User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Clindamycin Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 885 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Bacterial Infection

"Kills the infection, but the stomach cramps are horrific"

Andyman1061 September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this and within 24 hours the infection was reduced and bearable. I actually love it. I did get a little nauseous and threw up twice but it was worth it for me."

Anonymous September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed clindamycin after having all my wisdom teeth cut out so that way I didn't get an infection......shortly after finishing the antibiotic I became very ill and thought I had a stomach bug! I realized it wasn't a stomach bug when my stool was a black/red color which indicates bleeding! My doctor told me that the antibiotic had given me C-Diff (clostridium difficile)! So I've been prescribed more antibiotics to get rid of the c-diff infection, weird right? lol. Anyways, if you take clindamycin and start having symptoms of what you think is a stomach bug, please go to the doctor! C-Diff can become a severe/life threatening infection!"

sum123 (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a sinus infection that wouldn't go away with other antibiotics and I'm allergic to so many of the other strong ones that this is what I ended up being prescribed. I was worried about bad side effects because of my standing allergies, but it's really not all that bad. I started feeling better after the first day and I didn't have any side effects at first. It's day 6 of a 10 day treatment and I have a terribly sore throat but that's the only bad side effect I've noticed besides some soreness and mild nausea if I don't eat much. Note that I take a probiotic everyday, eat before each pill and drink a full bottle of water. I also don't lie down for at least 30 minutes after taking it. I'll try to stick out the full 10 days."

Starrberry (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worked excellent! Bacterial infection gone within days, swelling was down 50% within 12hrs."

Balloon_Man (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a stiff neck due to an abscess on my neck which was quite painful. My Dr recommended me Clindamycin antibiotics. Two days into the dose the antibiotics kicked in and I could see the abscess drying up and forming a scab. At the same time my skin underneath was healing. The infection cleared away after 7 days of dosage and my neck was back to normal."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a bad, bad tooth infection and needed a root canal. Dentist gave me clindomyacin ...400 mg 4 times per day for 2 weeks! Then after the root canal he wanted me to take another round of it! But the second time I took 1-2 days worth and said, "That's enough. No more. I'm rollin' the dice on this one." It tore up my stomach. It's two months later now and having to have an endoscopy to see what damage it has done. I was doing real good before taking the Clindomyacin. Never again! It's on my "do not ever take list." If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I truly would have just had the tooth pulled. My stomach has not been the same since. Also had explosive bowel problems with it, going 4-5 times per day!"

Joann Elaine (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a bad skin infection that turned into a blood infection rather quickly- while this antibiotic kicked its ass it also kicked mine. I was on 500 mg 3 times a day for about 2 weeks (starting off with IV and then when I was discharged pills) The side effects I experienced was like a living hell. I'd rather cut off my leg than take them again. Heart burn, metallic taste, my skin started peeling off on my hands, face, and legs. My eczema broke out terribly, but my acne cleared up so there's that. But the worst part was the diarrhea and nausea. I feel so faint and tired, 24/7, no appetite and my stomach feels like I have bowling balls in it. I've been vomiting almost every day along with non stop diarrhea. It works. But its HELL. even after you stop"

Ughhifeelsosick August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took 300 mg 3x day following root canal. No side effects except mild diarrhea, which went away within 3 days after stopping the meds. Cleared up the infected area nicely. Happy with results. Ate yogurt every day."

Rom234 July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took this medicine because of a tooth ache and I'm waiting for a root canal. DO NOT lay down right after you take it. I have unbelievable heartburn and indigestion...I can't even sleep. I never get this. Also take with a full meal. I took the 300mg capsule and went to bed....huge mistake. Got up had some toast and no relief at all. Tooth ache pain is gone. I'm allergic to a lot of drugs but not this one so I really have no other choice."

