User Reviews for Cefdinir

Also known as: Omnicef, Omnicef Omni-Pac

Learn more about Cefdinir.

Cefdinir Rating Summary

4.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 253 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Cefdinir to treat Sinusitis

"I have chronic sinusitis and was prescribed cefdinir. I had no known allergies to antibiotics (and have been on MANY over the years) Two days into treatment I woke with my face swollen and covered in hives. My throat began swelling and I was rushed to the ER. After two Epi shots and IV epinephrine, I spent 5 days in intensive care with anaphylaxis and the worst case of hives I have ever experienced. It was, by far, the most agonizing pain I've endured. It took months to go away with steroids, antibiotics and prescription antihistamines. It have permanent scarring on my body as a result of the hives. I'm now allergic to all cephalosporins."

Mallyhack January 9, 2017

"My 10 year old was given this for a sinus infection and he threw up within 10 minutes of giving it to him. I will never get this med again!!! Waiting for doc to change his meds never again"

Mom2boyz January 7, 2017

"I was given this antibiotic for the first time just around the day before new years Eve 2017 and man I will never take this again. Like most the posts I read say it was fine for about 5 days then on the 6th day I noticed stomach cramping and severe diarrhea. I stopped on day 7 when I started realizing it is the antibiotic. In doing the research I found that this is one of those broad spectrum bacteria killers so it also kills the good bacteria and I think doctors should be more restrictive on prescribing this. Hopefully I will be back to normal in a few days if not I guess back to the ER I go."

Marine chic (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

"First sinus infection at 59 yrs old. My doc is on vacation so "nurse practitioner" prescribes cefdinir, took for 5 days, stopped because side effects,cramping,diarrhea. Was given a script of amoxicillin which knocked out the sinus problem. The cefdinir effects went away a few days after I quit them, but as the warning says came back 8 weeks later with a vengeance. Has been 3 months now, my PCP referred me to Gastro but when I told them I had went to ER and had blood work and test for C-Diff 4 days before she called, I was told they could do a colonoscopy but if I had an inflamed colon there was nothing they could do but make it worse, if not inflamed they could prescribe a couple meds. Neg for c-diff, taken 3 bottles of probiotics, lost?"

ihatecefdiner January 1, 2017

"Taking this antibiotic was fine for around 6 days, and then I was struck with intense nausea. Eventually it ended in me throwing up and unable to eat for a day. My muscles hurt and I had bad diarrhea. Also, my sinusitis was not helped AT ALL."

MollyZ December 29, 2016

"Horrible. Given for sinus infection. Day 8 today not feeling better. Got the rash right away but tolerated it because I was so miserable from sinus infection I wanted to get better. Day 5 flu like symptoms, thought maybe I had caught the flu from son? Now don't think that was it, think it was the meds. High fever aches and pains. Have had horrible headaches throughout, assumed it was because of sinusitis now wondering if it was from meds. called doctor on day 6 and she said to keep taking it and call back if not better in another day. Now have developed cough and diarrhea. After reading these reviews wish I had read them sooner.... pretty sure all my new symptoms not related to sinus infection but to this medicine."

MichM December 28, 2016

"Gave it to my daugher (4 yrs.), couple of days later, she had hives allover her body, and hands swollen real bad. She had an allergic reaction to this medicine. Wish I read the reviews before."

LA. (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 16, 2016

"My six month old had two doses before we had to stop due to GI issues. Over a week later and she still has painful gas and diarrhea. We're tired because she doesn't sleep well. Cefdinir should be illegal."

Ihatecefdinir (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

"I had a horrible experience on cefdinir. I was prescribed it for sinusitis, 300mg twice per day for 10 days. 2 hours after the first dose I started throwing up constantly. After about 3 hours of throwing up I was feeling weak and dizzy and was in a lot of. I went to the ER and they started IV fluids for severe dehydration. That's when the diarrhea started. Worst diarrhea of my life (I have IBS so I've had some pretty bad diarrhea.) After the fluids and Zofran and dilauted and bentyl the throwing up finally stopped. The ER doc said it was because of the cefdinir. I never took a second dose. I would've rather just let the sinusitis play itself out than deal with these side effects from cefdinir. I'll never take it again."

Nevertakingitagain (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2016

"My 11 yr old daughter had a sinus infection and was prescribed 300mg 2 times a day. Within an hr of the first dose she became VERY ill. Turned Pamela white and eyes dialled as if she were going to pass out. I called the dr immediately and they said the effects would pass. We discontinued immediately and was prescribed a different antibiotic and she was fine. This drug is horrible and can't believe it's still being used."

AStiltz October 16, 2016

"I was prescribed a 10-day dose of this horrific medication. By day 3, I was having diarrhea at least 10 times a day. I stopped taking it on day 5 after experiencing a terrible headache and intense joint pain, neither of which could by relieved by over the counter pain killers. That was 3 months ago and I'm still not back to normal. I still have frequent bouts of diarrhea. My doc assures me it will go away with time and probiotics, but 3 months of diarrhea is too serious a side effect in my opinion. Also, this medication cost me over $50. Most other antibiotics are either free or cost a lot less than this poison!"

Anonymous September 26, 2016

"My 5 year old daughter was given this medication for sinusitis. 30 minutes after her first dose, she started trembling. We didn't know what was going on. Then suddenly she started vomiting. We decided it was a reaction to Cefdinir. Very scary. Threw the rest of it away."

