User Reviews for Augmentin

1 review 63 medications
Small Bowel Bacterial Overgrowth

Summary of Augmentin reviews 6.0 293 reviews

Reviews for Augmentin

For Sinusitis "I'm on day 3 out of 10 of Augmentin 875/125 twice day for a sinus infection so far haven't had any serious side effects, however I'm starting to experience loss of appetite, drowsiness, diarrhea, and dizziness within the first 2.5 hours of taking a dose. It is also causing insomnia, but I take a sleeping pill and I'm fine. Other than that the medicine is working great I'm feeling better already (I can breathe again, my head doesn't feel like 100lbs! pressure is inside it) it is a very strong antibiotic so if you take it be sure to drink PLENTY of fluids, get lots of rest and try some yogurt for the abdominal cramps from the diarrhea it seems to help for me!"

savvy (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2019

For Bronchitis "Horrible allergic rash that is still visible two weeks later"

S (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2019

For Sinusitis "I was giving this by ER doctor for sinusitis. I took the first dose at ER then didn't get a chance to fill the prescription for a week. Was still feeling a little bit ear congestion from sinusitis so I grabbed it. First pharmacy dose gave me non stop diarrhea and severe nausea like my stomach was going to explode. So now I drink probiotic yogurt with full meal. Took 2 more times not as bad but constant anxiety. Had to stop as felt worse when taking it. Head congestion pretty much gone though I just decided to take Mucinex and I feel like that has helped even though still dealing with it a bit. Never taking it again."

Baby (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2019

For Bronchitis "I don't know how effective this is but I do know that every time I take this I get so nauseous, bouts of diarrhea and am really gassy. It goes away after about 2 hrs but totally not worth it. Will be asking for something different."

IzzyBear (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2018

For Sinusitis "Experienced severe insomnia 5 days into to the treatment. When attempting to sleep, I would be jolted awake with a surge of adrenaline. Quit treatment 8 days in. People need to know that antibiotics kill good and bad bacteria and that gut and mood health are linked."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2018

For Bronchitis "Knocked out in short order a bad case of Bronchitis. Coughing jags that were out of control stopped within the first 24 hours. Now on eighth day of meds and feel human again. Only side effect was slight diarrhea ."

Bill E (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "Prescribed Augmentin fairly frequently for diverticulitis (as I suffer from autoimmune neutropenia too I am on a lower threshold for treatment as risk of life threatening infection is high). I always feel better after two days but that's when the gates of hell open and the side effects knock me out completely. If I don't take in enough fluids my kidneys feel like they'll explode, I feel so incredibly weak and lifeless, it gives me a constant headache for the duration of treatment, nausea, no appetite, diarrhoea, intestinal pain worse than what it's supposed to treat, and it causes my emotional state to deteriorate severely - I can't stop crying and feel so very stressed, agitated, and anxious. "

Bean (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "ER doctor prescribed this 2x/day for 10 days for colitis, believed to be caused by a bacteria. The only side effects I've experienced is nausea, with the first two doses. Otherwise, no other issues. Three days down, seven more to go..."

Jillyn31 (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2018

For Sinusitis "First dose with dinner. Went to bed about 2 hrs later, woke suddenly barely able to make it to the bathroom, began vomiting then couldn't get off the floor, too weak. Began shaking, son called ambulance and next thing I remember was seeing my dad in a chair beside my bed in ER. Was on fluids, Dr came in and gave me Demerol. I went to sleep & don't remember leaving hosp or going home. That was entire experience. Never been so violently ill. Still have no idea why it made me so sick."

Kaylyn (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2018

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection "I feel like the people that come on here to read reviews are people like me who have anxieties about taking medications. I needed this medication for a skin infection after my c section. I was nervous about the symptoms after reading the comments on here but I had ZERO problems with this medication. I was prescribed 875mg 2x daily. I made sure I ate a pro-biotic yogurt before starting this med and had one every day for 7 days until I was finished. I had no upset stomach or diarrhea."

Gi (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2018

"Took 5 days of 625mg twice daily course after a dental procedure. While on it I had severe headache, hot flushes, chills, depression, nausea and anxiety. I didn't not experience diarrhea though. 2 days after finishing the course I got a vaginal yeast infection. The last yeast infection was 5 years ago when I was on 3 months course of z pack for acne. It cleared up my tooth infection but I'm never having it again. Not worth the side effects"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2018

For Sinusitis "Positives: -Sore throat and Eye Infection gone. Negatives: -Woke up to spine, neck, chest, left arm pain to the point I thought I was having a heart attack. -Numb limbs, ears, and eye pressure. -Nightmares, such as birds attacking and pecking my brain. -Non stop migraines that affected my vision, and thought I had a brain tumor or aneurysm. -Brain fog and fatigue that I can barely hold a conversation. -Acid reflux. -Heart palpitations that wakes me up in my sleep. -Food and water tastes bitter with an after taste. -Dry eyes and photophobia. -Wake up in the mornings feeling hungover and disoriented. You can see the cost/benefit of this medication."

Al SD (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2018

For Otitis Media "This is the only medication that works for my chronic ear infections. I get 5-6 ear infections per year, I’m 23 so not a common problem at my age. The last two infections I ruptured my ear drum, which is extremely painful, but within 1 days of taking augmentin the drainage has stopped and after 3 days the pain is completely gone. I usually notice some GI issues, but I can deal with it for how well this medication clears the infection."

