User Reviews for Levofloxacin

Also known as: Levaquin, Levaquin Leva-Pak

Learn more about Levofloxacin.

Kidney Infections 10 reviews 93 medications

Skin or Soft Tissue Infection 6 reviews 159 medications

4.6
Summary of Levofloxacin reviews 344 reviews 5.7

Reviews for Levofloxacin

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "If I could give this drug a 0 I would. I have never had such a severe reaction in my life. It was so bad I ended up not only in the ER from the reaction but also at the eye doctors as it caused my entire eye to turn bright red, swell and lost vision temporarily in it. This medication also caused me severe joint pain, shoulder pain, and leg/severe calf pain."

Mom37013 (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2016

For Pneumonia: "I've only been taking this for 3 days, for pneumonia and the side effects I've had are nausea, about 30 minutes after taking and diarrhea. I'm still looking for something to help with the nausea. It's not fun being as sick as I've been and adding another issue."

Holly H (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2016

For Pneumonia: "I was precribed this medication due to having some "type of pneumonia". I was given a shot of antibiotics at the office so not sure if that was levoflaxcin but I immediately starting feeling very anxious and irritated over EVERYTHING. I used to have bad anxiety years ago and 7 years later started experiencing it all out over again. Next day I took my first pill and about 4 hours later the top of my right foot was so tender to the touch I cried. My husband made a comment he could see the tendon protruding up my ankle...? Fast forward to that night and I who am normally sound asleep by 10 was wide awake until after 3. Needless to say I called and asked for a different prescription. No thank you."

L16 July 5, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Sinusitis: "I was prescribed Levaquin for acute bacterial sinusitis after going to my GP for a congested nose, sinus pressure and bad headaches and fatigue which lasted 7 days. He said this should clear it right up...After reading all the warning I was hesitant with my pharmacist but they assured me it's a normal antibiotic, nothing too strong as since I'm allergic to penicilin it's a great alternative. The horror began immediately on day one, the skin on my left arm shoulder area began to burn so badly, and my arm started to get numb, even my pinky finger I couldn't move. I obviously freaked out and called the doc, he said I'm having an allergic reaction to it, not to worry it won't cause any nerve damage. Switched to Zithromax, much better & safer :("

Kareem Dubai June 26, 2016

For Pneumonia: "I've been taking Levaquin for 4 days. The Dr said I had a little pneumonia in my right lung, but my xray was clesr??? Anyhow, since she told me to take it I am, but I've been having horrible heart rythym problems to the point of calling the ambulance. My neck hurts, my knees hurt worse and my ankles hurt. It's like all of my bones and joints ache worse. My sternum. It's helping with the sinus infection and clearing that up, but the other side effects aren't worth it."

Muffin2sweet (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2016

For Bronchitis: "I had a terrible experience with this medicine... very toxic... gave me shortness and tightness in the chest.. i could not breath.. my husband took it the same time as i did.. his heart started racing he would break out in sweats all day and night... lots of joint pains.. this medicine is horrible do not take it.. i never had any problems.. before this ..... with my breathing chest pains any tightness or shortness of breath not ever.."

CarolCon June 13, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This last Monday I was detected by my doctor that I have a acute Cystitis. My doctor prescribed me lavoprolaxicin Levaquin for 6 days.. My nightmare start in day 3 when I couldn't even get up from my bed.. I was sore all over my body.. I couldn't even walk.. Only I took 4 pills and I feel that my life changed to the worst for this medication.. I went to ER and they gave me fluids to at least clean a little bit my system.. I got a CT scan of my kidneys, and bladder, liver and all results were normal..If doctors know those side effects why are they still prescribing this medicine. it's poison!! I . I'm still panicked !!I have faith that everything will be normal again.. Today is my day 1without the medication.. I'm walking better."

Hany V. June 11, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "My mother is 84 and was given this drug for a mild UTI. After 2 doses, she became so confused she didn't know where she was or who I was. Her muscles were so weak she could not move or stand. She was paranoid and manic at times. Her potassium dropped very low. She was in the hospital 4 days. They immediately took her of it, gave her IV's and potassium. Tested her for stroke and dementia, which were negative. She is home and better but it took several weeks. Not a good drug, especially for elderly. She now takes D-Mannose 1000mg/day, 2000mg for any UTI symptoms."

Sueshine (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2016

For Prostatitis: "This drug is pure garbage. The good news: side effects are temporary and will fade away. Even if they continiue for a couple of weeks."

Brownnn June 3, 2016

For Bronchitis: "Symptoms I had: coughing fits producing green mucus, rapid heartbeat, temperature, muscle tightness/pain, wheezing, headache, shallow breathing, tight chest. I was prescribed 10 days of 500mg/day. The symptoms began to fade after 5-6 days. Side effects occurred after 6 days: extreme insomnia laying in bed for 7 hours straight with no sleep and only sleeping for 2-4 hours. (dizziness and confusion, but this may be from lack of sleep)"

Cal 2510 June 1, 2016

For Prostatitis: "It caused extreme fatigue.As you are going to pass out. Depression tendencies 5 day of my course.Totally screwed."

Vishal gurgaon (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2016

For Bronchitis: "Sick for three weeks with sinus / ear infection that spread to the lungs. I was first given a "z pack" which did not work. Got really sick and ended up getting fluids, Levaquin, and prednisone. By the third day I was feeling much better. I'm on the medication a week now, no problems other than a little jittery, but I believe the prednisone is contributing to this side effect."

