User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Aspiration Pneumonia 1 reviews 64 medications

Bacterial Infection 47 reviews 169 medications

5.6
Summary of Amoxicillin/clavulanate reviews 277 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Otitis Media: "I had a swollen gland under my palate due to an ear infection & was give a 7 day Rx for this drug. I ended up stopping with 2 days to go. I have severe itching (feels like bugs crawling on me) yeast infections including in my mouth, severe diarrhea, nausea, heartburn, lethargy & no appetite. It has been 3 full days since I took this vile drug & I am still losing weight. I am now down 10 lbs and it shows no signs of slowing down."

Anonymous July 25, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "As a sufferer of many sinus and ear infections, I knew with this 90 degree heat in ACs with poor air quality that I was going to get sick. Got sick last Wednesday with sinus issues, got worse so went to primary. Dr said didn't think I had a sinus or ear infection so told me to continue on netty pots and Sudafed 24. She did give me a prescription if I wasn't feeling better by Monday (today). After a weekend still feeling miserable, got prescription. Usually I get amoxicillin, and when looked at the script, it had amoxicillin clav so I didn't think anything of it. I pick up the script. Take pill on way to work. Sick within an hour. Googled and found was given generic of Augmentin. Never again! Threw up for an hour straight - not worth it!"

KAB1234 July 18, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "Took Augmentin for severe sinusitis, after 2 hours started vomiting it would not stop, rushed to medical centre, given an injection to stop the vomiting didn't work, vomiting continued until only bile and blood was coming out, then given Zofran wafers finally the vomiting subsided, but the stomach and chest pain continued all night. Worst experience :("

Bankstown July 12, 2016

For : "I had this prescribed to me by my dentist following dental extractions and implants. I'll be finishing the 10-day treatment tomorrow; it has been horribly painful in many ways. a) the severe diarrhea was finally dealt with by taking 50B probiotics capsules with real plain bacterial-cultured yogurt at each meal. b) for the mind-blowing headaches, I'm still cycling between aspirin, acetaminophen and ibuprofen 3 tablets every 6 hours; none work well continuously. c) other side effects such as dry mouth, itchy nose and slight burning sensation while urinating are merely a slight distraction compared to the diarrhea and headaches. I hope I had started with another antibiotic. Good luck!"

Paul A. July 9, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I have Emphysema, because I worked in a school swimming pool, and therefore was in contact, with Sodium Hypochlorite--which is Chlorine in it's neat state---. At a routine medical was found out to be deadly allergic to Chlorine, and so had to leave the pool. Living life with Emphysema, is hard. Augmentin--or Co-Amoxiclave as it's known by in G.B.. which is where I live, but find U.S.A. web sites more giving with easier to understand articles. As I said C.O.A.D. is hard to live with and I get frequent chest infections all year round, but find Augmentin is the all round Antibiotic for me, as I don't get any side affects, so maybe I'm one of the lucky ones that way. It is easy to take, and very easy to break in half, if you find it big ."

Lynda McEachran (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Prescribed after repeated ear infections and the last cold that turned into a sinus infection. Felt better by the second day and sinuses opened up. I did have a bout of diarrhea on day 2 but had had soft bowels prior to starting this medication, so I cannot be certain that it was from that. I took Pepto Bismol tablets throughout that morning and did not have it again. I did feel tired, had a slight stomach ache as if carrying around a brick the first few day, feverish/chills but not really as well as somewhat sedated and "out of it" but not unable to function. I was glad to come across this Web site on day 2 of my treatment. I alleviated the side effects by taking with Greek yogurt, a probiotic pill, a full glass of water, and a starch."

Mrs Wiggins (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "This was for an animal bit that might cause infection. Its a horrible medicine, late period due to the medicine. Horrible diarrhea and vomited one morning. I have been very moody and tired. I will never take this again if I can help it! I quit taking it after 4 days I couldn't handle it any more. And for some reason I feel like I have something in my throat. Oh and my anxiety is out of control!!!"

Shadi09 (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I was perscribed amoxicillin clavulanate for a sinus infection with no symptoms only extreme pain in my face, pressure in my head, and in the back of my neck every single day for about 10 days, xray showed i had build up in my face, so doctor perscribed amox clav 500mg twice a day for 10 days. after day 6 i started developing tingling and numbness throught my entire body, my skin senses are gone , i cant feel when i scratch my skin or pinch it, my feet are tingling every day and hands feel extremely numb and cold, i dont reccomend this medication to any one ot ruined my nerves in my body and senses , please ask for another medication , this ruin my feeling forever !!"

Antibioticsgirl June 28, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Day 8 of taking this for just another sinus infection. Have had horrible, HORRIBLE side effects. My body felt extremely strange, tingly almost. Nausea has been so bad I had to take a pregnancy test to eliminate that possibility. I did vomit today for the first time in years after a whiff of cleaning products. The infection has improved but if you have a sensitive stomach - I don't advise. I did notice improvement (on nausea) on days I consistently chugged water (emphasis on chugged) and took the dose while eating."

05sousaj June 22, 2016

For Sinusitis: "It's working but I am quitting. I was told by the doctor that the clavulanate could trigger gastrointestinal side effects. Should have been my first clue. I have IBS and I'm emetophobic. I took my 5th pill (of 14) and within 15-20 minutes I was in agony. I had diarrhea the morning before, but wrote it off on the IBS. It should have been a warning. Crippling stomach pain, gas, massive headache, and more diarrhea. Had an anxiety attack and had to take a Xanax. Calling my doc in the morning to get off of it. And yes, I was taking the pills with food, probiotics, etc. They didn't help me."

