User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Aspiration Pneumonia 1 reviews 63 medications

Bacterial Infection 58 reviews 170 medications

5.3
Summary of Amoxicillin/clavulanate reviews 350 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate

For Sinusitis: "Pro: Got relief from bad sinus infection within one day Cons: Supremely hard on my stomach and energy level. If I was not nauseous, I had severe stomach pains and chest dagger like pangs. Also had the sweats. And yes all this even after taking probiotics and with food."

UmaGo (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "I found this to be a safe and effective drug. I have chronic sinusitis. A 20 day course puts the sinusitis in remission. I also have small intestine bacterial overgrowth. While I was prescribed the medication for sinusitis, I found a spectacular improvement in my acute and chronic small intestinal bacterial overgrowth."

sinusitis/small intestines (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 16, 2017

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Some of these reviews had me worried because I hate side effects, but the throat was so painful I had to try it. Glad I did, I'm now on day 9 of two times daily and infection is gone, no pain. No side effects at all. No nausea, no diarrhea, no headaches. Worked well."

dwcrockett71 (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2017

For Strep Throat: "Everyone take a note that anytime you take an antibiotic you should to a probiotic to help your digestive health. A lot of antibiotic's cause diarrhea and can turn severe without proper technique. Take into fact too that eating or consuming and dairy product with an antibiotic is A HUGE NO-NO!!! I cannot stress how many times people have done that complaining about frequent loose bowel movements that sometimes leads to accidents. By the third day if you don't reckon progression, go back to docs immediately!"

FrankEee (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2017

For Pneumonia: "It was alright, but truthfully I used apple cider vinegar and rubbing alcohol to cure my ear infection at least 3/4 times faster than this med did. Tummy issues with this and it took forever to kick in...unless it was just my natural hippy dippy remedy"

JillTheRipper (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "Horrible, horrible experience. I'm a healthy (no pre existing conditions, exercises regularly, maintains healthy diet) female in my mid 30s. Rarely take meds, especially antibiotics, so when I do they usually work well. I was a little nervous to take augmentin because the dose was so strong, but the doc was adamant because I had a very severe sinus infection. By the third dose my whole body was reacting. No relief from the sinus congestion, horrible headache, very anxious/nervous, nightmares, night sweats, zero appetite, insomnia, blurred vision, horrible horrible yeast infection (I have never had a yeast infection in my entire life). Called the doc hysterically crying and was told to stop taking it immediately. Stay far away!!"

JennsReviews January 12, 2017

For Bacterial Infection: "Taking Amox-Clav 875-125 mg, 2x/day, for sinus and lung infection. Doctor said to take with food, and a probiotic, or yogurt. I take a probiotic (25 billion CFU capsules), eat a meal, and then take the antibiotic. So far, no side effects. I've taken four full days (8 doses) of it, and woke up this morning (day five) feeling like most of my symptoms have subsided. My head cleared up right away, but it took four days for my cough/cough spasm to improve. It's still there, but it's much better. I gave it an 8 score because it is taking its sweet time clearing the lungs."

LMaxx January 11, 2017

For Sinusitis: "I've been taking Amoxicillin Clav 875 for only 2 days now and already starting to feel better. No other issues as of yet."

Jonscott63 January 9, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "This drug was the worse. I'm still recovering. Starting taking this on 12/28 for SI. I take daily probiotics and increased them since I expected some stomach upset. At first not so bad but by Friday 12/30. The yeast infection from hell reared its ugly head. I had Diflucan on stand by just in case and took it 12/31 and stopped Augmentin altogether Nothing and normally it's hours when I feel relief. I had to get Monistat 1 on New Years to help fight it. Just got relief as of 1/4. Digestive still not normal. Never again. Unless my life depends on it."

TeePooler January 7, 2017

For Sinusitis: "Day 3 out of 10 on this medication and the whole time I feel nausea my heart feels like it's going to pop out of my chest and I feel like I can't breath properly what a nightmare"

ILizz (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

For Sinusitis: "The doctor was hesitant to prescibe an antibiotic, since Kaiser is against them unless you are knocking on deaths door. But after suffering pounding headaches for a month, terrible mucous in the back of my throat and finally shortness of breath, the doctor agreed to prescribe Augmentin for sinusitis. I had an earache, constant violent sneezing, exhaustion and head congestion that was only continuing to worsen. After TWO pills, I felt lIke I'd been reborn. I did wake up at 2 am with the worst heartburn of my life, though, and chewed at least 15 Tums, took 2 Pepcid Ac with milk, and still my guts were on fire. Take this medication with food, and probiotics at intervals."

