User Reviews for Augmentin

Augmentin has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 379 ratings on Drugs.com. 41% of those users who reviewed Augmentin reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Strep Throat   6.9
Aspiration Pneumonia   1.0
Summary of Augmentin reviews 5.6 379 reviews

Reviews for Augmentin

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2021

For Strep Throat: “Took augmentin for a severe case of strep throat, throat started to look better after 24 hours after 2 days I felt like a brand new person, no side effects at all, best drug out there!!!”

GS · Taken for less than 1 month January 23, 2021

For Bacterial Infection: “Taking Augmentin 875/125 2x daily prophylacticly to prevent infection from deep puncture cat bite. 5 days in there is no sign of infection, and everything appears to be healing fine. So, it seems to have potentially prevented infection. But wow, did it make me feel awful. Brain fog with difficulty focusing mentally and visually. No energy. Lots of nausea, lack of appetite, and generally feeling out of it. Diarrhea occurs without enough fiber. As other have said I think it's increased my anxiety significantly. Haven’t had any panic attacks for a long time, until this beauty. I’m not sure I’ll ever know if it prevented an infection or not. I do know that it caused me to feel like absolute crud!”

kk January 13, 2021

For Bacterial Infection: “Taking this for an unknown bacterial infection - confirmed with CBC but I personally suspect it's early onset of appendicitis. I'm on a pretty high dose according to my doc (500mg 3x daily) and oh man. The brain fog is maybe the worst symptom. It starts in about an hour after taking it and settles in for a few hours. It just feels hard to focus on anything, like my vision is blurred almost. Between that and the insomnia, nausea if I eat food anytime between doses, and diarrhea what a fun medication!! Loss of appetite too i've noticed. I think it's increased my anxiety too but i'm a bit of a hypochondriac to begin with so idk my anxiety might be increased just because this drug is whacky. I'm on this thing for 10 days. Today is day 3. Noticed an improvement in my infection symptoms I think? Much less abdominal pain, but its hard to get a good gauge on that when you're having diarrhea so much!!”

Colt · Taken for less than 1 month January 8, 2021

For Bacterial Infection: “Got a very deep cat bite and ended up getting a bad infection up my whole arm. I left the hospital and was in the emergency room the next because after 2 doses and 24 hours it was actually spreading. After 48 hours the swelling finally started to go down which I was happy about but I started getting severe side effects as well. Constant feeling of vomiting, complete loss of appetite, and slight to severe confusion. (poured chips out of bag onto counter thinking i had a bowl out. And calling things by the wrong name constantly).”

mamabear · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2021

For Bacterial Infection: “Took Augmentin for bad sinus infection, after day two symptoms decreased a lot. I could smell things I haven't smelled in months. Day 3 vaginal itching, day 4 worse vaginal itching and headache. Decided to treat for yeast infection. Day 5 feeling better. Taking probiotics with it daily. Have had some diarrhea but I have IBS so nothing more abnormal than usual. Even though the side effects aren't pleasant, it worked better that any antibiotic I've been thrown this year for this everlasting sinus infection.”

Katy · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Ok. I thought I could alleviate the absolutely horrible side effects associated with this medication by avoiding the adverse drug interactions and making sure I took each dose on a full stomach, but no. This is the antibiotic is awful. The debilitating side effects that I have experienced beginning on Day 4 are unrelenting nausea, headache and body aches. I can work and function with the flu, but this is worse than the flu. This is my third time attempting to take this medicine. I’ll never try it again. Avoid at all costs!”

NEVER USE · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Augmentin made may UTI incredibly worse. I'm 31 year old male with no catheter who had no urinary symptoms before taking Augmentin w/ Probiotics. This drug is truely awful.”

DW · Taken for less than 1 month December 3, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “Took first Augmentin dose at 10 pm about 4 hours after dinner. Threw up violently every 2 hours from 1 AM through the night. Didn’t take next dose this morning and super nauseous, tired and not hungry all day. Going to request different drug. To be fair I did not take with food at Exact same time. And did not know to take probiotics a couple hours later until after reading everyone’s advice.”

