User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Postural Orthostatic...ycardia Syndrome 1 reviews 4 medications

Benzodiazepine Withdrawal 4 reviews 0 medications

4.6
Summary of Clonidine reviews 417 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Clonidine

For High Blood Pressure: "just started using it."

fuzzi4844 (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "So I have medical conditions (back and head) that caused me to have hydrocodone, oxycodone, Dilaudid and so on increasing from the accident until now. Wasn't so bad at first, then I realized I became mega nasty cow without them, and I wasn't even in pain. I would count my day around when I needed my meds. Finally one day we took the kids to the beach and I forgot my purse (with meds in it) I drove 12 miles home to get it and realized it was ruling my life. Talked to my DR and he prescribed clonidine. I am not going to lie, I was scared, like I'm going to die scared. But I took 2 mg every 4 hours the 1st 2 days and then 1mg the next 4. And I am free! Granted I had ambien and klonipin for sleep (only for detox). I hope the best for all of you!"

Justtryit August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tourette's Syndrome: "I used this medication for 3 days for motor tics (blinking and head jerking) The first day I took half a tablet in the morning and half a tablet at night. The side effects were horrible. Insomnia - feeling weak and lethargic - limbs would go numb especially when I'm trying to sleep - dry mouth - depressed - falling asleep/ dozing off at work and while driving (very dangerous) Day 2 and 3 I just took half a tablet at night and the side effects in the day weren't as bad but still there. The effects at night were just as bad if not worse I was only getting 3 good hours of sleep - the rest is praying to sleep. But in saying that, the tics did ease a little bit. I have now stopped the meds today. Will not take it again."

Mazza aye (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Have been on Clondidine 0.1 @ 3 times daily for a year. As long as I place my pills eight hours a part in a day, I am ok with them. They don't have the side effects the other blood pressure meds. have. I hope I never have to go off this med. I am 78 years old."

Dellia (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I've had a lot of experience using clonidine for withdrawal symptoms. Though I'm working on staying clean, I've smoked heroin (tar) for a long time, on and off. The dope I was getting was very strong, and because I smoked it, the withdrawal would make me extremely sick to my stomach, so that I'd be throwing up for days, literally every few minutes. I'd end up in the ER. But with clonidine, I'm hardly nauseous (though I still add an anti-nausea med). With clonidine, my withdrawal symptoms are much more bearable, though still difficult. It might make you sleep the first day or two, but I'm generally still pretty sleepless. IT MUST BE DOSED correctly and be careful. For example, I take .1mg every 4 hours, then a bit less the next day, etc."

Santa Monica P August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Was on oxycodone 10 mg for a year. Am now 72 hours clean from it. Started taking clonidine at the first hour. Took .2 mg every 5 hours for the first 48 hours. Dropped back to .1mg every 6 hours up until now. I have had zero withdrawal symptoms but I still have problems sleeping. The only downside is that it makes me very weak. I can barely walk. I would take being weak over the nasty withdrawal symptoms any day. I am 61 years old and I was hooked on various opiates back in 80s, went through many detox units and I never had an easier 72 hours than this time. I would recommend it to anyone."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "I have tried so many drugs for my ADHD and nothing has helped. My Med. Doctor gave me a GeneSight and it came back that I can take nothing for ADHD. So we tried Clonidine and I am so thankful we did. I don't obscess with thoughts and actions and have been able to sleep at night and get plenty of sleep. I do wake up with a bit of a hangover but that don't last long and that is okay because I'm sleeping at night. I am so thankful for Clonidine after many years of try different drugs and not getting stable this has been a wonder drug. I take Effexor and Latuda and with these drugs I am doing great. Thank god for these three drugs"

Pepper Dog July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "I have been taking Clonidine for 3 weeks now 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I have had no flushes in the last couple of days. Yippee!! I was having between 15-20 flushes in the day and every hour at night. Complete nightmare and I was absolutely shattered as not able to sleep. Unable to take HRT as have fibroids. For me a miracle drug and am hoping that the flushes do not return as they have sadly for some people."

