User Reviews for Prednisone

Also known as: Rayos

Prednisone has an average rating of 7.6 out of 10 from a total of 691 ratings on Drugs.com. 70% of those users who reviewed Prednisone reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Inflammatory Conditions
Aspiration Pneumonia
Summary of Prednisone reviews 7.6 691 reviews

Reviews for Prednisone

Maddzo · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2021

For Skin Rash: “I’ve taken one 25mg tablet and it’s taken the redness away but insane itching and burning my feet have swollen and doubled in size and I can’t sleep and my mood has been very affected within 24hrs of taking this tablet. I will be consulting my doctor this morning about it everything is SO ITCHY and everything’s burning. Cosmetically helped but symptoms (eg. burning, itchiness, swelling.) has still occurred.”

tugcapt752 May 5, 2021

For Aspiration Pneumonia: “Always helps with the breathing, can't stand the attitude issues that go along with it and the headaches. Recently Dr added IV dexamethasone and that was ridiculous. I don't believe he researched any drug interactions in my file. No more steroids period.”

TB · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2021

For Psoriasis: “Tried it for a 5 day course for severe psoriasis. No improvement.”

Tez March 11, 2020

For Skin Rash: “I've done the Prednisone treatment for severe Poison Ivy twice in my life, around 30 years ago and right now. In both instances the rashes and blistering were severe and my skin was screaming for relief from the itching. Both times, the Prednisone effect took up to 6 hours to become noticeable, but once that started the relief became incremental, albeit slowly, The rashes and blisters started to slowly dry after 12 hours or so, with the redness and swelling becoming noticeable less after 18 hours. Any sort of warmth on my arms (where the contact occurred) for another couple of days seemed to bring back the redness and worsen the itching, but holding them under cold tap water for a while would stop that. After the 3rd dose (72 hours) I didn't even think about the rashes and blisters nor the itching and the tough part was reminding myself to finish out the dosage. The dosage per day (mg) was: 40-40-40, 30-30-30, 20-20-20, 10-10-10 (12 days)”

Vagaslanski December 22, 2019

For Skin Rash: “I was prescribed 50mg Prednisone once a day very early in the morning for 5 days. My rash was severe. After day 2 I noticed a difference and the rash.. after day 5....is just visible under my skin. I had no side effects. Slept fine. Ate fine. Was not super thirsty. No stomach problems. I feel like I have been saved!!!!”

detchas July 30, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been on low dose Prednisone for 32 years. My RA started 2 years before Methotrexate and I was totally disabled for 2 years until I got in on clinical trials of MTX. The prednisone helped me get through flare ups and bad times. I would increase the dosage for a couple of days and ease the pain. Now I take 5mg a day every day to maintain myself. Now I am on disability due to my hands which are severely deformed. When you have experienced the effects of severe crippling Rheumatoid Arthritis, the pain of not being able to function at any level. You will do anything to relieve that pain. ”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 3, 2012

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in January of 2012, I tried several medications prescribed by my doctor but nothing helped, I got to where I couldn't even get out of bed, couldn't even turn a door nob so I was a prisoner in my own house, I started taking Prednisone three weeks ago and feel like a new person, no pain at all anywhere. I don't care about any side effects, just to be able to live normally again is worth it to me. For now it has changed my life for the better.”

39with back of a 90 year old · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2019

For Inflammatory Conditions: “For the last 6 years I have had issues with my back going out to the point I could not walk. Protocol was get a script of flexeril and sleep for three days still hunched over in pain. This time at the local orthopedic urgent care the Dr asked had I ever had a steroid in conjunction with flexeril. I said no. Took it immediately, next morning 80% better did some stretches, the following day no pain I could walk straight and I am now at day 3 pain free. This NEVER happens when my back goes out.. it is usually a week long struggle. Miracle drug.”

