User Reviews for Clonidine to treat Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated

Also known as: Catapres, Kapvay, Clonidine ER, Catapres-TTS, Duraclon

Clonidine has an average rating of 6.2 out of 10 from a total of 60 ratings for the treatment of Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated. 47% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 28% reported a negative effect.

Clonidine Rating Summary

6.2/10 average rating

Compare all 1 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated.

Reviews for Clonidine

heather0816 April 24, 2020

“I was diagnosed with ADHD about a year ago, right before my 21st birthday. My life itself was extremely hard so the reason I went to see a psychiatrist was because I had severe sleeping problems mostly as a result of my PTSD from a sexual assault that happened to me as a child repetitively. Anyways, Clonidine has literally been a MIRACLE WORKER. I used to go days without sleeping, simply because my mind wouldn't turn itself off-- it couldn't... Immediately after I ran out of my first prescription I couldn't sleep. Fortunately for my ADHD and PTSD, Clonidine worked like aspirin to a headache-- it just knew where the pain was and how to make it go away. Now I've been on it for a little over 6 months and I never wanna remember what it used to be like again. I take it about an hour-2 hours before bed because it does take a minute to kick in, and as soon as I feel it I am met with tranquility. Might make you get a full 8-9 hours of sleep though so don't take it if it's only a nap.”

Tippy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2020

“I have had insomnia in such a severe degree, it could not be worse. For nearly a decade, I was only able to get 10 -12 hours of sleep every 7 days. Theres not a sleep remedy the doctors haven't thrown at me ( unsuccessfully). If I take 2-3 clonidine tabs, I sleep like a baby. I've recently discovered this. A little morning grogginess, but I'll take it. Its been awesome the last week getting some sleep! Thank you Lord!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 26, 2020

“I have horrible insomnia. I usually get 16 hours of sleep a week. Since starting this medication 2 months ago, I can finally sleep! I'm so impressed, I have tried so many other medications and nothing.”

katerD February 27, 2020

“I have been taking clonidine at a .2mg dose for over 10 years, originally prescribed for sleep disturbances caused by ADHD at a young age. At this point I am dependent on it to sleep and suffer terrible withdrawal symptoms and brain zaps should I not take it, and the longest I have stayed awake is roughly between 3 to 4 days. I am 22 years old now and have begun the tapering process with hopes to quit taking it all together (this is what was recommended by my doctor.) For what it was prescribed for it worked wonders helping me sleep soundly at night. At this stage I do take a supplemental medication to help me stay asleep (I recently switched from Trazadone to Mirtazapine, natural sleep aids do not work for me personally) as Clonidine primarily helps me fall asleep. However I would not recommend long term use (in my case 10+ years) if possible to prevent developing a dependancy.”

Anonymous February 15, 2012

“I was put on this medication after I was injured in an IED blast in Afghanistan. I have been using it for almost a year now and I could not be happier with its results. It helps me fall asleep, but does not make me feel groggy even I need to wake up in the middle of the night. It also helps me to avoid nightmares and other anxiety related symptoms. If you want a sleep aid that does not have the side effects of others like Lunesta or Ambien I would strongly recommend talking to your doctor about clonidine.”

adwarren · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 8, 2016

“I absolutely have to say this drug is a miracle. I have severe insomnia and clonodine helps me greatly. I mean it completely knocks me out at night and I do not wake until the next morning. Which is just a wonderful thing for me and my long journey of struggles with insomnia.”

Beth October 7, 2020

“I have suffered from insomnia all my life until my doc prescribed me clonidine! She originally prescribed it for night sweats due to antidepressants, which it didn’t help at all, but now I can sleep and it’s great.”

Anonymous January 23, 2021

“I've tried everything for my sleep problems even Xanax and medical Marijuana. I have severe anxiety at bed time and can't sleep at all. But clonidine knocks me out till I start drooling. It's great minus the drooling lol. But it's a miracle medication for me. I have severe anxiety every day, but at night it is the worst! I take all 3 cuz of how severe my mental health is.”

