User Reviews for Cephalexin

Also known as: Biocef, Keflex, Keftab, Panixine, Zartan

Learn more about Cephalexin.

Bone infection 1 reviews 64 medications

Pharyngitis 2 reviews 46 medications

4.5
Summary of Cephalexin reviews 177 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Cephalexin

For Bladder Infection: "Started keflex oral 10ml 3x per day for 7 days. On day 3 now and almost symptom free! So far no side effects - hope it stays that way! If you can't swallow pills like me or if pills don't agree with you, try the liquid. Mine is flavored!"

kohta (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I started taking Cephalexin to prevent any bacterial infection before it got to any parts of my body. 500mg 4xday, 10 days. The underside of my right breast split and it was a mean-looking gash. Have no idea why it happened as I've never had any issues at all wearing my bras. And no. No underwires and have had them for years, again, without any issues. :) Doc took a culture and viola! I'm on pills that come out of a bottle that smells like someone trapped a fart in it. I ended up with diarrhea, at least 3 times a day and today, I am trying out a pro-biotic to see if that will help in any way. Good luck to the newly prescribed. Different for everyone. :)"

droolingtiger November 22, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "Commonly known as Keflex. I had burning when urinating, urgency, retention, bloating and went to the ER. The ER MD diagnosed me with bladder cystitis (progression from a run-of-the-mill UTI from -regretfully- ignoring the symptoms). I was prescribed 500MG Keflex 4 times a day, 2000MG/2G daily. Never took Keflex before, but I know it's been around a while, and works wonderfully. This is actually my first day (second dose in). I already feel a difference. It's true - this drug does make you sleepy (for some odd reason). I have not felt nauseous yet. Must take this with food, as always with any antibiotic - plenty of water too. Smells like rotten eggs, so toss it back and swallow."

Kristen the Nurse (: (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "Cephalexin is the only anti biotic that clears UTI'S for me. The GP's always tell me to try others but inevitably just prolong my infection until I finally get cephalexin. No noticeable side effects for me and always do the job. I literally cry with relief when I get these as I know within 24hrs I can get on with my life!"

Amanda4343 November 7, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I got a flu shot and the next morning I woke up with fever, pounding headache and a large red swelling on my arm with streaks that connected to the lymph nodes. I was diagnosed with cellulitis. I was clearly not swabbed well enough, if at all (can't remember). I started on 3 doses of Cephalexin 500 per day, but got worse the first day and ended up in ER. The ER doc bumped me up to 4 doses. It has pretty much cleared it up. The exhaustion has been horrific, and at times I'm dizzy. No diarrhea, but sometimes I become extremely nauseous. It strikes me out of nowhere. I find that taking Zantac helps. I'm also really, achy and all around unwell. One pill to go and I can't wait. But, the stuff works or I'd have developed sepsis, so all good."

Lindacw November 3, 2016

For Kidney Infections: "I have a recurrent UTI and was put on 1 x 500mg capsule at night, so I've been taking them for some time and the only complaint I have is the terrible smell off them. I usually have to hold my breath before I open up the package then shove it in my mouth. I would say it should be good for you unless you have some other illness that would cause you problems as it hasn't made me have any side effects."

Cat_Mc October 21, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I had scalp acne fo 6 months, but several doctors said it wasn't an infection. So I used every, single known topical stuff, nothing worked from anti inflammatories to natural products. I went to the gp last week with a urine infection, I said will it clear up my scalp also, yes, but only if it's an infection, which he doubted. . And, whoopee my scalp has cleared up and I didn't experience any side effects. Go with your gut diagnosis, you know yourself better than anyone.. Couldn't recommend this antibiotic highly enough."

Scuba1 (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "Keflex works on me for UTI/bladder infections, but it gives me frequent diarrhea and makes me exhausted! I also get really bad dry mouth while taking it, too."

a_detar September 26, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "I am 9 weeks and was prescribed Keflex. It has worked, however I have also had major diarrhea everyday. Other than that, no other side effects for me.."

