User Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Helicobacter Pylori Infection

Also known as: Flagyl, Metro, Flagyl IV, Flagyl 375, Metro IV

Metronidazole has an average rating of 5.0 out of 10 from a total of 35 ratings for the treatment of Helicobacter Pylori Infection. 17% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 31% reported a negative effect.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

5.0/10 average rating

Compare all 43 medications used in the treatment of Helicobacter Pylori Infection.

Reviews for Metronidazole

KC · Taken for less than 1 month July 13, 2021

“I began taking omeprazole, clarithomycin, metronidazole, and amoxicillin. I am now on my last day (14 days total). The first few days were okay but within a week they improved. Side effects were just uncomfortable but not bad, diarrhea, insomnia, dizziness, metallic taste in mouth, headache, heartburn, and nausea. My side effect symptoms come and go. Advice: If you are reading these experiences please try not to stress as much as everyone is different. I find that taking a probiotic helps a lot to reduce stomach discomfort and diarrhea. Make sure to eat light throughout the day and change your diet to mainly BRAT diet ( bland ) as well as prebiotic foods, this will let your ulcers heal as well as avoiding bloating and other stomach discomfort. Avoid alcohol at all costs as well as sugar and bread because they promote the growth of H pylori. Eat 2-4 hours before you go to bed or lay down and keep your head and torso propped up because it helps digestion as well as avoiding GERD symptoms.”

Scottish Male Nurse May 4, 2021

“I took Flagyl 400 x 2 for 7 days and I will outline what I experienced. 1 - They made me feel very sick all day every day. 2 - I was never off the toilet. 3 - I felt very low in mood, agitated and argumentative. 4 - Fatigued, never felt so tired. 5 - My legs ached from groin to my knees. 6 - My lymph nodes in my groin and neck swelled up. 7 - The skin on my hands peeled. 8 - I lost around 4 - 6 kilos. 9 - Taste in my mouth was disgusting. 10 - I couldn't sleep. 11 - I felt unsafe driving as I was so tired and dizzy. Finished these a few days ago and I called my GP to report to check these side effects were normal... simply put they said yes. Should clear up in 5 - 7 days!! Today my legs still ache, I am exhausted with no energy to do anything. My mood is improving and I'm no longer agitated. My glands are sore in my groin and neck . Hope these wear off soon !!! Good luck taking these and hopefully if you do you'll be feeling better soon.”

raffisaint · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2021

“I was prescribed Metronidazole, doxicicline, Prilosec and bismuth for two weeks to treat h pylori. My side effects include headaches, cramps, upset stomach, tingling sensation, fogginess, fatigue, diarrhea, lost of appetite, and awfully bad metallic taste. I can't concentrate on anything, my stool is pitch black, I feel depressed. Metronidazole is very hard to swallow, it to s very bitter and wreck havoc on my stomach. For all the trouble I went through, I hope h pylori is eradicated from my system.”

Hpylorisurvivor · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2019

“I want to share my story because when I was prescribed this, then after seeing all the reviews I was very scared. I'm here to tell you that there is a really good chance that you will not have any of those effects if you take it like you are supposed to. First, some people advised to take it with orange juice which I researched and is a no-no. Also try to not eat too much fiber during the time you are taking antibiotics, I searched and fiber takes away some of the potency. Take it with plain water and eat some lettuce leaves with it. I got bad after taste which was not that bad only once when I laid down on my right side at night. If you lay on the left side, and you should have not problem. I am H Pylori free and I plan on staying that way, I changed my whole diet, and lost 10 lbs and feel Great.”

indigogirl · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2019

Flagyl (metronidazole): “I can't believe the complaints on here for a antibiotic that is going to heal your infection. I am on Tetracycline, Flagyl, Bismuth and Lansaprazole, I hope you all feel better. Drink lots of water and eat before you take this antibiotic. Love and Light”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2020

“And so I am on day 5 of 7 on a cocktail of Omeprazole, Amoxicillin and Metronidazole for H pylori. Normally I tolerate antibiotics well but the word I am using for this treatment is “grim”. Has to be the Metronidazole which is disagreeing with me but it seems my H-Pylori is resistant to Clarithromycin. I have a constant and utterly revolting taste in my mouth which is so bad it makes me nauseous. My tongue feels thicker somehow. Chewing sugar free gum helps but it’s really really really unpleasant. Headaches in the night with some disturbed sleep and, so far, one instance of frankly bizarre and unusually vivid nightmare.”

