User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Clindamycin Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 875 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Bacterial Infection

"My dentist prescribed this awful medicine for a tooth infection. I made it through the 1st dose but the 2nd caused instantaneous severe heartburn that was so horrendous I vomited everything I had eaten that day. Sadly that didn't get rid of the heartburn. 3 days later it feels like there's a hole burned into my lower esophagus. The dentist switched me over to erythromycin but I can't stomach the idea of swallowing another pill when the pain will surely come with it. Would prefer injections over this nightmare."

NeverAgain122 September 23, 2016

"Aug 27 2016 my mother took 2 heart attacks a direct result of CLINDAMYCIN, she was on it just 5 days & this was not listed as a side effect. Our Dr. and pharmacist confirmed. If I had I known she had this prescription I'd have refused it immediately. 1974 CLINDAMYCIN caused me permanent digestive damage & I must deal with to this day! & that is also not listed as a side effect. I hope you will add both to your site. Since CLINDAMYCIN is used mainly for toe & feet infection which mainly affects seniors & diabetics, obviously they don't warrant research to make this product just as effective without killing the patient! As we have no reporting system in Canada, god only knows how many have died."

Trudi Trahan-upchan (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2016

"I was prescribed this medicine by two different doctors for an infection that I had in my mouth where I had gotten my wisdom teeth out. I was warned about the sidea effects and I decided to take a probiotic while on it. It worked great for my mouth infection; swelling went down and pain greatly lessened quickly. I took the whole dose while on probiotics as well and it went well. The only problem I had was that I got a yeast infection while taking it. Other than that, it worked great!"

oreokk (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2016

"I'm taking this medication to get rid of some vaginal bacteria. The first day I took it, I was experiencing extreme nausea and watery stools. However, I did see improvement in vaginal discharge on the first day! So overall, not SO bad. Just make sure you drink a lot of water and take some pepto!!"

tayzam September 15, 2016

"Like several others have said - this drug works great if you take it properly. I was prescribed clindamycin for an infection in my gums, and after reading reviews I was nervous about taking it. I spaced my doses 7 hours apart, made sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day, and took probiotics (Florastor and Culturelle) 2x per day, and I have had no issues. My infection has greatly subsided, and I haven't had any side effects described in other reviews.."

lime22 (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2016

"I've had a reoccurring tooth infection from a chipped tooth . What started out as the usual throbbing pain and swelling in my gums against my tongue turned into my face and neck puffing up until my eye started closing. This occurred about 36 hours after the throbbing had started. Went to a walk-in clinic and was given the typical Amoxicillin 500mg every 8 hours for 14 days. After 8 days, in excruciating pain, I went back to the walk-in and got Clindamycin 300mg every 6 hours for 14 days...after 2 doses the abscess burst and drained, swelling & pain went down immediately and I was allowed to heal. Dentist was able to do root canal and have been problem free for 3 years now."

Cheshirecraze (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2016

"Don't be scared of other's reviews, I came here after being prescribed this medicine because I had never heard of it, and wanted to get more information. After reading all the reviews, most of them telling horror stories about their experience. I followed every letter of the instructions, I took each pill with a 16 oz glass of water, stayed seated or standing for 10-20 minutes, took as prescribed every 6 hours, and took a probiotic once a day. After the first 36 hours I noticed the pain of the infection started to subside and the affected area got smaller. After 72 hours on the medication, I was feeling back to normal. The only side affect I noticed was a slightly upset stomach one day that I forgot to take the probiotic."

mhammer616 August 23, 2016

"Clindamycin is one of the oldest, safest, and most effective broad-spectrum drugs on the market. It must however be taken as directed, meaning you should probably eat something before you take it, you must take the entire prescription, and follow proper dosaging instructions. If you fail to do this, your infection can return, the bacteria can become resistant, which means the bacteria could become immune, and you will no longer be able to take this antibiotic. As someone who is not able to take antibiotics like penicillin due to a life-threatening allergy, I consider this to be a wonder drug. All drugs have contraindications (side effects), the least of which is stomach ache/GI issues."

