User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Clindamycin Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 888 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Bacterial Infection

"Took Clindamycin for 10 days for a severe parotiditis which occured after using a hot tub. Within days of finishing the dosage, I got a black and brownish thick fuzzy tongue extending to the back of my throat. This is day 25 after the start of Clindamycin and my tongue is still discolored and fuzzy but it's pretty much subsided. Also last Wednesday I developed a pleurisy in my left chest with severe pain radiating under the arm, no shortness of breath or problem with vital signs. Today, still have some pain on taking a deep breath. Also with this medicine I developed a severe diarrhea around day 8 of the dosage and that too had subsided within a week. Drug did take care of my extremely swollen parotid gland and some incidental sore joints."

uvwxyz May 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking 300mg originally after an infected tooth extraction. My 1st round w this medication was fine, no issues nor side effects. I was prescribed a large quantity so I had quite a bit left over once my infection was gone. A month later I have an upper respiratory infection or bronchitis. I can't take off work so going to the Dr for me is not an option. 2nd time I began taking this antibiotic I changed absolutely nothing in how I administered it. Within 2-3mins of taking I had the worst heartburn, stomach burning, feels like I have something lodged in between my breast in my esophagus. 7hrs in, bottle of tums, 4 cups of milk later, I'm still on fire! To tell some 1 to "suck it up" is VERY abhorrent you haven't felt these side effect"

I can take pain all day w ease May 20, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug saved my life. I had rapidly progressing facial cellulitis and had failed therapy on another antibiotic. Short of dying from it I would have nothing bad to say. Medications have side effects but they all beat death or a brain abscess. I can live with the inconvenience of sitting up a bit and some gastric distress. It is nothing compared to head, face, and sinus pain as cellulitis marches toward your brain!"

Anonymous May 20, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm experiencing almost unbearable heartburn; starting my seventh day of three times daily 300 mg of Cleocin. Heartburn started 2 days ago; this morning, REALLY bad after taking the pill. I have not ever had heartburn before - also, I eat yogurt every single day (for breakfast and one or two times more each day some days) AND I take probiotics every single day; have done this for several years now. I normally drink a lot of liquid anytime I take any medication (which, fortunately for me, is very rare), as well as on a regular basis. Please don't assume that if you do all the "right" things, you won't get the side effects of this drug or any other. This is the very first drug in my life that has given me problems; the heartburn has been incredible."

January Thaw (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have a bad bacterial infection and was prescribed clindamycin 300mg four times a day. I have taken 3 doses and after dose 2, I gained a terrible metallic taste in my mouth. Nothing tastes good. When I look this up, I only find that as a side effect for IV dosage..."

DAY 1 (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I agree with bad reviews. I followed instructions correctly. My dentist prescribed me this medication (300mg, 3 times/day) after my two wisdom teeth extraction. I was fine for 2 days. Third day I woke up in the middle of the night with a serious pain in my esophagus, chest. I felt like someone put the worst acid in my throat. It hurt that much I went to emergency room. They prescribed some pills to ease the pain but it didn't help. I'm still in pain. Do not play with this medication and choose a different one if possible."

Tijanafirst May 2, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"No side effects at all but I Still got a toothache so I made a appointment to see my dentist Wednesday the pain is unbearable and is killing me to the Max. This medicine didn't work and pain medication not working... I can't eat or sleep"

Nikki89 April 17, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had an infection deep in upper gum, 2 cycles of amoxi, lost potency so started clindamycin 300mg now I'm off to the E.R. So it's not just the clindamycin that caused this but I cannot stress enough make sure you are taking probiotics when taking antibiotics! "

near death April 14, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm taking clindamycin for tooth infection... The first day I took the pill I drunk a smoothie with it and didn't lay down for a while, I didn't have any problems at all no heart burn no irritated throat and no stomach pain... It's how you take the medicine and what you take it with..."

