User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Clindamycin Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 888 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Bacterial Infection

"No side effects at all but I Still got a toothache so I made a appointment to see my dentist Wednesday the pain is unbearable and is killing me to the Max. This medicine didn't work and pain medication not working... I can't eat or sleep"

Nikki89 April 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had an infection deep in upper gum, 2 cycles of amoxi, lost potency so started clindamycin 300mg now I'm off to the E.R. So it's not just the clindamycin that caused this but I cannot stress enough make sure you are taking probiotics when taking antibiotics! "

near death April 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm taking clindamycin for tooth infection... The first day I took the pill I drunk a smoothie with it and didn't lay down for a while, I didn't have any problems at all no heart burn no irritated throat and no stomach pain... It's how you take the medicine and what you take it with..."

MsLady89 April 9, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Nightmare. 2 hours after taking it chest hurt, experienced urination retention (I had to concentrate to release pee) yikes. Could not lie back without heart feeling like it will explode. I think the medicine was trying to kill me. Throat felt weird beyond words. My uncle is a dentist and said this is one antibiotic to QUIT and NOT finish the bottle. I read about people who stuck it out and continued through the bizarre symptoms and side effects and they regretted it. Sick for months after quitting"

Root canal on vacation April 7, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Given enough Clinda for 42 doses over 14 days.....450mg per dose for question of infected vag. After 5 doses....had diarrhea, bloating, dry mouth. Stopped the med, contacted doc via email where I stated "I stopped Clinda due to side effects xyz that may lead to CDiff, need follow up visit". Saw doc In 2 days, she said culture came back negative so really didn't need antibiotic anyway. Make sure your doctor does a culture of your infection! (using swabs, syringe, tissue sample...etc.). In the Microbiology Lab, the bacteria are identified and then tested against multiple antibiotics. Your dr is given a list of all antibiotics that would work against your particular bacteria. Clinda may not be the only solution!"

Iszabella (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Dr gave me 300mg 4 times a day for what they think is infection in my foot after a drawer fell on my foot and had fluid on top of foot with swelling. After 3rd dose throat was swollen. Couldn't swallow made the left side of my chest hurt so bad it felt like a heart attack. I was itching so bad. I was so thirsty. I went to ER, Dr said he had never heard of anyone having a reaction to that med. Gave me a shot of benadryl it helped. It wore off and everything happened again. Days later my stomach is cramping. I have been drinking pedalite & Gatorade. Still feel thirsty. I am allergic to penicillin & bactrim so Dr thought this would be a good one. It is not. This is wicked stuff. NEVER EVER will I take again"

Horriblesick (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have taken Clindamycin a few times as its the only antibiotic I am not allergic to. This time I'm taking it for a recurring bladder infection 300mg every 6 hours. I have MS so discomfort in my tummy is a normal thing for me. One day in and my bladder infection is so much better. This is the absolute best antibiotic I have taken for a bladder infection. The heartburn and yuck taste in your mouth is unpleasant but temporary. You know doubt will end up with a yeast infection from this antibiotic because it kills ALL bacteria good and bad. But because it works quickly the side effects are worth it."

Mjrivard April 2, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi. I started taking clindamycin about an hour ago for a bacterial infection (upper respiratory / sinus infection). Within only several minutes my esophagus started burning and I feel like throwing up. I have only had one dose of 300mg. I was started on clindamycin because I had bad side effects (numbness and tingling in my hands) to another antibiotic (clarithromycin). Clarithromycin really helped treat the infection, but I stopped it after 3 days. I'm allergic to penicillin so that makes things harder. My doctor warned me about the harshness of clindamycin, but I thought that I'd rather have some GI issues than neuropathy as a side effect - which is still true, but I can't imagine taking even another dose as I feel so sick."

