User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Clonidine Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Clonidine to treat ADHD

"My son has been on this for the 6 years because he would have fits at night before he started the clondine.. It has helped so much with his sleeping, impulseness.. I give this a ten.."

JLT86 (taken for 10 years or more) March 29, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My son used various stimulants for yrs for ADHD and ODD. Now 10, newly diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) and still struggling because of impulsiveness & high metabolism, the docs added non-stimulants. Intuniv dropped his bp way too low. Clonidine IR worked GREAT the 1st 2 days, then okay. Changed to Kapvay for long-acting effects, but we stopped because of awful insomnia for 2 weeks. I rated Clonidine IR as an 8 because when we went back to Clonidine IR, his insomnia stopped and it decreased his impulsiveness. It just stinks that he has to take it over and over again because it's short acting."

Mary Chi (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Kapvay (clonidine): "My son has used various stimulants for 5 yrs. Still struggling because of impulsivity & super high metabolism, the docs wanted to add non-stimulants. We started w/ Intuiv, which dropped his bp way too low (75/43) so stopped after 2 wks. Tried Clonidine IR and it worked GREAT the 1st 2 days, then fine (not great, just fine). The doc changed to Kapvay for long-acting effects, but we stopped after 2 wks because he got awful insomnia (took 2-3 hrs to fall asleep instead of his usual 15 mins). Last night we went back to Clonidine IR - he fell asleep quickly and slept great! I give Kapvay a 2 because it decreased his impulsivity a bit, but the insomnia was awful, he got more aggressive/emotional, and really affected him negatively."

MaryChi (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My 11-year-old son has been diagnosed with PANS (Pediatric Acute-onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome).. Clonidine is so effective with my son that we only give him 1/8 of his pill. If I give him 1/4 he is very tired in the morning. He is also on a very small dose of Prozac. He takes Clonidne as needed for anxiety as the Zithromax (antibiotics) got rid of his tics so he doesn't need the Clonidine anymore for that. But sometimes his anxiety acts up at night and Clonidine relaxes him so he can sleep. He also has 1/2 a 3mg of melatonin but he can only take melatonin now that his tics are gone because before it made him tired while he was wired and that was uncomfortable. Anyway, Clonidine is the best medication for his anxiety, but if we give him the diagnosed amount he is a zombie in the morning"

Mom of PANS Kid November 29, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Kapvay (clonidine): "My granddaughter started Kapvay and she is almost 10 years old. She has been diagnosed with ADD. She was using Intuniv, but 1 mg not enough for attention and 2 mg made her so so tired. Started Kapvay and WOW…cannot sleep….huge blister on her lip….legs hurt so bad. She is almost 10 but small, she weighs 47 pounds (she was 2.8 lb preemie-11 weeks early). Have to stop medicine. I also read that it was not a great choice for ADD alone."

susanjane2222 (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have 6 kids.All with Adhd/Autisum. Clondine was a god sent to my kids....we tried so many types and doses of meds....this has been the best...thank you"

Mom of several (taken for 10 years or more) September 14, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My son was 2 when prescribed Clonidine for his extreme insomnia and ADHD. I was terrified at first. His behavior was so scary and so was the thought of giving my 2 and now 3 year old a blood pressure medication. My son has turned three and is still on the medicine about .2 per day. I have for the first time been able to enjoy my son, sit with him, hold him, laugh with him. He has advanced in speech so much his speech therapy has stopped. He was finally able to relax for a moment to hear us. In turn, we are now able to hear him, experience his emotions and explore his thoughts. I have my child back."

Mommy Looking for Answers September 4, 2016

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My almost 4 year old is extremely hyperactive. We have tried the stimulant and they just make him mean and more hyper. Clonidine before bed and 1/4 tab at noon and he is a different child. I hated putting him on medication, however he is so much happier not that he can control himself."

Adoptive mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2016

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"We have child with Periventricular leukomalacia (PVL), he is not 6.5 years old and since 1 year suffered very bad sleeping quality. Waking up suddenly in the night, 2AM-3AM and cannot rest properly until 5AM or 6AM. Very nervous during the day, not having good attendance at special needs school. Melatonine, from 2 to 3 mg 1 hr before sleeping, was helpful to falling asleep quickly, but not effective to avoid night wake up or iperactivity. Since 3 weeks we started clonidine 0.1 mg, 1 tab night time before sleep, and it works very well. Since day 1 he is calm and rests well. Few nights he woke up but not nervous or crying/shouting, just calm for a couple of minutes and back to sleep. Also at school and during the day he's more quiet and calm."

