User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Metro, Flagyl IV, Protostat, Flagyl 375, Metro IV, Metryl

Bacteremia

1 review 25 medications
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 6.5 1,701 reviews

Reviews for Metronidazole

Bip · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 19, 2019

For Diverticulitis: "I have IBS and diverticulitis and it sucks having that. I hurt so bad I went to the Emergency room the other night because my intestines were inflamed so bad so they gave me flagyl and cipro to take .... and they work wonders for me ."

Misery · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2019

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "I got Bacterial Vaginosis two months in a row from the birth control I was on. The first time I took Flagyl it worked like a charm. My infection disappeared within a few days and I felt a lot better, no side effects or anything. This month, I got prescribed for it again at 500 mg 3 times a day for 7 days. I got two days in and got hit by a train. The nausea and dizziness from this medication forced me to call off work twice. I finally downed the dose to 2 a day and now I'm forced to eat every 2 hours to avoid the nausea. Also had to start taking probiotics to avoid the C. Diff that other users got. Overall, I'd say try something else. When it was bad for me, it was like being run over by a cart on fire."

Saffron · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "I am only on day 2 of metronidazole and I can't deal with the side effects! Head is killing me, zero energy and I feel like I am going to vomit all the time. Not continuing this torture."

It's me bkat · Taken for less than 1 month July 16, 2019

For Trichomoniasis: "Update: Flagyl is rough to take but it does the job for trich. Previously I would never take flagyl because of side effects but I had to tough it out because it's one of the few used to treat it and options were minimal. One dose option did not cure me on two separate occasions. The 2 -500 mg twice a day for 7 days did the trick. Lol Don't miss a dose and finish all pills WITH FOOD to help with side effects. It will work if taken correctly and don't read the bad reviews."

CB July 16, 2019

For Diverticulitis: "I have had diverticulitis for several years now and had my first partial bowel resection after I was extremely ill and diagnosed with a perforation. Since then I have kept a combo of aerobic and anaerobic anti-bacterial meds on standby. I agree with a few other ppl....Cipro is extremely BAD for you. Flagyl isn’t great either but my Cipro experience was the absolute worse. I have never had side effects from any medications ever...until this one. My doc changed my regiment and am now on a keflex + Flagyl combo. It works but still get a prolonged upset stomach for a number of days after finishing the 10 day cycle. I find taking chewable gravol and eating yogurt, eggs, and drinking plenty of fluids does help. Diverticulitis completely sucks. And I’m sorry all of you who has posted are enduring this disease. Do what you can to avoid the resection. It is absolutely horrible."

Elwk23 · Taken for less than 1 month July 15, 2019

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Made me sick from the time I started. Vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, headache, couldn't eat, or drink anything. The pills literally started to turn into powder when it hit my mouth. Taking 500mg, 3 a day for 7 days. I can't get past day 4..I still have BV.. its actually worse now than before I started. I do not like this medicine"

Deathly Ill July 13, 2019

For Clostridial Infection: "There are worse things than death. This is one of them. I am NEVER sick. Epitome of good health. Took Clindamycin for tooth infection. Contracted C diff. Horrible. This medication is like chemo. On my 5th day of 14 of 3 500mg pills per day. 20 times a day to the restroom has subsided. Side effects are excruciating. Weak, headaches, fever, metal taste, no appetite, cramps, bloated, dark urine, lethargy, depressed, etc There has to be a better way. I am so tired of this. Week 3 of my summer ruined and gone. Big pharma should try the drugs on management instead of the innocent animals that have died."

Hpylorisurvivor · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2019

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I want to share my story because when I was prescribed this, then after seeing all the reviews I was very scared. I'm here to tell you that there is a really good chance that you will not have any of those effects if you take it like you are supposed to. First, some people advised to take it with orange juice which I researched and is a no-no. Also try to not eat too much fiber during the time you are taking antibiotics, I searched and fiber takes away some of the potency. Take it with plain water and eat some lettuce leaves with it. I got bad after taste which was not that bad only once when I laid down on my right side at night. If you lay on the left side, and you should have not problem. I am H Pylori free and I plan on staying that way, I changed my whole diet, and lost 10 lbs and feel Great."