Toni44 March 25, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have been on clindamycin 7+ days (300 mg morning & night) & am doing just fine. Have another week to go. Did not know about drinking lots of water, taking with food or sitting up afterwards. Just got bad dry mouth. Was prescribed this because I am allergic to penicillin. Told if I didn't finish it all, I was in danger of sepsis. Bad tooth/jaw infection with killer pain. Felt better in 24 hours. Worked great for me. (Sorry for those of you who had terrible reactions. Hope you have gone back to your doctor since C-diff is a real possibility. I had ulcers and gastritis before and shudder when you mention the pain.)"

Californiagrits March 23, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given 300mg to take 3x a day for 7 days for an abscess. Dentist & pharmacist warned of nasty side effects. Enclosed papers with instructions and warnings were scary and only recommend taking with food, water and avoid laying for 10 minutes after taking. I looked online to see if taking probiotics would help prevent colitis. Found these rating and was even further scared. I noticed everyone who gave positive reviews mentioned probiotics, yogurts, and staying upright for at least 30 minutes. So that is what I did. No side effects what so ever. No heartburn, diarrhea (I actually became constipated), or belly pain. I took a Probiotic with 10 billion strains 1x a day and ate a 0% Activia yogurt at every dose. Pain gone by day 3."

mishni March 20, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Would never recommend this antibiotic! I was prescribed 7 days 3 times a day today take this med so I did, I have a very bad stomach to start with. I was able to do my first 7 days without a problem, then after my seven days I started to have really bad diarrhea and I rarely have this. It has lasted now for like two weeks. Now I had to restart another dosage of clindamycin for another 7 days but I saw that they were not the same colour as the other ones I had taken I don't know why but anyways I started them yesterday and I've never felt sicker! My stomach was very upset, diarrhea, nausea, chills, fever, dizziness and my throat is hurting. I not one to complain usually but after this I immediately stopped the medication! Never again"

Mimi25 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Currently on this med, 300mg 3x daily. I don't know where all these negative reviews are coming from, perhaps there is a small population that experience bad side effects. I have been on this med for 4 days now(for strep) and have used this med in the past and I have zero problems with it. Barely been eating, drinking yet I have no issues with stomach. Maybe it's because I am young? Just after day 2 my throat completely stopped hurting, I was shocked after how much it hurt the day before. Still covered in spots but I know it's working, as I am only halfway through taking it. Everyone is different, this will work for some while others not so much. Same with side effects"

Anonymousx3000 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Taking Clindamycin 300mg three times a day for 3 weeks due to Cellulitis. I'm about to end my third week and for the past 4-5 days I've had horrible heartburn, feels like something is stuck in your throat and horrible acid feeling in my stomach. The medication has worked wonderfully. I just hate these side effects. The Dr recommended I ate before taking it to prevent these side effects but even though I eat and take the pill afterward I still feel the heartburn starting in a matter of minutes right after taking the pills. If you're on this get something strong for these effects cause they are a nightmare."

Shukis.sg (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Y'all are all such babies to be adults I mean really. The side effects suck but when it comes to actually doing what its prescribed it does a great job. Suck it up people."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"To those who are saying the negative symptoms will not be experienced if you follow instructions, screw you. I'm on this for an infected cat bite. I'm pregnant, it's the only safe antibiotic for me apparently. I am taking these as prescribed by doctor and pharmacist with lots of water and food. The heart burn and stomach cramps/diarrhea are hell. And guess what!? On the package it describes these as known symptoms to the medication. I hate what I am going through. So far I have found no relief and want nothing more than to stop taking them. I will be following up with my doctor. To those who are lucky enough to not experience the symptoms/side effects? Good on you! others aren't as lucky."

