User Reviews for Metronidazole

Clostridial Infection

Dientamoeba fragilis

Summary of Metronidazole reviews 6.5 1,625 reviews

Reviews for Metronidazole

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I’ve been diagnosed with BV three years in a row now and I’m always prescribed metronidazole but I can never bring myself to finish all 7 days of treatment because of the awful taste (plus symptoms go away quickly so I stop the pills). I finally got sick of the smell and discharge from BV and being uncomfortable during sex so decided to fully complete the treatment. To mask the taste, I buried a pill in a spoonful of Greek yogurt and swallowed quickly followed by water. I don’t taste the pill AT ALL that way. Discharge and smell went away by Day 2. By Day 7, I felt like a completely new woman. Side effects I experienced were during the course of treatment were sleepiness, gassiness, soft stools, and dry/metallic taste in mouth. Overall it was definitely worth it to get rid of BV for what I hope is once and for all."

BeachBum201920 (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2019

For Trichomoniasis: "Metronidazole worked like a charm for trichomoniasis /BV. 500 mg tabs twice daily for 7 days with food. Mild side effects only which included increased thirst/dehydration (so I drank more water), craving fruit (likely related to dehydration), and a caffeine-like energy boost around 30 min after taking the tab, lasting for an hour or so. ZERO alcohol during treatment and for 48 hours after final dose. FWIW I also discontinued vitamin/mineral/herbal supplements during treatment."

AnonyMouse (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "Day 4 on this metronidazole and I have never felt so unmotivated to do ANYTHING. I feel nauseous, lots of headaches, and tired. I feel like I don't want to do anything but lay in bed all day."

jesssi April 15, 2019

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I’m 20, 108 pounds. I was prescribed metronidazole by my gynecologist for BV, they also recommended to take probiotics to help reduce the risk of getting a yeast infection. I saw some people were complaining about getting a yeast infection right after finishing this. The other thing about dark urine, you are supposed to drink LOTS of fluids. Also about alcohol, you cannot have alcohol while taking metronidazole you’ll have all those side effects some of you were talking about, it is bad for the liver, it’s already bad taking this med and worst when adding alcohol. The only complaint I have is the after taste but I usually chew gum or eat a snack afterwards no big deal. I take my pills with or without food it doesn’t really matter."

VMPT (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2019

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I was prescribed metronidazole pill form to treat BV & instructed to take twice daily. I’m on day 4 and no side effects. The pill has a very unpleasant taste so I recommend taking with juice (I use %100 cranberry). I’ve eaten something as light as a energy bar and taken this medication with no issue. My only complaint is that I’ve had no relief from my dry, itchy and overall irritated vagina. Will be talking to doctor to see where to go from here. Hang in there ladies, we got this!"

Hopeful (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2019

For Dental Abscess: "I took this metronidazole pill 1 time for a dental abscess and I was literally having an out-of-body experience. I was shaking, cold, crying and had a really bad nightmare. I immediately stopped taking it and I suggest that they take this antibiotic off the market PLEASE. Oh and another thing I did not drink and I made sure I took it with food"

Lovely (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2019

For Dental Abscess: "I have been prescribed metronidazole as I have an infected lower wisdom tooth, I was struggling to open my mouth, had severe headaches, earache and generally feeling unwell, this was all before I was prescribed and took Metronidazole so I'm guessing it's mainly symptoms of the infection, rather than the drug itself. I am having to take amoxacillin alongside though because my infection is that bad. Felt sleepy and poorly but that's just because I have a big infection my body is trying to fight off rather than the antibiotics"

Toothfairy26 April 11, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "I wonder why the companies that make this a pill don’t put it in a capsule or a coating on it. It tastes so bitter and it melts in an instant when I put it in my mouth. Several times I choked on it. All because they didn’t put a coating on this medicine. Do they intent to torture people or can’t they think about something as simple as this?"

Nina April 10, 2019

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: "This is the 4th time I have had diverticulitis and one of the things I dread is having to take 500 mg of cipro (2x a day) and 500 mg of Flagyl (3x/day) for 10 days. The nausea and stomach ache are horrible. I am now on the 7th day and this morning I began thinking about why the problems remain so many hours after I take the drugs. I thought perhaps the drugs were not dissolving properly, so I cut the pills in half and took them in 2 pieces. I have not had nausea or stomach pain today. It did not help the fatigue and weakness however."

AT and T (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "This metronidazole gave me the worst side effect ever! I wish I had never taken it for my gums! It gave me Tinnitus! "

Neri (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2019

For Dental Abscess: "I started taking this almost 4 days ago for a dental cyst triggering infection / abscess. I can’t even lift my head off the pillow on a morning to get up with my teen daughter for school. I feel so lethargic which I wasn’t before starting them. I feel so awful, my stomach is giving me excessive hunger pangs which I know stomach issues are a listed side effect. Also had pain in what I feel might be the right kidney and keep drinking loads of water as recommended. Suffered with the heartburn too, plus headaches. However, my mouth feels better"

Kheselden (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2019

For Dental Abscess: "In 2 days my abscesses are disappearing after taking metronidazole and amoxicillin "

Aiza March 30, 2019

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I am day 5 on this medicine and so far the only complaints I have is the taste. So bad I can almost not swallow it but once I get through it everything else seems to be okay. It has increased my appetite though by A LOT. Dark urine as well. I didn’t even have any symptoms of BV but went to my latest Pap smear and they called and told me I needed to start taking this. I take it with food in the morning and dinner at night. I’m almost done thankfully. If you can just get by the taste, everything else seems to be good."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2019

For Trichomoniasis: "It works but had side effects of dizziness and headaches. It will be awhile before I have sex again."

