User Reviews for Cefdinir systemic

Skin and Structure Infection
2.7

Summary of Cefdinir reviews 4.5 230 reviews

Reviews for Cefdinir

For Sinusitis: "Every winter, I end up with sinusitis/infection that triggers intractable migraine. It’s beyond miserable! This is the first year I have been prescribed cefdinir. I was very nervous to try it after reading reviews, but I am happy to report so far, I have no issues aside from a noisier stomach. To be fair, I am also taking Prednisone. I feel SO much better on just day 3! I will update if I end up with bad side effects, but so far, so good."

Mbkb1 (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2019

For Sinusitis: "I have chronic sinusitis, allergies and asthma and usually get a debilitating acute sinus infection every winter. I went to urgent care when I woke with extremely swollen tonsils, a dry but persistent cough and HORRIBLE facial pain everywhere due to an overnight maxillary sinus infection. Was put on Cefdinir for 10 days. I developed terrible bronchitis after the 2nd day on the antibiotic which I'm not sure is normal or not but the sinus infection actually seemed worse by day 5. Today is day 7 and I’m blowing my nose around the clock like I have been all week but my ears are still completely blocked, sinuses are still not clear, I’ve developed nosebleeds with the migraines and I am pretty sure the bronchitis has progressed to pneumonia. I’m dizzy and out of it and it burns terribly to breathe and the echo from my cough could go on for miles. Going to wait til day 10 but if the coughing with dark green mucous gets any worse I’ll have no choice but to ask for a second antibiotic."

Chronic Sufferer January 15, 2019

For Pneumonia: "I’ve had an 11 month cough that evolved from mild at night to moderate day & night to severe day & night regurgitating clear mucus through my mouth & runny nose. I’ve seen 2 ENT’s, Pulmonologist, Gastrointestinal doc, Allergist & treated in ED for Acute Coughing Spasms. PPI’s, inhalers, Prednisone, Allergy Meds & 2 other antibiotics temporarily stopped it or didn’t help. Many tests given. Finally one week ago immunologist did blood tests which show low Pneumococcal 23 results. He RX’d Cefdinir and after 48-72 hours I feel a big difference. Doc said he feels I have a bacterial infection and wants me to take it for 20 days."

chicagopd (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2018

For Sinusitis: "I had severe sinusitis/throat infection and within 24 hour of taking cefdinir, I felt 1000x better, literally. I could finally drink water without being in pain because I could barely swallow beforehand. Yes, the side effects definitely suck especially since I have the worst yeast infection due to the antibiotics but I recommend cefdinir. Don’t let others experience with it scare you from taking it. Everyone’s different."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "I’m a nurse that got exposed to meningitis at work. Went to the urgent care with the worst sore throat of my life and a fever of 100.7. After 1st dose of Cefdinir and prednisone 20mg I felt immediate relief but after 2nd dose I became so nauseous that I vomited. Just reached out to my primary MD for nausea med since I have 6 more days of this antibiotic. Hope this will take care of the unpleasant side effect."

Algita2000 (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2018

For Sinusitis: "No side effects at all until my 4th day. I got horrible pain in my leg when going for a easy walk. I thought maybe I twisted my leg somehow?? When I woke up the pain had gotten a little better from resting it so I took another pill like normal and 4 hours later went for a walk and my other leg started cramping and I couldn't walk anymore at all! Had to have my bf pick me up. An hour after that had horrible wide spread body aches, felt like I had the flu. Red rash that lasted a few hours on my face. I'm a 33 yr old healthy female, so I don't have arthritis or anything. I'm not sure if this was causing tendon problems or what. I still have sinus issues but guess thats better than not being able to walk and feeling like I've been hit by a truck."

Niki (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2018

For Otitis Media: "I have been prescribed this medication several times and have never had any side effects. It has always worked for my sinus infections and now a middle ear infection."

cirila2012 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "I had been taking Bactrim for several months for UTI. The symptoms would come and go. So my PCP said I was positive. She says the bacteria I have is resistant to Bactrim. She called in this antibiotic. Within the first couple days, the diarrhea began, and each day it got worse. The burning pain is unbearable. The diarrhea is uncontrollable and unrelenting. I haven't slept. I called my doc to tell her I want to switch to another. She said for my strain of bacteria, there is only three. This one, Cipro, and one other, which she says would cause even worse diarrhea. I have one day left on this wicked drug. This drug also has risks of Steven Johnson syndrome, which is very scary. I wish I'd read this web page before l consented to taking this. I certainly wasn't even expecting this misery."

