User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 30 medications used in the treatment of Restless Legs Syndrome.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Restless Legs Syndrome

"Took it for restless leg syndrome. It's the only thing that has really worked."

Hendrix. (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put on gabapentin after two other meds were not working for my restless legs. All I can say is where has this med been my whole life. It really has helped me. I take 300mg at 5pm and 300 mg around 9pm and it helps with my restless legs. I also have suffered from severe back pain for several years which I suspect is a pinched nerve and since I have been on this med I have not had the debilitating pain I was having before starting this med. I do not know if this is from the med or not but I had read it helped other people's back pain so I suspect it is the med that has helped."

Mamasita1269 May 13, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Gabapentin has saved my sanity. I have severe RLS 24/7. All day, every day. No exception. Was put on Requip, which did nothing. I was then prescribed Gabapentin, and my legs immediately calmed down. I couldn't believe it! I was ecstatic! I feel like a normal person again. It has caused some dizziness, balance issues here and there, and cognitive issues as well. But, nothing I can't live with. I'm sure the symptoms will subside, since I've only been on this medication for about a week. But, it's worth it to stop that horrible feeling in my legs. I literally felt like I was going to lose my mind. This has been a miracle drug for me."

Dziner05 (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've suffered with Restless Legs as long as I can remember. This has been life changing for me. Still get them occasionally but nowhere near as bad. The tablets also do not make me sleepy although I take at bedtime."

Laurajojo March 30, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Just starting to use my prescribed gabapentin for RLS.... I'll let you know how it goes! It'll be amazing if my stomach will even tolerate it!"

CrazyHealth (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 19, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I originally got Gabapentin for Nerve Pain in my neck and down my arm due to Arthritis damaging my spine. But I noticed that my Restless Leg problem I had for many years was also going away. That's when I read the drug was given specifically for restless leg syndrome. I mentioned this to my doctor and she said "yes it does". But what made me angry was when I specifically asked for something years earlier for the same thing, she wouldn't give me anything. Duh..."

MaxxOmega (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hoping my experience may help those with both nerve pain and restless leg syndrome. I've been taking this medication now for about 3 yrs and am on 1800 mgs a day. I had back surgery (4 plates) my spine is like an accordion and can collapse at anytime. Anyway, it was prescribed for nerve pain originally. This medication also helps tremendously for my restless legs. As for the nerve pain it doesn't do anything for that anymore. I'm afraid the doctor will add another dose but want to stick to the minimum amount I can get away with. I do recommend it to people though it is a very helpful drug. The are some side effects that can be a nuisance for some though, if you can get past them the benefits are worth it."

JayjayVw (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 9, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"300mg at nite in bed ... Sometimes 600mg..... Helps me sleep and no restless legs"

Windzy (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 5, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Good drug but watch out for withdrawal.4 days in bed awful. Talk to your doc to get low doses to taper off. This is an unpredictable drug I swear DO Not RUN OUT or you're introuble and get magnesium (nothing relaces this drug...nothing) god luck"

Legs o kicko November 5, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"A must try for RLS Had RLS for 7 years and was always told it was in my head. After that long leaving my RLS it was getting worse and i was showing signs of depression so i booked myself in the docs (thought i would be put on anti-depressents) i was offered to try gabapentin first to get rid of the cause of depression symptoms. They made me feel drowsy, tierd and clumsy for about 2 weeks and started getting use to them. But i slowly noticed my legs wasnt driving me insaine! They was relaxing for once when my mind was relaxed my legs was too! I have been on them a few months now and it feels great to be able to sleep and not kick around all the time. I feel happier in myself and great to have my legs and brain comunicating properly"

Kicksy.girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started having RL at 15. Then I kept it to myself even when I would be up all night sometimes taking 5 hot baths bc I thought it was in my head. My Pdoc actually prescribed it because she had prescribed me adderall for ADD and it got SO bad. When mine hits it's literally like I want to claw/cut my legs off. kick them front to back, left to right, scratch them, hit them. Nothing helped. Gabapentin helped me immediately. To those of you who said it didn't help or it made you too sleepy... I was told to take mine at bedtime. Normally I take it 2-3 hours before. 900mgs. I gave it a 9 because I do have breakthrough spells, and bad clumsiness. Taking it 2-3 hours before makes me only be dizzy and clumsy before bed and not the next morning."

yourenotalone August 26, 2016

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine has been life changing! I was always told my rls is in my head and not real. It's just me being worried or nervous. Thankfully, I asked my dr. She told me, it's very real and asked my symptoms. They matched perfectly with all rls symptoms. I take Gabapentin before bed. It takes about 30 minutes to kick in, but when it does, I'm able to relax and sleep. When I get out of bed in the morning, my legs don't ache because I'm no longer moving them all night. Please seek medical help if you are struggling with rls. This medicine might not be for you, but whatever medicine works is worth it!!"

