User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

"Was prescribed this medicine for 7 Days 2 times a day 500 dose. After the second day in a very bad metallic taste in my mouth, headaches, diarrhea, no appetite, no energy, and vomiting I manage to stay on the medicine for 4 days, I can't take it any more after the weekend going to call my doctor and see if I can get some more meds besides these because I believe that they are just about killing me - that's how bad I was feeling. Even after 4 days of taking them 2 days after I stop still feeling bad."

babygirl0055 January 15, 2018

"Was diagnosed with Bacterial Vaginitis. My doctor prescribed four 500mg pills = 2g taken as one single dose. I had something to eat, took the gravol, took the 4 pills and was off to bed. I took the pills with milk.. didn't taste anything. When I went to bed I felt like I was a little tipsy started to get drowsy fell asleep within a half hour or so. The next morning I had a sharp pain that would come and go in my lower left stomach, migraine, a bit dizzy. Honestly, it just feels like I have a bad hangover. Overall, not as bad as some people made it sound. Maybe taking it with milk, gravol, and on a full stomach helped and I liked the single dose option too because its a one and done deal."

Anonymous January 12, 2018

"Gonna share my experience as I have huge medicine phobias & reading these put the fear in me. Tested positive for BV with no symptoms, so I can’t tell you if this helped for symptoms. Had 5x400mg dose in one. Didn’t taste of ANYTHING. Had mildest side effects. Not saying they were pleasant, but they weren’t terrible. Mild nausea, some mild headaches, some mild tummy aches & some heartburn/reflux. Ate a HUGE meal & drank a LOT of water knowing these were gonna be unkind to my stomach. I believe this drug can be nasty. But a lot of reviews are gonna be bad as it’s what people want to share. People who’ve had a good experience on these drugs, just carry on their day, not thinking about leaving a review."

thatgirlthatone (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2018

"I was diagnosed with BV and took my first dose of 500mg around 2 p.m. Later that night I experienced body aches in both my arms and legs. I have a hard labor job so I thought I might have been sore from the work week. I took next dose in the morning and shortly after I experienced hot and cold flashes, extreme nausea, and loss of appetite. I'm nauseous constantly and have vomited. I don't know how I'm going to make it through the entire prescription!!"

Megtt210103 January 7, 2018

"Worked great. My symptoms subsides after 3 days!!! The only thing that I noticed was darker urine. After reading these reviews, before I started taking the medication, I was concerned that I was going to be sick for the entire week but I had NO adverse side effects! I think it is similar to reviews on products, people are more likely to leave a bad review than a good one. I would bet that most people have minimal side effects such as myself and just don't bother because there was no problem!"

605arm January 3, 2018

"I had the paragard for 7 years. This yr (2017) I finally had it removed because I was acquiring Bacterial infections on a regular basis. The medication alone makes you so sick. I have had every single symptom every single time. I have had to skip a dose because I couldn't handle throwing up anymore. I started throwing up gastric juices back to back because I no longer had anything to throw up. It has cured me every time. However, if you must miss a dose then do so (it will still cure you accurately) NEVER stop taking it completely. The secret is to take Dramamine with your antibiotic. TRUST ME! You might try taking dramamine like 20 minutes prior. Good luck everyone!!"

Salllleysuuue January 2, 2018

"I am currently on day 4 of 7 and I feel like the underside of a shoe. I am extremely dizzy and am seeing "spots". I can't move around without feeling like I'm on a roller coaster. It's given me diarrhea, bloating and a wretched metallic taste at the back of my mouth. They can put a man on the moon and solve erectile dysfunction, but they can't improve this medication? I've only taken it one or two times before and each time is as horrible as the last. If you have a choice to take ANYTHING else...including a frying pan to the forehead, do that instead. This is the pits."

WinterSeason (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2018

"I have been taking Metronidazole twice a day for 7 days as my doctor said and I too was okay at first but I am now very tired. I have an horrible headache that I got day 2 and I am now on day 6. I have flu like symptoms and a little irritation to my va jay jay so I'm hoping I'm not like some of the others and have now formed a yeast infection. I also have the paraguard and didn't have these problems before getting it. I've had it in for 3 yrs now. I am scheduling to have it removed this week. Even tho I will miss my light periods its not worth all this. I was also tested for all STDs and everything came back negative except BV so I'm guessing this medicine explains the cramps and lower back pain . Hopefully removing the paraguard will help"

SM22 (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2017

"This medication gives me a very upset stomach like a constant lower left abdominal cramp. I also have a bloated stomach and I feel like it creates trapped gas in my intestines , my bowel movements are very weird and I feel constipated. It is important to take a probiotic during and after the treatment because antibiotics like this will destroy the microflora of your intestines and your vagina therefore causing yeast infections you may ask your doctor for difulcan pills to avoid a yeast infection while on this BV treatment."

