User Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Neuropathic Pain

Also known as: Neurontin, Gralise, Gabarone, Fanatrex

Gabapentin has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 166 ratings for the treatment of Neuropathic Pain. 49% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 31% reported a negative effect.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

6.1/10 average rating

Compare all 13 medications used in the treatment of Neuropathic Pain.

Reviews for Gabapentin

Didi August 28, 2020

“Started on gabapentin 100mg 3 times a day in March 2020 had no feeling in my legs and feet and terrible pain in back. It helped a little. Now I am on 300mg 3 times a day and I am much better. Feeling back in legs and feet. Back occasionally painful. These have helped me so much. Side effects : nothing really. Sometimes cranky but then it could be my age 68. I am so grateful to my consultant. I at least can walk with sticks.”

Genie · Taken for less than 1 month January 13, 2020

“This drug has ruined my life. While it is meant to treat nerve pain, it had a paradoxical effect and caused nerve pain to spread over my entire body two days after taking it. I have now had nerve pain in my eyes, face, ears, and entire body for five months. I am not the first patient to report this. Simply check out the Gabapentin groups on Facebook and you’ll see how many peoples’ lives this drug has ruined. I am in pain 24/7 thanks to a drug meant to fix nerve pain. My doctors confirmed they have seen this reaction in patients. Doctors, please stop prescribing this. I stopped the drug after two weeks so it was not even a withdrawal; yet I have heard the same story over and over (patients develop full body nerve pain after several days on the drug that lasts months to years or more).”

Pace · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 13, 2020

“After a severe arm injury and three surgeries to repair my shattered bones, the nerve pain was extreme. There was so much damage that opioids like oxycodone did nothing. Even morphine didn't help!! Gabapentin at a high dosage -- 2400 mg a day -- has helped me a lot. Yes, I still have strange sensations, some numbness and stinging in my arm BUT the nerve pain is not controlling my life. Side effects are not too bad not too bad -- I can drive. No nausea, no dizziness. I do sleep much longer. Warning: If your dose isn't working, you MIGHT need it adjusted. I started on 900 mg a day and had no relief. The higher dose finally did the trick. Good luck to all, I never expected to be living in chronic pain, and now I know how hard this is.”

Chevy · Taken for 10 years or more May 13, 2020

“I have been on neurontin since 1999. Was 1800mg a day now on 900. Quit once because I was still in a lot of pain. OMG! Got back on after a week. Pain is more tolerable taking this. I've had over 70 broken bones and many surgeries too correct. All arthritic now. I will take this drug until my dying day!!”

Kf2332 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 26, 2020

“Took this drug gabapentin for back pain related to a herniated disc. Was on the medication for 3 months at 900mg per day and took me 9 months to get off due to extreme withdrawal/discontinuation symptoms. It’s been really hard and I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemies. Think before accepting a prescription for gabapentin.”

Anonymous September 19, 2019

“After over 12 months of trying a million different unsuccessful medication, expensive treatments and therapies I was prescribed Gabapentin for my chronic neck and back nerve pain. I've been on it for two weeks and it's a miracle, my pain has reduced probably around 80% and I can live with that! I also have had Fibromyalgia for 24 years and since taking Gabapentin I've had very little symptoms, though I haven't been taking it long enough to know how it manages the big flare ups I get when my immune system is challenged, so we'll see. But would definitely recommend this drug, no side effects and with regular light exercise and massage I am getting my life back again!!”

HollyBerryC · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 20, 2019

“I have been taking gabapentin for about 3 years for neuropathy pain & also restless leg syndrome. It has helped me enormously! I take (2) 300mg a few hours before bed, & I actually get a full nights sleep, instead of waking up every couple hours. I know one of the side effects is memory loss, but it is so slight for me. I could also toss that up to age too, though. I have noticed since I started taking it that I never remember any of my dreams (I used to remember them quite vividly, even days after) I really have no cons for this drug-it has worked very well for me”

Lizzy · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2020

“Hi. I have spine issue with cervical spinal stenosis and back pain and having numbness tingling and weakness in my arms and hands and in my feet sometimes. The meds is helping but not fully plus having unwanted side effects such as speaking problem, unsteadiness , drowsiness and sleep all morning so difficult to get up. Make me weak.”

Lynn October 6, 2019

“Yes gabapentin works for pain. I took for 6 years. But the withdrawal is worse physically and mentally than you could ever imagine and Drs are beyond uneducated on this! There is a support group of over 4,000 people dealing with it! Gabopentin (neurontin) Withdrawal support! I wished every Dr and patient would read! We do not let animals suffer like this!”

CrescentMoon · Taken for less than 1 month August 13, 2016

“I have been on pain medication for 10 years. I was in a horrible car accident and then later diagnosed with fibromyalgia. You know... That made up diagnosis where everyone treats you like you are crazy and you don't have chronic pain. I lived month by month, growing a ridiculous tolerance to pain meds, and popping them like candy to get through the day. I was ashamed of my opiate use and tried many times to stop. Only to be in terrible pain that made me beyond miserable. My whole body hurt. Every muscle, every bone. Finally I researched Gabapentin and asked my doctor to take me off all opiates. I stopped the opiates cold turkey...after 10 years of them. The gabapentin worked after 2 days. I am pain free and so thankful. It is amazing!!”

