User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Amoxicillin/clavulanate Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Strep Throat.

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate to treat Strep Throat

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "So, got another strep infection. Haven't had one in a couple years. But you can always tell because you get fever and chills (like seizure shaking), pain when you swallow, and my tell-tale sign--dragon-hot Fire breath. Anyway, checked my throat out and it was bright red with white spots, patches of pus. I went to urgent care on my lunch and sure enough rapid strep test positive. I was prescribed augmentin 875 twice per day for 10 days. I just took my third pill and I already feel so much better. Wish I hadn't have waited 2 days."

Nurse Kate (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "On tamiflu for the flu, zpack for strep-throat and motrin for pain and fever. Day 2: me begging please give me penicillin please.. my throat began to swell and was covered with infection. I went to urgent care and was given prednisone shot along with Rocephin shot. Followed with prescription for prednisone, augmentin and diflucan. IMMEDIATELY the augment kick the hell out of the strep-throat. I began spitting out the infection.. the flu symptoms subsided. And all is right in the world. I had the runs, upset stomach and yeast infection.. all of those pale in comparison to strep-throat and the flu"

AEJ2 April 10, 2016

"I was prescribed Amox-Clav 875 for strep throat. After three doses of the medication, I became extremely nauseous and threw up everything in my stomach. I became exhausted and slept for multiple hours. I developed a terrible headache and my nausea continued. I contacted my doctor to explain my conditions and he prescribed an anti nausea medication and a different antibiotic. While Amox-Clav was effective in helping my strep throat symptoms in only 3 doses, it rendered me incapable of doing anything. I was not comfortable continuing the medication."

RMS1234 April 2, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Am now on day 2 of meds still in horrible pain.hurts so much to swallow any type of food or water.. Fever is under control thanks to round the clock advil and Tylenol.no relief as of yet hoping that it starts to help.."

still in severe pain March 31, 2016

"I got strep throat for the 2nd time in a month, so they wanted to prescribe something more heavy duty I guess. I got prescribed 875-125 mg tablets, and I had to take them every 12 hours. After my 2nd dose, I fell asleep and woke up about 4 hours later to myself really needing to vomit. After I think 8 doses (5 days out of the 10 I was supposed to) nothing changed at all, well at least nothing changed for the better. None of my symptoms changed, I was still throwing up every few hours -sometimes it had blood in it-, when I wasn't throwing up I was continuously nauseous, I couldn't walk or really see, I couldn't eat, it was just really bad, so I stopped taking them. After I stopped I had really bad diarrhea, but my strep symptoms went away"

Do I have to do this (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Medicine is working excellent, however, the side effects are intense. Severe diarrhea, horrible headache within an hour of each dose that gets worse when I stand. I'm only on day 3 of a 10 day cycle."

Anona (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

"Personal favorite antibiotic. Taken it many times over the last 8 years. I've never had any harsh side effects but I always take this medication with a light meal, usually high in carbs. Usually within 3 to 5 days all symptoms are gone and you can return to a light version of your routine, but you must finish the medication otherwise your symptoms will return far worse. If you are having trouble with nausea from this zofran has worked for other medications I've taken in the past, so I'd recommend asking your doctor about it before counting this medication out. I have lupus so I'm usually on this medication 10 times a year for things like strepthroat, tonsillitis, utis, upper respiratory infections, and all the other fun winter brings"

Lupus92 January 19, 2016

"After going to the ER twice in one week and my strep test coming out negative, my symptoms were so bad and visible that they started my first dose of antibiotics through IV. And sent me home with Augmentin 875 mg, after the 3rd day I was feeling better from my throat but the side affects were doing a number on me. I am super weak and tired I'm sleeping most of the day, my joints hurt my legs hurt, my chest feels tight and I'I have irregular heart beats if I move to much. I feel lethargic and I have a weird taste in my mouth, every thing taste bad. And I'm irritable,I feel so many more just don't feel like myself. I have experienced some really bad side affects but it's helping my infection. So I guess I have to deal with that for 3 more days."

Undiagnosed.. November 12, 2015

"second day of being sick I was diagnosed (rapid test) with strep and put on this medication. After 5 days with worsening symptoms I started coughing up blood and was diagnosed with pneumonia. was taken off this and put on levofloxacin. 2 days later no more lung bleeding and the pneumonia is almost gone. would not recommend as it did nothing and allowed something I caught early to worsen as if I caught it too late."

strep to pneumonia (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2015

"After 3 doses of this medication I had to call the Dr for something else, the nausea was horrible and I got a severe migraine as well. Seemed to take the strep throat pain away by the 2nd dose but I couldn't take the side effects."

Horrible side effects (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2015

"Excellent tablets. I could not even open my mouth and talk.. one tablet and pain gone. Don't waste time with any other tablets... This is the one ..."

Naeem 3113 October 4, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "This is the ONLY antibiotic I have been prescribed that cures the bacterial infection that comes along with streptococcus. Zithromax or Z packs (azithromycin) are useless for me due to complete antibiotic resistance to that drug. Also, regular amoxicillin is ineffective due to antibiotic resistance. This medication is powerful and can cause side effects such as diarrhea but you can take Imodium (loperamide) for that which I highly recommend during the course of this treatment along with drinking plenty of fluids such as water and Gatorade to maintain electrolytes. This is a 10 day course of medication and is highly effective. I recommend this as a FIRST course of treatment due to antibiotic resistance."

