User Reviews for Prednisone

Also known as: Deltasone, Liquid Pred, Meticorten, Orasone, Prednicen-M, Prednicot, Rayos, Sterapred, Sterapred DS

Learn more about Prednisone.

Prednisone Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 98 medications used in the treatment of Allergic Reactions.

Reviews for Prednisone to treat Allergic Reactions

"Heart rate up and felt like blood pressure was up. Having trouble getting words out and felt very anxious . Hard time sleeping and felt like my life was ending ."

Omegaforce April 13, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Horrible drug whose side effects are worse than the condition. Really messed me up for months on a six day course starting at 24mg, then reducing by 4mg daily for 5 days. Panic attacks, vision problems, ulcer or gastritis, hip pain, racing heartbeat, hip pain and didn't do anything for the allergic sinus condition. Getting out of polluted Bakersfield, California did cure the allergy but spent month on the side effects after ending use. Doctors and pharmacists never warned of possible side effects."

Starbuck0002 February 19, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took away my poison ivy rash made me gain weight and made me psychotic I hate that doctors can write prescriptions to take one thing away have to write another prescription to fix that problem. A bunch of greedy money making machines they are."

Angler M (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So far so good"

Marceau (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been suffering from Chronic Urticaria and Angioedema (Hives and Swelling of the face, lips, etc. ). I have been afraid to try this medication as I have heard about the side effects of steroids to the body. My recent flare has pushed me to the hospital and the doctor said I have to take this medication to get better. I am now on my 4th day and no signs of hives and swelling. I am under a 2 week intake plan and am crossing my fingers that this will be the answer I'm desperately looking for. Can't wait to be hive free!"

Anonymous January 6, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm taking Prednisone as follow up to being hospitalized for pneumonia a couple of weeks ago. I was also taking an antibiotic, Clindamycin, when I developed hives. I immediately thought it was the Clindamycin because I'm allergic to Neosporin (Neomycin) & stopped taking it 4 days ago. I waited for the rash to clear, but it hasn't. Then I thought, "why do I have an allergic reaction to something when I'm taking a steroid?" Bingo! Looked up side effects of Prednisone and there is was: rare reaction of hives. Looked it up just right after I took my 2nd half-tablet. No more Prednisone for me!"

Judy51 December 13, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug might be great for others, but for the few it is destructive. As it was for me. I had an allergic reaction from a bug bite on my knee, caused pain and swelling. So the doctor prescribed prednisone. Over 4 days, I experienced excruciating joint pain that led me to the emergency room (side effect of prednisone). I stopped it immediately, but over a year later I was diagnosed with avascular necrosis of the hip (bone death). I'm getting both hips replaced now and I'm 28 years old male with no prior medical problems. Look up other people's bad experiences with it, this drug made my life very difficult"

Scott777 (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"On the second day I have severe bloating and gas also major insomnia."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"i had hives. got perscribed this, about 4 days into taking it every time i shut my eyes something i was scared of would fly at my face making me jolt up and open my eyes, I didn't sleep for about 36 hours. even me knowing and thinking it was not real did not help even the slightest. nothing helped it i just had to wait until it was out of my system enough for it to stop. but every single noise was amplified and scary, my boyfriend would knock into something and it would send me into a panic he would say something or even move enough for my vision to catch it and I would actually jump and get scared, basically everything was terrifying and I couldn't shut my eyes for more than about 2 seconds without it happening."

reginamae October 31, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Put on it as a trial basis for an extreme allergic reaction. Before I could barely breathe, my face swelled, and my lips were massive. After taking it for one day my facial swelling is almost gone, I'm a little hungry, and it's causing some restlessness, but it's helping with the hives so much. Glad it's a trial basis and that it's working."

Kay22 (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Taken for severe hives, rash, itching. Allergic to the world. However it has also made my joint pain so much better, places I didn't realize were that swelled up! Now I'm wondering what else is going on. Good experience this time around. Was on 60mg/day for 5dys"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a severe itch for almost a month. The doctor couldn't make a formal diagnosis. I had red itchy spots all over me and I was MISERABLE. I was prescribed a predisone pack of 21 pills 10mg to take over a span of 5 or 6 days and by the third day the itching and scratching had subsided tremendously. I'm not sure if it was an allergic reaction to something I came in contact with as I have never had a problem like this before. This medicine truly saved me...It did make me have an appetite but since it took care of my problem that issue was insignificant."

foxsays (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I must of suffered nearly every reaction on the list after on one day.I do have breathlessness and irregular heart beat.still trying to recover without medication.I am allergic to many antibiotics."