Knot · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2020

“I was prescribed 100 mg a day for tendonitis. At first, it was great, but then I had dizzy spells and blurred vision. After a few days, I broke the capsule open and removed half and took it in the morning. I had been quite short-tempered due to stress at work, and that immediately went away. My tendonitis is gone due to physical therapy and rest, but amazingly, this low dose has completely changed me into a person who isn't irritable all day. I can still focus on work, and I'm sleeping well.”

Jude January 15, 2020

“I had a case of shingles on my head and face and was given 300 mg of Gabapentin to take for the awful pain. It didn’t seem to help much but the nerve pain down my arm from a spinal injury that I'd had for a while, was gone. So my doctor kept me on it. No more migraines, very little nerve pain, muscles less inflamed and blood pressure down. I sleep well but feel very tired ALL the time. At 300 mg dose I was dizzy, stumbling, blurred vision and nauseated. Gained 14 pounds. So I have dropped back to 100 mg dose at night. I’ve been concerned about my driving because I do not feel as alert and my response time is slow. What has been really frightening however is that I have stopped breathing during the night and wake up in complete panic. I’m scared and trying to step back my usage. Already my shoulder muscles hurt and the nerve pain down my arm and in my hand is coming back.”

Werm · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2020

“Started with gabapentin one dose 100 mg and then was instructed to increase to 3 doses for back issues related to spinal stenosis (tingling, numb leg etc). I started noticing breathing issues when I sleep felt like I was taking an extra breath, then severe reflux, then diarrhea. I saw three specialist none made the connection I have decreased to one a day reflux is decreased and so is diarrhea.”

Rose · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2019

“I take Gabapentin for a pinched nerve from L1S5 disc degeneration. It helps with movement but I still have pain that travels down my right leg. I just want to be able to drive my car without extreme pain. I also get swelling in feet from Gabapentin. Anyone have similar experiences. If so what do you do? Thank you.”

nick · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2019

“I started on gabapentin three a day for a spine fractures and lots of pinch nerves and osteoporosis. It was like I got a fresh life I managed to walk the dogs, which I could never do. I felt a bit high at first and doctor says I go up in dose slowly. It's great improvement already.”

swmell March 13, 2019

“I was just recently prescribed Gabapentin first at 100mg 3 times a day but no relief really. Then doctor jump it up to 600 mgs three times a day which is the gabapentin dose that really works for me. It's really helping a lot. I woke up at 4am and it had been 6 hours since my last dose and OMG the pain was horrible. Took the pill and about 45 minutes later I felt so much better. So, 3x a day is not going to work, when at 6 hour period or less the pain becomes unbearable. Pinched nerve in shoulder and pain comes down my arm, severe pain at elbow and then goes down into my hands slightly. Top of hand is numb and pointer finger numb. I go to the orthopedic tomorrow to see what is causing this, then I have a massage therapist that was highly recommended later the same day. I pray this will get resolved and we can find the cause. I'm only 48 and in good health. This really makes me grateful as well that the gabapentin helps as there are so many people with severe chronic pain that will never go away and have to live with this type of pain or worse.”

Morrigan Tam · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 4, 2017

“My behavioral health specialist (a physician's assistant) had recommended I try Gabapentin for many years, before I finally agreed. My life has improved, plain and simple! Originally prescribed in an attempt to address my chronic insomnia issues, in that respect (like all the other traditional & nontraditional Rxs/otc aids I've tried), Gabapentin did not help.. or at least directly. It Has helped with my chronic nerve pain & occasional restless less syndrome, absolutely immeasurably. I could feel a gentle change down my sciatic nerve within the first couple of nights (100mg, bid, initially). I've been on it for over 6 months (currently 200mg, bid). If I forget to take it, I feel like I used to all the time: achy joints, shaky/spazzy/tense legs when lying down, slight chest discomfort (like an almost panic attack), numbness/tingling in my extremities, purple feet in the shower, just arthritic really- which makes me not a pleasant person & not want to do anything. Gabapentin has been really wonderful & a positive drug in my life, which I cannot say about many I've tried. If you skip it, you will feel like a truck hit you (which is how I used to feel all the time). Other things I take daily: • Potassium supplement, helpful against muscle cramps • Vitamin D3 (3k iu's), helpful for mood • Propranolol (10mg, 2-3x day), helpful against anxiety & involuntary phobic "fight or flight" reactions”

Vanillaslice · Taken for less than 1 month February 5, 2021

“I have been taking gabapentin for two weeks and it has been a wonder drug for me. The itching and tingling from shingles on my face has all but disappeared. I am sleeping better, I could not tolerate lyrica. I also have cervical dystonia and over the years have tried many drugs to ease muscle pain and tremors. This drug has eased all of the above. I hope I don’t have any side effects further down the track. I am coping better than I have for a long time.”

