User Reviews for Cefdinir

Also known as: Omnicef, Omnicef Omni-Pac

Learn more about Cefdinir.

Cefdinir Rating Summary

4.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 220 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Cefdinir to treat Sinusitis

"Was prescribed this for suspected strep throat. I had a fever so the doctor went ahead and prescribed this to me. First day I had loose stools and nausea. This continued until the fifth day I had severe muscle pain and a severe headache. It was a struggle to just walk to the bathroom. Right now I have watery diarrhea and stomach cramps. Earlier today I had fever and severe body chills. Over the counter pain meds have not made a dent. Last night I was tossing & turning in pain, and got very little sleep. Cure worse than the cause! I've tolerated many other antibiotics very well in the past, and I will never allow my doctor to prescribe this to me again."

cam49587 October 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The bad reviews sound awful. I have taken this antibiotic several times and have no adverse reaction. I am currently on 300mg 2x daily and it kicks but on the infection. I recommend for those who can take it."

Patriciaz September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking Cefdinir for 5 days so far with no adverse reactions as mentioned in some of the comments. No diarrhea, stomach cramps, etc. However, my sinus headache and cough are worse today...no better. I called my Dr. thinking he might want to give me a different type of antibiotic but he said to stay on the Cifdinir. It's not helping. I am miserable. :*("

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have never taken an antibiotic without experiencing at least some negative side effects due to being extremely sensitive to most medications. Omnicef/Cefdinar is the only antibiotic my body tolerates with zero negative side effects. Over the years I have taken it for respiratory infections, including sinus, and also for UTI/kidney infections. I am beyond grateful there's at least one medication like this one I can tolerate."

Detell1 July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had Sinusitis for 2 months. I was hesitant to take Cefdinir after reading all the bad reviews on here, but I finally gave in and it cleared it up in a matter of days with no side effects. Seems the most common side effects reported here are headache and diarrhea. I think many people aren't aware that Cefdinir should be taken with food, and that whenever you take any sort of antibiotic, you should follow up with a probiotic a couple of hours after each pill to re-balance your gut bacteria. These two steps are probably what kept from experiencing those side effects."

Jen Ettick July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Within 24 hours of taking I had a decrease in symptoms and started feeling better."

Mama2bear May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"was prescribed cefdinir 300mg twice daily for 10 days for a sinus infection. I was having sinus headaches and mild fever prior, so at first I did not realize that the headache was from cefdinir now, and not from sinus issues. After first 5 days, severe diarrhea developed, and headaches and nausea continued. But it did seemingly clear whatever was happening in the sinuses. I am on day 6. if headaches and stomach issues don't stop, will have to stop at day 7 and see if need another antibiotic or done. It's a very rough drug, and reading all the long term possible effects is a bit scary."

sinusitis sufferer (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Cleared up sinus and ear infection quickly with no side effects."

Bob Toppings April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took this medication twice a day for 10 days for infection of sinuses and adenoids. First three days my stomach hurt and headaches. Remainder of the days no side effects until the day I stopped taking it developed diarrhea and severe stomach cramping that didn't go away. 5 days after stopping the med now positive for C DIFF. I even took probiotics through the entire course of the med. Getting married in a week. Thanks a lot Cefdinir. I wanted everyone to be aware of this!!!!"

Annonymous6789 April 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Omnicef Omni-Pac (cefdinir): "I was just fine on Cefdinir for first six days (actually, remarked how this was one antibiotic that didn't wipe me out). I did take probiotics with it, along with the prednisone tables (bronchitis and sinus infection). Then on the seventh day, when I took the last two, the cramping started. OMG. I am so sick! It has been two days since I finished the dosage, and I have constant stomach ache and have trouble breathing. Gax X doesn't help the cramps much. I wish I read these reviews before I took this stuff. So, this is going to last and last and then, if it goes away, it comes back another day? That looks to be what I'm reading."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Unlike most of the reviews on here I did fine on the medication. I was on doxycycline for a week and then amox-clav (amoxicillin with clav acid) for a few days and none of it helped. Cefdinir hasn't worked as fast as I'd hoped but it does seem to be working. I'm on day 6 and haven't had any side effects. I can't sleep that well the last few nights but not sure if that is from the meds or not. No nausea or diarrhea. I have been taking it at 11 am and 11 pm everyday and making sure I don't eat dairy 2 hours before or after taking the pill. I also drink a lot of water and eat yogurt to get probiotics back."

Jesskay06 March 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I guess I'm one of the few having a positive experience. I was given this drug for a sinus infection in my sphenoid sinus. I'm on day 10 of 14. I just had a CT and the severe infection is almost gone. I'm having some stomach cramps that's started today (and may not even be related). I will start taking probiotics after these reviews though!"

Kathrynlf February 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this medication on Christmas Eve in 2015. Twenty minutes after taking a single pill, I don't remember the dosage, I completely blacked out. My face had gotten extremely red and I had dropped an entire plate of hot food on myself. My mother changed my clothes and I woke up an hour later, not knowing what had happened, and wondering why I was wearing different clothes. One half of my tongue was numb for about a week and a half. It was an absolutely terrifying experience."

