User Reviews for Cefuroxime

Also known as: Ceftin, Zinacef

Cefuroxime has an average rating of 6.4 out of 10 from a total of 128 ratings on Drugs.com. 54% of those users who reviewed Cefuroxime reported a positive effect, while 32% reported a negative effect.

Strep Throat   9.5
Skin and Structure Infection   1.0
Summary of Cefuroxime reviews 6.4 128 reviews

Reviews for Cefuroxime

Girl from West V · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2021

For Strep Throat: “I was prescribed cefuroxime to treat strep and a UTI. Throat felt better within a day UTI took like 3-4 days for all symptoms to go away. The pill for this is big though and it’s hard to swallow and if you don’t swallow it in the first gulp it is legit the absolute worst taste in your mouth I’ve ever experienced. It legit made me throw up from the taste.”

Roll · Taken for less than 1 month December 7, 2020

For Surgical Prophylaxis: “After my Piles surgery Dr prescribed me Cefuroxime axetil 500MG x 2 Day After my 1st tablet itself I felt weak, Body pain, unconscious mind and chilling temperature It was really bad experience do not take if your not have good condition to suffer the consequences..”

Martin · Taken for less than 1 month November 2, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “The Urgent care physician diagnosed me with moderate case of swimmers ear. He prescribed me the antibiotiic cefuroxime, 500Mg, for a period of 7 days. After reading other reviews I did use one probiotic pill each day along with probiotic yogurt. To make a long story short I had no problems with my bowels. However the drug did provide me with a constant moderate headache. Otherwise than that no other side effects. Unfortunately, the drug did nothing to resolve my ear infection. So, today, a different physician is going to have me try Ciprofloaxin. I was hoping to avoid Cipro as it is a lot harder on the body with a bigger spectrum of side effects. Good luck to anyone else who tries cefuroxime.”

pattihurst · Taken for less than 1 month November 2, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I have taken Cefuroxime axetil 500 mg twice times daily for 7 days. It's works well and no side effects. After I took pills in just few days and the pain disappeared and the infection comes out clean. It's significantly helpful and no symptoms though. I recommend. After that, I took other antibiotic medication named nitrofurantoin MCR 100 mg, take twice daily for three days and then take 1 pill for 3 days. It's seldom doesn't work sometimes, while I drank lot of water, but the infection get back after took all medicine next few days later, probably 5-6 days.”

Martin · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2020

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: “I was prescribed cefuroxime for a swollen throat and post nasal drip problem that I had been suffering for more than 30 days. I was prescribed 500mgs, twice daily, for 10 days. After reading some of the other reviews I decided to take a probiotic pill after the first pill and a probiotic yogurt after the second pill. I took the probiotics two hours after taking each pill. It worked perfectly. I had no side effects whatsoever except for a small headache the second day. I found the large pill a little hard to swallow so I simply split the pill in half and took each half with food. I did not find the taste of the pill as bad as others reported. After seven days I discontinued the drug as it did not seem to solve the problem. I am certain others users may have a different outcome so I will not give the drug a bad rating. I just wanted to report how well I tolerated the drug without side effects. Hope this helps someone else. Good Luck !!”

Lys · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I have taken Ceftin several times for sinus infections and it has worked well with minimal side effects. I went to urgent care with a UTI and she put me on Macrobid which I had never take before (first UTI) and it seemed to help alleviate symptoms pretty quickly but I felt worse physically. My PCP switched me to Ceftin 250 mg 2x a day for 10 days. It didn’t seem to work as quickly but it did work and I had no side effects, but I know I tolerate this drug very well. All antibiotics cause stomach upset so take a good quality probiotic, solaray urgent care probiotic and florastor keep my stomach pretty normal while on antibiotics.”

Alice · Taken for less than 1 month September 8, 2020

For Lyme Disease: “I was prescribed this cefuroxime at a dose of 500mg 2 x a day for 10 days for Lyme Disease. I had no symptoms of having Lyme other than a bite mark and huge circular rash that was terribly itchy. I have had no side effects from cefuroxime for me. I will ask for this in the future. Best of luck to all who are ill. I hope you have a speedy recovery & are paired with a successful remedy!”

Still in pain · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Age 27 Female. Had UTI for a long time, had no symptoms though. Cloudy smelly urine a day before I felt pain. All of a sudden, left side and groin started aching. Could hear and feel stuff on left side. VERY uncomfortable. Tele Doc suspected Pyelonephritis. Put me on Augmentin 875-125 mg twice a day for 10 days. Did not work. Went to urgent care 2 days later, put me on cefuroxime axetil 500 mg twice daily for 14 days. Pain subsided for 4 days, fifth day pain returned. Thought it was because I was drinking a lot of coffee. (It wasnt!) Doc put me on Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice a day for 7 days. Praying it will work”

justmy2cents · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “My GP gave me these cefuroxime for my ear infection. On day 4 and I've had nothing but headaches and feeling sick in the stomach. I'm also getting cold chills and a temperature.”

