User Reviews for Augmentin

Learn more about Augmentin.

Strep Throat 22 reviews 30 medications

5.3
Small Bowel Bacterial Overgrowth 1 reviews 4 medications

Summary of Augmentin reviews 209 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Augmentin

For Sinusitis "I stopped taking mine this morning, with five doses remaining.The day I began the augmentin, I experienced shortness of breath. I chalked that up to being sick. The next day of taking them, I noticed the insomnia. It was 3:30 a.m. and I thought it was 9 p.m. I was wide awake. Morning before last, I woke to find something that felt like pork fat sitting in my jaw. I pulled it out. The entire inside of my inner left cheek had peeled off and bled like mad. It is healing but eating is miserable. The final straw was, at the time my cheek peeled, I started having a left side facial tic and extreme tenderness beneath my jaw bone on that side. I WON'T be taking this again."

Jegra4355 March 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin and Structure Infection "Started on augmentin the day prior to a simple tooth extraction. It gave me a slightly upset stomach but quickly subsided with yogurt/probiotics etc. Took more augmentin after extraction, no upset stomach but noticed tiny bumps on lower half of face and neck. Started to feel hot and kind of itchy, very shaky. Shortly after I started burping and felt hungry like I hadn't eaten in days. An hour after 3rd dose was like a scene from the Exorcist. Never vomited so hard in my entire life, it was painful. Doc said to stop taking it - no duh. Stopped taking augmentin but nausea and exorcist vomiting still here. Face still hot and bumpy, skin itchy. Never allergic to reg. amoxicillin. I want this new med outta my system! NEVER AGAIN"

worse off (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "After one dose I was in ER. I was vomiting violently and became very confused. My husband said I kept asking the same questions over and over. I had memory loss and still can't remember the day I took the dose. I had an MRI and did not have a stroke, all other tests were normal. It might work well for some but clearly it really affects others negatively."

rhaeg (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection "BEST thing in the world for a ear infection. Dries up the water in the ear along with killing the bacteria running amok in there. Have used this for 30 years for my annual weather change induced inner ear infection with no side effects. Works better than a z-pak."

Dhk12300 January 17, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis "I found this to be a safe and effective drug. I have chronic sinusitis. A 20 day course puts the sinusitis in remission. I also have small intestine bacterial overgrowth. While I was prescribed the medication for sinusitis, I found a spectacular improvement in my acute and chronic small intestinal bacterial overgrowth."

sinusitis/small intestines (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 16, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis "Horrible, horrible experience. I'm a healthy (no pre existing conditions, exercises regularly, maintains healthy diet) female in my mid 30s. Rarely take meds, especially antibiotics, so when I do they usually work well. I was a little nervous to take augmentin because the dose was so strong, but the doc was adamant because I had a very severe sinus infection. By the third dose my whole body was reacting. No relief from the sinus congestion, horrible headache, very anxious/nervous, nightmares, night sweats, zero appetite, insomnia, blurred vision, horrible horrible yeast infection (I have never had a yeast infection in my entire life). Called the doc hysterically crying and was told to stop taking it immediately. Stay far away!!"

JennsReviews January 12, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis "This drug was the worse. I'm still recovering. Starting taking this on 12/28 for SI. I take daily probiotics and increased them since I expected some stomach upset. At first not so bad but by Friday 12/30. The yeast infection from hell reared its ugly head. I had Diflucan on stand by just in case and took it 12/31 and stopped Augmentin altogether Nothing and normally it's hours when I feel relief. I had to get Monistat 1 on New Years to help fight it. Just got relief as of 1/4. Digestive still not normal. Never again. Unless my life depends on it."

TeePooler January 7, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis "Started a 10 day regimen 3 days ago for a sinus infection but stopped today. Terrible GI reaction with diarrhea. Also now having restless legs at night."

Sarah223 December 31, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection "My 16 month old daughter was prescribed this for an ear infection, her first ear infection ever. She's never been on antibiotics before. This drug is tearing up her insides. We're on day four of ten and I'm not giving it to her anymore. Going to the dr today for other options. She's been crying, screaming, writhing with stomach pain and I feel like the cure is FAR worse than the ear infection!!! Wish I'd known how strong it was before I picked it up. Horrible!!!"

Emma's Momma December 30, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Otitis Media "was prescribed a 10 day course of augmentin for ear infection and bronchitis, and by day three had diarrhea, a severe headache and nausea. started probiotics and that helped a little. now after being off of it for 1 day i have developed a yeast infection. the meds did help the infection but i felt like i was going to die in the meantime. i will never take this med again"

Anonymous December 22, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Otitis Media "After 3 doses of 875mg Augmentin for Ear infection had severe abdominal cramping and diarrhea...no relief for the ear...had to call Dr fro different Rx"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis "I loved the Antibiotic. If you take probiotics and eat yogurt you'll be fine. If you're sensitive to antibiotics and get yeast infections easily. I recommend asking you GP for diflucan 2 pills take it 2 or 3 days into the antibiotic course then on day 6 or 7."

