User Reviews for Prednisone

Also known as: Deltasone, Liquid Pred, Meticorten, Orasone, Prednicen-M, Prednicot, Rayos, Sterapred, Sterapred DS

Learn more about Prednisone.

Prednisone Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 49 medications used in the treatment of Inflammatory Conditions.

Reviews for Prednisone to treat Inflammatory Conditions

"I had a throbbing pain In my right arm for a day and a half after I started taking this. Very uncomfortable!"

Beaconinuse April 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had remaining tooth pain after dental surgery to extract a bad tooth and put in the implant. The tooth pain was in the tooth next to the one that was extracted. I could not bite down on that tooth even 6 weeks after the dental surgery!! Ibuprofen did not touch the pain. Then the doctor gave me a Prednisone pack. Two thirds through the first day the pain was mostly gone. The next morning I could chew normally again. No pain after that."

Tooth pain from dental surgery (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"If you can't handle anymore ibuprofen for swelling I highly recommend prednisone. My glands in my jaw swelled up and the only thing that helped it was prednisone. Yes you're always hungry on it and can get an upset stomach. You can get very irritable on it. Yes you do gain weight but some side effects can be reduced if you take the same amount of the medicine throughout the day and not all at once."

Nuitdelamort (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffered with sciatic nerve pain for two weeks. It hurt to sit or lay down. The doctor ordered muscle relaxers, which made me very drowsy and I slept 14 hours at a time. I was starting to consider surgery when my primary doctor became unavailable, his replacement immediately ordered Prednisone. By the end of the first day, the pain started to subside. By the end of the third day, it was completely gone. I continued to take the meds as prescribed until finished. I would recommend this product to anyone. My blood pressure was elevated, due to the pain, and I believe Prednisone saved my life."

Ms Loretta (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had experienced sore wrists, neck ache and groin pain on and off for 6 months, then overnight I became almost totally disabled. Neck pain so bad it hurt to turn my head, shoulder pain I couldn't lift my arms, wrist pain and couldn't take the top of the jam and groin pain I could hardly walk. Inflammatory markers initially normal and rheumatologist didn't even mention PMR. It was only after speaking to an Osteopath who suggested it could be Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR). I requested another blood test and my inflammatory markers were raised significantly. My dr. agreed we should try Prednisone After just a few days on 15mg/day, the acute pain had gone and I was able to at least dress myself."

Chrissie55 February 25, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I could barely walk and bending was impossible. I started with prednisone 40 mg. for 4 days then tapered off. In 2 days I felt like a new person!! All pain gone. Personally I'd take it everyday if not for the possible side effects. I call it a miracle drug."

Angebattles February 10, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My experience was okay, I took 10 mg prednisone for about two weeks when I started taking isotretinoin for my severe acne. It reduced my inflammation very well, but caused uncomfortable bloating and very mild muscle soreness. It also caused me to have significant mood swings from having a lot of energy and excitement to being very depressed and having suicidal thoughts, and in some cases it made me a tad bit aggressive. So, it did the job well but the mental effects were kinda unenjoyable in my opinion. Personally, I won't say the drug is bad but I do highly advise you to take caution and monitor the mental health of whoever is taking the medicine."

Just your everyday person (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"for my Polymyalgia rheumaticaI I was taking four ibuprofen 3 times per day which provided only some relief from the joint and muscle pain. I had severe pain in my wrists, and pain and stiffness in my shoulders, back, and legs. I started on 25mg/day and most of my symptoms disappeared. I have been tapering for six months now and am down to 8mg/day. Some symptoms have returned but at a very manageable level. I have experienced some weight gain, maybe 5-7 pounds. At times I feel a bit of anxiety and possibly a little depression that may be related to the prednisone. No other side effects at this point."

