User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 30 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

"Well I'm sorry to hear all the side effects people have had over this nasty tasting pill. BUT I'm on day 6 and I feel fine. Last night I began to feel a little nauseous but nothing too bad. I am taking this pill for BV after discovering I had an early miscarriage. (I'm being monitored) So, the nausea can really just be from some left over hormones. Overall, the worst thing about this pill is the taste. My advice is take drink it with something other than Water! And take it at the same time each day :)"

Metronidazole every 12 hrs January 16, 2017

"So I have been reading on here about how this drug has done everyone else and needless to say I hate this drug . It gives you a nasty taste in your mouth. I have thrown up a couple of times . It gives me horrible cramps . I thought that maybe the meds wasn't working from how I'm feeling but maybe they are . My first day I took 1 pill then the next 12 hours I took another 1 . I did that for 2 days . Then my doc told me to take 4 at the same time . I wasn't sure if I heard her right so I took 2 at the same time every 12 hours on 3rd day . I feel horrible . My cramps are on 10! . So I think I'm going to finish this meds the way its says and then hopefully never have to take this again . Cause I hate this meds with a passion ."

Lucyee January 14, 2017

"I'm on day 3 and taking one pill a day, because 2 has been extreme side effects and I still have to work. It would have been nice to be warned about side effects. Day one there was nausea, day 2 was nausea, severe headache, dizziness, increased anxiety( already have it & got worse...yay), thick discharge, really swollen and painful throat glands, body aches(low back), fatigue and tingling in hands. Took me at least an hour to fall asleep last night, when it usually takes 15-30. Thankfully, I've got my medical marijuana prescription and that has helped A LOT. I have a copper IUD, hoping this isn't the cause of my BV, because I'm 31 and have never had it this bad before. Got the IUD about a year ago. Hope I never have to take this medication."

Rluff85 (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2017

"I didn't have any of these symptoms my appetite has increased if anything I drank plenty water the smell and discharge has finally went away I took four pills a day but were only suppose to take two I was informed not to drink alcohol while on the antibiotic but I drink a lot and wanted to finish it fast also had a yeast infection on top of having BV so immediately after I'm done taking the antibiotics I have to take a yeast infection pill all this came from douching. NEVER DOUCHE & NEVER use scented soaps on your private area the smell and discharge is horrible and it would smell fishy when I was fresh out the shower"

princess tikahh January 12, 2017

"I took a one time large dose of 2 grams about a week ago. The next day I had the metallic taste in my mouth, but not so bad I couldn't ignore it. Day three started all my problems. Horrible nausea, fatigue, and trouble sleeping. It seems to get better after a few days but it's back. I feel like my system has just had it. I can't eat anything without feeling so sick. Probably going to head back to my doctor to try to sort this out. Long story short, I'm a week since the dosage and my side effects are crippling. It did get rid of everything, but I'll never take it again."

AKR1712 January 12, 2017

"I was diagnosed with BV, I am on my 3d day of taking metronidazole, I have no improvements whatsoever, its seems like its getting even worse. But I got side effects from this antibiotic within hours after taking the first pill. Cramping, nausea. Lost my appetite on second day, feeling really depressed at this point. My throat feels sore, eyes feel dry, feel fatigue but can't sleep cause of itching, burning and abdominal pain. When do you suppose to see the improvements from this medicine? My doctor told me to give it another day, but I am feeling hopeless."

Dana 22 January 9, 2017

"Day 1 on these meds was euphoric. Day 2 was normal and by day 3 I was unable to move I was so sick. I found all these reviews as I laid on my couch crying. It really helped to know I wasn't alone (thanks!). I had stomach like flu symptoms: aching, numbness, dizziness, nausea, a horrible stomach ache, and no appetite. I'd have to give myself a pep talk before swallowing each pill. But I survived. With some proactive measures the effects weren't as bad. And the problem is gone. Here's what worked for me: Take the pills with a monstrously big meal. Hard to do when you're nauseous. No alcohol at all but also no fermented foods: kombucha, pickles, soy sauce, cooking wine (best to stay away from Chinese food), and vinegar. Get tons of rest. <3"

Bv no more (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2017

"Everything I've read about metronidazole and BV is that after 2 or 3 days you start feeling better. But I'm on day 5 and still have burning. I haven't drank any alcohol, haven't had sex, and haven't missed a pill. I know I still have two more days but I'm getting nervous. Anyone else have this happen?"

