User Reviews for Metronidazole systemic

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Bacteremia

Clostridial Infection

Dientamoeba fragilis

Summary of Metronidazole reviews 6.6 1,546 reviews

Reviews for Metronidazole

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Giardiasis: "After 2 weeks of severe diarrhea just surviving on electrolyte drinks doctors were suggesting surgery. Flagyl was suggested by an experienced traveller a total of two 400mg tablets taken 4 hours apart completely cleared it up. That was 25 years ago. Since found it useful for acid reflux. It is a strong drug so still use after other options have been excluded."

Steve (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2018

Metro IV (metronidazole) for Bacterial Vaginitis: "I keep getting reoccurring BV infections. I was prescribed the gel once about a year ago and to the best of my memory I don’t remember having major side effects. A couple months ago I got BV again. I decided to try the Metronidazole pill (2x/day for 7 days). The pill was very big and hard to swallow. I felt sick while taking it and began throwing up a couple days into it so I stopped taking it. Fast forward to present time: I have BV again (probably from stopping the pill) I am using the gel again. I’m only on day 2, so far no major side effects. Last night I woke up with terrible cramps but I took 2 Advil and they went away. Before I put it in tonight I took 2 Advil again as a precaution. So far so good! I like the gel better."

Em (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2018

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "The medication works it’s the side effects that really mess with you. I had loss of appetite, I could barely eat, hot flashes, anxiety and headaches and it’s hard to sleep at night and heart palpitations and loose stools. Don’t drink it with water because it tastes nasty. Drink it with juice or anything else that has some type of flavor. What I also did was take an ibuprofen right after you take it and it really helped!"

Cpa03 (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2018

For Diverticulitis: "Hate this drug! SEVERE Headache!! Tylenol won’t touch this headache!! Feel horrible but diverticulitis pains subsiding. Have chills like I’m sick with flu. Going to call doc tomorrow and get something else. "

Carrie (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2018

For Diverticulitis: "I haven taken the combo of Flagyl and Cipro together for my diverticulitis a few times. Both times have worked really well. My pain subsides within a few days. I don’t really have bad side effects with these drugs. I always make sure to take on a full stomach with 1 or 2 bottles of water. Important to keep flushing your system with liquids. I take the Cipro first and about an hour later, I take the Flagyl. I have a mild case of diarrhea but nothing bad. It leaves a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth but not concerning. That’s about it. Remember that everyone’s body type is different. Some people have bad reactions but others do not."

Annie (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2018

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "Flagyl used to make me sick but the last two times I’ve had to take it (H Pylori then BV) I learned to split the pill in two and take one piece with a tums and the 30 min later take the other piece with another tums. Only one dose made me a tad nauseated but that’s because I didn’t take the tums with it. I was able to hold it down. I also put the pill as far back on my tongue as possible!!! This is big! So split the pill, put it way back on your tongue then chug your water. Follow it with a tums or two. Wait 30 min or so and take the other half the same way. Good luck. Also, it has always cleared my infections I read the research done on the medicine and it says 5 days shows almost no change from going 7 days so I just did 5 days this time since I got a got a year infection from the antibiotic. Which some of you know is common when taking antibiotics. Was taking 500 mg 2x a day"

Kitty (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2018

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "Help for nasty taste when taking pill. I take the pill coated with coconut oil. It goes down easy and don’t taste the pill. Hope that helps someone."

Layla (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 26, 2018

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: "I'm all to familiar with the Flagyl/Cipro combination......I've dealt with diverticulitis many times/years. I have tried several ways to get through the unpleasant task of ingesting these medications. I found that alternating one pill every 6 hours instead of taking two pills every 12 hours really helped. Also, taking milk with the Flagyl and making sure you eat 2 hours before and after to taking Cipro really makes a difference. Keep hydrated also. I do get the metallic taste and find that drinking water just makes it worse. I'm a huge water lover but not when taking these meds. I drink water that is cut with juice. I hope this helps."

