User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 30 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

"I've had to take these meds before for BV, (Had it twice in the past) and those times I've taken it, I was totally fine. But this time around? I'm in hell. My doctor prescribed 21 pills (2x a day) instead of the 14 I had in the past. The first day or two was okay, only a little nausea, which I take Ondansetron for, so that helped. But the past couple days have absolutely sucked. I've had to run to the bathroom a few times because I thought I was gonna vomit, have had abdominal cramping, dizziness, etc. I haven't taken my pills for 36 hours and I feel so much better than when I was on them. My BV symptoms feel better, but I'd rather try a different treatment to ensure it has fully gone."

Salamanders March 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was prescribed this for BV. First tablet within 15minutes of ingesting I felt high, confused, slow and drowsy, forgetful, clumsy almost felt like a dementia patient. (Wasn't nice at all) Few hours later I started getting intense STABBING PAIN back, sides, feet, hands arms even in my neck and private bits! The pain was soo intense it made me cry out loud! Popped the second pill and I still had the side effects from first tablet apart from constantly felt like I was 360 degree spinning and off balanced on top of it all. Its been over 12 hours since I took my second pill and the side effects are still there as I'm sat writing this I feel so out of it I've rang the gp and waiting a call back as I'm scared to take the 3rd pill. Don't want it getting worse"

Sally1991 (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I'm on my last pill only problem I been having is with my vision & that horrible taste ugh yuck but overall it worked. I was scared 2 take it at first"

Mechiee (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I'm on my 3rd day of taking this medication for bacterial vaginitis and the smell is COMPLETELY gone. I was dealing with THE SMELL for like 2 weeks because I thought I was just 'off' down there. My only side effect is dark pee. Good luck women, I FEEL YOUR PAIN."

dayanna3333 March 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am on my 5th day of taking this pill. The first 3 days I experienced nausea, fuzzy vision, brown urine and metallic taste in my mouth. I've noticed that the discharge has been improving but the smell is still there. I'm really hoping this pill works because I can't stand the smell it's so embarrassing n uncomfortable especially since I'm sexually active."

Mkmkmk March 12, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"After reading reviews on this medication I was so scared to take it because of all the negative side effects people had from it. After blowing it off for 3 weeks I finally decided it's was better for me and also the baby if I just sucked it up and took it. I DIDN'T HAVE A SINGLE SIDE EFFECT!!!!! BV can cause early labor (for the pregnant ladies). I did have a lot of discharge and my vag did have a weird smell and none of the "natural cures" on the internet worked after 24 hours on the pills the smell and discharge was gone completely. The pill is disgusting but if you take it with juice it's not horrible. My doctor stressed that eating a heavy meal with this pill was a must if I didn't want the side effects I haven't had BV since"

Pink93 March 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Wanted to say that this medication works, as long as you take it for how long the doc say it is for. I only got one of the side effects and I wish I rather got diarrhea or headaches. (I have chronic migraines already and gallbladder issues so nothing I haven't handled with before) But no my unfortunate butt had to get vaginal itching, which in my opinion is the worst. I brought cream for it and baby powder and nothing is working. I just took my last pill this evening so hopefully once it has cleared out of my system then that will go away. Cause being a college student with that problem has got to be the hardest thing to ever hide."

C.W (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Prescribed This for BV. 500mg, 1pill 2x a day for 7 days. This medicine does have an awful taste to it but it works. I saw improvement the 2nd day I was on it. I try to take it with some type of juice and it's not that bad."

Smith91 (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Prescribed 500mg twice daily for BV. Experience wasn't too bad the first couple days, but then I started feeling extremely tired and had no motivation whatsoever. I also had a severely low mood that felt like a severe bout of PMS (even though it was nowhere near that time of the month). After 3 days, I noticed my hand being numb when I got out of bed; it went away throughout the day. The 4th day, same deal, except this time my arm was still numb at noon. Went to the clinic that prescribed this and they told me to stop taking it, and they said hopefully I had taken enough for my bv symptoms to be cleared up. I started taking probiotic caplets when I stopped the medication in hopes it will boost the good bacteria in the meantime."

LittleTeapot March 4, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I decided to share my experience, because when I first read the reviews, they almost scared me into not taking them. I was prescribed 500mg, twice a day, for seven days. I completed day two today. After taking the first pill, the discharge decreased dramatically, and the smell was completely eliminated. On day two, the discharge was completely gone. I have had no side effects whatsoever. The reviews scared me so bad that I seriously considered not even taking them. I am not used to taking medicine other than Motrin. I drink less than once a year, so I'm not sure if that played a part in the lack of side effects or not. I am going to complete the seven day treatment, but it's just day two, and all of my symptoms are gone."

Love it!!! (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"The side affects from this drug are AWFUL. It makes me feel sick to my stomach, I have constant headaches, a loss of appetite, a metallic taste in my mouth (the medicine itself tastes disgusting and is chalky), makes my pee very dark almost a brown color, and makes me feel very weak and weird. However, despite all of the harsh side affects, this drug does work. This is my 3rd time getting BV and each time this drug has made it go away after 3-4 days. This drug sucks, but I rather deal with the side affects than a smelly/icky vagina."

bbygirlllllll (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I'm on my 5th day and I'm not experiencing what everyone is saying. I did get a little headache and today I felt light head for 5 mins but I feel like that had to do with work. i'm not sure if my situation is different because yes I do have BV but there was no smell. my vagina was itchy, burning and it hurt when I had sex with my boyfriend but that went away. We had sex again and the burning came back so I went to check. The burning went away before I took my meds so I'm not sure if my situation was serious. I'm have 2 days left & I have a friend's 30th party tmw. I'm tempted to stop today so I can drink but that seems to not be recommended at all. The medicine is not so bad but yes it does taste horrible, but taking it with OJ helps a lot!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was told I had BV three days ago...took the first dose of meds and symptoms seem to lesson. Three days later all symptoms are back! :( BV is the worst! Praying it's not something more serious as it won't let up!"

