User Reviews for Cefdinir

Also known as: Omnicef, Omnicef Omni-Pac

Learn more about Cefdinir.

Cefdinir Rating Summary

4.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 242 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Cefdinir to treat Sinusitis

"I guess I'm one of the few having a positive experience. I was given this drug for a sinus infection in my sphenoid sinus. I'm on day 10 of 14. I just had a CT and the severe infection is almost gone. I'm having some stomach cramps that's started today (and may not even be related). I will start taking probiotics after these reviews though!"

Kathrynlf February 22, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took this medication on Christmas Eve in 2015. Twenty minutes after taking a single pill, I don't remember the dosage, I completely blacked out. My face had gotten extremely red and I had dropped an entire plate of hot food on myself. My mother changed my clothes and I woke up an hour later, not knowing what had happened, and wondering why I was wearing different clothes. One half of my tongue was numb for about a week and a half. It was an absolutely terrifying experience."

Scarred4life February 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Omnicef (cefdinir): "I took this medicine for ten days. took 300mg twice a day.It was horrible the side effects that I experienced.I had the worse yeast infection and broke out in the worst rash I have ever seen. It would bleed and itched so bad it about drove me crazy.I finally went back to the Dr.Took three month to get it all healed up.They should take this medicine off the market."

Anonymous February 16, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Worst drug ever. Took for 21 days. Still sick plus have racing heart, shortness of breath and chest pain. Was told these effects can last for months or subside then return later."

Ballet Lady February 13, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Thankfully this antibiotic worked for my severe sinusitis sinus infection when nothing else would. No side effects and it started working right away."

Patsyz (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had roughly 8 sinus infections over the past 20 years and this is the first time I've been prescribed Cefdinir. I've taken it as prescribed, one pill every 12 hours, for the past 24 hours. Unknown if this is working on my sinusitis, as my attention is now 110% focused on the most horrific and violent case of perpetual diarrhea I've ever experienced. Colonoscopy prep doesn't compare to this. The prescribing doctor and I will be having a conversation when the clinic opens later today."

Cure worse than the Cause (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My ENT prescribed Cefdinir (for 21 days) along with Azelastine nasal spray and Methylprednisolone (12 days) for a severe sinus infection that was not relieved by taking Amox-Clav. On day 7 I got a fever. The fever was off/on for 4 days. When that subsided the diarrhea hit. It was pale, white and fleshy stools with stomach cramps every couple hours. After 5 days I saw my family doctor who did blood tests. Coming back normal, she decided my symptoms were side effects of the Cefdinir. I had one day of feeling decent and then headache and fever is back. So far missed three days of work and a weekend. Diarrhea has subsided a little. Stools are now really soft/liquidy but normal color. I'm on day 15 of 21."

Tragedy (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have chronic sinusitis and was prescribed cefdinir. I had no known allergies to antibiotics (and have been on MANY over the years) Two days into treatment I woke with my face swollen and covered in hives. My throat began swelling and I was rushed to the ER. After two Epi shots and IV epinephrine, I spent 5 days in intensive care with anaphylaxis and the worst case of hives I have ever experienced. It was, by far, the most agonizing pain I've endured. It took months to go away with steroids, antibiotics and prescription antihistamines. It have permanent scarring on my body as a result of the hives. I'm now allergic to all cephalosporins."

Mallyhack January 9, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My 10 year old was given this for a sinus infection and he threw up within 10 minutes of giving it to him. I will never get this med again!!! Waiting for doc to change his meds never again"

Mom2boyz January 7, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given this antibiotic for the first time just around the day before new years Eve 2017 and man I will never take this again. Like most the posts I read say it was fine for about 5 days then on the 6th day I noticed stomach cramping and severe diarrhea. I stopped on day 7 when I started realizing it is the antibiotic. In doing the research I found that this is one of those broad spectrum bacteria killers so it also kills the good bacteria and I think doctors should be more restrictive on prescribing this. Hopefully I will be back to normal in a few days if not I guess back to the ER I go."

Marine chic (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"First sinus infection at 59 yrs old. My doc is on vacation so "nurse practitioner" prescribes cefdinir, took for 5 days, stopped because side effects,cramping,diarrhea. Was given a script of amoxicillin which knocked out the sinus problem. The cefdinir effects went away a few days after I quit them, but as the warning says came back 8 weeks later with a vengeance. Has been 3 months now, my PCP referred me to Gastro but when I told them I had went to ER and had blood work and test for C-Diff 4 days before she called, I was told they could do a colonoscopy but if I had an inflamed colon there was nothing they could do but make it worse, if not inflamed they could prescribe a couple meds. Neg for c-diff, taken 3 bottles of probiotics, lost?"

ihatecefdiner January 1, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Taking this antibiotic was fine for around 6 days, and then I was struck with intense nausea. Eventually it ended in me throwing up and unable to eat for a day. My muscles hurt and I had bad diarrhea. Also, my sinusitis was not helped AT ALL."

MollyZ December 29, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Horrible. Given for sinus infection. Day 8 today not feeling better. Got the rash right away but tolerated it because I was so miserable from sinus infection I wanted to get better. Day 5 flu like symptoms, thought maybe I had caught the flu from son? Now don't think that was it, think it was the meds. High fever aches and pains. Have had horrible headaches throughout, assumed it was because of sinusitis now wondering if it was from meds. called doctor on day 6 and she said to keep taking it and call back if not better in another day. Now have developed cough and diarrhea. After reading these reviews wish I had read them sooner.... pretty sure all my new symptoms not related to sinus infection but to this medicine."

