User Reviews for Vancomycin

Sepsis 2.0
Summary of Vancomycin reviews 7.0 34 reviews

Reviews for Vancomycin

Jen · Taken for less than 1 month June 29, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “Have been on Vancomycin (IV usage) for a few days now. Started treatment in hospital for a stubborn kidney infection after several other antibiotics didn’t work. Had fevers and chills for ten days prior to starting vancomycin. After just two days on it, the fever went away. I am on day four of treatment at home, but have diarrhea from it. Nurse told me to eat yogurt and so I’ve started. Will see how it goes. But definitely feeling better from the infection!”

rachface · Taken for less than 1 month October 22, 2019

For Clostridioides difficile Infection: “vancomycin seemed to kill the Clostridial bacteria infection- and everything else in my gut! Those with IBS-D who are sensitive to antibiotics may want to proceed with caution when choosing this drug to treat C. Diff; my side effects were sore bowels and intractable nausea which did not subside until a full week after I was done with the course.”

Sammy October 17, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: “I've just started taking this yesterday for C Diff . I hope it works , I am taking the liquid . I was getting it intravenous in the hospital for a couple of days, and they sent me home with the liquid . All I know right now is that it taste like burnt tires . (NASTY)”

purpleprincess6785 · Taken for less than 1 month September 30, 2019

For Surgical Prophylaxis: “I was given an IV dose of Vancomycin (due to allergies of other preferred choices), before my total knee replacement in June 2017. I had no reaction to Vancomycin, with no issues with TKR/recovery. My surgery (including all medicine while in hospital) was covered 100%, due to my work insurance using a Center of Excellence program.”

Teeth are deadly · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2019

For Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Infection: “I had an abscessed toothe Dr put me on a strong antibiotic took last pill the day it was pulled. I was hospitalized 10 days later told the MRSA was in my bloodstream going to all my major organs & quarantined. A main IV picline had to be inserted & they gave me IV vancomycin round the clock with an oral antibiotic called rifampin. I was told by Center for Disease Control it may be weeks. I was sent home on the 7th day but required IV vancomycin 2 times a day for another 7 days. If the vancomycin hadn't worked I probably would've died of sepsis.”

tm1_83 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2019

For Bacteremia: “This drug saved my life back in January of 2012. I was on it for 30 days at 2 IV solutions a day to clear me up. I’m currently on it again for the same condition. I have never experienced any side effects and was/am pleased and very thankful for its results as the drug is saving my life again at this very moment that I type this while admitted to the hospital. I have nothing negative to say about the results of this drug”

Mom · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2018

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “Was given vancomycin via pic intervenous line for severe toe infection going deep and not healing. With first infusion, felt woozy and weird. Several hours later, got 2nd. Infusion, and felt worse. Told nurse to remove needle. These infusions took 5 hours each! Prepared to undress for bed and saw skin on upper chest and stomach bright red. This was a severe allergy reaction . My skin started peeling off next day and continued doing that for a week. Traumatized badly.”

Unfortunate · Taken for less than 1 month April 16, 2018

For Clostridioides difficile Infection: “Side effects - Gas and watery stool”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2017

For Clostridioides difficile Infection: “Nausea, tiredness, bladder infection, ringing in my ears, muscle pain, constipation, numbness in the fingers, cramps in the stomach, itching. Medicine should heal you not cause so many side effects!”

Deaths Door May 8, 2017

For Clostridioides difficile Infection: “I can't rate the actual medication because I can't afford it. I've been on over 14 weeks of flagyl total and I am on disability and vancomycin is over 50% of my income so I can either die starving and homeless or die a slow painful death of c diff - which is how I currently feel. Right now it's a coin toss”

Bev99 · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2017

For Sepsis: “My mother had full body red man syndrome with excessive redness, edema, skin sloughing off and raw skin underneath. Still hospitalized, day 10. I have pictures.”

08sporttrac December 12, 2016

For Clostridioides difficile Infection: “Second time around for this drug in the last 5 months was diagnosed with clostridial infection after hospital stay in June now after this dose I expect to have fecal implant surgery to clear up all issues”

Dee Thomas September 10, 2016

For Bone infection: “I was admitted to hospital with cellulitis/osteomyelitis. I am a diabetic and a heart patient. My dosage was decreased several times due to loss of kidney function and landed at 500 mg IV therapy after two weeks of daily treatment. After 4 1/2 weeks, my levels were toxic and my kidney function was at the lowest ever 21. At that point, treatment was discontinued. However, I lost my sense of taste and have been unable to taste salt completely. It has been 3 weeks now with the loss of taste. I talked With two other IV antibiotic patients on Vancomycin and they reported a loss of taste sensation as well. I have not read about this side effect on any of the web sites. Why is this side effect not included?”

