User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Clonidine.

Postural Orthostatic...ycardia Syndrome

Benzodiazepine Withdrawal
4.6

Summary of Clonidine reviews 7.2 441 reviews

Reviews for Clonidine

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "Have been having hot flushes for years at night which are getting worse. Tried HRT for years but had to come off because of my age. Chemist suggested I ask Doctor about this drug. After 3 days I couldn't keep my eyes open. I managed for 4 hours then went to sleep for 4 hours. Hot flushes don't seem quite as bad. I only hope that this tiredness and drowsiness goes. Cant be doing with this."

Mettie49 December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "After being addicted to narcotics on and off for many years, I finally, with the strength of my lord and savior told Dr's I am done. Withdrawals were horrible the first couple days and nothing was helping. On day three of no narcotics and just started clonidine 0.1 yesterday. It works wonders but my only complaint is that I work full time so today I'm going to try just taking one at night. Kudos for all those kicking this awful narcotic addiction, God is so good!!!"

Mickey1247 December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Marin County CA.... You described my night. I don't abuse my meds and take as prescribed. I use the fentynal patches. I put my last patch on for the month and it fell off unbeknownst to me. By the time I realized I was in withdrawal. Went to the ER as my pain Dr said and they refused to help. My pain Dr gives me 2 months of prescriptions because I've been seeing him since 2012. So to the ER thought I had the jacked up patch, my box showing when the Rx was filled along with my Rx request for my patch to be filled in 2 days. They would not do ANYTHING for me. It's frustrating. I called my Dr back and they called in the catapres. I'm hoping, like you, it helps. I just wish that ppl like us would get some compassion. I'm 43 and have NEVER used illegal drugs."

Glmsw (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I have been addicted to pills ever since I was 16 (32 now ) and didn't start using opiates for menstrual pain till 2008 and became addicted. I wanted to quit after countless times of trying to quit but because of withdrawal symptoms it was getting difficult so the doctor prescribed me clonidine this past winter back in February for withdrawal. After being sick from withdrawal after 2 wks of trying to quit times and it helped with the cramping but after I got a job housekeeping I went back on meds to try keep up with my job and kids. So now I am back to where I started - only now withdrawal is getting worst. After 8 days of staying clean I relapsed because of all the muscle aches "

Anonymous November 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "My GP prescribed Clonidine 25mg twice a day, as I was having so many hot flushes, it was becoming impossible to live a normal life, I'm 51, and definitely peri-menopausal ! Since taking clonidine my symptoms have improved 100% ! I might get the odd flush now & again, but nowhere near as bad as they were before, if these work, without me having to take HRT, I'm very happy."

Lizzie66 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I am being weaned off valium, but I still on morphine.. I have been going through withdrawal symptoms. Sweating , insomnia, anxiety, panicky, stomach pain, BP going up to stroke zone, glucose levels, just as bad. All of September and October have been some of the worst days of my life.Dr. put me on Clonidine for high blood pressure, made it go higher and I am sleeping my life away... not good."

Shellyyme (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I'm on the first day of being off of my pain medication. I take Norco 10mg 4 times a day. My pain management doctor is a godsend to me and is doing everything he can to help me off the medication. I do have a chronic problem with degenerative disc disease and arthritis in knees and hips. Something I will live with the rest of my life. I've tried cutting back before without the use of any subsequent medications to help with the withdrawal symptoms. Definitely unsuccessful. I read in one of the comments from a person that nicknamed herself Justryit, and found her comment to be completely helpful. I'm scared to get off the medications because I too have let them be my focus on the things that I do to make sure that I have my medication."

Scaredbutdetermined (taken for 10 years or more) October 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "I'm on my second week of using the clonidine patch for the terrible flushes and night sweats. What a difference! Yes I still have 2 or 3 during the day , maybe 2 at night . Nothing like I was having so it's a great relief. I am having headaches but I think I can deal with them rather than sweating profusely and no sleep."

Life changing (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I require large doses of high strength opiates after an accident left my spine irreversibly damaged and in excruciating intractable pain. As the media and public demonizes these drugs since addicts abuse/overdose, (a lifesaver for the people prescribed/deserving) the times where I've been unable to obtain my normal refill and shamed out of the ER trying to explain I'm not a drug seeker have increased. I'm left in extreme pain along with withdrawal symptoms- a combination so incredibly brutally agonizing/horrific. One time I happened to have Clonidine for anxiety 0.1, taking 2-4 every 4-6 hrs (no Dr. would agree) and it relieved 70% of all symptoms. Very, very tired, but 100% WORTH IT."

