User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Clindamycin Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 871 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Bacterial Infection

"I'm on 4 pill per day every 6 hours for 10 days for a really bad gum abcess. On day 5 right now and there is a HUGE difference it's almost gone very small BUT my throat hurts incredibly bad (feels like it did when I had strep ) and my head aches all day as well as some pretty bad vertigo. Trying to push through the rest to get rid of this abcess but I have flu like symptoms besides nausea. Worked a lot better than when I tried penicillin for it but I'm paying for it with the side effects."

Chelsey401 July 21, 2016

"Due to an infected tooth, I was given penicillin which didn't work at all. I was then given clindamycin which has left me with such a severe sore throat that keeps me up all night in agonizing pain. Swallowing has me wanting to jump out the window in pain"

Inpainstill (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2016

"Infected tooth dentist gave me this to help the infection. First pill no side affects 2nd pill had me in tears. I felt like my face was going to explode. My sinus cavities were so full of pressure and pain in every direction.. above my eyes below my cheek bones my jaw bones behind my ears even motrin didnt take the pain away... i called my primary care dr. They say ita normal okay ita normal to be in so much pain and feel like your face is going to explode... so i reluctantly took the 3rd pill and i juat cant take anymore same issue pain and the sad fact my tooth pain is gone but my face is hurting so bad im allergic to penicillin so thia was my only alternative"

Mammens10 (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2016

"I had penicillin-resistant tonsillitis. A week of amoxicillin had no effect, and I'd had the infection for 3 weeks. It wasn't too severe, but it was steadily getting worse, and I was in no rush to have body parts cut out of my mouth in order to get rid of the infection. An ENT prescribed clindamycin and an anti-inflammatory, and within a single day I visibly saw the infection peeling away from my tonsils (yeah, it was gross, but in a good way)., and all the discomfort was gone. I had no side effects, and haven't yet seen any antibiotics-caused diseases. Maybe it's just a single anecdote, but so are all the other reviews on here. Thought I'd throw in a positive experience."

glester491 July 1, 2016

"Severe headach .. Feel like voming ... Severe Diarrhea ...، I stopped it second day .. Was 300mg x2 ... I prefer to have my tooth inductions than having all that side effects.. My bowl was jumping all the day ... I think more researches should be done on it .. Its so dangerous"

Najmi (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2016

"OMG- Dentist gave me for bacterial infection in mouth before oral surgery. I was taking 300mg 4 times a day for 10 days. On the 5th day I became so sick with violent diarrhea and extreme naseua i had to get off. I continued to day 7 at least and told them I could no longer or would no longer take them as I felt like I was going to die. I did my research after and the horror stories for most people that have taken them should have been an alarm to me. I haven't been on antibiotics for years and years and believe in healing holistically and naturally but felt this was an exception to the rule. Trying to step up eradicating infection with even more natural things but don't know since I have been on those dreadful antibiotics."

no name 123 (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016

"I'm taking this for strep throat 10 days 3x a dayat first it worked fine felt like it was helping now I'm almost done and these last few days have been awful I have bad heartburn it hurts from my stomach to my throat it burns my stomach hurts to move feels like bad gas and I'm throat hurts to swallow anything it's hard to drink"

Kisha_32 June 22, 2016

"I took this for 10 days for a staph infection on my skin. No side effects that I can remember, BUT IT GAVE ME A C. DIFF INFECTION. DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION WITHOUT PROBIOTICS. Clindamycin has ruined my life. Avoid it at all costs if you don't need it. Extremely dangerous."

smobo (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2016

"I debated whether or not to take this drug because of the warning of potential c-diff infection. I had a root canal on a molar that left me in pain with swelling and numbness of my lip and chin. My Endodontist suspected infection so she prescribed penicillin. After a week of taking it there was no change so she prescribed Clindamyacin. I have been taking 300 mg. 3 times a day for 7 days now and thank God the worst side effect is fatigue and my stomach hurts.... almost like a "raw" kind of feeling. No diarreah, or nausea ! It seems to have taken the swelling down so hopefully the infection is on its way out. I will say that I have been diligent in taking 2 probiotics a day and I drink 8oz. of water with every dose!"

Anonymous May 30, 2016

"After less than a week in this medication, my infection greatly improved BUT then I woke on evening with chest pain so bad that I went to the emergency room certain I was having a heart attack!! Never, ever, again will I take this antibiotic."

Dee54 May 30, 2016

"I've been taking clindamycin 300 mg 3 times a day for 6 days now it was prescribed to me because I had a tooth pulled and ended up getting infected.after taking it for 2 days the swelling in my face went down and finally on day six I have no pain I have however experience some cramping in my stomach very little nothing that interrupts my daily routine and have had some nausea but doesn't last long and nothing I can't handle.other than this I've been good with it BUT.....this is only day 6 so I'll see how I feel once I've finished all the antibiotics.."

Bjp123 (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

"I knew the side-effects of this medication and the potential for stomach issues, but I was diagnosed with cellulitis in one of my eyes and did not want to end up with meningitis. The first few days were rough with a lot of heartburn and diarrhea, but as so many other people have mentioned, this can be managed by taking it after or with a meal, eating foods that are not acidic and drinking a lot of water. The good news is that only after 4 hours and the first dose, the swelling started to disappear. It sucks to take it, but it works."

chershow (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

"I ended up with C-DIFF after two weeks on Clindamycin prescribed by dentist for an "infection" that didn't even hurt! Then an additional 10 days on penicillin following oral surgery of two molars. Have NEVER been that sick in my life. Ended up in the hospital. Thought I would die and could have! Talk to any gastroenterologist and they'll tell you dentists should NOT be prescribing clindamycin any more. There are far safer alternatives. I was concerned about too long a stretch of antibiotics, as a normally healthy person, but they BOTH insisted I take it! Don't EVER take clindamycin! The medication to correct it cost $700 plus hospital costs."

