User Reviews for Levofloxacin

Also known as: Levaquin, Levaquin Leva-Pak

Learn more about Levofloxacin.

Streptococcal Infection 11 reviews 10 medications

Otitis Media 6 reviews 136 medications

3.2
Summary of Levofloxacin reviews 451 reviews 5.2

Reviews for Levofloxacin

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Bronchitis: "I am over 60 years old, have afib with medication, have rheumatoid arthritis on medication. I was given levaquin to take for bronchitis infections and ear infection previously treated with zpac. I only took two pills, and had tendon problems in my legs so bad I could barely walk, I quit taking immediately, it took a while to get over the pain in my legs. I should never have been given it due to pre existing conditions and age."

sicksandi October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Otitis Media: "Do not mix this medication with others. This is a powerful antibiotic and should only be taken if you've been extremely thorough with your doctor regarding the side effects and risks. I took this to treat a bilateral ear infection, sinus infection, and bronchitis. Due to the spread of the infection and the fact that I have had dozens of ear infections I'm willing to take the risks because if left untreated, my next ear infection could very well leave me deaf. This antibiotic was used after I had a round of amoxicillin that didn't do the job and we were getting desperate. It's been my third dose now and I feel great. I'm a little "off" but will only take this for a week due to the strength of the antibiotic."

Derrick rose September 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Pneumonia: "I was prescribed Levaquin for pneumonia. After two days I felt so much better. I had some lower back pain which I expected as I know medications well. I am a practicing RN for 23 years. My appetite was poor but has improved. I had some mouth pain with probable thrush related to the antibiotic. 750 mg x 5 days was worth it!!"

Nurcyn (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I took one dose of levaquin and had an immediate anaphylactic response - within minutes my eyes were swollen shut and I was gasping for breath...had a rescue squad not been close to me I would have died. This epic side effect left me with a permanent numb area on the left side of my face and dropping eyelid. From talking to a dr who was gathering information about quinolone reactions, the numbness on the left side of my face is from damage to the central nervous system. This class of drugs has been wisely banned in many countries."

Mrs Zefo September 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Was given Levaquin for lingering lung bronchial condition. After 7 days. I was feeling 10x worse. At first I thought I had the flu. Headache fever achy all over no energy just weak. Then my shoulder joints started hurting so bad I could cry. On a pain score 1-10 I was at a 15 and I've had 4 kids and rods in my back. I contacted the Dr who told me to stop taking this Medication. That iris known for pain in joints. Well I'm 2 weeks out. Still in pain all the way down both arms. Sleeping on a heating pad and taking pain medication. My original complaint seems minor compared to this. Dr says 4-6 weeks to get it out of your system. I am Miserable. Can't lift my arms. "

Tina P. (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "My infections have not been simple cases of uncomplicated UTI, they progressed rapidly into Pyelonephritis. Levaquin should not be the 1st med prescribed for various UNcomplicated infections (think "Resistance") nor should providers refuse to prescribe it. I understand the FDA black box warning, I accept that risk. Problem is, we can literally "google" any drug and find every possible side effect to convince ourselves that the medication is to blame. Yes, Levaquin can be riskier (elderly, drug interactions, etc.) I've fortunately only had diarrhea (most antibiotics cause this-Google that) as a side effect. My doctor recommended taking probiotics along with an antibiotic, and it helps. Google that, too. Levaquin isn't evil."

Twynlyn September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Otitis Media: "I took 3 doses of levaquin and stopped it. I now have joint pain, constant tendonitis and vision problems. I hold Drs accountable for all of the damage done by this class of drug. For God's sake levaquin is used to treat anthrax infections, it should NOT be used for ear infections, UTIs or sinus infections. It should only be used if the other option is death. I'm serious, if you have a life threatening infection, use it because you have nothing to lose from it but otherwise never take it."

Todd Z August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Pneumonia: "Levaquin and its generic are Fluoroqunilone antibiotics. The FDA has issued a Black Box Warning -- the most severe warning it can issue -- on all Fluoroquinolone antibiotics because they cause so many horrible, longterm side effects (like permanent tendonitis, vision problems, and more). Fluoroqunilones break down the mitochondria of cells, leading to cell death. This damage cannot be reversed."

TPera (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pneumonia: "I experienced the severe side effects of tendon pain. I would not advise taking this medicine unless death is the only option"

Roseville people (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Bladder Infection: "Last night I panicked from side effects from this antibiotic I'm taking for a UTI! The first couple days I felt a tingling/electric feeling & muscle twitches all over my body, was restless, and woke a few times during the night. Tonight was my 3rd dose & the electric pins and needles/skin crawling feeling was intense and affected my ENTIRE body (I could feel it in my ear lobes and my eyes!), muscle spasms & twitches, uncontrollable shaking, hard to get a deep breath, hard to swallow, hard to talk, my tongue felt fat, jaw clenching, stuttering, dry mouth, stiff calf muscles, the arches of my feet were twitching, my rib muscles were cramping, paranoia, hearing things, difficulty thinking. Hope no permanent damage! I'm a fit 29-year-old."

