User Reviews for Cefdinir to treat Sinusitis

Cefdinir has an average rating of 3.8 out of 10 from a total of 132 ratings for the treatment of Sinusitis. 22% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 58% reported a negative effect.

Cefdinir Rating Summary

3.8/10 average rating

Compare all 173 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Cefdinir

Ben · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2019

“Let me just say first, I was really scarred after reading all these reviews, and was very reluctant to take it. But I really wanted to knock the sore throat and sinus problem I had had for 3 weeks at that point. I had taken amoxicillin and felt better for a week, but it came right back, so I was put on Cefdinir. I took it it 2x a day for 10 days. I took it with a daily probiotic and Greek yogurt, and even Garlic Pills, and pepto bismuth when necessary. The only issue I had is one day I decided to eat buffalo wings about 3 days in during a football game... regretted that the next day. Other than that, I have zero complaints and my infections were finally knocked out. If you are reading the reviews and are reluctant, check with you doctor that you aren’t allergic to any medicines like this, and if you aren’t, go for it.”

Ry September 14, 2019

“I’ve taken this medicine before but I guess I was very sick That I never noticed the side effects or maybe didn’t get them till now. I was on 300mg cefdinir 2x for 7 days. By day 6 I finally realized I was having adverse reactions and not just sick. From a severe headache that nothing is helping that includes pins and needles, with an extremely ITCHY SCALP which are all still present 24hrs after stopping! it’s driving me mad! Made my anxiety go thru the roof, pressure in my ears with tinnitus, intestinal distress, lack of appetite, thirst, feeling irregular heart beating, feelings of overall malaise & doom. Seriously contemplated going to ER thinking I was having a major health crisis till I looked at my date book & everything started on day 2 of antibiotics. I doubt it helped at all being I tried hiding in bed most of the time. Hope this helps someone. Always journal when you're sick;)”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2018

“I had severe sinusitis/throat infection and within 24 hour of taking cefdinir, I felt 1000x better, literally. I could finally drink water without being in pain because I could barely swallow beforehand. Yes, the side effects definitely suck especially since I have the worst yeast infection due to the antibiotics but I recommend cefdinir. Don’t let others experience with it scare you from taking it. Everyone’s different.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2021

“I took cednifir for 7 days. My first symptoms were hives that started on the 6th day. Since I'm allergic to ampicillin I decided to stop taking cednifir because of the hives. Once I stopped taking it. I had two migraines. I've been having anxiety everyday since I stopped cednifir. Even today, a slight cough and also weird back and chest pain when I breathe. Have anyone else experienced any of these symptoms?”

Mbkb1 · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2019

“Every winter, I end up with sinusitis/infection that triggers intractable migraine. It’s beyond miserable! This is the first year I have been prescribed cefdinir. I was very nervous to try it after reading reviews, but I am happy to report so far, I have no issues aside from a noisier stomach. To be fair, I am also taking Prednisone. I feel SO much better on just day 3! I will update if I end up with bad side effects, but so far, so good.”

Maya October 17, 2019

“I’m a healthy 22 year old female with no health problems. The pharmacist gave me an antibiotic called Encef to treat a flu, it contains cefdinir. 30 minutes after taking it I started to feel anxious and discomfort. I started getting shortness of breath and suddenly my heart just pumped one really strong pump and continued with extreme fast heartbeats. I fell to the ground and couldn’t get up anymore, I couldn’t breathe well and it felt like I was having a heart attack. After being taken to a hospital 2 hours passed and the nurse told me that my heartbeat is back to normal and that I can take the antibiotic again, and that it wasn’t the cause of my incident. The next morning I woke up fine, and when I took the second pill of the antibiotic I experienced the same thing again after 30 minutes exactly, the sudden pump of my heart and fast heartbeats with shortness of breaths and severe anxiety. It felt like I was literally dying for about 30 mins. I never took this medicine again.”