bekris January 6, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I am in my 60s and the pain in shoulders, hips, hands and knees was so invasive, I had problems sleeping and getting out of bed in the morning. After some research, (I was originally diagnosed with arthritis), I found my symptoms matched the condition of Polymyalgia Rheumatica exactly. My physician accommodated me with a 20mg. prescription for prednisone. After two doses, my months-long battle with pain was completely over. I literally felt as if I'd been born again in the physical sense. For me, this medication was miraculous. Fortunately, I have not suffered any of the side effects such as swelling, etc. Tapering off the medication, I've found that 5mg. is my threshold dose. Under that, the symptoms come back.”

vonwoomer · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 23, 2021

For Inflammatory Conditions: “Have been on prednisone almost 3 years. To me it is a miracle drug for the many conditions (knee osteoarthritis, allergic bronchitis (COVID) breathing problems), possible adrenal gland insufficiency, prostate enlargement, intestinal bowel syndrome), I have had. I have had to go to an out of country pharmacy as most doctors will not use in long term. I have experimented on dosage, frequency, etc. Have tapered off several times just to have my quality life lessen and pain recurring. Currently on 20 mg a day as this dosage is 'ideal' for my conditions. I am fully aware of the side effects, dangers, weight gain, sleeplessness, bone density reduced, etal, adrenal gland atrophy, but life is a risk and I would rather has a quality of life better than just surviving.”

Td35 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 8, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was diagnosed almost 3 years ago with RA ..I was in crippling pain I started on 20 mg a day until flares got under control .. I now take plaquenil and 5 mg prednisone and feel like a human again and my rheumy wants me off the prednisone..I don't get it a patient feels great why take the relief away...small things in life make me happy ..walking,working and getting out of bed on my own.. I think it is a miracle drug”

Daisy January 24, 2020

For Fibromyalgia: “I have been on prednisolone for many years. I was bedridden and friends had to do everything for me. After trying a low dose , the improvement was very quick. However over the years I have gradually had to increase the dose to be able to function after being diagnosed with fibromyalgia and Hashimotos. I am presently on 10 mg per day and sometimes ( when I've got a virus or have overdone things) I increase to 12 or 15, but try and return to 10mg ASAP . My rheumatologist has said to try and reduce to 7 and a half mg. I am not overweight. And as far as I can tell I have not " suffered" from taking prednisolone. I do have osteoporosis. ) but I've had that for many years and I believe that started because I had undiagnosed Coeliac disease and thyroid issues which can cause that. I eat a very healthy low sugar/ carb diet I still struggle with energy and pain but try to pace myself so as to cope with life. I hope this helps someone.”

Kayla · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2019

For Skin Rash: “I had a very severe poison ivy rash that started out the size of a dime and rapidly spread within days to both my legs, calves, thighs, hands and face. No creams or ointments helped, it kept spreading and was very angry looking. It was so bad that the blisters were draining/dripping down my legs . I ended up going to the doctor and he prescribed me Prednisone . This is no lie — within MINUTES of taking this medication I could feel the itching and terrible burning finally relieve itself! Then only 6 HOURS LATER the redness surrounding the blisters was GONE! 12 hours later I took my next recommended dosage and the swelling and open sores were closed and looked nearly healed by night time. The 2nd day I had zero itching, burning or pain and the rash has dramatically healed. It’s half the size as yesterday and I have no pain at all. This stuff is awesome and I will never go without it whenever I find myself in trouble with poison ivy.”

still going June 9, 2011

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I am 77 and have taken prednisone since I was 28. When first diagnosed I was told to take 10 aspirin in the morning and 10 in the evening. Really tough going with many serious side effects. Later I was prescribed prednisone and I knew it was a miracle medicine for me. I could hold an egg without dropping it and walk without extreme pain. Now I am on 5mg Prednisone with Methotrexate and Remicade. I am so happy to have quality of life with quantity due to the wisdom of the Rheumatologist!”

tezza · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2019

For Eczema: “I am 55 and have used prednisone 4 times now, some of the doses were for approx 3 weeks and weaning off on a low amount taking every other day towards the end. Each time it has worked wonders and my skin managed to stay clear for sometime. I had no side effects. This week my skin was so bad, itchy puffy eyes, arms so uncomfortable I could hardly type at work, and severely affecting my sleeping. I have been prescribed with 3 days of 30mg as a short sharp dose. Within hours I felt better and my skin is clearing up, feeling and looking better. This is a shorter dose that my previous times and no weaning off time but maybe thats because its only 3 days. I think its marvellous and such a revelation to feel "normal" . No one can understand how eczema feels unless they have it .”

