User Reviews for Cefdinir

Skin and Structure Infection
2.7

Summary of Cefdinir reviews 4.6 238 reviews

Reviews for Cefdinir

For Strep Throat: "I didn't have a problem with cefdinir at all, it was for strep throat with 103 fever and couldn’t swallow. I took this day 3 of having strep. It is now 5 days later and have tomorrow’s dose left. Worked for me. I do not have much of an appetite though but that might not be due to the drug."

Betty April 8, 2019

For Otitis Media: "First 3 doses had itching, but no rash. After that no more itching for the rest of the course. No other side effects. Worked great. As I was sure I wouldn't get anaphylaxis or Stevens-Johnson Syndrome from a new drug, I opened the capsules, poured out the contents, licked my finger and dipped it in the powder, licked the powder off, then downed it with 2 cups water. Had no itching after the first 3 pills, so I eventually stopped worrying and took whole capsules at once. Cefdinir isn't like ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, or moxifloxacin (fluoroquinolones) -- those antibiotics leave people permanently disabled for the rest of their lives."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2019

For Bronchitis: "Going right down the middle on this one because there were some positive and negatives with this medicine. Positive: it cleared up my sickness (no diarrhea or stomach issues either). Negative: it has given me fevers and it gave me a severe vaginal yeast infection & bacterial vaginosis that took almost 2 months (and 4 doctors visits) to clear up."

mshizzle1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2019

For Bronchitis: "I’ve been on this med for 10 days, just took my last two pills. The first few days were the absolute worst... until I realized I needed to eat more when taking it. Since I couldn’t stomach anything else, I ate potatoes. This seemed to help a lot. I was also taking 3-4 pills of 5 million probiotics per pill. Once I figure out the full stomach and probiotic combo the diarrhea and stomach cramping stopped."

Katsmeoow (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2019

For Strep Throat: "Had strep and was prescribed a z-pack. Finished it and strep came back right away. Went to urgent care this time was prescribed Cefdinir. I am on day 5 out of 10. Throat still hurt until day 3 or 4 but not as bad as it did before the meds. Was tolerable. I didn’t need the lidocaine prescribed or Ibuprofen after day 2. Had an immediate result the night I started this. I could barely even swallow and hours after taking this felt slight relief. Day 5 was the first day I could say throat didn’t hurt. Side effects were gassy stomach, some mild nausea. Nothing really. Overall think it’s good. Feel drastically better."

Kk2233 (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2019

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Side affect still lasting after 10 days off med. Itchy rash, swollen neck, chest, face, tongue, headache, fatigue, on and off diarrhea. Increased urination. Feel terrible for weeks. Took 2 a day for 10 days. Don't recommend this at all"

Banks (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2019

For Pneumonia: "I was prescribed this medication for bacterial pneumonia in my left lung, 2x per day for 10 days. I have to say the reviews of this antibiotic are quite scary. I am extremely sensitive to medications of any kind and I have had very minimal side effects with this medication. I am currently on day 7 of my prescription, and aside from a little stomach upset here and and there, I have really had no other issues. My facial skin has been drier, more irritated and a bit more blotchy than usual, which I guess I attribute to this prescription because nothing else in my day to day life has changed. It took about 3-4 days to notice the medication helping to any degree. Pneumonia does take time to heal, so I didn't expect a miracle from this drug. It had helped clear the infection with very minimal side effects. Don't let the dramatic reviews scare you as I did."

helerown February 7, 2019

For Sinusitis: "Let me just say first, I was really scarred after reading all these reviews, and was very reluctant to take it. But I really wanted to knock the sore throat and sinus problem I had had for 3 weeks at that point. I had taken amoxicillin and felt better for a week, but it came right back, so I was put on Cefdinir. I took it it 2x a day for 10 days. I took it with a daily probiotic and Greek yogurt, and even Garlic Pills, and pepto bismuth when necessary. The only issue I had is one day I decided to eat buffalo wings about 3 days in during a football game... regretted that the next day. Other than that, I have zero complaints and my infections were finally knocked out. If you are reading the reviews and are reluctant, check with you doctor that you aren’t allergic to any medicines like this, and if you aren’t, go for it."

Ben (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2019

For Sinusitis: "Every winter, I end up with sinusitis/infection that triggers intractable migraine. It’s beyond miserable! This is the first year I have been prescribed cefdinir. I was very nervous to try it after reading reviews, but I am happy to report so far, I have no issues aside from a noisier stomach. To be fair, I am also taking Prednisone. I feel SO much better on just day 3! I will update if I end up with bad side effects, but so far, so good."

