User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Metronidazole Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

"I was prescribed Metronidazole 500mg 2x a day for 7 days. I have TERRIBLE headaches, eye twitching, extreme gas (flatulence), and nausea"

MG (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2018

"Cleared up my infection but landed me in the hospital. The first time I had taken this medication I had no side effects and all was well. Unfortunately after a few months my infection came back again. It was a day 10 day prescription. On day 8, I woke up at 2 am with the worst nausea and urge to vomit in my life. Within 3 mins of that realization I violently vomited everywhere and then blacked out. I was rushed to the ER and remained in the hospital the remainder of the night. Needless to say I tossed it out."

ER (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2018

"I went to get tested because I noticed a terrible change in smell and irritation. The results weren’t an STI (thank god) but it’s the first time I’ve been diagnosed with BV. The Dr prescribed 500 mg 1 in the am 1 midday and 1 at night for 7 days. The First 2 days I didn’t notice any terrible size effects. The following day I had a terrible headache, so nauseous I didn’t want to move, and extremely fatigued. I drink a gallon of water daily and eat periodically throughout the day but the side effects are becoming unbearable. The pill has a terrible taste too!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2018

"This cleared up my infection in 2 days, but every since taking it from day 2 I felt like I have some bubbles in my vagina which I need to kind of move around and wiggle to pop! Did anyone else experience this? Could these of caused a yeast infection? Thanks!"

Emma476 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2018

"This oral medication is VERY SENSATIVE TO ANY FORM OF ALCOHOL including mouthwash. So I refuse to take it and I rather use the gel form instead. I refused to take most of oral antibiotics as it goes into your bloodstream and may need 1 week or more for it to get out of your system."

Kedo (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2018

"I was prescribed metronidazole for BV (500mg 2x a day for 7 days) I’m on my 4th day and the only side effects I’ve had so far are loss of appetite, insomnia, and dark urine. I was super nervous to take this because of the reviews and how careful you have to be with avoiding alcohol. I had slight nausea one day but luckily I am proscribed Zofran for nausea so I was able to take that and it went away (if you do not have access to this, Nauzene or Benadryl could also be effective). I have been taking a probiotic every day, I always eat before I take the antibiotic and I’ve been very careful about my diet and of course avoiding alcoholic drinks. I did not really have many symptoms when diagnosed with BV so I am not sure if that has cleared up yet. Overall, my experience hasn’t been terrible but the loss of appetite and struggle sleeping have definitely been frustrating. I’m looking forward to being done with this"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2018

"I will give it a 10 because it did clear up my BV, but the side effects are the worse. I'm really nauseous, always tired, diarrhea, headaches and not to mention the bad taste it leaves in my mouth. I love water, but the taste made it hard to drink it. I would recommend taking it with milk. Didn't matter if I ate on an empty stomach or not, I still felt like garbage. And if you're sensitive like I am, a good probiotic is good to take to keep from getting a yeast infection."

Kandi (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

"I had BV 3 months ago and I took metronidazole 500mg two times a day for 7 days and it really wasn't that bad. It tasted bad with just water so I started taking it with juice and I tasted nothing. Felt slightly sick sometimes but nothing too bad . My BV was completely gone in 2-3 days but now it's back and I'm back on it again. Theres 6 types of vaginitis ..metronidazole only cures 4 so I got to wait a week for all test to come back to determine which one it is and probably be put back on a different antibiotic. So for y'all who's BV keeps coming back it might not be that it keeps coming back it's just you've never really got rid of it ... run that by ur doctor if they keep giving u the same medicine for your BV."

Meg (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2018

"I’ve had BV on and off for a while. Then I got diagnosed with asymptomatic chlamydia and once the treatment for that was done, I had BV again. I waited a few months trying natural methods but nothing worked. Began taking 500mg twice a day for 5 days. The smell was gone in about 24 hours and no discharge after 48! The only side effect is pretty dark urine otherwise I feel fine. Really hoping it’s gone for good this time."

Anonymous April 5, 2018

"Take it with apple sauce or pudding. Dip the pill inside it, put the spoon closer to the back of your mouth and swallow fast. it will get rid of the taste."

