User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 24 medications used in the treatment of Diverticulitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Diverticulitis

"If I could give a neg 100 I would. I hate this drug. Horrible side effects, I'm still dizzy and have brainfog after 3 months. I had a severe headache, vomiting, severe anxiety, horrible brainfog, fatigue, no appetite. I still have anxiety! Cipro, or any fluoroquinolone are usually prescribed with this. I have to say shame on all the doctors who give any fluoroquinolone out since Bayer themselves and the FDA sent out warning letters. FDA safety review found that both oral and injectable fluroquinolones are associated with disabling side effects involving tendons, muscles, joints, nerves and the central nervous system. These side effects can occur hours to weeks after exposure to fluoroquinolones and may potentially be permanent. "

Cindyrella4545 April 11, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on Cipro 2x & Flagyl 3x for 7 days after diverticulitis attack. Feeling hungry but don't want to eat. Feeling lightheaded, a little nauseous at times, no energy, no ambition. Flagyl taste is disgusting. No way I was going to be able to take that 3x a day for 14 days so I cover it with peanut butter and then swallow (just like the dogs)!! Pain was pretty much gone after a couple of days but hardest part is the bland diet and no or very little calcium. Think some extra spicy hummus brought this on. May have to give up the hot peppers."

AjaDiamond March 22, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I to have diverticulitis....while in the hospital for this the healthcare team emphasized over and over that the GMO's allowed into our country are the root cause of this horrific problem. The drugs are both helpful for infection but can cause so many life changing side effects you have to weigh your odds. Why not just stop buying foods with GMOs and begin to take action to fight the idiots who are suppose to be protecting our food and drug system! It's all about greed and at our expense!"

PAaaaaaaaaah March 21, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"wow....is all i can say. I was in a terrible state one week ago today. Woke up at 5 am to pain in lower abdomen and was in the bathroom the best part of 3 hrs straight. By 730am losing just blood three hrs of this and hospital it was. I was hooked to iv fluids and meds..numerous tests run to nothing showing up seriously!!! I was sent home after 6 hrs..with cipro one two times daily and and flagyl one three times a day. It was on top of reg meds for bp and R .oh boy nothing in stomach, feeling ill, popping all these pills took a few days to eat anything. My gut is in an awful state woke up many nights feeling ill, mornings are the worst I feel like throwing up. Then last night I woke to vomit in mouth..sorry...but these meds are brutal. I'm done..and stomach still a mess."

dgould (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Combined with Cipro, it appears to be an effective treatment. The unpleasant taste of the pill makes one apprehensive."

JimC15 February 3, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with diverticulosis 9 years ago and have managed my diet and avoided an attack. Until now.... Interestingly, following a heart attack recently, it appears that the body stress triggered an acute diverticulitis attack and I ended up in ER....again. By the way, heart is okay! After 2 days in hospital on Cipro and Flagyl, I was released and instructed to take them for 8 more days. ( Cipro 2x and Flagyl 3x). I agree with so many reviews that these meds work but, wow, what side effects and mine was mostly dizzy/woozy feeling and just general feeling lousy not some of the more severe effects that others had. Tomorrow is my last day on these meds and hope to feel better after another 3 days when they are out of my system!"

Mapleleaf1952 January 30, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I have never had any issues, until I was diagnosed with a very minor case diverticulitis and was prescribed this drug. It has been nine months and counting, and my life has changed. This drug cause severe stomach pain, numbing of the arms, and a trip to the ER. After two or three doses, I had to quit. The biggest outcome of this was gastritis, something I've never had in my life. Nearly every night I wake up sick. I am on multiple drugs to combat this gastritis, but my condition is getting worse. As an active person (hiking, running, biking and such), this has hampered all of these activities. My sleep is very poor now. I have no idea what I can eat or not eat. I dare not drink alcohol and cannot eat after 6p lest I suffer all night."

Death's Door (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with a mild case of diverticulitis. I had severe abdominal pain mainly on left side, low grade fever and headache. I was prescribed Flagyl every 6 hours for 10 days and bactrim every 12 hours for 10 days. Ugh... 60 pills..... I felt much better abdominal wise after 2 days but the side effects were horrible! Sour stomach and headaches.. After day 4 I decided to do some research. I learned that you should space these meds at least an hour apart. (helped a ton). You should also eat a piece of bread with or have something on your stomach when you take them. Drink as much water as you can and take prebiotics and probiotics to help your stomach stay balanced. I was also recommended taking a Leaky Gut Repair health supplement"

RaRa26 (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Flagyl (metronidazole): "The first time I ever had diverticulitis I ended up in the hospital for three days with massive doses of flagyl through an IV. After that I had a couple of bouts of what I thought were UTI's but ended up the start of diverticulitis (which mostly happens when I travel). Because I recognize the symptoms, I am allowed to have a few pills with me at all times just in case and catching the attack soon enough usually only requires a couple of doses. It has been an absolute lifesaver!!!!! I've had to do the routine of many days and add in Cipro, so it's one of those cases where you need to be in tune with what's happening with your body to avoid getting that sick."