MsLady89 April 9, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Nightmare. 2 hours after taking it chest hurt, experienced urination retention (I had to concentrate to release pee) yikes. Could not lie back without heart feeling like it will explode. I think the medicine was trying to kill me. Throat felt weird beyond words. My uncle is a dentist and said this is one antibiotic to QUIT and NOT finish the bottle. I read about people who stuck it out and continued through the bizarre symptoms and side effects and they regretted it. Sick for months after quitting"

Root canal on vacation April 7, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Given enough Clinda for 42 doses over 14 days.....450mg per dose for question of infected vag. After 5 doses....had diarrhea, bloating, dry mouth. Stopped the med, contacted doc via email where I stated "I stopped Clinda due to side effects xyz that may lead to CDiff, need follow up visit". Saw doc In 2 days, she said culture came back negative so really didn't need antibiotic anyway. Make sure your doctor does a culture of your infection! (using swabs, syringe, tissue sample...etc.). In the Microbiology Lab, the bacteria are identified and then tested against multiple antibiotics. Your dr is given a list of all antibiotics that would work against your particular bacteria. Clinda may not be the only solution!"

Iszabella (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Dr gave me 300mg 4 times a day for what they think is infection in my foot after a drawer fell on my foot and had fluid on top of foot with swelling. After 3rd dose throat was swollen. Couldn't swallow made the left side of my chest hurt so bad it felt like a heart attack. I was itching so bad. I was so thirsty. I went to ER, Dr said he had never heard of anyone having a reaction to that med. Gave me a shot of benadryl it helped. It wore off and everything happened again. Days later my stomach is cramping. I have been drinking pedalite & Gatorade. Still feel thirsty. I am allergic to penicillin & bactrim so Dr thought this would be a good one. It is not. This is wicked stuff. NEVER EVER will I take again"

Horriblesick (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have taken Clindamycin a few times as its the only antibiotic I am not allergic to. This time I'm taking it for a recurring bladder infection 300mg every 6 hours. I have MS so discomfort in my tummy is a normal thing for me. One day in and my bladder infection is so much better. This is the absolute best antibiotic I have taken for a bladder infection. The heartburn and yuck taste in your mouth is unpleasant but temporary. You know doubt will end up with a yeast infection from this antibiotic because it kills ALL bacteria good and bad. But because it works quickly the side effects are worth it."

Mjrivard April 2, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi. I started taking clindamycin about an hour ago for a bacterial infection (upper respiratory / sinus infection). Within only several minutes my esophagus started burning and I feel like throwing up. I have only had one dose of 300mg. I was started on clindamycin because I had bad side effects (numbness and tingling in my hands) to another antibiotic (clarithromycin). Clarithromycin really helped treat the infection, but I stopped it after 3 days. I'm allergic to penicillin so that makes things harder. My doctor warned me about the harshness of clindamycin, but I thought that I'd rather have some GI issues than neuropathy as a side effect - which is still true, but I can't imagine taking even another dose as I feel so sick."

Toni44 March 25, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have been on clindamycin 7+ days (300 mg morning & night) & am doing just fine. Have another week to go. Did not know about drinking lots of water, taking with food or sitting up afterwards. Just got bad dry mouth. Was prescribed this because I am allergic to penicillin. Told if I didn't finish it all, I was in danger of sepsis. Bad tooth/jaw infection with killer pain. Felt better in 24 hours. Worked great for me. (Sorry for those of you who had terrible reactions. Hope you have gone back to your doctor since C-diff is a real possibility. I had ulcers and gastritis before and shudder when you mention the pain.)"

Californiagrits March 23, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given 300mg to take 3x a day for 7 days for an abscess. Dentist & pharmacist warned of nasty side effects. Enclosed papers with instructions and warnings were scary and only recommend taking with food, water and avoid laying for 10 minutes after taking. I looked online to see if taking probiotics would help prevent colitis. Found these rating and was even further scared. I noticed everyone who gave positive reviews mentioned probiotics, yogurts, and staying upright for at least 30 minutes. So that is what I did. No side effects what so ever. No heartburn, diarrhea (I actually became constipated), or belly pain. I took a Probiotic with 10 billion strains 1x a day and ate a 0% Activia yogurt at every dose. Pain gone by day 3."

mishni March 20, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Would never recommend this antibiotic! I was prescribed 7 days 3 times a day today take this med so I did, I have a very bad stomach to start with. I was able to do my first 7 days without a problem, then after my seven days I started to have really bad diarrhea and I rarely have this. It has lasted now for like two weeks. Now I had to restart another dosage of clindamycin for another 7 days but I saw that they were not the same colour as the other ones I had taken I don't know why but anyways I started them yesterday and I've never felt sicker! My stomach was very upset, diarrhea, nausea, chills, fever, dizziness and my throat is hurting. I not one to complain usually but after this I immediately stopped the medication! Never again"

