User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Clindamycin Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 888 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Bacterial Infection

"I was given 300mg to take 3x a day for 7 days for an abscess. Dentist & pharmacist warned of nasty side effects. Enclosed papers with instructions and warnings were scary and only recommend taking with food, water and avoid laying for 10 minutes after taking. I looked online to see if taking probiotics would help prevent colitis. Found these rating and was even further scared. I noticed everyone who gave positive reviews mentioned probiotics, yogurts, and staying upright for at least 30 minutes. So that is what I did. No side effects what so ever. No heartburn, diarrhea (I actually became constipated), or belly pain. I took a Probiotic with 10 billion strains 1x a day and ate a 0% Activia yogurt at every dose. Pain gone by day 3."

mishni March 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Would never recommend this antibiotic! I was prescribed 7 days 3 times a day today take this med so I did, I have a very bad stomach to start with. I was able to do my first 7 days without a problem, then after my seven days I started to have really bad diarrhea and I rarely have this. It has lasted now for like two weeks. Now I had to restart another dosage of clindamycin for another 7 days but I saw that they were not the same colour as the other ones I had taken I don't know why but anyways I started them yesterday and I've never felt sicker! My stomach was very upset, diarrhea, nausea, chills, fever, dizziness and my throat is hurting. I not one to complain usually but after this I immediately stopped the medication! Never again"

Mimi25 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Currently on this med, 300mg 3x daily. I don't know where all these negative reviews are coming from, perhaps there is a small population that experience bad side effects. I have been on this med for 4 days now(for strep) and have used this med in the past and I have zero problems with it. Barely been eating, drinking yet I have no issues with stomach. Maybe it's because I am young? Just after day 2 my throat completely stopped hurting, I was shocked after how much it hurt the day before. Still covered in spots but I know it's working, as I am only halfway through taking it. Everyone is different, this will work for some while others not so much. Same with side effects"

Anonymousx3000 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Taking Clindamycin 300mg three times a day for 3 weeks due to Cellulitis. I'm about to end my third week and for the past 4-5 days I've had horrible heartburn, feels like something is stuck in your throat and horrible acid feeling in my stomach. The medication has worked wonderfully. I just hate these side effects. The Dr recommended I ate before taking it to prevent these side effects but even though I eat and take the pill afterward I still feel the heartburn starting in a matter of minutes right after taking the pills. If you're on this get something strong for these effects cause they are a nightmare."

Shukis.sg (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Y'all are all such babies to be adults I mean really. The side effects suck but when it comes to actually doing what its prescribed it does a great job. Suck it up people."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"To those who are saying the negative symptoms will not be experienced if you follow instructions, screw you. I'm on this for an infected cat bite. I'm pregnant, it's the only safe antibiotic for me apparently. I am taking these as prescribed by doctor and pharmacist with lots of water and food. The heart burn and stomach cramps/diarrhea are hell. And guess what!? On the package it describes these as known symptoms to the medication. I hate what I am going through. So far I have found no relief and want nothing more than to stop taking them. I will be following up with my doctor. To those who are lucky enough to not experience the symptoms/side effects? Good on you! others aren't as lucky."

Heartburn haven March 5, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Horrible! Do not take! I had it for my tooth infection and Initially, everything was fine for 4 days of taking 150mg 3 times a day. On the 5th day I suffered delirium, rash, white tongue, dry mouth, an extreme ill feeling, chills, nausea, and had a huge pain in my stomach area. I quit taking it, and 3 days later I still have the white tongue (thrush) and nausea . I did not have the diarrhea because I ate yogurt while on this killer antibiotic. Yogurt is a probiotic, and if you choose to take Clindamycin, PLEASE EAT yogurt so you don't get diarrhea!"

sal15 March 4, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was perscribed this medication for a tooth infection and upon reading reviews I was TERRIFIED of it. So many negatives! I went ahead and took the advice of those who gave it higher ratings. I am on four 300mg doses everyday, so I take a pill at noon, 6pm, midnight, and 6am. I take it with 20 ounces of water and a small snack or near a meal. Afterwards I make sure to sit up or sleep a little elevated for at least the next 30 minutes. I also am taking a probiotic everyday to counter act against all the "good" bacteria this medication is also killing off. So far I've had ZERO side effects, my tooth pain has gone away and gums no longer swollen. I still have a couple days left but I am assuming it'll be the same."

Bsmith33 (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This drug need to be taken out of the market!!! Why ? 1. Kills all your good bacteria. Doctor's don't inform you this and try to give you a diet where you gain back your good bacteria. 2. Yellow tongue - kills all good bacteria. 3. Like other user stated. You feel like something stock in your throat. ASK YOUR DOCTOR HOW TO HELP YOUR BODY GET YOUR GOOD BACTERIA."

Alantx March 3, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"TRUST ME: While you're waiting for your script to be filled, walk on over to the vitamin aisle & grab a bottle of good old Acidophilus. Whichever brand has the highest 'count' (1 Billion, 1 Million, etc.). It may pricey but believe me, it's worth it. This will counteract & help gastrointestinal upset & possible yeast infection. Antibiotics rid the body of bad bacteria but also the good which is why we have side effects. Take it with any antibiotic! Plus, it won't go wasted! This is a beneficial probiotic for afflictions you may not think of i.e. gas, IBS, skin issues & you can't take too much. Take it daily- even after finishing any antibiotic."

Bad teeth (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 2, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Just started taking this medication after a dental gum graft. I drank PLENTY of water as directed. Felt as if my life was ending with the severe heart burn I experienced. I guess this is something we need to endure if we don't wont a massive infection in our bodies ... This just doesn't seem right ?!?!?!?!"

