User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Aspiration Pneumonia 10.0
Surgical Prophylaxis 3.9
Summary of Clindamycin reviews 5.7 676 reviews

Reviews for Clindamycin

Duff · Taken for less than 1 month July 30, 2020

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “Took 2 days of clindamycin to get relief for infected tooth. Then the whole right side of my face ached including all my teeth on that side. After 4 days developed sore throat on left side which turned into canker sores. Whole side of left side ached and my teeth ached. Took me this long to realize it wasn’t me it was Clindamycin! Slow learner!”

NeverAgain · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2020

For Surgical Prophylaxis: “I blindly took this as prescribed for my wisdom tooth removal. 1000mg 3x day for 7 days to prevent post op complications. DO NOT TAKE IT! A week later it caused me to have a severe case C Diff Colitis. I didn't know about any of this but I would have taken my chance on complications (look up studies about if antibiotics even help prevent complications). I've lost so much weight, so tired, bed ridden diarrhea for two weeks now with blood and severe cramps and pain, 102.5 fever, nausea, loss of appetite. The diarrhea being impossible to keep clean has also caused a UTI from E Coli with another fever, blood/clots/tissue, severe pain. NOT WORTH IT. I feel like I was uninformed.”

BobJones · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “I've come to realise all antibiotics produce some side effects. I had a tooth infection (serious pain). Was prescribed this clindamycin for 7 days. It took 3 days to properly kick in and reduce the pain. After the week no pain. Tips. Water, big glass with the pill and try and drink water throughout the day. I don't do fizzy or sweet drinks. I suspect this is where people have trouble. Food seemed to help. I would take on empty stomach in the morning go for a walk with the dog for a couple of hours then eat. Then later in the day take before eating . Food seemed to help settle the nausea. Nausea - yeah all the time Metallic taste - yep all the time Stand up - don't take lying down, and wash down with a full glass of water (as per instructions) - else it can cause esophagus burns I didn’t have stomach cramps etc. Just felt a bit sick and bloated. No where near all the ‘terrible’ reviews you will see here. Just be sensible with your diet and follow the instructions! Water, water, water. Bland food.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “I was prescribed this med clindamycin to clear up a breast infection mastitis from breastfeeding and I had vertigo extreme weakness so bad. It also effected my head, I had confusion anxiety and horrible headache and joint pain in my neck. I had to go to the ER and they told me its just side effects go home and continue it. Luckily infection symptoms were gone by then and I stopped taking it after 4 days I had enough! Symptoms went away once I weaned off of it.”

Brill · Taken for less than 1 month June 1, 2020

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “I was prescribed 150mg clindamycin for an armpit boil. I just had slight stomach discomfort, no diarrhea or any complications. Everyone's system reacts differently to the medication. I made a mistake by looking at reviews before taking it. It's not always a horrible experience.”

Ben May 29, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “I'm on 21 days of antibiotics for a tooth infection that wouldn't go away. 1 week on amox and 2 weeks on clindamycin (300mg every 4 hours). I actually have 3 days left but I'm doing quite well. My advice, talk to a pharmacist and check online what to do while taking clindamycin because it can be quite harmful. I bought a tonne of probiotic dairy free yogurt and probiotic capsule (5 billion strength). With every dose of clindamycin I would eat a small meal usually gluten free toast and something else (maybe an egg for protein) and have a serving of gluten free yogurt and drink at least 500ml of water when taking the clinda. After 2.5 hours I eat another small meal and take a probiotic capsule. I didn't eat anything heavy or hard to digest. Basically my diet consists of gluten free bread, an egg or two a day, cereal, soy milk and dairy free yogurt and lots of water. Sounds like a bland diet but it's served me well. I'm on day 18 of 21 with this stuff and only now having mild diarrhea.”

BVpatient May 20, 2020

For Bacterial Vaginitis: “I'm 25, prescribed clindamycin cream 5g/night over 5 days for BV. 1st night I experienced crippling stomach pain within 2 hrs. 2nd night a tremor/shaking, with creamy white discharge the next day as well as frothy, cloudy urine. 3rd night was fine, but had very pale stool. 4th night I became very hot 2 hour after dosage and woke up halfway through the night in a puddle of sweat, I assume I broke a fever. 5th (last) night was fine but am experiencing extremely watery diarrhea 24 hours after last dose. Perhaps my prescribed dose was a little too strong, as my side effects were pretty intense. Taking the cream insertion was easy and straightforward, no mess, no burning. I recommend this antibiotic over metronidazole (flagyl). Along with MANY horrific side effects including a paralyzing audio hallucination lasting >10mins, I still have a (mild) ringing in my ear that was brought on after taking a single 2g dose of metronidazole to treat trichomoniasis 2 yrs ago.”