Mimi25 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Currently on this med, 300mg 3x daily. I don't know where all these negative reviews are coming from, perhaps there is a small population that experience bad side effects. I have been on this med for 4 days now(for strep) and have used this med in the past and I have zero problems with it. Barely been eating, drinking yet I have no issues with stomach. Maybe it's because I am young? Just after day 2 my throat completely stopped hurting, I was shocked after how much it hurt the day before. Still covered in spots but I know it's working, as I am only halfway through taking it. Everyone is different, this will work for some while others not so much. Same with side effects"

Anonymousx3000 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Taking Clindamycin 300mg three times a day for 3 weeks due to Cellulitis. I'm about to end my third week and for the past 4-5 days I've had horrible heartburn, feels like something is stuck in your throat and horrible acid feeling in my stomach. The medication has worked wonderfully. I just hate these side effects. The Dr recommended I ate before taking it to prevent these side effects but even though I eat and take the pill afterward I still feel the heartburn starting in a matter of minutes right after taking the pills. If you're on this get something strong for these effects cause they are a nightmare."

Shukis.sg (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Y'all are all such babies to be adults I mean really. The side effects suck but when it comes to actually doing what its prescribed it does a great job. Suck it up people."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"To those who are saying the negative symptoms will not be experienced if you follow instructions, screw you. I'm on this for an infected cat bite. I'm pregnant, it's the only safe antibiotic for me apparently. I am taking these as prescribed by doctor and pharmacist with lots of water and food. The heart burn and stomach cramps/diarrhea are hell. And guess what!? On the package it describes these as known symptoms to the medication. I hate what I am going through. So far I have found no relief and want nothing more than to stop taking them. I will be following up with my doctor. To those who are lucky enough to not experience the symptoms/side effects? Good on you! others aren't as lucky."

Heartburn haven March 5, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Horrible! Do not take! I had it for my tooth infection and Initially, everything was fine for 4 days of taking 150mg 3 times a day. On the 5th day I suffered delirium, rash, white tongue, dry mouth, an extreme ill feeling, chills, nausea, and had a huge pain in my stomach area. I quit taking it, and 3 days later I still have the white tongue (thrush) and nausea . I did not have the diarrhea because I ate yogurt while on this killer antibiotic. Yogurt is a probiotic, and if you choose to take Clindamycin, PLEASE EAT yogurt so you don't get diarrhea!"

sal15 March 4, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was perscribed this medication for a tooth infection and upon reading reviews I was TERRIFIED of it. So many negatives! I went ahead and took the advice of those who gave it higher ratings. I am on four 300mg doses everyday, so I take a pill at noon, 6pm, midnight, and 6am. I take it with 20 ounces of water and a small snack or near a meal. Afterwards I make sure to sit up or sleep a little elevated for at least the next 30 minutes. I also am taking a probiotic everyday to counter act against all the "good" bacteria this medication is also killing off. So far I've had ZERO side effects, my tooth pain has gone away and gums no longer swollen. I still have a couple days left but I am assuming it'll be the same."

Bsmith33 (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug need to be taken out of the market!!! Why ? 1. Kills all your good bacteria. Doctor's don't inform you this and try to give you a diet where you gain back your good bacteria. 2. Yellow tongue - kills all good bacteria. 3. Like other user stated. You feel like something stock in your throat. ASK YOUR DOCTOR HOW TO HELP YOUR BODY GET YOUR GOOD BACTERIA."

Alantx March 3, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"TRUST ME: While you're waiting for your script to be filled, walk on over to the vitamin aisle & grab a bottle of good old Acidophilus. Whichever brand has the highest 'count' (1 Billion, 1 Million, etc.). It may pricey but believe me, it's worth it. This will counteract & help gastrointestinal upset & possible yeast infection. Antibiotics rid the body of bad bacteria but also the good which is why we have side effects. Take it with any antibiotic! Plus, it won't go wasted! This is a beneficial probiotic for afflictions you may not think of i.e. gas, IBS, skin issues & you can't take too much. Take it daily- even after finishing any antibiotic."

Bad teeth (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 2, 2017