User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Crohn's Disease, Maintenance 4 reviews 26 medications

Clostridial Infection 20 reviews 28 medications

5.5
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 922 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Metronidazole

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I hope this is helpful for those that are taking this medication. I am on day 6 now and I'm feeling better. But the first 3 days my stomach was burning. Make sure you take a probiotic 2 hours before or after taking this medication. The reason for the stomach burn is that the good bacteria is being destroyed by the METRONIZOLE? so the probiotic replaces the good bacteria that has been lost. Also I take 3 pepto bismol chewable tablets 1 hour before I take the medication - it really helps out so much. I take this medication twice a day and I take 6 peptobismol in total all day good luck."

laura77777 January 16, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Well I'm sorry to hear all the side effects people have had over this nasty tasting pill. BUT I'm on day 6 and I feel fine. Last night I began to feel a little nauseous but nothing too bad. I am taking this pill for BV after discovering I had an early miscarriage. (I'm being monitored) So, the nausea can really just be from some left over hormones. Overall, the worst thing about this pill is the taste. My advice is take drink it with something other than Water! And take it at the same time each day :)"

Metronidazole every 12 hrs January 16, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "So I have been reading on here about how this drug has done everyone else and needless to say I hate this drug . It gives you a nasty taste in your mouth. I have thrown up a couple of times . It gives me horrible cramps . I thought that maybe the meds wasn't working from how I'm feeling but maybe they are . My first day I took 1 pill then the next 12 hours I took another 1 . I did that for 2 days . Then my doc told me to take 4 at the same time . I wasn't sure if I heard her right so I took 2 at the same time every 12 hours on 3rd day . I feel horrible . My cramps are on 10! . So I think I'm going to finish this meds the way its says and then hopefully never have to take this again . Cause I hate this meds with a passion ."

Lucyee January 14, 2017

For Pseudomembranous Colitis: "Pill sticks in throat everytime. horrible medication."

Colitis279 January 14, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I'm on day 3 and taking one pill a day, because 2 has been extreme side effects and I still have to work. It would have been nice to be warned about side effects. Day one there was nausea, day 2 was nausea, severe headache, dizziness, increased anxiety( already have it & got worse...yay), thick discharge, really swollen and painful throat glands, body aches(low back), fatigue and tingling in hands. Took me at least an hour to fall asleep last night, when it usually takes 15-30. Thankfully, I've got my medical marijuana prescription and that has helped A LOT. I have a copper IUD, hoping this isn't the cause of my BV, because I'm 31 and have never had it this bad before. Got the IUD about a year ago. Hope I never have to take this medication."

Rluff85 (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I didn't have any of these symptoms my appetite has increased if anything I drank plenty water the smell and discharge has finally went away I took four pills a day but were only suppose to take two I was informed not to drink alcohol while on the antibiotic but I drink a lot and wanted to finish it fast also had a yeast infection on top of having BV so immediately after I'm done taking the antibiotics I have to take a yeast infection pill all this came from douching. NEVER DOUCHE & NEVER use scented soaps on your private area the smell and discharge is horrible and it would smell fishy when I was fresh out the shower"

princess tikahh January 12, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I took a one time large dose of 2 grams about a week ago. The next day I had the metallic taste in my mouth, but not so bad I couldn't ignore it. Day three started all my problems. Horrible nausea, fatigue, and trouble sleeping. It seems to get better after a few days but it's back. I feel like my system has just had it. I can't eat anything without feeling so sick. Probably going to head back to my doctor to try to sort this out. Long story short, I'm a week since the dosage and my side effects are crippling. It did get rid of everything, but I'll never take it again."

AKR1712 January 12, 2017

For Bacterial Infection: "My doctor gave me two antibiotics to drink for 2 weeks, dalamax and this evil little pill. I thought I was pregnant because of its side effects extreme nausea, cravings for sweets because of the bland taste in my mouth, not able to eat a lot because smell of food makes me nauseous, headache, fever etc. I've been enduring the symptoms for almost 2 weeks already and everyday feels like a living hell. Luckily my last medication will be on Friday ugh I just hate this."

Madzam January 11, 2017

For Dental Abscess: "Second time taking. 400mg 3 x a day.....always clears up abscess & I've never ever had a single side effect."

