User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Clonidine Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 13 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Withdrawal.

Reviews for Clonidine to treat Opiate Withdrawal

"I was a heroin and oxicodone user for years. Do not take suboxone for heroin withdrawals it does not work at all it will make u take a trip to e.r. It does not work trust me. I had so much fear of stopping opiates because of the tremendous reaction going from heroin to suboxone that I stayed on oxy's. Well I went to detox and they gave me catapres and I had zero withdrawal symptoms. Trust me if u take heroin or opiates this medicine does and will work for you. It's a miracle drug. Don't let opiates ruin your life all you have to do is take this medicine and you will get your life back. Withdrawal symptoms had me so scared but I literally had no pain when I took this medicine. It works."

Jimbos September 24, 2016

"Bin on herion off and on for 25 years did the methadone thing for a year but got kicked out the program it's crazy I don't drink but when I was on methadone I started drinking beer eventho I wasn't useing herion .I don't have any health issues and don't use any uther drugs going cold turkey I have about 20 0.3milligrams of clonodines I'm goin in will update in a week or so!"

IF 6WAS 9 September 12, 2016

"I have been on suboxone for 5 years. I tapered slowly down to .5mg. I thought I'd be fine when I stopped. Nope. Had the usual symptoms of sub w/d. Pretty bad. On day 3 I called my Dr and demanded something to ease the pain and restlessness and nausea. He prescribed mW clonidine, gabapentin, and seroquel. I took the clonidine and gabapentin and slept for a lil while then woke up kinda like a zombie. I have to work tomorrow so I definitely will not be take anything before work. It did what it was supposed to do though. No muscle or joint pain. I'm relaxed and comfortable and I can finally sleep. So overall food deal. I may try just one or the other...clonidine or gabapentin. I don't wanna be the walking dead....."

Heather119 (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2016

"This medication saved me from all the horrible pain I was suffering. I stopped all the other meds (benzos and ambien) thanks to this med. it makes me tired but after a quick 30 minute nap I am ready for my day with no withdrawal symptoms. I am detoxing from suboxone and I am on day 8. Please try this medication if you are an opiate user and want to quit. Please do not get on suboxone. I was on it for 5 years. Yes, it changed my life and I am stable but for cheaper clonidine could have done the same and I wouldn't have to suffer another detox!"

Seviya (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2016

"Under treatment for 5 years for Peripheral Neuropathy & severe burning pain in toes, feet, ankles & lower legs. W/Pain doctor, used 30mg Oxycodone 3X/day + 1.2 grams of Gabapentin 4 times/day + (at max.) 20 mg of Methadone, 4X/day. On Methadone for 2.5 years. Oxy for 4 years. Did a 6-month slow weaning off Methadone. Feeling much better now, but STILL get an occasional hot flash and massive sweats. Then, went "cold turkey" on the (FOUR YEARS of) Oxycodone. .Started Nucynta Extended Release: 150mg 2X/day. And used 0.3mg of Clonidine 3X/day for withdrawal. But WD was still pretty bad. Used frequent Medical Marijuana to handle WD symptoms."

Gary in New Hampshire (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016

"Will try soon.. Nothing else to hold on to.."

YOGAROGAKAKUNASAROGA (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2016

"I was a trash can to say the least. A normal day over a 4 year period consisted of .2 of dope, 4/pure 15mg oxys, 2/10mg methadone, a little coke, 2/10mg adderall. Ishould b dead . I checked into detox and was given .1mg clonidine and 1mg ativan 2x a day for 3 days. Im on day 7 now of detox and 4 days off clonidine. Its a wonderful drug. It doesnt take 100% of wd away but atleast 80% of wd were kept at bay. The ativan makes you sleep through the majority of wd. But on day 5 I felt better than I had in years! After day 4 its a mind game of the fear of living without opiods, just stay busy and youll pull through. Trust me I never thought id pull through"

Yourstry July 12, 2016

"Been doing opiates since i was 14, started with percocets, then oxy 10s got up to 10 80s a day by 19, then heroin at 22 , smoked 2 grams a day, plus 200mg methadone. in April i was introduced to fentanyl powder, i started at 0.1, it knocked me on my ass, within a month i was smoking 3 grams a day PLUS 200 mg methadone. I cold turkeyed for 3 days, couldn't stand the pain, i was literally SCREAMING like a little girl, so i took 100mg methadone, still VERY sick, for 3 days. Checked myself into a treatment centre, COLD TURKEY for 30 days. I am 30 days clean today, i have a 0.1 mg prescription of clonidine. It helps sort of i take it at nights for RLS. I haven't slept more then 2 hoursin 36 days but am feeling 80%. Sleep in a hot bath"

