User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Postural Orthostatic...ycardia Syndrome 1 reviews 4 medications

6.3
Bipolar Disorder 5 reviews 33 medications

Summary of Clonidine reviews 310 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Clonidine

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: "Best medicine ever! My insomnia is so bad mixed with my bi polar it's terrible! One night I'm up till the next day nd it's like when I close my eyes I'm right Back up, but not wit clonidine! VERY well sleeping aid, nd also helps with adhd"

bloopbloop August 14, 2016

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "Severe menopausal hot flushes and night sweats, did nothing, still have severe night sweats and day time hot flushes!"

SnowBee August 10, 2016

For Opiate Withdrawal: "This medication saved me from all the horrible pain I was suffering. I stopped all the other meds (benzos and ambien) thanks to this med. it makes me tired but after a quick 30 minute nap I am ready for my day with no withdrawal symptoms. I am detoxing from suboxone and I am on day 8. Please try this medication if you are an opiate user and want to quit. Please do not get on suboxone. I was on it for 5 years. Yes, it changed my life and I am stable but for cheaper clonidine could have done the same and I wouldn't have to suffer another detox!"

Seviya (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Sharing my experience with clonidine for one reason, I had uncontrollable high blood pressure that no other blood pressure medicines could bring down. The Dr the tried me on Clonidine.. It took about 20-30 minutes to start working but it saved my life. The bad effects from clonidine that I've found, it makes me sleepy often and sometimes gives me cotton mouth. Either way, I'm still alive! Also clonidine is very affordable."

Misc1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 5, 2016

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "My oncologist put me on clonodine two days ago for nighttime hot flashes caused by chemo for breast cancer in 2009. My cancer was estrogen based, so I can't do HRT. I'm on an estrogen blocker. My hot flashes start immediately when I go to bed, and it takes me several hours to go to sleep. After taking the clonodine the first night, I slept from 10 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. and could not go back to sleep due to the hot flashes. Last night I got 4 hours of intermittent sleep with no change in hot flashes. Little sleep coupled with the drowsiness side effect of the med is really kicking my butt. Since it's really not helping with the hot flashes, I'm not taking it anymore. I'll live with the hot flashes."

GeorgiaGirl67 (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2016

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Under treatment for 5 years for Peripheral Neuropathy & severe burning pain in toes, feet, ankles & lower legs. W/Pain doctor, used 30mg Oxycodone 3X/day + 1.2 grams of Gabapentin 4 times/day + (at max.) 20 mg of Methadone, 4X/day. On Methadone for 2.5 years. Oxy for 4 years. Did a 6-month slow weaning off Methadone. Feeling much better now, but STILL get an occasional hot flash and massive sweats. Then, went "cold turkey" on the (FOUR YEARS of) Oxycodone. .Started Nucynta Extended Release: 150mg 2X/day. And used 0.3mg of Clonidine 3X/day for withdrawal. But WD was still pretty bad. Used frequent Medical Marijuana to handle WD symptoms."

Gary in New Hampshire (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Will try soon.. Nothing else to hold on to.."

YOGAROGAKAKUNASAROGA (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2016

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "I'd been having hot flashes at night for over 1 month but wasn't sure if that is what they were Finally spoke to my doctor who suggested an HRT or clonadine. I chose clonadine as I have the occasional high blood pressure and switched from a prescribed bp medicine to a natural remedy after 6 mths and getting it down. Clonadine worked that very night. I was getting hot flashes during the evening usually starting around 8.30pm. He warned me how it would make me sleepy, so I take it from 7-8pm at night and am asleep by 10pm. This way I am awake by 6-7am with no residual tiredness. I am on the .1mg. I now have the .025mg which I want to try, 3 at once. This is to lose the 5 pnds I gained at my waist since I stared the clonadine hence the 9."

51 yrs old July 23, 2016

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I was a trash can to say the least. A normal day over a 4 year period consisted of .2 of dope, 4/pure 15mg oxys, 2/10mg methadone, a little coke, 2/10mg adderall. Ishould b dead . I checked into detox and was given .1mg clonidine and 1mg ativan 2x a day for 3 days. Im on day 7 now of detox and 4 days off clonidine. Its a wonderful drug. It doesnt take 100% of wd away but atleast 80% of wd were kept at bay. The ativan makes you sleep through the majority of wd. But on day 5 I felt better than I had in years! After day 4 its a mind game of the fear of living without opiods, just stay busy and youll pull through. Trust me I never thought id pull through"

Yourstry July 12, 2016

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: "I absolutely have to say this drug is a miracle. I have severe insomnia and clonodine helps me greatly. I mean it completely knocks me out at night and I do not wake until the next morning. Which is just a wonderful thing for me and my long journey of struggles with insomnia."

adwarren (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2016

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "I was prescribed .05 mg twice a day (half a .1 mg tablet in a.m. and p.m.) for night sweats associated with early perimenopause. It worked perfectly with no side effects and I could again sleep through the nights. I took clonidine for approximately 9 months then went off the medication for 3 years. This year the night sweats came back and I've resumed taking the same dose of clonidine with the same wonderful results. It is a minimally invasive solution for a very disruptive problem."

894540 July 7, 2016

For Anxiety: "Started taking clonodine BID for severe anxiety (GAD, PTSD, PD), in conjunction with my benzos (PRN). I have tried almost everything else on the market and this was the first time I was really impressed with the effects. The first week and a half I appreciated the intense drowsiness but I powered through because I physically felt relief from my racing heart. Surely this medicine isn't for everyone, but it sure helps me."

AlPal July 6, 2016

For Hypertensive Emergency: "I now know how a baloon feels when it is deflated. I went to ER with 195/145. Clonidine brought it down very quickly. Only side effect was serious drowsiness shortly after. Thanks clonidine."

