User Reviews for Prednisone

Also known as: Deltasone, Liquid Pred, Meticorten, Orasone, Prednicen-M, Prednicot, Rayos, Sterapred, Sterapred DS

Learn more about Prednisone.

Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura 1 reviews 87 medications

Uveitis, Posterior 1 reviews 38 medications

Epicondylitis, Tennis Elbow 1 reviews 38 medications

Summary of Prednisone reviews 290 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Prednisone

For Inflammatory Conditions: "My girlfriend just finished prednisone for hand inflammation. Today she woke to severe body aches. Tears in her eyes. We tried benedryl but little help. I gave her coconut water we got from Whole Foods last week. She had immediate relief. Not sure if it was the water. She is still having the pains in her joints, especially knees, and muscles. Then pain is worse after she stands. So many posts here about the problem. I hope this post offers someone else a chance at a possible solution. The coconut water has 30o mg of potassium. It also has calcium, sodium,and magnesium."

Philndawn August 21, 2016

For Inflammatory Conditions: "Memory Loss"

JOYROY (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I was diagnosed at age 19 I am now 47 years old. I have been on so many medications and research studies over the yrs and I don't think anything really works. I just started a 5 day dose of Prednisone today and I am hoping for relief. I spend my life planning around this disease and how far from a bathroom I am. I hate it!"

Uc suffer August 19, 2016

For Ulcerative Colitis: "Currently on my 2nd round for a 'flare' in my colitis......first time worked it's magic so quickly I couldn't believe it (started at 20mg for a week, reducing by 5mg each week). This time, I've been taking 20mg per day constantly and, although symptoms have improved slightly, I'm still suffering from urgency, diarrhoea and stomach cramps. I don't seem to be experiencing any side effects as yet but have another 2 weeks to go until I'm back to see the hospital consultant. Really don't want to be taking this for a day longer than I need to. Also taking Azathiroprine"

Pilotmum August 19, 2016

For Inflammatory Conditions: "Started on prednisone about 15 years ago along with 500mg of naproxen 2x daily to control RA. My dr started weening me off the prednisone a year ago when I had a heart attack and was taken off all nsaids. I was down to 2mg a day when I was hospitalized with gall bladder surgery. With no help for pain the RA is flared up and I am back on prednisone. A good med."

Revjoh (taken for 10 years or more) August 16, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Got prescribed this with an antibiotic for sinusitis. Felt better the first day but as i continued the meds, i noticed severe anxiety, moodiness and sweating.my brother also says ive been talking excessively, so the racing mind is probably a side effect. I have 5 more days to go with the prednisone. The prescription was for 10 days."

Alison93 August 12, 2016

For Inflammatory Conditions: "I have been taking prednisone for a rare condition, Tolosa-Hunt Syndrome. When I was diagnosed, I had severe double vision (Both eyes were affected.). I also had fatigue and dizziness. And, did I mention the headaches. I have been on prednisone for 2.3 years. I have gotten down to 5 mg/0 mg on alternating days only to relapse both times. With the right diet and exercise program, most of the physical side affects of the prednisone, if it is low dose, can be eliminated. In the last year, I have dropped 32lbs, and look damn good for a 42 year old woman. The downside is that I have not been able to get off of the meds. The upside is that it helps me live a normal life. I can't live with horrible headaches and double vision."

Mamoumudbug August 3, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I was diagnosed with PMR in early 2012 after an overnight onset in late 2011. I had back surgery in Dec 2011 and thought that had been my problem when I woke up pain free. Unfortunately it took only 3 days for the steroids in the meds at surgery to wear off and the pain returned with a vengeance. I was diagnosed with the PMR and given 20 mg daily of prednisone and started to immediately taper off. After 4 years and transfer to Mayo clinic I still am fighting to stay off the prednisone. After a week I begin to have hand pain, 10 days begins the arm muscle pain, 14 days and the stiff neck shoulder pain. At 4 weeks all muscles and joints ache but no one has diagnosed it as fibromyalgia. Small relief fro 800 mg advil daily. is this fibromya"

