User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Clindamycin Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 854 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Bacterial Infection

"I was prescribed 300mg 3x per day after a root canal and tooth infection. It was highly effective in that within 24-36 hours of ingestion my pain and swelling decreased significantly. The one side effect that is driving me nuts is the bitter aftertaste. I eat 3 meals a day and do not over eat. I am going to talk to my dentist about this when I see him tomorrow (It's Sunday and I've been on this drug since the prior Thursday when my procedure was done). I think I need to stay on it because the infection was so bad - I have had lots of dental work and lots of antibiotics over the years that have never bothered me, but I guess the week ahead for me will be full of a bitter taste in my mouth most of the day."

DentalWorkinMN (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2018

"A lot of people say clindamycin makes them feel sick. Hell I couldn’t ever finish a cycle because it would make me feel sick and have chest pains. Come to find out this antibiotic likes to get stuck in your esophagus and that’s when the negative side effects begin. Make sure to drink a lot of water and eat something after taking it to ensure it moves thru your esophagus and gets to where it needs to. Ever since I found that out and I drink about 16Oz of water right after taking, the ill feeling side effects have vanished"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2018

"Had an implant and given amoxicillin after surgery. Got an infection and given Clindamycin. Dentist seems to think that I may be resistant to amoxicillin. Clindamycin seemed to work a little but really made me feel better was Methylprednisolone dose pack. I no longer need to be taking Motrin. Clindamycin side affects are feeling tired and heartburn, Pepcid Complete seems to help."

Ricky August 5, 2018

"Oh wow I literally just popped my first pill not even a minute ago & already heart is pounding so hard it hurts my throat, head hurts, feel like I might poop myself, exhausted, dizzy & might be slightly hallucinating. Thinking about puking it up cause I can't afford to be out of commission with a 2 month old to take care of. Definitely gonna have to use just formula for this week. I'll probably champ out the side effects but baby definitely couldn't handle them"

Post partum bv (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2018

Cleocin (clindamycin): "I just took my first dosage at 150mg 1/2 hour ago. I am already starting to feel the side effects. Diarrhea, itchy skin, sleepiness, headaches. Feels like my blood vessels about the burst in my head. Horrible! Not sure if I should continue with this med."

grumpy (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2018

"I was put on clindamyacin for a tooth infection on Wednesday (7/25/18) and today I developed severe tooth sensitivity to the point I can not eat. Going to try to tough it out."

Sadielynn (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2018

"Started this drug a week ago and there has been little if not none physical side effects. But I feel like I'm losing my mind. Lethargic, confusion, forgetting a lot, and very sensitive (more than I usually am). It's working well for my tooth abscess and gum infection. I try to take every 6-7 hours, but have become inconsistent because of side effects. It's best to rest A LOT while on this drug because it zaps your energy and I wake up feeling very tired."

Hailie (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2018

"After having a toothache all day, I noticed some swelling. Knowing it was an abscess, I went to the dentist. He prescribed me Cipro. After taking Cipro for 2 days the whole left side of my face was swollen, I was in agonizing pain and my BP was crazy high (due to pain). Eventually I went to the ER. The ER doctor prescribed me clindamycin and gave me a dose right there. Before I was even fully discharged I could feel the infection draining. I was finally able to get some sleep (thanks to the pain pills they gave me) and woke up 2 hours later with significantly less swelling. This is my 4th day and the infection is almost all the way gone. I haven't had to take the prescription pain meds for 2 days now and can easily control the pain with OTC pain meds. It may not be for everyone but for me this medicine has been a God-send. I've experienced little to no side effects."

Soundedmind (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2018

"I was prescribed this for a tooth infection and the reviews completely freaked me out. So I did what was recommended had a pill with food and water, didn't lay down and ate some yogurt 2 hours after the pill, I was on the pill for a little over a week and have been off them for a week and didn't experience a single side effect. Just remember most people complain about the bad and don't feel the need to review if the pill works fine."

Cap July 19, 2018

"I was prescribed Clindamycin to avoid an infection on my small toe. My piece of garbage Medicare wheelchair's front wheel grabbed my little toe and almost ripped the whole nail off. there has been no infection and it is also clearing up the bronchitis I was developing. Good drug and the side effects are minor."

peggi (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2018

"I have been taking this for 4 days now and what everyone says is true - take a probiotic or suffer from severe nausea. It overall works great side effects are a bit harsh, but worth it."

