User Reviews for Prednisone

Also known as: Deltasone, Liquid Pred, Meticorten, Orasone, Prednicen-M, Prednicot, Rayos, Sterapred, Sterapred DS

Learn more about Prednisone.

Prednisone Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 49 medications used in the treatment of Inflammatory Conditions.

Reviews for Prednisone to treat Inflammatory Conditions

"This medication saved my life. I'm 21 years old and suffered a SEVERE allergic reaction (Angioedema) from a medication. My lips swelled up three times their size and my eyes swelled shut and I couldn't see. I also couldn't breathe. I was rushed to the ER and the doctors gave me this medication, Prednisone, in the IV. All my swelling immediately went away and my breathing returned to normal. I was prescribed 10 mg of it for that next week and it kept my inflammation away and my allergic reaction under control. Make sure to follow the taper-off schedule that comes with it."

Jonathan K (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Suffering from severe lower back pain for more than a month I finally went to the doctor convinced I would be told there was nothing to be done but to soldier through it. Instead I was prescribed a week-long course of prednisone. Results started within hours. I was almost pain-free the next day. By day three other ailments I had just been living with, such as stiff knees and shoulder pain, were also gone. It's a wonder drug. But for the long term side effects I'd stay on it indefinitely if I could."

Rob_L'ster (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ok thanks I am 69 walk every day 4 months ago walking stopped due to sciatica Today 5/15/2017 I was prescribed 20mg prednisone 2x daily Took 1st dose 8 hrs ago and the sciatica will finally start to heal so l can walk Barbara J Dawes"

Dodgeram200 May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've taken prednisone tapers on and off for chronic back pain and inflammation. Usually when I've reached a point when pain meds aren't working I give in to an injection and a steroid taper. Steroids weaken the immune system so if you're body is currently fighting an infection, that you may be unaware of, the infection can become full blown since your body can't fight it off.... and this happened to me. I ended up with shingles of the mouth. Excruciatingly painful. I am now prone to getting shingles if I'm not careful. I think prednisone is a gamble. Take if you have reached a point of not having too many other options. Try a higher dose of NSAIDs for a week if no reprieve then steroids. Best of luck."

Talkinmomma May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had a cycle of decompression surgeries l5-s1 almost exactly every 2.5 years. The first two surgeries were for left foot/leg pain/ numbness. While this last one was for right side. The third decompression was done just 5 weeks ago and was experiencing extreme low back pain at the surgical site and for some reason now the left foot started going numb which hasn't occurred since surgery#2. Not being able to stand anymore by week three I was prescribed 10 days of prednisone. By the 5th day all was good. Very impressed how much this helped with back pain and numbness in foot. Other problems arose tho after my 5th day. Swollen tendons in left arm and now left foot have me barely walking. Now I got to get that looked at too. Great!"

Chronic blown disc (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a throbbing pain In my right arm for a day and a half after I started taking this. Very uncomfortable!"

Beaconinuse April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had remaining tooth pain after dental surgery to extract a bad tooth and put in the implant. The tooth pain was in the tooth next to the one that was extracted. I could not bite down on that tooth even 6 weeks after the dental surgery!! Ibuprofen did not touch the pain. Then the doctor gave me a Prednisone pack. Two thirds through the first day the pain was mostly gone. The next morning I could chew normally again. No pain after that."

Tooth pain from dental surgery (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"If you can't handle anymore ibuprofen for swelling I highly recommend prednisone. My glands in my jaw swelled up and the only thing that helped it was prednisone. Yes you're always hungry on it and can get an upset stomach. You can get very irritable on it. Yes you do gain weight but some side effects can be reduced if you take the same amount of the medicine throughout the day and not all at once."

Nuitdelamort (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffered with sciatic nerve pain for two weeks. It hurt to sit or lay down. The doctor ordered muscle relaxers, which made me very drowsy and I slept 14 hours at a time. I was starting to consider surgery when my primary doctor became unavailable, his replacement immediately ordered Prednisone. By the end of the first day, the pain started to subside. By the end of the third day, it was completely gone. I continued to take the meds as prescribed until finished. I would recommend this product to anyone. My blood pressure was elevated, due to the pain, and I believe Prednisone saved my life."

