User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Aspiration Pneumonia

Bacterial Infection
4.8

Summary of Amoxicillin/clavulanate reviews 6.6 479 reviews

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate

For Sinusitis: "I was prescribed this med for a sinus infection. It was the worst medication I have ever been prescribed. Strong stomach pains, unable to sleep, really awful headaches, total loss of appetite, diarhea..but the worst side effect is that it made all food taste horrible...even water!!! I didn't attribute this to the med until I read some of the other reviews. I immediately went and dumped the prescription down the toilet. I had been taking these pills for 8 days now and have not been able to eat in 8 days....they are gone!!! I think that now I will be starting to feel a lot better!!!"

Ms L February 20, 2018

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I took it for a resp/sinus infection. I'm on day 5 and feel about 75% better. Still have yellow phlegm, but not as much as 5 days ago, sinuses are still clogged 50% of the day now. Using flonase and Tylenol as needed. The pills taste absolutely yuck, leaves an aftertaste as bitter as anything I've ever eaten. Takes about an hour to go away. Side note: Augmentin is not a "cure-all" It takes care of quite a few infections, but remember, the negative reviews you see here are from people who aren't responding to it. That means 1 of 2 things: You aren't taking it correctly or you're infection is something outside the spectrum that augmenttin can't cure. Now, the best thing to do would be to run cultures, but those cost a nice penny. So, it's just easier to start you on meds because it would most likely cover the organism you have. NOT EVERY infection is the same. Take all reviews w/ a grain of salt."

ricosiko (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "A lot of people have provided reviews that seem quite concerning. However, for a bladder infection amox/clav works wonders after the first day. Suggestions include but are not limited to: 1) drink a lot of distilled water 2) drink cranberry juice 3) incude a little apple cider vinegar 4) stay away from processed sugars 5) use flushable unscented wipes 6) bath in warm water and epsom salt"

Friends Family February 17, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "Started taking 24hrs ago. Last 12hrs have been having consistent, and strong heart palpitations. Like my heart is about to jump out my chest. Cannot sleep through the pounding. Has also brought on my anxiety condition, but it could be the heart rate triggering that. If I'm still like this in the morning, I'm taking myself back to the doctor. This does not feel right at all."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2018

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "Day 5 and my sinus congestion is as bad if not worse. Had a fever on day 2, chronic headache despite drinking a gallon of water a day. Ruptured my eardrum Day 2 blowing my nose after using the neti pot my doctor insisted I try (never again!). So now I’m not supposed to blow my nose. Every other antibiotic I’ve been on started clearing up my symptoms within 2 days. As a teacher it’s next to impossible to be effective while sick like this. I have sinus and ear pain and tooth pain to contend with on top of lethargy and chronic headache. So for me Augmentin has been ineffective. Never again."

Kvaughn0719 February 10, 2018

For Skin and Structure Infection: "I was prescribed this before getting a dental procedure done. I took 2 doses (875 mg), 12 hours apart. The first day, I experienced an unusual tingling, best way I could describe it would be like little bugs all over my body. I also experienced stomach discomfort, mostly on the right side. I woke up the next morning to bouts of watery diarrhea. I stopped taking it and contacted my physician. I've never had a reaction to regular amoxicillin but haven't taken antibiotics in decades."

DMarrria February 9, 2018

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Pneumonia: "It effectively put me in the hospital with c-dif a month after. Could of died. Not happy with this drug. As it killed every bacteria and the good bacteria too."

Antown February 8, 2018

For Bronchitis: "I had pneumonia 2x in one year for the first time in my life (75 years old). Amoxicillin/Clavulanate was the only antibiotic that addressed my pneumonia, after trying other antibiotics. Now I have bronchitis, and have been living with an undiagnosed sinus infection for months. I started taking Amoxicilin/Clavulanate 6 Days ago and it seems to be taking care of my bronchitis and sinus infection. This has been the only antibiotic that has worked for me to treat pneumonia, bronchitis, and sinus infections! I am grateful!"

Aditaleh (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "I told my doctor I was sensitive to meds. He gave me this anyway for sinus infection and cough. After 2 pills, stomach cramps and diarrhea. Can't eat anything without diarrhea . My cough is worse and I couldn't sleep last night because of hyperactivity. I am stopping the med immediately."

Boobop January 26, 2018

For Sinusitis: "I had a mild orbital fracture close to my sinuses so I was given this medicine to take for seven days. While on this medication I felt extremely ill, slight stomach pain, diarrhea maybe once, night sweats, extreme fatigue, sore throat, stiff neck, and itchy skin. After taking all of the medication it took days for my body to recover and for me to feel normal again."

Sick and Tired for 7 days January 22, 2018

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "6 weeks after stopping this. I still have nausea and exhaustion"

Photowonder (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2018

For Otitis Media: "I hate this antibiotic. I’m experiencing the worst ear aches I’ve ever had and I get A LOT of ear infections. I got this medicine for a boil on the skin that became infected and now I’m having to deal with horrible ear pain. I would much rather have kept the boil, it’s that bad. And this for some reason is used to help ear infections??? I’ve been on it for 3 days and twice a day and have a 10 ten supply"

Julianna1436 January 15, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "My little one had an chest infection and she has been prescribed this for 7 days. She developed black tongue and brown spots on her teeth. So after 2 days she was switched to peniciline. But surprisingly after first dose she was coughing less and her temp. went down. Since she has been born she had always soft stools and eczema. After this antibiotic her stools and skin got much better. I think it made some changes in bacteria in her gut. And as I read in totally other way than in other people."

