User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 24 medications used in the treatment of Diverticulitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Diverticulitis

"Metronidazole is horrible but really works I could not tolerate 400 mg so I take 200 it works the same less side effects."

Given up on my gut (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I appeared to have a kidney infection because of the pain. Dr gave me metronidazole but the side effects were horrible - I thought I was having a heart attack from the pain/pressure. Amoxicillin was tried but 3 weeks later little better. When I ran out of Amoxicillin within 24 hours I was in horrible pain again and went to the ER. Like others the Dr said everything is GREAT, you can go home. No way I feel like crap so he did a CT. The CT showed diverticulitis. Vindicated! But then he prescribed Cipro and metronidazole. I'd taken Cipro last year and it destroyed my knees...I was on crutches for months. Trying just the metronidazole, still feel crappy, but pain is going away. Why not Augmentin?"

Pleeze August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After a month of pain that I could not bare.I had to go to the ER where I was diagnose with diverticulitis. I was on moxifloxacin and Tylenol. I had to go schedule a colonoscopy which shows nothing. I was revisited by the left side lower pain. Had to get Cipro and flagyl. No fever but reduce appetite. I am on but as stated by all, the metallic taste and feeling of weakness and sluggishness. My second day on medication will update as time goes on."

roy1 July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I have had three episodes of Diverticulitus in the last five years. Because I had pretty rough experiences with Flagyl / Cipro combination in my previous episodes, I asked for the pharmacist to advise me, with my prior history in mind. I really wanted this time to be different. He said the most important advice is DO NOT USE ALCOHOL, which sounds like common sense; but that includes mouthwash. (you might swallow a bit) It's a slow recovery; absolutely. I live in So Cal and this was during a heat wave, but I slept day and night the first few days with a heating pad on my lower adbomen. The pharmacy confirmed Tylenol is okay pain, also. It's not a walk in the park, but I did better this time, even with other minor side effects."

Dory17 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ongoing bouts of diverticulitis. I tried to go without taking the flagyl and cipro but always end up back on it to heal . If you have diverticulitis and a fever you should be seen at the emergency room . Never get a colonoscopy if you feel infected. I was told you have to wait 8 weeks after diverticulitis to be safe having the procedure."

Zambony101 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began taking Flagyl on Saturday night to treat diverticulitis. I could not sleep at all that night or the following three nights. I lay in bed wide awake, with my leg muscles randomly fasciculating. I had a headache and neck ache from not being able to sleep. Occasionally, my entire body would suddenly jerk while I was lying in bed. I could not concentrate at work, and even though I am a Pharmacist, I kept forgetting the names of medications that I had been taking and the names of the medical conditions with which I had been diagnosed. I had been taking ibuprofen for a few days the prior week, and I had stopped taking ibuprofen due to heartburn. Even though I was on Protonix to treat my heartburn, Flagyl significantly worsened my pre-existing heartburn to the point where I had to stand erect throughout the day and night, moaning with pain. My epigastric pain would begin about an hour after taking Flagyl and be at its worst four hours later. I also felt as if I constantly had to urinate, but only a small amount of urine would come out each time. My mouth was extremely dry with a metallic taste and a furry looking tongue. I ended up in the ER the following Wednesday writhing in epigastric pain which was a “10” on the 1-10 pain scale. I literally thought that I was going to die, and I spoke with loved ones by phone to say my good-byes. My blood pressure was moderately elevated and my ECG, which had always been normal, was now “borderline with atrial enlargement”. My ER doc switched me to Augmentin, and my Flagyl-related adverse reactions rapidly subsided. Flagyl significantly helped my diverticulitis, but at a horrible cost in terms of lost sleep, lost work, poor work, personal and family anxieties, and time spent at the ER. If your doctor prescribes Flagyl, my advice is to ask him/her if there is an alternative antibiotic, especially if you have any pre-existing gastroesophageal problems. All of my adverse events appear in the Flagyl labeling: epigastric distress, abdominal cramping, incoordination, confusion, insomnia, a sharp, unpleasant metallic taste, dryness of the mouth, furry tongue, glossitis, stomatitis, flattening of the T-wave in electrocardiographic tracings, polyuria, a sense of pelvic pressure, convulsive seizures. "

SaddleRiverKid (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just diagnosed with acute diverticulitis. I am on day 3 with of flagyl and bactrim and I feel horrible. Break out in sweats where I am actually dripping and still have fever of 102. Anyone else have this experience and is it normal. Thanks"

Kate20174 July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I hate this drug. Hate it, hate it, hate it. I have to take it 4 times a day for 14 days. My doctor is sadistic. I'm so nauseous I can barely breath. Even on anti-nausea meds! I have no energy. I can't sleep. My head hurts. This feels 10x worse than the flu. But it works. It will help heal the diverticulitis. It always does. And every time it sucks."