D November 26, 2020

For Strep Throat: “Augmentin worked fast within 3 days for my strep throat, but the diarrhoea and stomach aches I had taking this was awful. Even for a few days after I had finished the 10 days of Antibiotics. First few days I experienced some trouble sleeping, night sweats and the headache here and there. Generally worked well, but side effect were not fun.”

otterhere November 20, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “I was prescribed Augmentin for a severe infection at the root of the tooth (I don't even see dental abscess listed as an indication for use here, but the dentist seemed enthused). I was in absolute agony, and the infection had to be cleared up before the tooth could be pulled. Well, first came the sticker shock! I couldn't believe my prescription was over $30 for a generic version, but figured this had to be good stuff. Two days later no improvement, but explosive watery diarrhea every couple of hours despite probiotics. Having been a caregiver, I recognized a C. diff infection. Sure enough, Googling confirmed that Augmentin is notorious for inducing this! I knew this wouldn't be tolerable for the remainder of the course of treatment, plus it can lead to colitis, so I begged to be switched to a "plain" antibiotic. After a day on that, I already feel so much better, and thank goodness the C. diff seems to be resolving on its own. The $2 price tag for amoxicillian was nice, too!”

reviewingt · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I took augmentin for prostatitis since I had faecalis bacterial infection. I took it for 21 days then decided to stop because of the tinnitus that started on day 10. I stopped taking it day 21 hoping it goes away I do not recommended this. I took this to try to avoid cipro and fluoroquines only to get a side effect from this”

ChinaDoll · Taken for less than 1 month October 14, 2020

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: “This medication Augmentin is absolutely horrible on me. I’ve been prescribed this twice. I’ve taken it with and without food and both times I vomited violently to the point I was hospitalized. I became so dehydrated they couldn’t even get a urine sample by catheter. I sweated so badly my jeans I had on and t shirt took two days to air dry. I became so delirious from vomiting that I stripped naked in front of my mother and children, then passed out. She called the ambulance. I couldn’t handle a days dosage neither time.”

Soulsurvivor66 · Taken for less than 1 month October 6, 2020

For Skin and Structure Infection: “My cat bit my ankle in 5 places. Out of hours GP gave me Augmentin 500/125mg to take 3 times a day. 1st 7 days fine apart from urinating, diarrhoea had to force feed myself as no appetite. 7 days nurse came for 2nd time one of the bites fine the others raring to go. It gave me cellulitis. Leg was red, black swollen plus my neck. So GP gave me another 7 days worth. (Had 2 days break). bad diarrhoea/accidents Lying in bed being sick high fever, migraines, feeling so ill. Perspiring, tight chest, palpitations,itchy vagina, became very depressed. I was in a foul mood, memory loss and acid reflux. I thought I had septicaemia. Therefore I only took 3 days of the new pack. By Monday I felt great apart from another bite came up. Nurse dressed and GP put me on Flucloxacillin 500mg and so far so good. Please note these pills are awful. Trying to force food down when you feel so very ill is terrible. Glad it worked for the first week (with slight of the above side effects.) I’d rather give birth!!”

Jem · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “I took my first Augmentin pill at 1pm after eating a burger and at 5:30pm. I threw up after having severe nausea and headache. I went to after hours at 6:30pm and they gave me medicine Zofran and then a shot for nausea and said not to take any more that I was having a side affect to it. It did not help and I threw up 3 more times when I got home. Last time was 2am. I do not recommend this if you have not taken it before. It has been a horrible experience.”

Tired August 31, 2020

“Took this drug for 5 days. Did not help at all! Side effects were body aches, anxiety, cloudy brain, dizziness! I stopped 2 days ago and I still feel terrible! Can’t skip work because I had to take time off while taking this nasty drug! Do not take this unless your life depends on it!”

