User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Aspiration Pneumonia 1 reviews 63 medications

Pneumonia 1 reviews 182 medications

3.5
Summary of Clindamycin reviews 383 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Clindamycin

For Bacterial Endocarditis Prevention: "I am taking this 3 times a day for 7 days for endocarditis (which I survived the first & only time ) prevention after a tooth extraction post an abscess on a molar. I neglected to thoroughly read the medication's instructions before starting and ended up with heartburn from hell with esophageal pain, bloating, burping, etc. When I finally got around to reading the instructions (thanks to this web forum) I ate a probiotic yoghurt and drank lots of water and did not lie down for 20 minutes post capsule. Whoopee! No heartburn, no esophageal pain, less bloat/burp; no stomach pain. It's imperative with this medicine to read and follow it's instructions beforehand! At this point I'll do whatever I have to in order to avoid another bout with endocarditis."

DennyPain (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Surgical Prophylaxis: "I was prescribed this medication for after having all my wisdom teeth removed to prevent infection. I took 1 capsule 3 time a day. For the first few days it was fine, I found if you don't take it with a lot of water it burned all the way down and it made me feel funny with a metallic taste in my mouth. Around day 3 I started having cramps in my stomach, back, and right under my ribcage so painful they would keep me up at night and wake me up out of a dead sleep. I was warned that it could cause stomach problems so I didn't think much of it, but it's been a week since I stopped taking them and I'm getting these awful cramps still. Off to the doctor tomorrow for me. (I took probiotics the entire time I was on it and lived off yogurt too)"

Sxa4 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "No side effects at all but I Still got a toothache so I made a appointment to see my dentist Wednesday the pain is unbearable and is killing me to the Max. This medicine didn't work and pain medication not working... I can't eat or sleep"

Nikki89 April 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Intraabdominal Infection: "I started triple therapy of clindimycin, amoxicillin and a PPI 3 days ago for HPylori infection. I've been on a PPI and amoxocillin before with no side effects but not clindamycin. Its a big dose. 500mg twice a day for 7 days. The first 3 doses were awful. Disgusting taste in my mouth and terrible nausea with a gnawing, rumbly feeling in my stomach. After I read some advice on this page I tried drinking more water. Half pint before the dose then after. Plus a daily probiotic drink. I also didn't lie flat after dosage for an hour. This has made a huge difference. Still a bit of a taste but no nausea and a better sleep. Still 4 days to go but fingers crossed as the hpylori had been causing pain. Def good advice."

Izzy1406 (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Completed treatment for my severe gum infection and infection still raging"

Belli April 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I had an infection deep in upper gum, 2 cycles of amoxi, lost potency so started clindamycin 300mg now I'm off to the E.R. So it's not just the clindamycin that caused this but I cannot stress enough make sure you are taking probiotics when taking antibiotics! "

near death April 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I'm taking clindamycin for tooth infection... The first day I took the pill I drunk a smoothie with it and didn't lay down for a while, I didn't have any problems at all no heart burn no irritated throat and no stomach pain... It's how you take the medicine and what you take it with..."

MsLady89 April 9, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I was on IV for 4 days and then switched to oral 4x a day. When I started taking it orally I got bad heartburn, felt like something was stuck in my throats and sometimes it hurt in my chest. I questioned the pharmacist and she told me to take an anti acid 1/2 hour before my dose (one was good for 2 doses) and drink lots of water. I did this and had no more problems."

Momof12 April 7, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Nightmare. 2 hours after taking it chest hurt, experienced urination retention (I had to concentrate to release pee) yikes. Could not lie back without heart feeling like it will explode. I think the medicine was trying to kill me. Throat felt weird beyond words. My uncle is a dentist and said this is one antibiotic to QUIT and NOT finish the bottle. I read about people who stuck it out and continued through the bizarre symptoms and side effects and they regretted it. Sick for months after quitting"

Root canal on vacation April 7, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Given enough Clinda for 42 doses over 14 days.....450mg per dose for question of infected vag. After 5 doses....had diarrhea, bloating, dry mouth. Stopped the med, contacted doc via email where I stated "I stopped Clinda due to side effects xyz that may lead to CDiff, need follow up visit". Saw doc In 2 days, she said culture came back negative so really didn't need antibiotic anyway. Make sure your doctor does a culture of your infection! (using swabs, syringe, tissue sample...etc.). In the Microbiology Lab, the bacteria are identified and then tested against multiple antibiotics. Your dr is given a list of all antibiotics that would work against your particular bacteria. Clinda may not be the only solution!"