Marin County CA (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: "My daughter was using melatonin for many years to help her fall asleep due to ADHD issues. But recently it stopped working and she was up for three nights straight. Her doctor prescribed clonodine and it has been wonderful. She is no longer drowsy during the day and is doing better in school and falls asleep at night within 1/2 hour after taking the clonidine."

Energize37 September 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: "I've been taking this medicine since I was little (4-6 years old?) it helped for a few years but now suddenly the side effects have been hitting me hard for 2 years. I definitely don't recommend this medicine for sleep as it is a high blood pressure medication. It makes my blood pressure extremely low, to the point my legs give out and I can't help but fall to the floor. I get very pale, drowsy, lightheaded, weak and it's not nice. It doesn't really help me "sleep" anymore I wake up 2-3 hours later and sometimes I wake up more than once. And the pills always seem to be in my system, I experience side effects every day. I totally regret my mom putting me on this medicine."

laniok (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hypertensive Emergency: "My underlying condition is sinus bradycardia of 48-58 and low diastolic BP in the 50s and isolated systolic hypertension, resistant to many meds and often spiking into stroke territory. Currently on HCTZ, atenolol, losartan for BP. Have also tried adding aldactone, amlodipine, and one other (forgotten) with no effect on systolic. Because of the bradycardia and low diastolic, my BP is more difficult to control. So....an ER doc about a year ago advised 0.5 Clonidine for spikes >200 systolic. The problem is worse now, and I am promised a Clonidine patch for control. Highs have been up to 246/90. Been in ER 3 times recently. Really appreciate Clonidine. No side effects. Tonight BP was 235/96; took .175 to bring it down over two hours."

Anonymous September 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I am in recovery (opiates of EVERY type since 2002) and being tapered down and it is a process that MUST be slow, measured and cautious! I would never imply someone was being less than honest, but many of these breezy, nearly symptom free withdrawal from opiates strains credulity to the breaking point. Only two people (so far) have been straight-up and said they are still going through some serious stuff, Clonidine isn't going to eliminate a single symptom ENTIRELY...my doc told me as much, and was correct. Clonidine will HELP. One person had it right here, username "WAITING FOR NEW START"-- "I took my clonidine and am sitting here with my restless leg syndrome...hoping for the best"-- THAT is the Truth. Manage your expectations --Good Luck!"

panickee (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tourette's Syndrome: "Oh My God. This stuff is no joke. It's time for me to talk about this one. I have a lot to say. First of all, this stuff works very quickly in almost completely neutralizing tic's. It also works almost instantly. The problem : A lot of side affects. This stuff will basically knock you out the first time you take it. I used to be on 0.3 mg three times a day. I slept for three days straight , except for getting up maybe two or three times a day to urinate , in a fog. I honestly don't remember hardly any of it for the first few months I was taking it. It's all just a blur. It also made my blood pressure drop very low. I'm talking fainting as soon as I stand up low. NEVER mix this drug with alcohol. I'm on .1 mg now. It's much better."

LOVELIGHT777 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I had been on morphine sulphate called mscontin for 12 years along with fentynal patch. MS is slow release as is patch. I decided to end this nightmare of Addiction and clean out. 3 months ago I tapered off the patch with no symptoms probably because of the MST I'm three days into detox after reducing dosage from 60 mg a day to 10 mg. Dr gave me clonidine 0.1 and lorazepam 1 mg. Both make me sleepy but I can't sleep more then 1 hr. Anxiety is always there and stomach upset, diarrhea and leg cramps. I wish I could say clonidine kept withdrawals away like others stated but that's not the case. I'm hanging in hoping tomorrow is better."