Trick dick March 28, 2019

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "Just finished a 14 day course of Xifaxin and Flagyl for SIBO -C (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth with constipation). I was admittedly anxious about taking it at all due to some of the horrible reviews in general on the internet. However, I was fine. I actually stuck the pill inside a blueberry, and took it on a spoon of applesauce. It worked like a charm. I also followed the instructions to take the flagyl every 8 hours which meant keeping a weird eating schedule. I experienced virtually no metal taste issues, had some minor side effects, but generally felt well with good energy. I wanted to comment, as I believe people who tolerate it do not tend to make the effort to comment. The only way to know, is to try. I am hoping this course of antibiotics will reduce the bacteria in my gut, and help on the journey to healing."

Antonia (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "I've used this before with no problems, but this time - wow. It definitely gets rid of BV, but the side effects are awful. First, it tastes terrible. My taste has been off all week. I feel nauseated all the time, have diarrhea, and feel depressed. And I'm so tired. I had one pill left and I will not take it. Hopefully next time I can be prescribed something different."

VestalK (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2019

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I am only on my second pill (took one yesterday and one today) and I have to stop. This medication is AWFUL!! I've had a severe, searing headache for hours. I had a similar one yesterday too. This headache is unlike anything I've ever experienced before, and completely debilitating. I also experienced nausea, heart palpitations, chills, flushing, and anxiety. And the metallic taste that hasn't gone away since the first pill. I could've maybe stuck it out with just those side effects, but this headache is just too much to bear. I would recommend trying any other treatment option before this. Oh and the black box warning (caused cancer in lab rats) makes it all the more not worth taking."

PainfulExperience (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "This is my second time taking metronidazole & honestly it works very well even though the taste is horrible I recommend this medicine if you have BV."

KK March 22, 2019

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "On day 5 of 7 of this med for BV. First time taking it and I have been nauseous since day 2 but I’m extremely hungry and everything tastes like I’m chewing on a penny. Bacterial Infection is gone and yeast infection has moved in. Fantastic."

Kat (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2019

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "metronidazole is not the best tasting medicine, but it works wonders. The metro gel is messy"

Missy (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2019

For Trichomoniasis: "Only negative thing to say about metronidazole is it gave me a minor headache and nausea but considering how great the positives are, it completely got rid of my trichs the little stomach ache was worth it. Recommend "

Bk March 21, 2019

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "This antibiotic was the worst possible one I had to take! Anyone saying there are no side effects with this medicine is one of the lucky ones. This drug damages your digestive system, it tastes nasty, you have that taste all day come back up. I didn’t sleep well, and it affected the way I was breathing. Outside of that, it gave me yeast infection on my tongue. I’d never take this drug ever again! This drug cause more harm than good. If you need an antibiotic, find a functional dr. Natural medicine has been around for years and it works."

TGuy (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2019

For Diverticulitis: "Have taken metronidazole several times over the past 20 years for diverticulitis and it works. The side effects are not pleasant. Metallic taste in the mouth, lethargy, not sleeping, changes the taste of everything consumed. But it certainly works at getting rid of the infection. To me the side effects are a doddle after having so much pain discomfort and about 20 bowel movements a day as no other antibiotic works for my diverticulitis"

Freespirit (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2019

For Dental Abscess: "Given metronidazole for a big dental abscess in Jan. It worked well. No nasty side effects. Week later the 'bad' tooth broke off , exposing the roots. So, back on the Metro five days. No problems with side effects. Root Canal treatment and all seemed well. 9th/10th March, abscess re-appeared. Hard to find emergency dental treatment here on weekends, but our lovely NHS came to the rescue. Local A&E saw me within 20 minutes. Talking to Nurse, the abscess burst. She prescribed Metro 400mg for 7 days, plus Clarithromycin 500mg for 7 days, plus Co Codamol for pain, though not needed it so far. Dentist said the jury's out until infection settles but recommended 5 days on the Metro was more than enough but to complete course of Clarithromycin. Still only minor issues with Metro, but the Clarithro is making me tired, with a bad taste in mouth"

Pharma Giles (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2019

For Dental Abscess: "I was prescribed metronidazole on Monday morning for a dental abscess, 400mg 3x daily. Yesterday (Tuesday) I slept in a deep sleep for most of the day and night, waking up for medication/ food/water and having spells of confusion and extreme fatigue, feeling angry and frustrated. This morning (Wednesday) woke up feeling exhausted and very irritated. Not understanding why, crying for no reason. This behaviour is completely out of the blue for me. Phoned the dentist surgery they were no use what so ever, said they are not the common side effects for this medication. Family members were worried so took me to Drs, they’ve prescribed me some different antibiotics. Safe to say will not be taking this again!!!!"

RT (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2019