User Reviews for Cipro

Surgical Prophylaxis

1 review 60 medications
Summary of Cipro reviews 5.9 237 reviews

Reviews for Cipro

For Bacterial Infection "2017 FDA Black Box warning issued for Cipro and other fluoroquinolones for severe permanent tendon damage that can take months to show up! Cipro should ONLY be prescribed as a last resort drug but a lot of doctors are unaware! Beware! Read the professional prescribing info on this website for the black box warnings."

Torn tendons (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2018

For Salmonella Gastroenteritis "FDA warns that Cipro should ONLY be taken as a last resort antibiotic for acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, acute uncomplicated cystitis, acute sinusitis and only if patients know the high risk of permanent injury from tendon ruptures, especially of the Achilles heel or thumb tendons! Read the FDA advisory (black box warning under professional info for cipro and other fluoroquinolones. You have to be careful because unaware doctors prescribe them for lots of other reasons as a first course antibiotic. Visit the FDA website and check it out! Luckily, I knew of the high danger of Cipro when an ER doc prescribed Cipro for salmonella and I asked him for another antibiotic. "

Catherine (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "This is my 10th day taking 500mg Cipro every day for a UTI. I'm laying in bed with severe pain in my lower stomach. I have noticed side effects ie lethargic, leg pain etc. I still feel like I have to urinate even though I just did. I'm still having the usual symptoms of pressure, pain, and frequency... In fact it feels worse. I have a call into my doctor, but wanted to let it run its course."

G May 3, 2018

For Surgical Prophylaxis "I was prescribed this after having a stent placed in my ureter due to kidney stones. Took as directed, one 500mg tab twice/day for 14 days. By day 3, I could barely tolerate the nausea, bloating, and headaches, but continued to take as prescribed. By day 5, after taking 2nd dose for that day, I started getting a pounding, accelerated heart rate followed by anxiety. Called my urologist office, doctor told me to stop taking the cipro immediately, so now its on my allergy list."

Net (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I'm 67 & have a sulfameth resistant UTI so my Doc next put me on cipro and after 5 days all symptoms have disappeared. I was very worried about the reported side effects but aside from some joint pain, I've had no problem. I will be completing my 10 day run of this drug to hopefully knock this infection out for good!"

Dana (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2018

For Diverticulitis "I took it twice, once in August and again in December. Since this drug is so strong it stays in your body for a long time. I ended up with Kidney Failure and ended up Hospitalized! Very scary, I was close to going on dialysis. Never, ever taking this drug again!"

Lmp (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2018

For Prostatitis "I've been on it 1000mg day for 21 days, have nausea, dizziness but is working on taking away pain and pressure. I have 10 more days to go."

joe April 22, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I took 1 Cipro 2 hours later so much pain in my stomach... I thought I would have had to go to the ER"

Stomackaxke April 11, 2018

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection "I have a petty mean case of cellulitis. I was prescribed cipro 2x's daily. The first day I took it, some of the redness seemed to lighten up, my body had aches all over, but I was still willing to proceed to get rid of the deep nasty pain of the infection. Can not use NSAIDS on cipro - so tylenol 4 times daily it was. Tylenol only worked about 2 hours and the pain was back plus. 3 days in the redness was growing and an ulcer had now formed. I kept taking it. I called my doctor on the 6th day and was told to keep taking the cipro. 8 full days and 1 half day later I was in ER. They scanned my leg, abscess is forming. WBC is higher than the previous week - it is doing nothing but making more pain all over my body. D/C Cipro and now on to Cephalexin 500MG 4 times a day. Man I hope something works fast!"

Betty Too (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Horrible side effects"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I have had a UTI for the past four months and other antibiotics were not working. I have allergies to a lot of antibiotics and was never given Cipro before. Day 3 and UTI is gone. On my side effect I have is a sinus headache, but I will suffer through because anything is better than the pain I was having with a UTI. No stomach pain or nausea. Sometimes you have to outweigh minor side effects to the infection itself. I would definitely take again. Also, I was told the more water you drink with this the better."

Micki6147 January 27, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I took cipro for a severe UTI that did not respond to treatment with amox clav it worked quickly and no side effects, I think the horror stories on this page are the extreme reactions and not the norm. Every body is different. Worked great for me ."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2018

For Pneumonia "I was given this medication for Pneumonia (extended period of time). I was severely agitated, very anxious, and had difficulty sleeping. After discharge from the Hospital, I was given Oral RX for home use. The symptoms stated above worsened and new symptoms began. I also take Klonopin. After much research, I found Cipro binds to GABA receptors causing displacement of the Klonopin (both bind to GABA). This caused Benzo Withdrawal Syndrome, which obviously put me in dire straits. I reported this to the FDA. It appears they are aware of this problem. Please be careful using these two medications together and research as more data is available now supporting these major interactions. Hopeful Black-box warnings will soon follow."

