User Reviews for Ciprofloxacin

Surgical Prophylaxis

1 review 60 medications
Summary of Ciprofloxacin reviews 5.7 550 reviews

Reviews for Ciprofloxacin

For Intraabdominal Infection: "I took one 500 mg pill and after 2 hours had tingling and stabbing pain in my Achilles tendon, pain down my shin and into my foot. I immediately took magnesium to try to stop the effectiveness of the meds. Was prescribed this with metronidazole because of GI issues but lab results haven't even come back. This should only be given as a last ditch effort."

Ladybug (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2018

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Diverticulitis: "This works, but the side effects are horrible. Nausea, vomiting, muscle pain, right-side neck and shoulder pain and stiffness, mental fog and general malaise. This medication has "black box" warnings I was never told, what a mess. Quitting after 5 days and hoping for the best. Nasty stuff! If there is an alternative, they should not even prescribe this stuff!"

Yazmine June 18, 2018

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Bladder Infection: "Unfortunately I can no longer take this drug. This has been my go too for years and was always able to “fix me”. I suffer from interstitial cystitis, chronic kidney infections and chronic UTI’s. After 11 days on 500mg 2x a day I found myself in the ER, looks as if the bacteria I have is now resistant to this medication. Please be careful when taking this I know how great it can work but your body can also become rejecting of it as well. It has given me many side affects at times and other times none at all. Best of luck to my fellow sufferers."

Renee June 17, 2018

For Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed Cipro for a UTI when my lab test indicated I had a bacteria that was resistant to the more commonly prescribed meds. So I had a three day course, at 250mg twice a day. It worked perfectly and I had no side effects other than a little bit of drowsiness in the morning on day two. That is it. I'm done with the pills as of last week and I feel great. I am 64 and in good health, and take no other meds."

Lisa (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2018

Cipro XR (ciprofloxacin) for Prostatitis: "I had prostate infection and was prescribed Cipro XR for ten days. The infection cleared but after taking the medication I lost all sense of smell. I finished the course of antibiotics the second week in November 2017. I was and was told the anosmia (lack of smell) is temporary and my sense of smell would return but it is now Mid May 2018 and I still have no smell and cannot taste any food that I eat. "

chucky (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2018

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Bacterial Infection: "2017 FDA Black Box warning issued for Cipro and other fluoroquinolones for severe permanent tendon damage that can take months to show up! Cipro should ONLY be prescribed as a last resort drug but a lot of doctors are unaware! Beware! Read the professional prescribing info on this website for the black box warnings."

Torn tendons (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2018

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Salmonella Gastroenteritis: "FDA warns that Cipro should ONLY be taken as a last resort antibiotic for acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, acute uncomplicated cystitis, acute sinusitis and only if patients know the high risk of permanent injury from tendon ruptures, especially of the Achilles heel or thumb tendons! Read the FDA advisory (black box warning under professional info for cipro and other fluoroquinolones. You have to be careful because unaware doctors prescribe them for lots of other reasons as a first course antibiotic. Visit the FDA website and check it out! Luckily, I knew of the high danger of Cipro when an ER doc prescribed Cipro for salmonella and I asked him for another antibiotic. "

Catherine (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2018

For Diverticulitis: "I have taken this drug for years without much thought. Until 2 weeks after my latest round. WIthin 1 week, I completely dissected the RIGHT ACHILLES while walking. Two days after the surgery to repair it, I tore the LEFT ACHILLES tendon by standing up, again with no apparent damage to any other tendon or ligament. Likely not a coincidence. As I investigate my own past RX, I have taken this antibiotic MANY times and had symptoms but never related the two together and the side effects would just go away."

Jack R. (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2018

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This is my 10th day taking 500mg Cipro every day for a UTI. I'm laying in bed with severe pain in my lower stomach. I have noticed side effects ie lethargic, leg pain etc. I still feel like I have to urinate even though I just did. I'm still having the usual symptoms of pressure, pain, and frequency... In fact it feels worse. I have a call into my doctor, but wanted to let it run its course."

G May 3, 2018

For Bladder Infection: "OMGoodness... I thought I was dead. I am still going through the side effects as we speak. I don't recommend anyone to use this antibiotic. I am still kind of nervous because I just stop taking the meds a little over 24 hrs ago. Trying to drink as much water as I can to flush it out of my system quickly as possible. No medication has every made me feel this way out of all of my 39 years."