Lottie July 28, 2020

For Pneumonia: “My husband was prescribed this cefuroxime along with a zpack for pneumonia. It's been 4 days & he's completely recovered. He still has 1 dose of azythromycin & 3 and a half days of cefuroxime axetil to complete the course. One or both of these drugs worked miracles for him with absolutely no side effects.Also, his bowel movements are normal. Everyone's tolerance is different. I would rate both drugs as a 10.”

Mouse · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2020

For Sinusitis: “Have been having bad sinus infection as to where my nose hurt so bad I couldn’t sleep. Went to doctor put me on Cefuroxine 500 mg twice a day. I notice after taking one day dose I was feeling sick to stomach and feel tired in my legs arms whole body. I called doctor to tell her and she said to push through it. My body is fighting the infection. So I lay on my sofa and praying that I will feel better soon. This day 2 and I still feel the same. Taking cough syrup for nausea that helps me sleep. I’ve been reading all comments and it looks like most say 3 rd day you feel good here’s hoping that’s true.”

akela · Taken for less than 1 month May 17, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “It worked out well with bacterial infection in throat, saved me already 2 times”

JediMaster April 29, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Had a UTI 2 wks ago. Was Rx'd Nitrofurantoin 2x daily. Then on the 25th, started having symptoms of UTI again. Went back to urgent care yesterday. Doc did another UA, and the results even specified which antibiotic would work the best, which was this med. Took first dose last night with zofran because antibiotics make me sick and went to bed. Took two doses today and feel TONS better! So far I've had no side effects but I take a probiotic so I think it's helped. A note to those who suffer from joint pain and swelling on ANY antibiotic; there's the risk of tendon rupture so if you experience pain and swelling of any extremity, see your doctor ASAP to rule it out. Hoping y'all are doing ok during the COVID19 pandemic. Please stay safe!!”

KellyDC · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “On day 7 of taking cefuroxine 10 day course for bacterial upper respiratory infection. Taking is along with Mucus Dm Extended Release and Flonase. Fever stopped immediately on day one but everything else got way worse. Insanely sore throat and unstoppable mucus production make it impossible to drink or eat. It is a nightmare swallowing the pills down. I don't want to finish out but I will per doctors orders but what a waste of precious time and valuable resources. Oh and the fever's back on day 7.”

German · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2020

For Sinusitis: “cefuroxime Probably it did its job, eyes not itchy and sinusitis gone. I have horrible reaction and keep itching.”

Trina March 1, 2020

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Sinusitis: “Don't take Ceftin if you have colitis of any kind. Stomach has been in horrible constriction after 2pills.”

Tee February 27, 2020

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: “I've been fighting a bad infection in my sinuses and chest for 3 weeks. I'm on day 2 of this drug and coughing up mucus now and hoping this is normal. I feel a lot better and can breath while lying down. What a relief!”

Intgks · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “DID NOTHING!!! With the exception of making me so nauseous and sick I couldn't get out of bed Repeat: this it does NOTHING Didn't treat my infection in the slightest”

Sassafras · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2020

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Otitis Media: “On day 7 and ears still plugged. Sinus & throat involvement continues also. Not pleased with results.”

Anne · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I was diagnosed with a UTI on Jan 28, 2020 and my doc prescribed me this cefuroxime medicine to be taken 2x a day for 5 days. I just started taking it an hour ago and then I vomited. I felt better somehow. Its my first time to experience vomiting while on antibiotic but I hope this would help clear up any infections and no vomiting anymore. I must finish this medication for 5 days, as prescribed. All the best wishes for us during this hard time.”

Yo · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “1st took cefuroxime for 10 days and worked well but 3-4 days later symptoms returned (infection). After a week was re-given this drug. First 2 days had chills, feverish, swollen L hand (had cut on it) and developed chest pressure 2nd night. 3d day swelling in L hand diminished but chills and feverish symptoms persist.”

rxconsumer · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2020

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: “LUPIN manufactured cefuroxime 250 mg tablets are the WORST tasting tablet!!!!! DO NOT have your pharmacy fill the script if it is manufactured by LUPIN. When you place the tablet in your mouth (not your tongue), it leaves a bitter aftertaste. It is terrible. I started vomiting.”

Amy January 10, 2020

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Sinusitis: “The medicine clears the infection , but extremely harsh on the stomach. I am on day 4 and had to stop taking it because I threw up all over the driveway. It repeats on you all day and leaves a horrible taste. Very strong”

Vuv · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2020

For Bronchitis: “My second day in, I feel like I’m not getting any better. Chills and fever have gone away but still coughing heavily and feeling really tired. Also no appetite really. Maybe I just need to finish the course.”

Boss · Taken for less than 1 month December 7, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Prescribed cefuroxime for MRSA UTI infection for 7 days. Did not help to remove pain from the very first day. I developed green discharge from my sinuses, 37C fever, disorientation, nausea. Did not help at all.”