User Reviews for Clonidine

Benzodiazepine Withdrawal
4.6

Summary of Clonidine reviews 7.4 496 reviews

Reviews for Clonidine

For Migraine Prevention: "I have found clonidine to be effective in treating both borderline high blood pressure and migraine. It has helped me to get both of those conditions under control."

Cricket (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2019

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: "I have taken 26 nights of taking two of the 0.1mg tablets of clonidine. It is for my inability to fall asleep I also have ADHD, this medication is ineffective for my inability to fall asleep naturally."

Ken (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: "I was given clonidine for a possible complex migraine. It was given IV in the ER. It caused extreme agitation, extreme restlessness tremors and overall BAD feelings. Lasted more than two hours. I was given two doses of Benadryl to treat reaction. But I was so scared. Never take this again. If anyone else has had this reaction please share. Yes"

Sandy (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2019

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: "This drug is spendy and if you lose one patch or falls off ..good luck getting insurance to cover! It is outrageous. I was on it for Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. Side effects are awful and mix with Anti Depressants or Anxiety sleep meds I've been having awful withdrawals for months and vomiting n retching for 7 weeks Do not use this Patch!"

Dee March 25, 2019

For Tourette's Syndrome: "My son began trying this medication for his Tourette's at 8. He has mild tourette's. This medication .1 mcg, puts him to sleep for at least 12 hours. Sure, he stops having tics, but is out like a light. He's 14 now and just endures his tics and he hasn't taken his clonodine in probably 2 years. Hoping he grows out of it, but will consider CBD's in future. Best of luck and best wishes to everyone who is suffering out there. I'm pulling for you."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 12, 2019

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Using this with low doses of valium/xanax really helps."

Hp97 March 5, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "My pharmacy always gave me Clonidine from the company Unichem. For some reason they changed to another company. When I took first dose instead of bringing down the BP like Unichem pill for clonidine did always instead it elevated. I never see under 170/99. This pill is not working as needed for what Unichem gave me in the same dose of 0.2. I hunted and came across an old Unicem bp pill and took it and my bp came down like it should had done. So the next time I am due for a pill I take the new brand and again it elevated. I am filing with the state medical board to investigate. This company is not making the pill at mg it is suppose to be. They have the dose incorrect is what the urgent care doctor stated and he has referred me to my family doctor to file report and get another medicine not with this company."

Danza (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2019

For Hypertensive Emergency: "Just want to add something to my comment of Sept 25 2017 above. I have subsequently learned of a condition called "secondary hypertension" that is not the same as "resistant hypertension" or "isolated" because it has another cause somewhere in the body. Could be renal, could be pulmonary, or a couple of other possibilities, and if you are struggling with systolic hypertension that is hard to treat, the advice is to look for an underlying cause and leave no stone unturned. In my case, renal and pulmonary have been ruled out through echo/doppler tests, and I am scheduled to see a specialist in secondary hypertension next week. The fight to maintain healthy BP can get exhausting."

Anonymous January 25, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "Prescribed 0.1mg for hypertension at my annual physical. Being unaware of this condition I did not know that I actually had white coat syndrome and that BP was not nearly as bad as office reading. This drug causes dry mouth and fatigue in addition to orthostatic hypotension which makes you lightheaded upon standing. Check your BP at home. It might be lower than you think. Overall not a good experience. Change your diet and exercise. BP will normalize and you won’t have to deal with side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "Clonidine will lower your blood pressure when nothing else works, but once you've been on it a few years (I've been on .3mg twice a day for almost 12 since I was 27) you will be stuck with it. If I miss a dose my BP can easily rise to 240/130 so use it only as a last resort after trying other meds. I have had a blood pressure problem since my early 20s and tried many other meds first, 2 of which I'm still on in conjunction with clonidine. The main side effects are dry mouth and sedation also postural hypotension (feeling faint when you stand up) these effects will mostly go away after a few weeks. It's extremely powerful so try all the others first, like I said it does the job but the rebound hypertensive effect of missing a dose will make you feel like garbage and is deadly."

Ron (taken for 10 years or more) December 29, 2018

For Opiate Withdrawal: "For me, clonidine should be a very, very *last resort* medication for opiate withdrawal -- i.e., if absolutely nothing else is available. The reason is, clonidine actually intensifies one of the worst opiate withdrawal symptoms: mental depression & weakness. So basically I go from feeling like awful -to- feeling like double awful. And when (we) feel like double awful, then we want to 'use' (opiates) again. This is why clonidine has a very low "retention rate", vs. meds like Suboxone and methadone."

