User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

5.2

Bacterial Infection

Summary of Amoxicillin/clavulanate reviews 5.7 575 reviews

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "I was prescribed this from the hospital for sinusitis. I’ve been on all types of antibiotics in my life and this stuff is HORRIBLE. Woke up this morning convinced I was dying. Anxiety, panic attacks, tarry stool, chest & back pain, side pain, chest tightness, abdominal cramping, diarrhea, pale, dizziness, headache. I could go on all. Stopped dosage and heading to PCP tomorrow to figure out what’s going on now."

HateAug (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "I took this drug for a bad abscess tooth and sinus infection. I took the probiotic pill and ate a lot of yogurt. It worked very well for me. The diarea was minimal. I only had small amount 2 times. I took Imodium 2 times in 10 days. Today is day 11. Two teeth removed and I'm done with the meds. I read some not so good stuff but if you take as prescribed and ALWAYS take a probiotic and eat lot's of yogurt you should be just fine. As for bowel movements they weren't normal but nothing to worry about. Now they should return to normal."

Mary (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2019

For Sinusitis: "I went to an ENT and the camera she ran up my nose and into my throat indicated I had a sinus infection. It was a great relief as I had been to my family Dr. a few times and she said there was nothing she could see and I was left feeling ill. ENT gave me 3x 500 for 21 days. Seemed very excessive I thought. She did prescribe Sandoz-Rabeprazole as it reduces any side effects. I have had no nausea or bowel issues however on day 8 I feel worse than ever. I am anxious, sad, had to take a leave from work because I am lethargic and cannot focus. My vision is blurry and my eyes are dry. So glad to know I am not alone. Going to my GP tomorrow to see if she can do anything."

iamsan (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2019

For Sinusitis: "I had a really bad sinus infection. I went to the doctor and was prescribed Amoxi/Clav. 875mg/125mg for 14 days. The first couple days were okay, but by the third day, I was constantly in the bathroom with endless diarrhea. My stomach started to churn and burn. I had intense body aches and joint pain. I started to have black green stool, and my sinuses and chest were still producing green yellow phlegm. I stuck it out for a few more days. But, eventually I went back to the doctor to tell them I couldn't do it anymore. The doctor told me I might have bleeding in my bowels, because they were so irritated. I was so freaked out, I had an anxiety attack. But, now reading others reviews I realize the anxiety could be from the medication. The doctor gave me Clarithromycin and the whole thing cleared up in two days."

Mark (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Otitis Media: "First, let me start by saying that I don't really do well with antibiotics. I was diagnosed with Lyme disease in 2005 (positive blood test), and I've had autoimmune issues ever since. For some reason antibiotics tend to make me feel really bad, but there are times when I'm left with no choice but to take them. So...I was diagnosed last week with a severe ear infection. Ruptured eardrum, draining ear. Anyway, I had to take an antibiotic and this was the one prescribed. I was prescribed this at 1000mg/2 times per day. First and second day I felt a little run down, but attributed it to the infection. Pretty much the same with the third and fourth day, but a little more intense. By the 5th and 6th day I literally felt like I was losing my mind. Felt super weak, anxious, and panic attacks galore! Today was my 8th day on the medication and I literally almost called 911 tonight! My heart was beating so fast, legs were super weak, head was spinning...just felt horrific!"

ANicole February 12, 2019

For Bronchiectasis: "This is my 'take on a holiday' antibiotic and being a broad spectrum drug it has helped me time and time again where sputum tests have not revealed the culprit thereby causing me to be short of breath and unwell with bronchitis. I suffer both severe chronic asthma and now bronchiectasis."

Gooly (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 8, 2019

For Otitis Media: "I got this antibiotic for about 5 days. For the first days I didn’t feel anything. On the 3rd day or so, I started to have a metallic taste in my mouth. On the 4th day, I began to develop diarrhea. The doctor prescribed me 10 pills and to take them 12 hours apart. I finished the antibiotics and I still have diarrhea. I hope that my gut flora will return back to normal. I can’t eat anything normally."

