User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Crohn's Disease, Maintenance 3 reviews 26 medications

Giardiasis 12 reviews 13 medications

5.9
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 806 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Metronidazole

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "I was taking Flagyl two times a day for a week time period and it was awful in terms of side effects was concerned. It started working instantly. However, I was throwing up every night I took this pill due to upset stomach which was aggravating because i already was not eating much to begin with so I was dry heaving. I experienced diarrhea, short breaths, brief itching. The metallic taste puts a horrible taste in your mouth so bad to the point I literally dreaded taking the pill each day. But midway through the pill I got smart and put it on a spoon full of yogurt to mask the taste and let me tell you it works wonders! So if you don't eat yogurt try a pudding or something like that and it will be so much better. I hope that helps."

Ceepee23 September 27, 2016

For Dental Abscess: "Amoxycillin for dental Abcess only seemed to make it angry, my face was swollen, particularly below my eye, the pain was terrible and I took too many painkillers. Back at Dentist after 5 days they added Metronidazole to the prescription so I took both. Told no alcohol and to always eat prior to taking tablets which I took together 3 times a day at 8 hour intervals after food. 500mg - Amoxycillin and 400 mg Metronidazole. Just after twenty four hours the pain had dropped considerably and I was able to take less painkillers in fact less than 1/2. Prior to that I was setting an alarm just prior to their running out after 6 hours, I even woke up in the middle of the night to take them. Metronidazole was wonderful -but follow instructions"

Shaggy the second. (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Today is my third day with flagyl for BV. I do have a weird taste in my mouth, when I brush my teeth and eat. To prevent yeast infection I eat yogurt, and take a probiotic powder packet that's fizzy and you mix into water like an emergen-c packet. I also wear long dresses and nightgowns around the house without undies to help with air flow which heals and prevents yeast infections. It's my health and going commando , taking flagyl, and drinking water to dilute the concentrated urine, all have been helpful in stopping side effects."

MandersR September 25, 2016

For Diverticulitis: "I have taken this medication more than I have wanted to for Diverticulitis (this and cipro combined kill the infection) as well have taken for BV. Does it suck? Yes. Can it make you feel like crap? Absolutely. But suck it up and take the medication. Either push through the side effects or don't get better. Eat a small snack before taking. Immediately drink water - a full glass. Take on schedule and your issues will go way."

METRO aka Flagyl (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 25, 2016

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "The worst metallic taste in mouth, dizziness and nausea"

Daisymay246hfdsvdsaa. September 23, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I was prescribed this med for a bacterial infection. And here i am awake at 3.30 in the morning feeling nauseated, anxious and unable to breath well. This is day 1 on the pill. I took 400 mg in the morning and i was fine, and 400 mg at night. I fell asleep and suddenly i woke up feeling really weird. I used to suffer from an anxiety disorder and i thought maybe my anxiety is back after a whole year, but then i remembered the antibiotic! Checked the side effects and bingo. I really hope the side effects will subside soon"

Gina89 (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Reading these reviews freaked me out. I took the 2000mg single dose (5 x 400mg tablets). I had a slice of toast with peanut butter and the filled my mouth with a sweet drink and didn't let the tablets touch my tongue. No taste at all other than the drink. No nausea. Nothing. Went to bed, woke up, BV gone. Happy days."

Lolsasif September 22, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I never have reactions with medicine but I did with this one. From day one I have had extreme nausea, headaches, dizziness, and exhaustion. I took 2 pills per day for five days and couldn't complete the bottle. It got to the point that I decided that it just wasn't worth it. I have reached out to my Doctor to see if she can put me on different medication to treat my BV."

Allie C. (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2016

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "this is by far the worst tasting medicine ive ever had! i dread taking it but it did clear up my infection but at the end of my 7 days i ended up with oral thrush and a yeast infection i was able to cure those on my own with home remedies the med is effective just has a few unpleasant side affects"

TY TY September 16, 2016

For Diverticulitis: "Makes my cigars taste like crap. 52 years old eat all the wrong foods never exercise. I'm as healthy as you can be blood work always comes back perfect. I only go to doc every 5 years for blood work, told me its time for a colonoscopy, went to see the GI doc and he thought i might have Diver. because of mild pain on left side CT scan came back good but won't do the colonoscopy unless I take 10 days of meds just in case I have a mild case of diver that ct scan did not pick up."

Anonymous September 15, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I would NOT recommend this crap to my worst enemy! I've never taken medicine that made me as sick as I am. I was prescribed metroniazole to take twice a day for 7 days. It cause very bad headaches/mild fever, horrible taste to cold drinks/foods, vomitting nearly 12 hours straight, nausea, diarrhea ugh!! I'm on day 6 can I honestly can't wait until my last day tomorrow. It also caused a yeast infection. I just feel horrible like why do they even have this medication on the market? Idk how I'm going to take my 2nd dose for day 6 cause I feel too queasy. I just wanna get back to my normal self I'm restless!"