Anonymous August 25, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “This is a strong antibiotic and it’s horrible on the stomach.. after only a couple of hours, my entire stomach was hurting very badly with severe diarrhea and anxiety. I switched to Keflex hoping it’s better”

fiffie July 26, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Augmentin worked by day 2 better by day 3, 2 x day 875 strength. Does cause diarrhea and stomach pain but works.”

Lilly June 12, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “It has been widely accepted that stopping antibiotic treatment early encourages bacteria to develop antibiotic resistance. That is why you should immediately consult with your doctor if you stop taking it. Amoxicillin only didn't give me much side effects. Just started taking Co-Amoxiclav for bowel inflammation. Hopefully will work too.Will see. Take care everybody.”

anon · Taken for less than 1 month May 22, 2020

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “Took Augment 10 days twice a day, 875mg. Great experience but did not fully get rid of my stubborn infection. It only made me a little gassy with no other side effects.”

AllOkay · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2020

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “I took augmentin for a nasty stye that was getting increasingly worse. I do not have a good track record with antibiotics as I have either broken out in hives or it has caused some intolerable mood swings. I was nervous about taking it, but the stye caused me so much pain that I gave in. Hours after the first dose, the stye came to a head and immediately started draining. It felt like so much of the pain had finally left my eye. By day 4, other than the scar/scab, my eye looks and feels like normal. My digestion is a bit out of whack, but I deal with other complicated gastro issues, so this was not a big deal for me. Probiotics and kefir to help!”

CJ · Taken for less than 1 month May 8, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I have had recurring UTI’s and have tried just about ever antibiotic and nothing else has helped me. Cephalexin did nothing and I am allergic to Bactrim. Cipro caused me to have severe tendinitis in my Archilles tendon. However I am doing well on Augmentin and can put up with the loose stools as I started feeling better by day 3. Taking a Probitrinol probiotic is helping me as Florastor did not work for me. Drink plenty of water and get lots of rest. Not all medications work for everyone so trial and error will work the best.”

e · Taken for less than 1 month April 4, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “I am still having severe vagina pain 9 months after taking this very horrible drugI I have tried so many different things, can someone out there please help me! IT HAS BEEN A HORRIFIC NIGHTMARE THAT HAS RUINED MY LIFE!”

Lacey · Taken for less than 1 month March 31, 2020

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “I was prescribed Àugmentin (Amox-Clav) 125mg every twelve hours for 10 days. Starting having diarrhea the day I started and by day five I became so sick I thought I was going to have to go to the ER. Horrible stomach pain and cramps, fever, extreme weakness, painful muscles mainly in legs, nasty sweat, nightmares, and I lost my sense of smell...which may have been a good thing since I was pretty much stuck in the bathroom. The fever and pain lasted two days after I stopped taking the augmentin on day five. The diarrhea has continued (on day eight after discontinuing drug) and is pretty much spontaneous. I can’t go anywhere. I have never had stomach issues in my life (I’m 50). I fear my gut is damaged beyond repair. This is a nasty, nasty drug. Also has worsened my depression and mental state in general.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 25, 2020

For Strep Throat: “Augmentin is a powerful drug and within 2 doses for strep throat my throat started to open back up. I could breathe easier and swallow without too much pain. However, it gave me the worst headache I have ever had. I tried tylenol, ibuprofen and BC powder and my head still felt like it was going to explode. Switching to Amoxicillin. I just hope it works as well as Augmentin without this terrible side effect.”

Riley · Taken for less than 1 month March 21, 2020

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “I had a stye that turned into cellulitis with extreme swelling, redness and pain. If you google the most extreme pics of periorbital cellulitis, I looked worse than those. My lower eyelid was so swollen that it was projected so far out that when I closed my eye, my inside tissue, the mucous membrane was completely exposed. It felt like my skin was ripping apart. I was prescribed 1000mg Augmentin and after the first tablet, I was about 25% better. After the second tablet, all pain was gone and it went down to looking like a normal stye again. This was in just 24 hours. By the end of day 3 you'd never know it happened. I've also been prescribed Augmentin for bronchitis and respiratory infections and it's quick and works great for those as well.”