Daniela Daisy February 4, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Small Bowel Bacterial Overgrowth: "I took Augmentin for a second episode of diverticulitis. The first time around (two years ago) I took Cipro and Flagyl which felt like a controlled forest burn of my intestines. Augmentin was MUCH easier to tolerate. I second those who’ve suggested taking it with probiotics. This makes all the difference. I took one or two probiotics about 2 hours before and also 2 hours after each dose. Definitely take it with a large snack or meal. Experienced only some mild indigestion about 30 minutes after taking it. My symptoms started improving around day 3 with continued improvement. For probiotics, I took a broad spectrum one with multiple strains plus a high powered version of Florastor. I was terrrified of taking Augmentin after reading all the reviews but dove in with the proper supports because there was no way I was going back to the Cipro combo. Good luck and I hope it works for you!"

R. (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "I will never and I mean never take this medicine again if I see the doctor say amoxicillin clavulanate I'm running for the hills. It gave me vaginal itching ( vaginal yeast infection). It is horrible. I had diarrhea - I pooped till I couldn't poop anymore. I'm done taking this. "

Nicknack paddywack January 30, 2019

For Skin and Structure Infection: "Didn't work for me at all for a tooth infection. Took as prescribed for 4 days, ended back up in ER at 3:00 am due to severe swelling near eye/nasal cavity. The ER Dr. said give it more time but I ended up having an emergency dental visit at dentist office. Switched me to regular Penicillin, pain and swelling almost immediately went down. Was gone in 3 days with Penicillin. This stuff was very poor for my tooth abcesses. Didn't help with pain or swelling, just made me feel like garbage for 4 days. Penicillin is definitely the way to go for a Tooth abcesses. No side effects with Penicillin, just relief."

Kenster (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2019

For Strep Throat: "It seems to be effective against the strep infection. My low rating is due to the fact that it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to swallow a chalky pill this huge. I made the mistake of not looking at the prescription (stapled in the sack) when I picked it up from the drive-through window. I would have definitely asked my pharmacist for something else had I known this was what the doctor ordered. I really hate ANY pill is made this large. Despite the recommendations not to crush it....I must to be able to swallow it. And I am sure a replacement would not be free. Too late to change now."

Jac (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2019

For Sinusitis: "The first day I took this drug I was okay. Then the 2nd day I just had a pounding headache. Now I’m on the 3rd day and I still have a headache and severe upset stomach / nausea. I still have 7 more days left :("

T (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "I'm on day 3 out of 10 of Augmentin 875/125 twice day for a sinus infection so far haven't had any serious side effects, however I'm starting to experience loss of appetite, drowsiness, diarrhea, and dizziness within the first 2.5 hours of taking a dose. It is also causing insomnia, but I take a sleeping pill and I'm fine. Other than that the medicine is working great I'm feeling better already (I can breathe again, my head doesn't feel like 100lbs! pressure is inside it) it is a very strong antibiotic so if you take it be sure to drink PLENTY of fluids, get lots of rest and try some yogurt for the abdominal cramps from the diarrhea it seems to help for me!"

savvy (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bronchitis: "Horrible allergic rash that is still visible two weeks later"

S (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "I was giving this by ER doctor for sinusitis. I took the first dose at ER then didn't get a chance to fill the prescription for a week. Was still feeling a little bit ear congestion from sinusitis so I grabbed it. First pharmacy dose gave me non stop diarrhea and severe nausea like my stomach was going to explode. So now I drink probiotic yogurt with full meal. Took 2 more times not as bad but constant anxiety. Had to stop as felt worse when taking it. Head congestion pretty much gone though I just decided to take Mucinex and I feel like that has helped even though still dealing with it a bit. Never taking it again."

Baby (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bronchitis: "I don't know how effective this is but I do know that every time I take this I get so nauseous, bouts of diarrhea and am really gassy. It goes away after about 2 hrs but totally not worth it. Will be asking for something different."

