User Reviews for Cephalexin

Also known as: Biocef, Daxbia, Keflex, Keftab, Panixine, Zartan

Learn more about Cephalexin.

Bone infection 1 reviews 65 medications

Pharyngitis 2 reviews 47 medications

4.5
Summary of Cephalexin reviews 192 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Cephalexin

For Bladder Infection: "Was experiencing pressure in lower abdomen and urge to urinate frequently(approx 2 x's per hour sometimes more) Tried amoxicillin which did nothing. Was given cephalexin 500mg 2x's daily. First 3 days noticed a change. Only issue was a headache. Day 4 urination frequency was decreasing (once every 2-2 and 1/2 hrs) and most pressure/pain was gone. Continued to drink water, cranberry juice and kefir to restore good bacteria and prevent yeast infection/and/or another uti..apparently it's common for it to recur due to wiping out positive bacteria. Will finish 7 day regimen and start taking "Friendly Flora" in hopes of preventing future issues. I believe this antibiotic is working great & hope it knocks out infection completely."

KatJhn February 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "This drug has worked very well! I had a skin infection, with a urinary Tract infection. I was put on the medicine for 10 days, 2 times a day. The first couple of doses, I didn't think that it was really working, but after 4 days of taking the medicine, then bumps started to go away & I could urinate comfortably without any burning. On the 8th day, the bumps have completely dried up and new skin is forming on top. I didn't really experience any bad side effects. The only side effects I had was MINOR diarrhea and fatigue. I would definitely recommend this medicine. My only wish would be that it would do a better job at clearing the bumps more effectively!"

Jada3680 February 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "5 days ago I was diagnosed with facial cellulitis I went to the er and they gave me cephalexin and bactrim. I was told to take 2 cephalexin and 4 bactrim within the past few days of taking both antibiotics my rate has gone up my jaw jitters a lot I know have a fever and my left arm feels like I pulled every single muscle in it plus I noticed 5 new blisters on my face that go red and are as hard as a marble till it feels up with puss and bursts. The only good thing about this pill is that it helped clear two parts of where the cellulitis was on my face but now I have these new symptoms and I'm not sure what to do."

Aframbar (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Keflex (cephalexin) for Bladder Infection: "I do not understand why doctors, frequently, prescribe Keflex for bladder or urinary tract infections, considering how many side effects it creates. Why not just plain, old Amoxicillin? I, all too frequently, get an U.T.I. Usually it is a very mild infection. When I use it, I get muscle pain, back pain, anxiety, and agitation. There must be a gentler, kinder, and safer antibiotic to be used to kill bacteria. I wish I knew the name of one. I would, then, ask my doctor or an ER doctor to prescribe it for me. I am tired of doctors telling me it is the best antibiotic to use for an U.T.I. It makes me sick! "

TwoDimes (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I started on this medication and noticed rapid heart beat. I hate it - it makes me feel miserable I'm on 4 doses a day of 500mg. This makes it to difficult for me. I even took my blood pressure medication no help and I can't sleep. I will go to ER tomorrow for another solution if possible. This is so scary Medication too strong for me."

Anonymous February 6, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I'm not sure if it's working was prescribed 2 a day for 10 days I get cystic acne and I have broke out worse since taking it makes me bloated and tired but can't sleep also makes my skin super dry I just finished my last dose I hope it's one of those gets worse before it gets better, just try to get accutane."

Alei crow January 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bacterial Infection: "My large toe on my right foot just started hurting. Throbbing pain. Then turned red and started swelling. Said it was infected and prescribed Reflex 500mg plus Bactrim. I was afraid to take both at once but figured I had no choice. 3 days have passed & feeling fine. The pain is gone from my foot but it still looks disgusting. Have a week left of both medications to go. Can't say how well they work yet since it I haven't finished the prescribed dosage. I do eat with each pill & drink plenty of water. Mostly yogurt. I have taken Bactrim and Keflex before but never together. Still a bit nervous on both!"

SandiBeach22 January 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Causes NASTY wind and diarrhea. Couldn't imagine what 4 a day would do to me. I'm only taking 2 a day and already seeing progress. How could people handle fourth a day!?"