Anonymous April 2, 2018

"I gave it a 10 because it cured my BV and I really didn't experience any side effects. Luckily my doctor warned me about the taste and suggested I take it with chocolate milk or a drink that is thick so that it coats your mouth and that way you don't taste the pill at all. So my experience was pretty great only thing is one day I had a bad migraine and went to bed early and missed my second dose but my doctor told me to save it until the end since I didn't take it right away after missing it. As for my BV symptoms they were gone within 2 days so really the only struggle was remembering to take all the pills."

Kiki (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2018

"My details: 46 female healthy, normal weight, not allergic to anything, between perimenopausal and menopausal. First time experiencing slight symptoms of bacterial vaginosis possible due to the reduction of Estrogen. Laboratory Diagnosis: swab revealed moderate growth of Gardnerella vaginalis Prescribed: Zidoval Vaginal Gel Metronidazole 0.75% for 5 days/once at night before bed. Results: Cured. One month later and it has not returned. Internal discomfort went away as early as the second day of application. Side effects: NONE. No mess, no discharge, no thrush ( I took probiotic tablets during treatment and some days afterwards). Make sure you insert plungers well to administer drug and only at night just before you go to sleep."

Ekatie (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2018

"I was prescribed the single dose of this medication (four 500mg pills, taken once) for BV. I took it midday with food. I was pretty tired within an hour of taking it, so I just napped. I also experienced a bit of mild cramping, but nothing that stopped my day or required pain meds. Most of my symptoms (odor, itchiness) cleared up within the first 24hours. The discharge was gone by day 3. It was weird reading all the horrible reviews for this medication because aside from the disgusting taste of the pill going down, I was fine with it."

Sasha (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2018

"This is my first time taking this but so far its working, symptoms are clearing up and I haven't experienced any bad side effects. I make sure to eat as I take mine, usually fruit & drink water. I wait at least an hour to take 1 or 2 acidophilus pills (2 billion) per capsule to replenish the good bacteria and then I drink one bottle of water with apple cider vinegar containing ‘the mother’ to encourage good bacteria growth. Its important to replenish good bacteria that gets killed by this medicine (taking acidophilus/probiotics, drinking apple cider vinegar, and/or eating plain yogurt) during the prescribed time & for at at least a week after... otherwise the issue can return or give you yeast. Also refrain from anything with alcohol until 48 hours after you finish your prescription or you will feel ill. I'm only on day 3 of 7 and I've been prescribed 500 mg twice a day, so far so good !! Sorry to hear so many of you are experiencing bad side effects , I hope my method can help."

First Time (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2018

"I have always been sensitive to medications and I take really good care of my body when my doctor told me that I had a mild case of BV and she recommended that I take a round of antibiotics even though I didn’t show any symptoms in the first place. First came the pills, took only 3 and the nausea and my already existing vertigo problems were instant and horrible. Woke up with a horrible headache the next day and called the doctor. She then prescribed me the vaginal gel (which took $100 from my HSA) to use instead. I’m on day 3 of 5, missed work today because I’m still nauseated and dizzy. I’ve also experienced insomnia, loss of appetite, painful bloating, anal soreness, and fever. I’m now sitting up in bed exhausted and sick to my stomach all because of this junk and will likely miss another day of work if I still feel like this in the morning. If you’re sensitive like I am, and seem like many people are, avoid this garbage at all costs."

NB (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2018

"These pills are horrible I hate taking them no appetite, feel like garbage ,and it doesn’t seem to be working. I’m feeling all the side effects which sucks! I can’t wait to finish 3 more days to go. Hopefully it start working soon! I never want to take it again oh yeah I forgot to say I have this horrible taste in my mouth. Nothing seems to be helping me with the taste "

Mara March 19, 2018

"I have been on antibiotics before for a kidney infection and never experienced side effects until now.. I was told I had BV and had to take 3 of Metronidazole tablets a day for 7 days.. I feel sick all the time.. nauseous.. I’m reduced to tears with the head aches.. I have one left to take and I am actually afraid too experience more of the side effects "

Sammy (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

"Metronidazole usp 500mg tablet twice a day for 7 days. This medicine makes my tongue white and hairy like I have oral thrush, metallic taste, loss of appetite and feel like I'm always hungry. I lost 17lbs already and I dont want to get skinny enough. Worse, I CANNOT SLEEP AT ALL after 3 days of taking it and I have a fever. I'm on my 5th day of taking it and it's like hell. I wouldn't want to take this med if there's another way."

