User Reviews for Metronidazole (Page 4)

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Metronidazole.

Crohn's Disease, Maintenance

STD Prophylaxis

1 review 25 medications
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 6.8 1,207 reviews

Reviews for Metronidazole

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "I'm using it for a five day period for a bacteria infection, twice a day. I think its working. It's my fourth day and it was the only day I felt slight irritation. I'm not sure if that means it has stopped working or what but I hope that after my last day that I finally get a full ease. My only side effect is headache and dizziness as well as nausea which isn't so bad. As for the taste, I don't keep it on my tongue long enough to get a good taste so I can't testify for that."

Tried It August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Giardiasis: "Was prescribed 500mg three times a day for 7 days for parasite. On the 7th day I started feeling better and my stools were returning to normal. For 3 days after the end of treatment I felt soooo good, I thought I was cured... only to be sick again on day 4 after treatment. Maybe I need a longer treatment or another antibiotic. However I saw a difference after taking it. In my case the side effect were awful tast in the mouth and dark urine, but nothing is comparable to the symptoms of this evil parasite that I am dealing with since 2 years thinking I had IBS ..."

Mtlguy (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I've had BV off and on for the last 2 years or so . I've found short term effects in OTC treatments such as "VH Essentials" but nothing lasts. Back in May I went to the Dr and was prescribed the gel form . once a day for five days . after one use the smell was gone, unfortunately it only lasted a couple months . I left the doc yesterday with the pill form. Twice a day for 7 days (500 mg total) I am on day two and must say the side effects are pretty bad . I've been nauseated since yesterday with an undesirable headache . The smell seems to be gone , however I'm unsure how these next five days will go . "

Shhhushhhhhhhh August 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I've just finished a course of 3 per day and seems to have worked. It reduced smell and discharge within a day so very effective. I took all tablets with food but struggled to make it to 3 tablets a day as this has terrible side effects. Nausea, cramping, dizziness, loss of interest in food, feeling emotional and dark urine. I was so worried about the dark urine and apparently this is rare but reading other comments I think anything but rare!"

Over the side effects (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Day 6 of metronidazole for BV today. Only side effect has been dark/smelly urine. After my very first dose I noticed an improvement in my symptoms. However I am not yet symptom free, with only one day of treatment left, which is concerning to me. Also I have to say it's an awful tasting pill. I can barely swallow it with food, I can't imagine taking it with just water. All in all it's been a relatively uneventful treatment process, and I think I could handle a second course. But the fact that I seem to need one is a bit of a disappointment."

Not dying (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "#YUUUKKKK,flagy, awful awful taste....they need to make those pills with flavors."

Nothsnks (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Day 3 of taking this drug. First day my discharge was heavy & made my underwear soaked. I'm definitely more tired this week than usual. Day 3 the smell is gone & the discharge has cleared up. Found red itchy bumps on right wrist. The "metal taste" is there but it goes away quickly when you drink water right after. I take this medicine in the evening at the same time every day so it works. Nothing to complain about."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I had to take 2 g the 1st day and 2 g the second day. Just took the second dose of pills and I feel funny. My head is feeling weird and I feel sleepy. Had dark urine and a bad taste in my mouth - my tongue looks unhealthy too. But damn my vagina is feeling the bomb again. Smell went away right away. Btw I get BV when I am together with a person I don't wanna be with. Just a hint to some baby girls out there. Do you really like him? Cause sometimes the body answers the question for you. Deep. I know."

everynameistaken August 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diverticulitis: "I've had diverticulitis for 2 years but my recent honeymoon to Japan brought it out bad. For 8 days I suffered until I came home. The Dr put me on this and bactim ds. I feel like trash daily and it's day 3 now, I'm not sure how much longer I can deal with the all day headaches, the emotional rollercoaster I'm on or the stiff neck. I also get dizzy and lightheaded a lot. And yet I still have the pain in my lower left side. Tomorrow I'm begging for augmentin I can't ride this out. It's too much stress"

Tkat5200 August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I was prescribed this medication twice daily for 7 days to treat BV. Like many others I experienced the metallic mouth, but this was the least of my worries. The abdominal pain, bloating, constant nausea, loss of appetite and acid build up in my gut became unbearable. Initially I contributed the tiredness and nausea to my early pregnancy but at times the pain was more like labor. Finally contacted my OB who advised probiotics to get my gut back in balance since the meds had mist likely killed off the good bacteria. It's taken me the better part of 2 weeks to feel like myself again. I'd rather live with BV and never take these meds again."

Suzie124 August 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diverticulitis: "Got prescribed Levofloxacin 750 MG once daily for 5 days and Metronidazole 500MG three times daily for 10 days for a bad diverticulitis flare up. First night on the metronidazole (Flagyl) was absolutely brutal. Pain went from 6/10 to a 10/10 about 3 hours from ingestion. Although this antibiotic is pretty aggressive, stick with it. Every pill gets easier to take than the one before. Try to take it with something on your stomach. I ate some soft white bread and yogurt and a glass of water. Rough first couple days, but I'm on day 5 of the meds and feeling almost back to normal."

30 year old dude (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diverticulitis: "I'm on my 6 or 7 th attack of what the surgeon says is complicated/ uncomplicated diverticulitis in 4 months!! Back on the cipro & flagyl again for 14 days and I literally feel like I'm dying. I see the surgeon again on Friday. I am so scared to have the surgery. I keep hoping this is the last attack but it seems like every 2 weeks off for the antibiotics another attack. I can't keep living like this....."

gpratt August 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "So I see a lot of people complaining of nausea. This medicine will make you ill if you don't eat with it. That's why it states on the bottle take with food. This medication has its ups and downs but it has been effective for me in the past. Though some times it causes me a yeast infection (probiotics helps with that). The metallic taste is probably the worst part for me. This round though I'm on day two, pill 3 and I feel like I woke up and the smell had gotten stronger. Anyone else ever experience that? That and cramps are the only symptoms I have, I just want the smell gone! I'm wondering if it will get worse for a second before it gets better."