Iszabella (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Taking this for 2nd time for serious dental infection. I have a lot of titanium in my spine and have had one infection that was treated with 7 weeks of IV antibiotics. (This was done at home for last 5-6 weeks; pic line inserted, self-administered with patient friendly large syringes. Ten years earlier I would have had to be in nursing home for treatment, so consider myself lucky.) But dental infections can travel and I don't want a repeat. PenVK-2,000 mg/day didn't help. Now 300 mg clindamycin HCL every 8 hrs. is working well-and fast. I always take probiotics-30 billion-10 strains. Most important is saccharomyces boulardi, which is a yeast probiotic and can cure dysentery and prevent c diff."

teakhai April 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Dr gave me 300mg 4 times a day for what they think is infection in my foot after a drawer fell on my foot and had fluid on top of foot with swelling. After 3rd dose throat was swollen. Couldn't swallow made the left side of my chest hurt so bad it felt like a heart attack. I was itching so bad. I was so thirsty. I went to ER, Dr said he had never heard of anyone having a reaction to that med. Gave me a shot of benadryl it helped. It wore off and everything happened again. Days later my stomach is cramping. I have been drinking pedalite & Gatorade. Still feel thirsty. I am allergic to penicillin & bactrim so Dr thought this would be a good one. It is not. This is wicked stuff. NEVER EVER will I take again"

Horriblesick (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I have taken Clindamycin a few times as its the only antibiotic I am not allergic to. This time I'm taking it for a recurring bladder infection 300mg every 6 hours. I have MS so discomfort in my tummy is a normal thing for me. One day in and my bladder infection is so much better. This is the absolute best antibiotic I have taken for a bladder infection. The heartburn and yuck taste in your mouth is unpleasant but temporary. You know doubt will end up with a yeast infection from this antibiotic because it kills ALL bacteria good and bad. But because it works quickly the side effects are worth it."

Mjrivard April 2, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis: "I will concur with everyone on here that is recommending the water, no lying down within 30 minutes after taking your current dose (try not to take it right before bed) and taking probiotics to help stave off GI issues. These three actions are they holy trinity with taking this stuff - I cannot stress that enough. My first night taking it I forgot about the aux warning of "do not lie down within 10 minutes of taking this drug" (I recommend 30 min) - extreme heartburn ensued. Lots of water and yes, do eat; you will have a better experience. Note: "a lot of water" = at least a cup or two of water (8-16 ounces)."

funtzman March 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Hi. I started taking clindamycin about an hour ago for a bacterial infection (upper respiratory / sinus infection). Within only several minutes my esophagus started burning and I feel like throwing up. I have only had one dose of 300mg. I was started on clindamycin because I had bad side effects (numbness and tingling in my hands) to another antibiotic (clarithromycin). Clarithromycin really helped treat the infection, but I stopped it after 3 days. I'm allergic to penicillin so that makes things harder. My doctor warned me about the harshness of clindamycin, but I thought that I'd rather have some GI issues than neuropathy as a side effect - which is still true, but I can't imagine taking even another dose as I feel so sick."

Toni44 March 25, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I had BV for the first time. I was uncomfortable and washed 2 to 3 times a day..and would use wipes to freshen up at work . I was so scared that others could smell me My Dr. Prescribes Clindamycin suppositories for 7 days. I now feel fresh, clean and confident! No discharge, no odor at all! My pH balance is balanced! I'm wondering if anyone has smelled me before tho,....God knows I hope I'm not the girl who everyone talks about"

MMJ1 (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Have been on clindamycin 7+ days (300 mg morning & night) & am doing just fine. Have another week to go. Did not know about drinking lots of water, taking with food or sitting up afterwards. Just got bad dry mouth. Was prescribed this because I am allergic to penicillin. Told if I didn't finish it all, I was in danger of sepsis. Bad tooth/jaw infection with killer pain. Felt better in 24 hours. Worked great for me. (Sorry for those of you who had terrible reactions. Hope you have gone back to your doctor since C-diff is a real possibility. I had ulcers and gastritis before and shudder when you mention the pain.)"