laurenj July 10, 2019

For Dental Abscess: "Was prescribed 200mg of Metronidazole 3 times a day along with 500mg of Amoxicillin for a dental abscess. I've taken Amoxicillin several times before and I know I have no adverse reaction, so all of the side effects must be due to the Metronidazole. Had a severe wisdom tooth infection which completely locked the right hand side of my jaw, and was prescribed Metronidazole by the emergency dentist. Seems to be working as I'm now on day 4 and my jaw has mostly unlocked and the pain and swelling has reduced greatly, but the side effects are horrible. I'm so tired constantly and feel as if I have no motivation to do anything, which is awful at work. It's also given me anxiety and a really tight chest and heart palpitations, which aren't helping the anxiety. I have headaches and brain fog and my stomach definitely doesn't feel right. If possible, I would recommend requesting another form of antibiotics. They've been just about bearable for me, but I wouldn't take them again unless there was no other option."

MomofJoey · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2019

For Diverticulitis: "So....I just took my first dose of ciprofloxacin and metronidazole a few hours ago for diverticulitis. I just ate two small cups of activia yogurt. Can I eat yogurt while on these antibiotics? After reading a lot of these experiences, I am not sure if I should wait until I'm finished with the meds????? BTW...Haven't had diverticulitis (flare up) since 2001. This is only the second time in my life and both times I ate an enormous amount of peanuts! I will never eat a nut (of any kind) again!!!! This is so painful!!!!!!!!"

Jimmy · Taken for less than 1 month July 9, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "TLDR: Cleared up infection but rocked me with pretty bad side effects. I was on Metronidazole for 5 days, three tablets a day at a 400mg strength for a tooth infection. The dentist prescribed me this as I am allergic to penicillin. Day 1 - 2: Felt alright, tooth pain went away pretty quickly. But from Day 3 onwards I developed some pretty bad flu-like symptoms; fever, flushing, nausea, fatigue, tiredness and my entire body was aching. By day 5 my lower back was in a fair amount of pain and I had to take cold showers and paracetamol to control the fever and sweats."

Anonymous July 8, 2019

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "I felt it was important for anyone prescribed Flagyl and looking at possible side effects. I delayed treatment due to reading comments and becoming horrified at the stories of other people's experiences. For me NOTHING HAPPENED!! I am the most sensitive person when it comes to medications. I had no side effects on this medication except for a slight headache on Day 1. That could also been attributed to me coming off of sugar and caffeine also. NO SIDE EFFECTS. All I did was put coconut oil around the pill, threw it to the back of my throat, and washed it down with juice. Problem solved reagarding awful pill taste. I did not touch alcohol. I cut out caffeine and sugar as to not add to any potential anxiety. There could be many reasons others have side effects including other prescription drug interactions. Please don't get thrown off by other peoples horror stories like I did. Just follow directions, eat properly, stay away from the alcohol, and get better."

Tummy trouble · Taken for less than 1 month July 8, 2019

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "This is my third time with diverticulitis and have taken Flagyl and Cipro combo each time. I'm currently on day 7 of the course and it has relieved the pain early on each time. So for that it is highly effective. The down side is that you can't drink alcohol. It also leaves a terrible metallic taste as well as dry mouth which is hard to deal with and annoying to say the least. Slight nausea from time to time as well."

Na-Na · Taken for less than 1 month July 6, 2019

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Trichomoniasis: "I have taken this med in 4 doses at once a few times and done it a different way every time. I ate more than normal and then took it with a phenergan because phenergan is for nausea and causes drowsiness. This is the only way if you are a drinker."

Nina · Taken for less than 1 month July 4, 2019

For Dental Abscess: "I nearly didn’t take Metronidazole after reading these comments. I’m so glad I decided to take it anyway as it is curing my dry socket. I took advice from one review and am eating a lot of live yoghurt (with ginger) and probiotics. I’m also making sure I eat before taking it. I find that I feel sick if I don’t eat regularly. I’m feeling very tired but at the end of the day I feel lucky to have access to antibiotics."

Diz · Taken for less than 1 month July 4, 2019

For Dental Abscess: "Currently taking this metronidazole (3x400mg) along with amoxicillin (3x500mg) for upper back tooth abscess. It's only been a day, abscess hasn't gotten worse but yet to see any real improvement. Private dentist, they keep their own supply, receptionist blundered by saying you don't have to take with food. Oh yes you do, or you'll get the nausea, rumbling tummy and burping I did before I read the label. Yesterday my eyes were stinging too, despite staying well hydrated. I got cranky, had night sweats, hot flashes and throbbing temple, reported by others too, but I'm a woman of a certain age so some of it could be down to that too. I took Ibuprofen last night to reduce pain and inflammation so I could get a decent sleep for the first time in days, helped a lot. Don't normally take any meds but feel right now it's a necessary evil. Once both courses are complete I'll be taking probiotics to ward off gut problems."

