User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Crohn's Disease, Maintenance 4 reviews 28 medications

5.4
STD Prophylaxis 1 reviews 25 medications

Summary of Metronidazole reviews 1184 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Metronidazole

For Bacterial Infection: "Was prescribed (basically, handed a packet of pills) metronidazole by the company doctor on the Pacific island where I'm currently doing volunteer work. Five day course. By day two my dizziness and nausea had turned into uncoordinated gait and problems with fine motor control; that night I woke up panicking and completely dissociated from my surroundings. Went to another doctor who happens to be living in the same village as me, she told me I was having a rare and very serious sensitively to the drug. Miserable experience, but like I said, very rare. I'm sharing because the second doctor told me I was on it too long: if you experience any loss of balance or coordination on these drugs, even if you don't feel bad, you need to see a doctor."

LRG37 (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I had an incisional hernia open surgery and developed a nasty surgical infection.I was placed on this 500mg (3x daily) with cipro 500mg (2×daily). I had 2 problems one was the metallic mouth taste and the other was smell and insomnia (worse then I had before). It took 4 days but together this did what it was supposed to do and my surgical infection started clearing up.."

Surgical infection (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "The metronidazole 500mg made me feel queasy. I'm on my 5th day taking two tablets a day. But I'm having a lot of discharge."

M_K (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I was prescribed metronidazole 2x a day for 7 days after almost a month of suffering from horrible, intense itching of my vulva, it turned out to be BV. I was nervous on taking any antibiotics, it always made me nauseous and have the runs. My boyfriend suggested that I take probiotics 2 hours before taking my antibiotics, he said it will help with the side effects. I tried it and it worked, I took my meds around 12 hours apart with 2 probiotic gummies . I'm finally done with my 7 days and had almost no side effects, except a little light headedness on the first 2 days. I highly recommend taking the probiotics before every pill, it will reduce all side effects and will save all the good bacteria that the antibiotics kill."

Teetee1989 October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Yes, the side effects are pretty bad. I have had diarrhea, headaches, vertigo (dizziness), fatigue, and stomach cramps. However, the odor and discharge is gone by Day 4. The side effects can easily be tolerated for a week to cure the BV. I would probably use the vaginal gel if I ever got BV again though."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Oh my goodness this medicine is hard work. I feel like a pregnant women. My body goes through all kinds of changes mentally and physically. The nausea,increased hunger or no appetite, dry and metal taste in my mouth. Sore body and all I want to do is lay down but taking this medicine and waking up from a nap will make you feel drowsy and sleep deprived. I feel so weak taking this no matter how much I keep myself hydrated."

Cici from VA October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pelvic Inflammatory Disease: "I have only just started taking the metronidazole with doxycycline 2 days ago and I already am in so much pain. My head is throbbing and I can feel the pulses, my ears have been aching, I feel so faint when I get up, I cannot sleep, eating is okay but I have barely eaten and when I do it makes me feel sick. On top of all this I have been going to the bathroom every minute to pee, and after I pee I feel like I need to pee again. My urethra become so sensitive after I pee and it feels, like I said before, as though I need to pee again. I get hot flashes and had a temperature all day yeaterday and just last night I was freezing and slept with a jumper and covered my entire body with my blanket, even though the city I live in is hot"

AnonymousFlower October 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: "I'm on Flagl and cephalexin for diverticulitis. Today is day 4 and I feel lethargic. I sas in ER 2 days in a row for pain. Today feeling nauseous and getting diarrhea. I do not know if I can make it for ten days. (I am allergic to ciprofloxacin, penicillin,sulfa.) Soon as this is over going to immunologist to test if after 35 yrs. I can now tolerate some of the antibiotics I am allergic to because I have lung, urinary and now this is second bout of diverticulitis."

wjane47 (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "The doctor told me to have flagyl 500mg/day for 7 days for my BV. On my 2nd day, I feel so sleepy that I sleep a lot in the morning and the body gets warm every time I have it. On the 3rd day I got better but having headache the whole day. Now I'm taking my 4th day, I'm having stomach cramp. I hope the BV cleared up soon coz I want to stop this tablets."

rin ong (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "This is the 3rd day of my medication. This is so far the worst antibiotic ever! I have nausea, bloating, diarrhoea, headache. I cannot eat anything."

hateit September 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Clostridial Infection: "I was diagnosed with C. diff about a week ago. They think I got it from taking Cefdinir for acne for way too long. I don’t know if this drug is working for me. I guess I’m not going to the bathroom as much as before but I’m very constipated and I have absolutely no appetite. Then when I do eat, my stomach pays for it so I try to refrain from eating all together. Today is day 6 on the meds and I’m experiencing severe pain when urinating like I have never felt that before!! :( its awful. I’m beginning to feel lifeless. I have no energy to do anything and that’s because I have to return back to work in two days. I thought medicine is supposed to make you feel better with time, not worse. I really hope these symptoms start to subside."

Anon123457789 September 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Today was my first day taking this medicine. I was hesitant on taking it, but I have been in pain for 2 weeks not knowing why until I went to the ER saying I had BV and a cyst. I wish I read this website prior to be aware of the side effects. After taking the medication I was extremely tired and had a fever. I feel a bit out of it. It does not help with me trying to concentrate on math course. I do hope this takes affect tomorrow cause I have never experience such pain besides post birth."

