User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 30 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

"Foul smell immediately gone on my First tablet. But you have to finish the 7day medication"

Hazel K July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"DO NOT take this if you can avoid it! I've taken a lot of antibiotics in my life, and NEVER have I ever had such terrible side effects. Fatigue, thrush, nausea/vomiting, dark urine, migraine and oh my god the vertigo, it's just the worst! I got prescribed this (500mg) 2x a day for 7 days and I stopped at day 6. First day without a dose and I still feel pretty lethargic but over all I feel somewhat okay. I never had any symptoms from BV (didn't know I had it) other than I guess discharge and that has stopped for now. Still a little nauseated, but nothing like I felt last night. I have had zero sleep because I was up all night vomiting! If you can finish the full prescription and come out unscathed my hats off to you! This antibiotic SUCKS!!!"

RagerK July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"horrible side effects for me! Everyone's body's are different but mine did not like metronidazole. I have had reoccurring bacterial vaginitis for a while. This time, I was prescribed Metronidazole 500 mg every 8 hrs for 7 days and I just stopped at day 3...the side effects were HORRIBLE! My first dose was fine but after my second, I got a severe headache with sharp pains that lasted all day and night...worst head pain ever. I had severe fatigue and could barely get out of bed.. I also had palpitations, stuffy nose, and anxiety. I skipped my dose this morning and although I still feel slightly lethargic, I feel a ton better. I would definitely recommend taking a different medication. My doctor just prescribed me a new antibiotic."

Rosee M. July 10, 2017

"Doesnt work"

Kimooo334 July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"500 mg , two times a day for 7 days. Medicine worked very well but made me very tired, a little headache and didn't have much interest in doing my usual hobbies. I was my usual self after the 7 days but overall happy with the medicine."

Mandy Lynn July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Screw this drug. The symptoms are so bad I can't even function. My whole entire body is in aches and is tense. I have a fever and a severe headache. I am so tired. I have a sore in my mouth now. Like how is this the cure. I looked up natural remedies and doing that. Big pharma is a scam they want us sick. I'm done taking it I'm day 3 my intuition told to stop. The next day I woke up after not taking it my severe lower back pain was gone but I'm still suffering the side effects. I just want this out of my system never again. Of course it free and no copay..."

Heather z July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works well!! Second time taking it and I'm getting all but 4 side effects. Nausea is brutal. Light headed/dizzy. Abdominal cramps. IBS flare! Moody. Headache, calf pain..... etc....etc. Stopped today after calling the pharmacist. Side effects are just too severe. No problem the first time I used it. And nooooo booze when taking this! You'll get violently ill. Seriously."

Flattoes (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor prescribed me a 7 day dose because she thought I had bv because my cervix was inflamed but it was due to rough (you know what) and I took that dam pill and it had me feeling like trash"

amber223 June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine does it's job, my symptoms from the infection cleared within the first 3 days out of 7, taking 2 pills a day. It worked and cleared the infection so I'll give it 10 stars, but the side effects are for sure mentionable. I felt fine other than a metallic taste in my mouth for the first 2 days, then the extreme nausea rolled in. Imagine the feeling you have seconds before you puke, 24/7 for days on end. I also had headaches and slight stomach pain. I took probiotics while on the medication and they didn't do anything. I still recommend this antibiotic because it does its job, just be prepared for the side effects."

Jj1029 June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After reading all of these horrific reviews, I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty hesitant on taking these pills for the week. My gyno prescribed me 500 mg to take a twice a day for 7 days. I'm on my 4th day with no crazy side effects. I already see a lot less discharge and the odor has minimized greatly. The only negative thing I can say is the metal taste you experience when taking the pill. It's pretty bad but if you have juice and a food to bite into right after taking it, you'll survive! :)"

DeeBee0619 June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Right there with everyone else, BV infection. Flagyl 500 twice daily. So happy done with this medicine. I took it for 7 days. I hate this drug!! Headache,metal taste, cramping and dark urine. I starting feeling better symptom wise on day 5. By day 7 I felt good except for all the side effects. I'm two days off and the burning, itching are back. I'm calling my obgyn today. I'm so afraid she's going to want to put me back on it!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is my first time taking metronidazole and first time getting BV. I am supposed to take 2 tablets a day for a week (500 mg). The first few days were fine, I noticed I was beginning to get tired though. The fishy odor went away by like day 3. By day 4-5, I was beginning to get more symptoms like headaches, dark urine (even though I drink a lot of water), minor upset stomach, trouble focusing, and irritability. By day 6, I was lightheaded, confused, couldn't focus at all, and nausea on top of all the previous symptoms I mentioned. I am not completing this prescription with 2 pills left. I also am a healthy 4'10", 100 lbs, and 21 years old female who only takes medication when it's a last resort."

Lala12345 June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had my annual pap and they found that I had bv (I had no symptoms) so they prescribed me 4 pills (500 mg) to take of metronidazole all at one time. I took the pills on a full stomach and with water. I laied down for a nap, 2 hrs later I woke up with a 101 fever, sore throat. Later that day I had the sweats and chills, colored vaginal discharge which I didn't have before, and when I ate and drank everything had a weird metal taste to it. I work night shift and never have a problem staying awake, but tonight I could barely keep my eyes open. I just feel out of it all the time. I haven't talked to my doctor yet about my side effects to this drug, but I'm thinking I should start a woman's probiotic."