Wholky5 (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was just prescribed this medication a few days ago and I'm glad I read the information package before hand because there are some potentially yucky side effects to this medication. I initially had no problems with this however last night, on my 4th night of the prescription I woke out of a dead sleep with the worst chest pains I have ever had in my life. I legitimately thought I was having a heart attack it was so bad. I woke my boyfriend in a panic, it was terrifying. I have had panic attack before and I always suffer from acid re-flux but my God this was bad. I have never in my life been affected by a medication the way I was by this one. After a while it did subside but this morning I still have a dull ache in my chest/throat area."

Chest pains July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Clindamycin because of a severely painful infection that was present both before and after a root canal. I was apprehensive about taking this drug do to all of the bad reviews, however, the only side effect I experienced was the metallic taste, which honestly wasn't so bad. After what felt like childbirth pain near my root canal for two weeks that wasn't responding to other antibiotics, the pain subsided after just three days of taking this medication. If I had to take it again, I would do it in a heart beat. I took precautions when taking this medication, which is why I believe I didn't have any of the nasty side effects. While taking Clindamycin, I ate a bready substance both before and after taking each pill along water."

Elisa2738 July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken Clindamycin (150 mg) ( 4 times per day) on many occasions and I started another round today due to a tooth infection. For me, it stops the swelling and pain typically after the first dose. It does give me severe indigestion-like burning at the top of the stomach, as well as, a slight case of diarrhea after a couple of days. I have found eating yogurt helps the diarrhea. Drinking lots of water reduces the indigestion. NEVER take on an empty stomach. Soft drinks and caffeinated products are irritants, so basically drink only water while taking this product. I rarely drink alcoholic beverages, but I would recommend NOT imbibing. As for the 300mg capsules, I will never take that strength again. It made me extremely sick!"

Willyo1958 July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First off if you have difficulty swallowing capsules you will have a hard time with this medicine. I have no problem with normal coated tablets and pills but found it extremely hard to swallow due to it being in a capsule. After 3-4 days of no issues of the 300mg dose for reoccurring strep I had an awful reaction. After I struggled to get it down I quickly (5-10 minutes) started to feel a strong heart burn/acid reflux feeling in my chest. This is common for me so I just took some tums like I normally would and thought I'd be fine. After about 15-20 mins it still wasn't gone and I started to feel extremely nauseous and had to run to the bathroom and proceeded to vomit quite violently. So I stopped taking the medicine."

Yogurts (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed clindamycin after a wisdom tooth extraction and honestly I'd rather die from an infection in the stupid tooth hole than take this another day. First day I spent hours racked by the strongest fever I've ever had, chills and pain down to the bone. Next day my skin felt like a hair shirt. This has persisted for nearly a week. Everything burns and unless I knock myself out cold I wake up scratching myself all over. I can't eat, which doesn't help with the dizziness, and as someone who's been recovering from an eating disorder this really doesn't help either. The most fun of all is the fun fun neuropathy that's happening in my hands and feet. I would genuinely rather be dead than feeling this way, thx doc"

raw meat (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I saw a wonderful doctor, not a dentist, who prescribed this medication for my gum infection and warned me it was hard on my stomach so take it with food and water, he also told me to take a probiotic 2 hours after I take the medication. He warned the side effects could be c diff, so he said I must take the probiotic to put some good bacteria back into my body. I don't think it was a good idea to read all the side effects either, because now I'm scared it will happen. I have such severe allergies to everything so I hope my body doesn't reject this too. I get any side effects then I'll stop taking immediately. My mother took this drug while she was in the hospital and she got c diff, she may be a carrier now. So I have to stay away from her too."

mapine June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am not sure what the issue is with people having these crazy side effects. I know people will can have some type of side effects but, to completely bash this med is irresponsible. If side effects are happening either A. The dose is to high, I suggest talking to your doc to re adjust it (high doses of AB's aren't always a good thing) or B.take zofran along side it, this helps with the stomach issues (warning: it can cause constipation). DO NOT lay down for at least an hour after taking it, and take it with a standard 16.9 fl oz water bottle. The only con for me is the size of a 300mg capsule(if you have a phobia or issues about swallowing big pills, use the smaller 150mgx2)"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this for a bacterial infection. I developed sores and blister on the hands, burning, itching all under the skin. I stopped taking it after the 2nd dose. Its day 2 and I am developing blisters in my mouth. My eyelids are swollen and itchy and my lips look like I had botox injections. I can barely swallow."

