User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 25 medications used in the treatment of Dental Abscess.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Dental Abscess

"I have had an abcess in the same tooth 3 times now over the past 7/8 years the problem is its a front one so my dentist is reluctant to remove it. As I have had it a few times now I can tell the strange sensation a mile of as it is coming on before the real pain starts which might I add is probably the worst pain I have ever endured. So I went straight to the dentist. Because I caught it early this time he didn't want to perform a root canal and prescribed me with metronidazole 400mg 3 a day for 5 days I have had amoxicillin previously and it didn't work properly and had to have 2 root canals in short succession (not pleasant). I'm now on day 4 the swelling has decreased considerably very impressed with this medication"

Teamtayzer April 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Prescribed flagyl after finding out I had an infection under tooth which was excruciating I couldn't eat all week so I told the dentist this but he prescribed this disgusting pill along with anti-inflammatories and paracetamol. I ended up in A&E with horrendous stomach pain, vomiting the next morning - Dr in hospital said straight away "was it flagyl you took"...it took 48 hours for pain to subside and then started Augmentin with no side effects.Never again would I take that tablet massive reaction to it.."

PjSpain April 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Sat up in bed at 5 in the morning. I've taken 3 of my recommended dose. When I swallow them it feels like they are the size of a pineapple can somebody please tell me when the antibiotics will start working. I've had two 10lb babies but nothing compares to this gum pain"

Jessamie April 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had to stop taking this medication after 2 days because of serious side effects. First off the taste of metronidazole is horrid. Also I experienced nausea, depressed mood, paranoia, and bizarre thoughts. I'm also taking Prozac 20mg daily. I read online that the two taken together could potentially cause serotonin syndrome. I was not myself on this medication, regardless of effectiveness."

futurestevie (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been prescribed Metronidazole 400mg 3 x a day, I'm on the start of day 3 and pain has not subsided yet, I still takinging the painkillers, the only side effect I have is I feel tired more."

Bumper12 February 2, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had infection in tooth root canal which had been treated several years previously. My face was swollen and the pain was waking me every night. I was taking ibuprofen and paracetamol concurrently every 4 hours to ease the pain but it didn't work. I couldn't eat on that side and to touch my gums and even that whole side of my face was excruciating. I am allergic to Penicillin and its derivatives. I succumbed to a visit to the weekend emergency dentist and they prescribed Metronidazole, 400mg 3 per day for 5 days. It started working after 2 1/2 days. My face swelling disappeared after 3 1/2 days. After 5 days the pain was gone and I was off the painkillers. Extremely effective drug and pretty quick acting. No side effects for me whatsoever."

DJ Marl (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2017

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Second time taking. 400mg 3 x a day.....always clears up abscess & I've never ever had a single side effect."

JackjackJackie January 10, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking metronidazoles for 4 days (3 a day) and I'm still in agony, I've tried so many painkillers and nothing helps, my right side of my face is in agony and I can't eat or drink anything hot or too cold, cold air hurts my gums also, anyone have any advice?"

KHarper94 December 15, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had a wisdom tooth removed and was prescribed these(400mg×3 times daily)I was warned no alchohol so I had a good run at the wine after the extraction and started these the next morning.I felt a bit nauseous after the 1st and worse after the second but it might be because of the 3 bottles of wine.Hopefully they will do the trick.I think if I ever get them prescribed again I'll go without the alchohol beforehand"

Dipso November 7, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed the 400mg version of to be taken 3 times a day for 5 days to treat a dental abscess. The tablets did a great job at treating the abscess but they did have side effects. I did research the tablets prior to taking them and heard they were not the nicest so I was prepared for that. After a day of taking them I felt quite drowsy for 2 days. Once the drowisness subsided I began to feel nauseous but did not vomit and I developed a terrible taste in my mouth. If you do have to take them, I recommend taking them inbetween your food as I found it helped with the nausea and also to avoid the immediate nasty after taste. Overall I found them to be brilliant at treating the abscess so would take them again."

M.McFly (taken for less than 1 month) November 2, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After a filling I ended up with an infection, worst agony I've ever felt (and I've given birth) only thing that relieved it was hot water bottle (I'm aware you should not do that, but I was in so much pain) . Allergic to penicillin so was prescribed this. Slept for a week! I slept so much I had to move in with my parents so they could take care of my son, from day one I couldn't get out of bed. I also dropped 7lbs because I wasn't hungry at all. Felt high, acted high, missing memories from the week, very odd dreams. Bloating. Gas. Day 3 swelling and pain way down, day 5 gone. also 2 weeks later - 9 days late on cycle and altered bowels drastically!"

mrswuk (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After visiting the dentist, discovered that I had a infection on top right molar, this pain is indescribable had days of no sleep and took too many pain killers yes these didn't do anything paracetamol and nurofen is useless for that type of pain! Got prescribed 9 metronidazole tablets to be taken 3 a day with a gap of 8 hours in-between each, itis to be aware that it doesn't work straight away so don't expect that, it had been 18 hours for my pain to ease but still got a migraine, I feel sorry for anyone with this pain as it has reduced me to nearly tears and a whole knew level of upset that I hadn't experienced before.. Great rating for a drug that works miracles, pity you have to go to a dentist to be prescribed it"

