User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Aspiration Pneumonia 1 reviews 63 medications

5.6
Bacterial Infection 69 reviews 171 medications

Summary of Amoxicillin/clavulanate reviews 401 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate

For Bacterial Infection: "It is now week 3 since I stopped that poison, and I'm STILL paying a price. I was prescribed it for a bacterial upper respiratory infection. After the first day, I started having a fast and pounding heart rate. My fatigue got much worse, and my blood pressure went way up (though I didn't know the latter had occurred until I took myself to a walk-in clinic on the 5th day, when I STOPPED that poison.) Since then, I STILL have the pounding heart rate throughout the day, and especially at bedtime, which keeps me awake. It's like my adrenaline is always sky high now. I am forced to take taurine three times a day to control it somewhat. Will this ever end???"

HarmedbyAmoxicillinClavulanate May 29, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis: "These pills really knocked me hard!!! Had a tooth pulled and doctor put me on for 7 days...Never slept so much in my life. Had absolutely no energy to do ANYTHING!! Fair warning everyone!!"

Sammy g May 29, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I've been taking this for about two weeks to combat cellulitis and after first trying Keflex and Bactrim which did not work, the Augmentin is working quite well. I haven't had any stomach upset or GI discomfort. I haven't had any Diarrhea that couldn't be easily stopped with a normal dose of over-the-counter Loperamide. Had a slight bit but the Loperamide fixed that right up. "

Adam Mann (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Had the worst upper respiratory infection I have ever had. Took ambulance to hospital for first time in my life because I thought it was a heart attack. Could barely breathe. I had let it go for over 2 weeks and it had gotten that bad. I have not been sick in over 12 years and never went to ER for an illness before. I was prescribed Amox- Clav in addition to a steroid for inflammation. Day 3 started to feel 60% better, Day 5 80%, Day 7 95% there. No side effects, I do eat a good sized meal 20 minutes prior to taking it. I never was so sick and I am very fortunate that I was given this medication with no side effects and was back at the office in 2 days after taking."

nick rarety May 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Daughter (16), was prescribed this medicine for an inflamed lymph node. After a few days, I noticed her upper eyelids were swollen. Thought maybe she was just tired, but after a week, they are still swollen. She also sounds like she's getting a sinus infection( meds should clear it up...smh). She has also developed a white bump in her mouth, and severe dry mouth, and upset stomach(no diarrhea). Says she feels like she's really full.(Only way she can explain the stomach ache). I'm calling the doctor now. Anyone else have the swollen eye lids, etc??"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: "This is one of the worst experience in my entire life. After taking Augmentin , I had diarrhea for a week, yeast infection, dry red rashes at the palm of my hands and inner thighs, hemorrhoids, exhaustion, blurry vision, increased heart rate which caused me not able to sleep. I WILL NEVER take Augmentin again, worst meds in the world."

duckwai (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "I've had sinus problems for so many years - blocked sinus, headaches, temple pressures, allergic episodes. I couldn't breathe also had sore throat. So I decided to take action for once and got prescribed for a 7 day trial of augmentin, plus 24 hour claritin and nasal spray 2 times of each nostril every 3 hours as needed. The first days where hell because of my bodies reaction to this antibiotic. Since I believe it was due to me never using any antibiotics ever.I got chills, high fevers of 102-104. weakness. bed ridden fatigue. headache. it was horrible (although this could have been symptoms of infection) I started to take Tylenol to control the fever, it was god send (Acetaminophen 500mg). I took 2 tablets every 6 hours which did the trick. But the fevers ended day 4. after everything got better after."

Luis justice 13 May 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Strep Throat: "I was diagnosed after 1.5 days of an itchy, painful throat, giant tonsils and swollen lymphs. I had hot flashes but never a fever. Rapid test was positive so the Urgent Care doc prescribed Amox 500mg one tablet threes times a day for 10 days. I finally began to feel better after day 3. I also developed bronchitis and an asthma exacerbation. Ugh. I stopped the antibiotics on day 8, which was yesterday, just because as a nurse, I'm a bad patient. ;) I didn't have any stomach upset or diarrhea which really surprised me. All is well , just getting the asthma in check with Prednisone."

Purple Hibiscus May 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bronchitis: "I was on azithromycin for 12 days to break loose my deep chest congestion however my body becoming resistant to this drug. I spoke to my doctor, she set me up on amox-clav 875-125 mg. 1 tab every 12 hrs for 14 days. I'm on day 4 and I'm drying out. I feel it not so much in my chest as I do my overall body (sinus, and dry eyes). 10 more days to go. I think this get the job done."

Aces May 12, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin and Structure Infection: "Started taking the medication 7 days prior to surgery and continued for a total of 14 days. Stomach issues began right away but not excessive. Got worse. Stomach cramps (not abdominal), dizziness, sweats, nausea, extreme fatigue. Did it work? No idea, this was a preventative measure and since I was having a procedure that I do NOT want to repeat, I stuck with it. Now it's 48 hours after the last dose and now I have the abdominal cramps and diarrhea. Hoping this doesn't last too long. I will not take this drug ever again. I've lost 15 days of my life so far. I've been through cancer treatment and sometimes the cure is worse than the disease"

Kristie Dog Lover May 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis: "Painful heartburn started after 6th day"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "AVOID, AVOID. I was prescribed this for what was diagnosed as a bacterial upper respiratory infection. Have never had issues with antibiotics before. Yes, it improved my symptoms from the infection....but every day, I had a POUNDING heartbeat in the mornings...and it was causing profound fatigue and weakness every day. Didn't figure it out until after I took it the morning of day 5 and did some research. I STOPPED THAT TOXIC MEDICINE then and there. It's now 48 hours after I stopped it and I still have easy fatigue and palpitations. AVOID!!!!"