Katwise August 1, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on low dose Prednisone for 32 years. My RA started 2 years before Methotrexate and I was totally disabled for 2 years until I got in on clinical trials of MTX. The prednisone helped me get through flare ups and bad times. I would increase the dosage for a couple of days and ease the pain. Now I take 5mg a day every day to maintain myself. Now I am on disability due to my hands which are severely deformed. When you have experienced the effects of severe crippling Rheumatoid Arthritis, the pain of not being able to function at any level. You will do anything to relieve that pain. "

detchas July 30, 2016

For Allergic Reactions: "Taken for severe hives, rash, itching. Allergic to the world. However it has also made my joint pain so much better, places I didn't realize were that swelled up! Now I'm wondering what else is going on. Good experience this time around. Was on 60mg/day for 5dys"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have a hip injury. I was given a high dose of hip cortisone injection. The next day I was pain free through out my body! I forgot what it felt like to be human. The systemic symptoms slowly returned after about 3-4 wks. I saw a RA doc who R/O RA. Now am waiting to see fibromyalgia doctor but I am hoping to get a mediation I can take permenateoy to get this same relief. Been dealing with this horrible pain since Jan 2016. Which a great deal stress had been thrown on me. Help!!"

Alc2018 July 20, 2016

For Asthma: "I have had fairly sever asthma all of my life, and prednisone does the trick each time my symptoms become unmanageable with a rescue inhaler. While the side effects are unpleasant at times, they are not long lasting and worth it to be able to breathe again. I get irritable, flushed in the face, and a bit bloated. I have never had to take this more than six days, so this goes away once I finish the medicine."

Katie1102 July 19, 2016

For Inflammatory Conditions: "I chose not to take any medicine for my lower back problem any longer than 1 day. My chiropractor operates their office as a drug free office and has been providing me physical therapy for about 3 months now. It's really working. I strongly suggest that if you haven't considered chiropractic therapy you should get evaluated. One of my best friends was taking Prednisone for several months and now she's been diagnosed with leukemia. Her health is going down hill. Many people don't realize the long term affect of using this medicine can far outweigh the problem. It can affect your liver, spleen, and can compromise your immune system, making you susceptible infections. My doctor says you should really only be prescribed no more that 2 week."

FT3308 July 17, 2016

For Gouty Arthritis: "I started writing a novel based off my experiences with gout and the different medications I took for them,and ran out of room. So here is the short version. I hate Indomethacin and colchicine with a passion. So much so, this last attack had me crawling on my hands and knees, and I refused to take the stuff. I lasted a month and Today I went in. By chance my Doctor was out ill. The new Doctor looked at it and prescribed prednisone and started me on allopurinol. I have heard of prednisone before and was eager to try it. I'm sticking with the new doctor. This drug is amazing. I dont believe in miracle drugs, but this is damn close. After 8 hours of taking my first dose, 80-90 percent of the pain is gone. Screw Indomethacin!!!!!!!!!!"

I hate Gout July 14, 2016

For Lichen Planus: "I'm a 37 years old and I have had "heat rash" since I was a young child. My body is usually covered in bumps from spring to fall. I have been prescribed lotions and steroid creams which usually just helps with the itching. Since there was a warm weather I started breaking out in December and because of travel to hot places my body was covered in bumps by February. So in May I saw a new dermatologist, she did a biopsy for lichen planus and placed me on prednisone. I took a 20 day dose and within a few days the texture and size change. Also some disappeared and there was no more irritation. I've been off prednisone for 2 weeks now and I've have started to breakout and the irritation has started back."

VJen (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2016

For Skin Rash: "I has the worst poison ivy reaction from cleaning my yard on June 25 .. First I was prescribed an antibiotic them a steroid cream.. finally the mass general hospital prescribed me this medication and was in my first full day of being goes my rash went away I feel completely better ... I'm on 4-10 mg tablets daily then down to 3-3 days and 2-2 days and 1-1 day and I don't know what I would have done with out this medication. Abusing it would be scary but I haven't had any bad or noticable side effects besides my back hurts..."

