User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 30 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

"I've been on this medication for 3 days. 500mg twice a day for 7 days. I'm having no side effects. Although I am still experiencing a lot of discomfort like I have to pee REALLY bad most of the time. I wonder if this is one of the symptoms of BV? My urine checked out fine."

Nonickname May 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had bacterial vaginitis unknowingly for two and a half years and my obgyn prescribed me 500mg of metronidazole for seven days. Now I've read alot of comments about how this didn't work or that didn't work and whilst I haven't tried all of these and every woman's body is different. I do know that most couples tend to do "it" more than once a week and I don't know if your obgyn told you this or not but if you have sex unprotected whilst taking metronidazole or flagyl it just gives the BV on him and back in YOU. Which causes the bacteria to just keep getting transferred so if you wanna get rid of it and haven't tried not having g sex then try to not have sex during the 7 days and 48 hrs after the seven days. It worked for me!"

Spicy_Noodle (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The medication definitely cleared my symptoms up but I had bad side effects. 2 days in and I was very nauseous all day and constantly having dizzy spells. My urine was like a dark yellow almost brown color. But overall it did take care of the infection. Also, make sure you take this pill with a lot of food on your stomach!!"

meggal (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi ladies! So I had BV and went to doctors to get prescription. The doctor prescribed ONE dose of 2000MG ( 4 pills of 500MG) and take it all at once!!! After day two my symptoms are GONE!!! Maybe the doctor should prescribe one dosage for BV as it's very effective!!!!!!!! Consider it"

Brittmusta May 18, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My vagina didn't have a smell. I had heavy discharge, but it has not improved. This is day four. Maybe it will improve day five through seven. Twice a day for seven days is what I was prescribed. Taste awful and make me dizzy. Also, my urine is super dark."

Idk.... (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Just a piece of advice that I found to be the BEST solution to that nasty metallic taste it has, take it with orange juice. It is the only thing that 100% masks that awful taste. Don't let it touch your tongue. I tilt my head back, fill my mouth with OJ, drop the pill and swallow and I never taste it. Orange juice is a godsend for this medicine. I can't handle the taste so I refuse to take it with anything else. I mean I'm on it now and only have 2 pills left with none and almost want to skip it "

LeeannaRose May 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a good experience on this drug. I only had two side effects: Dry mouth/metallic taste & dark urine. But I did feel a bit nauseous for my very first pill. My reason for taking this medicine was cleared in 3 days, but I took it for the complete 7 days as instructed by my doctor."

Yaya2018 May 4, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have BV off and on. I never had it until a hysterectomy in my 30s . This time I was given a 7 day dose - 2 a day. I just took last pill. I still have discharge, odor...My stomach has hurt, my intestines hurt, I have thrush and yeast ...Thrush and yeast because of flagyl. Ask your doc for Tindamax. Two days of antibiotics. 8 pills Hysterectomies lead to chronic bv. I'm sick of this"

MeowOuch (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a reaction to the medication. Hive, welts, swelling, achy joints, headaches, nausea, chills and hot sweats, it knocked me down for 4 days. I did not have a good experience with metronidazole! Steroids helped me back to life. Now I have to start over."

cvwag (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Well I definitely drank the day before having to take this and nothing happened. I am not getting any of the side effects and I'm on day two. and everything is improving. Discharge isn't smelly etc."

iowaaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took this drug exactly as directed. Twice a day with a meal... yada yada... you already know how it goes. I didn't have any symptoms other than metallic taste in mouth.... however this did not clear up my BV at all. My odor and discharge wasn't bad to begin with, I've just been very itchy and very sore after sex down there. (I've been tested for everything, only one parter, he's clean and been tested too. NO STDS. Only BV) still very itchy. Nothing is working, and I'm beginning to become desperate for a cure :("

Hopeless :( (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Mostly everyone is right about the metallic taste in the mouth, cramping or discomfort in the center of the abdomen, and less appetite. Those were the same symptoms I encountered, however these are effective pills as its for a good cause. Best advice for a successful recovery would be to take medication same time twice a day, avoid alcohol, and don't have sex until your done completely. Besides who wants their significant other experiencing an unpleasant smell with a heavy discharge. Eww"

Neicy90 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just finished last pill ( metronidazole) tonight.. dr. Put me on them twice a day for 10 days. My symptoms slowly begin 2 improve around day 6 or 7. I was feeling discouraged but tonight day 10 I feel great. I suffer from recurring yeast infections as well and tonight is the first night i feel 100% symptom free! From everything but I really hope it last... and i can go back 2 normal ."

Charlee b March 30, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had BV for a while but I thought it was in response to getting the mirena IUD a few months ago. My doctor just prescribed me the 2 pills a day for 7 days of metronidazole, and my last day to take the medication is tomorrow but my symptoms have hardly improved. Maybe a little better on the smell, but still itching. I've been avoiding having sex due to some research on the internet telling me I shouldn't do so while on the medication, but had sex once and there really wasn't any pain. Hoping the symptoms will clear up but I'm feeling discouraged since I've been on the meds for 6 days now."

