User Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate

Also known as: Augmentin, Augmentin XR, Amoclan

Amoxicillin/clavulanate has an average rating of 5.3 out of 10 from a total of 760 ratings on Drugs.com. 39% of those users who reviewed Amoxicillin/clavulanate reported a positive effect, while 41% reported a negative effect.

Sinusitis
Bronchiectasis
Summary of Amoxicillin/clavulanate reviews 5.3 760 reviews

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate

Alex May 1, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Overall bad feeling after first day. Did not help even took 2 courses Got tinnitus and renal colics after Amoxiclav. I still have tinnitus a few months later. Don't recommend Probably better to have amoxicillin without clavulanate acid. Tried doxycycline and bactrim earlier - much better! And attention, I tried Levofloxacin as well. Never take Levofloxacin and never fluroquinolones. Side effects - depressive disorder, neuropathy, pain, erectile dysfunction etc So, better to take tetracyclines, bactrim probably”

x34 April 29, 2021

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Pneumonia: “I had deep bronchitis or pneumonia. Took the medication from an online doctor. Showed great results right away for a week. (prescription: 2 tablets twice a day for 2 weeks). So I decided to go out for just an hour to the library and then I got chills followed by a high fever so I continued to take the medication but did not work so doctor suggested Azithromycin 6 pack I don't see much improvements in my fever by 2nd day. Taking these two medications now as my doctor wants me to complete it!”

Sneha · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2021

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: “Prescribed this medicine for ear infection. After taking 2nd dose, feel. Like swelling near double chin area. Tightness and stiffness of chest. Two days I couldn't sleep because of shortness of breath and feeling like choking while sleeping. While inhaling feel like something is kept on my chest. Anyone can suggest?”

HoosierAnna March 6, 2014

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: “Had a nasty sinus infection - my entire head seemed locked in a vacuum-grip of pressure, snot, and general awfulness. I felt dizzy, exhausted, irritated, and I think it even began to affect my thinking. I thought it was just a common cold but nope, the real deal. Augmentin 875, 2x/day for 10 days seems to have cleared it out, mostly. BUT HERE'S THE KEY, FOLKS --> Take a good probiotic every morning, about 3 or 4 hours before you take the first dose of Augmentin. Then, when it's time to take your Augmentin, take it with a LOT of food, and take it after the first or second bite of your meal. You'll get through it, and may it heal you as it seems to have healed me. No side effects for me, and I'm one sensitive, hypochondriacal mess normally!”

Sonya · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: “I started taking augmentin and had a panic attack that very night. I had never had a problem with anxiety or panic attacks. I had my medication changed. Later on, I got another sinus infection, and was told that augmentin couldn’t have given me a panic attack so I decided to listen to them and give augmentin another try. Well guess what, another panic attack. Those were two of the most scariest experiences of my like. I couldn’t breath, I was trembling, chest pounding. Doctors need to listen to patients more and not think that they know everything about a medication just because research hasn’t shown it yet.”

Di · Taken for less than 1 month March 19, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: “After taking other antibiotics a couple of times over the last 12 months for sinus infections, I finally had a deep sinus infection which seeped through the top jaw and around a tooth. It had apparently been building up over time. I had just started Augmentin 875/125 when the periodontist found this. Before that I had tired completed 3 courses and all infection pain in my sinus, jaw, neck and shoulder have gone. After 12 months of trying physio, massage, nasal sprays, washes and antihistamines, as well as the odd antibiotic, Augmentin has been my saviour. It began to clear everything l didn’t even know was part of the infection within 3 days and the continued improvement has been unbelievable and surprising. No side effects at all, if l take at the start of a meal, although l have felt pretty tired. Brilliant drug!”

e · Taken for less than 1 month April 4, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: “I am still having severe vagina pain 9 months after taking this very horrible drugI I have tried so many different things, can someone out there please help me! IT HAS BEEN A HORRIFIC NIGHTMARE THAT HAS RUINED MY LIFE!”

Danjo · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: “After being on a course of Augmentin I have had diarrhea two weeks it’s mushy brown and I pass stools up to four times a day. The hospital tested my stool said it was because the antibiotics and that my blood was okay. So I dunno what happened but I guess the augmentin got rid of all the good bacteria in my gut. I guess it takes time anyone else have this problem?”

katt0103 July 25, 2014

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: “This medication worked to clear up my sinus infection but gave me BLINDING, and I mean BLINDING headaches to the point where I couldn't even move my head without wincing in pain. That was the only side effect I experienced though. My guess is it's a pretty strong antibiotic and can affect everyone differently.”

