User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Postural Orthostatic...ycardia Syndrome

Benzodiazepine Withdrawal
4.6

Summary of Clonidine reviews 7.4 457 reviews

Reviews for Clonidine

For High Blood Pressure: "I have problems with blood pressure meds, but the clonidine patch is horrible. It has caused a lot of bad side effects, I feel horrible all the time, it has caused bad reactions with my other meds."

Kathy May 28, 2018

For Hypertensive Emergency: "Be very careful with Clonidine. It worked well for me, but then my bp started spiking every day and I'd need the Clonidine again to lower it. It was causing a blood pressure rebound. They have switched me now to a different med."

vjm1639 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 11, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I have used probably 12 or 13 different blood pressure medications in the last 20 years. Clonidine lowers your blood pressure NOW. After 2 doses my blood pressure is 109/70. For me the sedation is here and there, not every day. Has a good calming effect."

mmcubb (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2018

For Anxiety: "Clonidine can totally change your life. It can also make you a zombie during the first 2 to 4 weeks, but eventually you will normalize and become used to it. Only take the minimum needed to reduce your anxiety. Any more makes you a kind of altered consciousness (not in a good way) that leaves you empty of thought and too heavy, weak, tired and slow to live an ordinary life. For me, the dry eyes, and dry mouth is pretty bad if I take more than the usual dose. It also seems to alter the way some foods taste. It turns chocolate into a waxy, greasy mess (not in reality, just for you.) and most high fat processed foods taste really bad. Fresh foods and even natural fatty meat still tastes normal. I love and eat a lot of chocolate so this is a serious side effect!"

KrustyArt (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2018

For Opiate Withdrawal: "After 2 years on Subutex I want off. My doc has been gradually tapering me down over months (I was only ever on 8mg a day dose) and I am now only on 2mg every 2nd day of subutex tab. This week he sent me off with Valium and Clonidine. He said of course there will be discomfort. There is always going to be discomfort coming off opioids. It is inevitable but he also said that every 2nd day the discomfort I feel will be halved. I practice yoga daily, meditate and walk around the lake so I will continue these activities and take the clonidine and/or Valium as prescribed if I feel I absolutely need to. I had in the past has been rushed to hospital in an ambulance suffering withdrawals from oxycontin that felt like I was dying, vomiting and pooing everywhere, waking up in hospital 14 days later thinking I'd been there for 2 days - personally this feels like a walk in the park. I wish everyone luck living life free from addictive substances. Kind Regards from Australia K"

K March 30, 2018

For ADHD: "My autistic/adhd son finally gets rest at night and is much more calm during the day. I was scared to put him on meds so nice he is only 3 but it was for the best. So far so good!"

Vicki (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2018

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "I had used Bioidentical HRT for about 10 years until I had an abnormal mammogram with calcifications. I was told no more BHRT. Even though I tapered down, I soon began having night sweats and hot flashes again. At 64, this was just unacceptable! I heard about Clonidine. I don't like taking medications if I don't have to, but I was desperate to find relief. I have been using only 0.1 MG once a day instead of twice a day as directed, mainly because I simply can't remember to take it twice. So far, I think it's doing what it's intended. Has anyone else found relief taking it only once a day?"

Passim (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2018

For Tourette's Syndrome: "I would like to say that I've had tourette motor tics since I was about 11. I would gain new ones now and again some will go away then develop a new one. Anyways I just got a new one about 2 months ago cranking my neck and head movements. They were getting really really bad 24 hours a day constantly doing this thing with my neck/head. And because I'm trying to get pregnant my doctor was trying to find the right med I can take so she chose clonidine which I will have to stop once I get pregnant. I don't care I just want relief like now! But anyways I took my dose about 2 hours ago and I am now at home laying down on the computer researching this medicine and I haven't ticked!!!!!! I am literally laying here normal and shocked OMG I am so happy but shocked at the same time because I literally just took my dose 2 hours ago and its already working for my tics! Anyways just wanted to share that. My dose is 0.05 once daily of clonidine. So far its working and I'm hoping it continues to work."

