User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Gabapentin Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 30 medications used in the treatment of Restless Legs Syndrome.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Restless Legs Syndrome

"This stuff has saved me. It works great. My restless legs were so bad and it completely helped me get through the night."

Bella’s mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 4, 2018

"Was on robinerol had severe anxiety ended up in hospital put on 600mg gaba. No problems, makes you very sleepy so helps you sleep but be careful if you get up to use bathroom get up slowly. Also drinking Apple Cidar vinegar with honey read it helps RLS."

Sgroome (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2018

"I've been on Gabapentin for 2 years. The first 12 months I was on 4x 300mg/day for nerve pain; it worked. It was around the end of that first year that I "developed" RLS. I was prescribed Pramipexole & the RLS went away. Over the next 12 months, my Gabapentin dose was increased from 4 to 8/day due to worse nerve pain. Sadly, due to side effects, I had to come off Gabapentin; but the RLS returned! So, at first glance, it appears I need Pramipexole AND Gabapentin to stop the RLS but, due to the aforementioned side-effects, not possible! So, a larger dose of Pramipexole is on the cards. Sorry, this is a long-winded way of saying that I believe Gabapentin will help a huge number of people in keeping RLS at bay or at least reducing it."

Mike L (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 6, 2017

"I've been on Gabapentin for a couple years at bedtime. When it 1st started (8 yrs ago) I only got restless leg syndrome while sleeping. It would wake me up. For the past 5 years I get it mainly once I sit down for the night. Now as long as I can get up & walk or sway for a few minutes it usually goes away. I'm not really sure if it's working or not. I still usually get it at least once/every other day. Just glad it goes away once I get up now."

Kasp98 November 24, 2017

"I am male, white, 92 years old, very healthy, little exercize. Have had RLS for ~30 years when sedentary - reading, TV, trying to go to sleep. Six weeks ago our GP Rx 300mg gabapentin. I take one in early afternoon and it has worked like a charm. No side effects so far."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2017

"I've been taking Ropinirole HCL 1mg 3 times daily starting at 5:00 P.M. and another at around 7 and one more around 9 for years but it wasn't doing much for my restless legs. I can't sit for very long if I don't have it in my system. Even when driving I have the horrible jumping and restless legs. My doctor just recently put me on Gabapentin 300mg, one pill at bedtime. The first night I took it was great I finally had more than a few hours of sleep. But last night when I took one I didn't feel it was doing anything so I took another Gabapentin. Now I'm up after 2 hours of sleep and my legs are driving me crazy. I just took another Ropinirole so I hope I can calm down, I'm just so weary. Why is Gabapentin not doing anything? Right now I could just scream!"

marciblue1 (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2017

"I've been on "Gabi" for about 10 years, I'm 52 years old. It was miraculous that my RLS calmed down and became non existant. My Rx is is 2x300 mgs at dinner and the same dose before bed (1200 mgs total) These last few months I've been experiencing break through events. After reading many comments on here I may look at bumping my dose up to 900 mgs before bed and 300 at night. Has anyone here tried to do this and if so did you find it helpful."

Sir Kicksalot October 8, 2017

"I've been on 600mg gabapentin for RLS for a few years. Very effective. Cut back to 300mg 5 days ago. No RLS but OMG!! MAJOR CRYING SPELLS!! Horrible withdrawals! Sweating, intestinal issues, fatigue. Not going to increase at this point but advise a slower taper to those who plan to cut back."

Linda5050 September 27, 2017

"This drug was totally ineffective for restless leg syndrome. DR determined it would help. Dr was wrong."

ac; (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2017

"800 mg an hour before bed have eliminated my RLS . I had it bad , sleep was difficult and the desire to move and contract my leg muscles was maddening . Gabapentin at 800 mg cleared it up. I worked with my doctor and started at 300 and increased over time to 800. This works great for me."

Jim in Philly (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 7, 2017

"I have had RLS and insomnia since around age nine. I was 1st prescribed gabapentin after herniating a disc three years ago. Didn't notice any effect on my RLS, but I was so drugged up, I wouldn't have. I was prescribed it again as a sleep aid two months ago. I have been taking lorazepam for sleep for years, and wasn't thrilled about taking 2mg of a benzo every night. It works great for sleep, but I feel hung over the next day -- can't seem to clear the fog. I ran out of gabapentin and noticed, holy cow, my legs are driving me crazy. Only then did it occur to me - - I hadn't had any RLS symptoms since I started taking it. I thought I had made a major discovery. LOL. This is the only drug that has ever touched my RLS."