Ms Loretta · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2017

For Inflammatory Conditions: “I suffered with sciatic nerve pain for two weeks. It hurt to sit or lay down. The doctor ordered muscle relaxers, which made me very drowsy and I slept 14 hours at a time. I was starting to consider surgery when my primary doctor became unavailable, his replacement immediately ordered Prednisone. By the end of the first day, the pain started to subside. By the end of the third day, it was completely gone. I continued to take the meds as prescribed until finished. I would recommend this product to anyone. My blood pressure was elevated, due to the pain, and I believe Prednisone saved my life.”

It CAN be ok, really. · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2014

For Inflammatory Conditions: “I'd heard terrible things about prednisone and elected to not take it when it was prescribed last year for a running injury. I injured my back last week and could not move without shooting pain. I was prescribed 60mg of prednisone for 5 days as well as a muscle relaxer and hydrocodone. I was very apprehensive because I'm prone to anxiety attacks and had heard that prednisone can make you anxious. I was in enough pain I was willing to try anything and in the five days I took the prednisone I had zero side effects. None. I wasn't hungry all of the time, or emotional, or anxious. And, I felt great after two days and stopped taking the muscle relaxers and pain medication.”

Slifer February 22, 2019

For Inflammatory Conditions: “Have a herniated disc. Took me over 30 minutes to get out of bed two days in a row. Was in tremendous amount of pain. Within 12 hours of taking Predinsone I noticed a huge difference in my pain threshold. It went from 9 (scale 1 to 10) to 4 the first day. Now day 4, I’m at a 1.”

JtheBSG May 24, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Maybe I did not read down far enough but there seemed to be little "help" offered. Here is what I have: Epsom salt baths. ES is full of magnesium and magnesium works against inflammation. Cabbage has 5 major anti-inflammatory compounds. Eat all the vinegar based coleslaw you want! Fat releases a group of highly inflammatory compounds known as cykotines. Lose fat and you greatly reduce their effects. Drink lots of water. Tumeric has terrific anti-inflammatory compounds and rheumatologists acknowledge this. Red meat, fried foods, processed foods and dairy will definitely NOT help. The stomach can cause inflammation. Use a probiotic. You must get rid of negative influences like people who are constantly bringing up the negative and saying things to increase worry. When you have someone whose entire conversation is doom and gloom ... they need to go!”

DodgerGirl · Taken for less than 1 month October 15, 2019

For Skin Rash: “I was prescribed a 5-day course of prednsione 20mg x 2 tabs per day. Prednisone did nothing to help alleviate my itchy rash. In fact, my rash accelerated and became inflamed and significant swelling around my throat and face occurred.”

Anonymous September 16, 2012

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “My body was so racked with pain I could hardly move in the morning. Brushing my teeth and combing my hair were major and painful chores. After 4 days on prednisone I am almost pain free. I do experience side effects of insomnia and diarrhea but is worth it to be mobile again!”

Belle · Taken for less than 1 month August 12, 2019

For Allergic Reactions: “Had a allergic reaction to a hair conditioner; redness, itchy rashes and swelling started on my ears, then neck and face. I tried 3 types of antihistamines for about 4 days and it was only getting worse. Then my doctor prescribed prednisone 50 mg once a day for 5 days. I was so concerned about the side effects that I read in the reviews, but I was desperate and decided to start the treatment. Within 20 minutes after taking the first pill my skin wasn't as itchy, and it stopped spreading in my arms. On the 2 day my face improved a lot, and by the 3rd day the rashes were gone! I am very thankful for this medication, and happy to report there were no side effects for me whatsoever! Hope that helps!”