Anonymous June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've taken this medicine before for a cold/flu. The taste is absolutely miserable. I can't take the full pill because it's too big for me ( I'm a bad pill taker). So I have to take two gulps. I've had BV on and off for at least three years. Everytime I go to the gyno they tell me I have it. I went once in Feb and once in may this year and I've had it the entire time. After my Feb visit I took the vaginally gel that's supposed to help. I've tried every antibiotic. I'm back on flagyl again for 7 days twice a day. My husband and I don't have sex while I'm on it. Also when my antibiotics are done I'm going to start taking a probiotic that helps with vaginally health."

Catlady14 (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Am a senior woman, recently diagnosed with BV. Only symptom was itching - no discharge, no smell. Took a one week course of this drug (500mg @ 2x/day) , itching cleared up after Day 4. After 7 day treatment ended, no more itching. But slowly itching returned four days later. Am now on my second, 7 day course and hope this works. Have experienced no real side effects except for a brief headache but take medication strictly as per instructions: one hour before eating; no alcohol. Interestingly enough, I have found that taking an anti-histamine for allergies helps relieve the itching too."

Newlife1234 (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on my fourth day taking the medication, and let me tell you I have never had such bad side effects. I always get tonsillitis so I'm use to antibiotics and have never had bad experiences with any. This has been so horrible so far. From the horrible taste in my mouth, to the dry throat. The confusion and being unable to speak clearly today. The most recent side effect has been pain and stiffness in my right foot with a bit of tingling and numbing sensations. I called my doctors offices and begged for a different medication. I can't go on with this medication, the symptoms just keep getting worse and worse. No wonder the medication is so cheap."

SL4305 June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lord where should I begin with this Medication...was told to take 2 pills for 7 days I am on day 7 and I am so happy it is almost over! Since day 1 I have had major side effects...the tiredness is the worst I literally laid in bed for 2 days no motivation to even move and that is not like me. Day 3 I started noticing a bad taste in my mouth and really dark urine. The pill definitely works it is the side effects that are horrible. Side effects: cramping headache tiredness metal taste in my mouth I experienced some confusion and extreme stomachache and dry mouth constantly....take with caution please."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First couple of days were no problem, then I started feeling nauseous every afternoon and more tired than usual. Its the last day on my dosage and I don't feel like I can even keep food down, I've been trying to eat soup just to get something in my stomach but its been hard. I'm the type of person who has been surviving on 5-6 hours of sleep a night, but on this drug I've been sleeping longer, not feeling like I've gotten enough sleep, and taking accidental naps during the day. My doctor only suggested this to me saying that my bacteria levels weren't too high, so it was my choice to take these, if I could go back I wouldn't have started these pills. As far as I know they work, but the side effects I had are horrible."

FeelinSick (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on day two ... and this medication makes me very irritable. My neck hurts . I'm aggravated for no reason . ( I'm typically a happy /chill person ) my head hurts . It makes me not want to continue the medication. So I don't know what I am to do ."

Katness0000 June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was very worried about taking these after reading the reviews on here, but I've had no side effects apart from dark urine. I've been taking 400mg twice a day, I'm on my 6th day and the smell went away on my 3rd."

hfhwood (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this medication for 3 days. 500mg twice a day for 7 days. I'm having no side effects. Although I am still experiencing a lot of discomfort like I have to pee REALLY bad most of the time. I wonder if this is one of the symptoms of BV? My urine checked out fine."

Nonickname May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had bacterial vaginitis unknowingly for two and a half years and my obgyn prescribed me 500mg of metronidazole for seven days. Now I've read alot of comments about how this didn't work or that didn't work and whilst I haven't tried all of these and every woman's body is different. I do know that most couples tend to do "it" more than once a week and I don't know if your obgyn told you this or not but if you have sex unprotected whilst taking metronidazole or flagyl it just gives the BV on him and back in YOU. Which causes the bacteria to just keep getting transferred so if you wanna get rid of it and haven't tried not having g sex then try to not have sex during the 7 days and 48 hrs after the seven days. It worked for me!"

Spicy_Noodle (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The medication definitely cleared my symptoms up but I had bad side effects. 2 days in and I was very nauseous all day and constantly having dizzy spells. My urine was like a dark yellow almost brown color. But overall it did take care of the infection. Also, make sure you take this pill with a lot of food on your stomach!!"

meggal (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi ladies! So I had BV and went to doctors to get prescription. The doctor prescribed ONE dose of 2000MG ( 4 pills of 500MG) and take it all at once!!! After day two my symptoms are GONE!!! Maybe the doctor should prescribe one dosage for BV as it's very effective!!!!!!!! Consider it"

Brittmusta May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My vagina didn't have a smell. I had heavy discharge, but it has not improved. This is day four. Maybe it will improve day five through seven. Twice a day for seven days is what I was prescribed. Taste awful and make me dizzy. Also, my urine is super dark."

Idk.... (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017