User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zmax

Learn more about Azithromycin.

Mycoplasma Pneumonia 2 reviews 36 medications

Bacterial Endocarditis Prevention 2 reviews 56 medications

STD Prophylaxis 1 reviews 25 medications

Summary of Azithromycin reviews 702 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Azithromycin

For Chlamydia Infection: "I had four 250mg of azithromycin and felt fine straight after. I hadn't read the reviews and didn't know what was to happen next. BOOM two and a half hours later I there was a waterfall coming out my butt and felt like I was about to throw up! My temperature rapidly increased and I had terrible stomach pains! The next day I continue to feel ill having awful stomach pains but not once did I poo! Definitely learnt my lesson! 100% making sure the boy covers up:/"

SB909090 June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "I was diagnosed with chlamydia and was given two 500mg pills to take at the clinic around 10am. They said it'll make me nauseous. I was fine for two hours until I got home around 12pm and started having sharp stabbing stomach pains worst pain I've ever felt ended up going to the bathroom and throwing up. Then right after that had to flush and ended up having watery diarrhea stayed in the bathroom an hour doubled over from the stomach pains while sitting on the toilet still. Pain let up an I took a nap for 2 hours and went to school got there around 3:50 ended up going home 15 minutes later because the stomach pain came back and I was literally crying sitting on the toilet in the college locker room. Went home been in bed ever since its 12am"

Foxpaws187 June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "I was a bit skeptical at first because of all of the reviews so I waited a day or so after I actually picked up the medicine to take it ... so today I took the 1 GM powder packet. For one it tasted disgusting but I felt perfectly fine after I drank all of it. Out of no where my abdominal started hurting and then I threw up and now I have explosive diarrhea. This is horrible !!!"

DestinyL123 June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "NP put me on zpack 5 day. I took the first dose (500 mg) yesterday at 4pm. I have diarrhea about 2 hours after I took it. I get home from work at 10pm and start having the most severe abdominal pains that moved up to my upper abdomen, chest, and wrapped around my back. I couldn't sleep, no position helped alleviate the pain I was in. It felt like my lungs were tightening to the point I couldn't breath normal nor talk in full sentences to tell my bf what was wrong. I'm not one to go to the ER over anything but I made him drive me and on the route there the pain stopped and I was fine. So I never went in the ER but the pain was severe enough to make me go. I ate a full meal before and drank plenty of water. I won't take it again. So scary."

lavren (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "I'm sharing this to dim the fear in everyone's head from the rest of these comments I took this medication because I found out I had chlamydia I was extremely anxious because I have horrendous allergies to a lot of antibiotics I had four 250g white pills in the clinic free of charge and expected the worse So I took the medication at 9:30 in the morning by 10 I felt like I was gonna throw up but didn't, the nausea lasted 30 mins max. I got home by 11 went straight to bed woke up around 2 and was fine and it's currently the next day and I have had one dump (not diarrhoea) and I've had no other issues There's hope after all ! Enjoy being chlamydia free everyone x"

Lisaaa5653 (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I am on day 2 of this antibiotic for a severe sinus infection. On my first dose of the 2 pills, my stomach started becoming upset, it was bloating and overall bad feeling in my gut. Day 2 (which is where I am at now), and I do feel much better concerning my sinus issues but my stomach still hurts and I am bloated. I have been taking this antibiotic for years and have not experienced this before with my stomach. I had something to eat right after taking both doses. But I will say that the sinus pain and pressure in my face and eyes is gone!! Which is a big deal to me. I'll just have to deal with the stomach pains... they aren't severe. I am wondering if somehow they have changed the make up of this antibiotic since I haven't had these issue"

Sharonrc69 June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "2 hours after taking it POW explosion of diarrhea! The worst diarrhea I have ever experienced I want it to end now but there is no light at the end of the tunnel yet!! ...I'm trying to drink some boiled ginger and taking comfort knowing we're all suffering together :( sorry guys haha it's a small price to pay (although my butt would argue that)"

