User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Aspiration Pneumonia 1 reviews 63 medications

Pneumonia 1 reviews 182 medications

3.5
Summary of Clindamycin reviews 390 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Clindamycin

For Bacterial Infection: "Took Clindamycin for 10 days for a severe parotiditis which occured after using a hot tub. Within days of finishing the dosage, I got a black and brownish thick fuzzy tongue extending to the back of my throat. This is day 25 after the start of Clindamycin and my tongue is still discolored and fuzzy but it's pretty much subsided. Also last Wednesday I developed a pleurisy in my left chest with severe pain radiating under the arm, no shortness of breath or problem with vital signs. Today, still have some pain on taking a deep breath. Also with this medicine I developed a severe diarrhea around day 8 of the dosage and that too had subsided within a week. Drug did take care of my extremely swollen parotid gland and some incidental sore joints."

uvwxyz May 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I started taking 300mg originally after an infected tooth extraction. My 1st round w this medication was fine, no issues nor side effects. I was prescribed a large quantity so I had quite a bit left over once my infection was gone. A month later I have an upper respiratory infection or bronchitis. I can't take off work so going to the Dr for me is not an option. 2nd time I began taking this antibiotic I changed absolutely nothing in how I administered it. Within 2-3mins of taking I had the worst heartburn, stomach burning, feels like I have something lodged in between my breast in my esophagus. 7hrs in, bottle of tums, 4 cups of milk later, I'm still on fire! To tell some 1 to "suck it up" is VERY abhorrent you haven't felt these side effect"

I can take pain all day w ease May 20, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "This drug saved my life. I had rapidly progressing facial cellulitis and had failed therapy on another antibiotic. Short of dying from it I would have nothing bad to say. Medications have side effects but they all beat death or a brain abscess. I can live with the inconvenience of sitting up a bit and some gastric distress. It is nothing compared to head, face, and sinus pain as cellulitis marches toward your brain!"

Anonymous May 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I've been on this antibiotic clindamycin going on 3 days for cellulitis and has not noticed a change yet. I'm still in excruciating pain, the swelling has not gone down. I'm ready to go back to the Dr for something more effective."

Nickl nockle May 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I'm experiencing almost unbearable heartburn; starting my seventh day of three times daily 300 mg of Cleocin. Heartburn started 2 days ago; this morning, REALLY bad after taking the pill. I have not ever had heartburn before - also, I eat yogurt every single day (for breakfast and one or two times more each day some days) AND I take probiotics every single day; have done this for several years now. I normally drink a lot of liquid anytime I take any medication (which, fortunately for me, is very rare), as well as on a regular basis. Please don't assume that if you do all the "right" things, you won't get the side effects of this drug or any other. This is the very first drug in my life that has given me problems; the heartburn has been incredible."

January Thaw (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I have a bad bacterial infection and was prescribed clindamycin 300mg four times a day. I have taken 3 doses and after dose 2, I gained a terrible metallic taste in my mouth. Nothing tastes good. When I look this up, I only find that as a side effect for IV dosage..."

DAY 1 (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I agree with bad reviews. I followed instructions correctly. My dentist prescribed me this medication (300mg, 3 times/day) after my two wisdom teeth extraction. I was fine for 2 days. Third day I woke up in the middle of the night with a serious pain in my esophagus, chest. I felt like someone put the worst acid in my throat. It hurt that much I went to emergency room. They prescribed some pills to ease the pain but it didn't help. I'm still in pain. Do not play with this medication and choose a different one if possible."

Tijanafirst May 2, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Endocarditis Prevention: "I am taking this 3 times a day for 7 days for endocarditis (which I survived the first & only time ) prevention after a tooth extraction post an abscess on a molar. I neglected to thoroughly read the medication's instructions before starting and ended up with heartburn from hell with esophageal pain, bloating, burping, etc. When I finally got around to reading the instructions (thanks to this web forum) I ate a probiotic yoghurt and drank lots of water and did not lie down for 20 minutes post capsule. Whoopee! No heartburn, no esophageal pain, less bloat/burp; no stomach pain. It's imperative with this medicine to read and follow it's instructions beforehand! At this point I'll do whatever I have to in order to avoid another bout with endocarditis."

