User Reviews for Cephalexin

Also known as: Biocef, Daxbia, Keflex, Keftab, Panixine, Zartan

Learn more about Cephalexin.

Bone infection 1 reviews 65 medications

Pharyngitis 2 reviews 47 medications

4.5
Summary of Cephalexin reviews 216 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Cephalexin

Keflex (cephalexin) for Bacterial Infection: "Worked for bacterial UTI but I got dizzy and numbing on face and had horrible experience. I would not take it again"

Moirala October 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I saw a doctor and he gave me this , take 4 daily for a week! , I'm on day 6 & I feel so lost and can't even think straigh. It had diarrhoea and feel so tired where I can't even stay up without wanting to just close my eyes & also dizzy and headaches , I think I got a high dose for something kinda little , I have this small blister from breastfeeding and the doctor must have thought it was something else but so far it kinda helped healed it but the side effects so bad , I'm going back to the doctor cause I can't take these meds anymore I hate this feeling"

Feel so bad (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keflex (cephalexin) for Kidney Infections: "I had a bad kidney infection and was prescribed this in the ER to take 3 times a day for 7 days, I hardly had any side effects at all. The only ones I had were vaginal itching which felt like a yeast infection, really bad nightmares, and some sneezing. Other than that I love this and would definitely take it again, kidney pain was gone within 2 days."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Kidney Infections: "After having a bad reaction to "something else" ER doctor put me on this "stuff. The bad reaction to this was even worse than the one I had with the other drug. Now I'm coming up to dealing with a 4th UTI, and hoping this time around, they can find something that won't make me sick as a dog"

Diane195218 October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Got this for an infected piercing. Still have bump in my ear and it made me breakout soooo bad."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "The first antibiotic I took did nothing, so my doctor put me on Cephalexin AN. Within a few hours my symptoms started to subside, probably about 5 hours later. I'm now on the second day and I feel back to normal after 11 days of what seemed like hell. It makes me feel slightly nauseated but it's worth it. Make sure your taking probiotics as antibiotics kill good and bad bacteria."

Louise123456789 September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "The last time I've taken keflex was 4 years ago have always taken it with no problems. I just got a infected ingrown toenail and I've had it for 2 months the doc gave me keflex which I take it 2 times a day. I'm on my 3rd day and I've noticed some things I've never had before. I feel a bit dizzy, I'm hot, heart racing more then normal and going to toilet more often. I think they might've changed the drug or ingredients I wish they just leave things alone and to stop short cutting things"

shonee August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "This medicine was effective in curing a UTI during pregnancy but it was also effective as causing upset stomach and vomiting. I am allergic to penicillin and had no allergic reactions to Keflex but it did cause me to feel very ill by the second pill of the day. I took this medicine 3x a day for 8 days and by the second day, I knew we would have stomach issues. I took plenty of probiotics but it's just a very powerful medicine."

Harrimo August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "The doctor prescribed 500 mg, four times a day for seven days as a treatment for an infected mosquito bite. The first day was fine but by the second day I had severe stomach pains, diarrhea and shortness of breath. I have decided that I will never take this medicine again."

Forpeople (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keflex (cephalexin) for Bacterial Infection: "I had a really bad cold and viral bronchitis and I ended up with nasal cellulitis of all things (infection in my nose and on my face). I took this medication and on day three, it was clearing up nicely and by day 5 the infection is gone. I had virtually no side-effects other than sleepiness, but I think that's normal when you're fighting an infection. I took 500 mg x 4 times a day and I had no stomach or intestinal issues at all. It was great."

AndieReviewer July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Drug worked to cure my infection caused by a spider bite, but the smell of the pill made me so nauseous I dreaded taking it."

Jakki6696 June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Finished a week on Keflex for a skin infection on my leg, so severe I could not put weight on my leg. Back to ER put on Clindamycin 300mg x 3 for 10 days. Come back if no improvement after 3 days. After 3 days pain has improved swelling better, must be working. Makes me tired, and a little dizzy. Take probiotics for any GI issues. Always take with food."

pitsy (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I used this pill for 2 days and my face cleared up I still got 5 day To go 4 times a day"

Anonymous May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Kidney Infections: "I am a 59 yr old female and was diagnosed with a kidney infection. One week prior I had minor UTI symptoms two random days for an hour or so. One week later I was rushed to ER temp 103.2 severe shivering and shakes and flu like pains. Now I'm on On cephalexin 48 hours. No fever at all. Extremely bloated. Slightly nauseous, abdominal pain, minimal body pain. Knocked fever right out. This stinks, but I think this was a great call on the antibiotic. I'm taking it 3x daily 500mg"

Dmvgs May 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "The first day I took it my skin felt flushed and I had a bad headache and dizziness (almost chickened out then). But these effects improved as I continued to take the medicine. I was prescribed 500mg three times a day for 5 days for trace leukocytes in my urine. I've never taken cephalexin before, and I'm very sensitive to medications (slow metabolizer) and already cannot take several antibiotics due to allergies (cipro, nitrofuratoin and sulfa). So I'm thankful that I seem to be okay with the cephalexin (I'm running out of antibiotics that I can take!). I haven't noticed any other side effects, not even diarrhea. As for my symptoms, some have improved but not all. I only have 2 pills left but not all of my symptoms went away yet. I hope it works."

