User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Aspiration Pneumonia 1 reviews 63 medications

Pneumonia 1 reviews 182 medications

3.5
Summary of Clindamycin reviews 409 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Clindamycin

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I would love to give it a 10 because it it pretty great. It is really helping me with my cellulitis at the moment. The reason why I gave it a 9/10 is due to the mood swings that I am having. I checked through the side effects and didn't see mood swings. I have been feeling from happy to mad to sad. Also the bloating is pretty bad, but bloating was stated in the side effects. Overall, this gets the job done quickly, just has its effects."

Meeeeeeeee1258 July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I was just prescribed this medication a few days ago and I'm glad I read the information package before hand because there are some potentially yucky side effects to this medication. I initially had no problems with this however last night, on my 4th night of the prescription I woke out of a dead sleep with the worst chest pains I have ever had in my life. I legitimately thought I was having a heart attack it was so bad. I woke my boyfriend in a panic, it was terrifying. I have had panic attack before and I always suffer from acid re-flux but my God this was bad. I have never in my life been affected by a medication the way I was by this one. After a while it did subside but this morning I still have a dull ache in my chest/throat area."

Chest pains July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I took Clindamycin because of a severely painful infection that was present both before and after a root canal. I was apprehensive about taking this drug do to all of the bad reviews, however, the only side effect I experienced was the metallic taste, which honestly wasn't so bad. After what felt like childbirth pain near my root canal for two weeks that wasn't responding to other antibiotics, the pain subsided after just three days of taking this medication. If I had to take it again, I would do it in a heart beat. I took precautions when taking this medication, which is why I believe I didn't have any of the nasty side effects. While taking Clindamycin, I ate a bready substance both before and after taking each pill along water."

Elisa2738 July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I have taken Clindamycin (150 mg) ( 4 times per day) on many occasions and I started another round today due to a tooth infection. For me, it stops the swelling and pain typically after the first dose. It does give me severe indigestion-like burning at the top of the stomach, as well as, a slight case of diarrhea after a couple of days. I have found eating yogurt helps the diarrhea. Drinking lots of water reduces the indigestion. NEVER take on an empty stomach. Soft drinks and caffeinated products are irritants, so basically drink only water while taking this product. I rarely drink alcoholic beverages, but I would recommend NOT imbibing. As for the 300mg capsules, I will never take that strength again. It made me extremely sick!"

Willyo1958 July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I don't usually post reviews but thought I would share my basically good experience. Taking 300mg every 6 hrs for maxillary tooth (molar) and sinus pain - doctor and dentist were not sure if sinus infection or periapical (an acute or chronic inflammatory lesion around the apex of a tooth root which is caused by bacterial invasion of the pulp of the tooth) abscess. (Clogged sinus, pain in face and upper jaw, fatigue, squinty eyes, foul tasting drainage) In two days pain was virtually gone. Very few side effects - BUT - be absolutely sure to drink lots of water (at least 8oz) and don't lie down for 15 minutes. Now on Day 7 or 8. My stomach is a little bloated more than usual, but bearable. Fairly normal bowel movements once a day. I should also mention: 1) Wake up with bitter taste in mouth - but it goes a way - not a lingering taste. 2) Pharmacist warned of sun sensitivity - I have not experienced that yet, but being cautious. Now started taking Sacchromyces boulardi 5-10 billion units - recommended as a probiotic for Clindamycin in particular against C Diff."

LFG June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "First off if you have difficulty swallowing capsules you will have a hard time with this medicine. I have no problem with normal coated tablets and pills but found it extremely hard to swallow due to it being in a capsule. After 3-4 days of no issues of the 300mg dose for reoccurring strep I had an awful reaction. After I struggled to get it down I quickly (5-10 minutes) started to feel a strong heart burn/acid reflux feeling in my chest. This is common for me so I just took some tums like I normally would and thought I'd be fine. After about 15-20 mins it still wasn't gone and I started to feel extremely nauseous and had to run to the bathroom and proceeded to vomit quite violently. So I stopped taking the medicine."