Ciaoko September 22, 2016

"After four days on Cefdinir, I developed bad diarrhea that had me going 30+ times to the bathroom. Went to the doctor to find out I had developed a severe case of C. Diff. I was very weak, lost 10 pounds in a week and as pale as can be. Metronidazole was the first medicine we tried, three times a day for 10 days. It seemed to work until five days after the prescription was finished. So then I went back to the doctor and got Vancomycin which finally cured it. Overall, I had to miss almost a month of school and took a while to feel normal again. I was told once you get C. Diff you are more prone to getting it again. Always take a probiotic when prescribed an antibiotic to replenish the lost bacteria!"

Sky95 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2016

"I have been taking this medicine for sinusitis (300 mg twice a day), or however you spell it. It has only been 1 day so I have only taken it twice, spaced out between 12 hours . One at 7:18am and one at 7:18 pm. I have now been awake since 4 am with upset stomach , stomach gurgling,and my bowels are slowly turning into diarrhea. I only made a bowel movement once while taking this so far and I can tell it is about to go down if I keep taking it :( (I am normally vert constipated). As far as for my sinusitis, it has seemed to improve my sore,itchy throat a little. I guess I should stick I out and drink plenty of water to see how i feel. I just do notttttt want to vomit . :("

Reneek777778 May 25, 2016

"Do not take this drug. I am not allergic to any antibiotics and haven't ever had a bad experience. Because of this drug, I am now fighting a very serious c difficile infection. Most people haven't even heard of c diff, but when you do, your life changes. C difficile isn't as treatable as the internet suggests. This drug is absolutely the reason my life has changed. Do not take it. In fact, ANYTIME you take an antibiotic, take a probiotic (spaced away from the antibiotic dose) with it. And another thing I've learned, there are certain antibiotics you should ask for--NARROW spectrum, ALWAYS. Broad-spectrum antibiotics destroy your gut. If you have to take a broad-spectrum antibiotic, supplement with a probiotic. I cannot stress this enough!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

Omnicef (cefdinir): "I have been on this for 5 days, sort of working, still have the headache though. I haven't really had any side affects yet. But I was given a 21 day dosage for (2) 300mg capsules. I have had 4 sinus infections since January. Hope it helps get rid of the headache. It has helped with the drainage and coughing though."

Bootscasper April 25, 2016

"I've tried Cefdinir twice. It helped my infection but in both cases I could not finish the drug because of severe nausea and vomiting. I won't take it again."

Rose118 April 18, 2016

"300mg. Took medicine once a day for ten days. First day went smoothly, second day and onward, terrible headache in the center of my forehead and on the right side of my head. No other side effects. Around the fourth day, I called the pharmacist and they advised that I take it at night before bed before the headache sets in. Best decision."

Simoneee March 26, 2016

"Diarrhea after day 2, i stopped after 7th day when i started vomiting, by then, sinus infection was twice as bad. & this med added, bronchial infection, sneezing, itchy eyes & nose. I feel like the Dr prescribed it to watch me like a ginnue pig. Dr office just said, well those are the side effects."

Vtchgo March 8, 2016

"I took Z Pack for full pack and still had upper respitory infection so my Dr prescribed this. I took it for 2 days and then started severe diarrhea and after taking it for 5 days I had to call 911 to get to the hospital. I was so dehydrated with diarrhea and nausea so bad I had to be hospitalized for six days! I see I'm not the only one that had these side effects."

Ihatethisdrug February 23, 2016

"I am a 47 year old female that has asthma. I was only breathing 200 in my peak flow meter when I should have a peak flow of 400. I had bronchitis from catching a cold. My doctor prescribed this to me and I got a horrible headache and felt nauseous after the first pill so I stopped taking them. I started reading about food combining, changed my diet and shortly after and became healthier."

Anonymous February 19, 2016

"I suffer from multiple sinus infections every year. Three days ago I was prescribed cefdinir for the first time. It has caused unbearable nausea and diarrhea. After hearing that it has done the same for so many others, it angers me that a doctor would even consider prescribing this drug when there are other options that work better and do not have unacceptable side effects. Cefdinir is a failure in the field of medicine."

Max35 February 5, 2016

"Started this to fight a sinus infection. 4 days in seemed to improve. Only negative was a bad headache. Night 4 horrible night sweats and chills to the bone. I couldn't function at work and was still getting chills and stomach cramps. Then the constant diahrrea started. Day 5 I had a fever of 102 to go along with body shakes, headache and still diahrrea. I thought it was the flu so continued medication but by day 7 have had no relief from it, called my Dr and she told me to stop meds immediately. I just stopped and hoping for some relief. I am dehydrated and weak and still can't leave the bathroom for more than 20 minutes! Bad reaction and hoping for some relief!"

NicoleMI (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2016

"Finished thus medicine only too remain sick. I think they need to rethink this one.... it was as if I took nothing. Horrible migraines for 4 days."

1ststickwoman January 2, 2016

"I saw my Dr for bad sinus infection. He prescribed cefdinir. I took the first one and within a short while was violently vomiting, sweating profusely, very weak. Called 911 to help get me off the floor into a chair to be wheeled to the car. Went to the emergency room. ER doc said nausea & vomiting due to the serious upper respiratory infection, but I see here it may have been the cefdinir. If any of the future doses make me sick, I'm going to ask for different antibiotic."

juliette10 December 31, 2015