User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Aspiration Pneumonia 1 reviews 64 medications

Bacterial Infection 48 reviews 169 medications

5.6
Summary of Amoxicillin/clavulanate reviews 287 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "I was prescribed Augmentin 875 mg 2times a day for 10 days... I took it for 5 days and it seemed to be working to clear up the sinus infection but I had to stop taking it because it gave me the worst yeast infection I have ever had in my life. I read someone else's comments about their tongue swelling and having ulcers on it, thus is oral thrush or a yeast infection on the tongue. I had to take 7 days of diflucan and eat plain yogurt to get rid of it. And I had to stop taking the Augmentin. I tried to start back taking it in halves but the yeast infection in my mouth came back. So I had to get more plain yogurt with probiotics to get rid of it. I can not take this medicine."

Marshie August 23, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Strep Throat: "Completely useless medication. Been taking this for 5 days and absolutely none of my symptoms have cleared up. This morning I woke up with a pounding headache and I am about to throw up. Avoid at all costs"

HhhbjkkjhhjB August 19, 2016

For Strep Throat: "Caught my strep on day 1. Was prescribed penicillin 500mg originally 4x daily for 10 days. After two days of antibiotic treatment, my symptoms worsened resulting in a second visit back to the ER in severe stomach pain since I was taking penicillin, Tylenol and Advil on an empty stomach due to not being able to swallow even my saliva. The doctor gave me a steroid called decatrum via IV followed by a pain medicine via IV. The steroid gave me immediate relieve within an hour helping the swelling down. Afterwards, he discharged me and sent me home with Amox-clav 875 and Tylenol 3 with Codeine for pain. The amox-clav was directed to take twice daily for fivedays. I'm onmy second doseand I feel a majordifference but severestomachache constipation"

Giovannie August 19, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Sinus infections have controlled my life for about 3 years. After trying many antibiotics, a specialist had me try this antibiotic. I have used it 4 times and it has always worked while also taking prednisone. Using steam as a decongestant has also been a big help. If you have a sinus infection, I highly recommend this drug. From reading the other reviews I am fortunate to not have any side effects. So use with caution the first time."

Bookie72 August 19, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Oh my god. Worst experience ever. Though I had food poisoning I have been on and off of the toilet at least 7 or 8 times within 5 hours at work with extreme, awful diarrhea. It is making me want to cry it is so awful. I can't drink water, I already threw up for about 13 minutes and my stomach is hurting like no other. DO NOT TAKE THIS ... TORTURE"

Bellchachalo August 18, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "I was prescribed Augmentin for a sinus infection. Worst medication experience of my life. I never get headaches, and after just three doses I had the worst headaches. My head throbbed. I couldn't sleep. My vision was impaired. I had excruciating stomach pains. I was far sicker than I was prior to going to the doctor. I will never take this horrible medication again. Beware of the side effects if you do."

Forever Anonymous August 8, 2016

For Sinusitis: "sinusitis every year for the past 5. Its the only med that has worked. Had tried other antibiotics to no avail. the infection and side effects used to last 2 to 3 months. taking amox clav licked in 10 days. Had a couple of side effects but nothing major."

billz July 31, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Strep Throat: "Had severe infection and fever the meds helped me , I had become resistant to azi , was given 1000mg with steroids to get me back on feet , hiccups followed for 6 days"

axat July 29, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I get sinusitis a few times a year and this works the best out of all meds! After being sick for a week on a different antibiotic my Dr changed to Augmentin I feel better already and it's only day 2!"

Anonymous July 29, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: "Took it via IV for five days in hospital for diviculitus infection,temperature dropped in a day and inflammation decreased. But had to take two more courses after being discharged to fully clear the infection I found the sickness and nausea very harsh and felt very weak when on it,surprisingly it didn't upset my stomach Side effects cleared very quickly a few days after stoping it,I would rather take this than the dangerous alternative cipro.So would probably take again even though the side effects were difficult"

Andy Perkles July 26, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Otitis Media: "I had a swollen gland under my palate due to an ear infection & was give a 7 day Rx for this drug. I ended up stopping with 2 days to go. I have severe itching (feels like bugs crawling on me) yeast infections including in my mouth, severe diarrhea, nausea, heartburn, lethargy & no appetite. It has been 3 full days since I took this vile drug & I am still losing weight. I am now down 10 lbs and it shows no signs of slowing down."

Anonymous July 25, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "As a sufferer of many sinus and ear infections, I knew with this 90 degree heat in ACs with poor air quality that I was going to get sick. Got sick last Wednesday with sinus issues, got worse so went to primary. Dr said didn't think I had a sinus or ear infection so told me to continue on netty pots and Sudafed 24. She did give me a prescription if I wasn't feeling better by Monday (today). After a weekend still feeling miserable, got prescription. Usually I get amoxicillin, and when looked at the script, it had amoxicillin clav so I didn't think anything of it. I pick up the script. Take pill on way to work. Sick within an hour. Googled and found was given generic of Augmentin. Never again! Threw up for an hour straight - not worth it!"