Sassynsweet (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2016

"I took this medicine for 5 days, and then I decided it was not worth the suffering. The dentist wasn't even sure I needed it, but prescribed it anyway. I stopped taking it because of extreme pain on my left side, right below my breast. It didn't feel like any gas I've ever had, but I guess it was some type of intestinal pain. I was also having frequent, urgent bowel movements though not diarrhea as they warn about. Now five days without the meds, and I'm still nauseous, especially after bowel movements. I'm bloated, gassy, and just generally feel awful. What a mistake it was to trust my dentist on this one!"

Kris 2016 August 14, 2016

"prescribed for a tooth infection. on day 5 I experience severe pain below the breastbone, extending on both sides under the ribcage. Excessive pain upon swallowing liquids of any kind and any temperature, pain was in the esophogus area near the diaphram. Hearburn and desire to burp without any ability to do so. I discontined use of the drug, symptoms are subsiding but still present slightly. I hope it is reversible! I have not had any GERD or other type problems prior to this drug."

63yFemale July 29, 2016

"Excellent drug! Very fast pain relief (1-2 days) with no side effects. Other antibiotics have made me extremely nauseous, but no problems with this one at all."

Beth G July 28, 2016

"I'm on 4 pill per day every 6 hours for 10 days for a really bad gum abcess. On day 5 right now and there is a HUGE difference it's almost gone very small BUT my throat hurts incredibly bad (feels like it did when I had strep ) and my head aches all day as well as some pretty bad vertigo. Trying to push through the rest to get rid of this abcess but I have flu like symptoms besides nausea. Worked a lot better than when I tried penicillin for it but I'm paying for it with the side effects."

Chelsey401 July 21, 2016

"Due to an infected tooth, I was given penicillin which didn't work at all. I was then given clindamycin which has left me with such a severe sore throat that keeps me up all night in agonizing pain. Swallowing has me wanting to jump out the window in pain"

Inpainstill (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2016

"Infected tooth dentist gave me this to help the infection. First pill no side affects 2nd pill had me in tears. I felt like my face was going to explode. My sinus cavities were so full of pressure and pain in every direction.. above my eyes below my cheek bones my jaw bones behind my ears even motrin didnt take the pain away... i called my primary care dr. They say ita normal okay ita normal to be in so much pain and feel like your face is going to explode... so i reluctantly took the 3rd pill and i juat cant take anymore same issue pain and the sad fact my tooth pain is gone but my face is hurting so bad im allergic to penicillin so thia was my only alternative"

Mammens10 (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2016

"I had penicillin-resistant tonsillitis. A week of amoxicillin had no effect, and I'd had the infection for 3 weeks. It wasn't too severe, but it was steadily getting worse, and I was in no rush to have body parts cut out of my mouth in order to get rid of the infection. An ENT prescribed clindamycin and an anti-inflammatory, and within a single day I visibly saw the infection peeling away from my tonsils (yeah, it was gross, but in a good way)., and all the discomfort was gone. I had no side effects, and haven't yet seen any antibiotics-caused diseases. Maybe it's just a single anecdote, but so are all the other reviews on here. Thought I'd throw in a positive experience."

glester491 July 1, 2016

"Severe headach .. Feel like voming ... Severe Diarrhea ...، I stopped it second day .. Was 300mg x2 ... I prefer to have my tooth inductions than having all that side effects.. My bowl was jumping all the day ... I think more researches should be done on it .. Its so dangerous"

Najmi (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2016

"OMG- Dentist gave me for bacterial infection in mouth before oral surgery. I was taking 300mg 4 times a day for 10 days. On the 5th day I became so sick with violent diarrhea and extreme naseua i had to get off. I continued to day 7 at least and told them I could no longer or would no longer take them as I felt like I was going to die. I did my research after and the horror stories for most people that have taken them should have been an alarm to me. I haven't been on antibiotics for years and years and believe in healing holistically and naturally but felt this was an exception to the rule. Trying to step up eradicating infection with even more natural things but don't know since I have been on those dreadful antibiotics."