SDLMac July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "I'm 49. I started taking 2 clonidine in the morning & 2 at night for my hot flushes & night sweats. Bingo!! Very much reduced. Until my body got used to them so Dr told me to take 3 in a morning & 3 at night - again BRILLIANT result, for about 3 weeks. Now they are worse than ever!!! I wake 3, 4, 5, 6 times a night and thats only WHEN I sleep. Usually by 2.30am I'm WIDE AWAKE having been woken by a night sweat, absolutely soaking wet with sweat. I feel yucky all the time, my skin is dry and my contact lenses are UNBEARABLE. I have headaches, cramps & my memory is shocking!!!! So..today i took the plunge. I went back to the Dr & have started on HRT today. I'm 49 (for 10 more days) "

Kazzie99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Was on Percocet 5/325 for 3 years started to build tolerance dose was increased as had some life issues arose so started 10mg of Ocycodone then 20 mg suspedol for 3 times a day and 10 mg Neo per day ??? Realized that it's turning into 6 a day habit versus 3 which means I'm Technically on 180mg oxycodone . I am only motivated by getting out of bed in the morning by taking 40 to start to get me moving and then some days I'm good sometimes I'm not :( but I am early a few days and buy off people that don't use theirs :( Just tookClonodine 0.1mg as I sit here at 2 am not being able to sleep from the salvia mouth and restless leg syndrome which I always get along with stomach pain and flulike symptoms and of course lower back pain.Hope this works"

Wanting a new start (taken for 10 years or more) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I've had chronic migraines since I was 12. I've been on opiates since 24, now I'm 31. My doc from Northwestern started me on norco, now I'm in 80mg Norco and 150mg of oxycodone, a day. I told the doc I wanted to quit so he gave me xanax. Then I got hooked on 0.3mg xanax. Well, then I get a letter from Northwestern that my doc has left and lost his license and that I need to see a new doc. So I do, and he straight up says he will not prescribe any opiates or benzos, only clonodine. I'd never felt withdrawal before, the govt should get terrorists hooked like this. There is literally nothing I'd due to stop this feeling. I'm about to take .3mg of clonodine and am praying for sleep."

MigraineChronic (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Great info. Have taken suboxone years ago for an OxyContin "vacation" from reality so I knew it was just as addictive and spent a week in bed with the flu that prevented me from taking it so was horrible. Just coming off over a year of OVERPRESCRIBED hydromorphone (dilauded) 48+ a day. Started running out earlier and earlier and finally just decided, after scaring my family, was time to stop. Thought I was smart and 3 days of TINY amount of suboxone and I'd be fine. Not so much...over a week later had to DEMAND they let me try this as I can't control the CNS issues. I drink a lil so I'm nervous. Plan to try first dose tonight and praying for sleep and just mind/body rest. MD's don't like it when YOU think of getting off meds before they do!"

UncomfortablyFrazzled July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I am 48 hours clean of any opiates. I was on about 40 to 80mg of oxcodone a day which I know isn't much, but enough to have failed getting off them multiple times in the past two months. I started to take .1 clonidine twice a day after about 24 hours and since then I have had not even a little feeling of withdrawal. I am so happy I did not try going on suboxone which I had done in my past."

FloridaDad2 July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tourette's Syndrome: "My son was diagnosed with OCD and tics His tics came on strong in last 10 days I could not believe it Have never seen anything like this occur so quickly He had a severe melt down because he wanted to pick up a ball and something in his head would not allow it , he had his hands over the top of the ball , crying and sobbing , saying mum please help me , I can't touch it - he was hysterical and angry - I actually called an ambulance I was out of my head , he was a normal kid two weeks prior. We went to the hospital and they gave him clonidine ... we have been on it one day and very small dose ... how long does it take to work ???"

Diyana (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I was prescribed clonidine for my blood pressure. I was also prescribed 10 mg Norco for a female issues. I became addicted to Norco for almost 5 years when I said enough is enough. I had read about Clonidine being with opiate withdrawal so I gave it a shot and boy I have had zero withdrawl symptoms and like before where I always ended up using again I'm on day three I slept good I'm up having coffee which I haven't done in a long time I can't even remember. It made me drowsy the first few days. I was able to lower the dose and haven't taken a dose in the last 12 hours and I feel fine. If you have the opportunity please use clonidine I swear it works."

Only thing that worked for me (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I have been on clonidine for a year. At first it made me sleepy, but after about 6 weeks, my only side effect was dry mouth, and I have to eat when I taken clonidine. It has helped lower my blood pressure and my anxiety. Very happy with it."

Poyner34 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Five days after I began using the Clonidine patch, I started having terrible side effects. These included extreme dizziness, constipation, diarrhea, and a hard bloated stomach. I immediately discontinued the patch after using it for 6 days. These effects are still continuing to a lesser degree almost two months later. My hair also stopped growing, but started to regrow after a month. My blood pressure did go down, but it wasn't worth it! The owner at my local health food store recommended that I try taking Beet Root - 2 pills twice a day. My blood pressure is now normal and I'm having no side effects!"

