User Reviews for Augmentin

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Augmentin.

Kidney Infections

5.1

Small Bowel Bacterial Overgrowth

Summary of Augmentin reviews 6.0 249 reviews

Reviews for Augmentin

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "I took it for a resp/sinus infection. I'm on day 5 and feel about 75% better. Still have yellow phlegm, but not as much as 5 days ago, sinuses are still clogged 50% of the day now. Using flonase and Tylenol as needed. The pills taste absolutely yuck, leaves an aftertaste as bitter as anything I've ever eaten. Takes about an hour to go away. Side note: Augmentin is not a "cure-all" It takes care of quite a few infections, but remember, the negative reviews you see here are from people who aren't responding to it. That means 1 of 2 things: You aren't taking it correctly or you're infection is something outside the spectrum that augmenttin can't cure. Now, the best thing to do would be to run cultures, but those cost a nice penny. So, it's just easier to start you on meds because it would most likely cover the organism you have. NOT EVERY infection is the same. Take all reviews w/ a grain of salt."

ricosiko (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2018

For Sinusitis "Day 5 and my sinus congestion is as bad if not worse. Had a fever on day 2, chronic headache despite drinking a gallon of water a day. Ruptured my eardrum Day 2 blowing my nose after using the neti pot my doctor insisted I try (never again!). So now I’m not supposed to blow my nose. Every other antibiotic I’ve been on started clearing up my symptoms within 2 days. As a teacher it’s next to impossible to be effective while sick like this. I have sinus and ear pain and tooth pain to contend with on top of lethargy and chronic headache. So for me Augmentin has been ineffective. Never again."

Kvaughn0719 February 10, 2018

For Pneumonia "It effectively put me in the hospital with c-dif a month after. Could of died. Not happy with this drug. As it killed every bacteria and the good bacteria too."

Antown February 8, 2018

For Sinusitis "6 weeks after stopping this. I still have nausea and exhaustion"

Photowonder (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2018

For Otitis Media "I had ear infection, the dr. gave me augmentin didn't help at all."

mos tzar January 8, 2018

For Sinusitis "I took Augmentin for Sinusitis and have been taking since 8 days that makes it 16 tablets and I still haven't noticed any side effect due to it. No diarrhea, no headache and no any other side effects that are usually described. In 8 days, my pain is reduced to 70% as I now need only 1 pain killer tablet through out a day (before this, I was taking thrice a day). I'm also taking steam and using Saline Nasal drops."

jaribhai (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2018

For Otitis Media "It made me throw up, dizzy, stomach ache and pale skin on first dose. I have a double ear infection. I did not gave any of the symptoms prior to taking it. I only had extreme pain in ears."

Double ear infection. January 3, 2018

For Small Bowel Bacterial Overgrowth "After two years of very helpful regiments of xifaxin my insurance will no longer cover it. My gastro wants me to take augmentin, back to square one. She must have forgotten that before the xifaxin I took augmentin and my symptoms would worsen with higher levels of bacteria that would spread. No No No!"

Sadder December 26, 2017

For Sinusitis "Was put on this for an ear and sinus infection. By my second day I was having bad stomach cramps, excessive bowel movements, some diarrhea, nausea, body aches, joint pain, fatigue, brain fog, nerve tingling in legs and feet, Constant headache, also I began spotting on my second day and it was one week before my period was due, this never happens, I spotted until my period started. I have three more days left and I feel worse than I did before I started it. My ear isn’t completely better yet either, my sinuses have cleared up some but not all the way. I called my dr and he said he is hesitant to change my script as my infection was/is so bad, asked that I just push through side effects. Never again!"

Yoda’s Angel (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2017

For Sinusitis "Knocked out a sinus infection in 4 days. No stomach discomfort(took Rephresh probiotic and Florastor). Got a pretty bad yeast infection but diflucan knocked that out."

Dreamgal31 (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2017

For Sinusitis "So today I started Augmentin & I’m 18... so after I took it, I felt light headed & very nauseous. Like so nauseous I was burping a lot. I haven’t made a Bowel movement since I’ve taken it so I don’t know for I have diarrhea.? And my stomach just HURTS. Should I stop taking it?"

LeahBae November 13, 2017

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "I have always had bad sinusitis this time it lead to my ear, nose, throat and eyes. I had to do something I was prescribed Augmentin 875 mg bid 10 days. (I received Amox/Clav). It has not cleared anything up and not to mention tonight I have severe nausea and thrush. Luckily I have a prescription for nausea on hand. I do not recommend this medicine."

Dr. Davidson (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2017

For Strep Throat "First it is a good medicine for sore throat and cough.. along with sinurest and nasal decongestant. I have taken azitromicin previously it takes 15 days to cure sore throat..but augmentin will take only 4 day to cure along with as I said previous drugs"

Kanthkum (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2017

For Sinusitis "I was prescribed Augmentin 875 mg every 12 hours 2 days ago . Today ( after 4 tabs) I began to have diarrhea and stomach aches . I was prescribed this drug because my indoor cat got loose outdoors and scared and scratched my hand and bit me. I am a senior lady who has had a blocked intestine before and after surgery got C Dif and am afraid to continue this drug as I may have a re occurrence. I'm stopping the dosage tonight and will see the MD tomorrow.I want off this drug! Oh, the reason I had C Dif was because I got Salmonella in the hospital and was given so much IV antibiotics."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2017

For Sinusitis "Prescribed 2000mg spread over two tablets a day for sinusitis. Lasted 2 days on the medication and had to stop. Severe nausea and wretched, general ill feeling, incredibly upset stomachs with excessive bowel movements, to the point mucus was being passed. Thrush and exposure to further infection resulted. Doctor took me off them with immediate effect and being put on something else tomorrow."

