User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Clindamycin.

Clindamycin Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 887 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Bacterial Infection

"I'm not sure where these doses of 400mg and 500mg are coming from. Typically, you would take 150mg, 300mg, 450mg, 600mg, or even 900mg. Unless you had some weird IV dose, you couldn't possibly take 400 or 500mg capsule form by mouth. Are you sure you're taking Clindamycin? I've taken 300mg every 6 hours without issues, but everyone responds differently to antibiotics."

JaaSo December 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Causes the most severe chest pain imaginable. Can't eat, drink, or swallow."

Rich51 (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"II had a tooth infection and t's works. So there's that. However the side affects are intense. Don't expect your stomach to be normal for 6-8 months after treatment. Using the bathroom sometimes 5 times a day number 2. I was eating yogurt everyday with oats. Everything I ate after the first week of treatment. Felt like a grenade went off in my stomach. My stomach flora took along time to recover from this antibiotic. Not really sure if it's useful to eat yogurt or take probiotics while taking this. I would imagine the antibiotic kills it anyway. I was on it for 1 week. It does work but be prepared."

NOTDickyV (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The first day of taking this medicine I was fine, actually it made my throat feel even better. It was the next day that scared me . Up until now I thought I wasn't allergic to anything (especially medicine), turns out was completely wrong. At first it just started with a stuffy nose but than it started to get worse as time went by, my chest started to become tight and my throat felt like it become a bit swollen again, combining all of this it was a little hard to breath. I first thought it was the pain medication I was taking along with this antibiotic so I stop taking it and I did became a bit better. It was my next dose that proved me wrong. I woken up to not only trembling nonstop (with numbness) but finding it very hard to breath."

Having a Allergic Reaction November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking this medication for about 7 days now( out of a 10 day period) for strep throat because I am allergic to penicillin. The day before I started taking it I was in so much pain I went to the hospital which is where I got the medicine and I got almost immediate relief from the body pain. I always make sure I drink at least 8 oz of water with the pills and do NOT lay down for at least 10 minutes, I have not had any side effects so far. The only thing I can say is my stomach is always grumbling after I take it but that's nothing to worry about. I'm wondering how bad the strep infection actually was though considering a lot of the reviews I see are for worse infections."

Experienced in meds (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I’ve taken clindamycin a couple times over the last few years and have had minor side effects. Heart burn is the worst side effect I have experienced but I started taking the pill DURING meals and it helped greatly. I guess it’s because it’s going down with other food and not by itself. This antibiotic is definitely strong and does the job of getting rid of infections. Take some probiotics and Zantac with it and you’ll be good to go."

anna81597 November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug reminds me of Vicadin. Which isn't a good pain drug because of the continual dosing. You have to continually take this clindamyacin 4x a day and I'm not waking in the middle of the night for the 4th dose! Ridiculous. My day is number 5 and my temples are sore. Side affect, maybe. Next time I think I'll ask for the more powerful, with less doses per day. Two doses per day, the old school way, would be better. This is on my DO NOT TAKE LIST!."

Wontdoagain (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a post-surgical infection that was not going away and had been on doxycycline, levofloxamine and had been given vancomycin IV when I had an abscess drained. This med did the trick along with bactrim. I had read the reviews so I made sure I stayed hydrated, drinking a full 16 oz bottle of water w/each dose. My doctor had me taking probiotics about 2 hours after dosing. I also took one before bed. I think that and the water really held any of the wicked side-effects at bay, but of course, everyBODY is different.For what it's worth I also drank orange juice and ate citrus as much as possible after reading that most bacteria don't do well in an acidic environment. I figured it couldn't hurt. Call Doc if you get diarrhea - can be deadly."

C2 Nebraska October 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this drug for an ear and sinus infection. Within an hour of the first dose, I got a bitter taste on my tongue. But not just on what you think as your tongue. I can also taste it halfway down my throat. It's so bad I have to constantly chew gum, eat, or drink something strongly flavored. It also keeps me awake at night. I have to keep gum in my mouth, which I press flat and smush to the roof of my mouth. After five days and four nights, I finally cried uncle and called my doctor, who told me to discontinue the medicine. Unfortunately, the taste persists, and I've now got burning pain in my esophagus. The good news is my ear/sinus infections are better, but clindamycin is going on my allergy list. I'll never take it again."

Elivandersys (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took this med orally 4x a day for ten days after receiving two injections of it. Infection in a surgery incision was the cause. First round of a different antibiotic wasn't effective. I didn't take any precautions like eating or not laying down right away as I had to take it in the middle of the night. Didn't have any real side effects other than getting sick once and that was really unpleasant. Hard to get the capsules down without them getting stuck in my throat. Been off them for a few weeks now and my infection is finally gone and my wound is heeling. It also helped with the pain from my wound that was throbbing before this med. Over all I'm happy with the turn out and everyone reacts differently so it may work great like it did for me."

Heather MCR October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a dental abscess and impacted wisdom teeth. I was prescribed the 300mg from the emergency room. When I first started taking it, I felt like acid was burning underneath my gums and pain running from my head to my ear and jaw. Excruciating pain. 2nd day the same thing. Every time I take this, it gives me horrible, burning pain that last about 30mins. I thought it was because of the infection. Then, I started feeling nauseous. Every day after, I was feel more and more nauseous, fatigued, and my teeth were more and more sensitive. The pain was excruciating when I tried to eat breakfast. I have to before I take this stuff to prevent the nauseous feeling but it didn't work. I have to take this for 10 days. I don't want to take this again."

