User Reviews for Augmentin

1 review 63 medications
Small Bowel Bacterial Overgrowth

Summary of Augmentin reviews 6.1 281 reviews

Reviews for Augmentin

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection "Throughout the whole course I had horrible nausea and diarrhoea :/ 2 weeks after finishing the course I'm still sick! So fatigued, flu like symptoms, chills and sweats, terrible cramps and always in the bathroom. I've now been diagnosed with colitis from augmentin. I'm more sick after the course than I was before I actually needed the antibiotics!! I've never had a reaction to any other antibiotic so would never ever take that again."

nauseousgirl (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2018

For Bronchitis "Scary. I had taken this a year ago and had to stop after 2 days because I was getting really bad palpitations. Last week (I figured I'd give it a second try), I took 1 dose of Augmentin before bed and ended up in the ER about 4 1/2 hours later with a full body rash (after only 1 dose!). My skin was on fire. Purple blotches all over. Stomach upset. Back pain. Spent the next 3 days with a terrible rash and hives. Turns out I'm allergic to anything penicillin based (amoxicillin). I'm sure it's a very good/strong antibiotic for those that can tolerate it, but if you've had any type of an adverse reaction in the past, whether stomach upset or rash, etc., I'd highly advise staying away. Could be that you have an actual allergy and that it's not just a bad side effect of the drug. Stick with Levaquin!"

jarobeiz (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2018

For Bronchitis "Caused fatigue and bad stomach pain. Had to stop after 5 days, Anxiety too"

Bobby B (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2018

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "I get a bad flu, and bronchitis, unfortunately often, due to pneumonia as a baby damaging my lungs. Augmentin always works, with no side effects, except the general weakness of the illness. However, some doctors have prescribed stronger antibiotics, & they completely mess up my stomach, some with a burning sensation, & I end up losing weight. I am currently recovering, yet again, on Augmentin 625, once a day, 7 days."

Weak Lungs (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 5, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Badcold acute asmatic side effects bloaty pains while stooling and urine no sex pain hmm so wat yogurt use?"

Humorous (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2018

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "This drug is awful. I have 3 days left and I physically cannot handle it anymore. I'm intensely nauseous every day but I never vomit. I just drool at the mouth and dry heave until it wears away. But by the time the nausea settles it's time to take another pill! It makes going to work almost impossible. I also get unusual headaches and generally feel terrible. Unfortunately it's a holiday so I am unable to contact my doctor for something new. Considering risking it and quitting - never again."

jas93 (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2018

For Sinusitis "Was prescribed Augmentin 875/125 for a bad chest infection twice a day for 14 days six months ago, and I barely made it to day 10 and had to quit, I felt horrible, constantly sick to my stomach - gut sick, pain, bloating, gas, and my body felt like the flu, with body aches and strange sweat episodes, and a pounding heart beat occasionally. Recently, I had a bad case of sinus infection, so I requested a lower dose of 500mg when prescribed the same medicine for 7 days, twice a day. I am on day 5 today, and absolutely cannot take it anymore; same symptoms, I feel worse, my head is pounding, my stomach is completely full nausea and gut sick with pain, and I have experienced small low-grade fever with sweats this time, and brain fog. So that with all the body aches, and burning eyes -- I am just gonna let it go again, because I tried. I however, never had any reactions to Doxycyline or Keflex, but Augmentin, is like taking a flu pill for rapid onset."

George_B August 18, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Augmentin has worked really well on my recent UTI. I started 2 a day Augmentin for 7 days along with copious amounts of Cranberry Juice (see References below) and within less than a day temp was down from 103F to 99F. Pain had dropped from level 8 to a level 2 in a day. Take with yogurt or with a meal, increase fluid and fiber intake. Finish all the medicine even though your symptoms have gone after a few days. Prevention is the best approach. DO Wash hands thoroughly after wiping and before any contact near your urinary tract. References: Kontiokari, T., Sundqvist, K., Nuutinen, M., Pokka, T., Koskela, M., & Uhari, M. (2001). Randomised trial of cranberry-lingonberry juice and Lactobacillus GG drink for the prevention of urinary tract infections in women. Bmj, 322(7302), 1571. Howell, A. B., & Foxman, B. (2002). Cranberry juice and adhesion of antibiotic-resistant uropathogens. JAMA: the journal of the American Medical Association, 287(23), 3082-3083."

HomeDoc August 12, 2018

For Sinusitis "Med taken twice a day for 10 days did not clear up my sinus infection. I still have congested sinus and continue to have green mucus when I blow my nose."

FLgal (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2018

For Bronchitis "had bronchitis going on 1 week and finally visited a Dr. that prescribed Augmentin. Was also given an injection of another antibiotic and a steriod. This evening 12 hours later I'm feeling so much better"

jerrythesurfer (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2018

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "This caused major bleeding issues for me. After taking for a few days, I started bruising *really* bad and had problems eating anything because my stomach felt like a fire (I took it after eating to try and prevent that, but it didn't work). I was stuck with water, bread, and tiny-cut plain spaghetti. A week into the treatment, I develop a spontaneous LARGE hematoma on my backside that put me in the ER for a night. I may need to have it surgically removed in the next few days."

k (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "This medicine is causing me serious neck, shoulder, and back pain. I took the first dose around 5:30-6pm and woke up the next morning so sore it’s unsafe to drive because it hurts so much to turn my head and check my blind spot. I am supposed to take 875-125 mg tabs (whatever that means) twice a day for 10 days. I’ve taken 11 of 20 and have had difficulty functioning and sleeping since. I can’t wait for it to be over!"