Jonboy11 September 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I was shocked having been through awful withdrawals before how much of a difference it was. I was easily taking 100mg/day of oxy. I tapered down too fast in 5 days to 15mg then was out. Couldn't get subs because I was also taking Xanax. Clonidine is very underestimated. I took it after my last dose of oxy and at 24/48 hours, I was groggy and weak but no stomach cringing muscle tension or nausea. It took a few days but today on day 3 I'm just fatigued. Still no withdrawal. Doesn't stop cravings and renders me lazy as hell but better than full withdrawal"

Shmeglyn (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I was addicted to the most powerful opioid carfentanil unknowingly and the withdrawals are so bad that they can be fatal. The first day I tried to quit I took an 8mg sub and it didn't even help and I had to be rushed to the hospital. So I relapsed the next three days. Then I finally found out what I had been taking and decided to go to ER the next day and tell them. I told them to keep me cause I didn't know what would work. The doctor told me he'd prescribe clonodine and send me home. I never heard of that and didn't think it would work so I pleaded with him for me to stay. That didn't work. So I got them filled and took them and they kicked my withdrawals ass. Way better than a suboxone."

Drew Drew (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated: "I was prescribed this medication when I was 11 years old after having sleeping problems, basically since birth. Started taking one a night, built up an immunity, ended up taking three every night as a teenager. At 19 years old, I decided I was sick of being dependent on this medication. I slowly weaned myself off of them but struggled to get a normal night sleep for about, a year. Then, started taking Tylenol p.m. for sleep which, can be detrimental if used long term. I'm now 22 and take three melatonin at night. Please, DONT GIVE CLONIDINE TO YOUR CHILDREN! I am technically, still in the process of weaning myself off of sleeping meds, and it's been years."

Ericabear August 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "I am 47 and was having some really good hot flashes throughout most of the year, daytime/night time - hubby would say he could fry bacon on my butt lol, went to doc and I am taking 1 in morning 1 before dinner, and I am back to normal now :) maybe the odd HOT one sneaks out but happy to feel great again."

sexy minnion (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Started taking norco 10/325 after ulner nerve surgery 2006 it went from 5 a day to 15-20 just to function for the last 6 months started taking 6 30mg oxy. I tried suboxone but that equally addictive went right back to pills. My 2nd day of detox I needed help Dr. put me on clonidine I'm on my 4th day with no withdrawal symptoms trazadone for sleep. Clonidine does make you lil groggy but it does work. Good luck to all that's in detox or thinking about it."

Tsport (taken for 10 years or more) August 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tourette's Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with Tourettes when I was about 12yrs old, I'm now 32. I've mainly been on clonidine and tenex for it over the years. The dry mouth is terrible, I will say that but Biotene(sp?) makes a dry mouth spray that is a life saver! That being said, I think the patches are amazing. My last switch from tenex to clonidine was so I could give the patches a try. You change it once a week, feels like you have constant coverage and I don't have sweaty palms like I did every time I was due for an oral dose. My dry mouth is not as bad on the patch - anyone that has suffered from this side effect knows how awful it can be and SO embarrassing! I was only tired when I went from .1-.2mg and it was only a couple of days. Try the patches!!!"

GoPatches (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I definitely would give this for heroin or sub withdrawal. I had been on a 12 year on binge with opiates and I can finally say I'm done with the whole life style nothing changes or gets better when you're using. Even though I was able to really be functional addicted I'm done using. All the money I've spent to stay well and just to make it to the next day. I'm done begin left in despair. I don't need drugs to be normal. It's just a way of killing yourself in many ways. Get help, do whatever you got to do, to finally stay clean. Never give up"

Functional Couch bug (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Catapres-TTS (clonidine) for High Blood Pressure: "It has reduced my blood pressure while taken in conjunction with 2 other drugs. However, I feel just plain lousy 2-3 days after taking it. My arms and legs feel leaden and I have no energy. As the week goes it those side effects appear to lessen and I feel ok. Then the cycle repeats itself. It has also reduced my heart beats to below 60. I wonder if this drug is worth it."

Joyce Milty August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Hi, wanted to add a post to help convince those who do not know clonidine yet that it's the best thing ever. I'd been using heroin for years before switching to methadone. It was fairly easy to taper 5mg at a time until 20mg, where it became more and more painful/stressful - I'm now at 4mg. I didn't have a clue about clonidine until two months ago, I looked it up on the internet and talked about it with my physician and he prescribed it to me. Then, the miracle happens: I switch from 5mg to 4mg, and 48h later at withdrawal symptoms onset I only had to take 0,5mg of clonidine to avoid ALL withdrawal symptoms. I had no sweats, no anxiety, no chills, no pins and needles, no trashy feeling... TRY IT, no side effects noticed."

Mr Z. August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "just started using it."

fuzzi4844 (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2017