becca313 December 15, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "I am now on day 7 taking Augmentin for upper respiratory and sinus infection. Was so ill could not wait to start taking it. I feel a lot better but still not there yet. Still have dry cough at night and sinus problems. On 2nd day if taking developed diarrhea very dark and loose. Still have it but not as severe. These are just inconveniences compared to how sick I was. Glad I'm taking it"

Buttercup15 December 15, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis "I would NEVER recommend this drug to ANYONE! Took 1 pill about 3 hours before bed. Finally got to bed at 3 am, and layed there for an hour with such nausea I had to get up. Tried to take some Pepto-Bismol for it and no sooner than I took it, I got violently ill! I was vomiting the rest of the night until around 6 am. I have no problem at all with taking regular Amoxicillin, so whatever else is in here, my body rejects it strongly! One minute I'd be sweating like it was 120 degrees, the next I'd have the chills so bad it felt like I was outside with shorts and a tank top on in the middle of winter (like now). NEVER AGAIN! Stay as far away from this drug as possible!"

Hezz806 (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pneumonia "I always get bronchitis in February. Last February was no exception but it actually went into pneumonia very quickly. Probably had something to do with fact I was moving that week...Worked too hard and got no rest. Had no choice, went to Urgent care and as I said I get bronchitis every yr. Always take Z-pack, good cough syrup and an atomizer and rest and get well. This time they gave me Augmentin. 875 mg. twice a day for 10 days and Steriod round and cough medication. Long story short ended up in ER with Jaundice. and weakness that was indescribable. Spent a wk. in hospital pushing fluids as this was a rare reaction to the Augmentin. Very scary drug. Tested me for everything. Dr was convinced that it was a reaction to the Augmentin."

Millie 7 December 6, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Strep Throat "My opinion is that it is of the best out there.My throat sore(streptoccocus pyogenes) went away in 4 days without any side effects."

Mark Bristol (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"By the time I was prescribed this medication, I was at the tail end of a two week old. The doctor saw some spots on my throat and prescribed it. The medication has made me more miserable than the actual disease. I can't keep any food in my stomach, and I have constant headaches as well as lingering nausea. Constantly sleepy and tired. It's been four days at this time and I think I will have to stop early. My doctor prescribed 875 mg two times a day for 10 days."

Darp2 (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bronchitis "After just 2 doses of planned 10 day 2x/day 875mg treatment got VIOLENTLY ILL, literally projectile vomited on brand new carpet as I couldn't get the 10 feet to toilet fast enough. Stopped medicine immediately but still had massive, continuous diarrhea for almost 3 weeks, lost 17 lbs in 14 days! It was so bad/went on so long the Dr actually tested me for Cdiff, which was negative. Will never, ever take this again!"

Jkflip88 November 18, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin and Structure Infection "Took Augmentin for a bacterial infection in my foot. This is rough stuff. During the 10 day cycle, although it cleared up the infection in my foot, I had begun to develop headaches, felt weak and tired, sleeplessness, and some stomach discomfort. It works well if you can endure all the side effects. Would not recommend if other options are available."

whit. (taken for less than 1 month) October 29, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "I was prescribed Augmentin several months ago for a severe sinus and upper respiratory infection, 8 days into a 10 day course I was even more sick than when I started. I ended up on Levaquin and steriods for 14 days as a result. Once again a few days ago my primary care prescribed Augmentin for another sinus & UTI despite my protests. Within two days my chest is considerably worse and I am also experiencing terrible stomach pain and nausea. I will be on the phone tomorrow insisting on a new medication."

Eonssomd (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "My chest infection has got worse after 7 days on Augmentin. I am usually given amoxicillin. So Amoxicillin has kind lost its effectiveness. Augmentin contains Amocilillin as well. I assume this is why it is not working for me. Over here, there's no test or sharing medical history. I think GP's choice of antibiotics is bit ramdon. But if amoxicillin is not working anymore, I would not use Augmentin."

Monica Q October 12, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection "I took one dose yesterday afternoon and subsequently had THE WORST 12 hours of my entire life, bar none. Intense nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain... I'm left feeling very weak and still have pain in my stomach. What a nightmare."

LadyLMO (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection "Don't know what's worse....the cellulitis infection or side effects of augmentin. Headache, gassiness, bloating, stomach upset from day one. Horrible vomiting on day 5. Thank goodness I only have 7 day Rx. Calling Dr tomorrow and will beg not to take last 2 days or switch to something else."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection "I had an external ear infection for almost 18 days, on my first check up the doctor prescribed Clindamycin, but that didn't work on me. About 2 weeks later i still have no signs off healing through Clindamycin, I decided to be checked-up again with different doctor (ENT) & I was diagnosed with Chondritis. He prescribed Augmentin 625mg, 3x a day, every 8hrs. and Inoflox, which is also an antibiotic for twice a day. I experienced side effects such as diarrhea that lasted only on 2nd day. I just realized that this side effect are temporary. Now i am on my 4th day on these antibiotics, i can say that im healing and my ear forms back again to its normal size."

Alex Celine (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis "Went in to the urgent care thinking I had strep but found it was a sinus infection. Been using this for 4 days now and I thought it was helping pretty good and the pain had went away some but then now I feel like its going backwards and I keep getting ear and throat pain again but only at night and I seem to feel better during the day time."

ItsAng September 19, 2016