User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 30 medications used in the treatment of Restless Legs Syndrome.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Restless Legs Syndrome

"I have had RLS for most of my life. Gabapentin has been the only medication that has helped me with a good night's sleep. 600 mg. about an hour before bedtime and my legs calm down and I drift off to sleep. No next day after effects to report."

FiestaMM (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Yes I have had RLS since I was nine years old. Experts say that children cannot experience RLS, but I can remember it clearly when trying to sleep and at Saturday morning picture club! When I flew to Australia it was so bad I wanted to jump off the plane! I even get it in my arms. Now in my sixties and still a sufferer. I don't eat or drink after 6pm and only have one coffee at 8 in the morning. Last night was a bad night with it in my left leg and arms. I took two Gabapentin which is a greatfor relief and knocks me out. I cannot understand why there is no research into this awful condition. If I won the lottery I would fund research into a cure!"

Odeon July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My many years of RLS stopped immediately with Gabapentin, I'm not crazy about the side affects ( I feel like a dizzy Zombie) Was prescribed for back pain, hasn't helped that at all, but OMG, a good nights sleep every night for the few weeks since I started taking it. 300 mg, 3 times a day. Probably needs to be much higher for the back/nerve pain."

Don M. (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had restless leg since I was 15 but doctors couldn't do anything till I was 21 when u stop growing I'm now 44 and lived with it for so long and tried differ meds and nothing helps I've now just started gabapentin yesterday so only on 100my at night for 2-3 days then go to taking in the morning and night for 2-3days then morning dinner and night for a month then go back doctors I am in l pain all day and night a specially when the weather is poor I also get in my arms"

Kerryn1 June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took it for restless leg syndrome. It's the only thing that has really worked."

Hendrix. (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on gabapentin after two other meds were not working for my restless legs. All I can say is where has this med been my whole life. It really has helped me. I take 300mg at 5pm and 300 mg around 9pm and it helps with my restless legs. I also have suffered from severe back pain for several years which I suspect is a pinched nerve and since I have been on this med I have not had the debilitating pain I was having before starting this med. I do not know if this is from the med or not but I had read it helped other people's back pain so I suspect it is the med that has helped."

Mamasita1269 May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Gabapentin has saved my sanity. I have severe RLS 24/7. All day, every day. No exception. Was put on Requip, which did nothing. I was then prescribed Gabapentin, and my legs immediately calmed down. I couldn't believe it! I was ecstatic! I feel like a normal person again. It has caused some dizziness, balance issues here and there, and cognitive issues as well. But, nothing I can't live with. I'm sure the symptoms will subside, since I've only been on this medication for about a week. But, it's worth it to stop that horrible feeling in my legs. I literally felt like I was going to lose my mind. This has been a miracle drug for me."

Dziner05 (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've suffered with Restless Legs as long as I can remember. This has been life changing for me. Still get them occasionally but nowhere near as bad. The tablets also do not make me sleepy although I take at bedtime."

Laurajojo March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just starting to use my prescribed gabapentin for RLS.... I'll let you know how it goes! It'll be amazing if my stomach will even tolerate it!"

CrazyHealth (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I originally got Gabapentin for Nerve Pain in my neck and down my arm due to Arthritis damaging my spine. But I noticed that my Restless Leg problem I had for many years was also going away. That's when I read the drug was given specifically for restless leg syndrome. I mentioned this to my doctor and she said "yes it does". But what made me angry was when I specifically asked for something years earlier for the same thing, she wouldn't give me anything. Duh..."

MaxxOmega (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hoping my experience may help those with both nerve pain and restless leg syndrome. I've been taking this medication now for about 3 yrs and am on 1800 mgs a day. I had back surgery (4 plates) my spine is like an accordion and can collapse at anytime. Anyway, it was prescribed for nerve pain originally. This medication also helps tremendously for my restless legs. As for the nerve pain it doesn't do anything for that anymore. I'm afraid the doctor will add another dose but want to stick to the minimum amount I can get away with. I do recommend it to people though it is a very helpful drug. The are some side effects that can be a nuisance for some though, if you can get past them the benefits are worth it."

JayjayVw (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"300mg at nite in bed ... Sometimes 600mg..... Helps me sleep and no restless legs"

Windzy (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Good drug but watch out for withdrawal.4 days in bed awful. Talk to your doc to get low doses to taper off. This is an unpredictable drug I swear DO Not RUN OUT or you're introuble and get magnesium (nothing relaces this drug...nothing) god luck"

Legs o kicko November 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"A must try for RLS Had RLS for 7 years and was always told it was in my head. After that long leaving my RLS it was getting worse and i was showing signs of depression so i booked myself in the docs (thought i would be put on anti-depressents) i was offered to try gabapentin first to get rid of the cause of depression symptoms. They made me feel drowsy, tierd and clumsy for about 2 weeks and started getting use to them. But i slowly noticed my legs wasnt driving me insaine! They was relaxing for once when my mind was relaxed my legs was too! I have been on them a few months now and it feels great to be able to sleep and not kick around all the time. I feel happier in myself and great to have my legs and brain comunicating properly"