MD8700 (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2018

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection "Throughout the whole course I had horrible nausea and diarrhoea :/ 2 weeks after finishing the course I'm still sick! So fatigued, flu like symptoms, chills and sweats, terrible cramps and always in the bathroom. I've now been diagnosed with colitis from augmentin. I'm more sick after the course than I was before I actually needed the antibiotics!! I've never had a reaction to any other antibiotic so would never ever take that again."

nauseousgirl (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2018

For Bronchitis "Scary. I had taken this a year ago and had to stop after 2 days because I was getting really bad palpitations. Last week (I figured I'd give it a second try), I took 1 dose of Augmentin before bed and ended up in the ER about 4 1/2 hours later with a full body rash (after only 1 dose!). My skin was on fire. Purple blotches all over. Stomach upset. Back pain. Spent the next 3 days with a terrible rash and hives. Turns out I'm allergic to anything penicillin based (amoxicillin). I'm sure it's a very good/strong antibiotic for those that can tolerate it, but if you've had any type of an adverse reaction in the past, whether stomach upset or rash, etc., I'd highly advise staying away. Could be that you have an actual allergy and that it's not just a bad side effect of the drug. Stick with Levaquin!"

jarobeiz (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2018

For Bronchitis "Caused fatigue and bad stomach pain. Had to stop after 5 days, Anxiety too"

Bobby B (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2018

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "I get a bad flu, and bronchitis, unfortunately often, due to pneumonia as a baby damaging my lungs. Augmentin always works, with no side effects, except the general weakness of the illness. However, some doctors have prescribed stronger antibiotics, & they completely mess up my stomach, some with a burning sensation, & I end up losing weight. I am currently recovering, yet again, on Augmentin 625, once a day, 7 days."

Weak Lungs (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 5, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Badcold acute asmatic side effects bloaty pains while stooling and urine no sex pain hmm so wat yogurt use?"

Humorous (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2018

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "This drug is awful. I have 3 days left and I physically cannot handle it anymore. I'm intensely nauseous every day but I never vomit. I just drool at the mouth and dry heave until it wears away. But by the time the nausea settles it's time to take another pill! It makes going to work almost impossible. I also get unusual headaches and generally feel terrible. Unfortunately it's a holiday so I am unable to contact my doctor for something new. Considering risking it and quitting - never again."

jas93 (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2018

For Sinusitis "Was prescribed Augmentin 875/125 for a bad chest infection twice a day for 14 days six months ago, and I barely made it to day 10 and had to quit, I felt horrible, constantly sick to my stomach - gut sick, pain, bloating, gas, and my body felt like the flu, with body aches and strange sweat episodes, and a pounding heart beat occasionally. Recently, I had a bad case of sinus infection, so I requested a lower dose of 500mg when prescribed the same medicine for 7 days, twice a day. I am on day 5 today, and absolutely cannot take it anymore; same symptoms, I feel worse, my head is pounding, my stomach is completely full nausea and gut sick with pain, and I have experienced small low-grade fever with sweats this time, and brain fog. So that with all the body aches, and burning eyes -- I am just gonna let it go again, because I tried. I however, never had any reactions to Doxycyline or Keflex, but Augmentin, is like taking a flu pill for rapid onset."

George_B August 18, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Augmentin has worked really well on my recent UTI. I started 2 a day Augmentin for 7 days along with copious amounts of Cranberry Juice (see References below) and within less than a day temp was down from 103F to 99F. Pain had dropped from level 8 to a level 2 in a day. Take with yogurt or with a meal, increase fluid and fiber intake. Finish all the medicine even though your symptoms have gone after a few days. Prevention is the best approach. DO Wash hands thoroughly after wiping and before any contact near your urinary tract. References: Kontiokari, T., Sundqvist, K., Nuutinen, M., Pokka, T., Koskela, M., & Uhari, M. (2001). Randomised trial of cranberry-lingonberry juice and Lactobacillus GG drink for the prevention of urinary tract infections in women. Bmj, 322(7302), 1571. Howell, A. B., & Foxman, B. (2002). Cranberry juice and adhesion of antibiotic-resistant uropathogens. JAMA: the journal of the American Medical Association, 287(23), 3082-3083."

HomeDoc August 12, 2018

For Sinusitis "Med taken twice a day for 10 days did not clear up my sinus infection. I still have congested sinus and continue to have green mucus when I blow my nose."

FLgal (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2018

For Bronchitis "had bronchitis going on 1 week and finally visited a Dr. that prescribed Augmentin. Was also given an injection of another antibiotic and a steriod. This evening 12 hours later I'm feeling so much better"

jerrythesurfer (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2018

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "This caused major bleeding issues for me. After taking for a few days, I started bruising *really* bad and had problems eating anything because my stomach felt like a fire (I took it after eating to try and prevent that, but it didn't work). I was stuck with water, bread, and tiny-cut plain spaghetti. A week into the treatment, I develop a spontaneous LARGE hematoma on my backside that put me in the ER for a night. I may need to have it surgically removed in the next few days."

k (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "This medicine is causing me serious neck, shoulder, and back pain. I took the first dose around 5:30-6pm and woke up the next morning so sore it’s unsafe to drive because it hurts so much to turn my head and check my blind spot. I am supposed to take 875-125 mg tabs (whatever that means) twice a day for 10 days. I’ve taken 11 of 20 and have had difficulty functioning and sleeping since. I can’t wait for it to be over!"

Alana (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2018