User Reviews for Prednisone to treat Asthma

Also known as: Rayos

Prednisone Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 168 medications used in the treatment of Asthma.

Reviews for Prednisone

Kuhio Terrace · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2020

“Had asthma last week Monday early morning, was in ER room 6 hours , breathing treatment, walked few minutes hallway of my ward to see if my dizziness an doxygen levels were good : excellent ”

Wheezy · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 14, 2020

“On prednisone at 20mg for 10 days fixes my wheezing every time! My side effects are enlarged pupils, anxiousness, and cloudy headed. But I love the fact I can breathe clearly again after I take it! I've been taking prednisone 2 to 3 times a year for 10 years.”

Joe psycho · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 22, 2019

“20-40mg prednisone dose is amazing it is a MIRACLE! 2 days later I go from doing my rescue inhaler 6 times a day to every other day on average. My arthritis pain, hives and lupus-like symptoms go away as well. My rescue inhaler makes me psychotic and sick I call it “satan in a can” because I act like I’m possessed by demons. The side effects of the INHALER have led to a tranquilizer addiction! Prednisone is amazing I am no longer sick and miserable when I get a higher dose, however doctors hate it and cut my dose down to 5mg which is just enough to keep me from dying. I would do ANYTHING to get a higher dose. Anyway amazing drug, makes me able to function in exchange for hot flashes, munchies and weight gain, which beats full blown psychosis”

Paranoid of Prednisone · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 16, 2019

“I have been taking prednisone almost consistently ranging from 5-40mg depending on need for the past 5 years and now when I am trying to tapper off of them, but my lungs won't have it, I begin to feel tightness in my chest and experience a feeling of not being able to breath deeply nor worse yet do ANY PHYSICAL activity even light house work without getting completely winded. However if I take prednisone I am completely fine. NOT FAIR!!! I don't want to take this damaging drug the rest of my left. HELP!!!!! :'-(”

Karen · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2019

“Chronic cough that started without a cold. Dr gave me prednisolone which actually made it worse.”

Babygirl · Taken for 10 years or more September 23, 2019

“I have RA and fibromyalgia also asthma. I think prednisone is wonderful I'd rather take it any day than an opioid IV. been taking it off and on for ten years with no noticeable side effects but not being able to sleep but I don't sleep anyway it is truly a miracle”

2legit2quit · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2019

“I have taken prednisone on a tapered dose for asthma flare-ups twice. My first tapered dose lasted 3 days and my second lasted 8 days. The prednisone worked extremely well in controlling my asthma and is a great short term solution. However, both times I have taken prednisone I have felt awful in every other way. I slept for 16 hours through the entire day, had no appetite, was extremely nauseous, had an erratic heart beat, night sweats, and mood swings. In the future, I'll ask if the shorter duration of 3 days will suffice for controlling my asthma symptoms. Prednisone is a necessary evil.”

Kim March 19, 2019

“I am shocked at all of these negative reviews. I’ve take prednisone on and off for several years (short durations) when my asthma flares up. I have allergy induced asthma so it’s every spring and recently I’ve acquired fall allergies within the last two years. IT WORKS WONDERS. It cures my tight chest, wheezing and cough like no other. I’ve never had any side effect from Prednisone and it doesn’t make me jittery or anything. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Love the stuff, just got some today and excited to finally be able to breath and sleep!”

Southern Bella · Taken for less than 1 month March 12, 2019

“I had the flu which flared up my Asthma. Prednisone does work..but it causes me to sweat really bad..and causes cramps in my body. Grateful that it's a tapered med.”

G · Taken for 10 years or more October 21, 2018

“I have been taking prednisone for about 12 years - off and on now. I wish I had never started taking it. I was diagnosed with age related asthma and mild copd in 2004 and started taking steroids in 2005. It was OK first of all, with just the occasional 5 days dose of 30mg. Then that didn't work and I was prescribed 7 days at 40 mg with 1 week to phase off. Then this dose only worked when I was taking it and I struggled for a couple of weeks before I had to give in and start another course. I had to be able to breath. A couple of years ago I took things into my own hands and told the Dr. I was going to try and get off of these toxic pills. His reaction was "you haven't got a choice." Maybe I haven't but I am trying, without too much success. I have been down to 8 mg. a day but then my breathing is so bad I have to put it up again to about 15 mg. I am currently on 11 mg. a day but have very little support from the NHS to succeed. It sucks!!!!”

mz313 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 28, 2018

“I have been on and off steroids for three years for my asthma: And it has not help at all.... Doctors cannot understand why. I have seen a variety of doctors and not one has been able to help with my shortness of breath. I've reach the point were I am out of options. Any suggestions?”