Sarah Larson March 28, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had to take these meds before for BV, (Had it twice in the past) and those times I've taken it, I was totally fine. But this time around? I'm in hell. My doctor prescribed 21 pills (2x a day) instead of the 14 I had in the past. The first day or two was okay, only a little nausea, which I take Ondansetron for, so that helped. But the past couple days have absolutely sucked. I've had to run to the bathroom a few times because I thought I was gonna vomit, have had abdominal cramping, dizziness, etc. I haven't taken my pills for 36 hours and I feel so much better than when I was on them. My BV symptoms feel better, but I'd rather try a different treatment to ensure it has fully gone."

Salamanders March 20, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this for BV. First tablet within 15minutes of ingesting I felt high, confused, slow and drowsy, forgetful, clumsy almost felt like a dementia patient. (Wasn't nice at all) Few hours later I started getting intense STABBING PAIN back, sides, feet, hands arms even in my neck and private bits! The pain was soo intense it made me cry out loud! Popped the second pill and I still had the side effects from first tablet apart from constantly felt like I was 360 degree spinning and off balanced on top of it all. Its been over 12 hours since I took my second pill and the side effects are still there as I'm sat writing this I feel so out of it I've rang the gp and waiting a call back as I'm scared to take the 3rd pill. Don't want it getting worse"

Sally1991 (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm on my last pill only problem I been having is with my vision & that horrible taste ugh yuck but overall it worked. I was scared 2 take it at first"

Mechiee (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm on my 3rd day of taking this medication for bacterial vaginitis and the smell is COMPLETELY gone. I was dealing with THE SMELL for like 2 weeks because I thought I was just 'off' down there. My only side effect is dark pee. Good luck women, I FEEL YOUR PAIN."

dayanna3333 March 14, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am on my 5th day of taking this pill. The first 3 days I experienced nausea, fuzzy vision, brown urine and metallic taste in my mouth. I've noticed that the discharge has been improving but the smell is still there. I'm really hoping this pill works because I can't stand the smell it's so embarrassing n uncomfortable especially since I'm sexually active."

Mkmkmk March 12, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After reading reviews on this medication I was so scared to take it because of all the negative side effects people had from it. After blowing it off for 3 weeks I finally decided it's was better for me and also the baby if I just sucked it up and took it. I DIDN'T HAVE A SINGLE SIDE EFFECT!!!!! BV can cause early labor (for the pregnant ladies). I did have a lot of discharge and my vag did have a weird smell and none of the "natural cures" on the internet worked after 24 hours on the pills the smell and discharge was gone completely. The pill is disgusting but if you take it with juice it's not horrible. My doctor stressed that eating a heavy meal with this pill was a must if I didn't want the side effects I haven't had BV since"

Pink93 March 10, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Wanted to say that this medication works, as long as you take it for how long the doc say it is for. I only got one of the side effects and I wish I rather got diarrhea or headaches. (I have chronic migraines already and gallbladder issues so nothing I haven't handled with before) But no my unfortunate butt had to get vaginal itching, which in my opinion is the worst. I brought cream for it and baby powder and nothing is working. I just took my last pill this evening so hopefully once it has cleared out of my system then that will go away. Cause being a college student with that problem has got to be the hardest thing to ever hide."

C.W (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Prescribed This for BV. 500mg, 1pill 2x a day for 7 days. This medicine does have an awful taste to it but it works. I saw improvement the 2nd day I was on it. I try to take it with some type of juice and it's not that bad."

Smith91 (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Prescribed 500mg twice daily for BV. Experience wasn't too bad the first couple days, but then I started feeling extremely tired and had no motivation whatsoever. I also had a severely low mood that felt like a severe bout of PMS (even though it was nowhere near that time of the month). After 3 days, I noticed my hand being numb when I got out of bed; it went away throughout the day. The 4th day, same deal, except this time my arm was still numb at noon. Went to the clinic that prescribed this and they told me to stop taking it, and they said hopefully I had taken enough for my bv symptoms to be cleared up. I started taking probiotic caplets when I stopped the medication in hopes it will boost the good bacteria in the meantime."

LittleTeapot March 4, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I decided to share my experience, because when I first read the reviews, they almost scared me into not taking them. I was prescribed 500mg, twice a day, for seven days. I completed day two today. After taking the first pill, the discharge decreased dramatically, and the smell was completely eliminated. On day two, the discharge was completely gone. I have had no side effects whatsoever. The reviews scared me so bad that I seriously considered not even taking them. I am not used to taking medicine other than Motrin. I drink less than once a year, so I'm not sure if that played a part in the lack of side effects or not. I am going to complete the seven day treatment, but it's just day two, and all of my symptoms are gone."

Love it!!! (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The side affects from this drug are AWFUL. It makes me feel sick to my stomach, I have constant headaches, a loss of appetite, a metallic taste in my mouth (the medicine itself tastes disgusting and is chalky), makes my pee very dark almost a brown color, and makes me feel very weak and weird. However, despite all of the harsh side affects, this drug does work. This is my 3rd time getting BV and each time this drug has made it go away after 3-4 days. This drug sucks, but I rather deal with the side affects than a smelly/icky vagina."

bbygirlllllll (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2017