User Reviews for Levofloxacin

Also known as: Levaquin, Levaquin Leva-Pak

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Levofloxacin.

Streptococcal Infection

Otitis Media
3.2

Summary of Levofloxacin reviews 5.2 464 reviews

Reviews for Levofloxacin

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Shortly after starting levofloxacin my knees began to hurt as well as my Achilles tendon. After a few days I stopped taking the medication due to the pain. 3 months later the pain hadn't gone away and that's when I read one of the side effects of this drug is knee/tendon pain. I could no longer walk without assistance and finally ended up having to go to PT and an orthopedic surgeon who gave me a shot in the knee to help. Almost a year later I'm finally feeling relief. Avoid this medication."

Brenda-C December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Prostatitis: "I prescribe 750 mg of Levofloxacin for acute prostatitis. I took the medicine for 2 and half days. My tendons in my knees, ankles, heel and bottom of my feet started to aching. I began to have bad neck pain and headaches. I was falling asleep at work at the same time every day. My tongue had sore red bumps on them and turned white. It have been 11 days since I stop taking them and still having the same pain. I am currently taking magnesium to help with the pain. I see some help from magnesium. Do not take this medicine."

Will65 (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "Not stopped coughing took for 5 days still the same"

Jimmyruffin1 December 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "if there is a justice on earth the people who invented this medication should be all in jail This medication is like real torture I was thinking how bad it is and thought maybe is created for dictatorship to abuse their people They should call it torture"

Karimsf December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed this medication for urinary tract infection, yeast infection plus bronchitis I suffer from asthma and had a terrible cough that will not go away. I just took one doze of Levofloxacin 500 mg, I felt something horrible was happening to me that day, my muscles were aching and contracting, I was extremely sensitive to any noise also experienced nausea and stomach ache, I was not able to sleep that night. I really don't know why this medicine is on the market."

Alguata November 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I am not doubting others have he issues, but cipro and levaquin are the only antibiotics I can take (I have severe allergies to others). When I have a sinus infection levaquin is a life saver. I'm so thankful for it. I do get a bit nauseous on it, but it's strong... I take with food, and if I get nauseous I eat crackers. It helps when other meds fail me. I just am concerned I will grow an immunity eventually. The drug does make me feel yucky initially , but it's like it's "killing" the infection, then I turn around. It is a strong drug, but me, my husband, my parents, friend, sister in law, nice have all taken it at some point and never had any major issues."

Not like others (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Pneumonia: "I had pneumonia & had been sick for 2 weeks. The Dr. had prescribed another antibiotic & steroids first. When I wasn't better, the Dr. prescribed Levaquin. The first day was ok, just really tired. The second day I started having joint pain & my ribs were really hurting (not from coughing)& still really exhausted. By the third day I could barely walk because of my knees being so swollen & painful & hard to breathe because of the rib pain. Called the Dr. & he said to get off of it & come in for blood tests. I have been off of it for almost 2 weeks & still can barely walk & the ribs are still really sore. After reading the rest of the stories, it makes me very angry that this drug and it's family is still out there to harm people. RIDICULOUS!"

Rnchrgrl November 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pneumonia: "I was put on levofloxacin 750mg once a day for 5 days for pneumonia. I was put on Z pack at first but by day 4 I felt the same, I was then switched to Augmentin and after 10 days of that , still the same with a little bit of symptoms changed . I was then but on Levofloxacin. I read all the reviews and worked myself up being scared to take it. I promised myself I would write a review afterwards. I didn’t have any of the mentioned side effects. I know everyone is different. As far as body aches , I have bursitis in my shoulder anyways so that hurt a bit more but not unbearable. I would have to say that if your prescribed it, don’t get yourself worked up when reading the reviews. I finished yesterday and I feel better. It helped me."

Joycewasok November 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Pneumonia: "I was diagnosed with pneumonia and was given levaquin 750 mg for 10 days. I'm on day 6 and everyday I get fever, shivers and chills not to mention the extremely bad headaches!!I'm going to let levaquin go !! I am going to throw the rest of the pills. I have no idea how do they prescribe it!"

Levaquinnleavemealone November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Sinusitis: "I took Levaquin 750mg for 3 days and two days later I still feel light headed, nauseated, chills, can’t concentrate, no energy. Overall horrible. "

Chuli November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Had a deep neck, sinus, and throat infection along with a developing genital infection. I wasn’t in a good place. Went to Dr where I was prescribed 10 days of 500 mg levofloxacin after the practitioner noticed swelling in my testicles. After taking the first pill I noticed very mild pain in my right foot, so I looked up soft effects of the drug and immediately stopped. Knowing I needed the antibiotics, I decided to cut the pills in half to take two 250 mg doses per day. I’m now on day 5 taking 2 doses a day and so far my foot pain has gone away and no other side effects have surfaced. The swelling in my neck has gone down to practically nothing and my genital infection is gone. I haven’t felt this good in months, maybe years."

Jmbehrington November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "I now wonder with me having this medication last year if it did not cause my Plantar Facitilitis that I have horribly. I am on day 7 of 500 mg and I am coughing so hard it makes me vomit. my tonsils have went down but I do not sleep well and my mind always thinking. No down time. Stomach is upset and I am hungry but can't eat. I have 3 more days to go and I don't think I am going to continue."

suzykew (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Sinusitis: "I found this to be a wonderful medicine for my sinusitis. I was on Augmentin for 2 weeks and didn't completely take away the infection. The Levaquin stopped the infection in 3 days. I have used a number of times and luckily have had none of the problems others have had."

