User Reviews for Cefdinir

Also known as: Omnicef, Omnicef Omni-Pac

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Cefdinir.

Pneumonia

Skin and Structure Infection
2.7

Summary of Cefdinir reviews 5.1 187 reviews

Reviews for Cefdinir

For Sinusitis: "I woke up about 2 weeks ago to severe ear pain and sinus pressure to the point where I was overly dizzy for 9 days straight with no relief whatsoever - unless I was laying down, and not moving. I went to the doctor about 2 and a half weeks ago and was prescribed this medication and it seemed like it almost got worse as the days went on. I was in SO much pain, no appetite, very lethargic, dizzy, ear pain, mucus in nose and throat, and the worst migraines for 3 days straight with no relief. Finally after 2 full weeks of thinking I’d be feeling this way forever, I started to feel better on my 18 day being sick, but my 9th day of the medication. I also developed a terrible, itchy, red, sore yeast infection. Now I’m dealing with this too !"

yeast infection (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Strep Throat: "I went to the doctor three days ago and my doctor prescribed cefdinir. I have a double ear infection, sinus infection, bronchitis, and there was the possibility of strep. So she decided to kill 4 birds with one stone. I have been running a 101-102 temp while alternating Ibuprofen and Tylenol every two to three hours. I can't manage to get warm and stay that way. I've been battling not having a voice for about 7 and a half months now, I almost had it back til I got sick this time, and ever since I started taking this medicine it's getting worse. I get nauseous even if I eat with it."

Carlyy December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Just got this medication for the first time for a sinus infection. After reading the reviews I'm kinda scared to take it. Gonna start my first dose tomorrow after I get off work. Hope I don't have all the side effects everyone is having. I already have Crohn's and was told this medication is easy on the GI tract and I will feel 100% better in 2 days. We shall see"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Omnicef (cefdinir) for Bronchitis: "Day 5. Still coughing up gunk. Wheezing some. No voice. Not really feeling any relief. Have to call my Dr again in the morning."

SGeeeee (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I had to take this for some infected blisters on my foot. (Foot was swollen, purple, and oozing liquids by the way, fun) It worked with no bad aftertaste or side effects. Took about a week. Odd that I'm seeing everyone getting all this diarrhea from it, I didn't have a single issue and I get diarrhea from everything. Worked differently for me I guess."

Kosistyy (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I went to a clinic to get treated for my bronchitis and sinuses! I usually get the Z-pack but this nurse practitioner decided to put me on this antibiotic instead! I am highly allergic to amoxicillin since birth so I can’t use that. I was warned by the pharmacist that this medication has side affects and a 2% chance of having a allergic reaction so I purchased some Benadryl just in case. The nurse practitioner who prescribed me this med told me it 2x a day for 10 days every 12 hours and eat something with it such as yogurt or a probiotic. I don’t have and side affects like everyone else from the reviews I read! I don’t have any headaches! I shall see how it works!"

rseuffert83 (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I was prescribed this on a Friday for a sinus and middle ear infection by that next Sunday I was feeling a little better, started feeling worse Monday night, went to school on Tuesday had to go home early because of a low fever. The whole time I have been taking this medicine I have had a sharp pain in my nose when I breathe through my nose I can also smell the medicine, I have had pain so bad in my legs and knees to where it hurts to move, and I've also been slightly forgetful. My ear pain has gotten worse to where it wakes me up. I have never had a medicine that has done this to me in the past."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I have had a sinus infection and ear infection for months on end. I was prescribed this and had been suffering severe constipation before. No more constipation, I have to take it easy because exertion makes the digestive issues worse but I understand the need to cleanse the system and for some that is diarrhea and vomit. Those that have allergic reactions I'm sorry but it isn't a reason to take it off the market, allergic reactions to meds should always be looked at. I'm hoping this will finally get rid of my infections can't smell and have loss of hearing. It sucks."

The-1st-Arden-ever (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I was prescribed on a Tuesday to take Cefdinir for a sinus infection (alongside a steroid which I only took for a day). Tuesday went fine, I felt better. Wed PM before my fourth dosage, I had intense stomach pain (I can normally handle stomach pain/cramps) and was advised to eat something. Felt better and took my 4th pill. Woke up around 3 am Thursday and I could taste the pill in my mouth (indigestion/reflux). Pushed it off, went to sleep, and woke up an hour later and I thought I was dying on the toilet. Stomach pain, diarrhea & vomiting (at the same time) and this weird finger cramp where I couldn’t move my fingers, along with panic/shallow breathing. This lasted off and on for almost two hours (mostly diarrhea) and I was too scared to finish the RX."

ChelinLR (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Strep Throat: "I was prescribed this for suspected strep throat. I had fever, ear pain, & swollen tonsils so my doctor went ahead and prescribed this before the culture came back. The first day I had loose stools & nausea. This continued until the fifth day I had muscle pain that otc pain meds couldn't relieve. It was a struggle to walk to the bathroom. Pounding headache, sensitivity to light. Watery diarrhea, severe stomach cramps. Fever and body chills--my entire body was trembling & teeth were chattering. I've taken many antibiotics in the past & this is the first one that has given me trouble. I wish I had been prescribed amoxicillan, I tolerate it much better."

taylor48953 (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Was prescribed this for suspected strep throat. I had a fever so the doctor went ahead and prescribed this to me. First day I had loose stools and nausea. This continued until the fifth day I had severe muscle pain and a severe headache. It was a struggle to just walk to the bathroom. Right now I have watery diarrhea and stomach cramps. Earlier today I had fever and severe body chills. Over the counter pain meds have not made a dent. Last night I was tossing & turning in pain, and got very little sleep. Cure worse than the cause! I've tolerated many other antibiotics very well in the past, and I will never allow my doctor to prescribe this to me again."

cam49587 October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "The bad reviews sound awful. I have taken this antibiotic several times and have no adverse reaction. I am currently on 300mg 2x daily and it kicks but on the infection. I recommend for those who can take it."

