User Reviews for Cipro

Surgical Prophylaxis

1 review 60 medications
Summary of Cipro reviews 5.8 249 reviews

Reviews for Cipro

For Urinary Tract Infection "Dr prescribed 500 mg twice a day for 5 days. The UTI was horrible, but I’ve never experienced such horrible side effects from an antibiotic. Nausea was debilitating, I was fighting to keep from vomiting. Couldn’t drive, because it had my head swirling. Headaches too! I stuck with it because the UTI scared me, but after just taking the last dose, I’m still certain my UTI is lingering. Maybe I’m imagining this, but my thinking and moods seem to have been dark. I regret taking this drug"

Nina (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2018

For Diverticulitis "Worked, no obvious side effects. Took the last pills yesterday (Cipro + Flagyl). I have been taking a probiotic as well."

Tom (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2018

For Prostatitis "I was prescribed Cipro for 45 days to combat a prostate infection. I had to stop taking it after about 40 days because I developed a dull pain with spasm in the kidney area. Laid awake last few days with odd headache and because of that discomfort. I can't attribute this change in health to anything but the Cipro. Deploying in 30 days so no time to do testing. Hoping this will go away."

Doug Ott... (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I get UTI's about once a year (bad enough to cause bleeding). I go to Urgent Care and get Cipro. It works wonders. Within 3-4 hours after taking only one pill the urgency and burning sensations are reduced to a bearable level. After 2 or 3 pills everything feels like normal again. Cipro is great forme. Unfortunately not everyone reacts the same to medications, it might be the worst thing ever for some people, but I've never had any adverse reactions to Cipro."

Sir Shatington (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 26, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Amazing! I’m 19 from the UK and was getting recurrent UTIs no matter what I did to prevent them. 2 rounds of nitrofurnantion & trimethoprim didn’t do the trick and symptoms were awful and in a lot of pain/discomfort. Was making me soo miserable. Doc put me on week long course of cipro & I felt sooo much better after the 1st dose! So happy! Don’t let the side effects scare you, and to be honest, even if I did happen to get side effects, it is a balancing act of relief or side effects anytime you take meds. Still got a few days left of taking it but I’m so glad how well this has worked in only the first dose! Hoping I never get one of these again and I hope all these bad reviews doesn’t put anyone off lol x"

Peeaftersex (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Seach up Quinolone Toxicity on the internet before taking this potent drug. I had repeated courses for UTI/Kidney infections from 1993 to 2008. I believe this drug has ruined my life. I have ME/CFS, anxiety/depression, achilles tendinitis of both heels, persistent severe dermatitis. To name just a few. If I had been made aware of the possibility of serious and lifelong side effects I would never had agreed to take this poison. I went from being an energetic sporty person who worked 2 jobs simultaneously because I liked being busy and social, and now to someone who hasn't been able to work since 2002. Don't take ANY of the Quinolone Antibiotics unless it's literally a matter of life or death and you have no other options."

Dundeefruitcake (taken for 10 years or more) July 23, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Do not take this drug, unless you're near death or exposed to anthrax or contracted the plague; seriously, that's what it's meant for. I took ONE pill of this and developed horrible popping in all joints, knee /leg/shoulder pain. The worst was the ER visit that followed 48 hours later, because I had rapid swelling in the eyes and light sensitivity with blurred vision. Scariest day of my life happened because of ONE pill of this poison. This awful medicine has black box warning from FDA and should not be given for basic infections."

Ker (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "RUN away from this drug as fast as you can, it is extremely dangerous and shouldn't even be approved. People have ended up crippled for life by taking just a few pills! If you just ingested this, I would recommend trying to throw it up, taking TUMS or calcium to counteract it, or drink milk while taking Magnesium so it does not go into your body. Then proceed to calling your physician and give them a telling off for trying to cripple you and not advise on the life destroying side effects reported with this poison. There are other options to fight infection without lifelong issues, unless you are literally dying from an infection, you have NO business taking this Med!"

Anna (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I have taken this a couple of times and never has it worked. I just can't convince the doctor, so we play his game and I suffer."

Agony (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "At first I was terrified to use this medication for my UTI based off of reviews. Currently on pill #4 for my UTI and am feeling almost 100% better. No bad side effects from the drug other than a few migraines."

Canada (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2018

For Diverticulitis "This works, but the side effects are horrible. Nausea, vomiting, muscle pain, right-side neck and shoulder pain and stiffness, mental fog and general malaise. This medication has "black box" warnings I was never told, what a mess. Quitting after 5 days and hoping for the best. Nasty stuff! If there is an alternative, they should not even prescribe this stuff!"

Yazmine June 18, 2018

For Bladder Infection "Unfortunately I can no longer take this drug. This has been my go too for years and was always able to “fix me”. I suffer from interstitial cystitis, chronic kidney infections and chronic UTI’s. After 11 days on 500mg 2x a day I found myself in the ER, looks as if the bacteria I have is now resistant to this medication. Please be careful when taking this I know how great it can work but your body can also become rejecting of it as well. It has given me many side affects at times and other times none at all. Best of luck to my fellow sufferers."

