User Reviews for Metronidazole (Page 4)

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Crohn's Disease, Maintenance 4 reviews 28 medications

Skin or Soft Tissue Infection 6 reviews 162 medications

4.9
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 1166 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Metronidazole

For Diverticulitis: "Ongoing bouts of diverticulitis. I tried to go without taking the flagyl and cipro but always end up back on it to heal . If you have diverticulitis and a fever you should be seen at the emergency room . Never get a colonoscopy if you feel infected. I was told you have to wait 8 weeks after diverticulitis to be safe having the procedure."

Zambony101 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diverticulitis: "I began taking Flagyl on Saturday night to treat diverticulitis. I could not sleep at all that night or the following three nights. I lay in bed wide awake, with my leg muscles randomly fasciculating. I had a headache and neck ache from not being able to sleep. Occasionally, my entire body would suddenly jerk while I was lying in bed. I could not concentrate at work, and even though I am a Pharmacist, I kept forgetting the names of medications that I had been taking and the names of the medical conditions with which I had been diagnosed. I had been taking ibuprofen for a few days the prior week, and I had stopped taking ibuprofen due to heartburn. Even though I was on Protonix to treat my heartburn, Flagyl significantly worsened my pre-existing heartburn to the point where I had to stand erect throughout the day and night, moaning with pain. My epigastric pain would begin about an hour after taking Flagyl and be at its worst four hours later. I also felt as if I constantly had to urinate, but only a small amount of urine would come out each time. My mouth was extremely dry with a metallic taste and a furry looking tongue. I ended up in the ER the following Wednesday writhing in epigastric pain which was a “10” on the 1-10 pain scale. I literally thought that I was going to die, and I spoke with loved ones by phone to say my good-byes. My blood pressure was moderately elevated and my ECG, which had always been normal, was now “borderline with atrial enlargement”. My ER doc switched me to Augmentin, and my Flagyl-related adverse reactions rapidly subsided. Flagyl significantly helped my diverticulitis, but at a horrible cost in terms of lost sleep, lost work, poor work, personal and family anxieties, and time spent at the ER. If your doctor prescribes Flagyl, my advice is to ask him/her if there is an alternative antibiotic, especially if you have any pre-existing gastroesophageal problems. All of my adverse events appear in the Flagyl labeling: epigastric distress, abdominal cramping, incoordination, confusion, insomnia, a sharp, unpleasant metallic taste, dryness of the mouth, furry tongue, glossitis, stomatitis, flattening of the T-wave in electrocardiographic tracings, polyuria, a sense of pelvic pressure, convulsive seizures. "

SaddleRiverKid (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trichomoniasis: "I'm on day 6 of this medicine only issue I'm having is nausea I have no other issue with it I notice some symptoms I had are gone the smell and discharge isn't as bad anymore so hoping when iIgo back to my obgyn for retest that everything comes back clean"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Foul smell immediately gone on my First tablet. But you have to finish the 7day medication"

Hazel K July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "DO NOT take this if you can avoid it! I've taken a lot of antibiotics in my life, and NEVER have I ever had such terrible side effects. Fatigue, thrush, nausea/vomiting, dark urine, migraine and oh my god the vertigo, it's just the worst! I got prescribed this (500mg) 2x a day for 7 days and I stopped at day 6. First day without a dose and I still feel pretty lethargic but over all I feel somewhat okay. I never had any symptoms from BV (didn't know I had it) other than I guess discharge and that has stopped for now. Still a little nauseated, but nothing like I felt last night. I have had zero sleep because I was up all night vomiting! If you can finish the full prescription and come out unscathed my hats off to you! This antibiotic SUCKS!!!"

RagerK July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "horrible side effects for me! Everyone's body's are different but mine did not like metronidazole. I have had reoccurring bacterial vaginitis for a while. This time, I was prescribed Metronidazole 500 mg every 8 hrs for 7 days and I just stopped at day 3...the side effects were HORRIBLE! My first dose was fine but after my second, I got a severe headache with sharp pains that lasted all day and night...worst head pain ever. I had severe fatigue and could barely get out of bed.. I also had palpitations, stuffy nose, and anxiety. I skipped my dose this morning and although I still feel slightly lethargic, I feel a ton better. I would definitely recommend taking a different medication. My doctor just prescribed me a new antibiotic."

Rosee M. July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Doesnt work"

Kimooo334 July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diverticulitis: "Just diagnosed with acute diverticulitis. I am on day 3 with of flagyl and bactrim and I feel horrible. Break out in sweats where I am actually dripping and still have fever of 102. Anyone else have this experience and is it normal. Thanks"

Kate20174 July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "500 mg , two times a day for 7 days. Medicine worked very well but made me very tired, a little headache and didn't have much interest in doing my usual hobbies. I was my usual self after the 7 days but overall happy with the medicine."

Mandy Lynn July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Yes I'd like to point out it appears to be helping my mouth situation but it's def not helping the rest of my body. Since taking this medication prescribed by my dentist due to having a infection in my mouth I have suffered the following: Feeling sick diarrhoea Headache Metallic taste in my mouth. palpitations Ache all over Feel symptoms of the flu Confusion Lack of concentration Very anxious Thirsty I generally feel like poo. I can't wait to finish this course. I feel like death."

Reo1978 July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Screw this drug. The symptoms are so bad I can't even function. My whole entire body is in aches and is tense. I have a fever and a severe headache. I am so tired. I have a sore in my mouth now. Like how is this the cure. I looked up natural remedies and doing that. Big pharma is a scam they want us sick. I'm done taking it I'm day 3 my intuition told to stop. The next day I woke up after not taking it my severe lower back pain was gone but I'm still suffering the side effects. I just want this out of my system never again. Of course it free and no copay..."

