User Reviews for Clonidine

Also known as: Catapres, Catapres-TTS, Clonidine ER, Duraclon, Jenloga, Kapvay, Nexiclon XR

Learn more about Clonidine.

Clonidine Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated.

Reviews for Clonidine to treat Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated

"I absolutely have to say this drug is a miracle. I have severe insomnia and clonodine helps me greatly. I mean it completely knocks me out at night and I do not wake until the next morning. Which is just a wonderful thing for me and my long journey of struggles with insomnia."

adwarren (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2016

"I've been on this medication for about a year. I personally like to take short breaks from the medication and switch to melatonin as I've found that on just none stressful situations such as holidays I prefer to take melatonin over clonidine because I'm not stressed or I don't have to wake up early. I suffer from EXTREME restless legs (my whole body) all day and night it never stops. And extreme insomnia. When I sleep with out medication it normally takes me about 3 hours to fall asleep and I wake up every 10-20 minutes and it takes me about 5-10 minutes to fall back asleep. So obviously I don't get much sleep. But with melatonin and clonidine it has helped manage majority of my night time problems (day time we haven't found a solution"

Kjbr May 26, 2016

Catapres (clonidine): "My daughter takes it to help sleep she's 7 years old take concerta for adhd she's been on 2mg colonaden for 2 years she complained her stomach hurts is it the adhd meds or the calonaden"

Brunno133 April 22, 2016

"I have insomnia and I take Xanax for anxiety and I needed a different med so I wouldn't keep using my Xanax for sleep so I was given this and it works great I woke up In the middle of the night tho and fell back asleep in a few hours and it felt like I had a full nights rest and there wasn't a really high feeing when I woke up like ill someone's have with Xanax only a slight one before I went to sleep"

Big_joey89 March 21, 2016

"This medication is actually a blood pressure medication, in order to stop taking it without huge side effects you have to wean off of it consult your doctor and they should understand that. Also if you have been taking it for a long time your body may now be dependant on it to regulate you Blood Pressure. When you forgot to take a pill at night you suffered the symptoms of high blood pressure. Also if you have normal Blood Pressure this can drop it dangerously low. If you stopped taking the med consult your doctor to see if you can titrate off of it and get a regular sleeping pill if you need."

RAVENWULF March 1, 2016

"I had most of the listed side effects before I was put on Clonidine, 0.1 as needed. I have found them to work blissfully well as a sleep aid. My major chronic depression, muscle pain, arthritis, fibromyalgia, anxiety, PTSD, all remain in place. I've tried many meds for these conditions. Usually I end up scrapping them for ineffectiveness. Clonidine is one of the rare drugs that works properly."

jennie (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2016

"I began taking Clonidine when I was 10 years old (now 20) because I had ADHD and the medication for that kept me up at night. I started on .1 mg & over the first year I was moved up to .3 mg & ever since then I've just been on the same .3 mg. It has always helped me sleep well & that was never a problem after I began taking it. Although, I quit taking the medication for ADHD many years ago but I am still dependent on the Clonidine. & it isn't bc I necessarily cannot sleep without it. I often don't have any problems sleeping without it but if I forget to take it one night I am extremely sick the next day; very dizzy and I just feel off the entire day."

Darian (taken for 10 years or more) January 23, 2016

"I'm 18 years old and I've only recently been put on this medication as I don't sleep. I have BPD (borderline personality disorder) and I hear and see things and also have depression. I started with 10mg but I was still up all night. Laughing. Mucking around. But It was like I was stoned. My eyes were even red and puffy. I was drowsy and had dizzy moments. So Now I'm on 20mg as it was doing nothing. Again I've only recently been put on it so it might not have kicked in yet. But I'm still up all night. Get to sleep at about 5 in the morning and have a few hours nap. Medication works differently with different people. But my brother has been on it for ADHD. And it worked for him. So maybe I just have to give it some time. Just need to be patient."

jess_6669 (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2016

"Clonidine works great for me, but for me it is also really dangerous: it brings down my blood pressure to dangerously low levels, like 65/42 if I am not careful with the dosage. Then I drink quadruple-strong coffee and the blood pressure slowly recovers. I believe that using Clonidine absolutely requires having a blood-pressure meter at home and using it, especially if you wake up in the middle of the night. These pills are soft and so the dosage can be easily adjusted. I am aware of the delayed disturbances in blood pressure if Clonidine dosage is not steady, but for me that is secondary comparing to the potentially deadly pressure drops while asleep. In any case, using a blood pressure monitor is the must."

