User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Clindamycin.

Aspiration Pneumonia

3.5

1 review 182 medications
Summary of Clindamycin reviews 7.1 444 reviews

Reviews for Clindamycin

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Taking this medication for a BV that has been coming back every few months for the past three years. I have previously received one-day pills and vaginal suppositories on different occasions, but none have been effective on the long-run. The same gyn recently prescribed clindamycin 300mg twice a day for 7 days, however, gave me the complete Rx for 10 days in case I need it. I am currently on the 7th day, and likely to continue all through the 10th since my BV has been persistent. Fortunately, I have not had side effects so far, and I have not always taken the medication with food."

MCPR (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I'm not sure where these doses of 400mg and 500mg are coming from. Typically, you would take 150mg, 300mg, 450mg, 600mg, or even 900mg. Unless you had some weird IV dose, you couldn't possibly take 400 or 500mg capsule form by mouth. Are you sure you're taking Clindamycin? I've taken 300mg every 6 hours without issues, but everyone responds differently to antibiotics."

JaaSo December 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Causes the most severe chest pain imaginable. Can't eat, drink, or swallow."

Rich51 (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Wow, this is a POWERFUL drug. I was prescribed clindamycin 300 mg for severe sinus infection. Amoxicillin did not work. After two doses I had the worst stomach pain and nausea I have ever had. I also had a throbbing headache. However I could feel it working in my sinuses already. So I tried to stick it out. After another day I was so profusely ill I couldn't get out of bed. Had the shakes, vomiting, horrific heartburn and headache. For the record I took the pills with Gravol and water, took probiotics and stayed upright after taking. This was not a good experience. Very frustrating because I believe the drug does work but the side effects make it impossible to take."

littlesilverlining113 November 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I have taking several different medications for reoccurring BV. Clindamycin is the only med I took that worked I took 300mg four times a day 10 days I had no side effects at all. The only problem I did have was the pill is big and was hard to swallow but I took it with applesauce and no issues at all not only did I have no side effects but it was the only med that worked for me. I would defiantly use this med again. And I felt a huge difference after 1st day I used it"

glad took thi November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I was prescribed this for sinus pressure, eustachian tube problems, and tooth/sinus pain. I'm allergic to penicillin, cipro, and sulfa. Antibiotics are a gamble these days. It appeared to relieve some of the symptoms, but I got a bad rash/hives on day 9 of a 10 day course. My chest and face looked like a velociraptor. I finished it and the hives lasted about a week. I still have the infection (CT confirmed) and am trying doxycycline. I also am on prednisone to reduce swelling and to deal with the hives."

Stubbornsinus (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "II had a tooth infection and t's works. So there's that. However the side affects are intense. Don't expect your stomach to be normal for 6-8 months after treatment. Using the bathroom sometimes 5 times a day number 2. I was eating yogurt everyday with oats. Everything I ate after the first week of treatment. Felt like a grenade went off in my stomach. My stomach flora took along time to recover from this antibiotic. Not really sure if it's useful to eat yogurt or take probiotics while taking this. I would imagine the antibiotic kills it anyway. I was on it for 1 week. It does work but be prepared."

NOTDickyV (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "The first day of taking this medicine I was fine, actually it made my throat feel even better. It was the next day that scared me . Up until now I thought I wasn't allergic to anything (especially medicine), turns out was completely wrong. At first it just started with a stuffy nose but than it started to get worse as time went by, my chest started to become tight and my throat felt like it become a bit swollen again, combining all of this it was a little hard to breath. I first thought it was the pain medication I was taking along with this antibiotic so I stop taking it and I did became a bit better. It was my next dose that proved me wrong. I woken up to not only trembling nonstop (with numbness) but finding it very hard to breath."

Having a Allergic Reaction November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I have been taking this medication for about 7 days now( out of a 10 day period) for strep throat because I am allergic to penicillin. The day before I started taking it I was in so much pain I went to the hospital which is where I got the medicine and I got almost immediate relief from the body pain. I always make sure I drink at least 8 oz of water with the pills and do NOT lay down for at least 10 minutes, I have not had any side effects so far. The only thing I can say is my stomach is always grumbling after I take it but that's nothing to worry about. I'm wondering how bad the strep infection actually was though considering a lot of the reviews I see are for worse infections."

Experienced in meds (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I’ve taken clindamycin a couple times over the last few years and have had minor side effects. Heart burn is the worst side effect I have experienced but I started taking the pill DURING meals and it helped greatly. I guess it’s because it’s going down with other food and not by itself. This antibiotic is definitely strong and does the job of getting rid of infections. Take some probiotics and Zantac with it and you’ll be good to go."

anna81597 November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "This drug reminds me of Vicadin. Which isn't a good pain drug because of the continual dosing. You have to continually take this clindamyacin 4x a day and I'm not waking in the middle of the night for the 4th dose! Ridiculous. My day is number 5 and my temples are sore. Side affect, maybe. Next time I think I'll ask for the more powerful, with less doses per day. Two doses per day, the old school way, would be better. This is on my DO NOT TAKE LIST!."

Wontdoagain (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I had a post-surgical infection that was not going away and had been on doxycycline, levofloxamine and had been given vancomycin IV when I had an abscess drained. This med did the trick along with bactrim. I had read the reviews so I made sure I stayed hydrated, drinking a full 16 oz bottle of water w/each dose. My doctor had me taking probiotics about 2 hours after dosing. I also took one before bed. I think that and the water really held any of the wicked side-effects at bay, but of course, everyBODY is different.For what it's worth I also drank orange juice and ate citrus as much as possible after reading that most bacteria don't do well in an acidic environment. I figured it couldn't hurt. Call Doc if you get diarrhea - can be deadly."