GaroH July 2, 2016

"This is my second attempt at withdrawing. My first attempt was back in February of 2016 from hydromorphone tabs 1mg x 16 a day. I went cold turkey and had no help except I used a bit of information from the Thomas recipe it was a bit helpful but my experience was horrific for a solid week. I started taking OxyContin 5/325mg a couple of months later cuz I couldn't take the pain and now I'm up to 10 a day and in a mess again. I went to the ER and asked for help with detoxing they gave me clonidine and lorazepam and I have to say I'm starting day two of the withdraw and I'm not feeling totally myself but their is less sweats and chills, the anxiety is almost nil. It's really helped me. i am even able to talk to people without any anxiety."

wendy dee June 14, 2016

"Been on oxy n morphs since early/mid 90's had a couple back surgeries, got off them but pain always comes back, ran a couple days short this month, tried some clonodine n it seems to help w/some withdrawal but makes me dizzy, so b careful!!"

Zobbie (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

"I'm 44 and I've been in the drug abuse game since I was a teenager. I went through the usual drugalogue from weed to speed and acid and ecstacy. cocaine until i found the love of my life, heroin. and so went on a roller coaster ride of overdoses, detoxes, broken promises, Hep C, friends dying. You know script. I paid to see a private doc in belgravia and they offered me 0.2 mmg 3 times a day clonidine. So I'm 4 days in and feel ok. A bit stiff coz I'm house bound. Will try to do yoga today but low blood presure is a hinderence. I should add I'm using non prescription diazipan. but my doc'd gimme them if i asked. Defo the easiest cluck I've ever done. I expect to be off theses tablets and bk at work in a few days"

A long term herion user, Dan (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

"I've been on Methadone 60mg for 10 years following an accident that broke my neck, shoulder and caused neuropathy. I use to beg for anything else, but unfortunately every doctor prescribe the same thing. I literally stopped my methadone 7 days ago, my doctor called in Clonidine 2mg and I take xanax anyways. I have to say I personally have experienced no withdrawal at all, and am beyond grateful for clonidine and that this horrid narcotics game is over... hope this helps! Best of luck!"

Hollylaine1977 April 24, 2016

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am not addicted to pain medications. I am on them because I have been diagnosed with 34 different diseases and illnesses the majority of which cause severe chronic intractable pain. At my last appointment with my pain management doctor I have seen for 4 years and have passed every UA and pill count, for whatever reason he absolutely would not tell me, he just decided without asking me about it at all, to not give me my prescription for the Morphine Sulfate ER 60 m.g. I take 1 every 8 hours. This is extremely dangerous to just yank someone off of ANY pain medication, anti-depressant, etc., instantly. I am not able to be off the Morphine. Now what? Clonidine interacts with my heart meds."

abbyinokc (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 18, 2016

"After injuring my back in 2008, (back surgeries in '09 and '11), I was on morphine and then hydromorphone and hydromorph contin for 7 years. Made the decision to go 'drug-free" in Jan15. In June/15 I entered detox for 10 days, followed by 8 weeks in rehab. While in detox, I was switched over to Suboxone 24mg/day. Since Aug/15, I have been decreasing my dose and am now at 4mg/day. When I tried to go to 2mg/day, I began experiencing severe withdrawal again and went back to 4mg. 2 days ago I reduced again to 2mg, but was also given Clonidine .5mg 3 three time a day. I expect the wd to start tomorrow and will be taking the Clonidine with it. I am hoping and praying that this will be the trick to getting my life back. Your stories have made me feel better."

Dman5 April 15, 2016

"I am 25 yrs old and I have been going to the methadone clinic for 7 YEAR'S! I am so tired of taking something just to feel normal. I have been on 103mg. I started tapering down a lil over a yr ago I am down to 11 mg a day. Last week money was tight due to bills and so I decided to just taper off of the bottles I have and hope for the best. I'm wanting to go to dr. And get some cholnidine to see if it helps."

Star2 March 28, 2016

"I'm on clonidine .01 mg before bed for anxiety and opiate withdrawal. I'm not finding it to be super helpful with either issue, although it does take the edge off some of the withdrawal symptoms. I had high hopes after reading some other reviews but I'm not experiencing the same effects. I've been on various opiates for the large part of the past 20 years, the last 6 on methadone maintenance. It has done wonders for me, but I gained a LOT of weight when I went on the methadone and I want to try to taper so I can successfully stay sober and maintain a healthy weight. So far I'm not feeling hopeful but it's only been a few days. I'll try to report back in a week or so."

DeepBlue46 March 27, 2016

"Been on Opiates for 14 years for numerous health issues lupus, fibromyalgia, neck and back surgery, gastric bypass surgery just to name some. Tried tapering, tried cold turkey tried suboxone didn't work went back using and more each time was up to 35 norco 10 a day in In increments of course for the last 3 years however went in last week and got clonodine for the worst part of the withdrawals was given trazadone for sleep and robaxin for RLS and back pain from the withdrawals. I also read about Elimidrol a natural herb product I haven't taken any robaxin I take 0.1 mg clonodine every 8 hours trazadone at night only just 1 50 mg and I only took Imodium the first day I feel awesome just energy a lil low don't give up!!!!"

