User Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Diverticulitis

Also known as: Flagyl, Metro, Flagyl IV, Flagyl 375 Metro IV

Metronidazole Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 20 medications used in the treatment of Diverticulitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole

Anonymous May 26, 2020

Metro (metronidazole): “I am on the 5th day ! The last day of metronidazole 500mg twice a day ! I don't recommend this antibiotic to anyone . I have had the most vivid worst nightmares on this drug. My stomach cramps, and hurts and have diarrhea bad. I feel like my eyes are so dry and have a brain fog ,and don't know if I'm coming or going . Side note it cleared my diverticulitis up tho.”

Jb · Taken for less than 1 month April 24, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole): “Was prescribed flagyl for possible diverticulitis, took it for two days and could not take it anymore. It caused me to have severe diarrhea, fever, severe flu like symptoms, made me very weak, had to stop taking it. Will never take it again.”

Deb · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole): “Having nausea everyday about 3 hours after taking Flagyl, also started feeling cramps in both calves on day 3. Only have 1 1/2 days left! Will be taking probiotics and eating yogurt as was suggested by someone in this comment stream!”

1234 March 28, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole): “Please DO NOT take Flagyl. This is a lethal drug that will mess your body up for months. I was given this for diverticulitis. I was asked to take Flagyl for 7 days. By day 2 I was already in pain with side effects with bad muscle cramps especially my legs. I kept going not realizing the damage it was doing. On day 6 I gave up. The side effects were unbearable. I was taking regular pro-biotics during this period and after. Flagyl wiped my gut clean to the extreme that I kept getting urine Infections / Cystitis (inflammation of the bladder) for weeks after. The constant urine infections / Cystitis continued for the next 5 months. Eventually when I saw my naturopath, he gave me a special blend of flora (pro-biotics) to help restore my gut back to normal. I don't know why doctors are allowed to prescribe this drug as it should be banned.Please avoid taking this drug.”

Andie February 18, 2020

“Diagnosed with diverticulitis and put on Cipro and Flagyl , today is Day #10 hallelujah!! Had diverticulitis flareups 4 & 5 years ago. I forgot how sick these drugs make me. I can’t keep food down, nauseous 24 hours a day except when I take Zofran, upper stomach pains, reflux, heartburn, dizziness, listless and spend most of my day sleeping. This came at the most inopportune time I just had major knee surgery two weeks before the attack which has hindered my healing process as I can’t get up to proceed with physical therapy, it’s too nauseating to move around. If I ever get another attack I will never take these drugs again. There has to be a better way! I want my life back ”

Mary February 18, 2020

“Taking Flagyl with Cipro for diverticulitis, feel weak and tired, a bit dizzy and loss of appetite, but the pain is pretty much gone. Taking these monster pills with applesauce and it really helps! Also taking a good probiotic . Day 4 of 7.”

Mimi · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2020

“While this is the nastiest tasting drug on earth. I will say putting it in a teaspoon of apple sauce does the trick, then a few more bites of apple sauce. No after taste ! Goes right down without the stuck in your esophagus feeling.”

kath · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole): “Flagyl side effects are dreadful. The worst was a sudden rise in my blood pressure (BP) to over 200. Dangerous for me, loads of treatment to get it down, no more flagyl for me. Bowel was no better.”

Lucy · Taken for less than 1 month January 8, 2020

Flagyl (metronidazole): “Flagyl cured my diverticulitis however, my blood pressure went to 200 over 119. I had to be rushed to the emergency room. Afterwards, I checked and saw that this can happen if you are in your 60's or older. Don't exactly know why older people can get this symptom, but I will never use it again. The drug worked, that is why I rated it high, but the side effects are brutal.”

Dajiken · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2020

“I have taken Cipro before with no issues. First time having diverticulitis and prescribed Cipro and metronidazole. The metronidazole made me deathly ill, throwing up, nausea, diarrhea even with anti-nausea medicine. Literally in bed for three days. No pain or fever after day 2 so my doc is going to let me go off it and just stay on Cipro. I’ll never take that again. I’m with the other reviewer, I’d rather have surgery.”

3teacher30 · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2020

“The side effects I had from this drug were 100x worse than the diverticulitis. Horrible anxiety, brain fog, bloating, constant diarrhea, and tinnitus, which still hasn't gone away. The doctor took me off of it after 5 days.”

Bud · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2019

“Have taken Cipro before for diverticulitis episodes however this time metronidazole was given also. Hate it. Have only taken for 2 days but throwing up and nauseated all the time. After reading all these reviews I’m done with it. Sounds too serious side effects I’m not going to chance it. Good luck out there. Think I’ll opt for surgery as my mom passed away from this disease because she wouldn’t have the surgery.”