C2 Nebraska October 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I was prescribed this drug for an ear and sinus infection. Within an hour of the first dose, I got a bitter taste on my tongue. But not just on what you think as your tongue. I can also taste it halfway down my throat. It's so bad I have to constantly chew gum, eat, or drink something strongly flavored. It also keeps me awake at night. I have to keep gum in my mouth, which I press flat and smush to the roof of my mouth. After five days and four nights, I finally cried uncle and called my doctor, who told me to discontinue the medicine. Unfortunately, the taste persists, and I've now got burning pain in my esophagus. The good news is my ear/sinus infections are better, but clindamycin is going on my allergy list. I'll never take it again."

Elivandersys (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I have been taking cleocin same as clindamycin also for 3 days now, all I have managed is a lot more swelling from my foot and leg is really painful , swelling more, I had noticed some bloating as well, and very tired I hope it works soon"

beth4u (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Took this med orally 4x a day for ten days after receiving two injections of it. Infection in a surgery incision was the cause. First round of a different antibiotic wasn't effective. I didn't take any precautions like eating or not laying down right away as I had to take it in the middle of the night. Didn't have any real side effects other than getting sick once and that was really unpleasant. Hard to get the capsules down without them getting stuck in my throat. Been off them for a few weeks now and my infection is finally gone and my wound is heeling. It also helped with the pain from my wound that was throbbing before this med. Over all I'm happy with the turn out and everyone reacts differently so it may work great like it did for me."

Heather MCR October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I had a dental abscess and impacted wisdom teeth. I was prescribed the 300mg from the emergency room. When I first started taking it, I felt like acid was burning underneath my gums and pain running from my head to my ear and jaw. Excruciating pain. 2nd day the same thing. Every time I take this, it gives me horrible, burning pain that last about 30mins. I thought it was because of the infection. Then, I started feeling nauseous. Every day after, I was feel more and more nauseous, fatigued, and my teeth were more and more sensitive. The pain was excruciating when I tried to eat breakfast. I have to before I take this stuff to prevent the nauseous feeling but it didn't work. I have to take this for 10 days. I don't want to take this again."

Dawn W. October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Took this for bepharitis. Day 1, totally fine. Day 2, first dose, still good. Went to lunch and took a dose and then 5 minutes later BOOM It was like the worst feeling heartburn I have ever possibly experienced in my life. I had to drive across town, white knuckling the steering wheel. Then the nausea set it. Ran into the drugstore in tears to find the the antacids. Those DID NOT help. I ate like 5. Then this kept going in cycles of excruciating pain in my eusophagus to wanting to vomit and back again. I managed to drink a slight bit of water which helped ease A bit. it is now nearly two hours later and I’m still feeling like my eosophagus is just going to dissolve. I managed to call my doc and ask for a different med."

ThisIsAwfulJustDont (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "No side effects, works great for tooth infections. I always eat before taking any antibiotics. Not sure why others are having such a difficult time with this med."

LAMC (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I was prescribed 300mg twice a day for seven days and the next day it was still there so went back to the hospital and I was prescribed another three days of the same dosage. It cleared my infection and it was not awful taking it (I do not swallow pills so I chew them) - I put the powder in bread then used icing to swallow everything - the taste did remain a long time but its all because of the previous antibiotics that screwed up my tongue). The reason why I am not giving it a perfect score is because it gave me a yeast infection so more medication for me to take (another 1 for the new infection)."

shumibiggi (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "My ENT physician has put me on this antibiotic for Infectious mononucleosis (mono or glandular fever), at first I thought that I was just going to die. On top of the Mono symptoms, the Cleocin made me nauseous, stomach swelled. Doctor suggested taking medication with a bit of soft drink, and it did work. After 7 days of this I would do it again. I have had Mono twice before, and no not from kissing. I have a low immune system, I wish I had this with the other bouts of illness."

Ali_Oop614 September 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Kills the infection, but the stomach cramps are horrific"

Andyman1061 September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I took this and within 24 hours the infection was reduced and bearable. I actually love it. I did get a little nauseous and threw up twice but it was worth it for me."

Anonymous September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I was prescribed clindamycin after having all my wisdom teeth cut out so that way I didn't get an infection......shortly after finishing the antibiotic I became very ill and thought I had a stomach bug! I realized it wasn't a stomach bug when my stool was a black/red color which indicates bleeding! My doctor told me that the antibiotic had given me C-Diff (clostridium difficile)! So I've been prescribed more antibiotics to get rid of the c-diff infection, weird right? lol. Anyways, if you take clindamycin and start having symptoms of what you think is a stomach bug, please go to the doctor! C-Diff can become a severe/life threatening infection!"

sum123 (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I had a sinus infection that wouldn't go away with other antibiotics and I'm allergic to so many of the other strong ones that this is what I ended up being prescribed. I was worried about bad side effects because of my standing allergies, but it's really not all that bad. I started feeling better after the first day and I didn't have any side effects at first. It's day 6 of a 10 day treatment and I have a terribly sore throat but that's the only bad side effect I've noticed besides some soreness and mild nausea if I don't eat much. Note that I take a probiotic everyday, eat before each pill and drink a full bottle of water. I also don't lie down for at least 30 minutes after taking it. I'll try to stick out the full 10 days."

Starrberry (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Worked excellent! Bacterial infection gone within days, swelling was down 50% within 12hrs."

Balloon_Man (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017