User Reviews for Prednisone to treat Sinusitis

Also known as: Rayos

Prednisone has an average rating of 7.3 out of 10 from a total of 39 ratings for the treatment of Sinusitis. 67% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 23% reported a negative effect.

Prednisone Rating Summary

7.3/10 average rating

Compare all 173 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Prednisone

KT · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2020

“I’ve half chronic sinus infections for years. I’ve been in hundreds of antibiotics, been to multiple ENT’s and done allergy testing. When my sinuses get really bad I get an antibiotic and prednisone. Though the side effects can be tough it makes my nose feel 100x better 100x quicker. On prednisone I get heart palpitations and bursts of energy. Some nights I wake up sweaty with bad dreams, others to stuff my face with food. I only usually take it for 3-7 days and then I’m good but boy is it worth it. It kicks the sinus infection out so much faster and stronger than just an antibiotic.”

Wenno · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2020

“I have had too many sinus ops. Consequently my sinuses are apparently wrecked. I live with chronic sinus issues. But now and then that chronic sinusitis results in extreme discomfort, brain fog etc. So a couple of times each year I have to go on the Prednisolone. 2x 25 mg daily then tapering. I’m fully aware that this type of drug is not good for one’s system. Apart from that the side-effect I really notice is that it wrecks my sleep. Apparently no matter what time of day one takes this drug, it stays in the system. But it works for me. The yellow gunk starts to clear out of my sinuses within a day, and I then start to feel normal and comfortable again. Best thing ever for me.”

Kris · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2019

“I had surgery over a decade ago consisting of repairing my deviated septum and inferior turbinate reduction which completely cured my sinusitis...(for 11 years). Unfortunately, I just got the worst sinusitis infection probably ever and the first one since that surgery. The infection spread to my eye sockets and after 3 antibiotics aside from my eye infection being under control, I was still sick and up all night several nights coughing. I was put on Prednisone 5 days ago and I'm noticing a huge improvement. I'm not coughing all night. I have energy again, and have been able to work out for the first time in ten weeks. I'm keto so I'm not sure if my blood sugar has jumped, but I also take two tbsp of ACV diluted in 8 tbsp of water twice a day which you can look up empirical study results on as it relates to diabetes prevention. My dose of prednisone is 3 days of 10mg 4X, 3 days 10mg 3X, 3 days of 10mg 2X, 3 days of 10mg 1 dose. I hope this information helps. I don't really detect any side effects.”

TdEvans21 May 20, 2017

“Suffered from chronic sinusitis for over a year. Couldn't breath through my nose and daily headaches, brain fog and congestion plagued my life. Numerous antibiotics didn't work. Got given 5 days of this tablet (30mg) and within hours it works. The swelling reduced, I could breath and my sinuses cleared in 3 days! The downside is it sent my anxiety through the roof and I didn't sleep for a week but after a year of chronic sinus problems it was nothing!! Try it :)”

Pixie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 11, 2019

“I have chronic sinusitis and a large hole in my septum. I've been advised by my ENT that surgery is not an option, due to the size of the hole. Many antibiotics, saline, antihistamine, thousands spent on purifying our home and even giving away my cat to a friend... nothing. Prednisone is the only treatment which has provided much appreciated relief. If I could stay on it permanently, I would. For now, I just appreciate the intermittent courses. Each clear day is a blessing.”

Haleyhd April 5, 2012

“I have severe allergies, combined with chronic sinus and ear troubles. Every few months, I need prednisone to help with inflammation. It kicks in so quickly, and that familiar, dull ache finally subsides. With the taper pack, the side effects are minimal, but the most notable are an increased appetite and energy level. Thankfully, the two of these together seem to balance out, and I usually don't gain weight.”

Deehar October 7, 2015

“I had a rally bad sinus infection in 2014. Went to Doctor and was put on a antibiotic and prednisone 20 mg. I felt better in one day. This past week had another one went to same place and was put on same meds. Felt great in one day. So I think prednisone is a great Med to give.”

Sinusitis One-Time Sufferer · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2019

“Acquired Sinusitis after a flu. After an antibiotic shot and Amoxi-Clav antibiotics, my Sinusitis was worse after 2 days: extreme head pressure, seriously EXTREME jaw pain, severe tooth pain (from my swollen sinus pressing on the roots of my top teeth), sinus headache, bone pain under my eye. Just awful. The next day I started Prednisone. My insurance didn’t cover it, so it cost me $11.50 USD out of pocket. The dose was 3 tiny tablets the first day, then 2 tablets the next day, then 1 tablet. I stopped after day 1 because I was scared of side effects. After taking that first dose, I was back to normal again! The jaw pain, the pressure, terrible tooth pain— all gone within 2 hours. My side effects after one dose were racing thoughts, extra saliva in my mouth with a metal taste, and my sense of taste was heightened (which I thought was great). I took the dose after a meal to avoid nausea, and I took it at 2pm. Time on medication was 1 day.”

