User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Zithromax, Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak

Azithromycin has an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 from a total of 1,224 ratings on Drugs.com. 57% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Chlamydia Infection
Legionella Pneumonia
Summary of Azithromycin reviews 6.9 1,224 reviews

Reviews for Azithromycin

Sweettea1229 · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2021

For Chlamydia Infection: “If your reading this then your probably terrified just like I was when I got this medicine. I've had it for a week before I finally decided to take it. I had worked myself up over this medicine so bad I was barely eating anything. So yesterday I finally decided to take it. I had a small meal at dinner time then waited a couple hours and ate 4 pieces of bread then took the two 500mg pills and absolutely nothing happened. I'm so upset at myself for waiting this long. So if you have severe anxiety plus have a phobia of getting sick DON'T BE SCARED. IF I CAN DO IT ANYONE CAN. You got this!”

A · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2020

For Chlamydia Infection: “I was SO scared reading these reviews, but surprisingly I had little to no side effects. I made sure to eat a carb filled meal about 30 min before taking the 1000mg dose. No stomach ache really, no fever either. Did have mild diarrhea about 5 hours later. Don’t stress too hard about it! Stress makes everything worse! Just take it and lie down, you’ll be okay! If I can do it so can you!”

JDot · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2020

For Chlamydia Infection: “Took this in the powder form, only a one-time dosage, to fight Chlamydia. I am really glad I had taken the powder form, because it was super easy to take and to digest. My stomach did make some funky noises within the first couple of hours, as well as feeling sick, but I never had to vomit, and I never got any headaches. I did feel weird and smellier than usual during the first 2-3 days, but by day 5, I felt like myself again! I also had BV alongside the STI, and I noticed this cleared up my BV as well. The odors I had were completely gone, no more runny discharge, I felt energized again, no more abnormalities by day 6. This was a great antibiotic, and I am so glad it exists because it was quick and effective. I have definitely learned my lesson, practice safe sex & good hygiene! :)”

Cheyenne · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2020

For Pneumonia: “I was prescribed azithromycin for a Covid19 scare. I had pneumonia but a negative Covid19 test. I was on a 5 day course. I’m someone who never takes medication because I’m scared of all the side effects and I’m an absolute baby when I feel bad.. at all. I took it before bed. I didn’t have many symptoms. I would have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. The only thing that really bothered me was that it made me extremely cold. The 2 side effects I did experience were gone about 6 hours in. My symptoms from my pneumonia were gone by the second day on the medication. This was the first antibiotic where I was able to finish the full course (although I figured this would be better than having Covid and getting worse). I will also add that I have a heart arrhythmia called SVT. I also have inappropriate sinus tachycardia & POTS. The medication didn’t effect my heart at all. I was very scared of that.”

Ashryan07 March 24, 2016

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: “I just want to say to people out there that are scared to take antibiotics (like myself) do not look up these silly reviews it will only scare you more from taking them. I had to deal with strep for a month before I could actually take my antibiotic because people on here made it seem like it was the worst drug they've ever had. So far I've had no side effects. And it's working great. My suggestion is don't try and research what other people have said about it. Try it for yourself.”

Lianna April 2, 2021

Zithromax (azithromycin) for Sinusitis: “I am prone to sinus infections, and usually get them with seasonal changes. Sometimes they come with ear stuffiness, and usually with a fever, sore throat, and migraines. The exhaustion is the worst! With 2 small children, this time around, I had to get back on my feet quickly as there are no sick days. Well ZPACK works within hours, even on the pain of the sinus pressure! This has gotten me back to normal more times in my 34 years than I can count. I am extremely thankful for it because I have very few alternatives, being severely allergic to penicillin.”

Covid 19 maybe · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2020

Z-Pak (azithromycin) for Pneumonia: “Went to the hospital because of fever over a week and pain above my navel. They x rayed my chest and told me I have double pneumonia and most likely COVID-19. I have finished the entire z pack (azithromycin) now and feel worse everyday. Doctors ignore my complaints. Diarrhea, fever, dizziness, chills, and the worst pain in my chest I have ever had even when not breathing deeply. However they still won’t test me for the virus. I don’t have any more meds and my doctor said not to come in for a follow up because I could get others sick. I am in mandatory quarantine with my family. I hope I don't die.”

Renee rap November 19, 2013

Zithromax (azithromycin) for Bronchitis: “The only medicine that works on my bronchitis I've tried others and suffered more. For me it starts working in 2 days. No side effects for me just relief. I love it. But I really need to quit smoking. I wouldn't get it so often, get it at least 2 times a year.”

