User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

"This medicine made me feel like I had a hangover. I was tired, irritable, and my head felt like it was in a vice, and I had some nausea. I don't know that I'll even want to use this if my BV comes back. Terrible medication. I can't work out or concentrate. I feel better if I'm drinking some thing or eating constantly. Ug...yuck"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Only day 3 of taking three Flagyl a day. Seems to be clearing up infection very rapidly. Only 2 side effect symptoms that are bothersome particularly whilst trying to work is - Massive headaches really painful and fatigue. Feel very cold after taking tablet as well. Happy to put up with that as long as infection clears up"

Razey September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed two 250mg taken twice a day for seven days and I somehow managed to take it for four days and a half, big side effects after taking the last two made me stop it. The taste is awful which was expected but it stayed in my mouth until the fifth day I had stopped it plus I do not swallow pills so I ate them (with bread on it then icing to help swallow - only lost 1 because of swallowing the wrong way so was choking)! It ruined my tongue (looks like fur is on it)! Started this morning another antibiotic after five days of stopping this demonic pill (was too weak from it to start the other sooner)."

shumibiggi (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I want to share my experience to calm some of you women down that are scared to take this medicine. Lets start by saying I have a medication phobia. I'm always assuming the worst is going to happen when I start a new medication. I'm the biggest hypochondriac. I'm not even exaggerating when I say this.... I stared at this medication for 3 months before I finally took it because of the bad reviews I read. They kept making me procrastinate on taking it. My doctor prescribed me 500 mg of metronidazole twice daily for seven days. I finally got the nerve to take it. The first day I had a TINY bit of nausea and after that no side effects at all! By day three my symptoms were gone! So I'm now on day four and everything is still good with no side effects."

Kenzie_Kenz1996 (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had to take this for a week straight 2x day, makes your body super tired, diarrhea, loss of appetite... slightly irritable, dry mouth, upset stomach ( cramps ) also back and thigh pain. All in all it seems to be working on my lady parts. Good Luck to anyone else!!"

Miamia242424 September 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication has made me so tired. I've also been getting pregnancy like stomach spasms and a burning foot. Only 1 day left thank goodness."

Helen99999 September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I rated this medicine a 6 because I can't say it worked. I am not saying it didn't but I never had itching or really foul smell with BV, so if it went away (which I'm sure it did since I just took my last dose) I didn't notice a big difference. Now the side effects are really noticeable. I have never been sensitive with medication side effects but I seemed to have gotten a lot of the "rare" symptons, dark urine, metallic taste, different kind of discharge (no smell) fast or skipping heartbeat, dizziness, a little disoriented (light headed), nausea and tired. I would not like to take this medicine again. Was prescribed 2xday for 7 days 500 mg "

Ejv (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had BV for about two months, I just went to the doctors a couple weeks ago about it because I didn't think the symptoms were something to worry about. Anyways I went to the doctors they did a couple tests and the doctor said to try over the counter first, so I did and that worked because I haven't had the odour or discharge since. I got the test results back and it said I did have BV so she gave me a prescription for this. 500mg twice a day for a week. This is my first day, I'm always skeptical taking any medication because of the side effects but so far so good. I'm kinda bloated, have darker urine and sometimes feel a little lightheaded but other than that good. Don't worry!"

Sara Jane M September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I give this medicine a 10 because it works. I've never had BV until I got on my mirena IUD that I had taken a out a few months ago but I still get BV. This is my first time taking this (500mg) 2x7days. The smell was gone the next day, discharge gone after day 2. I am on day 7 I experienced fatigue I slept a lot. I was irritable, it was hard for me to focus in class, I felt bloated, very dark urine, and got slight headaches. EVERYONES body reacts differently my symptoms were not extremely bad, but I am glad its my last day cause I'm tired of being tired all day lol"

CeeceeNichole (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I wasn't going to write a review on this but I thought I should to give a reason for women to relax! I was given Metronidazole, 500mg twice a day for 7 days for BV. After reading these reviews, I was terrified to take this antibiotic. I was suppose to take it on a Thursday but was so terrified of everyone's experiences on it that I started it a day late. I feel foolish for reading to into other reviews. I just finished my second day and I haven't had any of the terrifying side effects that most of these other women on here have had. The only thing I have, which isn't a big deal compared to the symptoms most of the women stated, is slight diarrhea. Key word; SLIGHT. Don't freak out by others experience! And it's already working with my BV!"

LeighJ September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this for BV and it's been mostly fine. I'm just really bloated and it can get uncomfortable, also inconvenient to have to fart ALL the time."

Meggles September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My GYN prescribed me 500MG every 12 hours for 7 days. When I picked it up, the pharmacist warned me that it could cause nausea. The first two days I felt kind of sick, I had pretty severe upper abdominal pain and it lasted for hours, I felt like if I ate I would throw up. The third day I threw up twice and noticed that my urine was very dark, despite me staying very hydrated. Tonight I will take my last dose and I could not be happier. I have thrown up six times in the past week and spent hours in agonizing pain laying on my side hoping it would go away, it only ever felt better when I threw up. I definitely don't recommend staying on this medication for a long period of time, but it has effectively taken care of the bacterial infection."