Robert November 17, 2019

“I was prescribed this medication to fight sinusitis back in August 2018, but all it did is kill pretty kill my intestinal system. I have the worse diarrhea I have ever had in my entire 50 plus years. For the past 15 months it has been a living an awful life. I have had to take anti diarrhea medication almost daily. Some days it is so bad I can't leave my house for fear of an accident. There are times I don't make it to the bathroom. I have been seeing a Gastrointestinal Specialist multiple times trying to get this resolved. They are still trying to figure out how to stop the episodes. I have taken antibiotics in the past with no side-effects, but this is the worst. The negative side-effects from Cefdinir will make a big impact on your quality of life. It has effected my personal and professional life as well as my finances. I can only hope that more people read the warnings of any drugs so you can avoid potential issues that pharmacist or doctors don't tell you about.”

t.i.g November 2, 2013

Omnicef (cefdinir): “Fantastic at clearing the sinus infection. I'm on day 4 and it's almost completely gone. The first two days were miraculous. But then. Starting day 3 ... My stomach and intestines are rumbling almost constantly and I'm "pooping" brown water 5+ times a day. I'm also utterly exhausted and weak, making it virtually impossible to actually do anything. If this gets much worse, I'm going to have to stop using this before the 10-day course runs out.”

Lonely June 12, 2019

“Went 10 days ago to the doctors for runny nose and a real bad cough both being productive put me on cefdinir 300mg. On last day of taking medication and I am still no better coughing to the point that my voice is raspy I almost pass out my chest burns and hurts from coughing so much still have a drainage still have bloody discharge in my nose on the good side no side effects is just not working for me”

Eva · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

“Second time I’m on this cefdinir at a dose of 300mg for ten days, twice daily. Worst medicine with horrendous side effects: Light headed, acid reflux, inability to sleep, nausea, with severe reactions. Almost lost consciousness several times, inability to control urine and of course severe diarrhea. Horrible stuff.”

Ellyn D February 11, 2020

“I took this medication cefdinir 300mg dose 2x a day for a sinus infection for 10 days. I have a VERY VERY sensitive stomach--I didn't have ANY stomach upset. (maybe just some gas) Don't let the reviews scare you if you haven't started them yet. I tend to be the 1 in 100 people that have reactions and I was fine. By day 10 I did end up with a yeast infection---woohoo for being female. After day 2/3 my face felt better. Make sure you take them with a meal and you'll be fine. Tip: take a probiotic 2 hours after your antibiotic Although it didn't touch my ear infection, I'm now on a round of amox.”

Robert · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2018

“This was my 3rd trip to the doctor , first I was given 875 mg amoxcillin but 3 days later I was worse. Went to an urgent care clinic and was given a shot of rocephin, a steroid and another antibiotic. Those 3 things cured the sinusitis , and the bronchitis I had , but I was still sick. The dr this time prescribed cefdinir and it took 5 days , but on the 5th day my pneumonia was gone - finally relief! Now, I get to see how long it lasts. 3 days not sick so far (I'm one of those unlucky people that are sick more than they are healthy) and the cause is 9 times out of ten , sinusitis. If it progresses without infection , well...let's put it this way . I have sinusitis 9 to 10 times a year .. bronchitis 7 to 8 times a year and full blown pneumonia at least 3 to 4 times a year. I live with this as normal. Cefdinir really helped me this time.”

WhitDean January 31, 2020

“I was prescribed this cefdinir for sinus infection. Supposed to take one 300mg pill twice a day for 7 days. I took the first pill around 7 this morning and by 11 I had horrible cramps and nausea and diarrhea. It’s now 1:30 and I cannot leave the toilet. I will not be taking another pill if I survive this day. If you’re looking for a good colon cleanse, try these. Otherwise AVOID AT ALL COSTS.”

Chelle913 February 5, 2014

“I am on Day 6 of this antibiotic. I am not a huge fan of antibiotics but my vertigo and head pressure from the sinus infection was enough to get me on them. For the first 2 days I had no vertigo and head pressure, but now I experience some of it on and off the day. So I use a Neti Pot to clear out sinuses. Two days ago I had Post Nasal Drip where I ended up throwing up mucus in the middle of the night. With my experience, I have noticed a loss of appetite and have lost about 5-6 pounds. If I do not take the capsule with food I will end up with heartburn. I am looking forward to being over with this (4 more days to go) I take a probiotic in between the doses for my digestion.”

EmmiB-G August 5, 2010

Omnicef (cefdinir): “I have taken many, many times for my chronic sinus infections and it seems to be the only thing that ever gets rid of the infection. I do get stomach aches from it, and nausea but it does what it's supposed to.”

