User Reviews for Clonidine to treat ADHD

Also known as: Catapres, Kapvay, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon

Clonidine Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Clonidine

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2020

“3 yr old son prescribed low dose clonidine, without even a diagnosis of ADHD. First few days he was sleepy but improved his mood and impulsiveness. After 4 days it made his behavior drastically worse, and within 2 weeks we discontinued.”

foxxyfraya · Taken for less than 1 month May 28, 2020

“Im just as distractable as ever but I am calmer and don't pick a fight every day, so it is a win.”

Chris · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 29, 2020

“I started taking clonidine just over 1 year ago after my anxiety, impulsivity and ADHD was getting out of hand. I also wanted to stop my stimulants because they didn't improve my quality of life like my neurologist kept telling me they would. My PCP recommended Clonidine. It really helps me relax and focus within about 30-40 minutes. I take 1 or 1.5 pills during the day when feeling anxious or overwhelmed and it really helps me relax, focus, and better control my thoughts. If I take 2 during the day, I get too sleepy. I do take 2 before bed and it helps me sleep really well. I really enjoy this medication, especially because it doesn't have addictive qualities. I'd definitely recommend this to others. Worst side effect was dry mouth that went away after the first few months. This med changed my life and is so simple.”

Walker · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 28, 2019

“Love clonidine! Works well if you have ADHD. Take it if you can’t stand the come down of stimulants. I have an overactive brain and have to stay away from all stimulants even strattera which has a stimulant type effect to it. Clonidine IR helps with ADHD too, not just the ER. It also helps with anxiety racy thoughts and sleep.”

CD · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2019

“Sadly, Clonidine left me feeling lethargic, foggy and ultimately, depressed after 3-4 weeks of daily use. Rather that persevere, I decided to stop with the trial and felt better within 48-72 hours. I've given it two stars because it did help me to sleep for longer but it didn’t improve my quality of sleep nor did it reduce symptoms of anxiety/RSD.”

NTG898 · Taken for less than 1 month December 7, 2018

“Trying this med for numerous reasons. Works for blood pressure but pulse jumps up over 100 at rest. Possibly due to using Diovan (valsartan) as well. Prescribed by psychiatrist to counteract effects from hypertension from taking add meds. BTW, clonidine is prescribed for children, but will lower blood pressure. Be careful if you do have low blood pressure. But give it a try for a week or at least speak with your doctor if you have other symptoms.”

Clau · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 6, 2018

“My son is 9 years old and he takes clonidine for ADHD he takes it twice a day - half in morning and other half a night. It made him really angry and saying really Bad Things I tried changing telling the doctor to change the medication but she does not want to so instead of changing it she gave me hydroxyzine for the anger but now she gave me clonidine three times half in the morning half in the afternoon and half in the night”

Vicki · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2018

“My autistic/adhd son finally gets rest at night and is much more calm during the day. I was scared to put him on meds so nice he is only 3 but it was for the best. So far so good!”

Pepper Dog July 31, 2017

“I have tried so many drugs for my ADHD and nothing has helped. My Med. Doctor gave me a GeneSight and it came back that I can take nothing for ADHD. So we tried Clonidine and I am so thankful we did. I don't obscess with thoughts and actions and have been able to sleep at night and get plenty of sleep. I do wake up with a bit of a hangover but that don't last long and that is okay because I'm sleeping at night. I am so thankful for Clonidine after many years of try different drugs and not getting stable this has been a wonder drug. I take Effexor and Latuda and with these drugs I am doing great. Thank god for these three drugs”

orangetoday · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2017

“This review is more frustration with my doctors than this drug. I was diagnosed with inattentive type ADHD over a year ago, although I've had it for my entire life. Because my heart rate was high, I was initially put on Strattera. Didn't work, massive headaches, gross night sweats. Gave up for a while. Finally got a new doctor and she puts me on Catapres because it helps with anxiety (which I have bundles of) and prescribing a stimulant would lead to "questions about her qualifications" (seriously tho). Taking it at night with my Trazodone does help put me to sleep, but has long-lasting lethargic effects during the day that end up causing ironic panic attacks at work because I hate feeling sedated when I need to be alert. Back to square one”

JLT86 · Taken for 10 years or more March 29, 2017

“My son has been on this for the 6 years because he would have fits at night before he started the clondine.. It has helped so much with his sleeping, impulseness.. I give this a ten..”

