User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Metronidazole Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

"No side effects. Here’s how I did it: I ate about an hour before, then at the time of taking the pill I took it with a big gulp of ginger ale, (even though I don’t normally drink soda) I did this because I read that the pill tastes horrible. I am on my last day of pills and I haven’t tasted a thing since I started. Although I was prescribed this medicine without ever having symptoms of BV I truly don’t think this medication is all that bad. Please take comfort knowing that you will be fine. Just make sure you eat a bit before, have a cracker after and just continue on your way. You can also add a probiotic into your routine, which I did in between taking the 2 pills a day. Just don’t freak yourself out about the nausea and vomiting like I did! Oh and I also didn’t feel “out of it” or dizzy like some other reviews. Ultimately everyone is different so try it for a day and see how you feel. I just want to give you guys some hope :)"

Galygal June 14, 2018

"I’m always skeptical about taking new meds. Especially after reading bad reviews. But I had BV for about 6 months before I finally went to my obgyn and talked to her. I’m so glad I did. After 2 days with metronidazole, I was back to normal. And no bad side effects. A little nausea at first. But nothing that I couldn’t tolerate. And they do taste awful. But it’s well worth it!!"

Cloftis86 (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2018

"After reading the reviews I was a bit scared to take this medicine, but it seems most reviews are for the oral version. My doctor prescribed me with the gel version, once a day for five days. I am on day three, and have had zero side effects. I was having a lot of discharge that smelled terrible before, and after one gel dosage the smell completely went away. I still have two more days left, but so far have no complaints. It seems to be working great! I have been taking a probiotic as well, so I am hoping that I don't get a yeast infection like many others are saying."

BW (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2018

"I don't understand why they keep prescribing metronidazole it is a horrible antibiotic to treat a condition it does not cure. The side effects are horrible, and supposedly the oral form only kills the bad bacteria, but if that were the case, why do so many women end up with a yeast infection afterwards? If you have to use this medication, go for the metro gel and not oral antibiotic. Doctors need to stop prescribing this, and instead prescribe good quality probiotics specifically for vaginal health. I've had the most luck with specific vaginal probiotics. All proven strains to be dominant in a healthy vagina."

maz May 22, 2018

"I have BV. I'm on day two of a seven day, 500 mg twice a day regimen. I feel sick and I have a headache. I am very nauseous. I still have symptoms like itching but hopefully they will disappear."

Unsure (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2018

"Went in for my annual. Clear pap but positive for BV. I didn't have any symptoms but my Dr treated because we are trying to get pregnant. Besides a horrid taste and having to monitor all things with alcohol, mouthwash included.. I haven't had side affects or complaints."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2018

"I went for my normal gyno visit and I had no symptoms but the test came back positive for BV. Since I have no symptoms the the doctors normally don't treat they said because it can go away on it own if no symptoms. However because I'm trying to get prego they proscribed Metronidazole 500mg one tablet twice a day for 7 days. I am on day 3 and today was the first day of dark brown urine which is freaking me out a little, but no other side effects as of yet. But what I do is I take a Benadryl an hour before I take it because thats what I use for my seasonal allergies. Plus I eat about 15 to 30 mins before taking a pill and eat a little more right after taking it. I can't really tell if the pill is working because I had no symptoms to begin with. I just can't wait till I am done with the pills because I have really bad anxiety and I'm waiting to see if something major happens."

One of a kind (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2018

"I’ve taken this before without the awful side effects I’ve experienced this time. This one has been rough to say the least. I’m on the 7 day regime... how I wish I would have known about the one time 4 pills route! Started Wednesday, by Friday was feeling better and the odor was gone almost but then I started with the nausea and stomach pain. Uggg the worst. Add loose disgusting stools and complete loss of appetite by Saturday. Insomnia when you need rest is awful to say the least. Today I woke up with an excruciating headache and it’s only Sunday!! Omg I feel horrible and I’ve got 7 pills left. Shoot me."

