User Reviews for Ciprofloxacin

Also known as: Cipro, Cipro Cystitis Pack, Cipro I.V., Cipro XR, Proquin XR

Learn more about Ciprofloxacin.

Crohn's Disease 2 reviews 68 medications

4.3
Epididymitis, Sexually Transmitted 1 reviews 33 medications

Summary of Ciprofloxacin reviews 360 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Ciprofloxacin

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Began taking this medicine when I was in pain for a strong UTI. This medicine has made me feel the worst I've ever felt in my life. Constantly throwing up, extremely high fever (104), dizzy, confused, blurred vision, chills, insomnia, and the most painful back, ribs, neck, and leg pain. As well, it makes you urinate less frequently and that put together with not being able to hold down water, how is this supposed to make me "better"? I have never been one who is sensitive to medication but due to the amount of dehydration and pain I've been caused I'm currently sitting in a hospital hooked up to an IV. I wouldn't suggest this medication to anyone, ever."

12katherin21 September 26, 2016

For Salmonella Gastroenteritis: "I had antibiotics before this but had infection so doc gave me this after speaking to the hospital please Stay away from this !!! I had worse experience ever , I was taking 2 a day on my 4th day it was hell I took one in the morning about 1pm ish I had this bad pain above my belly button like camps . Kept running to the loo on the second run I broke up in sweat , light headed , sickly feeling I felt like it was over for me . My mother had wet some cold towels and wrap me up to cool me down, I had pins and needles in my arms legs .I started cooling down And then the chills came On still running to loo and got to the point that I had take Imodium tablets to stop this which worked . Im still feeling cold and light headed ."

Sun26 September 25, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Cipro works well for me without incurring any noticeable negative side effects. Strangely though, I get many of the terrible side effects described by some here when taking levofloxacin - the insomnia, the crippling panic attacks, etc. It just goes to show, I suppose, how differently these meds affect different individuals."

her der September 22, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have ibs and many antibiotics cause terrible bowel issues like bloating and runs. I am also in a wheelchair - which makes it difficult to manage. in my recent memory I think cipro is my best tolerated antibio so far. I get uti 2-3 x a year and have ended up in an emergency room by ambulance which can be the worst part of a uti emergency for me. I now face another posible uti and need to consider my best options to treat it comfortably safely"

EuriskoLontano September 15, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "I took Cipro for 5 days. It made me sick! I nausea, body aches, chills, diahrea, head aches, dizziness! My uti is gone. i took the last pill 2 days ago and the drug hasnt completely left my body yet! Im not taking cipro ever again!"

Renck September 10, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Kidney Infections: "I'm no stranger to antibiotics. I've taken many different kinds. I've had side effects to them all, but Cipro was absolutely the worst. I was prescribed 500 mg twice daily for a kidney infection (klebsiella). I could not get passed 3 days. My tendons and joints hurt so bad. I can barely walk as of this morning. I'm terrified it may be permanent. It worked against the infection, but destroyed my joints. Please, get a urine culture and see what antibiotics your bacteria will respond to and choose anything but Cipro or any other fluoroqinolones. These side effects can be permanent, or at least last a long time, maybe even a year!"

Michelleagain (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Sinusitis: "Ended up with hospital stay from Cipro... Years ago Mom ended up in the hospital in renal failure due to Cipro."

No taker September 3, 2016

For : "Went to the dermatologist after a nasty looking rash popped up. Turns out I had Hot Tub Folliculitis. Taking the ciprofloxacin to get rid of it. Seen a massive improvement in just two days, but I'm not fond of the side effects. My sinuses drain, so I get nauseous. I sneeze more than normal. Nausea if taken on an empty stomach, and just overall malaise. Hopefully I won't be on it too much longer, but I have to say, it works really well."

HotTubFolliculitis September 3, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Serious Sinus infections for years. Ciprodex drops in nose and oral Ciprofloxacin totally cured the problem. no side effects,,,,,I am totally ecstatic !!!!"

Ecstatic (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Infection Prophylaxis: "DO NOT USE THIS DRUG. I used it for post vasectomy infection prevention Horrible drug with crazy side effects. I can't believe that this is legal to prescribe except for emergencies. I only took 2 pills and 3 days later I still have aches and pains in joints all over my body. Joints are stiff and I have to walk slowly. Now I have to worry about a possible tendon rupture even months from now. I also have tinnitus (ringing in my ears) which is CONSTANT. After taking the very first pill I felt light-headed, out-of-it and almost passed out. I should never have taken the 2nd. This drug is insanely overpowered and should only be used if there is no alternative. It attacks your joints, tendons, muscles, digestive tract and nervous system."

Post Vasectomy Pain (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This medicine takes away your infection within a couple of days. I would stay away from caffeine if you are known to have anxiety. Muscle aches are not there like some of these scary reviews... I am very sensitive to a lot of medicine, this one works!! The only side effect is if you go in sun you will get rash.... Also, my jaw feels a little stiff. Other than a few side effects, I'd rather get rid of an infection that could lead to worse!"

Sierradbrownn August 27, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Bacterial Infection: "The severe side effect after only 2nd pill of cramps in calves, legs and shoulders were not worth the medications use. Very scary. No one told me the damage could be permanent, not dr or pharmacy- this should be advised up front. Will never use again."

