User Reviews for Prednisone

Also known as: Deltasone, Liquid Pred, Meticorten, Orasone, Prednicen-M, Prednicot, Rayos, Sterapred, Sterapred DS

Learn more about Prednisone.

Prednisone Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 364 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Prednisone to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"Diagnosed with early RA six weeks after onset of symptoms in almost every joint. Put on 10 day course of decreasing dosage and experience relieve with in the first 6 hours. No longer on Pred but take 2 grams sulfazine daily and symptoms, although still painful, are decreasing after 35 days. Assume that when or if a flare up occurs Pred, will be prescribed."

fat dog (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2016

"Worked better than infusions and other oral prescriptions . I have seronegative RA"

Sierra5 March 24, 2016

"Prednisone has been a saviour at being a quick fix in getting rid of my crippling RA symptoms. Started on 10mg a day with no side affects. Now into my 7th week on it and tapered down to 7.5mg I'm getting terrible side affects. Agitation, anxiety, mood swings, awful insomnia which worsens the mood swings and the lack of sleep then causes its own lot of side affects. I'm not sure what's worse right at this moment - pain in all my limb joints or these aggravating side affects?! I am writing this at a peak of a pouty mood swing though. I don't do well without sleep and 3 nights in a row with just a few hours between them is it. On a positive note I am almost fully mobile when on the drug. So I highly recommend it for short term use."

Dunnoifamcomingorgoin (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2016

"I have a love/hate relationship with Prednisone. It really helps when you need it. In fact, sometimes, it's the ONLY thing that helps. Over 20 years ago I was on it for my UC. I never gained weight on it. I did get the cute moon face though. Recently I was diagnosed with another auto-immune disease. NSAIDs didn't do anything to alleviate my pain. I'm on Sulfasalazine and Methotrexate. We started with 40 mg Prednisone and have tapered to 10 right now. NEVER get off Prednisone cold turkey (If you've been on it for a while), your adrenals will pay. You have to taper off. However, as I taper off, my pain is coming back. It has a lot of side effects. I already have osteopenia from the last time."

Sili Lili (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2015

"I had a full bone scan and found arthritis in almost every joint, worst being knee, wrists fingers, feet and neck. I was prescribed Prednisone and within 1-2 days they worked, however, one of the side effects is weight gain. I do recommend them if you don't mind putting on a lot of weight. I didn't stay on them because of this but have taken full strength Glucosomine every day for years, I think over time they have gradually repaired some damage to the joints. A lot of times I could feel an attack of arthritis coming on, I would feel extremely tired, words even slurred so I would take 1/2 to 1 Prednisone, no pain next day."

Rachael1122 June 29, 2015

"I took 10 mg oral prednisone for about 3 months, and I was pleased that there were little to no side effects for me. Within a few days about 90% of pain in back, hands, knees shoulders disappeared for the first time in over 20 yrs or more. It was wonderful, but now my doctors are refusing to prescribe prednisone anymore for me. They say it makes bones brittle. Yet, none of them will prescribe another kind of medicine, saying my ana and sed rates are only a little on the high side.What can I do now?"

Didn't seem to have any negative side effects. May 17, 2015

"Prednisone is a great medication but be careful with it. Don't take it long periods of time. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and my doctors had me on prednisone for two years. In that time I started taking Humira which I had no more inflammation in my blood. My hips and shoulder still hurt even though I had no inflammation, my Dr. Said keep taking prednisone we'll taper it off slow. My doctor and I assumed this pain was normal arthritic pain and he never did X-rays. The pain in my hips got worse and worse. I went to the emergency room where they did X-rays, I found out I had end stage osteonecrosis (bone death) and had to have both my hips replaced 3 weeks later (second hip 6 weeks after the first)."

Sandy2xs January 30, 2015

"I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 2012. Sept 2013 was the last time I wore a pair heels & have been living with severe pains throughout my entire body. I had seen 5 different doctors, pres. Methotrexate & HCQS, but I would still be in so much pain, crying had become a normal part of my day. I was advised to see a sixth doctor (which I was not anxious to do) who was the only person to prescribe prednisolone. The very first day(2014/06/04), I was given IV Hydrocorticoid and 30mg Prednisone. Before the day ended, I was feeling so much better. To date, I'm on 20mg and Sulfasalazine and I'm back at work, run up & down stairs and so much happier to be like my old self. I do worry about the side effects since I already gained weight but I am so much better."