DennyPain (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Surgical Prophylaxis: "I was prescribed this medication for after having all my wisdom teeth removed to prevent infection. I took 1 capsule 3 time a day. For the first few days it was fine, I found if you don't take it with a lot of water it burned all the way down and it made me feel funny with a metallic taste in my mouth. Around day 3 I started having cramps in my stomach, back, and right under my ribcage so painful they would keep me up at night and wake me up out of a dead sleep. I was warned that it could cause stomach problems so I didn't think much of it, but it's been a week since I stopped taking them and I'm getting these awful cramps still. Off to the doctor tomorrow for me. (I took probiotics the entire time I was on it and lived off yogurt too)"

Sxa4 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "No side effects at all but I Still got a toothache so I made a appointment to see my dentist Wednesday the pain is unbearable and is killing me to the Max. This medicine didn't work and pain medication not working... I can't eat or sleep"

Nikki89 April 17, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Intraabdominal Infection: "I started triple therapy of clindimycin, amoxicillin and a PPI 3 days ago for HPylori infection. I've been on a PPI and amoxocillin before with no side effects but not clindamycin. Its a big dose. 500mg twice a day for 7 days. The first 3 doses were awful. Disgusting taste in my mouth and terrible nausea with a gnawing, rumbly feeling in my stomach. After I read some advice on this page I tried drinking more water. Half pint before the dose then after. Plus a daily probiotic drink. I also didn't lie flat after dosage for an hour. This has made a huge difference. Still a bit of a taste but no nausea and a better sleep. Still 4 days to go but fingers crossed as the hpylori had been causing pain. Def good advice."

Izzy1406 (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Completed treatment for my severe gum infection and infection still raging"

Belli April 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I had an infection deep in upper gum, 2 cycles of amoxi, lost potency so started clindamycin 300mg now I'm off to the E.R. So it's not just the clindamycin that caused this but I cannot stress enough make sure you are taking probiotics when taking antibiotics! "

near death April 14, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I'm taking clindamycin for tooth infection... The first day I took the pill I drunk a smoothie with it and didn't lay down for a while, I didn't have any problems at all no heart burn no irritated throat and no stomach pain... It's how you take the medicine and what you take it with..."

MsLady89 April 9, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I was on IV for 4 days and then switched to oral 4x a day. When I started taking it orally I got bad heartburn, felt like something was stuck in my throats and sometimes it hurt in my chest. I questioned the pharmacist and she told me to take an anti acid 1/2 hour before my dose (one was good for 2 doses) and drink lots of water. I did this and had no more problems."

Momof12 April 7, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Nightmare. 2 hours after taking it chest hurt, experienced urination retention (I had to concentrate to release pee) yikes. Could not lie back without heart feeling like it will explode. I think the medicine was trying to kill me. Throat felt weird beyond words. My uncle is a dentist and said this is one antibiotic to QUIT and NOT finish the bottle. I read about people who stuck it out and continued through the bizarre symptoms and side effects and they regretted it. Sick for months after quitting"

Root canal on vacation April 7, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Given enough Clinda for 42 doses over 14 days.....450mg per dose for question of infected vag. After 5 doses....had diarrhea, bloating, dry mouth. Stopped the med, contacted doc via email where I stated "I stopped Clinda due to side effects xyz that may lead to CDiff, need follow up visit". Saw doc In 2 days, she said culture came back negative so really didn't need antibiotic anyway. Make sure your doctor does a culture of your infection! (using swabs, syringe, tissue sample...etc.). In the Microbiology Lab, the bacteria are identified and then tested against multiple antibiotics. Your dr is given a list of all antibiotics that would work against your particular bacteria. Clinda may not be the only solution!"