stickyswife February 14, 2018

For Tourette's Syndrome: "I have never used medication for my tics. I have always had a high frequency but my tics are very mild and hard to notice. At the age of 23 my life got consumed by my tics. I was struggling with severe tic anxiety which made my tics significantly worse. I ended up having between 10-20 mild tics every minute. I started taking 0.15 Clonidine 3x a day and after roughly two months my tics reduced significantly and my anxiety was gone further reducing my tics. My tic frequency has been reduced by roughly 90-95%. The only bad side effect I have is trouble sleeping (I wake up too early). My other side effects are mild sedation, which helps my ADHD, and dry mouth and dry hands which are beneficial as I used to have sweaty hands and excessive suliva production. Start with a lower dose. I started on 0.15 three a day and I was sick for the first week. I am also a big 6'2" fellah who attends the gym rather frequently so I had my body weight in my favor too. Be careful starting your treatment!"

Nihmen February 5, 2018

For Anxiety: "This medication makes me so tired I can't even function. I take 0.2 mg and I'll be in bed all day and can't even get up. I took it for a week thinking it would eventually wear off like with a lot of other medications but it never did and it just makes me feel so terribly exhausted that I couldn't take it anymore. Now I just take it to help me sleep and it works good like that but not for anxiety."

CrimsonRegrets January 10, 2018

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "After having hot flashes and night sweats for over two months and keeping hubby awake all night. I decided to go see my Dr. today, she prescribed Clonidine HCL 0.1 mg. I just took my first dose and am very skeptical on what it will do. Wish me luck and I’ll keep you posted."

Auntyanne (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2018

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I was on 40 mg oxy, three times a day following a head on car collision. I went through therapies, 7 procedures, injections...you name it. Some things helped temporarily, but pain would always return. I realized what a fog I was in. My pain doc upped my dose (by 5 mg) I had been on the same dose for 2 years. I always dosed as prescribed. I became nearly bedridden. I couldn’t get up often and still had pain. I also had to have my meds with me. I asked the doc to get off of it, he gave me clonidine . I take one every 6 hrs on day 2-3, and then every 8 hrs day 4-7. Been off all pain meds since June 2017! :) YOU CAN DO IT!! I still have pain, but I am clear headed. EAT healthy. And no matter how hard it is make yourself get out of bed! 1-2 weeks you’ll feel good"

AzChrisLee (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2018

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I’ve been on Percocet for 6 months for post-surgery and also Norco 10/325 for years for an unrelated condition. My surgeon took me off the Percocet recently and I was worried I’d have withdrawal symptoms. My pain management doctor prescribed the Clonidine patch and it worked like a charm."

Mjr541963 (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2018

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "This is a miracle medication. I have only been on it for a week and it worked the first night! I have suffered hot flushes for 10 years, worsened by a hysterectomy in 2016, I was flushing about every 20 mins, day and night .Now I have only about 3 mild flushes during the day and none at night after just one week! I'm sleeping cool, under the doonah, with my clothes on! How good is it to have a full nights' sleep?!?! I feel very positive and look forward to taking the fully prescribed dose of .5 tab morning and night. (I'm currently on .25 of a tab for another week.) I am 50 years old. This is the best thing that has happened to me in years!"

halelulja! (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "No. No. No. Scary. I never had sleep problems and when I went to the doc my blood pressure was high because of somethings going on in my life. She said here take this. I got home took it and woke up with dreams that scared me so bad and then I felt drained all day. I've been on it 3 days I don't like it. Last night took my normal med slept better then I have all week."

sarahita (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2017

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Figured I would share my experience and review of clonidine as I’ll add to this as I go through my withdrawal. My story isn’t unique of course, though 16 years on pain meds my credentials are well earned (and a 4 year heroin habit mixed in).. I have many health issues, and many problems with abuse, which make 16 years pretty incredible haha but makes suboxone out of the question (same for kratom) another habit i don’t need. Last year I discovered an old friend from my youth (marijuana, and yes I’m aware there is some hypocrisy) which compared to my morphine was far and away a better pain alternative for me. So today 12/16 my journey to rid my body mind and soul of this rubbish"

WillyB73 December 17, 2017

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "Have been having hot flushes for years at night which are getting worse. Tried HRT for years but had to come off because of my age. Chemist suggested I ask Doctor about this drug. After 3 days I couldn't keep my eyes open. I managed for 4 hours then went to sleep for 4 hours. Hot flushes don't seem quite as bad. I only hope that this tiredness and drowsiness goes. Cant be doing with this."

