User Reviews for Prednisone

Also known as: Deltasone, Liquid Pred, Meticorten, Orasone, Prednicen-M, Prednicot, Rayos, Sterapred, Sterapred DS

Learn more about Prednisone.

Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura 1 reviews 87 medications

Uveitis, Posterior 1 reviews 38 medications

Epicondylitis, Tennis Elbow 1 reviews 38 medications

Summary of Prednisone reviews 299 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Prednisone

For Gouty Arthritis: "I only use pred for gout when the pain is so bad I cant sleep, walk and am really struggling. Works great on reducing pain in a short time. Best to take in mornings to avoid sleepness nights! Short term use isnt too bad but I was on the things for nearly a year for ulcerative colitis and be warned side effects, withdrawal symptoms and damage to health can be horrendous"

James m uk September 22, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Went to Centra Care, 31 August,antibiotic, no help, 8 days later went to ER Hospital, 8 Sept , given z-pack 5 days, started feeling a little better but not right yet, super fatigue besides the regular Fibromyalgia, 12 Sept, go to Research Group Doctor, I am in for COPD, given Prednisone 20 mg for 5 days 2x's a day. 1st day that I felt good in over 4 weeks and only on one for a day right now. Thank you"

Jude of Saint Georges Court (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2016

For Allergic Reactions: "Put on it as a trial basis for an extreme allergic reaction. Before I could barely breathe, my face swelled, and my lips were massive. After taking it for one day my facial swelling is almost gone, I'm a little hungry, and it's causing some restlessness, but it's helping with the hives so much. Glad it's a trial basis and that it's working."

Kay22 (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2016

For Bullous Pemphigoid: "I took prednisonefor bullous pemphigoid four years ago. It took over six months to get diagnosed so it was bad by the time I started prednisone. At first the doctor tried CellCept, but that did not work. Prednisone immediately took care of the itching and a week or so for rash. It took a few months to be able to wean myself off it (I started at 60mg and was dropping successfully until I hit 20mg; after that, whenever I dropped, I would flare up, so I stayed at that level for something like two months). Now I only take it when I have serious flares, for only 3-4 days. As for side effects, I had insomnia, but not too bad; I did not gain weight, but my stomach did increase in size. I am perfectly willing to put up with that for the relief."

Highly effective (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 11, 2016

For Lichen Planus: "I had 8week course of pred..while it erased my lichen rash it made me gain weight my face was unrecognisable(fat) and i constantly was eating...also i dont know if anyone felt tipsy on these meds? I began being clumsy and couldnt sleep, after 8 weeks of taking 4 days after stopping, rash came back, was told take 1 a day!!!! Still on them...but now im getting bad joint pains /depression and short fuse(mood swings..excessive sweating"

ALEEMA (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2016

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I've been on prednisone over a year at 10mg/day and last 3 month at 20mg/day. This is a really dangerous m"

J-p (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 4, 2016

For Lichen Planus: "I took prednisone twice for my lichen planus. the 1st time it worked great, a lot of my plaque areas cleared up and went away, however anytime I was experiencing stress, a change in other medications, anxiety ect, I broke out in new sites. The 2nd time I took prednisone I experienced severe side effects. It caused a perforation in my bowel, stomach and lower intestine. I also got a abscess under my liver that had to be tubed. I spent 6 days in the hospital and was given a PIC line for administration of IV antibiotic Zosyn every 6 hrs for 30 days after release from the hospital. (that then gave me c difficile, not once but TWICE.) It did help with my lichen planus, but the side effects for me greatly outweighed its successes."

Stephany K September 1, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "Every time I take it I feel like the me before Fibro. I was doagnosed 3 years ago. I have had prednisone maybe 5 times now but only for a few week my primary doctor wont give it to me long term to may risks. So in Dec. When I see my RA dr I am asking for it long term. The benifits out weight the benefits. I have three kids and a "possible" early death and bad side effect are minor compared to my kids not having a full functioning mommy now. They are to little for me to be bed ridden or a having these horrible flares and missing their T ball games. I want them to have good memories of me not memories of me being sick."