Anonymous January 6, 2017

For Bacterial Infection: "I had a dog bites and was taking Bactrim for 6 days. Not helping. My Dr. Prescribed Amox-Clav. Augmentin. Same day started bloody diarrhea. Kept for the whole 5 days I was taking it, till I stopped. Lost 10 pounds, dehydrated, and got severe lower back pains from the dehydration. My doctor told me to stop immediately. He also said after that much Diarrhea, I should go to the store and get over the counter PROBIOTICS to replace the good bacteria in my stomach. He said to take that for a week or two."

Barry J. Bischoff January 1, 2017

For Sinusitis: "I don't like taking medication, u get a bit 25 to 30 pills & I won't take them all because I hat taking pills, they cause other problems 4 me , like a yeast infection, so then you have to medication for that. #1 medicine that I would rate a #10....is a zpak!!! Knocks sinus out in 5 day!"

A.p. (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "Started a 10 day regimen 3 days ago for a sinus infection but stopped today. Terrible GI reaction with diarrhea. Also now having restless legs at night."

Sarah223 December 31, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: "My 16 month old daughter was prescribed this for an ear infection, her first ear infection ever. She's never been on antibiotics before. This drug is tearing up her insides. We're on day four of ten and I'm not giving it to her anymore. Going to the dr today for other options. She's been crying, screaming, writhing with stomach pain and I feel like the cure is FAR worse than the ear infection!!! Wish I'd known how strong it was before I picked it up. Horrible!!!"

Emma's Momma December 30, 2016

Augmentin XR (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "Have frequent sinus infections & have been prescribed Augmentin XR whenever I have a severe sinus infection for about the past 17 years now. It always has done the job & taken care of the infection. The only downside is the GI side effects (i.e. stomach cramps, diarrhea, etc)."

abercrombie4112 (taken for 10 years or more) December 29, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I was prescribed this medication for sinusitis. After taking the pills twice a day for 5 days out of the ten I needed I began developing side effects- swelling of the throat, sweaty hands and feet with tingling/burning, tingling in both arms, swelling of lower legs and ankles, tight chest, pain on front and back or chest, pain on both sides of my neck, unable to sleep flat, nausea and constant gas and indigestion. Dry mouth, terrible taste in mouth with white coated tongue. My blood pressure jumped to 144/98 from the usual 117/80. I thought I was having a heart attack! The pain in my chest was unbearable. I am hoping all these symptoms resolve on their own after stopping the antibiotic. All of my medical tests came back normal. "

Side Effects to the ER (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2016

For Sinusitis: "My face was inflamed...red hot cheeks. I figured it was a type of allergic reaction but I was desperate to cure the issue I had been experiencing for 3 months. As it turned out antibiotics didn't work at all because it was a fungus due to root canal."

Tamale lee December 22, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Otitis Media: "was prescribed a 10 day course of augmentin for ear infection and bronchitis, and by day three had diarrhea, a severe headache and nausea. started probiotics and that helped a little. now after being off of it for 1 day i have developed a yeast infection. the meds did help the infection but i felt like i was going to die in the meantime. i will never take this med again"

Anonymous December 22, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I was feeling nauseated but I drunk some ginger ale and I was fine after that"

Kimlow December 21, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Otitis Media: "After 3 doses of 875mg Augmentin for Ear infection had severe abdominal cramping and diarrhea...no relief for the ear...had to call Dr fro different Rx"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "I loved the Antibiotic. If you take probiotics and eat yogurt you'll be fine. If you're sensitive to antibiotics and get yeast infections easily. I recommend asking you GP for diflucan 2 pills take it 2 or 3 days into the antibiotic course then on day 6 or 7."

becca313 December 15, 2016

For Sinusitis: "It's been 3.5 days that I am taking 875mg /125mg of clauvulin why do I feel still congested?"

Galit78 December 15, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I am now on day 7 taking Augmentin for upper respiratory and sinus infection. Was so ill could not wait to start taking it. I feel a lot better but still not there yet. Still have dry cough at night and sinus problems. On 2nd day if taking developed diarrhea very dark and loose. Still have it but not as severe. These are just inconveniences compared to how sick I was. Glad I'm taking it"

Buttercup15 December 15, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "I would NEVER recommend this drug to ANYONE! Took 1 pill about 3 hours before bed. Finally got to bed at 3 am, and layed there for an hour with such nausea I had to get up. Tried to take some Pepto-Bismol for it and no sooner than I took it, I got violently ill! I was vomiting the rest of the night until around 6 am. I have no problem at all with taking regular Amoxicillin, so whatever else is in here, my body rejects it strongly! One minute I'd be sweating like it was 120 degrees, the next I'd have the chills so bad it felt like I was outside with shorts and a tank top on in the middle of winter (like now). NEVER AGAIN! Stay as far away from this drug as possible!"

Hezz806 (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016