MichM December 28, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Gave it to my daugher (4 yrs.), couple of days later, she had hives allover her body, and hands swollen real bad. She had an allergic reaction to this medicine. Wish I read the reviews before."

LA. (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 16, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My six month old had two doses before we had to stop due to GI issues. Over a week later and she still has painful gas and diarrhea. We're tired because she doesn't sleep well. Cefdinir should be illegal."

Ihatecefdinir (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a horrible experience on cefdinir. I was prescribed it for sinusitis, 300mg twice per day for 10 days. 2 hours after the first dose I started throwing up constantly. After about 3 hours of throwing up I was feeling weak and dizzy and was in a lot of. I went to the ER and they started IV fluids for severe dehydration. That's when the diarrhea started. Worst diarrhea of my life (I have IBS so I've had some pretty bad diarrhea.) After the fluids and Zofran and dilauted and bentyl the throwing up finally stopped. The ER doc said it was because of the cefdinir. I never took a second dose. I would've rather just let the sinusitis play itself out than deal with these side effects from cefdinir. I'll never take it again."

Nevertakingitagain (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My 11 yr old daughter had a sinus infection and was prescribed 300mg 2 times a day. Within an hr of the first dose she became VERY ill. Turned Pamela white and eyes dialled as if she were going to pass out. I called the dr immediately and they said the effects would pass. We discontinued immediately and was prescribed a different antibiotic and she was fine. This drug is horrible and can't believe it's still being used."

AStiltz October 16, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed a 10-day dose of this horrific medication. By day 3, I was having diarrhea at least 10 times a day. I stopped taking it on day 5 after experiencing a terrible headache and intense joint pain, neither of which could by relieved by over the counter pain killers. That was 3 months ago and I'm still not back to normal. I still have frequent bouts of diarrhea. My doc assures me it will go away with time and probiotics, but 3 months of diarrhea is too serious a side effect in my opinion. Also, this medication cost me over $50. Most other antibiotics are either free or cost a lot less than this poison!"

Anonymous September 26, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My 5 year old daughter was given this medication for sinusitis. 30 minutes after her first dose, she started trembling. We didn't know what was going on. Then suddenly she started vomiting. We decided it was a reaction to Cefdinir. Very scary. Threw the rest of it away."

Ciaoko September 22, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After four days on Cefdinir, I developed bad diarrhea that had me going 30+ times to the bathroom. Went to the doctor to find out I had developed a severe case of C. Diff. I was very weak, lost 10 pounds in a week and as pale as can be. Metronidazole was the first medicine we tried, three times a day for 10 days. It seemed to work until five days after the prescription was finished. So then I went back to the doctor and got Vancomycin which finally cured it. Overall, I had to miss almost a month of school and took a while to feel normal again. I was told once you get C. Diff you are more prone to getting it again. Always take a probiotic when prescribed an antibiotic to replenish the lost bacteria!"

Sky95 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking this medicine for sinusitis (300 mg twice a day), or however you spell it. It has only been 1 day so I have only taken it twice, spaced out between 12 hours . One at 7:18am and one at 7:18 pm. I have now been awake since 4 am with upset stomach , stomach gurgling,and my bowels are slowly turning into diarrhea. I only made a bowel movement once while taking this so far and I can tell it is about to go down if I keep taking it :( (I am normally vert constipated). As far as for my sinusitis, it has seemed to improve my sore,itchy throat a little. I guess I should stick I out and drink plenty of water to see how i feel. I just do notttttt want to vomit . :("

Reneek777778 May 25, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Do not take this drug. I am not allergic to any antibiotics and haven't ever had a bad experience. Because of this drug, I am now fighting a very serious c difficile infection. Most people haven't even heard of c diff, but when you do, your life changes. C difficile isn't as treatable as the internet suggests. This drug is absolutely the reason my life has changed. Do not take it. In fact, ANYTIME you take an antibiotic, take a probiotic (spaced away from the antibiotic dose) with it. And another thing I've learned, there are certain antibiotics you should ask for--NARROW spectrum, ALWAYS. Broad-spectrum antibiotics destroy your gut. If you have to take a broad-spectrum antibiotic, supplement with a probiotic. I cannot stress this enough!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Omnicef (cefdinir): "I have been on this for 5 days, sort of working, still have the headache though. I haven't really had any side affects yet. But I was given a 21 day dosage for (2) 300mg capsules. I have had 4 sinus infections since January. Hope it helps get rid of the headache. It has helped with the drainage and coughing though."

Bootscasper April 25, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've tried Cefdinir twice. It helped my infection but in both cases I could not finish the drug because of severe nausea and vomiting. I won't take it again."

Rose118 April 18, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"300mg. Took medicine once a day for ten days. First day went smoothly, second day and onward, terrible headache in the center of my forehead and on the right side of my head. No other side effects. Around the fourth day, I called the pharmacist and they advised that I take it at night before bed before the headache sets in. Best decision."

Simoneee March 26, 2016