CATHQmanic December 30, 2017

"I started taking 500mg of flagyl twice a day for 7 days for BV and had to stop after 3 days. It gave me shooting leg and hand nerve pain, dizziness and insomnia. I read that the nerve pain could become permanent so I stopped taking the pills immediately. But it did clear up my BV symptoms after the 1st day. It’s been a few days since I’ve stopped the pills and the symptoms haven’t returned yet so I’m hoping it did it’s job because these are some heavy duty antibiotics"

Anniekdss December 27, 2017

"So after reading all the comments about the side effects of metronidazole on here, I was prepared to not take the antibiotics (5x400mg pills one dose) and just suffer with BV - which is silly. I literally wasted a day crying, obsessively reading the reviews and wondering what I was going to do. I decided to take the pills with a big meal and then go to bed about 8pm (which is very early but I just wanted to sleep through any potential effects). I did it and got ready for bed and asked a family member to check on me in the night just because I was a bit paranoid something might happen in my sleep (I’m an anxious girl). All I had was a bit of a headache and I feel tired the next day. Take the antibiotics, you can do it!!"

cbigtoe (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2017

"Was diagnosed with BV, just funky odor no itching or pain. Started with metronidazole 500mg twice daily for 7 days. Got extremely tired and couldn’t get up. Heartburn and nauseous. Smell cleared after 2 days. After 3.5 days I went back to the dr, and they switched it to the metronidazole vaginal cream. Started the cream and after couple hrs terrible heartburn, nauseous, I was unable to sleep, then in the morning threw up. I was exhausted and nauseous all day, in the afternoon started clotted white discharge. Started yeast infection medication. Haven’t continued metronidazole, hopefully the 4 days I was able to do cleared the BV, now have to deal with yeast infection that the cream caused. I was taking probiotics double-triple dose the whole time."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2017

"500mg two tablets a day for 7 days for BV. Meds work well as the odor is gone and discharge is going away. The side effects I am having are extreme dry mouth, headaches, fatigue, soft stools (that smell like I’ve eaten eggs), decreased appetite and I’ve been spotting since taking them."

Kricket45 December 18, 2017

"Thank goodness for these reviews, I wasn’t sure if it was just me. I’m on day 4 (500mg x 2 day) and I feel awful. I take it with food as prescribed, but it’s curbed my appetite immensely. I haven’t been hungry for 2 days. Flu like symptoms that have so far included, morning nauseous and one night of intense nausea and dry heaving. Fuzzy feeling with a dull headaches. Extreme fatigue — I slept most of the day today and still feel tired. Also, some jaw tension. The only indication I had of BV was odor so as far as I know, everything seems and smells fine now. I’m going to try my best to stick it out, but this sucks!"

Janeeee (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2017

"I was taking 500mg 2x daily for 7 days. The first 3 days were fine. On the fourth day I was so exhausted and terrible headache, felt very much like having the flu for remaining days, all I wanted to do was sleep. I stuck it out though, completely cleared up my BV. Tip for anyone using drug, swallow as quickly as possible, the taste is awful if it stays in mouth too long. And also, take after a meal."

Anonymous28019 (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2017

"Effectiveness in treating BV- 10/10 Personal Experience and Satisfaction- 5/10 Symptoms experienced- Dizziness, headache, migraine, blurred vision, sensitivity to light, disorientation, cotton mouth, fatigue Hi everyone! This medication is extremely effective in terms of treating BV, however, the few days of having to taking it are probably the worst days I’ve had in awhile. Hoping many of you share more positive experiences while taking this medication "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2017

"I read the reviews before I began taking this medication and it scared me. However, I’m now on day 3 of the Metronidazole pills and I haven’t had any side effects at all, not even the bad taste that people said it would leave. I guess everyone’s body is different. I will wrote an updated review once I’ve completed the pills but I wouldn’t know how effective it has been until my cycle is over."