Marthamayhooviay (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bacterial Infection: "I have an ingrown toenail infection and on the first dose it started to feel better, but, not any better with next 4 doses. However, I ate as directed but on dose 4 it felt like I had what felt like a bubble under my left upper back and front ... as if I needed to belch but when I did the pain went go away for about 30 seconds and came right back. It really felt like I was having heart issues. I was suppose to take 500 mg 3 times daily for 7 days. I cannot get the 3rd dose in a day, but, I felt horrible ... headaches too. I'm not going to take anymore and I'll call Dr. tomorrow."

Preciousjg (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Keflex (cephalexin) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Keflex is the greatest , I have been using it for 50yrs, until recently some people have polluted doctors minds that antibiotic use can be bad I,ve used it for 50 years it has saved my life more than once,recently my doc of 50 yrs retired,and I had to get another doc,its one of those that go by the stupid books,most are garabge,now I cannot get this medicine no more,so I have been sick now for 3months thanks to these idiots that don't have a clue what they are talking about."

patti benninghoven (taken for 10 years or more) December 30, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I was prescribed 500mg 4 times a day for 10 days to treat my folliculitis after shaving with a bad razor. The first day I felt okay, but I'm on day 4 and I already feel like crap. I feel dizzy, extremely fatigued to the point where I feel like a lifeless potato, nausea, lightheadedness, and some mild abdominal pain here and there. I pretty much don't feel like doing anything. The folliculitis seems to be slowly improving, though it flares up again when I wake up so I'm not entirely sure if this antibiotic is working. Might discontinue it if side effects get worse and try to get a different antibiotic"

ihateinfections (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "My 17 year old son is allergic to sulfa based antibiotics (he gets hives everywhere), but he keeps getting staph infections (like boils) so this time he was given Cephalexin. He got through his whole 10 days of taking it twice daily, just finished last Thursday, The negative side effects kicked in Saturday, Sunday & Monday. Stomach pain, chills, fever, tightness in chest, frequent urination, restlessness, anxiousness and sleeplessness. He's really freaked out about it. The inability to sleep is what's actually most upsetting because it makes you feel more anxious and crazy after a few days. The crappy thing is - he just has to wait and wait until it clears out of his system. Poor kid. This sucks."

Mom of Five (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I was prescribed Cephalexin for a soft tissue infection in a finger. The drug did in fact, reduce some of the swelling. However, generally speaking, my reaction was not what I would label as positive. After the fifth day of a seven day cycle, I woke to find a major outbreak on one half of my face. On a sidenote, I was prescribed Tetracycline as a teenager for acne. And what I woke to was a flashback of early teen acne Regardless, I brought it the attention of my healthcare provider. The general response was......nothing. The nurse, the doctor, the PA. None of them even reacted, much less responded to my concern. In the end, I have had a serious acne outbreak at 53. Appears I am allergic to Cephalexin."

Tommy TuTone (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Hello guys! So I went to a local urgent care place on Saturday complaining about headache, chest congestion, cough, runny nose, and sneezing. I informed the doctor on duty that I've already taken my flu shot and I really don't think what I have is the flu. So after the typical check up, he diagnosed me with acute bronchitis/sinusitis and prescribed me Cephalexin 500mg 2xday for 10 days, today is my third day taking the meds and I feel better already. Not to mention, I think I might've had a vaginal bacterial infection or uti and that has cleared as well. Definitely killed 2 birds with 1 stone. Ohh...and the Dr. gave me a prescription for an extra 10 days...definitely will be saving them! Although it's not recommended, I'll use them again!!"

OneSickGirl December 13, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bladder Infection: "I have urine infection with pain and blood . Doctor gave Keflex 500mg 3 times per day on 7 day course. After the third tablet on first day, the pain is almost gone and there is no more blood. Very happy and will continue to finish the whole course 7 days. Keflex works very well for me."

