User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Clonidine Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Clonidine to treat Anxiety

"Clonidine has been outstanding in lowering BP and in reducing anxiety. I have lingering PTSD from a murder many years ago and from a stroke one year ago caused by high BP. Other BP meds have worked marginally but the Clonidine patch was highly effective at .1 mg but a bit too much a .2 mg lowering BP to 96/60. The only problem is the patch gives me a bright red itching rash on my arm and so I am going on the pills only and see if that works well. I'm hoping 0.1 mg twice a day should work since Clonidine has a 12 hour half life but we shall see. I highly recommend this drug for BP and anxiety but monitor BP with it to not go too low."

Richard0460 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 26, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"@MeliRz ...in response to the clonidine n anxiety. ...I've found that vistiril (Atarax ) does the same to me it's supposed to be for anxiety (non narcotic) n it's also for allergies (so it's like a prescription benadryl lol) but it makes me the opposite of calm lol....so I hear you ...what helps 20 others has the opposite effect on 1...guh it's that 1% lol...I've fell into the 1% catagory lol...."

Tpharmtech83 February 8, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've found clonidine to be unparalleled at preventing anxiety of the restless and impatient type. I.e. the kind of anxiety that keeps me from sitting in one place. I take clonidine before any engagement where I must sit for a while, e.g., waiting rooms, court rooms and so on. Places where some patience is in order. Clonidine is the best for this. The only side effect is a very slight dry mouth, and that only happens sometimes."

Delegate Fishmon (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 30, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Help with my anxiety by alleviating the nausea and lowered my blood pressure which resulted in less flushing due to anxiety. May have to go a little higher on the dosage to find your sweet spot, but I started at on .1 and went to .2 twice a day and it has really helped."

kentuckyloan (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Clonidine is excellent for performance and social anxiety. But I think its crucial to get the dosage just right for your body weight & metabolism, so that one doesn't get unnecessarily sedated or have dry mouth. I only use clonidine every now & a blue moon (i.e., rarely), often before a situation or event where I'll need extraordinary patience. I take just 0.1 mg. for this purpose. It prevents nervous tremors of the hand, restlessness and sweating."

Johnny Doe (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 24, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take it in conjunction with lorazepam and trazadone at night, the combo helps me sleep and remain calm, it has some blood pressure effect, I do take additional blood pressure in the morning as clonidine isn't enough for my high BP"

manicmaggie (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 24, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had severe PTSD, and anxiety for several years. I also have ADD, and insomnia. I started taking Clonidine and it immediately worked! My physical anxiety halted so quickly I almost didn't believe it. The only problem I have with it is it does make me extremely dizzy. I'm only on 1Mg a day but every time with out fail I get dizzy and a bit sleepy for about an hour."

CarlyM (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine made me beyond irate! It's supposed to help with anxiety and insomnia due to anxiety. I've been up for 5 days now with an average of maybe 2 hours of sleep if that a night. Complete opposite effect and I'm so tired. But my brain won't stop running with thoughts. Weird thoughts. On the bright side my house is spotless and I've managed to fill my freezer and counter with countless baked foods and pastries. Smh."

MeliRz December 13, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was having a very bad moment (anxiety attack). Very shallow breath of, tight chest, fast heartbeat...just could not relax. Took .1 mg and felt a difference in about 20 minutes and much better within an hour. The chest tension was about 90% gone and I could finally relax. Only downfall is that it makes me drowsy!"

MommaAnxiety (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on a month and helps with anxiety. The nausea and muscle tension has went away. I would recommend. Few side effects, and you will get use to the drug after about a 2 week period. Will make your hands and feet cold, but I can deal with that."

Middle Age Male (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Complex Ptsd, extreme anxiety,border line personality disorder,insomnia,social phobia and fear fear fear over nothing! Valium once a day for 4yrs. Last 2months have been extreme anxiety valium not working as good just had a clonidine i feel great. My neck n shoulders feel like new. No straining. My eye tension is gone so my headache is gone too. So far so good. Very happy."

