User Reviews for Vancomycin

Also known as: Lyphocin, Vancocin, Vancocin HCl, Vancocin HCl Pulvules

Learn more about Vancomycin.

Methicillin-Resistan...Aureus Infection 2 reviews 10 medications

Meningitis 1 reviews 70 medications

Skin or Soft Tissue Infection 1 reviews 161 medications

Summary of Vancomycin reviews 23 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Vancomycin

For Bone infection: "I was admitted to hospital with cellulitis/osteomyelitis. I am a diabetic and a heart patient. My dosage was decreased several times due to loss of kidney function and landed at 500 mg IV therapy after two weeks of daily treatment. After 4 1/2 weeks, my levels were toxic and my kidney function was at the lowest ever 21. At that point, treatment was discontinued. However, I lost my sense of taste and have been unable to taste salt completely. It has been 3 weeks now with the loss of taste. I talked With two other IV antibiotic patients on Vancomycin and they reported a loss of taste sensation as well. I have not read about this side effect on any of the web sites. Why is this side effect not included?"

Dee Thomas September 10, 2016

For : "Vancomycin did not cure me or help my condition. I went four or 5 rounds (the days ran into each other) paid $600.00 every 10 days to get another round of pills. Could not sleep. Frequently went 2 days without sleep. Cried, cried, cried, lots of depression. Ended up getting a stool transplant (something that I wasn't told was an option until this drug didn't work and we had thousands of dollars wrapped up in taking it. Stool transplant worked, no problem, I got my life back."

SharonChavez June 2, 2016

For Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Infection: "This antibiotic was administered every 8 hours for 10 days saved my leg possibly my life yes I had heartburn yes I had a rash and I'd do it all over again because it saved my life I hope this country continues to develop powerful drugs like this one that can save us from diseases/ infections and such that continue to overtake our communities."

C. Holliday April 9, 2016

For Bone infection: "My father was taking this dug two times a day every twelve hours. Started off good then developed a rash. Then got terribly sick. Went to the hospital and went into total organ failure. Would not recommend this drug."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2015

Vancocin (vancomycin) for Meningitis: "I was on IV vanc for various different things (Pneumonia, meningitis and shunt infections) in the last 8 years. It helped clear up the problems but did make me very sick ( vomiting) and diarrhoea, but but was nothing compared to the original problems! Very strong A/B but very powerful also"

Sam Mahmood (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 25, 2015

For Clostridial Infection: "I have given this to my mother, 2 courses (2x15days) after a C.Diff infection. Beside it so expensive (C$540) it made the diarrhea symptoms goes away for the duration of course then comes back again! So disappointed, Dr. Now indicated that third course maybe in the way."

Fatma Faisal (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "As a last resort I was placed on Vancomycin every 12 hrs for 7 wks to treat a post surgical MRSA staph infection. Thankfully with the help of a home health agency, I was able to administer it at home. Initially I didn't notice many side effects except feeling wore out. After 1 or 2 wks tho my chest felt very tight & taking breaths was painful. My Nurse recommended Zantac for heartburn. Honestly tho, a muscle relaxer worked better & took away those symptoms. Then a few wks into treatment I started getting bad dizzy spells. For that my nurse recommended regular V8 juice to increase my sodium. That worked great! Overall the side effects of the actual medicine wasn't too bad compared to the benefits. By wk 6/7 the staph wounds mostly cleared up."

MarlaMoo April 2, 2015

For Bone infection: "Bloating swelling"

Fuke (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2014

For : "Vancoymcin brought my husbands platelets to a very low number"

anna1940 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2014

For Pneumonia: "I was in the hospital for 10 days with severe pneumonia and several other infections in my head and the combination of vancomycin, Zosyn, Flagyl and Zithromax cleared the majority of the symptoms in a few days. Vancomycin was the primary antibiotic."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2014

For Clostridial Infection: "Diagnosed with C Diff and prescribed Flagyl. Worst week of my life. Terrible side effects including dizziness, insomnia, weepiness, irritable, nightmares, tingling and numbness in feet and legs. I even felt as if my personality changed! My doctor (who I will no longer see) refused to change my medicine to vancomycin, but told me to "tough it out". I painstakingly took 6 days of Flagyl but couldn't take any more. I went to a different doctor and she immediately prescribed Vancomycin. My C Diff symptoms disappeared almost immediately, no side effects but maybe occasional headache. I can't say how happy I am with this medicine. I can take the full course of 10 days with no problems, and C Diff symptoms have not returned yet. Can't believe the difference."

jhill15 (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2013

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I have received i.v. vancomycin previously without any adverse reactions however this past week I received a dose of it (i.v. again) and began severely itching and had facial swelling. I was in the ER and now I don't know if I am allergic to it or just sensitive to of or if it reacted to one of the medication I already take."