Triple T · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2018

“I was prescribed to this medication about two days ago. I had had a really bad sinus congestion. I had to go into the emergency room. I had a severe blockage in both nostrils. I couldn't breathe for three days and the doctors at one point was 'lady we can not help you' and then the doctor was like 'ok I'll put you on prednisone for 5 days dosage of 60mg' I was scared at first knowing it's was a steroids. But kid you not in an hour and half I was breathing again. I felt like I was living again...”

JC83 · Taken for less than 1 month April 27, 2019

“Suffer from chronic sinusitis and for me prednisone has been a game changer. I can't afford the ballonplasty surgery so this is my best option. After 1st day my inflammation reduced and the yellow goop finally started draining. My sinus holes are too small. I use nasacort, sinupulse machine, vapor, nasacort...nothing resolves my infections better than antibiotics and 12 days of prednisone. With high dose first 3 days ,then drop.”

Chris November 30, 2020

“I've had chronic sinusitis with polyps since 1984, every operation you can think of - I had many years with better health, usually had an infection after every cold or flu which I could deal with, sometimes with the aid of basic amoxicillan. In recent years the infections have been getting worse, leading to inflammation which in turn stops the infection from draining which leads to more inflammation. I've had the same GP throughout all these years and it's only the last two that he has prescribed prednisone with amoxicillin. I take both for seven days, tapering the prednisone quickly. It feels like the miracle cure I've been looking for. I do notice side effects from the prednisone but these are manageable with good diet, water and rest. After only a couple of days, the discharge from the nose is quite large and highlights just how bad the infections must be and how much it must be taxing for the body's immune system to deal with. I can't recommend this course of treatment enough.”

George · Taken for less than 1 month February 1, 2019

“I was prescribed 30mg/day for 4 days along with antibiotics for a nasty sinus infection. It has helped significantly with the headache pain and hopefully is helping drain the infection. I barely noticed any side effects honestly, and I was quite nervous because of all the reviews online. I maybe felt a little jittery the first day, but that may have just been anticipatory anxiety.”

Phoebe · Taken for less than 1 month November 25, 2019

“As far back as I can remember I’ve had sinus problems. I had a few years of respite but can’t figure out what I was doing right then and wrong now. I have tested negative for allergies, but the symptoms are always worse in Spring/Summer so I take antihistamines but it’s usually at this time my sinusitis reaches critical mass and I find Prednisone is the only relief. So 10/10 from me.”

atxblueviolet · Taken for less than 1 month April 1, 2019

“Day 3 of constant forehead and temple pain and pressure along with stiffness on my neck. I was taking 1000mg of tyleno and 200mg of Aleve and they were not working. I was considering going the ER as I was in tears at day 3. I have a really high pain threshold and when my husband saw me in tears he got concerned. Before making the trip to the ER I decided to use the app resource through my insurance. He diagnosed me with a sinus headache and prescribed 10mg of Prednisone. My first dose was 60mg. Within an hour I began to feel relief. I was really amazed at how quickly and efficiently it treated the awful main and pressure I felt.”

Pj · Taken for less than 1 month December 1, 2020

“Chronic asthmatic hay fever and sinusitis plus PTSD and extreme anxiety!! Usually get antibiotics and steroids for week or so and instantly within hours feel heaps better. Then when I stop the steroids and antibiotics my sinusitis flares up again and sometimes my sinuses make little blood streaks after blowing it. So I think steroids are fantastic just pity the effects don't stop it coming back I'm an allergy suffer badly. Any suggestions and opinions be great.”

Wenno June 19, 2016

“I have very frequent bouts of sinusitis with general associated dizziness. Over the last 2 years I've had way too many scripts for Antibiotics (which eventually didn't work anymore) so the doc has occasionally suggested Prednisolone. Did this in December and after a few days all good! Right now in June I'm in trouble again so again on the Pred and tapering down over a week, but I avoid it at night cos it keeps me awake. I'm feeling almost alive again today. Hopefully I'll be out of the woods again soon!”

