User Reviews for Cefuroxime

Also known as: Ceftin, Kefurox, Zinacef

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Cefuroxime.

Bladder Infection

Skin and Structure Infection

1 review 73 medications
Summary of Cefuroxime reviews 6.7 76 reviews

Reviews for Cefuroxime

For Sinusitis: "I've had sinus infection for over 4 weeks that just wasn't getting better - I was exhausted, no appetite, headaches, and the drainage from my sinus down my throat was starting to choke me at night. After seeing a doctor I found that my sinus infection has spread to my throat and ears and was prescribed 500mg 2x a day for 10 days. Two-three days in and I felt re-born! This is a miracle drug! I do however feel some heartburn and flatulence as I'm nearing the end of my prescription, but it is so worth it!"

Nicki18 (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2018

For Bronchitis: "I get bronchitis every year and so I can see it coming a mile away. I have routinely been prescribed a Z-Pack which clears me up on Day 3 of 5 if not earlier. For some reason, this time, a different doctor from the same practice prescribed Cefuroxime Axetil 250 mg x2 daily for 10 days. I went backwards before forwards, it took several days to clear me (even though I got it treated early as usual), and left me lethargic....more so than the shortness of breath itself. Maybe the doctor was concerned that the Z-Packs would start to lose effect for me but I will take that chance in the future."

Patrick M (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2017

For Bronchitis: "Was prescribed this with prednisolone for bronchitis while on a work trip. Worst experience ever. After three days, continued with a fever, chills, non productive cough, and an increasing tightness in my chest. Turns out, the prednisolone was masking an allergic reaction to this drug, though I had never had any prior reaction. Within 10 hours of the final dose of prednisolone, full blown anaphylaxis set in, along with an obvious trip to the ER, and wound up contracting pneumonia from all the fluid buildup from the reaction. Now I'm left with steroid and rescue inhalers, a different antibiotic, a prescription antihistamine until this stuff is fully out of my system, and a set of epipens to carry around if this ever happens again."

Anonymous December 18, 2017

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Lyme Disease: "Ceftin is the only antibiotic that cured my Lyme Disease after trying others. I have been symptom free for many years now. I took it for 6 weeks."

Lyme Lady (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 23, 2017

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Sinusitis: "I had a headache for 2 weeks straight and couldn't figure out why so I finally broke down and went to the doctors yesterday! She prescribed me Ceftin and said I had a sinus infection. I took both pills yesterday and woke up today with no headache at all and feeling amazing. This pill really works so far!"

Dallas C October 16, 2017

For Sinusitis: "Everyone is different and responds different to each medication. This one Cefuroxime worked wonderful on myself as where z-pak and Augmentin did nothing. I personally have had no side affects from this... So as to the negative comments about this , I have none ..> To each his own for there body."

Hogar (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2017

For Sinusitis: "I will NEVER take this antibiotic again! I took one dose and four hours later I was throwing up to the point of dry heaves! I was so extremely nauseous that I was miserable! After I was finished throwing up for three hours, I proceeded to have the worst watery stools ever! (Just keeping it real, people!) I had to go to the ER because I started to feel weak and weird! I passed out as they wheeled me to a room where they thought I had appendicitis! Did blood work and CT! Nope, it was the medication! I was severely dehydrated and they told me by the time I had left that I looked 100 times better than when I went in! I haven't had anymore of the medication and I've been just fine. I'd suffer through a sinus infection than go through that again!"

Sent Me to the ER September 13, 2017

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Urinary Tract Infection: "When I read all of the reviews I was kind of terrified to start Ceftin, but I had no reason to be! The only side effect I found for the first day was gas and bloating, but it definitely could've been unrelated. As long as you take this antibiotic with a meal (nothing crazy, doesn't have to be huge) and take probiotics daily, you should be totally fine! I've been on it for 4 days and I feel great with no side effects. Tomorrow is my last day, so I'm hoping my UTI will be cleared out! My only complaint is that because I took the liquid, it definitely was not pleasant to swallow and I found the easiest way to make it tolerable was to mix it with a sweeter flavored drink, as the antibiotic is a bit gritty and bitter."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I came down with a UTI on 4/1/17. My Primary Care Provider couldn't get me in so I ended up going to Urgent Care on 4/6/17 as I couldn't stand to suffer any longer. (I have compromised kidneys so nearly every time I get a UTI it develops into a kidney infection) The Urgent Care doctor prescribed me Cefuroxime. I was surprised when I picked it up from the pharmacy because it wasn't the same anti-biotic that I normally get prescribed for my UTI/kidney infections. Today is 4/10/17 and I still feel absolutely awful. It seems to be having no effect. I'm used to feeling better relatively quickly with the other antibiotic that I'm normally prescribed. I guess I'll be heading back to the doctor this week!"

RizzoDizzo April 10, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection: "No effect on UTI"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "On the 2nd day taking it, woke up in the morning my left ankle felt like I got arthritis. My left foot is swollen cant even stand on left foot. Today is the 3rd day and thinking to stop it if my left feet getting worse"

Howdd November 27, 2016

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Sinusitis: "Effective antibiotic with the only down side being frequent heartburn & gas."

