User Reviews for Ciprofloxacin

Also known as: Cipro, Cipro I.V., Cipro XR, Cipro Cystitis Pack

Ciprofloxacin has an average rating of 5.0 out of 10 from a total of 800 ratings on Drugs.com. 37% of those users who reviewed Ciprofloxacin reported a positive effect, while 46% reported a negative effect.

Traveler's Diarrhea   10.0
Surgical Prophylaxis   1.0
Summary of Ciprofloxacin reviews 5.0 800 reviews

Reviews for Ciprofloxacin

ST · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Please don't take unless a life or death situation. After 5 days, Cipro has caused me so much pain.. especially in my left kidney. Muscles aches, as well. Ciprofloxacin has given me a non-stop internal fever. This medication has been debilitating. I can't get out of bed or take care of my kids. But my UTI is gone, smh.”

Figboo · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2021

For Diverticulitis: “I'm on Day 5 and my stomach really bad fo me, bad heartburn, feel like its still in my throat like I can never swallow it. Bad gas and lower stomach pains .....”

Myles February 14, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Went to a Urologist for a UTI infection the doctor prescribed me ciprofloxacin 500mg 2 times a day after the doctor inspected my bladder with some kind of scope found redness and inflammation, no diagnosis just sent me with these pills. Bad mistake I started getting intense stomach and back pain this is my first ever UTI inspection. Took me second pill today after 6 hours of taking it my stomach cramped up really bad intense back pain heart racing I’m sitting wide awake now scared of serious complications I much rather burn urinating then this heavy duty medicine it’s like acid is eating away at my stomach like someone is poking my back I can’t get out of bed. I’m not urinating as much and think my infection might be getting better but I refuse to take the other 13 pills they are going down the toilet like I’m scared to even see a doctor no diagnosis. Beware this medicine is very dangerous 0 my stomach hurts so bad hope my pain goes away never again”

mia · Taken for less than 1 month February 5, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “NEVER TAKE ciprofloxacin, even 1 pill. After 2 pills, I had muscles weakness. I had difficulty to put my young son in the car. Now, I have little pain in my arms and legs. I won't take more pills. The pharmacist said me to stop it night now. I hope everything will go back to normal in a couple of days.”

Person · Taken for less than 1 month January 20, 2021

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Kidney Infections: “After 3 doses of Cipro for a kidney infection I had short term memory loss, couldn’t recall the days of the medication, I had increased anxiety within 30 min of ingestion, depression. HORRIBLE DRUG!”

Helena · Taken for less than 1 month January 13, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Never ever, ever take Cipro. I took it for 4 days, and thought it was going to be the end of me. Severe pain in my back and legs. Constant tingling, pains in both knees to the point it was difficult to walk and also in my hands. And a headache that started 3 hours after the first pill and did not go away for almost 10 days. A month later, and I am still having walking problems due to pain. This drug should be banned from the market.”

Lindy · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 4, 2021

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Bone infection: “This drug is a blessing and a curse. I've had repeated bouts of osteomyelitis having been on cipro for months at a time. Not mention seven surgeries and one amputation to resolve the infections. Cipro got rid the infection but did cause three of my teeth to become brittle and break. So please use caution when using this medication”

Prairie Rose January 2, 2021

For Diverticulitis: “I developed diarrhea that even OTC Immodium could not stop, along with a low-grade fever. I went to the ER to be evaluated, and the ER doctor diagnosed diverticulitis, prescribing 500 mg ciprofloxacin tablets to be taken 3 times a day, for 10 days. Three days later, I was almost completely paralyzed and feeling intense, sharp pains throughout my body any time I tried to move. Every tendon in my body was completely frozen. I returned to the ER, and the doctor immediately had a MORPHINE drip administered (yes, the pain was THAT BAD), and told me to cease taking the ciprofloxacin. This occurred 3 years ago, and fortunately I did physically recover from what I consider to be a "poisoning," without any lasting side effects. But, the horrible experience that ciprofloxacin put me through has left me traumatized, to the point where I heavily scrutinize any new medication that is prescribed to me by my doctors. IMO, ciprofloxacin is a dangerous drug that needs to be banned.”

Jade · Taken for less than 1 month December 29, 2020

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Skin and Structure Infection: “Overall it wasn’t bad at all, never had any side effects I was good all the way through. Make sure you drink water daily when taking these pills. DON'T be scared by the bad reviews you see on the internet!! I was a little scared at first myself but it was perfectly fine for me and even got rid of my infection which was great! I would definitely recommend this but personally I would recommend trying a home remedy before going with any drug.”

Mt · Taken for less than 1 month December 29, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “This drug gave me 2 torn rotator cuffs! If I had known it was a possible side effect I never would have taken it . This same drug destroyed my neighbors Achilles’ tendon after just 2 doses ! This medicine cleared my infection but it was NOT worth the damage it did to my body. BEWARE!”

Melissa · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2020

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Sinusitis: “Took this for a sinus infection. Did not clear it up, but about 4 weeks later I had neuropathy in my face which then spread down over my whole body. Muscle spasms, arthritis, vertigo, blurred vision, headaches, burning nerve pain, tendonitis, even my hair started falling out. Had to do PT just to use my right leg again. Went to multiple neurologists and drs. But they could not figure it out. Almost a year later I was given cipro again and immediately felt like my whole body was on fire. This was around the time they were having hearings at the FDA to add all the black box warnings, so my new doctor figured it out. 5 years later and I'm better, but still cant hike or do things I used to love, and still have nerve and tendon issues Don't ever take Cipro!”

