User Reviews for Cefuroxime

Skin and Structure Infection

1 review 73 medications
Summary of Cefuroxime reviews 7.0 86 reviews

Reviews for Cefuroxime

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was diagnosed having UTI and my doctor requires me to take cefuroxime 500mg 3x/day. I’m on my 3rd day of medication but the first time I took the medicine I vomited. However, it reduces the pain on my back and it is not painful to urinate anymore."

Lai (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2018

For Pneumonia: "Doxycycline helped with severe case of pneumonia but was not knocking it out and fever continued. My doc added cefuroxime and there was a change for the better right away. I am allergic to aspirin, ibuprofen, sulfas, levaquin, amoxicillin, and the penicillins, but I had no problems with either of these meds as long as at least ate a slice of bread with them, and the cocktail cured me!"

Mimi (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2018

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I had the worst case of tonsillitis (pain and swelling had me in tears) cough green mucus red eyes and a terrible flu and upper respiratory tract infection with cough. I had been to the ER several times to no avail because they kept saying it was viral. I went to the ER a third time and the doctor that time prescribed me this medication that saved me. Penicillin did nothing for me but this medicine worked. Bad taste and diarrhea were my side effects for 7 days."

Qtpie April 24, 2018

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Bladder Infection: "This is harder on the stomach and I miss my usual med for this but it seems to have lessened the urgency. I had no burning but I do have the low backache and pressure."

daisymick (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2018

For Sinusitis: "Terrible diarrhea, nausea, ototoxicity signs, such as in Meniere's disease, irritability, very little urine, kidney pain, vaginal discharge"

Pearly (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2018

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Sinusitis: "I have been prescribed Ceftin multiple times over the course of 6 years to treat my sinusitis. Every time I have taken it, I have only been able to endure a few days before the incredibly harsh nature of this medicine on my stomach forces a doctor to stop the use. This week I was prescribed it again and 4 hours into the VERY FIRST PILL of my VERY FIRST DOSE, I began to feel terrible stabbing abdominal pain and then began over 24 hours of awful diarrrhea and vomiting. My body felt like it was going through a war. Now not only was I still battling through sinusitis, but due to taking this Ceftin I added symptoms of being in the throes of a stomach virus. I went to the doctor 12 hours into this episode whereby he told me NEVER TAKE THIS MEDICINE AGAIN....it clearly is having awful reactions with your body. This has really set me back now and thanks to the havoc it wrecked on my insides now I can’t take any meds orally for a bit until we can stabilize my stomach."

Jersey (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2018

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Pneumonia: "I found the tablet form difficult to swallow. On my second dose, the tablet got stuck in my throat. Scary. But I managed to get it back out, and tossed it in the trash. Then I realized I would be one dose short. So I retrieved the tablet, only to discover that by now, it had swollen into a spongy mass. So I dropped it into a glass of water. Extremely bitter this way. And with irritated throat tissues. So, next dose, I put almond milk in my mouth, maybe 4 ounces, and tossed in the tablet and quickly swallowed. This time, it went down ok. I think the tablet needs a coating. I was thinking of using butter. I will try this on my next dose."

Tom March 26, 2018

For Pneumonia: "I was diagnosed with pneumonia 7 days ago the doctor prescribed me this. Everything seems to be ok until my day, 6 when I started experiencing severe abdominal pain I could walk straight. Just 3 more days left and I'm done with it"

Vany (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2018

For Sinusitis: "I've been sick with a sinus/ear/eye infection and after a very painful night during which I nearly choke on all the phlegm I was prescribed Cefuroxime 500 mg twice a day for 10 days. I expected it to work right away but it took about 3 days for the symptoms to lessen. No side effects to report. I think it works, just give it time. I also use saline nasal spray and take Tylenol, vitamins etc."

Cal_girl (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2018

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Sinusitis: "I was in Urgent Care 4 days ago and diagnosed with a sinus infection. I was given Ceftin 500 mg. tablets to take 2 times a day. I'm going to take one after dinner tonight, and I honestly can say this stuff is not working for me at all. I'm okay for about 3 hours after taking it with breakfast, then my nose starts running, my head stuffs up, I get very cold and I have to go to bed propped up on 3 pillows trying to breathe. When I get up, my nose starts running again and my head gets all stuffed up again, and doesn't clear up until about 8:30 pm. If I am like this tomorrow, I will be calling my primary care doctor about getting put on something else."

Cookie (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2018

For Sinusitis: "I've had sinus infection for over 4 weeks that just wasn't getting better - I was exhausted, no appetite, headaches, and the drainage from my sinus down my throat was starting to choke me at night. After seeing a doctor I found that my sinus infection has spread to my throat and ears and was prescribed 500mg 2x a day for 10 days. Two-three days in and I felt re-born! This is a miracle drug! I do however feel some heartburn and flatulence as I'm nearing the end of my prescription, but it is so worth it!"

Nicki18 (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2018

For Bronchitis: "I get bronchitis every year and so I can see it coming a mile away. I have routinely been prescribed a Z-Pack which clears me up on Day 3 of 5 if not earlier. For some reason, this time, a different doctor from the same practice prescribed Cefuroxime Axetil 250 mg x2 daily for 10 days. I went backwards before forwards, it took several days to clear me (even though I got it treated early as usual), and left me lethargic....more so than the shortness of breath itself. Maybe the doctor was concerned that the Z-Packs would start to lose effect for me but I will take that chance in the future."