MRW · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2020

“Was prescribed 7 day course of clindamycin by an oral surgeon due to possibility of Infection from cracked tooth. Ten days after completion, I began experiencing severe diarrhea and stomach pains. Nearly two weeks later when these symptoms hadn’t gone away, my doc ordered a stool test and I was diagnosed with C. Diff. Never had any health problems prior to this and now treating the C Diff. I will never, ever take clindamycin again.”

Anonymous May 13, 2020

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “I was given Clyndamicin for a tooth extraction. I started the antibiotic on April 21st, 2020. I finished on April 28th, 2020. I was prescribed 300mg 4x per day. By April 24th (4 days on on the antibiotic) I started having diarrhea. It is now May 12th, 2020 and had been 18 days with diarrhea. I had to go in for a stool sample last week to see if I had C-Diff. That test came back negative but still dealing with diarrhea. This medicine is so strong and my whole gut is messed up. Wish I had pushed harder for amoxicillin and never got put on this. I’m miserable.”

Jay · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2020

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “I was prescribed clindamycin for middle ear infection. I was terrified of the reviews but was able to finish the bottle. I took the 300mg 4x a day for 10 days. The first 3 pills were fine but by the 4th one I felt so sick. Since there is limited space I’ll just give my advice on how to get better. After the 6th day of taking this I didn’t have any aide effects. To avoid heartburn you HAVE to drink a lot of water when taking this pill. I drank 24oz each time. DO NOT lie down right after taking it. I usually stood up for 30 min after and I also slept straight up on my couch. I also ate something either right before or 15 min before taking this. I got a slight heartburn once but nothing else. To lower the risks of c diff diarrhea you definitely need probiotics in your life. I did have diarrhea and slight stomach pains for the first 4 days but it was regular for the rest of the time. I ate probiotic yogurt 2 hours after each pill and found a probiotic pill. Be sure to take probiotics at least 2 hours after your antibiotic.”

Cat Lady · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “I had these really bad o pen sores on legs and after taking clindamycin I thought I was going to die. I thought I had one lodged in my throat. I tried to vomit, eat bread and drank water. For three days I couldn't eat or drink without severe pain and burning. My GI doctor told me it's a very strong antibiotic. 300 mg three times a day. I thought I had an ulcer. My GI doctor told me to double up on my protonix for two weeks and one once a week. Hopefully this will help.”

Ceceily · Taken for less than 1 month April 12, 2020

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “I had oral surgery on 4/9 and was prescribed this clindamycin medication. Twenty minutes after taking the first pill, i had a painful knot in my throat/chest that made me burp and it felt like I could puke any minute. I thought maybe it was stuck in my throat. I took my 2nd dose about 7 hours later and same thing. I called my oral surgeon yesterday morning and told him of this side effect. He told me to eat yogurt before taking it and that should help. He was right. I just eat half a cup of yogurt and then take this pill and the knot in my throat is gone. I hope this helps others who are having the same issue.”

Bergie · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2020

For Sinusitis: “After many months of trying other antibiotic for sinus infection and chronic cough my doctor prescribed Clindamycin. It worked after just a few days with just a bit of heart burn. As stated in many posts...take this with a lot of water and eat...especially yogurt prior to it. I am on my second round of 14 days as a preventative until I have surgery. It could be a while so I’m hoping I will not get the issues that many of you have had... All in all...it’s good stuff.”

Ceedee April 7, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “Took Clindamycin for a week and my whole digestive system is messed up. Even days after finishing it, my thought burns, I feel like there is a lump if pressure in my chest when ever I try to eat it keep food down, and my stool is very runny and I stay bloated.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 6, 2020

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “Took clindamycin for boils. I believe it helps a little bit, but I'm still getting boils so it doesn’t completely remove the infection.”

batman · Taken for less than 1 month April 3, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “Clindamycin was prescribed for my wife by a dentist to treat an abscessed tooth. Clindamycin led to severe, long lasting diarrhea and clostridioides difficile that almost the end of her. Beware!”

Gumby March 25, 2020

For Sinusitis: “After 5 days of taking clindamycin as directed for sinus by doctor/label, I developed hives, an allergic reaction, then discontinued medicating, and hives cleared up.”