Joge (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2017

"Taking 900mg at night and it works a treat,it's been a real life changer"

Tim1750 July 30, 2017

"I have had RLS for most of my life. Gabapentin has been the only medication that has helped me with a good night's sleep. 600 mg. about an hour before bedtime and my legs calm down and I drift off to sleep. No next day after effects to report."

FiestaMM (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 15, 2017

"Yes I have had RLS since I was nine years old. Experts say that children cannot experience RLS, but I can remember it clearly when trying to sleep and at Saturday morning picture club! When I flew to Australia it was so bad I wanted to jump off the plane! I even get it in my arms. Now in my sixties and still a sufferer. I don't eat or drink after 6pm and only have one coffee at 8 in the morning. Last night was a bad night with it in my left leg and arms. I took two Gabapentin which is a greatfor relief and knocks me out. I cannot understand why there is no research into this awful condition. If I won the lottery I would fund research into a cure!"

Odeon July 7, 2017

"My many years of RLS stopped immediately with Gabapentin, I'm not crazy about the side affects ( I feel like a dizzy Zombie) Was prescribed for back pain, hasn't helped that at all, but OMG, a good nights sleep every night for the few weeks since I started taking it. 300 mg, 3 times a day. Probably needs to be much higher for the back/nerve pain."

Don M. (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2017

"I've had restless leg since I was 15 but doctors couldn't do anything till I was 21 when u stop growing I'm now 44 and lived with it for so long and tried differ meds and nothing helps I've now just started gabapentin yesterday so only on 100my at night for 2-3 days then go to taking in the morning and night for 2-3days then morning dinner and night for a month then go back doctors I am in l pain all day and night a specially when the weather is poor I also get in my arms"

Kerryn1 June 28, 2017

"Took it for restless leg syndrome. It's the only thing that has really worked."

Hendrix. (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 28, 2017

"I was put on gabapentin after two other meds were not working for my restless legs. All I can say is where has this med been my whole life. It really has helped me. I take 300mg at 5pm and 300 mg around 9pm and it helps with my restless legs. I also have suffered from severe back pain for several years which I suspect is a pinched nerve and since I have been on this med I have not had the debilitating pain I was having before starting this med. I do not know if this is from the med or not but I had read it helped other people's back pain so I suspect it is the med that has helped."

Mamasita1269 May 13, 2017

"Gabapentin has saved my sanity. I have severe RLS 24/7. All day, every day. No exception. Was put on Requip, which did nothing. I was then prescribed Gabapentin, and my legs immediately calmed down. I couldn't believe it! I was ecstatic! I feel like a normal person again. It has caused some dizziness, balance issues here and there, and cognitive issues as well. But, nothing I can't live with. I'm sure the symptoms will subside, since I've only been on this medication for about a week. But, it's worth it to stop that horrible feeling in my legs. I literally felt like I was going to lose my mind. This has been a miracle drug for me."

Dziner05 (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2017

"I've suffered with Restless Legs as long as I can remember. This has been life changing for me. Still get them occasionally but nowhere near as bad. The tablets also do not make me sleepy although I take at bedtime."

Laurajojo March 30, 2017

"Just starting to use my prescribed gabapentin for RLS.... I'll let you know how it goes! It'll be amazing if my stomach will even tolerate it!"

CrazyHealth (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 19, 2017

"I originally got Gabapentin for Nerve Pain in my neck and down my arm due to Arthritis damaging my spine. But I noticed that my Restless Leg problem I had for many years was also going away. That's when I read the drug was given specifically for restless leg syndrome. I mentioned this to my doctor and she said "yes it does". But what made me angry was when I specifically asked for something years earlier for the same thing, she wouldn't give me anything. Duh..."

MaxxOmega (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2017

"Hoping my experience may help those with both nerve pain and restless leg syndrome. I've been taking this medication now for about 3 yrs and am on 1800 mgs a day. I had back surgery (4 plates) my spine is like an accordion and can collapse at anytime. Anyway, it was prescribed for nerve pain originally. This medication also helps tremendously for my restless legs. As for the nerve pain it doesn't do anything for that anymore. I'm afraid the doctor will add another dose but want to stick to the minimum amount I can get away with. I do recommend it to people though it is a very helpful drug. The are some side effects that can be a nuisance for some though, if you can get past them the benefits are worth it."

JayjayVw (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 9, 2017

"300mg at nite in bed ... Sometimes 600mg..... Helps me sleep and no restless legs"

Windzy (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 5, 2017

"Good drug but watch out for withdrawal.4 days in bed awful. Talk to your doc to get low doses to taper off. This is an unpredictable drug I swear DO Not RUN OUT or you're introuble and get magnesium (nothing relaces this drug...nothing) god luck"

Legs o kicko November 5, 2016