Ms Loretta (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had experienced sore wrists, neck ache and groin pain on and off for 6 months, then overnight I became almost totally disabled. Neck pain so bad it hurt to turn my head, shoulder pain I couldn't lift my arms, wrist pain and couldn't take the top of the jam and groin pain I could hardly walk. Inflammatory markers initially normal and rheumatologist didn't even mention PMR. It was only after speaking to an Osteopath who suggested it could be Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR). I requested another blood test and my inflammatory markers were raised significantly. My dr. agreed we should try Prednisone After just a few days on 15mg/day, the acute pain had gone and I was able to at least dress myself."

Chrissie55 February 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I could barely walk and bending was impossible. I started with prednisone 40 mg. for 4 days then tapered off. In 2 days I felt like a new person!! All pain gone. Personally I'd take it everyday if not for the possible side effects. I call it a miracle drug."

Angebattles February 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience was okay, I took 10 mg prednisone for about two weeks when I started taking isotretinoin for my severe acne. It reduced my inflammation very well, but caused uncomfortable bloating and very mild muscle soreness. It also caused me to have significant mood swings from having a lot of energy and excitement to being very depressed and having suicidal thoughts, and in some cases it made me a tad bit aggressive. So, it did the job well but the mental effects were kinda unenjoyable in my opinion. Personally, I won't say the drug is bad but I do highly advise you to take caution and monitor the mental health of whoever is taking the medicine."

Just your everyday person (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"for my Polymyalgia rheumaticaI I was taking four ibuprofen 3 times per day which provided only some relief from the joint and muscle pain. I had severe pain in my wrists, and pain and stiffness in my shoulders, back, and legs. I started on 25mg/day and most of my symptoms disappeared. I have been tapering for six months now and am down to 8mg/day. Some symptoms have returned but at a very manageable level. I have experienced some weight gain, maybe 5-7 pounds. At times I feel a bit of anxiety and possibly a little depression that may be related to the prednisone. No other side effects at this point."

Pmr sufferer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started with 48mg a day the fever start dropping down but still had chills after a week the pain was gone but I started being deaf on one ear, depressed, had tremors inside of me, sleepless nights, salty metallic taste in my mouth so I had to reduce the dose to 10-15mg a day for 2.5 month, the pain is back, the neck is stiff it seams like someone twisting my arms and shoulders ,have my legs swollen from night to morning,t errible stomach pain. I need to get off it. The only drug that might help is actemra, now waiting for insurance approval if don't get it will go on cannabis hopefully the law will get through by the end of Jan 2017 in NY. Suffer from terrible pain in my neck and both shoulders"

Polymayalgia Rheumatica January 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It started as a muscle pain, much like fibro, but it hurt three times worse. It started in my shoulders, then my neck, then my arms and legs and then my back and hips. My dr did blood tests and my inflammatory markers were all above the normal ranges. This pain became excruciating.. Unbearable until I woke one morning and could not raise my head off my pillow.. I had to literally roll out of my bed onto the floor . I tried every pain pill from Lyrica to opioids..nothing touched the pain..it was debilitating. I searched thru my med books . Finally I went to my Dr and told him ..Ithink I have polymyalgia rheumatica..I had every single symptom in the book!! And the tests also were conclusive.. So, after2 days..pain was gone"

annieb47 November 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My girlfriend just finished prednisone for hand inflammation. Today she woke to severe body aches. Tears in her eyes. We tried benedryl but little help. I gave her coconut water we got from Whole Foods last week. She had immediate relief. Not sure if it was the water. She is still having the pains in her joints, especially knees, and muscles. Then pain is worse after she stands. So many posts here about the problem. I hope this post offers someone else a chance at a possible solution. The coconut water has 30o mg of potassium. It also has calcium, sodium,and magnesium."

