User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Aspiration Pneumonia 1 reviews 63 medications

Bacterial Infection 71 reviews 171 medications

4.9
Summary of Amoxicillin/clavulanate reviews 420 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate

For Sinusitis: "In Jan and now was prescribed this rubbish, twice no results and end up getting real amoxicillin. Both times I got this one I felt like my symptoms worsened two fold after 4 days on this. My diagnosis, Pansinusitus . I've never heard of this before, apparently it's the mother load of sinusitis involving infection in all 4 sinus. I had no fever, no nasal congestion, just severe fog and major headache and really large swollen glands under my Jaw, ears and neck all around. I'm so delirious I thought Sherlock was a made up word and laughed hysterically when someone mentioned it. Needless to say, this antibiotics doesn't do anything!"

Ifeellikedeath (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Have ear infection, which was not cleared by the Amoxycillin, which had no side effects. But problem retuned. Dr said use the Augmentin. Chemist gave me generic brand Alphaclav Duo. Took first (and only) Tablet with lunch, and about 4 hours later the vomiting started. It must be the Clavulanic Acid that is the issue, as the Amoxycillin was OK. Called Dr, who said stop taking it. I just hope the vomiting stops soon, as I feel awful."

LavenderHill July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I have my 5th sinus infection of the year (2017,) which caused my ear drum to rupture. My doc prescribed me a 500 mg dose, twice a day. Antibiotics in general upset my stomach and should be taken with food, so I made sure to take with a large meal. The one time I didn't was in a rush to get on the road for a trip, and I was nauseous the entire ride, but tums helped A LOT. The infection has cleared up quickly and my ear is draining a lot less fluid out. This has been able to do what four other antibiotics haven't. Take with a full meal, and you will be feeling much better soon!"

mysinuseshateme (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Otitis Media: "I'm not sure if I'm the only one with this problem. But after taking this antibiotic for an ear infection my throat started swelling up and I was having shortness of breath and weird chest tightness. I stopped the mediation right away, eventually the throat swelling went away but I'm still having shortness of breath 3 days later. I would not recommend this medication."

mike899 July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "I will never take this drug again. I was prescribed a 10 day/twice a day dose for a sinus infection. I took one pill. Within 4 hrs of taking the pill I was experiencing fever like chills, tingling, nerve pain in my feet and restlessness. I had nightmares and a terrible night's sleep. The worst part is the headache I can't shake and the extreme fatigue. My head feels like it's in a vice. I've done nothing but sleep all day -- only moving to take Advil which barely touches the headache. I just assume suffer through the sinus infection rather than experience the past 24 hours on this drug."

Birdy53 July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: "I was prescribed augmentin for a dental infection/tooth abscess. When I went to the dentist, I had already been on 3 or 4 days of penicillin. The penicillin didn't seem to be clearing the infection, and the dentist couldn't get me in for a root canal for another week. There the augmentin came into play. The first dose I took on an empty stomach (couldn't eat with my throbbing face). So I had some nausea and just figured it normal. The next dose I took with food, as directed. I puked viciously. I took another dose or two and had similar results... so much nausea and vomiting, it was hard to appreciate the fact my face wasn't throbbing. So it works well on infections, hard on the stomach though."

whooaanelly (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Otitis Media: "I have chronic ear problems and ear infections. I had on ear drum rupture and the other had fluid behind the ear drum. I am no stranger to antibiotics. It's day 7 and my stomach started rejecting the antibiotic so I missed a dose. I just got some activia and I am going to try to finish the med. My ears have cleared up for sure though. I can hear great it really cleared out any infection. My sinuses feel great too. I honestly think 7 days is enough for this med especially if you get a super strong dose but I want to finish it I don't want ear infections to come back. Take with milk and buy some activia yogurt for sure."

Earlady (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "Don't ever use this, When I was 4 years old I was sick and the doctor give me augmentin. It effected me in a negative way, I used to throw up, pee (urninate) with blood, my skin was very pale and my eyes were yellow, and it caused me severe liver problems."

Nadaxx June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Strep Throat: "Wasn't entirely sure I had strep throat, no fever (but I never get fevers), but sore throat for 5 days, getting worse, couldn't swallow without extreme pain, doctor did strep test, was negative, but she said there were other strains of strep that the test didn't cover, was also concerned that sore throat was worse. Within 12 hours of taking first dose, my throat was much better and soreness was completely gone after 24 hours. Side effects however, were hard to live with I have been dizzy and extremely tired . Decided to stop after 4th day of taking because it would be hard to go back to work on this med."

random 6 (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "For acute maxillary sinusitis. Day two, just taking the third dose already feeling better. The pain in my sinus is much diminished. So far I am very pleased using this product."

Frank E. June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took Amox Clav 2x day for 7 days for my urinary tract infection. On the 3rd day, I had pain in my right knee. 4th day right knee was worse and left knee hurt too. 5th day, other joints became warm and ached. 6th day I was limping from pain in right knee. 7th day, limping and knees were swollen. 8th day (today,) pain in knees and limping. Had to ice knees to keep going through the day."

conbro (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Otitis Media: "Day 1 - serious pain and diminished hearing in my right ear. Went to get it checked out to find out I had an ear infection. Was given ibuprofen. The pain went away which made me happy, but the diminished hearing still there. Was prescribed Amox-Clav 875 mg. Later on this day I had some food. Another 30 - 35 minutes later (by this time it was 8:48pm) I took a few sips of water then took this pill. Was constantly drinking water up until I went to bed (around 11pm). Day 2 - Need to take the pill at 8:48am (which would mark 12 hours). It's 7am, woke up to use the restroom and saw what I think is blood in my urine, it's red. A side effect that's supposed to be rare. Not taking this thing anymore. Wasted money. Why I prefer natural, leafy foods"

WhyIHateMedication (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "Every time I have had a sinus infection and been prescribed Augmentin 875 I feel so much better within a day or two"

Miss Sherry (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I take amox-clav twice a day for an ear infection and sinusitis. I am on day 3 and so far, I have stopped coughing up green chunky mucous, yay! The mucous alone caused me to not desire food therefore I have lost weight (before starting amox-clav). I know to take probiotics with penicillin so I do not foresee a yeast infection as some have reported. I have experienced stomach grumbling and groans but no diarrhea yet (plus, I haven't eaten in days so I don't have anything in my stomach to get out). Amox-Clav is doing it's job. I'm not going to be a drama queen/crybaby about the side effects because this IS penicillin..not baby aspirin we're taking..just saying."

