User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Aspiration Pneumonia 1 reviews 63 medications

Bacterial Infection 74 reviews 171 medications

4.9
Summary of Amoxicillin/clavulanate reviews 439 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate

For Strep Throat: "Dr thought I had strep just by looking at my throat and felt like I was swallowing glass, so I got 500mg amoxicillin 3x/day. Within 24hrs I could swallow again and fever went away. However, I am now on day 5 of this medication and have pretty bad nausea, a raging yeast infection and frequent loose stools, and the abdominal cramps are pretty bad. If you're on this, start taking a probiotic or yogurt immediately! I'm not playing around!"

Woahhhhh (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I lasted 6 days on this. 2 pills every 12 hours. I had severe stomach cramps but it wasn't diarrhea. Eating helped a little bit with the vomiting feeling. I drank a lot of water as I felt dehydrated. I experienced insomnia everyday up until 6 am. Sleeping only 5 hrs a day maybe even 4 with an hour nap. My skin became very itchy and broke out in hives on my elbows and upper arms. My lower back and ankles also broke out in hives. The headache is just so bad...within the first dosage I had the headache immediately. I feel better from my ear infections, throat, nose and eyes...but the hives are still there..follow up with Dr asap."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Strep Throat: "In 2015 Aug my Doctor prescribe me Augmentin 625, for 10 days. After completing this course my strep throat problem was gone but I haven't been able to sleep for several months, sweating, feel like body is shaking and nightmare. Next 6-month acid reflux with too much burping with lots of air comes out and stomach cramps and problems with throat and colon and time to time ear pain. I started treatment like GARD, IBS. but my health becomes poor, even my immunity power goes down. In next 6 months, I stop all drugs and start taking healthy diet and regular exercise, I feel better and better."

Omee79 September 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Took this for 10 days after a cat bite got infected. Noticed hyperactivity during the course, but it was two days after I finished the course that the real fun started - fatigue, head fog, inability to do anything, weight loss (three kg in four days!), really bad insomnia (unable to sleep until 5 am), unable to stomach anything except carbs. After a week of this the nausea started, so that I couldn't eat anything without debilitating nausea. Headaches too. Am still in it after two weeks. Treating myself with ginger tea for nausea, slippery elm, probiotics, dandelion leaf and root for liver, lemon water, vegetable juices. I will never take this again."

catbite September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took amox/clav for three days, then spent the next ten days with a rash over every single inch of my body that itched 24 hours a day. Got rid of the UTI, but I couldn't leave the house for over a week - couldn't stand clothes on my skin. The only thing that helped was scalding water, so I showered several times a day when the Benadryl would wear off. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!"

calf (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "After taking this for 3 days for a UTI infection, my vision was so blurry I could hardly read. I called the doctor and he changed my medication and in a day the blurriness went away. I don't know if the medication works, but it scared me that my vision was going and stopped it right away."

byn (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed 250/125 Augmentin 3x daily for a bad UTI that was turning into a kidney infection and hadn't responded to Cipro. The fatigue, fever, and chills are bad enough with a UTI, but add Augmentin and it amplified it by 10. I have been in bed since I started taking it two days ago, I can't stop shaking and my joints feel like they're going to explode! Not to mention the vivid, hallucenenic type nightmares and the constant feeling of paranoia and feeling on the brink of a panic attack!! If you have anxiety like I do DO NOT TAKE THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE TO!!! I had a mental breakdown about taking another dose as I don't feel I can handle these side effects much longer. 9/10 would not take again, doesn't seem to be helping the infection"

NeverAgain94 (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "This med was given as a result of a deep gouge from a dog nail. Healing was not occurring after 4 weeks including a trip to a ambulatory care. My doc said they treated it incorrectly. He prescribed this. I have an appointment at the wound center Tues. Dr also said it needed debriding. After 5 days I see no improvement. If anything the area is more red and sore."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "Had such a bad sinus infection that my right eye and face was swelling. Got 875 Augmentin twice daily. On day 2 and swelling stopped and I can see out of eye. Sore throats and nose running because my sinuses are now draining! No GI or side effects. Love it so far."

