User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Metro, Flagyl IV, Flagyl 375, Metro IV

Metronidazole has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 2,131 ratings on Drugs.com. 45% of those users who reviewed Metronidazole reported a positive effect, while 27% reported a negative effect.

Bacterial Vaginitis
Joint Infection
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 6.1 2,131 reviews

Reviews for Metronidazole

Abdul rehman iqbal · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2021

For Gastrointestinal Perforation: “It's very important that you don't use the product that contain propylene glycol. It could be shampoos, preservatives, skin care products.etc The most important being that food you will feel the worst side effects with this drug which may include fever, fatigue, joint pain, stomach cramp, skin irritation.etc. Don't skip a dosage as its important to note that this is an anti biotic it will mess up your digestive microbiome.”

Scottish Male Nurse May 4, 2021

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: “I took Flagyl 400 x 2 for 7 days and I will outline what I experienced. 1 - They made me feel very sick all day every day. 2 - I was never off the toilet. 3 - I felt very low in mood, agitated and argumentative. 4 - Fatigued, never felt so tired. 5 - My legs ached from groin to my knees. 6 - My lymph nodes in my groin and neck swelled up. 7 - The skin on my hands peeled. 8 - I lost around 4 - 6 kilos. 9 - Taste in my mouth was disgusting. 10 - I couldn't sleep. 11 - I felt unsafe driving as I was so tired and dizzy. Finished these a few days ago and I called my GP to report to check these side effects were normal... simply put they said yes. Should clear up in 5 - 7 days!! Today my legs still ache, I am exhausted with no energy to do anything. My mood is improving and I'm no longer agitated. My glands are sore in my groin and neck . Hope these wear off soon !!! Good luck taking these and hopefully if you do you'll be feeling better soon.”

Jaunita Bonita · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2021

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: “I’ve taken this medicine twice before and now on my third time. Had both a positive and negative experience. The first time positive. It helped get rid of BV that I had for 11 yrs, but did give me a yeast infection. The second time I had associated antibiotic diarrhea and was being treated for presumptive c diff. Landed in hospital for almost a week and was diagnosed with UC. I did have systems of UC before antibiotic use just ignored until the symptoms got really bad. Think it just brought out the worse in a problem that was already stewing. On my third round. Hesitant about taking at first but took a probiotic beforehand and now hoping for the best. So far so good.”

Dranoel · Taken for less than 1 month April 6, 2021

For Bacterial Vaginitis: “I've taken 3 rounds of metronidazole over my life, and never once experienced the side effects mentioned here. The odour disappears in a day or so, and my vagina feels/smells new and squeaky clean by the end of treatment! Everyone will react differently but I had to throw my 2 cents in as there are so many negative reviews for a drug that's been great for me.”

Shelly · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2020

For Bacterial Vaginitis: “Ladies this antibiotic metronidazole WORKS for metronidazole BV!! I experienced no side effects & I’m on day 5 of the treatment. I never usually take antibiotics for anything but I had reoccurring BV along with thrush - my immune system has collapsed as a result from stress... day 2 into this antibiotic and all BV had cleared!!!! I am so so impressed with it. I experienced no side effects which was surprising as I’m really sensitive! Don’t let the reviews scare you - everyone’s bodies are so different. Sending all you ladies strength - BV is such an awful experience to go through! X”

Mimi · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: “I thought I had covid but I was experiencing the affects of taking this Flagyl Pure nightmare!!!!!!! Don’t take it. Warn everyone, friends, family, strangers. No one should experience this. I feel angry now with my gyno for doing this to me.”

Lisap · Taken for less than 1 month September 12, 2019

For Dental Abscess: “Anyone who is complaining of the side effects of metronidazole doesn’t have a dental root abscess! After 5 days of whet can only be described as “a nightmare of pain” and amoxicillin and every painkiller known to man doing zero for me. I finally got given metronidazole which has worked! Thank the lord. Didn’t notice any effects and even if I had would take them over dental abscess pain anytime.”

Jo · Taken for less than 1 month January 8, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “I think I experienced every side effect listed for metronidazole. I would like to share ways to get through the course of medication if you are feeling poorly. 1. Get lots of rest and keep relatively warm. I found a heating pad worked well for muscle soreness. 2. Get plenty of sleep whenever you can! 3. Drink plenty of water. 4. Do not drink alcohol. 5. Because you might lose your appetite, chose your favourite, easy to digest food. 6. Choose low level activities. It wouldn’t be a good time to move the contents of your house! 7. Keep your spirits up...know that it will soon be over! 8. Finally, find a good book to read, work on a project or search on your favourite social site!! You can get through it!”

Lady with high pain threshold! · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “I have never experienced dental pain like this before. I started 200mg metronidazole last Thursday and then was switched to 400mg yesterday morning after my 4th visit to the dentist. Cocodymol and ibuprofen are not working for pain. I literally have to wait for the antibiotics to work. After taking a total of 4 tablets of the 400mg I believe I'm feeling some type of relief. I've been told by many clinicians to hang in there which I plan on doing. The pain is unreal. I agree with the man who said, "anyone complaining about the med does not have a dental abscess!" I would give birth 10 times over to never be in this type of pain again.”