JackjackJackie January 10, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I was diagnosed with BV, I am on my 3d day of taking metronidazole, I have no improvements whatsoever, its seems like its getting even worse. But I got side effects from this antibiotic within hours after taking the first pill. Cramping, nausea. Lost my appetite on second day, feeling really depressed at this point. My throat feels sore, eyes feel dry, feel fatigue but can't sleep cause of itching, burning and abdominal pain. When do you suppose to see the improvements from this medicine? My doctor told me to give it another day, but I am feeling hopeless."

Dana 22 January 9, 2017

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "Prescribed this drug to take twice a day for 7 days for bv. Noticed after day two the symptoms were subsiding. For the first 6 days I took it straight after lunch and dinner with a bottle of water. Had barely any side effects apart from on day 3 I woke up feeling nauseous and with a headache but nothing major at all. And on day 7 I forgot to take the drug after my dinner so ended up taking it 4 hours later, and noticed a slight tummy ache. Overall I would definitely recommend this drug for BV"

Anna d (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Day 1 on these meds was euphoric. Day 2 was normal and by day 3 I was unable to move I was so sick. I found all these reviews as I laid on my couch crying. It really helped to know I wasn't alone (thanks!). I had stomach like flu symptoms: aching, numbness, dizziness, nausea, a horrible stomach ache, and no appetite. I'd have to give myself a pep talk before swallowing each pill. But I survived. With some proactive measures the effects weren't as bad. And the problem is gone. Here's what worked for me: Take the pills with a monstrously big meal. Hard to do when you're nauseous. No alcohol at all but also no fermented foods: kombucha, pickles, soy sauce, cooking wine (best to stay away from Chinese food), and vinegar. Get tons of rest. <3"

Bv no more (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Everything I've read about metronidazole and BV is that after 2 or 3 days you start feeling better. But I'm on day 5 and still have burning. I haven't drank any alcohol, haven't had sex, and haven't missed a pill. I know I still have two more days but I'm getting nervous. Anyone else have this happen?"

Abcde10987 January 8, 2017

For Trichomoniasis: "I just recently went to the doctor and found out I had trichomonasis and was prescribed 4 dose of metronidazole for the first day then 1 metronidazole for the next 6 days. The beat way to to take it is with a cup of milk, it takes away the awful taste the antibiotic has."

Anonymous1001 January 7, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I got prescribed flagyl 500 x daily. Just started .. I don't feel any nausea or taste in my mouth. Actually odor is slightly eliminated, burning gone just pressure on my vulva when peeing. I really feel that taking probiotics with it works wonders..and the big plus is not getting a yeast infection after done with the antibiotics. What doctors don't tell you is you can get both BV and Yeast infection at same time. Hope this helps ladies!! Good luck to all."

cindt (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I was prescribed this medication for BV. My prescription was to take the pill 2x a day for 7 days. It is now day 8 and I still have about 5 pills left to take. This pill has given me hell. The first pill I took had no side effects, the second gave me EXTREME nausea and by the third pill I found myself running to the restroom to throw up. I have limited my dosage of taking this pill (1 pill everyday or every other day) because the side effects are too extreme. I am extremely tired and drowsy and my body feels too weak and distracts me while I am working. However, the smell was gone day two after starting the treatment. To say the least this pill works but comes with horrible side effects! Take w a big meal."

Jazlynn January 5, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Was very nervous to start the treatment after reading the reviews on the website. However, my sister was on Matrondazole a week before me and had no symptoms so I thought I would be fine. And turns out, the symptoms were not that bad. First day of antibiotics I felt very sleepy and almost out of it. That went away by day 2 but I still had slight chest pain about 30 minutes after taking a pill each day. By the end of the 7 day treatment, I lost weight and felt so much better. The symptoms of bacterial vaginosis were gone by day 2 and I was thrilled. The worst part was not being able to consume alcohol for 10 days especially during the holiday season. Not being able to drink was still better than BV. I recommend"

kpoakfsdjf (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Taking 500mg twice a day for 7 days. With what seems to be chronic BV (no odor but itching/irritation and constant INSANE amounts of discharge) this is only the second time I've been on it. The first time, I never finished it because it was to the point if I even opened my mouth I would throw up! This time around (I'm only on day 2), I've completely lost my appetite. The very first pill I took, I got very light-headed - almost high - and I haven't eaten in 2 days but I'm sitting on the toilet for half an hour, the itchy/irritation almost seems to be getting worse (does it get worse before it can get better??) and I've gother awkward tingly feelings"