WindyCat (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Feeling horrendous, like I'm being poisoned! Was prescribed this after a trip to A&E with an upper UTI/kidney infection. I don't normally take meds and I'm trying to avoid antibiotics as I have leaky gut but the Dr urged me to take them as the infection was so bad. Anyway, the first day or 2 weren't too bad but then I woke up and felt like I'd been hit by a freight train. Here are some of the things I've been experiencing: Nausea, bloating, thrush, severe migraine like headaches, loss of appetite, depression and mood swings, paranoia, anxiety, dehydration due to constant urination, burning pain in my limbs and a stiff neck, a feeling of being hungover each morning, dizziness and 'brain fog' and a dry cough! Never taking these again!!!"

LauraH1981 June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "DON'T TAKE THE GENERIC! I have taken this antibiotic for all my sinus infections and never had any problems, but something is different. The manufacturer stopped making the 1000 mg's and now somebody new is making them again. Not sure if the same thing applies to the 875 mg's, but this time I've had to stop taking it. My heart has been beating hard and out of my chest, my blood pressure has been elevated, I'm stomach bloated, and kidneys hurting sharply. What are they putting in this stuff? I've discontinued the meds on day 7 of 10 and my symptoms are almost all gone. Thank goodness because the doctor signed me up for a heart monitor and ultrasound of my kidneys next week. I'm going to ask for brand name next time."

CAM WA June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Strep Throat: "Only took 2 pills on day one. Day 2... throat starting to feel better!! Yay!!!! Red welts all over my legs, butt ,back, and eyes real puffy!!! Guess I'm allergic!!! On to the next medicine."

lbutt June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "This is by far the worst antibiotic I've ever taken. Hours after my first dose I had severe stomach pain and was up all night running back and forth to the bathroom. My fitbit has also been telling me that my heart beat is faster than normal, I've been in fat burn mode while laying in bed.. I've definitely noticed insomnia as I've been up until 3-4am all week. I'm always tired as well. I'm only halfway through the pills, and there is no way I'll ever take them again as today I woke up with more severe stomach pain. My sinuses do feel better though."

Fstnjuugfswtyi June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Otitis Media: "This medication has always worked great for me whenever I have an ear infection...much better than the regular Amoxicillin too. However, be sure to follow your doctor's orders by taking this medicine with food while getting enough probiotics as it will give you stomach problems along with diarrhea if you don't comply."

jmcd2017 May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "It is now week 3 since I stopped that poison, and I'm STILL paying a price. I was prescribed it for a bacterial upper respiratory infection. After the first day, I started having a fast and pounding heart rate. My fatigue got much worse, and my blood pressure went way up (though I didn't know the latter had occurred until I took myself to a walk-in clinic on the 5th day, when I STOPPED that poison.) Since then, I STILL have the pounding heart rate throughout the day, and especially at bedtime, which keeps me awake. It's like my adrenaline is always sky high now. I am forced to take taurine three times a day to control it somewhat. Will this ever end???"

HarmedbyAmoxicillinClavulanate May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "These pills really knocked me hard!!! Had a tooth pulled and doctor put me on for 7 days...Never slept so much in my life. Had absolutely no energy to do ANYTHING!! Fair warning everyone!!"

Sammy g May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I've been taking this for about two weeks to combat cellulitis and after first trying Keflex and Bactrim which did not work, the Augmentin is working quite well. I haven't had any stomach upset or GI discomfort. I haven't had any Diarrhea that couldn't be easily stopped with a normal dose of over-the-counter Loperamide. Had a slight bit but the Loperamide fixed that right up. "

Adam Mann (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Had the worst upper respiratory infection I have ever had. Took ambulance to hospital for first time in my life because I thought it was a heart attack. Could barely breathe. I had let it go for over 2 weeks and it had gotten that bad. I have not been sick in over 12 years and never went to ER for an illness before. I was prescribed Amox- Clav in addition to a steroid for inflammation. Day 3 started to feel 60% better, Day 5 80%, Day 7 95% there. No side effects, I do eat a good sized meal 20 minutes prior to taking it. I never was so sick and I am very fortunate that I was given this medication with no side effects and was back at the office in 2 days after taking."

nick rarety May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Daughter (16), was prescribed this medicine for an inflamed lymph node. After a few days, I noticed her upper eyelids were swollen. Thought maybe she was just tired, but after a week, they are still swollen. She also sounds like she's getting a sinus infection( meds should clear it up...smh). She has also developed a white bump in her mouth, and severe dry mouth, and upset stomach(no diarrhea). Says she feels like she's really full.(Only way she can explain the stomach ache). I'm calling the doctor now. Anyone else have the swollen eye lids, etc??"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: "This is one of the worst experience in my entire life. After taking Augmentin , I had diarrhea for a week, yeast infection, dry red rashes at the palm of my hands and inner thighs, hemorrhoids, exhaustion, blurry vision, increased heart rate which caused me not able to sleep. I WILL NEVER take Augmentin again, worst meds in the world."

duckwai (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2017