Yogurts (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I was prescribed clindamycin after a wisdom tooth extraction and honestly I'd rather die from an infection in the stupid tooth hole than take this another day. First day I spent hours racked by the strongest fever I've ever had, chills and pain down to the bone. Next day my skin felt like a hair shirt. This has persisted for nearly a week. Everything burns and unless I knock myself out cold I wake up scratching myself all over. I can't eat, which doesn't help with the dizziness, and as someone who's been recovering from an eating disorder this really doesn't help either. The most fun of all is the fun fun neuropathy that's happening in my hands and feet. I would genuinely rather be dead than feeling this way, thx doc"

raw meat (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I saw a wonderful doctor, not a dentist, who prescribed this medication for my gum infection and warned me it was hard on my stomach so take it with food and water, he also told me to take a probiotic 2 hours after I take the medication. He warned the side effects could be c diff, so he said I must take the probiotic to put some good bacteria back into my body. I don't think it was a good idea to read all the side effects either, because now I'm scared it will happen. I have such severe allergies to everything so I hope my body doesn't reject this too. I get any side effects then I'll stop taking immediately. My mother took this drug while she was in the hospital and she got c diff, she may be a carrier now. So I have to stay away from her too."

mapine June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I am not sure what the issue is with people having these crazy side effects. I know people will can have some type of side effects but, to completely bash this med is irresponsible. If side effects are happening either A. The dose is to high, I suggest talking to your doc to re adjust it (high doses of AB's aren't always a good thing) or B.take zofran along side it, this helps with the stomach issues (warning: it can cause constipation). DO NOT lay down for at least an hour after taking it, and take it with a standard 16.9 fl oz water bottle. The only con for me is the size of a 300mg capsule(if you have a phobia or issues about swallowing big pills, use the smaller 150mgx2)"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I took this for a bacterial infection. I developed sores and blister on the hands, burning, itching all under the skin. I stopped taking it after the 2nd dose. Its day 2 and I am developing blisters in my mouth. My eyelids are swollen and itchy and my lips look like I had botox injections. I can barely swallow."

Lydialee June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "My dentist prescribed me this after he told me I had to get my wisdom teeth extracted. I had an infection because one of the teeth hadn't come though the gum all the way and there was a flap of gum over it (before the extraction). I've only been on the antibiotic for 3 days now and the side effects are worse than the problem it's supposed to be solving. My entire side of my face and throat hurt so bad it's keeping me up and night and can barely eat/drink. I feel completely nauseous and keep throwing up, which wasn't happening before I started taking it, and I'm so dizzy most of the day that I feel like I can barely get anything done. I wouldn't recommend this medication at all."

MyFaceStillHurts (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Took this drug for 10 days for an infection in an incision. Two weeks to the day after stopping I got C-diff and had it for 8 months. I would never recommend this drug for anyone!"

Andrea Rose (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Becoming more profound. I am very happy with this medicine and thankful that my lady parts are getting back to its original self. "

Bmanore81 June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bone infection: "Often prescribed for patients with penn allergy with tooth and jaw infection. I found that the stomach pain makes me not want to take it. I find that eat half your meal, take the pill, then finish your food somehow helps reduce the pain and nausea. It Also helps cut down on the metal acid taste in your mouth. Drink a Danactive with each pill no matter what. Also...most important... get a script for zofran which is an anti emetic or anti barf pill. Helps tremendously. I take less than prescribed because I weigh less and it's much easier on the gut and still very effective. I'm not advising you decrease doses unless you understand what your doing. Can cause more harm that's not worth the reduction in side effects."

Jaketg1 June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I got bit by a catfish on the thumb trying to lip it. I got a terrible infection two days later!! I got admitted into the hospital for two days. I had IV injections every 8 hours 300mg. I got out and exactly one week later it's back. This medicine is ok but is pretty much like putting Kool aid in your veins"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I just got put on clindamycin for cellulitus, and immediately when I took it, started having the worst chest pains as if I was having an anxiety attack. I thought it was my infection until the side effects of the medicine kept occuring into the next two days! I said enough was enough, I stopped taking them and went to my doctor. I couldn't sleep or lay down. Heartburn is an understatement, this antibiotic made me feel like I was dying. Never ever again will I take it, I'll go with the alternative. If anyone is freaking out about clindamycin and these side effects, I hope this helps. Stop taking them, Go see your doctor again, find an alternative. No one should have to deal with these side effects."