Mettie49 December 5, 2017

For Opiate Withdrawal: "After being addicted to narcotics on and off for many years, I finally, with the strength of my lord and savior told Dr's I am done. Withdrawals were horrible the first couple days and nothing was helping. On day three of no narcotics and just started clonidine 0.1 yesterday. It works wonders but my only complaint is that I work full time so today I'm going to try just taking one at night. Kudos for all those kicking this awful narcotic addiction, God is so good!!!"

Mickey1247 December 4, 2017

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Marin County CA.... You described my night. I don't abuse my meds and take as prescribed. I use the fentynal patches. I put my last patch on for the month and it fell off unbeknownst to me. By the time I realized I was in withdrawal. Went to the ER as my pain Dr said and they refused to help. My pain Dr gives me 2 months of prescriptions because I've been seeing him since 2012. So to the ER thought I had the jacked up patch, my box showing when the Rx was filled along with my Rx request for my patch to be filled in 2 days. They would not do ANYTHING for me. It's frustrating. I called my Dr back and they called in the catapres. I'm hoping, like you, it helps. I just wish that ppl like us would get some compassion. I'm 43 and have NEVER used illegal drugs."

Glmsw (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2017

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I have been addicted to pills ever since I was 16 (32 now ) and didn't start using opiates for menstrual pain till 2008 and became addicted. I wanted to quit after countless times of trying to quit but because of withdrawal symptoms it was getting difficult so the doctor prescribed me clonidine this past winter back in February for withdrawal. After being sick from withdrawal after 2 wks of trying to quit times and it helped with the cramping but after I got a job housekeeping I went back on meds to try keep up with my job and kids. So now I am back to where I started - only now withdrawal is getting worst. After 8 days of staying clean I relapsed because of all the muscle aches "

Anonymous November 22, 2017

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "My GP prescribed Clonidine 25mg twice a day, as I was having so many hot flushes, it was becoming impossible to live a normal life, I'm 51, and definitely peri-menopausal ! Since taking clonidine my symptoms have improved 100% ! I might get the odd flush now & again, but nowhere near as bad as they were before, if these work, without me having to take HRT, I'm very happy."

Lizzie66 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "I am being weaned off valium, but I still on morphine.. I have been going through withdrawal symptoms. Sweating , insomnia, anxiety, panicky, stomach pain, BP going up to stroke zone, glucose levels, just as bad. All of September and October have been some of the worst days of my life.Dr. put me on Clonidine for high blood pressure, made it go higher and I am sleeping my life away... not good."

Shellyyme (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2017

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I'm on the first day of being off of my pain medication. I take Norco 10mg 4 times a day. My pain management doctor is a godsend to me and is doing everything he can to help me off the medication. I do have a chronic problem with degenerative disc disease and arthritis in knees and hips. Something I will live with the rest of my life. I've tried cutting back before without the use of any subsequent medications to help with the withdrawal symptoms. Definitely unsuccessful. I read in one of the comments from a person that nicknamed herself Justryit, and found her comment to be completely helpful. I'm scared to get off the medications because I too have let them be my focus on the things that I do to make sure that I have my medication."

Scaredbutdetermined (taken for 10 years or more) October 28, 2017

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "I'm on my second week of using the clonidine patch for the terrible flushes and night sweats. What a difference! Yes I still have 2 or 3 during the day , maybe 2 at night . Nothing like I was having so it's a great relief. I am having headaches but I think I can deal with them rather than sweating profusely and no sleep."

Life changing (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2017

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I require large doses of high strength opiates after an accident left my spine irreversibly damaged and in excruciating intractable pain. As the media and public demonizes these drugs since addicts abuse/overdose, (a lifesaver for the people prescribed/deserving) the times where I've been unable to obtain my normal refill and shamed out of the ER trying to explain I'm not a drug seeker have increased. I'm left in extreme pain along with withdrawal symptoms- a combination so incredibly brutally agonizing/horrific. One time I happened to have Clonidine for anxiety 0.1, taking 2-4 every 4-6 hrs (no Dr. would agree) and it relieved 70% of all symptoms. Very, very tired, but 100% WORTH IT."

Marin County CA (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2017