Abcde10987 January 8, 2017

"I got prescribed flagyl 500 x daily. Just started .. I don't feel any nausea or taste in my mouth. Actually odor is slightly eliminated, burning gone just pressure on my vulva when peeing. I really feel that taking probiotics with it works wonders..and the big plus is not getting a yeast infection after done with the antibiotics. What doctors don't tell you is you can get both BV and Yeast infection at same time. Hope this helps ladies!! Good luck to all."

cindt (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2017

"I was prescribed this medication for BV. My prescription was to take the pill 2x a day for 7 days. It is now day 8 and I still have about 5 pills left to take. This pill has given me hell. The first pill I took had no side effects, the second gave me EXTREME nausea and by the third pill I found myself running to the restroom to throw up. I have limited my dosage of taking this pill (1 pill everyday or every other day) because the side effects are too extreme. I am extremely tired and drowsy and my body feels too weak and distracts me while I am working. However, the smell was gone day two after starting the treatment. To say the least this pill works but comes with horrible side effects! Take w a big meal."

Jazlynn January 5, 2017

"Was very nervous to start the treatment after reading the reviews on the website. However, my sister was on Matrondazole a week before me and had no symptoms so I thought I would be fine. And turns out, the symptoms were not that bad. First day of antibiotics I felt very sleepy and almost out of it. That went away by day 2 but I still had slight chest pain about 30 minutes after taking a pill each day. By the end of the 7 day treatment, I lost weight and felt so much better. The symptoms of bacterial vaginosis were gone by day 2 and I was thrilled. The worst part was not being able to consume alcohol for 10 days especially during the holiday season. Not being able to drink was still better than BV. I recommend"

kpoakfsdjf (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2017

"Taking 500mg twice a day for 7 days. With what seems to be chronic BV (no odor but itching/irritation and constant INSANE amounts of discharge) this is only the second time I've been on it. The first time, I never finished it because it was to the point if I even opened my mouth I would throw up! This time around (I'm only on day 2), I've completely lost my appetite. The very first pill I took, I got very light-headed - almost high - and I haven't eaten in 2 days but I'm sitting on the toilet for half an hour, the itchy/irritation almost seems to be getting worse (does it get worse before it can get better??) and I've gother awkward tingly feelings"

Chrisssy (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

"Second time taking this anabiotic, first time it wasn't bad at all. No symptoms for me. This time on the 4th or 5th day I woke with a headache then the nausea on top of all that I can't sleep at night I'm usually knocked out around 10ish for work in wide awake, like no sleep is in my future lol don't mean to laugh but gotta cheer up some how. I also have no appetite, & it's not because of the nausea. Not sure what's different this time, but I don't ever want to go through this again, restless nights so tired & can't sleep. Not cool at all!! But I found a remedy take some Pepto-Bismol it coats your stomach & will help with the nauseous feeling a lot. It helped me & I had to make myself eat even though I had no appetite Hope this was some help"

Mzmookd January 3, 2017

"I have been prescribed this medication several times ( unfortunately) due to reoccurring BV ( from which I have been suffering since I got an IUD ,which I am having removed and my tubes tied) I would say over the last 3 years I have had to take it approximately 6-7 times and am now currently on day 3 of a living nightmare. While I have taken it before I had mild side effects mainly nausea and fatigue, with my symptoms starting to clear day 2 ish. However, this time I have never felt so ill. My muscles ache I can't sleep but am dead tired Brushing my teeth triggers me to vomit because I am so horribly nauseous. I don't know what the difference is this time but my symptoms have yet to start subsiding as well."

Only name not taken January 2, 2017

"Took this pill for BV for 7 days. First few days was fine. I'm now on day 5 and the side effects hit me. I'm so nauseous and can hardly eat anything. I'm constantly tired and I can barely sleep. I keep waking up in the middle of the night which I never do. My lower back is aching. My whole body aches but especially my lower back. It cleared up my BV but the side effects are awful."

Thismademefeelcrummy101 (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2016

"I was prescribed Metronidazole 500 MG 1 tablet every 12 hours for 7 days. Didn't work for me. Symptoms never even seemed to lessen while I was taking the medication. Then I read that it could take a few days for symptoms to disappear. Well I finished 12/17 and today is 12/29, still having a lot of discharge. Calling my new ObGyn today to get to the bottom of this. All this happened during my search for a new ObGyn LOL, sure hope the new one prescribes me something that works!"

