User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 30 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

"Today is my third day with flagyl for BV. I do have a weird taste in my mouth, when I brush my teeth and eat. To prevent yeast infection I eat yogurt, and take a probiotic powder packet that's fizzy and you mix into water like an emergen-c packet. I also wear long dresses and nightgowns around the house without undies to help with air flow which heals and prevents yeast infections. It's my health and going commando , taking flagyl, and drinking water to dilute the concentrated urine, all have been helpful in stopping side effects."

MandersR September 25, 2016

"Reading these reviews freaked me out. I took the 2000mg single dose (5 x 400mg tablets). I had a slice of toast with peanut butter and the filled my mouth with a sweet drink and didn't let the tablets touch my tongue. No taste at all other than the drink. No nausea. Nothing. Went to bed, woke up, BV gone. Happy days."

Lolsasif September 22, 2016

"I would NOT recommend this crap to my worst enemy! I've never taken medicine that made me as sick as I am. I was prescribed metroniazole to take twice a day for 7 days. It cause very bad headaches/mild fever, horrible taste to cold drinks/foods, vomitting nearly 12 hours straight, nausea, diarrhea ugh!! I'm on day 6 can I honestly can't wait until my last day tomorrow. It also caused a yeast infection. I just feel horrible like why do they even have this medication on the market? Idk how I'm going to take my 2nd dose for day 6 cause I feel too queasy. I just wanna get back to my normal self I'm restless!"

Jj2525 September 8, 2016

"I've never had BV before, so when I got this medication I was relieved thinking it'll be gone in no time. Well I was fine the first day I took it, with slight nausea. Second day I felt more nauseated. This is my third day and this morning when I took it... I was soooo dizzy heading to my classes I thought I was going to pass out. I also felt so sick from the time I got up and worsened after I took the medication. I have been shaky all day, still feel sick and dizzy. I also have this awful taste in my mouth along with a dry mouth. I am going to continue to take it because it seems to help but it's either too strong for me or I am just one unlucky gal that gets the side effects."

maylp (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2016

"Went to dr for annual check up was told I had BV. I figured something was up due to odor during intimacy. Was prescribed the pill to take for 7 days 2 pills a day. On the 2nd day I felt good. No side effects!"

Anonymous September 5, 2016

"This medication is horrible. I've taken Flagyl many times to deal with chronic BV and have noticed that if your even a half hour late with your dosage, the medication stops working entirely and BV comes back with a vengeance. It is imperative to take it at about the exact same time everyday. I experience the odd taste. Everyone says it tastes metallic, but it tastes like chicken to me. I get nauseous sometimes with this and my urine turns dark. But definitely one of the worst medications to treat BV with."

Vanessa Ives September 3, 2016

"A little advice on taking METRONIDAZOLE OR FLAYGL pills.. Put a little juice or milk in your mouth (just enough to puddle in the back) HOLD YOUR NOSE AND drop the pill in the back of your throat then take another drink of milk or juice and swallow hard... Putting the milk in your mouth will ensure the pill won't stick to your tongue and leave a very unpleaseant residue and taste. Holding your nose will mute the taste of the pill because you need your nose to taste... Hope this helps"

VaggyGal (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2016

"Tastes so bad! I make sure I drink before I take it and every time it gets stuck in my mouth and leaves the worst after taste I've ever had"

Lisaraee September 1, 2016

"I took this as the 500mg for 7 days. Luckily, I had no serious side effects. I get nauseous easily and was reluctant to take it. A few times after taking the pill I felt nausea setting in, but I made sure to eat food with each pill and the nausea disappeared. It doesn't taste great but it didn't let it sit in my mouth. I started seeing results in just a few days!"

Anonymous August 27, 2016

"After two days on this medication out of a 7 day treatment at 500mg twice a day, I noticed an improvement of my BV. However, the side effects have been pretty extreme for me. I developed an allergic reaction which gave me hives all over my body, what seems to be a throat infection as I can barely swallow and severe stiff neck. I'm actually really scared right now and going to an urgent care facilitu tomorrow morning. Overall I feel light headed, drowsy and achey all over. I stopped taking this medication after my 5th dose since my hives kept spreading and this stiff neck is super painful."

Gleny August 21, 2016

"I was prescribed this medication when my test came back positive for Gardnerella. I was already on cipro for a UTI, and when I was prescribed this my anxiety had shot up because I can't handle feeling nausea. Luckly it has treated me well! The taste is awful though! I'm on my 4th day and it did mess up my taste buds. And when I take my medication at night I seem to get a small stomach ache and dizziness. Overall it's an okay medication."

Lexis123 August 20, 2016

"I have used BV drugs twice please yeast infection in between . Still have BV ."

Louise$$50 August 18, 2016

"My Dr found BV during a regular Pap smear, I thought it was a mild case of thrush, and put me on metro 3x daily. Had headache, tiredness, occasional dizziness, sore kidneys, dark urine, loss off appetite and everything tastes kind of wrong. Worst and most unexpected is that, despite assurances that it wouldn't, it appears to be interacting with my Cymbalta and setting off panic attack and aggression. At least the BV seems to be clearing up quickly!"

