User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Clonidine Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 14 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Withdrawal.

Reviews for Clonidine to treat Opiate Withdrawal

"After 2 years on Subutex I want off. My doc has been gradually tapering me down over months (I was only ever on 8mg a day dose) and I am now only on 2mg every 2nd day of subutex tab. This week he sent me off with Valium and Clonidine. He said of course there will be discomfort. There is always going to be discomfort coming off opioids. It is inevitable but he also said that every 2nd day the discomfort I feel will be halved. I practice yoga daily, meditate and walk around the lake so I will continue these activities and take the clonidine and/or Valium as prescribed if I feel I absolutely need to. I had in the past has been rushed to hospital in an ambulance suffering withdrawals from oxycontin that felt like I was dying, vomiting and pooing everywhere, waking up in hospital 14 days later thinking I'd been there for 2 days - personally this feels like a walk in the park. I wish everyone luck living life free from addictive substances. Kind Regards from Australia K"

K March 30, 2018

"I was on 40 mg oxy, three times a day following a head on car collision. I went through therapies, 7 procedures, injections...you name it. Some things helped temporarily, but pain would always return. I realized what a fog I was in. My pain doc upped my dose (by 5 mg) I had been on the same dose for 2 years. I always dosed as prescribed. I became nearly bedridden. I couldn’t get up often and still had pain. I also had to have my meds with me. I asked the doc to get off of it, he gave me clonidine . I take one every 6 hrs on day 2-3, and then every 8 hrs day 4-7. Been off all pain meds since June 2017! :) YOU CAN DO IT!! I still have pain, but I am clear headed. EAT healthy. And no matter how hard it is make yourself get out of bed! 1-2 weeks you’ll feel good"

AzChrisLee (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2018

"I’ve been on Percocet for 6 months for post-surgery and also Norco 10/325 for years for an unrelated condition. My surgeon took me off the Percocet recently and I was worried I’d have withdrawal symptoms. My pain management doctor prescribed the Clonidine patch and it worked like a charm."

Mjr541963 (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2018

"Figured I would share my experience and review of clonidine as I’ll add to this as I go through my withdrawal. My story isn’t unique of course, though 16 years on pain meds my credentials are well earned (and a 4 year heroin habit mixed in).. I have many health issues, and many problems with abuse, which make 16 years pretty incredible haha but makes suboxone out of the question (same for kratom) another habit i don’t need. Last year I discovered an old friend from my youth (marijuana, and yes I’m aware there is some hypocrisy) which compared to my morphine was far and away a better pain alternative for me. So today 12/16 my journey to rid my body mind and soul of this rubbish"

WillyB73 December 17, 2017

"After being addicted to narcotics on and off for many years, I finally, with the strength of my lord and savior told Dr's I am done. Withdrawals were horrible the first couple days and nothing was helping. On day three of no narcotics and just started clonidine 0.1 yesterday. It works wonders but my only complaint is that I work full time so today I'm going to try just taking one at night. Kudos for all those kicking this awful narcotic addiction, God is so good!!!"

Mickey1247 December 4, 2017

"Marin County CA.... You described my night. I don't abuse my meds and take as prescribed. I use the fentynal patches. I put my last patch on for the month and it fell off unbeknownst to me. By the time I realized I was in withdrawal. Went to the ER as my pain Dr said and they refused to help. My pain Dr gives me 2 months of prescriptions because I've been seeing him since 2012. So to the ER thought I had the jacked up patch, my box showing when the Rx was filled along with my Rx request for my patch to be filled in 2 days. They would not do ANYTHING for me. It's frustrating. I called my Dr back and they called in the catapres. I'm hoping, like you, it helps. I just wish that ppl like us would get some compassion. I'm 43 and have NEVER used illegal drugs."

