User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Crohn's Disease, Maintenance 4 reviews 27 medications

5.7
STD Prophylaxis 1 reviews 25 medications

Summary of Metronidazole reviews 1071 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Metronidazole

For Bacterial Infection: "I'm one of the unlucky women who get BV if I don't take 100% precautionary care of myself. I've taken this medication more than once before and got through the entire round with no issue - It DOES clear up BV if you do the full round and DO NOT DRINK. However, this round has been so brutal. It's always tasted bad but I can handle that by taking it with flavored drinks. I'm going into day 4 of my prescription and I woke up convinced I had food poisoning. So nauseous and uncomfortable. Definitely feel like I'm running a fever and have tightness in my body. My recommendation is take it when you're the MOST full, don't wait even 30 min after eating. Does it's job but these side effects are brutal and inconvenient."

Molly400000 June 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "This medicine does it's job, my symptoms from the infection cleared within the first 3 days out of 7, taking 2 pills a day. It worked and cleared the infection so I'll give it 10 stars, but the side effects are for sure mentionable. I felt fine other than a metallic taste in my mouth for the first 2 days, then the extreme nausea rolled in. Imagine the feeling you have seconds before you puke, 24/7 for days on end. I also had headaches and slight stomach pain. I took probiotics while on the medication and they didn't do anything. I still recommend this antibiotic because it does its job, just be prepared for the side effects."

Jj1029 June 25, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "After reading all of these horrific reviews, I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty hesitant on taking these pills for the week. My gyno prescribed me 500 mg to take a twice a day for 7 days. I'm on my 4th day with no crazy side effects. I already see a lot less discharge and the odor has minimized greatly. The only negative thing I can say is the metal taste you experience when taking the pill. It's pretty bad but if you have juice and a food to bite into right after taking it, you'll survive! :)"

DeeBee0619 June 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Coming from someone who took this regularly as prescribed, the medicine did its job. No severe problems however, I admit to being extremely fatigued and stomach cramps come here and there."

Spockjs June 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Right there with everyone else, BV infection. Flagyl 500 twice daily. So happy done with this medicine. I took it for 7 days. I hate this drug!! Headache,metal taste, cramping and dark urine. I starting feeling better symptom wise on day 5. By day 7 I felt good except for all the side effects. I'm two days off and the burning, itching are back. I'm calling my obgyn today. I'm so afraid she's going to want to put me back on it!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "This is my first time taking metronidazole and first time getting BV. I am supposed to take 2 tablets a day for a week (500 mg). The first few days were fine, I noticed I was beginning to get tired though. The fishy odor went away by like day 3. By day 4-5, I was beginning to get more symptoms like headaches, dark urine (even though I drink a lot of water), minor upset stomach, trouble focusing, and irritability. By day 6, I was lightheaded, confused, couldn't focus at all, and nausea on top of all the previous symptoms I mentioned. I am not completing this prescription with 2 pills left. I also am a healthy 4'10", 100 lbs, and 21 years old female who only takes medication when it's a last resort."

Lala12345 June 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Trichomoniasis: "Having read all the terrifying comments, I was expecting the absolute worst. However, I had absolutely no side effects AT ALL! I didn't even know I had taken it. I took 2g before going to sleep, so in case it got bad I would hopefully have been able to sleep through it. I'd eaten two sandwiches and some cookies before I took it, spread out over one hour period, so my stomach wasn't too full - I was scared I would be sick from having too much food, so I wanted to be full, but not too full. I then went into bed, watched a movie, and fell asleep. Woke up in the morning, no side effects for now. And the taste isn't that bad at all!!! It might not be the most pleasant ever, but definitely not as bad as some people make it sound"

qwerty8173 June 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I had my annual pap and they found that I had bv (I had no symptoms) so they prescribed me 4 pills (500 mg) to take of metronidazole all at one time. I took the pills on a full stomach and with water. I laied down for a nap, 2 hrs later I woke up with a 101 fever, sore throat. Later that day I had the sweats and chills, colored vaginal discharge which I didn't have before, and when I ate and drank everything had a weird metal taste to it. I work night shift and never have a problem staying awake, but tonight I could barely keep my eyes open. I just feel out of it all the time. I haven't talked to my doctor yet about my side effects to this drug, but I'm thinking I should start a woman's probiotic."