Brittaneelala August 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Omg I have never felt so ill, metronidazole is horrible. My doctor gave me five 400mg tablets & told me to take them all together as one dose. I was violently sick Headache worse than migraine Cramp Diarrhea. I would never take them again."

GLize73 August 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Doctors need to discuss side effects of this medication IN DETAIL before letting someone go home with it. I was prescribed 7 day treatment, twice daily 500 mg tablets. Day 1-5.. Definitely felt very tired and almost high like I was on drugs. Somehow I continued to work everyday. Increase in urination as well as the metal taste. Day 6-7 were the worst. I got the worst case of hives all over my entire body. Raised little red bumps. I wasn't too nauseous throughout the entire process because I made sure to eat bread or crackers before and after taking each pill. Also, my hair started falling out more than normal. The withdrawals were horrific. Felt like I had the flu, and couldn't get out of bed for a day. It's day 9 and things are better."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Holy hell I'm feeling weird. I give this medication a high review because it honestly does work but the sides effects are wild!!!!! I'm on the 6th day of 7 and just took a pregnancy test because I'm so nauseous but could be my own fault because I have only had one meal today and took both pills already so probably not the smartest, have Chinese food on the way though. Also, this is my third time getting BV... so over having a vagina. So yeah, moral of the story.... DON'T TAKE ON AN EMPTY STOMACH!!!!!!"

Vaginas suck August 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "The medicine worked great. Very little cramping, but I'm extremely tired. My appetite has also picked up tremendously!"

None ya August 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "So tired. I'm on day 6 of this medication. I was prescribed 2 tablets a day for 7 days for BV due to excessive spray tanning. I am miserable. I feel high and just drugged up. The first couple of days weren't bad, but I've been tired, the entire time. I work 40 hours a week and have made it though to the weekend which is now and I have one pill left to take. As long as you eat enough before you take it, you shouldn't feel nauseous. As of today, I am noticing red itchy bumps on my arms and legs, which I read could be a side effect. Also, I notice more hair loss than normal. I'm hoping that's a side effect and it stops in a few days. I'm praying that this takes care of the bv because I can't go a other round on this."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Again I've been diagnosed with BV but I'm not surprised. Guess my new partner's chemistry didn't agree with my vagina. Anyways I knew off the bat it was BV. Noticed the systems but was a little tricky. This time there was itching thought it was both yeast and BV. Nurse practitioner confirmed it was only BV. So I'm on a 2x for 7 days cycle with metronidazole. First 24hrs the bad scent minimized and slightly tired. But as usual the systems start to worsen. Headaches, aches and pains, moody, confused and emotional not to mention that nasty yeast creeping in. So not looking forward to that on my 4 - 5th day. With that I use the 3 day pack of monistat or canesten either one works for me. The other symptom would be my worst the emotional impact."

Buzzyere August 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diverticulitis: "Metronidazole is horrible but really works I could not tolerate 400 mg so I take 200 it works the same less side effects."

Given up on my gut (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I had a very severe reaction to the drug. It started after two doses (1 day). My skin erupted in small blisters. That night the whole of my skin erupted with not only the blisters but also very large welts and extreme reddening of the skin all over my body all of which itched more than I have ever experienced before. In the middle of the night I took a bath to try to alleviate the itching. It didn't. I then took an anti histamine which controlled the itching but only now after a week have the blisters finally started to disappear, even though I only took two doses of the drug. It was an extremely unpleasant and frightening experience."

maryt70 August 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Was given this med for BV. After reading all the horror comments about the side effects I waited a few days and tried to make it to the weekend so I wouldn't be sick at work. I changed my mind and started my medication during the work week anyway. To my surprise and joy no side effects except for discolored urine (darker). The taste isn't the greatest but its tolerable. I make sure to swallow it with food to avoid the after taste. Prescribed 250 mg 3 times a day. I noticed the negative comments have 1 thing in common the most.....the dosage of 500 mg 2 times a day. Maybe the dosage should be lowered by physicians when prescribing. Just a thought."

KDNoswaD (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Prescribed for tooth infection. Had previously and had bad diarrhoea previously. However this time I'm on day 3 and really struggling. No diarrhoea this time but feeling very nauseous all day, headaches, bad taste in mouth, extreme fatigue and feeling really terrible."

DDYT August 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I wish I had read these sooner. I had a similar situation as another poster here where my doctor diagnosed me without even checking to see whether I had BV or not, but he believed it was some sort of infection. I am on day 3 of 7 for this medication and while the symptoms started out mildly, though I had a loss of appetite from day 1, the symptoms quickly increased and now I'm experiencing flu-like symptoms where my body aches, I am constantly fatigued and even on waking up, I am still exhausted. My head hurts, I feel nauseous and my muscles are sore. I'm only continuing on with this medication because I'm told that if I stop taking it early then things will be worse."

Jealousy (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "Literally I feel like the this is the worst medication I've ever been on. Surgeon put me on this for an oral abscess.... been dying for like 5 days and two more to go. Can't sleep but I'm so tired eat, look at light, worst headache ever. Stomach hurts but this headache makes me forget about that. All in all, I feel horrible."

Hannahh13 August 7, 2017