User Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Amebiasis

Also known as: Flagyl, Metro, Flagyl IV, Flagyl 375, Metro IV

Metronidazole has an average rating of 3.8 out of 10 from a total of 13 ratings for the treatment of Amebiasis. 15% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 54% reported a negative effect.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

3.8/10 average rating

Compare all 25 medications used in the treatment of Amebiasis.

Reviews for Metronidazole

Sir. Peter · Taken for less than 1 month April 22, 2019

“This drug does what is supposed to do, but at what cost. I was prescribed this drug for Amebiasis. It gave me: 1. extreme nausea 2. headaches 3. diarrhea 4. metallic taste 5. general weakness 6. hairy tongue 7. fast heartbeat 8. Breathlessness 9. Pounding temples In general, this drug made my life awful. Next time, I will ask for alternative drugs. Even after I finished the dose, I still suffered from side effects four days later. It is just not worth it.”

laurzyyyyy · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2017

“Worst medication I have ever had. I started off vomiting once a day, then twice a day. My hands were tingly, and my feet. My scalp went tingly too. I felt so dizzy and thought I was going to pass out. This was just awful. At first I thought this might have been symptoms of amoeba, but it was from the antibiotic - metronodizole is a powerful drug. Unfornately I had all these symptoms on an island and had to return to mainland. The more competent doctor on mainland, stopped the flagyl and prescribed dioxanide furoate. Metronodizole is used to treat the parasite, however there are also eggs associated with the parasite, and they will hatch as well. metronodizol treats the parasite, diox treats the eggs. these will show in stool separately.”

Numbness Gone · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2016

“I suffer from an intestinal parasite (Endolimax nana), and I was prescribed metronidazole (Flagyl) at a daily dose of 1000 mg per day for a week. Every drug has its side effects, but I was particularly worried about the possibility of developing peripheral neuropathy since my father had suffered from that condition for many years. In spite of assurances from my physician, my feet went numb, with some additional numbness in my hands and wrists, not to mention the fact that the drug was ineffective against the parasite. I’m writing now in the hope that this will reach those of you have experienced similar side effects: I want to say that the neuropathy is in fact reversible and that you WILL eventually regain feeling in your extremities.”

Miyako1994 July 16, 2017

“I'm on day six and I'm still not pooping normally. It's better , but still not like before. It makes me feel SO lethargic and nauseous. I feel SO bad and tastes SO Bad. Ewwww. Never taking this again. The thought of it makes me vomit.”

serotonin · Taken for less than 1 month December 1, 2019

“Been using this metronidazole for amebic dysentery, at a dose of 500mg, 3 times a day for 10 days and I feel like it will be the end of me at any time. The side effects are serious: no appetite at all, feeling very nauseous, vomiting here and there, and just a general feeling of illness. The only good thing I can say about this is that it’s probably effective because my symptoms have already disappeared (though this has yet to be confirmed by fecal test. I’m just happy I’m on my 9th day now, one more day and I can stop taking it! Never taking it again! If your doctor prescribes this to you, at least ask for an anti-nausea medication. Or ask if there’s an alternative.”

Nic · Taken for less than 1 month June 18, 2018

“I am currently taking 500 mgs twice a day for a total of 30 days. I’m on day 11 and I have to say I’m quite shocked at some of the reviews. Yes, it has its side effects and yes all of our bodies react differently but this is not the torturous nightmare I was expecting. I think the best advice I could give is to make sure you are getting your probiotics in to reduce diarrhea and overall symptoms Here’s what I’m doing along with a nutrient dense diet, lots of water, sleep and patience: Saccharomyces boulardi (SB)is a probiotic yeast not native to our gut that survive antibiotics so it can be taken w/ the flagyl Four hours after the antibiotic and SB I take a 6 strain lacto and 6 strain bifido mix AND a soil based probiotic containing bacillus. I'm 5’2” 115lbs and female. I’m autoimmune and throwing off immune response markers 2x the high and am showing IBD from this thing. If I can handle these meds I think any other user can handle it. Best of luck to everyone!”

Kput96 January 29, 2018

“I am on this medication right now for my amebiasis (traveler's diarrhea) AND IT'S CRAZY AS HELL. The stomach upset is really upsetting and I feel nauseous all the time. I feel like throwing up every second and my stomach burns. I had esomeprazole (acid production inhibitor) and antacid to help me cope with it but IT DIDN'T HELP MUCH :( I feel very uncomfortable most of the time. It may be effective for the amebiasis because my diarrhea does decrease. But it hurts my stomach. And I have dark urine I thought I'm dehydrated or had a kidney injury or something turns out it's the side effects of this medication. Hate to be put on it. Feel miserable now.”

brian1952 · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2018

“I have used metronidazole before for gum disease (tooth abscess - highly effective). This time I had smelly burps caused by giardia (difficult to diagnose). Flagyl wiped the smelly burps fast. I got slight nausea but not much - I no longer drink alcohol (which helps!). Incidentally I get severe reaction to Ciprofloxacin (tendons breaking and horrendous suicidal feelings) so I am aware of the negative side effects many other users report. For me this stuff works, thank God.”

Gecko) February 7, 2015

“I am on day 6 of 10, 3 times per day at 750mg. It does taste awful but I am keeping the benefits in check to outweigh how I feel. I do have nausea following but it passes in an hour or so. I few really sleepless nights too. I have been sick on and off the last 3 years and if this is what gets me feeling more amazing on the other side of this I am happy! Keeping my eye on 4 days from now. I am drinking a few tablespoons of Kefir between each dose, so far so good! I would struggle to take a second medication for yeast infections when it is so preventable with diet.”

ENHPOW · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2021

“Today I had to go to the clinic, they had to give me some injected serum and painkillers due to the dehydration and a rigid colon. Why I wasn't drinking water? Well just thinking about it gave me nausea. I was suspecting my IBS may have turned to IBD or I was about to have a prolapse. I endured 9/10 days of treatment, with the hope the Entamoeba cysts they found in my stools are now gone. However I was left with nightmares reaching night terrors a damn cough related to GERD and a spastic colon I have never experienced before. I hope I will never be prescribed this bomb anymore in my life. I was prescribed some colon targeted analgesics and probiotics to counter all these.”

Kin May 23, 2018

“Worst medicine I've ever taken in my life. I have to take it for 10 days. I'm on my 6th day and I want to stop it tomorrow. It's just the worst. I feel so horrible.”

Anonymous September 26, 2019

“Excellent product.”

B.C. · Taken for less than 1 month July 5, 2021

“On this for Blastocystis hominis caused nausea, lack of appetite, metallic taste in mouth for whole 10 days of taking the capsules.”