User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Aspiration Pneumonia 1 reviews 64 medications

Bacterial Infection 50 reviews 170 medications

5.6
Summary of Amoxicillin/clavulanate reviews 302 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate

For Sinusitis: "Have had sinusitis and severe headaches full on for a year. Tried every home remedy available. Finally saw an ENT in March who prescribed Amoxicillin-Clav. I tried for 3 days and the side effects are horrifying. I followed the directions and ate before I took it. Doesn't matter, gas, bloating and nauseous for 3 whole days. Back to home remedies for a while but I am still sick. So I am giving this Amox-Clav another try. I have been throwing up for 3 days. This drug must be very hard on your stomach and liver and would definitely not recommend this if you have to work or have kids to care for."

Sickie123456 September 27, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Don't know what's worse....the cellulitis infection or side effects of augmentin. Headache, gassiness, bloating, stomach upset from day one. Horrible vomiting on day 5. Thank goodness I only have 7 day Rx. Calling Dr tomorrow and will beg not to take last 2 days or switch to something else."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2016

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I've been taking this Amoxicillin penicillin medicine for about 4 days now and I take it every 12 hours I seem to feel a little better after the second day I know I can now breathe in and take full breath it doesn't hurt like it was my chest made me feel like I was having a heart attack but I think that this might be the key to this upper respiratory infection I had gotten from an air conditioner that had black mold in it and it really made me sick but I think that I'm going to continue taking the medicine which was the course of 7 days. I also have not had any problems with diarrhea I do eat drink milk before I take the medicine so I think its okay even though I feel like my stomach is bubbly."

Shantelly (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I had an external ear infection for almost 18 days, on my first check up the doctor prescribed Clindamycin, but that didn't work on me. About 2 weeks later i still have no signs off healing through Clindamycin, I decided to be checked-up again with different doctor (ENT) & I was diagnosed with Chondritis. He prescribed Augmentin 625mg, 3x a day, every 8hrs. and Inoflox, which is also an antibiotic for twice a day. I experienced side effects such as diarrhea that lasted only on 2nd day. I just realized that this side effect are temporary. Now i am on my 4th day on these antibiotics, i can say that im healing and my ear forms back again to its normal size."

Alex Celine (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Taking medication for tooth infection after root canal went wrong. This is my seventh course of antibiotics in a bout three months. Not good! The others were plain old Amoxicillin which hasn't helped at all............ This appears to be helping but with just two tablets left I still have swelling in my gums just below the sinus area. The good news is I have had no side effects apart from diarrhoea and stomach ache on the first day but I think this was due to my taking a load of probiotics which can be hard on the stomach at the start. Halved probiotics to two three times a day and now fine I am sure the tooth will erupt again in a few days though."

Janbo (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "Went in to the urgent care thinking I had strep but found it was a sinus infection. Been using this for 4 days now and I thought it was helping pretty good and the pain had went away some but then now I feel like its going backwards and I keep getting ear and throat pain again but only at night and I seem to feel better during the day time."

ItsAng September 19, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I was prescribed Augmentin 875(?) to be taken twice a day for 10 days to try and prevent infection from a bad cat bite. I did experience symptoms, but because I suffer from IBS it mostly seemed like an IBS flare to me. The looser stools started on day two, but they were not diarrhea. That was it until around day 8 when I bloated like you wouldn't believe. It was all up in my stomach and nothing gave me relief. However, I continued on taking my pills and my probiotics and finished a couple of days ago. The side effects were not pleasant, but they were much less unfortunate than I was expecting after reading reviews. I never got an infection from the cat bite, which normally leads to one in about 80% of people. So, the drug worked!"

Boymama (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2016

For Skin and Structure Infection: "During an emergency my cat bit my index finger. After ~20 minutes I washed the wound w/ hot water & soap, then rinsed with alcohol and applied an antibiotic ointment. The skin around the puncture wound became warm, pink and started to swell 6 hours later. I began the 875/125 mg amoxicillin/clavulanic acid 24 hrs after that. By then the closest joint was aching and the symptoms had spread to the palm. About an hour after taking the tablet, I slowly opened and closed my hand into a tight fist about 15x to increase blood circulation. Within 12 hrs, most of the symptoms had dissipated. The joint was still a little stiff. Puncture wounds from cat bites are serious. See a doctor or start antibiotics at FIRST sign of infection!"

Cat lover, AZ September 17, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: "I started augmentin 1gm twice/day 5 days ago (Wed. Sep. 9th) to treat inflammation in tooth root. the stomach problems started by day 4. Today (day 5) was really bad: headache, stomach pain, pain in my joints and my whole body. I also had a loose stool from day 1. I called my doctor explained the situation and he said I can stop taking it, a minimum of 4 days should suffice. So I took 9 out of a course of 14 tablets. I hope I'll get rid of my whole-body pain and stomach problems soon. So overall experience with augmentin: bad"

noogy (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Very effective on infection but stomach severe pains in the upper stomach had to stop taken it severe dirahea non stop to the toliet may need to see dr now and i stopped taken it an stomach still hurts"

Blackan September 6, 2016

For Strep Throat: "I was given this by urgent care to treat my strep throat. The first day of taking this I was perfectly fine... day 2 I started having severe diarrhea I mean it is coming out all day long like a faucet just so much diarrhea. I literally can not stop pooping. It's day 3 and I think I am going to have to call the DR back... the infection is leaving already which is amazing and it is an amazing drug other than the AWFUL diarrhea. I am eating yogurt too."