Niya2615 June 24, 2014

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Deltasone (prednisone): "Because of the length of time on Prednisone, I now look like a moon-faced pregnant linebacker. BUT, it has been the ONLY medicine since diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis that has given me any relief close to being able to function. I've been warned of the serious side effects, but with medicines everything is a trade off in my opinion. Without Prednisone, I may be out of bed a total of 2 hrs per 24hr period--& that's a GOOD day!"

BGM0512 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 27, 2014

"I was hospitalized 2 years ago with ra for a week,that's how bad I was. I woke up totally crippled in every joint, it hit me all at once. I have been on predisone since day one,in the hospital I was on 260 mg, get the picture of how bad I was. I have been on 60 mg for over a year on top of every ra med you could imagine plus I get injections of pres twice a month,we rotate every joint from my neck to my legs. And yes it is s miracle work since nothing else has helped but it has made me so fat,60 lbs in two years with a found face. It also causes serious side effects with diabetes. I wish I could get off of it, I stopped on my own once and was in sever pain and felt like I had the flu and my rhum.Dr from John Hopkins said I had withdrawls."

kista50 January 18, 2014

"I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in January of 2012, I tried several medications prescribed by my doctor but nothing helped, I got to where I couldn't even get out of bed, couldn't even turn a door nob so I was a prisoner in my own house, I started taking Prednisone three weeks ago and feel like a new person, no pain at all anywhere. I don't care about any side effects, just to be able to live normally again is worth it to me. For now it has changed my life for the better."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2012

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My body was so racked with pain I could hardly move in the morning. Brushing my teeth and combing my hair were major and painful chores. After 4 days on prednisone I am almost pain free. I do experience side effects of insomnia and diarrhea but is worth it to be mobile again!"

Anonymous September 16, 2012

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prednicot (prednisone): "Good."

255 (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2012

"I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis eight years ago and have been on many concoctions of pills since. When I got really bad flares that rendered me disabled I was treated with prednisone. For me this has been a miracle. I have had it injected into affected joints and also general injections. When direct into joints, the relief is almost instant, I could walk, move my hands like a miracle. When injected generally, it took three or four separate injections over 3-4 days before any improvement but it worked every time. I have to say, I don't know what I would have done over the years without prednisone. The side effects I suffered where weight gain and insomnia but these where better than being in agony and disabled."

rheumarth January 8, 2012

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have polymyalgia rheumatitis in my joints. The only thing for this disease is prednisone so I take it. I have had 10 lbs of weight gain, hot flashes all the time, excessive urination (at least 5 times during the night) but the pain in my joints is gone. I am slowly working my way off of prednisone 1 1/2 tabs right now) within 12 - 15 weeks I should be off and my disease should be gone. So I'm a lucky one."

Sam500 July 18, 2011

"I am 77 and have taken prednisone since I was 28. When first diagnosed I was told to take 10 aspirin in the morning and 10 in the evening. Really tough going with many serious side effects. Later I was prescribed prednisone and I knew it was a miracle medicine for me. I could hold an egg without dropping it and walk without extreme pain. Now I am on 5mg Prednisone with Methotrexate and Remicade. I am so happy to have quality of life with quantity due to the wisdom of the Rheumatologist!"

still going June 9, 2011

133 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My first prednisone injection was for viral bronchitis. In about 6 hours my arthritis pain was completely gone."

oldjoe January 22, 2011

"I am a 55 year old female and have been living with RA for 8 years. Prednisone has made a MAJOR difference in the quality of my life together with a combination of CoxFlam; Nivaquine, Arava, Salezepyrin and Methotrexate. I still have to go for regular blood tests and Cortisone IVs every 6 - 8 months, but thanks to the medication and my wonderful rheumatologist, I can live a normal and productive live. I am a Senior IT Manager in a very demanding job. Although I had to slow down my pace a bit (as I am totally adrenaline driven), I am still managing my career very well and hope to remain in my career for another 10 years. "

Marietjie van Zyl - Pretoria, South Africa October 19, 2009

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine is a catch 22 in the worst way. Try not to stay on it for a long time. It can damage your bones and make you gain weight."

oceanblueyes September 3, 2009

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had swelling in my finger joints for many years. This medicine is the only one that has helped the pain. The joints will always be swollen though, as the damage has been done."

Anonymous March 24, 2009

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking prednisone about 3 weeks ago and the swelling in my hands, feet and knee have gone down. I feel like a new person."

Anonymous December 11, 2008

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I just took my first dose of this medication today and already I can walk up and down the stairs of my house, something I have not been able to do for months, due to the swelling in my feet. What a relief!"

regamy October 22, 2008

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate