User Reviews for Metronidazole (Page 4)

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Metronidazole.

Crohn's Disease, Maintenance

Amebiasis
4.5

Summary of Metronidazole reviews 6.7 1,296 reviews

Reviews for Metronidazole

For Clostridial Infection: "My dentist prescribed me with clindamycin - (avoid CLINDAMYCIN) nobody told me to take probiotics with it. It gave me a closotridial infection. Any how, I just finished metronidazole 500mg 3x a day for 10 days and still notice black particles in my stool. The diarrhea and abdominal pain has stopped which is awesome. I just feel really stressed and annoyed and I am just worried when it will completely go away so I don't infect my family."

Anonymous5389 December 1, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Like everyone else, I have headaches that come and go, cramping, bloating, night sweats, disoriented and I feel a slight case of heartburn when I first swallow. The worst part, so far, is the dry mouth. The sides of my mouth feel like cardboard and all that I want to do is drink water but it’s making me urinate a lot more. There is one side effect that I’ve had that I haven’t seen anyone else mention yet. I have been on my period since I’ve started the pills, and this has been the strangest period that I’ve ever had. This period is heavier and is a brighter red than normal. Two hours after my initial first pill, I started gushing blood. I can’t wait until I’m done with this."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2017

For Trichomoniasis: "So I was prescribed this medication for trich as some of you are familiar with from reading previously, well I got great results from the medication however I did get vaginal irritated itch with the discharge and it is a side affect, honestly, having unprotected sex isn't a smart thing to do, but thankfully Trich is curable and the itch is also. Keep in mind ladies no matter how clean good looking he might look, smell good he is probably not going to even know he is giving you more than a good five minutes of pleasure, it's 5 days of treatment that we carry now!!! Be smart !! good luck."

So done with good looks!! November 28, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Turns out I had bacterial vaginitis for a year or so and it was awful. I mean sex was painful, weird smelling discharge, everything was completely out of wack. I finally decided to go to a gynecologist, I told her all of my symptoms and she prescribed me Flagyl 2 a day for an entire week and only BAD side effects I personally experienced were mood swings, diarrhea (every single time) and the horrible chalky taste it left behind.. other than that, cured my BV. Tried every possible cure (natural) and I guess some things just don't work for everyone ... but flagyl worked wonders on me. I recommend .. (consult with your PCP)"

SMHithappens November 26, 2017

For Diverticulitis: "Went to the hospital with severe stomach pain. CT Scan diagnosed Diverticulitis. And and infection in my Intestine. I did a dumb thing I ate a very small amount of Carmel cheese popcorn to satisfy a craving. Now I am paying for it. The flare up is the result of taking pain medicine and the popcorn Which caused blockage. I've been in pain since Monday ER sent me home with med Have to see my GI surgeon on the 4th of December. The popcorn is on top of the fridge. I did not think just eating a Small amount this would happened. Haven't eaten popcorn in years. Now I am paying the price for being stupid. If you have this issue then listen to your Doctor's instructions."

Bee65 (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2017

For Bacterial Infection: "After taking this I felt queazy and lack of energy."

ChrissyG76 November 24, 2017

For Dental Abscess: "Positive experience - I was prescribed a 5 day course of metronidazole 400mg 3 x daily for a tooth abscess. I wanted to review after terrifying myself from reading all the negative reviews. Fortunately this medication worked almost perfectly for me. On the first 2 doses I didn't eat properly with it and did experience some nausea, but from day 2 I made sure I ate a full meal with it and took the medication half way through eating with a large glass of water. No further side effects for me. Cleared up my tooth abscess and I felt fine on it. I didn't drink alcohol at all in the days leading up to taking it and for about a week after. My dentist warned me that drinking alcohol with it would cause a severe reaction so definitely avoid that."

KarenMalcolm (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2017

For Intraabdominal Infection: "I took this for 12 days after developing an abdominal infection after emergency bowel surgery. It was IV while in the hospital for 5 days and then orally 400mg 3 times a day. I don't know if it was responsible for the way I felt whilst in it (was also on co-amoxyclav) but I felt horrendous. I had the most awful dizzy, light-hearted headed, spaced out sensations for the entire time. I had a couple of times where I felt so bad I thought I was about to die. I have never experienced anything like that before but I thought I was having a major stroke. The sensation in my head and body was how I imagine a stroke would feel. I then, as a result, had my BP shoot up to 180/110 and pulse go above 100. Really terrifying! Got rid of infection though."

HippyG (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2017

For Bacterial Infection: "This medication along with clarithimycin and Prilosec is awful!! I’m on day 5 of FOURTEEN :( and I’m extremely nauseous, very bad abdominal pain, tired, and very weak. I can’t eat anything because I feel so nauseous. Seriously if you get prescribed this be prepared to feel like you’re dying. I want to stop taking it so bad but afraid what it would do if I stopped taking it this early. I’m taking it for an h. Pylori infection.."

coourtyann (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2017

For Bacterial Infection: "I am on day 3 of this pill. I’m taking the 2 times a day for 7 days. And let me tell you, it it horrible! I woke at 4:30 am to extremely painful stomach pains. It was worse than my contractions from labor. It was diarrhea. I was sitting on the toilet in so much pain thinking that I was about to die. I was ready to throw up EVERYWHERE, I was in so much pain. My whole body started sweating so I had to take my clothes off. It was the worst pain I’ve ever felt! After the stomach pains subsided I felt ice cold everywhere! I don’t know if that’s normal but I’m not exaggerating when I tell you that stuff was painful!!!! I will never take this drug again and along with that I’ve had nausea and very bad headaches. I feel like poop."

Mac123098 November 19, 2017

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Dental Abscess: "I was prescribed Flagyl three a day for 10 days due to a tonsil abscess. I’m on the 7th day and I will not be continuing. This medication feels like torture. I throw up or dry heave every time I take a pill. Nothing tastes normal, which makes me not want to eat nor drink. I am beyond weak and have lost so much weight in so little time. My doctors told me this was normal, when in fact it feels rather unhealthy. I would honestly rather have my initial infection then to experience the side effects of this medication ever again. It’s that bad."

peritonsilar abscess (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

For Dental Abscess: "Suffer with G.O.R.D. so the heartburn has been awful, only day 3, 250mg twice a day with food. Have been very dizzy, light headed & felt like holding onto things to steady myself. Yesterday after walking & been on feet all day, got tingling/ pinching pain in one leg, went away after elevation & rest. Have had lower back & pelvis ache. A little nausea, but no real trouble eating, just the reflux making it seem worse. No trouble so far with bowel movements or urine discolouration. Infection clearing within the first two days, discomfort from abscess in glands gone after day one. Side effects much more tolerable than dental pain so far."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "This is the 2nd time I was diagnose with BV in a 3 year time span. I was prescribed two tablets a day for 7 days. I researched the antibiotic before taking it, most complaints were about the taste when it hits your mouth. I masked mine in a piece of bread and swallowed it no problem each time. No taste or after taste. Make sure you take on a FULL stomach. I was stressing/ nervous about the side effects as it seems like most experience the worse. I'm very sensitive to medication so to my surprise I didn't not get half the side effects as most. Tiredness, slight body soreness, soft stools. No vomiting or flu like symptoms. I have one more pill and ready to be back to normal. Symptoms improved after 2nd day. I'm happy it's gone and hope I don't get it again"

Dixxie November 16, 2017

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Dental Abscess: "For a few years I have had this horrid smell coming from under my crown. I have had dental care from my dentist but the smell would persist. My dentist said he didn't notice an abscess but I told him that fluid was leaking from under the crown as well. I tried amoxicillin for 14 days (two seperate runs) and it calmed the smell down some but once I stopped the med, the smell came back full force. I am about to finish flagyl and I don't notice the smell at all. This is great, taste like crap but it works."

Chronic tooth funk November 15, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "6 weeks after giving birth, my OBGYN informed me that I had BV. She prescribed metronidazole 500 mg to be taken 2/day for 7 days. I read all of the terrible reviews on this site and freaked out. I did not want to take this drug. I could not use anything topical due to not being fully healed from my delivery. I decided to try one pill and see what happened. Needless to say, I had absolutely NO side effects from this drug. I finished the course and my BV was cured. I made sure to take each pill after eating a full meal, and I even snacked a bit for a few minutes after. I also took very large doses of probiotics while being on this drug. I was pleasantly surprised and I try to avoid meds at all costs in general."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "This was the worst antibiotic I've ever taken. Took ONE, only freaking ONE dose and I was in the ER an hour later. 15 minutes after I took it I couldn't even see straight. Got to the ER and my blood pressure was sky high 158 over 96!!! My blood pressure has never been this high, not even when I was pregnant. Basically I felt like I was about to die from this antibiotic. And I believe the hospital staff thought something bad was going to happen because I got sent straight back and had sterioids, Benadryl etc given to me to reverse the effect immediately! It is STRONG! Even the nurse was cracking jokes with me about how strong it is. It may work for some people, but be careful especially if you're sensitive to medications!!!"

Madibee (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2017

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "DON'T VAPE!! I was prescribed this drug for BV after getting an abnormal pap and Colposcopy done. All doctors and pharmacists are quick to tell you that you should not drink with it. That is very true, after taking this drug for 5 days and feeling awful from it, I decided to go ahead and drink a few beers. So nauseous! HEED THE DOCTORS WARNING ON THIS!!!! Finally threw up and took a nap and felt much better. I DID NOT know that the PG (in my vape juice) is why I felt so bad for the whole first 5 days. It actually was a Vape site that made it clear to me. I understand that all info can be found in a leaflet that you get when you pick up the med, I just didn't put it together about PG and it being in almost all my e-juice."

tricky(not trichi)nikki (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2017

For Bacterial Infection: "Day 4 Of Flagyl 500mg 3x a day for C.Diff . Feeling awful , stomach feels completely empty but can’t eat . My Wedding is in 7 days and feeling horrible....This Is Awful ...."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2017

For Amebiasis: "Worst medication I have ever had. I started off vomiting once a day, then twice a day. My hands were tingly, and my feet. My scalp went tingly too. I felt so dizzy and thought I was going to pass out. This was just awful. At first I thought this might have been symptoms of amoeba, but it was from the antibiotic - metronodizole is a powerful drug. Unfornately I had all these symptoms on an island and had to return to mainland. The more competent doctor on mainland, stopped the flagyl and prescribed dioxanide furoate. Metronodizole is used to treat the parasite, however there are also eggs associated with the parasite, and they will hatch as well. metronodizol treats the parasite, diox treats the eggs. these will show in stool separately."

laurzyyyyy (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2017

For Bacterial Infection: "I have been feeling weird for a few days and did not know that It might be because of taking Metronidazole. It is good to know that I am not the only one feeling such symptoms. My body aches, hearth palpitation, numbness in my face and hands, extremely fatigue, loss of appetite. I was prescribed for 14 days and I still have five more days. Definitely feeling better in terms of my infection, but having these symptoms is overwhelming."

Meltah November 8, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "2x500mg a day for 7 days. Plus: Immediate clearing up of BV first day of taking. Must take with food! Downside: Came down with nausea, headaches, difficulty swallowing, mouth ulcers, difficulty sleeping, fogginess, and extreme fatigue. I'll opt for the localized gel next time. I used it once before, with great success (minus clumpy discharge which is no biggie) and none of these crazy flu-like symptoms!"

100%Effective/0% Pleasant (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2017

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I'm now 30 and have been battling recurrent bv for years now. My Dr. now has upped the dose of metronidazole to 250 mg 4 times daily for 10 days. The average dose never was able to to get rid of it for me. But this last time taking it I haven't gotten rid of it, so I'm prolonging it another 10 day round. Side effects do suck. I drank on it accidentally forgetting I needed to stay away from alcohol and got really sick. I also take the flagyl but I'm on it longer and its harder to tell if its gone away yet because of it's side effects. I just worry my body is getting used to the antiobiotic since I've used it so much. I've tried all the home remedies I found online too. Metronidizole is the only antibiotic I've tried that does work to get rid of it."

KL2727 November 4, 2017

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "This drug has not been a good experience for me (I'm on Day 10 of 14) and I really hope it destroys the H. pylori. I've had gastritis off and on for years until an attack so painful I had to go to the ER. The taste is almost unbearable. It makes me want to eat just to temporarily get rid of the awful taste. Good to know I am not the only one who is creating a lot of foul saliva, too. In the first 2 days, I was very dizzy and, since this was one of those side effects we are 'supposed to contact' our doctors about, I called. Two days later she insisted the dizziness and nausea were due to a virus. Today I ordered some Neem & Aloe Vera Inner Gel because there is pretty good information on these two botanicals' impact on H. pylori. Never again."

Jakenbake November 4, 2017

For Bacterial Infection: "This is the 3rd course of metronidazole I've taken in the last year for BV and I will never take this medication again! The first 2 times I had the normal side effects of headache, fatigue and metallic taste. This 3rd time has been an absolute nightmare! Around day 4 was when I started to get heart palpitations, flu-like symptoms, muscle aches, tiredness and chills. I literally thought I was going to die a couple times. I had to go to the ER because I almost passed out. They did a full work-up with labs and an EKG and found nothing wrong. I've stopped the medication 5 days ago and my symptoms are getting worse. I'm not sure how long it will take for this medication to get out of my system, but I hope it is soon!"

justsayno12345 November 3, 2017

For Pelvic Inflammatory Disease: "I can't honestly review the efficacy of this medicine because the side effects were so UNBEARABLE for me that I had to ask my doctor to switch me to another antibiotic. I had just about every side effect you can imagine: bad taste in mouth, nausea, lack of appetite, headache, debilitating fatigue, body aches, and I felt like I had a fever but my temperature was never high. I can't remember ever having taken a drug that I've had such horrible side effects from."

Kab35 November 3, 2017