User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Crohn's Disease, Maintenance 4 reviews 27 medications

Skin or Soft Tissue Infection 6 reviews 162 medications

4.9
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 1122 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Metronidazole

For Diverticulitis: "Got prescribed Levofloxacin 750 MG once daily for 5 days and Metronidazole 500MG three times daily for 10 days for a bad diverticulitis flare up. First night on the metronidazole (Flagyl) was absolutely brutal. Pain went from 6/10 to a 10/10 about 3 hours from ingestion. Although this antibiotic is pretty aggressive, stick with it. Every pill gets easier to take than the one before. Try to take it with something on your stomach. I ate some soft white bread and yogurt and a glass of water. Rough first couple days, but I'm on day 5 of the meds and feeling almost back to normal."

30 year old dude (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diverticulitis: "I'm on my 6 or 7 th attack of what the surgeon says is complicated/ uncomplicated diverticulitis in 4 months!! Back on the cipro & flagyl again for 14 days and I literally feel like I'm dying. I see the surgeon again on Friday. I am so scared to have the surgery. I keep hoping this is the last attack but it seems like every 2 weeks off for the antibiotics another attack. I can't keep living like this....."

gpratt August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "So I see a lot of people complaining of nausea. This medicine will make you ill if you don't eat with it. That's why it states on the bottle take with food. This medication has its ups and downs but it has been effective for me in the past. Though some times it causes me a yeast infection (probiotics helps with that). The metallic taste is probably the worst part for me. This round though I'm on day two, pill 3 and I feel like I woke up and the smell had gotten stronger. Anyone else ever experience that? That and cramps are the only symptoms I have, I just want the smell gone! I'm wondering if it will get worse for a second before it gets better."

Brittaneelala August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Omg I have never felt so ill, metronidazole is horrible. My doctor gave me five 400mg tablets & told me to take them all together as one dose. I was violently sick Headache worse than migraine Cramp Diarrhea. I would never take them again."

GLize73 August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Doctors need to discuss side effects of this medication IN DETAIL before letting someone go home with it. I was prescribed 7 day treatment, twice daily 500 mg tablets. Day 1-5.. Definitely felt very tired and almost high like I was on drugs. Somehow I continued to work everyday. Increase in urination as well as the metal taste. Day 6-7 were the worst. I got the worst case of hives all over my entire body. Raised little red bumps. I wasn't too nauseous throughout the entire process because I made sure to eat bread or crackers before and after taking each pill. Also, my hair started falling out more than normal. The withdrawals were horrific. Felt like I had the flu, and couldn't get out of bed for a day. It's day 9 and things are better."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Holy hell I'm feeling weird. I give this medication a high review because it honestly does work but the sides effects are wild!!!!! I'm on the 6th day of 7 and just took a pregnancy test because I'm so nauseous but could be my own fault because I have only had one meal today and took both pills already so probably not the smartest, have Chinese food on the way though. Also, this is my third time getting BV... so over having a vagina. So yeah, moral of the story.... DON'T TAKE ON AN EMPTY STOMACH!!!!!!"

Vaginas suck August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "The medicine worked great. Very little cramping, but I'm extremely tired. My appetite has also picked up tremendously!"

None ya August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "So tired. I'm on day 6 of this medication. I was prescribed 2 tablets a day for 7 days for BV due to excessive spray tanning. I am miserable. I feel high and just drugged up. The first couple of days weren't bad, but I've been tired, the entire time. I work 40 hours a week and have made it though to the weekend which is now and I have one pill left to take. As long as you eat enough before you take it, you shouldn't feel nauseous. As of today, I am noticing red itchy bumps on my arms and legs, which I read could be a side effect. Also, I notice more hair loss than normal. I'm hoping that's a side effect and it stops in a few days. I'm praying that this takes care of the bv because I can't go a other round on this."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Again I've been diagnosed with BV but I'm not surprised. Guess my new partner's chemistry didn't agree with my vagina. Anyways I knew off the bat it was BV. Noticed the systems but was a little tricky. This time there was itching thought it was both yeast and BV. Nurse practitioner confirmed it was only BV. So I'm on a 2x for 7 days cycle with metronidazole. First 24hrs the bad scent minimized and slightly tired. But as usual the systems start to worsen. Headaches, aches and pains, moody, confused and emotional not to mention that nasty yeast creeping in. So not looking forward to that on my 4 - 5th day. With that I use the 3 day pack of monistat or canesten either one works for me. The other symptom would be my worst the emotional impact."

Buzzyere August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diverticulitis: "Metronidazole is horrible but really works I could not tolerate 400 mg so I take 200 it works the same less side effects."

Given up on my gut (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I had a very severe reaction to the drug. It started after two doses (1 day). My skin erupted in small blisters. That night the whole of my skin erupted with not only the blisters but also very large welts and extreme reddening of the skin all over my body all of which itched more than I have ever experienced before. In the middle of the night I took a bath to try to alleviate the itching. It didn't. I then took an anti histamine which controlled the itching but only now after a week have the blisters finally started to disappear, even though I only took two doses of the drug. It was an extremely unpleasant and frightening experience."

maryt70 August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Was given this med for BV. After reading all the horror comments about the side effects I waited a few days and tried to make it to the weekend so I wouldn't be sick at work. I changed my mind and started my medication during the work week anyway. To my surprise and joy no side effects except for discolored urine (darker). The taste isn't the greatest but its tolerable. I make sure to swallow it with food to avoid the after taste. Prescribed 250 mg 3 times a day. I noticed the negative comments have 1 thing in common the most.....the dosage of 500 mg 2 times a day. Maybe the dosage should be lowered by physicians when prescribing. Just a thought."

