User Reviews for Cefdinir to treat Strep Throat

Cefdinir Rating Summary

4.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 21 medications used in the treatment of Strep Throat.

Reviews for Cefdinir

Joyce · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2020

“I was on this medication for sinus infection. After the first day really bad back ,hip and leg pain.I will never take this again.”

StephanieWorhl · Taken for less than 1 month April 27, 2020

“Doctor prescribed cefdinir for stubborn strep that didn't respond to two other antibiotics. This one cleared it up! Thankful for that. However, I developed horrible ear pain. Unsure if it was a side effect of this medication or something else entirely. The ear pain cleared up after a couple of weeks off meds.”

JMac March 19, 2020

“Was prescribed this cefdinir for strep throat. The side effects are terrible. Worse than strep itself. Extreme fatigue, weakness, fogginess and stomach issues. Will not take this again.”

AshtynRaye · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2020

“I have an episode of strep throat with severe pain on one side. Am allergic to penicillin, so doctor initially prescribed Azithromycin, which didn't knock out the strep infection. Was then prescribed Cefdinir. I was hopeful at first, after 3 days I felt slightly improved. Then after 5 days, I began experiencing unbearable headaches on the right side of my neck and severe neck pain. Unsure if this was a medication reaction or just the strep throat coming back. After 6 days doctor switched me to clindamycin. Fingers crossed this next antibiotic brings me some relief. Didn't clear infection.”

Coffenite · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2020

“I’ve had strep throat for a little less than a week. Two days ago, doc prescribed Cefdinir. The good is that my throat itself feels better. The bad? Nothing else does. The foggy “stoned” feeling that always accompanies the majority of my infections is still going super strong. I’m still rocking a 103* fever, my energy level hasn’t picked up one iota, and I can’t eat anything because I’m nauseous, and I’m partially nauseous because I can’t eat anything. I’m cycling between chills and sweats in a way I can’t keep track of. To me, cefdinir is minor league. Never will I go back to it for strep.”

Revdi3 · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2019

“After having the worst sore throat I've ever had, I was prescribed a z-pack. After two days I got into my pcp because I still couldn't swallow. After day three of cefdinir, the pain had subsided by 80%.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 11, 2019

“I was prescribed cefdinir for a bout of strep throat I had going on in 2017. I explained I was allergic to penicillin and that I am usually prescribed a zpack (I had strep throat numerous times growing up.) The doctor mentioned that the zpack wouldn’t be strong enough and that this would work. Whelp...it worked alright. After taking it twice daily for 8 days of 10, I’ve been dealing with more GI issues than I had in the past that no doctor can seem to resolve. I’m in pain almost everyday and diagnosed proctitis which I can only assume was caused by or at least initiated by this drug. Always question your doctor, they are human and make mistakes. Please steer clear of this drug for your health. I wish I would have.”

AnnaSum · Taken for less than 1 month December 7, 2019

“Awful, awful experience with this drug cefdinir for strep throat. I had been sick for two weeks and my husband had tested positive for strep, so I decided to go to the doctor and he said might as well treat for strep. He prescribed Cefdinir 300 mg. I waited until the next day to start. 45 mins after taking the first dose I suddenly had a migraine (which i do sometimes get), but my stomach also started hurting. Both became so intense I decided I needed to lay down. I had chills and hot flashes and my vision started blurring and it felt as if I were on a boat. After an hour of taking the dosage, I threw up and felt slightly better. I then slept 5-6 hours and still woke up with a bit of a headache and stomach ache. I felt worse after taking this drug than I did suffering through two weeks of being sick.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2019

“After one day of having an incredibly sore throat I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with strep throat. Since I’m allergic to penicillin I was prescribed cefdinir. Got rid of strep in a matter of a few days but side effect was painful diarrhea. Before taking this medication this was not a symptom at all. Slowly I stopped taking the medication because the strep had vanished completely and the diarrhea was getting worse everyday. Now that I am completely off the antibiotic the diarrhea is worse than ever, I’m extremely nauseous, I feel like I have a fever and my head is killing me. As for my throat I feel like the strep could possibly be coming back but no definitive pain yet. Worth it at first but side effects and mostly the afterwards side effects are worse than the original throat pain.”

Betty April 8, 2019

“I didn't have a problem with cefdinir at all, it was for strep throat with 103 fever and couldn’t swallow. I took this day 3 of having strep. It is now 5 days later and have tomorrow’s dose left. Worked for me. I do not have much of an appetite though but that might not be due to the drug.”

Kk2233 · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2019

“Had strep and was prescribed a z-pack. Finished it and strep came back right away. Went to urgent care this time was prescribed Cefdinir. I am on day 5 out of 10. Throat still hurt until day 3 or 4 but not as bad as it did before the meds. Was tolerable. I didn’t need the lidocaine prescribed or Ibuprofen after day 2. Had an immediate result the night I started this. I could barely even swallow and hours after taking this felt slight relief. Day 5 was the first day I could say throat didn’t hurt. Side effects were gassy stomach, some mild nausea. Nothing really. Overall think it’s good. Feel drastically better.”

Bear68 · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2018

“My son was prescribed this for strep throat. After a couple days of taking it he was doubled over with severe stomach pain. Then the diarrhea set in. I stopped giving it to him and took him back to the Dr. to get a different medication. They asked us to bring a stool sample and when it was tested, concluded that he now had c-diff, on top of strep throat, caused by the antibiotic. I will never use this medication again.”

