User Reviews for Cephalexin

Also known as: Keflex

Cephalexin has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 422 ratings on Drugs.com. 52% of those users who reviewed Cephalexin reported a positive effect, while 28% reported a negative effect.

Skin or Soft Tissue Infection
10.0
Summary of Cephalexin reviews 6.5 422 reviews

Reviews for Cephalexin

Bopsy May 10, 2021

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “I developed an infection in my fingernail after scrubbing a floor; overnight it involved my whole finger with infection. My doctor gave me Cephalexin 500mg 4x a day. The first day was not too bad although I was beginning to develop a headache, drowsiness, and lost my desire to eat. By day 4 my stomach was swollen and cramping, I had terrible nausea, a constant headache and my eyes felt irritated and burning. At that point I had 7 more days to go on the medicine and could not face it. I called the doctor and asked to be switched to another antibiotic. I could not go to work or even get out of bed at that point.”

Justin Boyce May 7, 2021

For Bacterial Infection: “I was going through severe anxiety, heart palpitations, tachycardia, body numbness, going in and out of another world. I had new allergys, twitching when I would almost fall asleep, 21 ER visits later I found the answer. The antibiotic I was on for tooth infection caused severe ulcers all threw out my GI track, it can cause all of that. I almost had a couple heart attacks before I realized this. Here is what my treatment is consisting of, beta blockers to control the heart palpitations ( you need them or it will get bad) Ativan to control the anxiety (this too will get worse) Steroids to fix your mental state, reduce intestinal swelling, and get your immune system back on track so your allergies stop (this too will get worse) and a PPI pill to stop the stomach acid so they can heal. Also I'm waiting for a scope treatment from a Gastro Doctor. I'm hoping I can make it until then but for anybody else experiencing what I did please get it addressed ASAP, I was told by every doctor it was anxiety and even banned from a ER”

Noname · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2021

For Bladder Infection: “This antibiotic caused me to bleed vaginally a lot to where I thought I was very sick. It caused cramping and back pain.”

lh · Taken for less than 1 month April 12, 2020

Keflex (cephalexin) for Bladder Infection: “I have suffered with urine infections on and off for years and was always given macrobid or trimethprim which never cleared it up for long or completely - and also gave me severe side effects. A new doctor started me on keflex and it has cleared it up properly - very minimal side effects if any”

Ann · Taken for less than 1 month November 1, 2019

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: “I'm 68 years old & went to an urgent care because my Dr was on vacation. I knew I had bronchitis & an upper respiratory infection. I know after all these years if I have an infection or a cold or flu. I was also a pharmacy tech. A nurse practitioner said I just had flu symstems & wouldn't give me an antibiotic. Why oh why don't some young Drs in the medical field don't believe in antibiotics? What generation has died from antibiotics??? I had waited an hour to get in & she told me I had the flu? I was in so much pain from deep coughing & demanded to see another Dr. I said I'm not leaving without some kind of antibiotic & that I knew the difference between the flu from an infection. They finally gave me amoxicillin. It didn't work for me this time (It usually works for sinus & ear infections.) I went to my Dr & she gave me Keflex. This is a great for bronchitis. I'm so upset at these young Drs who don't believe in antibiotics... People will end up in the hospital or worse. It's a disgrace.!”

Fatima · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2020

Keflex (cephalexin) for Bladder Infection: “So I ended a Saturday at the ER, I ended up having a urinary infection a severe one. The PA prescribed Keflex 500 mg 7 Days - it really helped after 2 days but I noticed that it does bring out side effects on myself. I feel nauseous, tired, agitated, eyes feel hot, headaches even though I took 2 Advil it was still there. I also feel super anxious, I been having mood swings, I feel more sad and somehow more depressed than I’ve have been in the past. And I still have one more day to go”

Hermajesteee · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2019

Keflex (cephalexin) for Bladder Infection: “I started with a bladder infection on Sunday. I was urinating every 10-15 minutes and it was so painful and I felt a lot of pressure. I called the doctor and I was put on Bactrim on Monday night. The bactrim gave me the spins, constipation and anxiety. It was a nightmare!!! After 5 doses of Bactrim, my infection kept getting worse. I called the doctor and they switched me to Keflex. I started the Keflex at 9 pm and in less than 24 hours I felt much better. No side effects except a little bit of nausea and dizziness so remember to eat when you take it. It is a miracle drug for urinary infections and bladder infections.”

LadyMadonna March 10, 2013

For Bacterial Infection: “I've seen patient reviews where many terrible side effects of this drug were listed. After that, I was afraid to start taking Cephalexin! But my pharmacist said Keflex has been on the market for decades & most people have no problem with it. I'm happy to report that I am one of those people! The only side effect I am having is a lot of smelly gas & very smelly bowel movements.(a result of the bad bacteria dying off, perhaps?). But that's a small price to pay to get rid of the infection in my ankle, so I'm quite satisfied. Word to the wise: I think that most of the patient reviews we see online are from unsatisfied patients. Most people that have no problem with a medicine probably don't take the time to post, so keep that in mind.”