Raj1234 January 24, 2018

“I was prescribed this after diagnosis with bronchitis and sinusitis from cold/flu, and I have cough-variant asthma for which I use an inhaler every couple of weeks. Felt like a 10-ton weight was lifted off my chest and could breathe again, within 2 hours of taking the first dose. 2 days of 40mg, 2 days of 20mg, now done. I have lifetime, treatment-resistant anxiety and depression, and after an initial weird feeling like I had taken speed or something, I felt calm and happy, no drug has ever been that effective. Obviously not why I was prescribed it so after four days of relief I'm back to my depressed, anxious self. But I can breathe now.”

Jbird72 January 5, 2018

“I’m currently taking 20 mg twice a day. I’ve not had any negative side effects, and I’ve been on prednisone several times over the past year. My “complaint “ is that I just don’t feel like it does anything to help me breathe better. It doesn’t seem to work on me.”

Diesel56 November 13, 2017

“I have eosinophilic asthma (e-asthma) and I will be starting the Nucala injections in a few weeks. Hope it helps because the only thing that does to this point is Prednisone and I don't like being on it very long with the side effects it has.”

Waste Of Space · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2017

“I was about half dead from a really bad lung infection (Pneumonia), I was having lots of difficulty breathing and I was constantly coughing and expectorating. People near by me could hear my chest rattling with the effort of breathing. My doctor wanted me to go into hospital but I refused because I had to travel from Brisbane to Adelaide by car the next day and I couldn't really see the advantages of sitting in a hospital bed rather than in a comfortable car. My doctor gave me Prednisone and this really helped me. I saw results quite quickly and by the time I left Adelaide to go home again I was just about cured. As a side benefit, this medication also cured my watery eyes and running nose from hay fever.”

Thilpip · Taken for less than 1 month October 5, 2017

“Asthma was new to me, tried all the usual breathers, Dulera, ProAir, etc.. Loratizine, Singular, Flonase, etc.. was prescribed Prednisone and within days I was breathing again, my aches in my knee and shoulder were gone and most awesome affect was I started smelling things again. I felt like I was given a second chance at life, was ramped up like I was on crack but I was feeling great and getting things done. Unfortunately too many potential side-effects to continue on a regular basis.. I can no longer smell and my knee is hurting badly again.”

Can't Breath and med is hell September 26, 2017

“When your left with the choice of breathing or taking this medication what do you do! Taking a huge taper of four 10mg 7 days, then three 10mg for 7 days and so on! I have literally told my husband I'm going for divorce and that I hate him and I've never loved him! I've taken this medication before with the same side effects and it has indeed cost me a job as I fear it might if and when I can return to work IF I CAN EVER BREATH AGAIN!!!!! I'm still panicked, I still can't breath, I am still pursed lipped breathing and it's been this way since Friday at 5:30pm! Yes I was admitted for 24 hours only to be discharged while still heavily sedated (shouldn't have been driving myself and yes they knew)”

Angie M. September 1, 2017

“I took this medication last year while going through a bad bout of asthma. I was prescribed 30mg a day (with tapering, so about a week total). After the third day, the anxiety and crushing depression I was feeling with the medication caused me to go back to the doctor, and she told me to come off it immediately. I was not told to taper off, which I now know is a bad idea. I spent a good 10 days suffering withdrawal effects, and had dark thoughts. It took me 9 months to start feeling myself again. I had debilitating joint pain, so much so that I was tested for lupus,RA, and other joint/ connective tissue disorders. I was also very depressed. Had take pred before, with bad reactions, this was the worst yet. Never again.”

