User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Postural Orthostatic...ycardia Syndrome 1 reviews 4 medications

Benzodiazepine Withdrawal 4 reviews 0 medications

4.6
Summary of Clonidine reviews 432 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Clonidine

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: "My daughter was using melatonin for many years to help her fall asleep due to ADHD issues. But recently it stopped working and she was up for three nights straight. Her doctor prescribed clonodine and it has been wonderful. She is no longer drowsy during the day and is doing better in school and falls asleep at night within 1/2 hour after taking the clonidine."

Energize37 September 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: "I've been taking this medicine since I was little (4-6 years old?) it helped for a few years but now suddenly the side effects have been hitting me hard for 2 years. I definitely don't recommend this medicine for sleep as it is a high blood pressure medication. It makes my blood pressure extremely low, to the point my legs give out and I can't help but fall to the floor. I get very pale, drowsy, lightheaded, weak and it's not nice. It doesn't really help me "sleep" anymore I wake up 2-3 hours later and sometimes I wake up more than once. And the pills always seem to be in my system, I experience side effects every day. I totally regret my mom putting me on this medicine."

laniok (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hypertensive Emergency: "My underlying condition is sinus bradycardia of 48-58 and low diastolic BP in the 50s and isolated systolic hypertension, resistant to many meds and often spiking into stroke territory. Currently on HCTZ, atenolol, losartan for BP. Have also tried adding aldactone, amlodipine, and one other (forgotten) with no effect on systolic. Because of the bradycardia and low diastolic, my BP is more difficult to control. So....an ER doc about a year ago advised 0.5 Clonidine for spikes >200 systolic. The problem is worse now, and I am promised a Clonidine patch for control. Highs have been up to 246/90. Been in ER 3 times recently. Really appreciate Clonidine. No side effects. Tonight BP was 235/96; took .175 to bring it down over two hours."

Anonymous September 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I am in recovery (opiates of EVERY type since 2002) and being tapered down and it is a process that MUST be slow, measured and cautious! I would never imply someone was being less than honest, but many of these breezy, nearly symptom free withdrawal from opiates strains credulity to the breaking point. Only two people (so far) have been straight-up and said they are still going through some serious stuff, Clonidine isn't going to eliminate a single symptom ENTIRELY...my doc told me as much, and was correct. Clonidine will HELP. One person had it right here, username "WAITING FOR NEW START"-- "I took my clonidine and am sitting here with my restless leg syndrome...hoping for the best"-- THAT is the Truth. Manage your expectations --Good Luck!"

panickee (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tourette's Syndrome: "Oh My God. This stuff is no joke. It's time for me to talk about this one. I have a lot to say. First of all, this stuff works very quickly in almost completely neutralizing tic's. It also works almost instantly. The problem : A lot of side affects. This stuff will basically knock you out the first time you take it. I used to be on 0.3 mg three times a day. I slept for three days straight , except for getting up maybe two or three times a day to urinate , in a fog. I honestly don't remember hardly any of it for the first few months I was taking it. It's all just a blur. It also made my blood pressure drop very low. I'm talking fainting as soon as I stand up low. NEVER mix this drug with alcohol. I'm on .1 mg now. It's much better."

LOVELIGHT777 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I had been on morphine sulphate called mscontin for 12 years along with fentynal patch. MS is slow release as is patch. I decided to end this nightmare of Addiction and clean out. 3 months ago I tapered off the patch with no symptoms probably because of the MST I'm three days into detox after reducing dosage from 60 mg a day to 10 mg. Dr gave me clonidine 0.1 and lorazepam 1 mg. Both make me sleepy but I can't sleep more then 1 hr. Anxiety is always there and stomach upset, diarrhea and leg cramps. I wish I could say clonidine kept withdrawals away like others stated but that's not the case. I'm hanging in hoping tomorrow is better."

Jonboy11 September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I was shocked having been through awful withdrawals before how much of a difference it was. I was easily taking 100mg/day of oxy. I tapered down too fast in 5 days to 15mg then was out. Couldn't get subs because I was also taking Xanax. Clonidine is very underestimated. I took it after my last dose of oxy and at 24/48 hours, I was groggy and weak but no stomach cringing muscle tension or nausea. It took a few days but today on day 3 I'm just fatigued. Still no withdrawal. Doesn't stop cravings and renders me lazy as hell but better than full withdrawal"

Shmeglyn (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I was addicted to the most powerful opioid carfentanil unknowingly and the withdrawals are so bad that they can be fatal. The first day I tried to quit I took an 8mg sub and it didn't even help and I had to be rushed to the hospital. So I relapsed the next three days. Then I finally found out what I had been taking and decided to go to ER the next day and tell them. I told them to keep me cause I didn't know what would work. The doctor told me he'd prescribe clonodine and send me home. I never heard of that and didn't think it would work so I pleaded with him for me to stay. That didn't work. So I got them filled and took them and they kicked my withdrawals ass. Way better than a suboxone."