Samsbee September 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I was prescribed the 2 a day dosage for a week and I yesterday was my last day on the medication. When I picked it up I was warned side effects included an upset stomach but the whole week while taking it my stomach was fine. Just one day for a few hours when I was experiencing cramps (unsure if they were metronidazole related or not). I'm concerned that the medicine isn't really working because the side effects aren't very apparent for me and compared to previous reviews their side effects were intense. In addition to that I still have discharge after the last day.."

grev23 (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I was proscribed this medication for 7 days, twice a day. 500 mgs. I have to say this is only been my 2nd day taking it and I feel like my infection has already started clearing up. I'm finally felling like myself again. One thing that sucks about this medication is the taste it starts to leave in your mouth. I feel like I always need to be eating or drinking otherwise I'm stuck with this chalky taste in my mouth. Also, make sure you eat before or right after you take this, otherwise you will feel very sick. Wish they warned you more about this."

Anonymous September 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I took Nidagel 5 weeks ago in the gel form over 5 days. I had some fever, headache on the 3/4 day but the worse was the metallic taste in my mouth. I could also smell this taste. The smell has lessoned over the week but I still have the terrible taste in my mouth and certain foods trigger the smell as well. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this long term effect. My doctor is taking this matter further for me."

Petali (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Ok so I'm 21 just so everyone knows. I'm taking this medication for 7 days at 500mg twice a day. It's been pretty rough the first tablet I was so tired, sensitive to light, super sick, headache, chills that felt like a fever, sweating, no sleep. The second and third day all the crazy symptoms went away and now I'm seeing dark urine (which is gone if I drink more water than usual,) a horrible metallic taste in my mouth, no appetite, I'm super bloated (the kind that you can't suck in if you know what I mean it's almost like my stomach is swollen,) and I feel so nauseous it's awful. These are the symptoms I have right now and they're honestly awful I also still get cold at night. I'm on day 3 and I literally can't wait to finish this medication."

NINI96 (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trichomoniasis: "Extremely nasty taste but got rid of infection."

OverItInPA September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "This medicine made me feel like I had a hangover. I was tired, irritable, and my head felt like it was in a vice, and I had some nausea. I don't know that I'll even want to use this if my BV comes back. Terrible medication. I can't work out or concentrate. I feel better if I'm drinking some thing or eating constantly. Ug...yuck"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Giardiasis: "I've had this for 4 years. I've seen many doctors and have lived very miserably and confused. My mother ignored me and kept calling me a hypochondriac but I wanted answers. Last week they figured it out. I'm on 500mg Metronidazole 2x daily for 7 days. Today is the 7th day. I have never in my life been so terrified of being unhealthy forever. I want to heal. On Tuesday, they will be testing my stool to see if I have rid myself of this infection. If I do not get rid of this stupid bug, I will be soo disappointed. And the metronidazole feels highly toxic. My tongue is yellow from all of the yeast in my body from my gut flora being annihilated. Someone comfort me. "

parkersean75yahoo.com September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Only day 3 of taking three Flagyl a day. Seems to be clearing up infection very rapidly. Only 2 side effect symptoms that are bothersome particularly whilst trying to work is - Massive headaches really painful and fatigue. Feel very cold after taking tablet as well. Happy to put up with that as long as infection clears up"

Razey September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I was prescribed two 250mg taken twice a day for seven days and I somehow managed to take it for four days and a half, big side effects after taking the last two made me stop it. The taste is awful which was expected but it stayed in my mouth until the fifth day I had stopped it plus I do not swallow pills so I ate them (with bread on it then icing to help swallow - only lost 1 because of swallowing the wrong way so was choking)! It ruined my tongue (looks like fur is on it)! Started this morning another antibiotic after five days of stopping this demonic pill (was too weak from it to start the other sooner)."

shumibiggi (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I will try to summarize my experience. Went to the hospital for stomach pains. Was given this in an IV and a prescription to take home. Next day, started having chest pain and back pain. That evening as I was falling asleep I experienced tightness in my chest and a difficulty trying to breathe with numbness in my lower face/neck and hands. I went to the ER again not sure if it was heart problems or a panic attack (which I’ve never had). ER said everything looked fine, but I was still having difficulty breathing and numbness even though I had calmed myself down. It is the day after and I still have numbness and heavy breathing but it has improved and I hope in another day or two I will be back to feeling like myself. I won’t take this antibiotic again"

EmberFire September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diverticulitis: "I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis about 4 years ago after having an attack that sent me to the ER. I have been put on the Cipro/Metronidazole combo several different times and each time the side effects, in combination with the diverticulitis attack, made me miserable. I'm on the fifth day of my latest attack and the pain is finally starting subside but the misery invoked by metronidazole is horrible. I will remember to ask my doc for something else in the future. Nausea, dry mouth, horrible taste in my mouth, furry tongue, diarrhea, and sinus congestion/sore throat have been the side effects I am dealing with. I spent three days in bed and finally had to go back to work; but I'm miserable. I will be so glad to take the last dosage!"

Solegypsy607 September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I want to share my experience to calm some of you women down that are scared to take this medicine. Lets start by saying I have a medication phobia. I'm always assuming the worst is going to happen when I start a new medication. I'm the biggest hypochondriac. I'm not even exaggerating when I say this.... I stared at this medication for 3 months before I finally took it because of the bad reviews I read. They kept making me procrastinate on taking it. My doctor prescribed me 500 mg of metronidazole twice daily for seven days. I finally got the nerve to take it. The first day I had a TINY bit of nausea and after that no side effects at all! By day three my symptoms were gone! So I'm now on day four and everything is still good with no side effects."

Kenzie_Kenz1996 (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Had to take this for a week straight 2x day, makes your body super tired, diarrhea, loss of appetite... slightly irritable, dry mouth, upset stomach ( cramps ) also back and thigh pain. All in all it seems to be working on my lady parts. Good Luck to anyone else!!"

Miamia242424 September 11, 2017