User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 24 medications used in the treatment of Diverticulitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Diverticulitis

"I have taken this medication more than I have wanted to for Diverticulitis (this and cipro combined kill the infection) as well have taken for BV. Does it suck? Yes. Can it make you feel like crap? Absolutely. But suck it up and take the medication. Either push through the side effects or don't get better. Eat a small snack before taking. Immediately drink water - a full glass. Take on schedule and your issues will go way."

METRO aka Flagyl (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 25, 2016

"Makes my cigars taste like crap. 52 years old eat all the wrong foods never exercise. I'm as healthy as you can be blood work always comes back perfect. I only go to doc every 5 years for blood work, told me its time for a colonoscopy, went to see the GI doc and he thought i might have Diver. because of mild pain on left side CT scan came back good but won't do the colonoscopy unless I take 10 days of meds just in case I have a mild case of diver that ct scan did not pick up."

Anonymous September 15, 2016

Flagyl (metronidazole): "This drug caused uncontrollable diarrhea and stomach upset and I had to stop taking it after just 2 days. This was given for mild diverticulitis and I got better with a liquid diet for several days then low fiber soft food then graduated to regular foods. I had another bout of diverticulitis 4 months later and just did the diet - didn't go to doctors of use antibiotics. For my mild cases this is the way to go. This drug caused more harm than good."

nonickname August 27, 2016

"I'm a 34 year old male in relatively good shape, active, and always on my feet... Have had diverticulitis off and on for four years. When it flares up the pain is terrible, coupled with a 50 hour a week job and two young children, it makes life a living hell... When I get a flare up (still can't figure out why I get them, everything seems to cause my guts to go crazy), I was put on flagyl and cipro. First few flare ups I stopped taking the medicine. I felt like absolute garbage - exhausted, nauseous, brain fog, and achy all over. Stopped taking them and let my body do its thing. This past bout was too much to handle and had to take the meds as directed. Day three and am feeling much better... The meds WORK! Endure, and get well"

Sto Jo August 15, 2016

Flagyl (metronidazole): "This is my third diverticulitis event in 9 years, and each time I have been treated with Cipro and Flagyl, but I do not remember feeling so awful the first two times, nor do I remember the horrifically bad taste of the metronidazole (flagyl.) I can hardly get it down and after I do the horrible taste in my mouth is beyond description. I have resorted to immediately grabbing a lollipop to coat my mouth and pharynx with the sweet sugary taste, which actually does help. On top of that I am nauseated, dizzy, have a foggy brain, and nothing tastes normal or good, not even water. I am thankful for the improvement in the abdominal pain, as that shows that the horrid stuff is working, but dang, can't they put it in a capsule?"

trying to be thankful August 9, 2016

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Was hospitalized with my first case of diverticulitis in March of this year and was given Flagyl 3x daily for 3-4 weeks. Vomited violently in the hospital within 10 minutes after taking it each time until they started giving me something to coat my stomach a little beforehand. The entire time I had to take it, I felt like my stomach was being eaten from the inside. My taste buds changed totally while I was on it and nothing tasted normal. I agree, Flagyl is the worst medicine ever! I will suffer the pain from diverticulitis before taking it again!"

abeehamie (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2016

"I was recently prescribed both Metronidazole and Cipro for diverticulitis---this is the second time I've had an issue with diverticulitis since being diagnosed approximately 2 years ago. I have learned a few things this time around that has reduced the negative side effects. I no longer take these medications at the same time---they are spaced an hour or two apart and both are taken with a slice of toast--nothing more. If I take this medication after a meal, it causes problems. This has greatly reduced (eliminated) the stomach pains and nausea that I experienced before. Limit food intake while having a diverticulitis attack for the first couple of days--replace with water. You need to flush out the infection and there will be diarrhea."

Jen5212 July 23, 2016

"After taking this medication I had a side effect including nausea , dizziness, blurry vision. It works well but it has side effects as well."