Nyy (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2017

"This is my first time getting BV and was given 500mg 2x a day. Started the antibiotic on the last day of my period. This medicine has curbed my appetite completely, made me extremely thirsty, given me nighttime sweats, and has made me feel extremely weak and fatigue. Not sure if the fatigue is from my not eating, but it definitely sucks. My discharge is still funky but odor has completely gone away (day 2). Would recommend if you have the guts to deal with the side effects!!!"

Anon0987 December 6, 2017

"Took metronidazole 500 mg for seven days three times a day, oh boy did it clear my BV. This is a strong pill, I suggest to take it with a meal. The only side down of this medication is that it gave me an headache, dry mouth (no matter how much water I drank), feeling fuzzy, and made me emotional. I was strongly told by the doctor do NOT take any type of alcohol while taking this pill for two weeks. Which I followed. I know not everyone is the same, but it did help me clear my BV.... thank goodness"

Graykat December 5, 2017

"Like everyone else, I have headaches that come and go, cramping, bloating, night sweats, disoriented and I feel a slight case of heartburn when I first swallow. The worst part, so far, is the dry mouth. The sides of my mouth feel like cardboard and all that I want to do is drink water but it’s making me urinate a lot more. There is one side effect that I’ve had that I haven’t seen anyone else mention yet. I have been on my period since I’ve started the pills, and this has been the strangest period that I’ve ever had. This period is heavier and is a brighter red than normal. Two hours after my initial first pill, I started gushing blood. I can’t wait until I’m done with this."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2017

"Turns out I had bacterial vaginitis for a year or so and it was awful. I mean sex was painful, weird smelling discharge, everything was completely out of wack. I finally decided to go to a gynecologist, I told her all of my symptoms and she prescribed me Flagyl 2 a day for an entire week and only BAD side effects I personally experienced were mood swings, diarrhea (every single time) and the horrible chalky taste it left behind.. other than that, cured my BV. Tried every possible cure (natural) and I guess some things just don't work for everyone ... but flagyl worked wonders on me. I recommend .. (consult with your PCP)"

SMHithappens November 26, 2017

"This is the 2nd time I was diagnose with BV in a 3 year time span. I was prescribed two tablets a day for 7 days. I researched the antibiotic before taking it, most complaints were about the taste when it hits your mouth. I masked mine in a piece of bread and swallowed it no problem each time. No taste or after taste. Make sure you take on a FULL stomach. I was stressing/ nervous about the side effects as it seems like most experience the worse. I'm very sensitive to medication so to my surprise I didn't not get half the side effects as most. Tiredness, slight body soreness, soft stools. No vomiting or flu like symptoms. I have one more pill and ready to be back to normal. Symptoms improved after 2nd day. I'm happy it's gone and hope I don't get it again"

Dixxie November 16, 2017

"6 weeks after giving birth, my OBGYN informed me that I had BV. She prescribed metronidazole 500 mg to be taken 2/day for 7 days. I read all of the terrible reviews on this site and freaked out. I did not want to take this drug. I could not use anything topical due to not being fully healed from my delivery. I decided to try one pill and see what happened. Needless to say, I had absolutely NO side effects from this drug. I finished the course and my BV was cured. I made sure to take each pill after eating a full meal, and I even snacked a bit for a few minutes after. I also took very large doses of probiotics while being on this drug. I was pleasantly surprised and I try to avoid meds at all costs in general."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2017

"This was the worst antibiotic I've ever taken. Took ONE, only freaking ONE dose and I was in the ER an hour later. 15 minutes after I took it I couldn't even see straight. Got to the ER and my blood pressure was sky high 158 over 96!!! My blood pressure has never been this high, not even when I was pregnant. Basically I felt like I was about to die from this antibiotic. And I believe the hospital staff thought something bad was going to happen because I got sent straight back and had sterioids, Benadryl etc given to me to reverse the effect immediately! It is STRONG! Even the nurse was cracking jokes with me about how strong it is. It may work for some people, but be careful especially if you're sensitive to medications!!!"

Madibee (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2017

"2x500mg a day for 7 days. Plus: Immediate clearing up of BV first day of taking. Must take with food! Downside: Came down with nausea, headaches, difficulty swallowing, mouth ulcers, difficulty sleeping, fogginess, and extreme fatigue. I'll opt for the localized gel next time. I used it once before, with great success (minus clumpy discharge which is no biggie) and none of these crazy flu-like symptoms!"

100%Effective/0% Pleasant (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2017