Vanessa78 December 5, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"If you want to be chronically lethargic and unable to function in most areas of your life, here's your medication. It is the most draining med I've taken for anxiety. Knocks you out all day long."

Anxiety ridden and fed up October 20, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started taking clonodine BID for severe anxiety (GAD, PTSD, PD), in conjunction with my benzos (PRN). I have tried almost everything else on the market and this was the first time I was really impressed with the effects. The first week and a half I appreciated the intense drowsiness but I powered through because I physically felt relief from my racing heart. Surely this medicine isn't for everyone, but it sure helps me."

AlPal July 6, 2016

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Works great for anxiety, it does cause sedation, but is highly effective for keeping the anxiety at bay."

DPDR Guy May 20, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm experiencing ambivalence and general feeling of irritation and anger since I've been on this drug ...anyone else?"

zoochick (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Catapres (clonidine): "Was diagnosed with Bipolar 1 (Mixed Episodes w/ Psychotic Features) as well as Unspecified anxiety disorder. My anxiety gets so bad to the point it makes me vomit. I took 1mg in the morning and 1 mg at night. It made me extremely sleepy and fatigued to the point I couldn't function. I work and am in college full time so I couldn't handle that at all. Would not recommend this medication."

AustinRev (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this when I went to a 5 day inpatient detox. They gave me this for anxiety as I could not use any benzos, due to my addiction. So when I left detox I remained on clonidine for about 5 months. It did significantly relax me, however, it lowered my blood pressure so bad that I would get a head rush and faint almost everytime I stood up. Keep in mind my size definitely was a factor as I am only 5'1 and 98 lbs. At the time."

Kookla3193 December 3, 2015

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This stuff is amazing I tried every psych med on the market and none of them worked then I tried this stuff and basically it took away my anxiety and depression overnight I can't say enough good things about this patch it has to be the patch not the pills though!!!!"

Jbutler2007 November 19, 2015

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Clonidine is a drug that produces many obvious physical and psychological effects, the most obvious being marked drowsiness. It supposedly works to fight anxiety by interfering with the chemicals responsible for those horrible, anxious feeling, pounding heartbeat and fear reactions. To that end, it works very well. It's hard to say whether or not it has a large effect on experiencing anxiety overall, however."

MattyC2 October 26, 2015

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My psychiatrist prescribed this for me for my anxiety (I worry about every little thing) and it worked but it made me extremely drowsy during the day. I was taking 0.1mg 3 times a day. I am a full time college student so that didn't work out to good. I couldn't really tell if it was helping with my anxiety or not. I only took it for 2 weeks."

AustinRev September 8, 2015

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have used clonidine for panic attacks (episodic, severe facial sweating due to stressful situations). This medication has been extremely helpful, resolved the sweating immediately. I have tried lorazepam, which was also extremely effective, but my clinician informed me clonidine has lower risks. Beta blockers did not work at all."

Figz (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Catapres (clonidine): "I have severe anxiety and had horrible side effects from benzodiazepines. This medication has been very helpful. I am taking 0.2 mg. twice daily. Started with 0.1 mg. I recommend slowly increasing your dosage because it tends to make you drowsy until you get used to it."

kbk127 October 11, 2014

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed 0.1 mg tablets of this for anxiety and sleeplessness. It was good for anxiety attacks because it put me straight to sleep in about 10 minutes, but it didn't help me sleep through the night. It also didn't help with everyday anxiety."

ampartlow September 28, 2014

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Catapres (clonidine): "Was prescribed this in conjunction with stimulant meds for ADHD but have found this really works well to relieve NAUSEA caused by ANXIETY. However as this is primarily a Blood Pressure Medication, it can make you dizzy if you take too much. I have found it the best of any medication to treat the nausea and upset stomach Generalised Anxiety produces. Highly Recommended With Caution!"

Flykate1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 25, 2014

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been taking for 4 weeks now. Good for keeping physical anxiety down. Good for people who tend to notice their heart racing and who get extreme adrenaline rushes when nervous. Takes the edge off physical which mentally helps."

Johnny Danfield September 5, 2013