User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Postural Orthostatic...ycardia Syndrome 1 reviews 4 medications

Benzodiazepine Withdrawal 3 reviews 2 medications

5.2
Summary of Clonidine reviews 357 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Clonidine

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Ok, don't want to discourage anyone or step on any toes, but it didn't work for me. It really did nothing for my withdrawals or help to ease the anxiety at all, and if it did it was so minimal that I didn't notice. Took one tablet the first few days, nothing. Took two tablets in a second attempt to see if it could benefit me and all it made me feel really weird. I had to lay down, but not because it had a calming effect, just because it made me feel really weak and dizzy. It also gave me a dry mouth and gave me a really weird taste in my mouth. I'm glad people find them so helpful, but definitely not for me at all."

Ambersmith1985 January 16, 2017

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "Clonidine has been very effective in reducing both the intensity and frequency of my hot flushes and night sweats. At first I thought the drug would not work for me. It took a full month to see an effect as it is very subtle at first. Initial fatigue and dry mouth were troubling, but both have resolved themselves. Nice to get a proper night's rest again."

DHalhed January 15, 2017

For ADHD: "My son used various stimulants for yrs for ADHD and ODD. Now 10, newly diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) and still struggling because of impulsiveness & high metabolism, the docs added non-stimulants. Intuniv dropped his bp way too low. Clonidine IR worked GREAT the 1st 2 days, then okay. Changed to Kapvay for long-acting effects, but we stopped because of awful insomnia for 2 weeks. I rated Clonidine IR as an 8 because when we went back to Clonidine IR, his insomnia stopped and it decreased his impulsiveness. It just stinks that he has to take it over and over again because it's short acting."

Mary Chi (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

For Opiate Withdrawal: "clonidine is amazing !!! makes ya tired as hell but would rather feel tired than sick as hell... a true life saver I have no cravings with just a bit stomach cramps and lost my appetite but again would rather feel like I have gas than go through withdrawals"

gemmajace52 January 10, 2017

Kapvay (clonidine) for ADHD: "My son has used various stimulants for 5 yrs. Still struggling because of impulsivity & super high metabolism, the docs wanted to add non-stimulants. We started w/ Intuiv, which dropped his bp way too low (75/43) so stopped after 2 wks. Tried Clonidine IR and it worked GREAT the 1st 2 days, then fine (not great, just fine). The doc changed to Kapvay for long-acting effects, but we stopped after 2 wks because he got awful insomnia (took 2-3 hrs to fall asleep instead of his usual 15 mins). Last night we went back to Clonidine IR - he fell asleep quickly and slept great! I give Kapvay a 2 because it decreased his impulsivity a bit, but the insomnia was awful, he got more aggressive/emotional, and really affected him negatively."

MaryChi (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Clonidine works..period."

Chang671 January 5, 2017

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "I was prescribed clonidine patch .2mg as I am on the taller side. I started it yesterday and it worked like a charm. Tonight I am experiencing hot flashes. It takes time for meds to build up. I was originally on brisdell which worked my insurance quit paying for it. I was then prescribed paroxetine 10 mg which stopped working. My doc suggested the clonidine and or some other SSRI's. For those of you that clonidine that didn't work talk to your doc about SSRI I'm remaking optimistic."

Chitown15 December 31, 2016

For Anxiety: "Help with my anxiety by alleviating the nausea and lowered my blood pressure which resulted in less flushing due to anxiety. May have to go a little higher on the dosage to find your sweet spot, but I started at on .1 and went to .2 twice a day and it has really helped."

kentuckyloan (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2016

For Opiate Withdrawal: "As a functioning addict I Recently Entered Detox Program for a 10 year 110mg Methadone, nightly alcohol(wine,white1-2 litres) habit and 8 month dimenhydrinate(gravol) 750mg spread daily addiction. On day 6, havent slept a wink for 5 days. i was initially perscribed 80mg morphine sulfate 4 doses per day but was switched on day 2 to hydromorphone(dilaudid) 24mg for methadone, ativan for first 3 days for alcohol, seroqual 12.5mg for insomnia which was a disaster made me extremely groggy increased RSL and made feel like i was wearing concrete blocks on my feet, so was finally given .4mg Clonodine a welcome relief of RSL and Insomnia(2 thumbs to sky!!) Clonodine was the difference Highly recommend! On my way to drug free life(woohoo!)good luck"

FaithfullServant (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2016

For Opiate Withdrawal: "So in the UK , you can get clonidine but not as opiate withdrawal , it's not even known about by my estimation by 90-95%u2105 of users , clinics , doctors , the alternative is Lofexadine , but to obtain this for a home detox is almost impossible , so after research clonidine is marketed as symptomatic treatment of the female menopause , thus meaning you can obtain it legally via online pharmacy facilities where you complete online consultation, then the meds are prescribed if you fit the criteria , seriously this medication is an absolute god send , I don't say this lightly but if you get the dosage correct , you will get 100% pain free withdrawal , you will be extremely drowsy and lathargic , watch your BP "

Comfy numb (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Well- I was prescribed this in the ER for cardiac rythym issues and crazy cardio. Electrical activity. - transdermal - had periods of high and low BP no reason diagnosed yet. Also on 100x3mg morphine sulfate, MS Contin (es) 5x daily for severe back injury w. 7 surg. Had been able to not have ANY cardio issues at all- e.g.- sweating,pounding heart, erratic ryth. , ringing ears, feeling like passing out etc. also able to drop pain mgt by 30% no issues or wd. Worked like a charm and only knew about cardiac uses until I looked at the reviews here (no joke). stats-age 47 M/W no smoker no alcohol no rec. drugs. No other scripted meds."