Traude · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2014

Flagyl (metronidazole): “Most horrible side effects: Bitter taste in mouth even hours after administration, balance problems, confusion, surroundings seem unreal, like walking in a dream ( not a good one) concentration problems, general malaise, not able to eat anything but oatmeal and mashed potatoes. Extreme weight loss. Had to stop after 11 doses. Stomach worse then before. I have to add that I also had Amoxicillin and Protonix at the same time, maybe the combination was at fault for this extreme reaction.”

No name · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2019

“I am taking Clarithromycin, Metronidazole 500 mg each along with Dexilant to treat H Pylori for 14 days, I have 3 days left so know I can make it. My only symptoms have been the metallic taste, really ugly, helps to swallow as quickly as you can before they start to dissolve, it also helps to slowly dissolve a hard candy when the taste gets really bad. Also dark urine, primarily in the morning. Suggest you drink a lot of water to try to get medication to move through your system more quickly. My last symptom is constipation, am trying bisacodyl soft gels, has helped somewhat. Can’t wait to be through and hopefully have this nasty bug out of my system! Treatment second time in ten years, although hard to tell how long I have had it this time. Overall stomach issues and indigestion are much better so far. Not eating much, so that could also explain lack of prior symptoms. Don't forget to get a new toothbrush so you don't reinfect your self.”

Gassy · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2016

Flagyl (metronidazole): “I had a Duodenal Switch (a major weight loss surgery combining the vertical sleeve with rearranging one's intestines to minimize fat absorption) 9 yrs ago. Since then I've had probs with gas and a stomach ulcer, both caused by H Pylori. I've taken Flagyl twice. I am now on Day 5 of this round, & I don't experience most of the side effects I see described. (250 mg 3X per day) While the pill doesn't "taste" great, there are other meds that also don't, and I find this no more severe than those. I don't have a lingering bad taste. I've had no diarrhea and have had more regular bowel movements. I've had almost no gas. My pain is gone. I don't feel sick. I am grateful for this drug!”

NRad88 November 21, 2019

“On second therapy after initial 14 day antibiotic treatment failed to rid of h-pylori. First time 140 pills, now a combination of antibiotics totalling 260 pills in 14 days. I am on a PPI, Metronidazole, Tetracycline, and pepto. After taking my 3rd of 4 doses of Metron my head starts pounding. I drink 8oz of water for each of the 8 antibiotics daily plus whatever extra I take from the PPI and regular water consumption outside of the antibiotics. I don’t drink, smoke, or consume caffeine so it’s none of those. I have been a model prescription medicine taker and followed the instructions to a T. Anything after noon, when I take my third dose of this medication, is downhill. I basically become a vegetable. I’m on day 4, I don’t remember what side effects I had last treatment but I do remember by the end of it I was ready to throw in the towel and lock myself in a closet to cry my eyes out. Side effects: Irritability Fatigue Nausea Headaches Loss of appetite moody”

Bananas December 7, 2020

“Was taking clarithromycin and tinidazole 500 mg twice a day - I couldn't. I took 3 doses and stopped on the 2nd day- extreme side effects - I was crying and shaking all day, nausea, stabbing stomach pains and diarrheas. My head was spinning and I almost fainted. Horrible. This drug is very strong and has affected me horribly. I couldn't keep taking past the 2nd day.”

