User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Clindamycin Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 879 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Bacterial Infection

"My dentist prescribed the Clindamycine, 300 mg for treating an infection of the gum, prior root canal procedure later in one week. After taking it for 2 days, I noticed heavy rash on both legs. I immediately stop the use of the Clindamycine. I had very bad diarrhea for 3 weeks. Within 24 hours after Endodontics complete a root canal on me, I got huge swelling in the left knee. I had to go to ER due to swelling and pain. The doctor pulled 90 ml of fluid from my knee and tested for bacterial infection and got a negative result. I took Naproxine for swelling. The swelling of the left knee went down but right knee and other joints continue swelling for month. My blood was tested for RA arthritis with negative result. Not recommended it."

allavik (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2017

"My dentist put me on clindamycin after I had my wisdom teeth taken out because of the infection in my gums (and I'm allergic to penicillin). I read reviews before taking this and was terrified. I've always had a weak stomach, suffering from both IBS and acid reflux. I always made sure to drink half a bottle of water and eat part of my meal before taking this. After taking the pill, I'd drink a full bottle of water and finish my meal. Besides feeling bloated from so much water, I never had any side effects from this antibiotic. I was on 300 mg every 6 hours. No issues."

texmex92 January 15, 2017

"Effective for treating bacterial tooth/gum infection, but the side effects were significant. Ulcer-like stomach pain, gas & intestinal cramping were the most worrying. I also felt weepy and depressed for no reason while taking clindamycin (which has happened to me on other antibiotics like Cipro). I also noticed achy bone and joint pains intermittently. I just felt generally unwell while taking this medication. Use caution if you're in a hospital setting or take a proton pump inhibitor, as clindamycin is the antibiotic most likely to cause C. diff infection."

Maude Findlay (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2017

"I was prescribed this for a infection on my knee and I am in a love hate relationship with this drug. Sure it did the trick (cleared it up and some of my acne as well) by the side effects were HORRIBLE. Every single night I would have a stabbing feeling in my back and chest that would last hours causing me to lose sleep... I would only recommend this if it is ABSOLUTELY necessary"

TheInfected (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2017

"I took this antibiotic for a tooth infection and it worked over all. The first day I was alright, but into the second day, I started having diarrhea. Now, almost 2 weeks later, I still have diarrhea and it's beginning to bother me because I have to go to the bathroom after I eat any little thing. I recommend any other antibiotic except clindamycin."

Disgruntled and Perturbed January 6, 2017

"I had a Staphylococcus Aureas infection. I had to take 4 times a day for 10 days, do recommend a probiotic. Had chapped lips and drainage of the scalp from staph infection, however after 2nd day, oozing did stop, after day 4, chapped lips went away. I did experience a heat rash and some intense cramps and bloating, but my skin did clear up really well, all my acne cleared. Did experience some nausea and diahrrea. Overall it took care of the problem for the time being but I finished my treatment last week and my chapped lips are back."

mrrmrrm January 6, 2017

"I was given to the clindamycin for a infection following a root canal. About 18 hours later after taking my first dose I was more or less drained of every ounce of energy that I had had the chills, light headed and extremely fatigued. The dr. That prescribed me this antibiotic never told me that I should take probiotics to replace all the bacteria that this medicine kills. After 5 days of being bedridden I discovered that I needed to take probiotics while taking this medicine. I thought I had the flu for sure with joint pain, chills and fatigue. I'm a very active person with plenty of energy and for the most part in very healthy but because I did not get the proper instructions from my doctor this medicine floored me. Get proper instruction"

Jspaz January 4, 2017

"Do not take this medicine! With almost any antibiotics it's smart to take a probiotic and to take on a full stomach (except the ones you need to take on an empty stomach). So I had the normal slight nausea. But about 5 days into taking it I started to hurt in my muscles like before you get the flu. Then I woke up in the middle of the night and I could hardly move. The joint pain in my wrists and back was unbearable. Not to mention extreme diarrhea. It's been about two weeks with the pain I'm not sure I'll ever start to feel better."

Alyrae (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2017

"I'm 2 months pregnant and was prescribed clindomycin for a vaginal bacterial infection. Never will I EVER take this pill again. As soon as I took it I got such bad indigestion that I was in tears. I've had heartburn and acid reflux since I was a kid and the pain was NOTHING like this. It feels like there is a burning hot rod lodged in my chest and the pain takes hours to go away. I had to deal with this pain twice a day for two weeks. Do NOT take this medication if you have any other choice."

ExpectingMommy (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2016

"I took this medication for a tooth infection. I have ulcers so I was concerned. My dentist told me a trick.. drink a half glass of water then eat half of your meal, take the pill, finish your meal and follow with full glass of water. Don't lay down for an hr. I followed his instructions and boom not one side effect. No stomach pain at all. ALWAYS take with food. Medication works wonders. I take 300mg 3x a day."

Ulcerqueen79 December 24, 2016

"I'm having heart pains at this very moment! I do not recommend."

negative December 22, 2016

"I have been taking this medication for 36 hours, in the first 12 I had bad nausea but that has since past, the pain from 2 abscess has subsided, I still have severe swelling in the face which I am slowly controlling with ice I have a feeling the abscess has broken as I have an awful taste in my mouth. My suggestion is take as prescribed drink lots of water and sleep as much as you can to help your body recover. Good luck everyone"

Calxtia (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2016

"I was prescribed clindamycin 4x daily 300mg after 5 days of penicillin had no effect on a tooth infection. I am 14 pills into the 28 pill course. This has worked for me....I take them religiously every 6 hours, 6:00 AM/PM and 12:00 AM/PM. I take them with a small meal (very light at midnight). Small because that's 4 meals a day plus I am taking a good probiotic yogurt or kefir a couple hours after each dose except at night. I wait about 30 mins. before retiring after that midnight dose and take a nap late afternoon or early evening in my recliner. The drug began working on my stubborn infection on the 2nd day. Metallic taste and a slight heartburn when I wake (sometimes) only side effects so far. I'll update a few days after finish."