Tater123 May 13, 2016

"I'm extremely sensitive to all types of antibiotics -- penicillin, amoxicillin, sulfur drugs, cephalosporins, Zithromax. I can't even take most OTC drugs. Unfortunately, I came down with strep throat, and had to see a doctor. Thankfully, I have an amazing doctor who found me something that worked. Here are two tips that you HAVE to follow when taking this medication even if you are NOT generally sensitive to antibiotics. 1) Take it right after you eat a meal if it says with food. Every. Single. Time. No exceptions. 2) Drink AT LEAST 16 oz of water with it. My doctor put me on the lowest dose, 150 mg, three times a day for ten days. It worked beautifully. No headaches, puking, joint pain, dizziness, or rash."

KDMay (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016

"The heart burn is as bad like When I was pregnante seven years ago it kept me up last night and still has today"

Mrs Hislop (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2016

Cleocin HCl (clindamycin): "This is my 2nd time using Cleocin HCl, this time for a dental abscess (300mg every 6 hrs). Today is day 3 of a 7-day course, set by the ER Dr. The swelling of my gumline, lip, and cheek has all but disappeared (just a tiny bump on the gumline left). The pain too is almost nonexistent, unless of course I bite down hard on the tooth that needs extraction. Side effects are slight nausea and heartburn if taken without 8oz of water or lying down soon after taking a dose."

Java~Grandma (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016

"I am taking clindamycin for a tooth abscess. I take 300 mg every six hours for 15 days. When I first started the antibiotic, my left sinus and eye area were very swollen. Two doses of the clindamycin took away all the swelling and helped with the pain. I am on day 7 of taking it. I am pleased with it because it definitely seems to be getting rid of the infection. I got a few manageable side effects - tiredness, thirst, and a metallic chemical taste in my mouth. Just a little diarrhea too, but many antibiotics do that. Drinking a lot of water and taking a daily probiotic really helps lessen these side effects. Always take the medicine with a full glass of water and food, even if it is just a piece of bread."

Michiganmom90 April 15, 2016

"Side effects were severe vomiting, severe watery diarrhea, fever, severe pain taking a bowel movement. I had to be hospitalized and treated with morphine and other anti bionics also severe urinary infection from the very beginning. I have never had these systems from other antibiotics. I had a tooth abscess and they tried to pull my teeth went to a different dentist said I didn't have a cavity this stuff should be taken off the market. at 65 years of age I have never been this sick. I vomited so bad that I became dehydrated no matter how much water it drank it did not help. I had diarrhea so bad that I couldn't stop going my stomach hurt so bad I was crying. I was given no literature from the dentist or the pharmacy. they had the nerve to send me a bill"

phil pots April 15, 2016

"I started Clindamycin on March 25 for sinus infection - 150 mg, 3x a day for 21 days. This is the first time I have taken this medication. This past Friday, I thought I was having a heart attack. I knew it was this medicine giving me awful heartburn/chest pain because I could 'taste' the medicine. The heartburn and awful taste are almost unbearable. I will try drinking more water and do probiotics/yogurt. I am thankful that, so far, I have not had any upset stomach or diarrhea. Thanks for the tips."

Tiddly (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2016

"I have experienced severe diarrhea. I have also experienced headaches. I hated this antibiotic"

Danielle Stromsness (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2016

"given Clindamycin after infected tooth pulled. on day 5 of 7 ,300 mg every 8 hours. I have IBS and diverticulosis anyway, but do seem to be having more diarrhea. last night I thought I was going to die, not really , but I almost wished I would. First of all my whole digestive track felt very irritated.. my jaw, ear , throat and whole right side of my face was hurting worse than it did before. managed to sleep for awhile but awoke with that side of my face feeling like it was on fire. No fever though. I put an ice pack on it .I felt fine this morning. To me it seemed like all the infection came to a head and must have drained or something . IF ANYONE HAS BAD DIARRHEA DON'T FOOL AROUND SEE DR ASAP it could be C DIF and can be fatal !"

B IN SC (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2016

"I have been on this medication since last night I had to be rushed to the ER due to a painful cyst near my breast, I found out after being examined that I have tonsillitis and was prescribed this medication to clear the infection. I was also told it would help with my cyst located near my breast which it did, but I'd advise you if you take this medication drink lots of water and do not lay down 10 minutes after taking your dosage. My throat feels drastically better and my cyst was able to open on it's own after a few hot compresses."

Sara G. (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

"I was given clindomycin following an emergency tooth removal because I had some infection. I went back a week later and everything healed up just fine, no sign of infection. Only problem I had was a bit of diarhhea, but nothing severe. All in all a good medication."

suzieqq March 13, 2016

"I have an infection in a broken tooth doctor prescribed me this 3 times a day about 30 min after taking 1 I am experiencing the worst pain I have ever felt in my life I'm assuming it's cause it's helping the infection but not even pain killers help the pain I have taken about 8-10 vico din and still it's the worst feeling I have ever felt I won of rather got it pulled without any numing shots this is hell it literally feels like there is a knife stuck in my jaw"

knife in my jaw (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016

"4th time on clindmycin. Twice for tooth infections. Second time now in a month for strep throat. 3 pills at a time 4x a day for 10 days=120 pills. I find it works but must be taken with lots of water and after you eat! And don't lie down for 10-15 minutes after taking it or you'll get horrible heart burn that goes from your chest up into your throat"

Sjmcgee March 1, 2016