Vicksterama386969 August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Clav rarely works for my sinusitis even though docs love prescribing this one. I used this for my ludwig's angina swelling on the chin. Now my sinusitis is coming back! I noticed Biaxin works best. Try that one guys!!!"

Sinusitis King (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Strep Throat: "I vomited violently all night after taking side around 7 p.m. A month later we thought we'd try again because the doctor didn't believe it could be from this medication. The same thing happened! Miserable!"

Missy2642 August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Went in for an ear infection. It cleared it right up but on the seventh day got SEVERE cramps and was running to the bathroom every five minutes. Will NEVER be taking this again. So hard on the stomach. Had to leave work! So much pain ruined a couple days for me"

Anonymous August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "Where to begin. First of all I didn't even need to be prescribed antibiotics as it turned out to be a viral infection (went away on it own) and the doctor didn't even test first to check, so she prescribed me amoxicillin clav acid. Took just the first one and all heck broke loose within 2 hours. I got an extreme burning pain in my stomach and throat. Felt like the worst acid reflux I ever had. Threw up shortly after. I didn't take anymore after that. Update to a month later, my bronchitis had cleared up on its own, but I had been getting what felt like acid reflux almost everyday since I took the antibiotic which was strange for me. I checked in with a different doctor and he said I had an ULCER. THIS ANTIBIOTIC DID IT. (Negative for H Pylori)"

RememberHealthCareIsAnIndustry (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I have used this medication for 25 years because of my bad sinuses that keep getting infected. I had been using it with almost no side effects until this last time. But now that I have joined the 50+ club I am see uncomfortable side effects. Right now I am on it I feel like garbage, I am tired, pale, chills having stomach upset and started to to get tingling in the face after 4 doses. I feel more stuffed up that I did before starting this. If I still feel like this on the next dose I am stopping it .I feel worse than before I started it."

MDL255 August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Otitis Media: "So far its slowly working for my ear infection. The pain has lessened but still have mild pain. I'm on my 4th day. Hopefully in 6 days the ear will be completely healed. There are some minor side effects I have noticed. Particularly some joint pain but it is not bad and mild. Maybe a little nausea in my stomach too, but very mild. I'm just happy my pain has lessened in the ears. I took the augmetin generic for Amoxicillin/clauvantic acid 875mg twice daily for 10 days."

dikeee (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I was prescribed amox-clav 875mg 2x a day for two weeks for infected adenoids in my sinuses. I had not been taking it with a full glass of water but had been taking it with an early afternoon and late evening meal. Doctor also prescribed Prilosec to be taking with it once a day. From start I noticed a little bit of nausea with extreme fatigue on days 2 & 3. On day four I woke up feel great assuming I slept better because the medicine must have been working. However two hours after lunch I had severe nausea and stomach cramps and burning along with severe diarrhea. Took 6 tums and the Prilosec earlier than normal and ate a lot plain crackers. Burning lessened just a bit. This medicine has awful side effects. Need to call doctor."

Is it worth it? (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Hello..I want to share my experience. I was in the ER for ear pain. I got prescribe Amoxicillin/clavulate because I had an ear perforated...it was Friday evening and ENT was already closed. For two days I was feeling heart palpitation and my chest tight, but I thought maybe because am sick with an ear rupture. Monday I went to my Dr. at the ENT they took my vitals and my pulse was at 98 (my pulse is always at 80) and because my mind was not all there didn't think of the medicine. I went ahead and did some research and its my meds...am so glad that my ear was fine, what they saw at the ER was an old scratch. I stopped taking the medicine and feeling much better..hopefully this is help somebody whos going thru the same thing."

