User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Postural Orthostatic...ycardia Syndrome 1 reviews 4 medications

Benzodiazepine Withdrawal 4 reviews 2 medications

4.6
Summary of Clonidine reviews 371 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Clonidine

For Anxiety: "Clonidine has been outstanding in lowering BP and in reducing anxiety. I have lingering PTSD from a murder many years ago and from a stroke one year ago caused by high BP. Other BP meds have worked marginally but the Clonidine patch was highly effective at .1 mg but a bit too much a .2 mg lowering BP to 96/60. The only problem is the patch gives me a bright red itching rash on my arm and so I am going on the pills only and see if that works well. I'm hoping 0.1 mg twice a day should work since Clonidine has a 12 hour half life but we shall see. I highly recommend this drug for BP and anxiety but monitor BP with it to not go too low."

Richard0460 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Tourette's Syndrome: "My 12 year old daughter has had facial and motor tics, but since she started on clonidine it's like she no longer has Tourette's!"

Anonymous February 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Recently went to a cut rate low cost detox. They basically gave me a bed and Tylenol , Benadryl , clonidine . Nurse swore by it . I was very scared and had detoxed 24 hrs before entering so I was on second day. My withdrawals got to be more than I could endure. The pain was horrific!! Clonidine had done nothing for me but make me a little dizzy. I ditched the place after I realized the pain wasn't easing up . I contemplated death as an option v/s the withdrawals . It varies person to person. I had no luck and maybe the amount dope I been using played a factor as well as the amount clonidine they gave me ."

Bee tee . (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Benzodiazepine Withdrawal: "I have had a decade long experience with opiates and all the so called remedies for withdrawals . Suboxin, works as long as u wait until u have some withdrawals before dosing if not it puts u into withdrawals, god awful pain in minutes..subutex won't put u in withdrawals bc it doesn't have the 2nd ingredient which is a blocker . I realize things tend to work differently on different people. If taken properly I've never heard of subox not working. I want to be clean of it all ! Recently hit rock bottom and was able to find a free detox center which gave me Clonadine/ Motrin / Tylenol . Several doses of clondine made my vision fuzzy but once my withdrawals kicked in the pain was unbearable. My legs hurt so bad I wanted to cut them off !!"

Bee tee February 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Wow.. never thought I would be typing on this.. I am on day one taking Clonidine and helping.. please pray for me. I just wanna go back to my normal me. I clean homes for a living, does anyone know how long b4 I will have enough energy to go back to cleaning homes. I hate that I got myself here. I have a very bad back, and been taking 100mg of oxycodones for at least a year and a half. I'm ready, just wanna know it gets better.. I 4get and miss the normal me. Thanks everyone and God bless..."

Now here February 11, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "@MeliRz ...in response to the clonidine n anxiety. ...I've found that vistiril (Atarax ) does the same to me it's supposed to be for anxiety (non narcotic) n it's also for allergies (so it's like a prescription benadryl lol) but it makes me the opposite of calm lol....so I hear you ...what helps 20 others has the opposite effect on 1...guh it's that 1% lol...I've fell into the 1% catagory lol...."

Tpharmtech83 February 8, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For High Blood Pressure: "Hair loss . Sleepy, thirsty , low energy"

Sons04 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Tourette's Syndrome: "Clonidine was the first medication I tried after being diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome at age 14. I took it for about a month, and it heavily sedated me, thereby helping my minor tics. I took it again for about a week when I was 21, 0.1mg prescribed by another neurologist. This second time, I did not notice any sedation, but instead experienced day of constipation, so I discontinued."

frejf4 February 1, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "I've found clonidine to be unparalleled at preventing anxiety of the restless and impatient type. I.e. the kind of anxiety that keeps me from sitting in one place. I take clonidine before any engagement where I must sit for a while, e.g., waiting rooms, court rooms and so on. Places where some patience is in order. Clonidine is the best for this. The only side effect is a very slight dry mouth, and that only happens sometimes."

