User Reviews for Prednisone

Also known as: Deltasone, Liquid Pred, Meticorten, Orasone, Prednicen-M, Prednicot, Rayos, Sterapred, Sterapred DS

Learn more about Prednisone.

Prednisone Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 372 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Prednisone to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"I have a pre existing condition (brain injury/seizures) the Prednisone work great for my arthritis however it made me have 12 seizures. But unfortunately as soon as the prednisone was out of my system my symptoms came back immediately."

Jessie6808 April 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed almost 3 years ago with RA ..I was in crippling pain I started on 20 mg a day until flares got under control .. I now take plaquenil and 5 mg prednisone and feel like a human again and my rheumy wants me off the prednisone..I don't get it a patient feels great why take the relief away...small things in life make me happy ..walking,working and getting out of bed on my own.. I think it is a miracle drug"

Td35 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am in my 60s and the pain in shoulders, hips, hands and knees was so invasive, I had problems sleeping and getting out of bed in the morning. After some research, (I was originally diagnosed with arthritis), I found my symptoms matched the condition of Polymyalgia Rheumatica exactly. My physician accommodated me with a 20mg. prescription for prednisone. After two doses, my months-long battle with pain was completely over. I literally felt as if I'd been born again in the physical sense. For me, this medication was miraculous. Fortunately, I have not suffered any of the side effects such as swelling, etc. Tapering off the medication, I've found that 5mg. is my threshold dose. Under that, the symptoms come back."

bekris January 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The best drug ....I felt almost normal on 15 milligrams ."

Aunt sansan January 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I developed RA after my appendix burst 7 years ago. Out of the 4 Rheumatologists I have had, none have seen a case as aggressive as mine. Within 2 years I was completely bedridden and under the care of others. While the side effects are horrible (no sleep, infections, hair falling out, weight gain and moon face), I continue to ask for it in high doses. I don't expect to live much longer, but I would rather live where my pain is manageable with pain meds than in the fetal position curled up in my bed crying 24/7. This disease is the worst."

Permanent RA Flare (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this before my trip to New England in the winter time per my Dr suggestion as it would help prevent the very cold weather up north from making my bones and joints hurt n ache. It took away all my RA pain but wow the side effects like eating and puffy face etc were yukky. I won't take it again unless I absolutely have too...."

florida19771977 December 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 47 years old. Was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis about four months ago when I was having severe pain in my left hand. Was put on prednisone which made me feel horrible. I weaned myself off of it and since then my arthritic pain has increased by 100%. I also have polycystic kidney disease and hypothyroidism. I'm very leery about starting any kind of biologic because of this. Has anyone found any relief with supplemental treatments."

Anonymous December 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It is a trap. Been taking 10 mg Prednisone daily for three years for severe RA. I also take Plaquenil. A weight gain of 35 pounds, dark circles under my eyes, scabs and bruises on my arms and legs my rheumatologist finally said ENOUGH! Now weaning off Prednisone. I have never felt worse in my life but for my burnt lung experience on Humira. My God what a terrible disease RA is. I wish something really helped. I wish there was some way to make the pain stop. Somedays I feel like a prisoner. I can't work, sitting and watching tv makes it worse, so I make up jobs to do outside and pretend like I make a contribution."

LArryMya November 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"If your getting side effects from taking prednisone try switching to Hydrocortisone tablets and see if that helps"

Strong bear (taken for 10 years or more) November 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on low dose Prednisone for 32 years. My RA started 2 years before Methotrexate and I was totally disabled for 2 years until I got in on clinical trials of MTX. The prednisone helped me get through flare ups and bad times. I would increase the dosage for a couple of days and ease the pain. Now I take 5mg a day every day to maintain myself. Now I am on disability due to my hands which are severely deformed. When you have experienced the effects of severe crippling Rheumatoid Arthritis, the pain of not being able to function at any level. You will do anything to relieve that pain. "

detchas July 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Diagnosed with early RA six weeks after onset of symptoms in almost every joint. Put on 10 day course of decreasing dosage and experience relieve with in the first 6 hours. No longer on Pred but take 2 grams sulfazine daily and symptoms, although still painful, are decreasing after 35 days. Assume that when or if a flare up occurs Pred, will be prescribed."

fat dog (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worked better than infusions and other oral prescriptions . I have seronegative RA"

Sierra5 March 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prednisone has been a saviour at being a quick fix in getting rid of my crippling RA symptoms. Started on 10mg a day with no side affects. Now into my 7th week on it and tapered down to 7.5mg I'm getting terrible side affects. Agitation, anxiety, mood swings, awful insomnia which worsens the mood swings and the lack of sleep then causes its own lot of side affects. I'm not sure what's worse right at this moment - pain in all my limb joints or these aggravating side affects?! I am writing this at a peak of a pouty mood swing though. I don't do well without sleep and 3 nights in a row with just a few hours between them is it. On a positive note I am almost fully mobile when on the drug. So I highly recommend it for short term use."

Dunnoifamcomingorgoin (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have a love/hate relationship with Prednisone. It really helps when you need it. In fact, sometimes, it's the ONLY thing that helps. Over 20 years ago I was on it for my UC. I never gained weight on it. I did get the cute moon face though. Recently I was diagnosed with another auto-immune disease. NSAIDs didn't do anything to alleviate my pain. I'm on Sulfasalazine and Methotrexate. We started with 40 mg Prednisone and have tapered to 10 right now. NEVER get off Prednisone cold turkey (If you've been on it for a while), your adrenals will pay. You have to taper off. However, as I taper off, my pain is coming back. It has a lot of side effects. I already have osteopenia from the last time."

