User Reviews for Cefdinir to treat Otitis Media

Cefdinir has an average rating of 4.2 out of 10 from a total of 59 ratings for the treatment of Otitis Media. 27% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 56% reported a negative effect.

Cefdinir Rating Summary

4.2/10 average rating

Compare all 72 medications used in the treatment of Otitis Media.

Reviews for Cefdinir

BG46342 · Taken for less than 1 month July 13, 2021

“Very happy with my overall experience on this medicine. I had a severe ear infection and other antibiotics did not help. After taking this I am much better than I have been yet. Although the infection is not fully gone, it is less than it was. The worst part about this was the loose stool but I can handle that in comparison to anything else. Personally I would recommend this but this is just my experience and everyone is different.”

Chronic Ear Infection · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2021

“First time on this medication. I usually take amoxicillin, but the stomach pain and my other meds can interfere with it so I was given 300 mg capsules to take twice daily for 7 days. It cleared up the infection fine, but I am coughing so hard its knocking the wind out of me and causing chest pain. Not to mention that with covid around, coughing my lungs out at school isn't ideal. Haven't had any other side effects, or if I have, its been overshadowed by my second covid shot side effects. I'd rather the stomach ache to this, honestly.”

Thereviewsdontlie · Taken for less than 1 month December 15, 2020

“This is by far the worse medication I have ever been on. I’m allergic to amoxicillin so cefdinir was prescribed to cure my ear infection. I can’t begin to explain the horror with this medication. I had awful chest, back, and arm pains, I had this pain when I would breathe in the back of my throat that was almost similar to how it feels with my asthma attacks, I had ringing in my ears, awful anxiety(which really sucks because I was finally doing better with my panic attacks), fatigue, and stomach burning. I stopped the medication after 4 days, this drug is definitely a nightmare! I’d prefer the ear infection.”

Anonymous November 23, 2019

“I'm stunned reading the bad reviews. I've taken this drug on 2 different occasions for sinus infection. No side effects and infection cleared up. Anytime I take an antibiotic I always take probiotic supplements. On the norm I eat greek yogurt (not low fat) everyday for breakfast. So sorry for all those that had such bad experiences and adverse reactions.”

Keemo · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2019

“I should have reviewed this terrible medication cefdinir months ago. I know I will never take this medication again. I have never had any reaction to any other antibiotics before. Healthy 50 year old. I tend to resist new medications just because of reading side affects. I did not check this prior to taking. I was prescribed this for an ear infection. I did not research this medication before because I thought it must have only happened to me, but now my grandson was prescribed this as well and I needed to see if anyone else had my experience. Too many reviews with similar experiences. I was able to take it nine days until excessive diarrhea, vomiting profusely, temperature, and abdominal cramps. Four days clear liquids, 5 days of the BRAT (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) diet, 2 trips to the ER. Bottom line, destroys the good bacteria inside you and the bad bacteria takes over. Intense stomach pain lasted 14 days. I hope review this helps someone before they start taking it. Stick with the basic antibiotics.”

Sagal January 23, 2016

“Cefdinir is a good medication and has worked for both sinus and ear infections that I have had. All doctors should also inform their patients you MUST take a probiotic while on this medication. It eliminates the diarrhea, headaches and many other side effects I am seeing in the responses below.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 20, 2019

“I was put on this cefdinir med after a sinus procedure. After 4 days my body felt like it was being poisoned. On day 6- My heart fluttered uncomfortably along with horrible stomach pain. I went into urgent care. My ALT liver enzymes were elevated. This stuff is harsh on the body. I discontinued use that day and Drank lots of water. I began to feel slightly better. Possibly due to allowing my body to flush it out of its system. I do not like this drug.”

ShellMercer · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 19, 2016

“My oldest son had ear infections monthly for nearly 2yrs. Doctors only prescribed cedifner when the infection was really bad, otherwise it was Amoxocillian. Both cleared his infections, though cefdiner worked faster. No reactions. My youngest son turned out to be allergic to Amoxocillian which gave him puffy horrid diaper rashes. He is only able to take Cefdiner and has no reactions to that antibiotic.”