NatMarie73 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2016

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have severe restless leg, and have taken a succession of medication over the years, Requip, other medicines, baclofen, and gabapentin. I am now on 4- 20 baclofen, and 4 600 gabapentin. When I gert the right amount of medicine, I sleep. With out the right amount, I do not sleep. Life without sleep is VERRRRRY difficult. Yes I minimize my medications, but this seems to help, now."

daniel Post Polio April 29, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had bad rls. It went up my arms and down my legs .I am on lamictal 300mg once a day and trazodone 50mg at night. The trazodone seemed to make it worse. Mirapex did nothing to help the restlessness . As soon as I was prescribed neurontin, I felt better. 300mg x5 a day. I would recommend this drug for anyone with rls."

SamanthaK (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2016

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Good for sleeping and my RLS I take 300 at nite and it works!!"

Artzy March 31, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started taking gabapentin a couple months ago. Hate to take meds of any kind and am afraid of augmentin which I have had. I started on a low dose of gabapentin and increased it to 300mg at noon, and 300 mg. after dinner. In the evening I take ropinirole. After taking ropinirole I am up for at least 2-3 hours wrestling with my legs. Tonight I decided to skip ropinirole, and take another 300mg of gabapentin. Not sure yet if it will work. Going to bed soon. I am standing while writing this."

muskiebait February 15, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I first started experiencing restless leg when I was 17. I'm 23 now. I immediately went to the doctor as I was wanting to literally claw my face off and stab my leg multiple times. I was put on ropinirole 0.5, then 1, then 2. It began making me very anxious at night to the point I was extremely agitated. It increased my anxiety tremendously right before I was prescribed gabapentin. I have dexterscoliosis and osteoarthritis in my back affecting my sciatic nerve. It sucks for my nerve pain but works WONDERS for my restless leg. I love it. I currently take 600mg in the AM, and 900mg in the PM. The drowsiness is more at night vs in the AM but it still makes me quite drowsy. I don't care. As long as the RLS is gone!! "

Shelbaye January 27, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I can't describe how great the sleep is now that the RLS is gone."

tom2234 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 31, 2015

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I feel that this medication has given my life back to me. They increased my dosage to 600 mg's once in the morning and at night. Than 900 mg's at bedtime. I feel the medication has helped my anxiety and my RLS. I also noticed an increased in sex drive. Side effect maybe. But, not a bad one. Now, my RLS has gone down I feel I can better handle the daily effect's of it because it's not fun to have."

Jillian 005 December 30, 2015

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Suffered from severe RlS and hyperactivity for most of my life. It effects all of my immediate male family members and initially clonazepam was like a miracle cure. However I'm not happy taking benzodiazepines daily so i self - prescribed Gabapentin with my doctors knowledge. It works even better than the clonazepam and gives me absolutely amazing sleep too. Only drawback it can negatively effect my cognition so I have to get the balance right with the dosage. NHS have now agreed to prescribe."

Lawro83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2015

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am in my late 20's and have had restless legs since my late teens. I have been on Gabapentin now for about 2.5 years and it has been wonderful. RLS stopped almost immediately (to my memory). For whatever reason, the RLS comes back periodically and I have to tweak the dosage a bit. At first I increased (at the doc's request) but soon reached my 1800 maximum dosage, 600mg 3x day. When symptoms popped up again I stopped taking the GP all together; believing that it had stopped working. Later in desperation, I took some leftover GP and it worked again. Now I try to stay at a low 300mg dose and take another 300-600 if I feel that familiar RLS itch as I’m settling in."

NNAAMM November 10, 2015

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Gabapentin actually causes restless leg syndrome for me. Have had 2 L45 surgeries and have taken gabapentin for pain with little relief and side effect of restless legs."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) November 4, 2015

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just took my first dose of Gabapentin I experienced severe reactions from tongue and throat swelling, slurring of words , headache, swollen glands and face, blurred and double vision. My Dr. is trying to wean me off Mirapax and Neupro patch as they have augmented. Now on a steroid and Benadryl to counteract that, still have blurred vision and it is 24 hours later."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2015

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have suffered from Restless Leg Syndrome since I was a child. This medication has made a HUGE difference in my life. No more leg pain."

carrollm5 September 23, 2015

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm answering a question from a lady who has recently detoxed from drugs and as an ex user myself ( all opiates & tablets) I offer my sympathy . Restless leg syndrome is a horrible condition that I have struggled with for years, Gabapentin hasn't helped for me so I was put on Pre-gabulin 300mg twice a day, I must say it has been heaven to sleep through the night, although they can make you drowsy if you are on a high dose, which I am, but I'm sure your doctor will find the correct dosage that suits you best. I certainly hope that I have helped in some way. Good Luck."

Poorly Lady (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 5, 2015