Anonymous May 14, 2009

“I've been taking this on and off for a few months now (but taking as prescribed) for chronic and severe sinus infections. I recently had surgery for it and am still taking it. I am honestly hoping to be off it soon. I have noticed several side effects - I can't sleep well but always feel tired and without energy; I'm moody; excessive sweating with a horrible breakout or rash over my chest, shoulders and back; my skin is dry and my face looks fuller. ”

SBP · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2018

“I've had sinus infections before, but this is the first time I've ever had prednisone prescribed along with an antibiotic. I was hesitant at first (knowing others who have taken Pred. and the side effects they experienced)...but I decided to take half a dose. I don't know if it is the Pred. or the amoxicillin that has made me feel so much better, but something has worked. This was a very severe infection and I was feeling better after the first dose. I have only taken a half-dose 4 days and am not planning to take any more of it (the Pred.). Just my 2 cents.”

Riotsquad · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2018

“I have allergies and get 1-2 sinus infections a year that last for about 6 weeks if untreated. After back to back infections my doctor prescribed prednisone with a six day taper off and a z pack. I noticed immediate relief after just a few hours. The pressure and tightness in my sinuses was gone and all the infected mucus started coming out. I was better within a few days.I haven’t had any reactions actually it has had a relaxing effect.”

Jude of Saint Georges Court · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2016

“Went to Centra Care, 31 August,antibiotic, no help, 8 days later went to ER Hospital, 8 Sept , given z-pack 5 days, started feeling a little better but not right yet, super fatigue besides the regular Fibromyalgia, 12 Sept, go to Research Group Doctor, I am in for COPD, given Prednisone 20 mg for 5 days 2x's a day. 1st day that I felt good in over 4 weeks and only on one for a day right now. Thank you”

IceCream · Taken for less than 1 month August 2, 2018

“I was prescribed this for sinus inflammation. While it did get rid of the inflammation within a day the side effects made it not worth it. This is the worst drug I have ever taken in my life. Unless it's life or death I do NOT recommend taking this. It initially gave me a sense of euphoria, which only lasted a few days, and then I experienced the worst anxiety/depression in my life. I had no appetite. Couldn't function. Was scared to be alone was soo depressed. The worst part was that the nurse that prescribed it to me didn't inform me of these possible side effects. Many people say they take it and have no adverse reactions but I was lucky enough to be prone to the adverse reactions and they are AWFUL.”

Dorsey Dollar · Taken for less than 1 month March 12, 2017

“Went to the Little Clinic in Fry's. I went in with severe sinus pressure. I hadn't had any fever or body ache's so they prescribed me Prednisone 30mg once a day for 5 days. I did feeling anxious, but it only lasted about an hour. They also prescribed Advil & Sinus and Mucinex. Within an hour and a half of taking the first dose, I felt releif. It has been a 8 days since I finished my last does the sinus pressure did not return, but I have post nasal drip which is causing a sore throat and coughing. This is my first time taking Prednisone. For the most part, it did its job.”

Sniffles October 4, 2018

“Allergy doc gave me Prednisone for chronic sinus problems that resulted in a painful ear infection with bloody pus discharge. My ear hurt so bad from the inside out that it hurt too bad to even sleep on it. Ended up that the infection caused a perforated ear drum. The prednisone, along with a prescription nasal spray and antibiotics got rid of the problem. Instead of taking 4 the first day and tapering down, I spaced out 2 the first day, then took one a day thereafter. After the antibiotics ran out I held on to the remainder and spaced them out one a day every time symptoms started to flare up again. Doc gave me a refill so I can take one in a given day to help my body start to heal the sinus problem. My sinus problems are not due to hay fever or other obvious triggers, but are more year-round and likely related to my fibromyalgia and/or CNS/obstructive sleep apnea. Glad to keep these around for when literally nothing else works.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 30, 2018

“This helps tremendously with sinusitis - only good side. I was given several times over past couple years but side effects are horrible. There is the weight gain, hair loss and thinning, swollen feet, anxiety, sleeplessness, mood change, pain in hands and feet, joint pain, blurred vision etc . I do not recommend taking this drug unless absolutely necessary and if so proceed with EXTREME caution.”

Cat August 25, 2019

“In 2017 I had a virus and it attacked my sinus right side deviated septum. The pain was a 10, right eyebrow area and the only thing that worked was prednisone 20 mg given by my PA, advil and tylenol too. All was great up to July 2019, again a virus same problem, this time my PA was on vacation, told Dr. Of what worked in 2017 gave her exact prescription paper and she said she ordered same for me. Well I trusted her and never checked dose just looked at instructions on how to take it, by 4 days had a little relief but realized that in 2017 by 2nd day I had relief, sure enough I looked and she had order 1/2 mgs of the 2017 dose! After 4 days of taking all the meds it came back bad as the first time. I did use Benadryl sinus and headache med. 1/2 tablet and it did help some. I went to see sinus dr and they agreed that the dose was to small and not long enough. They gave it to me same as in 2017 and 2nd day lot of relief, so we will see if at end it does work and not come back like in 2019”

Learn more about Sinusitis