Fayda · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2020

“I've been taking for 6 days for acute bronchitis. I was taking with Tamiflu but finished that prescription. I have very uncomfortable heartburn and my throat feels a bit weird and itchy but i don't have cold symptoms. My blood pressure has also increased and my heart is racing. I've been searching to find if Cednifir increases blood pressure but haven't been able to find anything. I feel like if you have high blood pressure this may not be for you. Also the heartburn is very uncomfortable. Like on a scale of 1-10 my heartburn is at a 6.”

m529 · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2019

“started taking this cefdinir medication after having a cold that turned into a sinus infection. Took both doses day 1 but then read the reviews and decided to stop; however, the sinus infection was so frustrating I decided to continue and started up the next day. Was fine for 1.5 days but that night I got terrible aching in my legs and bad dry mouth along with insomnia and anxiety. Although I saw an improvement in the infection within the time I was taking it, I’ve taken other antibiotics that work just as well without the side effects and will not be taking this again. I just hope it leaves my system and causes no other issues:/”

feellikecrap May 19, 2010

“I am on day 7 of this antibiotic for a sinus infection. While my symptoms have all but gone, I still have to keep taking it of course. I noticed a couple of days ago that I was feeling "funny" approximately 2 hours after taking the medicine. It wasn't like that at first but now I have body aches, headache, chills...kind of reminds me of the flu. ”

Sickmamma · Taken for less than 1 month August 17, 2019

“I took cefdinir antibiotic for a sinus infection for three days. I ended up having to stop because I was having such bad diarrhea and cramping which isn’t good since I’m pregnant also. Ended up having to go to the doctor three different times to figure out I now I now have a C-diff infection from this medicine and now have to take a different antibiotic to clear that up. If you’ve never heard of C-diff, it’s an infection your intestines and makes you have to go to the bathroom ten or more times a day! Wish I never would’ve started this antibiotic in the first place!”

Cheyenne · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2020

“After 4-5 days of taking this antibiotic cefdinir, I began to turn yellow because my liver had begun to shut down. Fortunately, my doctor ran a test which showed Bilirubin to be off the charts. I was instructed to get to the emergency room, ASAP. Ended up in the hospital for four days. Apparently I am “one in 100,000”, but I would like for the manufacturer to pay my hospital bill. Once I stopped taking Cefdenir, my liver recovered rapidly.”

Cefdinir's no friend of mine November 9, 2009

“I was prescribed Cefdinir after getting a sinus infection and bronchitis. It solved that problem in just a few days, but after 3 days on it, my diarrhea became intolerable, far worse than the original sickness. I stopped taking Cefdinir. It's been over 3 weeks now of non-stop gastrointestinal pain that landed me an clonoscopy procedure, stool cultures at the hospital, and persistent diarrhea. The worst of which culminated in a near black out from pain on the toilet. My case may have been a rare exception but I'm certain Cefdinir is no friend of mine.”

R August 20, 2018

Omnicef (cefdinir): “I started taking this for a sinus infection. The first 5 days I was fine and just added extra yogurt in my diet to be safe. By day 6 I had a little bit of diarrhea which was expected. It turned into diarrhea every 45 minutes until I had nothing left for the next 24 hours. Then it was like my bowels were being turned inside out and all that came out was black mucus. I immediately stopped the medication. I’ve been about 36 hours without it and things are slowly looking up. But I have had to miss work and other events because of it. My doctor said this was safe for those that are allergic to amoxicillin but apparently not. I do not recommend this to anyone. If you read most other reviews, it’s about the same thing.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 10, 2014

“Been taking this for five days. The pressure in my sinus is lessening, and my fever is gone, but mucus production has increased, and so now my cough is worse. Does this mean it's not working? The best way I've found to avoid the adverse digestive effects (vomiting, etc) is to take a strong probiotic to replenish what the antibiotic kills. You can ask your doctor for a prescription strength probiotic (they prescribe them for patients with ulcerative colitis) or find them in pill or drink form at a health food store. ”

Patriciaz September 17, 2017

“The bad reviews sound awful. I have taken this antibiotic several times and have no adverse reaction. I am currently on 300mg 2x daily and it kicks but on the infection. I recommend for those who can take it.”

Anonymous March 25, 2011

Omnicef (cefdinir): “300mg 2 x day for 7 days prescribed for Sinusitis. I think I may have felt like I was getting slightly better the 2nd and 3rd day but after that it went back to the same as before. No adverse side effects, just didn't seem to work.”

Learn more about Sinusitis