life is HUGE! I actually sleep at night which is so rare, and my days are spent enjoying my kids instead of sitting on the couch all day. I have had so little anxiety, I forgot what it has felt like to not constantly have a feeling of dread. It is incredible. I do hope that this is a forever feeling! The total for this medication was $93.98 my out of pocket after my insurance was $7.00"

Miamia04 January 10, 2016

"Gabapentin, I take for my bipolar depression and anxiety. The med lifted my deep depression and my anxiety vanished. I could functional at a normal level in society again, my concentration probs were helped greatly ! However, despite the great results, the med caused horrific hot flashes and profuse sweating and I had a full hysterectomy in 2004, which I had menopausal hot flashes/profuse sweating, then they vanished until I took Gabapentin !! Med is great 4 bipolar symptoms & anxiety, clarity of the mind, but, beware !! May cause debilitating and very miserable times of constant hot flashes and profuse sweating, day & night, followed by moments of freezing ! Hot & cold from one minute 2 the next, all day & all night."

kimmurdaugh (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2015

"I also have been resistant to many of the drugs that Doctors prescribed. I have also paid dearly for some of the side effects. I only speak for myself, this drug has been a miracle for me."

Johnny Dev November 28, 2015

"I've always been an anxious person who stays in a state of mania and the drops into depression. This medication is basically a miracle. It works immediately and I've been taking it for 3 months now with virtually no side effects. I don't have racing thoughts any more and my heart doesn't race a mile a minute. I have reacted to stressful situations a lot more rationally and calmly than I ever have in my life. I am also just starting to take Lamicatal. I believe the combinations is really effective. I also sleep so well and don't feel groggy in the morning! Really give it a shot."

Jepper November 19, 2015

"Along with Lexapro this medication is a wonder drug for my depression. It helps me with social interaction. So happ y I found this med."

F1REBRIDE November 8, 2015

"I have a diagnosis of Bipolar 1 spectrum that has been classified as treatment resistant as no meds have allowed for me to have much success without dire side effects or polarizing symptoms. I was put on 100mg. 3 times a day. After 4 years of major rapid cycling mood symptoms Gabapentin worked immediately with no side effects. Its so strange to wake up feeling great and to go to sleep at night feeling great. I even have made many new friends and had several job offers since I started this miracle drug. No depression or mania for 2 weeks. So incredibly grateful"

circusmgurcus (taken for less than 1 month) November 2, 2015

"An absolutely horrific drug for treating Bipolar 2. I was prescribed 100 mg/day to start and upon waking, after the first night that I took it, I knew immediately something was wrong. I felt utterly drugged. I was off-balance and in an aggitated haze. My thoughts were muddled and I had most intensely "down" day I had had in months. It was a really bad day trying to just make it through. I called my dr and she said to stop taking it immediately. No good. I would stay far far away from this off-label drug."

AH333 November 2, 2015

"I have the most intractable, severe, manic depressive major depression I have ever seen. I'm not much of an exaggerator%u2014 it is THAT bad. no psychosis, no mania, no dual diagnosis, just manic depressive major depression, severe, protracted. complicated by equally severe, unfortunately earned, ptsd. I am meds-resistant to ALL other mood stabilizers & antidepressants. I have TRIED ALL of them. I have always had issues with medications not working, but psychotropics are the WORST. I would write more, but there isn't enough space. I also have tic doloureaux, lucky me. For this, I was given neurontin. My side effect? I was brought nearly back to life. I have no words for the depth of my gratitude."

-kafkette- October 24, 2015

"Gabapentin is my happy pill. Best Anxiety medication I've ever had."

I'm Art October 19, 2015

"After years of battling depression, ADHD, PTSD, and serve anxiety my Dr. put me on gabapentin. I was recently diagnosed with mixed bipolar disorder. I have been struggling over 15 years now with Dr.'s trying me on all kinds of meds. I take Paxil, Klonopin, and clonodine, along with the gabapentin that they just increased to help with my ADHD. I don't want to say it's a miracle med., but I see the difference already. My thoughts are more clear, and it helps me concentrate better than I ever had. I wish one of the many Dr.'s over the years could have actually picked up on my current diagnosis, but at least I feel better now and can focus on my therapy to learn better coping skills during this process."

Kimg62 October 5, 2015

"Gabapentin has been amazing for me! I have been battling bi polar my whole life. I am 50 now and have been on several antidepressants for the last 5 years. Nothing really helped. For the last couple years, I would wake up crying for no reason and not wanting to get out of bed. The last time I went to see my doc she asked me if bi polar ran in my family. I told her I wasn't sure but though there might be. She put me on 300 mg. The first morning I woke up after taking the med, it had an overnight result! I did NOT cry and was able to get out of bed easier. I was amazed that my life changed so much in one day! I highly recommend anyone suffering from bi polar to try this med."

Finally! (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2015

"I have stage 3 Bipolar disorder, Bipolar disorder is a really bad thing, it consumes your life, taking pieces of memory and taken friends in the process. Also makes you say and do things you would've never imagined you were capable of some things. I managed to fall in love with my husband of 15 yrs and have 2 Beautiful amazing little boys. but still even being blessed with what I have and who I have in my life. I've tried therapy, yoga, medication after medication that failed to work. Then one-day I went to another doctor for another opinion on my diagnosis And was told the same thing. My doc then put me on neurontin, it has been a saviour, it truly works, I urge you to try it, bc it works!! And isn't even a narcotic."

Angalia September 2, 2015

"I have been on every medication. I was diagnosed with Bipolar when I was 16. I am now about to turn 35 and have never been as stable as I am now since I started neurontin. This is the first time I have had success for my bipolar disorder. And even helps me with my depression. Somehow I get out of bed every morning which rarely ever happened. I am able to take care of my children now. And it even seems to help me with my pain."

Knorg14 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 24, 2015