User Reviews for Ciprofloxacin

Also known as: Cipro, Cipro Cystitis Pack, Cipro I.V., Cipro XR, Proquin XR

Learn more about Ciprofloxacin.

Crohn's Disease 2 reviews 66 medications

4.3
Epididymitis, Sexually Transmitted 1 reviews 32 medications

Summary of Ciprofloxacin reviews 351 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Ciprofloxacin

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This medicine takes away your infection within a couple of days. I would stay away from caffeine if you are known to have anxiety. Muscle aches are not there like some of these scary reviews... I am very sensitive to a lot of medicine, this one works!! The only side effect is if you go in sun you will get rash.... Also, my jaw feels a little stiff. Other than a few side effects, I'd rather get rid of an infection that could lead to worse!"

Sierradbrownn August 27, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Bacterial Infection: "The severe side effect after only 2nd pill of cramps in calves, legs and shoulders were not worth the medications use. Very scary. No one told me the damage could be permanent, not dr or pharmacy- this should be advised up front. Will never use again."

Moose1999 August 24, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Neuropathy and about 25 different side effects dealing with neuropathy that lasted over 2 years. Stay away from this drug"

Amber0411 (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "It is good for UTI but it's not good for the body at all!! the second day I started having muscle problems, sleeping problems, anxiety..."

Xime3778 August 23, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Took Cipro for a suspected UTI and within 3 days my legs were in terrible pain. I now suffer from permanent nerve and tendon damage over 3 years later. I'm in my thirties. I wouldn't take this again if you paid me. My life has been ruined."

EPA (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Unfortunately I get UTI's more often than I should. I have taken a 10 day prescription of Cipro, 500mg every 12 hours for a bad UTI, and I couldn't get past 5 days of it. I was just prescribed Cipro, one 500mg pill (because my doctor believed that this medications side effects were too common and powerful). Within 24 hours, my UTI symptoms cleared up BUT, in the past two nights, I have barely slept. I have bad stomach cramping and diarrhea. And headaches. Not fun to say the least. It will do a good job knocking out the infection, but the side effects are just crappy. I also learned that with this medication, some times less is more."

Cipro for a UTI August 18, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "While Cipro may clear up my UTI it triggered my seizure potential and lowered my seizure threshold. It also can interfere with seizure meds which isn't cool for me as it can cause seizures in people with previous head trauma too. Lastly, if also taken with NSAIDS like ibuprofen or aspirin it can raise risk. Use extreme caution if have history of seizures!!!!"

Cipro (the good n bad) August 16, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "58 year old male. Self-diagnosed Epiglottitis via google... all the classic symptoms (headache, bodyache, fever, inflamed upper throat -> actually area of epiglottis, painful swallowing, some difficulty breathing when trying to sleep)... and when I saw on a Saturday - that it could possibly be fatal (asphyxiation)... but treatable with antibiotics, I reached for the 1st antibiotic I saw listed for the condition (although do not have that reference handy.) Cipro 500 mg, 2xday, 5 day course (expired 5 years ago, 2011) 12 hrs (after 1st dose) - fever gone 18 hrs - headache / body ache gone 24 hrs - epiglottis still inflamed, but less-so? pain swallowing 36 hrs - epiglottis less inflamed? less pain swallowing? 48 hrs - epiglottitis resolved!!!"

Balmy (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I had a UTI and was prescribed cipro within 12 hours I had a massive rash with welts and itching. My hands feet and face swelled. I was absolutely miserable. Benadryl helped. I will stay as far away from this drug as possible."

Jopeful August 14, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Not a fan. Went to urgent care for a particularly painful UTI and was prescribed cipro and immediately took the first dose. The plus side is it started working almost immediately. 24 hours later and I'm about 90% better already. However after taking the second pill I developed some slight nausea and then several hours later noticed some muscle pain in my calves and behind my knees and it has now spread to my shoulders and wrists. After reading that cipro can cause serious and permanent damage I quit using it immediately and asked to be switched to a different antibiotic. Not worth it!"

Samalam1216 August 13, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Dr. Prescribed cipro so I took it twice a day for 3 days for a UTI- turns out I didn't have. On day 3, my children called an ambulance because I passed out and had trouble walking for several months afterwards. Ive been to several specialists trying to find a solution to my cipro induced weakness in my legs. I can't even think straight! This drug ruined me. I wish I never went to the dr that day. This has taken a heavy toll on my family and career. :("

anonymous mom of 4 August 11, 2016

For Kidney Infections: "I was prescribed cipro as a precaution do to a kidney blockage I have. I can't say how effective it is, because I dont have an infection. I just wanted to comment on side effects. I did not have any side effects at all that I'm aware of. I'm extremely sensitive to everything! This hasn't seemed to bother me at all. Then again, I'm only on a 5 day treatment plan."

VKB (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

For Prostatitis: "im 27, i got prostaties and took cipro 1 month and all symptoms gone then they back, took Ofloxacin 20 days without any improvment, started cipro again and now is 25th day and nothing happens, I hope I will get better soon."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2016

For Prostatitis: "Put on 30 days Cipro 1000mg/day for suspected prostatitis based on pain during rectal exam, all other symptoms had gone away by the time I saw urologist. Day5 I took the pill my feet and ankles swelled up and it was very difficult to drive my car or climb stairs. A few days later, one of my ankles is still tight and the foot on that side tingles when walking around. Hopefully these side effects will go away. Prior to starting I did have pain in my left abdomen and a heavy feeling in my left testicle, and these seemed to go away 3 or 4 days into the treatment, so I cant say the medicine didn't work at all. I am left hoping this tendon pain in my feet will subside and I can return to usual activity. Was told to never take Cipro again."