Anonymous June 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Dental Abscess: "Went to the dentist June 14th, with Toothache, had some x rays taken, and saw there was an abscess on one of my upper right teeth. Prescribed me with 200mg, 3 per day of metronidazole which I have had before. By the Thursday evening the right side of my face was swollen, and Excruciating pain. Friday was no better. Today, (Saturday) swelling and pain had subsided a lot, but still there, especially in the jaw at the bottom. Hoping that by Monday, last day of taking them the abscess would have gone completely. Back to the dentist in 3 wks time either to have root canal or have the tooth extracted."

PoppiesUK (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Terrible! After the third day, my chest was tight accompanied with headaches, body aches and chills. I stopped after the third day and after reading side effects. Three days later, I'm still experiencing chills, headaches and I feel like I'm dragging."

Ccccg June 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "Was prescribed flagyl for BV but was never entirely sure I even had it as no tests were conducted. Took the pills and am so happy tomorrow is my last day! Literally the worst side effects ever, day one wasn't so bad just had metallic taste in mouth but every other day I've experienced headaches, nausea, and extreme fatigue to where I'm sleeping all day. The medication is so much worse than the slight issues I even had."

Cd4 June 13, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I actually feel as though I'm dying right now. My stomach is extremely bloated and painful, has been for the last few hours I've also been vomiting. I spoke to a Doc who told me yes it sounds like side effects from this tablet. Not happy as I'm in so much discomfort right now."

Glj (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I've taken this medicine before for a cold/flu. The taste is absolutely miserable. I can't take the full pill because it's too big for me ( I'm a bad pill taker). So I have to take two gulps. I've had BV on and off for at least three years. Everytime I go to the gyno they tell me I have it. I went once in Feb and once in may this year and I've had it the entire time. After my Feb visit I took the vaginally gel that's supposed to help. I've tried every antibiotic. I'm back on flagyl again for 7 days twice a day. My husband and I don't have sex while I'm on it. Also when my antibiotics are done I'm going to start taking a probiotic that helps with vaginally health."

Catlady14 (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "My urine is brown in colour."

Paathu (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Dental Abscess: "Had toothache for a week. Went to dentist. He cleaned out tooth and prepared for root canal. Put temporary filling in. (2 month wait on NHS) Week later I have swelling on gum above tooth. Another emergency appointment and given amoxcillin (penicillin) a week later my face on that side is swollen so much I look like I have a boiled sweet in there. Was given metronidazole. By the morning of day 3 on them the dizziness nausea and fatigue had developed into severe tachycardia, depleted blood o2 near on respiratory failure."

Bigredshed June 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Am a senior woman, recently diagnosed with BV. Only symptom was itching - no discharge, no smell. Took a one week course of this drug (500mg @ 2x/day) , itching cleared up after Day 4. After 7 day treatment ended, no more itching. But slowly itching returned four days later. Am now on my second, 7 day course and hope this works. Have experienced no real side effects except for a brief headache but take medication strictly as per instructions: one hour before eating; no alcohol. Interestingly enough, I have found that taking an anti-histamine for allergies helps relieve the itching too."

Newlife1234 (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diverticulitis: "I hate this drug so much I can hardly stand it. Unfortunately, this (with Cipro) seems to be the only viable treatment. Hate this so much I waited 2 weeks hoping it would go away by itself. Now on day 3. Sick as a dog. Nausea. Uncontrollable diarrhea. Dreadfully groggy, like I've taken sleeping pills. Lucky I'm retired, I can't leave the house. Can't get off the couch."

