User Reviews for Clonidine to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Catapres, Kapvay, Clonidine ER, Catapres-TTS, Duraclon

The following information is NOT intended to endorse any particular medication. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners.

Clonidine Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Clonidine

Levithan June 3, 2020

"Thanks to all the comments and I'm on .01 twice a day I take it at once and it works great but that's just the morning and by the afternoon it kinda wears off. I'm wondering how much you can take I'm confused about it being so low and if I tell my psychiatrist I know she help me out I just need to figure out a good dose is"

Joe · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 29, 2020

"It does not even touch my anxiety. I was on Xanax for 23 years. When my psychiatrist retired, the new psychiatrist I got informed me that Xanax was habit forming. She placed me on clonidine and it did nothing. I suffer with severe anxiety constantly. Xanax helped me with my occasional episodes of panic attack and my severe anxiety. I also have ADHD and over compulsive disorder."

Buzz · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2020

"clonidine worked great for about a week the my anxiety kicked into overdrive. I felt I was going to go nuts. I began completely not well and felt I was at risk. Very scary situation!"

Jay · Taken for less than 1 month April 15, 2020

"Clonidine helped a lot with my anxiety and sweats. I would sweat in public situations or even going to a corner store, embarrassing. This really helps even more than the xanax for my sweats. Anxiety doesn't go away completely but still an amazing drug. Does nothing for depression so looking to try something on top of this medication."

Ag · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2020

"I am pretty sure this drug is going to save my life. I have tried everything for anxiety. Benzos, buspirone, ssri's, snris, beta blockers. I almost gave up then I thought I would try one more. I get horrible med side effects so I started with 1/4 a .1 mg and within 20 minutes I was more normal than I have felt in years. I tried a higher dose the next day but was too tired so for now I will stick to the small dose. 3 days in and I feel like my life has already changed. I can focus at work, I'm happy, I have more energy, no anxiety. beautiful!"

GabrielRD · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2020

"I hate taking this medication it makes me extremely sick. I also get extremely groggy, weak feelings, fatigue, mood swings, and anxiety. I do not recommend for anyone unless you're having trouble sleeping."

Meg · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 28, 2020

"This drug clonidine was a game changer for my anxiety. I love this drug- it helps me sleep, it calms me down from full blown panic attacks (it takes about 20-30 minutes to do this). It helps with my ADHD because it calms down my body and lets me focus. I can't take benzos, so it has been really helpful. It takes a while before it stops making you drowsy. I only take half a tab if I'm super anxious during the day. I only take full tabs if I'm having a panic attack or going to bed WARNING: DO NOT STOP TAKING THIS DRUG COLD TURKEY. I had horrendous withdrawals. I stopped cold after 3 years and was shaking and tremoring, did not sleep for a week, and had severe panic attacks all day every day."

SuzieQ · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2020

"This clonidine was prescribed in conjunction with TCAs and beta blockers for agoraphobia with panic disorder. It caused even more severe panic and dark thoughts."

Red · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2020

"I get very down and depressed in the Dark Winter months. About a month ago I went into Manic Panic Depression and anxiety was off charts for the last month. I'm scared of Benzos and refuse to take them because of how good they are and addicting. Was prescribed Paxil 20 mg . They gave me Hydroxyzine 50mg until Paxil Kicks in. Paxil has not worked and went back to see about something stronger than Hydroxyzine. They gave me clonidine and it worked within an hour at .10 mg clonedine I was eating and even smiled after 3 weeks of nightmarish living. I think this will be the one!"

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 22, 2019

"I took clonidine for a month to help with tapering off xanax. The first week was ok. It helped me motivate and feel somewhat better. After that, all downhill. My hair started thinning excessively, especially when I washed it. Then, I just felt overmedicated and aggravated. This is my own personal experience. I don't recommend it to people highly stressed. I think in my opinion, it should be used under a dr supervision only. The night sweats were AWFUL. And my peaceful nights sleep turned into vivid nightmares and dreams so odd."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2019

"In my opinion clonidine is the best prescription for panic and anxiety. Nothing else worked."

don · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 29, 2019

"clonidine is the best medication for my anxiety. I take in am and then at bedtime, my anxiety is gone, a GOD blessing for me, better than benzos......"

MrMisdiagnosed · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 19, 2019

"I was given 0.1mg twice per day to control anxiety but it made me so tired and dizzy it was difficult to stand up. Many years later after seeing dozens of doctors it was determined I had adrenal insufficiency and needed hydrocortisone. This drug will decrease Cortisol production and make you feel even worse so be advised."

Katherine · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2019

"I have been dealing with anxiety for about 10 years now with the occasional panic attack. In the last 9 months my anxiety has been so severe that I’m anxious every second of the day and panic when I have to leave the house. It’s made it hard to function and hold down a job. I recently got a new job and I was having extreme anxiety to the point of feeling suicidal because I felt like I could not continue living with the severity of my anxiety. I was on 6 different medications and not getting any relief. Finally my doctor prescribed be clonidine 0.1 three weeks times a day. For the first time in 9 months I finally felt better. My doctor upped. My dose to 4 times a day and now I’m feeling better than ever! I’m able to function and work again. This is a miracle drug to me. I’m finally living my life again. I would highly recommend trying this drug if you have severe anxiety like me."