Sarah · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “amoxicillin with clavulanate has been the best treatments for my re occurring UTI! I get about 6 a year and this is by far the best medication to treat it. Fast results, and not left with horrible side effects like other antibiotics.”

GS · Taken for less than 1 month January 23, 2021

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: “Taking Augmentin 875/125 2x daily prophylacticly to prevent infection from deep puncture cat bite. 5 days in there is no sign of infection, and everything appears to be healing fine. So, it seems to have potentially prevented infection. But wow, did it make me feel awful. Brain fog with difficulty focusing mentally and visually. No energy. Lots of nausea, lack of appetite, and generally feeling out of it. Diarrhea occurs without enough fiber. As other have said I think it's increased my anxiety significantly. Haven’t had any panic attacks for a long time, until this beauty. I’m not sure I’ll ever know if it prevented an infection or not. I do know that it caused me to feel like absolute crud!”

Just Me · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: “I took augmentin for sinitus and ear infection. Gave me a little gas. The first dose caused upset stomach, but I didn't take it with food then. I took it with food after that and felt fine. To combat the loss of good bacteria, I took a probiotic pill 2 hours after taking it and have not had issues. Drink lots of water, take with food, and finish the prescription. It's no better or worse than any other antibiotic I have taken before.”

divinetrust January 30, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: “Everyone's system is different. What you have to do is take probiotics, I drink kefir, 4 hours after you take the augmentin. This and plenty of water, will help most people. Always always always eat plenty of food with augmentin, and always take probiotics in intervals, to replace the good bacteria. Do not take them at the same time, else you will just kill the probiotic good bacteria”

Jbirdy · Taken for less than 1 month March 23, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: “I really like antibiotic so far. I was on Cipro before for the same infection and that made me feel nauseous and dizzy. With Augmentin, I feel fine as if I am not even taking an antibiotic. Lots of negative reviews on here so it just shows you that everyone has a different reaction. Just know if an antibiotic makes you feel really ill that you should call your doctor right away to switch and should not keeping taking something that you can't tolerate.”

Danny · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: “After taking this drug for 2 days I had uncontrollable anxiety and ended up in the emergency room with a blood pressure of 190 over 100. This drug has caused panic attacks and anxiety. I will never take it again”

Blah · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2018

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: “It blows my mind that so many others are on here, telling people NOT to take this medicine. WHY?! Just because it didn't work for you/gave you a reaction, doesn't mean it won't help the next person. Had I listened to these negative comments, I might've never known the wonders this has worked on me. Long story short.. I've battled a horrible infection in my gums/jaw for a longtime. I was on penicillin, amoxicillin, clindamycin, etc! NOTHING helped at all. Finally landed myself in the ER, and was given augmentin. I was skeptical as nothing else had worked on this infection. Needless to say, I took as prescribed. Ate a meal at the start of ever dose, had yogurt after every dose as well. And it worked amazing for me!! Day 2 infection was finally gone! No harsh side effects, no stomach upsets etc. I truly believe if you've taken this with food and yogurt as you're suppose to, you'll be just fine.”

AzCorals May 16, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “Omg, so I'm on amoxicillin/clavulanate for a tooth issue. I'm going through my 4th pair of bottoms today! 1 pair of shorts, 3 pyjama bottoms! I have had to hand wash diarrhea out of my shorts 4 times now! It's 2 am and my stomach is still gurgling. I'm afraid to go back to sleep cause I woke up this last time to pooping in my shorts and on my bed! The other times I was awake at least. I have an abscessed tooth root that spread to my face. It's Friday night, looks like I'm stuck til Mon. I might have to do a tele-health appt. with Urgent Care to get just plain penicillin tomorrow. Only good thing is my facial swelling went down a little.”