Glmsw (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2017

"I have been addicted to pills ever since I was 16 (32 now ) and didn't start using opiates for menstrual pain till 2008 and became addicted. I wanted to quit after countless times of trying to quit but because of withdrawal symptoms it was getting difficult so the doctor prescribed me clonidine this past winter back in February for withdrawal. After being sick from withdrawal after 2 wks of trying to quit times and it helped with the cramping but after I got a job housekeeping I went back on meds to try keep up with my job and kids. So now I am back to where I started - only now withdrawal is getting worst. After 8 days of staying clean I relapsed because of all the muscle aches "

Anonymous November 22, 2017

"I'm on the first day of being off of my pain medication. I take Norco 10mg 4 times a day. My pain management doctor is a godsend to me and is doing everything he can to help me off the medication. I do have a chronic problem with degenerative disc disease and arthritis in knees and hips. Something I will live with the rest of my life. I've tried cutting back before without the use of any subsequent medications to help with the withdrawal symptoms. Definitely unsuccessful. I read in one of the comments from a person that nicknamed herself Justryit, and found her comment to be completely helpful. I'm scared to get off the medications because I too have let them be my focus on the things that I do to make sure that I have my medication."

Scaredbutdetermined (taken for 10 years or more) October 28, 2017

"I require large doses of high strength opiates after an accident left my spine irreversibly damaged and in excruciating intractable pain. As the media and public demonizes these drugs since addicts abuse/overdose, (a lifesaver for the people prescribed/deserving) the times where I've been unable to obtain my normal refill and shamed out of the ER trying to explain I'm not a drug seeker have increased. I'm left in extreme pain along with withdrawal symptoms- a combination so incredibly brutally agonizing/horrific. One time I happened to have Clonidine for anxiety 0.1, taking 2-4 every 4-6 hrs (no Dr. would agree) and it relieved 70% of all symptoms. Very, very tired, but 100% WORTH IT."

Marin County CA (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2017

"I am in recovery (opiates of EVERY type since 2002) and being tapered down and it is a process that MUST be slow, measured and cautious! I would never imply someone was being less than honest, but many of these breezy, nearly symptom free withdrawal from opiates strains credulity to the breaking point. Only two people (so far) have been straight-up and said they are still going through some serious stuff, Clonidine isn't going to eliminate a single symptom ENTIRELY...my doc told me as much, and was correct. Clonidine will HELP. One person had it right here, username "WAITING FOR NEW START"-- "I took my clonidine and am sitting here with my restless leg syndrome...hoping for the best"-- THAT is the Truth. Manage your expectations --Good Luck!"

panickee (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2017

"I had been on morphine sulphate called mscontin for 12 years along with fentynal patch. MS is slow release as is patch. I decided to end this nightmare of Addiction and clean out. 3 months ago I tapered off the patch with no symptoms probably because of the MST I'm three days into detox after reducing dosage from 60 mg a day to 10 mg. Dr gave me clonidine 0.1 and lorazepam 1 mg. Both make me sleepy but I can't sleep more then 1 hr. Anxiety is always there and stomach upset, diarrhea and leg cramps. I wish I could say clonidine kept withdrawals away like others stated but that's not the case. I'm hanging in hoping tomorrow is better."

Jonboy11 September 4, 2017

"I was shocked having been through awful withdrawals before how much of a difference it was. I was easily taking 100mg/day of oxy. I tapered down too fast in 5 days to 15mg then was out. Couldn't get subs because I was also taking Xanax. Clonidine is very underestimated. I took it after my last dose of oxy and at 24/48 hours, I was groggy and weak but no stomach cringing muscle tension or nausea. It took a few days but today on day 3 I'm just fatigued. Still no withdrawal. Doesn't stop cravings and renders me lazy as hell but better than full withdrawal"

Shmeglyn (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2017

"I was addicted to the most powerful opioid carfentanil unknowingly and the withdrawals are so bad that they can be fatal. The first day I tried to quit I took an 8mg sub and it didn't even help and I had to be rushed to the hospital. So I relapsed the next three days. Then I finally found out what I had been taking and decided to go to ER the next day and tell them. I told them to keep me cause I didn't know what would work. The doctor told me he'd prescribe clonodine and send me home. I never heard of that and didn't think it would work so I pleaded with him for me to stay. That didn't work. So I got them filled and took them and they kicked my withdrawals ass. Way better than a suboxone."

