User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Diverticulitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Diverticulitis

"Went to the hospital with severe stomach pain. CT Scan diagnosed Diverticulitis. And and infection in my Intestine. I did a dumb thing I ate a very small amount of Carmel cheese popcorn to satisfy a craving. Now I am paying for it. The flare up is the result of taking pain medicine and the popcorn Which caused blockage. I've been in pain since Monday ER sent me home with med Have to see my GI surgeon on the 4th of December. The popcorn is on top of the fridge. I did not think just eating a Small amount this would happened. Haven't eaten popcorn in years. Now I am paying the price for being stupid. If you have this issue then listen to your Doctor's instructions."

Bee65 (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 29 just diagnosed with DiVerticulitis about 2 weeks ago. Spent 2 days in the hospital on an IV drip of Flagyl and bowel rest then sent home with this combo. Today is my last day and my pain has subsided but the side effects are wild. Didn't sleep much, got dizzy, dark urine and generally just felt off. The pills did taste horrible at first but like someone else said if you throw it down quick you don't notice it too much. Best of luck to all"

Travisp702 (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I'm on Flagl and cephalexin for diverticulitis. Today is day 4 and I feel lethargic. I sas in ER 2 days in a row for pain. Today feeling nauseous and getting diarrhea. I do not know if I can make it for ten days. (I am allergic to ciprofloxacin, penicillin,sulfa.) Soon as this is over going to immunologist to test if after 35 yrs. I can now tolerate some of the antibiotics I am allergic to because I have lung, urinary and now this is second bout of diverticulitis."

wjane47 (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis about 4 years ago after having an attack that sent me to the ER. I have been put on the Cipro/Metronidazole combo several different times and each time the side effects, in combination with the diverticulitis attack, made me miserable. I'm on the fifth day of my latest attack and the pain is finally starting subside but the misery invoked by metronidazole is horrible. I will remember to ask my doc for something else in the future. Nausea, dry mouth, horrible taste in my mouth, furry tongue, diarrhea, and sinus congestion/sore throat have been the side effects I am dealing with. I spent three days in bed and finally had to go back to work; but I'm miserable. I will be so glad to take the last dosage!"

Solegypsy607 September 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I have had to take this medicine numerous times, the ABSOLUTE best way to take it and not taste it is fill your mouth with Keifer and drop the pill in your mouth and then swallow. You will not taste the metallic taste!"

Anonymous September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had diverticulitis for 2 years but my recent honeymoon to Japan brought it out bad. For 8 days I suffered until I came home. The Dr put me on this and bactim ds. I feel like trash daily and it's day 3 now, I'm not sure how much longer I can deal with the all day headaches, the emotional rollercoaster I'm on or the stiff neck. I also get dizzy and lightheaded a lot. And yet I still have the pain in my lower left side. Tomorrow I'm begging for augmentin I can't ride this out. It's too much stress"

Tkat5200 August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Got prescribed Levofloxacin 750 MG once daily for 5 days and Metronidazole 500MG three times daily for 10 days for a bad diverticulitis flare up. First night on the metronidazole (Flagyl) was absolutely brutal. Pain went from 6/10 to a 10/10 about 3 hours from ingestion. Although this antibiotic is pretty aggressive, stick with it. Every pill gets easier to take than the one before. Try to take it with something on your stomach. I ate some soft white bread and yogurt and a glass of water. Rough first couple days, but I'm on day 5 of the meds and feeling almost back to normal."

30 year old dude (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on my 6 or 7 th attack of what the surgeon says is complicated/ uncomplicated diverticulitis in 4 months!! Back on the cipro & flagyl again for 14 days and I literally feel like I'm dying. I see the surgeon again on Friday. I am so scared to have the surgery. I keep hoping this is the last attack but it seems like every 2 weeks off for the antibiotics another attack. I can't keep living like this....."

gpratt August 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Metronidazole is horrible but really works I could not tolerate 400 mg so I take 200 it works the same less side effects."