42yoWoman (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I got a bad infection from shaving my bikini area with a bad razor and my doctor put me on this medicine to help clear it up. I have to take two pills 3 times a day. I've been on it only for 2 days now and it's working! I can now pee without my urine touching the bumps and it burning like crazy. Only problem I'm having so far is mild tiredness-not so crazy I just want to go to sleep. I can actually pull through with staying up- and diaherra."

Minnie411 May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keflex (cephalexin) for Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Prescribed 500 mg 4x a day for 10 days for an infected ingrown hair on my bikini line. I've gotten lots of ingrown hair infections in the past and usually just let them run their course, but taking this was SO much better! Cleared up by day 4, absolutely no side effects, even drinking alcohol went well. Only giving it a 9 because waking up to take it every 6 hours was very annoying, especially once it seemed to have gotten better."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keflex (cephalexin) for Bladder Infection: "I have a double whammy: I have interstitial cystitis (which feels like a constant bladder infection), and on top of that I'm prone to actual bladder infections. I've learned to be able to tell the difference between a bladder infection and a cystitis flare up. I have A LOT of drug allergies and can not take sulfa drugs or Cipro, which are commonly prescribed for bladder infections. Keflex has been the ONLY antibiotic that I can take that doesn't give me any side effects AND gets rid of the infection. It's saved my bacon on numerous occasions. I also prophylactically take Acidophilus orally and douche with plain yogurt to avoid yeast infections. It all works like a charm. I have NEVER had a bad side effect from Keflex."

Shedoc (taken for 10 years or more) April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Had a swollen foot. Dr. prescribed Cephalexin, 500 mg 3 times a day. I quit the 4th. day as my excreted urine was less than 2 Tablespoons per trip to bathroom. I had decreased kidney function prior to taking Cephalexin and the prescribing doctor should pay more attention to my records. In my case it can cause kidney failure. My BUN Blood Urea Nitrogen was elevated BEFORE taking the Cephalexin. I had stepped on a piece of glass and nothing major. From now on I will research any prescription that doctors give me. Very, very disappointed in being prescribed this!"

maryedurkin April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I had a blister get infected on a cruise ship. The on board Dr put me on Cephalexen 4x daily at 500mg for 5 days. I've had insomnia from the get go. While awake, I had dizzy spells often, and bursts of anxiety. On night 3, I developed chills, and anxiety that woke me right up. I then vomited/diarrhea all night long. I'm currently awake on night 3 typing this. Chills have stopped but I'm holding nothing down."

Infected blister (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Endocarditis Prevention: "Reading through these comments I am amazed nobody mentions the smell of the capsules.I 'm near 75 and have never encountered anything this foul. Really. Opening the bottle I thought of throwing it away.To get a capsules down I have to hold it away from my face and - essentially - throw it in my mouth.Takes a glass of water to make the odor go away."

paintcan9 April 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I have asthma and have had respiratory problems my whole 27 years. When I get sick, I get sick as a dog for long periods of time. Needless to say, I have been prescribed to several different antibiotics over the years and each of them helped. However, everytime I have taken cephalexin I have noticed an almost immediate result. So immediate that it is shocking. Currently, I am prescribed 500mg 3x per day for 10 days and I haven't had any side effects aside from feeling tired but every antibiotic does that to me. Cephalexin is by far the best antibiotic I have had. Everyone reacts differently though so we all have to find which medications work best for our bodies."

SMH27 April 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I have had an on and off condition with skin boils numerous, I am also diabetic and allergic to penicillin. This is one of the few antibiotics I can tolerate. I have been on this dose for 12 days, and am getting vast improvement. I am concerned though, because my provider wants me on this for 4 more weeks.. I have read other reviews, medications all have side effects, but having numerous boils under my arms, top of my legs, and under my breasts have just gotten out of control. And scars are bad as well. Just feeling so much better without so much infection and things healing up"

Missmelody (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Endocarditis Prevention: "I am taking keflex to keep from getting an infection for surgery that I had. The doctor had me start taking it one day before surgery and now I am on day twelve. Tomorrow is my last dose. I am having headaches and pain behind one eye. I am hoping the headaches will stop after tomorrow when I take my last dose. The eye pain started yesterday. I'm looking forward to being done with the medication. I'm not a fan of antibiotics and 3 a day for 13 days, in my opinion, is a lot. I have heard it can be bad for the liver and kidney. Does anyone else experience headaches from this medication?"

BlessedByFaith (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "Was experiencing pressure in lower abdomen and urge to urinate frequently(approx 2 x's per hour sometimes more) Tried amoxicillin which did nothing. Was given cephalexin 500mg 2x's daily. First 3 days noticed a change. Only issue was a headache. Day 4 urination frequency was decreasing (once every 2-2 and 1/2 hrs) and most pressure/pain was gone. Continued to drink water, cranberry juice and kefir to restore good bacteria and prevent yeast infection/and/or another uti..apparently it's common for it to recur due to wiping out positive bacteria. Will finish 7 day regimen and start taking "Friendly Flora" in hopes of preventing future issues. I believe this antibiotic is working great & hope it knocks out infection completely."

KatJhn February 21, 2017