Ron · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: “I have never felt so ill before with these tablets, Heartburn sickness can not. eat, backache, and feeling like I am going to fall over, I thought I was going to die, I have today asked my doctor to change my tabs. I feel sorry for anyone who takes these tablets.”

Barbie79 · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2021

For Trichomoniasis: “I was diagnosed with Trich & BV. Had to take 500 mg of 4 pills at once. I was scared after reading reviews. But I knew I had to take them to feel better. Ate before I took them. I felt hot & a little headache & had gas a little about an hour-2 after I took them. It ceased. Got tired & went to bed. Woke up with the metallic taste in my mouth. But nothing that is too bad or I cant handle. But today I feel better already. Even got my energy back. This was a lesson learned to use protection or don't have sex. This was the consequence of my stupidity. I can't blame anybody but myself.”

Mel June 9, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Dental Abscess: “I've been in agony with a toothache for two days, I couldn't sleep, nothing. Last night I took 500mg of Flagyl a few hours before I went to bed, slept all night and this morning my mouth isn't even sore. I’ll continue to take it for a week to make sure it kills the bacteria, but so far I like it better than any other antibiotic I've taken for an infected tooth! ”

dogmom1208 · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2021

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: “If I could give this medication 0 stars, I would, My gyno prescribed me this for bacterial vaginosis. My side effects were horrible.... increased anxiety/panic attacks, nausea, horrible taste in my mouth and I had the most vivid nightmares. I would wake up trembling/shaking out of my sleep and it took me a few days to realize that it was the flagyl that was making me feel this way. I will never take this medication again unless I absolutely have no choice. I’m glad I’m not the only one that had a terrible experience on this drug.”

Cartie · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 13, 2020

For Trichomoniasis: “I’m currently 23 weeks pregnant, I was diagnosed with trich & I’ve taken the four 500mg tablets 4 DIFFERENT times just for me to retested & it comes back positive. Anybody took metronidazole while pregnant? Any bad side effects? And anybody else who had resistant trich? What made it go away? Plz help”

Beegee March 19, 2021

For Diverticulitis: “Metronidazole or Flagyl is very powerful. I have diverticular disease, and the alternative is surgery from flare ups. While I probably will get surgery later on, this is the go-to drug before. It happens between 2-4 times every year, and I know what it feels like when slight cramping and urge to go then escalates to straight up sharp pain within hours. Long story short, this drug is not pleasant. It leaves a metallic/bitter aftertaste in your mouth for the two week duration you are on it, it takes a few days AFTER ceasing the treatment for that to end. But otherwise, it is doing its job. The gas, bloating, cramps, and diarrhea are all symptoms of diverticular disease, not necessarily this drug. This drug is the solution, and it is a powerful one. It is not pleasant, but it works and its cheap. That's my experience using for the past decade with this terrible disease, this drug has kept me off the operation table so far, and I'm hoping it can extend that for several more years until I have no choice.”

1234 March 28, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: “Please DO NOT take Flagyl. This is a lethal drug that will mess your body up for months. I was given this for diverticulitis. I was asked to take Flagyl for 7 days. By day 2 I was already in pain with side effects with bad muscle cramps especially my legs. I kept going not realizing the damage it was doing. On day 6 I gave up. The side effects were unbearable. I was taking regular pro-biotics during this period and after. Flagyl wiped my gut clean to the extreme that I kept getting urine Infections / Cystitis (inflammation of the bladder) for weeks after. The constant urine infections / Cystitis continued for the next 5 months. Eventually when I saw my naturopath, he gave me a special blend of flora (pro-biotics) to help restore my gut back to normal. I don't know why doctors are allowed to prescribe this drug as it should be banned.Please avoid taking this drug.”

Nelly · Taken for less than 1 month October 18, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: “I have been ill since the start of June this year. Finally received diagnosis of BV last Thursday. Very concerned about taking this antibiotic after reading about so many bad experiences. Well I am happy to report that after taking 4 tablets to date, the only side effects I have experienced are a bit of dizziness after taking the tablet and slight stomach cramps, which resolve after about an hour. Hope this feedback offers some reassurance to someone. Oops, almost forget - I actually feel that I'm starting to get my life back - feel so much better.”

aaaryaaa · Taken for less than 1 month April 12, 2021

For Bacterial Vaginitis: “I'm always prescribed this for when I have bacterial vaginosis - 500mg 2x/day for 7 days. I always make sure to take it on a full stomach to avoid nausea. The only real side effect I experience is dark yellow/orange urine after taking it for a few days and goes away when I stop taking it, and slight nausea and loss of appetite. Like I said, having a full meal before taking it helps a lot. It works as intended. My only complaint is the horrible bitter taste when taking it, so to avoid that, I have to take it with extremely sweet drinks like some soda and try to swallow it fast so I don't taste it.”