Qbizzle27 · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2019

“I was prescribed this med for 14 days with clarithromycin, bismuth and omeprazole to treat h pylori. After four days I was having horrific panic attacks in my sleep, severe depression and felt like I was losing my mind. Had to completely stop it. After four days without taking any, am still feeling anxiety, feelings of de-realization, weakness, dizziness, and like I cannot regulate my internal temperature. It is getting a little better but still feel like garbage. I am allergic to penicillin so the doctor wants me to see an allergist so he can prescribe levofloxacin. H Pylori is no joke but these meds are like poison!”

Bob · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2019

Flagyl (metronidazole): “The side effects from flagyl have been worse than my original symptoms of H pylori. Explosive diarrhea, bloating, loss of appetite, urgency and general discomfort. I have two days left of a 10 day/ 3 times a day cycle. I cannot wait for it to be over. Don't take this stuff unless you have to. It has been hard.”

Anonymous May 22, 2019

“Prescribed metronidazole this for H Pylori. This medication made me totally unable to do anything. Extremely Weak muscles and extreme fatigue. Missed work. Two weeks after finishing still battling weakness in my muscles and fatigue. Never will I take it again.”

DoxieMom October 30, 2019

Flagyl (metronidazole): “I'm on day three out of 1t day of taking a three tier medication schedule for h pylori, metronidazole, erythromyacin, and omeperazole. My doc suggested that I take one of the antibiotics, eat something, wait an hour, then take the second one. So far I’ve had no bad side effects, only a bad taste in my mouth.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 19, 2017

Flagyl (metronidazole): “I am now on day 7 of a 14. I'm on Metronidazole, Omeprazole & clarithromycin. I have had H-pylori 3 times with in a year. The treatment for me has been awful. The dosage was tripled and it has given me nausea, bloating, foggy memory, a white film on my tongue & fatigue. The metallic taste last all day. The thing that you need to be aware of is if you continue to get H-pylori like I have, it can be a precursor to stomach cancer. After this round of treatment I have taken the steps to see a gastroenterologist, to insist that he does an endoscopy, to ensure me that there isn't anything for me to be concerned with at this time. It's a very scary feeling to have gotten this infection at least 3 times within a year.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 17, 2019

“Dr prescribed for 400 mg metronidazole to be taken thrice daily and 500 mg clarithromycin twice daily. Esomeprazole twice daily. This was for 14 days to get rid of Helicobacter Pylori. This absolutely wrecked my body. First day had terrible stomach cramps and constant severe hunger pains. Did not sleep at all from the pain. After two days the cramps went away but was replaced with intense nausea, weakness and a really dry mouth and a constant disgusting taste in my mouth. Could not eat anything after the fifth day. Had to stop taking the drugs on the sixth day and my dr agreed that this was too much to handle. Could only handle fluids the day after stopping the regimen. Was set out to finish my 14 day course as would love to get rid of this bug once and for all but my body couldn't take it anymore. Now hoping five days of intense antibiotics were enough to eradicate H Pylori. Will have to wait a month before retesting. Maybe a lower dose fewer times a day could have helped? But possibly not as effective.”

sgenter · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2013

“Metronidazole causes me to have headaches, bloated stomach with cramps(sometimes severe), and a heavy feeling. Prescribed for H-Pylori treatment for 10 days along with Clarithomycin. It also causes a lack of appetite. When taking this medicine, it will taste bad and leave a bad taste in your mouth and throat for a few hours. I find drinking a hot beverage like cocoa or low acid coffee after taking it has helped relieve the bad taste but doesn't get rid of it completely. For Manufacturer's: Manufacturer's should really consider making this as a hard caplet. Maybe even adding a flavor enhancer. In it's current form, it almost immediately starts dissolving before being swallowed with a disgusting salty taste.”