SharonChavez June 2, 2016

“Vancomycin did not cure me or help my condition. I went four or 5 rounds (the days ran into each other) paid $600.00 every 10 days to get another round of pills. Could not sleep. Frequently went 2 days without sleep. Cried, cried, cried, lots of depression. Ended up getting a stool transplant (something that I wasn't told was an option until this drug didn't work and we had thousands of dollars wrapped up in taking it. Stool transplant worked, no problem, I got my life back.”

C. Holliday April 9, 2016

For Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Infection: “This antibiotic was administered every 8 hours for 10 days saved my leg possibly my life yes I had heartburn yes I had a rash and I'd do it all over again because it saved my life I hope this country continues to develop powerful drugs like this one that can save us from diseases/ infections and such that continue to overtake our communities.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 1, 2015

For Bone infection: “My father was taking this dug two times a day every twelve hours. Started off good then developed a rash. Then got terribly sick. Went to the hospital and went into total organ failure. Would not recommend this drug.”

Sam Mahmood · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 25, 2015

Vancocin (vancomycin) for Meningitis: “I was on IV vanc for various different things (Pneumonia, meningitis and shunt infections) in the last 8 years. It helped clear up the problems but did make me very sick ( vomiting) and diarrhoea, but but was nothing compared to the original problems! Very strong A/B but very powerful also”

Fatma Faisal · Taken for less than 1 month August 2, 2015

For Clostridioides difficile Infection: “I have given this to my mother, 2 courses (2x15days) after a C.Diff infection. Beside it so expensive (C$540) it made the diarrhea symptoms goes away for the duration of course then comes back again! So disappointed, Dr. Now indicated that third course maybe in the way.”

MarlaMoo April 2, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: “As a last resort I was placed on Vancomycin every 12 hrs for 7 wks to treat a post surgical MRSA staph infection. Thankfully with the help of a home health agency, I was able to administer it at home. Initially I didn't notice many side effects except feeling wore out. After 1 or 2 wks tho my chest felt very tight & taking breaths was painful. My Nurse recommended Zantac for heartburn. Honestly tho, a muscle relaxer worked better & took away those symptoms. Then a few wks into treatment I started getting bad dizzy spells. For that my nurse recommended regular V8 juice to increase my sodium. That worked great! Overall the side effects of the actual medicine wasn't too bad compared to the benefits. By wk 6/7 the staph wounds mostly cleared up.”

Fuke · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 11, 2014

For Bone infection: “Bloating swelling”

anna1940 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2014

“Vancoymcin brought my husbands platelets to a very low number”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2014

For Pneumonia: “I was in the hospital for 10 days with severe pneumonia and several other infections in my head and the combination of vancomycin, Zosyn, Flagyl and Zithromax cleared the majority of the symptoms in a few days. Vancomycin was the primary antibiotic.”

jhill15 · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2013

For Clostridioides difficile Infection: “Diagnosed with C Diff and prescribed Flagyl. Worst week of my life. Terrible side effects including dizziness, insomnia, weepiness, irritable, nightmares, tingling and numbness in feet and legs. I even felt as if my personality changed! My doctor (who I will no longer see) refused to change my medicine to vancomycin, but told me to "tough it out". I painstakingly took 6 days of Flagyl but couldn't take any more. I went to a different doctor and she immediately prescribed Vancomycin. My C Diff symptoms disappeared almost immediately, no side effects but maybe occasional headache. I can't say how happy I am with this medicine. I can take the full course of 10 days with no problems, and C Diff symptoms have not returned yet. Can't believe the difference.”

Anonymous July 12, 2012

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “I have received i.v. vancomycin previously without any adverse reactions however this past week I received a dose of it (i.v. again) and began severely itching and had facial swelling. I was in the ER and now I don't know if I am allergic to it or just sensitive to of or if it reacted to one of the medication I already take.”

hatepicc December 28, 2011

For Bacterial Infection: “The medicine works but the procedure is intravenous through a PICC line. And the side effects of headaches and stomach cramps because of diarrhea is really bad.”