User Reviews for Cephalexin

Also known as: Biocef, Daxbia, Keflex, Keftab, Panixine, Zartan

Learn more about Cephalexin.

Bone infection 1 reviews 65 medications

Pharyngitis 2 reviews 47 medications

4.5
Summary of Cephalexin reviews 206 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Cephalexin

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Drug worked to cure my infection caused by a spider bite, but the smell of the pill made me so nauseous I dreaded taking it."

Jakki6696 June 11, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Finished a week on Keflex for a skin infection on my leg, so severe I could not put weight on my leg. Back to ER put on Clindamycin 300mg x 3 for 10 days. Come back if no improvement after 3 days. After 3 days pain has improved swelling better, must be working. Makes me tired, and a little dizzy. Take probiotics for any GI issues. Always take with food."

pitsy (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I used this pill for 2 days and my face cleared up I still got 5 day To go 4 times a day"

Anonymous May 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Kidney Infections: "I am a 59 yr old female and was diagnosed with a kidney infection. One week prior I had minor UTI symptoms two random days for an hour or so. One week later I was rushed to ER temp 103.2 severe shivering and shakes and flu like pains. Now I'm on On cephalexin 48 hours. No fever at all. Extremely bloated. Slightly nauseous, abdominal pain, minimal body pain. Knocked fever right out. This stinks, but I think this was a great call on the antibiotic. I'm taking it 3x daily 500mg"

Dmvgs May 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "The first day I took it my skin felt flushed and I had a bad headache and dizziness (almost chickened out then). But these effects improved as I continued to take the medicine. I was prescribed 500mg three times a day for 5 days for trace leukocytes in my urine. I've never taken cephalexin before, and I'm very sensitive to medications (slow metabolizer) and already cannot take several antibiotics due to allergies (cipro, nitrofuratoin and sulfa). So I'm thankful that I seem to be okay with the cephalexin (I'm running out of antibiotics that I can take!). I haven't noticed any other side effects, not even diarrhea. As for my symptoms, some have improved but not all. I only have 2 pills left but not all of my symptoms went away yet. I hope it works."

42yoWoman (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I got a bad infection from shaving my bikini area with a bad razor and my doctor put me on this medicine to help clear it up. I have to take two pills 3 times a day. I've been on it only for 2 days now and it's working! I can now pee without my urine touching the bumps and it burning like crazy. Only problem I'm having so far is mild tiredness-not so crazy I just want to go to sleep. I can actually pull through with staying up- and diaherra."

Minnie411 May 7, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Keflex (cephalexin) for Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Prescribed 500 mg 4x a day for 10 days for an infected ingrown hair on my bikini line. I've gotten lots of ingrown hair infections in the past and usually just let them run their course, but taking this was SO much better! Cleared up by day 4, absolutely no side effects, even drinking alcohol went well. Only giving it a 9 because waking up to take it every 6 hours was very annoying, especially once it seemed to have gotten better."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Keflex (cephalexin) for Bladder Infection: "I have a double whammy: I have interstitial cystitis (which feels like a constant bladder infection), and on top of that I'm prone to actual bladder infections. I've learned to be able to tell the difference between a bladder infection and a cystitis flare up. I have A LOT of drug allergies and can not take sulfa drugs or Cipro, which are commonly prescribed for bladder infections. Keflex has been the ONLY antibiotic that I can take that doesn't give me any side effects AND gets rid of the infection. It's saved my bacon on numerous occasions. I also prophylactically take Acidophilus orally and douche with plain yogurt to avoid yeast infections. It all works like a charm. I have NEVER had a bad side effect from Keflex."