Heartburn haven March 5, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Horrible! Do not take! I had it for my tooth infection and Initially, everything was fine for 4 days of taking 150mg 3 times a day. On the 5th day I suffered delirium, rash, white tongue, dry mouth, an extreme ill feeling, chills, nausea, and had a huge pain in my stomach area. I quit taking it, and 3 days later I still have the white tongue (thrush) and nausea . I did not have the diarrhea because I ate yogurt while on this killer antibiotic. Yogurt is a probiotic, and if you choose to take Clindamycin, PLEASE EAT yogurt so you don't get diarrhea!"

sal15 March 4, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was perscribed this medication for a tooth infection and upon reading reviews I was TERRIFIED of it. So many negatives! I went ahead and took the advice of those who gave it higher ratings. I am on four 300mg doses everyday, so I take a pill at noon, 6pm, midnight, and 6am. I take it with 20 ounces of water and a small snack or near a meal. Afterwards I make sure to sit up or sleep a little elevated for at least the next 30 minutes. I also am taking a probiotic everyday to counter act against all the "good" bacteria this medication is also killing off. So far I've had ZERO side effects, my tooth pain has gone away and gums no longer swollen. I still have a couple days left but I am assuming it'll be the same."

Bsmith33 (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug need to be taken out of the market!!! Why ? 1. Kills all your good bacteria. Doctor's don't inform you this and try to give you a diet where you gain back your good bacteria. 2. Yellow tongue - kills all good bacteria. 3. Like other user stated. You feel like something stock in your throat. ASK YOUR DOCTOR HOW TO HELP YOUR BODY GET YOUR GOOD BACTERIA."

Alantx March 3, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"TRUST ME: While you're waiting for your script to be filled, walk on over to the vitamin aisle & grab a bottle of good old Acidophilus. Whichever brand has the highest 'count' (1 Billion, 1 Million, etc.). It may pricey but believe me, it's worth it. This will counteract & help gastrointestinal upset & possible yeast infection. Antibiotics rid the body of bad bacteria but also the good which is why we have side effects. Take it with any antibiotic! Plus, it won't go wasted! This is a beneficial probiotic for afflictions you may not think of i.e. gas, IBS, skin issues & you can't take too much. Take it daily- even after finishing any antibiotic."

Bad teeth (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 2, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Just started taking this medication after a dental gum graft. I drank PLENTY of water as directed. Felt as if my life was ending with the severe heart burn I experienced. I guess this is something we need to endure if we don't wont a massive infection in our bodies ... This just doesn't seem right ?!?!?!?!"

Meeeeeshelle February 28, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed cleocin (clindamycin) for an infected tooth. I have never had this antibiotic before, called the pharmacist and was told to drink a lot of water because it has a tendency to cause diarrhea. Well I stayed on it for five days while enduring terrible stomach cramps and uncontrollable diarrhea until I came to my senses. I called the dentist and switched to augmentin which did the trick. Now, ten days later, I'm still recovering from the side effects of the cleocin. I will never take this antibiotic again. There are too many alternatives to endure these reactions, let alone the fact that this drug strips your body of probiotics that affect the colon and can cause serious, and yes, even fatal consequences."

alwaysmedcheck February 24, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Just finished taking this, 300mg, three times a day for seven days. Infection cleared up and I did not experience any side effects whatsoever. I drank plenty of water while taking it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Did what it was supposed to. I went from being in the worst pain of my life to being in no pain in about 3 days. Works very well. Took it with water and probiotic yogurt as you're supposed to do and as a result I had no side effects. Pay no attention to all of the negative reviews complaining about indigestion, diarrhea and heart burn. If you take the medication properly and follow your pharmacist's orders you won't have any problems. I don't think it's smart to advise other people not to take potentially life saving medication because you weren't able to listen to instructions. Just take it with plenty of water and probiotic yogurt and you'll be just fine."

Nothing\ February 21, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took this for a week for bacterial vaginal infection. The day after I finished clindamycin, I started to feel sick. The next day I had chills and low grade fever with stomach pains and heartburn. It is day 5 that I finished this medication and still not feeling well. I would never take this med. Plus I read there is s FDA high warning it can cause C-diff. Google it. It's very scary!!"

Mare19 February 20, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Worst heartburn I've ever had in my life and I don't get heartburn ever. Losing sleep from the pain. Thought I was going crazy and then stumbled onto this page. Exact symptoms as everyone else."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2017