Bill Adams26 July 4, 2016

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Been doing opiates since i was 14, started with percocets, then oxy 10s got up to 10 80s a day by 19, then heroin at 22 , smoked 2 grams a day, plus 200mg methadone. in April i was introduced to fentanyl powder, i started at 0.1, it knocked me on my ass, within a month i was smoking 3 grams a day PLUS 200 mg methadone. I cold turkeyed for 3 days, couldn't stand the pain, i was literally SCREAMING like a little girl, so i took 100mg methadone, still VERY sick, for 3 days. Checked myself into a treatment centre, COLD TURKEY for 30 days. I am 30 days clean today, i have a 0.1 mg prescription of clonidine. It helps sort of i take it at nights for RLS. I haven't slept more then 2 hoursin 36 days but am feeling 80%. Sleep in a hot bath"

GaroH July 2, 2016

For Opiate Withdrawal: "This is my second attempt at withdrawing. My first attempt was back in February of 2016 from hydromorphone tabs 1mg x 16 a day. I went cold turkey and had no help except I used a bit of information from the Thomas recipe it was a bit helpful but my experience was horrific for a solid week. I started taking OxyContin 5/325mg a couple of months later cuz I couldn't take the pain and now I'm up to 10 a day and in a mess again. I went to the ER and asked for help with detoxing they gave me clonidine and lorazepam and I have to say I'm starting day two of the withdraw and I'm not feeling totally myself but their is less sweats and chills, the anxiety is almost nil. It's really helped me. i am even able to talk to people without any anxiety."

wendy dee June 14, 2016

For ADHD: "My almost 4 year old is extremely hyperactive. We have tried the stimulant and they just make him mean and more hyper. Clonidine before bed and 1/4 tab at noon and he is a different child. I hated putting him on medication, however he is so much happier not that he can control himself."

Adoptive mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2016

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: "I've been on this medication for about a year. I personally like to take short breaks from the medication and switch to melatonin as I've found that on just none stressful situations such as holidays I prefer to take melatonin over clonidine because I'm not stressed or I don't have to wake up early. I suffer from EXTREME restless legs (my whole body) all day and night it never stops. And extreme insomnia. When I sleep with out medication it normally takes me about 3 hours to fall asleep and I wake up every 10-20 minutes and it takes me about 5-10 minutes to fall back asleep. So obviously I don't get much sleep. But with melatonin and clonidine it has helped manage majority of my night time problems (day time we haven't found a solution"

Kjbr May 26, 2016

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Been on oxy n morphs since early/mid 90's had a couple back surgeries, got off them but pain always comes back, ran a couple days short this month, tried some clonodine n it seems to help w/some withdrawal but makes me dizzy, so b careful!!"

Zobbie (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

For Anxiety: "Works great for anxiety, it does cause sedation, but is highly effective for keeping the anxiety at bay."

DPDR Guy May 20, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I was taking Amlodipine I was for high blood pressure (about 160/85).. I had to stop taking it because I could get diarrhea 10 minutes after being constipated. My vision was blurry. My PCP prescribed 0.1 MG twice a day The medicine hardly made a change so my PCP increased it to two pills twice a day: no change at all. The side effects were horrible: a desert-dry mouth, fatigue, sleepiness, assorted muscle pains, a limp in my right leg. I stopped taking it and within 24 hours those symptoms disappeared."

Jan Pol May 17, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I am new to this drug. I've never had high blood pressure before now. Weight gain doesn't help it. I was on Norvasc 5 mg. It made my heart race & my face bright red. I called the pharmacy & asked about cutting it in half. They said it was OK to do. My pill cutter is inaccurate, so it was more like a 2/3 to 1/3 split when I cut it. I am cowardly regarding Rx medicine. I took the 1/3 pill. Same exact reaction - very fast heart beat & red face. I was only walking from the kitchen to the computer - not exercising. So I had this one (Clonidine) in the ER when I went in for back pain (which turned out to be shingles). It worked quickly in ER but made me dopey. I'm gonna try it for a week. I'm in my mid 60's."

Emma Jones (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2016

For Anxiety: "I'm experiencing ambivalence and general feeling of irritation and anger since I've been on this drug ...anyone else?"

zoochick (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "Was prescribed Clonidine last year after having umpteen hot flushes all day and through the night, my periods had stopped and they really helped, I felt great, slept well and back to "my old self" my periods started again 3 months ago and in the last 2 weeks the hot flushes are back with a vengence, I am on maximum dosage, really gutted as summer is upon us making them a million times worse, any advise or similar experiences would be very greatful for knowledge."

Maggi123 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 10, 2016

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "I started taking clonidine December 2015. I had to stop because of the side effects were terrible . I've struggled till today which is the 6 May 2016 . The doctor told me to take them again . A smaller dose . I'm 56 and been on the menopause for a year . I've not slept properly in all that time . If they don't work again . I think I'm going to take hrt. I don't really want to take it cause I'm scare of the risk with it . Wish every one well who going through the same as me ."

chrisyanne May 5, 2016

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "Started my menopause late 30's. I am very fit and thought I would sail through it! Instead I had so many hot flashes day and night plus anxiety and vey bad insomnia so much so I could not function. Thankfully my husband was very patient and caring as I would get very moody and emotional. I am now 57 and still going through it and after trying quite a few things which did not work (not HRT) I was put on clonidine 4 years ago, thank goodness as I do not have half as many hot flushes, very few sleepless nights so I'm not tired which makes me very happy. It obviously works for me and cannot believe I was not told about it sooner. I cannot remember having any side effects I.e dry mouth or headaches and I take 25mg a day."

Annie's April 30, 2016