User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Metronidazole Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 24 medications used in the treatment of Dental Abscess.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Dental Abscess

"Currently suffering with an abscess. Paid £95 to see an emergency dentist last Friday and was given this antibiotic 3 x daily 400mg strength and completed the course. Today I will be phoning the emergency NHS number provided by my local health board as I am still in excruciating pain and my jawline appears swollen again. Thankfully, I did not experience any of the awful side effects described by other users. I'm hoping today's dental visit will provide me with some relief because I would rather give birth again than have to continue in this pain."

Naomi (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2018

"I took these for 5 days for a dental abscess, I had a little heartburn but that goes with over the counter tablets. The metronidazole hasn’t made the slightest bit of difference to the abscess though"

Chris (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2018

"Started on Amoxicillin for a few days but pain just got worse. Ibuprofen maximum strength did not touch the pain so dentist prescribed 7 days of Metronidazole [400 x 3 per day]. Initially no relief and as well as pain was now exhausted to the point of daytime sleeping which actually was a relief. It was only today having taken 13 Metronidazole pills that noticeable improvement and have been able to reduce number of painkillers. No major side effects except odd taste in mouth. I also found putting oil of cloves on tooth gave some relief. Not completely cured yet but at least can now read and write this review ! Lucky in UK so medication for 60 years and over free."

TrishMc (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2018

"Omeprazole can be prescribed along with metronidazole to reduce nausea and heartburn, especially when taken without food. Huge improvement in tolerability with this combo!"

heather (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2018

"I was taking this along with amoxycillin for a dental infection..The side effects were extreme..Nausea and vomiting (bile when no food), severe headache, chills and sweats alternating, diarrhea, no appetite, could not hold food down even water, fatigue. Not sure why I had to take 2 antibiotics but will never take this again."

MrBone February 2, 2018

"Worst experience of my life. Most horrific side effects on this drug. Only had 3 x 400mg and had to stop due to severe nausea, racing heart and body trembling constantly. Felt like I was slowly dying and will never take this poison again. It did seem to be clearing the infection but the side effects are much too severe for it to be worth taking."

Shellbell999 (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2017

"Awaiting root canal but very bad toothache. Took this medication with Amox and after 1 day pain lessoned by 90% and this felt amazing. Felt sick as a pig, slept a lot and was mega moody BUT this was better than the pain for sure. Just 4 tablets left and can't wait to finish so this sickness goes away. Yuk"

Noos (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2017

"Positive experience - I was prescribed a 5 day course of metronidazole 400mg 3 x daily for a tooth abscess. I wanted to review after terrifying myself from reading all the negative reviews. Fortunately this medication worked almost perfectly for me. On the first 2 doses I didn't eat properly with it and did experience some nausea, but from day 2 I made sure I ate a full meal with it and took the medication half way through eating with a large glass of water. No further side effects for me. Cleared up my tooth abscess and I felt fine on it. I didn't drink alcohol at all in the days leading up to taking it and for about a week after. My dentist warned me that drinking alcohol with it would cause a severe reaction so definitely avoid that."

KarenMalcolm (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2017

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I was prescribed Flagyl three a day for 10 days due to a tonsil abscess. I’m on the 7th day and I will not be continuing. This medication feels like torture. I throw up or dry heave every time I take a pill. Nothing tastes normal, which makes me not want to eat nor drink. I am beyond weak and have lost so much weight in so little time. My doctors told me this was normal, when in fact it feels rather unhealthy. I would honestly rather have my initial infection then to experience the side effects of this medication ever again. It’s that bad."

peritonsilar abscess (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

"Suffer with G.O.R.D. so the heartburn has been awful, only day 3, 250mg twice a day with food. Have been very dizzy, light headed & felt like holding onto things to steady myself. Yesterday after walking & been on feet all day, got tingling/ pinching pain in one leg, went away after elevation & rest. Have had lower back & pelvis ache. A little nausea, but no real trouble eating, just the reflux making it seem worse. No trouble so far with bowel movements or urine discolouration. Infection clearing within the first two days, discomfort from abscess in glands gone after day one. Side effects much more tolerable than dental pain so far."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2017

Flagyl (metronidazole): "For a few years I have had this horrid smell coming from under my crown. I have had dental care from my dentist but the smell would persist. My dentist said he didn't notice an abscess but I told him that fluid was leaking from under the crown as well. I tried amoxicillin for 14 days (two seperate runs) and it calmed the smell down some but once I stopped the med, the smell came back full force. I am about to finish flagyl and I don't notice the smell at all. This is great, taste like crap but it works."

Chronic tooth funk November 15, 2017

"This is my 5th time this year on Metronidazole for an impacted wisdom tooth that can't be removed but keeps developing an abscess. It usually follows a failed course of amoxicillin and although it always clears up the infection the side effects are pretty awful. I feel like I've the flu for the first few days (fever, fatigue, unable to sleep, stomach cramps and loss of appetite) which usually means I have to miss work and then a really sickly stomach for the last three. It also takes me a few days after finishing the course for my energy levels and stomach to get back to normal. So drug works but the side effects are worse than my actual aliment."

nat1508 October 25, 2017

"I have had a severe tooth abscess which I fought on and off for a few years. Last time I had it, it gave me the most severe pain I have ever experienced in my life! Half of my face was swollen, I couldn't eat or sleep. I would stay up all night crying due to the extreme pain. I was prescribed amoxicillin and ibuprofen. Took them for more than a week but they didn't seem to do much, and the swelling was getting worse. Then the dentist prescribed me metrodinazole along with the antibiotics I was already taking and it changed my life! The pain was completely gone within less than 24h and the swelling went down within the first 3 days! I have personally not experienced any side effects and would take this medication again if needed."