Kelly (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2018

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I absolutely HATE THIS medicine but it works so good. I personally take one 500mg pill a day bc the the thought of me putting that oil in my mouth was dreadful. I hate the taste of the medicine and it dissolves so fast that as soon that you lay it in your younger it's melting and it leaves that awful taste in your mouth all day. I have been taking them for about a week and they have been doing the job just fine but if you have the choice of going with the gel that you insert do that as the pill is awful."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2018

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "Flagyl may work for others but after finishing all the meds and thinking its gonna work it didn't work at all. I've had BV for 15 years and thought I was saving my baby by taking it. Still looking for a solution after having a healthy child 5 yrs ago today."

Honey (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 11, 2018

For Clostridial Infection: "This is the absolute WORST antibiotic I have ever taken in my life. I have been to the ER 3 times with horrible stomach spasms, nausea and foggy brain and no doctor could figure out what was wrong. The latest visit was today. I have finally decided to do my own research and ended up here. *The metalic taste lasts all day long and is disguisting. *After about an hour of taking it, it's like a wave hits me and I become dizzy, disoriented and foggy. *I have been so tired barely able to keep focused at work *no appetite and no thirst *dark urine *vomiting I have lost 8 lbs on this medication and I am cutting it short today. I wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy"

Me (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2018

For Diverticulitis: "I just turned 47. I was on Cipro and Metro in Oct and it was hell! Tough on the full systems and thought about stopping them many times. The infection still seems to be lingering and I and just finishing day 3 of 10 again and it has been very very rough! It is like poison on the system and super rough! Actually told my wife, I should no take them because I did feel good and the 1st experience (trauma) is fresh in the mind. I have had high blood pressure 170/105 and on medication to help but this nasty stuff does not help on top of this stuff! I do feel better reading some other reviews. Yes, anxiety increased, headaches like nothing ever experienced and a long time to recover. Best of luck to all suffering through this. Remember, 10 days is better than surgery and a colostomy bag. God bless you all, prayers are with you!"

Jargo (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "Don’t take this medicine! Terrible terrible experience! I had a temperature, shaking , cold , back pain , felt terrible, terrible headache, neck pain I couldn’t stand up . I was thinking that I have a flu . Never ever again, they should never prescribe this medicine to anyone!!"

Laura (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "I feeel horrible on this antibiotic I don’t know why we need to go through this it gives me, the shakes, nausea, heart palpitations, like really bad. I feel sick sick, have a headache, feel like I'm out of it and on dope. I also take antidepressants (lexamil) It like the 2 medicines are fighting inside me I have anxiety, dry mouth, confusion, tummy cramps. I been to the toilet so frequently I have muscle pain Feel like my immune system is gone. I can't breathe, my throat is swollen wow I hate this drug!!!"

Bytjie (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2018

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "(7-day antibiotics in pill form) This medication didn't work at all only made me feel like garbage. The inflammation went down but that's about it. Still abnormal and smelly discharge and now headed in again for round two for whatever else might help...I'm so sad and frustrated."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "Started taking this for BV. I admit I didn't read it right and heard the pharmacist say 1 pill twice daily. Eventually realized it's two pills twice a day. Started that and now I'm too sick to do anything. I need to work so I'm back to the doctor for something else. If I could stay home I would just finish taking it but life goes on. I'll see what my doc can give me. Symptoms: Crazy vivid scary dreams. Like unreal vivid real life. So weird. Nauseous. Out of it (feel like I'm not walking instead I'm floating around work today. It's trippy.) Fatigue followed by bouts of extreme energy like I could climb a mountain on repeat. Headache. This feels like mild serotonin syndrome to me. If you can stay home and take this then i'd say do it but otherwise what can we all do? Hmm...."