KT · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2020

For Sinusitis: “I’ve half chronic sinus infections for years. I’ve been in hundreds of antibiotics, been to multiple ENT’s and done allergy testing. When my sinuses get really bad I get an antibiotic and prednisone. Though the side effects can be tough it makes my nose feel 100x better 100x quicker. On prednisone I get heart palpitations and bursts of energy. Some nights I wake up sweaty with bad dreams, others to stuff my face with food. I only usually take it for 3-7 days and then I’m good but boy is it worth it. It kicks the sinus infection out so much faster and stronger than just an antibiotic.”

Isobel October 1, 2019

For Skin Rash: “I got poison Ivy or oak or sumac on my neck, very bad. Blistering, oozing, red, swollen and I had a pocket of water underneath my skin. Went to the doctor, prescribed me hydrocortizone cream. 1 week later my forearms started to itch very badly and the next day I had 90% of my body covered in itchy, red, swollen rashes went back to the doctor : it got into my bloodstream so ; systemic poison ivy. My life was in danger ! Got the prednisone pills for 5 days at 50mg and another 5 days at 25mg.... It was amazing how it helped me. Itsaved my life and weeks of suffering and turning into a bad infection... ! I respect this plant now more than ever lol”

Kim March 19, 2019

For Asthma: “I am shocked at all of these negative reviews. I’ve take prednisone on and off for several years (short durations) when my asthma flares up. I have allergy induced asthma so it’s every spring and recently I’ve acquired fall allergies within the last two years. IT WORKS WONDERS. It cures my tight chest, wheezing and cough like no other. I’ve never had any side effect from Prednisone and it doesn’t make me jittery or anything. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Love the stuff, just got some today and excited to finally be able to breath and sleep!”

Working man · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2014

For Inflammatory Conditions: “Prednisone really surprised me as a miracle for severe pain. Previously I only knew about opiate painkillers. Reason: I suddenly couldn't walk or stand on one foot - severe throbbing pain. Hastily diagnosed as plantar fascitiis, but I didn't respond to the NSAID prescribed. Went to get a second opinion, as I'm convinced I've got a fracture. Anyhow, after *stressing* how severe my pain was, the second doctor gave me prednisone, oral tablets. My god, it's a miracle. I can walk again. And I feel like a million bucks to boot (euphoric side-effect?). I can still feel the pain slightly, but somehow the prednisone has got me to where I don't mind walking on it. I never knew that prednisone was a miracle severe pain-killer, but I know it now.”

FjC January 15, 2017

For COPD: “Have been given Prednisone for severe back pain but was recently give 20mg dose for my COPD. I'm like a new man since taking it. The Dr. wanted me to stop taking it after a few months but there were side effects. I'm 68 years old and except for the COPD not in bad shape. I really don't understand why people my age who can have a much higher quality of life with a fairly mild medication as this are constantly being asked to stop taking it. I thought physicians took an oath to do no harm. This medication helps me breathe and I've grown very fond of it.... Breathing that is...”

Niya2615 June 24, 2014

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 2012. Sept 2013 was the last time I wore a pair heels & have been living with severe pains throughout my entire body. I had seen 5 different doctors, pres. Methotrexate & HCQS, but I would still be in so much pain, crying had become a normal part of my day. I was advised to see a sixth doctor (which I was not anxious to do) who was the only person to prescribe prednisolone. The very first day(2014/06/04), I was given IV Hydrocorticoid and 30mg Prednisone. Before the day ended, I was feeling so much better. To date, I'm on 20mg and Sulfasalazine and I'm back at work, run up & down stairs and so much happier to be like my old self. I do worry about the side effects since I already gained weight but I am so much better.”