Given up on my gut (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I appeared to have a kidney infection because of the pain. Dr gave me metronidazole but the side effects were horrible - I thought I was having a heart attack from the pain/pressure. Amoxicillin was tried but 3 weeks later little better. When I ran out of Amoxicillin within 24 hours I was in horrible pain again and went to the ER. Like others the Dr said everything is GREAT, you can go home. No way I feel like crap so he did a CT. The CT showed diverticulitis. Vindicated! But then he prescribed Cipro and metronidazole. I'd taken Cipro last year and it destroyed my knees...I was on crutches for months. Trying just the metronidazole, still feel crappy, but pain is going away. Why not Augmentin?"

Pleeze August 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After a month of pain that I could not bare.I had to go to the ER where I was diagnose with diverticulitis. I was on moxifloxacin and Tylenol. I had to go schedule a colonoscopy which shows nothing. I was revisited by the left side lower pain. Had to get Cipro and flagyl. No fever but reduce appetite. I am on but as stated by all, the metallic taste and feeling of weakness and sluggishness. My second day on medication will update as time goes on."

roy1 July 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I have had three episodes of Diverticulitus in the last five years. Because I had pretty rough experiences with Flagyl / Cipro combination in my previous episodes, I asked for the pharmacist to advise me, with my prior history in mind. I really wanted this time to be different. He said the most important advice is DO NOT USE ALCOHOL, which sounds like common sense; but that includes mouthwash. (you might swallow a bit) It's a slow recovery; absolutely. I live in So Cal and this was during a heat wave, but I slept day and night the first few days with a heating pad on my lower adbomen. The pharmacy confirmed Tylenol is okay pain, also. It's not a walk in the park, but I did better this time, even with other minor side effects."

Dory17 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ongoing bouts of diverticulitis. I tried to go without taking the flagyl and cipro but always end up back on it to heal . If you have diverticulitis and a fever you should be seen at the emergency room . Never get a colonoscopy if you feel infected. I was told you have to wait 8 weeks after diverticulitis to be safe having the procedure."

Zambony101 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began taking Flagyl on Saturday night to treat diverticulitis. I could not sleep at all that night or the following three nights. I lay in bed wide awake, with my leg muscles randomly fasciculating. I had a headache and neck ache from not being able to sleep. Occasionally, my entire body would suddenly jerk while I was lying in bed. I could not concentrate at work, and even though I am a Pharmacist, I kept forgetting the names of medications that I had been taking and the names of the medical conditions with which I had been diagnosed. I had been taking ibuprofen for a few days the prior week, and I had stopped taking ibuprofen due to heartburn. Even though I was on Protonix to treat my heartburn, Flagyl significantly worsened my pre-existing heartburn to the point where I had to stand erect throughout the day and night, moaning with pain. My epigastric pain would begin about an hour after taking Flagyl and be at its worst four hours later. I also felt as if I constantly had to urinate, but only a small amount of urine would come out each time. My mouth was extremely dry with a metallic taste and a furry looking tongue. I ended up in the ER the following Wednesday writhing in epigastric pain which was a “10” on the 1-10 pain scale. I literally thought that I was going to die, and I spoke with loved ones by phone to say my good-byes. My blood pressure was moderately elevated and my ECG, which had always been normal, was now “borderline with atrial enlargement”. My ER doc switched me to Augmentin, and my Flagyl-related adverse reactions rapidly subsided. Flagyl significantly helped my diverticulitis, but at a horrible cost in terms of lost sleep, lost work, poor work, personal and family anxieties, and time spent at the ER. If your doctor prescribes Flagyl, my advice is to ask him/her if there is an alternative antibiotic, especially if you have any pre-existing gastroesophageal problems. All of my adverse events appear in the Flagyl labeling: epigastric distress, abdominal cramping, incoordination, confusion, insomnia, a sharp, unpleasant metallic taste, dryness of the mouth, furry tongue, glossitis, stomatitis, flattening of the T-wave in electrocardiographic tracings, polyuria, a sense of pelvic pressure, convulsive seizures. "

SaddleRiverKid (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just diagnosed with acute diverticulitis. I am on day 3 with of flagyl and bactrim and I feel horrible. Break out in sweats where I am actually dripping and still have fever of 102. Anyone else have this experience and is it normal. Thanks"

Kate20174 July 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I hate this drug. Hate it, hate it, hate it. I have to take it 4 times a day for 14 days. My doctor is sadistic. I'm so nauseous I can barely breath. Even on anti-nausea meds! I have no energy. I can't sleep. My head hurts. This feels 10x worse than the flu. But it works. It will help heal the diverticulitis. It always does. And every time it sucks."