AnaJacb (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

"So I got these pills from my dentist for a infected tooth although they warned me to not drink alcohol with the tablets they did not warn me that I would be feeling like I had been hit by a bus after just the second pill. I have had a severe head ache all day I cannot look at bright lights or even the TV, my right side of my body has gone all tight my chest is tight and it's difficult to breath plus many more side effects :( this feel more like a torture than a treatment"

Sprocko September 6, 2017

"Pain last Friday, but didn't go to dentist. Banging on his door Tuesday (bank-holiday!) Cleared out an infection between 2 teeth, X-ray showed no sign of trouble. Another sleepless night and I'm back and got 200mg Metronidazole and 500 mg Amoxicillin 3 a day for a week. 48 hours in and I'm typing this at 4.10a.m. For something to do and hopefully inform others. Just want the pain to stop. Taking paracetamols, but not effective. Bonus no side effects and no horrid taste. The tooth is crowned and root filled, so I just hope the drugs work, as I once took Fosomax which can make dental work very doggy re possible complications."

Spinneyman (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

"Was prescribed metronidazole for my gum abscess. Suffered from side effects ever since the first dose. I'm on 2 tablets 3 times a day. Stomach has been producing more gastric juice and there's burning sensation. It leaves a bitter taste on ur tongue for a while after you've swallowed the tablets. Worst of all, I've been feeling nauseous all day."

Angie-angela August 29, 2017

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Was reluctant to take this has read reviews and was going on holiday. But weighed up either bad toothache or risk side effects. No effects what so ever. Shifted my toothache. But didn't risk alcohol at all. Was bit itchy but nothing bad. Would take again if had too."

Oldwomaninashoe July 14, 2017

"Went to the dentist June 14th, with Toothache, had some x rays taken, and saw there was an abscess on one of my upper right teeth. Prescribed me with 200mg, 3 per day of metronidazole which I have had before. By the Thursday evening the right side of my face was swollen, and Excruciating pain. Friday was no better. Today, (Saturday) swelling and pain had subsided a lot, but still there, especially in the jaw at the bottom. Hoping that by Monday, last day of taking them the abscess would have gone completely. Back to the dentist in 3 wks time either to have root canal or have the tooth extracted."

PoppiesUK (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

"Had toothache for a week. Went to dentist. He cleaned out tooth and prepared for root canal. Put temporary filling in. (2 month wait on NHS) Week later I have swelling on gum above tooth. Another emergency appointment and given amoxcillin (penicillin) a week later my face on that side is swollen so much I look like I have a boiled sweet in there. Was given metronidazole. By the morning of day 3 on them the dizziness nausea and fatigue had developed into severe tachycardia, depleted blood o2 near on respiratory failure."

Bigredshed June 10, 2017

"I was prescribed 400mg to be taken 3 times a day for dental abscess and gum boil both of which didn't clear up previously despite taking 2 full courses of amoxicillin. After day two I was awaken by severe pain around my infected tooth and had to to take codeine and ibuprofen just to not to go crazy (this type of pain is an absolute terror). I noticed a strange sensation coming from the affected area and realised it was the abscess actually draining. It just shows how powerful and effective this drug is. You will read a lot of mixed reviews and stories of horrible side effects but don't get put off by it. it is safe and effective when taken as prescribed and it is better so suffer some minor inconveniences rather than indescribable agony."

michals June 7, 2017

"I have a infection on my tooth due to poor root treatment, I'm taking amoxicillin & Metronidazole at the same time, honestly both are not completely helping but I assume it takes some days to the remedy kicks in. I have no side effects as most of people described."

Alexandre Schneider May 29, 2017

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Caught a bacterial infection from daughter visiting from Japan August 2016. Could not get well. Unknowingly had a dental abcess that made me even more ill. Did some research and found flagyl with Augmentin had helped others. Got dental problems addressed and took 21 days of flagyl 500 mg x 2 daily with Augmentin 875 mg x 2 daily. Got well. Had to have more invasive dental work and am currently taking 21 day course of flagyl 1000 mg x 2 daily with 875 mg Augmentin x2 daily to head off infection recurring. If you have been ill and given up hope, try this combo. Yep it's a lot of antibiotics but I was quite sick and it helped me. I was infection free at time of last dental work but taking this as a preventive course."

KateAnnD (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2017

"was prescribed this drug as I had my wisdom tooth out and had a abscess and infection. I stopped after three days stomach cramps, very painful ones, killer of headaches and diarrhea, foul taste in my mouth and constant nausea."

welshsha (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2017

"Definitely not the most kind drug on the body. Left me fatigued, feeling nauseous, almost like I had the flu. Horrid taste in the mouth; almost metallic. Felt run down the entire time."

Debswareen (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2017

"I was prescribed seven days of metronidazole for a dental infection, augmenting a separate course of co amoxiclav which I had already started but which was not working. Five days into the metronidazole course, the medicine seemed to be having an effect on the infection, but it was having a rough effect on me too. Side effects included nausea, flu symptoms - pain in joints and muscles and overwhelming malaise - light sensitivity, as in a migraine, headache, stomach bloating, tingling in my feet. This was so hideously bad that I had to stop the medication after five days. I think metronidazole works, but at a very great cost to the rest of the body if one is as sensitive to it as this."

Fantail dove May 1, 2017