Big Alan M November 30, 2016

"I had an infection in my wisdom tooth. My dentist gave me this antibiotic. After 2 days of taking it I got very sick. My stomach was hurting really bad to the point I was crying. I was vomiting. That only lasted a day. But now I week later I've been having the diarrhea like crazy. I've never went to the doctor yet cause I'm hoping this will just go away but I don't think it will. DO NOT take this antibiotic. Please don't. It's the worse if you get the side effects that I got."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2016

"I was honestly terrified when i read these reviews after being prescribed this after a root canal treatment. I was in a lot of pain during the procedure even though thoroughly frozen, dentist said she saw an infection and prescribed this in case. I was nervous buying it, and overly cautious taking them at the right time, with food, 2 glasses of water. I felt really tired and had a sore throat just after the first 6-8 dosages, and then the pain was gone (after months of it) and no other side effects, so i guess i've hit my stride with it. I'm halfway through now and am less stringent with eating each time, going well so far."

Aisys (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2016

"This is the worst antibiotic ever. I had a tooth which got infected. Expect severe heartburn, back pain. Anywhere that you havd ever injured flares up. Stomach issues, flu like symptoms. I had chills then got hot. Minimal exercise and could not breath. Ask your physician for another medication. Its not worth it. Try something else first. My eyelashes itch. Its bad."

Elise M. (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2016

"I am taking this medication for an infection in my feet and around my toenails and deep into my skin around my toenails. The pain is awful, I got to the point where I could barely walk. I tried on shoes in a store in my barefoot since I was wearing sandals and caught an infection. Never again will I be so stupid. This is my second day taking the medication and already I want to stop taking it. All of a sudden the top of my stomach started hurting badly to. To the point where I was moaning in severe pain. I can see where my feet are getting better, but it is not worth the pain. I am suppose to take it for 21 days for 3x's a day. I don't think so if this is the result on day 2 of taking the medication. The pain is just unbearable."

Forever Cautious October 21, 2016

"Took this medication to treat a two month gum infection (abscess). In day 4 of med, finally beginning to feel some relief. I follow instructions and use oatmeal every morning and liquids as prescribed. I have muscle pain in my leg but no other side effect so far. I consider my infection a 'biofilm' and likely difficult to treat so I will be happy just to say it worked."

PathologyMan October 16, 2016

"I took one 300 milligram dose after a root canal and after 5 hours horrible burning and itching down my back buttocks and ears were unbearable. I was standing at work when after an hour became light headed and had difficulty in walking. I had to stop every 5 steps to rest my heart was pounding I thought I was having a heart attack. I became nauseaous and extremely hot. I drank lots of water and sat down in front of the AC. I began to feel better. I came home and discovered blisters on my insides of both thighs and calf. My right hand is red and swollen and my lips are chaff and swollen. My back has a painful rash on it this is my first day one single dose...Never again.."

Pourshe October 8, 2016

"Took first pill, after 4 hours of taking it I layed down and it felt like knives were stabbing my stomach, upper and lower back for one hour. Proceeded with Sweating, chills, nausea and constant feeling of 50 knives in my stomach! $5.00 drug was not worth feeling like I'm dying."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2016

"My dentist prescribed this awful medicine for a tooth infection. I made it through the 1st dose but the 2nd caused instantaneous severe heartburn that was so horrendous I vomited everything I had eaten that day. Sadly that didn't get rid of the heartburn. 3 days later it feels like there's a hole burned into my lower esophagus. The dentist switched me over to erythromycin but I can't stomach the idea of swallowing another pill when the pain will surely come with it. Would prefer injections over this nightmare."

NeverAgain122 September 23, 2016

"Aug 27 2016 my mother took 2 heart attacks a direct result of CLINDAMYCIN, she was on it just 5 days & this was not listed as a side effect. Our Dr. and pharmacist confirmed. If I had I known she had this prescription I'd have refused it immediately. 1974 CLINDAMYCIN caused me permanent digestive damage & I must deal with to this day! & that is also not listed as a side effect. I hope you will add both to your site. Since CLINDAMYCIN is used mainly for toe & feet infection which mainly affects seniors & diabetics, obviously they don't warrant research to make this product just as effective without killing the patient! As we have no reporting system in Canada, god only knows how many have died."

Trudi Trahan-upchan (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2016

"I was prescribed this medicine by two different doctors for an infection that I had in my mouth where I had gotten my wisdom teeth out. I was warned about the sidea effects and I decided to take a probiotic while on it. It worked great for my mouth infection; swelling went down and pain greatly lessened quickly. I took the whole dose while on probiotics as well and it went well. The only problem I had was that I got a yeast infection while taking it. Other than that, it worked great!"

oreokk (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2016

"I'm taking this medication to get rid of some vaginal bacteria. The first day I took it, I was experiencing extreme nausea and watery stools. However, I did see improvement in vaginal discharge on the first day! So overall, not SO bad. Just make sure you drink a lot of water and take some pepto!!"

tayzam September 15, 2016

"Like several others have said - this drug works great if you take it properly. I was prescribed clindamycin for an infection in my gums, and after reading reviews I was nervous about taking it. I spaced my doses 7 hours apart, made sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day, and took probiotics (Florastor and Culturelle) 2x per day, and I have had no issues. My infection has greatly subsided, and I haven't had any side effects described in other reviews.."

lime22 (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2016