User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Aspiration Pneumonia

Bacterial Infection
4.9

Summary of Amoxicillin/clavulanate reviews 6.6 451 reviews

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "So today I started Augmentin & I’m 18... so after I took it, I felt light headed & very nauseous. Like so nauseous I was burping a lot. I haven’t made a Bowel movement since I’ve taken it so I don’t know for I have diarrhea.? And my stomach just HURTS. Should I stop taking it?"

LeahBae November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I have always had bad sinusitis this time it lead to my ear, nose, throat and eyes. I had to do something I was prescribed Augmentin 875 mg bid 10 days. (I received Amox/Clav). It has not cleared anything up and not to mention tonight I have severe nausea and thrush. Luckily I have a prescription for nausea on hand. I do not recommend this medicine."

Dr. Davidson (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I received the medicine as a result of sinusitis diagnosis.Thank goodness.Once I observed that the dosage was 875mg every 12 hours it made sense that diarrhea was probably going to be eminent.I knew it was going to clean out all of the healthy bacteria in my intestinal tract.Sure enough after the first dose I got the diarrhea side effect. I immediately got a probitotic from my vitamin store to replace the healthy bacteria in my intestinal tract.It worked immediately and counter acted the side effect. I don't know why doctors don't tell you that you are going to need a probitotic with 875mg.I definitely made sure I ate with this medicine.I have been so happy after day 3 because my energy level came back and I can tell the mucus issue is less"

Tuff Tony (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Strep Throat: "First it is a good medicine for sore throat and cough.. along with sinurest and nasal decongestant. I have taken azitromicin previously it takes 15 days to cure sore throat..but augmentin will take only 4 day to cure along with as I said previous drugs"

Kanthkum (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Had a nasty infection in an old root canal that had spread into my sinus. Yes, I've had a headache for the past 4 days. Yes I generally feel like rubbish, BUT, it is kicking out of an advanced infection so I'll take that over settling for something that may or may not work. Suck it up."

Boomer61 November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "Treated for Bronchitis and sinus infection. Spent a week and a half with little to no sleep because of the horrific cough. When I fell asleep I'd wake up drenched then was freezing cold. When I blew my nose nasty bright yellow discharge would appear. I finally saw a doctor who prescribed me augmentin 875/125. I took one pill the first day and by the second day my cough was so much better. Got two more pills in before bed the second day and slept like a baby that second night. I could tell it was just knocking it all out of my system! Two more days left of the antibiotic and feeling near 100%!! Very happy with the results of this antibiotic!!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "I was prescribed Augmentin 875 mg every 12 hours 2 days ago . Today ( after 4 tabs) I began to have diarrhea and stomach aches . I was prescribed this drug because my indoor cat got loose outdoors and scared and scratched my hand and bit me. I am a senior lady who has had a blocked intestine before and after surgery got C Dif and am afraid to continue this drug as I may have a re occurrence. I'm stopping the dosage tonight and will see the MD tomorrow.I want off this drug! Oh, the reason I had C Dif was because I got Salmonella in the hospital and was given so much IV antibiotics."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "This Rx is good, took my sinus migraine away for the first time in months. But the stomach and dizziness side effects suck. But it could be worse. I'm not sure whether or not to finish the bottle"

Milo Yaqui Warrior (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "This is a strong and multi purpose antibiotic. Yes you will get stomach pain, yes you will get loose stools and yes you get some other form of discomfort. But if you want to rid your upper respiratory infection quick and for good then this is the drug. No pain no gain. This drug almost guarantees that the original infection will not return. When it comes to sinuses you need to destroy all off the bad bacteria for good. Just reducing the bacteria with a mild antibiotic that agrees with you is certain to allow the same bacteria to grow and make you sick again a month or two in the future. Tough it up butter cup and destroy that bad bacteria for good."

Colddesertsnow October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "Prescribed 2000mg spread over two tablets a day for sinusitis. Lasted 2 days on the medication and had to stop. Severe nausea and wretched, general ill feeling, incredibly upset stomachs with excessive bowel movements, to the point mucus was being passed. Thrush and exposure to further infection resulted. Doctor took me off them with immediate effect and being put on something else tomorrow."

Mcgmjp October 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I took a single tablet. Within 1 hour I experienced the worst vomiting I had had in decades. Sadly, this had been a very effective drug for me in the past. I'll never take it again."

Hard "Harr" Harr (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for : "I'm only on my 3rd dose, but this is the first day in over a month that I have not had severe gastrointestinal pain/constipation/diarrhea, etc. I actually feel pretty good, but weak. First med was Cipro and that was a nightmare even though I've taken it before with no problems. Had to stop halfway through the 10 days. I was switched to Levofloxacin(Levoquin) and by the 3rd day of 5, I was not feeling human at all. I was just deathly ill and pain increased. Yesterday I was given Augmentin 500 twice daily for 10 days. Took the first pill last night, 2nd this morning. I feel human again so far! Time will tell. I'm just hoping I get none of the bad side effects. Already treated a yeast infection earlier this week from the other meds."

