User Reviews for Metronidazole

Joint Infection 2.0
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 6.2 1,992 reviews

Reviews for Metronidazole

loveconquersall · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: “I have SIBO and my doctor prescribed Flagyl 250 MG 3 times/day for 14 days and Rifaximin 3 times/day for 14 days to treat SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). Overall, my experience with Flagyl was unpleasant -- I experienced moderate side effects that made me feel worse, so I stopped after 4 days and kept on the Rifaximin with no problems. On flagyl, I experienced fatigue -- when I tried to workout to boost energy, I felt horrendous -- nauseous with flu-like symptoms. I experienced loss of appetite for normal healthy foods and found that I was binging on unhealthy foods. Slight metallic taste in my mouth, and a moderate feeling of upset stomach that came and went. Also, moderate bloating. If I had been extremely sick, and Flagyl made me feel better, I may have kept on it, but for someone with mild SIBO, this drug wasn't worth it. If you're only mildly ill, I'd suggest finding an alternative medicine, if possible.”

Tiger June 15, 2020

For Giardiasis: “metronidazole has not worked for me and I’ve taken two courses of it. I’ve had Giardiasis now for three months and cannot shift it.”

Dufty · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “Given metronidazole for a tooth infection, wish I’d never gone to the dentist. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, sleeping endlessly, shivering even when wrapped in layers, snuffles and borderline psychosis. Luckily I only have 2 tablets left. Never again!”

Mel June 9, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Dental Abscess: “I've been in agony with a toothache for two days, I couldn't sleep, nothing. Last night I took 500mg of Flagyl a few hours before I went to bed, slept all night and this morning my mouth isn't even sore. I’ll continue to take it for a week to make sure it kills the bacteria, but so far I like it better than any other antibiotic I've taken for an infected tooth! ”

Liz · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2020

For Trichomoniasis: “Was prescribed two doses of metronidazole to take orally. Experienced darker urine, nausea and a very bad taste in my mouth, but is it possible that this medicine can cause a yeast infection? I have been experiencing unusual discomfort in the vagina area.”

Kaitlyn · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “Basically my wisdom teeth are coming through and my jaw doesn’t have the space for them, my gums have been swelling bad with lots of pain, ibuprofen has slightly helped. Contacted my dentist and told him also my gums bleed bad and have an awful smell so most likely infection from something getting stuck below the swollen gums, I’m allergic to penicillin so was prescribed 400mg of metronidazole. Took the full dose for 10 days and seemed to have worked until yesterday ( 4 days after finishing ) my gums are so sore again causing headaches and lots of pain that ibuprofen and naproxen don’t even help. (Not taken together!! Ibuprofen yesterday with a 15 hour space and changed to naproxen )”

Anonymous June 5, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “It’s been months since I’ve took this medication and I still feel the symptoms from it. I developed a pain on my lower stomach, was having mini hallucinations, headaches and diarrhea. I truly believe by taking this cause me to develop cysts on my ovaries. Please do not take!!! Run from these pills I wish I would have never took these. I’m writing this to save others”

Idol · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: “Was prescribed this for BV following a LEEP procedure. One tablet and I was feeling weird. Kind of tingly. I immediately stopped taking it as that is a very rare and bad side effect! Needless to say I'm not going to take any more of this drug.”

Inpain · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “I've had a dental abscess on lower left side for 1 1/2 weeks. Because of coronavirus all dentists are closed, so a phone consultation was all I could have. Prescribed a 5 day course of 500mg amoxicillin, started to clear it, but as soon as the meds were finished the infection came back on the following Sunday. On Monday (yesterday) I again spoke to dentist who prescribed another 5 day course of 500mg amoxil. By the evening the left side of my face was really swollen. Couldn't sleep and this morning the swelling is huge and solid feeling, like I have a tennis ball between my gum and cheek. Phoned dentist again, spoke to a different dentist who has now prescribed metronidazole alongside the amoxil. I've read the reviews and most of them are describing how I feel now because of the infection, not because of the meds. I know everyone is different, but if you have a severe infection the only thing you can do until dentists reopen is take the meds and pray the pain and swelling goes.”