Annie (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

"I was prescribed 500mg twice a day for 7 days. I was not made aware of the side effects this medication had until I started experiencing them for myself. I had nausea, loss of appetite, etc. I started taking the Ultimate Flora probiotic and never had anymore problems. I also got my period during treatment so that might’ve played a role in it as well. After the second day my symptoms were completely gone (burning when peeing, fishy odor, and discharge). I’m completely done with my treatment and off of my period and I’ve never felt better. I struggled with BV for 2 1/2 years because I was so afraid to speak up but I’m happy I found this forum to share my story and ease anyone’s mind on it. Definitely take the metronidazole pill with orange juice and take a probiotic to build back up the good bacteria your vag needs!"

grad2018 (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2018

"I rated a 5, since it is my first time taking the drug and if it does work, I would not want to discourage others from taking it. I was diagnosed with BV, and I will say, I think it is working in decreasing the BV. I can imagine that messing with bacterial balance is tough on a body, so I guess it is normal that side effects would be intense. Having said all that, my side effects from this drug are very similar to what others are experiencing. Very unenjoyable. I have a terrible head ache, I'm off balance, night sweats...I am having a difficult time getting by during the day. I am nearly finished with my 1 week prescription, so I will continue taking it until I finish it, but I definitely hope to never have to take this drug again. Unpleasant all around."

SL (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2018

"I was prescribed metronidazole for bacterial vaginosis. No side effects EXCEPT THE FACT THAT I WANT TO PUNCH A HOLE IN THE WALL. At first I didn't realize that my anger and aggression was from the meds until everyone around me started noticing big changes in my mood and temper. I realized it started when I began taking this medication. After totally losing it three different times I've decided to stop taking it."

JonesT (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2018

"Never again!! I’m pregnant and was diagnosed with BV even though I was completely asymptomatic. I was given 500mg, twice a day, for 7 days. My side effects were: 1. Constant nausea. I took it with food, without food. Nothing worked. 2. Fatigue. It felt like I had taken a sleeping pill. I was knocked out for a couple of hours, then couldn’t sleep in between. 3. Crushing headache. 4. Dizziness. This was the least worst symptom...only hit me every now and then, but still unpleasant. 5. Diarrhea. Which was actually a welcome relief from the typical pregnancy constipation. 6. Chills and fever. It was low grade, but still enough to make me feel like I could never get warm and then wake up soaked in sweat. I don’t know if this medication even worked for me as I had no symptoms of BV to begin with. I’m almost afraid to tell my OB in case they try to put me on additional doses of this medication!!"

Anonymous March 7, 2018

"I just been diagnosed with BV and Chlamydia this morning. I got my antibiotics like 3 hours ago and idk if the pharmacist is right but the metro 500 mg 14 doses, he told me to take one right now and tomorrow take 2 every 8 hours and I'm like ok I'll do it .I took one and now I feel off balance. Can someone help me please? Am I supposed to start the 2 every 8 hours for the 7 days or should I listen to him??.."

rose (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2018

"@inflictedandfedup I am also resistant to metridonazole, but after 6 tries of this medication, my doctor tried and alternative measure...The drug "Tinidazole" cured me and haven't had any problems since. Hope that helps"

Kay (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 6, 2018

"This drug works well; however, it ruins my taste buds for weeks. I do tend to feel off while taking it, but it provides almost immediate relief. For those who say they have problems with resistant strains of bacteria, you need a 7-day regimen of boric acid suppositories prior to staring your flagyl to clear up those infections. "

Mama0323 (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2018