Leena February 17, 2021

For Bladder Infection: “Reading these reviews prior to taking this scared me. I had to call my urgent cares after care department and local pharmacy a million times before actually taking it. Let me tell you..IT WAS GREAT! I have a history of anxiety and panic attacks and I especially get nervous taking new drugs. I'm a 23 y/o female that is completely healthy. I got a minor UTI from being in the pool and was prescribed Cephalexin 500mg for 7 days. I had panic attacks the first few days after taking it because of my FEAR of taking the drug and especially after reading these crazy reviews. After my 5th dose, I was completely fine. I finally calmed down and realized that it was legit my anxiety. I actually had no real side effects from this antibiotic thank God! My infection cleared and I feel great. I hope this eases someones anxiety. I wish I had read something like this before taking it. Stay well everyone!!”

Anonymous May 9, 2011

Keflex (cephalexin) for Bladder Infection: “It helped in getting rid of my bladder infection but I was out in the sun for half the day doing some work outside, and I got horribly burnt and a bad sun rash. So just try to avoid the sun while on this medication.”

All gone · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2014

Keflex (cephalexin) for Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “I had recurring boils in one area. They would show up randomly so the dr. was never able to take a culture since they would come to a head and then pop whenever. He put me on a 20 day regimen of Keflex (500) and another ointment antibiotic that he told me to dab into my nose. He said for some odd reason, boils seem to start in the nose. I followed the instructions and had a minor recurrence several months later. I went immediately to see him so he put me back on Keflex. These boils were clustered and leaving scars in the area. They haven't recurred and the scars are gone. Since I caught them starting the 2nd time, they never had a chance to come to a head because I stayed on top of it. I highly recommend it for a skin bacterial infection.”

M&M · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2021

Keflex (cephalexin) for Bladder Infection: “Had a really bad UTI and was prescribed Keflex. I have a lot of anxiety when it comes to taking medications. I take Keflex with Zofran just as a precaution and also with food before I take it. No side effects besides some gas here and there. After taking the first dose my UTI symptoms started to go away within the first five or so hours. Keflex is always my go to when I have a UTI, it works so well!! Also after taking a pill I drink about 32oz of water with it”

eisheth666 · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2020

Keflex (cephalexin) for Bladder Infection: “I was prescribed Keflex twice a day for 7 days for UTI but I only lasted 4 days. Before I took this medication I had some anxiety, but no other mental health issues besides my ADHD. The 2nd day I took it I became psychotic. I was severely depressed, paranoid, convinced everyone was talking about me or working against me. I cried all day. My mind was racing & convincing me of all kinds of delusions about myself & those around me. I was having vivid disturbing nightmares. I couldn’t eat anything. Constantly felt like I was going to vomit & slept from the time I got home from work until the next morning when I got up for work. I have been on antibiotics before, but this was my first AND LAST time I will ever take this.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2012

Keflex (cephalexin) for Bacterial Infection: “I was prescribed Keflex (Cephalexin) after having surgery to prevent infection, and wanted to add to the list of side effects. They do not mention acid reflux, which I had every time I took the capsule (4 times a day, for 10 days). Also women need to take a probiotic while on this medication as it decreases natural flora and you can get yeast infection. I learned this the hard way by not eating enough yogurt while on this medication and not taking any probiotics. Just wanted to give a heads up and hopefully spare many women this highly uncomfortable experience.”

Lindsay Rae July 21, 2014

For Bacterial Infection: “I came down with a bad urinary tract infection 3 days ago and I was put on Bactrim twice a day. I have had several UTIs before and it has worked in the past. However, this time around 2 days after the medicine I wasn't seeing improvements so I went back to the doctor and switched to cephalexin. Last night was my first dose and I woke up this morning feeling completely normal again. I like to read these reviews so I figured I'd post this to let everyone else know. Cephalexin works well.”

Tom · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2019

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “I am writing this review because Cephalexin has saved my life a number of times and while that does not mean it will necessarily do the same for you, please know that despite all the negative stories you will read here to which you must pay attention as well, I am still here on this earth as a result of having taken it and continue to take it when necessary. Thank God it DOES work for some.”

rindarita February 17, 2009

Keflex (cephalexin) for Bladder Infection: “I usually never have side effects from antibiotics, but I had moderate dizziness and nausea. The nausea is not bad enough to send me to bed all day, but it does interfere with my daily schedule and leaves me extremely worn out and fatigued. It is frustrating. I have to take it four times a day for ten days.”

TexasLiz7 September 17, 2015

For Bladder Infection: “I get UTI's every other month, due to an autoimmune disease. Nothing works well for me except Cephalexin 500 mg by Lupin, two per day for 5 days. No side effects at all, but some reviews here list 4 times daily. I wouldn't ever take that much, because it isn't necessary for me.”