Philndawn August 21, 2016

"Memory Loss"

JOYROY (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started on prednisone about 15 years ago along with 500mg of naproxen 2x daily to control RA. My dr started weening me off the prednisone a year ago when I had a heart attack and was taken off all nsaids. I was down to 2mg a day when I was hospitalized with gall bladder surgery. With no help for pain the RA is flared up and I am back on prednisone. A good med."

Revjoh (taken for 10 years or more) August 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking prednisone for a rare condition, Tolosa-Hunt Syndrome. When I was diagnosed, I had severe double vision (Both eyes were affected.). I also had fatigue and dizziness. And, did I mention the headaches. I have been on prednisone for 2.3 years. I have gotten down to 5 mg/0 mg on alternating days only to relapse both times. With the right diet and exercise program, most of the physical side affects of the prednisone, if it is low dose, can be eliminated. In the last year, I have dropped 32lbs, and look damn good for a 42 year old woman. The downside is that I have not been able to get off of the meds. The upside is that it helps me live a normal life. I can't live with horrible headaches and double vision."

Mamoumudbug August 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I chose not to take any medicine for my lower back problem any longer than 1 day. My chiropractor operates their office as a drug free office and has been providing me physical therapy for about 3 months now. It's really working. I strongly suggest that if you haven't considered chiropractic therapy you should get evaluated. One of my best friends was taking Prednisone for several months and now she's been diagnosed with leukemia. Her health is going down hill. Many people don't realize the long term affect of using this medicine can far outweigh the problem. It can affect your liver, spleen, and can compromise your immune system, making you susceptible infections. My doctor says you should really only be prescribed no more that 2 week."

FT3308 July 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Low back pain radiating down legs and shoulder pain. I have been in severe pain since injuring my back in 2007. I worked in construction and have injured my lower back several times. MRI revealed bulging disc from L1 to L5 and shoulder pain is from years of heavy work. I have been going to pain clinics since 2008 and although I take pain medication it does little to relieve the pain. My PCP prescribed Prednisone tablets for 20 days along with a shot to start with. Within three days my pain had decreased and within a week I was almost pain free. For the first time in years I spent a week without pain medicine. I took the last of the prednisone last week and the pain in my lower back and shoulder returned yesterday and by this morning I am using a walker again."

Darelmac (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a choking/allergic reaction where my throat swelled as well as my vocal chords, it was scary but I'm glad it happened because I was living with a lot of pain that the Prednisone helped from a bike accident as well as other issues. I just took it for 5 days & I did take a 5 mg about 3 weeks later as a maintenance dose. As far as the anxiety goes my body adjusted to that after a couple days then it dissipated once I stopped taking it. I did gain 6 lbs & hit kept me awake first couple nights. The positive out weighs the side effects for me especially with a short term dosage"

Florida Al (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have epilepsy and it sent me into a grandmal seizure the first day I started taking it. Then I did not take it again and I had no more seizures. I was taking it for inflammation of the inner ear. It was my first time taking it an my last. It may help other people, but it made me have a seizure. I rarely have them so I know it was the prednisone. I do not advise epileptics to take this medicine. This is coming from personal experience. Stay safe."

Vasha118 May 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have terrible leg pain/neuropathy as I am pre-diabetic. I discovered accidentally that a low dose of prednisone erased the pain completely and gave my ability to walk back. My Dr was concerned about the long term side effects- 5 mg a day - so wanted me to try Celebrex instead. What a disaster. Terrible stomach and back pain . My inflammation and severe pain came back with a vegeance. Back on prednisone . For all the naysayers- this drug gave me my life back. I am dedicated to losing weight so the pre-diabetes issue goes away- and I can get off of Prednizone. This drug gave me my life back. Sounds like the high dosage given to patients on this site caused major unpleasant side effects - my low dosage did not result in any negative effects."

Kanne (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Manufactured by Qualitest Pharmaceuticals. This was a unit of use package for a five day use starting with a higher dosage and going down to one pill on the last day. Very poor instructions on how to remove the pills from the card. I ended up having to cut them out with a razor blade. I would rate Ease of Use at a 1."

rbelllebec April 25, 2016