AS101 (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2016

For Otitis Media: "I had the worst and most painful experience of my freakin life having a double ear infection. I went to my local urgent care and the doctor prescribed Amoxicillin, &this made it SO MUCH WORSE. After 8 days of the amoxicillin, I was hysterically crying from the pain. So I went back to urgent care and saw a different doctor, he prescribed me Cefuroxime & some ear drops. I am on day 4 of this antibiotic and the pain is nothing like it was before, but I am still feeling it. Frankly, I've had a broken nose, too many sinus infections to count, etc. and NOTHING compares to the severity of the pain that this ear infection caused me. I am still in pain but just not as much. THE BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE is a warm compress or ice pack to help with pain."

merrrr October 31, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Have suffered from allergies and 2 to 4 sinus infections yearly for most of my life. Have tried many antibiotics, but Ceftin works the best with the least side effects. I agree with other comments. After only 2 doses of a 10 day course I already felt 50% better. I am an RN and I have seen Zpak and Augmentin fail people during sinusitis treatment. This drug is my go-to now. It truly cures the infection. I only get maybe one acute sinusitis per year now, thanks to this drug."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Reduced severity of but didn't clear up a lung infection of unknown bacterial origin."

pro88 (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Just started ceftin for infection of inner ear. Taken twice daily for only 2 full days.some relief from pain but ear is still severely stopped up. Almost no hearing in that ear except my own hheartbeat ..rather annoying but beats the alternative.. Have seen many complaints of bad gastrointestinal problems ..my suggestion is take probiotics while on drug. I have no problem with taking it.. Note take at least an hour apart from antibiotics. Works well for me. Hope my ear unstops soon."

k in la October 1, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I was prescribed with Cefuroxime ( 2x500mg/day for 16 days) and prednisolone (60mg x 4 days, then 40mg x 4 days then 20mg x 4 days then 10mg x 4 days) The combination works very well with in the second day of the usage. I can breath well and yellow mucus came out well, hopefully in a week I will be fine. I am using netipot couple of times a day to cleanse the sinus and having single dosage of claritin and flunase as a prevention dosage. Not sure how much does side effect does prednisolone will cause, since this is first time I am using and hopefully doesn't hurt me. I read prednisolone is a steroid and I feel we have to avoid it."

Balki September 29, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I've been suffering from acute sinusitis for 13 days now. The doctor gave me antibiotics to nip it in the bud before it becomes chronic. I'm on my 6th day of Cefuroxime Axetil (500 mg 2 x per day) and I feel no better. In fact my condition continues to worsen. There is more greenish yellow mucous, I'm beginning to cough up mucous, and sinus headaches are starting. My doctor refuses to change the antibiotic because he says it can take anywhere from 1 day to over a week to work. I have to give it 3-4 more days. Truly disappointed with this medication."

Pyez August 22, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Sinus infection: Started using this product 4 days ago and so far nothing is happening? Still total congestion, massive sinus headaches on and off (more on then off), the only thing this medication has managed to give me is diarrhea? Will give this another day then go back to the doctor. Not sure this is the right medication for me."

Mi1966 August 22, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Have gotten excellent results with this med. It takes three days to kick in, but it has killed a sinus infection in both 2015 and 2016. I have allergies so have more problems than most in getting the infection to go completely away. I have not had the digestive issues nor any other side effects that I have with other meds like zpack (I still take yogart daily to keep good bacteria in the digestive tract). It seems to not have the issue with antibiotic resistance that zpack and some of the things more commonly prescribed can cause."

NCResident (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2016

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Lyme Disease: "son of 3,5 years old has Lyme; received cefuroxime axetil 250 mg oral suspension 21 days. It was hard to find pharmacy that carries this. The pediatrician had to mediate. Our son did a great job taking the medicine, as we used a plastic, injection tof administer it to him. He did fine with that. However. On the bottle it said to shake well before use. The liquid was too thick for shaking. You had to just wait for the goo to come out of the narrow bottle. When the bottle was "empty" there was a thick layer at the bottom and around the sides. Even thicker than the rest. How can we tell if he got the right amount of medicine? Better to put susp into an open neck jar and stir each time. With Lyme you"re never sure if medication worked."

kindje July 11, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I suffer from sever sinus issues, almost monthly, and this is the best antibiotic I have ever taken. 3 days into the meds, and felt better! Thank god, I have finally found so,etching that will help me feel better within days."

Anonymous May 19, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Omg this is the worst antibiotic ever I almost finished a whole two weeks supply and felt no better I've been back too the doctor 3 times since using this antibiotic it did nothing for my pain or me hopefully sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim works better"

Helpful tips March 17, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Into my 5th day...Pain relieved after two full days, but still have infection, mucus still yellow/green, and still feel like crap, although better. No side effects from med, which is good, but would have expected to feel much better by now. Four more days to go on med."

MoeMc February 28, 2016

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I have an upper respiratory infection I have been on this medication for 3 full days so far and my fever is gone and my cough is a lot better. it's definitely effective the only problem is the side affects are awful! I'm extremely dizzy and have real low energy. This stuff works but it sucks the life out of you."

Anonymous February 12, 2016