Temberton November 25, 2010

“ALLERGIC REACTION! My 11-year-old son started taking Cefdinir because he had an ear infection. After the 7th dose, he started complaining of a "burning" pain in his feet and hands. I suspected it was a reaction to the Cefdinir, STOPPED giving him the medication, and contacted his doctor's office to notify them. He is NOT taking a new antibiotic. However, three days AFTER the last dose of Cefdinir, he has developed a new symptom: an allergic rash. He has a red rash on his arms and legs. Allergy to Cefdinir confirmed! Please follow your gut instinct if you have any reason to suspect an allergy to medication! I'm so glad I followed mine!”

Mj · Taken for less than 1 month August 21, 2020

“My daughter was prescribed this cefdinir and she has been dealing with all the bad common side affects. She is missing a day of school now because she is so sick. I can’t understand why her Dr. would prescribe this. She has had always taken amoxicillin in the past with zero issues. They shouldn't be prescribing this stuff”

Anonymous November 6, 2010

Omnicef (cefdinir): “My daughter, who was 14 months at the time, had a severe reaction to this medication after being prescribed for 3rd ear infection in a year. She actually got worse and had severe side effects (aside from the gastrointestinal as mentioned by others) including vomiting, continued high fever and by the end of the second day - hives. I list it as a drug allergy now on all her medical paperwork.”

Jennilynne82 January 1, 2010

Omnicef (cefdinir): “My son had an ear infection and the doctor always gives amoxicillin first and it never works he always has to get Omnicef and then he starts getting better, he does have light diarrhea occasionally but nothing too horrible. I've had an ear infection myself and I was sick for 2 weeks before I went to the doctor. Thought I had a bad cold but when it just wouldn't go away found I had fluid build up in my ear. They prescribed Omnicef and it worked. I didn't have any diarrhea even though I already have severe IBS! I'd definitely recommend it.”

CoffeeGoddess · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2013

“Just starting day 3 of Cefdinir for double middle ear infections. Almost immediately the drainage down my throat was better and today I can actually talk without coughing each time I open my mouth so it appears to be getting rid of all the fluid. Slight amount of diarrhea, but not too bad. So far it appears to be working. Hoping that at least some of my hearing will start to return.”

Anonymous November 9, 2011

Omnicef (cefdinir): “This is my first time taking this medicine. I was diagnosed with bronchitis and ear infection. I was told to take probiotics to prevent any diarrhea. I have not had any side effects. I'm feeling much better.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2019

“First 3 doses had itching, but no rash. After that no more itching for the rest of the course. No other side effects. Worked great. As I was sure I wouldn't get anaphylaxis or Stevens-Johnson Syndrome from a new drug, I opened the capsules, poured out the contents, licked my finger and dipped it in the powder, licked the powder off, then downed it with 2 cups water. Had no itching after the first 3 pills, so I eventually stopped worrying and took whole capsules at once. Cefdinir isn't like ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, or moxifloxacin (fluoroquinolones) -- those antibiotics leave people permanently disabled for the rest of their lives.”

Anonymous June 21, 2010

Omnicef (cefdinir): “This is the only antibiotic I will request for both of my children when they have ear infections. It is a one dose a day medicine that begins working very quickly and clears the infection. Diarrhea is a side effect, but can be controlled with diet and limiting dairy.”

Mommy0323 June 17, 2016

“My 6 year old Daughter was given this medication for supposed wheezing in her lungs . 3rd dose she broke out all over her face & body! Itched horribly. Ended up taking her to an ER & doctor said to immediately stop this medication & had to give her a cortisone shot to reduce the rash :( I strongly advise to reconsider if given this medication and you have other options.”

momof3kiddos · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2015

“My daughter who is 1yr old was prescribed this medication for an ear infection. This is her very first one so I thought they would prescribe amoxicillin. She developed a very bad rash on her stomach, chest and back. I immediately called her doctor and they switched her meds. She's now on azithromycin, hopefully this one works. They also put her on a steroid to help with the rash. ”

Anonymous April 13, 2009

Omnicef (cefdinir): “My son who just turned one year old was prescribed this medication after 2 medications prior did not work to cure his ear infection. I was skeptical of using this medication at first but after the desired result was achieved I certainly do not regret it.”