Big Facts · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "I feel like garbage ! So nauseous. I cannot tolerate the feeling I keep trying to eat to block the feeling of the pill coming back from my stomach up my throat whole. Not to mention the bad stuff taste that comes with that feeling- even more sickening. This is the worst feeling ever I wish I read the reviews before, although the medication does work. Using to treat BV"

blackgirl · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2019

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I was prescribed Metronidazole for BV after not knowing that’s what it was this whole time, and as much as the medicine taste was HORRIBLE, I’m so glad I’m done with it and my infection has gone away. I had very little side effects (simple headache when I didn’t eat with the medicine) so this medicine worked for me."

It's me bkat July 3, 2019

For Trichomoniasis: "I was given flagyl in 2017 for BV. I could not take it as it made me feel weird. In 2018 I was diagnosed with Trich. They gave me the one does (did not work). In 2019 I was diagnosed with Trichomoniasis again. They gave me one 2000mg dose again. I was retested 10 days later and positive again but with minimal parasites so the doctor wanted me to do 7 day dose. I was scared and nervous as is but started it because it was the only med to work and wanted to be done with it. It was toughie first few days but after the 5th day my body got used to it. Nausea, fatigue, and headaches were the main side effects . I've finished the course a day ago now and my advice is only read positive reviews, take the med with a lot of food. Eat a bit, take your pill, eat the rest of food. Do not take it on an empty stomach and do not take it right before bed, woke up sicker than heck.Take it 2 hrs before you lay down so it isn't stuck In your throat all night. Your body does seem to adjust to it."

parker · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2019

For Diverticulitis: "I have taken Flagyl multiple times for diverticulitis and each time I take it the side effects are worse than the time before. This time, however, I started taking doing this...In the morning I take a 50 billion unit probiotic, take the flagyl with water and immediately eat about a 1/2 cup of yogurt. Even when I was on clear liquids, I used at least a tablespoon of yogurt each time plus an additional probiotic in the evening. I am presently on my 6th day and am getting other side effects...dark urine, small headache, intermittent nausea, slight metallic taste, but the worst is how HOT I feel! Almost suffocating heat. It has been happening if I do any walking around or housework. I also am having intermittent blurry vision and today my ears are ringing. I HATE this drug but I am almost scared to stop it since I've had so many recurrences of diverticulitis in the past 4 years."

Unknown · Taken for less than 1 month July 1, 2019

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "This medicine works like a charm for my BV , but this time around my side effects have been at its worst. The second day of taking this I was feeling drainnnnnned...all I want to do is sleep.The nausea is not so pleasant either. But the most recent side effect that did it for me was the achy pain in my arms hands and feet. I have two days left on my dosage."

Eh · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2019

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I took Metronidazole about two weeks ago to treat BV. Got told to take the two doses every twelve hours for 7 days. The first time I tried taking a pill- it got stuck in my throat, causing me to start vomiting (I tried taking it with water, do NOT take it with just water, the taste is horrendous). That night I found this thread and seen someone say to take it with something thick. So I started downing a glass of milk just to get it down. I was 9 weeks pregnant or so at the time. But I was more exhausted than usual. The third day I had hives and was super red and itchy. I kept taking the pills and the hives went away. But I STILL have BV (I can tell by the discharge). Anyways, hoping to get an appointment set up this coming week to get checked AGAIN and prescribed more meds. Ugh"

shellywelly · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "I have been taking this drug for a jaw infection have had severe chest pain for the whole time I have taken it side effects say stomach pain going round to back with maybe that is what it is. I have also had diarrhea which is a side effect. I've only got one day left to take it and my jaw still doesn't feel normal. I may see dr if it comes back bad or I am seeing dentist on Wednesday"

Barb · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 25, 2019

Flagyl ER (metronidazole) for Dientamoeba fragilis: "I took this for a Protozoa infection bowels and it stopped the diarrhea"

Dominique June 25, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "The only concern I have is that I've been having fevers for 5 days now. The second day I threw up but, I believe it's because if an empty stomach. I'm having a severe infection and I believe it developed right after the colonoscopy and 3 biopsies. I'm on my 4th day of a 7 day antibiotic treatment. Taking this with Cipro...."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)