Reef1123 August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"On day 5 of 500mg/twice a day for a week and it cleared up my discharge/smell/itchiness within two days so it definitely works. These comments terrified me when I read them the day I got prescribed this medication but my side affects haven't been as severe as these. I've had the unpleasant taste in my mouth nonstop, even with taking the pill with juice and not letting it touch my tongue. Had cramps and nausea on day 3, but I also didn't take it with as much food as I normally have been. The last two days I've had severe fatigue and exhaustion to the point of almost being unable drive my car. Overall, the worst side affects I've ever had to a medication but they are tolerable if you follow the instructions exactly as prescribed!"

BonBon2921 (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Omg I was prescribed this antibiotics and my stomach pain is the worst and I'm only on day 2 worst week ever never again"

Wendt August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking a 500 mg pill twice a day for 4 days now and the side effects are really awful. Today at work I got really dizzy and had to sit down because I I felt completely off balance and so so so sick. I've also noticed feeling sleepy- which I'm not a good sleeper lately as it is but despite taking a long nap today I woke up feeling not any more rested. I never take the pharmacist's warnings super seriously because I've had rather good luck in the past with common meds like this agreeing with my body okay. But I should've really listened to her warning about eating when taking it and drinking extra water. I just feel sort of disoriented in general too- past just being sleepy. I'm surprised at all of this, thought it was a normal med"

Aliceclouds August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It's day 3 and I am feeling like death. I woke up feeling like I had the flu; I took a shower because I thought it would help me ease my muscle pains but it mostly just hurt to stand under the water. The first 2 days weren't AS bad, I had mild headaches and slight nausea, fatigue, and diarrhea. But today I have been napping all day. I'm a bit annoyed that my doctor didn't warn me of the side effects ahead of time. I ended up calling and they told me "a lot of people say that the antibiotics are more painful than the thing they treat. It's known to have very severe side effects." Gee, thanks. I just woke up from a nap with an unbearable headache that I almost decided to go to the ER. Overall worst medication I've ever taken."

Erin B August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had BV off and on for the last 2 years or so . I've found short term effects in OTC treatments such as "VH Essentials" but nothing lasts. Back in May I went to the Dr and was prescribed the gel form . once a day for five days . after one use the smell was gone, unfortunately it only lasted a couple months . I left the doc yesterday with the pill form. Twice a day for 7 days (500 mg total) I am on day two and must say the side effects are pretty bad . I've been nauseated since yesterday with an undesirable headache . The smell seems to be gone , however I'm unsure how these next five days will go . "

Shhhushhhhhhhh August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've just finished a course of 3 per day and seems to have worked. It reduced smell and discharge within a day so very effective. I took all tablets with food but struggled to make it to 3 tablets a day as this has terrible side effects. Nausea, cramping, dizziness, loss of interest in food, feeling emotional and dark urine. I was so worried about the dark urine and apparently this is rare but reading other comments I think anything but rare!"

Over the side effects (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Day 6 of metronidazole for BV today. Only side effect has been dark/smelly urine. After my very first dose I noticed an improvement in my symptoms. However I am not yet symptom free, with only one day of treatment left, which is concerning to me. Also I have to say it's an awful tasting pill. I can barely swallow it with food, I can't imagine taking it with just water. All in all it's been a relatively uneventful treatment process, and I think I could handle a second course. But the fact that I seem to need one is a bit of a disappointment."

Not dying (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"#YUUUKKKK,flagy, awful awful taste....they need to make those pills with flavors."

Nothsnks (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Day 3 of taking this drug. First day my discharge was heavy & made my underwear soaked. I'm definitely more tired this week than usual. Day 3 the smell is gone & the discharge has cleared up. Found red itchy bumps on right wrist. The "metal taste" is there but it goes away quickly when you drink water right after. I take this medicine in the evening at the same time every day so it works. Nothing to complain about."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had to take 2 g the 1st day and 2 g the second day. Just took the second dose of pills and I feel funny. My head is feeling weird and I feel sleepy. Had dark urine and a bad taste in my mouth - my tongue looks unhealthy too. But damn my vagina is feeling the bomb again. Smell went away right away. Btw I get BV when I am together with a person I don't wanna be with. Just a hint to some baby girls out there. Do you really like him? Cause sometimes the body answers the question for you. Deep. I know."

everynameistaken August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I see a lot of people complaining of nausea. This medicine will make you ill if you don't eat with it. That's why it states on the bottle take with food. This medication has its ups and downs but it has been effective for me in the past. Though some times it causes me a yeast infection (probiotics helps with that). The metallic taste is probably the worst part for me. This round though I'm on day two, pill 3 and I feel like I woke up and the smell had gotten stronger. Anyone else ever experience that? That and cramps are the only symptoms I have, I just want the smell gone! I'm wondering if it will get worse for a second before it gets better."

Brittaneelala August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Omg I have never felt so ill, metronidazole is horrible. My doctor gave me five 400mg tablets & told me to take them all together as one dose. I was violently sick Headache worse than migraine Cramp Diarrhea. I would never take them again."

GLize73 August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Holy hell I'm feeling weird. I give this medication a high review because it honestly does work but the sides effects are wild!!!!! I'm on the 6th day of 7 and just took a pregnancy test because I'm so nauseous but could be my own fault because I have only had one meal today and took both pills already so probably not the smartest, have Chinese food on the way though. Also, this is my third time getting BV... so over having a vagina. So yeah, moral of the story.... DON'T TAKE ON AN EMPTY STOMACH!!!!!!"

Vaginas suck August 15, 2017