User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 24 medications used in the treatment of Dental Abscess.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Dental Abscess

"I have had a severe tooth abscess which I fought on and off for a few years. Last time I had it, it gave me the most severe pain I have ever experienced in my life! Half of my face was swollen, I couldn't eat or sleep. I would stay up all night crying due to the extreme pain. I was prescribed amoxicillin and ibuprofen. Took them for more than a week but they didn't seem to do much, and the swelling was getting worse. Then the dentist prescribed me metrodinazole along with the antibiotics I was already taking and it changed my life! The pain was completely gone within less than 24h and the swelling went down within the first 3 days! I have personally not experienced any side effects and would take this medication again if needed."

AnaJacb (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I got these pills from my dentist for a infected tooth although they warned me to not drink alcohol with the tablets they did not warn me that I would be feeling like I had been hit by a bus after just the second pill. I have had a severe head ache all day I cannot look at bright lights or even the TV, my right side of my body has gone all tight my chest is tight and it's difficult to breath plus many more side effects :( this feel more like a torture than a treatment"

Sprocko September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Pain last Friday, but didn't go to dentist. Banging on his door Tuesday (bank-holiday!) Cleared out an infection between 2 teeth, X-ray showed no sign of trouble. Another sleepless night and I'm back and got 200mg Metronidazole and 500 mg Amoxicillin 3 a day for a week. 48 hours in and I'm typing this at 4.10a.m. For something to do and hopefully inform others. Just want the pain to stop. Taking paracetamols, but not effective. Bonus no side effects and no horrid taste. The tooth is crowned and root filled, so I just hope the drugs work, as I once took Fosomax which can make dental work very doggy re possible complications."

Spinneyman (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed metronidazole for my gum abscess. Suffered from side effects ever since the first dose. I'm on 2 tablets 3 times a day. Stomach has been producing more gastric juice and there's burning sensation. It leaves a bitter taste on ur tongue for a while after you've swallowed the tablets. Worst of all, I've been feeling nauseous all day."

Angie-angela August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Was reluctant to take this has read reviews and was going on holiday. But weighed up either bad toothache or risk side effects. No effects what so ever. Shifted my toothache. But didn't risk alcohol at all. Was bit itchy but nothing bad. Would take again if had too."

Oldwomaninashoe July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Went to the dentist June 14th, with Toothache, had some x rays taken, and saw there was an abscess on one of my upper right teeth. Prescribed me with 200mg, 3 per day of metronidazole which I have had before. By the Thursday evening the right side of my face was swollen, and Excruciating pain. Friday was no better. Today, (Saturday) swelling and pain had subsided a lot, but still there, especially in the jaw at the bottom. Hoping that by Monday, last day of taking them the abscess would have gone completely. Back to the dentist in 3 wks time either to have root canal or have the tooth extracted."

PoppiesUK (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had toothache for a week. Went to dentist. He cleaned out tooth and prepared for root canal. Put temporary filling in. (2 month wait on NHS) Week later I have swelling on gum above tooth. Another emergency appointment and given amoxcillin (penicillin) a week later my face on that side is swollen so much I look like I have a boiled sweet in there. Was given metronidazole. By the morning of day 3 on them the dizziness nausea and fatigue had developed into severe tachycardia, depleted blood o2 near on respiratory failure."

Bigredshed June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed 400mg to be taken 3 times a day for dental abscess and gum boil both of which didn't clear up previously despite taking 2 full courses of amoxicillin. After day two I was awaken by severe pain around my infected tooth and had to to take codeine and ibuprofen just to not to go crazy (this type of pain is an absolute terror). I noticed a strange sensation coming from the affected area and realised it was the abscess actually draining. It just shows how powerful and effective this drug is. You will read a lot of mixed reviews and stories of horrible side effects but don't get put off by it. it is safe and effective when taken as prescribed and it is better so suffer some minor inconveniences rather than indescribable agony."

michals June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have a infection on my tooth due to poor root treatment, I'm taking amoxicillin & Metronidazole at the same time, honestly both are not completely helping but I assume it takes some days to the remedy kicks in. I have no side effects as most of people described."

Alexandre Schneider May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Caught a bacterial infection from daughter visiting from Japan August 2016. Could not get well. Unknowingly had a dental abcess that made me even more ill. Did some research and found flagyl with Augmentin had helped others. Got dental problems addressed and took 21 days of flagyl 500 mg x 2 daily with Augmentin 875 mg x 2 daily. Got well. Had to have more invasive dental work and am currently taking 21 day course of flagyl 1000 mg x 2 daily with 875 mg Augmentin x2 daily to head off infection recurring. If you have been ill and given up hope, try this combo. Yep it's a lot of antibiotics but I was quite sick and it helped me. I was infection free at time of last dental work but taking this as a preventive course."

KateAnnD (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"was prescribed this drug as I had my wisdom tooth out and had a abscess and infection. I stopped after three days stomach cramps, very painful ones, killer of headaches and diarrhea, foul taste in my mouth and constant nausea."

welshsha (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Definitely not the most kind drug on the body. Left me fatigued, feeling nauseous, almost like I had the flu. Horrid taste in the mouth; almost metallic. Felt run down the entire time."

