User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate to treat Skin or Soft Tissue Infection

Also known as: Augmentin, Amoclan, Augmentin XR

Amoxicillin / clavulanate has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 45 ratings for the treatment of Skin or Soft Tissue Infection. 47% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Amoxicillin/clavulanate Rating Summary

6.1/10 average rating

Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Skin or Soft Tissue Infection.

Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Gi · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2018

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I feel like the people that come on here to read reviews are people like me who have anxieties about taking medications. I needed this medication for a skin infection after my c section. I was nervous about the symptoms after reading the comments on here but I had ZERO problems with this medication. I was prescribed 875mg 2x daily. I made sure I ate a pro-biotic yogurt before starting this med and had one every day for 7 days until I was finished. I had no upset stomach or diarrhea.”

Riley · Taken for less than 1 month March 21, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I had a stye that turned into cellulitis with extreme swelling, redness and pain. If you google the most extreme pics of periorbital cellulitis, I looked worse than those. My lower eyelid was so swollen that it was projected so far out that when I closed my eye, my inside tissue, the mucous membrane was completely exposed. It felt like my skin was ripping apart. I was prescribed 1000mg Augmentin and after the first tablet, I was about 25% better. After the second tablet, all pain was gone and it went down to looking like a normal stye again. This was in just 24 hours. By the end of day 3 you'd never know it happened. I've also been prescribed Augmentin for bronchitis and respiratory infections and it's quick and works great for those as well.”

JoeyJoJo December 27, 2014

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Overall, not too bad. Had some mild nausea and diarrhea the first two or three days, but then drank Kefir which helped immensely. Be sure to take as directed with some food (you don't need a whole meal) and eat yogurt etc. I highly recommend Kefir during Augmentin therapy. Began clearing the infection by the second day. Remember, most people have little to no side effects with these medications, so what you tend to read on the Internet is negatively biased.”

Carpediembaby · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 21, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I have adult acne and rosacea due to pcos. I have redness, welt type acne, rash type scne, black/white heads on my face. When taking Augmentin, all my skin problems dissappear within 2-5 days and my face stays clear while taking the prescription. Augmentin is a Godsend.”

Lacey · Taken for less than 1 month March 31, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I was prescribed Àugmentin (Amox-Clav) 125mg every twelve hours for 10 days. Starting having diarrhea the day I started and by day five I became so sick I thought I was going to have to go to the ER. Horrible stomach pain and cramps, fever, extreme weakness, painful muscles mainly in legs, nasty sweat, nightmares, and I lost my sense of smell...which may have been a good thing since I was pretty much stuck in the bathroom. The fever and pain lasted two days after I stopped taking the augmentin on day five. The diarrhea has continued (on day eight after discontinuing drug) and is pretty much spontaneous. I can’t go anywhere. I have never had stomach issues in my life (I’m 50). I fear my gut is damaged beyond repair. This is a nasty, nasty drug. Also has worsened my depression and mental state in general.”

AllOkay · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I took augmentin for a nasty stye that was getting increasingly worse. I do not have a good track record with antibiotics as I have either broken out in hives or it has caused some intolerable mood swings. I was nervous about taking it, but the stye caused me so much pain that I gave in. Hours after the first dose, the stye came to a head and immediately started draining. It felt like so much of the pain had finally left my eye. By day 4, other than the scar/scab, my eye looks and feels like normal. My digestion is a bit out of whack, but I deal with other complicated gastro issues, so this was not a big deal for me. Probiotics and kefir to help!”

Anonymous July 1, 2008

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I suffered from Pseudofolliculitis behind my head for years and by chance I got Augmentin from Libya without any prescription. In Europe all the doctors that I consulted could not find solution for this problem so one day I just worked into a pharmacy in Libya and showed it to the Doctor in charge of the pharmacy who adviced me to take Augmentin. I was a bit hesitant but before my returning date (after 5 days) I noticed that all the bumps are drying. and now I'm very proud of my head. ”

Murphy · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I started this 6 days ago for an infection for a knife cut on my thumb knuckle. It seemed to work and swelling is down however I was advised to stop using it due to the side effects. Severe nausea upon waking, chills, agitation, unable to keep still yet tired, lightheaded and fatigued. The panic attacks and constant catastrophic thinking really made me need to stop this med. I hope it killed the infection because I think I may need a medicated coma for my next round”