Suzie · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2020

For Bacterial Vaginitis: “metronidazole made me sick and it didn't work”

BA · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2020

For Bacterial Vaginitis: “I was prescribed the 500mg x 4, taking all pills at once treatment. Became incredibly nauseous after a few hours, dizzy, dry eyes, a bad headache. Started feeling dissociative suddenly. Eventually started to become very anxious, evolved into a severe panic attack where I could not land for hours. Reached a point where I really thought I was losing it and contemplated calling for health professionals, until someone came to me and could help calm me down. But I still felt a complete loss of reality and rationality, and I have never experienced this much lack of control before. It did better the symptoms for the bacterial vaginitis but in the future I would rather do any other treatment than this.”

Anonymous May 26, 2020

Metro (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: “I am on the 5th day ! The last day of metronidazole 500mg twice a day ! I don't recommend this antibiotic to anyone . I have had the most vivid worst nightmares on this drug. My stomach cramps, and hurts and have diarrhea bad. I feel like my eyes are so dry and have a brain fog ,and don't know if I'm coming or going . Side note it cleared my diverticulitis up tho.”

Joe · Taken for less than 1 month May 22, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “Was prescribed metronidazaole because of my diarrhea in the event it was caused my bacteria. Worst experience ever. Gave me oral thrush that has been impossible to get rid of. Made me dizzy, couldn’t sleep, anxious, depressed. I felt totally out of my mind to the point I had to meet with a psychiatrist. I never mentally felt like that in my life. Horrible medication. Took for maybe a week and a half until I couldn’t do it anymore.”

Lidia · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “I developed a stubborn tonsillitis a month after a lower respiratory condition. I'm allergic to penicillin, so I always get clarithromycin. This time it didn't work. It eased some of the symptoms, but my tonsils looked the same. My doc suspected that it was caused by anaerobic bacteria, so I started taking metronidazole 2x500mg. Short time after the first dose and since then, my nose never felt clearer. However, I had to stop it after the 4th day, because of new symptoms: stomach ache, ear pain, enlarged lymph nodes on the neck and ear, temperature increase and terrible headaches. Because it dries my throat, my sore throat also got worse. I suspect that I have some allergies to the medicine itself, also it was useless to my infection which might've come back after leaving clarithromycin. This medicine is powerful based on my nasal experience, but has unpleasant side effects.”

Love2 · Taken for less than 1 month May 9, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Trichomoniasis: “Omg reading all these comments scares me.. the doctor prescribed the 4 pills to take at once.. two days it was clearing up.. after my period came the trich came back. I went to get retested and I'm now waiting for results but I already know I still have this infection. This meds should work the first time . I guess it's not strong enough to kill the infection in one or even two doses.. I'm scared and I hope it goes away soon.”

Stevie in Fiji · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bone infection: “Broke my big toe (tip completely fractured. Had to have toe nail removed as in office surgery. Had two meds prescribed. Flagyl 400 mg and Flucloxacillin. Redness in my eyes and a bit woozy on my feet. Eye pain on top and back of eyes on second day. Sleep well ...too well. Stayed sleepy throughout the day. With prospect of 9 day course I have contacted my doctor to ask to stop. I want to thank drugs.com for their information as I may not have associated this medication with the Zanex I was suppose to start today. Thanks, guys!”

L May 3, 2020

For Bacterial Vaginitis: “On metronidazole for BV and my dose is 2x daily oral for 7 days. Fine the first 3 days and then day 4 extreme headache and nausea to the point of vomiting and day 5 still hasn’t gone away. Afraid to take another dose but I really need the BV to go away so I guess I will need to stick it out.”

