User Reviews for Ciprofloxacin

Also known as: Cipro, Cipro Cystitis Pack, Cipro I.V., Cipro XR, Proquin XR

Learn more about Ciprofloxacin.

Crohn's Disease 3 reviews 69 medications

Prostatitis 32 reviews 48 medications

4.3
Summary of Ciprofloxacin reviews 445 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Ciprofloxacin

Proquin XR (ciprofloxacin) for Bacterial Infection: "I was prescribed Elequin (also known as Proquin and Levaquin). They belong to a group of antibiotics called Fluoroquinolones. From day one of taking this medication, I started having severe pain in my legs, back and abdomen. I was on this antibiotic for seven days, twice a day. It's been months since I finished that course of antibiotics and I have multiple torn tendons, compressed urinary bladder, severe nerve damage, daily digestive issues, abdominal pain and severe anxiety. It was one of the worst decisions I have ever made in my life to follow that gynecologist instructions and take this medication. I've made it a priority of mine to warn others of the dangers involved in taking these very harmful and toxic antibiotic."

LiveLoveLaugh0130 (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Prostatitis: "Well where can I begin. I had been prescribed cipro for a suspected prostate infection for 2 weeks. The side effects were hell. After the first week I suffered from severe anxiety, bad bloating and not going to the washroom enough. Keep in mind I have anxiety problems to begin with and this drug only made it worse. I kept thinking that I was dying and something was seriously wrong with me. I'm a 26 year old healthy male who is a bit of a fitness buff. I laid off the gym for the entire 2 weeks due to depression and anxiety. Probably a good thing though. On the last couple days of my antibiotics that's when I suffered from very bad joint pain. They were very sensitive especially in my left Achilles heel. I ended up tossing The last pill."

Mattypatty May 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Prostatitis: "This will be my 2nd experience with cipro first was for a injection infection (7 day prescription vs prostatitis 6 weeks). My infection was considered fairly serious so I think I will continue to see improvement until week 3. Doctors generally tone down the sides handing this to you, but will admit sides "yea you'll have that" when u get them. I warn the side effects can be terrible. Everyone reacts a bit different. I know anytime I take this by day 4's dose I begin to have soft stool that burns the anus and causes skin bleeding. Excessive wiping is bad as it only irritates - try some petroleum to the area. Also this antibiotic is really bad on healthy gut bacteria. Recommend yogurt and probiotic. Keep the 2 hour calcium rule in mind and drink crazy amounts of water."

Jeff10237 May 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Well, I was stupid enough to give cipro a chance to get into my system. 5-10 mins after taking a 500mg tablet of cipro, I started running to the bathroom because my eyes are so watery, til it went red, and then became swollen, a few moments I started sneezing non-stop!!!! And then my nose got clogged, I was able to find rashes in my skin, and most, it was very difficult breathe!! Had my boyfriend to take me to the hospital. My advice would be a big no no. Don't take cipro"

Itsmedlpe May 15, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "Would never take this drug again as I have lost the hearing in my "good" ear after the 3rd dose. Will I recover my hearing as at the moment my consultant now classes me as profoundly deaf."

Bobthebooter May 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Kidney Infections: "I was prescribed this medication for a kidney infection. On the third day I developed breathing problems similar to asthma, rapid heart beat, a burning sensation in my chest, and found sleep to be very difficult."

Dm3// May 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "My 3rd day on cipro without hardly any effect. I'm in pain 24/7 like a period. Ready to consult a doctor again. I was in the ER the 6th of May. Still lots of pain. Plus I have stomach issues. No appetite. My entire abdominal area hurts. Nausea."

JRose63 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "My mental calm has been destroyed. After 30 years of being instantly able to access an alpha state of mind, I can no longer get there at all. In just 10 days this medication has done unbelievable harm to me. It has taken my life away. Although I stopped taking it two days ago, it still has my mind in its tormenting grip. Do not use this drug unless you will die without it."