SallyO420 October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Bronchitis: "I am over 60 years old, have afib with medication, have rheumatoid arthritis on medication. I was given levaquin to take for bronchitis infections and ear infection previously treated with zpac. I only took two pills, and had tendon problems in my legs so bad I could barely walk, I quit taking immediately, it took a while to get over the pain in my legs. I should never have been given it due to pre existing conditions and age."

sicksandi October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Otitis Media: "Do not mix this medication with others. This is a powerful antibiotic and should only be taken if you've been extremely thorough with your doctor regarding the side effects and risks. I took this to treat a bilateral ear infection, sinus infection, and bronchitis. Due to the spread of the infection and the fact that I have had dozens of ear infections I'm willing to take the risks because if left untreated, my next ear infection could very well leave me deaf. This antibiotic was used after I had a round of amoxicillin that didn't do the job and we were getting desperate. It's been my third dose now and I feel great. I'm a little "off" but will only take this for a week due to the strength of the antibiotic."

Derrick rose September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Pneumonia: "I was prescribed Levaquin for pneumonia. After two days I felt so much better. I had some lower back pain which I expected as I know medications well. I am a practicing RN for 23 years. My appetite was poor but has improved. I had some mouth pain with probable thrush related to the antibiotic. 750 mg x 5 days was worth it!!"

Nurcyn (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I took one dose of levaquin and had an immediate anaphylactic response - within minutes my eyes were swollen shut and I was gasping for breath...had a rescue squad not been close to me I would have died. This epic side effect left me with a permanent numb area on the left side of my face and dropping eyelid. From talking to a dr who was gathering information about quinolone reactions, the numbness on the left side of my face is from damage to the central nervous system. This class of drugs has been wisely banned in many countries."

Mrs Zefo September 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Was given Levaquin for lingering lung bronchial condition. After 7 days. I was feeling 10x worse. At first I thought I had the flu. Headache fever achy all over no energy just weak. Then my shoulder joints started hurting so bad I could cry. On a pain score 1-10 I was at a 15 and I've had 4 kids and rods in my back. I contacted the Dr who told me to stop taking this Medication. That iris known for pain in joints. Well I'm 2 weeks out. Still in pain all the way down both arms. Sleeping on a heating pad and taking pain medication. My original complaint seems minor compared to this. Dr says 4-6 weeks to get it out of your system. I am Miserable. Can't lift my arms. "

Tina P. (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "My infections have not been simple cases of uncomplicated UTI, they progressed rapidly into Pyelonephritis. Levaquin should not be the 1st med prescribed for various UNcomplicated infections (think "Resistance") nor should providers refuse to prescribe it. I understand the FDA black box warning, I accept that risk. Problem is, we can literally "google" any drug and find every possible side effect to convince ourselves that the medication is to blame. Yes, Levaquin can be riskier (elderly, drug interactions, etc.) I've fortunately only had diarrhea (most antibiotics cause this-Google that) as a side effect. My doctor recommended taking probiotics along with an antibiotic, and it helps. Google that, too. Levaquin isn't evil."

Twynlyn September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Otitis Media: "I took 3 doses of levaquin and stopped it. I now have joint pain, constant tendonitis and vision problems. I hold Drs accountable for all of the damage done by this class of drug. For God's sake levaquin is used to treat anthrax infections, it should NOT be used for ear infections, UTIs or sinus infections. It should only be used if the other option is death. I'm serious, if you have a life threatening infection, use it because you have nothing to lose from it but otherwise never take it."

Todd Z August 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Pneumonia: "Levaquin and its generic are Fluoroqunilone antibiotics. The FDA has issued a Black Box Warning -- the most severe warning it can issue -- on all Fluoroquinolone antibiotics because they cause so many horrible, longterm side effects (like permanent tendonitis, vision problems, and more). Fluoroqunilones break down the mitochondria of cells, leading to cell death. This damage cannot be reversed."

TPera (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pneumonia: "I experienced the severe side effects of tendon pain. I would not advise taking this medicine unless death is the only option"

Roseville people (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Bladder Infection: "Last night I panicked from side effects from this antibiotic I'm taking for a UTI! The first couple days I felt a tingling/electric feeling & muscle twitches all over my body, was restless, and woke a few times during the night. Tonight was my 3rd dose & the electric pins and needles/skin crawling feeling was intense and affected my ENTIRE body (I could feel it in my ear lobes and my eyes!), muscle spasms & twitches, uncontrollable shaking, hard to get a deep breath, hard to swallow, hard to talk, my tongue felt fat, jaw clenching, stuttering, dry mouth, stiff calf muscles, the arches of my feet were twitching, my rib muscles were cramping, paranoia, hearing things, difficulty thinking. Hope no permanent damage! I'm a fit 29-year-old."

Kristina E. (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Levoflox great antibiotic against epididymitis, resolved @day 3 after start. 500mg one daily. Only some tendinitis, Otherwise healthy adult male"

Daddy88 (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took a total of two 750 mg pills in two days. The day after the first pill I woke up and both my calf muscles felt extremely sore and very tight. I decided to press forward because I wanted to clear up my infection. Later on at night after I took pill two, I had the sensation of pins and needles radiating throughout my body. I thought to myself, something's not right. I decided not to take anymore. When I woke up in the morning after day two, I could barely step down on my feet and walk. I've been off for 4 days now and my symptoms seem to be clearing up slowly. Very slowly. I'm unsure how people take this medication for 5, 7, 10 or even 14 days or more. It will ruin your muscles and tendons and can cause you to become disabled very quick"

purpleindigoviolet (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2017