Owwww (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I had side effects from these drugs but found when I did not take them at the same time it wasn't as bad. In States where it's legal, THC help with the diverticulitis as well as the side effects of flagyl and cipro."

Jacche July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Leaves the worst metalic taste in your mouth, my heart has been racing 100+ off and on since I have been on this. Started 7 days ago and still have 3 to go."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I hate this drug so much I can hardly stand it. Unfortunately, this (with Cipro) seems to be the only viable treatment. Hate this so much I waited 2 weeks hoping it would go away by itself. Now on day 3. Sick as a dog. Nausea. Uncontrollable diarrhea. Dreadfully groggy, like I've taken sleeping pills. Lucky I'm retired, I can't leave the house. Can't get off the couch."

Anonymous June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just finished my second course of taking Metronidazole, 500 mg, 3 x day for 7 days. I was taking this along with Ciproflaxacin for recurring diverticulitis. The first course was six weeks ago, but at 400 mg instead of 500 mg. Side effects in round one included bad metallic taste in my mouth which lasted the entire course, headache/pain behind my left eye, on and off nausea. This most recent course was a bit more harsh with the constant metallic taste in my mouth and severe fatigue, but no headaches this time. The meds seem to do the trick with getting rid of the stomach pains on the lower left side of my abdomen, but the side effects are unpleasant. Best advice is to try and ride it out if you can as the meds work."

tci1210 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"If I could give a neg 100 I would. I hate this drug. Horrible side effects, I'm still dizzy and have brainfog after 3 months. I had a severe headache, vomiting, severe anxiety, horrible brainfog, fatigue, no appetite. I still have anxiety! Cipro, or any fluoroquinolone are usually prescribed with this. I have to say shame on all the doctors who give any fluoroquinolone out since Bayer themselves and the FDA sent out warning letters. FDA safety review found that both oral and injectable fluroquinolones are associated with disabling side effects involving tendons, muscles, joints, nerves and the central nervous system. These side effects can occur hours to weeks after exposure to fluoroquinolones and may potentially be permanent. "

Cindyrella4545 April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on Cipro 2x & Flagyl 3x for 7 days after diverticulitis attack. Feeling hungry but don't want to eat. Feeling lightheaded, a little nauseous at times, no energy, no ambition. Flagyl taste is disgusting. No way I was going to be able to take that 3x a day for 14 days so I cover it with peanut butter and then swallow (just like the dogs)!! Pain was pretty much gone after a couple of days but hardest part is the bland diet and no or very little calcium. Think some extra spicy hummus brought this on. May have to give up the hot peppers."

AjaDiamond March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I to have diverticulitis....while in the hospital for this the healthcare team emphasized over and over that the GMO's allowed into our country are the root cause of this horrific problem. The drugs are both helpful for infection but can cause so many life changing side effects you have to weigh your odds. Why not just stop buying foods with GMOs and begin to take action to fight the idiots who are suppose to be protecting our food and drug system! It's all about greed and at our expense!"

PAaaaaaaaaah March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"wow....is all i can say. I was in a terrible state one week ago today. Woke up at 5 am to pain in lower abdomen and was in the bathroom the best part of 3 hrs straight. By 730am losing just blood three hrs of this and hospital it was. I was hooked to iv fluids and meds..numerous tests run to nothing showing up seriously!!! I was sent home after 6 hrs..with cipro one two times daily and and flagyl one three times a day. It was on top of reg meds for bp and R .oh boy nothing in stomach, feeling ill, popping all these pills took a few days to eat anything. My gut is in an awful state woke up many nights feeling ill, mornings are the worst I feel like throwing up. Then last night I woke to vomit in mouth..sorry...but these meds are brutal. I'm done..and stomach still a mess."

dgould (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Combined with Cipro, it appears to be an effective treatment. The unpleasant taste of the pill makes one apprehensive."

JimC15 February 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with diverticulosis 9 years ago and have managed my diet and avoided an attack. Until now.... Interestingly, following a heart attack recently, it appears that the body stress triggered an acute diverticulitis attack and I ended up in ER....again. By the way, heart is okay! After 2 days in hospital on Cipro and Flagyl, I was released and instructed to take them for 8 more days. ( Cipro 2x and Flagyl 3x). I agree with so many reviews that these meds work but, wow, what side effects and mine was mostly dizzy/woozy feeling and just general feeling lousy not some of the more severe effects that others had. Tomorrow is my last day on these meds and hope to feel better after another 3 days when they are out of my system!"