JenTan December 9, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bladder Infection: "Started keflex oral 10ml 3x per day for 7 days. On day 3 now and almost symptom free! So far no side effects - hope it stays that way! If you can't swallow pills like me or if pills don't agree with you, try the liquid. Mine is flavored!"

kohta (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bacterial Infection: "I started taking Cephalexin to prevent any bacterial infection before it got to any parts of my body. 500mg 4xday, 10 days. The underside of my right breast split and it was a mean-looking gash. Have no idea why it happened as I've never had any issues at all wearing my bras. And no. No underwires and have had them for years, again, without any issues. :) Doc took a culture and viola! I'm on pills that come out of a bottle that smells like someone trapped a fart in it. I ended up with diarrhea, at least 3 times a day and today, I am trying out a pro-biotic to see if that will help in any way. Good luck to the newly prescribed. Different for everyone. :)"

droolingtiger November 22, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bladder Infection: "Commonly known as Keflex. I had burning when urinating, urgency, retention, bloating and went to the ER. The ER MD diagnosed me with bladder cystitis (progression from a run-of-the-mill UTI from -regretfully- ignoring the symptoms). I was prescribed 500MG Keflex 4 times a day, 2000MG/2G daily. Never took Keflex before, but I know it's been around a while, and works wonderfully. This is actually my first day (second dose in). I already feel a difference. It's true - this drug does make you sleepy (for some odd reason). I have not felt nauseous yet. Must take this with food, as always with any antibiotic - plenty of water too. Smells like rotten eggs, so toss it back and swallow."

Kristen the Nurse (: (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bladder Infection: "Cephalexin is the only anti biotic that clears UTI'S for me. The GP's always tell me to try others but inevitably just prolong my infection until I finally get cephalexin. No noticeable side effects for me and always do the job. I literally cry with relief when I get these as I know within 24hrs I can get on with my life!"

Amanda4343 November 7, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I got a flu shot and the next morning I woke up with fever, pounding headache and a large red swelling on my arm with streaks that connected to the lymph nodes. I was diagnosed with cellulitis. I was clearly not swabbed well enough, if at all (can't remember). I started on 3 doses of Cephalexin 500 per day, but got worse the first day and ended up in ER. The ER doc bumped me up to 4 doses. It has pretty much cleared it up. The exhaustion has been horrific, and at times I'm dizzy. No diarrhea, but sometimes I become extremely nauseous. It strikes me out of nowhere. I find that taking Zantac helps. I'm also really, achy and all around unwell. One pill to go and I can't wait. But, the stuff works or I'd have developed sepsis, so all good."

Lindacw November 3, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Kidney Infections: "I have a recurrent UTI and was put on 1 x 500mg capsule at night, so I've been taking them for some time and the only complaint I have is the terrible smell off them. I usually have to hold my breath before I open up the package then shove it in my mouth. I would say it should be good for you unless you have some other illness that would cause you problems as it hasn't made me have any side effects."

Cat_Mc October 21, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I had scalp acne fo 6 months, but several doctors said it wasn't an infection. So I used every, single known topical stuff, nothing worked from anti inflammatories to natural products. I went to the gp last week with a urine infection, I said will it clear up my scalp also, yes, but only if it's an infection, which he doubted. . And, whoopee my scalp has cleared up and I didn't experience any side effects. Go with your gut diagnosis, you know yourself better than anyone.. Couldn't recommend this antibiotic highly enough."

Scuba1 (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bladder Infection: "Keflex works on me for UTI/bladder infections, but it gives me frequent diarrhea and makes me exhausted! I also get really bad dry mouth while taking it, too."

a_detar September 26, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bladder Infection: "I am 9 weeks and was prescribed Keflex. It has worked, however I have also had major diarrhea everyday. Other than that, no other side effects for me.."

Shenata123 September 9, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bacterial Infection: "well I had hair follicle first and I irritated it by putting cotton underneath bandages,ended up with nasty secondary bacterial infection(3 times in 2 years)though to be honest still have no idea if its hair follicle and getting secondary infection because of bandages.been to this pvt. male dermatologist in city. he said its hair follicle,saw my medical history and still prescribed this new to my body antibiotics for secondary bacterial infection I repeat it was not staph infection I am really not happy with him all above he was unusual anyway. well infection is fine but got HORRIBLE side effects I got rashes all over my body, difficulty in breathing. so went to G.P in Taringa she replaced the antibiotic with "E- M.." lets see hope 4 d best"

axel90 August 28, 2016