User Reviews for Levofloxacin

Also known as: Levaquin, Levaquin Leva-Pak

Learn more about Levofloxacin.

Kidney Infections 12 reviews 93 medications

Skin or Soft Tissue Infection 8 reviews 161 medications

3.9
Summary of Levofloxacin reviews 394 reviews 5.5

Reviews for Levofloxacin

For Pneumonia: "I will never take this again! I tried writing my experience with it but there wasn't enough space. Took it for pneumonia, 3 times for 10 days at a time 760mg. I got a partial a Achilles tear, a most horrible taste in my mouth after I eat or ESP drink medicinal taste. Esp when I drink soft drinks but I can taste it for most except water. I developed a cough so bad that I was having extreme breathing problems worsening daily. . The pulmonology dr. I saw asked me my med. history. He told me Levoquin has a history of causing tendon tears and breathing problems."

Bon52 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2017

For Sinusitis: "I was given levofloxacin for a sinus infection I had, had for three months. I had already taken zpaks, steroids, and augmentin. After the third day I did not sleep, and I take some pretty powerful medicine at bedtime. I went for three days before my body collapsed.When it did I wound up in the ER IN a massive muscle spasm. My entire body was locked up stiff as could be. I will never take this stuff again!"

Nannyjack8 (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2017

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Sinusitis: "Had a sinus infection for over a month, but didn't know it, because it started out as pain in my teeth. Went to dentist on 2 seperate occassions within 2 weeks to have a check-up and x-rays. X-rays revealed nothing wrong with my teeth. Pain went to throat for 2 weeks and then my ear. All on left-side. Went to my PCP, who said my sinuses were almost completely closed. I did not have any pain around eyes/nose at this point. Put on Levaquin. The pain has gotten worse!! Has not helped me with my sinus infection. In fact, I'm on day 6, and not only do I have pain in my teeth, ears, and throat still, but now it's traveled throughout my entire head! The malaise I feel is horrible! Been mainly in bed for 5 days now! Horrible antibiotic!!"

BethAM23 January 11, 2017

For Pneumonia: "I went to the doctors n was diagnosed with pneumonia. He prescribed Levofloxacin. The symptoms of the pneumonia decreased,but however I am experiencing excruciating pain in my right arm..in the joint under my elbow. I found this weird and googled this medication, and clearly found out that others experienced the same side effect,in which is not listed in the medications information packet."

JUSWANNAFEEL (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Pneumonia: "Too expensive for fixed income patients. Classified as a tier 3 drug."

Storeyjwf January 10, 2017

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Am allergic to penicillin & more recently Keflex -a not uncommon occurrence in those with penicillin allergy. Prior to allergy, Keflex was slow to work & caused nausea whether taken mid meal or on an empty stomach. I've used Levaquin for stubborn sinus infections & more recently my first UTI. The first time I took it, I experienced muscle soreness. With each subsequent prescription the side effects have vanished & it's efficaciousness has not diminished .Of note for those who give up on it due to nausea & muscle aches: hydration helps reduce the symptoms. This med is not for those with certain heart issues or on some meds for mental health diagnosis."

Mimi01 January 10, 2017

For Sinusitis: "I started taking this for sinuses, I really love this stuff, my wife does to because I stay stiff and she really loves that, other wise I have no complaint. Call my Dr. about the stiff and she called me in to see her, she couldn't believe it , she asked me if I was taking any kind of drug for my ( you know what I'm talking about ) stiffness and I told her no, she still didn't believe me and wanted to try it out to see if it was just as good as the other drugs for stiffness "

Roger candodger (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2017

For Pneumonia: "I've been on this medication a couple of times and for whatever reason something has not quite felt right however the dosage I was taking was over and I went on my Merry Little way. However right before Christmas I was diagnosed was having bacterial pneumonia for the second time in less than a year. For whatever reason the doctor shows to put me on a very high dose with another antibiotic to go with it. It was almost immediately after being discharged from the hospital and going home with my prescription and taking it that I noticed several different changes about myself which included a loss of taste, appetite and sleep. By day 5 I figured they were normal side effects but day 6 my legs, feet, ankles and toes on both feet blew up with pain"

MKE Mikey (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2017

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Sinusitis: "DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION - EVER! Should be illegal. Went to the urgent care during the holidays w/chest congestion, cough, low grade fever, & sinus headache on Monday. Told the doctor I was starting a 8 day cruise on Thursday. She gave me a 10 day, 750 mg tablet of Levoquin. Had a dull ache in my right side after a couple of days on the cruise, which seemed to progress every day. When I got home, I was favoring my right shoulder. 2 nights ago the pain was so bad I couldn't move it & it was very swollen. Went to emergency and was diagnosed with Tendonitis caused by the Levoquinn. Read drug info & horrified that doctor prescribed it to me, 60 yr. old, without trying any other treatment first. So many warnings on this drug."

LuAnnF January 5, 2017

For Sinusitis: "I got sick 2 days after Thanksgiving with a sinus infection and my Dr. Put me on Prednisone and azithromycin for chest congestion. I did not get well. I was then put on levofloxacin for 10 days I am on day 7, I quit today. I have a severe headache, earache, sore throat, swollen glands, sores on my tongue, my mouth feels like it was burned. Gums receded. My arm tendons are shooting pains, my legs are swollen. Ankles hurt. I think this medication should be outlawed. It is poison."

Tam01 (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2016

For Pneumonia: "Used to take Z-pack for my Upper Respiratory problems. But have been changed to Levofloxacin, and it doesn't seem to be doing any good."