IBSlord (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2018

"Had a huge bump appear on the roof of my mouth for 2 days with moderate pain coming and going. On the 3rd day it go so bad I had to leave a weekend vacation at 4 am to drive 2 hours home. The pain was unbearable and the worry from reading what idiots online saying made it even worse. Got into a dentist right away and was told it was a really bad infection and root canal was required. After the swelling went down I was prescribed clindamycin. It worked in 30-60 minutes! I took it , fell asleep for 45 mins and woke up with zero pain, I was so relieved"

Riggz July 7, 2018

"I took this drug for my wisdom tooth extraction procedure. I know this does sound off, but I am having more pain from the clindamycin than the actual procedure. By the way, if you ever have to get your wisdom teeth removed, use sedation. I made a horrible mistake of not using sedation and oh my gosh, Lidocaine is trash. It did not work at all, so my dentist had to use a different local which made my mouth stay numb for like 24rs. Anyway, back to clindamycin. Since I could not drink soda, I took down a lot of water, did not help. Then I went against medical advice, drank a can of Coca Cola and did not help. The best thing you can do is wait out the pain."

John (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2018

"I had a wisdom tooth pulled at the end of February. The dentist gave me amoxocilin for 2 weeks, it did nothing. Plus, the dentist acted like he was money grubber dummy and didn't explain nothing, I also explained to him it was infected but he pulled any way. When he shouldn't have. 2 weeks later I was at the ER and the doc. Prescribed keflex 3 times a day for 2 weeks, it did nothing. So I went to my regular Doc. She prescribed bacterium, we'll 3 weeks later the infection it there. So I called her and had her call me in cleocin 300mg 4 times a day. I'm on my 3rd day and it already feels as if the infection is going down, I feel a pulling sensation where the infection is. So I do think this works great. Also my husband had a infection under a tooth and was hospitalized for 3 days and was on iv drip of cleocin, once he was released he took it for a week. His face was so swollen it looked like a basket ball on the left side of his face."

Ash (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2018

"I was prescribed this for an abscess in my wisdom tooth, before it can be removed. I have been told 600mg 3x a day and I'm barely keeping 2 a day down. Since my first dose I've had diarrhoea and just dread taking the next dose!! I know I'm allergic to penicillin that's why I'm told to take this. I don't know whether I'm doing more harm than good but the thought of taking another dose is too scary. I'm taking probiotics and I did take take the antibiotics after meals but maybe not enough water. I don't know what to do."

Leena (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2018

"I have been on an every six hour dosage. I have an tooth/gum infection. I have skipped meals and snacks when taking this medicine. I have taken a probiotic yogurt with it every morning and have had no negative side effects. The only downside is I have taken it four days and have noticed minor results."

DB (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2018

"Prescribed Clindamycin because they want to extract my wisdom teeth and couldn't while I had an infection. Having abscess drainage in the bottom two. Complained of having burning gums while eating and brushing. First day went fine. No side effects. Messed up around my last dosage yesterday because I forgot the pills at work, meaning I couldn't take my third dosage. I take 1 this morning, and almost within 2 mins time I start feeling a "rising" burn in my lower throat to upper chest area. It eventually spreads to where I am now, my whole chest feeling inflamed and my throat feeling as though it's preparing for vomit. I keep burping and it tastes like throw up. Pain and discomfort in my chest is severe. I think this is either on the fact that I missed a dose, eat enough, or both. I eat light so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the issue. This morning I had a Lunchable (yes I know) for breakfast and THEN took the medication. Pain ensued quickly. Have been feeling this for almost an hour. I don't know what to do. I might throw up."

Tobi May 24, 2018

"I went to dentist had a left molar removed. My dentist is an idiot. I see a new dentist next week. I told the dentist after he pulled the tooth about nasty taste and that I had boils from abscess. After he said what I was describing didn't sound like abscess 8 days later could barely open mouth nasty taste lymph nodes like rocks along outer left jaw an under neck. I went to minute clinic. I also had pain in left ear and jaw bone pain was given clindymycin 300mg 3x day 8 days, it was a miracle that I had no side effects. It took about 3 days for pain to go away by 4th day could eat solid food again. I could of died because my dentist acts like antibiotics are smack. Only one time when I went to bed 10 minutes after taking it did I have heartburn got back up drank iced tea heartburn went away quick. No other side effects this was a miracle drug for me ."

