User Reviews for Prednisone

1 review 39 medications
Summary of Prednisone reviews 7.7 527 reviews

Reviews for Prednisone

Steve · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 17, 2019

For Cluster Headaches: "I just have to add my joy at finding prednisone as a Cluster Headache preventative. I've had clusters since college in the 70s and thought they were sinus headaches. Finally diagnosed in the 80s and later in the 90s sought headache specialist but no treatments were effective. I tried it ALL. My local family dr finally started reading and suggested using prednisone not as dose pack ( which only worked while taking the larger doses) but taking 60-80mg thru out the early week or two of the “ migraine season” then taper down to minimum until I'm certain I'm safe. It works!,! I avoid alcohol the entire time..its my trigger. But I tell you its my miracle drug. It will not break a headache once it starts so I use under the tongue sublingual maxalt and its fairly effective in 30 minutes or so. I hope this helps someone....if i had only known more years ago I could have avoided so much pain, most hideous crippling pain."

Belle · Taken for less than 1 month August 12, 2019

For Allergic Reactions: "Had a allergic reaction to a hair conditioner; redness, itchy rashes and swelling started on my ears, then neck and face. I tried 3 types of antihistamines for about 4 days and it was only getting worse. Then my doctor prescribed prednisone 50 mg once a day for 5 days. I was so concerned about the side effects that I read in the reviews, but I was desperate and decided to start the treatment. Within 20 minutes after taking the first pill my skin wasn't as itchy, and it stopped spreading in my arms. On the 2 day my face improved a lot, and by the 3rd day the rashes were gone! I am very thankful for this medication, and happy to report there were no side effects for me whatsoever! Hope that helps!"

Lee · Taken for less than 1 month August 10, 2019

For Inflammatory Conditions: "Been on Prednisone along with an antibiotic for a bronchial infection. Day 4 of Pred I suddenly developed hives and itching skin everywhere. I am not sure if it was the antibiotic but is probably more likely that I was allergic to the antibiotic. My face and lip got swollen with hives . It came on pretty quickly. Ran out got Benedryl and reaction subsiding slowly . After sleepless nights with this drug I’ll welcome the sleepy relief of Benedryl ! I felt like it loosened up the mucous in my infection first day and allowed me to cough off more but this is the end of road gig this drug for me forever . Grateful it didn’t get any worse before I got Benedryl."

Kayla · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2019

For Skin Rash: "I had a very severe poison ivy rash that started out the size of a dime and rapidly spread within days to both my legs, calves, thighs, hands and face. No creams or ointments helped, it kept spreading and was very angry looking. It was so bad that the blisters were draining/dripping down my legs . I ended up going to the doctor and he prescribed me Prednisone . This is no lie — within MINUTES of taking this medication I could feel the itching and terrible burning finally relieve itself! Then only 6 HOURS LATER the redness surrounding the blisters was GONE! 12 hours later I took my next recommended dosage and the swelling and open sores were closed and looked nearly healed by night time. The 2nd day I had zero itching, burning or pain and the rash has dramatically healed. It’s half the size as yesterday and I have no pain at all. This stuff is awesome and I will never go without it whenever I find myself in trouble with poison ivy."

Luis · Taken for less than 1 month August 2, 2019

For Cluster Headaches: "First time I used prednisone (about 40 mg first day and then 30 ,20 and 10 and 10 ) it didn’t work for cluster headaches . Imitrex gives me chest pain so Dr prescribe prednisone at 40 mg per day (5 days ) then slowly go down I felt relive the first day ,on the second day pain came back but at least is shorter"

Gringo81 · Taken for less than 1 month August 2, 2019

For Gouty Arthritis: "Had a couple of gout flare ups over the years but now on daily medication and normally only use anti inflammatories when it flares up. Had a really nasty flare up on Tuesday night and Naproxen was not relieving the pain and swelling at all. Saw Doctor on Friday morning and asked for Prednisolone after having read the reviews on this website. Absolutely amazing result, within 40 minutes could already start to feel a slight relief from the pain and by midday the pain was only dull and I could already start to bend the big toe slightly. Having not slept for nearly 3 days and being in agony, I wasn't expecting such a quick turn around and would 100% recommend this to anyone with a gout flare up. No real side effects, a bit of light headed (little bit wired) but no pain in stomach etc and the benefits of the pain relief outweigh any side effects."

Miracle! · Taken for less than 1 month July 27, 2019

For Pharyngitis: "prednisone gets 10 out of 10 for me and my strep throat and that went septic. Tried Penicillin, went a whole 7 days still in agony until the doc switched me to Augmentin. That did the trick within hours. Finished the 10 day course of Augmentin, and a couple of days later, my sore throat came back x 10 fold. Tested negative twice for strep this time. At Urgent Care, they prescribed prednisone 40mg daily for 5 days. Today is day 3, and I'm feeling 100% better. Still coughing up some thick mucus stuff but I honestly think I'm talking it into myself because I'm so worried that the agonizing pain is going to come back once this 5 days is up. Going to see ENT on Monday for the first time, but today is Friday and it's working and please please please let this be what my throat needed along with the Clindamycin I am now on!"