Shenata123 September 9, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "well I had hair follicle first and I irritated it by putting cotton underneath bandages,ended up with nasty secondary bacterial infection(3 times in 2 years)though to be honest still have no idea if its hair follicle and getting secondary infection because of bandages.been to this pvt. male dermatologist in city. he said its hair follicle,saw my medical history and still prescribed this new to my body antibiotics for secondary bacterial infection I repeat it was not staph infection I am really not happy with him all above he was unusual anyway. well infection is fine but got HORRIBLE side effects I got rashes all over my body, difficulty in breathing. so went to G.P in Taringa she replaced the antibiotic with "E- M.." lets see hope 4 d best"

axel90 August 28, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Got diagnosed with mastitis for the first time this week from a stubborn clogged duct and prescribed 500 mcg 4 pills a day. Luckily I caught it early and it only took two pills for the mastitis symptoms to go away. After 6 pills I started to get extremely light headed, dizzy, and disoriented so much so that I couldn't drive and had to have someone babysit because I was afraid I was going to pass out or worse! My doctor cut my dose down to two pills a day so hopefully that will help the side effects. I've never experienced such horrible side effects from any medicine! I don't know what was worse the side effects from this medicine or the mastitis! I'll never take this medicine again!"

Breastfeedingmomma (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "The drug did help with my infection in my mouth that I had gotten from a piercing, but the side effects are awful. I was told to take 4 a day for 10 days and I've had to expand the days because I cannot take 4 a day without wanting to pass out or throw up. I get so nauseous and am extremely tired from it. If you do take this pill make sure you eat A LOT."

namiwo August 23, 2016

Keflex (cephalexin) for Bacterial Infection: "I was required to take 4 Keflex before a dental procedure. I got diarrhea really bad and ended up in the emergency room getting fluids from being dehydrated."

Britalyssa06 (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2016

For Pharyngitis: "Was prescribed Keflex (cephalexin) as treatment for strep throat. Had always been given penicillin prior with no side effects. After 1 full day of dosing I noticed a recurring itch on chest. Chest was speckled with tiny red spots and looked as if I had gotten into insulation or something similar. Went to bed and awoke to a full on rash over entire body that resembled mumps, eczema, or chickenpox. Not pleasant at all to see, to say nothing of the unbearable itchiness. Did not experience any anaphylaxis or tongue swelling. Prescription was switched to penicillin that morning at doctor office and rash subsided in a few days. My children have been prescribed this recently and I have not handled dosing them for fear of contact with drug."

R Buffington (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Hi, It's a wonder drug. I had an infection on my acne and my cheek was swollen. The doctor prescribed me with cephalexin 500mg for four times a day for 7 days. It works very quickly. Within some hour, the deep purple inflammation completely subside. And the swelling has reduced drastically. I was amazed..... On top of it I got also Fucidin cream to apply on the effected area. Cephalexin works with wonder !"

Magic drug July 26, 2016

For Kidney Infections: "Had cephlaxen through IV and now on day 3 of ten days twice a day oral tablets. 500m for kidney infection I'm also pregnant. I usually react horribly to antibiotics, this one so far is not so bad all my symptoms relieved after second day, I do have headaches from this med and sensitivity to light. But so far so good. I recommend it but it gets a lower rating due to My headache :("

Emmie J (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "my Doctor as soon as I start to see the onset of one of these cyst and he goes ahead and prescribes me Cephalexin 500mg capsules. And they don't even form into what looks like a little bug bite. And again it's gone in under two days. Cause I'm not sure I could deal with another Mount St. Helena cyst like before. It disrupted everything I did. It made it hard to sleep, just sit there, putting tops on FOR SURE, walking, dancing, being goofy with my kids, and much much more. So for me Cephalexin is a miracle working drug. It's freed up a lot of my life from so much pain and allowed me to be the real me again! :). <3"