Upset November 8, 2018

For Otitis Media: "This medication has done absolutely nothing for me thus far. The only thing I’ve noticed that’s happened is that the infection is jumping around to different parts of my respiratory tract as well now. Sinus pain, stuffy nose one second, the next I’m coughing up nastiness, and then the pain and infection goes back to my ear, or to my throat, etc.... I would think it was just me expelling all of the gross stuff from each of those places, but the process has started to repeat itself now. I’m calling back and asking for amoxicillin."

kenmiaou (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2018

For Sinusitis: "I am a Scuba diver and have had fluid in my ear almost a month so I finally went to the doctor so that I could get something to clear up the fluid for a dive trip coming up. No OTC things were helping. They said I have a sinus infection (although I felt completely fine, I was just annoyed with having fluid in my ear for so long and knew it would cause problems when I went diving). I started taking it though. I have not had any of the side effects others are mentioning in the comments, but I have been feeling worse and worse with each day. The fluid finally cleared up after taking it for 7 days but it's day 9 now and I'm fatigued, throat hurts, appetite is gone. That has been getting worse with each day. I'm going to finish it up and then wait a few days before going back to see a different doctor. I wouldn't recommend taking this medicine and will be telling anyone in the future to prescribe me anything but this."

CaM (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2018

For Pneumonia: "Prescribed Cefdinir for my first bout with pneumonia at age 47. It did absolutely nothing and I nearly ended up hospitalized. I begged for an alternative knowing I would end up as an inpatient, by this time a fractured rib and torn intercostal muscles were causing significant issue. I was prescribed Levofloxacin and it worked well. Cefdinir didn't kill the bugs that I had."

Jason (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2018

For Bronchitis: "This has got to be the worst medication I've been on. I went to the doctor for reoccurring fever, sore throat, and violent coughing to the point of almost throwing up. The doctor prescribed me this medication. After 24 hours after taking the medication, I developed diarrhea. I, at first, didn't think it was part of the drug, until severe fatigue/lethargic took hold. On the third day, I suspected that it had to be the drug. I called the doctor's office and told them. They told me to stop taking the drug immediately. I was given a different antibiotic, but to wait two or three days before taking the next antibiotic."

Rose (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2018

For Strep Throat: "My son was prescribed this for strep throat. After a couple days of taking it he was doubled over with severe stomach pain. Then the diarrhea set in. I stopped giving it to him and took him back to the Dr. to get a different medication. They asked us to bring a stool sample and when it was tested, concluded that he now had c-diff, on top of strep throat, caused by the antibiotic. I will never use this medication again."

Bear68 (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "This was for a UTI which it shouldn't be prescribed for. I honestly wish I could go back in time and never take this drug. Stopped taking it after six days because of severe pain and diarrhea, went to the hospital and I'm C Diff positive now and on another antibiotic for that. An awful drug that should not be on the market."

T.G. (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2018

For Sinusitis: "My 7th day (out of 10) on cefdinir and it did not work for me. It only gave me diarrhea and made me very tired all 7 days I was on it. I slept most of the time for the past 7 days. I was given it to treat sinusitis which symptoms are the same and now I feel I have bronchitis. My lungs and chest is filled with mucus. Still coughing non stop like crazy, runny nose, post nasal drip, head aches, fatigue, chest pain, congested. Cefdinir sucks! What a waste of my time & days. Dr is going to prescribe another antibiotic. This time a 5 day course. Insurance covered the medication which I paid $5.00 co pay."

Jersey (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2018

Omnicef (cefdinir) for Sinusitis: "I started taking this for a sinus infection. The first 5 days I was fine and just added extra yogurt in my diet to be safe. By day 6 I had a little bit of diarrhea which was expected. It turned into diarrhea every 45 minutes until I had nothing left for the next 24 hours. Then it was like my bowels were being turned inside out and all that came out was black mucus. I immediately stopped the medication. I’ve been about 36 hours without it and things are slowly looking up. But I have had to miss work and other events because of it. My doctor said this was safe for those that are allergic to amoxicillin but apparently not. I do not recommend this to anyone. If you read most other reviews, it’s about the same thing."