Anonymous January 9, 2018

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Otitis Media: "I had ear infection, the dr. gave me augmentin didn't help at all."

mos tzar January 8, 2018

For Sinusitis: "After 4 days of using this drug I feel 90% better. I am combining this with morning Neti pot for relief, and tea and bed rest! And Vick’s vapor rub at night on my sinuses and chest, it is still really nice! Really, this sinus infection has been with with me for awhile and I was too stubborn to go to the doctor! Please don’t do that stubborn thing! I had clogged ears for months and difficulty hearing. I even had a severe sinus attack on an airplane flying overseas. In hindsight it’s ridiculous not to get meds when needed! This is helping me tremendously. I do not have any side effects. I am taking 1 tablet every 12 hours of 875-125 mg . Yes, highly recommend."

SEGJ January 7, 2018

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "I took Augmentin for Sinusitis and have been taking since 8 days that makes it 16 tablets and I still haven't noticed any side effect due to it. No diarrhea, no headache and no any other side effects that are usually described. In 8 days, my pain is reduced to 70% as I now need only 1 pain killer tablet through out a day (before this, I was taking thrice a day). I'm also taking steam and using Saline Nasal drops."

jaribhai (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2018

For Sinusitis: "Last Saturday (Jan 30, 2017), I started taking this medicine. First dose was at 12p.m. and then at 8p.m. By Sunday morning, I was feeling nauseous. I took my three doses that day, because the sick feeling was just on-off so I attributed the sickness to one of the meals. By 10p.m. Sunday, I was so nauseous I went to sleep. It was the worst night ever. I threw up so much and so many times, it felt like even my soul almost went down the toilet. Next day (Monday 1/1/18), I was convinced it was the medicine so I didn't take it. I was nauseous all day, sipping on water hoping it wouldn't come up. By Tuesday morning I felt better and was able to start eating again. I will never in my life take this medicine again."

IsabellaVT (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2018

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Otitis Media: "It made me throw up, dizzy, stomach ache and pale skin on first dose. I have a double ear infection. I did not gave any of the symptoms prior to taking it. I only had extreme pain in ears."

Double ear infection. January 3, 2018

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Small Bowel Bacterial Overgrowth: "After two years of very helpful regiments of xifaxin my insurance will no longer cover it. My gastro wants me to take augmentin, back to square one. She must have forgotten that before the xifaxin I took augmentin and my symptoms would worsen with higher levels of bacteria that would spread. No No No!"

Sadder December 26, 2017

For Strep Throat: "Worst experience I have ever had with any medicine. I was prescribed this for strep throat. On the first day I was fine, but by the second day I was so extremely nauseous that I couldn't even stand up. Had some, but not a lot of diarrhea. I continued to take it because I thought it was just from where I was sick. Today is the fourth day, I woke up and felt not myself. I explained to my husband it felt like I had taken some hard drugs and was having a bad high. I was feeling so sick and light headed, I vomited multiple times today. And had diarrhea. I have decided to quit taking this medicine. It's Christmas eve and I can't feel like this in the morning. Hope I don't anyways! Never taking this again, especially after reading similar stories!"

Lou-who (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Hi I just wanted to share my experience to put some people's mind at ease about taking this medication. Before I started I read all the reviews which completely freaked me out and I was terrified to take them but had no choice in the end as my UTI was progressing and getting worse after a week with bad kidney pain. I started them last night with absolutely no side effects yet and already feeling better. I slept all night last night without the need to go to the toilet as previously. Please try to read the really bad reviews with a pitch of salt. I have been taking them with a meal which I think has helped and also probiotics to protect my gut. Just wanted to share a positive experience of this drug."

Lou Lou341983 December 16, 2017

For Bacterial Infection: "I was prescribed Amoxiclav twice, both times it was 875/125 pills twice daily for 10 days. It helped with symptoms of infection both times. But the 2nd time, I had very bad side effects: dizziness, loss of focus, heart palpitations, derealization. I even hallucinated a couple of times. Not sure what went wrong. Clavulanate can penetrate blood -brain barrier and do stuff inside. But the 1st time, I was fine."

Tarragon83 (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2017

For Kidney Infections: "I went and seen my doctor for a kidney infection but she prescribed me medicine I didn't want to take after reading some of the horrifying side effects from the medication. Thank God I had a bottle of Amox-clav I started taking it and so far I'm feeling a lot better and don't have to worry about the scary side effects some people have trouble with taking Amox-clav but I'm so far I'm not having any issues its helped me in so many ways for once I'm not hurting when I have to go to the bathroom. These antibiotics are a real life saver"

Shycat (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "Was put on this for an ear and sinus infection. By my second day I was having bad stomach cramps, excessive bowel movements, some diarrhea, nausea, body aches, joint pain, fatigue, brain fog, nerve tingling in legs and feet, Constant headache, also I began spotting on my second day and it was one week before my period was due, this never happens, I spotted until my period started. I have three more days left and I feel worse than I did before I started it. My ear isn’t completely better yet either, my sinuses have cleared up some but not all the way. I called my dr and he said he is hesitant to change my script as my infection was/is so bad, asked that I just push through side effects. Never again!"

Yoda’s Angel (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2017

For Sinusitis: "I was given Augmentin for a sinus infection that I had been dealing with for over a week. I was prescribed 2 pills a day for 10 days. Taking 1 pill was enough for me to know that I never want to put Augmentin into my body again. I took it right after eating a full meal, but that didn't help. About 45 minutes after taking my first pill I was curled up in the fetal position with horrible stomach pain and chills. I also experienced extreme panic and anxiety. My heart was racing and I was having crazy thoughts. There's no way I could get through 10 days of that, it wasn't worth the way it made me that night. Everyone is different, but I'd strongly suggest asking for an alternative if your doctor tries to prescribe it to you."

Aren5629 November 25, 2017