Mike (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2018

"I just happened to come across this thread. Back in 2014 after a missed miscarriage and serious hemorrhage, 5 surgical procedures I became extra weak and fevered and had so much pain. I could not eat or anything...I was 100% sure I was going to die. The doctors couldn't figure it out. Upon returning for my 5th surgical procedure I informed the doctor performing the procedure how I felt and what was going on. He automatically insisted a serious infection in my reproductive organs following all the chaos and wrote me a prescription for 2 weeks of clindamycin 4 times a day. I was horrified as was already half dead and had read all reviews on how deadly this drug was. I began the meds and mark my words it was a wild ride and I thought more than once about stopping but didn't. I was dizzy, had muscle pains and chest aches and was even weaker...I dry heaved and puked and guess what? I'm ALIVE right now because of CLINDAMYCIN. I owe everything to that doctor and that medication."

Sam (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2018

"I went to the oral surgeon for what I thought was a consult for my wisdom teeth extraction. He told me that my one wisdom tooth that came in already was fine. The other wisdom tooth hasn’t come in yet (knock on wood). He told me that I have an infection in my gums and prescribed me clindamycin. The first 3 days I felt fine, but today, my 4th day taking it, I had this really strong bitter metallic taste in my mouth, my left side of my face is throbbing with pain, I felt so fatigued and drowsy that I thought I was going to fall over when I went to stand up. I have this pain in my throat, I literally feel like I have some flu mixed with getting punched in the face. I took it with food, and plenty of water and stood up for about 15 minutes after taking it. I have an appointment with the dentist tomorrow so I’m skipping my next 2 doses and seeing if there’s anything else that could help. Do not keep taking it because it will only get so much worse. Good luck."

Desire May 8, 2018

"Only took this for one day before I called the doctor and switched to a different antibiotic. It was planned for me to take it every 8 hours for 10 days. Just felt very weak/tired - "sensitive" overall. It wouldn't have been a huge issue, but I have finals coming up so I can't academically afford to constantly feel like sludge right now. Can't really comment on its effectiveness as the infection I'm treating isn't bothering me enough to tell. I wouldn't say it's a bad drug, but definitely be mindful of your body when taking it. Make sure to eat before taking each dose, drink plenty of water, and don't lie down for ~10 minutes."

Kristin May 6, 2018

"My doctor prescribed 300 mg every 8 hours for 20 days. He specified every 8 hours, not three times a day, to help avoid diarrhea. I did that and took a probiotic every day. I had a little heartburn a couple of times but that was it."

BarbAN (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2018

"Towards the end of my medication cycle, and just now piecing together some unpleasant symptoms I've been experiencing. Tonight had sensation of rapid pulse, horrible heart burn/acid reflux feel, and vomiting, about an hour after I took meds (had eaten small snack and a bottle and a half of water). My stomach has been churning throughout the use of this med. I am getting over an infection in my gum for a tooth procedure, and have to take clindamycin due to allergies to penicillin. I recommend taking probiotics and eating a FULL meal of food with each dose. Mention your symptoms to your doc/dentist, as I will be tomorrow."

jcd April 16, 2018

"I've got this tooth that has been bothering me so my dentist gave me this and said it's standard to prescribe this for an infected tooth. I've never taken it before so I had no clue what I was in for. I am sometimes sensitive to side effects, but this was textbook. I got nauseous then my chest began to burn. After I stopped throwing up, I couldn't stay off the toilet. My throat is still burning and it's been hours. I only took one dose, but I will never take this again."

Dana (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2018

"Real world experience: this is a great antibiotic if you are allergic to penicillin. I gave this an 8 because no medication is perfect. Some real simple, easy to follow instructions to help lessen any side effects. 1. take with plenty of water, 16oz minimum. 2. if you get an upset stomach, take your next doses with a meal or snack ( I've taken it with food to ensure with no issues). 4. do NOT lay down after taking clindamycin wait at least an hour or more. 4. ties into #3. schedule your doses accordingly and do NOT miss a dose. 5. the most common dose is a 300mg pink capsule, if have trouble swallowing big pills, try asking for 2x 150mg capsules instead of the 300mg capsule(the pink capsule is a bit of a "horse pill" even though its a gel cap). all in all, any real side effects are stomach related (gas, loose stools and heartburn). if those side effects are to intense for you, please ask your doc for another antibiotic ASAP. hope this helps"

louie April 15, 2018