User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Clonidine Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 346 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Clonidine to treat High Blood Pressure

"Five days after I began using the Clonidine patch, I started having terrible side effects. These included extreme dizziness, constipation, diarrhea, and a hard bloated stomach. I immediately discontinued the patch after using it for 6 days. These effects are still continuing to a lesser degree almost two months later. My hair also stopped growing, but started to regrow after a month. My blood pressure did go down, but it wasn't worth it! The owner at my local health food store recommended that I try taking Beet Root - 2 pills twice a day. My blood pressure is now normal and I'm having no side effects!"

SpTff June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Tingling, burning in toes with swelling, Leg discomfort were major complaint , particularly on left side."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I do not respond well to drugs and need the highest dose possible; eg I have taken Amitryptline 100 mg plus Clonozapam 2 mg for sleep for years and still am not a good sleeper. Clonidine was added to my blood pressure regimen (Lisinopril 40, Atenolol 100, Amlodipine 10) when I continued to have erratic blood pressure and frequent TIAs. When my blood pressure is high, it is my go-to drug because it works. And I got a couple of side benefits. It has a calming, sedating effect on me and, added to my other sleeping meds, really helps me get quality sleep. And then, I discovered that it helped when I was having a severe flashback (I also have PTSD and other dissociative symptoms, including fugues). It has been a wonder drug for me."

PriDee55 May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on clonidine since probably 1985. Was in Navy, went to see doctor before transfer, B/P was 210/118. I was 24. Girl who took my B/P said "you should be dead". No problems before that at all. My doctor says I have "world class" blood pressure. In between, have seen lots of specialists, changed my drugs and dosages, etc. Clonidine is the only thing that seems to work for me. Taking Amlopidine and Lisinopril once a day and clonidine .3mg four times a day. Yes, I know it's a lot but you learn to live with it. I've learned to cut the pills in half and take them twice as often. Levels out the side effects and smooths out blood pressure spikes.Do yourself a favor, if you are on this medication, carry some with you. Don't be caught without"

James McFartyface May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hair loss . Sleepy, thirsty , low energy"

Sons04 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well- I was prescribed this in the ER for cardiac rythym issues and crazy cardio. Electrical activity. - transdermal - had periods of high and low BP no reason diagnosed yet. Also on 100x3mg morphine sulfate, MS Contin (es) 5x daily for severe back injury w. 7 surg. Had been able to not have ANY cardio issues at all- e.g.- sweating,pounding heart, erratic ryth. , ringing ears, feeling like passing out etc. also able to drop pain mgt by 30% no issues or wd. Worked like a charm and only knew about cardiac uses until I looked at the reviews here (no joke). stats-age 47 M/W no smoker no alcohol no rec. drugs. No other scripted meds."

Mr heart attack in the making (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take it at night because my Doc said it could cause drowsiness but I have taken it during the day if I have a BP spike and I've never had drowsiness or dizziness, guess I'm lucky considering what I have read here, I also take amlodipine in the morning and don't have any side effects with that."

manicmaggie (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking clonidine for over a month for anxiety but the psychiatrist said it can help my hypertension as well. so I went ahead and tried it and after a few days of taking a small quarter half of the 0.1 mg I was able to go to half which I am very proud of cause I have severe anxiety when it comes to taking meds! anyway I had3blood pressure scares in a 2 month time that lead me to my P.c.& 5 Hbp meds later (2 in which had me in the ER for allergic reaction) it is safe to say that this medication has been a huge blessing to me for anxiety & Hyp. My #'s for bp is still higher than I'd like but has went down several points in 2-4wks. I am fairly OK with this one! A Lil drowsiness&dizziness but I can get used to that!GIVE IT A TRY!"

ShellyDD36 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started showing signs of hypertension at the young and tender age of 16. I started taking blood pressure medications soon after. I am now 27 and still fighting to keep it under control. Here the past year I have been in the several times for 180s/120s. My poor dr has tried everything he can think of over the past several years and I have even been to multiple cardiologists. No one knows why I am having high blood pressure and no meds seem to be working. My dr placed me on the patch to see if it will work. Right now I am on 0.1 mg patch for a week at a time. No change at all in blood pressure being high. It is currently 166/111. Not really sure what to do at this point I am not over weight and salt is cut out of my diet for the most part."

BPsufferer (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For some reason this was the very first med my dr. RX'd me for hypertension at a dosage of 0.1mg twice a day..It lowered my BP but not by much so he increased it to 0.2mg twice per day. Bp still high and he AGAIN increased to 0.2 3 x a day. It lowered my BP very little but mostly it just made me groggy and gave me dry mouth. He finally added metoporol xr and my bp is getting better. However, the clonodine does come in handy for other things like opiate withdrawal, sleep and headache prevention."

sopranofan (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Sharing my experience with clonidine for one reason, I had uncontrollable high blood pressure that no other blood pressure medicines could bring down. The Dr the tried me on Clonidine.. It took about 20-30 minutes to start working but it saved my life. The bad effects from clonidine that I've found, it makes me sleepy often and sometimes gives me cotton mouth. Either way, I'm still alive! Also clonidine is very affordable."

Misc1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was taking Amlodipine I was for high blood pressure (about 160/85).. I had to stop taking it because I could get diarrhea 10 minutes after being constipated. My vision was blurry. My PCP prescribed 0.1 MG twice a day The medicine hardly made a change so my PCP increased it to two pills twice a day: no change at all. The side effects were horrible: a desert-dry mouth, fatigue, sleepiness, assorted muscle pains, a limp in my right leg. I stopped taking it and within 24 hours those symptoms disappeared."