Ale06 (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: "I started Augmentin on Thursday morning because I had typhoid. My doctor insisted it will clear it and make me feel better. Since Thursday, I have experience extreme diarrhea, nausea, and body pains. I wake up 8 -10 times during the night to vomit and stool. Both happens simultaneously and as at this morning of the fourth day, I feel like I might never get better. I am going to stop it. I have no more strength to even puke or sit up. I can't lie on my belly or back either and my two sides are aching seriously due to the constant support"

Teebhanks (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin and Structure Infection: "Twice taking this antibiotic following oral surgery with bone grafting for dental implants, I subsequently contracted a fungal sinus infection. The first time I had sinus symptoms and the second time no obvious sinus symptoms, which made it hard to diagnose. Both times I got a daily pattern over 6 hours of headache followed by anxiety/irritability followed by cognitive dysfunction as if I were drugged or severely sleep-deprived. Because the second time was without nasal symptoms, it was hard to diagnose and daily pattern continued for 3 months. Once diagnosed, I took the anti-fungal drug, amphoterisin prepared as a nasal spray and I was cured of symptoms in one week. Amox may clear natural sinus flora setting the stage for fungal infect."

fungalZombieAnt July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "In Jan and now was prescribed this rubbish, twice no results and end up getting real amoxicillin. Both times I got this one I felt like my symptoms worsened two fold after 4 days on this. My diagnosis, Pansinusitus . I've never heard of this before, apparently it's the mother load of sinusitis involving infection in all 4 sinus. I had no fever, no nasal congestion, just severe fog and major headache and really large swollen glands under my Jaw, ears and neck all around. I'm so delirious I thought Sherlock was a made up word and laughed hysterically when someone mentioned it. Needless to say, this antibiotics doesn't do anything!"

Ifeellikedeath (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Have ear infection, which was not cleared by the Amoxycillin, which had no side effects. But problem retuned. Dr said use the Augmentin. Chemist gave me generic brand Alphaclav Duo. Took first (and only) Tablet with lunch, and about 4 hours later the vomiting started. It must be the Clavulanic Acid that is the issue, as the Amoxycillin was OK. Called Dr, who said stop taking it. I just hope the vomiting stops soon, as I feel awful."

LavenderHill July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I have my 5th sinus infection of the year (2017,) which caused my ear drum to rupture. My doc prescribed me a 500 mg dose, twice a day. Antibiotics in general upset my stomach and should be taken with food, so I made sure to take with a large meal. The one time I didn't was in a rush to get on the road for a trip, and I was nauseous the entire ride, but tums helped A LOT. The infection has cleared up quickly and my ear is draining a lot less fluid out. This has been able to do what four other antibiotics haven't. Take with a full meal, and you will be feeling much better soon!"

mysinuseshateme (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Otitis Media: "I'm not sure if I'm the only one with this problem. But after taking this antibiotic for an ear infection my throat started swelling up and I was having shortness of breath and weird chest tightness. I stopped the mediation right away, eventually the throat swelling went away but I'm still having shortness of breath 3 days later. I would not recommend this medication."

mike899 July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "I will never take this drug again. I was prescribed a 10 day/twice a day dose for a sinus infection. I took one pill. Within 4 hrs of taking the pill I was experiencing fever like chills, tingling, nerve pain in my feet and restlessness. I had nightmares and a terrible night's sleep. The worst part is the headache I can't shake and the extreme fatigue. My head feels like it's in a vice. I've done nothing but sleep all day -- only moving to take Advil which barely touches the headache. I just assume suffer through the sinus infection rather than experience the past 24 hours on this drug."

Birdy53 July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: "I was prescribed augmentin for a dental infection/tooth abscess. When I went to the dentist, I had already been on 3 or 4 days of penicillin. The penicillin didn't seem to be clearing the infection, and the dentist couldn't get me in for a root canal for another week. There the augmentin came into play. The first dose I took on an empty stomach (couldn't eat with my throbbing face). So I had some nausea and just figured it normal. The next dose I took with food, as directed. I puked viciously. I took another dose or two and had similar results... so much nausea and vomiting, it was hard to appreciate the fact my face wasn't throbbing. So it works well on infections, hard on the stomach though."

whooaanelly (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017