Anonymous July 12, 2012

For Bacterial Infection: "The medicine works but the procedure is intravenous through a PICC line. And the side effects of headaches and stomach cramps because of diarrhea is really bad."

hatepicc December 28, 2011

For Bacterial Infection: "I have been battling a C diff infection for a couple months now. I tried a 10 day (500mg x3) course of Flagyl which didn't seem to help much. The Flagyl seemed to increase my nausea while only slightly reducing the waves of stomach pain and didn't seem to improve the diarrhea much at all. A couple days after ending the Flagyl, I was experiencing the worst symptoms of C diff. I immediately went on Vancomycin. I just finished a 14 day course (500mgx4) of Vancomycin yesterday, which seems to have cleared up the symptoms. Vancomycin is extremely expensive (my portion was nearly $2k after insurance picked up the bulk of the cost), but after Flagyl failed, I was glad the Vancomycin seems to have worked with no noticeable side effects."

Anonymous October 11, 2011

For Surgical Prophylaxis: "I was about to go into the operating room for knee replacement and they started Vancomycin via IV. Shortly I started itching, burning, and skin turned red..... especially the scalp, neck, and palms of my hands. Surgery was postponed. This experience was a blessing since I found out the knee replacement contained nickel and I'm VERY allergic to nickel. At least it prevented a disaster!"

Waxahachie October 5, 2011

For Bacterial Infection: "We have been giving Vancomycin 125 mg to our granddaughter for C diff. She takes without problems but she has developed severe diarrhea with it."

Anonymous July 22, 2011

For Clostridial Infection: "Cured the C-diff infection great, however have to take this for 14 days in liquid form, and when I finished taking it I now have had unbearable heartburn and reflux that will not go away well over a week now, have tried Pepto-Bismal, tums, Nexium 40 mg and everything else over the counter and prescription for heartburn, and the severe heartburn still is not resolving or going away."

mikeman3 June 26, 2011

For Pneumonia: "I was diagnosed with MRSA Pneumonia and the hospital tried 5 different types of IV antibiotics on me before they tried the vancomycin. After 2 weeks in hospital I was sent home with IVs administered twice a day for 14 days. It's been 3 weeks since I stopped the IVs and I'm still experiencing dizziness and nausea but my lungs are clear of the pneumonia. I also have pain in my legs at times. I am experiencing Stage 4 kidney failure but the creatinine levels are decreasing. Nonetheless, I am glad the vancomycin worked. "

Tibble May 22, 2011

For Bacterial Infection: "I had C-diff and vancomycin worked great. I had been sick for over 4 months."

Anonymous May 17, 2011

For Bacterial Infection: "I got this medication through my IV while in the hospital for an infection in my lymphnodes in my neck. My white count was down and I felt a lot better after about 3 days! The only side effects I got was nausea and HORRIBLE heartburn (pepto bismol cured this), but it was worth it!"

Anonymous February 28, 2011

For Peritonitis: "I'm use vancomycin i.v. this moment. The infection stopped, but I hear sound in my ears and the draining is 100 ml per day."

Odracir January 22, 2011

For Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Infection: "This medicine given IV at 5X the recommended adult dose, along with the skill of the best surgeon in Cleveland, SAVED MY LIFE FROM MRSA - which at 9 am looked like a spider bite on my leg and by 1 pm had developed into an orange-sized deadly cyst. I was in isolation for 6 days, coma for one, and AM GRATEFUL FOR MY LIFE! Thank you to the scientists who developed this miracle!! [And don't ignore rapidly enlarging cyst-like growths!]"

BarbMarch58 September 1, 2009

Vancocin HCl (vancomycin) for Bone infection: "It cleared my skull based osteomyelitis fast."

Anonymous February 17, 2009

For Bacterial Infection: "My doctors have used vancomycin successfully in two episodes of cellulitus. I was hospitalized both times one year apart and the first time many drugs were not helping the staph origin infection. I tested negative for MRSA, but the infection was ravenous. I did develop intense flushing when infusing over the 2 hour period. The last episode lasted 6 days the first episode lasted 11 days. I highly recommend involvement of a wound doctor and compression socks to heal."

cellulitus patient September 20, 2008

For Bacterial Infection: "I am a Intern Doctor (Cardiologist) this is the only medication to cure( MERSA). I rate this Medication as a 10. "

freeeagle4770aol.com July 23, 2008