Joe63088 June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I had a sore throat that wouldn't go away. I was diagnosed with tonsillitis, then given this medication. First day was fine. Second day was fine. Third day- no sore throat- but things took a turn. My stomach was in so much pain, I was nauseous, felt like cramping, it was unbearable. I knew diarrhea was common so I figured I should just suck it up. But the stomach pains were too much! I called my doctor and they recommended I use a probiotic. So I picked up "culturelle." Within 5 minutes of taking that (about 3 hours after I took my two doses of the antibiotics) I ran to the bathroom thinking I was going to throw up. I started to to feel extremely dizzy, got really sweaty and super disoriented. Super scary! Got off the meds."

HaleyST (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I was prescribed 300 mg twice daily for seven days to treat a case of bacterial vaginitis. It cleared up my infection within a few days, so it has definitely been effective, although I can't say that I've enjoyed taking it. The blue capsules I was given taste like a cross between bug spray and nail polish remover, and they made me gag every time. Once I actually threw the pill up, so I would suggest taking with food if you have a weak stomach. Toward the end of my prescription I noticed a slight orange/pink discharge which may or may not be a side effect of the medication. Both the discharge and the nausea may have been exacerbated by the fact that I'm currently pregnant."

khaleesi420 May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT use this antibiotic. I had two teeth extracted and the dentist prescribed this to me because I had a small infection under one of my removed teeth. After day 2 I had a marble sized burn in my throat. Then the burn dropped into my chest and turned into throbbing pain. Swallowing anything from water to food brought me to my knees in pain. I called the dentist day 5. He said to stop taking it. I haven't taken a dose in 5 days and the pain is still unbearable. Slowly getting better though. I have lost 10 pounds in 10 days because I can still barely swallow anything. Please ask for another medication instead of clindamycin. Or at least read some online reviews of this drug before taking it. I took it exactly as prescribed."

Matt T (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Took Clindamycin for 10 days for a severe parotiditis which occured after using a hot tub. Within days of finishing the dosage, I got a black and brownish thick fuzzy tongue extending to the back of my throat. This is day 25 after the start of Clindamycin and my tongue is still discolored and fuzzy but it's pretty much subsided. Also last Wednesday I developed a pleurisy in my left chest with severe pain radiating under the arm, no shortness of breath or problem with vital signs. Today, still have some pain on taking a deep breath. Also with this medicine I developed a severe diarrhea around day 8 of the dosage and that too had subsided within a week. Drug did take care of my extremely swollen parotid gland and some incidental sore joints."

uvwxyz May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I started taking 300mg originally after an infected tooth extraction. My 1st round w this medication was fine, no issues nor side effects. I was prescribed a large quantity so I had quite a bit left over once my infection was gone. A month later I have an upper respiratory infection or bronchitis. I can't take off work so going to the Dr for me is not an option. 2nd time I began taking this antibiotic I changed absolutely nothing in how I administered it. Within 2-3mins of taking I had the worst heartburn, stomach burning, feels like I have something lodged in between my breast in my esophagus. 7hrs in, bottle of tums, 4 cups of milk later, I'm still on fire! To tell some 1 to "suck it up" is VERY abhorrent you haven't felt these side effect"

I can take pain all day w ease May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "This drug saved my life. I had rapidly progressing facial cellulitis and had failed therapy on another antibiotic. Short of dying from it I would have nothing bad to say. Medications have side effects but they all beat death or a brain abscess. I can live with the inconvenience of sitting up a bit and some gastric distress. It is nothing compared to head, face, and sinus pain as cellulitis marches toward your brain!"

Anonymous May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I've been on this antibiotic clindamycin going on 3 days for cellulitis and has not noticed a change yet. I'm still in excruciating pain, the swelling has not gone down. I'm ready to go back to the Dr for something more effective."

Nickl nockle May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I'm experiencing almost unbearable heartburn; starting my seventh day of three times daily 300 mg of Cleocin. Heartburn started 2 days ago; this morning, REALLY bad after taking the pill. I have not ever had heartburn before - also, I eat yogurt every single day (for breakfast and one or two times more each day some days) AND I take probiotics every single day; have done this for several years now. I normally drink a lot of liquid anytime I take any medication (which, fortunately for me, is very rare), as well as on a regular basis. Please don't assume that if you do all the "right" things, you won't get the side effects of this drug or any other. This is the very first drug in my life that has given me problems; the heartburn has been incredible."

January Thaw (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I have a bad bacterial infection and was prescribed clindamycin 300mg four times a day. I have taken 3 doses and after dose 2, I gained a terrible metallic taste in my mouth. Nothing tastes good. When I look this up, I only find that as a side effect for IV dosage..."

DAY 1 (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2017