Whydoidothesethings (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zithromax (azithromycin) for Bronchitis: "I woke up one morning with burning in my chest when I coughed, lots of mucous in my upper respiratory area, a headache, 101 fever and the mucous was even flowing out of my left eye. My Internist prescribed the Zpack. On day 3, the burning in my chest went away. But the side effects were severe. On day 3, I began to get massive night sweats. These sweats lasted 31 days after the last pill I took. My blood sugar level also rose to prediabetic levels. My glucose was tested at 115, then 108. My blood pressure and heart beat rocketed for well over a month before it subsided. I would say that my body did not respond very well to Zithromax. But the drug did what it was suppose to. I would never take this drug again unless I was forced to ."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "So hubby and I tested positive for chlamydia, kicking myself because I think we have both had it asymptomatically for at least half a year, him longer. Chlamydia is a silent, sneaky bastard! Anyway we got prescribed the two pill method to take at once. We had just eaten breakfast, him an omelette and I oatmeal. After taking it I had a banana, some nuts and later on dinner. I found I randomly had some sharp stomach pains that lasted about 30 minutes but they were bearable. I've been gassy all day, which is annoying but again, not the worst thing ever. Hubby hasn't been spared. He's been in and out of the bathroom all day! But he's had a sensitive stomach the past two weeks as it is so it's hard to say what affected what."

Jenna C June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "My partner was told he had chlamydia I am pregnant and went to the doctor the very ne t day to get tested. I will have the results in 2 days but if he has it the doctors pretty sure I do. I was given the 1gram powder I mixed with it water and it tasted TERRIBLE I gagged but just swallowed my throw up so I still digest it. I have work early in the morning and have really bad diarrhea now. My stomach will not stop bubbling and I am unable to sleep. Yeah it's nice to get rid of this problem so easy with one dose but my god it makes you feel terrible"

Anonymous June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "Took 4 of the 250mg pink tabs in the car in front of CVS. Told my boyfriend how that was "it". Drove home right after (thank God I almost stopped at Dominoes to order a pizza for dinner). Started folding laundry while talking on the phone then BAM!!!!! Started to feel nauseated, ran and grabbed some kettle chips and chugged a half water thinking it would do the trick- only made me more nauseated. I took a big dump and nowI am laying on unfolded laundry in a fetal position while my stomach is cramping and trying to speak to me. I also have a horrible taste in my mouth as well."

Bubbleguts June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "I took four of the azithromycin pills about an hour ago and had a small meal afterwards. The thing is I've been sitting on the toilet for the past 40 minutes with the worst (my worst) case of diarrhea. Although I do find that taking these are very effective; I'd suggest not eating before taking them in case you might throw them up.. Eating a little bit after is good too to keep away from feeling nauseated and all."

Heza (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "Worked amazingly took it 2 hours ago and already feel better. To the people with stomach cramps drink a tall glass of ice cold water and a gentle meal and you'll easily avoid nausea and diahrrea :)"

Clean&free (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "This drug heaedl my acute sinus infection after a week. I believe it is stronger than Co Amoxiclav."

Hamid121 (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "I'm here for the same issues as others, cheating partner and an unfortunate experience as a result. Already horrified, I read these reviews and wanted to cry even more. Eating a starchy meal was very good advice. I ate a small bowl of potato salad, drink 16 ounces of water and took the medication. It did make me tired so I napped periodically throughout the day. I ate a small bowl of pasta in the early evening and drink a little more water. Other than mild fatigue and mild cramping at night, I did not have any of the horrible symptoms that were shared here. Hopefully others have a like experience but if I had a severe reaction I would call my doctor right away."

JessIcaFD (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zithromax (azithromycin) for Bronchitis: "Was given Z pack for Bronchitis. Didn't really help with it. Made me have diarrhea. Made me sick to my stomach, terrible metallic taste and sinus mucus. It was like it was toxic on my system. I also got a bladder infection after taking it. Probably killed all the good bacteria in my gut. Never again."