Big Nick · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 25, 2019

"I have PTSD and have suffered from depression and anxiety my entire life, I was prescribed xanax, clonazepam, and ambien and took that for 30 years, just 4 months ago and I got sober off the benzos,and along with duloxetine 120mg daily. Clonidine has worked great. It helps me sleep and reduce my anxiety 100% oh and by the way, it works great with methadone. "

Doc September 20, 2019

"I have been suffering with severe depression and extreme anxiety for years doctors tried me on everything including Xanax nothing seemed to work it had gotten so bad that my blood pressure shot up sky high so to control my blood pressure they put me on clonidine. Lo and behold the clonidine did not only lower my blood pressure but it controlled my depression and anxiety. My anxiety was so bad I was afraid to leave my house I suffer from social anxiety as well when I am taking my clonidine as prescribed I feel absolutely normal. If you have tried everything and nothing seems to be working then you need to speak to your doctor about clonidine. To me it is a miracle drug it has helped me become human again"

Bill Bourbon · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 10, 2019

"Psychiatrist prescribed .1 mcg clonidine once a day for anxiety then upped to twice a day. I also take 20 mg duloxetine, 20 mg buspar, and 40 mg dicyclomine every 6 hours for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) . Clonidine may help a little, but leaves me so drowsy I can barely function. Also causes severe dry mouth. I doubt I’ll be able to stick with it. Xanax works well for me but have to restrict use to avoid dependence. Higher dose of duloxetine helps reduce anxiety but causes severe constipation."

J · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 7, 2019

"I have a prescription for clonidine 0.1 mg as needed for anxiety. It is SO helpful! I rarely take it but when I do, it drastically reduces my anxiety and it’s not a benzo so it’s much easier to get a prescription for. I’d highly recommend it for anxiety. It does make me sleepy but I like that. When I’m feeling anxious I need that sedated feeling. It doesn’t make me feel zombie level sedated but I feel it enough to be able to get some sleep. Also, if you already have low blood pressure I would not recommend because it’s a blood pressure medication and could put you into a dangerously low blood pressure if you’re not careful."

lostplanetgirl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 26, 2019

"I was given this medication with Paxil for severe anxiety. I never took the Paxil BUT did the clonidine. I was told to take a half of a 0.1mg tablet twice a day for panic attacks as needed and one whole 0.1mg at night for insomnia. The first time taking it, IT WORKED! I took half of tablet in a American Eagle dressing though but got extremely tried. But ever since than It is not as extreme as the first time luckily. It just helps enough that I don't get myself thrown in the ER. I don't take it everyday tho."

Mr. Panic attack · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 8, 2019

"My psychiatrist prescribed me .1mg 3 times a day for my anxiety and panic attack disorder. I literally have between 8 to 12 attacks daily and anxiety from the moment I wake up until I hopefully get some sleep using zzzquil or benadryl. My condition has only gotten worse and this psychiatrist I see is very rude, judgmental, and speaks down to me like I am dirt. I really hope no one else has a Dr like this. She's very unprofessional and says things to belittle me for the last 4 visits, I literally cried in my car for 10 mins after seeing her last time. She made me feel horrible about myself. Also, she left me without medication for 2 weeks. I need to find a new Dr immediately "

Vero · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2019

"I take 1mg of clonidine to help tapper of lorezapam I take one a night to sleep and as needed it has helped a lot"

whmcf2 December 1, 2018

"Been on this med since September 2018, after one week, had trouble breathing, tight chest, gasping for air. Caused panic. Heart, lungs all checked this med is only difference. It is November 30 and tapering off now. Looking forward to breathing free again. Would not recommend this med."

Fred · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2018

"Kicks in slower than a benzo but works"

Laura October 17, 2018

"I have severe panic attacks my blood pressure goes up to 203 over a hundred and one my heart pound so hard I get makes me cough, it is extremely irregular and my chest gets tight and painful almost. I am scared of everything around me, loud noises cause me to jump and scream I am so uncomfortable I sit and cry and cry. I have tried medications for over 30 years and over the last 10 years things have become worse and worse. I was started on clonidine and am now able to tolerate the above. There was one time in particular I ended up having to take .3 mg to bring down my blood pressure it was so high I highly recommend this drug use it all the time I take it with me in my purse I enjoy my life again"

Banana Nut Muffins · Taken for less than 1 month July 13, 2018

"I have insane panic attacks in the morning. My 1mg of Klonopin hardly helps and of course I don't want to go up on them. I have detoxed from Klonopin once and obviously don't want to up the dose. Usually waking up in the morning my anxiety is 5/10... not quite to a panic attack. Riding a stationary bike for 30 minutes helps but even with that the Klonopin didn't do much. I've only taken clonidine for 2 days and take it when I don't have to go to work (numbs me out, which I consider a good thing. to some people this may not be) - but when I woke up in the morning my anxiety was still there but considerably lower. Maybe a 2.5/10 --- however, I gave it a few less stars because having too much, ironically, causes me to have a panic attack as I freak out when I feel like I've lost control of my body."