Patrick M (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2017

For Bronchitis: "Was prescribed this with prednisolone for bronchitis while on a work trip. Worst experience ever. After three days, continued with a fever, chills, non productive cough, and an increasing tightness in my chest. Turns out, the prednisolone was masking an allergic reaction to this drug, though I had never had any prior reaction. Within 10 hours of the final dose of prednisolone, full blown anaphylaxis set in, along with an obvious trip to the ER, and wound up contracting pneumonia from all the fluid buildup from the reaction. Now I'm left with steroid and rescue inhalers, a different antibiotic, a prescription antihistamine until this stuff is fully out of my system, and a set of epipens to carry around if this ever happens again."

Anonymous December 18, 2017

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Lyme Disease: "Ceftin is the only antibiotic that cured my Lyme Disease after trying others. I have been symptom free for many years now. I took it for 6 weeks."

Lyme Lady (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 23, 2017

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Sinusitis: "I had a headache for 2 weeks straight and couldn't figure out why so I finally broke down and went to the doctors yesterday! She prescribed me Ceftin and said I had a sinus infection. I took both pills yesterday and woke up today with no headache at all and feeling amazing. This pill really works so far!"

Dallas C October 16, 2017

For Sinusitis: "Everyone is different and responds different to each medication. This one Cefuroxime worked wonderful on myself as where z-pak and Augmentin did nothing. I personally have had no side affects from this... So as to the negative comments about this , I have none ..> To each his own for there body."

Hogar (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2017

For Sinusitis: "I will NEVER take this antibiotic again! I took one dose and four hours later I was throwing up to the point of dry heaves! I was so extremely nauseous that I was miserable! After I was finished throwing up for three hours, I proceeded to have the worst watery stools ever! (Just keeping it real, people!) I had to go to the ER because I started to feel weak and weird! I passed out as they wheeled me to a room where they thought I had appendicitis! Did blood work and CT! Nope, it was the medication! I was severely dehydrated and they told me by the time I had left that I looked 100 times better than when I went in! I haven't had anymore of the medication and I've been just fine. I'd suffer through a sinus infection than go through that again!"

Sent Me to the ER September 13, 2017

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Urinary Tract Infection: "When I read all of the reviews I was kind of terrified to start Ceftin, but I had no reason to be! The only side effect I found for the first day was gas and bloating, but it definitely could've been unrelated. As long as you take this antibiotic with a meal (nothing crazy, doesn't have to be huge) and take probiotics daily, you should be totally fine! I've been on it for 4 days and I feel great with no side effects. Tomorrow is my last day, so I'm hoping my UTI will be cleared out! My only complaint is that because I took the liquid, it definitely was not pleasant to swallow and I found the easiest way to make it tolerable was to mix it with a sweeter flavored drink, as the antibiotic is a bit gritty and bitter."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I came down with a UTI on 4/1/17. My Primary Care Provider couldn't get me in so I ended up going to Urgent Care on 4/6/17 as I couldn't stand to suffer any longer. (I have compromised kidneys so nearly every time I get a UTI it develops into a kidney infection) The Urgent Care doctor prescribed me Cefuroxime. I was surprised when I picked it up from the pharmacy because it wasn't the same anti-biotic that I normally get prescribed for my UTI/kidney infections. Today is 4/10/17 and I still feel absolutely awful. It seems to be having no effect. I'm used to feeling better relatively quickly with the other antibiotic that I'm normally prescribed. I guess I'll be heading back to the doctor this week!"

RizzoDizzo April 10, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection: "No effect on UTI"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "On the 2nd day taking it, woke up in the morning my left ankle felt like I got arthritis. My left foot is swollen cant even stand on left foot. Today is the 3rd day and thinking to stop it if my left feet getting worse"

Howdd November 27, 2016

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Sinusitis: "Effective antibiotic with the only down side being frequent heartburn & gas."

AS101 (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2016

For Otitis Media: "I had the worst and most painful experience of my freakin life having a double ear infection. I went to my local urgent care and the doctor prescribed Amoxicillin, &this made it SO MUCH WORSE. After 8 days of the amoxicillin, I was hysterically crying from the pain. So I went back to urgent care and saw a different doctor, he prescribed me Cefuroxime & some ear drops. I am on day 4 of this antibiotic and the pain is nothing like it was before, but I am still feeling it. Frankly, I've had a broken nose, too many sinus infections to count, etc. and NOTHING compares to the severity of the pain that this ear infection caused me. I am still in pain but just not as much. THE BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE is a warm compress or ice pack to help with pain."

merrrr October 31, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Have suffered from allergies and 2 to 4 sinus infections yearly for most of my life. Have tried many antibiotics, but Ceftin works the best with the least side effects. I agree with other comments. After only 2 doses of a 10 day course I already felt 50% better. I am an RN and I have seen Zpak and Augmentin fail people during sinusitis treatment. This drug is my go-to now. It truly cures the infection. I only get maybe one acute sinusitis per year now, thanks to this drug."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Reduced severity of but didn't clear up a lung infection of unknown bacterial origin."

pro88 (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2016