R August 20, 2018

For Sinusitis: "DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICINE. I REPEAT, DO NOT. I had a cold that turned into a sinus infection and was prescribed cefdinir to take twice a day for ten days. I’m allergic to amoxicillin but my doctor said it should be okay because it’s never been a serious reaction. I started the antibiotics Monday night and it’s Saturday now. So I took pill 10 out of 20. Within an hour of taking it, I had diarrhea and didn’t think a lot of it because it wasn’t horrible and I didn’t feel sick. Well I’m five hours later and multiple trips to the bathroom with horrible cramps and loose, mucus stool and I feel like death is washing over me. I called my doctor and she suggested a probiotic but I told her I was not finishing it. Praying the symptoms go away with time. This happened to a family member as well. please save your body and do not take this medicine."

R (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2018

For Strep Throat: "Do not give this to you kids. I repeat do not give this to your kids. When pediatrician prescribes this drug for you child ask her about the side effects or alternate medicine like amoxicillin or penicillin. This drug need to be banned. Please parents do your research before you give this to your child. Side effects are very severe. Not only your child will suffer because of this drug but you will suffer as well. I advise all the parents to be very careful with Cefdinir."

Aj (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2018

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "300 mg every 12 hours. Soon after the 3rd dose became dizzy, sweats, extreme nausea, diarrhea, mild convulsions for hours on end. Beware. 48 year old white male"

badnews (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2018

For Otitis Media: "I was given this at a healthcare facility when my doctor's office was not open on the weekend. I also had a sinus infection and my asthma was severe. I was given a steroid shot and an antibiotic shot and a script for Cefdinir was filled by my pharmacy. I felt better on Monday but from Tuesday on, felt much worse. I wanted to give it a chance, but on Friday, called facility and they changed my meds. This medication caused my stools to look like coffee grounds? (internal bleeding) and also diarrhea that just "leaked out". I also was coughing more and my asthma was worse! I know medications work differently for everyone, but if the majority of reviews are bad, that seems to indicate the medication might need to be reviewed again. As for me, I will never use this again!"

budgielover (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2018

For Sinusitis: "This was my 3rd trip to the doctor , first I was given 875 mg amoxcillin but 3 days later I was worse. Went to an urgent care clinic and was given a shot of rocephin, a steroid and another antibiotic. Those 3 things cured the sinusitis , and the bronchitis I had , but I was still sick. The dr this time prescribed cefdinir and it took 5 days , but on the 5th day my pneumonia was gone - finally relief! Now, I get to see how long it lasts. 3 days not sick so far (I'm one of those unlucky people that are sick more than they are healthy) and the cause is 9 times out of ten , sinusitis. If it progresses without infection , well...let's put it this way . I have sinusitis 9 to 10 times a year .. bronchitis 7 to 8 times a year and full blown pneumonia at least 3 to 4 times a year. I live with this as normal. Cefdinir really helped me this time."

Robert (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2018

For Strep Throat: "Was prescribed this for severe strep throat, which got a lot better within 2 days. But it made me so nauseous, even with probiotics and food. Strep returned immediately after I finished the antibiotics."

Arden June 5, 2018

For Bronchitis: "Was given an Rx for this for 5 days. By dose 2, I had diarrhea that looked like coffee grounds and severe pinching-like pain in my stomach along with nausea and lack of appetite, sweating. At that point, I called my doctor's office back, who advised me to quit taking the drug and go get a probiotic because it had wreaked havoc on my stomach's enzymes and killed all the good bacteria, and to stay on a bland diet for several days. Another case of the treatment being worse than the original bronchitis. Will NEVER take again."

beckym (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2018

For Sinusitis: "I’ve had a sinus infection for 2 weeks now. I’m going on day 4 of this Cefdinir and I don’t feel any better. Everything has gotten almost 100% worse. The dirrhea is terrible. The sinus pressure is so bad I can’t sleep. I'm up every couple hours. Normally I’m given doxycycline and that kicks the sinus infections in the butt. I had to call in sick today because of this. Wouldn't recommend this medicine at all"

Mariah (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2018

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I regret allowing this to be prescribed for my 17 year old son. He normally takes Zithromax for respiratory infections, but he was seeing a new/different provider. She wanted to give him this. After a total of 4 doses, he was NO better, not even slightly. I understand drugs need time to work, but I almost think he worsened a bit on this. And then, after the 4th dose, he developed diarrhea. This is hard for a busy high school student. I had been carefully giving him probiotics also but that did not help. The dr's office is switching him back to Zithromax."

Oedgar (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2018