User Reviews for Clonidine to treat High Blood Pressure (Page 2)

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Duraclon, Kapvay Clonidine ER

Clonidine Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Clonidine

Gavin F · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2018

“It definitely lowers my blood pressure, but I get dry mouth and I'm always sweating.”

Todd115 July 9, 2018

“I've tried every high blood pressure medication there is Clonidine is the only thing that works best time to take it is 0. 1 mg before bed”

Avoid Chlonidine · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2018

“This drug gave me intense hallucinations. I'd ask the doctor for something else if you have any tendency toward hallucinations (vicadin does that to me as well). Then my dad took just one pill and had to go into the hospital with severe diarrhea and passing out.”

Happy Camper · Taken for 10 years or more June 16, 2018

“Clonidine was good for me in the beginning, more so for my anxiety than my high BP. I started having terrible side effects all the bad ones listed pretty much after several years on this drug. Then it just stopped working for me. It was very hard to get off of it. It took several months..I would not ever take this drug again...”

Kathy May 28, 2018

“I have problems with blood pressure meds, but the clonidine patch is horrible. It has caused a lot of bad side effects, I feel horrible all the time, it has caused bad reactions with my other meds.”

mmcubb · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 18, 2018

“I have used probably 12 or 13 different blood pressure medications in the last 20 years. Clonidine lowers your blood pressure NOW. After 2 doses my blood pressure is 109/70. For me the sedation is here and there, not every day. Has a good calming effect.”

sarahita · Taken for less than 1 month December 19, 2017

“No. No. No. Scary. I never had sleep problems and when I went to the doc my blood pressure was high because of somethings going on in my life. She said here take this. I got home took it and woke up with dreams that scared me so bad and then I felt drained all day. I've been on it 3 days I don't like it. Last night took my normal med slept better then I have all week.”

Shellyyme · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2017

“I am being weaned off valium, but I still on morphine.. I have been going through withdrawal symptoms. Sweating , insomnia, anxiety, panicky, stomach pain, BP going up to stroke zone, glucose levels, just as bad. All of September and October have been some of the worst days of my life.Dr. put me on Clonidine for high blood pressure, made it go higher and I am sleeping my life away... not good.”

Joyce Milty August 18, 2017

Catapres-TTS (clonidine): “It has reduced my blood pressure while taken in conjunction with 2 other drugs. However, I feel just plain lousy 2-3 days after taking it. My arms and legs feel leaden and I have no energy. As the week goes it those side effects appear to lessen and I feel ok. Then the cycle repeats itself. It has also reduced my heart beats to below 60. I wonder if this drug is worth it.”

fuzzi4844 · Taken for less than 1 month August 10, 2017

“just started using it.”

Dellia · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 8, 2017

“Have been on Clondidine 0.1 @ 3 times daily for a year. As long as I place my pills eight hours a part in a day, I am ok with them. They don't have the side effects the other blood pressure meds. have. I hope I never have to go off this med. I am 78 years old.”

SpTff June 17, 2017

“Five days after I began using the Clonidine patch, I started having terrible side effects. These included extreme dizziness, constipation, diarrhea, and a hard bloated stomach. I immediately discontinued the patch after using it for 6 days. These effects are still continuing to a lesser degree almost two months later. My hair also stopped growing, but started to regrow after a month. My blood pressure did go down, but it wasn't worth it! The owner at my local health food store recommended that I try taking Beet Root - 2 pills twice a day. My blood pressure is now normal and I'm having no side effects!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 16, 2017

“Tingling, burning in toes with swelling, Leg discomfort were major complaint , particularly on left side.”

PriDee55 May 27, 2017

“I do not respond well to drugs and need the highest dose possible; eg I have taken Amitryptline 100 mg plus Clonozapam 2 mg for sleep for years and still am not a good sleeper. Clonidine was added to my blood pressure regimen (Lisinopril 40, Atenolol 100, Amlodipine 10) when I continued to have erratic blood pressure and frequent TIAs. When my blood pressure is high, it is my go-to drug because it works. And I got a couple of side benefits. It has a calming, sedating effect on me and, added to my other sleeping meds, really helps me get quality sleep. And then, I discovered that it helped when I was having a severe flashback (I also have PTSD and other dissociative symptoms, including fugues). It has been a wonder drug for me.”