Skinny Tree (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 18, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "My BP was 180/118 for my DOT physical, was prescribed this and told to return next day. Next day BP was still high. I've been taking a 0.2mg/day for a week, lowest BP was 175/101. Now taking .2mg every 12hrs, 0.4mg/day. BP 194/113"

Alex_C (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Tendon problems back of calves and my heels are in pain so I can't walk well. Does the blood pressure ok."

Sore feet December 13, 2018

For Hypertensive Emergency: "I went into renal failure and my doc discontinued HCTZ. Then put me on metopolol and losartan 100mg. Amlodipine made my legs swell terribly. ACE inhibitors made me cough. Hydrazaline gave me petechiae, cough, shortness of breath and severe headaches. Clonidine worked and only gave me dry mouth. Problem is clonidine is only effective ~6hrs and the doc wants to cut it down. My BP goes to 180/110 without clonidine. I like clonidine, it works. I only take it when my BP gets to 140/90 or higher. We are going to try the transdermal patch."

Bayou B (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 11, 2018

For ADHD: "Trying this med for numerous reasons. Works for blood pressure but pulse jumps up over 100 at rest. Possibly due to using Diovan (valsartan) as well. Prescribed by psychiatrist to counteract effects from hypertension from taking add meds. BTW, clonidine is prescribed for children, but will lower blood pressure. Be careful if you do have low blood pressure. But give it a try for a week or at least speak with your doctor if you have other symptoms."

NTG898 (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2018

For Anxiety: "Been on this med since September 2018, after one week, had trouble breathing, tight chest, gasping for air. Caused panic. Heart, lungs all checked this med is only difference. It is November 30 and tapering off now. Looking forward to breathing free again. Would not recommend this med."

whmcf2 December 1, 2018

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: "I literally started this medicine 2 weeks ago and it doesn’t do anything for me. It knocks me out for a good 5 hours tops, I wake up on and off throughout the night. No matter what my dose is it’s all the same. I want new medicine"

unhappy (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I''m Bipolar II with Complex PTSD. I have horrible insomnia. I am in a hypomanic phase and I have not been sleeping for about 3 weeks. I took Clonidine last night and within 1/2 hour I was fast asleep. Slept 8 hours."

Suzy (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2018

For ADHD: "My son is 9 years old and he takes clonidine for ADHD he takes it twice a day - half in morning and other half a night. It made him really angry and saying really Bad Things I tried changing telling the doctor to change the medication but she does not want to so instead of changing it she gave me hydroxyzine for the anger but now she gave me clonidine three times half in the morning half in the afternoon and half in the night"

Clau (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2018

Catapres-TTS (clonidine) for High Blood Pressure: "Have had no problems with it."

Vet November 6, 2018

For Anxiety: "Kicks in slower than a benzo but works"

Fred (taken for less than 1 month) October 30, 2018

For Anxiety: "I have severe panic attacks my blood pressure goes up to 203 over a hundred and one my heart pound so hard I get makes me cough, it is extremely irregular and my chest gets tight and painful almost. I am scared of everything around me, loud noises cause me to jump and scream I am so uncomfortable I sit and cry and cry. I have tried medications for over 30 years and over the last 10 years things have become worse and worse. I was started on clonidine and am now able to tolerate the above. There was one time in particular I ended up having to take .3 mg to bring down my blood pressure it was so high I highly recommend this drug use it all the time I take it with me in my purse I enjoy my life again"

Laura October 17, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Finally, after trying different medicines for high blood pressure, I was given Clonidine. This medicine has my BP perfect! I am so relieved and thankful!"

Dahlia (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2018

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I have severe fibromyalgia and 7 years ago I needed a total knee replacement that’s when I started taking ocycodone 5mg and the amounts were getting higher. The doctor gave meOxyContin 10mg because I was starting to have withdrawals I now have the right knee to do. I have to go off all the opioids. My primary doctor gave me Clonidine 0.1 mg two weeks ago. I was taking 3 OxyContin and four oxycodone a day after I myself weaned off 4 other oxycodone months ago. So tonight I took away my last OxyContin and I have withdrawals. I have taken a clonidine and I think I am going to take another I am so fidgety and I feel like something is crawling inside me and I have bloating that I look 4 - 5 months pregnant. I am 75 years old. Hoping things get better but then I will have the oxycodone to stop."

Deelee (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 2, 2018

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: "Been on Clonidine for 2 years. Sometimes it takes 30 mins to activate, other times it take 5. I use it mostly for ADD and anxiety. I went 14 years without getting a proper nights sleep. I failed many classes because of it. Doctor gave me this, now I sleep like a champ. It is good at falling asleep not staying. Wayyyy better for you than melatonin (which is fake news anyway)."

daysaytonmike (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 1, 2018