Jan Pol May 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am new to this drug. I've never had high blood pressure before now. Weight gain doesn't help it. I was on Norvasc 5 mg. It made my heart race & my face bright red. I called the pharmacy & asked about cutting it in half. They said it was OK to do. My pill cutter is inaccurate, so it was more like a 2/3 to 1/3 split when I cut it. I am cowardly regarding Rx medicine. I took the 1/3 pill. Same exact reaction - very fast heart beat & red face. I was only walking from the kitchen to the computer - not exercising. So I had this one (Clonidine) in the ER when I went in for back pain (which turned out to be shingles). It worked quickly in ER but made me dopey. I'm gonna try it for a week. I'm in my mid 60's."

Emma Jones (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well I just started been on them about a month now. And so far I guess I'm cool with them. My high blood pressure was just out of control yall. But so far I haven't had a bad trip or anything and I'm also an Suboxone user have been for 8yrs an counting.. I had a few side affects like the Stuffy Nose an Insomnia..an this is my story.."

carcar April 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been taking it on and off because I have high blood pressure. However I am a college student and I suffered from severe drowsiness during the day. I was precsribed 0.1 mg at night. I slept well but during class I was so sleepy I found it difficult to stay alert. I stopped taking it and currently I am on break from school. I restarted the clonidine and I was hoping I would get used to it but I still feel drowsy during the day. On the other hand my blood pressure has still been high its been 4 weeks and I am taking it religiously. I plan to discuss this to my doctor on my next office visit. I am afraid that she is going to increase my dose. I can only imagine how much more drowsiness I am going to feel on a higher dose :("

Floq (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Used Clonidine Transdermal for 3 months, brought BP of 169/114 down to average of 135/90. Had swelling of face, redness/swelling/itching of eyes and blurred vision. Made it extremely hard to function with tiredness and inability to think, and worsened feelings of depression. After 3rd month, developed painful itchy rashes at patch site even with application of Benedryl spray before application. Became allergic to jewelry, deodorants and some foods. Trial of Lisinopril was a nightmare, so had to go back on the patch with worsened symptoms. Have been off for two days and pressure is spiking. I am to try another med, but am experiencing prolonged allergic reaction at patch sites and am nervous about the consequences."

nrvsldy432 January 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking clonidine for over ten years. I was diagnosed with hypertension at young age and also struggle with ptsd, nightmares, anxiety, and insomnia. This medicine is so helpful to me in many ways. It helps me sleep, it eases anxiety and controls my blood pressure very well still. I have to take my full dose (.04 mg) at night or else I get too sleepy taking half in morning. The only complaint I have is withdrawal is very unpleasant if I miss even one dose. Always have it with you in case you can't get home because it can make your b/p spike and make you very jumpy and anxious."

Clashcity19 December 25, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Clonidine has been the most effective drug I have used to keep my blood pressure under control. My BP is now in the 130/80 range which is down from 155-160/110. I do take it with a diuretic as well. Dry mouth is definitely a symptom but over time it diminished for me. Also, it does make me a little tired but not so much that I can't function. I take my night dose before bed anyway. Another little bonus is it seems to have eliminated my occasional RLS symptoms."

GS Andy August 31, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had high blood pressure and felt really scattered, hard 2 focus, couldn't meditate, anxiety, when trying 2 go 2 sleep @ night, heart would beat really fast then skip a beat or two a few times, then would slow down, but heart rate was higher than it is now that I'm on clonidine. It has helped me to focus to calm down to meditate, just altogether my energy is much more positive and upbeat and happy. Everyone is different and responds differently to medication, but .1 mg of clonidine has for me made such a huge difference in my physiological and mental health it seems like a miracle drug to me. Thank God my Dr put me on it."

R H M August 30, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Catapres-TTS (clonidine): "DR Recommended patch over Clonidine tablets I was taking. Waited the three days for any effect. During the three days I had to resort to my .1mg tablets to control my blood pressure. On the eve of the third night, my BP hit 160 meaning the patch was useless and I immediately when back to my regiment of .05mg (half tablet) three times a day. This keeps my BP between 125-135/75-85. I have an undiagnosed condition where I have surges to 210/110 and have been higher which can last from an hour or so to several days. The tablets stabilize my BP. Periochromocytoma has been ruled out. To add insult to injury these patches are very expensive even with RX plan."

GLGL August 1, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very effective, but has caused extreme drowsiness along with fluid retention. The drowsiness can be extreme in the morning and will require an hour nap. Lack of coordination and inability to think clearly and stay awake at times. Some SOB at times."

pharmboy360 July 20, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Weight gain, anxiety, blood pressure not improved."

Dory the fish (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After several years, my BP had continued a slow increase until I got to the point of 200/100 and ended up in the ER. . Had several tests run to rule out any other issues . So they started me on a nightmare ride of this drug and that drug ALL of which made me very ill and all with major side effects.My dr finally tried clonidine 7-day patch and omg what a change. Sure the first week I did spike once but not badly (only 150/84) but after that I have been holding steady at 110/65 and NO side effects at all. I am thrilled."

foxhunter1958 (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Makes me dizzy, unsteady on feet and sleepy. Little to no effect on lowering my blood pressure. Before I started taking meds my diastolic was 80 to 90 now it's 100 and above."

GmFay (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking clonidine for at least 7 years and still have sedative side effects at the dose of 0.2 mg twice a day."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 11, 2014