Mbkb1 (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2019

For Sinusitis: "I have chronic sinusitis, allergies and asthma and usually get a debilitating acute sinus infection every winter. I went to urgent care when I woke with extremely swollen tonsils, a dry but persistent cough and HORRIBLE facial pain everywhere due to an overnight maxillary sinus infection. Was put on Cefdinir for 10 days. I developed terrible bronchitis after the 2nd day on the antibiotic which I'm not sure is normal or not but the sinus infection actually seemed worse by day 5. Today is day 7 and I’m blowing my nose around the clock like I have been all week but my ears are still completely blocked, sinuses are still not clear, I’ve developed nosebleeds with the migraines and I am pretty sure the bronchitis has progressed to pneumonia. I’m dizzy and out of it and it burns terribly to breathe and the echo from my cough could go on for miles. Going to wait til day 10 but if the coughing with dark green mucous gets any worse I’ll have no choice but to ask for a second antibiotic."

Chronic Sufferer January 15, 2019

For Pneumonia: "I’ve had an 11 month cough that evolved from mild at night to moderate day & night to severe day & night regurgitating clear mucus through my mouth & runny nose. I’ve seen 2 ENT’s, Pulmonologist, Gastrointestinal doc, Allergist & treated in ED for Acute Coughing Spasms. PPI’s, inhalers, Prednisone, Allergy Meds & 2 other antibiotics temporarily stopped it or didn’t help. Many tests given. Finally one week ago immunologist did blood tests which show low Pneumococcal 23 results. He RX’d Cefdinir and after 48-72 hours I feel a big difference. Doc said he feels I have a bacterial infection and wants me to take it for 20 days."

chicagopd (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2018

For Sinusitis: "I had severe sinusitis/throat infection and within 24 hour of taking cefdinir, I felt 1000x better, literally. I could finally drink water without being in pain because I could barely swallow beforehand. Yes, the side effects definitely suck especially since I have the worst yeast infection due to the antibiotics but I recommend cefdinir. Don’t let others experience with it scare you from taking it. Everyone’s different."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "I’m a nurse that got exposed to meningitis at work. Went to the urgent care with the worst sore throat of my life and a fever of 100.7. After 1st dose of Cefdinir and prednisone 20mg I felt immediate relief but after 2nd dose I became so nauseous that I vomited. Just reached out to my primary MD for nausea med since I have 6 more days of this antibiotic. Hope this will take care of the unpleasant side effect."

Algita2000 (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2018

For Sinusitis: "No side effects at all until my 4th day. I got horrible pain in my leg when going for a easy walk. I thought maybe I twisted my leg somehow?? When I woke up the pain had gotten a little better from resting it so I took another pill like normal and 4 hours later went for a walk and my other leg started cramping and I couldn't walk anymore at all! Had to have my bf pick me up. An hour after that had horrible wide spread body aches, felt like I had the flu. Red rash that lasted a few hours on my face. I'm a 33 yr old healthy female, so I don't have arthritis or anything. I'm not sure if this was causing tendon problems or what. I still have sinus issues but guess thats better than not being able to walk and feeling like I've been hit by a truck."

Niki (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2018

For Otitis Media: "I have been prescribed this medication several times and have never had any side effects. It has always worked for my sinus infections and now a middle ear infection."

cirila2012 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "I had been taking Bactrim for several months for UTI. The symptoms would come and go. So my PCP said I was positive. She says the bacteria I have is resistant to Bactrim. She called in this antibiotic. Within the first couple days, the diarrhea began, and each day it got worse. The burning pain is unbearable. The diarrhea is uncontrollable and unrelenting. I haven't slept. I called my doc to tell her I want to switch to another. She said for my strain of bacteria, there is only three. This one, Cipro, and one other, which she says would cause even worse diarrhea. I have one day left on this wicked drug. This drug also has risks of Steven Johnson syndrome, which is very scary. I wish I'd read this web page before l consented to taking this. I certainly wasn't even expecting this misery."