Dawn W. October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took this for bepharitis. Day 1, totally fine. Day 2, first dose, still good. Went to lunch and took a dose and then 5 minutes later BOOM It was like the worst feeling heartburn I have ever possibly experienced in my life. I had to drive across town, white knuckling the steering wheel. Then the nausea set it. Ran into the drugstore in tears to find the the antacids. Those DID NOT help. I ate like 5. Then this kept going in cycles of excruciating pain in my eusophagus to wanting to vomit and back again. I managed to drink a slight bit of water which helped ease A bit. it is now nearly two hours later and I’m still feeling like my eosophagus is just going to dissolve. I managed to call my doc and ask for a different med."

ThisIsAwfulJustDont (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"No side effects, works great for tooth infections. I always eat before taking any antibiotics. Not sure why others are having such a difficult time with this med."

LAMC (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My ENT physician has put me on this antibiotic for Infectious mononucleosis (mono or glandular fever), at first I thought that I was just going to die. On top of the Mono symptoms, the Cleocin made me nauseous, stomach swelled. Doctor suggested taking medication with a bit of soft drink, and it did work. After 7 days of this I would do it again. I have had Mono twice before, and no not from kissing. I have a low immune system, I wish I had this with the other bouts of illness."

Ali_Oop614 September 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Kills the infection, but the stomach cramps are horrific"

Andyman1061 September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this and within 24 hours the infection was reduced and bearable. I actually love it. I did get a little nauseous and threw up twice but it was worth it for me."

Anonymous September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed clindamycin after having all my wisdom teeth cut out so that way I didn't get an infection......shortly after finishing the antibiotic I became very ill and thought I had a stomach bug! I realized it wasn't a stomach bug when my stool was a black/red color which indicates bleeding! My doctor told me that the antibiotic had given me C-Diff (clostridium difficile)! So I've been prescribed more antibiotics to get rid of the c-diff infection, weird right? lol. Anyways, if you take clindamycin and start having symptoms of what you think is a stomach bug, please go to the doctor! C-Diff can become a severe/life threatening infection!"

sum123 (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a sinus infection that wouldn't go away with other antibiotics and I'm allergic to so many of the other strong ones that this is what I ended up being prescribed. I was worried about bad side effects because of my standing allergies, but it's really not all that bad. I started feeling better after the first day and I didn't have any side effects at first. It's day 6 of a 10 day treatment and I have a terribly sore throat but that's the only bad side effect I've noticed besides some soreness and mild nausea if I don't eat much. Note that I take a probiotic everyday, eat before each pill and drink a full bottle of water. I also don't lie down for at least 30 minutes after taking it. I'll try to stick out the full 10 days."

Starrberry (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worked excellent! Bacterial infection gone within days, swelling was down 50% within 12hrs."

Balloon_Man (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a stiff neck due to an abscess on my neck which was quite painful. My Dr recommended me Clindamycin antibiotics. Two days into the dose the antibiotics kicked in and I could see the abscess drying up and forming a scab. At the same time my skin underneath was healing. The infection cleared away after 7 days of dosage and my neck was back to normal."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a bad, bad tooth infection and needed a root canal. Dentist gave me clindomyacin ...400 mg 4 times per day for 2 weeks! Then after the root canal he wanted me to take another round of it! But the second time I took 1-2 days worth and said, "That's enough. No more. I'm rollin' the dice on this one." It tore up my stomach. It's two months later now and having to have an endoscopy to see what damage it has done. I was doing real good before taking the Clindomyacin. Never again! It's on my "do not ever take list." If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I truly would have just had the tooth pulled. My stomach has not been the same since. Also had explosive bowel problems with it, going 4-5 times per day!"

Joann Elaine (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a bad skin infection that turned into a blood infection rather quickly- while this antibiotic kicked its ass it also kicked mine. I was on 500 mg 3 times a day for about 2 weeks (starting off with IV and then when I was discharged pills) The side effects I experienced was like a living hell. I'd rather cut off my leg than take them again. Heart burn, metallic taste, my skin started peeling off on my hands, face, and legs. My eczema broke out terribly, but my acne cleared up so there's that. But the worst part was the diarrhea and nausea. I feel so faint and tired, 24/7, no appetite and my stomach feels like I have bowling balls in it. I've been vomiting almost every day along with non stop diarrhea. It works. But its HELL. even after you stop"

Ughhifeelsosick August 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took 300 mg 3x day following root canal. No side effects except mild diarrhea, which went away within 3 days after stopping the meds. Cleared up the infected area nicely. Happy with results. Ate yogurt every day."

Rom234 July 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took this medicine because of a tooth ache and I'm waiting for a root canal. DO NOT lay down right after you take it. I have unbelievable heartburn and indigestion...I can't even sleep. I never get this. Also take with a full meal. I took the 300mg capsule and went to bed....huge mistake. Got up had some toast and no relief at all. Tooth ache pain is gone. I'm allergic to a lot of drugs but not this one so I really have no other choice."

Wholky5 (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was just prescribed this medication a few days ago and I'm glad I read the information package before hand because there are some potentially yucky side effects to this medication. I initially had no problems with this however last night, on my 4th night of the prescription I woke out of a dead sleep with the worst chest pains I have ever had in my life. I legitimately thought I was having a heart attack it was so bad. I woke my boyfriend in a panic, it was terrifying. I have had panic attack before and I always suffer from acid re-flux but my God this was bad. I have never in my life been affected by a medication the way I was by this one. After a while it did subside but this morning I still have a dull ache in my chest/throat area."

Chest pains July 13, 2017