Delegate Fishmon (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 30, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Went from 50 mcgh fenteny patch every three days to 25 mcgh with only some uptake in my back pain an stomach upset, but no Restless leg or cold sweats an all the rest.This is really a God send to me I've been on the patch for 7 years with only an increase from every 3 days to every 2. Going back to every 3 days was almost unbearable until I read about Clonidine on here. And I'm now down to the 25 mcg patch. I'm hoping to keep cutting down until I'm off these completely. The reason I'm on them is because I'm allergic to oral pain meds but the Veterans Administration only wants to give them to dying patients sad because they worked great for me."

Kobuk (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 30, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I was on 100 mg of fentenyl with hydrocodone 10mg on top of that. I tried to quit cold turkey before but it was the worst experience of my life. I was given some clonidine from a friend. I took a 0.1 of clonidine at night with a gabapentin for my nerve pain in my arm. Sometimes I also took a 0.25 of Xanax. I'm on day four. The ONLY problems I have experienced is a little cramping, slight nerve pain (IF I went past the time I should've taken another dose of clonidine), and I'm very tired, and weak. I can hardly get up to do anything. I have zero cravings for opiates. Clonidine DEFINITELY works! Now, how do I get my energy back?"

OAB (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 29, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "How many mg are people taking? I have been on Oxy and Morphine for 15 years. I take 3-4 30mg Oxy and 2 100mg Morphine a day for back pain and Fibromialga. I want to wean down, but my dependence just isn't allowing it. Sweating, cramping, anxiety, relentlessness and everything else. I have a bunch of Clonidine I used to take, but it is .1mg. If I want to use it to wean myself off these meds so they are all I can think of instead of the pain, how much should I take? 6'1" 300lbs. Thanks all."

Overcon (taken for 10 years or more) January 22, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "I am almost 43 and started having hot flashes a year and a half ago. My daytime hot flashes were terrible. Talk about embarrassing. I looked like a sweating tomato. Everyone was always asking if I was ok. How do you tell perfect strangers to back off politely. I was 'slightly' irritable. At night was a thousand times worse. I felt like I was trying to sleep in a puddle. Tired of washing my pillows and linens everyday.. Started 0.1 mg twice a day today hoping it works. I am tired of living in a sauna. It's hard to even stay hydrated this way. It has to stop."

MarshaW74 January 21, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "I went through menopause at 50 and for 14 years suffered horrendous night flashes every 10 minutes. I tried different HRT but was bleeding constantly. I tried effexor but found after a while I was having break through hot flashes and I didn't like the idea of the terrible withdrawal symptoms when coming off them. So back on HRT patches, after seeing the gyno having DNC and hysteroscopy I was still bleeding. Now it was Christmas and all my general doctors were closed so I went to the only clinic I could find and the doctor said get rid of the patches and start taking Clonidine straight away I am only taking 25mg at night and in the morning. Three weeks now no bleeding no hot flushes and no side effects I am sleeping like a baby"

maid (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Ok, don't want to discourage anyone or step on any toes, but it didn't work for me. It really did nothing for my withdrawals or help to ease the anxiety at all, and if it did it was so minimal that I didn't notice. Took one tablet the first few days, nothing. Took two tablets in a second attempt to see if it could benefit me and all it made me feel really weird. I had to lay down, but not because it had a calming effect, just because it made me feel really weak and dizzy. It also gave me a dry mouth and gave me a really weird taste in my mouth. I'm glad people find them so helpful, but definitely not for me at all."

Ambersmith1985 January 16, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "Clonidine has been very effective in reducing both the intensity and frequency of my hot flushes and night sweats. At first I thought the drug would not work for me. It took a full month to see an effect as it is very subtle at first. Initial fatigue and dry mouth were troubling, but both have resolved themselves. Nice to get a proper night's rest again."

DHalhed January 15, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For ADHD: "My son used various stimulants for yrs for ADHD and ODD. Now 10, newly diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) and still struggling because of impulsiveness & high metabolism, the docs added non-stimulants. Intuniv dropped his bp way too low. Clonidine IR worked GREAT the 1st 2 days, then okay. Changed to Kapvay for long-acting effects, but we stopped because of awful insomnia for 2 weeks. I rated Clonidine IR as an 8 because when we went back to Clonidine IR, his insomnia stopped and it decreased his impulsiveness. It just stinks that he has to take it over and over again because it's short acting."

