User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Clindamycin Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 853 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Bacterial Infection

"I went to dentist had a left molar removed. My dentist is an idiot. I see a new dentist next week. I told the dentist after he pulled the tooth about nasty taste and that I had boils from abscess. After he said what I was describing didn't sound like abscess 8 days later could barely open mouth nasty taste lymph nodes like rocks along outer left jaw an under neck. I went to minute clinic. I also had pain in left ear and jaw bone pain was given clindymycin 300mg 3x day 8 days, it was a miracle that I had no side effects. It took about 3 days for pain to go away by 4th day could eat solid food again. I could of died because my dentist acts like antibiotics are smack. Only one time when I went to bed 10 minutes after taking it did I have heartburn got back up drank iced tea heartburn went away quick. No other side effects this was a miracle drug for me ."

Mike (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2018

"I just happened to come across this thread. Back in 2014 after a missed miscarriage and serious hemorrhage, 5 surgical procedures I became extra weak and fevered and had so much pain. I could not eat or anything...I was 100% sure I was going to die. The doctors couldn't figure it out. Upon returning for my 5th surgical procedure I informed the doctor performing the procedure how I felt and what was going on. He automatically insisted a serious infection in my reproductive organs following all the chaos and wrote me a prescription for 2 weeks of clindamycin 4 times a day. I was horrified as was already half dead and had read all reviews on how deadly this drug was. I began the meds and mark my words it was a wild ride and I thought more than once about stopping but didn't. I was dizzy, had muscle pains and chest aches and was even weaker...I dry heaved and puked and guess what? I'm ALIVE right now because of CLINDAMYCIN. I owe everything to that doctor and that medication."

Sam (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2018

"I went to the oral surgeon for what I thought was a consult for my wisdom teeth extraction. He told me that my one wisdom tooth that came in already was fine. The other wisdom tooth hasn’t come in yet (knock on wood). He told me that I have an infection in my gums and prescribed me clindamycin. The first 3 days I felt fine, but today, my 4th day taking it, I had this really strong bitter metallic taste in my mouth, my left side of my face is throbbing with pain, I felt so fatigued and drowsy that I thought I was going to fall over when I went to stand up. I have this pain in my throat, I literally feel like I have some flu mixed with getting punched in the face. I took it with food, and plenty of water and stood up for about 15 minutes after taking it. I have an appointment with the dentist tomorrow so I’m skipping my next 2 doses and seeing if there’s anything else that could help. Do not keep taking it because it will only get so much worse. Good luck."

Desire May 8, 2018

"Only took this for one day before I called the doctor and switched to a different antibiotic. It was planned for me to take it every 8 hours for 10 days. Just felt very weak/tired - "sensitive" overall. It wouldn't have been a huge issue, but I have finals coming up so I can't academically afford to constantly feel like sludge right now. Can't really comment on its effectiveness as the infection I'm treating isn't bothering me enough to tell. I wouldn't say it's a bad drug, but definitely be mindful of your body when taking it. Make sure to eat before taking each dose, drink plenty of water, and don't lie down for ~10 minutes."

Kristin May 6, 2018

"My doctor prescribed 300 mg every 8 hours for 20 days. He specified every 8 hours, not three times a day, to help avoid diarrhea. I did that and took a probiotic every day. I had a little heartburn a couple of times but that was it."

BarbAN (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2018

"Towards the end of my medication cycle, and just now piecing together some unpleasant symptoms I've been experiencing. Tonight had sensation of rapid pulse, horrible heart burn/acid reflux feel, and vomiting, about an hour after I took meds (had eaten small snack and a bottle and a half of water). My stomach has been churning throughout the use of this med. I am getting over an infection in my gum for a tooth procedure, and have to take clindamycin due to allergies to penicillin. I recommend taking probiotics and eating a FULL meal of food with each dose. Mention your symptoms to your doc/dentist, as I will be tomorrow."

jcd April 16, 2018

"I've got this tooth that has been bothering me so my dentist gave me this and said it's standard to prescribe this for an infected tooth. I've never taken it before so I had no clue what I was in for. I am sometimes sensitive to side effects, but this was textbook. I got nauseous then my chest began to burn. After I stopped throwing up, I couldn't stay off the toilet. My throat is still burning and it's been hours. I only took one dose, but I will never take this again."