James McFartyface May 16, 2017

“I have been on clonidine since probably 1985. Was in Navy, went to see doctor before transfer, B/P was 210/118. I was 24. Girl who took my B/P said "you should be dead". No problems before that at all. My doctor says I have "world class" blood pressure. In between, have seen lots of specialists, changed my drugs and dosages, etc. Clonidine is the only thing that seems to work for me. Taking Amlopidine and Lisinopril once a day and clonidine .3mg four times a day. Yes, I know it's a lot but you learn to live with it. I've learned to cut the pills in half and take them twice as often. Levels out the side effects and smooths out blood pressure spikes.Do yourself a favor, if you are on this medication, carry some with you. Don't be caught without”

Sons04 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 6, 2017

“Hair loss . Sleepy, thirsty , low energy”

Mr heart attack in the making · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 26, 2016

“Well- I was prescribed this in the ER for cardiac rythym issues and crazy cardio. Electrical activity. - transdermal - had periods of high and low BP no reason diagnosed yet. Also on 100x3mg morphine sulfate, MS Contin (es) 5x daily for severe back injury w. 7 surg. Had been able to not have ANY cardio issues at all- e.g.- sweating,pounding heart, erratic ryth. , ringing ears, feeling like passing out etc. also able to drop pain mgt by 30% no issues or wd. Worked like a charm and only knew about cardiac uses until I looked at the reviews here (no joke). stats-age 47 M/W no smoker no alcohol no rec. drugs. No other scripted meds.”

manicmaggie · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 24, 2016

“I take it at night because my Doc said it could cause drowsiness but I have taken it during the day if I have a BP spike and I've never had drowsiness or dizziness, guess I'm lucky considering what I have read here, I also take amlodipine in the morning and don't have any side effects with that.”

ShellyDD36 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 17, 2016

“I've been taking clonidine for over a month for anxiety but the psychiatrist said it can help my hypertension as well. so I went ahead and tried it and after a few days of taking a small quarter half of the 0.1 mg I was able to go to half which I am very proud of cause I have severe anxiety when it comes to taking meds! anyway I had3blood pressure scares in a 2 month time that lead me to my P.c.& 5 Hbp meds later (2 in which had me in the ER for allergic reaction) it is safe to say that this medication has been a huge blessing to me for anxiety & Hyp. My #'s for bp is still higher than I'd like but has went down several points in 2-4wks. I am fairly OK with this one! A Lil drowsiness&dizziness but I can get used to that!GIVE IT A TRY!”

BPsufferer · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2016

“I started showing signs of hypertension at the young and tender age of 16. I started taking blood pressure medications soon after. I am now 27 and still fighting to keep it under control. Here the past year I have been in the several times for 180s/120s. My poor dr has tried everything he can think of over the past several years and I have even been to multiple cardiologists. No one knows why I am having high blood pressure and no meds seem to be working. My dr placed me on the patch to see if it will work. Right now I am on 0.1 mg patch for a week at a time. No change at all in blood pressure being high. It is currently 166/111. Not really sure what to do at this point I am not over weight and salt is cut out of my diet for the most part.”

sopranofan · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 1, 2016

“For some reason this was the very first med my dr. RX'd me for hypertension at a dosage of 0.1mg twice a day..It lowered my BP but not by much so he increased it to 0.2mg twice per day. Bp still high and he AGAIN increased to 0.2 3 x a day. It lowered my BP very little but mostly it just made me groggy and gave me dry mouth. He finally added metoporol xr and my bp is getting better. However, the clonodine does come in handy for other things like opiate withdrawal, sleep and headache prevention.”

Misc1 · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 5, 2016

“Sharing my experience with clonidine for one reason, I had uncontrollable high blood pressure that no other blood pressure medicines could bring down. The Dr the tried me on Clonidine.. It took about 20-30 minutes to start working but it saved my life. The bad effects from clonidine that I've found, it makes me sleepy often and sometimes gives me cotton mouth. Either way, I'm still alive! Also clonidine is very affordable.”

Jan Pol May 17, 2016

“I was taking Amlodipine I was for high blood pressure (about 160/85).. I had to stop taking it because I could get diarrhea 10 minutes after being constipated. My vision was blurry. My PCP prescribed 0.1 MG twice a day The medicine hardly made a change so my PCP increased it to two pills twice a day: no change at all. The side effects were horrible: a desert-dry mouth, fatigue, sleepiness, assorted muscle pains, a limp in my right leg. I stopped taking it and within 24 hours those symptoms disappeared.”

Emma Jones · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2016

“I am new to this drug. I've never had high blood pressure before now. Weight gain doesn't help it. I was on Norvasc 5 mg. It made my heart race & my face bright red. I called the pharmacy & asked about cutting it in half. They said it was OK to do. My pill cutter is inaccurate, so it was more like a 2/3 to 1/3 split when I cut it. I am cowardly regarding Rx medicine. I took the 1/3 pill. Same exact reaction - very fast heart beat & red face. I was only walking from the kitchen to the computer - not exercising. So I had this one (Clonidine) in the ER when I went in for back pain (which turned out to be shingles). It worked quickly in ER but made me dopey. I'm gonna try it for a week. I'm in my mid 60's.”

carcar April 21, 2016

“Well I just started been on them about a month now. And so far I guess I'm cool with them. My high blood pressure was just out of control yall. But so far I haven't had a bad trip or anything and I'm also an Suboxone user have been for 8yrs an counting.. I had a few side affects like the Stuffy Nose an Insomnia..an this is my story..”