Californiagrits March 23, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis: "Started taking clindamycin for a sinus infection. On day one, I took one pill at breakfast and one at lunch. When I took one pill at dinner, I was having difficulty swallowing. It felt like there was something stuck in my throat. Also in my sternum area I felt a tightening. I didn't know what was happening. The next morning I looked up the side effects and difficulty swallowing and tightness in the chest are listed. I switched to a different antibiotic and will avoid this one as it obviously affects me."

RochelleBelle (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I was given 300mg to take 3x a day for 7 days for an abscess. Dentist & pharmacist warned of nasty side effects. Enclosed papers with instructions and warnings were scary and only recommend taking with food, water and avoid laying for 10 minutes after taking. I looked online to see if taking probiotics would help prevent colitis. Found these rating and was even further scared. I noticed everyone who gave positive reviews mentioned probiotics, yogurts, and staying upright for at least 30 minutes. So that is what I did. No side effects what so ever. No heartburn, diarrhea (I actually became constipated), or belly pain. I took a Probiotic with 10 billion strains 1x a day and ate a 0% Activia yogurt at every dose. Pain gone by day 3."

mishni March 20, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Would never recommend this antibiotic! I was prescribed 7 days 3 times a day today take this med so I did, I have a very bad stomach to start with. I was able to do my first 7 days without a problem, then after my seven days I started to have really bad diarrhea and I rarely have this. It has lasted now for like two weeks. Now I had to restart another dosage of clindamycin for another 7 days but I saw that they were not the same colour as the other ones I had taken I don't know why but anyways I started them yesterday and I've never felt sicker! My stomach was very upset, diarrhea, nausea, chills, fever, dizziness and my throat is hurting. I not one to complain usually but after this I immediately stopped the medication! Never again"

Mimi25 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Currently on this med, 300mg 3x daily. I don't know where all these negative reviews are coming from, perhaps there is a small population that experience bad side effects. I have been on this med for 4 days now(for strep) and have used this med in the past and I have zero problems with it. Barely been eating, drinking yet I have no issues with stomach. Maybe it's because I am young? Just after day 2 my throat completely stopped hurting, I was shocked after how much it hurt the day before. Still covered in spots but I know it's working, as I am only halfway through taking it. Everyone is different, this will work for some while others not so much. Same with side effects"

Anonymousx3000 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Taking Clindamycin 300mg three times a day for 3 weeks due to Cellulitis. I'm about to end my third week and for the past 4-5 days I've had horrible heartburn, feels like something is stuck in your throat and horrible acid feeling in my stomach. The medication has worked wonderfully. I just hate these side effects. The Dr recommended I ate before taking it to prevent these side effects but even though I eat and take the pill afterward I still feel the heartburn starting in a matter of minutes right after taking the pills. If you're on this get something strong for these effects cause they are a nightmare."

Shukis.sg (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Y'all are all such babies to be adults I mean really. The side effects suck but when it comes to actually doing what its prescribed it does a great job. Suck it up people."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "To those who are saying the negative symptoms will not be experienced if you follow instructions, screw you. I'm on this for an infected cat bite. I'm pregnant, it's the only safe antibiotic for me apparently. I am taking these as prescribed by doctor and pharmacist with lots of water and food. The heart burn and stomach cramps/diarrhea are hell. And guess what!? On the package it describes these as known symptoms to the medication. I hate what I am going through. So far I have found no relief and want nothing more than to stop taking them. I will be following up with my doctor. To those who are lucky enough to not experience the symptoms/side effects? Good on you! others aren't as lucky."

Heartburn haven March 5, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Horrible! Do not take! I had it for my tooth infection and Initially, everything was fine for 4 days of taking 150mg 3 times a day. On the 5th day I suffered delirium, rash, white tongue, dry mouth, an extreme ill feeling, chills, nausea, and had a huge pain in my stomach area. I quit taking it, and 3 days later I still have the white tongue (thrush) and nausea . I did not have the diarrhea because I ate yogurt while on this killer antibiotic. Yogurt is a probiotic, and if you choose to take Clindamycin, PLEASE EAT yogurt so you don't get diarrhea!"

sal15 March 4, 2017