AJ6143 (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I got a UTI while I'm holiday in Spain. I was given ciprofloxacin to take for seven days. It took four days before I experienced any relief. Even at that I still could feel the UTI symptoms. I had a pounding headache for the first 3 days of taking it but I didn't care if it was going to help me with the pain of my UTI. The medication takes a long time to start working and only for the painkillers the doctor also prescribed I wouldn't have had any relief. It's seems very weak. When you have a UTI you need the medicine to start working hard right away because the pain and discomfort is so horrendous!! Sometimes I wonder do doctors really understand the pain, discomfort and stress a UTI or bladder infection can cause."

UTI sufferer (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Every time i get a UTI they put me on Bactrim and it doesn't help at all. Then they will put me on Cipro and it gets the job done. So now I tell the doctor I want Cipro for a UTI."

Muddygirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 3, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Am currently taking Cipro to deal with a UTI. Had one about a month ago, took Cipro, it seemed to go away, but now it's back with a vengeance. But I'm taking it with great reluctance. It use to be my ENT's go-to drug for sinus infections, which I would typically get twice a year (allergy induced). Then, about 4 years after first taking the drug, I woke up one morning and my right foot totally collapsed due to tendon rupture. Zero arch. At the time (1990) there weren't any tendon warnings with the drug and no one could explain how tendons could rupture overnight. Now my podiatrist attributes the event to the Cipro. I have to wear a Richie brace on that foot/ankle."

RetiredinMaine August 3, 2016

For Prostatitis: "Horrible. Hamstring and calf pain started two days after beginning Cipro."

marathon runner August 1, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I am on Ciprofloxacin for 3 days along with Pyridium for a UTI. I have felt nauseous, heady, tired and have had increased anxiety since starting these Meds. Today I had dry heaves, nausea, drained feeling and a full blown panic attack. Will be calling my Dr. Tomorrow for a possible replacement. Going on vacaction on Thursday and don't want any of these side effects. UTI symptoms better but don't think it is cleared up fully. Scared."

Momdonna July 31, 2016

For Kidney Infections: "I was prescribed cipro for my bad kidney infection about 2 days ago so I am still currently taking this drug. The bad part for me is the SIDE EFFECTS. Oh my! My dreams have been soo vivid that I hate sleeping. Like I literally start dreaming before Im even asleep I was starting to think I was loosing my mind! I feel like im in a cloud or something :-( I dont think i can take it!"

Chloe Phoenix July 31, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Diverticulitis: "Cipro was horrible. I have never had a reaction to an antibiotic before. Mentally disturbed head. It was very strange and made me panicky. Broke out in a rash on forearms and itchy tight chest. Read how awful this drug is. Thank goodness my reaction happened after a few doses and not a week or two. Flouriquinolones are poison for me. I never would have thought an antibiotic could be so harmful."

Sbrb (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have SLE, and I tend to contract UTI's pretty easily. Usually they'll give me Keflex or Flagyl, both of which don't seem to cut it. My current primary started prescribing it about a year and a half ago, and now I specifically ask for it. I had an AWFUL UTI for over a week, finally got to ER today, within a few hours, the worst of the symptoms were residing.... the burning, constant urge, abdominal and lower back pain/pressure. Honestly, I would give it 10 stars, but relief often comes at a price, although for me, they're temporary side effects - bad migraines, yeast infections, worsened photo-sensitivity, drowsiness. All medications have potential side effects. Communicate with your doctor & make sure it's right for YOU."

KittyMowMow July 25, 2016

For Prostatitis: "I'm 20 and I had problems urinating for days and went to the hospital for back and abdominal pain as well but they couldn't find anything wrong. After going through 2 more doctors one suggested quickly looking at my prostate and I had acute prostitis. Took cipro that night and have never felt worse. Within 2 hours I couldn't eat, everything I did made me want to throw up, and all I could do was lie in my bed in a ball. Went to the doctor again and he prescribed Bactrium since it's easier on nausea. The nausea has gone down a little but cipro stays in your system for 48 hours so still feel awful, will never be able to take it again."

Kyle1011 July 21, 2016

For Diverticulitis: "I went to the doctor for simple gas pains. bladder was checked and bowels were checked. No blood was found. Was sent for an immediate bloodtest which showed signs of infection. was prescribed cipro and flagyl and was sent for barium for ct scan of the abdomen the next morning. The barium produced severe diarrhea but ct showed acute inflammation of the colon. I took the cipro and flagyl and was nauseated and had diarrhea for 7 days. I finished the flagyl but had 3 more days of cipro to go. On the 8th day the nausea and weakness was so bad along with back pain and joint pain. I couldn't take it any more, so I quit the cipro 2 days early. 24 hours later I resumed my multivitamins and simvistatin and had a little diarrhea but has stopped now."

starrynites (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Bladder Infection: "I took Cipro for only three days for a bladder infection. I was left with ankle/tendon pain and diahrrea for three months. I had no clue what was happening to me. Turns out lots have had the same reaction to this class of antibiotic."

Anonymous July 14, 2016