Shedoc (taken for 10 years or more) April 26, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Had a swollen foot. Dr. prescribed Cephalexin, 500 mg 3 times a day. I quit the 4th. day as my excreted urine was less than 2 Tablespoons per trip to bathroom. I had decreased kidney function prior to taking Cephalexin and the prescribing doctor should pay more attention to my records. In my case it can cause kidney failure. My BUN Blood Urea Nitrogen was elevated BEFORE taking the Cephalexin. I had stepped on a piece of glass and nothing major. From now on I will research any prescription that doctors give me. Very, very disappointed in being prescribed this!"

maryedurkin April 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I had a blister get infected on a cruise ship. The on board Dr put me on Cephalexen 4x daily at 500mg for 5 days. I've had insomnia from the get go. While awake, I had dizzy spells often, and bursts of anxiety. On night 3, I developed chills, and anxiety that woke me right up. I then vomited/diarrhea all night long. I'm currently awake on night 3 typing this. Chills have stopped but I'm holding nothing down."

Infected blister (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Endocarditis Prevention: "Reading through these comments I am amazed nobody mentions the smell of the capsules.I 'm near 75 and have never encountered anything this foul. Really. Opening the bottle I thought of throwing it away.To get a capsules down I have to hold it away from my face and - essentially - throw it in my mouth.Takes a glass of water to make the odor go away."

paintcan9 April 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I have asthma and have had respiratory problems my whole 27 years. When I get sick, I get sick as a dog for long periods of time. Needless to say, I have been prescribed to several different antibiotics over the years and each of them helped. However, everytime I have taken cephalexin I have noticed an almost immediate result. So immediate that it is shocking. Currently, I am prescribed 500mg 3x per day for 10 days and I haven't had any side effects aside from feeling tired but every antibiotic does that to me. Cephalexin is by far the best antibiotic I have had. Everyone reacts differently though so we all have to find which medications work best for our bodies."

SMH27 April 14, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I have had an on and off condition with skin boils numerous, I am also diabetic and allergic to penicillin. This is one of the few antibiotics I can tolerate. I have been on this dose for 12 days, and am getting vast improvement. I am concerned though, because my provider wants me on this for 4 more weeks.. I have read other reviews, medications all have side effects, but having numerous boils under my arms, top of my legs, and under my breasts have just gotten out of control. And scars are bad as well. Just feeling so much better without so much infection and things healing up"

Missmelody (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Endocarditis Prevention: "I am taking keflex to keep from getting an infection for surgery that I had. The doctor had me start taking it one day before surgery and now I am on day twelve. Tomorrow is my last dose. I am having headaches and pain behind one eye. I am hoping the headaches will stop after tomorrow when I take my last dose. The eye pain started yesterday. I'm looking forward to being done with the medication. I'm not a fan of antibiotics and 3 a day for 13 days, in my opinion, is a lot. I have heard it can be bad for the liver and kidney. Does anyone else experience headaches from this medication?"

BlessedByFaith (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "Was experiencing pressure in lower abdomen and urge to urinate frequently(approx 2 x's per hour sometimes more) Tried amoxicillin which did nothing. Was given cephalexin 500mg 2x's daily. First 3 days noticed a change. Only issue was a headache. Day 4 urination frequency was decreasing (once every 2-2 and 1/2 hrs) and most pressure/pain was gone. Continued to drink water, cranberry juice and kefir to restore good bacteria and prevent yeast infection/and/or another uti..apparently it's common for it to recur due to wiping out positive bacteria. Will finish 7 day regimen and start taking "Friendly Flora" in hopes of preventing future issues. I believe this antibiotic is working great & hope it knocks out infection completely."

KatJhn February 21, 2017

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "This drug has worked very well! I had a skin infection, with a urinary Tract infection. I was put on the medicine for 10 days, 2 times a day. The first couple of doses, I didn't think that it was really working, but after 4 days of taking the medicine, then bumps started to go away & I could urinate comfortably without any burning. On the 8th day, the bumps have completely dried up and new skin is forming on top. I didn't really experience any bad side effects. The only side effects I had was MINOR diarrhea and fatigue. I would definitely recommend this medicine. My only wish would be that it would do a better job at clearing the bumps more effectively!"

