User Reviews for Prednisone to treat Skin Rash

Also known as: Rayos

Prednisone Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 45 medications used in the treatment of Skin Rash.

Reviews for Prednisone

Sara · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2020

“I get poison ivy rash every year, go to Urgent Care. Usually from my dog as I know what it is. This year, I pulled the ivy from an area at my new house. Bathed immediately in Tecnu, tried to alleviate itching with cortizone cream and anti-itch spray. Went to urgent care after 3 days with rash, 5 days after exposure. It did not look as bad as other years, doctor gave me 16 day prednisone prescription, filled immediately. Usually I get a shot of prednisone to get me started on recovery, but not this year, it did not look very bad, but it is uncontrollable to me. Now, 3 days of 40mg, and this morning first day of 30mg dose. It is not working well! Now, 10 hours after taking the 3 pills, it is driving me crazy! Why does this not work as in the past?”

Tez March 11, 2020

“I've done the Prednisone treatment for severe Poison Ivy twice in my life, around 30 years ago and right now. In both instances the rashes and blistering were severe and my skin was screaming for relief from the itching. Both times, the Prednisone effect took up to 6 hours to become noticeable, but once that started the relief became incremental, albeit slowly, The rashes and blisters started to slowly dry after 12 hours or so, with the redness and swelling becoming noticeable less after 18 hours. Any sort of warmth on my arms (where the contact occurred) for another couple of days seemed to bring back the redness and worsen the itching, but holding them under cold tap water for a while would stop that. After the 3rd dose (72 hours) I didn't even think about the rashes and blisters nor the itching and the tough part was reminding myself to finish out the dosage. The dosage per day (mg) was: 40-40-40, 30-30-30, 20-20-20, 10-10-10 (12 days)”

Vagaslanski December 22, 2019

“I was prescribed 50mg Prednisone once a day very early in the morning for 5 days. My rash was severe. After day 2 I noticed a difference and the rash.. after day 5....is just visible under my skin. I had no side effects. Slept fine. Ate fine. Was not super thirsty. No stomach problems. I feel like I have been saved!!!!”

DodgerGirl · Taken for less than 1 month October 15, 2019

“I was prescribed a 5-day course of prednsione 20mg x 2 tabs per day. Prednisone did nothing to help alleviate my itchy rash. In fact, my rash accelerated and became inflamed and significant swelling around my throat and face occurred.”

Isobel October 1, 2019

“I got poison Ivy or oak or sumac on my neck, very bad. Blistering, oozing, red, swollen and I had a pocket of water underneath my skin. Went to the doctor, prescribed me hydrocortizone cream. 1 week later my forearms started to itch very badly and the next day I had 90% of my body covered in itchy, red, swollen rashes went back to the doctor : it got into my bloodstream so ; systemic poison ivy. My life was in danger ! Got the prednisone pills for 5 days at 50mg and another 5 days at 25mg.... It was amazing how it helped me. Itsaved my life and weeks of suffering and turning into a bad infection... ! I respect this plant now more than ever lol”

Jo · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2019

“I got poison Ivy rash really severe. Prednisone 12 days decrease every 3 days. It helped the itching that's it. The rash 2 weeks later is still blistered and spreading.”

Kayla · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2019

“I had a very severe poison ivy rash that started out the size of a dime and rapidly spread within days to both my legs, calves, thighs, hands and face. No creams or ointments helped, it kept spreading and was very angry looking. It was so bad that the blisters were draining/dripping down my legs . I ended up going to the doctor and he prescribed me Prednisone . This is no lie — within MINUTES of taking this medication I could feel the itching and terrible burning finally relieve itself! Then only 6 HOURS LATER the redness surrounding the blisters was GONE! 12 hours later I took my next recommended dosage and the swelling and open sores were closed and looked nearly healed by night time. The 2nd day I had zero itching, burning or pain and the rash has dramatically healed. It’s half the size as yesterday and I have no pain at all. This stuff is awesome and I will never go without it whenever I find myself in trouble with poison ivy.”

Daisy · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2019

“My husband and I got a horrible case of poison oak rash and we both went on prednisone for 1 week. Within days the rash was clearing up which is great- except then, our skin got super dry and more uncontrollably itchy than ever! We both have patches of red rashes all over our bodies now that keep up up all night itching. The best relief for me has been coconut oil to keep the worst “winter itch” feeling skin from hurting and burning.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2019

“Had dark red spots on my arms and legs that would itch. After wrongly being diagnosed with scabies, I went back to the dermatologist for a proper diagnosis. They said it was Pityriasis Rosea. Was prescribed prednisone, 15 day taper. 6 days in, and my symptoms are starting to heal pretty good. Not completely gone, but harder to find spots now that have that deep red color.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2019

“It really gets rid of your rash but I experienced the most painful itching I've never had in my entire life. Like 50 mosquitos on my stomach. Took one 60 mg tablet.”