Christine · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: “I was recently prescribed Augmentin 875 mg two times a day for 10 days for a very severe upper respiratory/sinus Infection. On day one, I had pain in my head, some sweating/chills, lethargy and stomach upset. Day two. I had bad diarrhea, anxiety, nervousness/agitation, sweating/chills and some Tiredness. Day three I had all of the above as well as developing one hive on my right arm after my evening dose. The medication helps my sinus infection, but the side effects are troubling. I do not feel good for at least two or three hours after taking this medication.”

tnarmyman February 2, 2014

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: “I took this medicine for a sinus infection. Worked great for that but the side effects for me were unbearable. On day 7 of the medicine I had the worst stomach cramps that I have ever had and diarrhea. Sleepiness was a constant, slept all day and night. Had no desire to eat at all. Had chills, cough, fever, severe headaches, irritability, heartburn and greatly decreased frequency of urination. ”

CJ · Taken for less than 1 month May 8, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Urinary Tract Infection: “I have had recurring UTI’s and have tried just about ever antibiotic and nothing else has helped me. Cephalexin did nothing and I am allergic to Bactrim. Cipro caused me to have severe tendinitis in my Archilles tendon. However I am doing well on Augmentin and can put up with the loose stools as I started feeling better by day 3. Taking a Probitrinol probiotic is helping me as Florastor did not work for me. Drink plenty of water and get lots of rest. Not all medications work for everyone so trial and error will work the best.”

Melani June 5, 2011

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Urinary Tract Infection: “I was on Augmentin twice a day for 7 days. I thought I would have diarrhea and cramps, headaches all the fun stuff with antibiotics but all that happened to me is about 2 hours after taking it I found myself VERY sleepy which it was bedtime anyways. Just try to take it 2 to 3 hours BEFORE bed so it won't upset you stomach while you are sleeping. Also what really helped me is drinking Dan Active yogurt so I get no diarrhea while taking it and it works well but I also was taking Culturelle (Probiotics). That AND the yogurt helped with diarrhea very well. ”

Works fast but as a female... · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: “I was prescribed Augmfnyin 875 twice a day for a severe sinus infection and just after two pills (one day) I could see light at the end of a dark stuffy congested tunnel...I began feeling much better almost immediately but a side effect that almost subways happens to me with antibiotics....I got a yeast infection! My doctor told me that this is common because an antibiotics job is to kill bacteria all whether good or bad....these include bacterial that naturally occur and are normal in the vaginal tract so my doctor usually prescribes something for a yeast infection. Other than that taken with food I did not have any side effects and feel much better..it's amazing how quickly it works. After being miserable for days, I'm very happy!”

Kris · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I just finished a 5 day course of 500mg amoxicillin/clavulanate every 12 hours for a reaccuring UTI that I had for more than a month. I took 2 courses of macrodantin and 1 course of bactrim only for it to come back each time 2 day's after stopping the treatments. I had no problems at all with this one. Absolutely no side effects and I was able to take it on a completely empty stomach. I love amoxicillin/clavulunate, finally cured my rUTI.”

Pfrogmore · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 30, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: “I tend to get sinus and ear infections...and upper respiratory infections. Augmentin is the only thing that really clears it all up. It typically takes 2 to 3 doses before I start feeling like I am heading in the right direction. So within 24 to 48 hours I tend to be feeling better. Not like death - which if you haven't experienced a truly painful ear infection as an adult...well...you're lucky. It is awful. Augmentin does have some side effects, typically some stomach upset. Be sure take it with food and drink plenty of water. However, I will deal with it as it is a heck of a lot better than dealing with the pain of double ear infections, sinus, and upper respiratory issues. I have taken this antibiotic on and off for last 5 years.”

Cody · Taken for less than 1 month January 3, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: “The medicine works but watch out for the GI side effects. Go to your supermarket in the dairy section and buy the probiotic yogurt drink Yakut. It comes in a pack of 5 1oz bottles. Drink one bottle each AM and continue for 3 days after stopping Augmentin. You will be free of diarrhea, nausea, and GI side effects. It works!!”

Davidvond · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2020

For Sinusitis: “Idk why so many people hate this drug. It has cured me so many times. I never had that diarrhea at all, maybe it is smoother lol, but all good. I know everyone is different, but with me 2 thumbs up works every time !!!”

Nana · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: “2 hours after taking the first dose of Augmentin my son started vomiting every 5 min for 2 hours straight. It got to the point where it became so violent he started vomiting blood, which I saw was indeed a side effect of the drug. I had to take him to the ER to stop the vomiting and get him hydrated. It was a nightmare! Next day he had the most severe diarrhea he's ever had. All with just one dose. He did take it with food.”

Jem · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: “I took my first Augmentin pill at 1pm after eating a burger and at 5:30pm. I threw up after having severe nausea and headache. I went to after hours at 6:30pm and they gave me medicine Zofran and then a shot for nausea and said not to take any more that I was having a side affect to it. It did not help and I threw up 3 more times when I got home. Last time was 2am. I do not recommend this if you have not taken it before. It has been a horrible experience.”