Jada3680 February 18, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "5 days ago I was diagnosed with facial cellulitis I went to the er and they gave me cephalexin and bactrim. I was told to take 2 cephalexin and 4 bactrim within the past few days of taking both antibiotics my rate has gone up my jaw jitters a lot I know have a fever and my left arm feels like I pulled every single muscle in it plus I noticed 5 new blisters on my face that go red and are as hard as a marble till it feels up with puss and bursts. The only good thing about this pill is that it helped clear two parts of where the cellulitis was on my face but now I have these new symptoms and I'm not sure what to do."

Aframbar (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Keflex (cephalexin) for Bladder Infection: "I do not understand why doctors, frequently, prescribe Keflex for bladder or urinary tract infections, considering how many side effects it creates. Why not just plain, old Amoxicillin? I, all too frequently, get an U.T.I. Usually it is a very mild infection. When I use it, I get muscle pain, back pain, anxiety, and agitation. There must be a gentler, kinder, and safer antibiotic to be used to kill bacteria. I wish I knew the name of one. I would, then, ask my doctor or an ER doctor to prescribe it for me. I am tired of doctors telling me it is the best antibiotic to use for an U.T.I. It makes me sick! "

TwoDimes (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I started on this medication and noticed rapid heart beat. I hate it - it makes me feel miserable I'm on 4 doses a day of 500mg. This makes it to difficult for me. I even took my blood pressure medication no help and I can't sleep. I will go to ER tomorrow for another solution if possible. This is so scary Medication too strong for me."

Anonymous February 6, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I'm not sure if it's working was prescribed 2 a day for 10 days I get cystic acne and I have broke out worse since taking it makes me bloated and tired but can't sleep also makes my skin super dry I just finished my last dose I hope it's one of those gets worse before it gets better, just try to get accutane."

Alei crow January 26, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "My large toe on my right foot just started hurting. Throbbing pain. Then turned red and started swelling. Said it was infected and prescribed Reflex 500mg plus Bactrim. I was afraid to take both at once but figured I had no choice. 3 days have passed & feeling fine. The pain is gone from my foot but it still looks disgusting. Have a week left of both medications to go. Can't say how well they work yet since it I haven't finished the prescribed dosage. I do eat with each pill & drink plenty of water. Mostly yogurt. I have taken Bactrim and Keflex before but never together. Still a bit nervous on both!"

SandiBeach22 January 19, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Causes NASTY wind and diarrhea. Couldn't imagine what 4 a day would do to me. I'm only taking 2 a day and already seeing progress. How could people handle fourth a day!?"

Marthamayhooviay (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I have an ingrown toenail infection and on the first dose it started to feel better, but, not any better with next 4 doses. However, I ate as directed but on dose 4 it felt like I had what felt like a bubble under my left upper back and front ... as if I needed to belch but when I did the pain went go away for about 30 seconds and came right back. It really felt like I was having heart issues. I was suppose to take 500 mg 3 times daily for 7 days. I cannot get the 3rd dose in a day, but, I felt horrible ... headaches too. I'm not going to take anymore and I'll call Dr. tomorrow."

Preciousjg (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Keflex (cephalexin) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Keflex is the greatest , I have been using it for 50yrs, until recently some people have polluted doctors minds that antibiotic use can be bad I,ve used it for 50 years it has saved my life more than once,recently my doc of 50 yrs retired,and I had to get another doc,its one of those that go by the stupid books,most are garabge,now I cannot get this medicine no more,so I have been sick now for 3months thanks to these idiots that don't have a clue what they are talking about."

patti benninghoven (taken for 10 years or more) December 30, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I was prescribed 500mg 4 times a day for 10 days to treat my folliculitis after shaving with a bad razor. The first day I felt okay, but I'm on day 4 and I already feel like crap. I feel dizzy, extremely fatigued to the point where I feel like a lifeless potato, nausea, lightheadedness, and some mild abdominal pain here and there. I pretty much don't feel like doing anything. The folliculitis seems to be slowly improving, though it flares up again when I wake up so I'm not entirely sure if this antibiotic is working. Might discontinue it if side effects get worse and try to get a different antibiotic"

ihateinfections (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2016