Kay · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 22, 2020

For Prostatitis: “I was prescribed “Ciprofloxacin “ for 4 weeks due to Prostatitis 3 years ago , I was told by my gp it would give me “Diarrhea! And I had to take probiotics to soothe my stomach , I can remember having stomach cramps while taking the medication as well as nausea but it wasn’t to bad at all”

Edward91 December 10, 2020

For Prostatitis: “ciprofloxacin side effects for me are- Eye floaters - Severe anxiety - Panic attacks - Irregular heartbeat - Myoclonus (muscle jerks/spasms/twitches) - Internal vibrations and tremors - Eye pressure/pain - Eye strain - Severe dry eye. - Peripheral neuropathy - Ear symptoms: Aural fullness, feelings of electric shocks/stinging/burning/liquid/cooling sensations deep in the inner ear - Eardrum flutter and tightness - Pain hyperacusis (noxacusis) - sound-induced pain - Facial nerve/teeth/neck/shoulders pain from ears - Autophony - High frequency sound distortion - Intermittent reactive tinnitus including musical ear syndrome (auditory hallucinations) - Muscle aches in jaw, lower back, neck, pelvis, right wrist, ankles, and knees Like coming down with a rare disease overnight. Had to go back to my GP, an opthamologist, an audiologist, and soon an ENT neurotologist. Bayer, give me my health back! Give me my life back!”

X-conzy · Taken for less than 1 month November 29, 2020

For Kidney Infections: “I was diagnosed with a kidney infection,I was given Cipro 500 mg twice daily On the first day after taking the drugs, the pain on my side has vanished. Then on the third day I start feeling slight pain on my back and side but am still taking the drugs .I don't know if my condition has worsened.”

Darrell · Taken for less than 1 month November 20, 2020

For Prostatitis: “Warning - I have had chronic prostatitis for years and usually have a couple of events each year that need extended periods of weeks taking Ciproflaxacin. The tablets have been marked as "do not prescribe" on my prescription after my calf muscle suddenly failed during a short meandering walk this month. After 3 weeks rest and the use of a private physiotherapist I have at last been able to carefully stretch my calf muscles back to near normal. I was so lucky that I did not tear my achilles tendon and need surgery to walk again.”

Sherry · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2020

For Diverticulitis: “I took this antibiotic ciprofloxacin as a precaution to make sure my diverticulitis abscess was cleared up. It was healing on Amoxicillin already. I only took it two days and the side effects were extreme. I couldn't even get up. What really makes me angry is that now my finger tips are cold, all the time, even when it's hot outside. I have livestock and I'm outdoors normally without even wearing gloves all winter long. Now my fingers are nearly frozen in minutes! This medication should only be taken as a last resort if your other choice is a terminal condition”

MissP · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2020

For Salmonella Gastroenteritis: “Cipro works great! If I get food poisoning It shuts it right down. When you are traveling being sick is not pleasant.”

Dont used this drug · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2020

For Prostatitis: “I use antibiotic ciprofloxacin, but it really messes with my mind and puts me in a really dark place, I don’t know what happened to my mind. I think doxycycline is better”

Mish · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2020

For Kidney Infections: “Was prescribed ciprofloxacin for a kidney infection and I would honestly rather have the kidney infection. After two days of taking it, my neck became sore and then numb. I had tingling and numbness in different spots of my body. I felt so tired I could barely lift my head up, my muscles felt weak and shaky. The thing that scares me the most is the numbness. I'm calling my doctor and asking for a different antibiotic. Would not recommend, I don't think it's safe for anyone. I've never had a reaction like this to an antibiotic before.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2020

For Prostatitis: “Ciprofloxacin is the only antibiotic that works for me but the side effects I had about 2 weeks after finishing the course. I had a lot of allergic reactions - it was like I was allergic to everything I went to lots of doctors and hospitals and the could not figure out the problem. This went on for months. I only realised that ever time I take a course of cipro this is what happens to me - it throws my immune system of balance and makes it hypersensitive to lots of different things. Beware.”

Nicolle · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2020

For Bladder Infection: “This medication ciprofloxacin ruined my life, I was prescribed it several times in 2004 and subsequently developed debilitating medical conditions and symptoms that have lasted for 16 years. This med should be taken off the market.”

Tony October 25, 2020

For Prostatitis: “Ciprofloxacin is a bad medicine, a lot of side effects, hard on system if you are 76 years old. Hurts after you eat I had burning of the rectum after taking 10 pills and I should not have that well into the regiment. Take this off the market. This med is bad. Amoxicillin is the best with very few side effects.”

Eve · Taken for less than 1 month October 22, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “Off of one dose I got all the bad side affects hours later sweating, diarrhea, vomiting, skin turning pale and it felt like I had pins and needles sticking in my head. I can't believe that I have all these side effects on top of food poisoning it seems very dangerous.”

George · Taken for less than 1 month October 21, 2020

For Diverticulitis: “Stay away from this poison called CIPRO. The side effects are horrible. You might not get one but if you do like me , you will be fighting for your life for the rest of it. I had a diverticulitis and was Given CIPRO. Doctors later confirmed that in my case I did not need it. Now I have: Systemic Candida Leaky Gut Syndrome, Gastritis Permanent Nerve System damage Insomnia where I can not sleep at all. Some nights are nightmare. Chronic Indigestion Chronic Constipation Gallbladder stones Compromised Immune System And this is not a complete list. From totally healthy person I became chronically ill in a matter of 14 CIPRO pills”

Person X · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2020

For Salmonella Gastroenteritis: “I am 19 years and was diagnosed with food poisoning (no test was taken though) ....so the doc recommended this drug and every time I use Cipro.....I can't stop throwing up the whole yello colouration of this drug. I have lost appetite and I'm generally weak. Wouldn't recommend this drug.....its side effects are extremely baaaad”