Drew Drew (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: "I was prescribed this medication when I was 11 years old after having sleeping problems, basically since birth. Started taking one a night, built up an immunity, ended up taking three every night as a teenager. At 19 years old, I decided I was sick of being dependent on this medication. I slowly weaned myself off of them but struggled to get a normal night sleep for about, a year. Then, started taking Tylenol p.m. for sleep which, can be detrimental if used long term. I'm now 22 and take three melatonin at night. Please, DONT GIVE CLONIDINE TO YOUR CHILDREN! I am technically, still in the process of weaning myself off of sleeping meds, and it's been years."

Ericabear August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "I am 47 and was having some really good hot flashes throughout most of the year, daytime/night time - hubby would say he could fry bacon on my butt lol, went to doc and I am taking 1 in morning 1 before dinner, and I am back to normal now :) maybe the odd HOT one sneaks out but happy to feel great again."

sexy minnion (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Started taking norco 10/325 after ulner nerve surgery 2006 it went from 5 a day to 15-20 just to function for the last 6 months started taking 6 30mg oxy. I tried suboxone but that equally addictive went right back to pills. My 2nd day of detox I needed help Dr. put me on clonidine I'm on my 4th day with no withdrawal symptoms trazadone for sleep. Clonidine does make you lil groggy but it does work. Good luck to all that's in detox or thinking about it."

Tsport (taken for 10 years or more) August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tourette's Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with Tourettes when I was about 12yrs old, I'm now 32. I've mainly been on clonidine and tenex for it over the years. The dry mouth is terrible, I will say that but Biotene(sp?) makes a dry mouth spray that is a life saver! That being said, I think the patches are amazing. My last switch from tenex to clonidine was so I could give the patches a try. You change it once a week, feels like you have constant coverage and I don't have sweaty palms like I did every time I was due for an oral dose. My dry mouth is not as bad on the patch - anyone that has suffered from this side effect knows how awful it can be and SO embarrassing! I was only tired when I went from .1-.2mg and it was only a couple of days. Try the patches!!!"

GoPatches (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I definitely would give this for heroin or sub withdrawal. I had been on a 12 year on binge with opiates and I can finally say I'm done with the whole life style nothing changes or gets better when you're using. Even though I was able to really be functional addicted I'm done using. All the money I've spent to stay well and just to make it to the next day. I'm done begin left in despair. I don't need drugs to be normal. It's just a way of killing yourself in many ways. Get help, do whatever you got to do, to finally stay clean. Never give up"

Functional Couch bug (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Catapres-TTS (clonidine) for High Blood Pressure: "It has reduced my blood pressure while taken in conjunction with 2 other drugs. However, I feel just plain lousy 2-3 days after taking it. My arms and legs feel leaden and I have no energy. As the week goes it those side effects appear to lessen and I feel ok. Then the cycle repeats itself. It has also reduced my heart beats to below 60. I wonder if this drug is worth it."

Joyce Milty August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Hi, wanted to add a post to help convince those who do not know clonidine yet that it's the best thing ever. I'd been using heroin for years before switching to methadone. It was fairly easy to taper 5mg at a time until 20mg, where it became more and more painful/stressful - I'm now at 4mg. I didn't have a clue about clonidine until two months ago, I looked it up on the internet and talked about it with my physician and he prescribed it to me. Then, the miracle happens: I switch from 5mg to 4mg, and 48h later at withdrawal symptoms onset I only had to take 0,5mg of clonidine to avoid ALL withdrawal symptoms. I had no sweats, no anxiety, no chills, no pins and needles, no trashy feeling... TRY IT, no side effects noticed."

Mr Z. August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "just started using it."

fuzzi4844 (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "So I have medical conditions (back and head) that caused me to have hydrocodone, oxycodone, Dilaudid and so on increasing from the accident until now. Wasn't so bad at first, then I realized I became mega nasty cow without them, and I wasn't even in pain. I would count my day around when I needed my meds. Finally one day we took the kids to the beach and I forgot my purse (with meds in it) I drove 12 miles home to get it and realized it was ruling my life. Talked to my DR and he prescribed clonidine. I am not going to lie, I was scared, like I'm going to die scared. But I took 2 mg every 4 hours the 1st 2 days and then 1mg the next 4. And I am free! Granted I had ambien and klonipin for sleep (only for detox). I hope the best for all of you!"

