User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 25 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

"took my first tablet this morning and then headed off to work, worst day of my life, I couldn't concentrate, my whole body hurt I was dry heaving all day felt as if I needed to throw up but couldn't ... I hope this is all worth it i really do :(("

absolutelynotttt July 27, 2016

"The medicine works. But of course the after taste is the worst. It leaves a horrible taste on your tongue that alters the taste of everything you eat. I also felt sick at times. Nausea, and stomach ache. Though it was because I was consuming with my iron pills but even when I stopped that for awhile it still remained. But over all it works. Just have to get over the after taste and nausea. And water doesn't necessarily help."

StephanieB123456789 (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

"This stuff works really good, had no side effects. But let me tell you, it tastes SO BAD. I'd eat before taking it, would chug it with water. You're going to instantly want to puke it out the second it touches your tongue. Horrible aftertaste. I suggest using maybe juice instead of water to mask the taste. Drink lots afterwards too, that taste doesn't leave your mouth"

JP97 July 25, 2016

"This medicine has the worst side effects. If ever needing treatment again the gel will be the only option. No matter if you eat with, before, or after taking medication it makes you feel absolutely horrible. I also believe it overrides your birth control if you're on it cycle came early. Nauseous daily, tired daily, apetitite loss for sure indescribable taste left in mouth just all around a horrible experience. 7days of pure suffering."

NotbNo More July 19, 2016

"I was dreading taking this medication as I've read so many awful reviews, but for me I really had no side effects other than dark urine. They do taste awful so I put water in my mouth first then dropped the tablet in and swollowed, and didn't taste a thing. I also took optibac probiotics for those on antibiotics which can help with side effects if you have any. Well worth taking."

Becky boo (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

"I got proscribed 500mg for 7 days and this is my second day taking it. The pharmacist told me if I ate with it I should be okay for nausea but no matter how I eat with it I feel so sick the rest of the day. Every time I eat I feel like throwing up, and I'm losing my appetite. It's a good medicine but it makes me feel horrible."

MylittleRex July 15, 2016

"My doctor gave me 500 mg of Metronidazole which was about four pills to take as a single dose. I went to the doctor after finding out my guy has been having unprotected sex with another woman as well as myself. I think maybe it threw off my Ph balance. I also had a UTI but so far it seems like it worked. I won't know for sure for two weeks when I go back for my other STD test results. I hope it is gone but I didn't experience any side effects."

Poe Doe July 8, 2016

"I forgot to add the headaches have been terrible as well. I'm getting them in the back of my head too which is bizarre"

Mhoyt001 July 3, 2016

"It worked very well. It cured my infection, but constant severe pelvic cramps, light headedness, dissiness and nausea were my side effects."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2016

"I have had baby since I was 17 years old and I am now 34. I've had it basically every day. I take my medicine it goes away and it comes right back the doctor told me that there is absolutely nothing he can give me to get it to clear up completely. I found that taking the medicine with milk prevent that nasty taste in your mouth It Coats your mouth and then also coach your stomach so it helps with the nausea. This is my probably 30th or 4th time taking this medicine and it seems to not be working at all this round I might have a yeast infection I don't know? But let me tell you ladies I have suffered with this for more than half my life. I get it with sex protected and unprotected and even if he pulls out I hope you girls can find something"

Tlovestar June 28, 2016

"Flagyl is one of the worst bitter taste medicine I ever got. However, it does helps me feel better after I finish a 7days course, but my first 4 days was extreme bad. Headaches, adominal pain, dry mouth, lost of taste and appetite. Worth it or not I am still not sure. But I know that it make my man have allergic reaction after sex that worried me even more."

thatMK (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2016

"I was prescribed metro after noticing a pungent smell coming from my lady area which was a symptom of bv. I was instructed 2 times a day morning and night for 7 days, on day 3 the smell was completely gone but I'm still doing the full 7 so I don't risk the symptoms returning. I eat a meal before each pill and wait 10 minutes for the food to settle before taking the pill and I haven't had any headaches, nausea or blurry visions some people have experienced. The downside is that the drug kills bad as well as the good bacteria so there's risk of a yeast infection so I've been eating yogurt daily to try and prevent that, so far I am happy with the results and on day 5. The downside of the pill is the metallic aftertaste which is really strong a"

pluvo (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

"I had BV, which I already had a feeling due to a strong 'fishy' odor, esp after intimacy. I had to take two pills for seven days. If this is your first time taking this pill, push it as far back to your throat or swallow it as fast as you can without letting it dissolve on your tongue, this pill has a very strong nasty metallic taste! Drink lots of water or w.e works. Within the second day of the course, I had no smell at all which was a huge relief! Avoid alcohol.I finished my course and I am happy to say the only main side effect was dizzyness and feeling tired. Metronidazle does not treat a yeast infection, but it can lead to one so be prepared and consider taking Diflucan as soon after to prevent or cure a yeast infection."

Anonymous June 23, 2016

"I started taking this medication when I got BV. My doctor is great and always knows best! This medication was great. No side effect besides eating less, and that's fine with me! I could lose a little weight ! =] overall satisfied , and BV is gone!"

Jodjod June 21, 2016

"A year ago I got treated for thrush. I had blood tests, swabs etc. A few months after I then started having symptoms of UTI. Again I went to the doctors and got tests done to rule out STD's. Thankfully it all came back negative. It has now been a year and I thought I was having recurrent thrush. I pushed for my 3rd lot of tests as I felt something wasn't right, (pain during intercourse and bleeding after). I have now finally been diagnosed with BV - medication 3 tabs a day for 7 days plus probiotics & Nilstat cream. It's day 2 and already I've noticed a HUGE improvement. No SE accept for slight bloating and fatigue. Fingers crossed I won't have to deal with these horrid symptoms again."