BME Momma of Three July 12, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "My Doctor prescribed me Cephexin and it has worked wonders. I'm so glad I'm not one of the ones that got those horrible a side effects. However, for those of you that did I'm so so sorry. That sounds like an extreme nightmare. I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. However I wish I would have have known about it before I got this huge stiff abcess cyst in my arm pit. ( in fact that seems to be the only place I get cysts is in my right arm pit. But this one I let get so bad I had to my Doc's right away but he's too hard to get into quickly, so I settled for the nurse practitioner. Let's go back just a bit, I mean this cyst was so big and hurt so bad I couldn't put arm down all the way without almost crying. So I got there and this is the antibiotic I got"

Bme Momma of Three (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2016

For Bacterial Endocarditis Prevention: "I'm on this for when I get my teeth cleaned at dentist to protect me from bacterial endocarditis. So far so good but I read the bad reviews and the good reviews. I had to bring it down to 8 because I do get nausea feeling after this and if I burp, there is a nasty smell from your mouth being open when burping. The main problem I have with this drug is, that it makes my stomach hurt, like I am going to throw up. They way I am diabetic and eat at night. I can't eat big meal each time I take it 3x a times. So I drink milk and it helps pretty good with the pain in the stomach. I am only on my second day. Still makes my stomach hurt. I will get some more milk after this review. I am allergic to PCN and they still gave me this. I looked it up on the internet that it is a substitute for PCN. I hope I am okay after I am done with using it."

utahman1971 (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "I have been on these antibiotics for 5 days now and so far so good in clearing the infection of cystitis. I am no longer in agony, however, i starting getting diarrhea straight away which has lasted so far the 5 days. Rumbling in my stomach and also then very bad wind and burping which smells very much like eggs. Not the best side effect for anyone around."

Smellyeggyfartypants June 24, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "I treated my UTI successfully during the pregnancy .I did not have side effects"

lena007 June 8, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "I took cephalexin 500 for ten days following a 5 day stay at my local hospital (with IV antibiotics) for a bladder infection. It did nothing for my infection. But I did get a few nasty side effects. Diarrhea, nightmares, and muscle pain. This medication did not work for me."

AliciaV May 12, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I had a fungal toenail infection, went to doctor, prescribed Cephalexin 500 mg cap 2 twice daily. As I have IBS, took it with food to not upset my stomach, 1st 2, no affect but when I took the next two thought I was going to die, I woke up at 2 am with severe stomach pain, nausea, dizzy, I was draped over the bathroom counter thought I was going to pass out, within 10 mins my hair was soaking wet & had perspiration running down my face and having diarrhea at the same time I live alone, 73 was considering calling 911. next 2 mornings I saw that my gums had been bleeding, not red but dark purplish black, as I have dentures, in was inside and between my teeth, found it can cause gum bleeding. Talked to pharmacy said to stop it. Never again."

Anonymous May 2, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I've been fighting Cellulitis in both legs for 2 years! After 2 hospital stays & several different Dr's my newest put me on 500 Mg 4X daily. After only 3 days my legs look & feel better than they have since I first got it! Also I've been taking 5 or 10 Mg of Oxy every 6 hours to ease the pain.I took 0 the last 24 hours! The only side effect is diarrhea which is a pleasure after being constantly constipated from the Oxy!"

Buffiteer April 30, 2016

For Kidney Infections: "Have been using CefALEXin for 2 days now due to a UTI which started on a monday, then got worse and spread to a kidney infection by tueday then had all the symptoms by tuesday night and started taking CefALEXin Wednesday afternoon, started working the next day, although i get random sever headaches, feel dizzy when standing, feel nauseous in the morning and with no appetite, but that will go once I've finished these antibiotics. I'd much father be feeling like this than how i felt with no treatment on the kidney infection :)"

LivLiving (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2016