User Reviews for Cefdinir

Also known as: Omnicef, Omnicef Omni-Pac

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Cefdinir.

Cefdinir Rating Summary

4.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 125 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Cefdinir to treat Bronchitis

Omnicef (cefdinir): "Day 5. Still coughing up gunk. Wheezing some. No voice. Not really feeling any relief. Have to call my Dr again in the morning."

SGeeeee (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given this drug for bronchitis. I've had the worst diarrhea, dizziness and nausea. I need to be near a toilet at all times for fear of destroying my pants. (sorry for the TMI). I'm starting to get better so, rather than feel like I have an intestinal virus I'm just stopping the drug and riding out the rest of the bronchitis. That should tell you how awful I feel while taking this."

Heather110 April 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed Cefdinir 300mg 2x daily for 10 days. I even took 30 billion culture probiotics daily to PREVENT this side effect. Made it to day 5 and began experiencing horrible abdominal pain. A few hours later, diarrhea started. I even vomited 6 times on top of it. I obviously stopped taking it and day 2, the abdominal pain is about half of what it was. Still have very uncomfortable diarrhea every 1-2 hours... Sleeping 18 hours a day and very weak. Stay away from this antibiotic. I agree it should be prescribed VERY carefully or just taken off the market completely. The loss of work this is causing has been horrible and if terminated because of this, I plan on taking action any extent I can."

RoflPantofl March 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was on this for 3 days and had very watery diarrhea for all of them. When I informed my doctor, she told me to immediately stop taking it because of the risk of it possibly killing all good bacteria in my gut, which would require other medications to treat. The drug also did very little to ease my other symptoms. I ended up taking z-pak instead and it worked well."

Sara Nicole (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Do any of you people whining about diarrhea realize that all antibiotics can cause diarrhea? Would you rather have loose stools or die of pneumonia... seems like a no-brainer to me. It is not the doctor's job~more like the pharmacist and your own since you are your own advocate for your health to adequately research the drugs you put into your body! Yikes!!! Your doctor is attempting to help you get better."

Steele's mom (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Cefdining for an upper respiratory infection and within 4 days I had the worse vaginal itching. I stopped using this medicine and my symptoms have calmed down.This medicine is horrible!"

Lynn Purifoy (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribes this for a 3 week cough suspected walking pneumonia or bronchitis and cough is calming but 3 days into this and the diarrhea is horrible. Feels like I am prepping for a colonoscopy. Stomach is constantly gurgling and roiling. Deficating while coughing at times. I am calling doc to ask for something else cause I can't leave the house with this diarrhea. Need to get on a plane in 6 days. There must be something with less diarrhea side effect"

Elle91 (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Day 5 of 7, 300mg bid, and still having fevers and persistent cough. I went back to clinic and saw NP and she gave me a Z-pak, a dexamethasone IM, and rocephin shot. I hope to feel better soon. This medication didn't help me but it didn't give me diarrhea either. I don't recommend it."

Bella1122 May 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Day 10 my 10yr old son started painful itching. Took advil, zyrtec & called Dr. Instructed to give Benadryl. Next day welts all over, hot red rash coming & going in waves. Severe joint pain, cough & puffiness around eyes. Dr. reluctant to classify reaction as allergy to antibiotic, pointed out that he'd taken same antibiotic 5 months prior & no reaction. I suggested that 1st exposure = sensitized & 2nd exposure elicits reaction. Pedi finally agreed with Mom's assessment, prescribed oral steroid. Six days later, moderate symptom control on double dose benadryl, 20mg prednisone, albuterol for shortness of breath. Dr says not anaphylaxis. I suspect otherwise & have epipen. He's only comfortable when medicated. Bad drug!"

