User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Peritonitis

4.8

Dientamoeba fragilisNot rated - Be the first1 review 12 medications
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 6.7 1,377 reviews

Reviews for Metronidazole

For Amebiasis: "I am currently taking 500 mgs twice a day for a total of 30 days. I’m on day 11 and I have to say I’m quite shocked at some of the reviews. Yes, it has its side effects and yes all of our bodies react differently but this is not the torturous nightmare I was expecting. I think the best advice I could give is to make sure you are getting your probiotics in to reduce diarrhea and overall symptoms Here’s what I’m doing along with a nutrient dense diet, lots of water, sleep and patience: Saccharomyces boulardi (SB)is a probiotic yeast not native to our gut that survive antibiotics so it can be taken w/ the flagyl Four hours after the antibiotic and SB I take a 6 strain lacto and 6 strain bifido mix AND a soil based probiotic containing bacillus. I'm 5’2” 115lbs and female. I’m autoimmune and throwing off immune response markers 2x the high and am showing IBD from this thing. If I can handle these meds I think any other user can handle it. Best of luck to everyone!"

Nic (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2018

For Dental Abscess: "WORKED WONDERS for my dental abscess. Midway through my A-levels, a wisdom tooth in my lower left side of mouth decided to come through, causing severe pain and subsequent PERICORONITIS. Dentist prescribed me with three 400mg pills for a total of 5 days. He warned me of side effects that could negatively affect my performance in exams. The Metronidazole was extremely effective in reducing the pain - paracetamol simply wasn't effective enough. It also reduced my massively swollen cheek within 2 days - the Metronidazole rapidly cured my abscess and I feel no pain anymore. I did experience some side effects - my chest felt tight, I felt slightly dizzy and uncoordinated most of the time, it was harder to think deeply and I had a reduced appetite. I was anticipating the worst after I read all these negative reviews, but in my personal experience the drug was extremely effective and I would recommend to anyone."

GCB900 June 16, 2018

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "No side effects. Here’s how I did it: I ate about an hour before, then at the time of taking the pill I took it with a big gulp of ginger ale, (even though I don’t normally drink soda) I did this because I read that the pill tastes horrible. I am on my last day of pills and I haven’t tasted a thing since I started. Although I was prescribed this medicine without ever having symptoms of BV I truly don’t think this medication is all that bad. Please take comfort knowing that you will be fine. Just make sure you eat a bit before, have a cracker after and just continue on your way. You can also add a probiotic into your routine, which I did in between taking the 2 pills a day. Just don’t freak yourself out about the nausea and vomiting like I did! Oh and I also didn’t feel “out of it” or dizzy like some other reviews. Ultimately everyone is different so try it for a day and see how you feel. I just want to give you guys some hope :)"

Galygal June 14, 2018

For Diverticulitis: "I was prescribed Augmentin and Flagyl and I virtually have no side affect. I refused the Cipro and Flagyl combination. Over the last 6 years, I have had plenty of flare-ups."

K (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 12, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "I have a infection in my tooth so my dentist put me on amoxicillin, and I then found out I was allergic (lucky me) so went back to the dentist the same day and was given 400mg metronidazole 3 x a day for 5 days. First day I felt a bit under the weather, just a bit rubbish from the pain I thought. Second day after my first dose in the morning I bloated a lot and had awful stomach cramps in the middle top of my stomach like a curdling sensation. I’m on day 4 now, pain in my tooth is still awful and I’m sleeping about 14 hours a day and already today had 4 naps! Had awful stiffness in my wrist and neck and lower back pain and don’t really feel up to eating anything. Can’t wait to be off this stuff!"

LizF96 (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2018

For Diverticulitis: "The headaches that this antibiotic caused are almost unbearable. It feels as though my brain is being squished inside of my skull."