mizzx February 2, 2012

“I have really bad headaches taking this and its only my second day on this. I also feel very very tired and a heavy and foggy head I feel dizzy as well. I feel a little sick but not to bad and I have a funny taste in my mouth I have another 8 days of taking this and just hope I don't feel worse or I might have to stop. I also have stabbing pains in my belly which I never had before. ”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2015

“I've been on this medication(clarithromycin, doxycycline, and omperazole) for nine days now to treat H Pylori and experiencing Chest pains, bloating, stomach cramps, headaches and dizziness. Five more days of theses uncomfortable side effects and I hope it'll all be over.”

laura77777 January 16, 2017

“I hope this is helpful for those that are taking this medication. I am on day 6 now and I'm feeling better. But the first 3 days my stomach was burning. Make sure you take a probiotic 2 hours before or after taking this medication. The reason for the stomach burn is that the good bacteria is being destroyed by the METRONIZOLE? so the probiotic replaces the good bacteria that has been lost. Also I take 3 pepto bismol chewable tablets 1 hour before I take the medication - it really helps out so much. I take this medication twice a day and I take 6 peptobismol in total all day good luck.”

Mike12345654321 September 8, 2015

“Taking it together with tetracycline, pantoprazole (a PPI), and 30ml of pepto. Taking it all 4x daily for 2 weeks for a confirmed H. pylori infection. Since I started taking it, I experienced mild to severe nausea and bloating. Occasional cramps, as well. The metro tastes absolutely awful, and swallowing it right away usually resulted in the pill getting stuck in my throat and dissolving there. I found that taking it with grape gatorade and letting it sit in the back of my mouth for a few seconds made the experience less awful, but nothing can get rid of the aftertaste. At the time of writing, I still have 5 days left of treatment. I read on multiple review sites that despite the side effects and taste, treatment generally works.”

Dee · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2020

“Metronidazole should be removed completely from the list of antibiotics,I was diagnosed with h-pylori and I hate how this particular antibiotic make me feel, the doctor said take with food, but how when this disgusting pill makes you loose your appetite and when you do take it with food you get nauseated,I threw up,and felt weak... REMOVED METRONIDAZOLE ITS NO GOOD”

Dess September 30, 2018

“I was given 500mg four times a day for H pylori. The taste was horrible and by day 5 I started to vomit. I called my doctor who refused to return my call. By day 6 I started having stools like water. I stopped the drug on my own. I'll be careful what I take next time.”

Cc August 20, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole): “Amoxicillin always was so hard on my stomach my stomach - more than h.pylori. A family member told me to get over it because they were an army med. do not get over it. The metronidazole shouldn’t make you feel this way and is truly the cure.”

Praying it helps! · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2015

“Had severe pressure in my chest and thought I maybe having a more serious underlying health problem, so ended up going to Dr who in turn immediately wanted to rule out a Pulmanary Embolism (blood clot in lungs) due to symptoms and blood work that showed elevated levels of a D-Dimer test. So she sent me immediately over to ER to have CT and Chest X-ray completed. The ER doctor saw me and ran his usual self examination of me with my symptoms and come to find out I have H-Pylori, bacterial infection in my stomach. Gave me Flagyl 3x daily and Doxycycline 2 daily along with pepto and Prilosec. I'm on day 4 and my side effects are Severe Bloating, chest pain , and just feeling not myself. The taste is awful, but the cramping is worse.”

Joycin November 20, 2019

“So far I’ve had no side effect except for acid reflux/heartburn. I’m on day 5 out of a 10 day course and can’t wait to get rid of this nasty bug. I’m taking the H pylori combination of Omeprazole, Clarithromyxin, metronidazole and pepto bismuth.”

Nachowatay · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2018

“Been taking metronidazole for H. Pylori along with Clarithromycin, Amoxicillin, and Pantoprazole. It is awful, the horrible taste remains in my mouth all day and night. Extreme tiredness and pain between my shoulder blades. I am on day 9 of 14 and don't feel like I can take it anymore. Will never do this again.”

Learn more about Helicobacter Pylori Infection