SpTff June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Tingling, burning in toes with swelling, Leg discomfort were major complaint , particularly on left side."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I started using Norco about a year and a half ago. At first it was for a legitimate reason, my lower back. I had lumbar strains my entire life. Sometimes a serious strain would incapacitate me for about a week. So a friend of mine said I should go see this doctor of his because he'll prescribe Norco's. Well, excited as I was to get them, I was even more excited I got a script for 100! I told myself 3 a day, no more or my tolerance will lower. Before I knew it, I was on 8, sometimes 12 a day. After 1 year, I couldn't get my script on time. I was going to go in withdrawal. On day 2 of Clonidine. Soreness, like from a workout, is all I have felt. Using the patch. Best thing to happen since I started this behavior. Ask your doc!"

Norco user 10/325 8-10 daily (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: "I started on this in May 2016. I take two at night and two in morning almost straight away it worked. then 9months later I had 2 periods and the flushes have returned worse than they were, 3 or 4 an hour. My doc upped my tablets to three in the morning and three at night still no response. Then up to four tablets twice a day sweats, still the same but now experiencing upper stomach pain unable to sleep. I'm returning to the Doc. Hope I get this sorted. I'm drained all the time hair constantly soaking."

Aanettsie May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I have been an opiate addict since I was 18 and I am now 31. While having gone through opiate withdrawal at least once. The clonidine is and has been the only thing that makes my symptoms practically none existent. I can firmly with out any hesitation say it works. I was very skeptic but it proved me so wrong. I am now on my 5th day into withdrawing and haven't had cold sweats, nausea, loss of appetite nor any other symptoms . I can say this is going to be the beginning to a sober life so if you're scared to go threw withdrawal just see a doctor and ask for because it works almost 100%"

Kandace88 (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I do not respond well to drugs and need the highest dose possible; eg I have taken Amitryptline 100 mg plus Clonozapam 2 mg for sleep for years and still am not a good sleeper. Clonidine was added to my blood pressure regimen (Lisinopril 40, Atenolol 100, Amlodipine 10) when I continued to have erratic blood pressure and frequent TIAs. When my blood pressure is high, it is my go-to drug because it works. And I got a couple of side benefits. It has a calming, sedating effect on me and, added to my other sleeping meds, really helps me get quality sleep. And then, I discovered that it helped when I was having a severe flashback (I also have PTSD and other dissociative symptoms, including fugues). It has been a wonder drug for me."

PriDee55 May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "This review is more frustration with my doctors than this drug. I was diagnosed with inattentive type ADHD over a year ago, although I've had it for my entire life. Because my heart rate was high, I was initially put on Strattera. Didn't work, massive headaches, gross night sweats. Gave up for a while. Finally got a new doctor and she puts me on Catapres because it helps with anxiety (which I have bundles of) and prescribing a stimulant would lead to "questions about her qualifications" (seriously tho). Taking it at night with my Trazodone does help put me to sleep, but has long-lasting lethargic effects during the day that end up causing ironic panic attacks at work because I hate feeling sedated when I need to be alert. Back to square one"

orangetoday (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I was in a head on car crash @50mph. in 2008 and have been prescribed Morphine Sulfate AND Oxycodone as a "break through" drug when the Morphine wasn't doing enough for my chronic pain. I decided it was time to quit, yes I "set" my mind to quitting. The two worse parts for me breaking this addiction were the lack of sleep and the hypertension from no longer having the Opiates in my system. I am now on day 14 without Opiates and I owe it to Clonidine 0.1mg. Medical marijuana was the other thing I used. My doctor had not heard of this before so I educated him and the rest is history. I was able to just take 1 every 12 hours and will never go through the Hell of breaking another Opiate addiction. SUCCESS! Thank you, Steven"

MedHead420 May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been on clonidine since probably 1985. Was in Navy, went to see doctor before transfer, B/P was 210/118. I was 24. Girl who took my B/P said "you should be dead". No problems before that at all. My doctor says I have "world class" blood pressure. In between, have seen lots of specialists, changed my drugs and dosages, etc. Clonidine is the only thing that seems to work for me. Taking Amlopidine and Lisinopril once a day and clonidine .3mg four times a day. Yes, I know it's a lot but you learn to live with it. I've learned to cut the pills in half and take them twice as often. Levels out the side effects and smooths out blood pressure spikes.Do yourself a favor, if you are on this medication, carry some with you. Don't be caught without"

James McFartyface May 16, 2017