User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 25 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

"After two days on this medication out of a 7 day treatment at 500mg twice a day, I noticed an improvement of my BV. However, the side effects have been pretty extreme for me. I developed an allergic reaction which gave me hives all over my body, what seems to be a throat infection as I can barely swallow and severe stiff neck. I'm actually really scared right now and going to an urgent care facilitu tomorrow morning. Overall I feel light headed, drowsy and achey all over. I stopped taking this medication after my 5th dose since my hives kept spreading and this stiff neck is super painful."

Gleny August 21, 2016

"I was prescribed this medication when my test came back positive for Gardnerella. I was already on cipro for a UTI, and when I was prescribed this my anxiety had shot up because I can't handle feeling nausea. Luckly it has treated me well! The taste is awful though! I'm on my 4th day and it did mess up my taste buds. And when I take my medication at night I seem to get a small stomach ache and dizziness. Overall it's an okay medication."

Lexis123 August 20, 2016

"I have used BV drugs twice please yeast infection in between . Still have BV ."

Louise$$50 August 18, 2016

"My Dr found BV during a regular Pap smear, I thought it was a mild case of thrush, and put me on metro 3x daily. Had headache, tiredness, occasional dizziness, sore kidneys, dark urine, loss off appetite and everything tastes kind of wrong. Worst and most unexpected is that, despite assurances that it wouldn't, it appears to be interacting with my Cymbalta and setting off panic attack and aggression. At least the BV seems to be clearing up quickly!"

MeowMinx (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2016

"FERRUS SULPHATE were the sole reason I experienced recurrent Bacterial Vaginosis over a series of years! I have found nothing online with regards to this .I had B.V after every period and would have to treat to with Metronidazole gel (which was fantastic,though as an antibiotic your body with eventually build up a resistance after prolonged repeated use.) I would also experience it mid cycle if I spotted or after intercourse (semen) as this can also affect the natural flora and P.H levels of the vagina. After trialling stopping iron and going back on it with my doctor, and the effects showed conclusive proof iron had caused my BV. I haven't had a single incident of BV since, 18 months! Put natural iron powders into food instead (spirralina)"

Ferrous Sulphate gave me B.V August 5, 2016

"It works but of course it tastes awful, also your pee will be dark and have a smell so drink plenty of water. Discharge is normal since it's cleaning all the bacteria. Make sure you replenish the good bacteria by eating yogurt or using probiotic suppositories."

Ray1smh August 3, 2016

"I knew for a while that something was off down there. I suspected BV, and went and asked my doctor for the antibiotic. I am VERY sensitive to most medications, which typically cause me intense nausea. So I was very nervous to try this stuff, especially after reading reviews. But I'm happy to say I've little to no side effects, aside from slight headache. However I did start with a very small dose, just to try it out. My doctor told me to take 500 mg (two pills) a day with food. But the first day, I only took half of a pill (about 125mg) just to see how it went down. No problems. Day two I took the full dose, no problems and BV symptoms are almost gone. Coated my pill in peanut butter as per my doctors suggestion, and have yet to taste it."

Lindssss August 1, 2016

"I took the 7 day dose worked really well went away but now it's back again "

Anonymous July 31, 2016

"I was given he the one time dose of 2000 mg to take at once. I had the pills a full 5 days before I said screw this fishy smell and milky discharge and just crushed them and downed them with milk. Truth, the taste is HORRIBLE!! Death in a pill! However, I had NONE of the deathly experiences so many of you have described. A little nausea and dizziness. The slightest though.. Like the kind u get from being too hot for too long. Nothing major. But it's been 12 hours now and the discharge AND fishy smell is GONE!! I'm mad I hadn't taken them already now, because I could be back to my regular, clear discharge. But I recommend it!!!"

Anonymous_8810 July 29, 2016

"took my first tablet this morning and then headed off to work, worst day of my life, I couldn't concentrate, my whole body hurt I was dry heaving all day felt as if I needed to throw up but couldn't ... I hope this is all worth it i really do :(("

absolutelynotttt July 27, 2016

"The medicine works. But of course the after taste is the worst. It leaves a horrible taste on your tongue that alters the taste of everything you eat. I also felt sick at times. Nausea, and stomach ache. Though it was because I was consuming with my iron pills but even when I stopped that for awhile it still remained. But over all it works. Just have to get over the after taste and nausea. And water doesn't necessarily help."

StephanieB123456789 (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

"This stuff works really good, had no side effects. But let me tell you, it tastes SO BAD. I'd eat before taking it, would chug it with water. You're going to instantly want to puke it out the second it touches your tongue. Horrible aftertaste. I suggest using maybe juice instead of water to mask the taste. Drink lots afterwards too, that taste doesn't leave your mouth"

JP97 July 25, 2016

"This medicine has the worst side effects. If ever needing treatment again the gel will be the only option. No matter if you eat with, before, or after taking medication it makes you feel absolutely horrible. I also believe it overrides your birth control if you're on it cycle came early. Nauseous daily, tired daily, apetitite loss for sure indescribable taste left in mouth just all around a horrible experience. 7days of pure suffering."