Mary Chi (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "clonidine is amazing !!! makes ya tired as hell but would rather feel tired than sick as hell... a true life saver I have no cravings with just a bit stomach cramps and lost my appetite but again would rather feel like I have gas than go through withdrawals"

gemmajace52 January 10, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Kapvay (clonidine) for ADHD: "My son has used various stimulants for 5 yrs. Still struggling because of impulsivity & super high metabolism, the docs wanted to add non-stimulants. We started w/ Intuiv, which dropped his bp way too low (75/43) so stopped after 2 wks. Tried Clonidine IR and it worked GREAT the 1st 2 days, then fine (not great, just fine). The doc changed to Kapvay for long-acting effects, but we stopped after 2 wks because he got awful insomnia (took 2-3 hrs to fall asleep instead of his usual 15 mins). Last night we went back to Clonidine IR - he fell asleep quickly and slept great! I give Kapvay a 2 because it decreased his impulsivity a bit, but the insomnia was awful, he got more aggressive/emotional, and really affected him negatively."

MaryChi (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Clonidine works..period."

Chang671 January 5, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "I was prescribed clonidine patch .2mg as I am on the taller side. I started it yesterday and it worked like a charm. Tonight I am experiencing hot flashes. It takes time for meds to build up. I was originally on brisdell which worked my insurance quit paying for it. I was then prescribed paroxetine 10 mg which stopped working. My doc suggested the clonidine and or some other SSRI's. For those of you that clonidine that didn't work talk to your doc about SSRI I'm remaking optimistic."

Chitown15 December 31, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "Help with my anxiety by alleviating the nausea and lowered my blood pressure which resulted in less flushing due to anxiety. May have to go a little higher on the dosage to find your sweet spot, but I started at on .1 and went to .2 twice a day and it has really helped."

kentuckyloan (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "As a functioning addict I Recently Entered Detox Program for a 10 year 110mg Methadone, nightly alcohol(wine,white1-2 litres) habit and 8 month dimenhydrinate(gravol) 750mg spread daily addiction. On day 6, havent slept a wink for 5 days. i was initially perscribed 80mg morphine sulfate 4 doses per day but was switched on day 2 to hydromorphone(dilaudid) 24mg for methadone, ativan for first 3 days for alcohol, seroqual 12.5mg for insomnia which was a disaster made me extremely groggy increased RSL and made feel like i was wearing concrete blocks on my feet, so was finally given .4mg Clonodine a welcome relief of RSL and Insomnia(2 thumbs to sky!!) Clonodine was the difference Highly recommend! On my way to drug free life(woohoo!)good luck"

FaithfullServant (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "So in the UK , you can get clonidine but not as opiate withdrawal , it's not even known about by my estimation by 90-95%u2105 of users , clinics , doctors , the alternative is Lofexadine , but to obtain this for a home detox is almost impossible , so after research clonidine is marketed as symptomatic treatment of the female menopause , thus meaning you can obtain it legally via online pharmacy facilities where you complete online consultation, then the meds are prescribed if you fit the criteria , seriously this medication is an absolute god send , I don't say this lightly but if you get the dosage correct , you will get 100% pain free withdrawal , you will be extremely drowsy and lathargic , watch your BP "

Comfy numb (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For High Blood Pressure: "Well- I was prescribed this in the ER for cardiac rythym issues and crazy cardio. Electrical activity. - transdermal - had periods of high and low BP no reason diagnosed yet. Also on 100x3mg morphine sulfate, MS Contin (es) 5x daily for severe back injury w. 7 surg. Had been able to not have ANY cardio issues at all- e.g.- sweating,pounding heart, erratic ryth. , ringing ears, feeling like passing out etc. also able to drop pain mgt by 30% no issues or wd. Worked like a charm and only knew about cardiac uses until I looked at the reviews here (no joke). stats-age 47 M/W no smoker no alcohol no rec. drugs. No other scripted meds."

Mr heart attack in the making (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016