Kiki (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2018

"I was prescribed Metronidazole 500mg 2x a day for 7 days. I have TERRIBLE headaches, eye twitching, extreme gas (flatulence), and nausea"

MG (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2018

"Cleared up my infection but landed me in the hospital. The first time I had taken this medication I had no side effects and all was well. Unfortunately after a few months my infection came back again. It was a day 10 day prescription. On day 8, I woke up at 2 am with the worst nausea and urge to vomit in my life. Within 3 mins of that realization I violently vomited everywhere and then blacked out. I was rushed to the ER and remained in the hospital the remainder of the night. Needless to say I tossed it out."

ER (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2018

"I went to get tested because I noticed a terrible change in smell and irritation. The results weren’t an STI (thank god) but it’s the first time I’ve been diagnosed with BV. The Dr prescribed 500 mg 1 in the am 1 midday and 1 at night for 7 days. The First 2 days I didn’t notice any terrible size effects. The following day I had a terrible headache, so nauseous I didn’t want to move, and extremely fatigued. I drink a gallon of water daily and eat periodically throughout the day but the side effects are becoming unbearable. The pill has a terrible taste too!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2018

"This cleared up my infection in 2 days, but every since taking it from day 2 I felt like I have some bubbles in my vagina which I need to kind of move around and wiggle to pop! Did anyone else experience this? Could these of caused a yeast infection? Thanks!"

Emma476 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2018

"This oral medication is VERY SENSATIVE TO ANY FORM OF ALCOHOL including mouthwash. So I refuse to take it and I rather use the gel form instead. I refused to take most of oral antibiotics as it goes into your bloodstream and may need 1 week or more for it to get out of your system."

Kedo (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2018

"I was prescribed metronidazole for BV (500mg 2x a day for 7 days) I’m on my 4th day and the only side effects I’ve had so far are loss of appetite, insomnia, and dark urine. I was super nervous to take this because of the reviews and how careful you have to be with avoiding alcohol. I had slight nausea one day but luckily I am proscribed Zofran for nausea so I was able to take that and it went away (if you do not have access to this, Nauzene or Benadryl could also be effective). I have been taking a probiotic every day, I always eat before I take the antibiotic and I’ve been very careful about my diet and of course avoiding alcoholic drinks. I did not really have many symptoms when diagnosed with BV so I am not sure if that has cleared up yet. Overall, my experience hasn’t been terrible but the loss of appetite and struggle sleeping have definitely been frustrating. I’m looking forward to being done with this"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2018

"I will give it a 10 because it did clear up my BV, but the side effects are the worse. I'm really nauseous, always tired, diarrhea, headaches and not to mention the bad taste it leaves in my mouth. I love water, but the taste made it hard to drink it. I would recommend taking it with milk. Didn't matter if I ate on an empty stomach or not, I still felt like garbage. And if you're sensitive like I am, a good probiotic is good to take to keep from getting a yeast infection."

Kandi (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

"I had BV 3 months ago and I took metronidazole 500mg two times a day for 7 days and it really wasn't that bad. It tasted bad with just water so I started taking it with juice and I tasted nothing. Felt slightly sick sometimes but nothing too bad . My BV was completely gone in 2-3 days but now it's back and I'm back on it again. Theres 6 types of vaginitis ..metronidazole only cures 4 so I got to wait a week for all test to come back to determine which one it is and probably be put back on a different antibiotic. So for y'all who's BV keeps coming back it might not be that it keeps coming back it's just you've never really got rid of it ... run that by ur doctor if they keep giving u the same medicine for your BV."

Meg (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2018

"I’ve had BV on and off for a while. Then I got diagnosed with asymptomatic chlamydia and once the treatment for that was done, I had BV again. I waited a few months trying natural methods but nothing worked. Began taking 500mg twice a day for 5 days. The smell was gone in about 24 hours and no discharge after 48! The only side effect is pretty dark urine otherwise I feel fine. Really hoping it’s gone for good this time."

Anonymous April 5, 2018

"Take it with apple sauce or pudding. Dip the pill inside it, put the spoon closer to the back of your mouth and swallow fast. it will get rid of the taste."