Lydialee June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My dentist prescribed me this after he told me I had to get my wisdom teeth extracted. I had an infection because one of the teeth hadn't come though the gum all the way and there was a flap of gum over it (before the extraction). I've only been on the antibiotic for 3 days now and the side effects are worse than the problem it's supposed to be solving. My entire side of my face and throat hurt so bad it's keeping me up and night and can barely eat/drink. I feel completely nauseous and keep throwing up, which wasn't happening before I started taking it, and I'm so dizzy most of the day that I feel like I can barely get anything done. I wouldn't recommend this medication at all."

MyFaceStillHurts (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took this drug for 10 days for an infection in an incision. Two weeks to the day after stopping I got C-diff and had it for 8 months. I would never recommend this drug for anyone!"

Andrea Rose (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got bit by a catfish on the thumb trying to lip it. I got a terrible infection two days later!! I got admitted into the hospital for two days. I had IV injections every 8 hours 300mg. I got out and exactly one week later it's back. This medicine is ok but is pretty much like putting Kool aid in your veins"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just got put on clindamycin for cellulitus, and immediately when I took it, started having the worst chest pains as if I was having an anxiety attack. I thought it was my infection until the side effects of the medicine kept occuring into the next two days! I said enough was enough, I stopped taking them and went to my doctor. I couldn't sleep or lay down. Heartburn is an understatement, this antibiotic made me feel like I was dying. Never ever again will I take it, I'll go with the alternative. If anyone is freaking out about clindamycin and these side effects, I hope this helps. Stop taking them, Go see your doctor again, find an alternative. No one should have to deal with these side effects."

Joe63088 June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a sore throat that wouldn't go away. I was diagnosed with tonsillitis, then given this medication. First day was fine. Second day was fine. Third day- no sore throat- but things took a turn. My stomach was in so much pain, I was nauseous, felt like cramping, it was unbearable. I knew diarrhea was common so I figured I should just suck it up. But the stomach pains were too much! I called my doctor and they recommended I use a probiotic. So I picked up "culturelle." Within 5 minutes of taking that (about 3 hours after I took my two doses of the antibiotics) I ran to the bathroom thinking I was going to throw up. I started to to feel extremely dizzy, got really sweaty and super disoriented. Super scary! Got off the meds."

HaleyST (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT use this antibiotic. I had two teeth extracted and the dentist prescribed this to me because I had a small infection under one of my removed teeth. After day 2 I had a marble sized burn in my throat. Then the burn dropped into my chest and turned into throbbing pain. Swallowing anything from water to food brought me to my knees in pain. I called the dentist day 5. He said to stop taking it. I haven't taken a dose in 5 days and the pain is still unbearable. Slowly getting better though. I have lost 10 pounds in 10 days because I can still barely swallow anything. Please ask for another medication instead of clindamycin. Or at least read some online reviews of this drug before taking it. I took it exactly as prescribed."

Matt T (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took Clindamycin for 10 days for a severe parotiditis which occured after using a hot tub. Within days of finishing the dosage, I got a black and brownish thick fuzzy tongue extending to the back of my throat. This is day 25 after the start of Clindamycin and my tongue is still discolored and fuzzy but it's pretty much subsided. Also last Wednesday I developed a pleurisy in my left chest with severe pain radiating under the arm, no shortness of breath or problem with vital signs. Today, still have some pain on taking a deep breath. Also with this medicine I developed a severe diarrhea around day 8 of the dosage and that too had subsided within a week. Drug did take care of my extremely swollen parotid gland and some incidental sore joints."

uvwxyz May 22, 2017