KDNoswaD (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Prescribed for tooth infection. Had previously and had bad diarrhoea previously. However this time I'm on day 3 and really struggling. No diarrhoea this time but feeling very nauseous all day, headaches, bad taste in mouth, extreme fatigue and feeling really terrible."

DDYT August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I wish I had read these sooner. I had a similar situation as another poster here where my doctor diagnosed me without even checking to see whether I had BV or not, but he believed it was some sort of infection. I am on day 3 of 7 for this medication and while the symptoms started out mildly, though I had a loss of appetite from day 1, the symptoms quickly increased and now I'm experiencing flu-like symptoms where my body aches, I am constantly fatigued and even on waking up, I am still exhausted. My head hurts, I feel nauseous and my muscles are sore. I'm only continuing on with this medication because I'm told that if I stop taking it early then things will be worse."

Jealousy (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "Literally I feel like the this is the worst medication I've ever been on. Surgeon put me on this for an oral abscess.... been dying for like 5 days and two more to go. Can't sleep but I'm so tired eat, look at light, worst headache ever. Stomach hurts but this headache makes me forget about that. All in all, I feel horrible."

Hannahh13 August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diverticulitis: "I appeared to have a kidney infection because of the pain. Dr gave me metronidazole but the side effects were horrible - I thought I was having a heart attack from the pain/pressure. Amoxicillin was tried but 3 weeks later little better. When I ran out of Amoxicillin within 24 hours I was in horrible pain again and went to the ER. Like others the Dr said everything is GREAT, you can go home. No way I feel like crap so he did a CT. The CT showed diverticulitis. Vindicated! But then he prescribed Cipro and metronidazole. I'd taken Cipro last year and it destroyed my knees...I was on crutches for months. Trying just the metronidazole, still feel crappy, but pain is going away. Why not Augmentin?"

Pleeze August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bone infection: "Ineffective and bad side effects: restless leg syndrome, very disturbed sleep. Still in Pain after 5 days"

Normanwisdom (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I'm on day 3 and haven't had any crazy side effects. I've had the metallic taste in my mouth (which is nasty, DO NOT let it sit on your tongue too long- yuck!). Other than that, no concerns. Oh! I may have a slight increase in my appetite, but I'm okay with that. Love eating! Good luck :)"

Worked for me (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I started this medication about a week ago today. It is my last day thank God. Horrible experience. BV went away within the first three days however I felt extremely tired and nauseated all the time. I also have had diarrhea since I started. My anus hurts to be honest, almost like it's about to fall out(sorry for the gross details). Honestly I'd never take it again and would ask for another way of treating BV god forbid I ever get it again. Oh yea and it has given me a yeast infection I am almost sure of it. I almost didn't make it... I guess it's different on everyone but i felt like I was going to die most days. Hope this helps."

Stbridget July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "For ladies, I believe the flagyl gel is 100% better and as effective IF used properly. At least it doesn't affect your internal organs! But if you are healthy and have healthy food and life habits, you should be ok with the tablets. Recommend not to take this drug too often though. It is 100% toxic. But very effective."

Anyways July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "this medicine works great! my gyno prescribed me to take it twice a day for 7 days and after the 3rd day no discharge no smell. The side affects were horrible but in the end if I had to do it all over again I would"

sade95 July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "The medicine has done nothing for me but been a tease. I was so excited about the being free the indescribable itch. I have no other symptoms but the itch is annoying. Day 4,the itch lingers. I had not had sex, used toys and always been clean using the bathroom etc. Where did this come from? Thank God I am not in a relationship because it would--it would have been over! Bottom-line, tonight I took two 500mg to see if a 1000 strength would give me a little relief. This is sickening! I don't understand how some have gone through this before and even for years and months. I am going crazy after two weeks of thinking I had a yeast infection to learn I am fighting BV. I have Dr. apt at 10am in the morning--need to try another drug!"

Claiming victory! (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "The side effects!!! On Day 2 I felt nauseated throughout the day then at night the vomiting started, diarrhea followed. I suffered through but the next day I was rushed to the hospital. I was put on IV fluids and stuff to stop the vomiting. It has been 3 days since I stopped taking it, still battling with my appetite and the sour taste in my mouth as well as fatigue."

pkmat July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diverticulitis: "After a month of pain that I could not bare.I had to go to the ER where I was diagnose with diverticulitis. I was on moxifloxacin and Tylenol. I had to go schedule a colonoscopy which shows nothing. I was revisited by the left side lower pain. Had to get Cipro and flagyl. No fever but reduce appetite. I am on but as stated by all, the metallic taste and feeling of weakness and sluggishness. My second day on medication will update as time goes on."

roy1 July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I have been using this drug for about 4 days, 500mg 3 times of day for seven days, I haven't had any side effects at all, maybe something is wrong with me I wonder ?"

vamp11234 July 22, 2017