User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Clonidine Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Clonidine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"Nothing helps with insomnia like clonidine for me. I have bipolar type 2 and since we have a history of drug abuse in my family I don't want to use bensodiazepines. It really helps me to get to sleep when my mind is racing. Only drawback is that my mouth gets very dry when I use higher dosages. So make sure you brush your teeth! Dry mouth can be detrimental for your oral health. Also sometimes I wake up early when the dose wears off too soon, but adding a small dose of sedating antihistamine helps with that. I use dosages of 0,075 mgs which is half a pill, and don't have any daytime sedation the day after."

Rodgery October 7, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Catapres (clonidine): "Took clonidine for insomnia (only drug at the time). Proved completely ineffective and caused lightheadedness and dizziness."

Brian L. (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2015

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm bipolar and clonidine does absolutely nothing for my bipolar disorder."

Nat the nutter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 24, 2015

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Catapres (clonidine): "Works great for easing withdrawl symptoms of just about anything. But did not work for my anxiety as it gave me fairly awful side effects, (excessive sweating and horrible nightmares) and I don't often experience any side effects on any medicine. I've since had my doc look elsewhere."

MauriCruz9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 25, 2014

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Catapres (clonidine): "I was prescribed this medication along with Valium, Halcion and Motrin to ease withdrawal symptoms of heroin addiction. It did help while using it but my situation needed other therapy (methadone maintenance) to overcome my addiction. I do know several people who did benefit with the use of Catapres alone in quitting heroin addiction."

ivana1227 (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2013

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have mixed Bipolar symptoms and was increasing on the Monic side. 1 Clonidine and in 15 minutes I had some relief and felt nearly normal. I like that it is an as needed drug and I don't have to take it everyday like my other medicines. The only drawback is that it only lasts 4-6 hours and you have to take it again but to feel nearly "normal" I will do that."

Anonymous July 31, 2009