NotbNo More July 19, 2016

"I was dreading taking this medication as I've read so many awful reviews, but for me I really had no side effects other than dark urine. They do taste awful so I put water in my mouth first then dropped the tablet in and swollowed, and didn't taste a thing. I also took optibac probiotics for those on antibiotics which can help with side effects if you have any. Well worth taking."

Becky boo (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

"I got proscribed 500mg for 7 days and this is my second day taking it. The pharmacist told me if I ate with it I should be okay for nausea but no matter how I eat with it I feel so sick the rest of the day. Every time I eat I feel like throwing up, and I'm losing my appetite. It's a good medicine but it makes me feel horrible."

MylittleRex July 15, 2016

"My doctor gave me 500 mg of Metronidazole which was about four pills to take as a single dose. I went to the doctor after finding out my guy has been having unprotected sex with another woman as well as myself. I think maybe it threw off my Ph balance. I also had a UTI but so far it seems like it worked. I won't know for sure for two weeks when I go back for my other STD test results. I hope it is gone but I didn't experience any side effects."

Poe Doe July 8, 2016

"I forgot to add the headaches have been terrible as well. I'm getting them in the back of my head too which is bizarre"

Mhoyt001 July 3, 2016

"It worked very well. It cured my infection, but constant severe pelvic cramps, light headedness, dissiness and nausea were my side effects."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2016

"I have had baby since I was 17 years old and I am now 34. I've had it basically every day. I take my medicine it goes away and it comes right back the doctor told me that there is absolutely nothing he can give me to get it to clear up completely. I found that taking the medicine with milk prevent that nasty taste in your mouth It Coats your mouth and then also coach your stomach so it helps with the nausea. This is my probably 30th or 4th time taking this medicine and it seems to not be working at all this round I might have a yeast infection I don't know? But let me tell you ladies I have suffered with this for more than half my life. I get it with sex protected and unprotected and even if he pulls out I hope you girls can find something"

Tlovestar June 28, 2016

"Flagyl is one of the worst bitter taste medicine I ever got. However, it does helps me feel better after I finish a 7days course, but my first 4 days was extreme bad. Headaches, adominal pain, dry mouth, lost of taste and appetite. Worth it or not I am still not sure. But I know that it make my man have allergic reaction after sex that worried me even more."

thatMK (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2016

"I was prescribed metro after noticing a pungent smell coming from my lady area which was a symptom of bv. I was instructed 2 times a day morning and night for 7 days, on day 3 the smell was completely gone but I'm still doing the full 7 so I don't risk the symptoms returning. I eat a meal before each pill and wait 10 minutes for the food to settle before taking the pill and I haven't had any headaches, nausea or blurry visions some people have experienced. The downside is that the drug kills bad as well as the good bacteria so there's risk of a yeast infection so I've been eating yogurt daily to try and prevent that, so far I am happy with the results and on day 5. The downside of the pill is the metallic aftertaste which is really strong a"

pluvo (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

"I had BV, which I already had a feeling due to a strong 'fishy' odor, esp after intimacy. I had to take two pills for seven days. If this is your first time taking this pill, push it as far back to your throat or swallow it as fast as you can without letting it dissolve on your tongue, this pill has a very strong nasty metallic taste! Drink lots of water or w.e works. Within the second day of the course, I had no smell at all which was a huge relief! Avoid alcohol.I finished my course and I am happy to say the only main side effect was dizzyness and feeling tired. Metronidazle does not treat a yeast infection, but it can lead to one so be prepared and consider taking Diflucan as soon after to prevent or cure a yeast infection."

Anonymous June 23, 2016

"I started taking this medication when I got BV. My doctor is great and always knows best! This medication was great. No side effect besides eating less, and that's fine with me! I could lose a little weight ! =] overall satisfied , and BV is gone!"

Jodjod June 21, 2016

"A year ago I got treated for thrush. I had blood tests, swabs etc. A few months after I then started having symptoms of UTI. Again I went to the doctors and got tests done to rule out STD's. Thankfully it all came back negative. It has now been a year and I thought I was having recurrent thrush. I pushed for my 3rd lot of tests as I felt something wasn't right, (pain during intercourse and bleeding after). I have now finally been diagnosed with BV - medication 3 tabs a day for 7 days plus probiotics & Nilstat cream. It's day 2 and already I've noticed a HUGE improvement. No SE accept for slight bloating and fatigue. Fingers crossed I won't have to deal with these horrid symptoms again."

Sez182 June 17, 2016

"My BV started after unprotected sex with a new man, (more fool me!) My doc gave me 2g metronidazole as a single dose, which cleared up the BV but then it came back. Twice. I wasn't having any sex at all, never douched, no semen involved...plenty of journal articles suggest that BV can be caused by bacteria that are sexually transmitted, I think so too!! My doc gave me the 7 day course 400g 2x a day, symptoms cleared up, got a yeast infection, that's cleared up, now everything has been better for a month, so hopefully it's all behind me now, it was horrible! 2g single dose didn't work & made me feel awful for 48hrs: headache, dizzy, tired, nauseous. 400g 2x day for 7 was ok, I took it with food, avoided alcohol & felt sluggish."

Mindy_bean June 16, 2016