Mapleleaf1952 January 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I have never had any issues, until I was diagnosed with a very minor case diverticulitis and was prescribed this drug. It has been nine months and counting, and my life has changed. This drug cause severe stomach pain, numbing of the arms, and a trip to the ER. After two or three doses, I had to quit. The biggest outcome of this was gastritis, something I've never had in my life. Nearly every night I wake up sick. I am on multiple drugs to combat this gastritis, but my condition is getting worse. As an active person (hiking, running, biking and such), this has hampered all of these activities. My sleep is very poor now. I have no idea what I can eat or not eat. I dare not drink alcohol and cannot eat after 6p lest I suffer all night."

Death's Door (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with a mild case of diverticulitis. I had severe abdominal pain mainly on left side, low grade fever and headache. I was prescribed Flagyl every 6 hours for 10 days and bactrim every 12 hours for 10 days. Ugh... 60 pills..... I felt much better abdominal wise after 2 days but the side effects were horrible! Sour stomach and headaches.. After day 4 I decided to do some research. I learned that you should space these meds at least an hour apart. (helped a ton). You should also eat a piece of bread with or have something on your stomach when you take them. Drink as much water as you can and take prebiotics and probiotics to help your stomach stay balanced. I was also recommended taking a Leaky Gut Repair health supplement"

RaRa26 (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole): "The first time I ever had diverticulitis I ended up in the hospital for three days with massive doses of flagyl through an IV. After that I had a couple of bouts of what I thought were UTI's but ended up the start of diverticulitis (which mostly happens when I travel). Because I recognize the symptoms, I am allowed to have a few pills with me at all times just in case and catching the attack soon enough usually only requires a couple of doses. It has been an absolute lifesaver!!!!! I've had to do the routine of many days and add in Cipro, so it's one of those cases where you need to be in tune with what's happening with your body to avoid getting that sick."

Maeward7864 January 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I deal with diverticulitis every 9 to 12 months. CT over the past 15 years keep showing mild diverticulitis as they call it but when it hits it feels nothing like mild! Nasty lower left abdominal pain . Sometimes I get a fever. Now my dr. Just put me on antibiotics as soon as I get symptoms because I always go into the fever eventually . Yes going on this for 7 to 10 days can give you diarrhea. I found quite a while ago since probiotic yogurt came out as long as I eat lots of that I rarely get diarrhea now. And since you should be on liquid and very soft food diet anyway just switch yourself and eat nothing but probiotic yogurt and soups while you're taking this stuff. always take it with a meal too. And no alcohol!"

Yetagainforme December 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given metronidazole and flagyl after a diverticulitis flare up the took me to the emergency room. It was fine the first couple of days I took them. After the 4 day or so my real nightmare began irritated, bitchy, depress, moody. not appetite, bad taste in my mouth even to drink water was a task I also had Severe chills, feeling exhausted, even to walk to the restroom was a task, in others words I feel like i was being poison by this horrible meds. After vomit episode and so much gas on my stomach I called the 24 hours hotline to my Doctor office she agree to stop taken them it was already almost 10 days with that nasty Meds. It's been 2 days now since I stopped them . still feeling crappy exhausted and my tummy still unsettled."

Vicky 58 years old November 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Oh, man,am I ever sick....yes, the lower abd pain is getting better, but! I am on methotrexate and am having blood in my stools...I didn't see anyone else mention that....so, tomorrow is Thanksgiving, but I guess I'll try to contact my doc and see what he says...I'm on day three almost...if I take it tonight???!! I was prescribed cipro and flagyl in the ER for acute diverticulitis."

beebarbie (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had pain in my lower left quadrant. Thought maybe had a partial blockage. On third day went to the ER, get blood work done, get X-ray, find nothing, blood work came back with elevated White blood cell count. Doc orders CT scan turns out I have Acute Diverticulitis (I'm 30). The drugs (Cipro and Flagyl) work, pain subsided and i can imagine they're fighting the infection as I write this, but man, the side effects are pretty terrible. Nausea, dizziness, upset stomach, metal taste in mouth, and feeling crappy overall from the side effects. I'm on day 3, like most reviews on here, it seems like the make or break moment. the pills are progressively harder to ingest because i dread the side effects. BUT I gotta let the meds run course"

Anonymoose123 November 21, 2016