User Reviews for Clonidine to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Catapres, Kapvay, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon

Clonidine Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Clonidine

Aggies73 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 4, 2020

“I have been on Clonidine for a month now. I have had uncontrolled high blood pressure for 5 years secondary to Pulmonary Hypertension (PH) . The doctor I was under the care of wasn’t inclined to treat my PH because I am a woman. I switched physicians and was immediately referred to a specialist at Baylor Heart & Lung Clinic. He changed my medications and tossed in Clonidine at night and PRN use as needed. My blood pressure is well controlled and I can breathe!”

Velma · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2020

“I struggle to find anything to help my bp as well and have tried everything and always so sensitive and have side effects that drastically affect my life. I tried this and it helped at first and if you only took it once at bedtime it might be ok but I took it 2X like they said and fell asleep in meetings and at my desk, I could not function and took the first one right away since it was really high and could barely drive back to work and then had to rest my head. It was awful, I have a job calling on customers and was not functional at all. Praying for a better option.”

Red · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

“I have been on the clonidine patch for 5 days and my blood pressure readings are still 177 / 152. I am also dizzy and headachy. I have been wearing the first patch for 5 days.”

Rae · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 10, 2020

“I have been taking clonidine for about 8 year's straight. I was given the drug for extreme hypertension! I've never had any of the above mentioned side effect unless I took extra. Which over the course of the year's I have had to do because of a high tolerance to the drug. But I have had a rapid decline in tooth health with decay/loss which I'm sure can be attributed to the dry mouth I experience! I have started using to biotene and hard candies to combat this issue. Clonidine has never made me feel groggy, I never have "nightmares" I've only gotten dizzy/faint when having over taken the drug. What it does is drops your blood pressure- hence the fact it's prescribed also for high blood pressure”

D February 3, 2020

“Clonidine was my third group of blood pressure meds due to side effects from others. Started out with 0.1mg at night. 6 months ago I starting 196/101 so I ended up at 0.3mg morning and night. Yes, it lowers blood pressure. I couldn't function as a human being but it lowers blood pressure. I am in the construction industry so this was not going to cut it. I was tired, noxious, couldn't think straight, remember anything, balance was way off. The list goes on. I don't drink alcohol but I would relate it drinking mescal tequila all day long. It was by far, the worst med I have ever taken. I am now off of it. I never realized how bad it was until I got off clonidine. My life was put on hold for 3 months while on the higher dose. I am now trying to catch up. I know all meds effect different people differently but IMO this is one to stay way from. Watch for side effects. Giving this a 2 rating. It works for BP, but the side effects blow this one out of the park”

Blingy Lady January 17, 2020

“I have used clonidine for 1+years. It's my last resort med. I've had HBP for 40 years and have tried most other HBP meds with bad results/side effects. Clonidine at first made me very tired and my eyes sensitive to light. These both wore off after a few weeks and the only side effects that remain are dry mouth & eyes and sometimes heel pain. But these are tolerable to me compared to ER trips for 230/130 blood pressure. I take it 3 times a day exactly every 8 hours. Over 8 hours, I get withdrawal symptoms. Then my pharmacy changed me from Unichem brand of clonidine to another brand. My blood pressure went through the roof! I couldn't figure out why my blood pressure was spiking & my face was beet red. Then I realized that it only happened since they changed brands. So I found an original Unichem clonidine pill and took it and low and behold normal blood pressure and no red face! These companies need to be held accountable for substandard pills!”

Stefany · Taken for less than 1 month January 13, 2020

“I went into the emergency room for a pulled side muscle and a blood pressure of 215/120. I was given clonidine while I was there in the waiting room. An hour later I was nauseous and so dizzy. Ended up in the restroom throwing up with diarrhea and so weak and dizzy I couldn't stand or walk straight. Long story short, I had to get a change of clothes and stayed in the restroom for an hour before I could come out. It lowered my blood pressure to 120/60 but I don't ever want this medicine again”

Rod · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 30, 2019

“I'm on three other BP meds, and couldn't get the BP down to normal. The Dr. put me on clonidine and my BP finally went to normal levels. Unfortunately, the med only lasts for about five or six hours, and my BP goes back up to around 150/90. So far, the only side effect is the dry mouth. I can't say that this is the solution, but it is the first time in about four years that I have had a handle on my BP.”

Wayne December 18, 2019

“I have been on clonidine 0.1 two times a day for three years. I do cut the 0.1 tablets and a half so I take 0.5 four times a day. I have to say there are side effects with this medicine but it works fantastic for my high blood pressure which is a problem for my lung disease I don't have regular high blood pressure, I have a lung disease that causes my blood pressure to go high. Without this drug I know I would be dead. The only thing I could say is be careful on which manufacturer you get. I use unichem manufacturer which seems to be really good on my blood pressure. So don't switch manufacturers because they all act and feel differently in your system. The side effects that I get during the three years is thinning of the top of my head of hair and some days I'm very tired and I sleep and sometimes I have some aches and pains. I'm very grateful for clonidine”

Tambo · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 17, 2019

“I have been taking the drug clonidine for my blood pressure for going on three months now. It does mostly keep my blood pressure normal. I did have one spike one night. But if I sit up for a few minutes my blood pressure goes back to normal. I decided to look at people’s reviews because I am having some “side effects” and am concerned. My side effects are upper pain across my back, sometimes just behind my heart in my back. Also anxiousness before my next dose is due. Also some humming sound in my ears, or my heartbeat in my ears. Other minor things but mostly these are the major concerns. Any advice from anyone?”

opie · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 11, 2019

“My wife and I have been taking clonidine for about 3 years. It works great for us. I think it has saved us from a stroke or heart attack. Yes you can have dry mouth, but I thought all drugs had some kind of side effects”