Alana (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2018

For Bronchitis "I've always struggled with asthma/bronchitis since I was a kid. It has always been a yearly thing(usually around the summer). This drug always help me clear out the issue. It does take around 4-5 days with the help of my asthma meds, too.. but nonetheless, really effective. Giving it an 8 mainly because I had tried zithromax before and it relieved symptoms in 2 days."

G June 24, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "This medication seemed to make me urinate more and some abdominal cramps, nothing major. Doctor prescribed 1 tab, twice daily with food for 10 days. It's been 5 days so far (6-23-2018)"

MG1981 (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "I really hated it at first I vomited twice as it had the taste of metal. But then I tried something new and I didn’t feel the taste and had now problems. This is how I did it : First you need to take the amount of Augmentin (it has to be liquid form) you need , then take any type of apple juice about 110 ml , next you add an ice cube , after you add the Augmentin with the apple juice, finally add more apple juice and add a straw. .Now drink Small WARNING: at the end you might feel a little bit of it ."

Someone June 6, 2018

For Sinusitis "Was prescribed Augmentin 875/125 tab twice daily for 10 days for bacterial sinusitis. I am currently on day 8 now. I was a little iffy about this medication the first two days as it did upset my stomach and cause many trips to the restroom even using with food as directed. Day three I had a nasty headache and insomnia. But honestly, by day 4 I felt pretty good. Actually awoke without any congestion. Energy started returning. Day 5-6 I started having some nausea and congestion again upon waking but trips to the restroom stopped. Day 8, mild congestion but feel normal for once. Doc did advise if the post nasal drip etc didn't cease I may need to see an ENT. So I'd say that this med is doing it's job handling the bacterial infection at least. Feel 90% better. Symptoms were uncomfortable when they hit, not unbearable."

Jelz June 5, 2018

For Sinusitis "For a case of chronic sinusitis I was prescribed Augmentin. I took it for 10 days and had to stop as it was really messing with my gut. The main symptom of my sinusitis was a foul smell that can best be described as an "infected gym sock". The Augmentin did nothing for this. About two years later I was prescribed Keflex, and within two days the nasty smell was gone. Unfortunately, I now have a "sweet smell" and still suffer from not being able to smell most of the time. The sweet smell is much easier to live with, but I'll be going back to the doc to get a different prescription and hopefully can get rid of the sweet smell and restore my sense of smell."

DJ (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "I have 3 days left of Augmentin for sinus infection. I have had a mild headache and stomach cramps since taking this medicine. I forgot to take a pill at dinner and instead took it before bed. I couldn't get to sleep since I became very stuffy to the point that I couldn't breathe out of my nose. I started to feel heavy in my chest so I had to get up to get my breathing under control. I didn't realize that others have had similar side effects. I will call my doctor and see if she recommends I finish the medicine. No Augmentin for me next time."

Berni (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "I took it for a severely abscessed tooth. It did clear up after 5 days (2 1000mg tabs a day). However I felt horrible the entire time. Gave me so much anxiety that I had 2 panic attacks. I had headaches, stomach pain and diarrhea. No appetite even though you have to eat in order to tolerate the medicine. My infection was really bad and I'm thankful that the augmentin cleared it up but I'm not sure if I would be willing to take it again."

Jeffsgirl (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "Took the med for a sinus infection. ..worked well...no problem. Took it for a second infection...intestinal pain so bad I thought I might not survive."

Dpp514 (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "I don't tolerate antibiotics very well at all. I was put on this and it was ok at first. After a couple of days I definitely had severe nausea and some dizziness. I really had to force myself to eat. I was on 500 mg 2x daily for 10 days. I only made it for those 6 days, I wish I had made myself push through but I couldn’t work dizzy. I also itched a little bit not bad. Did not help UTI, probably because I stopped 4 days early. Side effects lingered a week even after I stopped."

Bossphio (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2018

For Otitis Media "So much pressure in my ears so I was prescribed augmentin. Couple days in I notice my left arm kinda hurts but paid no attention. Start having very large and constant bowel movements that smell like the pills lol. On the 9th day I break out in a cold sweat, fever, terrible left arm pain, and muscle weakness. Go to urgent care thinking I'm having a heart attack. Discontinue drug. Symptoms still persist and I think I have tendonitis in my left shoulder now. Very dizzy and weak despite stopping medication 4 days ago."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2018

For Sinusitis "Had a sinus infection for almost 2 months. Always have sinus issues. Completely better after 5 pills, 2 1/2 days. No side effects."

Jane May 5, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "It blows my mind that so many others are on here, telling people NOT to take this medicine. WHY?! Just because it didn't work for you/gave you a reaction, doesn't mean it won't help the next person. Had I listened to these negative comments, I might've never known the wonders this has worked on me. Long story short.. I've battled a horrible infection in my gums/jaw for a longtime. I was on penicillin, amoxicillin, clindamycin, etc! NOTHING helped at all. Finally landed myself in the ER, and was given augmentin. I was skeptical as nothing else had worked on this infection. Needless to say, I took as prescribed. Ate a meal at the start of ever dose, had yogurt after every dose as well. And it worked amazing for me!! Day 2 infection was finally gone! No harsh side effects, no stomach upsets etc. I truly believe if you've taken this with food and yogurt as you're suppose to, you'll be just fine."

Blah (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2018

"Full water system and kidney infection, had a fever of 101.5 (even after fever reducers, etc) when I was first given Augmentin. Within 12 hours, was feeling significantly better. Within 24, fever broke and abdominal issues began to abate."

Beth (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2018