Justtryit August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tourette's Syndrome: "I used this medication for 3 days for motor tics (blinking and head jerking) The first day I took half a tablet in the morning and half a tablet at night. The side effects were horrible. Insomnia - feeling weak and lethargic - limbs would go numb especially when I'm trying to sleep - dry mouth - depressed - falling asleep/ dozing off at work and while driving (very dangerous) Day 2 and 3 I just took half a tablet at night and the side effects in the day weren't as bad but still there. The effects at night were just as bad if not worse I was only getting 3 good hours of sleep - the rest is praying to sleep. But in saying that, the tics did ease a little bit. I have now stopped the meds today. Will not take it again."

Mazza aye (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Have been on Clondidine 0.1 @ 3 times daily for a year. As long as I place my pills eight hours a part in a day, I am ok with them. They don't have the side effects the other blood pressure meds. have. I hope I never have to go off this med. I am 78 years old."

Dellia (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I've had a lot of experience using clonidine for withdrawal symptoms. Though I'm working on staying clean, I've smoked heroin (tar) for a long time, on and off. The dope I was getting was very strong, and because I smoked it, the withdrawal would make me extremely sick to my stomach, so that I'd be throwing up for days, literally every few minutes. I'd end up in the ER. But with clonidine, I'm hardly nauseous (though I still add an anti-nausea med). With clonidine, my withdrawal symptoms are much more bearable, though still difficult. It might make you sleep the first day or two, but I'm generally still pretty sleepless. IT MUST BE DOSED correctly and be careful. For example, I take .1mg every 4 hours, then a bit less the next day, etc."

Santa Monica P August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Was on oxycodone 10 mg for a year. Am now 72 hours clean from it. Started taking clonidine at the first hour. Took .2 mg every 5 hours for the first 48 hours. Dropped back to .1mg every 6 hours up until now. I have had zero withdrawal symptoms but I still have problems sleeping. The only downside is that it makes me very weak. I can barely walk. I would take being weak over the nasty withdrawal symptoms any day. I am 61 years old and I was hooked on various opiates back in 80s, went through many detox units and I never had an easier 72 hours than this time. I would recommend it to anyone."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "I have tried so many drugs for my ADHD and nothing has helped. My Med. Doctor gave me a GeneSight and it came back that I can take nothing for ADHD. So we tried Clonidine and I am so thankful we did. I don't obscess with thoughts and actions and have been able to sleep at night and get plenty of sleep. I do wake up with a bit of a hangover but that don't last long and that is okay because I'm sleeping at night. I am so thankful for Clonidine after many years of try different drugs and not getting stable this has been a wonder drug. I take Effexor and Latuda and with these drugs I am doing great. Thank god for these three drugs"

Pepper Dog July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "I have been taking Clonidine for 3 weeks now 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I have had no flushes in the last couple of days. Yippee!! I was having between 15-20 flushes in the day and every hour at night. Complete nightmare and I was absolutely shattered as not able to sleep. Unable to take HRT as have fibroids. For me a miracle drug and am hoping that the flushes do not return as they have sadly for some people."

SDLMac July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "I'm 49. I started taking 2 clonidine in the morning & 2 at night for my hot flushes & night sweats. Bingo!! Very much reduced. Until my body got used to them so Dr told me to take 3 in a morning & 3 at night - again BRILLIANT result, for about 3 weeks. Now they are worse than ever!!! I wake 3, 4, 5, 6 times a night and thats only WHEN I sleep. Usually by 2.30am I'm WIDE AWAKE having been woken by a night sweat, absolutely soaking wet with sweat. I feel yucky all the time, my skin is dry and my contact lenses are UNBEARABLE. I have headaches, cramps & my memory is shocking!!!! So..today i took the plunge. I went back to the Dr & have started on HRT today. I'm 49 (for 10 more days) "

Kazzie99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Was on Percocet 5/325 for 3 years started to build tolerance dose was increased as had some life issues arose so started 10mg of Ocycodone then 20 mg suspedol for 3 times a day and 10 mg Neo per day ??? Realized that it's turning into 6 a day habit versus 3 which means I'm Technically on 180mg oxycodone . I am only motivated by getting out of bed in the morning by taking 40 to start to get me moving and then some days I'm good sometimes I'm not :( but I am early a few days and buy off people that don't use theirs :( Just tookClonodine 0.1mg as I sit here at 2 am not being able to sleep from the salvia mouth and restless leg syndrome which I always get along with stomach pain and flulike symptoms and of course lower back pain.Hope this works"

Wanting a new start (taken for 10 years or more) July 14, 2017