Pmr sufferer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started with 48mg a day the fever start dropping down but still had chills after a week the pain was gone but I started being deaf on one ear, depressed, had tremors inside of me, sleepless nights, salty metallic taste in my mouth so I had to reduce the dose to 10-15mg a day for 2.5 month, the pain is back, the neck is stiff it seams like someone twisting my arms and shoulders ,have my legs swollen from night to morning,t errible stomach pain. I need to get off it. The only drug that might help is actemra, now waiting for insurance approval if don't get it will go on cannabis hopefully the law will get through by the end of Jan 2017 in NY. Suffer from terrible pain in my neck and both shoulders"

Polymayalgia Rheumatica January 15, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It started as a muscle pain, much like fibro, but it hurt three times worse. It started in my shoulders, then my neck, then my arms and legs and then my back and hips. My dr did blood tests and my inflammatory markers were all above the normal ranges. This pain became excruciating.. Unbearable until I woke one morning and could not raise my head off my pillow.. I had to literally roll out of my bed onto the floor . I tried every pain pill from Lyrica to opioids..nothing touched the pain..it was debilitating. I searched thru my med books . Finally I went to my Dr and told him ..Ithink I have polymyalgia rheumatica..I had every single symptom in the book!! And the tests also were conclusive.. So, after2 days..pain was gone"

annieb47 November 15, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My girlfriend just finished prednisone for hand inflammation. Today she woke to severe body aches. Tears in her eyes. We tried benedryl but little help. I gave her coconut water we got from Whole Foods last week. She had immediate relief. Not sure if it was the water. She is still having the pains in her joints, especially knees, and muscles. Then pain is worse after she stands. So many posts here about the problem. I hope this post offers someone else a chance at a possible solution. The coconut water has 30o mg of potassium. It also has calcium, sodium,and magnesium."

Philndawn August 21, 2016

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Memory Loss"

JOYROY (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started on prednisone about 15 years ago along with 500mg of naproxen 2x daily to control RA. My dr started weening me off the prednisone a year ago when I had a heart attack and was taken off all nsaids. I was down to 2mg a day when I was hospitalized with gall bladder surgery. With no help for pain the RA is flared up and I am back on prednisone. A good med."

Revjoh (taken for 10 years or more) August 16, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking prednisone for a rare condition, Tolosa-Hunt Syndrome. When I was diagnosed, I had severe double vision (Both eyes were affected.). I also had fatigue and dizziness. And, did I mention the headaches. I have been on prednisone for 2.3 years. I have gotten down to 5 mg/0 mg on alternating days only to relapse both times. With the right diet and exercise program, most of the physical side affects of the prednisone, if it is low dose, can be eliminated. In the last year, I have dropped 32lbs, and look damn good for a 42 year old woman. The downside is that I have not been able to get off of the meds. The upside is that it helps me live a normal life. I can't live with horrible headaches and double vision."

Mamoumudbug August 3, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I chose not to take any medicine for my lower back problem any longer than 1 day. My chiropractor operates their office as a drug free office and has been providing me physical therapy for about 3 months now. It's really working. I strongly suggest that if you haven't considered chiropractic therapy you should get evaluated. One of my best friends was taking Prednisone for several months and now she's been diagnosed with leukemia. Her health is going down hill. Many people don't realize the long term affect of using this medicine can far outweigh the problem. It can affect your liver, spleen, and can compromise your immune system, making you susceptible infections. My doctor says you should really only be prescribed no more that 2 week."

FT3308 July 17, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Low back pain radiating down legs and shoulder pain. I have been in severe pain since injuring my back in 2007. I worked in construction and have injured my lower back several times. MRI revealed bulging disc from L1 to L5 and shoulder pain is from years of heavy work. I have been going to pain clinics since 2008 and although I take pain medication it does little to relieve the pain. My PCP prescribed Prednisone tablets for 20 days along with a shot to start with. Within three days my pain had decreased and within a week I was almost pain free. For the first time in years I spent a week without pain medicine. I took the last of the prednisone last week and the pain in my lower back and shoulder returned yesterday and by this morning I am using a walker again."

Darelmac (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a choking/allergic reaction where my throat swelled as well as my vocal chords, it was scary but I'm glad it happened because I was living with a lot of pain that the Prednisone helped from a bike accident as well as other issues. I just took it for 5 days & I did take a 5 mg about 3 weeks later as a maintenance dose. As far as the anxiety goes my body adjusted to that after a couple days then it dissipated once I stopped taking it. I did gain 6 lbs & hit kept me awake first couple nights. The positive out weighs the side effects for me especially with a short term dosage"

Florida Al (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have epilepsy and it sent me into a grandmal seizure the first day I started taking it. Then I did not take it again and I had no more seizures. I was taking it for inflammation of the inner ear. It was my first time taking it an my last. It may help other people, but it made me have a seizure. I rarely have them so I know it was the prednisone. I do not advise epileptics to take this medicine. This is coming from personal experience. Stay safe."