Grumpy · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 18, 2019

“I take metronidazol 3 times a day for Diverticulitis, I have been on this off and on for 5 months. I have lost 30 pounds and have no appetite I just don't feel like I am living. The taste is terrible and dry heaves non stop. I have to stay on this medication until we schedule surgery. I am not eating much, tired and don’t want to do anything. Holiday is approaching and it is my favorite holiday. I hope never to have to be on this again. I feel like I want to jump out of my skin and cry a lot. This is not how I want to live my life”

Sammy · Taken for less than 1 month December 11, 2019

“This metronidazole medication wrecks me as bad as the diverticulitis, but they work. Day 3 of severe attack and pain is a bit better, but today started with diarrhea. I'm starting to think IBS and Diverticulitis are quite connected , anybody feel the same way?”

Nane · Taken for less than 1 month December 3, 2019

“This drug metronidazole made me feel worse than the actual diverticulitis. My side effects were awful, awful dépression general ghastliness of feeling ill all over. I finished it as I had to-but am adamant about NEVER using it again. When the pain strikes now- (and I’m on a very restricted diet for many allergies) I take paracetamol and go to bed. I am 74 with a brain injury so my responses are acute.”

Numpty November 19, 2019

Flagyl (metronidazole): “Taking the anitbiotic combo metronidazole and Cipro for a flare up of diverticulitis and now on day 4. My side effects are that I feel so dreadful, very weak, no appetite at all, dizzy, nauseated, night sweats, vaginal discharge, diarrhea, have lost 7 lbs already. Forcing small bits of food down as have to eat something, drinking lots of water, feel nauseated+++. I am in UK. This medicine is utterly brutal and toxic, but my pain is nearly gone. Longing for day 7 to end drama.”

Wissy November 17, 2019

“I am taking Cipro and Flagyl together for diverticulitis. It is making me go to the bathroom at least 4 times a day. After each bout of diarrhea I hurt worse. Pain was just in my left side, have made so many trips to bathroom until both sides hurt now. I am miserable. I sure hope it clears everything up soon. Two more days to go.”

LK · Taken for less than 1 month November 11, 2019

“I took Flagyl and Cipro together for 10 days for apparent diverticulitis. I haven’t used any antibiotics for years. My experience was awful and I’m still having problems after my last dose 4 days ago. I have diarrhea, bad taste in my mouth, loss of appetite (forcing myself to eat), weight loss, and body aches. My doctor is going to check for other problems but I think these medications really messed me up. I hope the symptoms go away. It’s scary feeling like this. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. Makes me realize I’m not alone.”

linda · Taken for less than 1 month November 10, 2019

“I have used this drug for diverticulitis (numerous times). It sucks the life out of me each time, even when my diverticulitis pains become manageable I cannot return to work because of this drugs side effects.”

PKid · Taken for less than 1 month November 7, 2019

“Was put on Cypro and Flagyl for Diverticulitis. Worked very well. Still have some pain but most of the issues have gone away. I do have some fatigue but that could also be a result of having a major infection. The bottom line is things would be far worse without these antibiotics.”

Cat Lady November 2, 2019

“I was prescribed metronidazole for diverticulitis, this is my first day and I have problems with antibiotics, so not sure how this will go, but the taste and swallowing this pill is bad. What I am doing is cutting pills in half, crush one half with a pill crusher and putting the crushed powder into empty gel cap, then do the same for the rest, also I am eating with it, good luck everyone”

Pike · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 31, 2019

“Hello all and I share the submissions here. Have tried the Cipro/Flagyl combo and it is a no go for me. I cannot handle the Cipro. Dr 's PA suggested Levaquin and it is as dangerous as Cipro so will not take. Have had 4 flare ups since June 2019. Flagyl I can handle but you feel it. Next up is to consult with a surgeon so they say. So I feel for all the comments posted here. I am 68, usually active and good health until this kicks butt. Thanks all for sharing.”

Claradawg October 21, 2019

“Given Cipro and Flagyl for diverticulitis. To complicate things I take thyroid meds first thing in the morning and blood pressure meds and supplements at night. Trying to create a way to everything in is hard. I take both Cipro and and Flagyl together in morning but then eat breakfast with no dairy which is hard for me. Best thing is eggs! Drink Kefir mid morning and then Flagyl at lunch with no dairy .... Take last Flagyl and Cipro at 8 or so but have to wait two hours for evening meds. Pain is gone but feel tired, nauseous, and metallic taste in mouth! Glad I am retired as I could not do this while working”

chuckles · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2019

“I was prescribed this metronidazole along with Cipro (for diverticulitis) and have to say it stopped my pain within a day. I suffered some stomach discomfort but nothing severe and had none of the bad side effects people have mentioned here.”

Sunshine October 1, 2019

“My Dr. put me on this metronidazole for ten days because of Diverticulitis. I am a avid walker and because of the side effects such as permanent damage to the nerves in my arms, hands, and feet I am afraid to walk. This medication is doing it’s job but it has made me unable to sleep on a regular base ,muddy stool, and very weak. At sixty six years old I take all the side effects very serious.”

Learn more about Diverticulitis

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)