User Reviews for Clonidine to treat Anxiety (Page 2)

Also known as: Catapres, Kapvay, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon

Clonidine has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 61 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety. 64% of those users who reviewed Clonidine reported a positive effect, while 23% reported a negative effect.

Clonidine Rating Summary

7.2/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Clonidine

Poyner34 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 25, 2017

“I have been on clonidine for a year. At first it made me sleepy, but after about 6 weeks, my only side effect was dry mouth, and I have to eat when I taken clonidine. It has helped lower my blood pressure and my anxiety. Very happy with it.”

Johnny Doe · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 24, 2016

“Clonidine is excellent for performance and social anxiety. But I think its crucial to get the dosage just right for your body weight & metabolism, so that one doesn't get unnecessarily sedated or have dry mouth. I only use clonidine every now & a blue moon (i.e., rarely), often before a situation or event where I'll need extraordinary patience. I take just 0.1 mg. for this purpose. It prevents nervous tremors of the hand, restlessness and sweating.”

CidB · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 11, 2018

“I am really high strung and have add and anxiety and I'm so glad I have my clonidine. I think it makes me feel way more relaxed than the benzos everyone wants and I've had high doses of Xanax and Klonopin prescribed to me and it's hard to get that stuff prescribed. The clonidine is very quick acting I've never had any kind of withdrawals and it mellows me out and unlike a benzo it doesn't make me sound like I'm out of it. I've had other people take very small doses and and knocks them out but I tend to be on edge all the time and benzos don't really relax me but they do help if I'm having anxiety issues related to PTSD that makes me panic and freeze up”

Richard0460 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 26, 2017

“Clonidine has been outstanding in lowering BP and in reducing anxiety. I have lingering PTSD from a murder many years ago and from a stroke one year ago caused by high BP. Other BP meds have worked marginally but the Clonidine patch was highly effective at .1 mg but a bit too much a .2 mg lowering BP to 96/60. The only problem is the patch gives me a bright red itching rash on my arm and so I am going on the pills only and see if that works well. I'm hoping 0.1 mg twice a day should work since Clonidine has a 12 hour half life but we shall see. I highly recommend this drug for BP and anxiety but monitor BP with it to not go too low.”

Johnny Danfield September 5, 2013

“Been taking for 4 weeks now. Good for keeping physical anxiety down. Good for people who tend to notice their heart racing and who get extreme adrenaline rushes when nervous. Takes the edge off physical which mentally helps.”

Jbutler2007 November 19, 2015

“This stuff is amazing I tried every psych med on the market and none of them worked then I tried this stuff and basically it took away my anxiety and depression overnight I can't say enough good things about this patch it has to be the patch not the pills though!!!!”

MeliRz December 13, 2016

“This medicine made me beyond irate! It's supposed to help with anxiety and insomnia due to anxiety. I've been up for 5 days now with an average of maybe 2 hours of sleep if that a night. Complete opposite effect and I'm so tired. But my brain won't stop running with thoughts. Weird thoughts. On the bright side my house is spotless and I've managed to fill my freezer and counter with countless baked foods and pastries. Smh.”

MommaAnxiety · Taken for less than 1 month December 12, 2016

“Was having a very bad moment (anxiety attack). Very shallow breath of, tight chest, fast heartbeat...just could not relax. Took .1 mg and felt a difference in about 20 minutes and much better within an hour. The chest tension was about 90% gone and I could finally relax. Only downfall is that it makes me drowsy!”

whmcf2 December 1, 2018

“Been on this med since September 2018, after one week, had trouble breathing, tight chest, gasping for air. Caused panic. Heart, lungs all checked this med is only difference. It is November 30 and tapering off now. Looking forward to breathing free again. Would not recommend this med.”

Banana Nut Muffins · Taken for less than 1 month July 13, 2018

“I have insane panic attacks in the morning. My 1mg of Klonopin hardly helps and of course I don't want to go up on them. I have detoxed from Klonopin once and obviously don't want to up the dose. Usually waking up in the morning my anxiety is 5/10... not quite to a panic attack. Riding a stationary bike for 30 minutes helps but even with that the Klonopin didn't do much. I've only taken clonidine for 2 days and take it when I don't have to go to work (numbs me out, which I consider a good thing. to some people this may not be) - but when I woke up in the morning my anxiety was still there but considerably lower. Maybe a 2.5/10 --- however, I gave it a few less stars because having too much, ironically, causes me to have a panic attack as I freak out when I feel like I've lost control of my body.”

CarlyM · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 19, 2016

“I have had severe PTSD, and anxiety for several years. I also have ADD, and insomnia. I started taking Clonidine and it immediately worked! My physical anxiety halted so quickly I almost didn't believe it. The only problem I have with it is it does make me extremely dizzy. I'm only on 1Mg a day but every time with out fail I get dizzy and a bit sleepy for about an hour.”