Nitsirk85 August 30, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have stiffness in lower back, pain in neck area, hips for many years but the pain is tolerable. I also get periodic muscle stabs of pain followed by a twitch like when you fall asleep. From time to time the pain would get bad and I would need to take pain medications. Narcotics never worked but Toradol would work good BUT when I had a allergic reaction to the Toradol with hives and itching and went to the ER they gave me prednisone. Within two days of taking the prednisone I had SO MUCH energy and was pain FREE. I felt like I was 20 years old again. I had ambition to get things done. I felt SO good. I felt like I discovered the fountain of youth. Don't know if it is coincidence but I never had the pain until I contracted HSV."

Rainna (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2016

For Inflammatory Conditions: "My girlfriend just finished prednisone for hand inflammation. Today she woke to severe body aches. Tears in her eyes. We tried benedryl but little help. I gave her coconut water we got from Whole Foods last week. She had immediate relief. Not sure if it was the water. She is still having the pains in her joints, especially knees, and muscles. Then pain is worse after she stands. So many posts here about the problem. I hope this post offers someone else a chance at a possible solution. The coconut water has 30o mg of potassium. It also has calcium, sodium,and magnesium."

Philndawn August 21, 2016

For Inflammatory Conditions: "Memory Loss"

JOYROY (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I was diagnosed at age 19 I am now 47 years old. I have been on so many medications and research studies over the yrs and I don't think anything really works. I just started a 5 day dose of Prednisone today and I am hoping for relief. I spend my life planning around this disease and how far from a bathroom I am. I hate it!"

Uc suffer August 19, 2016

For Ulcerative Colitis: "Currently on my 2nd round for a 'flare' in my colitis......first time worked it's magic so quickly I couldn't believe it (started at 20mg for a week, reducing by 5mg each week). This time, I've been taking 20mg per day constantly and, although symptoms have improved slightly, I'm still suffering from urgency, diarrhoea and stomach cramps. I don't seem to be experiencing any side effects as yet but have another 2 weeks to go until I'm back to see the hospital consultant. Really don't want to be taking this for a day longer than I need to. Also taking Azathiroprine"

Pilotmum August 19, 2016

For Inflammatory Conditions: "Started on prednisone about 15 years ago along with 500mg of naproxen 2x daily to control RA. My dr started weening me off the prednisone a year ago when I had a heart attack and was taken off all nsaids. I was down to 2mg a day when I was hospitalized with gall bladder surgery. With no help for pain the RA is flared up and I am back on prednisone. A good med."

Revjoh (taken for 10 years or more) August 16, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Got prescribed this with an antibiotic for sinusitis. Felt better the first day but as i continued the meds, i noticed severe anxiety, moodiness and sweating.my brother also says ive been talking excessively, so the racing mind is probably a side effect. I have 5 more days to go with the prednisone. The prescription was for 10 days."

Alison93 August 12, 2016

For Inflammatory Conditions: "I have been taking prednisone for a rare condition, Tolosa-Hunt Syndrome. When I was diagnosed, I had severe double vision (Both eyes were affected.). I also had fatigue and dizziness. And, did I mention the headaches. I have been on prednisone for 2.3 years. I have gotten down to 5 mg/0 mg on alternating days only to relapse both times. With the right diet and exercise program, most of the physical side affects of the prednisone, if it is low dose, can be eliminated. In the last year, I have dropped 32lbs, and look damn good for a 42 year old woman. The downside is that I have not been able to get off of the meds. The upside is that it helps me live a normal life. I can't live with horrible headaches and double vision."

Mamoumudbug August 3, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I was diagnosed with PMR in early 2012 after an overnight onset in late 2011. I had back surgery in Dec 2011 and thought that had been my problem when I woke up pain free. Unfortunately it took only 3 days for the steroids in the meds at surgery to wear off and the pain returned with a vengeance. I was diagnosed with the PMR and given 20 mg daily of prednisone and started to immediately taper off. After 4 years and transfer to Mayo clinic I still am fighting to stay off the prednisone. After a week I begin to have hand pain, 10 days begins the arm muscle pain, 14 days and the stiff neck shoulder pain. At 4 weeks all muscles and joints ache but no one has diagnosed it as fibromyalgia. Small relief fro 800 mg advil daily. is this fibromya"