Meeeeeshelle February 28, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was prescribed cleocin (clindamycin) for an infected tooth. I have never had this antibiotic before, called the pharmacist and was told to drink a lot of water because it has a tendency to cause diarrhea. Well I stayed on it for five days while enduring terrible stomach cramps and uncontrollable diarrhea until I came to my senses. I called the dentist and switched to augmentin which did the trick. Now, ten days later, I'm still recovering from the side effects of the cleocin. I will never take this antibiotic again. There are too many alternatives to endure these reactions, let alone the fact that this drug strips your body of probiotics that affect the colon and can cause serious, and yes, even fatal consequences."

alwaysmedcheck February 24, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Just finished taking this, 300mg, three times a day for seven days. Infection cleared up and I did not experience any side effects whatsoever. I drank plenty of water while taking it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Did what it was supposed to. I went from being in the worst pain of my life to being in no pain in about 3 days. Works very well. Took it with water and probiotic yogurt as you're supposed to do and as a result I had no side effects. Pay no attention to all of the negative reviews complaining about indigestion, diarrhea and heart burn. If you take the medication properly and follow your pharmacist's orders you won't have any problems. I don't think it's smart to advise other people not to take potentially life saving medication because you weren't able to listen to instructions. Just take it with plenty of water and probiotic yogurt and you'll be just fine."

Nothing\ February 21, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Took this for a week for bacterial vaginal infection. The day after I finished clindamycin, I started to feel sick. The next day I had chills and low grade fever with stomach pains and heartburn. It is day 5 that I finished this medication and still not feeling well. I would never take this med. Plus I read there is s FDA high warning it can cause C-diff. Google it. It's very scary!!"

Mare19 February 20, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Worst heartburn I've ever had in my life and I don't get heartburn ever. Losing sleep from the pain. Thought I was going crazy and then stumbled onto this page. Exact symptoms as everyone else."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"A dentist prescribed Clindamycine, 300 mg for treating a dental infection. After taking it for 2 days, I woke up late at night with very serious burning heartburn that ran through my back. Never experienced this heartburn before in my life! Went to the hospital ER. They checked for heart issues which were none, gave me a antacid mixture which got rid of it, called it Gastritis, and sent me home. I still have heartburn pain when I drink or eat, 24 hours later. I hope it eventually goes away. Don't take a chance with this antibiotic."

VeryFineArtist February 11, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"ONLY TAKE MED IF MUST!!!! BAD side effects but it cures you, I had pain in the vaginal area and I healed within a few hours of itchy and burning, however the worst nausea and pain everywhere , WEAKNESS BAD!!!! I HAVE A movie tonight and I'm not going to not go! Oh p.s. it causes a HORRID taste in your mouth and dry mouth!"

Charlie$1993--Leo February 9, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was taking 300mg of Clindamycin 4 times a day for 7 days for a gum infection, after a day started having extremely loud intestinal rumbling, passing loud, long gas and severe diarrhea. I cannot even pass gas without having to go to the bathroom and wipe myself or even urinate without having some diarrhea. Rectal/anal area is raw and painful from the diarrhea, my skin is itchy and have this weird taste in my mouth. I've now finished the clindamycin and 4 days later, I still have the gas and loose stools. Can't wait until it's all over. It did work on my gum infection but the infection was nothing compared to the treatment."

Sheee February 9, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Does it's job but about 5 days in I'm having extreme heart burn, chest and back pain. It's really painful, worst I've ever had I thought about going to the hospital but I'm drinking some warm tea trying to take deep breaths"

Anonymous January 30, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My dentist prescribed the Clindamycine, 300 mg for treating an infection of the gum, prior root canal procedure later in one week. After taking it for 2 days, I noticed heavy rash on both legs. I immediately stop the use of the Clindamycine. I had very bad diarrhea for 3 weeks. Within 24 hours after Endodontics complete a root canal on me, I got huge swelling in the left knee. I had to go to ER due to swelling and pain. The doctor pulled 90 ml of fluid from my knee and tested for bacterial infection and got a negative result. I took Naproxine for swelling. The swelling of the left knee went down but right knee and other joints continue swelling for month. My blood was tested for RA arthritis with negative result. Not recommended it."

allavik (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My dentist put me on clindamycin after I had my wisdom teeth taken out because of the infection in my gums (and I'm allergic to penicillin). I read reviews before taking this and was terrified. I've always had a weak stomach, suffering from both IBS and acid reflux. I always made sure to drink half a bottle of water and eat part of my meal before taking this. After taking the pill, I'd drink a full bottle of water and finish my meal. Besides feeling bloated from so much water, I never had any side effects from this antibiotic. I was on 300 mg every 6 hours. No issues."

texmex92 January 15, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Effective for treating bacterial tooth/gum infection, but the side effects were significant. Ulcer-like stomach pain, gas & intestinal cramping were the most worrying. I also felt weepy and depressed for no reason while taking clindamycin (which has happened to me on other antibiotics like Cipro). I also noticed achy bone and joint pains intermittently. I just felt generally unwell while taking this medication. Use caution if you're in a hospital setting or take a proton pump inhibitor, as clindamycin is the antibiotic most likely to cause C. diff infection."

Maude Findlay (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was prescribed this for a infection on my knee and I am in a love hate relationship with this drug. Sure it did the trick (cleared it up and some of my acne as well) by the side effects were HORRIBLE. Every single night I would have a stabbing feeling in my back and chest that would last hours causing me to lose sleep... I would only recommend this if it is ABSOLUTELY necessary"

TheInfected (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I took this antibiotic for a tooth infection and it worked over all. The first day I was alright, but into the second day, I started having diarrhea. Now, almost 2 weeks later, I still have diarrhea and it's beginning to bother me because I have to go to the bathroom after I eat any little thing. I recommend any other antibiotic except clindamycin."

Disgruntled and Perturbed January 6, 2017