Drew Drew (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2017

"Started taking norco 10/325 after ulner nerve surgery 2006 it went from 5 a day to 15-20 just to function for the last 6 months started taking 6 30mg oxy. I tried suboxone but that equally addictive went right back to pills. My 2nd day of detox I needed help Dr. put me on clonidine I'm on my 4th day with no withdrawal symptoms trazadone for sleep. Clonidine does make you lil groggy but it does work. Good luck to all that's in detox or thinking about it."

Tsport (taken for 10 years or more) August 24, 2017

"I definitely would give this for heroin or sub withdrawal. I had been on a 12 year on binge with opiates and I can finally say I'm done with the whole life style nothing changes or gets better when you're using. Even though I was able to really be functional addicted I'm done using. All the money I've spent to stay well and just to make it to the next day. I'm done begin left in despair. I don't need drugs to be normal. It's just a way of killing yourself in many ways. Get help, do whatever you got to do, to finally stay clean. Never give up"

Functional Couch bug (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2017

"Hi, wanted to add a post to help convince those who do not know clonidine yet that it's the best thing ever. I'd been using heroin for years before switching to methadone. It was fairly easy to taper 5mg at a time until 20mg, where it became more and more painful/stressful - I'm now at 4mg. I didn't have a clue about clonidine until two months ago, I looked it up on the internet and talked about it with my physician and he prescribed it to me. Then, the miracle happens: I switch from 5mg to 4mg, and 48h later at withdrawal symptoms onset I only had to take 0,5mg of clonidine to avoid ALL withdrawal symptoms. I had no sweats, no anxiety, no chills, no pins and needles, no trashy feeling... TRY IT, no side effects noticed."

Mr Z. August 18, 2017

"So I have medical conditions (back and head) that caused me to have hydrocodone, oxycodone, Dilaudid and so on increasing from the accident until now. Wasn't so bad at first, then I realized I became mega nasty cow without them, and I wasn't even in pain. I would count my day around when I needed my meds. Finally one day we took the kids to the beach and I forgot my purse (with meds in it) I drove 12 miles home to get it and realized it was ruling my life. Talked to my DR and he prescribed clonidine. I am not going to lie, I was scared, like I'm going to die scared. But I took 2 mg every 4 hours the 1st 2 days and then 1mg the next 4. And I am free! Granted I had ambien and klonipin for sleep (only for detox). I hope the best for all of you!"

Justtryit August 9, 2017

"I've had a lot of experience using clonidine for withdrawal symptoms. Though I'm working on staying clean, I've smoked heroin (tar) for a long time, on and off. The dope I was getting was very strong, and because I smoked it, the withdrawal would make me extremely sick to my stomach, so that I'd be throwing up for days, literally every few minutes. I'd end up in the ER. But with clonidine, I'm hardly nauseous (though I still add an anti-nausea med). With clonidine, my withdrawal symptoms are much more bearable, though still difficult. It might make you sleep the first day or two, but I'm generally still pretty sleepless. IT MUST BE DOSED correctly and be careful. For example, I take .1mg every 4 hours, then a bit less the next day, etc."