Boboji May 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diverticulitis: "I have been getting UTI's for years before I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis but my doctor gave me Cipro for the UTI's. As soon as I started taking this drug I started getting hip pain so bad I couldn't even walk to the bathroom. I went to Physical therapy, Aquatic Therapy, Massage Therapy and nothing helped. I finally put two and two together that every time I took Cipro this happened. When I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis I was given intravenous Cipro and Flagyl and although it helped the pain and swollen stomach by the 3rd day the hip pain was getting really bad again. My doctor says Cipro would not cause this but everybody in my Diverticulitis support group has experience the same thing. My foot was even super painful."

Squadcar May 7, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Bladder Infection: "Burning sensation when I pee meant a trip to the Dr. The doctor prescribed Cipro 500mg twice daily for one week. Cleared up the problem quickly."

Anon9696 (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Prostatitis: "When my urologist recommended Cipro to combat my prostatitis (500mg 2x per day for 6 weeks!) I wanted to make sure long-term use was OK. So I went online....and it looked really scary! People totally slamming the drug. But I went for it anyway. Seems to have done the job I needed it to do and there are ZERO side effects. I mean ZERO. People talk about vomiting - I take the pill with or without food and not even a tiny bit of nausea. No fatigue, no aching or numbness, no appearance of tendon issues....nothing. Maybe it's just me and I know not everybody is the same but worked for me. The only reason I gave a 9 and not a 10 is because I still have a couple of days to go before I am done with the 6 week course."

Chris M C (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "FIRST day neck started itching almost right away later few days skin was red and burned like a bad sunburn became anxious and angry emotions , would not recommend should be banned forever."

HAROLD555555555 April 26, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed cipro after the first antibiotic didn't completely work for a UTI. STAY AWAY FROM THIS DRUG!!!! POISON PLEASE GOOGLE what has happened to people who have taken this horrible drug that the FDA finally gave it a black box warning. I have pain in my hips, shoulders and arms b/c of this drug"

suzi be gone April 24, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "Have an acute UTI which comes on very very quickly, so have to go to A & E, for intravenous anti biotics. This is the 3rd infection in 3 months but the hospital keep prescribing Ciprofloxacin 500 mgs, fine for a short while, but the infection starts again, with lots of blood in my urine. I experience dizziness, nausea and some pain. This time, along with the Cipro, I've been prescribed Naproxen. Have an appointment with a urologist soon and hoping he will prescribe something different and that works. My life is on hold at the moment and totally fed up"

Hovis2 April 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Never have I had such a bad reaction to a antibiotic . Blisters on my feet toes both top and bottom making it impossible to wear shoes hard to walk. and a few in other places. Burning sharp pains in abdomen region. Problems with all my tendons in my feet knees shoulders making it impossible to walk. Took over a month to be almost over this. I am still feeling effects from it. And pls read on this med. It says that you can use it from one manufacturer nothing happens but each is different one manufacturer can hurt you while others do not. BEWARE!!!!!!"

Cajun Trucker (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Kidney Infections: "Took Cipro for a month and it cleared up a very major kidney cyst infection for me. I was extremely unwell and in hospital. I am 50 and a regular walker. I found all symptoms minor and manageable until week 4 when I did develop some extra aches and pains, and felt a general malaise and unwellness. I even felt a bit depressed on the last day of taking it. Stopped Cipro yesterday and have woken up feeling like my old self. I would take it again though because it was so effective at clearing up my infection."

MrsMiller April 15, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "Bladder / body infection. Groin swelling and abdominal pain. Prescribed two weeks dosage which cleared symptoms. Ok for one after. Then infection came back. This time same symptoms but now spread to kidney pain also causing lower back pain Re-prescribed further dosage, this time for 4 weeks. Further checks to be done, i.e. Scan & blood test booked. Meanwhile within two weeks, all symptoms now gone again 100%. But carrying on to complete dosage for further two weeks. Final diagnosis likely cause originated from UTI -Urinary tract Infection. I consider this medicine to be suitable but deems to be only of a Mild strength. There were No side effects. And I am generally always very fit never getting any illness's apart from common colds."

Man47 April 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "End result of two C-sections and a hysterectomy is susceptibility to bladder infections after drinking too much coffee, caffeine or after sex. So I've tried many different remedies, one of which is taking Cipro. The antibiotic works to clear the infection BUT, the horrible yeast infections are unfathomable! I'd rather take more of another antibiotic than deal with the yeast infection which lingers for weeks. Now I have to get an anti fungal to clear up the itching, burning and discharge associated with taking the Cipro. Ugh!"

