User Reviews for Cefdinir

Also known as: Omnicef, Omnicef Omni-Pac

Learn more about Cefdinir.

Pneumonia 3 reviews 182 medications

Skin and Structure Infection 2 reviews 73 medications

Skin or Soft Tissue Infection 1 reviews 162 medications

Summary of Cefdinir reviews 172 reviews 4.4

Reviews for Cefdinir

For Skin and Structure Infection: "Use with caution. I was prescribed this in Thailand for what the doctor said was a bacterial infection. My first dose was given via IV and it instantly started to give me horrible abdominal cramps from my stomach down to my pelvic area. I continued to have abdominal pain and terrible watery diarrhea until I decided to discontinue use. Once I stopped taking it, the cramping ceased and the diarrhea went away within a day. Felt like it was poisoning my body. Use with caution!!"

Horrible abdominal pain! (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Had Sinusitis for 2 months. I was hesitant to take Cefdinir after reading all the bad reviews on here, but I finally gave in and it cleared it up in a matter of days with no side effects. Seems the most common side effects reported here are headache and diarrhea. I think many people aren't aware that Cefdinir should be taken with food, and that whenever you take any sort of antibiotic, you should follow up with a probiotic a couple of hours after each pill to re-balance your gut bacteria. These two steps are probably what kept from experiencing those side effects."

Jen Ettick July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Strep Throat: "Got prescribed Cefdinir for Strep Throat and sinus infection and ear infection. I have a penicillin allergy that cause hives and hallucinations and it shows up on day 10 of taking penicillin. My doctor is aware I have this allergy. They prescribed Cefdinir and said that I will have a 10% chance of being allergic to this as well. So I got the prescription filled and took it like I was supposed to. On day 10 I woke up and my face is swollen, and wheezing. Discontinued taking the medication. I took some benadryl and ibuprophen and it didn't touch my reaction. I went to the doctor the next morning and they ended up giving me an Epi shot in my arm and a steroid shot in my hip and prescribed Predisone for 4 days after that. Anaphylactic reaction."

Mom2boysX2 (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Otitis Media: "I was prescribed Cefdinir for strep and after two doses had a severe headache, nausea, diarrhea and after 24 hours broke out is very painful hives on neck and chest - now I'm taking benadryl and a topical - Clobetasol Propionate for the rash and a different antibiotic for the strep. After reading all the side effects people get from this drug I do not recommend it."

Anonymous June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Otitis Media: "I'm extremely allergic to this medication. I was prescribed omnicef as a child and broke out in extreme hives, blisters, and welts. I'm an adult now and I went to the doctor for a case of bronchitis and she gave me cefdiner. (The generic name for it. I thought it was a different medication since it didn't say omnicef). It was on my record that I was allergic to it and the urgent care doctor I saw has no idea how it got through the computer and I was lucky that my throat wasn't swelling up and that the doctor could have made a fatal mistake. Talk to your doctor very seriously about this medication and always google what they give you to make sure they didn't make a mistake. (I certainly learned that lesson)"

NotWonderWoman (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Strep Throat: "My daughter had an non IGE mediated allergic reaction to this medication in Sept 2016 and in May 2017. It caused to her have high fever and chills, temps of 104.6 for 5 days in a row and stomach pain behind her belly button. She threw up one morning from the fever."

Concernedmom88 May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Within 24 hours of taking I had a decrease in symptoms and started feeling better."

Mama2bear May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "was prescribed cefdinir 300mg twice daily for 10 days for a sinus infection. I was having sinus headaches and mild fever prior, so at first I did not realize that the headache was from cefdinir now, and not from sinus issues. After first 5 days, severe diarrhea developed, and headaches and nausea continued. But it did seemingly clear whatever was happening in the sinuses. I am on day 6. if headaches and stomach issues don't stop, will have to stop at day 7 and see if need another antibiotic or done. It's a very rough drug, and reading all the long term possible effects is a bit scary."

sinusitis sufferer (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Cleared up sinus and ear infection quickly with no side effects."

Bob Toppings April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Took this medication twice a day for 10 days for infection of sinuses and adenoids. First three days my stomach hurt and headaches. Remainder of the days no side effects until the day I stopped taking it developed diarrhea and severe stomach cramping that didn't go away. 5 days after stopping the med now positive for C DIFF. I even took probiotics through the entire course of the med. Getting married in a week. Thanks a lot Cefdinir. I wanted everyone to be aware of this!!!!"

Annonymous6789 April 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "I was given this drug for bronchitis. I've had the worst diarrhea, dizziness and nausea. I need to be near a toilet at all times for fear of destroying my pants. (sorry for the TMI). I'm starting to get better so, rather than feel like I have an intestinal virus I'm just stopping the drug and riding out the rest of the bronchitis. That should tell you how awful I feel while taking this."