no name 123 (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016

"I'm taking this for strep throat 10 days 3x a dayat first it worked fine felt like it was helping now I'm almost done and these last few days have been awful I have bad heartburn it hurts from my stomach to my throat it burns my stomach hurts to move feels like bad gas and I'm throat hurts to swallow anything it's hard to drink"

Kisha_32 June 22, 2016

"I took this for 10 days for a staph infection on my skin. No side effects that I can remember, BUT IT GAVE ME A C. DIFF INFECTION. DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION WITHOUT PROBIOTICS. Clindamycin has ruined my life. Avoid it at all costs if you don't need it. Extremely dangerous."

smobo (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2016

"I debated whether or not to take this drug because of the warning of potential c-diff infection. I had a root canal on a molar that left me in pain with swelling and numbness of my lip and chin. My Endodontist suspected infection so she prescribed penicillin. After a week of taking it there was no change so she prescribed Clindamyacin. I have been taking 300 mg. 3 times a day for 7 days now and thank God the worst side effect is fatigue and my stomach hurts.... almost like a "raw" kind of feeling. No diarreah, or nausea ! It seems to have taken the swelling down so hopefully the infection is on its way out. I will say that I have been diligent in taking 2 probiotics a day and I drink 8oz. of water with every dose!"

Anonymous May 30, 2016

"After less than a week in this medication, my infection greatly improved BUT then I woke on evening with chest pain so bad that I went to the emergency room certain I was having a heart attack!! Never, ever, again will I take this antibiotic."

Dee54 May 30, 2016

"I've been taking clindamycin 300 mg 3 times a day for 6 days now it was prescribed to me because I had a tooth pulled and ended up getting infected.after taking it for 2 days the swelling in my face went down and finally on day six I have no pain I have however experience some cramping in my stomach very little nothing that interrupts my daily routine and have had some nausea but doesn't last long and nothing I can't handle.other than this I've been good with it BUT.....this is only day 6 so I'll see how I feel once I've finished all the antibiotics.."

Bjp123 (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

"I knew the side-effects of this medication and the potential for stomach issues, but I was diagnosed with cellulitis in one of my eyes and did not want to end up with meningitis. The first few days were rough with a lot of heartburn and diarrhea, but as so many other people have mentioned, this can be managed by taking it after or with a meal, eating foods that are not acidic and drinking a lot of water. The good news is that only after 4 hours and the first dose, the swelling started to disappear. It sucks to take it, but it works."

chershow (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

"I ended up with C-DIFF after two weeks on Clindamycin prescribed by dentist for an "infection" that didn't even hurt! Then an additional 10 days on penicillin following oral surgery of two molars. Have NEVER been that sick in my life. Ended up in the hospital. Thought I would die and could have! Talk to any gastroenterologist and they'll tell you dentists should NOT be prescribing clindamycin any more. There are far safer alternatives. I was concerned about too long a stretch of antibiotics, as a normally healthy person, but they BOTH insisted I take it! Don't EVER take clindamycin! The medication to correct it cost $700 plus hospital costs."

Tater123 May 13, 2016

"I'm extremely sensitive to all types of antibiotics -- penicillin, amoxicillin, sulfur drugs, cephalosporins, Zithromax. I can't even take most OTC drugs. Unfortunately, I came down with strep throat, and had to see a doctor. Thankfully, I have an amazing doctor who found me something that worked. Here are two tips that you HAVE to follow when taking this medication even if you are NOT generally sensitive to antibiotics. 1) Take it right after you eat a meal if it says with food. Every. Single. Time. No exceptions. 2) Drink AT LEAST 16 oz of water with it. My doctor put me on the lowest dose, 150 mg, three times a day for ten days. It worked beautifully. No headaches, puking, joint pain, dizziness, or rash."

KDMay (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016