Percy · Taken for 10 years or more September 21, 2019

“This continues my earlier comment on this drug, which I have taken for over 19 years for relief of continuing pain resulting from a surgical open procedure in 2000 to repair an aneurysm in my descending aorta. It works. It recently became a controlled substance in VA for some reason (Schedule V) and my doctor wanted to simplify things by moving me to amitriptyline, 25 mg per day. I tried that for a week, but its side effects on me were unacceptable (mental dullness, weakness, mood, physical abilities including small motor control being lost-- I could barely write and sign a check!). I switched back to gabapentin last night and all those unwelcome side-effects of amitriptyline disappeared. At once. I cannot understand the favorable comments on amitriptyline as a pain reliever.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2020

“On Gabapentin for nerve pain at a dose of 2400mg a day. The NHS doctors only gave me 300mg a day went private, I saved up saw fibromyalgia specialist in London. London pain clinic tried for 2 years, with pall mall surgery in Essex 20 doctors only 4 helped a little, this was no good kept me in a lot of pain for years which was a waste of time and money and pain. If you are in pain I hope you don't go though this. My lawyers want me to make a case and complaint I only want to have a life .”

Pink Lily · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 29, 2014

“Nerve damage to my back occurred as a result of car accident. Nerve misfiring occurred. Electrical stabs of pain of varying degrees occurred randomly throughout my body. When falling asleep, electrical activity picked up such that I had to restrain my arms and legs and head. It took 3500mg/day to suppress the pain. No side effects. I sold my car and walked for years as my body gradually healed and the dosage required dropped eventually to zero. A second type of nerve pain coexisted that Neurontin did not touch, a burning pain that occurred all over my body. By chance (thx Docs) I discovered that Valium works very well in suppressing this type of nerve pain. Also might try a combo of Neurontin and med marijuana and walking.”

Random Task · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 4, 2019

“I began gabapentin 100mg nightly for nerve symptoms in my middle back after spine surgery. I was hopeful it would help me sleep and end the twitching. The first week I slept but had a headache. The second week I seemed to be adjusting. No more headaches and sleeping well. By the end of the third week my mouth was parched and I starving in the middle of the night so I stopped taking it. My appetite returned to normal and my mouth was no longer dried out. A short time later I experienced sciatica in my right leg so I tried gabapentin again. It helped the pain in my leg but after just three days on it I experienced horrific lumbar pain like I had been hit with a shovel. I discontinued use of gabapentin again. I could only take it as needed at bedtime, 100-200mg, for sciatica. Taking it during the day was not good for me as it caused me to become anxious after the med left my body. I took gabapentin sporadically for five months.”

Cat January 19, 2020

“I take 800 mg grams of gabapentin four times a day for severe nerve damage fibromyalgia and neuropathic pain I've been taking this for now 25 years and it no longer works my pain is getting worse and worse and I'm getting no relief what worries me is the neuropathic pain the severe nerve damage is never going to go away and I'm already on narcotics also for that which will get worse over time the pain anyway I was also prescribed amitriptyline 25 mg to take one before bed neither works.”

Sheegwa August 18, 2018

“I have Degenerative Disc Disease. For over 5 years I have tried everything to get my life back. Currently, I am taking Codeine 100 mg 2x, Trazadone 100 mg @night & Celebrex 200mg 2x and still in terrible pain. Five years of life slipping away & have bad sleep. My Doctor is always trying new meds to help me, but often I get a reaction or they make me too sleepy to work in the day. Finally, she gave me GABAPENTIN! I started low dose: 100 mg for 7 nights- with food! That is a must, then up by 100 mg & so on until my current dose of 400 mg. It has taken some adjustments with other meds, lowering the Trazadone because I was TOTALLY dopey in the morning! I have also been taking melatonin before bed to help me sleep through the pain. I don't need it anymore. I woke up one morning & realized my back didn't hurt! I only needed half the dose of Codeine that morning. I know that Gabapentin isn't for everyone, but try it. It's an investment in your pain recovery.”

Long Island Lady April 14, 2021

“This is very effective on my chronic nerve pain. I would love to continue taking this but I had some side effects that became increasingly troubling. The sleepiness was tolerable, but I couldn’t handle the short term memory loss. I’m generally a very well organized. At first I hoped that my memory issues would resolve themselves once my body adjusted to the dosage, however, I experienced the complete opposite. The recall became more and more sketchy, until I had no choice but to cease the Rx. My Dr weaned me off of the meds to confirm that it’s actually the cause of my recent issues. I’m going for a followup appointment in 2 days but I can say with certainty that I feel as if a fog has lifted. I was also experiencing sharp acute pains in my head. Very painful, but fortunately, very brief. They’d only last a few minutes and disappear as suddenly as they’d come”