User Reviews for Clonidine to treat Hypertensive Emergency

Also known as: Catapres, Kapvay, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon

Clonidine Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Hypertensive Emergency.

Reviews for Clonidine

Anonymous January 25, 2019

“Just want to add something to my comment of Sept 25 2017 above. I have subsequently learned of a condition called "secondary hypertension" that is not the same as "resistant hypertension" or "isolated" because it has another cause somewhere in the body. Could be renal, could be pulmonary, or a couple of other possibilities, and if you are struggling with systolic hypertension that is hard to treat, the advice is to look for an underlying cause and leave no stone unturned. In my case, renal and pulmonary have been ruled out through echo/doppler tests, and I am scheduled to see a specialist in secondary hypertension next week. The fight to maintain healthy BP can get exhausting.”

Bayou B · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 11, 2018

“I went into renal failure and my doc discontinued HCTZ. Then put me on metopolol and losartan 100mg. Amlodipine made my legs swell terribly. ACE inhibitors made me cough. Hydrazaline gave me petechiae, cough, shortness of breath and severe headaches. Clonidine worked and only gave me dry mouth. Problem is clonidine is only effective ~6hrs and the doc wants to cut it down. My BP goes to 180/110 without clonidine. I like clonidine, it works. I only take it when my BP gets to 140/90 or higher. We are going to try the transdermal patch.”

vjm1639 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 11, 2018

“Be very careful with Clonidine. It worked well for me, but then my bp started spiking every day and I'd need the Clonidine again to lower it. It was causing a blood pressure rebound. They have switched me now to a different med.”

Anonymous September 25, 2017

“My underlying condition is sinus bradycardia of 48-58 and low diastolic BP in the 50s and isolated systolic hypertension, resistant to many meds and often spiking into stroke territory. Currently on HCTZ, atenolol, losartan for BP. Have also tried adding aldactone, amlodipine, and one other (forgotten) with no effect on systolic. Because of the bradycardia and low diastolic, my BP is more difficult to control. So....an ER doc about a year ago advised 0.5 Clonidine for spikes >200 systolic. The problem is worse now, and I am promised a Clonidine patch for control. Highs have been up to 246/90. Been in ER 3 times recently. Really appreciate Clonidine. No side effects. Tonight BP was 235/96; took .175 to bring it down over two hours.”

Bill Adams26 July 4, 2016

“I now know how a baloon feels when it is deflated. I went to ER with 195/145. Clonidine brought it down very quickly. Only side effect was serious drowsiness shortly after. Thanks clonidine.”

SSRI'd October 4, 2015

Catapres (clonidine): “Clonodine has saved me more times than I care to remember from opiate to benzo withdrawal. I'll never understand why it isn't prescribed more often and why on earth benzodiazepines are given out so carelessly given they are nearly impossible to get off of after years of use and seizures-death are possible if quitting too suddenly. You can also experience withdrawal symptoms from benzodiazepines for up to three years. Rant over....”

web2015 · Taken for less than 1 month August 22, 2015

“Unexpectedly my bp was 202/120 when I showed up for my annual visit. Brought it down ro 178/100 quickly. Given a prescription for Valsartan and was back to 110 over 70 in a few hours.”

brokenmind · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2015

Catapres (clonidine): “I was given 0.2 mg of clonidine after having a hypertensive crises due to an interaction between a MAOI and another antidepressant. The first dose of clonidine (0.2) brought my blood pressure from 208/163 to around 140/110, at which point I was ready to head to the ER, where I got other meds. A few days later I had another crisis, but this one not as bad as the first: 173/140. The scary thing about the second crisis was that it took a total of 0.3 mg of clonidine to get my blood pressure to go down even a little. But overall, thank god for the clonidine! Maybe woulda had a stroke or something without it. My skin was all purple and the whites of my eyes were completely bright red, so I think the blood was trying to get out somehow.”

Bandit73 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 11, 2014

“I have night time spikes in my blood pressure and I also have Polycystic Kidney Disease which affects my blood pressure a lot because sometimes its too low, sometimes too high! I take lisinopril 40mg Norvasc 10mg and Cadurra 8mg for blood pressure maintaining but I have a script for clonidine 0.2mg twice a day as needed and what usually happens is I take first full dose at night when my blood pressure begins to rise then I wait an hour and check blood pressure and take .1 mg of clonidine and do same thing in another hour and what I've learned is that for me clonidine effects my heart rate within 30 minutes which is not good because I don't really have a high heart rate and clonidine has made me drop into the 40s a few times while trying to lower blood pressure.”

NeuralGear · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 20, 2013

Catapres (clonidine): “All I can say is THANK GOD for clonidine (Catapres). I'm just taking the pill form .2mg, and within 20-30 minutes my BP goes from about 172/105 to around 115-125/75-80. Only side effects I get are a little bit of dry mouth and some drowsiness. That beats the heck out of a stroke or MI, imo. BTW, I'm 6'2" and about 190. First med the doctors have found that actually WORK without nasty side effects. I hope your results with it are as positive as mine. Ciao.”

Susan White December 17, 2008

“I only use it when my blood pressure shoots up. It does a very good job of bringing it down, with a very low dose.”

Learn more about Hypertensive Emergency

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)