Iszabella (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Taking this for 2nd time for serious dental infection. I have a lot of titanium in my spine and have had one infection that was treated with 7 weeks of IV antibiotics. (This was done at home for last 5-6 weeks; pic line inserted, self-administered with patient friendly large syringes. Ten years earlier I would have had to be in nursing home for treatment, so consider myself lucky.) But dental infections can travel and I don't want a repeat. PenVK-2,000 mg/day didn't help. Now 300 mg clindamycin HCL every 8 hrs. is working well-and fast. I always take probiotics-30 billion-10 strains. Most important is saccharomyces boulardi, which is a yeast probiotic and can cure dysentery and prevent c diff."

teakhai April 5, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Dr gave me 300mg 4 times a day for what they think is infection in my foot after a drawer fell on my foot and had fluid on top of foot with swelling. After 3rd dose throat was swollen. Couldn't swallow made the left side of my chest hurt so bad it felt like a heart attack. I was itching so bad. I was so thirsty. I went to ER, Dr said he had never heard of anyone having a reaction to that med. Gave me a shot of benadryl it helped. It wore off and everything happened again. Days later my stomach is cramping. I have been drinking pedalite & Gatorade. Still feel thirsty. I am allergic to penicillin & bactrim so Dr thought this would be a good one. It is not. This is wicked stuff. NEVER EVER will I take again"

Horriblesick (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I have taken Clindamycin a few times as its the only antibiotic I am not allergic to. This time I'm taking it for a recurring bladder infection 300mg every 6 hours. I have MS so discomfort in my tummy is a normal thing for me. One day in and my bladder infection is so much better. This is the absolute best antibiotic I have taken for a bladder infection. The heartburn and yuck taste in your mouth is unpleasant but temporary. You know doubt will end up with a yeast infection from this antibiotic because it kills ALL bacteria good and bad. But because it works quickly the side effects are worth it."

Mjrivard April 2, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis: "I will concur with everyone on here that is recommending the water, no lying down within 30 minutes after taking your current dose (try not to take it right before bed) and taking probiotics to help stave off GI issues. These three actions are they holy trinity with taking this stuff - I cannot stress that enough. My first night taking it I forgot about the aux warning of "do not lie down within 10 minutes of taking this drug" (I recommend 30 min) - extreme heartburn ensued. Lots of water and yes, do eat; you will have a better experience. Note: "a lot of water" = at least a cup or two of water (8-16 ounces)."

funtzman March 27, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Hi. I started taking clindamycin about an hour ago for a bacterial infection (upper respiratory / sinus infection). Within only several minutes my esophagus started burning and I feel like throwing up. I have only had one dose of 300mg. I was started on clindamycin because I had bad side effects (numbness and tingling in my hands) to another antibiotic (clarithromycin). Clarithromycin really helped treat the infection, but I stopped it after 3 days. I'm allergic to penicillin so that makes things harder. My doctor warned me about the harshness of clindamycin, but I thought that I'd rather have some GI issues than neuropathy as a side effect - which is still true, but I can't imagine taking even another dose as I feel so sick."

Toni44 March 25, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I had BV for the first time. I was uncomfortable and washed 2 to 3 times a day..and would use wipes to freshen up at work . I was so scared that others could smell me My Dr. Prescribes Clindamycin suppositories for 7 days. I now feel fresh, clean and confident! No discharge, no odor at all! My pH balance is balanced! I'm wondering if anyone has smelled me before tho,....God knows I hope I'm not the girl who everyone talks about"

MMJ1 (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Have been on clindamycin 7+ days (300 mg morning & night) & am doing just fine. Have another week to go. Did not know about drinking lots of water, taking with food or sitting up afterwards. Just got bad dry mouth. Was prescribed this because I am allergic to penicillin. Told if I didn't finish it all, I was in danger of sepsis. Bad tooth/jaw infection with killer pain. Felt better in 24 hours. Worked great for me. (Sorry for those of you who had terrible reactions. Hope you have gone back to your doctor since C-diff is a real possibility. I had ulcers and gastritis before and shudder when you mention the pain.)"

Californiagrits March 23, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis: "Started taking clindamycin for a sinus infection. On day one, I took one pill at breakfast and one at lunch. When I took one pill at dinner, I was having difficulty swallowing. It felt like there was something stuck in my throat. Also in my sternum area I felt a tightening. I didn't know what was happening. The next morning I looked up the side effects and difficulty swallowing and tightness in the chest are listed. I switched to a different antibiotic and will avoid this one as it obviously affects me."

RochelleBelle (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2017