KrustyArt · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 9, 2018

“Clonidine can totally change your life. It can also make you a zombie during the first 2 to 4 weeks, but eventually you will normalize and become used to it. Only take the minimum needed to reduce your anxiety. Any more makes you a kind of altered consciousness (not in a good way) that leaves you empty of thought and too heavy, weak, tired and slow to live an ordinary life. For me, the dry eyes, and dry mouth is pretty bad if I take more than the usual dose. It also seems to alter the way some foods taste. It turns chocolate into a waxy, greasy mess (not in reality, just for you.) and most high fat processed foods taste really bad. Fresh foods and even natural fatty meat still tastes normal. I love and eat a lot of chocolate so this is a serious side effect!”

lostplanetgirl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 26, 2019

“I was given this medication with Paxil for severe anxiety. I never took the Paxil BUT did the clonidine. I was told to take a half of a 0.1mg tablet twice a day for panic attacks as needed and one whole 0.1mg at night for insomnia. The first time taking it, IT WORKED! I took half of tablet in a American Eagle dressing though but got extremely tried. But ever since than It is not as extreme as the first time luckily. It just helps enough that I don't get myself thrown in the ER. I don't take it everyday tho.”

Katluv · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 24, 2020

“Years ago, I had a mini-stroke, also known as a TIA. After I had tried countless different medications, I agreed to try Clonidine. In addition to my chronic hypertension, I also have PTSD. This medication GREATLY helped with panic attacks; I would be calm in 10 minutes. It's sad that a hypertensive emergency can so easily happen if you abruptly adjust the dose or quit it cold turkey, because otherwise I'd still be on it. It works as good as Ativan or Xanax, and is far faster... but the risk if you forgot to take it, personally for me, outweighs the benefits.”

kentuckyloan · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 29, 2016

“Help with my anxiety by alleviating the nausea and lowered my blood pressure which resulted in less flushing due to anxiety. May have to go a little higher on the dosage to find your sweet spot, but I started at on .1 and went to .2 twice a day and it has really helped.”

Mike November 25, 2020

“I am going through withdrawals to get off Methadone for back pain, and I was experiencing severe anxiety and panic attacks. I had to get off it because it caused severe constipation like I’ve never experienced in my life and was very painful. I sent my doctor a text on Saturday after 3 days of mental disorders from the withdrawals and asked him for a prescription of Clonidine, which he called in to CVS immediately. I’ve never experienced anxiety and panic attacks like that before, and I have been through several withdrawals while detoxing off opiates in the past, which I started taking after two invasive back surgeries in January 1998 and October 2000. Today is Day #4 on Clonidine, and I have not had the anxiety or panic attacks. I’m not going to take it tomorrow because I don’t want to become addicted to another drug with additive qualities. If the anxiety returns tomorrow, I’ll take half the 0.01 dose that was prescribed that’s suggested in these comments.”

Kookla3193 December 3, 2015

“I was prescribed this when I went to a 5 day inpatient detox. They gave me this for anxiety as I could not use any benzos, due to my addiction. So when I left detox I remained on clonidine for about 5 months. It did significantly relax me, however, it lowered my blood pressure so bad that I would get a head rush and faint almost everytime I stood up. Keep in mind my size definitely was a factor as I am only 5'1 and 98 lbs. At the time.”

Levithan June 3, 2020

“Thanks to all the comments and I'm on .01 twice a day I take it at once and it works great but that's just the morning and by the afternoon it kinda wears off. I'm wondering how much you can take I'm confused about it being so low and if I tell my psychiatrist I know she help me out I just need to figure out a good dose is”

MattyC2 October 26, 2015

“Clonidine is a drug that produces many obvious physical and psychological effects, the most obvious being marked drowsiness. It supposedly works to fight anxiety by interfering with the chemicals responsible for those horrible, anxious feeling, pounding heartbeat and fear reactions. To that end, it works very well. It's hard to say whether or not it has a large effect on experiencing anxiety overall, however.”

GabrielRD · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2020

“I hate taking this medication it makes me extremely sick. I also get extremely groggy, weak feelings, fatigue, mood swings, and anxiety. I do not recommend for anyone unless you're having trouble sleeping.”

Jay · Taken for less than 1 month April 15, 2020

“Clonidine helped a lot with my anxiety and sweats. I would sweat in public situations or even going to a corner store, embarrassing. This really helps even more than the xanax for my sweats. Anxiety doesn't go away completely but still an amazing drug. Does nothing for depression so looking to try something on top of this medication.”

MrMisdiagnosed · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 19, 2019

“I was given 0.1mg twice per day to control anxiety but it made me so tired and dizzy it was difficult to stand up. Many years later after seeing dozens of doctors it was determined I had adrenal insufficiency and needed hydrocortisone. This drug will decrease Cortisol production and make you feel even worse so be advised.”

Middle Age Male · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 7, 2016

“I have been on a month and helps with anxiety. The nausea and muscle tension has went away. I would recommend. Few side effects, and you will get use to the drug after about a 2 week period. Will make your hands and feet cold, but I can deal with that.”

AustinRev · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 16, 2016

Catapres (clonidine): “Was diagnosed with Bipolar 1 (Mixed Episodes w/ Psychotic Features) as well as Unspecified anxiety disorder. My anxiety gets so bad to the point it makes me vomit. I took 1mg in the morning and 1 mg at night. It made me extremely sleepy and fatigued to the point I couldn't function. I work and am in college full time so I couldn't handle that at all. Would not recommend this medication.”

ampartlow September 28, 2014

“I was prescribed 0.1 mg tablets of this for anxiety and sleeplessness. It was good for anxiety attacks because it put me straight to sleep in about 10 minutes, but it didn't help me sleep through the night. It also didn't help with everyday anxiety.”