Jay July 25, 2019

For Allergic Reactions: "I had 8 insect bites on my buttocks and feet it has been driving me nuts for the past 3 days. No sleep just this painful itching hot to the touch sensation on each welt. I was prescribed 20mg once a day and within an hour I was able to feel some relief. This has always helped me with bug bites. This with an antihistamine as atarax works like magic (they both help the itch and the atarax helps you sleep - pred makes you feel more awake. No side effects for me."

Greg H July 25, 2019

For Fibromyalgia: "Hi guys I am back again. I have been battling fibro for about 11 years now. Pain is an issue however for me the most debilitating symptom is lethargy and mental fog. Well as you can imagine things pile up around me, tax needs doing, this needs to be done, garage needs cleaning etc. So I decided to go back onto prednisolone to do what needs to be done. I started 25mg for four days and after 2nd day felt great, energy less pain actually got stuff done. Now I am tapering (down to 15 today) and not really feeling great, hmmmm. Book an appointment with the doc today. Not overly hopeful but who knows. I think this will become my life now. Feel like rubbish most of the time, and when I need to get something done I will go onto a short burst or pred to get it done. The main drawbacks for me: insomnia (I don't sleep well most of the time anyway so this really kicks me), ravenous hunger (two breakfasts and three lunches...), and slight agitation."

39with back of a 90 year old · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2019

For Inflammatory Conditions: "For the last 6 years I have had issues with my back going out to the point I could not walk. Protocol was get a script of flexeril and sleep for three days still hunched over in pain. This time at the local orthopedic urgent care the Dr asked had I ever had a steroid in conjunction with flexeril. I said no. Took it immediately, next morning 80% better did some stretches, the following day no pain I could walk straight and I am now at day 3 pain free. This NEVER happens when my back goes out.. it is usually a week long struggle. Miracle drug."

HappyNow July 22, 2019

For Fibromyalgia: "Long story short, tapered down from 7 to O mg of prednisone for PMR. Pain has slowly become unbearable. I don’t walk, I shuffle. Can’t bend down for pain, my place is a mess. I’m 61. Last night on a lark I tried 10 mg of leftover pred. This morning I am newborn! Pain has gone from 6-7 to 2! I’ve had fibro diagnoses for 4 yrs now. All Dr’s try to get me off pred. Hunh?!! What an eye-opener reading this has been!"

Thewyatte · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2019

For Sinusitis: "I was on Prednisone for about a week was taking 20Mg twice a day And was fine while on it but once I got off I started getting all the symptoms it has now been about 2 weeks and some symptoms are going away but others are not. My dose wasn’t tapered off, along with me missing a dose is that why they side effects are still hanging around? Also did anyone experience extra saliva I haven’t seen many say they have and was just curious please help me."

Sleepless · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2019

For Gouty Arthritis: "On prednisone for Calcium pyrophosphate dihydrate crystal deposition disease (CPPD) or sometimes called pseudo gout. Anyway 15 days on prednisone: 40mg - 5 days, 30mg for 5 days, 20mg for 5 days. Now at 14mg and I had the first uninterrupted 4 hour sleep. The past days only slept in one hour increments. No other side effects except immense fatigue and malaise. My condition used to be called pseudo gout. It consists of calciul crystls forming in joints causing massive swelling. This time my hands, last time my knees in 2011."

Pixie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 11, 2019

For Sinusitis: "I have chronic sinusitis and a large hole in my septum. I've been advised by my ENT that surgery is not an option, due to the size of the hole. Many antibiotics, saline, antihistamine, thousands spent on purifying our home and even giving away my cat to a friend... nothing. Prednisone is the only treatment which has provided much appreciated relief. If I could stay on it permanently, I would. For now, I just appreciate the intermittent courses. Each clear day is a blessing."

Koke · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 11, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Severe R.A. as a side effect from Keytruda (cancer drug) Mostly in my fingers, hands, wrists and shoulders.. So bad I could hardly get out of bed- until I was given prednisone. In my case 20mg/day is the magic number. It’s amazing to see how fast the pain and stiffness returned after only a few days of trying to reduce my daily dose to 15mg. After 10-12 weeks on 20mg/day I have gained 15 pounds and have both the “moon face” and abdominal weight gain. But, prior to the prednisone the pain was SO BAD it was almost suicidal! So I’ll take the side effects as long as I can live a productive, helpful life. I am VERY thankful that this drug exists!!!! "

Daisy · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2019

For Skin Rash: "My husband and I got a horrible case of poison oak rash and we both went on prednisone for 1 week. Within days the rash was clearing up which is great- except then, our skin got super dry and more uncontrollably itchy than ever! We both have patches of red rashes all over our bodies now that keep up up all night itching. The best relief for me has been coconut oil to keep the worst “winter itch” feeling skin from hurting and burning."