Steph856 July 10, 2016

For Asthma: "I am chronic asthmatic and have to take prednisolone on average at least once a month (8 tablets a day for 7 days). Sometimes i cant walk from my bed to my bathroom for a wee i cant breathe that much. But after taking peednisolone, within the next few hours i can walk every time. However, i have raging mood swings, my back teeth have crumbled out from taking too many tablets, my bones are weak and i am always hungry. But without them i wouldn't be able to breathe. Luckily i live in the UK and we have the NHS x"

Charball (taken for 10 years or more) July 1, 2016

For COPD: "Have had to use prednisone for many reasons ..I believe it's a miracle drug..a life saver!! But with bad side effects... and shouldn't be taken for long periods of time .. I suffer from COPD, psoriasis, and cirrhosis of the liver.. I should be 6 ft. under at the age of 68 with all my issues but like I said prednisone is helping me to live day to day!!!"

1212134 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 1, 2016

For Inflammatory Conditions: "Low back pain radiating down legs and shoulder pain. I have been in severe pain since injuring my back in 2007. I worked in construction and have injured my lower back several times. MRI revealed bulging disc from L1 to L5 and shoulder pain is from years of heavy work. I have been going to pain clinics since 2008 and although I take pain medication it does little to relieve the pain. My PCP prescribed Prednisone tablets for 20 days along with a shot to start with. Within three days my pain had decreased and within a week I was almost pain free. For the first time in years I spent a week without pain medicine. I took the last of the prednisone last week and the pain in my lower back and shoulder returned yesterday and by this morning I am using a walker again."

Darelmac (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

For Gouty Arthritis: "I first experienced gout 22 years ago in one of my big toes. Suffered through that attack and a few years later I experienced a few more attacks. Eventually went to a doctor and was diagnosed as gout. As the years passed, I had attacks in various joints. I would get pain in one ankle, then it would move to the other ankle or one of my knees. The pain would luckily ocate in only one joint at a time. In the fall of 2014, I had an attack so bad on my knee that image repeated trips to the medical clinic and received shots of Decadron and prednisone packs for treatment. The pain would go away only to return 2-3 weeks later. Made 4 total visits during that period. Just yesterday, I had to go back for treatment from an acute attack."

JCINGA (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I have very frequent bouts of sinusitis with general associated dizziness. Over the last 2 years I've had way too many scripts for Antibiotics (which eventually didn't work anymore) so the doc has occasionally suggested Prednisolone. Did this in December and after a few days all good! Right now in June I'm in trouble again so again on the Pred and tapering down over a week, but I avoid it at night cos it keeps me awake. I'm feeling almost alive again today. Hopefully I'll be out of the woods again soon!"

Wenno June 19, 2016

For Gouty Arthritis: "Does away with the worst pain and inflammation I've ever felt in as few as 6 hours. 50 milligram dose works wonders."

Kboyer (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2016

For Allergic Reactions: "I had a severe itch for almost a month. The doctor couldn't make a formal diagnosis. I had red itchy spots all over me and I was MISERABLE. I was prescribed a predisone pack of 21 pills 10mg to take over a span of 5 or 6 days and by the third day the itching and scratching had subsided tremendously. I'm not sure if it was an allergic reaction to something I came in contact with as I have never had a problem like this before. This medicine truly saved me...It did make me have an appetite but since it took care of my problem that issue was insignificant."

foxsays (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2016

For Inflammatory Conditions: "I had a choking/allergic reaction where my throat swelled as well as my vocal chords, it was scary but I'm glad it happened because I was living with a lot of pain that the Prednisone helped from a bike accident as well as other issues. I just took it for 5 days & I did take a 5 mg about 3 weeks later as a maintenance dose. As far as the anxiety goes my body adjusted to that after a couple days then it dissipated once I stopped taking it. I did gain 6 lbs & hit kept me awake first couple nights. The positive out weighs the side effects for me especially with a short term dosage"

Florida Al (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2016

For Eczema: "I understand the severe side effects. However, as one who has suffered from severe asthma and eczema, as well as intolerable skin itching in general, my entire life, I look at prednisone as a miracle drug. It allows me to breathe, stops the skin itching, and clears my skin up quickly. If there is another drug that will accomplish these goals, I would definitely give it a try. I am 47 years old, and all of my issues were considered "childhood illnesses" that would eventually disappear. Unfortunately they never did. At my age I've learned to greet the doctor with "yes, I understand the side effects. In my case, the benefits outweigh the risks. If there is a new wonderdrug I should know about, let's give it a go!""

Petmom (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016