Anonymous April 2, 2018

"I gave it a 10 because it cured my BV and I really didn't experience any side effects. Luckily my doctor warned me about the taste and suggested I take it with chocolate milk or a drink that is thick so that it coats your mouth and that way you don't taste the pill at all. So my experience was pretty great only thing is one day I had a bad migraine and went to bed early and missed my second dose but my doctor told me to save it until the end since I didn't take it right away after missing it. As for my BV symptoms they were gone within 2 days so really the only struggle was remembering to take all the pills."

Kiki (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2018

"My details: 46 female healthy, normal weight, not allergic to anything, between perimenopausal and menopausal. First time experiencing slight symptoms of bacterial vaginosis possible due to the reduction of Estrogen. Laboratory Diagnosis: swab revealed moderate growth of Gardnerella vaginalis Prescribed: Zidoval Vaginal Gel Metronidazole 0.75% for 5 days/once at night before bed. Results: Cured. One month later and it has not returned. Internal discomfort went away as early as the second day of application. Side effects: NONE. No mess, no discharge, no thrush ( I took probiotic tablets during treatment and some days afterwards). Make sure you insert plungers well to administer drug and only at night just before you go to sleep."

Ekatie (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2018

"I was prescribed the single dose of this medication (four 500mg pills, taken once) for BV. I took it midday with food. I was pretty tired within an hour of taking it, so I just napped. I also experienced a bit of mild cramping, but nothing that stopped my day or required pain meds. Most of my symptoms (odor, itchiness) cleared up within the first 24hours. The discharge was gone by day 3. It was weird reading all the horrible reviews for this medication because aside from the disgusting taste of the pill going down, I was fine with it."

Sasha (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2018

"This is my first time taking this but so far its working, symptoms are clearing up and I haven't experienced any bad side effects. I make sure to eat as I take mine, usually fruit & drink water. I wait at least an hour to take 1 or 2 acidophilus pills (2 billion) per capsule to replenish the good bacteria and then I drink one bottle of water with apple cider vinegar containing ‘the mother’ to encourage good bacteria growth. Its important to replenish good bacteria that gets killed by this medicine (taking acidophilus/probiotics, drinking apple cider vinegar, and/or eating plain yogurt) during the prescribed time & for at at least a week after... otherwise the issue can return or give you yeast. Also refrain from anything with alcohol until 48 hours after you finish your prescription or you will feel ill. I'm only on day 3 of 7 and I've been prescribed 500 mg twice a day, so far so good !! Sorry to hear so many of you are experiencing bad side effects , I hope my method can help."

First Time (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2018

"I have always been sensitive to medications and I take really good care of my body when my doctor told me that I had a mild case of BV and she recommended that I take a round of antibiotics even though I didn’t show any symptoms in the first place. First came the pills, took only 3 and the nausea and my already existing vertigo problems were instant and horrible. Woke up with a horrible headache the next day and called the doctor. She then prescribed me the vaginal gel (which took $100 from my HSA) to use instead. I’m on day 3 of 5, missed work today because I’m still nauseated and dizzy. I’ve also experienced insomnia, loss of appetite, painful bloating, anal soreness, and fever. I’m now sitting up in bed exhausted and sick to my stomach all because of this junk and will likely miss another day of work if I still feel like this in the morning. If you’re sensitive like I am, and seem like many people are, avoid this garbage at all costs."

NB (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2018

"These pills are horrible I hate taking them no appetite, feel like garbage ,and it doesn’t seem to be working. I’m feeling all the side effects which sucks! I can’t wait to finish 3 more days to go. Hopefully it start working soon! I never want to take it again oh yeah I forgot to say I have this horrible taste in my mouth. Nothing seems to be helping me with the taste "

Mara March 19, 2018

"I have been on antibiotics before for a kidney infection and never experienced side effects until now.. I was told I had BV and had to take 3 of Metronidazole tablets a day for 7 days.. I feel sick all the time.. nauseous.. I’m reduced to tears with the head aches.. I have one left to take and I am actually afraid too experience more of the side effects "

Sammy (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018