Maeward7864 January 19, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I deal with diverticulitis every 9 to 12 months. CT over the past 15 years keep showing mild diverticulitis as they call it but when it hits it feels nothing like mild! Nasty lower left abdominal pain . Sometimes I get a fever. Now my dr. Just put me on antibiotics as soon as I get symptoms because I always go into the fever eventually . Yes going on this for 7 to 10 days can give you diarrhea. I found quite a while ago since probiotic yogurt came out as long as I eat lots of that I rarely get diarrhea now. And since you should be on liquid and very soft food diet anyway just switch yourself and eat nothing but probiotic yogurt and soups while you're taking this stuff. always take it with a meal too. And no alcohol!"

Yetagainforme December 9, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given metronidazole and flagyl after a diverticulitis flare up the took me to the emergency room. It was fine the first couple of days I took them. After the 4 day or so my real nightmare began irritated, bitchy, depress, moody. not appetite, bad taste in my mouth even to drink water was a task I also had Severe chills, feeling exhausted, even to walk to the restroom was a task, in others words I feel like i was being poison by this horrible meds. After vomit episode and so much gas on my stomach I called the 24 hours hotline to my Doctor office she agree to stop taken them it was already almost 10 days with that nasty Meds. It's been 2 days now since I stopped them . still feeling crappy exhausted and my tummy still unsettled."

Vicky 58 years old November 27, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Oh, man,am I ever sick....yes, the lower abd pain is getting better, but! I am on methotrexate and am having blood in my stools...I didn't see anyone else mention that....so, tomorrow is Thanksgiving, but I guess I'll try to contact my doc and see what he says...I'm on day three almost...if I take it tonight???!! I was prescribed cipro and flagyl in the ER for acute diverticulitis."

beebarbie (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had pain in my lower left quadrant. Thought maybe had a partial blockage. On third day went to the ER, get blood work done, get X-ray, find nothing, blood work came back with elevated White blood cell count. Doc orders CT scan turns out I have Acute Diverticulitis (I'm 30). The drugs (Cipro and Flagyl) work, pain subsided and i can imagine they're fighting the infection as I write this, but man, the side effects are pretty terrible. Nausea, dizziness, upset stomach, metal taste in mouth, and feeling crappy overall from the side effects. I'm on day 3, like most reviews on here, it seems like the make or break moment. the pills are progressively harder to ingest because i dread the side effects. BUT I gotta let the meds run course"

Anonymoose123 November 21, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I did a google search for being on Cipro and Flagyl for diverticulitis for a few days because I was thinking there has to be a reason why these meds make me feel so bad and there has to be someone else who has shared this same Horrible experience! And then I read all of your reviews and as awful as these meds are they do actually help to make the pain go away and it's nice to know I'm not suffering alone! :)"

Kimike November 18, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Taking Flagyl and Cipro for diverticulitis, and got all the symptoms as everyone else. Dry mouth, headaches, funny taste in mouth, diarrhea and generally feel sluggish, tired and beside myself. Though I was the only one feeling like crap but the pain is gone and I too am on a better diet. Seven days left and I am throwing these empty bottles in the trash!"

SevenEleven November 3, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I was prescribed Flagyl and cipro Sunday night when I went to ER for severe abdominal pain. CT scan revealed acute colitis. Day 3 of antibiotics and now feeling nauseous, light headed, no appetite, vomiting and diarrhea. Pain gone but will suffer through if it clears up those pesky parasites. Doc said could be short or long term. I vote for short. The docs should warn of possible side effects to prepare a person."