Vasha118 May 16, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have terrible leg pain/neuropathy as I am pre-diabetic. I discovered accidentally that a low dose of prednisone erased the pain completely and gave my ability to walk back. My Dr was concerned about the long term side effects- 5 mg a day - so wanted me to try Celebrex instead. What a disaster. Terrible stomach and back pain . My inflammation and severe pain came back with a vegeance. Back on prednisone . For all the naysayers- this drug gave me my life back. I am dedicated to losing weight so the pre-diabetes issue goes away- and I can get off of Prednizone. This drug gave me my life back. Sounds like the high dosage given to patients on this site caused major unpleasant side effects - my low dosage did not result in any negative effects."

Kanne (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2016

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Manufactured by Qualitest Pharmaceuticals. This was a unit of use package for a five day use starting with a higher dosage and going down to one pill on the last day. Very poor instructions on how to remove the pills from the card. I ended up having to cut them out with a razor blade. I would rate Ease of Use at a 1."

rbelllebec April 25, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have Major Depressive Disorder and have been through a lot to get the right combination of anti-depressants to actual help me. I was put on Prednisone for systemic inflammation. The second day my mood just dropped. It felt like I had no anti-depressants in my system at all. It was awful. My PCP and therapist helped me through the worst part, but I don't think I will ever take Prednisone again. My taper was finished yesterday and today the pain is back. I rather deal with the physical pain than the depression. Nasty side effect. On the bright side; it did help with the inflammation and pain, even though it was temporary."

F33.2 April 19, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been dealing with nagging neck and shoulder pain for almost 2 months now. Stemming from a hard fall on ice, resulting in a severe concussion, back sprain, and whiplash. Last week when I was trying to stretch my neck to relieve the nagging ache. Pulling my head to the right I heard a loud pop and a sudden release. And then, oh boy, not 30 seconds later, extreme pain. Unbearable pain. Referring down my arm to my middle fingers. Having had four herniated lumbar discs and two surgeries as a result, I immediately thought I'd herniated or torn a disc. As the painkillers, muscle relaxants, and physio did not help. My doctor put me on a 5 day steroid taper. I was skeptic. But it started working within 24 hours. This is literally saving my life."

IvyBean (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2016

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Terrible pain in hip and shoulder, two hours after first 60 mg dose completely pain free. Everywhere in my body. Side effects started immediately, severe anxiety, dry mouth, could not sleep, paranoia. By day five severe rectal bleeding from being constipated. Doctor lowered the dose still had side effects. I stopped the meds pain is all back with a vengeance 24 hours after last dose. Side effects scary as hell"

Ffffffl (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My mother has been on prednisone for almost four years for polumyalgia/rheumatica. We found out recently that the reason she was in such horrible back pain and could hardly walk was the extended use of prednisone. The MRI showed she had actual cracks in her spine. We are still in shock. This cannot be reversed. Even though people feel fine and really on top of the world the end result is devastating. So now we are dealing with even more pain not even associated with Polymyalgia. She will never recover from this. Everyone is different, but please look at the cons of the medicine before taking. Beware!"

Regretful February 13, 2016

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For the first time in 2015 I was treated with Prednisone. Briefly, 20 year history of Lumbosacral pain, Herniated L5-S1 (no annular tear yet, about 3mm) bilaterally encroaching both traversing L5 nerve roots. Combined with bilateral foraminal Stenosis, Spinal Stenosis (Lumbar) acquired and Congenital, Facet Hypertrophy, entire spine, Pars L4/5-L5/S1, led to Isthmic Spondylolisthesis, G1, and an 8mm T2 Hyperintensity Synovial Cyst (yep) adjacent to the right Facet at L5 and encroaching the S1 nerve root. What led to Prednisone: botched radio frequency ablation, missed the Medial, nerve damage, doc freaked due to my pain he ruled out RA. 3 week taper got me through to nerve heal, no side effects, alternative? Massive Narcotics Drip, 3 Wk stay. I despise both."

Dean0314 January 27, 2016