Mr.Skeptical (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed an injection of the drug followed by a 1 x 2 dose of tablets. I am restless, I have developed wounds on my lips and the upper skin on my lips is burned permanently, tremors in the legs and hands, no appetite.....its horrible!"

OIA January 4, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Took cipro for a UTI twice a year for a couple of years. First time got a UTI and it was gone quickly then got another 6 months later, continued frequently, the whole time acquiring other issues.. When telling my doc they said I was getting older, the issues I was experiencing weren't from drug toxicity as they weren't going to stop writing the scripts Tinitis, neuropathy, small nerve neuropathy, vicious detachment, tremendous stomach issues, insomnia, depression, loss of memory Nerve damage or neuropathy has destroyed my life. I can't pick things up anymore without pain, the burning freezing feeling in my legs, feet, hands and fingers are are so painful at this point I'm losing the battle. The HORROR continues daily . Help me !!!!! Please"

Steampunk Works (taken for 10 years or more) December 14, 2017

For Bladder Infection "I rate it 6 put of 10."

Nuuraa (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "I live an holistic dairy free lifestyle, while on a cruise I developed a possible bladder infection & was prescribed Cipro, I lacked awareness & did not check it out. The side effects expanded & I stopped it after 4 days. I'm left with a chest infection cough & lots of mucus & multiple other effects to long to list. This drug needs to be banned from all minor UTI & bladder infections and only used to treat extreme infections"

Live in Joy December 5, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed this medication for twice a day for 10 days and on day 5, I had a tremor on my right hand and right after, my right arm and leg went numb. It was horrifying to experience especially because I am currently under getting a diagnosis if there being something wrong with my heart. So I didn't know if it was the pills or my heart until I started doing more research on the pill and tremors were a serious side effect. Yes I feel my UTI has gone away but I would NOT take again and I am still currently taking them but I'm going to talk with my doctor because I no longer want to use these drugs. Beside the tremor and numbness, I also became very tired, headaches, muscle pains, and nausea. Truly terrible to feel this way. I do not recommend."

KeileySJ August 16, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "I am a 67 year old female with no history of UTI until last week. PA prescribed Cipro 250. I can't sleep, I am having horrible heartburn, belching & burning. I have 3 tabs left & will finish taking because has helped the UTI. But I will not take again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2017

For Bladder Infection "Cipro is a Fluoroqunilone. The FDA has issued a Black Box Warning -- the most severe warning it can issue -- on all Fluoroquinolone antibiotics because they cause so many horrible, longterm side effects (like permanent tendonitis on multiple parts of the body) that may take years to come to light."

TPera (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "Was prescribed 6 over 3 day no appetite severe burning of my sinuses slow working"

Anonymous July 17, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed six 500mg Cipro pills for a suspected UTI, to be taken over three days. Cipro caused me to lose my appetite."

mac808 (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "I started experiencing side effects right after I took my last pill. I was prescribed 500mg 2x daily for 14 days. This was the first drug my urologist prescribed for prostitis. Now 3 days later foot and leg pain. This drug should not be used as the first option. It should be used only for severe issues. I misplaced my pamphlet so I I was unaware of the dangers. It should be a requirement that a FDA black box drug should be marked on the bottle with details in the pamphlet. I would have never taken this drug had I read what the possible side effects were. Sad part know one knows how to treat the side effects and they could be permanent."

Greg L July 2, 2017

For Prostatitis "30 day prescription up to 60. After first week of mild nausea and mild diarrhea I developed a weird tightness in my right hip, severe tennis elbow and weird pain/headache behind left eye for 2-3 days, bloating, some nights unable to sleep due to insomnia and tremors/weird body vibrations, mornings were hell due to my coffee drinking and the foggy brain. Do not drink coffee while taking this! 3 weeks after stopping I still have some prostatitis symptoms but have greatly improved but the side effects from the med of muscle tightness, brain fog, foot pain, hip pain, back tightness, lack of appetite and fatigue still remain but seem to be subsiding a bit. I wish the docs would explain the meds they prescribe but I don't think they really know!"

Chrude (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "I had a UTI with some blood showing in my urine prior to taking two 500mg Cipro tabs a day. Which I took for 3-4 days. I went for a short 1/2 mile walk. Toward the end of the walk I started limping as my right inner foot arch was becoming more and more painful to the point I couldn't walk efficiently anymore. I limped back home trying to figure out why was I having all the pain in my foot? As I didn't twist or turn it or anything like that? I stopped taking the Cipro and the tendon pain in my foot lessened each day. Cipro removed the infection, but it left me with permanent plantar fascia tendon damage in my foot. I wouldn't recommend Cipro to anyone. The first side effect listed is causes tendon damage-ruptures. Not good people/FDA."

Bill Dude June 9, 2017