Ish K July 21, 2016

"I was diagnosed for the 1st time at the ER after a CT scan. Cipro 2x and flagll 3x per day were prescribed. I can't feel any pain b/c I'm too focused on the nausea, dizziness, bloating, gas and diarrhea. Day 2- I had an important meeting to attend (that I could not miss), the metallic taste was awful and the smells when I walked in the room made the nausea unbearable. Out of desperation I popped 2 pieces men tos spearmint gum in my mouth and sucked on them and within minutes felt so much better. The mint soothed my stomach and I was functioning. I went on to another meeting thereafter and did just fine. Thereafter, I tried peppermint candy but it didn't have the same effect. I'm on a clear liquid diet too which doesn't help"

Damn colon (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2016

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Was given this for diverticulitis and after day 3 of taking woke up in a cold sweat, hair soaking wet and feeling faint. Slurred speach and overall feeling of dying! Went back to ER and they said it was side effect of this medication. They told me to continue no matter what, told them I'd rather die and threw the medication away. I'm still alive and doing well without this nasty medicine!"

Anonymous June 1, 2016

"I have had diverticulitis attacks 2 times/year for several years and have been successful treating it with Keflex or Cipro. For whatever reason my gastro MD added metronidazole in combo with Keflex this time. After 4 days I'm stoping the metronidazole because of side effects. Metronidazole did not ease the diverticulitis pain faster (still took 3 days for pain to subside) and it has made me tired, lethargic to the point of not even getting dressed. Pressure in my head and severe cramps. Im a high energy upbeat person and this droopy soul doesn't suit me. I'll stick to the Cipro, change up my probiotic and avoid flagyl in the future"

Ckitchen May 22, 2016

"This drug should be banned from human use. It permanently disabled me by attacking my corpus callosum (middle brain) - the first time. I had t to resign from my federal job because I could no longer walk, talk, or write. After treatment at an acute rehab, I got C-diff and was prescribed more flagyl. I began to fall on my face. After several brush burns and other related issues I was in and out of the ER. Four years later, I am left with slurred speech, vision and heart issues. To date no one has taken responsibility for this drug."

Corpus Callosum May 16, 2016

"I was put on Flagyl and Cipro for the next ten days. I have been on it for 2 days now and already feel a lot better - just tired. I felt as if I was run over by a truck before I started taking the medication. My pain felt more like contractions!! The pain has subsided quite a bit. Hopefully, by the end of ten days, I will be as good as new!! Good luck to everyone."

Lindroz (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

"I was put on this medication for diverticulitis. Along with Cipro. I have been taking it for 7 days. I feel like I have been hit by a truck! No energy, sick to my stomach, diarrhea along with a feeling of never being able to get comfortable. I have 7 more days 3 times a day to go! I don't think I can do it! I feel absolutely miserable. Just left a message with the Dr to see what they say about stopping it."

teenie83 May 7, 2016

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I have taken this for Diverticulitis and BV. It works. Had bleeding and severe almost septic Diverticulitis, was in hospital for 5 days and this cured it. Gets rid of BV too, just make sure to take Rephresh Pro-B pill immediately after finishing course of flagl and continue for a few months if you want to keep vagina healthy. Side affects of flagyl are diarrhea and slight nausea but bearable, just take it in the middle of meal. If you have horrible affects from it you are having allergic reaction, not side affects. I know bc my mom is allergic to flagyl. If taking for diverticulitus, take high grade probiotic for 2 months after finishing course of antibiotics to replenish good bacteria in gut."

Delta20000 April 7, 2016

"This medication makes me and my muscles hurt Like I've been hit by a truck. And that's after day two! I take three a day for intestinal infection (diverticulitis) besides the bad tastes, and maybe some stomach pains, this is my main concern. Makes almost all my Muscles in my Body ache badly. Especially my feet and arms."