Mcgmjp October 13, 2017

"I'm only on my 3rd dose, but this is the first day in over a month that I have not had severe gastrointestinal pain/constipation/diarrhea, etc. I actually feel pretty good, but weak. First med was Cipro and that was a nightmare even though I've taken it before with no problems. Had to stop halfway through the 10 days. I was switched to Levofloxacin(Levoquin) and by the 3rd day of 5, I was not feeling human at all. I was just deathly ill and pain increased. Yesterday I was given Augmentin 500 twice daily for 10 days. Took the first pill last night, 2nd this morning. I feel human again so far! Time will tell. I'm just hoping I get none of the bad side effects. Already treated a yeast infection earlier this week from the other meds."

Houstonmommy October 7, 2017

For Strep Throat "In 2015 Aug my Doctor prescribe me Augmentin 625, for 10 days. After completing this course my strep throat problem was gone but I haven't been able to sleep for several months, sweating, feel like body is shaking and nightmare. Next 6-month acid reflux with too much burping with lots of air comes out and stomach cramps and problems with throat and colon and time to time ear pain. I started treatment like GARD, IBS. but my health becomes poor, even my immunity power goes down. In next 6 months, I stop all drugs and start taking healthy diet and regular exercise, I feel better and better."

Omee79 September 16, 2017

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection "Took this for 10 days after a cat bite got infected. Noticed hyperactivity during the course, but it was two days after I finished the course that the real fun started - fatigue, head fog, inability to do anything, weight loss (three kg in four days!), really bad insomnia (unable to sleep until 5 am), unable to stomach anything except carbs. After a week of this the nausea started, so that I couldn't eat anything without debilitating nausea. Headaches too. Am still in it after two weeks. Treating myself with ginger tea for nausea, slippery elm, probiotics, dandelion leaf and root for liver, lemon water, vegetable juices. I will never take this again."

catbite September 15, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed 250/125 Augmentin 3x daily for a bad UTI that was turning into a kidney infection and hadn't responded to Cipro. The fatigue, fever, and chills are bad enough with a UTI, but add Augmentin and it amplified it by 10. I have been in bed since I started taking it two days ago, I can't stop shaking and my joints feel like they're going to explode! Not to mention the vivid, hallucenenic type nightmares and the constant feeling of paranoia and feeling on the brink of a panic attack!! If you have anxiety like I do DO NOT TAKE THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE TO!!! I had a mental breakdown about taking another dose as I don't feel I can handle these side effects much longer. 9/10 would not take again, doesn't seem to be helping the infection"

NeverAgain94 (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2017

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection "This med was given as a result of a deep gouge from a dog nail. Healing was not occurring after 4 weeks including a trip to a ambulatory care. My doc said they treated it incorrectly. He prescribed this. I have an appointment at the wound center Tues. Dr also said it needed debriding. After 5 days I see no improvement. If anything the area is more red and sore."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2017

For Sinusitis "Had such a bad sinus infection that my right eye and face was swelling. Got 875 Augmentin twice daily. On day 2 and swelling stopped and I can see out of eye. Sore throats and nose running because my sinuses are now draining! No GI or side effects. Love it so far."

Vicksterama386969 August 31, 2017

For Otitis Media "So far its slowly working for my ear infection. The pain has lessened but still have mild pain. I'm on my 4th day. Hopefully in 6 days the ear will be completely healed. There are some minor side effects I have noticed. Particularly some joint pain but it is not bad and mild. Maybe a little nausea in my stomach too, but very mild. I'm just happy my pain has lessened in the ears. I took the augmetin generic for Amoxicillin/clauvantic acid 875mg twice daily for 10 days."

dikeee (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2017

For Bacterial Infection "I started Augmentin on Thursday morning because I had typhoid. My doctor insisted it will clear it and make me feel better. Since Thursday, I have experience extreme diarrhea, nausea, and body pains. I wake up 8 -10 times during the night to vomit and stool. Both happens simultaneously and as at this morning of the fourth day, I feel like I might never get better. I am going to stop it. I have no more strength to even puke or sit up. I can't lie on my belly or back either and my two sides are aching seriously due to the constant support"

Teebhanks (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2017

For Sinusitis "I will never take this drug again. I was prescribed a 10 day/twice a day dose for a sinus infection. I took one pill. Within 4 hrs of taking the pill I was experiencing fever like chills, tingling, nerve pain in my feet and restlessness. I had nightmares and a terrible night's sleep. The worst part is the headache I can't shake and the extreme fatigue. My head feels like it's in a vice. I've done nothing but sleep all day -- only moving to take Advil which barely touches the headache. I just assume suffer through the sinus infection rather than experience the past 24 hours on this drug."

Birdy53 July 2, 2017

For Bacterial Infection "I was prescribed augmentin for a dental infection/tooth abscess. When I went to the dentist, I had already been on 3 or 4 days of penicillin. The penicillin didn't seem to be clearing the infection, and the dentist couldn't get me in for a root canal for another week. There the augmentin came into play. The first dose I took on an empty stomach (couldn't eat with my throbbing face). So I had some nausea and just figured it normal. The next dose I took with food, as directed. I puked viciously. I took another dose or two and had similar results... so much nausea and vomiting, it was hard to appreciate the fact my face wasn't throbbing. So it works well on infections, hard on the stomach though."

whooaanelly (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017