Kicksy.girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started having RL at 15. Then I kept it to myself even when I would be up all night sometimes taking 5 hot baths bc I thought it was in my head. My Pdoc actually prescribed it because she had prescribed me adderall for ADD and it got SO bad. When mine hits it's literally like I want to claw/cut my legs off. kick them front to back, left to right, scratch them, hit them. Nothing helped. Gabapentin helped me immediately. To those of you who said it didn't help or it made you too sleepy... I was told to take mine at bedtime. Normally I take it 2-3 hours before. 900mgs. I gave it a 9 because I do have breakthrough spells, and bad clumsiness. Taking it 2-3 hours before makes me only be dizzy and clumsy before bed and not the next morning."

yourenotalone August 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine has been life changing! I was always told my rls is in my head and not real. It's just me being worried or nervous. Thankfully, I asked my dr. She told me, it's very real and asked my symptoms. They matched perfectly with all rls symptoms. I take Gabapentin before bed. It takes about 30 minutes to kick in, but when it does, I'm able to relax and sleep. When I get out of bed in the morning, my legs don't ache because I'm no longer moving them all night. Please seek medical help if you are struggling with rls. This medicine might not be for you, but whatever medicine works is worth it!!"

NatMarie73 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have severe restless leg, and have taken a succession of medication over the years, Requip, other medicines, baclofen, and gabapentin. I am now on 4- 20 baclofen, and 4 600 gabapentin. When I gert the right amount of medicine, I sleep. With out the right amount, I do not sleep. Life without sleep is VERRRRRY difficult. Yes I minimize my medications, but this seems to help, now."

daniel Post Polio April 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had bad rls. It went up my arms and down my legs .I am on lamictal 300mg once a day and trazodone 50mg at night. The trazodone seemed to make it worse. Mirapex did nothing to help the restlessness . As soon as I was prescribed neurontin, I felt better. 300mg x5 a day. I would recommend this drug for anyone with rls."

SamanthaK (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Good for sleeping and my RLS I take 300 at nite and it works!!"

Artzy March 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started taking gabapentin a couple months ago. Hate to take meds of any kind and am afraid of augmentin which I have had. I started on a low dose of gabapentin and increased it to 300mg at noon, and 300 mg. after dinner. In the evening I take ropinirole. After taking ropinirole I am up for at least 2-3 hours wrestling with my legs. Tonight I decided to skip ropinirole, and take another 300mg of gabapentin. Not sure yet if it will work. Going to bed soon. I am standing while writing this."

muskiebait February 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I first started experiencing restless leg when I was 17. I'm 23 now. I immediately went to the doctor as I was wanting to literally claw my face off and stab my leg multiple times. I was put on ropinirole 0.5, then 1, then 2. It began making me very anxious at night to the point I was extremely agitated. It increased my anxiety tremendously right before I was prescribed gabapentin. I have dexterscoliosis and osteoarthritis in my back affecting my sciatic nerve. It sucks for my nerve pain but works WONDERS for my restless leg. I love it. I currently take 600mg in the AM, and 900mg in the PM. The drowsiness is more at night vs in the AM but it still makes me quite drowsy. I don't care. As long as the RLS is gone!! "

Shelbaye January 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I can't describe how great the sleep is now that the RLS is gone."

tom2234 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 31, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I feel that this medication has given my life back to me. They increased my dosage to 600 mg's once in the morning and at night. Than 900 mg's at bedtime. I feel the medication has helped my anxiety and my RLS. I also noticed an increased in sex drive. Side effect maybe. But, not a bad one. Now, my RLS has gone down I feel I can better handle the daily effect's of it because it's not fun to have."

Jillian 005 December 30, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Suffered from severe RlS and hyperactivity for most of my life. It effects all of my immediate male family members and initially clonazepam was like a miracle cure. However I'm not happy taking benzodiazepines daily so i self - prescribed Gabapentin with my doctors knowledge. It works even better than the clonazepam and gives me absolutely amazing sleep too. Only drawback it can negatively effect my cognition so I have to get the balance right with the dosage. NHS have now agreed to prescribe."

Lawro83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am in my late 20's and have had restless legs since my late teens. I have been on Gabapentin now for about 2.5 years and it has been wonderful. RLS stopped almost immediately (to my memory). For whatever reason, the RLS comes back periodically and I have to tweak the dosage a bit. At first I increased (at the doc's request) but soon reached my 1800 maximum dosage, 600mg 3x day. When symptoms popped up again I stopped taking the GP all together; believing that it had stopped working. Later in desperation, I took some leftover GP and it worked again. Now I try to stay at a low 300mg dose and take another 300-600 if I feel that familiar RLS itch as I’m settling in."

NNAAMM November 10, 2015