HaileyP March 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am a student, so obviously being given this medication, where I'm told I'm not allowed to drink 48 hours before taking it & 48 hours after was going to prove to be difficult but I managed. The tablets were soooooo effective and I am SO happy I was given them BUT I recommend anyone who decides to have a 'mad night out' after taking them to wait over a week, 72 hours is TOO SOON & I was very drunk and very ill, black out on the night, vomiting all night and the next day, make sure they're out of your system!"

Melissa1996 March 1, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Okay I've been getting recurring bv especially when I have unprotected sex with my same partner I don't know why it keeps coming back and it's nasty and embarrassing it's ruining my sex life .. I've been on these stupid antibiotics for like 3 months .. first dose was 7 days then the second and third dose 14 damn days and now the smell is just getting worse and I don't know what to do.. I don't get no side affects like headaches etc just brown urine And the metal taste .."

Lyrikkal February 27, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am ready to get off this medicine. This is my second day on it and I have five more days to go. I feel very bad. I can barely eat, I feel sick to my stomach like I have to vomit. I have a headache and I feel very weak. I have been on antibiotics but this one is the worse. This medicine had me feeling so bad to where I was crying because I was so sick to my stomach. Wouldn't nothing come up. I pray and hope that I do not never get one of these anymore. This is my first time having this.. My Doctor said it was similar to a yeast infection but it was mild compared to a yeast infection. But taking the medicine is worse then taking the pill for a yeast infection."

Shunnie (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Im 20 year old female, So far I'm only on day 3. I had diarrhea, nausea, headache, heart burn, and numb hands at night. Also bruised easier. Tastes horrible! I don't feel any relief I have 6 more days to go. :("

Sadgirlsad February 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've taken this pill for 3 days now and the odor in my vagina is still there. When will this odor go away?!!"

marielex February 23, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Metronidazole - You do know that flagyl comes in a vaginal gel form? This should help those who suffer from side effects from pill form."

Anonymous February 21, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This medicine makes me VERY sick"

JessiePoe February 20, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I developed BV from taking antibiotics for a skin infection. And I got a prescription for metronidazole 500mg two a day for 7 days. The pill did what it was supposed to do to clear up things but the taste is awful. The trick is to get a piece of bread and wrap it around the pill. It takes away the taste. Worked for me and I don't have BV anymore. THANK GOODNESS!!!"

Z.E February 20, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My experience has been pretty neutral compared to many of the other reviews I've read. I was prescribed 500mg 2x a day for 7 days for BV. Just took my last dose. The pill tastes awful and chalky, and I've had a bad taste in my mouth all week. I've had a pretty constant, yet minor headache, and a slight loss of appetite. Definitely glad it's over, but I had a much better reaction to it than most people. As for the BV, I was on my period this week, so it's been hard to gauge. I know the odor is gone, but I'm still unsure about the amount of discharge. My follow up appointment is next week so hopefully it's done with (for now)"

Ctb_1988 February 17, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was just prescribed this medication because I have an issue with reoccurring BV. My doctor told me there is no cure for it and about 70% of women are diagnosed with it. I am on day 4 and I can't take it anymore. I was not experiencing any symptoms until this morning when I was getting ready for work. I was extremely nauseous, but still tried to push through. I eat before I take any medication. I also have been drinking nothing, but water. As I was working I started experiencing chills and started profusely sweating. I went to the bathroom and my vision got fuzzy. My chest was tightening and I could not breathe. I was experiencing a lot of anxiety and had an anxiety attack. My stools have been loose and I stopped wanting to eat :("

Jenny H February 16, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Reading all of the reviews for this drug sure makes one second-guess if they even want to take it, so I wanted to share my experience. I was prescribed 500mg 2x a day, and my provider was very clear when he said don't take it on an empty stomach, and don't drink alcohol with it. Makes sense, because 500mg is a pretty hefty dose. I take one in the morning with milk, after breakfast, and one in the evening after dinner. Didn't try a sip of alcohol while taking it (certainly wouldn't want to lessen my chance of BV going away). My side effects weren't bad at all, in fact I didn't notice a thing! If you take it how you're supposed to, it's a very effective antibiotic and WELL worth getting rid of BV. Good luck ladies!"

alwayssunny08 (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"So I am on my 5th day of 7 day 500 mg tablets, every morning I wake up at take one at 9am, go back to sleep for an hour or so and wake up vomiting. But the vomiting doesn't stop there. I have vomited 10 times today, I'm unable to eat, I have no energy, and uncontrollable diarrhea. I haven't been able to work since on this medicine because every hour, I'm in the bathroom at least twice. I'm severely pissed that I am having these adverse reactions and am so thankful that tomorrow is Monday and the doctor's are open."

Lou Lou96 February 13, 2017