Patriciaz September 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I've been taking Cefdinir for 5 days so far with no adverse reactions as mentioned in some of the comments. No diarrhea, stomach cramps, etc. However, my sinus headache and cough are worse today...no better. I called my Dr. thinking he might want to give me a different type of antibiotic but he said to stay on the Cifdinir. It's not helping. I am miserable. :*("

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin and Structure Infection: "Had a prostate biopsy done (June 2017) which resulted in a severe infection. Chills, temp was 103.7, peeing blood. Had to be rushed to the ER and a central line put into my neck for antibiotics and fluids. I was in the ER for 2.5 days and released thank God. They saved my life. Doctor prescribed Cefdinir 300mg x 2 for the next 42 days to ensure the infection was destroyed. OK at first but started getting dizziness the last week. Starting tomorrow I'm off of Cefdinir and we will see how it goes. God bless you all and good health"

Just Survive (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I have never taken an antibiotic without experiencing at least some negative side effects due to being extremely sensitive to most medications. Omnicef/Cefdinar is the only antibiotic my body tolerates with zero negative side effects. Over the years I have taken it for respiratory infections, including sinus, and also for UTI/kidney infections. I am beyond grateful there's at least one medication like this one I can tolerate."

Detell1 July 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin and Structure Infection: "Use with caution. I was prescribed this in Thailand for what the doctor said was a bacterial infection. My first dose was given via IV and it instantly started to give me horrible abdominal cramps from my stomach down to my pelvic area. I continued to have abdominal pain and terrible watery diarrhea until I decided to discontinue use. Once I stopped taking it, the cramping ceased and the diarrhea went away within a day. Felt like it was poisoning my body. Use with caution!!"

Horrible abdominal pain! (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Had Sinusitis for 2 months. I was hesitant to take Cefdinir after reading all the bad reviews on here, but I finally gave in and it cleared it up in a matter of days with no side effects. Seems the most common side effects reported here are headache and diarrhea. I think many people aren't aware that Cefdinir should be taken with food, and that whenever you take any sort of antibiotic, you should follow up with a probiotic a couple of hours after each pill to re-balance your gut bacteria. These two steps are probably what kept from experiencing those side effects."

Jen Ettick July 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Strep Throat: "Got prescribed Cefdinir for Strep Throat and sinus infection and ear infection. I have a penicillin allergy that cause hives and hallucinations and it shows up on day 10 of taking penicillin. My doctor is aware I have this allergy. They prescribed Cefdinir and said that I will have a 10% chance of being allergic to this as well. So I got the prescription filled and took it like I was supposed to. On day 10 I woke up and my face is swollen, and wheezing. Discontinued taking the medication. I took some benadryl and ibuprophen and it didn't touch my reaction. I went to the doctor the next morning and they ended up giving me an Epi shot in my arm and a steroid shot in my hip and prescribed Predisone for 4 days after that. Anaphylactic reaction."

Mom2boysX2 (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Otitis Media: "I was prescribed Cefdinir for strep and after two doses had a severe headache, nausea, diarrhea and after 24 hours broke out is very painful hives on neck and chest - now I'm taking benadryl and a topical - Clobetasol Propionate for the rash and a different antibiotic for the strep. After reading all the side effects people get from this drug I do not recommend it."

Anonymous June 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Otitis Media: "I'm extremely allergic to this medication. I was prescribed omnicef as a child and broke out in extreme hives, blisters, and welts. I'm an adult now and I went to the doctor for a case of bronchitis and she gave me cefdiner. (The generic name for it. I thought it was a different medication since it didn't say omnicef). It was on my record that I was allergic to it and the urgent care doctor I saw has no idea how it got through the computer and I was lucky that my throat wasn't swelling up and that the doctor could have made a fatal mistake. Talk to your doctor very seriously about this medication and always google what they give you to make sure they didn't make a mistake. (I certainly learned that lesson)"

NotWonderWoman (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Strep Throat: "My daughter had an non IGE mediated allergic reaction to this medication in Sept 2016 and in May 2017. It caused to her have high fever and chills, temps of 104.6 for 5 days in a row and stomach pain behind her belly button. She threw up one morning from the fever."

Concernedmom88 May 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Within 24 hours of taking I had a decrease in symptoms and started feeling better."

Mama2bear May 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "was prescribed cefdinir 300mg twice daily for 10 days for a sinus infection. I was having sinus headaches and mild fever prior, so at first I did not realize that the headache was from cefdinir now, and not from sinus issues. After first 5 days, severe diarrhea developed, and headaches and nausea continued. But it did seemingly clear whatever was happening in the sinuses. I am on day 6. if headaches and stomach issues don't stop, will have to stop at day 7 and see if need another antibiotic or done. It's a very rough drug, and reading all the long term possible effects is a bit scary."

sinusitis sufferer (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Cleared up sinus and ear infection quickly with no side effects."

Bob Toppings April 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Took this medication twice a day for 10 days for infection of sinuses and adenoids. First three days my stomach hurt and headaches. Remainder of the days no side effects until the day I stopped taking it developed diarrhea and severe stomach cramping that didn't go away. 5 days after stopping the med now positive for C DIFF. I even took probiotics through the entire course of the med. Getting married in a week. Thanks a lot Cefdinir. I wanted everyone to be aware of this!!!!"

Annonymous6789 April 6, 2017