Thomas, October 4, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Amoxycillin for dental Abcess only seemed to make it angry, my face was swollen, particularly below my eye, the pain was terrible and I took too many painkillers. Back at Dentist after 5 days they added Metronidazole to the prescription so I took both. Told no alcohol and to always eat prior to taking tablets which I took together 3 times a day at 8 hour intervals after food. 500mg - Amoxycillin and 400 mg Metronidazole. Just after twenty four hours the pain had dropped considerably and I was able to take less painkillers in fact less than 1/2. Prior to that I was setting an alarm just prior to their running out after 6 hours, I even woke up in the middle of the night to take them. Metronidazole was wonderful -but follow instructions"

Shaggy the second. (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"A week ago,I had a wisdom tooth extracted ,after the anaesthetic had worn off I was in agony,obviously after such trauma to my gum,the pain should be expected right? For the next 5 days I was crying in pain,everyday,night,all through the day..ive had 5 strokes but recently broke my back in 2 places,I'm on some pretty heavy duty painkillers,the pain was so bad,in my gum,that I did what I never thought id do and I took extra pain meds... Yesterday,I went back to dentist He poked my wound,gum and jaw,then wrote up a script for metronidazole 200 mg to be taken 3 times a day,a 5 day course. He asked if I had liver problems,then told me if I was sick I was to stop.I feel great,hardly any pain.this drug works wonders."

di66 September 8, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm on day 2 on flagyl and amoxil. The only side effect I've experienced, is bad headaches. Other than that, im just waiting for them to work. This tooth infection will be the end of me!!"

Yandy83 August 18, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was absolutely terrified of taking this medication after reading other reviews of severe side effects as I was going on holiday with an 18 hour flight! I was prescribed these for a week due to an infection after wisdom teeth removal and it started to bring the infection under control after around 3 days and I fortunately did not have any noticeable side effects bar feeling a bit more tired than normal. I had one night of severe sickness but I attributed that to jet lag/heat rather than the medication as it was on day 7 of the treatment."

Jo12345678910 (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Gum abscess ,new dentist proscribed metronidazole. First day I took three as was advised. Sweating, feeling tired, depressed and irritable , thought this was just part of the process after a bad tooth and gum issue. Day two after another sleepless night and the symptoms got worse. Severe swelling to the face up around the eyes and also very little pain relief. Thought it was part of the process but by god it was miserable.Not hungry, unsettled bowels etc.This pain did not let you sit down, I had to walk around the house for three hours after taking this medication. Again, I thought it was part of the process.Another sleepless night. ( I was taking paracetamol and anti inflammatories too) Day three ,stopped,still in pain."

Alan a very untough Scotsman August 10, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had an abscess on my right Molar and was prescribed this and Metazol, I also had nausea and vomiting and felt sickly but compared to the pain from the abscess I rather take it anytime, it took one day on these meds for the swelling to go down, My whole right side was severely swollen and one day after these meds the swelling came down considerably and I could face people again, I am thankful that the abscess burst after two days on the meds and now I have under gone the extract and surgery and still on these meds in fear of any further infection its been weeks now and I have one week to go on them and wouldn't stop even if I was hanging over a toilet bowl throwing up constantly."

Olive69 July 28, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am taking this med for a Left molar abscess, I was informed by the dentist that I have two. It is working on the abscess and me. I feel sickly and I have been nauseated and vomiteed once. I have been taking this for 3 days now with 2 more remaining, I will finish this medicine but after this I refuse to take this abt again. I am also taking amoxicillin along with this med, I have taken amoxicillin many times, no issue with it."

SICK V July 22, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am just in the beginning stages of a left front tooth abscess, went in to see my dentist, after examination he lanced the golf ball size swelling and drained most of the infection out i am on my second day of metronidazole 400 mg 3 x a day , i am in very little pain with some discomfort but the antibiotic seems to be working , i am making sure to take it with plenty of water and during meals and no alcohol"

eavlrccl July 18, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have a tooth infection and I'm on my fourth day of taking metronidazole I am prescribed 400mg 3 times a day I'm still in agony I have to take paracetamol and ibroprofen just to ease the pain I've had severe head aches and really bad muscular pain I will finish the 5 day course but will not be taking this again for dental perpose again"

Will1986 April 9, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Effective but bitter taste.why not create some fruit flavor coating"

Riduan April 7, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Great experience, 3x a day 200mg - no side issues, took the swelling and pain away and also cleared up an infection of BV ( which it wasn't even provided for- but I know it often is used for this too) - I only took it for 4 days"

Geeby February 29, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Given this antibiotic by dentist to save molar 2nd full day think it might be working but having to take paracetamol and ibuprofen to keep the pain at bay...not so good today slept most of the day..take omaprezole for reflux and this evening bothered with back pain which I think is acid reflux...have had a heart check and have no problems in that area...guess I just have to keep going and see if this antibiotic will work...hopefully it will be worth it and will be able to hold on to my tooth!"

Macsquirt February 12, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this medicine at 500 milligrams twice daily. At first my infection seem to get better the pain decreased. I noticed some shortness of breath within the first couple of days by the third and fourth day taking this medication I had muscle aches over my entire body, joint pain, would wake up in the middle of the night with a severe dry mouth, headaches and a bad rash that was extremely itchy and benadryl would not relieve. Now on my fifth day I have decided to discontinue this product because the muscle pain and itching or for worse than the infection is treating. I believe this is possibly a good medication however I believe maybe I should have been given smaller dose."

Soropa (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2016