Anonymous035 January 31, 2017

“My son was prescribed this medication due to an ear infection. After about 3 days on it his whole body was covered in hives. He had huge welts from head to toe. He was 2 at the time. He was given steroids to help bring down the hives and his feet swelled like balloons. He was on the steroids for 2 days before his feet swelled. I do not recommend this antibiotic for younger kids. Very bad experience. Please stay away at all costs.”

Anonymous November 7, 2011

Omnicef (cefdinir): “My son has taken this before and it worked fine. My 17 month old daughter was just prescribed this after amoxicillin didn't take care of her ear infection. After 4 days, her gums swelled up really bad, became bright red and then started bleeding on the 5 day. She also developed diarrhea. I immediately took her back and they put her on Zithromax. I think we are finally on something that will work for her. My son can take this medication, but my daughter can't.”

Islandbeauty1 January 17, 2017

“My 11 year old son got put on this drug for ear infection. He is allergic to Amoxicillin, so they prescribed Cefdinir. He took it one time before and had no issues. This time however on day 8 of 10, he broke out in severe hives all over his body. Had to counteract with Benadryl. Took him to urgent care and they prescribed prednisalone for 5 days. On day 3 now and still have not seen any improvement. I am trying to be hopeful that by day 4 I will see some. Has anyone had a similar experience?”

Kim2 February 8, 2016

“My daughter will be one this week. She was put on cefdinir for an ear infection that didn't clear after amoxicillin treatment. Today (third day) she broke out in hives on her back,chest and neck. She also has nasty reddish diarrhea that is giving her an awful diaper rash. The doctor told me to stop the medicine, give her benadryl and bring her for an appointment tomorrow morning. She is clearly allergic.”

RiverT · Taken for less than 1 month March 6, 2017

“I was given this after I returned from a trip to Texas. Double ear infection and strep. After 4 days on this med, my tongue feels like it's numb, my throat feels like there is a giant lump in there. My ears are ringing nonstop and there is still fluid in there. My heart races for the first hour after taking this, I'm dizzy and for some odd reason my feet sweat like crazy ( I have never had sweaty feet, ever). I called the Dr's office today and they will get back to me.”

Tiffnvb May 23, 2016

“By far the worst drug ever made. This drug is a synthetic which is why no wonder it does not work. I've been sick for 9 days but been on this for 7 days taking it twice a day religiously. Went into the urgent care bc my ear was hurting for the 1st time in my life, my throat was swollen & hurts so much to even barely even swallow my own spit, miragraine, dizzy, coughing, running nose, & my body so weak I had trouble walking. After 7 days being on it's not working. Caused my other ear after 2 days to hurt. Both ears are so muffed I can't hear a thing. Now have to take the z-pack I normally take when I'm sick that she called in. FYI when u tell a doctor what works for u do not settle for what they think u should take. Know ur body!!”

Natalie D. February 27, 2017

“I was given this drug for an ear infection, taken 2 times a day for 10 days. After the first day, I had diarrhea and nausea. I stopped taking this on day 4, the symptoms were too much and my ears felt no improvement.”

Tongue of fire? December 27, 2016

“My prescription was prescribed by my GP for an ear infection. After 5 days my mouth became very sore & I called & spoke with the nurse who said keep taking it. Keep taking it?? My mouth is on fire. The tongue, gums, roof. I quit. It is now 20 days later and my condition is the same. My dentist prescribed a mouthwash and it helps but I am trying Biotin mouthwash now as I read online was good for this condition and it does give great relief. I hope this helps someone else as this is not a comfortable feeling.”

kenmiaou · Taken for less than 1 month September 29, 2018

“This medication has done absolutely nothing for me thus far. The only thing I’ve noticed that’s happened is that the infection is jumping around to different parts of my respiratory tract as well now. Sinus pain, stuffy nose one second, the next I’m coughing up nastiness, and then the pain and infection goes back to my ear, or to my throat, etc.... I would think it was just me expelling all of the gross stuff from each of those places, but the process has started to repeat itself now. I’m calling back and asking for amoxicillin.”