cherbear (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2018

For Dental Abscess: "I was prescribed Metronidazole for my infected wisdom tooth, it's 3 tablets a day for a course of 5 day. I started to take it on my second day, I felt so weak and felt I just wanted to lay down, didn't affect my appetite I was taking it with food. On my 3rd day, my wisdom tooth pain has gone, but in the evening I started to feel really dizzy, can't concentrate on conversation l sometimes could not recall what I just said, banging headache, diarrhoea, tight chest, nausea. Although I felt a little better in that morning, so I drove to my mother in laws who lives 5 mins drive away, I started to feel dizzy I nearly crashed into a parked car, I could not judge the width of road. I managed to get back home. I called 111 for advice that evening, I was told to stop taking this medicine immediately and keep hydrated to clear it out of the system. On 4th day, I'm feeling still weak and dizzy and headache. I'm allergic to penicillin."

Iko November 5, 2018

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "This medication WORKS. But it comes with a price. I am prone to BV (especially since I’ve been trying to conceive) and I’m given this medication every time I get the infection. My infection always goes away, but while I’m on it I feel like I’m hungover for the entire length of treatment. I have a headache just about everyday, I’m nauseous, and I just feel sick. although, if you can deal with the side effects, this is the best medication to take."

Cindy (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "40yr old female 500mg pills twice a day for 7 days Attempted to fight my first BV infection naturally for several months before giving in to taking meds. Mostly because I like a cocktail or two a couple days out of the week. Today is day four, and I haven't had anywhere NEAR the experience that many others have. The pill DOES taste horrible (with a slight aftertaste) and has caused my urine to be a bit darker. Have had slight headaches, but they have gone away with 2 ibuprofen. I'm also prone to headaches ALL THE TIME, so who knows if these are because of the medicine. I did notice the BV appeared to clear up INSTANTLY!!!! I literally smelled better after the first pill. I have decided to stop taking the meds after day 4 because I don't want to get a yeast infection. I can already feel the natural bacteria in my body shifting and don't want to take things too far in the other direction."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 2, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "Yes I have taken this medication before. It worked. But made me sick, nauseous, no appetite. Drank lots of fluids. Blah. Now that I’m older I was prescribed again. I don’t think I can make day three. It’s nasty medicine."

Sandy (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2018

For Diverticulitis: "The pain of diverticulitis was like labor contractions with a whale trying to push its way out through the left side of my abdomen, the morphine in my IV worked after the CT scan dye, but the antibiotic combo is like the saga continues; nausea, gurgling in stomach, loss of appetite and what you do intake shoots out with a vengeance, I have all day mush movements I'm pooping out last years Thanksgiving dinner. Now, my hemorrhoids itch and burn so much "

mouse (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2018

For Clostridial Infection: "I took one pill/dose of this combination and it the worst. It is a garbage drug. I stopped taking it after one dose and after a night of cold sweats, 6 blankets on the bed, multiple runs to the bathroom. I am STILL awake since.. Tuesday evening since I went to the ER. This is a crap combo of a drug and don’t take it. My primary even refused to change my order until I told the ER nurse my story."

Jane November 1, 2018

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I took this medicine a year ago twice a day for 7 days and it worked great. 500mg. By day four I had no smell and no discharge. I ate a meal before I took them and drank a glass of water every time. I took them 10 to 12 hours apart. Now I have BV for the second time and I'm nervous to take them because I hear that the second time can be completely different. I'll let y'all know how it goes."

Kenzie (taken for less than 1 month) October 30, 2018

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I've had BV back to back for months now. The oral form of metronidazole does not work at all for me. It seems to just make it worst (more discharge, more discomfort). It also causes additional symptoms such as dark urine and nausea. The gel however works amazingly."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "In the past I've endured chemotherapy and radiation so thought I was pretty tough, however this medication has worse side effects with each passing day. I'm on day 6 of 7 and just can't take any more. I was prescribed it for what seemed to be a UTI but now I have bad headaches, dark urine, stomach cramps and loose stools, dizziness, very sore vaginal area inside and out, grotty taste in mouth, sweating, palpitations and constant nausea. Day 7 can go straight down the toilet as far as I'm concerned..!"

Lou (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...