Bethel · Taken for less than 1 month January 23, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I was prescribed Augmentin for what my doctor thought was a skin infection on my right leg. Well after taking my first dose within 2 hours my stomach became extremely upset... burning...nausea... diarrhea....bloating...and anxiety and panic has always been a issue for me but after Augmentin it was immediately 20 times worse. My Dr ended up telling me to stop taking it on day 5 cause it was getting worse and worse. My skin infection cleared up with some hydrocortisone cream and antibiotic ointment but its been over 3 months since stopping this med and I'm still having major stomach issues and mental isses, so please be careful people especially if you have anxiety or stomach issues before hand.”

wh7352 October 26, 2010

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I have used Augmentin several times mainly for skin infection (acne) and had found it effective although I took only half course of 7 tabs x 625mg on each occasion. So far I have experienced no sight effects. I also increased my probiotics intake while on this antibiotic. The probiotics should not be taken at same time but after a lapse of time, say four hours or longer after consuming the drug. I would recommend Augmentin as it is effective and to me there is no side effect.”

Adam Mann · Taken for less than 1 month May 28, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I've been taking this for about two weeks to combat cellulitis and after first trying Keflex and Bactrim which did not work, the Augmentin is working quite well. I haven't had any stomach upset or GI discomfort. I haven't had any Diarrhea that couldn't be easily stopped with a normal dose of over-the-counter Loperamide. Had a slight bit but the Loperamide fixed that right up. ”

nauseousgirl · Taken for less than 1 month October 10, 2018

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Throughout the whole course I had horrible nausea and diarrhoea :/ 2 weeks after finishing the course I'm still sick! So fatigued, flu like symptoms, chills and sweats, terrible cramps and always in the bathroom. I've now been diagnosed with colitis from augmentin. I'm more sick after the course than I was before I actually needed the antibiotics!! I've never had a reaction to any other antibiotic so would never ever take that again.”

catbite September 15, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Took this for 10 days after a cat bite got infected. Noticed hyperactivity during the course, but it was two days after I finished the course that the real fun started - fatigue, head fog, inability to do anything, weight loss (three kg in four days!), really bad insomnia (unable to sleep until 5 am), unable to stomach anything except carbs. After a week of this the nausea started, so that I couldn't eat anything without debilitating nausea. Headaches too. Am still in it after two weeks. Treating myself with ginger tea for nausea, slippery elm, probiotics, dandelion leaf and root for liver, lemon water, vegetable juices. I will never take this again.”

SadBirdie · Taken for less than 1 month March 25, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I was prescribed this twice a day for 7 days. I'm halfway through and I recently developed severe headaches, decreased appreciate, decreased urination, and shortness of breath. No diahrrea yet, but I did feel nauseous this morning. I hope not to get diahrrea because I'm trying to heal an anal fissure. I tested negative for some common STDs so I don't know what I have but my groin lymph nodes still seem to be swollen. :/”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 24, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Don't know what's worse....the cellulitis infection or side effects of augmentin. Headache, gassiness, bloating, stomach upset from day one. Horrible vomiting on day 5. Thank goodness I only have 7 day Rx. Calling Dr tomorrow and will beg not to take last 2 days or switch to something else.”

Cole · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Bitten by a dog got prescribed this worst experience of my life. I cannot sleep and I feel like throwing up the entire time. I just close my eyes and wait till the sun rises. Lay in bed wake up eat take my course and repeat....hate this antibiotic...”

KathyM76 February 12, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Was prescribed the 875 mg tabs every 12 hours for an infected cyst. Right from the 1st dose I experienced stomach upset, severe bloating, and Diarrhea that burned. Within several days I also developed a vaginal yeast infection and severe yeast rashes in both armpits. I normally have a cast iron stomach and can take normally any medication without meals and have no problems. The augmentin caused bad side effects even with meals. Stay away from this drug it is well known to cause stomach problems.”

Matt Whobrey · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2013

“I was proscribed Amox-Clav 875mg Tablets for a very bad skin infection on my legs (both). My skin was peeking off and under the skin it was red and tender to the touch. Within a week, the spot grew from a dime size to about 7 inches wide by 5 inches tall. After the first week, the infection moved to my right leg. My Doctor proscribed me this medication and after taking for about 5 days, the sores started to scab over and the sore/tenderness was going away. I highly recommend this medication for skin infections.”