Ishkotar (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2016

For Sinusitis: "It's a very strong anyibiotic. If you take it, make sure you also take a probiotic about 3 hours between doses. You shouldn't have bowel issues of you do this. And if your doctor is any good, he/she should be telling you this. Or eat some yogurt. This stuff is powerful on your system."

Stikmi September 4, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I have continued sinus infections and augmentin is the only thing that helps but just had a liver test done and its inflamed so not sure if its augmentin or other meds. Please be aware it can affect your liver months after stopping it. I'm going to try saline nose sprays on a regular basis and stop taking this antibiotic"

Mikes bunny (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 30, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "I took Augmentin starting last week for a sinus infection. The first few days were fine, and I felt relief from the pressure of the infection. However, by day 5, my stomach hurt so badly, and around my body to the back. I could not eat. My stomach was rock hard and I felt so bloated. I could only suffer through day 8. I had to stop. I cannot tolerate this medication, and will never take it again."

Patricea August 27, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "Prescribed a 10 day round for sinus infection in February 2016. Immediately developed digestive issues, cramping, loose bowel movements, gas and bloating. It is now 6 months later and I am still battling the issues. Doctors first thought it was UC, but after colonoscopy now thinks IBD or IBS, maybe Celiac. I'm headed to hospital for additional testing."

KatStevens123 August 24, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "I was prescribed Augmentin 875 mg 2times a day for 10 days... I took it for 5 days and it seemed to be working to clear up the sinus infection but I had to stop taking it because it gave me the worst yeast infection I have ever had in my life. I read someone else's comments about their tongue swelling and having ulcers on it, thus is oral thrush or a yeast infection on the tongue. I had to take 7 days of diflucan and eat plain yogurt to get rid of it. And I had to stop taking the Augmentin. I tried to start back taking it in halves but the yeast infection in my mouth came back. So I had to get more plain yogurt with probiotics to get rid of it. I can not take this medicine."

Marshie August 23, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Strep Throat: "Completely useless medication. Been taking this for 5 days and absolutely none of my symptoms have cleared up. This morning I woke up with a pounding headache and I am about to throw up. Avoid at all costs"

HhhbjkkjhhjB August 19, 2016

For Strep Throat: "Caught my strep on day 1. Was prescribed penicillin 500mg originally 4x daily for 10 days. After two days of antibiotic treatment, my symptoms worsened resulting in a second visit back to the ER in severe stomach pain since I was taking penicillin, Tylenol and Advil on an empty stomach due to not being able to swallow even my saliva. The doctor gave me a steroid called decatrum via IV followed by a pain medicine via IV. The steroid gave me immediate relieve within an hour helping the swelling down. Afterwards, he discharged me and sent me home with Amox-clav 875 and Tylenol 3 with Codeine for pain. The amox-clav was directed to take twice daily for fivedays. I'm onmy second doseand I feel a majordifference but severestomachache constipation"

Giovannie August 19, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Sinus infections have controlled my life for about 3 years. After trying many antibiotics, a specialist had me try this antibiotic. I have used it 4 times and it has always worked while also taking prednisone. Using steam as a decongestant has also been a big help. If you have a sinus infection, I highly recommend this drug. From reading the other reviews I am fortunate to not have any side effects. So use with caution the first time."

Bookie72 August 19, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Oh my god. Worst experience ever. Though I had food poisoning I have been on and off of the toilet at least 7 or 8 times within 5 hours at work with extreme, awful diarrhea. It is making me want to cry it is so awful. I can't drink water, I already threw up for about 13 minutes and my stomach is hurting like no other. DO NOT TAKE THIS ... TORTURE"

Bellchachalo August 18, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "I was prescribed Augmentin for a sinus infection. Worst medication experience of my life. I never get headaches, and after just three doses I had the worst headaches. My head throbbed. I couldn't sleep. My vision was impaired. I had excruciating stomach pains. I was far sicker than I was prior to going to the doctor. I will never take this horrible medication again. Beware of the side effects if you do."

Forever Anonymous August 8, 2016

For Sinusitis: "sinusitis every year for the past 5. Its the only med that has worked. Had tried other antibiotics to no avail. the infection and side effects used to last 2 to 3 months. taking amox clav licked in 10 days. Had a couple of side effects but nothing major."

billz July 31, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Strep Throat: "Had severe infection and fever the meds helped me , I had become resistant to azi , was given 1000mg with steroids to get me back on feet , hiccups followed for 6 days"

axat July 29, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I get sinusitis a few times a year and this works the best out of all meds! After being sick for a week on a different antibiotic my Dr changed to Augmentin I feel better already and it's only day 2!"

Anonymous July 29, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: "Took it via IV for five days in hospital for diviculitus infection,temperature dropped in a day and inflammation decreased. But had to take two more courses after being discharged to fully clear the infection I found the sickness and nausea very harsh and felt very weak when on it,surprisingly it didn't upset my stomach Side effects cleared very quickly a few days after stoping it,I would rather take this than the dangerous alternative cipro.So would probably take again even though the side effects were difficult"

Andy Perkles July 26, 2016