Lola · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2020

For Sinusitis: “Absolutely horrible side effects. Chest pain, shortness of breath and volatile heart beat from 2nd day of therapy onward (it was a five-day course). Ended up in ER, but EKG seemed normal. I am now in the third day after taking the last pill. Cleared up my sinusitis, but side effects are still lingering. Feeling hot on the inside, but no fever. Feelings of hopelessness, severe depression. Heart rate up to 130 only to drop to 50. Chest pain. Fear of a heart attack. No appetite whatsoever. Surviving on soup. One moment I feel like my old self, the next I feel like I'm losing my mind.”

Lulu · Taken for less than 1 month January 1, 2021

For Chlamydia Infection: “Tbh. I was TERRIFIED to take azithromycin again as it made me nauseous and on the verge of vomiting last time. But this time I was prescribed the Four 250mg pills (1000mg) at once. I ate 2 grilled cheese sandwiches about an hour before I took them and just kinda waited to see how it’d affect me this time. And after hour I felt completely FINE. NOTHING. NADA. ZIP. About 2 hours later I was just really hungry and then I went to bed. It effects everyone differently and I’m glad this time there was no problems. It truly is a nightmare when u feel it is making you feel so sick. Just relax. Eat some crackers, bread and sip on some water. You’ll finally tackle this once and for all. And always remember safe sex from NOW ON ❤️”

Anonymous January 30, 2012

Zithromax (azithromycin) for Bronchitis: “Zithromax works. I see a lot of websites stating that bronchitis is usually caused by a virus. The fact is, that although the triggering mechanism that brought on the bronchitis may be a virus, a secondary infection of bacteria is common. My entire family had bronchitis for several weeks. Zithromax will get rid of it in most cases. Don't believe the nonsense that you don't need antibiotics- after a couple of weeks of this, go get some Zithromax. It works!”

ShawnieMichael · Taken for less than 1 month December 12, 2014

Zithromax (azithromycin) for Bronchitis: “I suffere from asthma and would frequently come down with bronchitis. This Zithromax is a lifesaver. I love how it helps me get over it quickly and I am on my feet again within the week. Best prescription ever.”

catlover1215 July 31, 2014

For Chlamydia Infection: “If you're reading this right now, it's probably because you're worried about whether this antibiotic will work for you or not. I was diagnosed with chlamydia about a month ago and was in tears day in and day out because I was so worried that the chlamydia might have spread, considering I had no idea my cheating ex had given it to me a year prior. (Pathetic, I know) Well anyways, I was prescribed 4 pills, I took 2 pills at the same time for 2 days consecutively (1g or 1000mg in total to be exact) I had no side effects. The burning sensation while I urinated went away in two days. This antibiotic honestly was heaven sent. P.S, I went to the doctor today for my Test of Cure and I am completely infection free! USE THIS!”

Alcor · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2015

Zithromax (azithromycin) for Bronchitis: “This stuff starts working on Day One. Within a couple hours of taking it, I already feel like the congestion has halted and just needs to clear up. Make sure to take the whole pack, but all three times I've ever had bronchitis sneak in during a cold, Zithromax knocks it right out. No side effects for me.”

Pauly D. December 7, 2015

Zithromax (azithromycin) for Sinusitis: “It's a life saver for me. Chronic sinus problem that occurs twice a year. Slight stomach issues after initial dose. Knocks out brain fog. Had the best night sleep in months. Always take with food, and you will have no issues. Made me feel 90% better 24 hours after initial dosage. Use with Flonase to open passages to help get it all. Only thing that works for my sinus problems.”

Chuck 597 · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2012

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: “I am on day 2 of the 5 day dose pack. Relief from upper respiratory symptoms has been rapid and effective. 48 hrs ago I was having severe coughing fits, sneezing, painful sinus pressure, lethargy, blocked nasal passages, unable to lie down without inducing severe bouts of coughing. 36 hrs ago I took the loading dose, and 12 hrs ago the day 2 dose. My cough is all but gone, I am able to breathe normally, my voice is back nearly to normal, the sinus pressure is gone, and I have stopped taking the decongestant I was using. This afternoon I went out shopping. I have noticed no side effects, others than a mild nausea after the day 1 dose, which may or may not have been from the medicine. This is my second highly positive experience with this medicine.”