Dragnldy (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Brown tongue, dry mouth, metallic taste, very yellow urine,"

Fralary (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on metronidazole (flagyl) & ciprofloxacin for diverticulitis. Let me start off by saying these two medications together SUCK, however they DO work. I have never had any problems with medications...ever. (in 40 years) This time though, at times, I thought I was dying! Best described as the worst flu ever. Massive nausea, occasional vomiting, diarrhea, exhaustion, horrible taste in my mouth, nothing tasted good, and my appetite was bad. Day 4 was the peak of feeling awful. I went to every review sight trying to gather what worked to curb the symptoms. Everyone is different so what worked for others, didn't necessarily work for me. Here is what did work for me a bit, in case it can help anyone else. 1.) Try to not take them together. Split up the doses by like an hour or so. 2.) Take each dose with a little food, (even if you aren't hungry) something bland. DO NOT USE DAIRY PRODUCTS. This made my nausea worse! 3.) Have mints or candy at all times. Your mouth will feel gross and things will taste funny. However, I found spearmints also helped sooth the tummy a bit. 4.) Pepto-Bismol. 5.) Try not to take them immediately before bed at night. Give it about an hour or two. I noticed nausea will wake me up throughout the night if I take them to close to going to sleep. GOOD LUCK, and remember: Your doctor prescribed these for a reason. A reason that could turn into life threatening unless you get it controlled. The worst thing ever is to start taking an antibiotic and then stopping it mid-cycle as your body then becomes immune to it and is essentially ineffective."

AmyS1006 October 3, 2016

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Made me nauseous and had the worst headache for the first three days. Yet, my symptoms were gone! So worth it. Still a little dizzy on the fourth day, but I need to finish up the 7 days."

Lv2tch October 2, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have taken this medication more than I have wanted to for Diverticulitis (this and cipro combined kill the infection) as well have taken for BV. Does it suck? Yes. Can it make you feel like crap? Absolutely. But suck it up and take the medication. Either push through the side effects or don't get better. Eat a small snack before taking. Immediately drink water - a full glass. Take on schedule and your issues will go way."

METRO aka Flagyl (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 25, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Makes my cigars taste like crap. 52 years old eat all the wrong foods never exercise. I'm as healthy as you can be blood work always comes back perfect. I only go to doc every 5 years for blood work, told me its time for a colonoscopy, went to see the GI doc and he thought i might have Diver. because of mild pain on left side CT scan came back good but won't do the colonoscopy unless I take 10 days of meds just in case I have a mild case of diver that ct scan did not pick up."

Anonymous September 15, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Flagyl (metronidazole): "This drug caused uncontrollable diarrhea and stomach upset and I had to stop taking it after just 2 days. This was given for mild diverticulitis and I got better with a liquid diet for several days then low fiber soft food then graduated to regular foods. I had another bout of diverticulitis 4 months later and just did the diet - didn't go to doctors of use antibiotics. For my mild cases this is the way to go. This drug caused more harm than good."

nonickname August 27, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm a 34 year old male in relatively good shape, active, and always on my feet... Have had diverticulitis off and on for four years. When it flares up the pain is terrible, coupled with a 50 hour a week job and two young children, it makes life a living hell... When I get a flare up (still can't figure out why I get them, everything seems to cause my guts to go crazy), I was put on flagyl and cipro. First few flare ups I stopped taking the medicine. I felt like absolute garbage - exhausted, nauseous, brain fog, and achy all over. Stopped taking them and let my body do its thing. This past bout was too much to handle and had to take the meds as directed. Day three and am feeling much better... The meds WORK! Endure, and get well"

Sto Jo August 15, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Flagyl (metronidazole): "This is my third diverticulitis event in 9 years, and each time I have been treated with Cipro and Flagyl, but I do not remember feeling so awful the first two times, nor do I remember the horrifically bad taste of the metronidazole (flagyl.) I can hardly get it down and after I do the horrible taste in my mouth is beyond description. I have resorted to immediately grabbing a lollipop to coat my mouth and pharynx with the sweet sugary taste, which actually does help. On top of that I am nauseated, dizzy, have a foggy brain, and nothing tastes normal or good, not even water. I am thankful for the improvement in the abdominal pain, as that shows that the horrid stuff is working, but dang, can't they put it in a capsule?"

trying to be thankful August 9, 2016

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Was hospitalized with my first case of diverticulitis in March of this year and was given Flagyl 3x daily for 3-4 weeks. Vomited violently in the hospital within 10 minutes after taking it each time until they started giving me something to coat my stomach a little beforehand. The entire time I had to take it, I felt like my stomach was being eaten from the inside. My taste buds changed totally while I was on it and nothing tasted normal. I agree, Flagyl is the worst medicine ever! I will suffer the pain from diverticulitis before taking it again!"

abeehamie (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2016