User Reviews for Cefdinir

Also known as: Omnicef, Omnicef Omni-Pac

Learn more about Cefdinir.

Pneumonia 3 reviews 182 medications

Skin and Structure Infection 1 reviews 72 medications

Skin or Soft Tissue Infection 1 reviews 161 medications

Summary of Cefdinir reviews 144 reviews 4.5

Reviews for Cefdinir

For Bronchitis: "Do any of you people whining about diarrhea realize that all antibiotics can cause diarrhea? Would you rather have loose stools or die of pneumonia... seems like a no-brainer to me. It is not the doctor's job~more like the pharmacist and your own since you are your own advocate for your health to adequately research the drugs you put into your body! Yikes!!! Your doctor is attempting to help you get better."

Steele's mom (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2017

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I'll give it credit that it did make me feel better - but the cost was a very upset stomach. I've never had issues with antibiotics upsetting my stomach before, but this medicine gave me really bad diarrhea one day after starting it. Still not over the diarrhea after almost a week off the medicine. Obviously everyone reacts different, but I won't be using this medicine again."

nashtowntn January 13, 2017

For Sinusitis: "My 10 year old was given this for a sinus infection and he threw up within 10 minutes of giving it to him. I will never get this med again!!! Waiting for doc to change his meds never again"

Mom2boyz January 7, 2017

For Sinusitis: "I was given this antibiotic for the first time just around the day before new years Eve 2017 and man I will never take this again. Like most the posts I read say it was fine for about 5 days then on the 6th day I noticed stomach cramping and severe diarrhea. I stopped on day 7 when I started realizing it is the antibiotic. In doing the research I found that this is one of those broad spectrum bacteria killers so it also kills the good bacteria and I think doctors should be more restrictive on prescribing this. Hopefully I will be back to normal in a few days if not I guess back to the ER I go."

Marine chic (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

For Sinusitis: "First sinus infection at 59 yrs old. My doc is on vacation so "nurse practitioner" prescribes cefdinir, took for 5 days, stopped because side effects,cramping,diarrhea. Was given a script of amoxicillin which knocked out the sinus problem. The cefdinir effects went away a few days after I quit them, but as the warning says came back 8 weeks later with a vengeance. Has been 3 months now, my PCP referred me to Gastro but when I told them I had went to ER and had blood work and test for C-Diff 4 days before she called, I was told they could do a colonoscopy but if I had an inflamed colon there was nothing they could do but make it worse, if not inflamed they could prescribe a couple meds. Neg for c-diff, taken 3 bottles of probiotics, lost?"

ihatecefdiner January 1, 2017

For Sinusitis: "Taking this antibiotic was fine for around 6 days, and then I was struck with intense nausea. Eventually it ended in me throwing up and unable to eat for a day. My muscles hurt and I had bad diarrhea. Also, my sinusitis was not helped AT ALL."

MollyZ December 29, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Horrible. Given for sinus infection. Day 8 today not feeling better. Got the rash right away but tolerated it because I was so miserable from sinus infection I wanted to get better. Day 5 flu like symptoms, thought maybe I had caught the flu from son? Now don't think that was it, think it was the meds. High fever aches and pains. Have had horrible headaches throughout, assumed it was because of sinusitis now wondering if it was from meds. called doctor on day 6 and she said to keep taking it and call back if not better in another day. Now have developed cough and diarrhea. After reading these reviews wish I had read them sooner.... pretty sure all my new symptoms not related to sinus infection but to this medicine."

MichM December 28, 2016

For Otitis Media: "My prescription was prescribed by my GP for an ear infection. After 5 days my mouth became very sore & I called & spoke with the nurse who said keep taking it. Keep taking it?? My mouth is on fire. The tongue, gums, roof. I quit. It is now 20 days later and my condition is the same. My dentist prescribed a mouthwash and it helps but I am trying Biotin mouthwash now as I read online was good for this condition and it does give great relief. I hope this helps someone else as this is not a comfortable feeling."

Tongue of fire? December 27, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Gave it to my daugher (4 yrs.), couple of days later, she had hives allover her body, and hands swollen real bad. She had an allergic reaction to this medicine. Wish I read the reviews before."

LA. (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 16, 2016

For Bronchitis: "I started taking Cefdining for an upper respiratory infection and within 4 days I had the worse vaginal itching. I stopped using this medicine and my symptoms have calmed down.This medicine is horrible!"

Lynn Purifoy (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2016

For Otitis Media: "Had sinus infection. Dr. Prescribed cefdinir , got a shot, and prednisone. 3 days of treatment with cefdinir, no better and feeling worse. Lethargic, dizzy. Stopped cefdinir and started getting better. 2 days later I break out in horrific, painful itching hives on my entire body !!! ER visit. Steroid shot and hydroxyzine 2 days and still suffering unbearable pain and itching! Saw my GP today. She 's never ever seen allergic reaction this severe! Just have to wait it out and in meantime SUFFER!!! Do not use this drug!"

Mimiof3 November 22, 2016

For Sinusitis: "My six month old had two doses before we had to stop due to GI issues. Over a week later and she still has painful gas and diarrhea. We're tired because she doesn't sleep well. Cefdinir should be illegal."