TinaTomato November 3, 2013

For Bronchitis: “Hello! I wanted to give a complete day-to-day experience taking ZPak. Summary: I started to get sore throat, ear ache, fatigue, body chills, vomiting, and a slight fever. I would cough up white/slightly yellow mucus. Day 1: Fatigue was reduced by 80%, less coughing,didn't cough up as much mucus but dry hacking cough was still there. Day 2: Coughing was still there, ear infection reduced, little to no mucus. Couldn't lay down or would still get coughing fits, would have to sporadically sit up so I wouldn't cough throughout the night, had liquid stools. Day 3: Felt 70% better, coughing turned into an annoying honking cough with no mucus, slight blurry vision, some sweating, dryness, continued watery stools. Day 4: Feeling 75-80% better.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2012

Zithromax (azithromycin) for Sinusitis: “After suffering from a cold for 8 days, I woke up with extreme pressure in my sinuses and couldn't hear due to my ears being clogged. I was prescribed the 3 day Zithromax and after one day felt sooo much better. The pressure went away and I had a slightly runny nose. One the second day I could breathe without using decongestants. I haven't had any side effects, but maybe a slight pang in my stomache when taking (I usually eat something right after taking). I'm usually resistant to going to the dr. but very glad I did this time.”

Bronchitis sufferer · Taken for less than 1 month September 14, 2013

Zithromax (azithromycin) for Bronchitis: “Got a regular head cold about a week ago. The cold is better but the cough got much worse - so violent I can't talk. Went to Urgent Care - they gave me Lortab for coughing, a Z-pack & an inhaler. It's been 2 hours and I am already feeling an improvement. This is the second time in 2 years that this happens to me. I only wish that I could prescribe it to myself at the onset next time instead of trying every other medicine!”

Buttercup · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2020

For Chlamydia Infection: “I was absolutely terrified to take this medicine after reading the reviews & to anyone that is afraid TAKE THESE REVIEWS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT. I was prescribed two 500mg Azithromycin & I took them after a big breakfast. Called out of work and took them around 12ish. I ate Pancakes Eggs and Bacon & yogurt. I’ve also been eating yogurt for the past few days. Probiotics apparently helps when taking antibiotics. Now it’s 3 hours later. No symptoms. No headache, no nausea NOTHING. I’m just peeing a lot because I drank lots of water. Do not be afraid, if effects everyone differently. ❤️”

Steph3 August 6, 2014

Zithromax (azithromycin) for Sinusitis: “Took away my ear infection but gave me. Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, heart palpitations, anxiety, shortness of breath, diarrhea, dizziness, etc... So not worth it. I was less sick before starting this medicine.”

no more siccko · Taken for less than 1 month April 17, 2014

For Sinusitis: “I had a tickle in my throat and very tired on day one. Then day 3 a dry hacking cough and then runny nose and congestion. Day 5 woke up to bad sinus headache and pressure but not getting better and worse cough. Day 7 I felt like death warmed over and couldn't take it anymore. Went to doctor and got 5 day Zpak and inhaler. Took day 1 dose and next morning felt much better and lot of the sinus pressure and headache were gone. By dose Day 4 much much better and only small cough now. ”

Willoetree · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2012

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin) for Pneumonia: “I developed pneumonia after being treated in the hospital for an anaphylactic allergic response. Within a few days my oxygen was down to 92%. I was almost hospitalized, but begged the doc to let me stay out as it was 5 days until Christmas. I was prescribed a 5 day Z-Pak (Azithromycin). Today is day 3, I'm finally starting to feel better. Only side effect so far have been slightly loose stools, and a rapid pulse. (I'm 35 and otherwise healthy) I find I got stomach pains within an hour of taking it, so today I ate before I took it and that helped.”

Ron of Valhalla June 10, 2014

For Bronchitis: “Had bronchitis for maybe 2 weeks. At first I thought it was a cold or maybe an allergy. My temp started to move up to 99.6, and then 100+ and finally like 101.7. But the cough was the worst. The weirdest cough I ever had, deep, loud coughs and I'd cough for like 30sec+ or cough and sneeze at the same time. Could not lie down at all or I'd begin coughing (but I'd cough anyway). The doc prescribed Z-pak. About 4 hours after I took it, I could tell the symptoms improving. My temp improved, the cough subsided, too. This is my second day. For me there are no side effects.”

Chronic Sinusitis · Taken for less than 1 month October 11, 2014

Zithromax (azithromycin) for Sinusitis: “I have had chronic sinusitis for the better part of 10 years now off and on. It really gets bad as spring changes over to summer as well as summer over to fall. I have taken several different antibiotics over the years and the sinusitis keeps coming back stronger the next year. So I just started the 7 day ZPak yesterday for the first time and just took the second days dosage. Much like most of the other reviews on this site, I am experiencing some minor diarrhea as well as flatulence. Which, in my opinion, can be a deadly combination for a new pair of white boxer briefs! I have not noticed any other side effect as of yet but again I am only on the second day. I will tell you that I am feeling much livelier right now and gained motivation”