Determined June 30, 2020

“We have a 7 year old son with Autism. We have tried Risperidone and Abilify they worked but the side effects out weighed the pros. Now we are trying Clonidine. With this drug and really all medication you have to be patient to get the full effect. You do see some changes in the beginning but not all as their body gets used to it, it gets more effective. He takes 1/2 in morning and 1/2 before bed total of .1mg of Clonidine Hcl. My son cannot swallow pills so you are able to crush the pill to put in yogurt. In the beginning he fell asleep now he is better with that. It does calm you and helps with aggressive behavior. It does help with sleep but again every night is not perfect but we have more better nights than not. The one thing we notice is when that dose wears off you can see the change behavior wise sometimes the medication burns faster on more active days. Our son had no weight gain, no increase in eating just the small nap in the beginning of first dose.”

jennie · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 20, 2016

“I had most of the listed side effects before I was put on Clonidine, 0.1 as needed. I have found them to work blissfully well as a sleep aid. My major chronic depression, muscle pain, arthritis, fibromyalgia, anxiety, PTSD, all remain in place. I've tried many meds for these conditions. Usually I end up scrapping them for ineffectiveness. Clonidine is one of the rare drugs that works properly.”

Energize37 September 25, 2017

“My daughter was using melatonin for many years to help her fall asleep due to ADHD issues. But recently it stopped working and she was up for three nights straight. Her doctor prescribed clonodine and it has been wonderful. She is no longer drowsy during the day and is doing better in school and falls asleep at night within 1/2 hour after taking the clonidine.”

Cloveerika · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 22, 2021

“I was prescribed clonidine after 7 years of taking seroquel 200mg. This was because I had built a large tolerance to seroquel and needed an extra kick to knock me out. I have always suffered from mania and insomnia, and could even go days without sleep. When I first started taking this, I finally started sleeping again. That never stopped, but what did start was every morning I was COMPLETELY hungover from both medications for about 6 hours a day. I would have to sleep for 11+ hours just to sleep off the hangover, and of course life often doesn’t let you do that. I am considering getting off of clonodine simply because it feels like I’m in a video game, blurred vision, and nothing feels real. I have no clue how I’m allowed to drive on both drugs. I’m so impaired. Not to mention the morning sickness. Every single morning I wake up with bouts of nausea and even sometimes vomiting. It is torturous, and I wish I could live normally again. Nothing feels real anymore.”

cheerbaby118 November 3, 2014

“I was prescribed clonodine due to delayed sleep phase disorder. At first it did absolutely nothing for me so they upped my dosage and now it works like a charm. Shuts your brain off and puts you right to bed. The only thing I dont like about it is that the next day I still feel like its fully in my system.”

RAVENWULF March 1, 2016

“This medication is actually a blood pressure medication, in order to stop taking it without huge side effects you have to wean off of it consult your doctor and they should understand that. Also if you have been taking it for a long time your body may now be dependant on it to regulate you Blood Pressure. When you forgot to take a pill at night you suffered the symptoms of high blood pressure. Also if you have normal Blood Pressure this can drop it dangerously low. If you stopped taking the med consult your doctor to see if you can titrate off of it and get a regular sleeping pill if you need.”

Just me · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 5, 2020

“I've been taking this for about a year. It helps me sleep, but my mouth stays dry all the time and it makes me dream weird stuff. Also, I ran out and missed a dose last night, and my blood pressure has been high all day and my hands shaking terribly.”

daysaytonmike · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 1, 2018

“Been on Clonidine for 2 years. Sometimes it takes 30 mins to activate, other times it take 5. I use it mostly for ADD and anxiety. I went 14 years without getting a proper nights sleep. I failed many classes because of it. Doctor gave me this, now I sleep like a champ. It is good at falling asleep not staying. Wayyyy better for you than melatonin (which is fake news anyway).”

Mom August 30, 2019

“My son who is living with autism was prescribed Clonidine for insomnia. At first it seemed to work, ( going to sleep before 3am was a success) but it seemed that within two hours of taking this medication he became obsessive and had compulsive thoughts. For example he would be at a park on the swings at 2 am because he was that fixated. We stopped him from the 0.2 clonidine daily and he is taking 5mg of Melatonin. He is sleeping much better, still groggy though and his obsessiveness has declined. Best of luck everyone.”

