User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Crohn's Disease, Maintenance 3 reviews 25 medications

Giardiasis 12 reviews 13 medications

5.9
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 785 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Metronidazole

For Bacterial Infection: "I'm on the 3rd last day of this medication don't know why I have to but it's what my doctor prescribed me and I haven't been feeling the greatest and still have the bloody diarrhea, tired all the time and my muscles all around my stomach front and back have been really sore"

Anonymous August 29, 2016

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: "This drug caused uncontrollable diarrhea and stomach upset and I had to stop taking it after just 2 days. This was given for mild diverticulitis and I got better with a liquid diet for several days then low fiber soft food then graduated to regular foods. I had another bout of diverticulitis 4 months later and just did the diet - didn't go to doctors of use antibiotics. For my mild cases this is the way to go. This drug caused more harm than good."

nonickname August 27, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I took this as the 500mg for 7 days. Luckily, I had no serious side effects. I get nauseous easily and was reluctant to take it. A few times after taking the pill I felt nausea setting in, but I made sure to eat food with each pill and the nausea disappeared. It doesn't taste great but it didn't let it sit in my mouth. I started seeing results in just a few days!"

Anonymous August 27, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I started taking this drug last Tuesday for a possible Gastrointestinal bacterial infection. When I started taking it, I was suffering from diarrhea which then became bloody diarrhea Once I started taking the medication, the bloody diarrhea stopped but I continue to have loose movements, nausea and sporatic bouts of diarrhea. One of the things I can't stand about this drug is the sharp, overwhelming metallic taste. This medication should be coated to make taking it easier."

Mik4521 August 22, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I had infected wisdom tooth. the doctor prescribed flagyl 400mg thrice a day and it works. I'm on day 3rd over 5 days, the inflammation and pain stopped within 48 hours but the headache is constant, and I'm feeling tired. like I wanted to go to bed just after I wake up. I am so confuse if I should continue it or not. I'm taking the ibuprofen and paracetamol now not because of the toothache but because of the headache im getting from flagyl. it is effective but i really hope the manufacturers would come up for an upgraded version with less side effects"

boomgrey August 21, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "After two days on this medication out of a 7 day treatment at 500mg twice a day, I noticed an improvement of my BV. However, the side effects have been pretty extreme for me. I developed an allergic reaction which gave me hives all over my body, what seems to be a throat infection as I can barely swallow and severe stiff neck. I'm actually really scared right now and going to an urgent care facilitu tomorrow morning. Overall I feel light headed, drowsy and achey all over. I stopped taking this medication after my 5th dose since my hives kept spreading and this stiff neck is super painful."

Gleny August 21, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I was prescribed this medication when my test came back positive for Gardnerella. I was already on cipro for a UTI, and when I was prescribed this my anxiety had shot up because I can't handle feeling nausea. Luckly it has treated me well! The taste is awful though! I'm on my 4th day and it did mess up my taste buds. And when I take my medication at night I seem to get a small stomach ache and dizziness. Overall it's an okay medication."

Lexis123 August 20, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I have used BV drugs twice please yeast infection in between . Still have BV ."

Louise$$50 August 18, 2016

For Dental Abscess: "I'm on day 2 on flagyl and amoxil. The only side effect I've experienced, is bad headaches. Other than that, im just waiting for them to work. This tooth infection will be the end of me!!"

Yandy83 August 18, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I had my wisdom teeth taken out a week ago and ive been put on Metronidazole to prevent infection. Never felt more sick in my life. The nausea is unreal. Gravol will not help. I ate the meds with food like I was supposed to."

Dudette1245 (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

For Diverticulitis: "I'm a 34 year old male in relatively good shape, active, and always on my feet... Have had diverticulitis off and on for four years. When it flares up the pain is terrible, coupled with a 50 hour a week job and two young children, it makes life a living hell... When I get a flare up (still can't figure out why I get them, everything seems to cause my guts to go crazy), I was put on flagyl and cipro. First few flare ups I stopped taking the medicine. I felt like absolute garbage - exhausted, nauseous, brain fog, and achy all over. Stopped taking them and let my body do its thing. This past bout was too much to handle and had to take the meds as directed. Day three and am feeling much better... The meds WORK! Endure, and get well"

Sto Jo August 15, 2016

For Trichomoniasis: "For advice on taking these pills, they were horrific with water i was prescribed 4 all at once and I was surprised I even got 3 down they were so bad and I researched this lady said to try it with peanut butter so I took the last pill (it was halfway dissolved because I spit it out) and covered it with peanut butter washed down by milk, I gagged because it was so big but was amazed by how much I did not taste it at all trust me. I hope this helps, nobody should feel bad for having this, it's more common than people think just not often talked about. Don't worry just stay away from sex it's not worth it."

Woman1234 August 14, 2016

For Dental Abscess: "I was absolutely terrified of taking this medication after reading other reviews of severe side effects as I was going on holiday with an 18 hour flight! I was prescribed these for a week due to an infection after wisdom teeth removal and it started to bring the infection under control after around 3 days and I fortunately did not have any noticeable side effects bar feeling a bit more tired than normal. I had one night of severe sickness but I attributed that to jet lag/heat rather than the medication as it was on day 7 of the treatment."

Jo12345678910 (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Negative experience. If you are having anorexia, and nausea ... especially if you have vomiting and diarrhea...and start feeling weak, go back to the doctor. On Day 5 I went to the E.R. and then admitted (for 9 hours) for lo Sodium - was dehydrated. attending felt it was a combo of F w/the diuretic I take ... altho it's quite a low dose, and I stopped on day 3. They gave me IVs of saline, Mg, K (all were low) with saline labs every 2 hours. Don't fool around with this. Get seen. I'm not sure what would have happened had I waited."