Mike88888 May 28, 2016

For Pneumonia: "Took levofloxin for pneumonia and cleared up quick. Within 2 months my achilles was sore everyday. Made an appointment with a podiatrist for Nov 17th. Achilles snapped on Nov 14th. Surgery went well to repair shredded achilles. In cast for 3 months. Since sore after 3 months on my feet and working. I nurse it everyday. Avoid this drug, if possible. Not worth the side effects."

Contractor57 May 27, 2016

For Streptococcal Infection: "I had meningitis which was the result of an ongoing untreated and lingering sinus infection. I was on IV antibiotics along with oral Levaquin. A month later I took Levaquin for about 3 more weeks for extra measure to clear it all out. This med likely had a part in saving my life, because I'm allergic to alot of other meds and I can tolerate this. The only thing I do/did notice when taking it, is vivid and sometimes intense/strange dreams. It stopped when I was done with the course. Had I taken antibiotics back when my sinus infection started (I didn't as I was scared of unneccessary meds) I wouldn't have gotten meningitis in the first place. So people, please please take the meds if you have an infection. Don't end up like me!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Bronchitis: "I woke up in the middle of the night after taking 3 doses (that's only 3 pills) in excruciating painit felt like someone had a huge sledgehammer and was slamming it against my left knee over and over again. The pain was so bad I even vomited. This pain lasted for weeks and I know have chronic tendonitis in that knee and am in constant pain. Some days are better, but it's a constant pain and it's always swollen. It's been like this since 2009, it is now 2016. This class of drugs is toxic and should never be used as a 1st line of attack for infections; it shouldn't be used at all. Don't ever take this drug or the others like it, they are called the "Fluroquinolones" which also includes Cipro, Avelox to name a few."

Topias (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Pneumonia: "Ruptured tendons..."

Anonymous May 23, 2016

For : "I took this for 7 days 750 mg. Insomnia hit the first 2 nights. I awoke with achy shoulders and neck, next day shoulders and hips, next day hips and knees. It was not the knee bones but tendons around it so swollen I could not squat. At 63 and active I felt like I was 100. Hands were swollen, neck muscles were unbearable and knees and hips, mostly knees after the 7 days hurt terribly. I have finished the medicine but 10 days later my knees are still not back to norm. I am trying to function normally but my knees operate only about 65%. I can only hope this will pass. I was taking this med with the thought I might have an infection in my lungs but this for me did not help my lung issue. Lisinopril and penicillin are allergens as well. BEWARE"

marina gal (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I'm 19 and was prescribed 750 mg for 14 days, stopped after 3 days after noticing soreness in knees and in heel. I was terrified to take this, but being allergic to penicillin and azythromycin I had to try it. Its now been 3 days since my last dose and I still have notable soreness in right heel. I am praying this goes away. I can still walk, but I definitely can't exercise. I am taking magnesium supplements and Bromelain for inflammation, with Ibuprofen. Otherwise, I had no problems with sleep (if anything I was more tired) and no stomach upset. I think its also worth mentioning that I suffer from anxiety already and this did not worsen my pre-existing condition. Give it a shot, but the second you notice soreness anywhere,stop taking it."

Bree109 May 14, 2016

For Pneumonia: "Stay away from this. It is a dangerous drug that has caused me tendon issues, exhaustion, walking like Herman Munster, rubber band popping sensation in calves, as well as a vitreous detachment. There has got to be better alternatives. Apon closer research this drug was originally made for black plague and anthrax. This is some scary crap!"

Vulpe (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Sinusitis: "I cannot give Levaquin a good rating. I was a healthy, active college student minoring in dance when I took this for a sinus infection. After a few pills it completely destroyed my life, for an infection that would have cleared on its own. No more than hour of sleep for over a year due to neurological damage that destroyed my sleep cycle. It gave me dysautonomia so now I have tachycardia, POTS, heat intolerance, & all sorts of crazy problems. I got peripheral neuropathy, but it got better over the years. Still I am limited in what I can do, cannot fulfill my dreams, and miss going out in the summer since the heat intolerance causes me to not sweat but actually respond like I have heat exhaustion. No more laying on the beach in July...ever."

Great Lakes Gal May 12, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Get a script of 10 levofloxacin 750 mg every time i get a really bad sinus infection ( sinusitis). Start feeling better within 24 hours. Works great."

Wonderbread wop May 12, 2016

For Pneumonia: "I am on day 7, it does seem to be helping with the pneumonia but I am having a really hard time falling asleep even though I am exhausted and the last 2 days I ache all over especially behind my knees, my shoulders and my wrists and fingers. I do not recommend this medicine."

39 year old woman (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I have COPD and at least twice a year I suffer severe flare-ups of the condition sometimes requiring hospitalization. Levaquin is the only antibiotic that has been effective. If I take it immediately upon early symptoms of a flare-up, I can avoid hospitalization. I have been taking it several times a year for the last several years and have not experienced any serious side effects. When ever I've been hospitalized for COPD exacerbations, I received higher doses of levaquin and again, with no side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 9, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Love Levoflaxin. i was on another antibiotic for weeks and after 3 days on Levoflaxin my symptoms were all gone."

Bobbie ZZ April 30, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I have taken this drug twice in my lifetime and both times it knocked out a nasty bacterial infection. This was after trying several other antibiotics FIRST. I am 63 and have had NO side effects from this drug. Please understand that your doctor has prescribed this medication for a reason. Don't necessarily rely on the negative reviews here."

Boobelton52 April 29, 2016