Jerrycz December 3, 2015

"Was fantastic for the first few months, but I've developed such a tolerance to it it does absolutely nothing now, no matter how high I increase the dosage."

tommo91 August 8, 2015

"My 3 year old was put on this to treat his insomnia triggered by Autism and ADHD. Without it he would get up at 9am and be up until 3 or 4am sometimes even as late as 5or 6 and still get up ready to go. This medication absolutely helps him get to sleep, .01 mg is what he was prescribed however the next day to be honest he was stoned the whole day or most of it, so the doctor had us cut that in half. Now the problem with that is that he gets his pill promptly at 9pm and at midnight he's back up. So he gets a second dose to get him to sleep until about 6:30-7ish before he wakes up ready to go. I'm hoping that we'll be able to solve him getting back up, I think the problem is his pill has to be crushed and so its not a timed release."

moon3goddess3 July 23, 2015

"I was prescribed clonidine .1mg to help with blood pressure and insomnia. Unfortunately for me it hasn't helped with neither. It worked the first week with helping me fall asleep but I still woke up about 2 hrs later in same situation. As far as blood pressure every reading still remains dangerously high."

superinsomniac July 20, 2015

"It works well with sleep since I have had insomnia for over 10 years. I tried ambient but I like clonidine better although some nights I wake up 4-5 hours later to have to take another dose."

momof2beautifulkids0307 June 16, 2015

"I began taking clonidine a few years back for hypertension and ADHD. For roughly 2 and a half years it worked well with one 0.1 MG a night. I have had insomnia since I was 6 and I still do at 17. Although this medicine helped to decrease my heart rate, the body will begin to develop immunity towards a medicine after extended use. After 2 and a half years, my dosage had to increase to one 0.2 MG a night. Be careful when increasing dosage, ever since I increased to 0.2 I began to feel extremely anxious, moody, indifferent after sleep, and fatigued. Also I have had awful vivid nightmares almost every night now. Good medicine overall, but extended use could pose problems."

CheyandChris (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2015

"I was prescribed clonodine due to delayed sleep phase disorder. At first it did absolutely nothing for me so they upped my dosage and now it works like a charm. Shuts your brain off and puts you right to bed. The only thing I dont like about it is that the next day I still feel like its fully in my system."

cheerbaby118 November 3, 2014

"The doctor put my nine year old on Unichem 0.1 mgs at night to sleep. He also has autism spectrum. I was worried about him taking this medicine at first but he is finally going to sleep and getting a good sleep without waking up. I wanted to know if anyone experienced any reactions I need to look for. Concerned mommy."

mommy#9 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2014

"My son, (8 yrs old) takes this to be able to go to sleep at night. He is so hyper that without this medication, his brain won't slow down for him to rest. He is also ADHD, so he's constantly going. From the time he wakes up until he drops!! But it allows him to actually get some real rest. He will tell you if you ask him, that he feels better when he takes it."

CodyLeesMom (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 11, 2014

Catapres (clonidine): "The first few days, 0.3mg did put me to sleep but I had to wake up and take another dose four hours later. The orthostatic hypotension was so bad, the next morning I felt like I was dragging and fatigued much easier. Working out was impossible!"

Chic chick (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2013

"I have an anxiety disorder called TTM. Sometimes classified as an impulse disorder or OCD. When I'm engaged in TTM behavior at night it sometimes drives me all night. The clonidine is great at slowing me down in about 45 minutes and letting me drift off to sleep."

doreen123 February 22, 2013

"My 5 year has been on clonodine since he was 2 1/2 to help him go to sleep. He's been diagnosed with Autism and I don't know what I would have done if his doctor wouldn't have put him on clonidine. When he first started on it he was on the 0.1mg but as he grew it wasn't working as well so now he's on the 0.2mg and it works wonderful and he sleeps through the night again. This is the only medication I have let the doctors put him on simply because I'm scared of the side effects of the medicines that the doctor uses to treat Autism."

Bubba's momma (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 29, 2013

"I have been taking this medication for a few years now. It has helped somewhat with my insomnia. It's probably time to increase the dosage."

JenLynn1013 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 12, 2012

"I was put on this medication after I was injured in an IED blast in Afghanistan. I have been using it for almost a year now and I could not be happier with its results. It helps me fall asleep, but does not make me feel groggy even I need to wake up in the middle of the night. It also helps me to avoid nightmares and other anxiety related symptoms. If you want a sleep aid that does not have the side effects of others like Lunesta or Ambien I would strongly recommend talking to your doctor about clonidine."

Anonymous February 15, 2012

"This medicine has been wonderful. My 7 year old daughter had insomnia from the medicine for ADHD. It was awful, she couldn't get to sleep and was having difficulty in school. I wasn't thrilled about giving her more medicine but Clonidine has helped her so much."

Anonymous April 19, 2009

"This drug was given to my son as part of a treatment for ADHD and ODD. He was given this to help him sleep at night to counteract effects his ADHD medicines had; which is kept him awake. This drug for him was good at helping him fall asleep, but didn't keep him asleep but then again everyone is different."

Anonymous January 8, 2009

"My 5 year old son is taking clonidine for insomnia and I can see a difference in him. My son is very hyperactive and has some anger issues and I have noticed he is a lot calmer and seems to focus better on the tasks he is doing. This might be the answer to my prayers."

Anonymous August 25, 2008