Katwise August 1, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on low dose Prednisone for 32 years. My RA started 2 years before Methotrexate and I was totally disabled for 2 years until I got in on clinical trials of MTX. The prednisone helped me get through flare ups and bad times. I would increase the dosage for a couple of days and ease the pain. Now I take 5mg a day every day to maintain myself. Now I am on disability due to my hands which are severely deformed. When you have experienced the effects of severe crippling Rheumatoid Arthritis, the pain of not being able to function at any level. You will do anything to relieve that pain. "

detchas July 30, 2016

For Allergic Reactions: "Taken for severe hives, rash, itching. Allergic to the world. However it has also made my joint pain so much better, places I didn't realize were that swelled up! Now I'm wondering what else is going on. Good experience this time around. Was on 60mg/day for 5dys"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have a hip injury. I was given a high dose of hip cortisone injection. The next day I was pain free through out my body! I forgot what it felt like to be human. The systemic symptoms slowly returned after about 3-4 wks. I saw a RA doc who R/O RA. Now am waiting to see fibromyalgia doctor but I am hoping to get a mediation I can take permenateoy to get this same relief. Been dealing with this horrible pain since Jan 2016. Which a great deal stress had been thrown on me. Help!!"

Alc2018 July 20, 2016

For Asthma: "I have had fairly sever asthma all of my life, and prednisone does the trick each time my symptoms become unmanageable with a rescue inhaler. While the side effects are unpleasant at times, they are not long lasting and worth it to be able to breathe again. I get irritable, flushed in the face, and a bit bloated. I have never had to take this more than six days, so this goes away once I finish the medicine."

Katie1102 July 19, 2016

For Inflammatory Conditions: "I chose not to take any medicine for my lower back problem any longer than 1 day. My chiropractor operates their office as a drug free office and has been providing me physical therapy for about 3 months now. It's really working. I strongly suggest that if you haven't considered chiropractic therapy you should get evaluated. One of my best friends was taking Prednisone for several months and now she's been diagnosed with leukemia. Her health is going down hill. Many people don't realize the long term affect of using this medicine can far outweigh the problem. It can affect your liver, spleen, and can compromise your immune system, making you susceptible infections. My doctor says you should really only be prescribed no more that 2 week."

FT3308 July 17, 2016

For Gouty Arthritis: "I started writing a novel based off my experiences with gout and the different medications I took for them,and ran out of room. So here is the short version. I hate Indomethacin and colchicine with a passion. So much so, this last attack had me crawling on my hands and knees, and I refused to take the stuff. I lasted a month and Today I went in. By chance my Doctor was out ill. The new Doctor looked at it and prescribed prednisone and started me on allopurinol. I have heard of prednisone before and was eager to try it. I'm sticking with the new doctor. This drug is amazing. I dont believe in miracle drugs, but this is damn close. After 8 hours of taking my first dose, 80-90 percent of the pain is gone. Screw Indomethacin!!!!!!!!!!"

I hate Gout July 14, 2016

For Lichen Planus: "I'm a 37 years old and I have had "heat rash" since I was a young child. My body is usually covered in bumps from spring to fall. I have been prescribed lotions and steroid creams which usually just helps with the itching. Since there was a warm weather I started breaking out in December and because of travel to hot places my body was covered in bumps by February. So in May I saw a new dermatologist, she did a biopsy for lichen planus and placed me on prednisone. I took a 20 day dose and within a few days the texture and size change. Also some disappeared and there was no more irritation. I've been off prednisone for 2 weeks now and I've have started to breakout and the irritation has started back."

VJen (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2016

For Skin Rash: "I has the worst poison ivy reaction from cleaning my yard on June 25 .. First I was prescribed an antibiotic them a steroid cream.. finally the mass general hospital prescribed me this medication and was in my first full day of being goes my rash went away I feel completely better ... I'm on 4-10 mg tablets daily then down to 3-3 days and 2-2 days and 1-1 day and I don't know what I would have done with out this medication. Abusing it would be scary but I haven't had any bad or noticable side effects besides my back hurts..."

Steph856 July 10, 2016