User Reviews for Prednisone to treat Cluster Headaches

Also known as: Rayos

Prednisone has an average rating of 8.9 out of 10 from a total of 18 ratings for the treatment of Cluster Headaches. 94% of those users who reviewed Prednisone reported a positive effect, while 6% reported a negative effect.

Prednisone Rating Summary

8.9/10 average rating

Compare all 32 medications used in the treatment of Cluster Headaches.

Reviews for Prednisone

The Horse February 5, 2021

“I’m having mixed results from prednisone. It does stop my cluster headaches after a couple of days and works for the week that it’s prescribed. But, on coming off the drug, I get a different kind of headache: a dull ache at the back of my skull that’s equally resistant to transitional painkillers as a Cluster Headaches (CH), marginally less painful but very annoying as it can last all day. Would like to know whether it may be a withdrawal pain, abs whether it can be safe to stay on a low dose of prednisone long-term.”

Basia · Taken for less than 1 month January 28, 2021

“I've had migraines and rebound headaches forever. My doc gave me Prednisone (starting today 1/28/21). 6 pills day one, then 5 pills day 2, etc. I've taken all pills for today and so far not helping at all. From what I read, taking this many pills on day one will "blast" the rebound headache/migraine out of here! Not for me though. Also took one Ubrelvy which helped for just one hour. I'm at my wits end. When I say I've tried it all, I mean it. Name a medication, I've tried it. I'm hoping day 2 (and on) will be better. Took Nurtec yesterday which did nothing for me in addition to Advil and Fioricet.”

dreamrider · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2020

“Beast = cluster headaches. Prednisone is a “Beast Keeper”, 40 years. Tried all the whips and pistols. One day, in the 20-some week of a cycle, I decided to go see a doc. And what do you know! Predni happened! 60mg 1x/day/5 days - titrated out to 40mg/3 days, 20mg/3 days. It stopped the cycle after the very first dose. Problem; the Beast began its return 2nd day of the lowest does. Went back to the trainer. Re-enlisted into Predni. New sched: 40mg 1x/day/4 days. Titrated down: 30mg/4 days, 20mg/ 4 days, 10mg/4 days. The “Beast” did not come back for14 months! The longest Beast-less span ever. The Beast showed up 10 days ago. It stopped the Beast on the 1st dose! O-M-G!!! This is unbelievable! I can think, work, sleep, laugh, eat anything, and no freaking pain every 4 or so hrs, day-and-night! Now, to research scientist, please look at the Enterochromaffin and Enterochromaffin-like cells role in CH. Next question: what (possibly phenotypical) aspect(s) causes them to “overreact”?”

Steve · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 17, 2019

“I just have to add my joy at finding prednisone as a Cluster Headache preventative. I've had clusters since college in the 70s and thought they were sinus headaches. Finally diagnosed in the 80s and later in the 90s sought headache specialist but no treatments were effective. I tried it ALL. My local family dr finally started reading and suggested using prednisone not as dose pack ( which only worked while taking the larger doses) but taking 60-80mg thru out the early week or two of the “ migraine season” then taper down to minimum until I'm certain I'm safe. It works!,! I avoid alcohol the entire time..its my trigger. But I tell you its my miracle drug. It will not break a headache once it starts so I use under the tongue sublingual maxalt and its fairly effective in 30 minutes or so. I hope this helps someone....if i had only known more years ago I could have avoided so much pain, most hideous crippling pain.”

Kristy612 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 24, 2019

“I have been dealing with migraines / cluster headaches my whole life. I'm 45 now and at 3 I would tell my mom my head hurt. I've done everything from sinus surgery to acupuncture, CAT scans, MRI's, botox and back injections. Usually once something doesn't work the Dr gives up on me and basically dismisses my concerns. My last Dr diagnosed my with chronic daily migraines and gave me 50 mg of prednisone to take for 2 to 3 days if the imitrex doesn't work. I love it !! It works!! HOWEVER, after taking it for a few days...I take 2 to 3 a day cause 5 is too much I think. I got so swollen, irritable, broken out, and can't sleep. Then I think I was getting a rebound headache. Ugh...now I try to take just as needed and it definitely works if I don't take too long. I'm excited to find something to take the edge off when nothing else works.”

J · Taken for less than 1 month December 14, 2019

“This drug prednisone is like a miracle for me, no headaches, feel 10 years younger, I just wish I could take it on a regular basis, cause when I'm down to one a day, headaches return and tired and irritable.”