Good4life March 31, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After receiving this medication, nothing has changed at all! I still have fevers, coughing fits, and a horrible headache. It hurts to lift my head off of the pillows and even walk around since my joints hurt from the fevers. Matter of fact, my fevers have been increasing rather than decreasing! Other medications I have taken worked as soon as I ingested it. I would not recommend to anyone."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug is awful. I finished 7 days of it and I still have side effects. It sure makes people so much sicker. Not sure why its being prescribed.... Never had so many side effects on any med. The gut issues seem to be the worst I tell everyone not to take it. Must be better drugs somewhere"

sammisol January 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Omnicef (cefdinir): "Worst experience ever. I took one capsule and two hours started diarrhea. I only took one more tablet 12 hours later. I had diarrhea for 4 weeks. I had hemorrhoid flair up. Never again will I take this drug. I think it took about 4 months to get my gut straightened out. Be very cautious of this drug"

Shutterbug 65 January 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Omnicef (cefdinir): "I was prescribed 300mg Omnicef. 1 capsule 2x a day. Very bad experience. I have had extreme diarrhea since the third day of taking this med. it is now 2 weeks after I finished the dose and am still experiencing problems. This med kills every "good" bacteria in your gut. I've been taking several different kinds of probiotics trying to get myself back to normal. This has been and still is an awful experience. Do not take this unless you like running to the bathroom every 30 minutes for weeks on end. I have not been able to eat much of anything and am still loosing too much weight. It is a very dangerous drug. I will NEVER take this again. "

Offroady November 20, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I felt MUCH better rather quickly, however, roughly 3 days into the medication I experienced diarhea which subsided by day 5 and was followed by horrid itching of my anus. On day 9 the itching had spread to my lady areas. I am miserable and will never take this again...."

Miserably Itchy October 31, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this medication for a respiratory infection. It gave me severe, relentless diarrhea that I am still suffering from a year later. I have been hospitalized numerous times from it. It has completely disabled me."

This Drug Ruined My Life (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on my 1st dose, and after having bronchitis for the past 6 days and feeling horrid, I feel 100% better after only 6 hours. No side effects as of this time. Taking in conjunction with an albuterol inhaler."

Mari001 July 2, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"it cleared up the bronchitis in a short time frame. Side effects is fatigue, loose stools. Lots of yogurt and rest, Doctor combined it with short blast of steroids. The other doctor helped with a breathing treatment and cough medicine with codeine for night. Was nice to be able to sleep, It was a good drug for me. I am a non smoker; but the dust and stuff at work just made the cold a monster to get rid of."

Anonymous June 11, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on day 3 of cefdinir for bronchitis. I can tell my coughing is much better but now I have horrible diarrhea, to the point I have accidents when I cough. My stomach makes horrible sounds as well. My Dr. did not tell me anything at all about the side effects so I was not prepared to take with yogurt or probiotics. And I had a horrible reaction in the past to Metformin so she should know that I already have these issues. Time for different med and Dr."

moonbeambaby May 1, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Chronic diarrhea after 3 days fatigue nauseated bloated. Will avoid."

Number3 February 17, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Omnicef (cefdinir): "Cleared my symptoms in 24 hours after 2 days in the hospital with levaquin iv, which did nothing."

JACKTHEBEAR (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I found this medication to be quite effective beginning on the first day of using it. I was prescribed this medication for Bronchitis, Sinus Infection, and Possible Pneumonia. It has worked wonders in draining my sinuses and helping my cough. As far as side effects go, I have none. At first there was mild nausea and a lack of appetite but that has been it. I have the liquid form of this medication and it said to take 1 teaspoon every 12 hours, but I have opted to take 1/2 teaspoon every six hours 4 times a day, which has worked out a lot better in controlling my nausea. I have one more week to go on this medication, but so far so good."

chemoangel (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Terrible watery diarrhea and gas. Bronchitis is better though!"

wheezy (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Omnicef (cefdinir): "Within 36 hrs symptoms started to subside. Had no side effects with stomach (take with food). I suffer from bronchitis about twice a year. This medication was much more effective than Z-packs, Amoxicillin, or Cipro. I started getting mild headaches around day 4, Felt better but didn't clear up cough and wheezing. "

Stardust Steve February 7, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Omnicef (cefdinir): "It cleared me right up, stopped coughing like over night. I am also on methylpredisolone and inhaler."

laurie69 September 9, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed this medicine on Saturday along with a burst of prednisone for 5 days. Cefdinir really cleared my condition but the side effects caused me to discontinue after 6 days due to chronic diarrhea which has not stopped after stopping this medicine. Unusual fatigue. 1 day no urine. Lost 10 lbs. Will avoid using this drug."

59 yr old December 20, 2010