Sybil · Taken for less than 1 month November 16, 2019

“I switched to clonidine from amlodipine for various complicated reasons. It has been horrible. I've been on it for about 10 days -- I can barely stay awake during the day, I'm constipated, and it doesn't even lower my blood pressure (I'm taking .1mg, twice a day). I'm stopping it as of today and going back to amlodipine, which kept my blood pressure under control. This is a horrible drug.”

kalasmom3 October 20, 2019

“I've used clonidine before for high blood pressure. I don't think I had hot flashes at the time but I wanted to give my two cents worth regarding a couple things. It absolutely will make you sleepy for a couple weeks then it wears off. The sleepy part that is. Also you get dry mouth. The sleepy part is great at night for those of us with insomnia but during the day it's not feasible. Lastly I need to comment about how much people are saying they're taking. NO WAY it's 25 mg probably 0.25 mg! I overdosed on this medication when I was much much younger. It would be very dangerous for someone to take a dose like that! Please don't play with these pills. If your doctor says one pill, take one pill. I may try them again for hot flashes as HRT made my migraines worse.”

Merry · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 25, 2019

“Works reasonably well in combination with Lisinopril and Metoprolol to keep my BP in the normal range. But recently experiencing constipation and not sure I am comfortable being on clonidine for the long term. I believe much of my bp problem is related to anxiety but my cardiologist isn't interested in hearing that.”

Marci · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 29, 2019

Catapres-TTS (clonidine): “I started taking clonidine for opioid addiction and high BP when I stopped pain management. I was on Percocet 10/325 180 count and Fentanyl 50mg every 3 days, every month . For 11 years... When I went to my GP I was in horrible withdrawals and high blood pressure. Catapress-TTS took all my withdrawals away and lowered my blood pressure. It was a life saver... It made the whole process better. I still take it for my blood pressure.”

Kitty · Taken for less than 1 month June 26, 2019

“Shocking reaction of severe shin pain within hours of the first patch applied in November 2014,..subsequent knee and joint pain, and chronic muscle ache for 4 and 1/2 years now, Rue the day it was prescribed. A once active lifestyle now seriously limited due to mobility and bone ache. Inflammation triggered from day one. Heinous drug”

Chrissy · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2019

“The clonidine is horrible for me. I take Clonidine 0.2mg for BP and I am dizzy, have headache, chest pains and palpitations. After take it once a day at night, for 2 weeks, I stopped and felt so much better and all those symptoms went away!! About a few weeks later I experienced rebound hypertension with heart pain and palpitations and my BP was 187/116!!! My BP has never been that high!! So I took clonidine and that lowered my bp to 128/77 the next day, but those nasty symptoms returned. I had no idea the effects on the body when you discontinue it on your own. All I know is I want off and I want off now!!!”

Lcstrauss · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 15, 2019

“Clonidine works very well in controlling blood pressure, but if you already suffer from slow moving bowels, this medication makes it infinitely worse if you are taking more than .1mg. I finally had to switch medications due to chronic constipation on the drug. Side effects list that as an issue-my doctor said no, it doesn’t cause that. Well, it does”

Danza · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2019

“My pharmacy always gave me Clonidine from the company Unichem. For some reason they changed to another company. When I took first dose instead of bringing down the BP like Unichem pill for clonidine did always instead it elevated. I never see under 170/99. This pill is not working as needed for what Unichem gave me in the same dose of 0.2. I hunted and came across an old Unicem bp pill and took it and my bp came down like it should had done. So the next time I am due for a pill I take the new brand and again it elevated. I am filing with the state medical board to investigate. This company is not making the pill at mg it is suppose to be. They have the dose incorrect is what the urgent care doctor stated and he has referred me to my family doctor to file report and get another medicine not with this company.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 14, 2019

“Prescribed 0.1mg for hypertension at my annual physical. Being unaware of this condition I did not know that I actually had white coat syndrome and that BP was not nearly as bad as office reading. This drug causes dry mouth and fatigue in addition to orthostatic hypotension which makes you lightheaded upon standing. Check your BP at home. It might be lower than you think. Overall not a good experience. Change your diet and exercise. BP will normalize and you won’t have to deal with side effects.”

Ron · Taken for 10 years or more December 29, 2018

“Clonidine will lower your blood pressure when nothing else works, but once you've been on it a few years (I've been on .3mg twice a day for almost 12 since I was 27) you will be stuck with it. If I miss a dose my BP can easily rise to 240/130 so use it only as a last resort after trying other meds. I have had a blood pressure problem since my early 20s and tried many other meds first, 2 of which I'm still on in conjunction with clonidine. The main side effects are dry mouth and sedation also postural hypotension (feeling faint when you stand up) these effects will mostly go away after a few weeks. It's extremely powerful so try all the others first, like I said it does the job but the rebound hypertensive effect of missing a dose will make you feel like garbage and is deadly.”

Alex_C · Taken for less than 1 month December 15, 2018

“My BP was 180/118 for my DOT physical, was prescribed this and told to return next day. Next day BP was still high. I've been taking a 0.2mg/day for a week, lowest BP was 175/101. Now taking .2mg every 12hrs, 0.4mg/day. BP 194/113”

Sore feet December 13, 2018

“Tendon problems back of calves and my heels are in pain so I can't walk well. Does the blood pressure ok.”

Vet November 6, 2018

Catapres-TTS (clonidine): “Have had no problems with it.”

Dahlia · Taken for less than 1 month October 5, 2018

“Finally, after trying different medicines for high blood pressure, I was given Clonidine. This medicine has my BP perfect! I am so relieved and thankful!”