Mary Chi · Taken for less than 1 month January 13, 2017

“My son used various stimulants for yrs for ADHD and ODD. Now 10, newly diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) and still struggling because of impulsiveness & high metabolism, the docs added non-stimulants. Intuniv dropped his bp way too low. Clonidine IR worked GREAT the 1st 2 days, then okay. Changed to Kapvay for long-acting effects, but we stopped because of awful insomnia for 2 weeks. I rated Clonidine IR as an 8 because when we went back to Clonidine IR, his insomnia stopped and it decreased his impulsiveness. It just stinks that he has to take it over and over again because it's short acting.”

MaryChi · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2017

Kapvay (clonidine): “My son has used various stimulants for 5 yrs. Still struggling because of impulsivity & super high metabolism, the docs wanted to add non-stimulants. We started w/ Intuiv, which dropped his bp way too low (75/43) so stopped after 2 wks. Tried Clonidine IR and it worked GREAT the 1st 2 days, then fine (not great, just fine). The doc changed to Kapvay for long-acting effects, but we stopped after 2 wks because he got awful insomnia (took 2-3 hrs to fall asleep instead of his usual 15 mins). Last night we went back to Clonidine IR - he fell asleep quickly and slept great! I give Kapvay a 2 because it decreased his impulsivity a bit, but the insomnia was awful, he got more aggressive/emotional, and really affected him negatively.”

Mom of PANS Kid November 29, 2016

“My 11-year-old son has been diagnosed with PANS (Pediatric Acute-onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome).. Clonidine is so effective with my son that we only give him 1/8 of his pill. If I give him 1/4 he is very tired in the morning. He is also on a very small dose of Prozac. He takes Clonidne as needed for anxiety as the Zithromax (antibiotics) got rid of his tics so he doesn't need the Clonidine anymore for that. But sometimes his anxiety acts up at night and Clonidine relaxes him so he can sleep. He also has 1/2 a 3mg of melatonin but he can only take melatonin now that his tics are gone because before it made him tired while he was wired and that was uncomfortable. Anyway, Clonidine is the best medication for his anxiety, but if we give him the diagnosed amount he is a zombie in the morning”

susanjane2222 · Taken for less than 1 month October 11, 2016

Kapvay (clonidine): “My granddaughter started Kapvay and she is almost 10 years old. She has been diagnosed with ADD. She was using Intuniv, but 1 mg not enough for attention and 2 mg made her so so tired. Started Kapvay and WOW…cannot sleep….huge blister on her lip….legs hurt so bad. She is almost 10 but small, she weighs 47 pounds (she was 2.8 lb preemie-11 weeks early). Have to stop medicine. I also read that it was not a great choice for ADD alone.”

Mom of several · Taken for 10 years or more September 14, 2016

“I have 6 kids.All with Adhd/Autisum. Clondine was a god sent to my kids....we tried so many types and doses of meds....this has been the best...thank you”

Mommy Looking for Answers September 4, 2016

“My son was 2 when prescribed Clonidine for his extreme insomnia and ADHD. I was terrified at first. His behavior was so scary and so was the thought of giving my 2 and now 3 year old a blood pressure medication. My son has turned three and is still on the medicine about .2 per day. I have for the first time been able to enjoy my son, sit with him, hold him, laugh with him. He has advanced in speech so much his speech therapy has stopped. He was finally able to relax for a moment to hear us. In turn, we are now able to hear him, experience his emotions and explore his thoughts. I have my child back.”

Adoptive mom · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2016

“My almost 4 year old is extremely hyperactive. We have tried the stimulant and they just make him mean and more hyper. Clonidine before bed and 1/4 tab at noon and he is a different child. I hated putting him on medication, however he is so much happier not that he can control himself.”