Dana (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2018

"Real world experience: this is a great antibiotic if you are allergic to penicillin. I gave this an 8 because no medication is perfect. Some real simple, easy to follow instructions to help lessen any side effects. 1. take with plenty of water, 16oz minimum. 2. if you get an upset stomach, take your next doses with a meal or snack ( I've taken it with food to ensure with no issues). 4. do NOT lay down after taking clindamycin wait at least an hour or more. 4. ties into #3. schedule your doses accordingly and do NOT miss a dose. 5. the most common dose is a 300mg pink capsule, if have trouble swallowing big pills, try asking for 2x 150mg capsules instead of the 300mg capsule(the pink capsule is a bit of a "horse pill" even though its a gel cap). all in all, any real side effects are stomach related (gas, loose stools and heartburn). if those side effects are to intense for you, please ask your doc for another antibiotic ASAP. hope this helps"

louie April 15, 2018

"On my 3rd day of clindamycin after a sudden tooth infection and now a retreat root canal. Pain was gone after 2nd dose so that is great"

Beth (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2018

"This stuff is horrible took it one day for my tooth infection An immediately felt worse than I did before. I woke up the following day, feeling like I was drunk. It had made me so sick to my stomach and I was seeing double. The worst part is. The constant sensation like you have a fire in your stomach. Idk who made this medication but I really think it should be taken off the market. Seems to be doing more harm than healing..How am I supposed to take something thats hard to keep down. Thanks pharma taking my money and feeding me some kinda nonesense!"

Anonymous April 11, 2018

"Been on this antibiotic now for 2 days for a tooth infection. 4 x 300mg per day. The infection is already much better, but took one this morning at 6 and had immediate severe pain in my chest which I believe is an issue with my esophagus as a result of the drug. Very painful to swallow, and slightly dizzy during the day. Rather surprised because I don't usually feel ill or suffer side effects. Dreading taking the next one. Will definitely be eating before I take it."

APH (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2018

"Is a good infection fighter..but swear it makes your heart pound"

Edubb April 1, 2018

"I love Clindamycin, This is the only antibiotic that will cure my strep throat. Right now I'm taking it for a bad abscess in my tooth. I have no problem with this medication because I always eat before I take it! It is a very strong antibiotic so please eat before u take!"

Jenrs037 (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2018

"Feel so light headed, drained and dehydrated after taking 1 pill (several hours after taking the pill). I'm supposed to take another tonight (I'm prescribed 300mg every 12 hours, so that's 2 a day), but after feeling like this, I'm not sure if I'm going to take another one. I'm on these because penicillin wasn't doing anything for my tooth abscess. I took with food and plenty of water, and asked beforehand if it was safe to take with my blood pressure meds, and they said it was fine, so I don't know...."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2018

"Took this medicine for a Tooth Infection I got this prescribed by my dentist finally and admittedly it did get rid of the tooth infection, but it caused way more problems. I ended up with my jaw, lymph node, and cheek getting incredibly swollen even though the infection had left. Which made me confused, pain killer didn't really help the swelling. While taking it not only did I have this Nausea, Dizziness, Heartburn, Sore Throat, Chest Pain, Stiff neck, pain in my shoulders, (after 2 days in), Diarrhea (after 5 days in), swelling which I later discovered is/was caused by this antibiotic. After stopping it 2 days ago, It also gave me white tongue, I have little bumps/sores on the inside of my mouth on my upper lip, dry mouth my mouth is really scaly feeling inside and the corner of my mouth on the left side is numb in feeling/tingly still. So, please, don't take this under any circumstance other than if you're dying or it's literally your only choice. I had a 150mg 2 a day as written"