Sez182 June 17, 2016

"My BV started after unprotected sex with a new man, (more fool me!) My doc gave me 2g metronidazole as a single dose, which cleared up the BV but then it came back. Twice. I wasn't having any sex at all, never douched, no semen involved...plenty of journal articles suggest that BV can be caused by bacteria that are sexually transmitted, I think so too!! My doc gave me the 7 day course 400g 2x a day, symptoms cleared up, got a yeast infection, that's cleared up, now everything has been better for a month, so hopefully it's all behind me now, it was horrible! 2g single dose didn't work & made me feel awful for 48hrs: headache, dizzy, tired, nauseous. 400g 2x day for 7 was ok, I took it with food, avoided alcohol & felt sluggish."

Mindy_bean June 16, 2016

"I'm on day 5 of 7 day treatment. I'm very suspicious of this medication. So, I'm not taking two pills a day, I think one a day is quite enough. I had a pap smear which showed an abundance of bacteria - bv, but i don't have any symptoms. So I can't tell if i'm getting better because i never felt bad. But what I do feel on this med is the same as all the other women. fatigue. nausea. slight headache. slight dizziness. why am i taking a pill that my liver has to filter, that my body has to interact with when the bacteria is centrally located?!"

surviving this med (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2016

"The side effects of this medication were hard to deal with-occasional nausea, moodiness, blurry vision, and the worst side effect by far was the drowsiness. It was hard to even get out of bed a lot of days and had no motivation to do anything."

girl in nc June 14, 2016

"I'm on day 7 of 14 of 500mg twice a day for BV. I have never had this before I'm 48 years old. The side effects of spinning and mild headaches all day were different but worth the hassle.The vaginal discomfort started to subside after about 3 to 4 days. I wasn't warned of the yeast infection possibility however, this was the first time having this too. I'm better now after the diflucan. I would take it again if BV ever comes back."

Ciera1 June 11, 2016

"So, I just completed my seven day course of Flagyl. It's been seven days of Hell.... I had one day where I thought I was fine... I think second day. And then, pelvic discomfort, loose bowels, fatigue, aches. I didn't know if I was sick or if it was the meds. And, sometimes the urine was clear and then sometimes Amber color... Last night was my last pill. Today, I still feel crampy and had Amber urine... I'm also gluten intol. And I ate a 1/2 slice of wheat bread by mistake. The discomfort could also be from that. I would hate to have to take this med again but loved it when one of the blogs was from the woman who had "bad se' from it the first time but none after. Hope my bv has gone away."

Bubbalooshkie (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2016

"I too have had a horrible experience with this medication. By my 4th dose I am extremely naseous, my body feels exhausted beyond compare and I feel like I am going to collapse at any moment. Have no appetite, horrible acid reflux, and no will to get up out of the bed. I was going to try to commit to the full dose of 500mg 2x a day for 7 days, but I've had enough and can't handle these symptoms any longer! Throwing this script in the trash and never taking this poison again!"

Jewels614 June 3, 2016

"I contracted my first case of BV two weeks ago and thought it was a yeast infection. I waited a week before going in and getting tested. I was first prescribed clindamycin cream which did absolutely nothing for me except for worsen the symptoms and give me a UTI. I switched to Flagyl last night and I started feeling noticeably better six hours later. I couldn't believe it! This morning, the terrible burning is gone. I am still going to take it for six more days because that's what the doctor told me to do. I am also upping my probiotic intake to replenish the good bacteria and prevent a yeast infection (100 billion CFUs a day). I would give it a 10/10 except for the fatigue and upset stomach I am experiencing."

Anne_H June 3, 2016

"I was prescribed Metronidazole for BV, I was severly nauseas 2 days after starting the doses, I couldn't eat more than a few bites of any of my meals... even the sight of food turned my stomach! The taste is rancid, it almost has a weird/nasty feeling in your mouth, too. But my symptoms seem to have cleared up, I didn't finish the full 7 day dose, per my Dr since symptoms cleared and nausea was so bad, I was advised I could stop with only 2 doses left. I will never take this antibiotic again, it feels awful being nauseas, never mind that severly and for that length of time! Gel for me next time, if needed!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2016

"This medication works great, you can literally notice the difference after one dose, but I would much rather deal with the infection than ever take this medication again. Severe headaches, nausea, loss of appetite. Feeling like I got ran over by a train. Day 4 and I called it quits. My headaches were so bad I couldn't even sit up without assistance. Never again! Definitely will be asking for somethibg different next time around."

Brianne7309 May 26, 2016

"Doctor diagnosed me with BV and gave me flagyl prescription: 2/ day 500 mg. I have just completed the fourth day. I noticed the symptoms of BV subside by the second day, and by day four the smell and rash are almost completely gone. I've been eating a lot of yogurt, drinking cranberry juice to deter UTI. I've had very little stomach pain, only after I eat dinner. The main side effect I have felt is a constant slight headache(nothing close to a migraine). I also get very fatigued after completing very simple tasks(I had to take a two hour nap after sorting through some of my clothes to donate). Taste is horrid, but I started gulping it down with a smoothie or coconut water, and that disguises it. Worth taking, despite the side effects."

Supaconducta (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2016