JKinSJ August 14, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I'm on day 3 of the medicine and I have to say it's working wonders! 500 mg every 8 hours for 10 days, 30 pills altogether. I have a bacterial infection that caused acute diarrhea and I'm already experiencing almost no loose stool after taking the medicine for a few days. The side effects suck though. I've had a chronic headache, bitter/metallic taste when I drink cold things, and am experiencing a bit of insomnia. I have to say the side effects are worth the benefits because I can tell that the infection is slowly going away."

Anonymous August 13, 2016

For Dental Abscess: "Gum abscess ,new dentist proscribed metronidazole. First day I took three as was advised. Sweating, feeling tired, depressed and irritable , thought this was just part of the process after a bad tooth and gum issue. Day two after another sleepless night and the symptoms got worse. Severe swelling to the face up around the eyes and also very little pain relief. Thought it was part of the process but by god it was miserable.Not hungry, unsettled bowels etc.This pain did not let you sit down, I had to walk around the house for three hours after taking this medication. Again, I thought it was part of the process.Another sleepless night. ( I was taking paracetamol and anti inflammatories too) Day three ,stopped,still in pain."

Alan a very untough Scotsman August 10, 2016

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: "This is my third diverticulitis event in 9 years, and each time I have been treated with Cipro and Flagyl, but I do not remember feeling so awful the first two times, nor do I remember the horrifically bad taste of the metronidazole (flagyl.) I can hardly get it down and after I do the horrible taste in my mouth is beyond description. I have resorted to immediately grabbing a lollipop to coat my mouth and pharynx with the sweet sugary taste, which actually does help. On top of that I am nauseated, dizzy, have a foggy brain, and nothing tastes normal or good, not even water. I am thankful for the improvement in the abdominal pain, as that shows that the horrid stuff is working, but dang, can't they put it in a capsule?"

trying to be thankful August 9, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "My Dr found BV during a regular Pap smear, I thought it was a mild case of thrush, and put me on metro 3x daily. Had headache, tiredness, occasional dizziness, sore kidneys, dark urine, loss off appetite and everything tastes kind of wrong. Worst and most unexpected is that, despite assurances that it wouldn't, it appears to be interacting with my Cymbalta and setting off panic attack and aggression. At least the BV seems to be clearing up quickly!"

MeowMinx (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "FERRUS SULPHATE were the sole reason I experienced recurrent Bacterial Vaginosis over a series of years! I have found nothing online with regards to this .I had B.V after every period and would have to treat to with Metronidazole gel (which was fantastic,though as an antibiotic your body with eventually build up a resistance after prolonged repeated use.) I would also experience it mid cycle if I spotted or after intercourse (semen) as this can also affect the natural flora and P.H levels of the vagina. After trialling stopping iron and going back on it with my doctor, and the effects showed conclusive proof iron had caused my BV. I haven't had a single incident of BV since, 18 months! Put natural iron powders into food instead (spirralina)"

Ferrous Sulphate gave me B.V August 5, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Im on a 7 day course x2 a day on Metronidazole. I felt fine the first 2 days no side effects really. But yesterdays (day 3) i could hardly eat i was sick and dizzy, vision is a bit blurry and hard to focus. Also thinking is slower and speach has slowed. Day 4 which i am on now, my head is fuzzy , im hungry but the thought of food is making me feel worse i can just about drink water, and have been exhuasted still feel slow and sluggish, speach is still slow and even struggling to write this! I have noticed its working but these do mess you about!"

Brionypezza August 5, 2016

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: "Was hospitalized with my first case of diverticulitis in March of this year and was given Flagyl 3x daily for 3-4 weeks. Vomited violently in the hospital within 10 minutes after taking it each time until they started giving me something to coat my stomach a little beforehand. The entire time I had to take it, I felt like my stomach was being eaten from the inside. My taste buds changed totally while I was on it and nothing tasted normal. I agree, Flagyl is the worst medicine ever! I will suffer the pain from diverticulitis before taking it again!"

abeehamie (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "It works but of course it tastes awful, also your pee will be dark and have a smell so drink plenty of water. Discharge is normal since it's cleaning all the bacteria. Make sure you replenish the good bacteria by eating yogurt or using probiotic suppositories."

Ray1smh August 3, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I knew for a while that something was off down there. I suspected BV, and went and asked my doctor for the antibiotic. I am VERY sensitive to most medications, which typically cause me intense nausea. So I was very nervous to try this stuff, especially after reading reviews. But I'm happy to say I've little to no side effects, aside from slight headache. However I did start with a very small dose, just to try it out. My doctor told me to take 500 mg (two pills) a day with food. But the first day, I only took half of a pill (about 125mg) just to see how it went down. No problems. Day two I took the full dose, no problems and BV symptoms are almost gone. Coated my pill in peanut butter as per my doctors suggestion, and have yet to taste it."

Lindssss August 1, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I took the 7 day dose worked really well went away but now it's back again "

Anonymous July 31, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I was given he the one time dose of 2000 mg to take at once. I had the pills a full 5 days before I said screw this fishy smell and milky discharge and just crushed them and downed them with milk. Truth, the taste is HORRIBLE!! Death in a pill! However, I had NONE of the deathly experiences so many of you have described. A little nausea and dizziness. The slightest though.. Like the kind u get from being too hot for too long. Nothing major. But it's been 12 hours now and the discharge AND fishy smell is GONE!! I'm mad I hadn't taken them already now, because I could be back to my regular, clear discharge. But I recommend it!!!"

Anonymous_8810 July 29, 2016