Boymama · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I was prescribed Augmentin 875(?) to be taken twice a day for 10 days to try and prevent infection from a bad cat bite. I did experience symptoms, but because I suffer from IBS it mostly seemed like an IBS flare to me. The looser stools started on day two, but they were not diarrhea. That was it until around day 8 when I bloated like you wouldn't believe. It was all up in my stomach and nothing gave me relief. However, I continued on taking my pills and my probiotics and finished a couple of days ago. The side effects were not pleasant, but they were much less unfortunate than I was expecting after reading reviews. I never got an infection from the cat bite, which normally leads to one in about 80% of people. So, the drug worked!”

cclick · Taken for less than 1 month June 26, 2013

“I scraped up my inner knee on a mossy log. By day 4, it was not improved, & had a clearly infected area around the small scrapes--swollen, red (and white when you push on it, quickly turning red again), about an inch to 1.5 inches all around the wound area--tender to touch. I went to the doctor and was prescribed this for 10 days. I am only through the 2nd dose. I have taken this medicine before for sinusitis, & did not have side effects. After only 15 hours since first dose, wound is healing beautifully.”

Alex Celine · Taken for less than 1 month September 20, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I had an external ear infection for almost 18 days, on my first check up the doctor prescribed Clindamycin, but that didn't work on me. About 2 weeks later i still have no signs off healing through Clindamycin, I decided to be checked-up again with different doctor (ENT) & I was diagnosed with Chondritis. He prescribed Augmentin 625mg, 3x a day, every 8hrs. and Inoflox, which is also an antibiotic for twice a day. I experienced side effects such as diarrhea that lasted only on 2nd day. I just realized that this side effect are temporary. Now i am on my 4th day on these antibiotics, i can say that im healing and my ear forms back again to its normal size.”

Tired of antibiotics · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I took this medicine for a tooth abscess that couldn't be drained during root canal. Severe diarrhea, headaches, minor heartburn and I felt as though my throat were closing (doc said minor allergic reaction). I have been taking a probiotic and eating yogurt but it hasn't helped with the stomach upset at all. It helped with the abscess but 8 days later it isn't completely cleared. I've been switched to Clindamycin due to the tightening in my throat. Scared to death and sick of antibiotics.”

Cindy · Taken for less than 1 month August 4, 2020

“Day 1 woke up with a horrible toothache..got so bad by the 2nd night I couldn't sleep at all. The pain was so bad I was crying and losing my mind..the only thing that helped was keeping ice in my mouth at all times to numb it..I was eating ice for 24 straight hours! :( Day 2 I did an online appointment and was prescribed Amox-Clav 875..2 times a day for 10 days. The first 2 pills I did not notice a difference at all but the morning of Day 3 about an hour after I took my pill the pain was 100% gone! I am on day 4 of this ordeal now..feels great and as of now I have had no side effects at all. I was concerned about this after reading the reviews. I did take my pill after I ate breakfast , drank lots of water all day and also took a probiotic pill every morning as well.”

USAMaid · Taken for less than 1 month October 22, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “When I received a shot of Novacaine at the dentist for one of my front teeth, it seems he hit the nerve going from the gums into my nose. My left nostril swelled so that it look like a pig nose and was extremely sore to the touch. After three days on the Augmentin, all the pain is gone and the swelling has come down to about half its original size, so my nose looks normal. I was particularly worried because I had to perform in two concerts two days after my first dose. The infection formed scabbing on both the outside and inside of the nostril. A little cover-up applied to the outside got me through both concerts. Still have swelling inside but it’s doable. High marks for this antibiotic.”

Cora Blue · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2014

“Recently, my ear drum ruptured during my sleep. Actually, the pain awakened me first. Although I am leaning towards my severe TMJ for causing the rupture, I am still uncertain as to exactly why. I saw my physician the following morning and was prescribed Amoxicilln 875mg, twice per day. I was also prescribed antibiotic and steroid ear drops. This was 3 days ago. I also have severe acne caused by folliculitis. Embarrassingly, I also have scabs where I will scrape the hair with my nail. I use Tazorac Cream for it, but this has always made it worse. Much to my surprise, I am overjoyed to see how much better my skin already looks. It's like night and day. Almost completely clear after years of dealing with this. Amazing.”

Learn more about Skin or Soft Tissue Infection