MeowMinx (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2016

"FERRUS SULPHATE were the sole reason I experienced recurrent Bacterial Vaginosis over a series of years! I have found nothing online with regards to this .I had B.V after every period and would have to treat to with Metronidazole gel (which was fantastic,though as an antibiotic your body with eventually build up a resistance after prolonged repeated use.) I would also experience it mid cycle if I spotted or after intercourse (semen) as this can also affect the natural flora and P.H levels of the vagina. After trialling stopping iron and going back on it with my doctor, and the effects showed conclusive proof iron had caused my BV. I haven't had a single incident of BV since, 18 months! Put natural iron powders into food instead (spirralina)"

Ferrous Sulphate gave me B.V August 5, 2016

"It works but of course it tastes awful, also your pee will be dark and have a smell so drink plenty of water. Discharge is normal since it's cleaning all the bacteria. Make sure you replenish the good bacteria by eating yogurt or using probiotic suppositories."

Ray1smh August 3, 2016

"I knew for a while that something was off down there. I suspected BV, and went and asked my doctor for the antibiotic. I am VERY sensitive to most medications, which typically cause me intense nausea. So I was very nervous to try this stuff, especially after reading reviews. But I'm happy to say I've little to no side effects, aside from slight headache. However I did start with a very small dose, just to try it out. My doctor told me to take 500 mg (two pills) a day with food. But the first day, I only took half of a pill (about 125mg) just to see how it went down. No problems. Day two I took the full dose, no problems and BV symptoms are almost gone. Coated my pill in peanut butter as per my doctors suggestion, and have yet to taste it."

Lindssss August 1, 2016

"I took the 7 day dose worked really well went away but now it's back again "

Anonymous July 31, 2016

"I was given he the one time dose of 2000 mg to take at once. I had the pills a full 5 days before I said screw this fishy smell and milky discharge and just crushed them and downed them with milk. Truth, the taste is HORRIBLE!! Death in a pill! However, I had NONE of the deathly experiences so many of you have described. A little nausea and dizziness. The slightest though.. Like the kind u get from being too hot for too long. Nothing major. But it's been 12 hours now and the discharge AND fishy smell is GONE!! I'm mad I hadn't taken them already now, because I could be back to my regular, clear discharge. But I recommend it!!!"

Anonymous_8810 July 29, 2016

"took my first tablet this morning and then headed off to work, worst day of my life, I couldn't concentrate, my whole body hurt I was dry heaving all day felt as if I needed to throw up but couldn't ... I hope this is all worth it i really do :(("

absolutelynotttt July 27, 2016

"The medicine works. But of course the after taste is the worst. It leaves a horrible taste on your tongue that alters the taste of everything you eat. I also felt sick at times. Nausea, and stomach ache. Though it was because I was consuming with my iron pills but even when I stopped that for awhile it still remained. But over all it works. Just have to get over the after taste and nausea. And water doesn't necessarily help."

StephanieB123456789 (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

"This stuff works really good, had no side effects. But let me tell you, it tastes SO BAD. I'd eat before taking it, would chug it with water. You're going to instantly want to puke it out the second it touches your tongue. Horrible aftertaste. I suggest using maybe juice instead of water to mask the taste. Drink lots afterwards too, that taste doesn't leave your mouth"

JP97 July 25, 2016

"This medicine has the worst side effects. If ever needing treatment again the gel will be the only option. No matter if you eat with, before, or after taking medication it makes you feel absolutely horrible. I also believe it overrides your birth control if you're on it cycle came early. Nauseous daily, tired daily, apetitite loss for sure indescribable taste left in mouth just all around a horrible experience. 7days of pure suffering."

NotbNo More July 19, 2016

"I was dreading taking this medication as I've read so many awful reviews, but for me I really had no side effects other than dark urine. They do taste awful so I put water in my mouth first then dropped the tablet in and swollowed, and didn't taste a thing. I also took optibac probiotics for those on antibiotics which can help with side effects if you have any. Well worth taking."

Becky boo (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

"I got proscribed 500mg for 7 days and this is my second day taking it. The pharmacist told me if I ate with it I should be okay for nausea but no matter how I eat with it I feel so sick the rest of the day. Every time I eat I feel like throwing up, and I'm losing my appetite. It's a good medicine but it makes me feel horrible."

MylittleRex July 15, 2016

"My doctor gave me 500 mg of Metronidazole which was about four pills to take as a single dose. I went to the doctor after finding out my guy has been having unprotected sex with another woman as well as myself. I think maybe it threw off my Ph balance. I also had a UTI but so far it seems like it worked. I won't know for sure for two weeks when I go back for my other STD test results. I hope it is gone but I didn't experience any side effects."

Poe Doe July 8, 2016