Ihatecefdinir (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I had a horrible experience on cefdinir. I was prescribed it for sinusitis, 300mg twice per day for 10 days. 2 hours after the first dose I started throwing up constantly. After about 3 hours of throwing up I was feeling weak and dizzy and was in a lot of. I went to the ER and they started IV fluids for severe dehydration. That's when the diarrhea started. Worst diarrhea of my life (I have IBS so I've had some pretty bad diarrhea.) After the fluids and Zofran and dilauted and bentyl the throwing up finally stopped. The ER doc said it was because of the cefdinir. I never took a second dose. I would've rather just let the sinusitis play itself out than deal with these side effects from cefdinir. I'll never take it again."

Nevertakingitagain (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2016

For Sinusitis: "My 11 yr old daughter had a sinus infection and was prescribed 300mg 2 times a day. Within an hr of the first dose she became VERY ill. Turned Pamela white and eyes dialled as if she were going to pass out. I called the dr immediately and they said the effects would pass. We discontinued immediately and was prescribed a different antibiotic and she was fine. This drug is horrible and can't believe it's still being used."

AStiltz October 16, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I was prescribed a 10-day dose of this horrific medication. By day 3, I was having diarrhea at least 10 times a day. I stopped taking it on day 5 after experiencing a terrible headache and intense joint pain, neither of which could by relieved by over the counter pain killers. That was 3 months ago and I'm still not back to normal. I still have frequent bouts of diarrhea. My doc assures me it will go away with time and probiotics, but 3 months of diarrhea is too serious a side effect in my opinion. Also, this medication cost me over $50. Most other antibiotics are either free or cost a lot less than this poison!"

Anonymous September 26, 2016

For Sinusitis: "My 5 year old daughter was given this medication for sinusitis. 30 minutes after her first dose, she started trembling. We didn't know what was going on. Then suddenly she started vomiting. We decided it was a reaction to Cefdinir. Very scary. Threw the rest of it away."

Ciaoko September 22, 2016

For Strep Throat: "My husband was given this for strep throat. It did not help at all. After 6 days on this medication, he still had pus in his throat. Dr switched him to new antibiotic and he felt so much better within 5 hours"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2016

For Strep Throat: "I've got strep throat probably about 4 times in the last 12 months, I've usually got Amoxicillin for strep (what my dr always prescribes) a couple months ago when I got strep throat, I went to my dr and it was after hours so I seen someone I never seen before. She gave me a steroid shot for swelling and also a antibiotic shot, prescribed cefdinir two times daily for ten days. It worked great! I felt better after two pills the first night. Well I got it again a few days ago and was prescribed cefdinir again and I'm so glad because it works super fast! Better than amoxicillin in my opinion. The only side affect is diarrhea. I haven't really had it this time but I did the first time I took it. LOVE this medicine. I recommend it."

Hy91896 July 31, 2016

For Strep Throat: "The zpacks and erthromycin gives me horrible stomach pain burning and diarhea. Cefdiner does not at all. Make sure to take 12 hours apart and dont take alcohol or vitamins and it will help the medicine work."

Works good for sinus and bronc (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2016

For Sinusitis: "After four days on Cefdinir, I developed bad diarrhea that had me going 30+ times to the bathroom. Went to the doctor to find out I had developed a severe case of C. Diff. I was very weak, lost 10 pounds in a week and as pale as can be. Metronidazole was the first medicine we tried, three times a day for 10 days. It seemed to work until five days after the prescription was finished. So then I went back to the doctor and got Vancomycin which finally cured it. Overall, I had to miss almost a month of school and took a while to feel normal again. I was told once you get C. Diff you are more prone to getting it again. Always take a probiotic when prescribed an antibiotic to replenish the lost bacteria!"

Sky95 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2016

For Strep Throat: "Read all the reviews and don't agree with any of them. I felt a huge improvement only after the 1st dose. I only took two doses so far and so far so good!!"

Island88 (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2016

For Bronchitis: "Prescribes this for a 3 week cough suspected walking pneumonia or bronchitis and cough is calming but 3 days into this and the diarrhea is horrible. Feels like I am prepping for a colonoscopy. Stomach is constantly gurgling and roiling. Deficating while coughing at times. I am calling doc to ask for something else cause I can't leave the house with this diarrhea. Need to get on a plane in 6 days. There must be something with less diarrhea side effect"

Elle91 (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

For Otitis Media: "My 6 year old Daughter was given this medication for supposed wheezing in her lungs . 3rd dose she broke out all over her face & body! Itched horribly. Ended up taking her to an ER & doctor said to immediately stop this medication & had to give her a cortisone shot to reduce the rash :( I strongly advise to reconsider if given this medication and you have other options."

Mommy0323 June 17, 2016

Omnicef (cefdinir) for Pneumonia: "Let's talk about my sickness first. I was dipping my self into a freezing water pool for approximately 5 minutes a day. The next morning I felt the weather is so much colder so I knew its a fever. I'm very healthy person my body I make sure that my body is clean, I drink a lot of water and cleaning drinks so my stomach is always clean. The doctor prescriped me fevadol and omnicef. Omnicef experience were horrible. Very bad diarrhea every 15 minutes or so even if there is nothing in my body. I couldn't sleep for more than 24 hours with complete alertness and no feeling of exhaustion. eating it without food will make it worse. I used it for 2 days only. Dosage was 1 300mg twice a day. I got Dizziness, back pain, headache and diarrhea."

191Omar June 15, 2016

For Strep Throat: "I have only been on this medicine for 3 days and I have severe diarrhea. I was sick for a week with a high fever but this medicine has made me feel worse. I am going to stop taking it immediately. The label also says you can continue to have the diarrhea for weeks or months after."

Katabear (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2016