Moose1999 August 24, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Neuropathy and about 25 different side effects dealing with neuropathy that lasted over 2 years. Stay away from this drug"

Amber0411 (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "It is good for UTI but it's not good for the body at all!! the second day I started having muscle problems, sleeping problems, anxiety..."

Xime3778 August 23, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Took Cipro for a suspected UTI and within 3 days my legs were in terrible pain. I now suffer from permanent nerve and tendon damage over 3 years later. I'm in my thirties. I wouldn't take this again if you paid me. My life has been ruined."

EPA (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Unfortunately I get UTI's more often than I should. I have taken a 10 day prescription of Cipro, 500mg every 12 hours for a bad UTI, and I couldn't get past 5 days of it. I was just prescribed Cipro, one 500mg pill (because my doctor believed that this medications side effects were too common and powerful). Within 24 hours, my UTI symptoms cleared up BUT, in the past two nights, I have barely slept. I have bad stomach cramping and diarrhea. And headaches. Not fun to say the least. It will do a good job knocking out the infection, but the side effects are just crappy. I also learned that with this medication, some times less is more."

Cipro for a UTI August 18, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "While Cipro may clear up my UTI it triggered my seizure potential and lowered my seizure threshold. It also can interfere with seizure meds which isn't cool for me as it can cause seizures in people with previous head trauma too. Lastly, if also taken with NSAIDS like ibuprofen or aspirin it can raise risk. Use extreme caution if have history of seizures!!!!"

Cipro (the good n bad) August 16, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "58 year old male. Self-diagnosed Epiglottitis via google... all the classic symptoms (headache, bodyache, fever, inflamed upper throat -> actually area of epiglottis, painful swallowing, some difficulty breathing when trying to sleep)... and when I saw on a Saturday - that it could possibly be fatal (asphyxiation)... but treatable with antibiotics, I reached for the 1st antibiotic I saw listed for the condition (although do not have that reference handy.) Cipro 500 mg, 2xday, 5 day course (expired 5 years ago, 2011) 12 hrs (after 1st dose) - fever gone 18 hrs - headache / body ache gone 24 hrs - epiglottis still inflamed, but less-so? pain swallowing 36 hrs - epiglottis less inflamed? less pain swallowing? 48 hrs - epiglottitis resolved!!!"

Balmy (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I had a UTI and was prescribed cipro within 12 hours I had a massive rash with welts and itching. My hands feet and face swelled. I was absolutely miserable. Benadryl helped. I will stay as far away from this drug as possible."

Jopeful August 14, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Not a fan. Went to urgent care for a particularly painful UTI and was prescribed cipro and immediately took the first dose. The plus side is it started working almost immediately. 24 hours later and I'm about 90% better already. However after taking the second pill I developed some slight nausea and then several hours later noticed some muscle pain in my calves and behind my knees and it has now spread to my shoulders and wrists. After reading that cipro can cause serious and permanent damage I quit using it immediately and asked to be switched to a different antibiotic. Not worth it!"

Samalam1216 August 13, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Dr. Prescribed cipro so I took it twice a day for 3 days for a UTI- turns out I didn't have. On day 3, my children called an ambulance because I passed out and had trouble walking for several months afterwards. Ive been to several specialists trying to find a solution to my cipro induced weakness in my legs. I can't even think straight! This drug ruined me. I wish I never went to the dr that day. This has taken a heavy toll on my family and career. :("

anonymous mom of 4 August 11, 2016

For Kidney Infections: "I was prescribed cipro as a precaution do to a kidney blockage I have. I can't say how effective it is, because I dont have an infection. I just wanted to comment on side effects. I did not have any side effects at all that I'm aware of. I'm extremely sensitive to everything! This hasn't seemed to bother me at all. Then again, I'm only on a 5 day treatment plan."

VKB (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

For Prostatitis: "im 27, i got prostaties and took cipro 1 month and all symptoms gone then they back, took Ofloxacin 20 days without any improvment, started cipro again and now is 25th day and nothing happens, I hope I will get better soon."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2016

For Prostatitis: "Put on 30 days Cipro 1000mg/day for suspected prostatitis based on pain during rectal exam, all other symptoms had gone away by the time I saw urologist. Day5 I took the pill my feet and ankles swelled up and it was very difficult to drive my car or climb stairs. A few days later, one of my ankles is still tight and the foot on that side tingles when walking around. Hopefully these side effects will go away. Prior to starting I did have pain in my left abdomen and a heavy feeling in my left testicle, and these seemed to go away 3 or 4 days into the treatment, so I cant say the medicine didn't work at all. I am left hoping this tendon pain in my feet will subside and I can return to usual activity. Was told to never take Cipro again."

AJ6143 (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I got a UTI while I'm holiday in Spain. I was given ciprofloxacin to take for seven days. It took four days before I experienced any relief. Even at that I still could feel the UTI symptoms. I had a pounding headache for the first 3 days of taking it but I didn't care if it was going to help me with the pain of my UTI. The medication takes a long time to start working and only for the painkillers the doctor also prescribed I wouldn't have had any relief. It's seems very weak. When you have a UTI you need the medicine to start working hard right away because the pain and discomfort is so horrendous!! Sometimes I wonder do doctors really understand the pain, discomfort and stress a UTI or bladder infection can cause."

UTI sufferer (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016