Flowergirl · Taken for less than 1 month March 23, 2020

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “Took Clindamycin 150 mg dose 3x day for 7 days after tooth extraction. Developed severe burning tongue with metallic taste which has persevered now three days post ending drug treatment. How long will it take for this terrible side effect to go away? Anything I can do to hasten recovery?”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “Do not take this. I took it for a tooth abscess and it got worse and I had to go to the ER to get actual IV antibiotics pumped into me. I had horrible chest pains felt sick and my heart rate was very scarey. Please be careful taking this medication”

Ri March 3, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “Got prescribed this after already having been on another antibiotic for 10 days previous. They prescribed it as I was having bad ear & jaw pain still and it was starting to cause Vertigo and the pain wasn’t getting better on the old antibiotic. I’ve taken this times before but this time my stools have been pretty normal, soft but not diarrhea. I take it with whatever drink I’ve got with me that time of day (today it’s a monster energy) and it hasn’t been upsetting my stomach. I will say this time around my appetite has increased ten fold, and my brain does seem kinda foggy here and there. I do remember the first day or two on it my joints were sore but that’s a small price to pay for getting rid of whatever is causing you the pain in the first place. I’ve normally got a very sensitive gut but this medication hasn’t really done any harm since I started it a few days ago. Just relax and remember your body isn’t the same as anyone else’s.”

Susancan · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “Bad tooth infection spreading to sinuses Was terrified to take after reading reviews - MY TIP - read the positive reviews first! Anyways I’m allergic to most other antibiotics so no choice but to try or cry with pain. First few days really nauseous and tummy ache even following instructions (take with food lots of water probiotics etc). What fixed it FOR ME was to eat first then wait 15 mins then take tablet with 2 large glasses of water. Since then absolutely zero problems! I don’t eat carbs but have relaxed to include some for taking tablets and allow food to get into stomach before taking table. Would definitely take again as infection improved within a day. I have 7 more days as I chose 3x daily dosage rather than 4x over 10 days (impractical to eat at 2am and stay up for 40 minutes .... Hope this helps”

Sxoxo February 22, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “I took this for one week for a dental abscess which turned out to be chronic so it did not work for me. As far as side effects go, I read all the horror stories in these reviews and I did my best to avoid them. I took a probiotic every morning and I ate probiotic yogurt twice a day. I ate a full meal before the pill each time and waited about 10 minutes before I took it. I drank two glasses of water with the pill and I did not lay down for 40 minutes. I avoided all the crazy side effects, I didn't get heartburn or anything like that. For reference I am 23 years old, female and I weigh about 135. The only side effects that I experienced was actually after the pill and it is constant pooping, multiple times a day, for about a month now. I only started to experience this when I stopped taking the probiotics which were countering the effects of the antibiotic which I guess last a while after you finish it. So take your probiotics and don’t stop them for a while.”

Rule · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 20, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “Dr. H in Fredericton drained my abscess, and did a good job. But, I was prescribed Clindamycin for my throat infection on January 1 from Dr. Mi. And 3 day's later I was in the hospital with a numb leg and a swollen knee. The same day my muscles ware weak and I could feel my bones being eaten away! My teeth dried out and discolored in a browny color. My knee (joint) is extremely painful., The moral of the story is! I go inside the hospital with a throat abscess and I come back out in a wheelchair LIKE A HANDYCAPPED PERSON it destroyed my knee joint, the side effect of the drug Clindamycin is much worse than it describes itself. I can't work because I'm crippled !!!! I've visited many government doctors who all say I have osteoarthritis, but I say it was the clindamycin. I am an escaped prey knows who his Predator was, what am I supposed to do now??”

Sungoddess · Taken for less than 1 month February 9, 2020

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “I was prescribed clindamycin for a horrible infection of my finger that was swollen and I couldn't bend it. I had cramps and diarrhea the same day I started on it. I took a 300mg dose every 8 hours for 10 days. I broke out in hives on day 4 or 5. Had the worst heart burn I've ever experienced. Also felt like I was getting a yeast infection. Then 2 days after finishing the mess I woke up with every joint from head to toe hurting like never before. Every muscle ached also from head to toe for 2 days . Horrible headache, lethargic and weak and sweating and clammy and absolutely miserable. These symptoms were worse than any flu I'd ever had. I could barely get out of bed for 48 hours. Then the body aches subsided quite a bit. I kept having chronic headaches, nausea, diarrhea still going on since day one. Still clammy and sweaty and weak. My GI system hurts from sternum to my butt. I will never take this pill again !!”

Rls · Taken for less than 1 month February 5, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “I was described Clindamycin for a severe tooth infection. I’ve been taking it for 7 days, every 8 hours. Almost done. It has cleared up my infection. I didn’t find it hard on my stomach, but did give me diarrhea. One night, I did take it and it caused severe heart burn, but only the one time. I’m glad it took away my pain, but my family Doctor told me is is very, very strong and causes abdominal issues. So be careful! It’s not for everyone.”