User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Metronidazole.

Crohn's Disease, Maintenance

STD Prophylaxis

1 review 25 medications
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 6.7 1,229 reviews

Reviews for Metronidazole

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "This drug almost killed me. I took 400mg twice a day x 5 days. First day was ok. The second day I experienced stomachache, agitation, insomnia, nausea, hallucination, nightmares. The third day rushed to hospital with blurred vision which lasted for over 11 hours. Never again."

Albertino76 December 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Effectiveness in treating BV- 10/10 Personal Experience and Satisfaction- 5/10 Symptoms experienced- Dizziness, headache, migraine, blurred vision, sensitivity to light, disorientation, cotton mouth, fatigue Hi everyone! This medication is extremely effective in terms of treating BV, however, the few days of having to taking it are probably the worst days I’ve had in awhile. Hoping many of you share more positive experiences while taking this medication "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "Went to the dr...realized I had bv...asked dr for creme flagyl but I was prescribed the pills instead. I eat ice usually everyday and drink only water... since the pills, I have had this metal taste and water especially doesn't taste right.. tastes like lead or something....food everything... how long does it take for this taste go away"

Brit8810 December 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "This is my first time getting BV and was given 500mg 2x a day. Started the antibiotic on the last day of my period. This medicine has curbed my appetite completely, made me extremely thirsty, given me nighttime sweats, and has made me feel extremely weak and fatigue. Not sure if the fatigue is from my not eating, but it definitely sucks. My discharge is still funky but odor has completely gone away (day 2). Would recommend if you have the guts to deal with the side effects!!!"

Anon0987 December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Took metronidazole 500 mg for seven days three times a day, oh boy did it clear my BV. This is a strong pill, I suggest to take it with a meal. The only side down of this medication is that it gave me an headache, dry mouth (no matter how much water I drank), feeling fuzzy, and made me emotional. I was strongly told by the doctor do NOT take any type of alcohol while taking this pill for two weeks. Which I followed. I know not everyone is the same, but it did help me clear my BV.... thank goodness"

Graykat December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "This Medication is HORRIBLE! My doctor put me on this treatment for 7 days and take two pills a day. Well let me tell you I took this medication about 10 years ago and I could not stop vomiting, having chills and just tired. Now that I’m 29 my Doctor put me on it again. I’m on on my first day and I feel like I am going to die!!! I am taking any more!! I will be calling her to put my on the gel form!! Please STAY AWAY"

JkZ (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "I was diagnosed with SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) in July of this year. Had my first round of antibiotics in August (21 days) I'm now on my 2nd round of antibiotics this time I’m on 500mg of Flagyl and 875mg of Augmentin. I’m about 2 weeks in or 14 days in and I feel horrible. Back pain, pain in both my feet and hands. Dizziness, very fatigued. All I want to do is sleep. I had changes in my urine and stools. Went to ER cause I thought I was literally going to die. I suffer from anxiety so this a medication just makes it worse. I have racing heart rate and all my labs and CT of my organs came back normal thank god. Funny how meds can fix one thing but cause all sorts of other things."

Eveette December 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trichomoniasis: "I was prescribed four 500mg pills to take at one time. My gyno highly recommended that I take them with food, because it would most likely upset my stomach. I weigh 95lbs soaking wet, and I'd never taken antibiotics before, so it seemed like a rather harsh treatment, but I took the medication as directed. I took it around 10pm, an hour before I went to sleep. It made me very drowsy right away. I woke up around 5am with the most horrendous nausea imaginable, and I started vomiting an hour later. The nausea and vomiting stayed for a couple of days. I developed a fever and had chills. Other side effects I experienced: stomach cramps, diarrhea, mouth sores, that metallic taste in my mouth, extremely dark urine."

AGirl1997 December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Clostridial Infection: "My dentist prescribed me with clindamycin - (avoid CLINDAMYCIN) nobody told me to take probiotics with it. It gave me a closotridial infection. Any how, I just finished metronidazole 500mg 3x a day for 10 days and still notice black particles in my stool. The diarrhea and abdominal pain has stopped which is awesome. I just feel really stressed and annoyed and I am just worried when it will completely go away so I don't infect my family."