WalterITC Dubai April 6, 2016

“We have child with Periventricular leukomalacia (PVL), he is not 6.5 years old and since 1 year suffered very bad sleeping quality. Waking up suddenly in the night, 2AM-3AM and cannot rest properly until 5AM or 6AM. Very nervous during the day, not having good attendance at special needs school. Melatonine, from 2 to 3 mg 1 hr before sleeping, was helpful to falling asleep quickly, but not effective to avoid night wake up or iperactivity. Since 3 weeks we started clonidine 0.1 mg, 1 tab night time before sleep, and it works very well. Since day 1 he is calm and rests well. Few nights he woke up but not nervous or crying/shouting, just calm for a couple of minutes and back to sleep. Also at school and during the day he's more quiet and calm.”

Melbs1969 February 26, 2016

Kapvay (clonidine): “My son was diagnosed with ADHD in 1st grade. He's now in 6th. We've tried so many meds...Concerta, Intuniv, Focalic, Metasomethingoranother, and more. The stimulants caused massive mood swings. And the other stuff just didn't work well either. He's now on Kapvay, the generic form of it, and so far, so good. He takes .1 mg in the morning and we just increased evening to .2mg. The only trouble we've had is sleep. He falls asleep but wakes up by 4am. And then, doesn't fall back to sleep until 6 but has to be awake by 7:30. So, right now, he's texting me to bring him coffee. Not sure what to do about the lack of sleep but I'm really happy with how he's responding otherwise. The mood swings have lessened. Now they just seem tween-typical.”

Emmie Rotherham · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2016

Kapvay (clonidine): “Depression for fifteen months hinged on the fact that my inattention was so bad. Every day it was constantly "OH MY GOD CAN'T DO ANYTHING." I had so many motivations and ambitions for projects and was so overwhelmed by ADHD that I could not do any of it. All I can say is that I am really disappointed with Strattera... I fought and fought to get a stimulant to no avail and they finally gave me Kapvay for bedtime. It's been two weeks and my depression has finally lifted because my inattention and distraction is gone. They are symbiotic with each other. And now I can DO STUFF and not have to binge watch Impractical Jokers anymore. To ADHD I stand atop a tram in a superhero costume and say "SUCK IT!!!"”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2015

“My son is 5 and was born with FAS, has been diagnosed with adhd and autism. He was prescribed clonidine a few weeks ago and has really started to stutter. He has had issues with being overly excited while speaking. Maybe he had a slight stutter that is now worse, we are not sure. He also takes Adderall and risperidone. For any parents with kids that have sleep issues, we use liquid melatonin at night. 3mg works great for him, may not work for all, but thought I would share.”

Skippy1967 June 29, 2015

“Well my Doctor boosted my ADHD medicine Adderall XR to 30 mg and I have a hard time falling a sleep even after a 14 hour work day. So he prescribed clonidine to counter my Adderall XR. Adderall helps me function at work really well. But my sleep disorder has worsen. I was taking Xanax and Ambient to sleep, but since I started adderall XR I had to stop taking the other two medications. What helps you sleep?”

Amichellec33 June 29, 2015

Kapvay (clonidine): “My son is 6 years old and was diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, Aspergers syndrome, and possible bipolar disorder. We have tried so many medications, Ritalin, Adderall, Focalin XR, Risperadal, Seroquel, and regular Clonidine. He is now taking 300 mg of Trazadone which doesn't help, 15 mg of Abilify, and Kapvay. I've spaced the three medications out but he still wakes up at 9 am and goes to bed at 3 am. I am at a loss right now because the psychiatrist says he's limited as to what he can put him on but the Trazadone I swear seems to wire him up. He's wide awake as I am writing this post. The Kapvay does make him cranky and irritable during the afternoon, any advice please.”

iris RN March 21, 2015

“I'm 26 and took vyvanse for 6 years for ADHD. I never was able to live up to my potential in academics until I started taking vyvanse and am now an RN. I don't like the way stimulants make me feel and finally decided to quit taking vyvanse after my doctor started me on clonidine 0.1mg at night for sleep. After taking them both for two months, (vyvanse 60mg in AM and clonidine at night) I decided to stop the vyvanse and have seen amazing results with only the clonidine. I have the same energy and personality as my old self with ADHD off of vyvanse, but compared to not taking stimulants without clonidine as compared to not taking stimulants with clonidine, I feel like I can finally live without a prescription narcotic and be successful. I never thought I could live a normal, productive life without vyvanse. It feels great, and I'm so thankful that when I asked my doctor for ambien to help me sleep, she first asked me to try clonidine.”