Gofuckyourswlf December 30, 2016

For Bronchitis: "Have a terrible taste and smell making me sicker and feeling nauseous. Also muscle cramps. Making tinnitus worse."

Sandman 1955 (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Bronchitis: "I am only able to take levaquin or cipro due to allergies to other antibiotic's. I normally only had 500 mg. This time doctor gave me 750 mg for ten days and was added prednisone 20mg take three tab daily for four day. I was feeling bad on the higher dose of levaquin but needs to get better being asthmatic, I stopped after 7th day of antibiotic and stopped prednisone as well, pains burning inflammation was horrible confusion, rapid heart beat, shaky legs. Can't move left arm well from shoulder to fingers, weakness pain. Pain discomfort in joints muscles bones. My kidneys and abdominal discomfort on and off with that. My physician said could be higher dosage plus on October was on 500mg. Says it tendonitis."

trisha m December 15, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Bacterial Infection: "DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG! Point blank period it should be illegal! It gave me tendinitis only 4 after starting"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "On the first day of taking this medicine I had major dizziness, nausea, and a headache. I had a hard time focusing. I quit taking this medication, and will not take this medicine again."

reviewie1 (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Pneumonia: "I was being treated for pneumonia. Levaquin seems too be knocking down the pneumonia down after two rounds of another antibiotic seemed ineffective. I m now 8 days out from my last dose and feel awful. The joint pain is horrific. I used to exercise, don't know if I will ever be able again. DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG. If your insurance allows opt for hospital care."

kredlady (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Sinusitis: "I'm SUPER sensitive to medications. On 500mg for 5 days, had a sinus infection for about 6 weeks now. So far, I can't sleep really at all, but looks like you can take a Benadryl or something with it that may help you sleep. Will discuss with doctor. Hesitant about taking this because of all the comments here and the (black box warning) about the medication that everyone should read about Levofloxacin (google it). I'm feeling really scattered and can't focus mentally, insomnia and dizziness if I get up too quickly are the biggest issues. I am not taking any of my usual vitamins and no gym, but so far ok. Will update if any changes. *Update, I ended up having to cut the pills in half per doc ok. I felt so awful."

S-Line November 9, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I experienced nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, drowsiness, and headaches all from the levofloxacin. I had staph in my sinuses and it feels like it's still there. The nausea is miserable."

Kayla1234tuio November 7, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I would like to write about this experience because I am a medical student and I have been avoiding taking Levofloxacin for the last 5-6 years. I went through radiation and chemotherapy for a head and neck cancer which significantly anatomically altered the way my sinuses drain. As a result, I get several sinus infections a year. This year, I have taken at least 3 rounds of augmentin, 2 of a cephalosporin and 1 of clindamycin with no success for my sinus infections. Finally, after getting realizing I may have no choice, I decided to take it. I have cleared the infection, and have no side effects. ENSURE to not take ANY NSAIDS, Steroids (cortico) or even aspirin when taking this med. It will lower risk of tendon rupture significantly."

FMTaherDO (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I was taking this antibiotic for three days.during the night of the second day, I could not sleep for the pain.....on the third day, I felt swelling and puffIness in my elbows and hips.... I do not recommend this product..... I just hope that I do not continue to have joint pain....I quit taking after the third day...."

KarenW65 (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2016

For Pneumonia: "I was sick for several weeks. I assumed it was sinusitis again. I became more tired and feeling progressively worse. We had our annual physicals scheduled which was fortunate. I had pneumonia. I was given 7 days/750 Levaquan. The drug is very effective in clearing the infection. The easiest way to avoid sleepliness or disrupted sleep is to take in A.M. Given the efficacy of the drug, and the ability to minimize any annoying side effects, it is a good choice. While side effects are troublesome for some the results of untreated pneumonia can be far worse."

holmesymrs October 21, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Pneumonia: "A HORRIBLE DRUG. BEWARE I was diagnosed with pneumonia one week ago at the local emergency room. The ER doctor gave me 1 pill of Levaquin and I took 2 more from the pharmacy. I took a total of 3 500 MG pills that gave me constant, deep, sore pain in my arms from my shoulders to my elbows. The pain was so bad on day 3 that I could hardly drive a car, put on a seatbelt, put on a shirt or turn on a light switch. I stopped taking the drug and went to my family doctor for a different antibiotic. Neither the ER doctor or the family doctor knew anything about muscle and tendon problems. I'm really angry about this. I am over 60 with no big health problems and don't appreciate being poisoned."

HG1954 (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Taking for uti,taken before while I was on chemo/radiation worked great..9 months later I couldn't get out of bed my muscles in back neck hurt ,if I moved wrong muscle spasms took advil seemed to help sleep in chair all night. ..stopped taking...sucks cause I'm on vacation"

Lakehouselane699 October 1, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Sinusitis: "Works well, but I refrain from exercise when taking. It's the only antibiotic strong enough to cure bad sinus infections. Have taken it a couple of times for years with no issues except a little insomnia."

Beachrunner 63 September 30, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Sinusitis: "I get a really tough Sinus infection each October and Early Spring like clock work. If I let the infection go too long without going to a Physician - I can be in bed with thick phlegm, headache, full head, and extreme fatigue for several weeks. Levaquin is the only medication that get rid of these infections. Walk in clinics never prescribe it%u2026 so have to wait to get in with my own GP. In Mexico you can buy it without a prescript - as I did last year on vacation when I came down with a Sinus infection but hence- as alot of things in Mexico - was a scam%u2026. sugar pills. The only side effect I have ever had was tendon pain - that cleared up relatively soon. This is the go-to for anyone suffering Chronic Sinus infections."

pianoman1966 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 29, 2016