Anonymous5389 December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Like everyone else, I have headaches that come and go, cramping, bloating, night sweats, disoriented and I feel a slight case of heartburn when I first swallow. The worst part, so far, is the dry mouth. The sides of my mouth feel like cardboard and all that I want to do is drink water but it’s making me urinate a lot more. There is one side effect that I’ve had that I haven’t seen anyone else mention yet. I have been on my period since I’ve started the pills, and this has been the strangest period that I’ve ever had. This period is heavier and is a brighter red than normal. Two hours after my initial first pill, I started gushing blood. I can’t wait until I’m done with this."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trichomoniasis: "So I was prescribed this medication for trich as some of you are familiar with from reading previously, well I got great results from the medication however I did get vaginal irritated itch with the discharge and it is a side affect, honestly, having unprotected sex isn't a smart thing to do, but thankfully Trich is curable and the itch is also. Keep in mind ladies no matter how clean good looking he might look, smell good he is probably not going to even know he is giving you more than a good five minutes of pleasure, it's 5 days of treatment that we carry now!!! Be smart !! good luck."

So done with good looks!! November 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Turns out I had bacterial vaginitis for a year or so and it was awful. I mean sex was painful, weird smelling discharge, everything was completely out of wack. I finally decided to go to a gynecologist, I told her all of my symptoms and she prescribed me Flagyl 2 a day for an entire week and only BAD side effects I personally experienced were mood swings, diarrhea (every single time) and the horrible chalky taste it left behind.. other than that, cured my BV. Tried every possible cure (natural) and I guess some things just don't work for everyone ... but flagyl worked wonders on me. I recommend .. (consult with your PCP)"

SMHithappens November 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diverticulitis: "Went to the hospital with severe stomach pain. CT Scan diagnosed Diverticulitis. And and infection in my Intestine. I did a dumb thing I ate a very small amount of Carmel cheese popcorn to satisfy a craving. Now I am paying for it. The flare up is the result of taking pain medicine and the popcorn Which caused blockage. I've been in pain since Monday ER sent me home with med Have to see my GI surgeon on the 4th of December. The popcorn is on top of the fridge. I did not think just eating a Small amount this would happened. Haven't eaten popcorn in years. Now I am paying the price for being stupid. If you have this issue then listen to your Doctor's instructions."

Bee65 (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "After taking this I felt queazy and lack of energy."

ChrissyG76 November 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dental Abscess: "Positive experience - I was prescribed a 5 day course of metronidazole 400mg 3 x daily for a tooth abscess. I wanted to review after terrifying myself from reading all the negative reviews. Fortunately this medication worked almost perfectly for me. On the first 2 doses I didn't eat properly with it and did experience some nausea, but from day 2 I made sure I ate a full meal with it and took the medication half way through eating with a large glass of water. No further side effects for me. Cleared up my tooth abscess and I felt fine on it. I didn't drink alcohol at all in the days leading up to taking it and for about a week after. My dentist warned me that drinking alcohol with it would cause a severe reaction so definitely avoid that."

KarenMalcolm (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Intraabdominal Infection: "I took this for 12 days after developing an abdominal infection after emergency bowel surgery. It was IV while in the hospital for 5 days and then orally 400mg 3 times a day. I don't know if it was responsible for the way I felt whilst in it (was also on co-amoxyclav) but I felt horrendous. I had the most awful dizzy, light-hearted headed, spaced out sensations for the entire time. I had a couple of times where I felt so bad I thought I was about to die. I have never experienced anything like that before but I thought I was having a major stroke. The sensation in my head and body was how I imagine a stroke would feel. I then, as a result, had my BP shoot up to 180/110 and pulse go above 100. Really terrifying! Got rid of infection though."

HippyG (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "This medication along with clarithimycin and Prilosec is awful!! I’m on day 5 of FOURTEEN :( and I’m extremely nauseous, very bad abdominal pain, tired, and very weak. I can’t eat anything because I feel so nauseous. Seriously if you get prescribed this be prepared to feel like you’re dying. I want to stop taking it so bad but afraid what it would do if I stopped taking it this early. I’m taking it for an h. Pylori infection.."

coourtyann (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I am on day 3 of this pill. I’m taking the 2 times a day for 7 days. And let me tell you, it it horrible! I woke at 4:30 am to extremely painful stomach pains. It was worse than my contractions from labor. It was diarrhea. I was sitting on the toilet in so much pain thinking that I was about to die. I was ready to throw up EVERYWHERE, I was in so much pain. My whole body started sweating so I had to take my clothes off. It was the worst pain I’ve ever felt! After the stomach pains subsided I felt ice cold everywhere! I don’t know if that’s normal but I’m not exaggerating when I tell you that stuff was painful!!!! I will never take this drug again and along with that I’ve had nausea and very bad headaches. I feel like poop."