Marie Anderson March 10, 2016

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have recurring biological Pancreatitis (not from gall stones, not from alcohol-I don't drink) and of course with each episode it's off the hospital for a few days with Dilauded. Coming off Dilauded as most know can be harsher than the illness. I went to a great pain mgt doctor and he gave me a RX for a box of Chlonodine Transmittal Patch's 0.30 mg you wear for a week each. After suffering from withdrawals in the past from Dilauded, CTP was given to me by an outside hospital pain mgt doctor. I have had ZERO withdrawls symptoms except for a minor cold sweat but that's it. No side effects from the patch. The key to this for me was to take CTP at the same time I started with Dilauded before tapering down. That way, the drug is already in me"

MikeLAX (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2016

Catapres (clonidine): "I've found clonidine does help very much with physical symptoms of opiate w/d.But many Dr's dont want to give more than a few pills at the lowest dose. Which wasnt any help at all. Its unfortunate that I ended up failing cuz I couldn't find Dr. to "trust" & understand I could handle a short term prescription- which regrettably led me to a methadone pgrm. Now I know better I know what I'll need once I finish tapering off the meth. Only thing is I don't hear anyone speak about side effects of stopping the clonidine tho. I gave it a 7 because I always get an uptick in my BP & heartrate. Best to be very careful & use for shortest time possible."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2016

"If you take clonidine 3 times a day and xanax 3 times a day...you will not feel any withdrawal. Maybe a little more tired. I take 0.5 milligrams of xanax morning noon and night. And clonidine 10 milligrams."

Joydepascale (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 13, 2016

"I am blessed to have found this site! I have been addicted to percocets for 7 yrs....2 days ago I ran out of meds ( I was 2 wks short on my refill) that's how many I used a day and if that wasn't enough I bought off the street. Long story short ..theres no room available in my area for detox..ER Turned me away. Even my family doctor ....PM nurse and doc put me on Clonodine and I feel amazing. Only after 2 days!! No withdrawal symptoms maybe slight headache is all. Please. If you feel there is no way out of this narcotic hell there is help. Just ask for it! I am so happy there is a bright future for me NARCOTIC FREE!! Best of luck to all that suffer. It WILL GET BETTER."

Kmw4271999 January 17, 2016

170 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am on a regular dose of Subutex and have been for 5 years. I had to have surgery and was put on Lortab 5 for pain and I took the 20 that was given to me over a 8 day period. After my last Lortab I started back taking my Subutex but found that it was not helping me. I found myself to be in withdrawal and I was not feeling well @ all. I was hurting all over, my nerves were bad and I was just beside myself. I called my Dr. who gives me Subutex and he sent me Clonidine and within an hour I felt so much better. This drug really helped me to overcome this difficult time in my life."

Terripey (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2016

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am a Marine Corps veteran ..I served in Desert Storm and in Somalia .. I was victim of an IED but survived. 2 of my buddies didn't. My left foot took the most damage and I almost lost it. I kept refusing amputation even though I was being told I would never be able to walk on it. 11 months later I was walking with the aid of crutches.. Long story short I ended up addicted to opiates. I tried over and over to kick the addiction myself with no luck .. And believe me I tried...for 14 years I tried .. I finally broke down and asked for help ... My doc gave me clonidine for my RLS symptoms and it worked wonders ... And this is coming from a person taking 240mg of oxycontin then was switched to 120 mg of opana a day. It works people ask for help"

One foot Vet (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2016

163 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking viks for migraine purposes & ended up taking 20 a day (1000's) for 4 years. Then addiction comes first in life. Then I decided to stop by taking suboxone 8mg per day - it's incredibly hard to get off it. I got addicted to it for a few yes then took methadone for about 2 months - curing opiates addiction with opiates not the best idea it didn't work for me . So now I'm taking clonidine .3 mg it was hell on earth for the first days . Shaking , burning of the body , hot & cold, RLS , and bad insomnia . After a couple of days it starts wearing down . Hanging in there !"

Fox 313 (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2015

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking viks at 19 for my migraines about 20 day 1000's & I'm only about 100 pounds. I took them for about 4 years. It was getting worse & I wanted to stop so I was put on suboxone 8mg per day then I got addicted to that I couldn't stop taking them for about 3 years. So then I tried methadone first week went already up to 50mg. So I stopped taking everything and had the worst withdrawals imaginable , I was rushed to the hospital & they gave me a clonodine patch, now I'm supposed to start the .3mg which scares me bc it says it lowers blood pressure & mine is a bit low already. Has anyone had any issues ?"

Clara25 (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2015