Anonymous September 23, 2009

“My doctor thinks I have cluser headaches. This is the second medication I am on and taken it about 4 times. This is so far the only headache that has helped me. They are not gone completely and after several hours they return but for several hours I am able to function with a smaller headache.”

jskess · Taken for less than 1 month October 15, 2015

Deltasone (prednisone): “I am 51, and have been getting cluster headaches since 17. Have tried every medication for them, but nothing seemed to work for me. I was finally prescribed Prednisone, it takes a few days to start working, but after I finished the course, I didn't get a single headache for nearly a year. The course was 20 mg a day, for 10 to 14 days, depending on the doctor. The length of time, without a headache varies, but is usually a year or more.”

Shawn · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2019

“I've been dealing with cluster headaches for about 20 years. My doctor now prescribes 60mg of prednisone for 5 days, then I taper to 40mg, 20mg. This past month I've had a terrible cycle of headaches but the prednisone keeps them at bay. Unfortunately I have felt them trickling back in once I taper to 40mg. The doctor has had me go back up to 60mg two more times. Hopefully the cycle will be over soon as prednisone can make me feel jittery. For me, prednisone is the only thing that has worked for the clusters.”

Obarka · Taken for less than 1 month April 2, 2018

“I have been struggling with cluster headaches for almost 50 years. I will go for years in remission and then get a monster onset cluster that wakes me up at 4:00 a.m. and lasts for weeks. I use all the weapons my doc has given me: triptans, anti-seizure drugs, pure oxygen, opiates and blood pressure meds. Invariably, though, it is a run of prednisone, starting at 60-100 mg day, increasing until I get relief, then slowly tapering back down and off, that ultimately provides relief.”

Jersey Gurl · Taken for 10 years or more August 12, 2017

“I experienced my first Cluster Headache 27 years ago.It still took me moving to Atlanta and 15 years to find a Neurologist that actually helped me. An Imitrex shot works for the very short term but that's NOT the solution as we all know. My Neurologist put me on a preventative dose of Verapamil and Topomax ( that means all the time) When cycle starts I Take 60mg Prednisone for 5/days,40/days,20/4days.As soon as I begin the Prednisone my HA's stop however since we can't stay on it forever when I get down to 20mg I start Medication Cafergot & take it late afternoon. If I don't do this headaches will pop right back up!*NOTE-Can't take Imitrex within 24hrs of Cafergot.I was nervous but didn't need it.In cycle now, also diagnosed w/MS 2015. ”

Hurricane Mike · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2017

“Have had clusters for 45 years, remember the first one. Ergotamine inhaler worked almost instantaneously but gave me a nasty depression. I take prednisone 2(10mg) at breakfast , 1(10mg) at dinner. Tried taking less and headaches come back with a vengeance! They mess with my digestive tract some , and sharp increase in appetite, and an increase in sexual desire. It is not supposed to do that. I will stay on this medication till the cluster cycle ends”

Roofingispainfulenough August 3, 2017

“In my third recurrance of cluster headaches over a 10 year period, they have become far more intense and frequent, over a month with no let up. As many as four per day. Started on 50mg for four days. Fifth day no prednisone and headaches were back. Now I'm back on prednisone (60mg for 5 days and reduce by 10mg until off) and it is so far keeping them at bay.”

Boggins · Taken for less than 1 month November 3, 2014

“Taking the medicine 60mg (reducing by 5 mg per day over 1 week) worked until the dosage got down to 40 mg, then the headaches came back and the medicine was not effective at all. I am now on my second week of the same approach from my doctor and am writing this as at 04:00. I woke up at 02:00 and have not been able to sleep since. But, only 'normal' headaches so far.”

Luis · Taken for less than 1 month August 2, 2019

“First time I used prednisone (about 40 mg first day and then 30 ,20 and 10 and 10 ) it didn’t work for cluster headaches . Imitrex gives me chest pain so Dr prescribe prednisone at 40 mg per day (5 days ) then slowly go down I felt relive the first day ,on the second day pain came back but at least is shorter”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more January 21, 2020

“I always get headaches after a dose of Prednisone. I like that it's helps my breathing but then I suffer from headaches later.”

yelrah April 24, 2012

“This is the only medication that has successfully relieved and aborted the onset of cluster headache "events" during my twenty year history of cluster headache attacks.”

T bone · Taken for less than 1 month September 22, 2018

“At 40 mg per day I'm pain free. Hard to know when it's safe to taper off”

jigg June 15, 2013

Sterapred DS (prednisone): “Sleeplessness.”

Learn more about Cluster Headaches