WalterITC Dubai April 6, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Kapvay (clonidine): "My son was diagnosed with ADHD in 1st grade. He's now in 6th. We've tried so many meds...Concerta, Intuniv, Focalic, Metasomethingoranother, and more. The stimulants caused massive mood swings. And the other stuff just didn't work well either. He's now on Kapvay, the generic form of it, and so far, so good. He takes .1 mg in the morning and we just increased evening to .2mg. The only trouble we've had is sleep. He falls asleep but wakes up by 4am. And then, doesn't fall back to sleep until 6 but has to be awake by 7:30. So, right now, he's texting me to bring him coffee. Not sure what to do about the lack of sleep but I'm really happy with how he's responding otherwise. The mood swings have lessened. Now they just seem tween-typical."

Melbs1969 February 26, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Kapvay (clonidine): "Depression for fifteen months hinged on the fact that my inattention was so bad. Every day it was constantly "OH MY GOD CAN'T DO ANYTHING." I had so many motivations and ambitions for projects and was so overwhelmed by ADHD that I could not do any of it. All I can say is that I am really disappointed with Strattera... I fought and fought to get a stimulant to no avail and they finally gave me Kapvay for bedtime. It's been two weeks and my depression has finally lifted because my inattention and distraction is gone. They are symbiotic with each other. And now I can DO STUFF and not have to binge watch Impractical Jokers anymore. To ADHD I stand atop a tram in a superhero costume and say "SUCK IT!!!""

Emmie Rotherham (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2016

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My son is 5 and was born with FAS, has been diagnosed with adhd and autism. He was prescribed clonidine a few weeks ago and has really started to stutter. He has had issues with being overly excited while speaking. Maybe he had a slight stutter that is now worse, we are not sure. He also takes Adderall and risperidone. For any parents with kids that have sleep issues, we use liquid melatonin at night. 3mg works great for him, may not work for all, but thought I would share."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2015

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Well my Doctor boosted my ADHD medicine Adderall XR to 30 mg and I have a hard time falling a sleep even after a 14 hour work day. So he prescribed clonidine to counter my Adderall XR. Adderall helps me function at work really well. But my sleep disorder has worsen. I was taking Xanax and Ambient to sleep, but since I started adderall XR I had to stop taking the other two medications. What helps you sleep?"

Skippy1967 June 29, 2015

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Kapvay (clonidine): "My son is 6 years old and was diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, Aspergers syndrome, and possible bipolar disorder. We have tried so many medications, Ritalin, Adderall, Focalin XR, Risperadal, Seroquel, and regular Clonidine. He is now taking 300 mg of Trazadone which doesn't help, 15 mg of Abilify, and Kapvay. I've spaced the three medications out but he still wakes up at 9 am and goes to bed at 3 am. I am at a loss right now because the psychiatrist says he's limited as to what he can put him on but the Trazadone I swear seems to wire him up. He's wide awake as I am writing this post. The Kapvay does make him cranky and irritable during the afternoon, any advice please."

Amichellec33 June 29, 2015

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm 26 and took vyvanse for 6 years for ADHD. I never was able to live up to my potential in academics until I started taking vyvanse and am now an RN. I don't like the way stimulants make me feel and finally decided to quit taking vyvanse after my doctor started me on clonidine 0.1mg at night for sleep. After taking them both for two months, (vyvanse 60mg in AM and clonidine at night) I decided to stop the vyvanse and have seen amazing results with only the clonidine. I have the same energy and personality as my old self with ADHD off of vyvanse, but compared to not taking stimulants without clonidine as compared to not taking stimulants with clonidine, I feel like I can finally live without a prescription narcotic and be successful. I never thought I could live a normal, productive life without vyvanse. It feels great, and I'm so thankful that when I asked my doctor for ambien to help me sleep, she first asked me to try clonidine."

iris RN March 21, 2015

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My 5 yo has been diagnosed with ADHD and impulsiveness. I was also concerned about her not sleeping or napping. She was moody and smart mouthed constantly. Her doctor put her on the lowest dose of Clonidine and the first couple nights was a miracle. She slept from 8pm to 9am. She was calm, didn't talk back, relaxed and watched a full movie with me. About a week into the medicine, she still doesn't have a problem falling asleep, but is waking up all night, getting up sometimes before it's light out, and is hyper! So hyper she is jumping out of her chair sporadically, she can't think straight, she can't focus on anything. We are going to bring this up at next appt for sure. It's like once the meds wear off watch out!!!"

mizzy313 December 30, 2014

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have not experienced any negative side effects from this medication. It has helped me a great deal with my ADHD at night with anxiety, helping me to calm down in the evening to get sleep."