KAB1234 July 18, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "Took Augmentin for severe sinusitis, after 2 hours started vomiting it would not stop, rushed to medical centre, given an injection to stop the vomiting didn't work, vomiting continued until only bile and blood was coming out, then given Zofran wafers finally the vomiting subsided, but the stomach and chest pain continued all night. Worst experience :("

Bankstown July 12, 2016

For : "I had this prescribed to me by my dentist following dental extractions and implants. I'll be finishing the 10-day treatment tomorrow; it has been horribly painful in many ways. a) the severe diarrhea was finally dealt with by taking 50B probiotics capsules with real plain bacterial-cultured yogurt at each meal. b) for the mind-blowing headaches, I'm still cycling between aspirin, acetaminophen and ibuprofen 3 tablets every 6 hours; none work well continuously. c) other side effects such as dry mouth, itchy nose and slight burning sensation while urinating are merely a slight distraction compared to the diarrhea and headaches. I hope I had started with another antibiotic. Good luck!"

Paul A. July 9, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I have Emphysema, because I worked in a school swimming pool, and therefore was in contact, with Sodium Hypochlorite--which is Chlorine in it's neat state---. At a routine medical was found out to be deadly allergic to Chlorine, and so had to leave the pool. Living life with Emphysema, is hard. Augmentin--or Co-Amoxiclave as it's known by in G.B.. which is where I live, but find U.S.A. web sites more giving with easier to understand articles. As I said C.O.A.D. is hard to live with and I get frequent chest infections all year round, but find Augmentin is the all round Antibiotic for me, as I don't get any side affects, so maybe I'm one of the lucky ones that way. It is easy to take, and very easy to break in half, if you find it big ."

Lynda McEachran (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Prescribed after repeated ear infections and the last cold that turned into a sinus infection. Felt better by the second day and sinuses opened up. I did have a bout of diarrhea on day 2 but had had soft bowels prior to starting this medication, so I cannot be certain that it was from that. I took Pepto Bismol tablets throughout that morning and did not have it again. I did feel tired, had a slight stomach ache as if carrying around a brick the first few day, feverish/chills but not really as well as somewhat sedated and "out of it" but not unable to function. I was glad to come across this Web site on day 2 of my treatment. I alleviated the side effects by taking with Greek yogurt, a probiotic pill, a full glass of water, and a starch."

Mrs Wiggins (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "This was for an animal bit that might cause infection. Its a horrible medicine, late period due to the medicine. Horrible diarrhea and vomited one morning. I have been very moody and tired. I will never take this again if I can help it! I quit taking it after 4 days I couldn't handle it any more. And for some reason I feel like I have something in my throat. Oh and my anxiety is out of control!!!"

Shadi09 (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I was perscribed amoxicillin clavulanate for a sinus infection with no symptoms only extreme pain in my face, pressure in my head, and in the back of my neck every single day for about 10 days, xray showed i had build up in my face, so doctor perscribed amox clav 500mg twice a day for 10 days. after day 6 i started developing tingling and numbness throught my entire body, my skin senses are gone , i cant feel when i scratch my skin or pinch it, my feet are tingling every day and hands feel extremely numb and cold, i dont reccomend this medication to any one ot ruined my nerves in my body and senses , please ask for another medication , this ruin my feeling forever !!"

Antibioticsgirl June 28, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Day 8 of taking this for just another sinus infection. Have had horrible, HORRIBLE side effects. My body felt extremely strange, tingly almost. Nausea has been so bad I had to take a pregnancy test to eliminate that possibility. I did vomit today for the first time in years after a whiff of cleaning products. The infection has improved but if you have a sensitive stomach - I don't advise. I did notice improvement (on nausea) on days I consistently chugged water (emphasis on chugged) and took the dose while eating."

05sousaj June 22, 2016

For Sinusitis: "It's working but I am quitting. I was told by the doctor that the clavulanate could trigger gastrointestinal side effects. Should have been my first clue. I have IBS and I'm emetophobic. I took my 5th pill (of 14) and within 15-20 minutes I was in agony. I had diarrhea the morning before, but wrote it off on the IBS. It should have been a warning. Crippling stomach pain, gas, massive headache, and more diarrhea. Had an anxiety attack and had to take a Xanax. Calling my doc in the morning to get off of it. And yes, I was taking the pills with food, probiotics, etc. They didn't help me."

Anonymous June 17, 2016

For : "I was prescribed this medication for a abcess tooth.horrible experience, after a hour of taking this medicine i became extremely nauseous and my stomach totally flipped. it did help my tooth, but i feel i substituted one problem for another :("

RedHead69169 June 16, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "I am at the end of day 3 of the medication and I can't do it anymore. The side effects are making life miserable, just in a different way than I started with. I went in because of the headache and congestion that would not respond to anything over the counter plus vertigo. The vertigo went away after the first day of meds but the headache is significantly worse. Additionally, my stomach hurts really bad and constantly feels like I have overeaten a mass amount all the time, whether I have eaten or not. I have also has some mild diarrhea. So not worth it for me!"

CaliPoppy June 16, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Bacterial Infection: "As advised by doctor take with probiotics - took one pill 830 (1/2) apart then around 1100 started throwing up for over an our then got diarrhea - guess I didn't have enough food on stomach - will not complete dosage."

Spoutrun June 10, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for Sinusitis: "Augmentin knocks out sinus infections faster and better than any other medication I've tried. Eat some greek yogurt while taking it and you won't have any stomach issues."

Blancabell (taken for 10 years or more) June 4, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Bad bad diarrhea i wouldn't give this medication to my anyone. It cleared up my sinusitis but gave me strait diarrhea for 6 days strait that's the only side affect i had it was terrible."

Anonymous June 4, 2016