JAB in Colorado May 7, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Chest cold w/ post nasal drip for 3 weeks. Been on meds for 4/10 days, 875 mg horse pills. Pros: no sinus pressure, cough lessened, voice back, no chest rattling and can sleep through the night Cons: HUGE pill, slow to resolve coughing Side effects: gas cramps followed by diarrhea in the beginning (but tolerable, like various foods or excess protein does), makes me feel even more drained, frequent urination, mild lower cramps. Method: one mid morning after a meal but with food and water. No dairy. One late evening after supper with bread and water. I think the key for me is a solid meal prior with no dairy, and bread helps. I think if it dissolves before the food, then that's where the gastric issues and nausea come from."

MeC3MR (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Strep Throat: "I was prescribed amox/clav 875 for strep throat. After being on the medicine for 24hours my sore throat was completely gone. I felt so much better immediately, but of course finishing the course with strep is very important, so I continued. The first few days extreme fatigue, to the point of sleeping hours! Day 5 or so, I had night terrors for two nights in a row. The last couple days on it have been ok, still very fatigue and happy I'm done with the medicine. Point is, it is great for strep treatment in my experience but the side effects can be harsh!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I believe you guys are taking the medicine without food on your stomach or not enough. I haven't had 1 of the side effects you guys named. I'm on my 7th day I'm feeling fine. I'm taking it for an ear infection haven't had a flare up since."

Key-I May 2, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I had swollen tonsils but no clear diagnosis (I think it was tonsilitis). This medicine brought down my swelling by day 6, which was nice. I am in my early 20s and had side effects. My chest hurt bad, I was extremely tired, on day 9 out of 10 I had very bad lower stomach pains. This medicine also made me very anxious and gassy. I wouldn't reccomend it simply because of the side effects."

Melibo0101 May 2, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "I had a sinus infection and was put on augmentin for a week. I suffered from horrific headaches. I wanted someone to just knock me out because I couldn't handle the horrible headaches all day and night. My taste was affected as well. Even water didn't taste good. My stomach also affected me and I did take a probiotic. I wouldn't take this medication ever again."

JIS April 29, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis: "I was prescribed this antibiotic for Sinusitis. It caused the worst yeast infection and bowel problem I have ever had. A day or two after I took my last dose, I began to have severe diarrhea with blood and/or mucus in it. I also began to have severe stomach cramps/heartburn as well. I went to the doctor thinking it was something more serious and she did a stool test as well as a blood test. Everything is fine, she said that this antibiotic has a reputation for doing this to people. I am on day 8 of this. She says it could last a while and I just have to stay hydrated and wait it out. I hope it goes away soon. I can't even eat without having to go!!! I've lost about 10 pounds in a week!!! I am so sick of this! Stay away from it!!"

Kerstinn April 29, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis: "I was prescribed this for 10 days for an ear infection, my first 2 days I just felt nauseous but I ate a heavy meal and noticed that did help BUT for the past 3 days I've been having severe headaches and I still have 5 days to go. I think I'm going to stop the medicine it's not worth the pain! My ear does feel better though!"

Freespiriting (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis: "I couldn't even keep it down. I experienced nausea and vomiting so my doctor changed medications. There is no way I could ever use Amox Clav. I was on it only one day and it was one of the worse days of my life."

Kate13100 April 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "Prescribed an 8-day prescription of Augmentin and I would not recommend this poison to anyone else, EVER. I wake up every day with a headache like my head is in a vice and stomach cramps that rival the pain of the sinus infection I went in for in the first place. And yes, I eat yogurt and take extra probiotics. My heart beats like a horses hooves on a racetrack and keeps me up far past any respectable time to go to sleep. I don't feel like myself at all, I'm telling you so you can run far away from this treacherous toxic substance."

Stonecoldsteveaustin April 21, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Within and hour of taking one pill I was in so much pain.... my stomach had me balled up into the fetal position, then severe diarrhea and vomiting began! If one pill can cause so much havoc I'd hate to see what a second one will do(I will never use this med again).....this was hands down one of the worst and most painful nights of my life! My present state is laying on the bathroom floor "

Oh my god!!!!!! (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bronchitis: "I'd been struggling with a very nasty Bronchitis for over 10 days, had been taking useless Amoxicillin to no avail. Switched over to Augmentin Duo Forte and had some much needed relief in only 5 hours. I've found this combo very effective for Bronchitis/Pneumonia and Sinus, which I suffer every April with a change in Weather. Sure you do need to take some probiotics. All good from me."

Strong and Effective April 19, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "Medication very effective for sinus infection, some doctors recommend Omeprazole for the GI effects, it reduce highly stomach pain."

Hillman1 April 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Took medicine for in ear infection. When I was on my last four pills 2x a day I ran into diarrhea. Got switched to plain amoxicillin for my last 4 pills and I have been done with pills for a week now but still have diarrhea going on day 11 and have to submit stool sample to doctor tomorrow to see what's wrong."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017