Houstonmommy October 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I was prescribe this medicine for sinus infection. I thought I had taken it before, but maybe not. I started it on a Wednesday evening with the first dose to be taken every 12 hours. I believe it was the next day I started feeling nauseated after taking it. Saturday I was headed out, so grabbed my pills so I could take them after eating something. I got so nauseated I thought I would not make it back home, just a really bad ill feeling. By Friday evening I had diarrhea that has last into Sunday. I think I'm done taking this and will call the doctor tomorrow for something else because I also have a cough and the two don't mix very well."

MYH October 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Strep Throat: "Dr thought I had strep just by looking at my throat and felt like I was swallowing glass, so I got 500mg amoxicillin 3x/day. Within 24hrs I could swallow again and fever went away. However, I am now on day 5 of this medication and have pretty bad nausea, a raging yeast infection and frequent loose stools, and the abdominal cramps are pretty bad. If you're on this, start taking a probiotic or yogurt immediately! I'm not playing around!"

Woahhhhh (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I lasted 6 days on this. 2 pills every 12 hours. I had severe stomach cramps but it wasn't diarrhea. Eating helped a little bit with the vomiting feeling. I drank a lot of water as I felt dehydrated. I experienced insomnia everyday up until 6 am. Sleeping only 5 hrs a day maybe even 4 with an hour nap. My skin became very itchy and broke out in hives on my elbows and upper arms. My lower back and ankles also broke out in hives. The headache is just so bad...within the first dosage I had the headache immediately. I feel better from my ear infections, throat, nose and eyes...but the hives are still there..follow up with Dr asap."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Strep Throat: "In 2015 Aug my Doctor prescribe me Augmentin 625, for 10 days. After completing this course my strep throat problem was gone but I haven't been able to sleep for several months, sweating, feel like body is shaking and nightmare. Next 6-month acid reflux with too much burping with lots of air comes out and stomach cramps and problems with throat and colon and time to time ear pain. I started treatment like GARD, IBS. but my health becomes poor, even my immunity power goes down. In next 6 months, I stop all drugs and start taking healthy diet and regular exercise, I feel better and better."

Omee79 September 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Took this for 10 days after a cat bite got infected. Noticed hyperactivity during the course, but it was two days after I finished the course that the real fun started - fatigue, head fog, inability to do anything, weight loss (three kg in four days!), really bad insomnia (unable to sleep until 5 am), unable to stomach anything except carbs. After a week of this the nausea started, so that I couldn't eat anything without debilitating nausea. Headaches too. Am still in it after two weeks. Treating myself with ginger tea for nausea, slippery elm, probiotics, dandelion leaf and root for liver, lemon water, vegetable juices. I will never take this again."

catbite September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took amox/clav for three days, then spent the next ten days with a rash over every single inch of my body that itched 24 hours a day. Got rid of the UTI, but I couldn't leave the house for over a week - couldn't stand clothes on my skin. The only thing that helped was scalding water, so I showered several times a day when the Benadryl would wear off. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!"

calf (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "After taking this for 3 days for a UTI infection, my vision was so blurry I could hardly read. I called the doctor and he changed my medication and in a day the blurriness went away. I don't know if the medication works, but it scared me that my vision was going and stopped it right away."

byn (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed 250/125 Augmentin 3x daily for a bad UTI that was turning into a kidney infection and hadn't responded to Cipro. The fatigue, fever, and chills are bad enough with a UTI, but add Augmentin and it amplified it by 10. I have been in bed since I started taking it two days ago, I can't stop shaking and my joints feel like they're going to explode! Not to mention the vivid, hallucenenic type nightmares and the constant feeling of paranoia and feeling on the brink of a panic attack!! If you have anxiety like I do DO NOT TAKE THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE TO!!! I had a mental breakdown about taking another dose as I don't feel I can handle these side effects much longer. 9/10 would not take again, doesn't seem to be helping the infection"

NeverAgain94 (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "This med was given as a result of a deep gouge from a dog nail. Healing was not occurring after 4 weeks including a trip to a ambulatory care. My doc said they treated it incorrectly. He prescribed this. I have an appointment at the wound center Tues. Dr also said it needed debriding. After 5 days I see no improvement. If anything the area is more red and sore."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "Had such a bad sinus infection that my right eye and face was swelling. Got 875 Augmentin twice daily. On day 2 and swelling stopped and I can see out of eye. Sore throats and nose running because my sinuses are now draining! No GI or side effects. Love it so far."

Vicksterama386969 August 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Clav rarely works for my sinusitis even though docs love prescribing this one. I used this for my ludwig's angina swelling on the chin. Now my sinusitis is coming back! I noticed Biaxin works best. Try that one guys!!!"

Sinusitis King (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Strep Throat: "I vomited violently all night after taking side around 7 p.m. A month later we thought we'd try again because the doctor didn't believe it could be from this medication. The same thing happened! Miserable!"

Missy2642 August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Went in for an ear infection. It cleared it right up but on the seventh day got SEVERE cramps and was running to the bathroom every five minutes. Will NEVER be taking this again. So hard on the stomach. Had to leave work! So much pain ruined a couple days for me"

Anonymous August 14, 2017