Kristina E. (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Levoflox great antibiotic against epididymitis, resolved @day 3 after start. 500mg one daily. Only some tendinitis, Otherwise healthy adult male"

Daddy88 (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took a total of two 750 mg pills in two days. The day after the first pill I woke up and both my calf muscles felt extremely sore and very tight. I decided to press forward because I wanted to clear up my infection. Later on at night after I took pill two, I had the sensation of pins and needles radiating throughout my body. I thought to myself, something's not right. I decided not to take anymore. When I woke up in the morning after day two, I could barely step down on my feet and walk. I've been off for 4 days now and my symptoms seem to be clearing up slowly. Very slowly. I'm unsure how people take this medication for 5, 7, 10 or even 14 days or more. It will ruin your muscles and tendons and can cause you to become disabled very quick"

purpleindigoviolet (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Prescribed 750mg for 5 days to treat UTI. It worked faster than ciprofloxacin, and no diarrhea."

OneWithFrequentUTI's (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pneumonia: "I was prescribed this medication after having chest X-rays showing I had pneumonia. Wasn’t given any other option. I first learned about a few side effects when I picked it up from the pharmacy. On day 2, I couldn’t sleep at all even though I was exhausted. After a few days I skipped it because I had pain in my feet and wanted to sleep. I was able to sleep after not taking the next dose for over 24 hours. Then I took half a dose then on until I finished. I seemed to feel better with just half (I’m small), but now over a week later and I have awful pain in my feet when I walk and if I walk more, it feels like the bottom inside of my feet are swollen even though it doesn’t appear they are swollen. Don't take this stuff!!"

AliLa (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pneumonia: "I am in severe pain after taking only 3 pills can hardly walk would that do that to me I am 75 years old can anything help me"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Sinusitis: "Took for sinus infection in 2009. At the time I wasn't warned that strenuous activity could cause permanent damage while on this med. I torn a muscle so bad it wouldn't heal. Immediately began getting neuropathy. It progressed and worsened over time. Now... after 8 years, it's finally taken over my body's nervous system and enlarged trunk lines of nerve paths all over body. Hands are numb, feet are numb, sharp pains all over, torn muscle is now a grizzle and emits sharp debilitating pain. Polyneuropathy is progressing slowing but surely. Had to stop working because of pain. Taking Lyrica and NSAIDs... doesn't help much. At end of road! No cure... doctors says it reminds them of exposure to agent orange... DO NOT USE THIS DRUG!"

Disabled... took 8 years! (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Pneumonia: "This is horrible medicine. My arms are so sore can hardly move them I have never ached so bad."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Kidney Infections: "I was prescribed this for a kidney infection. I took one dose. With that dose I felt so sick to my stomach, had horrible anxiety, my face felt hot and I felt sweaty. My calves of my legs also felt sore. I stopped after that first dose because I felt so awful and read some pretty scary side effects! I went to a different Dr and he put me on doxy which is much safer."

Koober1 (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Sinusitis: "DO NOT USE THIS DRUG!!! I was prescribed Lavaquin for a sinus infection over 2 years ago & I am still suffering the side effects. The tendon pain was SO severe during & many months after finishing this med. Now, 2 & 1/2 years later, I still have severe tendon pain, stabbing, hot pain mostly in my wrists, hands & arms. I do not sleep through the night, due to the horrific pain & it persists constantly throughout the days! I have Achilles problems now & can not walk or stand up for any length of time. I am sure I have permanent tendon damage from this drug, which my doctor denies can be caused by this drug & wants to do further tests for autoimmune disease! Stay away from this drug it is poison and ruined my quality of life!!!!!!"

Another big pharm victim (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Had severe sinus problems tried over the counter medicines didn't work diagnosed with bacterial acute sinusitis. Was given medication of levoflaxacin 500 mg . Am feeling better but lots of side effects. Stomach upset depression anxiety. Please do not take unless its the last medicine."

Atiqurrehman1979 (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Bronchitis: "Had to stop after three days due to Achilles tenderness. Achilles still sore three weeks after stopping drug."

Roostertail59 June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "I was given this medication at 500mg for 5 days from an emergency doctor. This is day 6 and I am just now able to walk across the room without intense pain, nausea, dizziness. I am sore all over and weak, I have not be able to go outside due to the Sunlight. I have 2 more days before I can go out in sunlight. I did not know this the first day I took it. I went to the prescription shop and my skin felt like it was on fire and I was in the car. I have had night sweats, intense pain in my arms, shoulders , back, legs, and abdominal pain. Also check drug interactions before taking anything else. It is not recommended to use aspirin or other pain killers with this drug."

Feeling sore and weak (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Kidney Infections: "I took levoFLOXacin for ten days as the third antibiotic for a kidney infection. The first antibiotic cleared one bacteria and the 2nd and 3rd cleared up the 2nd bacteria. The only adverse reaction was to levoFLOXacin. About day 6, I woke during the night with pain in my right arm, from the upper arm to the top of my hand. I thought I'd slept on it wrong. But the pain continued, mostly in the upper arm until 2 days after I completed the regimen. Now, 2 weeks later, I continue to experience pain . If I carry anything the least bit heavy, the upper arm hurts. Yesterday I used it as little as possible but did use my right arm. I had some pain all the way to the top if my hand again. I had reaction to Cipro. I shouldn't have taken this drug."

Right arm (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Pneumonia: "I had been on another antibiotic for 3 weeks. When I went in for a recheck, I still had pneumonia, so was put on Levaquin for 5 days. The first day I took it in the morning & it made me light headed, so I decided to take it @ night. It would cause me to wake up throughout the night. I would also have a burning sensation in my chest & get hot. I went back in for a checkup & the x-ray showed that some parts had improved, but some parts were worse. I was referred to a pulmonologist. I feel like it was too strong for my body."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "Took 500mg once a day for one week. I was very tired and a bit jittery, otherwise no issues. I'm finally over my bronchitis."

Cjr13 May 31, 2017