Jj2525 September 8, 2016

For Dental Abscess: "A week ago,I had a wisdom tooth extracted ,after the anaesthetic had worn off I was in agony,obviously after such trauma to my gum,the pain should be expected right? For the next 5 days I was crying in pain,everyday,night,all through the day..ive had 5 strokes but recently broke my back in 2 places,I'm on some pretty heavy duty painkillers,the pain was so bad,in my gum,that I did what I never thought id do and I took extra pain meds... Yesterday,I went back to dentist He poked my wound,gum and jaw,then wrote up a script for metronidazole 200 mg to be taken 3 times a day,a 5 day course. He asked if I had liver problems,then told me if I was sick I was to stop.I feel great,hardly any pain.this drug works wonders."

di66 September 8, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I've never had BV before, so when I got this medication I was relieved thinking it'll be gone in no time. Well I was fine the first day I took it, with slight nausea. Second day I felt more nauseated. This is my third day and this morning when I took it... I was soooo dizzy heading to my classes I thought I was going to pass out. I also felt so sick from the time I got up and worsened after I took the medication. I have been shaky all day, still feel sick and dizzy. I also have this awful taste in my mouth along with a dry mouth. I am going to continue to take it because it seems to help but it's either too strong for me or I am just one unlucky gal that gets the side effects."

maylp (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Went to dr for annual check up was told I had BV. I figured something was up due to odor during intimacy. Was prescribed the pill to take for 7 days 2 pills a day. On the 2nd day I felt good. No side effects!"

Anonymous September 5, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "This medication is horrible. I've taken Flagyl many times to deal with chronic BV and have noticed that if your even a half hour late with your dosage, the medication stops working entirely and BV comes back with a vengeance. It is imperative to take it at about the exact same time everyday. I experience the odd taste. Everyone says it tastes metallic, but it tastes like chicken to me. I get nauseous sometimes with this and my urine turns dark. But definitely one of the worst medications to treat BV with."

Vanessa Ives September 3, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "A little advice on taking METRONIDAZOLE OR FLAYGL pills.. Put a little juice or milk in your mouth (just enough to puddle in the back) HOLD YOUR NOSE AND drop the pill in the back of your throat then take another drink of milk or juice and swallow hard... Putting the milk in your mouth will ensure the pill won't stick to your tongue and leave a very unpleaseant residue and taste. Holding your nose will mute the taste of the pill because you need your nose to taste... Hope this helps"

VaggyGal (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2016

For Surgical Prophylaxis: "I was taking this and Cipro and found it made me very, very dizzy. After talking it over with my doctor she changed the dose from 3 times a day to half strength 4 times a day. The dizziness went away, mostly, but the taste in my mouth is awful."

Crafter1701 (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Ive taken this in past for vaginitis and other infections. This time i went to ER for abrupt onset of chronic diarrhea that wouldnt stop. Was having watery stools for 4 days. They ruled out crohns, an ulcerative colitis, but said it could be any other infection within my tract. CT scanned showed no inflammation. On day 2 of it. No side effects, no metallic taste, no dizziness, nothing. Its like taking a multivitamin. On 500mg 2x daily for 10 days. I guess because ive had this in the past it doesnt affect me. I do know it is a very good and steong antibiotic that will kill just about any bacteria. I feel better already. Id take side effects over being sick ANYDAY. They are temp. I have none thank the lort!"

Flaminblonde76 September 1, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I have been taking this antibiotic for 6 days tomorrow being my last day...7. Twice a day. I had a horrible headache all day one day. I have felt anxiety and long winded or like out of breath for no reason just from easy everyday stuff that at 26 yrs old never bothers me. Also, a taste in my mouth it comes and goes as well as the nausea. Id say the nausea is the worst by far...its even if i take it after i eat or took it the night before and get up an eat..just nausious on and off. And after all that i feel very sleepy like i just want to sit down and rest.Very mixed side effects, but im glad im not the only one.And im happy its working. I will say i been feeling the need to drink alot of water, my mouth feels dry to, water is helping!"

Anonymous September 1, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Tastes so bad! I make sure I drink before I take it and every time it gets stuck in my mouth and leaves the worst after taste I've ever had"

Lisaraee September 1, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "The Flagyl made me so sick I thought I was dying. Vomiting, nauseated, foggy brained, metal taste in my mouth. Never again! Totally off balance."

Runnermom (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I'm on the 3rd last day of this medication don't know why I have to but it's what my doctor prescribed me and I haven't been feeling the greatest and still have the bloody diarrhea, tired all the time and my muscles all around my stomach front and back have been really sore"

Anonymous August 29, 2016

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: "This drug caused uncontrollable diarrhea and stomach upset and I had to stop taking it after just 2 days. This was given for mild diverticulitis and I got better with a liquid diet for several days then low fiber soft food then graduated to regular foods. I had another bout of diverticulitis 4 months later and just did the diet - didn't go to doctors of use antibiotics. For my mild cases this is the way to go. This drug caused more harm than good."

nonickname August 27, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I took this as the 500mg for 7 days. Luckily, I had no serious side effects. I get nauseous easily and was reluctant to take it. A few times after taking the pill I felt nausea setting in, but I made sure to eat food with each pill and the nausea disappeared. It doesn't taste great but it didn't let it sit in my mouth. I started seeing results in just a few days!"

Anonymous August 27, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I started taking this drug last Tuesday for a possible Gastrointestinal bacterial infection. When I started taking it, I was suffering from diarrhea which then became bloody diarrhea Once I started taking the medication, the bloody diarrhea stopped but I continue to have loose movements, nausea and sporatic bouts of diarrhea. One of the things I can't stand about this drug is the sharp, overwhelming metallic taste. This medication should be coated to make taking it easier."

Mik4521 August 22, 2016