Heather z July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diverticulitis: "I hate this drug. Hate it, hate it, hate it. I have to take it 4 times a day for 14 days. My doctor is sadistic. I'm so nauseous I can barely breath. Even on anti-nausea meds! I have no energy. I can't sleep. My head hurts. This feels 10x worse than the flu. But it works. It will help heal the diverticulitis. It always does. And every time it sucks."

Owwww (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: "I had side effects from these drugs but found when I did not take them at the same time it wasn't as bad. In States where it's legal, THC help with the diverticulitis as well as the side effects of flagyl and cipro."

Jacche July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: "Leaves the worst metalic taste in your mouth, my heart has been racing 100+ off and on since I have been on this. Started 7 days ago and still have 3 to go."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Works well!! Second time taking it and I'm getting all but 4 side effects. Nausea is brutal. Light headed/dizzy. Abdominal cramps. IBS flare! Moody. Headache, calf pain..... etc....etc. Stopped today after calling the pharmacist. Side effects are just too severe. No problem the first time I used it. And nooooo booze when taking this! You'll get violently ill. Seriously."

Flattoes (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "My doctor prescribed me a 7 day dose because she thought I had bv because my cervix was inflamed but it was due to rough (you know what) and I took that dam pill and it had me feeling like trash"

amber223 June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trichomoniasis: "About 2 weeks ago I had sex with my friend. 3 days ago my vagina started itching so I thought it was a yeast infection so I went to the doctor & found out I had trich. They prescribed me 4 pills to take at once & then I went to sleep. When I woke up I didn't have no more discharge & the itching went away. The medicine is really nasty. I found to take it with milk was better. Over 12 hours later I started getting nauseous. I almost got sick but haven't."

Kitkat12292 June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "So, I was put on Metronidazole by my gastroenterologist because of "gut issues". 250mg 3x/ day for 10 days. The first two-ish days I had diarrhea, dry mouth, and the "metallic" taste many people mention. My gut symptoms seemed to worsen but after a few days, this medication seemed to get everything under control. All bad side effects subsided and I felt totally fine. I absolutely did NOT drink alcohol while taking this (and my doctor did make it very clear not to). When you read the potentially terrible (and dangerous) side effects from mixing this medication and booze, it's just not worth it. The worst thing about this medication is the taste - terribly bitter so swallow quickly! All in all, don't fear this medication too much."

Baygirl830 June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Omg, I loathe taking these pills it's all I can think about all day and I'm only on day 3, of a 7 day treatment for BV. I feel awful severe headache, fatigue that has kept me in the bed all 3 days, nausea, loss of my appetite, dizziness, bloated, gassy, muscle aches like I have the flu, is there nothing with less side effects to take for this??. I barely had any BV symptoms to start with I feel like a dysfunctional zombie. There's no way I'm gonna make it through 4 more days I can't function like this. Everyone's body is different my body doesn't react well to this"

Missfree33 (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I'm even struggling to write this because of how unwell I am after taking this two days ago now, since taking these tablets with food BV has gone but I feel like I'm gonna throw up 24hours a day sleeping all the time. I have taken these tablets before but never have the side affects been this bad. I would rather have the BV back rather than go through this sighhh."

Alaba48 June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I'm one of the unlucky women who get BV if I don't take 100% precautionary care of myself. I've taken this medication more than once before and got through the entire round with no issue - It DOES clear up BV if you do the full round and DO NOT DRINK. However, this round has been so brutal. It's always tasted bad but I can handle that by taking it with flavored drinks. I'm going into day 4 of my prescription and I woke up convinced I had food poisoning. So nauseous and uncomfortable. Definitely feel like I'm running a fever and have tightness in my body. My recommendation is take it when you're the MOST full, don't wait even 30 min after eating. Does it's job but these side effects are brutal and inconvenient."

Molly400000 June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "This medicine does it's job, my symptoms from the infection cleared within the first 3 days out of 7, taking 2 pills a day. It worked and cleared the infection so I'll give it 10 stars, but the side effects are for sure mentionable. I felt fine other than a metallic taste in my mouth for the first 2 days, then the extreme nausea rolled in. Imagine the feeling you have seconds before you puke, 24/7 for days on end. I also had headaches and slight stomach pain. I took probiotics while on the medication and they didn't do anything. I still recommend this antibiotic because it does its job, just be prepared for the side effects."

Jj1029 June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "After reading all of these horrific reviews, I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty hesitant on taking these pills for the week. My gyno prescribed me 500 mg to take a twice a day for 7 days. I'm on my 4th day with no crazy side effects. I already see a lot less discharge and the odor has minimized greatly. The only negative thing I can say is the metal taste you experience when taking the pill. It's pretty bad but if you have juice and a food to bite into right after taking it, you'll survive! :)"

DeeBee0619 June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Coming from someone who took this regularly as prescribed, the medicine did its job. No severe problems however, I admit to being extremely fatigued and stomach cramps come here and there."

Spockjs June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Right there with everyone else, BV infection. Flagyl 500 twice daily. So happy done with this medicine. I took it for 7 days. I hate this drug!! Headache,metal taste, cramping and dark urine. I starting feeling better symptom wise on day 5. By day 7 I felt good except for all the side effects. I'm two days off and the burning, itching are back. I'm calling my obgyn today. I'm so afraid she's going to want to put me back on it!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017