"Ay Ay Ron" · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2017

“I wish I could give this and my doctor zero stars. I told her I was doing just fine taking Loradatine and Montelukast, but she insisted that I take this, because "I need it", so I stared taking this at 20 MG thinking it would help. About a day after I get prescribed this garbage, I get this nasty cough. It made my asthma much worse, I constantly wheeze and cough yuck stuff up now. Then, after about 5 days I start pooping blood. I'm not talking a little, but a lot. Like half my stool is blood. And now, I'm totally depressed (And pooping blood, and completely congested) I literally don't want to do anything but die in my sleep. Sorry for the language, I'm in an awful mood. I didn't finish it either, I threw the rest of it away.”

Shaggy Mae · Taken for less than 1 month July 8, 2017

“I haven't had the severe problems I've been reading about on this site, it's honestly a little scary to hear. I take prednisone 2-3 times a year when I get bronchitis (chronic asthmatic bronchitis) & it works wonders for me. I just caught a cold the other day that went straight to my lungs. After two nights of wheezing & barely sleeping, I went to the doc yesterday for prednisone. Within a few hours, I could breath freely again. Still get winded easily & tire quickly, but much easier to function & sleep now. Would be shit out of luck without it! Just for reference, I got a script of 40mgs per day for 4 days. Went to work today & was totally back in the game!”

Shakakaka333 · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2017

“I wish I could give this medication zero stars, and I am an RN. Prednisone has ruined my life. I was given prednisone for a severe viral lung infection (I have asthma) back in August 2016; I had a 104F fever for a week and lost almost 15 lbs. The doctor (with horrible bedside manner) had pressured me to take Prednisone (60 mg) in the office ...even-though I only came in for an I.V., due to severe dehydration. I was started on 60 mg (and was supposed to take 40 mg for the next 5 days). Little did I know that it can cause mania and psychosis (I have a history of depression). By the 2nd day I couldn't sleep (I kept talking, cleaning, and writing poetry) and had a manic episode, due to steroid psychosis (and I don't have a history of bipolar disorder). No one in my family knew what was wrong with me. I am WARNING any of you with a psychiatric history to avoid this medication and oral steroids at all costs. Due to taking Prednisone, I lost a full-year college scholarship (I'm studying laboratory science)... (due to being hospitalized) and my housing. I also lost a ton of hair, and it is super thin now. I had to be hospitalized 3 times in the span of the year due to this med causing suicidal depression after the manic episode. It is depressing that I lost so much money due to copay medical bills amounting to 5k, and I cannot sue the doctor/outpatient clinic for the lost money and time, and my housing (was asked to move out due to mania/steroid psychosis). I will never take another oral steroid (even if I am on the brink of dying and I'd rather die instead). Taking prednisone has resulted in so much embarrassment and humiliation for myself. I have no idea what's worse...the 104F fever and coughing, or taking this medication. Take this medication at your own risk. DON'T LET ANY DOCTOR/FACILITY PRESSURE YOU INTO TAKING PREDNISONE OR STEROIDS.”

KayeW May 19, 2017

“First of all if you don't need to take this drug, please do yourself a favor and don't start the dose. I wish I read reviews before starting the dose, as I look back antibiotics should have been sufficient for my symptoms - I only had Acute bronchitis. The problem came when I completed my dose and the withdrawal symptoms kicked in. I started shaking, couldn't see clearly, my heart started beating fast, very anxious, couldn't sleep, fell like I was literally losing it! Almost ended up in the ER, but following other reviews decided to find ways to relax and not think about what was happening: yoga, meditation, playing sleep music and that's how I managed it. My advice for you: stay away from this drug and if you're trying to get off it, do your best to relax.”

DeeMin March 27, 2017

“The medication works when you can't breathe but the side effects are horrible! I feel very disoriented and depressed. Not for me.”

KVJ518 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 22, 2017

“Usually, I try to a drug without reading up on side effects but this medication had me consistently checking for reactions online. It did help my asthma but the allergic reactions and side effects kept me out of work the whole time I was on it. My vision became blurry, the nausea was daily, swelling of my tongue didn't get deal-able until I was down to 10mg. Let me clarify, I was on this medication for almost two months starting at 60mg. My sugar went on a roller coaster ride..... they started giving me meds to deal with the side effects which helped. I will never take this medication in the future. Listen to your body and speak up for yourself. I believe my problem is that I'm allergic to something in it...”

Jayhawkjeb · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2017

“Given short dose, 1 week, to treat exasperation of asthma due to upper respiratory infection. Had relief within 4 hours of 1st dose.”