Mama808 (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

"I was prescribed 500 metronidazole 14 days it has been awful with all the nausea ,constipation, back pain, neck pain ,lightheadedness ,sore throat feels like your throat swelling. It gets better, that is some of the symptoms do. My urine isn't as dark as it was when I started I don't have itching anymore I don't I still have a slight discharge it's not always apparent. But I still have lower abdomen pain and I'm not sure what that's all about. Soon as I'm out of this medicine I'm going to go to my doctor try to get into my gynecologist for a check up . Just a note ,we should have all been taking probiotics ."

ms.Claus December 29, 2016

"On the twice a day for 7 days, by the end of the second day I got a horrible headache while working out at the gym. I rarely get headaches so I attribute it to the med. I also have loss of appetite and periodic Nausea. The worst is this damn headache that I have had since last night and is still lingering tonight. Hopefully it will go away tomorrow but I cannot wait until I complete the dosage. I'm not gonna quit early bc I don't want to have to take this again."

Metro for BV INFECTION (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

"I've been taking this drug since Friday...god! I thought I was alone with these effects..my head feels like it's always swaying..I have this weird taste in my mouth..so I can't eat with it..and I feel like crying..cause I have to eat to be better..my stomach is in the worse pain imaginable...and I discharge brown color on the third day..doesn't help that I have my period as well..my boyfriend trying to help me eat..with another form of medication..it helps....and sometimes helps me sleep..I haven't yet figured out if my bv is gone..cause it is the holidays...I'm glad to say that the smell is gone..and I'm no longer itchy..but everytime I take that pill I countdown the days when I done.."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2016

"Oh man. Like everyone else, I'm having terrible terrible nausea and extreme fatigue. I was prescribed 500mg 2x a day. I'm on day 5 and thinking I'll just stop at this point. The side effects are too extreme. Haven't actually thrown up but certainly feel the urge to. If you have a sensitive stomach like myself, I would recommend finding another treatment if at all possible. I'm on 3 different drugs for the BV so I can't accurately say if this is working. With the extreme side effects I would sure hope so."

Anonymous December 21, 2016

"An absolute nightmare. Within 24 hours of starting the drug I had the worst, WORST stomach cramping and flu-like symptoms including back and neck stiffness, nausea, and a terrible headache. It made me constipated the first two days and on the third I had diarrhea. I made it into the 4th day of treatment and called my doctor to say I couldn't take it any longer. She said my BV may have cleared by that point and it had, luckily. After stopping treatment it took another 2 days to feel human again. I will NEVER take this drug again. If you have to, you'd better have a job that will allow you to work from home for the entire course of treatment. Again, a nightmare."

Diane D. December 19, 2016

"500mg 2x day for 7 days. Im on day 7 today and I haven't had any weird side effects besides a weird taste in my mouth and my anxiety has been a little crazy. I ended up getting horrible diarrhea and nausea so bad that I had to sit for hours contemplating if I wanted to take my last pill tonight. I did and it seems as if the diarrhea started back up. Thank goodness its my last day! Blechhhhh"

Lalacircles (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2016

"I've been taking metronidazole the 7 day pill for BV and this is the 1st time I've been prescribed this medication. This is my 4th day taking this pill and my 4th day has been my absolute worst. Nausea, gas, stomach cramping, & my urine was extremely dark this morning. But it's working great & hopefully this is the last I have to take this"

nena c December 11, 2016

"I'm on day 3, have had a glass of wine the past couple of days and have not had any crazy drug interactions? I felt a little hot sweat but that's it! I'm hopeful I'll be completely fine. I only have 2 more days to go."

Jessica from the bay December 10, 2016

"I was diagnosed with Bacterial vaginosis about a week ago during my pelvic exam. I noticed for a while the symptoms of an unusual discharge and uncomfortable odor especially during my period. Well anyways I was prescribed to take metrodizanole twice daily orally for 7 days each pill 500mg. I haven't had any major side affects but felt extremely tired during the whole time taking this medication. So far the fishy smell is gone and my discharge seems to be just normal. Nonetheless I will follow up with my obgyn if everything is cured and gone."

Keekerz December 8, 2016