Alexis May 3, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "I decided to try Cipro for UTI (urinary tract infection). Knowing all of the side effects, I got myself the 'FQ toxicity pack' (Q10, magnesium, vit E, probiotics) first. Had no coffee or advil for several days in advance. I took 1 500 mg pill, with pepto bismol, after dipping it into olive oil (sad experience with septra). Within an hour, my blood pressure dropped to 99/75, stomach started to go bubbly, then I got dizzy, relaxed and sleepy. This kind of how I feel on Xanax. Next, I started to have shooting burning pains in my both arms, and right arm felt irritated when I lightly touched it. Some weakness and alienation in arms and legs. Strong rapid heart beat later that night. I thought it all was heading to neuropathy and decided to stop there. But!!! The symptoms were somewhat gone even after 1 pill! So, it is a great potent drug, just not for me, unfortunately:("

Tarragon83 (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2018

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Surgical Prophylaxis: "I was prescribed this after having a stent placed in my ureter due to kidney stones. Took as directed, one 500mg tab twice/day for 14 days. By day 3, I could barely tolerate the nausea, bloating, and headaches, but continued to take as prescribed. By day 5, after taking 2nd dose for that day, I started getting a pounding, accelerated heart rate followed by anxiety. Called my urologist office, doctor told me to stop taking the cipro immediately, so now its on my allergy list."

Net (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2018

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm 67 & have a sulfameth resistant UTI so my Doc next put me on cipro and after 5 days all symptoms have disappeared. I was very worried about the reported side effects but aside from some joint pain, I've had no problem. I will be completing my 10 day run of this drug to hopefully knock this infection out for good!"

Dana (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2018

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Diverticulitis: "I took it twice, once in August and again in December. Since this drug is so strong it stays in your body for a long time. I ended up with Kidney Failure and ended up Hospitalized! Very scary, I was close to going on dialysis. Never, ever taking this drug again!"

Lmp (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2018

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Prostatitis: "I've been on it 1000mg day for 21 days, have nausea, dizziness but is working on taking away pain and pressure. I have 10 more days to go."

joe April 22, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I had intercourse with my boyfriend on a Saturday. On Sunday around 7:30 I started feeling like I was getting a UTI (minor burning, bladder pain, etc) so I started drinking a lot of water to flush it out like I normally would. Within two hours my urine had blood in it and I was almost crying from the pain, so I went to the urgent care where they diagnosed cystitis. They gave me 500mg Cipro, a nine day prescription. I see a lot of people who get nauseous from it and I did too at first, but when they say to make sure you eat first and then drink a lot of water, they're not kidding. It helps. My main side effect has been tiredness and a little bit of muscle/joint pain."

LSmith17 (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2018

For Bronchitis: "This antibioctic destroyed my life. I was given it at 71 years of age, with cortizone injections at the same time, both contraindicated for my age. Side effects were, tendonopathy, ruptured tendon, chronic fatigue, balance gone, heart palpitations, peripheral neuropathy, and pain every day for three years to date. All this for a bout of bronchitis. I was wheelchair bound for two months. I have spent over £10, 000 trying to cure myself because there is no help from the medical profession. Doctors say we sufferers are rare. What's rare is Doctors connecting the dots as symptoms can appear weeks later after taking a fluroquinolone. Or you may not re act until it's taken a few times as it's cumulative. It's like playing Russian Roulette."

Hola hola (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "I am at this point having no issues after 3 days taking 750mg twice a day for a blood infection. Reading the reviews is scary. What upsets me the most is when I left the hospital absolutely no one warned me of the possible side effects of this drug. I will update if I start having issues."

Bubba (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2018

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I took 1 Cipro 2 hours later so much pain in my stomach... I thought I would have had to go to the ER"

Stomackaxke April 11, 2018

For Prostatitis: "2 years prostatitis unknowingly, diagnosed a year ago. I had no response to treatment I've tried all things from antibiotics, include taking cipro 500 mg twice a day, for about three week. Tried herbal medicine diuretic & anti-inflammatory pill for more than one month, symptoms of Frequent urination, testicular and back pain have been improved, since it has been a long time condition, doc told me need another several months to cure it."

Jack55 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2018

For Sinusitis: "The only antibiotic that I think has completely gotten rid of my sinus infection! Finished 7 day course of two other antibiotics before being prescribed with this one. By the second dose the pain had significantly decreased. Side effects that I experienced: stomach ache (only on first 2 days), metallic taste in mouth (tolerable) and hunger pangs."

Random (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have never experienced negative side effects from any medication I was taking till now. Day 3 and my fever is down but urinating is still a struggle. Every muscle, tendon and bone in my body is in immense pain. I haven't been able to eat or sleep during this time due to the massive stomach cramps and being stuck at the verge of vomiting. I can honestly say I would never use this or let someone in my family use it. It feels like my body is dying. I will be contacting my doctor today."

Mr. Adams (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I've been taking ciprofloxacin for UTI. It worked but ever since I started taking I've felt like puking for 3 hours after or more. On day 3 I did puke."

Liz (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This medication makes my blood pressure drop, I have blurry vision and dizziness within about an hour of taking it."

Jazzy (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2018

For Bladder Infection: "I’ve had a UTI for the past two weeks now. I was first prescribed macrobid, which didn’t completely get rid of my UTI as I still have urgency and frequency to urinate. I was then prescribed cipro. Didn’t work at all. I have now been prescribed keflex. Fingers crossed."

Leila (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2018