Upset November 8, 2018

For Otitis Media: "This medication has done absolutely nothing for me thus far. The only thing I’ve noticed that’s happened is that the infection is jumping around to different parts of my respiratory tract as well now. Sinus pain, stuffy nose one second, the next I’m coughing up nastiness, and then the pain and infection goes back to my ear, or to my throat, etc.... I would think it was just me expelling all of the gross stuff from each of those places, but the process has started to repeat itself now. I’m calling back and asking for amoxicillin."

kenmiaou (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2018

For Sinusitis: "I am a Scuba diver and have had fluid in my ear almost a month so I finally went to the doctor so that I could get something to clear up the fluid for a dive trip coming up. No OTC things were helping. They said I have a sinus infection (although I felt completely fine, I was just annoyed with having fluid in my ear for so long and knew it would cause problems when I went diving). I started taking it though. I have not had any of the side effects others are mentioning in the comments, but I have been feeling worse and worse with each day. The fluid finally cleared up after taking it for 7 days but it's day 9 now and I'm fatigued, throat hurts, appetite is gone. That has been getting worse with each day. I'm going to finish it up and then wait a few days before going back to see a different doctor. I wouldn't recommend taking this medicine and will be telling anyone in the future to prescribe me anything but this."

CaM (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2018

For Pneumonia: "Prescribed Cefdinir for my first bout with pneumonia at age 47. It did absolutely nothing and I nearly ended up hospitalized. I begged for an alternative knowing I would end up as an inpatient, by this time a fractured rib and torn intercostal muscles were causing significant issue. I was prescribed Levofloxacin and it worked well. Cefdinir didn't kill the bugs that I had."

Jason (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2018

For Bronchitis: "This has got to be the worst medication I've been on. I went to the doctor for reoccurring fever, sore throat, and violent coughing to the point of almost throwing up. The doctor prescribed me this medication. After 24 hours after taking the medication, I developed diarrhea. I, at first, didn't think it was part of the drug, until severe fatigue/lethargic took hold. On the third day, I suspected that it had to be the drug. I called the doctor's office and told them. They told me to stop taking the drug immediately. I was given a different antibiotic, but to wait two or three days before taking the next antibiotic."

Rose (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2018

For Strep Throat: "My son was prescribed this for strep throat. After a couple days of taking it he was doubled over with severe stomach pain. Then the diarrhea set in. I stopped giving it to him and took him back to the Dr. to get a different medication. They asked us to bring a stool sample and when it was tested, concluded that he now had c-diff, on top of strep throat, caused by the antibiotic. I will never use this medication again."

Bear68 (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "This was for a UTI which it shouldn't be prescribed for. I honestly wish I could go back in time and never take this drug. Stopped taking it after six days because of severe pain and diarrhea, went to the hospital and I'm C Diff positive now and on another antibiotic for that. An awful drug that should not be on the market."

T.G. (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2018

For Sinusitis: "My 7th day (out of 10) on cefdinir and it did not work for me. It only gave me diarrhea and made me very tired all 7 days I was on it. I slept most of the time for the past 7 days. I was given it to treat sinusitis which symptoms are the same and now I feel I have bronchitis. My lungs and chest is filled with mucus. Still coughing non stop like crazy, runny nose, post nasal drip, head aches, fatigue, chest pain, congested. Cefdinir sucks! What a waste of my time & days. Dr is going to prescribe another antibiotic. This time a 5 day course. Insurance covered the medication which I paid $5.00 co pay."

Jersey (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2018

Omnicef (cefdinir) for Sinusitis: "I started taking this for a sinus infection. The first 5 days I was fine and just added extra yogurt in my diet to be safe. By day 6 I had a little bit of diarrhea which was expected. It turned into diarrhea every 45 minutes until I had nothing left for the next 24 hours. Then it was like my bowels were being turned inside out and all that came out was black mucus. I immediately stopped the medication. I’ve been about 36 hours without it and things are slowly looking up. But I have had to miss work and other events because of it. My doctor said this was safe for those that are allergic to amoxicillin but apparently not. I do not recommend this to anyone. If you read most other reviews, it’s about the same thing."

R August 20, 2018

For Sinusitis: "DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICINE. I REPEAT, DO NOT. I had a cold that turned into a sinus infection and was prescribed cefdinir to take twice a day for ten days. I’m allergic to amoxicillin but my doctor said it should be okay because it’s never been a serious reaction. I started the antibiotics Monday night and it’s Saturday now. So I took pill 10 out of 20. Within an hour of taking it, I had diarrhea and didn’t think a lot of it because it wasn’t horrible and I didn’t feel sick. Well I’m five hours later and multiple trips to the bathroom with horrible cramps and loose, mucus stool and I feel like death is washing over me. I called my doctor and she suggested a probiotic but I told her I was not finishing it. Praying the symptoms go away with time. This happened to a family member as well. please save your body and do not take this medicine."

R (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2018