CMP1981 December 22, 2014

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Kapvay (clonidine): "I'm a 44 year old female, was in a car accident. Placed on pain meds for the last year. Had two surgeries and now I ask Dr to help me get off pain meds. He prescribed me Kapvay 0.01 mg. It has been a God send. It allowed me to sleep and took edge off my withdrawals...thanks."

greatful February 27, 2013

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Kapvay (clonidine): "My 9 year old son has ADHD. Kapvay was the seventh medicine that we have tried to help him with impulsivity and concentration. He has been on this medicine for nearly one year. We switched to Focalin last month but the tics came back and the restlessness at night. His school performance was no better than before so we are back to Kapvay. Since the medicine must build up in the bloodstream to be highly effective, we are in the very sleepy stages but I know this will pass as soon as his body is accustomed to the medicine. I have learned my lesson. There is no stimulant that will help my son. Kapvay will help reduce the impulsivity but improvement to concentration must come from age and proper training."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 15, 2012

150 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Kapvay (clonidine): "My 7 year old daughter has been on Concerta 18mg for a year. She started to tolerate that medicine, but I did not want to increase the dosage. My doctor recommend we add Kapvay to her current concerta dose. This has made all the difference. She is no longer bouncing off the walls, jumping on the couch, or leaving half way through a meal. She is engaged, focused and less moody. Her emotions are more regulated and we did not tell her teacher but she even commented on the change without us sharing the news. We are so happy, and this medicine is worth the time it takes to condition to the sleepiness that happens in the initial 2 weeks. Hope the changes stay."

Anonymous February 14, 2012

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Kapvay (clonidine): "My son has been on every medicine available for ADHD and it didn't work. I thought to myself one day how about giving him his night medicine during the day. I asked the doctor and he said if we were going to do that I prefer giving him Kapvay rather than the Catapres he's on so we did and I could not be more happier. On his color chart everyday he was bringing home green which is great, the past 3 days though in the afternoon they change it from green to a warning which is yellow so maybe I need to increase his afternoon pill just a little. Other then that Kapvay is great!"

adhd tired. January 26, 2012

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Kapvay (clonidine): "My 6 yo tried this after Intuniv failed. It made him constantly tired and irritable, and actually made his impulsiveness worse since he just seemed cranky and emotional all of the time. It also constipated him to the point that ended up with fissures. It never made a meaningful dent in his ability to concentrate or sit still, and he became more argumentative in school and less willing to comply. I've yet to meet anyone that these work for, but it sure would be nice if there were a non-stimulant that worked. We're on stimulants now and still haven't found a miracle there, either. I will say that it didn't affect his appetite, which was nice."

Anonymous January 20, 2012

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Kapvay (clonidine): "My daughter has tried several other stimulant medicines with the most horrible side effects. Kapvay was tried and very well appreciated in our home and at her school. The teachers were amazed at the change and the relief for myself was a God send. "

momofanangel January 1, 2012

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Catapres (clonidine): "It makes me sleepy during the day but helps with side effects of Wellbutrin (itching and stuttering). Helps me sleep at night so it is doing something for me."

Anonymous June 10, 2011

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Kapvay (clonidine): "My 5 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD just yesterday, the Behavior Specialist said his was one of the worst cases that she had seen in a while, she had suggested putting him on a stimulant medication, I told her i would like to a non-stimulant medication first and she prescribed him Kapvay. My son took it for the first time last night before bed, he went right to sleep and when he woke up this morning he was the calmest most pleasant, helpful and nicest he had ever been in his life. I could not believe the overnight change. I'm so glad it worked so fast, he has not gotten in trouble once today which is a new record! His teachers are going to be thrilled on Monday! Thank you to the makers of Clonidine!"

VERYhappyMOM! April 30, 2011