Mac123098 November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Dental Abscess: "I was prescribed Flagyl three a day for 10 days due to a tonsil abscess. I’m on the 7th day and I will not be continuing. This medication feels like torture. I throw up or dry heave every time I take a pill. Nothing tastes normal, which makes me not want to eat nor drink. I am beyond weak and have lost so much weight in so little time. My doctors told me this was normal, when in fact it feels rather unhealthy. I would honestly rather have my initial infection then to experience the side effects of this medication ever again. It’s that bad."

peritonsilar abscess (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dental Abscess: "Suffer with G.O.R.D. so the heartburn has been awful, only day 3, 250mg twice a day with food. Have been very dizzy, light headed & felt like holding onto things to steady myself. Yesterday after walking & been on feet all day, got tingling/ pinching pain in one leg, went away after elevation & rest. Have had lower back & pelvis ache. A little nausea, but no real trouble eating, just the reflux making it seem worse. No trouble so far with bowel movements or urine discolouration. Infection clearing within the first two days, discomfort from abscess in glands gone after day one. Side effects much more tolerable than dental pain so far."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "This is the 2nd time I was diagnose with BV in a 3 year time span. I was prescribed two tablets a day for 7 days. I researched the antibiotic before taking it, most complaints were about the taste when it hits your mouth. I masked mine in a piece of bread and swallowed it no problem each time. No taste or after taste. Make sure you take on a FULL stomach. I was stressing/ nervous about the side effects as it seems like most experience the worse. I'm very sensitive to medication so to my surprise I didn't not get half the side effects as most. Tiredness, slight body soreness, soft stools. No vomiting or flu like symptoms. I have one more pill and ready to be back to normal. Symptoms improved after 2nd day. I'm happy it's gone and hope I don't get it again"

Dixxie November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Dental Abscess: "For a few years I have had this horrid smell coming from under my crown. I have had dental care from my dentist but the smell would persist. My dentist said he didn't notice an abscess but I told him that fluid was leaking from under the crown as well. I tried amoxicillin for 14 days (two seperate runs) and it calmed the smell down some but once I stopped the med, the smell came back full force. I am about to finish flagyl and I don't notice the smell at all. This is great, taste like crap but it works."

Chronic tooth funk November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "6 weeks after giving birth, my OBGYN informed me that I had BV. She prescribed metronidazole 500 mg to be taken 2/day for 7 days. I read all of the terrible reviews on this site and freaked out. I did not want to take this drug. I could not use anything topical due to not being fully healed from my delivery. I decided to try one pill and see what happened. Needless to say, I had absolutely NO side effects from this drug. I finished the course and my BV was cured. I made sure to take each pill after eating a full meal, and I even snacked a bit for a few minutes after. I also took very large doses of probiotics while being on this drug. I was pleasantly surprised and I try to avoid meds at all costs in general."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "This was the worst antibiotic I've ever taken. Took ONE, only freaking ONE dose and I was in the ER an hour later. 15 minutes after I took it I couldn't even see straight. Got to the ER and my blood pressure was sky high 158 over 96!!! My blood pressure has never been this high, not even when I was pregnant. Basically I felt like I was about to die from this antibiotic. And I believe the hospital staff thought something bad was going to happen because I got sent straight back and had sterioids, Benadryl etc given to me to reverse the effect immediately! It is STRONG! Even the nurse was cracking jokes with me about how strong it is. It may work for some people, but be careful especially if you're sensitive to medications!!!"

Madibee (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "DON'T VAPE!! I was prescribed this drug for BV after getting an abnormal pap and Colposcopy done. All doctors and pharmacists are quick to tell you that you should not drink with it. That is very true, after taking this drug for 5 days and feeling awful from it, I decided to go ahead and drink a few beers. So nauseous! HEED THE DOCTORS WARNING ON THIS!!!! Finally threw up and took a nap and felt much better. I DID NOT know that the PG (in my vape juice) is why I felt so bad for the whole first 5 days. It actually was a Vape site that made it clear to me. I understand that all info can be found in a leaflet that you get when you pick up the med, I just didn't put it together about PG and it being in almost all my e-juice."

tricky(not trichi)nikki (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2017