Chrisssy (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Second time taking this anabiotic, first time it wasn't bad at all. No symptoms for me. This time on the 4th or 5th day I woke with a headache then the nausea on top of all that I can't sleep at night I'm usually knocked out around 10ish for work in wide awake, like no sleep is in my future lol don't mean to laugh but gotta cheer up some how. I also have no appetite, & it's not because of the nausea. Not sure what's different this time, but I don't ever want to go through this again, restless nights so tired & can't sleep. Not cool at all!! But I found a remedy take some Pepto-Bismol it coats your stomach & will help with the nauseous feeling a lot. It helped me & I had to make myself eat even though I had no appetite Hope this was some help"

Mzmookd January 3, 2017

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Intraabdominal Infection: "Flagyl was prescribed to me after an appendectomy with a leaking appendix. I took 3 doses at home and the side effects started immediately and became more severe with every subsequent dose. I was dizzy to the point of having to hold on to the wall to walk. I had the worst metallic bad taste in my mouth that actually made everything taste horrible (water, juices, food etc). I was extremely nauseous to the point that I started heaving even with liquids. I had severe diarrhea as well, which I am not sure was related to Flagyl or not, but subsided once I was off that medicine. I was changed to Cypro and have been feeling much, much better with that antibiotic. In my case I will NEVER take Flagyl again, based on the severe reaction I've experienced"

Monja-Turtle January 2, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I have been prescribed this medication several times ( unfortunately) due to reoccurring BV ( from which I have been suffering since I got an IUD ,which I am having removed and my tubes tied) I would say over the last 3 years I have had to take it approximately 6-7 times and am now currently on day 3 of a living nightmare. While I have taken it before I had mild side effects mainly nausea and fatigue, with my symptoms starting to clear day 2 ish. However, this time I have never felt so ill. My muscles ache I can't sleep but am dead tired Brushing my teeth triggers me to vomit because I am so horribly nauseous. I don't know what the difference is this time but my symptoms have yet to start subsiding as well."

Only name not taken January 2, 2017

For Clostridial Infection: "Absolutely hate this medication. I've been in the hospital with the norovirus, just to find out I have c diff now and have been taking this medication 3x a day for 10 days. So sick of the nausea, can't tell anymore if the nausea is from c diff or the medicine. Almost done with the medication and I couldn't be more happy. Lost 15 pounds, haven't ate anything no matter how hard I try, dehydrated and sick to my stomach. Absolutely hate this medication and the metallic taste."

Pey (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Took this pill for BV for 7 days. First few days was fine. I'm now on day 5 and the side effects hit me. I'm so nauseous and can hardly eat anything. I'm constantly tired and I can barely sleep. I keep waking up in the middle of the night which I never do. My lower back is aching. My whole body aches but especially my lower back. It cleared up my BV but the side effects are awful."

Thismademefeelcrummy101 (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I was prescribed Metronidazole 500 MG 1 tablet every 12 hours for 7 days. Didn't work for me. Symptoms never even seemed to lessen while I was taking the medication. Then I read that it could take a few days for symptoms to disappear. Well I finished 12/17 and today is 12/29, still having a lot of discharge. Calling my new ObGyn today to get to the bottom of this. All this happened during my search for a new ObGyn LOL, sure hope the new one prescribes me something that works!"

Mama808 (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I was prescribed 500 metronidazole 14 days it has been awful with all the nausea ,constipation, back pain, neck pain ,lightheadedness ,sore throat feels like your throat swelling. It gets better, that is some of the symptoms do. My urine isn't as dark as it was when I started I don't have itching anymore I don't I still have a slight discharge it's not always apparent. But I still have lower abdomen pain and I'm not sure what that's all about. Soon as I'm out of this medicine I'm going to go to my doctor try to get into my gynecologist for a check up . Just a note ,we should have all been taking probiotics ."

ms.Claus December 29, 2016