Anonymous June 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I'm on my fourth day taking the medication, and let me tell you I have never had such bad side effects. I always get tonsillitis so I'm use to antibiotics and have never had bad experiences with any. This has been so horrible so far. From the horrible taste in my mouth, to the dry throat. The confusion and being unable to speak clearly today. The most recent side effect has been pain and stiffness in my right foot with a bit of tingling and numbing sensations. I called my doctors offices and begged for a different medication. I can't go on with this medication, the symptoms just keep getting worse and worse. No wonder the medication is so cheap."

SL4305 June 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Trichomoniasis: "So I was diagnosed with trich yesterday (cheating ex boyfriend gave it to me) . My ob-gyn prescribed me Flagyl 500mg x 4 pills for 1 single dose. 24 hours have passed since I took the medication and I feel much better. I'm having less vaginal irritation, burning and I feel comfortable down there. It also helps that my doctor also prescribed me lidocaine jelly which helps numb the area"

Sarah Conley (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diverticulitis: "Just finished my second course of taking Metronidazole, 500 mg, 3 x day for 7 days. I was taking this along with Ciproflaxacin for recurring diverticulitis. The first course was six weeks ago, but at 400 mg instead of 500 mg. Side effects in round one included bad metallic taste in my mouth which lasted the entire course, headache/pain behind my left eye, on and off nausea. This most recent course was a bit more harsh with the constant metallic taste in my mouth and severe fatigue, but no headaches this time. The meds seem to do the trick with getting rid of the stomach pains on the lower left side of my abdomen, but the side effects are unpleasant. Best advice is to try and ride it out if you can as the meds work."

tci1210 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Dental Abscess: "I was prescribed 400mg to be taken 3 times a day for dental abscess and gum boil both of which didn't clear up previously despite taking 2 full courses of amoxicillin. After day two I was awaken by severe pain around my infected tooth and had to to take codeine and ibuprofen just to not to go crazy (this type of pain is an absolute terror). I noticed a strange sensation coming from the affected area and realised it was the abscess actually draining. It just shows how powerful and effective this drug is. You will read a lot of mixed reviews and stories of horrible side effects but don't get put off by it. it is safe and effective when taken as prescribed and it is better so suffer some minor inconveniences rather than indescribable agony."

michals June 7, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "First pill gave me a headache. After that no side effects. Don't let the reviews scare you. Usually people only leave reviews when its something bad. Good strong medicine that does its job."

mutha (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Lord where should I begin with this Medication...was told to take 2 pills for 7 days I am on day 7 and I am so happy it is almost over! Since day 1 I have had major side effects...the tiredness is the worst I literally laid in bed for 2 days no motivation to even move and that is not like me. Day 3 I started noticing a bad taste in my mouth and really dark urine. The pill definitely works it is the side effects that are horrible. Side effects: cramping headache tiredness metal taste in my mouth I experienced some confusion and extreme stomachache and dry mouth constantly....take with caution please."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "First couple of days were no problem, then I started feeling nauseous every afternoon and more tired than usual. Its the last day on my dosage and I don't feel like I can even keep food down, I've been trying to eat soup just to get something in my stomach but its been hard. I'm the type of person who has been surviving on 5-6 hours of sleep a night, but on this drug I've been sleeping longer, not feeling like I've gotten enough sleep, and taking accidental naps during the day. My doctor only suggested this to me saying that my bacteria levels weren't too high, so it was my choice to take these, if I could go back I wouldn't have started these pills. As far as I know they work, but the side effects I had are horrible."

FeelinSick (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Prescribed 1 tablet 3 times a day (200mg tablets) for suspected abscess lower jaw. After just 4 tablets started having weird dreams, palpitations, nausea, severe headache, hot sweats, shivering, blood pressure reached 193/92 could not get out of bed felt so awful didn't take any more. Still recovering 2 days later"

Rayllo (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2017