Owwww (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I had side effects from these drugs but found when I did not take them at the same time it wasn't as bad. In States where it's legal, THC help with the diverticulitis as well as the side effects of flagyl and cipro."

Jacche July 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Leaves the worst metalic taste in your mouth, my heart has been racing 100+ off and on since I have been on this. Started 7 days ago and still have 3 to go."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I hate this drug so much I can hardly stand it. Unfortunately, this (with Cipro) seems to be the only viable treatment. Hate this so much I waited 2 weeks hoping it would go away by itself. Now on day 3. Sick as a dog. Nausea. Uncontrollable diarrhea. Dreadfully groggy, like I've taken sleeping pills. Lucky I'm retired, I can't leave the house. Can't get off the couch."

Anonymous June 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just finished my second course of taking Metronidazole, 500 mg, 3 x day for 7 days. I was taking this along with Ciproflaxacin for recurring diverticulitis. The first course was six weeks ago, but at 400 mg instead of 500 mg. Side effects in round one included bad metallic taste in my mouth which lasted the entire course, headache/pain behind my left eye, on and off nausea. This most recent course was a bit more harsh with the constant metallic taste in my mouth and severe fatigue, but no headaches this time. The meds seem to do the trick with getting rid of the stomach pains on the lower left side of my abdomen, but the side effects are unpleasant. Best advice is to try and ride it out if you can as the meds work."

tci1210 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"If I could give a neg 100 I would. I hate this drug. Horrible side effects, I'm still dizzy and have brainfog after 3 months. I had a severe headache, vomiting, severe anxiety, horrible brainfog, fatigue, no appetite. I still have anxiety! Cipro, or any fluoroquinolone are usually prescribed with this. I have to say shame on all the doctors who give any fluoroquinolone out since Bayer themselves and the FDA sent out warning letters. FDA safety review found that both oral and injectable fluroquinolones are associated with disabling side effects involving tendons, muscles, joints, nerves and the central nervous system. These side effects can occur hours to weeks after exposure to fluoroquinolones and may potentially be permanent. "

Cindyrella4545 April 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on Cipro 2x & Flagyl 3x for 7 days after diverticulitis attack. Feeling hungry but don't want to eat. Feeling lightheaded, a little nauseous at times, no energy, no ambition. Flagyl taste is disgusting. No way I was going to be able to take that 3x a day for 14 days so I cover it with peanut butter and then swallow (just like the dogs)!! Pain was pretty much gone after a couple of days but hardest part is the bland diet and no or very little calcium. Think some extra spicy hummus brought this on. May have to give up the hot peppers."

AjaDiamond March 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I to have diverticulitis....while in the hospital for this the healthcare team emphasized over and over that the GMO's allowed into our country are the root cause of this horrific problem. The drugs are both helpful for infection but can cause so many life changing side effects you have to weigh your odds. Why not just stop buying foods with GMOs and begin to take action to fight the idiots who are suppose to be protecting our food and drug system! It's all about greed and at our expense!"

PAaaaaaaaaah March 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"wow....is all i can say. I was in a terrible state one week ago today. Woke up at 5 am to pain in lower abdomen and was in the bathroom the best part of 3 hrs straight. By 730am losing just blood three hrs of this and hospital it was. I was hooked to iv fluids and meds..numerous tests run to nothing showing up seriously!!! I was sent home after 6 hrs..with cipro one two times daily and and flagyl one three times a day. It was on top of reg meds for bp and R .oh boy nothing in stomach, feeling ill, popping all these pills took a few days to eat anything. My gut is in an awful state woke up many nights feeling ill, mornings are the worst I feel like throwing up. Then last night I woke to vomit in mouth..sorry...but these meds are brutal. I'm done..and stomach still a mess."

dgould (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Combined with Cipro, it appears to be an effective treatment. The unpleasant taste of the pill makes one apprehensive."

JimC15 February 3, 2017