Frank26 (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2015

"First day, i had no side effects, caught my strep within 3 days of having it. Second day strep was getting better as well as going number 2 more. Also lack of sleep because of the drug, kept waking up in the middle of the night. (It makes you restless). Besides the side effects it did its job and thats really what counts."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2015

"I've been taking this drug for possible strep throat. Since I started taking it I've had extreme nausea, vomiting, dizziness, heart burn, chest pains, joint pain, pounding headache, insomnia, confusion, and loss of appetite. I don't know if I'm having problems because I'm young (16) but I don't plan on ever taking this drug again ."

CChatesthisdrugandfeelshorribleandsick (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I had a wicked bout of strep while travelling in Europe. I had a round of Amoxicillin which didn't quite clear it, so I was prescribed Augmentin. I had 30 hours of travel ahead of me, and two hours of sleep to go on, but despite the circumstances, I began to feel much better! The only side effects I've had so far have been that the acne on my cheeks has completely cleared up and I have better than average energy levels (not sure if either of these are related to the Augmentin, but the timing lines up perfectly)."

kat2332 (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2015

"I was diagnosed with strep throat Monday morning. The doctor prescribed 500mg of amoxicillin three times a day. I filled the script that morning and started my course. It is now Saturday morning and I am halfway through the course. Last night was the worst night since this thing started. I cannot sleep through the night because my throat is still very swollen and it is extremely painful when I swallow. My lower back and ears are now achy."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2015

"I had strep throat for 2 days after taking amoxicillin/clavulanate after the first pill I was 60 per cent better it works"

mr. larry March 22, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Still sick and throat hurts sfter 36 hrs"

ghhrf (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "After failing to complete the 10 day cycle of penicillin initially prescribed and a 3 day delay in getting back to the doctor, the the strep came back 500x worse than the first time (including sinus and ear infections). Augmentin was prescribed along with Lidocaine Viscous (to gargle), Sudafed, Flonase, Ibuprofen, and Saline Rinse. After 1 day, I can tell that I am on the mend... fever gone; throat, ears and sinuses getting better... I have had no adverse digestive effects (am eating yogurt consistently as it's he only that I have been able to get down). I am thankful that the Nurse Practitioner at CVS Minute Clinic went all out instead of sending me to the ER. This time I will finish the complete cycle!"

BigBabyDave January 3, 2015

"Was given this medicine for strep throat, prescribed 875mg twice daily; I was in so much pain I seriously felt like crying every time I had to swallow or tried eating or drinking anything! My tonsils were huge, very inflamed & red with white blister like spots. I went to Walgreens little clinic Sunday morning & started this medicine that afternoon by the morning of day 3 my throat felt 10x better! Amazing by the end of day 3; needless to say the medicine was definitely doing its job great, UNTIL it hit me that Friday, the nightmare started of bubble guts, diarrhea & the most awful foul smelling gas ever! Severe diarrhea 13hours and counting."

mommy of 2divaS December 18, 2014

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "This medicine worked to clear up sinus and chest infection within 4 days but my sense of taste is gone. Everything tastes blend or not right. Only sweet things are flavorful. Must be the Augmentin. On 10 day course."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2014

"Had fever about 38 degrees Celsius, really painful sore throat with excruciating joint and muscle pain for two days, was only on paracetamol, two tablets six hourly because I could not even swallow my saliva or walk to the bathroom. Private GP started me on it and on day two I could already eat and move around the house. I only had mild stomach pain and increased bowel movement instead of once daily, it is three times plus slight nausea. Today I am on third day and am feeling much better."

Effa (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2014

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "My Dr told me to drink it down with water and then eat yogurt or probiotic an hour after each dose and I never got sick and she said if you don't drink enough water you will get the runs , so I drank tons and never got it , I am too happy .I had been suffering for two months."

strep February 27, 2014

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "My worst nightmare started with uncontrollable sneezing in the evening which later developed into severe throat pain and musculoskeletal pain with temperatures shooting up to 103. The physician (whom I consulted in the absence of my family physician) prescribed cefixime and Azithromycin (200 500) combination twice a day, but the progress was very slow with the temp remaining high at 103. Fortunately, my physician returned and I consulted again and was prescribed Augmentin 625 twice a day for 3 days. Within a day, I found excellent improvement and the second day the strep pharyngitis completely subsided."

S. RICHARD RAJ February 6, 2014

Augmentin ES-600 (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "My son was first given Amoxicillin 400mg/5ML SUSP for his strep throat, but that was not effective in treating his bacteria. He continued to have a high fever so Dr.'s perscribed Augmentin ES-600 SUSP. My son who is 11 years old would LOVE to go back to the Amoxicillin. The taste of the Augmentin is "like swallowing chalk" as my son describes. It also seems to be affecting his taste buds. Everything tastes terrible this week. He is only on day 4 of a 10 day supply, twice a day."

Vitamin C Mom February 7, 2013