RitzGS (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "WARNING: I took only 4 pills of this medication during a flu with sinus infection and it caused me to lose my abilities to smell and taste. It also caused severe headaches and dizziness until I stopped taking it. I don't know what it may mean for me to not be able to smell or taste again... I can't imagine the rest of my life with such a loss, but if I can at least warn others and prevent it from happening to another person..."

Ann990 May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "Two hours after taking these I started to feel like garbage. My stomach felt extremely gassy which caused me to be in the toilet for a good 30mins with diarrhea. It was like a faucet was turned on and my bowels let loose. Afterwards I started to feel a lot better. I mean I can't complain about the symptoms because at least chlamydia is curable. Rather go through this and be cured."

Anonymous May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "I got tested and found out I got chlamydia from my ex boyfriend. It's been almost 2 hrs since I took it and I'm feeling nauseous. "

Anonymousssly May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "I have a pretty tough stomach, but started to get this pain in my right side every time I breathe. Went to the doctor and they tested for chlamydia, how exciting. 18 and already having to explain to my boyfriend that he needs to get tested. Currently laying in bed in the fetal position sounding like I just ran a marathon by the way I'm breathing. Talk about cramps. I took the 4 pink pills maybe an hour to an hour and a half ago tops. Gets the job done fast, but pretty excruciating. Took a zofran and some melatonin, so far so good. I guess this is just payback for my not so bright college ideas of "it's okay he doesn't need a condom"... Use protection..."

atleastimnotpregnant (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "I am an anxiety-ridden individual with a phobia of vomit and a sensitive stomach. I was deathly afraid to take 1g of azithromycin at once, especially since I've gotten very ill from smaller doses. BUT! I survived. Here's how. 1. Start by eating STARCH. And a decent amount. I ate a large plate of pasta, then drank two bottles of water. 2. Take the pills/powder. (I was given powder) 3. Drink more water, eat a few crackers. 4. Start to nibble on crackers about 30 min later. 5. Drink fizzy water. Drink A LOT OF IT. 1.5 hours in, I had around 15 minutes of intense gut-churning spasming. I took four Pepto pills over 10 minutes, and began to feel better. Next morning and no other side effects."

ISurvivedAzithromycin May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "I tested positive for chlamydia and was prescribed two 500mg azithromycin to treat it. I read some of these reviews and was scared about taking it because I react badly to most antibiotics I have taken in my life. I would definitely recommend taking it early in the day on a day you don't have much to do. I was extremely nauseous and puked 2 times in the first two hours after taking it but it passed after I took a nap. About 5-6 hours later I had 2 loose stools. After that I was fine, I had some gas pains the next 2 days and I was really tired but other than that I had no bad symptoms. I also took a probiotic at the same time so that may be why. Hopefully me and my boyfriend will both test negative come next test(:"

Stdfreeeeeehopefully (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "Literally the worst side effects!! I was trying to focus on falling asleep because it felt like my stomach was twisting and turning and I was going to throw it up. 20 minutes after taking 2 pills, I threw up all over myself in bed! I ate crackers before hand to put something in my stomach. My heart felt like it was going a million miles an hour only 10 minutes after taking them, worst experience with any kind of medicine I've ever had in my life. Now I have to turn around and take them AGAIN because of course they weren't effective in 20 minutes. Luckily the doctor prescribed me Reglan (used to help with nausea) to take before I take the azithromycin. Hoping I DON'T have the same experience all over again."

070707bg May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "This used to work for me about 5-10 years ago. I would get sick twice a year with a sinus infection and then take a Z pack. All better!! About 4 years ago the Z Pack stopped working yet my stupid doctors KEEP prescribing the Z Pack. I am good from day 3-day 12, then the infection comes right back."

timmytwos (taken for 10 years or more) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "Got this for chlamydia- This treatment's effective but side effects have me crying and shaking uncontrollably. I got excruciating stomach cramps (felt like I was giving birth) about 3 hours later and then nausea/diarrhea. The fever just kicked in after 6 hours. Worth the quick treatment but not an easy recovery."

jh_ty7 May 10, 2017