Lillixgirl September 15, 2020

For Kidney Infections: “Okay so now after nearly two weeks of getting diagnosed with a Kidney Infection and of me coming here to read the reviews (a lot of me crying) of how it works for everyone else. here is mine. I was taking one cephalexin pill 500 mg twice a day for 14 days I am on day 13; I didn’t start feeling better until day 4 which scared me because it seem that I was healing slower than others. I still had kidney pain at day 10 but now I don’t. This pill after 5 day’s made me sleepy and nauseous but that’s about it. I did find that on day 12 I started to pee out blood again but I knew it came from vagina by the discharge with it so I ended up getting BV with this pill which doesn’t surprise me it is antibiotic. So please know you may not feel better until four of five days every one heals differently. I wish you a speedy recovery :)”

Vegasgirl22 July 2, 2014

Keflex (cephalexin) for Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “Got multiple venomous spider bites on left buttocks... Turned into a staph infection. Before taking the medicine I was in so much pain I could barely sit or lay down. Been on the medicine for two days now at 500mg twice a day (along with Epsom salt baths) and it has already GREATLY improved my infection, the sores, and my ability to sit!”

Shedoc · Taken for 10 years or more April 26, 2017

Keflex (cephalexin) for Bladder Infection: “I have a double whammy: I have interstitial cystitis (which feels like a constant bladder infection), and on top of that I'm prone to actual bladder infections. I've learned to be able to tell the difference between a bladder infection and a cystitis flare up. I have a lot of drug allergies and can not take sulfa drugs or Cipro, which are commonly prescribed for bladder infections. Keflex has been the only antibiotic that I can take that doesn't give me any side effects and gets rid of the infection. It's saved my bacon on numerous occasions. I also prophylactically take Acidophilus orally to avoid yeast infections. It all works like a charm. I have NEVER had a bad side effect from Keflex.”

Dee Reyes · Taken for less than 1 month April 12, 2016

For Bladder Infection: “I felt a UTI along with blood in my urine coming on right after I returned from vacation and contacted my doctor at 8am, he prescribed me Cephalexin 500mg 1 pill 3 times a day I started at 10am and by the end of the day the blood was gone and the pain substantially subsided. I'm still having the urination urges but I'm on the meds for 10 days total. I'm pretty confident it's gonna get the job done completely. I hate UTIs and don't get them frequently but if I get another I definitely would take Cephalexin again”

shivarni December 31, 2015

For Bladder Infection: “My symptoms : Strange pain at the tip of urethra (only at the end of my urination) and sudden increase in frequency of urination. Treatment: After three days of pain went to doctor she recommended cephalexin twice a day for 7 days (plus plenty of water !) Effects: Pain started to reduce within 2 days. Frequency is reducing slowly. This medicine definitely works!”

T · Taken for less than 1 month August 21, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: “Prescribed cephalexin 500mg four times daily for seven days. On day three and infection is almost completely gone and feel 10 times better than have in a month. No side effects what soever. Only wish had went and started earlier.”

Confused · Taken for less than 1 month October 21, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: “I get impetigo in/on my nose practically every year for the past few years which is odd because I am not a child nor do I come in contact with any. I’ve taken cephalexin four or five times for this infection and never had any evident symptoms, I thought it worked great actually. However, this past time I suddenly got terrible anxiety that ruined my life for about a week. Shaking, racing thoughts, the whole deal. The worst I’ve ever had- I couldn’t even watch TV alone at home without having to fight it off. Something inside of me told me to look up reviews for the medication and I actually teared up reading that other people experienced similar things and this wasn’t just my life now. I stopped taking the medication early and feel almost back to normal already. I hope this helps someone!”

LuvNature October 15, 2019

Keflex (cephalexin) for Bacterial Infection: “My Endodontist put me on Keflex (Cephalexin) 500 mg per day 4 X per day for a bacterial infection for a root canal that had to be retreated. I was skeptical as I often cannot finish antibiotics due to the awful side effects. I am very sensitive to medicine. This one has had no side effects for me. With that being said, I do take a probiotic (florajen) several hours before taking Keflex. The probiotic is taken 1 x per day while on antibiotics and is found in the pharmacy as it has to be refrigerated. No prescription is required for probiotic.”

OneSickGirl December 13, 2016

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: “Hello guys! So I went to a local urgent care place on Saturday complaining about headache, chest congestion, cough, runny nose, and sneezing. I informed the doctor on duty that I've already taken my flu shot and I really don't think what I have is the flu. So after the typical check up, he diagnosed me with acute bronchitis/sinusitis and prescribed me Cephalexin 500mg 2xday for 10 days, today is my third day taking the meds and I feel better already. Not to mention, I think I might've had a vaginal bacterial infection or uti and that has cleared as well. Definitely killed 2 birds with 1 stone. Ohh...and the Dr. gave me a prescription for an extra 10 days...definitely will be saving them! Although it's not recommended, I'll use them again!!”

Zillakami February 17, 2019

Keflex (cephalexin) for Bacterial Infection: “I was prescribed 500mg (Keflex) four times a day, for ten days. This was for a boil that I've had for eight years, I thought it was a pimple but when it got worse then ever I saw a doctor who confirmed it as a boil which then proceeded to try lancing and squeezing it I almost become unconscious this is how bad it has become. Anyways you are here for the drug review, the only side effect that I noticed was a slight tired feeling. I have anxiety so I didn't take the pills until around a week after being prescribed for a fear of side effects, there is nothing to be worried about trust that it will help you. Now my boil is completely gone and I can relax.”