Sili Lili (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a full bone scan and found arthritis in almost every joint, worst being knee, wrists fingers, feet and neck. I was prescribed Prednisone and within 1-2 days they worked, however, one of the side effects is weight gain. I do recommend them if you don't mind putting on a lot of weight. I didn't stay on them because of this but have taken full strength Glucosomine every day for years, I think over time they have gradually repaired some damage to the joints. A lot of times I could feel an attack of arthritis coming on, I would feel extremely tired, words even slurred so I would take 1/2 to 1 Prednisone, no pain next day."

Rachael1122 June 29, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took 10 mg oral prednisone for about 3 months, and I was pleased that there were little to no side effects for me. Within a few days about 90% of pain in back, hands, knees shoulders disappeared for the first time in over 20 yrs or more. It was wonderful, but now my doctors are refusing to prescribe prednisone anymore for me. They say it makes bones brittle. Yet, none of them will prescribe another kind of medicine, saying my ana and sed rates are only a little on the high side.What can I do now?"

Didn't seem to have any negative side effects. May 17, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prednisone is a great medication but be careful with it. Don't take it long periods of time. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and my doctors had me on prednisone for two years. In that time I started taking Humira which I had no more inflammation in my blood. My hips and shoulder still hurt even though I had no inflammation, my Dr. Said keep taking prednisone we'll taper it off slow. My doctor and I assumed this pain was normal arthritic pain and he never did X-rays. The pain in my hips got worse and worse. I went to the emergency room where they did X-rays, I found out I had end stage osteonecrosis (bone death) and had to have both my hips replaced 3 weeks later (second hip 6 weeks after the first)."

Sandy2xs January 30, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 2012. Sept 2013 was the last time I wore a pair heels & have been living with severe pains throughout my entire body. I had seen 5 different doctors, pres. Methotrexate & HCQS, but I would still be in so much pain, crying had become a normal part of my day. I was advised to see a sixth doctor (which I was not anxious to do) who was the only person to prescribe prednisolone. The very first day(2014/06/04), I was given IV Hydrocorticoid and 30mg Prednisone. Before the day ended, I was feeling so much better. To date, I'm on 20mg and Sulfasalazine and I'm back at work, run up & down stairs and so much happier to be like my old self. I do worry about the side effects since I already gained weight but I am so much better."

Niya2615 June 24, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Deltasone (prednisone): "Because of the length of time on Prednisone, I now look like a moon-faced pregnant linebacker. BUT, it has been the ONLY medicine since diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis that has given me any relief close to being able to function. I've been warned of the serious side effects, but with medicines everything is a trade off in my opinion. Without Prednisone, I may be out of bed a total of 2 hrs per 24hr period--& that's a GOOD day!"

BGM0512 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 27, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was hospitalized 2 years ago with ra for a week,that's how bad I was. I woke up totally crippled in every joint, it hit me all at once. I have been on predisone since day one,in the hospital I was on 260 mg, get the picture of how bad I was. I have been on 60 mg for over a year on top of every ra med you could imagine plus I get injections of pres twice a month,we rotate every joint from my neck to my legs. And yes it is s miracle work since nothing else has helped but it has made me so fat,60 lbs in two years with a found face. It also causes serious side effects with diabetes. I wish I could get off of it, I stopped on my own once and was in sever pain and felt like I had the flu and my rhum.Dr from John Hopkins said I had withdrawls."

kista50 January 18, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in January of 2012, I tried several medications prescribed by my doctor but nothing helped, I got to where I couldn't even get out of bed, couldn't even turn a door nob so I was a prisoner in my own house, I started taking Prednisone three weeks ago and feel like a new person, no pain at all anywhere. I don't care about any side effects, just to be able to live normally again is worth it to me. For now it has changed my life for the better."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My body was so racked with pain I could hardly move in the morning. Brushing my teeth and combing my hair were major and painful chores. After 4 days on prednisone I am almost pain free. I do experience side effects of insomnia and diarrhea but is worth it to be mobile again!"

Anonymous September 16, 2012

Prednicot (prednisone): "Good."

255 (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis eight years ago and have been on many concoctions of pills since. When I got really bad flares that rendered me disabled I was treated with prednisone. For me this has been a miracle. I have had it injected into affected joints and also general injections. When direct into joints, the relief is almost instant, I could walk, move my hands like a miracle. When injected generally, it took three or four separate injections over 3-4 days before any improvement but it worked every time. I have to say, I don't know what I would have done over the years without prednisone. The side effects I suffered where weight gain and insomnia but these where better than being in agony and disabled."

rheumarth January 8, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have polymyalgia rheumatitis in my joints. The only thing for this disease is prednisone so I take it. I have had 10 lbs of weight gain, hot flashes all the time, excessive urination (at least 5 times during the night) but the pain in my joints is gone. I am slowly working my way off of prednisone 1 1/2 tabs right now) within 12 - 15 weeks I should be off and my disease should be gone. So I'm a lucky one."

Sam500 July 18, 2011