IzzyBear (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2018

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "Experienced severe insomnia 5 days into to the treatment. When attempting to sleep, I would be jolted awake with a surge of adrenaline. Quit treatment 8 days in. People need to know that antibiotics kill good and bad bacteria and that gut and mood health are linked."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2018

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bronchitis: "Knocked out in short order a bad case of Bronchitis. Coughing jags that were out of control stopped within the first 24 hours. Now on eighth day of meds and feel human again. Only side effect was slight diarrhea ."

Bill E (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "Day two of seven. Prescribed this medicine for a sinus infection. Seemed to help relieve the pressure in my face, jaw and ear that was extremely painful prior to taking starting the treatment. I have noticed that after taking each pill that I get extreme chills and my body feels like I have flu like symptoms. Not a really good trade off honestly."

Jug (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2018

For Sinusitis: "This explains so much. My body is aching, can’t sleep, no appetite and diarrhea . My arm goes numb and tingles. NEVER AGAIN! I thought I was about to be with the Lord!"

Nina (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2018

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I been taking amoxicillin/clavulanate for 10 days, today is my last. After the third day of taking this my legs were very sore, I couldn't walk right & spent 3 days limping. I started getting bumps that looked like a rash on both my lower legs. The doctor had me finish the pills and gave me cream for the “rash”. Anybody else have this problem? I'm really curious because the rash look more like bites and I'm very scared."

Spanishbrat (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2018

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: "Prescribed Augmentin fairly frequently for diverticulitis (as I suffer from autoimmune neutropenia too I am on a lower threshold for treatment as risk of life threatening infection is high). I always feel better after two days but that's when the gates of hell open and the side effects knock me out completely. If I don't take in enough fluids my kidneys feel like they'll explode, I feel so incredibly weak and lifeless, it gives me a constant headache for the duration of treatment, nausea, no appetite, diarrhoea, intestinal pain worse than what it's supposed to treat, and it causes my emotional state to deteriorate severely - I can't stop crying and feel so very stressed, agitated, and anxious. "

Bean (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2018

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: "ER doctor prescribed this 2x/day for 10 days for colitis, believed to be caused by a bacteria. The only side effects I've experienced is nausea, with the first two doses. Otherwise, no other issues. Three days down, seven more to go..."

Jillyn31 (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2018

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I took the 875/125mg every 12 hours for 10 days for walking pneumonia, upper respiratory and sinus infection. Side Effects: fuzzy feeling in my head, dizziness and lethargic. Also had bubbling in my stomach and diarrhea. I want to share some helpful tips that were suggested by my pharmacist: 1. DO NOT take this on an empty stomach. That is a recipe for disaster as this will destroy your insides. Please do yourself a favor and have a hearty meal before taking this. Carb it up with some bread/pasta so there is something in your tummy before this medicine comes in Gladiator Style to battle the bacteria. 2. Hydrate! Taking this with water is SO important! Drink at least a bottle of water after taking the pill. 3. Take a supplemental Probiotic. I also ate a container of yogurt. 4. I read in a review to eat chocolate while on this. Had some M&Ms after the pill. DK if it helped, but it tasted great and made me happy, so to each their own."

Anxious Ally December 13, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "Currently taking this for bronchitis/early pneumonia. Had diarrhea, but it got better after a day or two. The med is def doing its job in killing all the garbage in my body associated w the infection. Normally I have great energy, this is my 7th day of the med and I feel as though I am exhausted constantly, feel like I’m wrapped in a warm soaked heavy blanket that I’m dragging around with me. It’s a side effect, I’ll continue to tough it out. It’s better than when I was sick and coughing constantly, lungs and chest so sore and red I was miserable. It’s killing bad bacteria in your body, your body is then getting rid of it with sweat, and normal bathroom functions so to be a bit off or frequency increase to me is a good thing. The tiredness thing gets to you, but don’t just go off the med and have the bacteria come back in some super form. Call your doc, try and tough it out, don’t just stop taking"

Irish John December 7, 2018