Santiago (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "This stuff is just awful. I've had fair few meds and antibiotics over the year and have not had anything that comes close to the misery this has caused. Prescribed 3 x 400 mg for 7 days for a tooth infection that was causing me acute tooth and ear pain. Day 1 - General malaise, something not quite right. Toothache/earache 20% gone. Day 2 - Severe nausea and stomach cramps. Couldn't even keep a glass of water down. Fatigue and lethargy. Could barely muster the strength to get out of bed and slept for 16 odd hours. Headache. Diziness. Hot flushes. Toothache/earache 80% gone Day 3 - Vomiting stopped but constant background nausea so didn't eat until a small evening meal. Fatigue, lethargy, and diziness still present. Slept 12-14 hours. Toothache/earache 90% gone. Day 4 - Back to work but nausea/fatigue/lethargy/dizziness still present. Felt like I'd worked a super hard week by lunchtime and couldn't really complete any intellectually demanding tasks. Left work early."

Danslenoir May 29, 2018

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I’m always skeptical about taking new meds. Especially after reading bad reviews. But I had BV for about 6 months before I finally went to my obgyn and talked to her. I’m so glad I did. After 2 days with metronidazole, I was back to normal. And no bad side effects. A little nausea at first. But nothing that I couldn’t tolerate. And they do taste awful. But it’s well worth it!!"

Cloftis86 (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2018

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "After reading the reviews I was a bit scared to take this medicine, but it seems most reviews are for the oral version. My doctor prescribed me with the gel version, once a day for five days. I am on day three, and have had zero side effects. I was having a lot of discharge that smelled terrible before, and after one gel dosage the smell completely went away. I still have two more days left, but so far have no complaints. It seems to be working great! I have been taking a probiotic as well, so I am hoping that I don't get a yeast infection like many others are saying."

BW (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2018

For Trichomoniasis: "This is the worst drug I've taken and under NO circumstances will I ever take it again! I was diagnosed with trich and instructed to take 4 pills at once to clear it up. I had a horrible taste along with nausea and a severe headache and itching all over. This lasted several days just for the infection not to clear up. I was then given them again and told to take 2x's daily for 7 days. I couldn't get past day 3. I had an allergy to it so I broke out with hives over my entire body, my eye was swollen shut and I developed a blister on my tongue. I ended up trying natural methods that worked for me because I couldn't stomach the thought of taking another one of those pills. In almost 30 years that is the first time have ever had a negative reaction to any medication. Side note, if anyone has a bacterial or trich infection that won't go away, you could try a zinc sulfate douche twice a day until the infection clears up. It may take longer to clear up than with meds but at least its natural."

Angel (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2018

For Amebiasis: "Worst medicine I've ever taken in my life. I have to take it for 10 days. I'm on my 6th day and I want to stop it tomorrow. It's just the worst. I feel so horrible."

Kin May 23, 2018

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I don't understand why they keep prescribing metronidazole it is a horrible antibiotic to treat a condition it does not cure. The side effects are horrible, and supposedly the oral form only kills the bad bacteria, but if that were the case, why do so many women end up with a yeast infection afterwards? If you have to use this medication, go for the metro gel and not oral antibiotic. Doctors need to stop prescribing this, and instead prescribe good quality probiotics specifically for vaginal health. I've had the most luck with specific vaginal probiotics. All proven strains to be dominant in a healthy vagina."

maz May 22, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "I was told that I have h pylori and my doctor prescribed 3 different antibiotics. One of them was metronidazole. I have been taking this for 3 days. It is awful. Lot of stomach pain, metallic taste, headache, nausea. 11 more days to go"

Mg May 22, 2018

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: "This stuff works if you can get through it. Have taken it along with Cipro many times for bouts of diverticulitis and once when hospitalized with C Diff. Now that I'm in my 70s is really hard to deal with the side effects. Calling doctor now to see if there's anything else I can take besides this. This was a milder case of the sickness. So harsh on the body."

Genie (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 18, 2018

For Dental Abscess: "Currently suffering with an abscess. Paid £95 to see an emergency dentist last Friday and was given this antibiotic 3 x daily 400mg strength and completed the course. Today I will be phoning the emergency NHS number provided by my local health board as I am still in excruciating pain and my jawline appears swollen again. Thankfully, I did not experience any of the awful side effects described by other users. I'm hoping today's dental visit will provide me with some relief because I would rather give birth again than have to continue in this pain."

Naomi (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2018

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I have BV. I'm on day two of a seven day, 500 mg twice a day regimen. I feel sick and I have a headache. I am very nauseous. I still have symptoms like itching but hopefully they will disappear."