No nickname Stella Keenan (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The only disappointing thing about this drug is that is starts chewing your body up if you take it for more than a couple of weeks. If it wasn't for the risks that long-term prednisone treatment causes, I'd take it every day. No asthma, no allergies, no inflamed skin or excessive mucous production, and my ears can finally drain like they're supposed to. Prednisone is pretty cheap, too, and the only side effect it gives me are a bad case of the munchies."

FoxyFinn (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had an allergic reaction to hair dye. At first the doctors prescribed antihistamines, calamine lotion, hydrocortisone cream etc but nothing worked. I was then prescribed prednisolone 5mg 6 x per day, I also used aloe vera gel and after 2 days I can safely say I am on the mend. I wouldn't wish this severe itching, red, angry burning swollen lumps on anyone. But this is working for me. I hope this helps your concerns with the same problem."

Joyful65 January 29, 2016

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had such a bad allergy reaction. I still do know what I am allergic to but anyways I had to go to the hospital and they gave me 50 mg of predisone and it completely got rid of all my hives I had all over my body..took these for 5 days..they were completely gone...didn't have any side effects. I was 100% happy to get better and highly recommend to take these ."

Dinna (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2015

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm very allergic to certain pet dander, my eyes swell shut and itch. I also get an itchy rash on my forehead, neck, inner forearms and sides (probably I'm causing it to spread when I itch). When it gets bad I get a corticosteroid shot and prednisone. Within 24 hours all the inflammation has subsided. I would take it more often if it weren't so harmful for my body."

Christine8585 November 27, 2014

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had severe allergic reaction to shellfish twice and I took prednisone 10 mg for 5 days. The skin rash and itchiness were gone in 3 days. Six months later I experienced same condition. I suspect this time was caused by taking vitamins. The rash and itchiness were gone in 3 days. I recommend this medicine."

Alvill October 7, 2013

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I get poison ivy so bad, and have severe allergic reactions to insect bites, I believe my last bite on the forehead was a horsefly and my eyes were swelling shut as I was swallowing 3 prednisone. I get relief in 20 minutes. I have to keep it on hand and only have to use it for several days."

farm life June 6, 2013

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Prednisone worked wonders on me. It took a few days to start working but once it did it was like night and day for my allergies. It totally kicked them out of my system. This was 5 years ago and I am still allergy free. I have recommended Prednisone to everyone."

ACslater (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2013

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took Prednisone for severe amoxicillin allergy. For 24 hours at a time this stopped my tongue from swelling and all hives disappeared. "

MJDD January 12, 2013

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Deltasone (prednisone): "We generally use the prednisone (Deltasone is the brand name) for our chronic lung disease patients. It seems to be effective for opening the air ways, but it is not for immediate rescue. We generally use it to keep the airway open after we give something like albuterol initially. Some things to keep in mind, your blood sugar may be checked because cortisones (which is what this is) can cause hyperglycemia. Also, cortisones can cause water retention and weight gain. Generally, over a long period of time, I have seen it also affect skin tissue, but it is better to be able to breath."

Therealnursesarah March 8, 2011

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"In the summer I often have severe allergic reactions to things like horse hair, cotton, and cut grass. Those reactions swell up my eyes like a tennis ball. Prednisone really helps tame the swelling and stops me from sneezing. To bad it's very unhealthy, or I'd take it more often if I could."

RedMozi January 31, 2011

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking this medicine for 7 days now. It cleared up my skin rash related to an allergic reaction fairly quick. It's worked great. The only con for me was severe headache but cold ice packs helped with that. Drink lots of fluid!"

Anonymous August 27, 2009

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking prednisone for three days. I'm hoping my allergy will clear up soon. I have not had a sense of smell for over six months. I will give an update if I have any changes in my allergy."

brownsugar45 April 24, 2009