Stevie April 30, 2020

For Bacterial Vaginitis: “My experience is likely a rare case, but I do want to get this out there. I have taken Flagyl for BV in the past with no problems. I took it a few months ago and noticed an intense pain in my mid-back. It went away after a couple days so I ignored it. A week ago I was on it again and woke up on day 4 with the same back pain. 4 hours later it migrated to my upper abdomen. It was so intense I couldn't stand. I went to Urgent Care to find out that this dumpster fire of a drug gave me acute pancreatitis. I have never felt pain like this before and unfortunately my entire life, at only 28, has to change because of it. If you have BV please ask for the gel. It's expensive but this pill is so hard on your body, any pharmD will tell you that. Even if you aren't an extreme case, you could end up with bad side effects that aren't worth it. If you have to take this pill, make sure to listen to your body. If you aren't tolerating it, stop and call your dr before you do more harm than good”

Jb · Taken for less than 1 month April 24, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: “Was prescribed flagyl for possible diverticulitis, took it for two days and could not take it anymore. It caused me to have severe diarrhea, fever, severe flu like symptoms, made me very weak, had to stop taking it. Will never take it again.”

Old lady · Taken for less than 1 month April 22, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “I had a root canal done and was put on metronidazole, I hope never to need to take this medication again! Normally I deal with depression, I use medication and prayer so I am “normal”, I get real bad headaches once or twice a month, when I took this medication after having a root canal done my depression got worse no matter what, headache all day everyday and night, could not sleep and dizziness. Will think twice before taking it again!”

Deb · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: “Having nausea everyday about 3 hours after taking Flagyl, also started feeling cramps in both calves on day 3. Only have 1 1/2 days left! Will be taking probiotics and eating yogurt as was suggested by someone in this comment stream!”

Jiji · Taken for less than 1 month April 4, 2020

For Pelvic Inflammatory Disease: “I've been on Flagyl before for a tubo ovarian abscess and only experienced nausea. Recently, I got PID again (non STD related) so I started a course of 500mg twice daily (given the current pandemic my doctor didn't have access to an ultrasound to check for growth of a new one and I'm planning to put off the hospital unless absolutely needed.) It is now the fourth day of my course and I stopped taking them due to joint pain and tingling sensations in my hands and feet. My doctor told me it could be causing problems with my nerves and she didn't want to risk me continuing the course. Other symptoms included a persistent headache, eye pain, diarrhea, nausea. I'm still experiencing tingling as I type this but I believe it will go away since I caught it early. Hopefully I never have to go on this medication again. I'm giving it a rating of 3 solely because it worked the first time around.”

Adfnl · Taken for less than 1 month April 3, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Trichomoniasis: “I first got prescribed 4 Flagyl 500 mg pills to take at once for trichomoniasis. It took away the burning and itching and I seen a decrease in discharge. However; I still have burning when peeing. I now got prescribed a second dose of Flagyl but this time it’s a 7 day dosage of 500 mg pills twice a day. I Have taken 2 day’s of this new dosage and my discharge is even better but still burning when urinating. I am hoping this medicine cures the Trichomoniasis.”

1234 March 28, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: “Please DO NOT take Flagyl. This is a lethal drug that will mess your body up for months. I was given this for diverticulitis. I was asked to take Flagyl for 7 days. By day 2 I was already in pain with side effects with bad muscle cramps especially my legs. I kept going not realizing the damage it was doing. On day 6 I gave up. The side effects were unbearable. I was taking regular pro-biotics during this period and after. Flagyl wiped my gut clean to the extreme that I kept getting urine Infections / Cystitis (inflammation of the bladder) for weeks after. The constant urine infections / Cystitis continued for the next 5 months. Eventually when I saw my naturopath, he gave me a special blend of flora (pro-biotics) to help restore my gut back to normal. I don't know why doctors are allowed to prescribe this drug as it should be banned.Please avoid taking this drug.”

Mia · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: “I would not recommend taking Flagyl at all. I was given a one time high dosage of 5 pills at once and have experienced terrible anxiety, shortness of breath, insomnia and diarrhea. I was up all night worried sick about how I am feeling and just wishing I never took them at all. I don’t know why this drug is still on the market. Hoping my side effects disappear within 24 hours. It has definitely taken the infection away but in my opinion not worth the paranoia”