Santa Monica P August 6, 2017

"Was on oxycodone 10 mg for a year. Am now 72 hours clean from it. Started taking clonidine at the first hour. Took .2 mg every 5 hours for the first 48 hours. Dropped back to .1mg every 6 hours up until now. I have had zero withdrawal symptoms but I still have problems sleeping. The only downside is that it makes me very weak. I can barely walk. I would take being weak over the nasty withdrawal symptoms any day. I am 61 years old and I was hooked on various opiates back in 80s, went through many detox units and I never had an easier 72 hours than this time. I would recommend it to anyone."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 31, 2017

"Was on Percocet 5/325 for 3 years started to build tolerance dose was increased as had some life issues arose so started 10mg of Ocycodone then 20 mg suspedol for 3 times a day and 10 mg Neo per day ??? Realized that it's turning into 6 a day habit versus 3 which means I'm Technically on 180mg oxycodone . I am only motivated by getting out of bed in the morning by taking 40 to start to get me moving and then some days I'm good sometimes I'm not :( but I am early a few days and buy off people that don't use theirs :( Just tookClonodine 0.1mg as I sit here at 2 am not being able to sleep from the salvia mouth and restless leg syndrome which I always get along with stomach pain and flulike symptoms and of course lower back pain.Hope this works"

Wanting a new start (taken for 10 years or more) July 14, 2017

"I've had chronic migraines since I was 12. I've been on opiates since 24, now I'm 31. My doc from Northwestern started me on norco, now I'm in 80mg Norco and 150mg of oxycodone, a day. I told the doc I wanted to quit so he gave me xanax. Then I got hooked on 0.3mg xanax. Well, then I get a letter from Northwestern that my doc has left and lost his license and that I need to see a new doc. So I do, and he straight up says he will not prescribe any opiates or benzos, only clonodine. I'd never felt withdrawal before, the govt should get terrorists hooked like this. There is literally nothing I'd due to stop this feeling. I'm about to take .3mg of clonodine and am praying for sleep."

MigraineChronic (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 13, 2017

"Great info. Have taken suboxone years ago for an OxyContin "vacation" from reality so I knew it was just as addictive and spent a week in bed with the flu that prevented me from taking it so was horrible. Just coming off over a year of OVERPRESCRIBED hydromorphone (dilauded) 48+ a day. Started running out earlier and earlier and finally just decided, after scaring my family, was time to stop. Thought I was smart and 3 days of TINY amount of suboxone and I'd be fine. Not so much...over a week later had to DEMAND they let me try this as I can't control the CNS issues. I drink a lil so I'm nervous. Plan to try first dose tonight and praying for sleep and just mind/body rest. MD's don't like it when YOU think of getting off meds before they do!"

UncomfortablyFrazzled July 8, 2017

"I am 48 hours clean of any opiates. I was on about 40 to 80mg of oxcodone a day which I know isn't much, but enough to have failed getting off them multiple times in the past two months. I started to take .1 clonidine twice a day after about 24 hours and since then I have had not even a little feeling of withdrawal. I am so happy I did not try going on suboxone which I had done in my past."

FloridaDad2 July 8, 2017

"I was prescribed clonidine for my blood pressure. I was also prescribed 10 mg Norco for a female issues. I became addicted to Norco for almost 5 years when I said enough is enough. I had read about Clonidine being with opiate withdrawal so I gave it a shot and boy I have had zero withdrawl symptoms and like before where I always ended up using again I'm on day three I slept good I'm up having coffee which I haven't done in a long time I can't even remember. It made me drowsy the first few days. I was able to lower the dose and haven't taken a dose in the last 12 hours and I feel fine. If you have the opportunity please use clonidine I swear it works."

Only thing that worked for me (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 28, 2017

"I started using Norco about a year and a half ago. At first it was for a legitimate reason, my lower back. I had lumbar strains my entire life. Sometimes a serious strain would incapacitate me for about a week. So a friend of mine said I should go see this doctor of his because he'll prescribe Norco's. Well, excited as I was to get them, I was even more excited I got a script for 100! I told myself 3 a day, no more or my tolerance will lower. Before I knew it, I was on 8, sometimes 12 a day. After 1 year, I couldn't get my script on time. I was going to go in withdrawal. On day 2 of Clonidine. Soreness, like from a workout, is all I have felt. Using the patch. Best thing to happen since I started this behavior. Ask your doc!"

Norco user 10/325 8-10 daily (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 2, 2017