Lip · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2019

For Gouty Arthritis: "I'm 51 and got my first gout attack at 30. About every 3-5 yrs get an attack. Indocin takes pain from 10 to maybe 7 prednisone takes pain from 10 to 2 quickly and gone within a couple days. I highly recommend prednisone."

enigma · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2019

For Inflammatory Conditions: "I was diagnosed with Collagenous Colitis AKA microscopic colitis (2019) after a colonoscopy with biopsies. There has to be a better treatment for this!! I took budesonide for 1 week and I could not stand myself! Then I was taking pepto bismal caplets without success! There is high levels of aspirin in that product! I stopped that product after taking it for at least 1 month! Now, I am taking prednisone! There has to be a better treatment! My personality has changed to the extent that I don't recognize myself! I am so angry all the time! My anxiety level is too much to bear! HELP!"

Glo · Taken for less than 1 month July 8, 2019

For Fibromyalgia: "Works so well for me. I have osteoarthritis, too. After 2 days of prednisone, 80 mg, 60 mg, no pain, no spasms, no fatigue, don't have to sleep 9 hours. Have energy . Swelling in hip, shoulder reduced 85 %. Wish I could stay on this miracle drug, but I gain weight, and have other side effects that are not healthy. I can only use short term, 4 days, but sure LOVE those days!!"

Aurora · Taken for less than 1 month July 5, 2019

For Allergic Reactions: "Love prednisone. I am allergic to many antibiotics and find myself on prednisone every couple years. Makes me feel like a million bucks and keeps my reaction under control. Even helps other unrelated pain. Really a miracle."

Kiya · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 19, 2019

For Atopic Dermatitis: "My eczema has been very severe, and still is, so my doctor decided to give me prednisone. DO NOT USE PREDNISONE!!!!!! If you're taking it on a taper like I did, your eczema will start to come back at the end of your schedule. I took this twice, the first time my eczema came back worse, and then they gave me a smaller dosage, and now it's even more worse. My skin is super dry, the topical steroid they gave doesn't even help it. Its peeling really badly and its painful. Its embarrassing, especially as a teen (I'm 18). I do not recommend, and if your doctor tries to suggest it, bring up the fact that it will only make it worse after you've finished taking it."

JJ · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2019

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia for over 6 years. It has gotten bad. I use a cane/walker. I struggle with daily life tasks. I fall and or lose balance a lot. Pain excruciating. Body locks up. Recently after a fall I had a lot of numbness because of inflammation pressing on nerves. Doctor prescribed me Prednisone. I have used it many times. It helps a tremendous amount with Fibromyalgia in general. Unfortunately and this is why I gave a lower rating. I have steroid-induced diabetes. I didn't know a thing about it. It is horrible and making me feel so sick. Now I feel the steroid isn't worth the complications it can give you. I pray that when I am done with the steroids that it will go away but very well can turn to full blown diabetes caused by steriods. I was never told this. After research I have found that this isn't so rare. So make sure you weigh the risk. I will only take steroids after this round as a last option. I have been so sick with this steroid-induced diabetes."

Anonymous June 15, 2019

For Inflammatory Conditions: "I was put on 90mg prednisone for two months because my blood count was low. The first month it made me overweight, overeating, sleepy and tired all the time. The other month I started to have different side effects. I started to have dizziness, anxiety, didn't want to sleep, loss of appetite, confused, memory loss and seizures. I never had anxiety or seizures in my life. I also loss a lot of weight. I was 195lb and I went down to 145lb. When I was having those side effects what made me so scared was the anxieties and seizures. This happen to me 5 years ago and I'm still having anxieties and seizures. Now I'm being put on different medications for my anxieties and seizures. This have changed my lifestyle so much."

Feens · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2019

For Allergic Reactions: "Well I used hair dye in my hair Tuesday 11 June 2019 everything was fine woke up Wednesday had a bit of swelling on my head thought nothing of it later that day my head started itching so put paw paw ointment on . Thursday was the same . Woke up this morning 14 June 2019 and one side of my face had swelled up so bad more in my eye area my eye is so puffy don't feel pain or anything . Went to the doctors and got prescribed prednisone 25mg take one twice daily swelling is worst ATM but I am hoping it goes away ASAP ."

Hellhammer · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2019

For Gouty Arthritis: "Okay, I had a very brutal gout attack that started Friday in the knee, I didn't know that it was gout because it was so painful and not in the toe as usual. The Dr. at the emergency told me I had a bursitis and told me to go back home and take tylenols. Alright...after two days in bed and totally not helping at all, when I tried to get up I would scream from pain and couldn't move without extreme pain. So I went back at the emergency, I knew something was wrong there we go, this doctor reacted accordingly and investigated and found uric acid in my knee. Was at the emergency at 15:30 p.m. this afternoon they gave me the prednsione- amazing - I went out of the hospital on my feet at 20:00 p.m. still hurting but nothing compared to the last days. Its 1100 p.m. I am cleaning my house before getting ready to sleep. Never seen works wonder like that. Long story short...you have gout attack get this."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)