Heather110 April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Omnicef Omni-Pac (cefdinir) for Sinusitis: "I was just fine on Cefdinir for first six days (actually, remarked how this was one antibiotic that didn't wipe me out). I did take probiotics with it, along with the prednisone tables (bronchitis and sinus infection). Then on the seventh day, when I took the last two, the cramping started. OMG. I am so sick! It has been two days since I finished the dosage, and I have constant stomach ache and have trouble breathing. Gax X doesn't help the cramps much. I wish I read these reviews before I took this stuff. So, this is going to last and last and then, if it goes away, it comes back another day? That looks to be what I'm reading."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Unlike most of the reviews on here I did fine on the medication. I was on doxycycline for a week and then amox-clav (amoxicillin with clav acid) for a few days and none of it helped. Cefdinir hasn't worked as fast as I'd hoped but it does seem to be working. I'm on day 6 and haven't had any side effects. I can't sleep that well the last few nights but not sure if that is from the meds or not. No nausea or diarrhea. I have been taking it at 11 am and 11 pm everyday and making sure I don't eat dairy 2 hours before or after taking the pill. I also drink a lot of water and eat yogurt to get probiotics back."

Jesskay06 March 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "Was prescribed Cefdinir 300mg 2x daily for 10 days. I even took 30 billion culture probiotics daily to PREVENT this side effect. Made it to day 5 and began experiencing horrible abdominal pain. A few hours later, diarrhea started. I even vomited 6 times on top of it. I obviously stopped taking it and day 2, the abdominal pain is about half of what it was. Still have very uncomfortable diarrhea every 1-2 hours... Sleeping 18 hours a day and very weak. Stay away from this antibiotic. I agree it should be prescribed VERY carefully or just taken off the market completely. The loss of work this is causing has been horrible and if terminated because of this, I plan on taking action any extent I can."

RoflPantofl March 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Otitis Media: "I was prescribed this 10-day medication for an ear infection after Amoxicillin did not work the first time. I was also prescribed Prednisone, six-day treatment. I took note of eating yogurt after taking the prescribed two-dose everyday, to ward of any yeast infections. The side effects of this medicine kicked in the first day, nausea. Second day I was okay. Third day started getting headaches, confusion, and a few stomach cramps. Fourth day full on migraine, no stomach cramps....5th day, 6th day, 7th day, migraines were getting worse. I did not finish the rest of the medication after the 7th day. Appetite had changed, was eating more. But the migraines were godawful. It did help my Otitis Media."

prd2b (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Otitis Media: "I was given this after I returned from a trip to Texas. Double ear infection and strep. After 4 days on this med, my tongue feels like it's numb, my throat feels like there is a giant lump in there. My ears are ringing nonstop and there is still fluid in there. My heart races for the first hour after taking this, I'm dizzy and for some odd reason my feet sweat like crazy ( I have never had sweaty feet, ever). I called the Dr's office today and they will get back to me."

RiverT (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "Was on this for 3 days and had very watery diarrhea for all of them. When I informed my doctor, she told me to immediately stop taking it because of the risk of it possibly killing all good bacteria in my gut, which would require other medications to treat. The drug also did very little to ease my other symptoms. I ended up taking z-pak instead and it worked well."

Sara Nicole (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Otitis Media: "I was given this drug for an ear infection, taken 2 times a day for 10 days. After the first day, I had diarrhea and nausea. I stopped taking this on day 4, the symptoms were too much and my ears felt no improvement."

Natalie D. February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I guess I'm one of the few having a positive experience. I was given this drug for a sinus infection in my sphenoid sinus. I'm on day 10 of 14. I just had a CT and the severe infection is almost gone. I'm having some stomach cramps that's started today (and may not even be related). I will start taking probiotics after these reviews though!"

Kathrynlf February 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I took this medication on Christmas Eve in 2015. Twenty minutes after taking a single pill, I don't remember the dosage, I completely blacked out. My face had gotten extremely red and I had dropped an entire plate of hot food on myself. My mother changed my clothes and I woke up an hour later, not knowing what had happened, and wondering why I was wearing different clothes. One half of my tongue was numb for about a week and a half. It was an absolutely terrifying experience."

Scarred4life February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Omnicef (cefdinir) for Sinusitis: "I took this medicine for ten days. took 300mg twice a day.It was horrible the side effects that I experienced.I had the worse yeast infection and broke out in the worst rash I have ever seen. It would bleed and itched so bad it about drove me crazy.I finally went back to the Dr.Took three month to get it all healed up.They should take this medicine off the market."

Anonymous February 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Worst drug ever. Took for 21 days. Still sick plus have racing heart, shortness of breath and chest pain. Was told these effects can last for months or subside then return later."

Ballet Lady February 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Otitis Media: "My son was prescribed this medication due to an ear infection. After about 3 days on it his whole body was covered in hives. He had huge welts from head to toe. He was 2 at the time. He was given steroids to help bring down the hives and his feet swelled like balloons. He was on the steroids for 2 days before his feet swelled. I do not recommend this antibiotic for younger kids. Very bad experience. Please stay away at all costs."

Anonymous035 January 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Thankfully this antibiotic worked for my severe sinusitis sinus infection when nothing else would. No side effects and it started working right away."

Patsyz (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I've had roughly 8 sinus infections over the past 20 years and this is the first time I've been prescribed Cefdinir. I've taken it as prescribed, one pill every 12 hours, for the past 24 hours. Unknown if this is working on my sinusitis, as my attention is now 110% focused on the most horrific and violent case of perpetual diarrhea I've ever experienced. Colonoscopy prep doesn't compare to this. The prescribing doctor and I will be having a conversation when the clinic opens later today."

Cure worse than the Cause (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2017