Aj · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2018

“Do not give this to you kids. I repeat do not give this to your kids. When pediatrician prescribes this drug for you child ask her about the side effects or alternate medicine like amoxicillin or penicillin. This drug need to be banned. Please parents do your research before you give this to your child. Side effects are very severe. Not only your child will suffer because of this drug but you will suffer as well. I advise all the parents to be very careful with Cefdinir.”

Arden June 5, 2018

“Was prescribed this for severe strep throat, which got a lot better within 2 days. But it made me so nauseous, even with probiotics and food. Strep returned immediately after I finished the antibiotics.”

Sunny · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2018

“I got this yesterday, took first dose at 6:30pm the throat pain subsided, fever broke but at 9pm sore throat came back with a vengence. It is 10:30am the next day, I took my second dose at 6am. No relief of throat pain, it hurt all night long n fever is back also! This antibiotic is worthless. I'm on 300mg one pill every 12 hours. How long should I wait to see if it's going to work? I'm thinking of going to er. I don't think I can take this pain all weekend long.”

Mariavarkulla · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2018

“I have step throat (day 2) I got prescribed this medication. After the first pill kicked in, I felt better already. Don't listen to people who say don't listen to the people who gave 1 stars. Well obviously if you're educated in the medical field, everybody reacts differently to medication. Just because it works for you, doesn't mean it does for everyone else. Everyone is not you. My mother in law and I take the same antidepressants. She doesn't gain weight and I do. You understand what I'm saying? So leave your opinions to yourself. It's a hit and miss with everyone and different meds.”

K.a. December 16, 2017

“When I was first prescribed this for strep, I came here to look at reviews and was scared at first. Three days later, I feel a lot better and the worst side affect I've had was slight nausea for about a half hour after taking it. It works amazingly.”

Carlyy December 1, 2017

“I went to the doctor three days ago and my doctor prescribed cefdinir. I have a double ear infection, sinus infection, bronchitis, and there was the possibility of strep. So she decided to kill 4 birds with one stone. I have been running a 101-102 temp while alternating Ibuprofen and Tylenol every two to three hours. I can't manage to get warm and stay that way. I've been battling not having a voice for about 7 and a half months now, I almost had it back til I got sick this time, and ever since I started taking this medicine it's getting worse. I get nauseous even if I eat with it.”

taylor48953 · Taken for less than 1 month October 15, 2017

“I was prescribed this for suspected strep throat. I had fever, ear pain, & swollen tonsils so my doctor went ahead and prescribed this before the culture came back. The first day I had loose stools & nausea. This continued until the fifth day I had muscle pain that otc pain meds couldn't relieve. It was a struggle to walk to the bathroom. Pounding headache, sensitivity to light. Watery diarrhea, severe stomach cramps. Fever and body chills--my entire body was trembling & teeth were chattering. I've taken many antibiotics in the past & this is the first one that has given me trouble. I wish I had been prescribed amoxicillan, I tolerate it much better.”

Mom2boysX2 · Taken for less than 1 month July 5, 2017

“Got prescribed Cefdinir for Strep Throat and sinus infection and ear infection. I have a penicillin allergy that cause hives and hallucinations and it shows up on day 10 of taking penicillin. My doctor is aware I have this allergy. They prescribed Cefdinir and said that I will have a 10% chance of being allergic to this as well. So I got the prescription filled and took it like I was supposed to. On day 10 I woke up and my face is swollen, and wheezing. Discontinued taking the medication. I took some benadryl and ibuprophen and it didn't touch my reaction. I went to the doctor the next morning and they ended up giving me an Epi shot in my arm and a steroid shot in my hip and prescribed Predisone for 4 days after that. Anaphylactic reaction.”

Concernedmom88 May 30, 2017

“My daughter had an non IGE mediated allergic reaction to this medication in Sept 2016 and in May 2017. It caused to her have high fever and chills, temps of 104.6 for 5 days in a row and stomach pain behind her belly button. She threw up one morning from the fever.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 12, 2016

“My husband was given this for strep throat. It did not help at all. After 6 days on this medication, he still had pus in his throat. Dr switched him to new antibiotic and he felt so much better within 5 hours”

Hy91896 July 31, 2016

“I've got strep throat probably about 4 times in the last 12 months, I've usually got Amoxicillin for strep (what my dr always prescribes) a couple months ago when I got strep throat, I went to my dr and it was after hours so I seen someone I never seen before. She gave me a steroid shot for swelling and also a antibiotic shot, prescribed cefdinir two times daily for ten days. It worked great! I felt better after two pills the first night. Well I got it again a few days ago and was prescribed cefdinir again and I'm so glad because it works super fast! Better than amoxicillin in my opinion. The only side affect is diarrhea. I haven't really had it this time but I did the first time I took it. LOVE this medicine. I recommend it.”

Works good for sinus and bronc · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2016

“The zpacks and erthromycin gives me horrible stomach pain burning and diarhea. Cefdiner does not at all. Make sure to take 12 hours apart and dont take alcohol or vitamins and it will help the medicine work.”

Island88 · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2016

“Read all the reviews and don't agree with any of them. I felt a huge improvement only after the 1st dose. I only took two doses so far and so far so good!!”

Learn more about Strep Throat