Anonymous June 17, 2016

For : "I was prescribed this medication for a abcess tooth.horrible experience, after a hour of taking this medicine i became extremely nauseous and my stomach totally flipped. it did help my tooth, but i feel i substituted one problem for another :("

RedHead69169 June 16, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "I am at the end of day 3 of the medication and I can't do it anymore. The side effects are making life miserable, just in a different way than I started with. I went in because of the headache and congestion that would not respond to anything over the counter plus vertigo. The vertigo went away after the first day of meds but the headache is significantly worse. Additionally, my stomach hurts really bad and constantly feels like I have overeaten a mass amount all the time, whether I have eaten or not. I have also has some mild diarrhea. So not worth it for me!"

CaliPoppy June 16, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: "As advised by doctor take with probiotics - took one pill 830 (1/2) apart then around 1100 started throwing up for over an our then got diarrhea - guess I didn't have enough food on stomach - will not complete dosage."

Spoutrun June 10, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "Augmentin knocks out sinus infections faster and better than any other medication I've tried. Eat some greek yogurt while taking it and you won't have any stomach issues."

Blancabell (taken for 10 years or more) June 4, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Bad bad diarrhea i wouldn't give this medication to my anyone. It cleared up my sinusitis but gave me strait diarrhea for 6 days strait that's the only side affect i had it was terrible."

Anonymous June 4, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I took this for a sinus infection and not only did it not work but after I stopped taking it my face was so swollen it looked like I had gotten onto a fight. My face is hot and feverish next time I'm staying away from doctors!"

Chehaliswa June 2, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Going on day 3 of taking this medication; twice a day.I have seasonal sinusitis accompanied by severe pharyngitis (not strep), headaches, ear aches, and fever. Oh and by the way, I've either been breastfeeding and/or pregnant for the last 3 years! So far, the throat/ear pain (which were the worst of my ailments) went away within 24 hrs, my congestion cut by half, and headaches/fever, gone instantly. No side effects to speak of. Maybe a slight change in stool consistency but that's to be expected with antibiotics. As for my breastmilk, the trace amounts my baby is getting thru breastfeeding actually helped HER congestion! Killin two birds with one stone.. "

Sinusitis & breastfeeding (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I am a 52 healthy 4 days a week workout no health problems at all in my life. Have this medicine for 4 days and sent me to the hospital for 4 days. Chills High Fever, body ache and an infection I previously did not have before: c Diff and a bloody eye. If this medicine do this to a healthy woman I cannot image what would do to somebody not that healthy"

Previouslyhealthy (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "DO NOT TAKE AUGMENTIN! I am healthy (run marathons-no pre-existing cond.) & never take meds. I was prescribed this for headache (after vehicle accident) and a little sinusitis at Onpoint. I was so sick & after 5 days (my heart starting hurting, lost all healthy bacteria (worst diarrhea & stripped stomach lining) had fiery red rash after 10 days all over my body! It took 2 wks for the rash to go away after I got off Augmentin. My body systems have never been same!! destroyed them.THIS IS TOXIC tell your doctors too). If you MUST take antibiotic use something safer. Also, my husband (really healthy) didn't quite believe me. He was prescribed it he was flat on his back/couch vomiting & couldn't MOVE after 2 days! he stopped immediately"

Anonymous May 19, 2016

For Skin and Structure Infection: "I had this boil on my leg and my doctor gave me this, It worked really good for the first three days on the forth day after I burst the boil I was faced with excessive bleeding I bleed for more than 5 hours that I begin to fear if I no longer have any Thrombocytes left in my blood, It was midnight I can't go to my doctor, I was so lucky enough it's just a small opening so I decided to lie it with and wait for morning, Before I woke up in the morning it's all fine"

Shylock (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Awful side effects. Baby was super cranky with your infection and now she's even crankier due to the diarrhea, loose stools and severe redness in diaper area caused by this antibiotic . With just amoxicillin alone this was not an issue."

Mom of baby (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2016

For Sinusitis: "after getting a sinus infection I was prescribed this medication ate before I took it and within an hour and a half had a severe headache complete nausea with stomach cramping I was in a horrible mood fell asleep for an hour with a pillow pulled into my stomach woke up feeling better I regret having to use again strong medication major side effects here it works great so I'll try and get through this pray for me"

skysbluenblack (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2016

For Bronchitis: "It worked for my broncitus but gave me diarhea & yeast infection. I felt better in my chest, worse in my pants. I forgot the last time I was on amoxicillian I also had diarhea. Not taking it again, will ask for something else."

IsabelKitty (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2016

For Sinusitis: "It seems to help but I had a side effect that was unexpected and before I say this I am being totally for real about it. I had normal side effect of nausea but then a strange one. I became aroused and turned on very easily. This is not a normal thing for me either. Not that I am complaining just think its weird. Anyone else have this happen???"

AllieBug33 (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Strep Throat: "So, got another strep infection. Haven't had one in a couple years. But you can always tell because you get fever and chills (like seizure shaking), pain when you swallow, and my tell-tale sign--dragon-hot Fire breath. Anyway, checked my throat out and it was bright red with white spots, patches of pus. I went to urgent care on my lunch and sure enough rapid strep test positive. I was prescribed augmentin 875 twice per day for 10 days. I just took my third pill and I already feel so much better. Wish I hadn't have waited 2 days."

Nurse Kate (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2016