User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Clonidine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Clonidine to treat Anxiety

"Started taking clonodine BID for severe anxiety (GAD, PTSD, PD), in conjunction with my benzos (PRN). I have tried almost everything else on the market and this was the first time I was really impressed with the effects. The first week and a half I appreciated the intense drowsiness but I powered through because I physically felt relief from my racing heart. Surely this medicine isn't for everyone, but it sure helps me."

AlPal July 6, 2016

"Works great for anxiety, it does cause sedation, but is highly effective for keeping the anxiety at bay."

DPDR Guy May 20, 2016

"I'm experiencing ambivalence and general feeling of irritation and anger since I've been on this drug ...anyone else?"

zoochick (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

Catapres (clonidine): "Was diagnosed with Bipolar 1 (Mixed Episodes w/ Psychotic Features) as well as Unspecified anxiety disorder. My anxiety gets so bad to the point it makes me vomit. I took 1mg in the morning and 1 mg at night. It made me extremely sleepy and fatigued to the point I couldn't function. I work and am in college full time so I couldn't handle that at all. Would not recommend this medication."

AustinRev (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

"I was prescribed this when I went to a 5 day inpatient detox. They gave me this for anxiety as I could not use any benzos, due to my addiction. So when I left detox I remained on clonidine for about 5 months. It did significantly relax me, however, it lowered my blood pressure so bad that I would get a head rush and faint almost everytime I stood up. Keep in mind my size definitely was a factor as I am only 5'1 and 98 lbs. At the time."

Kookla3193 December 3, 2015

"This stuff is amazing I tried every psych med on the market and none of them worked then I tried this stuff and basically it took away my anxiety and depression overnight I can't say enough good things about this patch it has to be the patch not the pills though!!!!"

Jbutler2007 November 19, 2015

"Clonidine is a drug that produces many obvious physical and psychological effects, the most obvious being marked drowsiness. It supposedly works to fight anxiety by interfering with the chemicals responsible for those horrible, anxious feeling, pounding heartbeat and fear reactions. To that end, it works very well. It's hard to say whether or not it has a large effect on experiencing anxiety overall, however."

MattyC2 October 26, 2015

"My psychiatrist prescribed this for me for my anxiety (I worry about every little thing) and it worked but it made me extremely drowsy during the day. I was taking 0.1mg 3 times a day. I am a full time college student so that didn't work out to good. I couldn't really tell if it was helping with my anxiety or not. I only took it for 2 weeks."

AustinRev September 8, 2015

"I have used clonidine for panic attacks (episodic, severe facial sweating due to stressful situations). This medication has been extremely helpful, resolved the sweating immediately. I have tried lorazepam, which was also extremely effective, but my clinician informed me clonidine has lower risks. Beta blockers did not work at all."

Figz (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2015

Catapres (clonidine): "I have severe anxiety and had horrible side effects from benzodiazepines. This medication has been very helpful. I am taking 0.2 mg. twice daily. Started with 0.1 mg. I recommend slowly increasing your dosage because it tends to make you drowsy until you get used to it."

kbk127 October 11, 2014

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was prescribed 0.1 mg tablets of this for anxiety and sleeplessness. It was good for anxiety attacks because it put me straight to sleep in about 10 minutes, but it didn't help me sleep through the night. It also didn't help with everyday anxiety."

ampartlow September 28, 2014

Catapres (clonidine): "Was prescribed this in conjunction with stimulant meds for ADHD but have found this really works well to relieve NAUSEA caused by ANXIETY. However as this is primarily a Blood Pressure Medication, it can make you dizzy if you take too much. I have found it the best of any medication to treat the nausea and upset stomach Generalised Anxiety produces. Highly Recommended With Caution!"

Flykate1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 25, 2014

"Been taking for 4 weeks now. Good for keeping physical anxiety down. Good for people who tend to notice their heart racing and who get extreme adrenaline rushes when nervous. Takes the edge off physical which mentally helps."

Johnny Danfield September 5, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Hits fast and clean, noticeably lower blood pressure and can be quite relaxing. The 0.02s work better than the 0.01mgs. Too much can be dangerous with it leading to low blood pressure. There have been times I exercised or took stimulant because I was worried blood pressure was to low but if you can ride the tide it is an amazing medicine for it not being in the Xanax class."

ElgatoJohn (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 28, 2012

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate