User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Crohn's Disease, Maintenance 4 reviews 27 medications

Clostridial Infection 21 reviews 28 medications

5.7
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 1020 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Metronidazole

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I have BV off and on. I never had it until a hysterectomy in my 30s . This time I was given a 7 day dose - 2 a day. I just took last pill. I still have discharge, odor...My stomach has hurt, my intestines hurt, I have thrush and yeast ...Thrush and yeast because of flagyl. Ask your doc for Tindamax. Two days of antibiotics. 8 pills Hysterectomies lead to chronic bv. I'm sick of this"

MeowOuch (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I was prescribed metronidazole for a bv infection I did t even know I had. After taking 4 days worth I developed the most awful allergic reaction to it. An intensely itchy burning rash from head to toe, aching and flu like symptoms. The medication was stopped and although the rash for the most part has calmed down after day 3 of stopping my feet are still intensely itchy and I am experiencing numbness all over my body. When will this nightmare end!"

Caza46 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I had a reaction to the medication. Hive, welts, swelling, achy joints, headaches, nausea, chills and hot sweats, it knocked me down for 4 days. I did not have a good experience with metronidazole! Steroids helped me back to life. Now I have to start over."

cvwag (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "This is my second time being prescribed this for BV, no symptoms. Went in for abnormal bleeding that subsided with Hormone cream (weird I know). They tested for everything and ended up with BV and Myo/Ureaplasma. I was taking this in conjunction with Doxycycline. The taste of this medicine is horrible. I was prescribed 2 pills a day (500mg) tablets for 5 days. Pretty sure this will clear it. It does give you fatigue, sensitivity to light and slight nausea but better than an infection. I would eat a heavy meal before taking this and take it same time each day. Good luck Ladies."

Ruskie April 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Dental Abscess: "I have had an abcess in the same tooth 3 times now over the past 7/8 years the problem is its a front one so my dentist is reluctant to remove it. As I have had it a few times now I can tell the strange sensation a mile of as it is coming on before the real pain starts which might I add is probably the worst pain I have ever endured. So I went straight to the dentist. Because I caught it early this time he didn't want to perform a root canal and prescribed me with metronidazole 400mg 3 a day for 5 days I have had amoxicillin previously and it didn't work properly and had to have 2 root canals in short succession (not pleasant). I'm now on day 4 the swelling has decreased considerably very impressed with this medication"

Teamtayzer April 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "Pathetic medicine I was prescribed flagyl 400mg 3 times a day for 3 days. After day one I felt the side effects immediately. Tiredness, fatigue, headaches and increased sensitivity being the major ones. Worst part is after completing my course I'm still feeling the side effects.Sensitivity to light has increased along with dizziness and fatigue!!!"

erix April 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "I was in hospital for extreme pain in my tummy, vomiting and diarrhea at same time which later turned into vomiting and pooping blood. Diagnosed with Colitis. She also said it was a BI. I stayed a day cause the pain was so bad and I couldn't keep anything down so I was giving morphine by IV till I could keep fluids down. Also on Flagyl 500 3x day and Cipro 500 2x day for 14 days. On my 4th day and this medicine has been a life saver!! I've lost 6 pounds in 4 days. I'm only eating a couple crackers and soup juice. Nothing taste right. some foods have a metal taste. Also, makes me ache like I have the flu. But nothing like the pain I was in before! I will take these few side effects before going through the pain I had before."

DeDe A. C (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diverticulitis: "If I could give a neg 100 I would. I hate this drug. Horrible side effects, I'm still dizzy and have brainfog after 3 months. I had a severe headache, vomiting, severe anxiety, horrible brainfog, fatigue, no appetite. I still have anxiety! Cipro, or any fluoroquinolone are usually prescribed with this. I have to say shame on all the doctors who give any fluoroquinolone out since Bayer themselves and the FDA sent out warning letters. FDA safety review found that both oral and injectable fluroquinolones are associated with disabling side effects involving tendons, muscles, joints, nerves and the central nervous system. These side effects can occur hours to weeks after exposure to fluoroquinolones and may potentially be permanent. "

Cindyrella4545 April 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Well I definitely drank the day before having to take this and nothing happened. I am not getting any of the side effects and I'm on day two. and everything is improving. Discharge isn't smelly etc."

iowaaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pelvic Inflammatory Disease: "This is the worst antibiotic I have ever taken in my life. I was to be on a 14 day course had to stop on day 12. Here I am three days later and STILL SICK FROM MEDICINE. around day 9 or 10 I couldn't keep food down. I have been having what feels like food poisoning. Nausea, diarrhea, gas, bloating. I can't sleep, eat or do daily tasks. Ceased my antibiotic and didn't finish course because I am SICK AS DOG!!! wish I would have down research before agreeing to taking this. Hope I begin to feel better soon."

Chatterbox1335 (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I took this drug exactly as directed. Twice a day with a meal... yada yada... you already know how it goes. I didn't have any symptoms other than metallic taste in mouth.... however this did not clear up my BV at all. My odor and discharge wasn't bad to begin with, I've just been very itchy and very sore after sex down there. (I've been tested for everything, only one parter, he's clean and been tested too. NO STDS. Only BV) still very itchy. Nothing is working, and I'm beginning to become desperate for a cure :("

Hopeless :( (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Dental Abscess: "Prescribed flagyl after finding out I had an infection under tooth which was excruciating I couldn't eat all week so I told the dentist this but he prescribed this disgusting pill along with anti-inflammatories and paracetamol. I ended up in A&E with horrendous stomach pain, vomiting the next morning - Dr in hospital said straight away "was it flagyl you took"...it took 48 hours for pain to subside and then started Augmentin with no side effects.Never again would I take that tablet massive reaction to it.."

PjSpain April 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Had to take this for an infection where my wisdom is coming through. It got rid of the swelling but I couldn't finish the course. I was throwing up a lot, couldn't even keep water down. Got terrible diarrhea with it as well and was constantly tired. The stomach ache that kept going from a stabbing to an aching pain and constantly lingered just made me irritable, although irritability is also another symptom. All round terrible to take."

CrazyKitty96 April 3, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Dental Abscess: "Sat up in bed at 5 in the morning. I've taken 3 of my recommended dose. When I swallow them it feels like they are the size of a pineapple can somebody please tell me when the antibiotics will start working. I've had two 10lb babies but nothing compares to this gum pain"

Jessamie April 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Mostly everyone is right about the metallic taste in the mouth, cramping or discomfort in the center of the abdomen, and less appetite. Those were the same symptoms I encountered, however these are effective pills as its for a good cause. Best advice for a successful recovery would be to take medication same time twice a day, avoid alcohol, and don't have sex until your done completely. Besides who wants their significant other experiencing an unpleasant smell with a heavy discharge. Eww"

Neicy90 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I just finished last pill ( metronidazole) tonight.. dr. Put me on them twice a day for 10 days. My symptoms slowly begin 2 improve around day 6 or 7. I was feeling discouraged but tonight day 10 I feel great. I suffer from recurring yeast infections as well and tonight is the first night i feel 100% symptom free! From everything but I really hope it last... and i can go back 2 normal ."

Charlee b March 30, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "After suffering for 2 weeks, I went to my GYN and was diagnosed with a bacterial infection. She prescribed Flagyl. And even though it tastes awful, I have found it to be quite effective. I am on my last day and even though I still have some slight symptoms, I feel much better. I took my doses with milk to lessen the nausea and used an oatmeal wash and miconazole nitrate cream for the itching. Both have helped a lot in getting me through this awful infection. Even with the bad taste and the side effects, I would definitely use this medication again, although I hope never to have this infection again."

Grpch75 March 29, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Trichomoniasis: "The medicine taste horrible but it works ! I coated it with peanut butter to take away from the taste & took it with milk. I also made sure to have food on my stomach. The first two days I took with water it was horrible then I did the peanut butter idea wayyyyy better and milk helped with upset stomach and nauseating feeling"

Beans ! March 29, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I've had BV for a while but I thought it was in response to getting the mirena IUD a few months ago. My doctor just prescribed me the 2 pills a day for 7 days of metronidazole, and my last day to take the medication is tomorrow but my symptoms have hardly improved. Maybe a little better on the smell, but still itching. I've been avoiding having sex due to some research on the internet telling me I shouldn't do so while on the medication, but had sex once and there really wasn't any pain. Hoping the symptoms will clear up but I'm feeling discouraged since I've been on the meds for 6 days now."

Sarah Larson March 28, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "I was prescribed 500mg for twice a day in order to get rid of my BV. I only had a small headache the first night and slight nausea, but it wasn't bad at all. The rest of the days and nights were fine. BUT, this is what I did: ate a big brunch and a big dinner, and took the pill in between eating each meal. During the middle of the day I ate something with probiotics, like kimchi or cultured cashew cheese. At night before bed I would have I high quality probiotic pill with 50 billion cultures that support vaginal health. Other than that, lots of water, healthy food, and using condoms! Good luck!"

Happy! (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Trichomoniasis: "I found out I had trich about two weeks ago, completely took me by surprise because I had no symptoms that I wasn't used to. I took 4 500mg at once & these symptoms cleared up and my vagina was a brand new person. Sadly, had unprotected sex again & now the symptoms are back full throttle, I can barely stand to urinate. Thankfully I just took another prescription of the same dose... I hope it works because I'm miserable!!!!"

Anonymous March 22, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diverticulitis: "Been on Cipro 2x & Flagyl 3x for 7 days after diverticulitis attack. Feeling hungry but don't want to eat. Feeling lightheaded, a little nauseous at times, no energy, no ambition. Flagyl taste is disgusting. No way I was going to be able to take that 3x a day for 14 days so I cover it with peanut butter and then swallow (just like the dogs)!! Pain was pretty much gone after a couple of days but hardest part is the bland diet and no or very little calcium. Think some extra spicy hummus brought this on. May have to give up the hot peppers."

AjaDiamond March 22, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diverticulitis: "I to have diverticulitis....while in the hospital for this the healthcare team emphasized over and over that the GMO's allowed into our country are the root cause of this horrific problem. The drugs are both helpful for infection but can cause so many life changing side effects you have to weigh your odds. Why not just stop buying foods with GMOs and begin to take action to fight the idiots who are suppose to be protecting our food and drug system! It's all about greed and at our expense!"

PAaaaaaaaaah March 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I've had to take these meds before for BV, (Had it twice in the past) and those times I've taken it, I was totally fine. But this time around? I'm in hell. My doctor prescribed 21 pills (2x a day) instead of the 14 I had in the past. The first day or two was okay, only a little nausea, which I take Ondansetron for, so that helped. But the past couple days have absolutely sucked. I've had to run to the bathroom a few times because I thought I was gonna vomit, have had abdominal cramping, dizziness, etc. I haven't taken my pills for 36 hours and I feel so much better than when I was on them. My BV symptoms feel better, but I'd rather try a different treatment to ensure it has fully gone."

Salamanders March 20, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Trichomoniasis: "I experienced my first Pap smear two weeks ago and was tested positive for trichomoniasis and a yeast infection. My doctor prescribed metronidazole 500 mg 2x for 7 days. Never missed a day. Side effects were dark urine but after the third day I had no more symptoms until now. This marks the second day since my treatment and the symptoms from the trichomoniasis is back. This has broken me all the way down.. and to make matters worse I'm going to Miami with my ex boyfriend (Does not have trich) for spring break."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2017