Lala · Taken for less than 1 month April 12, 2021

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Trichomoniasis: “Was prescribed Flagyl for trich. I was skeptical and scared after reading the reviews because everyone made this medication seem terrible. This is my second time taking it and have not have one symptom either time. The first time I was prescribed a one day dose of the four 500 mg pills. This time the 7 day dose. I’m on day 3 and feel better. The smell has gone away and so has the itch. I feel like a new woman. I would suggest taking this antibiotic on a full stomach or drink it with a glass of milk. I promise, it’s no where as bad as everyone makes it seem. My anxiety was through the roof after reading these reviews, but I womaned up and took it. Yes the taste is absolutely terrible so please don’t roll it around on your tongue. I hope this helps ease someone else’s anxiety.”

Make it go away. · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2019

For Trichomoniasis: “Has anyone experienced having trich which is resistant to metronidazole to it. First round took four 500mg of the meds, didn't work. Then was placed on two tablets 500mg for 7 days. It cleared up but as soon as I stopped the treatment it came back, but not as bad. Then the last time I was placed on 2000mg for 7 days. Once again, took it away but as soon as I stopped it came back, once again not as bad. I'm fed up with this and I'd like to know why my body is not clearing up. Has anyone had this issue and then found some relief? Please share.”

Riri · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “Ok so am Allergic to penicillin so I have no choice but to take this antibiotic but I would happily take it anyway over a dental infection any day! It usually takes about 2/3 days to kick in for me some people sooner and some longer but it does work! As for the side effects please don’t let these comments put you off as medication works different for everybody! I do get a bit of an upset stomach, and a weird taste in the mouth but it’s nothing that’s unbearable or unmanageable, am still able to go about my day and if you are in true pain of a tooth infection then I think you would take a bit of a dodgy stomach over that unbearable pain!”

Anonymous September 14, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: “Awful tablets, I was given 7 day Course, couldn’t eat, the taste was horrendous, drinking water made it worse, confusion, feeling sick and genuinely unwell, would never take again for stomach bacteria ”

Mia · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: “I would not recommend taking Flagyl at all. I was given a one time high dosage of 5 pills at once and have experienced terrible anxiety, shortness of breath, insomnia and diarrhea. I was up all night worried sick about how I am feeling and just wishing I never took them at all. I don’t know why this drug is still on the market. Hoping my side effects disappear within 24 hours. It has definitely taken the infection away but in my opinion not worth the paranoia”

Juliagulia January 20, 2021

For Bacterial Vaginitis: “I am on day 4 out of 7 taking this metronidazole antibiotic. I was prescribed 2 per day. I have awful fatigue and brain fogginess. I feel like I am in a dream, my stomach is so sick, I have super painful stomach cramping that had me in tears today. Diarrhea as well. I’m very nauseas even if I take this with food. This medication is very hard to take. I want to give up on it. I’ve never experienced side effects like this.”

Anonymous June 5, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “It’s been months since I’ve took this medication and I still feel the symptoms from it. I developed a pain on my lower stomach, was having mini hallucinations, headaches and diarrhea. I truly believe by taking this cause me to develop cysts on my ovaries. Please do not take!!! Run from these pills I wish I would have never took these. I’m writing this to save others”

Anonymous July 8, 2019

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: “I felt it was important for anyone prescribed Flagyl and looking at possible side effects. I delayed treatment due to reading comments and becoming horrified at the stories of other people's experiences. For me NOTHING HAPPENED!! I am the most sensitive person when it comes to medications. I had no side effects on this medication except for a slight headache on Day 1. That could also been attributed to me coming off of sugar and caffeine also. NO SIDE EFFECTS. All I did was put coconut oil around the pill, threw it to the back of my throat, and washed it down with juice. Problem solved reagarding awful pill taste. I did not touch alcohol. I cut out caffeine and sugar as to not add to any potential anxiety. There could be many reasons others have side effects including other prescription drug interactions. Please don't get thrown off by other peoples horror stories like I did. Just follow directions, eat properly, stay away from the alcohol, and get better.”

Jb · Taken for less than 1 month April 24, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: “Was prescribed flagyl for possible diverticulitis, took it for two days and could not take it anymore. It caused me to have severe diarrhea, fever, severe flu like symptoms, made me very weak, had to stop taking it. Will never take it again.”

Mary August 27, 2019

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: “First diverticulitis (DVT) attack, was in such pain & had been in a very stressful situation. I had CT and diagnosed with DVT and prescribed flagyl & cipro. Became very ill, nauseated, headache, confused, lost my way back to husband's hospital room. Very frightening & debilitating. Called former GI dr & he took me off 1 of the drugs & I slogged it out & finally got well again but at what cost? I'm 1 that get frequent flare ups. Now take 250 mg amoxicillin 3X day for 10 days which is very inexpensive & have no side effects. Nothing to compare to the horrible , torturous side effects of those other 2 drugs. I sought advice from 3 GI drs, and consulted 3 colorectal surgeons. It is hard to imagine that they still do not really know what causes these DVT flare ups. It's all best guess & try this or try that. With so many people suffering from DVT I can't find a major study being conducted to ID any specific bacteria that seems to get out of hand causing these repeated infections.”