Tired of side effect April 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Bacterial Infection: "I was diagnosed with an abdominal infection after stool testing. I took ONE pill and ended up in the ER. Within minutes of swallowing Cipro, my lips started to swell—then my eyes and whole face followed. My throat started getting scratchy so I went to the ER because I was scared my throat would swell to the point that I couldn't breathe. After this incident, I thoroughly researched Cipro and along with other drugs in its class—I will never take any of them. They are so scary. Yes, it's true that any drug can cause harm, but these drugs carry a much greater risk. Much greater."

CP1.2 (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "hey guys, honestly, this antibiotic isn't bad at all. I understand that some people react to drugs differently but if you ignored your symptoms long enough for your tendons to randomly tear you're just dumb. Talk to your doctor if things don't feel right. I came on here when I was prescribed Cipro and was TERRIFIED of the reviews. I have had no symptoms taking this for a week and i took it with lots of food and water and stayed hydrated. This antibiotic got rid of my UTI and Sinus infection in a day. If you aren't healthy, are taking other medications, smoke, have preexisting conditions, or cant handle feeling slightly nauseous from medicine then yeah don't take it. Otherwise it did wonders for me."

CiproHead123 (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Crohn's Disease: "OMG! I was given this for colitis and had the worst side effects ever! Initially, I just had bad headaches, dizziness and vomiting. Doctor prescribed anti- nausea medication for nausea and said to take Tylenol. By day 4 of a 10 course I am having crazy thoughts, nightmares and even hallucinated a super scary being . Scared my husband and child screaming my lungs out in terror. Off the scale anxiety, agitation and hysterical crying which caused me to melt down at my job of 30 years! This has been a complete nightmare. The side effects are heinous and can have long term consequences. For your sake and sanity stay far far away from this dangerous drug! I took it for colitis and still have pain so not sure if it even helped."

Anonymous April 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Took this medication within the first 5 minutes I had an allergic reaction my body started itching and my face swell up. I called 911 and they gave me Benadryl by means of a IV I felt like I was going to pass out so they rush me to the hospital. I suggest you be very careful when taking this medication."

123mom (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Kidney Infections: "I have been taking these tablets since late Tuesday, I'm on a 500mg 10 day cycle for chronic kidney infection. The hospital sent me away with the tablets and advised if I was no better within 48 hours I was to go straight to A&E. I have taken 4 tablets now, I was feeling sick and vomiting before I started to take these tablets so I can't blame that now the tablet. I can honestly say the only problems I am having with this tablet is the dreams, they are so awful, vivid and terrifying. It's hard to try and get back to sleep when you know what your gonna face on the other side but all I want to do is sleep and rest. Overall I genuinely think the tablets is doing its job, I shall let you know if I end up in hospital this evening."

1A9H9B7 April 6, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was lucky enough to get most of the side effects from this drug. For the first two weeks, I lost my ability to walk. My entire body went numb (including my face), I had crippling anxiety, insane nightmares, and all of my major tendons were damaged. I had so much fatigue that I slept 18hrs a day. Thankfully, I was only sick for four months, but I lost my job and had to move back in with my parents. Now, I am okay. 0/10 would recommend. Even if you don't get a reaction the first time you take it, it is NOT WORTH TAKING. My friend's achilles heels ruptured after her fifteenth round having no problems before that. Take another antibiotic or eat some garlic. I had $3000 in med bills"

MIVP (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm a 25 year old woman and I was prescribed cipro for a UTI. I got 250mg twice daily for three days. I got this yesterday and today I've taken three pills in total. I have a horrid fear of vomiting, I become suicidal when I think I'm going to be sick. So I'm very particular and paranoid about my antibiotics. I usually respond well to antibiotics but not this! I didn't vomit, thank goodness but three pills in and I'm lightheaded, light sensitive, bloated like no other, abdominal pain and kinda nauseous, itchy and muscle pain. Not to mention my anxiety is sky high! I'm writing this before my current panic attack makes me unable to write. Hope these side effects leave and don't stay! Very paranoid!"

Spooks April 5, 2017