Meele (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

"Clindamycin is a very relevant drug as are its side effects. Knowing the side effects and how to combat them helps. Clindamycin is a strong antibiotic in relation to what dentists usually prescribe. It is usually given to eliminate infection fast. If you don't feel this is the case, ASK your dentist. Other options: penicillin, amoxicillin & augmentin. Eating before antibiotics is far better than trying to eat something after you feel awful. I can't preach probiotics enough & live culture yogurt, especially for women. Heartburn can be rough once its set in. Taking Prilosec ahead and combating residual with a fast acting OTC antacid is usually best. Remember, just because your doctor prescribed this doesn't mean they know all of its side effects. That's not their job, its the pharmacist's. So educate, ask questions and don't be afraid to ask for something different. If your dentist feels Clindamycin, or any other drug, is the only viable option they will tell you and why."

Gretchen March 12, 2018

"Sitting here reading these comments while having SEVERE chest, back and head pain after taking this medication following a root canal. I ate a full meal but the pain started within five minutes of swallowing the pill. I clearly won’t be finishing the cycle and would not recommend anyone to take it."

Melanie (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2018

"When you take this antibiotic, please make sure there is FOOD in YOUR STOMACH to cushion the effects of this drug. If not, you'll be heaving all day! Drink plenty of fluids, probiotics (take in between taking antibiotic) and supplements. I'm writing b/c there are some of you who are not eating, and I'm saying, EAT and drink plenty. Drinking almond or coconut milk helps and eat high healthy fat such as avocado when to take the capsule. It helps the stomach. I can't speak for some of the other side effects, each reacts differently. But do challenge your dentist if in fact you have to take 300mg 4x/day b/c that's way too much! I did and my Dr. reduced it!! TG!"

Victoria March 1, 2018

"I’m fearing reading all these comments regarding the meds. The reason why everyone is having all this pain is because pharmacists don’t do a thorough job in telling you how to take this. On the label it says you can take this with or without food. But clearly you need to take it with food. Doc that prescribed it specifically told me to make sure I take some probiotics while taking this Med. But pharmacist failed to mention that. It’s like they want you to experience more pain so you can come running back for more meds."

MariTa (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2018

"I was prescribed these pills to get rid of an infection before having a root canal done. In the 7 days of taking them I had some diarrhea but not alarming. When they did root canal they said they can't finish today because there is still some infection in the tooth. Not what I wanted to hear. Now, 2 days after the last dose and the procedure, I'm vomiting and dry heaving without end! This is awful!! And I can't sleep. It's definitely going on the criminal list for me. I'll have the tooth pulled before taking this again."

Aunt Mary (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2018

"It caused chest pain after one day of taken it, I had to stop taking it."

Georgia (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2018

"I just took this medication for a really bad bacterial toothache infection waiting to see what happens"

joe (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2018

"Got rid of my tooth infection prior to root canal in about a week from starting treatment. Gave me horrific gas, stomach pain, and acid reflux that is continuing to plague me a week after ceasing this treatment. I have never had bad acid reflux like this. It is destroying my quality of sleep and life. Coughing, sore throat, waking up writhing in pain in the middle of the night, and constant burning. Sure the infected tooth was worse, but this medication is not far behind."

BurningMannnn February 18, 2018

"I had 4 days of IV clinda in the hospital and it did help my infection improve however it caused me to vomit non stop for 3 days and couldn't keep any food down at all not even liquids so I had to have IV glucose and salts. I got switched to augmenten which I have come home on but since the last 2 days of the clinda I have had diarrhoea very badly with stomach pain and continued nausea. I also developed a rash over my chest, neck and face for a day which subsided after the last dose. Overall this drug works but has some pretty uncomfortable side effects."

Tor1234 February 17, 2018

"I just came back from my primary Care, told her I had oral surgery Six days ago. I was given clindamycin, 300 mg twice a day. Could not stop throwing up for two days, lost my appetite, after one or two bites of anything I had the dry heaves. She asked me if I brought the bottle with me, The answer was yes, I gave her them, which she in turn threw in her bucket Now on three different medications to get my stomach back to normal. Clindamycin on my chart not able to tolerate. If you have to take it, eat, eat, eat, before you take it. Me I had about twenty five stitches in my mouth, told no solid food, just soup."

toothless. (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2018