Debswareen (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed seven days of metronidazole for a dental infection, augmenting a separate course of co amoxiclav which I had already started but which was not working. Five days into the metronidazole course, the medicine seemed to be having an effect on the infection, but it was having a rough effect on me too. Side effects included nausea, flu symptoms - pain in joints and muscles and overwhelming malaise - light sensitivity, as in a migraine, headache, stomach bloating, tingling in my feet. This was so hideously bad that I had to stop the medication after five days. I think metronidazole works, but at a very great cost to the rest of the body if one is as sensitive to it as this."

Fantail dove May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have an inflammation around my wisdom tooth which has spread to tonsillitis and I was prescribed Phenoxymethylpenicillin by my GP and Metronidazole 400 / three times a day by my dentist, who agreed I can take them together. Within a first pill of Metronidazole I started to have a massive headache, so I took paracetamol too. After the second pill I woke up sweating and dizzy with a terrible rash on my hands and painful red spots inside my fingers and under my nails. I can't use my thumbs properly as they are hurting me. However, I still continue taking this medication because I've been having such a terrible infection and it's spreading too quickly. I'm on my second day now but I feel improvements, although they are very slow. Hopefully everything will be ok."

Musu (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had an abcess in the same tooth 3 times now over the past 7/8 years the problem is its a front one so my dentist is reluctant to remove it. As I have had it a few times now I can tell the strange sensation a mile of as it is coming on before the real pain starts which might I add is probably the worst pain I have ever endured. So I went straight to the dentist. Because I caught it early this time he didn't want to perform a root canal and prescribed me with metronidazole 400mg 3 a day for 5 days I have had amoxicillin previously and it didn't work properly and had to have 2 root canals in short succession (not pleasant). I'm now on day 4 the swelling has decreased considerably very impressed with this medication"

Teamtayzer April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed flagyl after finding out I had an infection under tooth which was excruciating I couldn't eat all week so I told the dentist this but he prescribed this disgusting pill along with anti-inflammatories and paracetamol. I ended up in A&E with horrendous stomach pain, vomiting the next morning - Dr in hospital said straight away "was it flagyl you took"...it took 48 hours for pain to subside and then started Augmentin with no side effects.Never again would I take that tablet massive reaction to it.."

PjSpain April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Sat up in bed at 5 in the morning. I've taken 3 of my recommended dose. When I swallow them it feels like they are the size of a pineapple can somebody please tell me when the antibiotics will start working. I've had two 10lb babies but nothing compares to this gum pain"

Jessamie April 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had to stop taking this medication after 2 days because of serious side effects. First off the taste of metronidazole is horrid. Also I experienced nausea, depressed mood, paranoia, and bizarre thoughts. I'm also taking Prozac 20mg daily. I read online that the two taken together could potentially cause serotonin syndrome. I was not myself on this medication, regardless of effectiveness."

futurestevie (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been prescribed Metronidazole 400mg 3 x a day, I'm on the start of day 3 and pain has not subsided yet, I still takinging the painkillers, the only side effect I have is I feel tired more."

Bumper12 February 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had infection in tooth root canal which had been treated several years previously. My face was swollen and the pain was waking me every night. I was taking ibuprofen and paracetamol concurrently every 4 hours to ease the pain but it didn't work. I couldn't eat on that side and to touch my gums and even that whole side of my face was excruciating. I am allergic to Penicillin and its derivatives. I succumbed to a visit to the weekend emergency dentist and they prescribed Metronidazole, 400mg 3 per day for 5 days. It started working after 2 1/2 days. My face swelling disappeared after 3 1/2 days. After 5 days the pain was gone and I was off the painkillers. Extremely effective drug and pretty quick acting. No side effects for me whatsoever."

DJ Marl (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Second time taking. 400mg 3 x a day.....always clears up abscess & I've never ever had a single side effect."

JackjackJackie January 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking metronidazoles for 4 days (3 a day) and I'm still in agony, I've tried so many painkillers and nothing helps, my right side of my face is in agony and I can't eat or drink anything hot or too cold, cold air hurts my gums also, anyone have any advice?"

KHarper94 December 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had a wisdom tooth removed and was prescribed these(400mg×3 times daily)I was warned no alchohol so I had a good run at the wine after the extraction and started these the next morning.I felt a bit nauseous after the 1st and worse after the second but it might be because of the 3 bottles of wine.Hopefully they will do the trick.I think if I ever get them prescribed again I'll go without the alchohol beforehand"

Dipso November 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed the 400mg version of to be taken 3 times a day for 5 days to treat a dental abscess. The tablets did a great job at treating the abscess but they did have side effects. I did research the tablets prior to taking them and heard they were not the nicest so I was prepared for that. After a day of taking them I felt quite drowsy for 2 days. Once the drowisness subsided I began to feel nauseous but did not vomit and I developed a terrible taste in my mouth. If you do have to take them, I recommend taking them inbetween your food as I found it helped with the nausea and also to avoid the immediate nasty after taste. Overall I found them to be brilliant at treating the abscess so would take them again."

M.McFly (taken for less than 1 month) November 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After a filling I ended up with an infection, worst agony I've ever felt (and I've given birth) only thing that relieved it was hot water bottle (I'm aware you should not do that, but I was in so much pain) . Allergic to penicillin so was prescribed this. Slept for a week! I slept so much I had to move in with my parents so they could take care of my son, from day one I couldn't get out of bed. I also dropped 7lbs because I wasn't hungry at all. Felt high, acted high, missing memories from the week, very odd dreams. Bloating. Gas. Day 3 swelling and pain way down, day 5 gone. also 2 weeks later - 9 days late on cycle and altered bowels drastically!"

mrswuk (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2016