DP September 15, 2020

“My 7 year old ADHD diagnosed son was prescribed clonidine 0.1mg to help with sleep issues. He doesn't sleep well or pretty much ever for a long enough period of time. This medication was a nightmare the first night I gave him the prescribed .1mg he fell asleep within 30 minutes and then woke up and was very noticeably dizzy, drunk like walking, head rolling, eyes kinda rolling around, nauseous and crying because he felt weird. He could barely put a sentence together. He was in and out for hours that night he would fall right asleep then wakeup scared of the way he was feeling until well into the morning. The next night his pediatrician reccomended taking 1/2 a pill. The side effects weren't as drastic but it was still bad he woke up maybe 5 times throughout the night again dizzy and having a bad reaction. We called his pediatrician again and she basically said he was having some kind of adverse reaction and to stop meds”

Jax81 · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 17, 2019

“Was prescribed this drug for insomnia. Does absolutely nothing to help me sleep and I get so dizzy about 3hrs after I take this medication I cannot even get out of bed. This drug causes me to wake up soaked in sweat and extremely tired and dizzy throughout the day. When I wake up I have to sit on the ledge of my bed for at least ten minutes otherwise I will fall. This drug is terrible. Never take it.”

Darian · Taken for 10 years or more January 23, 2016

“I began taking Clonidine when I was 10 years old (now 20) because I had ADHD and the medication for that kept me up at night. I started on .1 mg & over the first year I was moved up to .3 mg & ever since then I've just been on the same .3 mg. It has always helped me sleep well & that was never a problem after I began taking it. Although, I quit taking the medication for ADHD many years ago but I am still dependent on the Clonidine. & it isn't bc I necessarily cannot sleep without it. I often don't have any problems sleeping without it but if I forget to take it one night I am extremely sick the next day; very dizzy and I just feel off the entire day.”

Kendra · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 2, 2020

“While clonidine made me fall asleep with ease, I started sleep walking and binge eating in my sleep on this medication with no prior history of either. Did so for months before fully realizing what was up. Did some research and found out that it can negatively impact REM sleep. Extremely scary medication and had a dr wean me off of it immediately. If I could rate it 0/10 I would. If you are considering this medication for sleep, think again!”

Bubba's momma · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 29, 2013

“My 5 year has been on clonodine since he was 2 1/2 to help him go to sleep. He's been diagnosed with Autism and I don't know what I would have done if his doctor wouldn't have put him on clonidine. When he first started on it he was on the 0.1mg but as he grew it wasn't working as well so now he's on the 0.2mg and it works wonderful and he sleeps through the night again. This is the only medication I have let the doctors put him on simply because I'm scared of the side effects of the medicines that the doctor uses to treat Autism.”

CodyLeesMom · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 11, 2014

“My son, (8 yrs old) takes this to be able to go to sleep at night. He is so hyper that without this medication, his brain won't slow down for him to rest. He is also ADHD, so he's constantly going. From the time he wakes up until he drops!! But it allows him to actually get some real rest. He will tell you if you ask him, that he feels better when he takes it.”

CheyandChris · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 4, 2015

“I began taking clonidine a few years back for hypertension and ADHD. For roughly 2 and a half years it worked well with one 0.1 MG a night. I have had insomnia since I was 6 and I still do at 17. Although this medicine helped to decrease my heart rate, the body will begin to develop immunity towards a medicine after extended use. After 2 and a half years, my dosage had to increase to one 0.2 MG a night. Be careful when increasing dosage, ever since I increased to 0.2 I began to feel extremely anxious, moody, indifferent after sleep, and fatigued. Also I have had awful vivid nightmares almost every night now. Good medicine overall, but extended use could pose problems.”

Kjbr May 26, 2016

“I've been on this medication for about a year. I personally like to take short breaks from the medication and switch to melatonin as I've found that on just none stressful situations such as holidays I prefer to take melatonin over clonidine because I'm not stressed or I don't have to wake up early. I suffer from EXTREME restless legs (my whole body) all day and night it never stops. And extreme insomnia. When I sleep with out medication it normally takes me about 3 hours to fall asleep and I wake up every 10-20 minutes and it takes me about 5-10 minutes to fall back asleep. So obviously I don't get much sleep. But with melatonin and clonidine it has helped manage majority of my night time problems (day time we haven't found a solution”