Jojo · Taken for less than 1 month August 13, 2018

“WOW every time I take it make my rash go away”

Anonymous December 14, 2017

“I was on prednisone for 3 days when the rash appeared. It was red burning itching like be lit on fire I read that using lavender essential oils ( can be mixed with almond or coconut carrier oils) can work wonders and I had some on hand. I got a cotton ball and started rubbing on my legs and arms It was like a miracle ! It can be bought at Walmart in the vitamin isle for 5-7 dollars also the carrier oils too.”

Marliese June 28, 2017

“I have a lower left leg rash, my doctor prescribed antibiotics twice, different strength, no results Then I was prescribed Betaderm Ointment for leg and Prednisone 50 mg tablets 1 daily for 5 days. After taking 4 Prednisone tablets I got an itchy rash all over my body. That was end of May. No more drugs for me. I still have the rash and try alternative methods”

Sumaya Harker · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 28, 2017

“Prednisone has helped me so much I had a nasty eye infection, sores on my scalp & face caused by hair dye, it dried up my infection in just 2 days. IT even stopped the pain on my knees its given me incredible relief for my allergies.”

Steph856 July 10, 2016

“I has the worst poison ivy reaction from cleaning my yard on June 25 .. First I was prescribed an antibiotic them a steroid cream.. finally the mass general hospital prescribed me this medication and was in my first full day of being goes my rash went away I feel completely better ... I'm on 4-10 mg tablets daily then down to 3-3 days and 2-2 days and 1-1 day and I don't know what I would have done with out this medication. Abusing it would be scary but I haven't had any bad or noticable side effects besides my back hurts...”

Recep · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 16, 2016

“I was diagnoised with pityriasis rubra / red itchy patches all over the body , like sunburn . I had 40 mg per day for two weeks and decrease it by 5 mg evry week . Worked right from start and cured it for good.”

Mello54 March 26, 2016

“I have been dealing with an itchy, red, flaky rash on my face, (chin area) for a few months. I've tried just about every over the counter cream and ointments recommended by doctors. The PA I work with suggested prednisone for a weeks time. Two 20mg for the first dose, then one 20mg tablet twice a day for 5 days. I took my first dose at 630pm and by 7am next morning my rash was 75% gone. Heard weight gain is a huge side effect from the meds but I can live with that over the embarrassing rash I had for months.”

Jake s November 26, 2015

“I took 2 20mg doses (pill) 12 hours apart , as told by my doctor. The next day i started shaking when I woke up in bed and went straight to the hospital for "corticosteroid induced psychosis" caused by prednisone. I am still recovering!”

Finally a solution May 29, 2015

“I have dealt with an itching face for several months. I was embarrassed for anyone to see my face. After purchasing numerous over the counter creams, without any results, I decided it was time to see the doctor. Thank God for prednisone...the itching went away and my skin is clear.”

Sade1960 January 22, 2013

Meticorten (prednisone): “Prednisone causes rashes for me.”

briandw4 · Taken for less than 1 month July 6, 2012

“I have found the medication invaluable for Poison Oak rashes.”

Anonymous August 23, 2011

“I got poison Oak or Ivy not sure which one but after a steroid shot and being prescribed prednisone the rash went away in a couple weeks. At the end of the dosage I did have a pretty bad break out of acne on my chest and my back.”

Anonymous August 3, 2011

“I got a terrible rash from being exposed to poison ivy. It was all over. The prednisone was a terrifically fast cure. However, I experienced terrible side effects: increased sweating, shakiness, mood swings (my poor boyfriend) and weight gain. ”

FreshScape March 24, 2011

“I am a teenager who got poison ivy rash all over my face. Went to the doctor and got prescribed this. Took as instructed, and the next day, 85% of the rash was gone and most of the itching. Never seen medicine actually work in a few hours like this!”

Anonymous July 13, 2009

“I have been taking prednisone for about one month. I have a skin condition that it very itchy and feels like hot needles are poked into my skin. Prednisone has relieved the problem but my doctor has cut me back and the the problem is coming back. I will see a dermatologist in two weeks, again. He did nothing for me back in December except cost me $1000. I think this medicine is very good, but a person has to have the right dose and stay on it.”

Learn more about Skin Rash