Unsure (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "I am on day 3 of 7 and I feel absolutely horrible. Every since day one I have been having stomach pain, heavy discharge and horrible headaches, also itching but the stomach pain and headaches are the worst. I have also experienced dizziness and I find myself sleeping a lot more. The taste is disgusting. I am hoping that this pill actually works. I am guessing that it gets worst before it gets better. I felt better before I started taking this pill. I can't wait to get off this pill! Four more days to go. Ugh."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2018

For Dental Abscess: "I took these for 5 days for a dental abscess, I had a little heartburn but that goes with over the counter tablets. The metronidazole hasn’t made the slightest bit of difference to the abscess though"

Chris (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2018

For Pelvic Inflammatory Disease: "Wow, is all I can say!!!! Just got back from the hospital, where the Drs were LESS than helpful!! I'm on a 14 day course of this drug, along with oflaxacin, (day 9) I feel awful. According to the hospital my side effects would've shown before now - I'm not so convinced after reading reviews! I had no idea this medicine was so awful. I've had the horrible metal taste, a constant headache, inability to sleep! And the pain in my legs is so uncomfortable!! From my hips to my ankles BURN! I am waiting to see if the symptoms subside but I'm 95% sure this drug is to blame!"

Bek (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "I had a stomach infection and this pill is WAY too strong for me. My body does not act well with it. I can never finish the entire bottle. It made me vomit and sleep for hours. It also had me running to the restroom and sleeping for hours! I hate this pill!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "I have began this medication 4 days ago for a bacteria infection. I have experienced the most horrible symptoms; I still can’t go to work because the diarrhea, dizziness, headache, stomach ache. I please recommend anyone ask your doctor any possible side effects you could experience on any medication they prescribe before leave their office, that was my mistake I DIDN'T ASK. Please do not take this meds at all, specially if you have to work or do any kind of activities."

Nancy May 8, 2018

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Went in for my annual. Clear pap but positive for BV. I didn't have any symptoms but my Dr treated because we are trying to get pregnant. Besides a horrid taste and having to monitor all things with alcohol, mouthwash included.. I haven't had side affects or complaints."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2018

For Dental Abscess: "Started on Amoxicillin for a few days but pain just got worse. Ibuprofen maximum strength did not touch the pain so dentist prescribed 7 days of Metronidazole [400 x 3 per day]. Initially no relief and as well as pain was now exhausted to the point of daytime sleeping which actually was a relief. It was only today having taken 13 Metronidazole pills that noticeable improvement and have been able to reduce number of painkillers. No major side effects except odd taste in mouth. I also found putting oil of cloves on tooth gave some relief. Not completely cured yet but at least can now read and write this review ! Lucky in UK so medication for 60 years and over free."

TrishMc (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2018

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "After reading all these horrible reviews I was terrified to take this medicine . I literally was feeling anxious at the thought of it .... However , most people don’t leave reviews and if they do , they are more likely bad ones . First , you really should take zofran or another anti nausea med 20 mins before you take a pill of Flagyl . I took Zofran , ate something , waited 20 mins and took the flagyl . First dose I didn’t feel too bad ...tingling in my hands and arms and mild nausea. I’m on the 4 day of 7 and it’s really ok . You may feel some minor side effects but don’t let the reviews scare you !! And I’m 103 pound female who usually has to take a lot of antibiotics...you’ll be ok . If you are prone to get nervous or panic at every little different feeling you have , take a low dose of Valium with it . It’s safe and I did it the first few times . Yes the taste of pill isn’t best either , but it’s a minor annoyance"

Ranbyyouagain (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2018

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I went for my normal gyno visit and I had no symptoms but the test came back positive for BV. Since I have no symptoms the the doctors normally don't treat they said because it can go away on it own if no symptoms. However because I'm trying to get prego they proscribed Metronidazole 500mg one tablet twice a day for 7 days. I am on day 3 and today was the first day of dark brown urine which is freaking me out a little, but no other side effects as of yet. But what I do is I take a Benadryl an hour before I take it because thats what I use for my seasonal allergies. Plus I eat about 15 to 30 mins before taking a pill and eat a little more right after taking it. I can't really tell if the pill is working because I had no symptoms to begin with. I just can't wait till I am done with the pills because I have really bad anxiety and I'm waiting to see if something major happens."

One of a kind (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2018