Mr heart attack in the making (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

For Anxiety: "Clonidine is excellent for performance and social anxiety. But I think its crucial to get the dosage just right for your body weight & metabolism, so that one doesn't get unnecessarily sedated or have dry mouth. I only use clonidine every now & a blue moon (i.e., rarely), often before a situation or event where I'll need extraordinary patience. I take just 0.1 mg. for this purpose. It prevents nervous tremors of the hand, restlessness and sweating."

Johnny Doe (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 24, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I take it at night because my Doc said it could cause drowsiness but I have taken it during the day if I have a BP spike and I've never had drowsiness or dizziness, guess I'm lucky considering what I have read here, I also take amlodipine in the morning and don't have any side effects with that."

manicmaggie (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 24, 2016

For Anxiety: "I take it in conjunction with lorazepam and trazadone at night, the combo helps me sleep and remain calm, it has some blood pressure effect, I do take additional blood pressure in the morning as clonidine isn't enough for my high BP"

manicmaggie (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 24, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have had severe PTSD, and anxiety for several years. I also have ADD, and insomnia. I started taking Clonidine and it immediately worked! My physical anxiety halted so quickly I almost didn't believe it. The only problem I have with it is it does make me extremely dizzy. I'm only on 1Mg a day but every time with out fail I get dizzy and a bit sleepy for about an hour."

CarlyM (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2016

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "I take 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I'm not finding any relief from the hot flushes."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2016

For Anxiety: "This medicine made me beyond irate! It's supposed to help with anxiety and insomnia due to anxiety. I've been up for 5 days now with an average of maybe 2 hours of sleep if that a night. Complete opposite effect and I'm so tired. But my brain won't stop running with thoughts. Weird thoughts. On the bright side my house is spotless and I've managed to fill my freezer and counter with countless baked foods and pastries. Smh."

MeliRz December 13, 2016

For Anxiety: "Was having a very bad moment (anxiety attack). Very shallow breath of, tight chest, fast heartbeat...just could not relax. Took .1 mg and felt a difference in about 20 minutes and much better within an hour. The chest tension was about 90% gone and I could finally relax. Only downfall is that it makes me drowsy!"

MommaAnxiety (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have been on a month and helps with anxiety. The nausea and muscle tension has went away. I would recommend. Few side effects, and you will get use to the drug after about a 2 week period. Will make your hands and feet cold, but I can deal with that."

Middle Age Male (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2016

For Anxiety: "Complex Ptsd, extreme anxiety,border line personality disorder,insomnia,social phobia and fear fear fear over nothing! Valium once a day for 4yrs. Last 2months have been extreme anxiety valium not working as good just had a clonidine i feel great. My neck n shoulders feel like new. No straining. My eye tension is gone so my headache is gone too. So far so good. Very happy."

Vanessa78 December 5, 2016

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "This is my first week using the patch. I am taking 0.1. Reason for going on this, I have been having horrific hot flashes. My doctor suggested, I take Clonidine. I was a tad skeptical at first, but I gave it a try. I still have small hot flashes here and there but nothing like the way it was before. I am actually wearing a long sleeve shirt with a jacket compared to wearing dressy tank everyday… First day I was on it, I felt like, I was hit by a bus, I was extremely tired. 5 cups of coffee did not even wake me up or given me any energy. I start my next patch on Friday. I will see if I get tired and keep you all posted. So far ten stars. I am actually smiling more because I am not overheated and I don’t look a mess"

Sike0726 (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2016

For ADHD: "My 11-year-old son has been diagnosed with PANS (Pediatric Acute-onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome).. Clonidine is so effective with my son that we only give him 1/8 of his pill. If I give him 1/4 he is very tired in the morning. He is also on a very small dose of Prozac. He takes Clonidne as needed for anxiety as the Zithromax (antibiotics) got rid of his tics so he doesn't need the Clonidine anymore for that. But sometimes his anxiety acts up at night and Clonidine relaxes him so he can sleep. He also has 1/2 a 3mg of melatonin but he can only take melatonin now that his tics are gone because before it made him tired while he was wired and that was uncomfortable. Anyway, Clonidine is the best medication for his anxiety, but if we give him the diagnosed amount he is a zombie in the morning"

Mom of PANS Kid November 29, 2016

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I have a long history of severe opiate addiction. My drug of choice was IV hydromorphone. I struggled with cravings when clean for years. In Feb this year I found a study which suggested that clonidine could be used as long-term therapy for stress-induced cravings in cocaine addicts. I asked my doc to try this on me and he did. I am on 0.1-0.3 mg 4 times a day. Have been for almost 10 months. Careful about low blood pressure at first. The first dose I took immediately eliminated my cravings, which I found incredible to believe. Not only did I not crave but I did not care. 2 months later also using the patch, I quit smoking. I don't crave cigarettes either, even around smokers. Highly recommended."

nurse jackee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2016

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I was Rxd clonodine for my severe hypertension at .2 three times a day and it helped TREMENDOUSLY with my blood pressure AND my methadone taper. I also take Metoprol... So far it's working great!"

sopranofan (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 26, 2016

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "I struggled with flushes which was uncomfortable , embarrassing and distressing. My GP suggested this drug and it transformed my daily life. On average one hot flush a day , feel great , sleep has improved and I am not irritable."

Kaff (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 24, 2016