Travis2L (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

"I am 69 and have coronary artery disease, and diabetes.....I take 20 meds a day and now I have diverticulitis and have been given Cipro and flagyl.....this my 8th day and I have been in bed the whole time just getting up to drink clear liquids...thank God I'm retired because there is no way I could go to work.....the pain before I was diagnosed was the worst....all across my abdomen and down my thighs....I went to ER and they did a ct and said they couldn't find any reason for the pain and sent me home with pain meds and said to follow up with my Dr....I have two more days to take these meds... Hope this is the end....."

Hardrock (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2016

"I took it along with Cipro for diverticulitis. There was not a lot of effect for the first 2 days but after that the drugs started to work and I started feeling better. After a full 7 days I'm glad to be finished. I had taken cipro on its own before with minimal side effects. With the combo I found that there were quite a lot. I was quite listless and almost depressed and tired plus my joints are very sore. There is a nasty taste in my mouth and my tongue is sore and very grayish. I was very moody for a few days but this seems to have stopped. Since the diverticulitis makes me feel really awful, I was grateful for the antibiotics and they worked. Many people have reported diarrhea but I did not, pee certainly turned a dark orange."

Curious Chris (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2016

"After 7 days suffering lower left abdominal pain (1st time) I was diagnosed with diverticulitis. I am 63. I was prescribed Metronidazole 400 mg - 1 tablet 3 times daily - along with 500 mg Keflex (Cefalexin) - same daily dosage. I took both for 7 days as prescribed. Very relieved to be free of the pain. Suffered dizzy spells, extreme tiredness & felt very unwell. Stopped taking the meds 2 weeks ago. No pain but still have not returned to my usual self. Still very tired and not quite "real" and have the odd dizzy spell. Wonder if I will return to normal? I am also wheat & gluten intolerant - breakfast cereals are not something I can eat. Eating fibre in the form of fruit - particularly pears & apples helps me as does yoghurt & milk."

Siv (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2016

"I took this med along with cipro. First day... I broke out in hives. I knew it was this one cause it was put thru iv and hives came out as soon as it was connected. So, they kept giving me benedryl along with it. Then..on the 3rd night of being in hospital, I was having so much pain (I cried the whole night) in my lower back and legs, thought it was the hospiral bed..so a I went home anyway. Took oral and back pain was unbearable! I stopped taking it and back pain was completely gone. Will never take that again!!!"

Gigi2009 March 9, 2016

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I was prescribed this medicine for my diverticulitis and every time I took this pill I was experiencing bad cramping, so I went to the emergency room and the doctor there told me to stop that medication because it causes constipation. So I'm just taking the other medicine and thus far no cramping just a bit of a headache but that's better than getting abdominal pains"

angelofmyeyes February 25, 2016

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I went to the ER and was told I had Diverticulitis..I stayed in the hospital for 3 days...I started taking Cipro and Flagyl. Only side effect is diarrhea, hard to manage when you work fulltime...Medication does work...On meds for 1 week."

feeling well (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

"This is my third day of Ciprofloxacin 500mg twice per day and Metronidazole 500mg twice per day for recently diagnosed diverticulitis. I am experiencing disturbances in sleep, despite being really tired I am finding it difficult to fall asleep. I also feel light headed. I am drinking lots of water. I have been following a gluten free diet prior to diagnosis and this appears to have eased my worst symptoms."

GillyT January 10, 2016

"I was given 60 tabs of metronidazole...2 X 3 A DAY for 10 days. also given another drug with it take 1x 2 a day. By the 6 day I was so sick I wished I could die. Stomach cramps, bloating gas. Quit taking these meds on the 9th day.Stomach cleared up. but now I riddled with so much joint pain I can hardly move."

Barb. (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2015

"As an update to my previous glowing comment, I'm hopefully getting better and the pain is not so bad but this medicine is making me so groggy and so sick to my stomach. Its Saturday and I spent the entire day sleeping. It's very hard to sustain concentration at work not only from a little bit of pain but from how this medicine makes you feel. It is a rough affliction so I feel your frustration."

123Missy December 12, 2015