Renee June 17, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "2017 FDA Black Box warning issued for Cipro and other fluoroquinolones for severe permanent tendon damage that can take months to show up! Cipro should ONLY be prescribed as a last resort drug but a lot of doctors are unaware! Beware! Read the professional prescribing info on this website for the black box warnings."

Torn tendons (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2018

For Salmonella Gastroenteritis "FDA warns that Cipro should ONLY be taken as a last resort antibiotic for acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, acute uncomplicated cystitis, acute sinusitis and only if patients know the high risk of permanent injury from tendon ruptures, especially of the Achilles heel or thumb tendons! Read the FDA advisory (black box warning under professional info for cipro and other fluoroquinolones. You have to be careful because unaware doctors prescribe them for lots of other reasons as a first course antibiotic. Visit the FDA website and check it out! Luckily, I knew of the high danger of Cipro when an ER doc prescribed Cipro for salmonella and I asked him for another antibiotic. "

Catherine (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "This is my 10th day taking 500mg Cipro every day for a UTI. I'm laying in bed with severe pain in my lower stomach. I have noticed side effects ie lethargic, leg pain etc. I still feel like I have to urinate even though I just did. I'm still having the usual symptoms of pressure, pain, and frequency... In fact it feels worse. I have a call into my doctor, but wanted to let it run its course."

G May 3, 2018

For Surgical Prophylaxis "I was prescribed this after having a stent placed in my ureter due to kidney stones. Took as directed, one 500mg tab twice/day for 14 days. By day 3, I could barely tolerate the nausea, bloating, and headaches, but continued to take as prescribed. By day 5, after taking 2nd dose for that day, I started getting a pounding, accelerated heart rate followed by anxiety. Called my urologist office, doctor told me to stop taking the cipro immediately, so now its on my allergy list."

Net (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I'm 67 & have a sulfameth resistant UTI so my Doc next put me on cipro and after 5 days all symptoms have disappeared. I was very worried about the reported side effects but aside from some joint pain, I've had no problem. I will be completing my 10 day run of this drug to hopefully knock this infection out for good!"

Dana (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2018

For Diverticulitis "I took it twice, once in August and again in December. Since this drug is so strong it stays in your body for a long time. I ended up with Kidney Failure and ended up Hospitalized! Very scary, I was close to going on dialysis. Never, ever taking this drug again!"

Lmp (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2018

For Prostatitis "I've been on it 1000mg day for 21 days, have nausea, dizziness but is working on taking away pain and pressure. I have 10 more days to go."

joe April 22, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I took 1 Cipro 2 hours later so much pain in my stomach... I thought I would have had to go to the ER"

Stomackaxke April 11, 2018

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection "I have a petty mean case of cellulitis. I was prescribed cipro 2x's daily. The first day I took it, some of the redness seemed to lighten up, my body had aches all over, but I was still willing to proceed to get rid of the deep nasty pain of the infection. Can not use NSAIDS on cipro - so tylenol 4 times daily it was. Tylenol only worked about 2 hours and the pain was back plus. 3 days in the redness was growing and an ulcer had now formed. I kept taking it. I called my doctor on the 6th day and was told to keep taking the cipro. 8 full days and 1 half day later I was in ER. They scanned my leg, abscess is forming. WBC is higher than the previous week - it is doing nothing but making more pain all over my body. D/C Cipro and now on to Cephalexin 500MG 4 times a day. Man I hope something works fast!"

Betty Too (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Horrible side effects"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I have had a UTI for the past four months and other antibiotics were not working. I have allergies to a lot of antibiotics and was never given Cipro before. Day 3 and UTI is gone. On my side effect I have is a sinus headache, but I will suffer through because anything is better than the pain I was having with a UTI. No stomach pain or nausea. Sometimes you have to outweigh minor side effects to the infection itself. I would definitely take again. Also, I was told the more water you drink with this the better."

Micki6147 January 27, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I took cipro for a severe UTI that did not respond to treatment with amox clav it worked quickly and no side effects, I think the horror stories on this page are the extreme reactions and not the norm. Every body is different. Worked great for me ."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2018

For Pneumonia "I was given this medication for Pneumonia (extended period of time). I was severely agitated, very anxious, and had difficulty sleeping. After discharge from the Hospital, I was given Oral RX for home use. The symptoms stated above worsened and new symptoms began. I also take Klonopin. After much research, I found Cipro binds to GABA receptors causing displacement of the Klonopin (both bind to GABA). This caused Benzo Withdrawal Syndrome, which obviously put me in dire straits. I reported this to the FDA. It appears they are aware of this problem. Please be careful using these two medications together and research as more data is available now supporting these major interactions. Hopeful Black-box warnings will soon follow."

Mr.Skeptical (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2018