Scarred4life February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Omnicef (cefdinir): "I took this medicine for ten days. took 300mg twice a day.It was horrible the side effects that I experienced.I had the worse yeast infection and broke out in the worst rash I have ever seen. It would bleed and itched so bad it about drove me crazy.I finally went back to the Dr.Took three month to get it all healed up.They should take this medicine off the market."

Anonymous February 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worst drug ever. Took for 21 days. Still sick plus have racing heart, shortness of breath and chest pain. Was told these effects can last for months or subside then return later."

Ballet Lady February 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Thankfully this antibiotic worked for my severe sinusitis sinus infection when nothing else would. No side effects and it started working right away."

Patsyz (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had roughly 8 sinus infections over the past 20 years and this is the first time I've been prescribed Cefdinir. I've taken it as prescribed, one pill every 12 hours, for the past 24 hours. Unknown if this is working on my sinusitis, as my attention is now 110% focused on the most horrific and violent case of perpetual diarrhea I've ever experienced. Colonoscopy prep doesn't compare to this. The prescribing doctor and I will be having a conversation when the clinic opens later today."

Cure worse than the Cause (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My ENT prescribed Cefdinir (for 21 days) along with Azelastine nasal spray and Methylprednisolone (12 days) for a severe sinus infection that was not relieved by taking Amox-Clav. On day 7 I got a fever. The fever was off/on for 4 days. When that subsided the diarrhea hit. It was pale, white and fleshy stools with stomach cramps every couple hours. After 5 days I saw my family doctor who did blood tests. Coming back normal, she decided my symptoms were side effects of the Cefdinir. I had one day of feeling decent and then headache and fever is back. So far missed three days of work and a weekend. Diarrhea has subsided a little. Stools are now really soft/liquidy but normal color. I'm on day 15 of 21."

Tragedy (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have chronic sinusitis and was prescribed cefdinir. I had no known allergies to antibiotics (and have been on MANY over the years) Two days into treatment I woke with my face swollen and covered in hives. My throat began swelling and I was rushed to the ER. After two Epi shots and IV epinephrine, I spent 5 days in intensive care with anaphylaxis and the worst case of hives I have ever experienced. It was, by far, the most agonizing pain I've endured. It took months to go away with steroids, antibiotics and prescription antihistamines. It have permanent scarring on my body as a result of the hives. I'm now allergic to all cephalosporins."

Mallyhack January 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My 10 year old was given this for a sinus infection and he threw up within 10 minutes of giving it to him. I will never get this med again!!! Waiting for doc to change his meds never again"

Mom2boyz January 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given this antibiotic for the first time just around the day before new years Eve 2017 and man I will never take this again. Like most the posts I read say it was fine for about 5 days then on the 6th day I noticed stomach cramping and severe diarrhea. I stopped on day 7 when I started realizing it is the antibiotic. In doing the research I found that this is one of those broad spectrum bacteria killers so it also kills the good bacteria and I think doctors should be more restrictive on prescribing this. Hopefully I will be back to normal in a few days if not I guess back to the ER I go."

Marine chic (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First sinus infection at 59 yrs old. My doc is on vacation so "nurse practitioner" prescribes cefdinir, took for 5 days, stopped because side effects,cramping,diarrhea. Was given a script of amoxicillin which knocked out the sinus problem. The cefdinir effects went away a few days after I quit them, but as the warning says came back 8 weeks later with a vengeance. Has been 3 months now, my PCP referred me to Gastro but when I told them I had went to ER and had blood work and test for C-Diff 4 days before she called, I was told they could do a colonoscopy but if I had an inflamed colon there was nothing they could do but make it worse, if not inflamed they could prescribe a couple meds. Neg for c-diff, taken 3 bottles of probiotics, lost?"

ihatecefdiner January 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taking this antibiotic was fine for around 6 days, and then I was struck with intense nausea. Eventually it ended in me throwing up and unable to eat for a day. My muscles hurt and I had bad diarrhea. Also, my sinusitis was not helped AT ALL."

MollyZ December 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Horrible. Given for sinus infection. Day 8 today not feeling better. Got the rash right away but tolerated it because I was so miserable from sinus infection I wanted to get better. Day 5 flu like symptoms, thought maybe I had caught the flu from son? Now don't think that was it, think it was the meds. High fever aches and pains. Have had horrible headaches throughout, assumed it was because of sinusitis now wondering if it was from meds. called doctor on day 6 and she said to keep taking it and call back if not better in another day. Now have developed cough and diarrhea. After reading these reviews wish I had read them sooner.... pretty sure all my new symptoms not related to sinus infection but to this medicine."

MichM December 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Gave it to my daugher (4 yrs.), couple of days later, she had hives allover her body, and hands swollen real bad. She had an allergic reaction to this medicine. Wish I read the reviews before."

LA. (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 16, 2016