User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Amoxicillin/clavulanate Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Strep Throat.

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate to treat Strep Throat

"I took AMOX/K CLAV 875-125 MG - It is the generic for AUGMENTIN it didn't start working until the 4th day, very slow working but the doctor did tell me it would work slow but it would be very affective and to make sure and take for all 10 days 12 hours apart, so I did. I did get the headaches but don't know if it was from lack of eating and lack of coffee. I did notice that my tastebuds were affected, which had never happened in the past, so I figured it would go away, it has now been 16 days since I started the medication and my test buds are getting better but things still taste like chalk, I'll wait for a couple of weeks see if taste buds get better but for now I eat enough not to be hungry."

12Buddy12 March 31, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The drug so far has been ineffective. I was prescribed Amoxicillin 875mg 2x/day to treat my strep throat infection. I'm an adult and my only symptom is a swollen, painful to touch lymph node on the left side of my neck. Today is day 6 and I still don't see any difference compared to day 1."

Alekl February 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Everyone take a note that anytime you take an antibiotic you should to a probiotic to help your digestive health. A lot of antibiotic's cause diarrhea and can turn severe without proper technique. Take into fact too that eating or consuming and dairy product with an antibiotic is A HUGE NO-NO!!! I cannot stress how many times people have done that complaining about frequent loose bowel movements that sometimes leads to accidents. By the third day if you don't reckon progression, go back to docs immediately!"

FrankEee (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It took care of my sinus infection. However, it hasn't don't anything, after 8 days, to lessen throat redness and pain. Though, for me, the pain is not severe. Throat feels like its swollen, but I haven't had much trouble swallowing, but again, this medicine hasn't made it better. I would only recommend this medicine for those with sinus and ear infections. Otherwise, it does nothing for strep throat. So if strep throat is your biggest problem, try and get something else for it. Oh, and my side effect, so far, has been headaches. So I take advil to deal with that. Whether or not it cancels out the medication, I don't really care, cause I'm not living with a harsh headache if I can help it."

Anthony37 December 7, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "My opinion is that it is of the best out there.My throat sore(streptoccocus pyogenes) went away in 4 days without any side effects."

Mark Bristol (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It all started with a fever that came out of nowhere so thinking I got the flu I went out and bought some DayQuil and night so when I woke up I had body pain a headache swollen glands and a dry mouth and it hurt to swallow so I used my light of my camera and shine it in my mouth. It was red spots on the roof and back of my throat with pus I knew something wasn't right so I went to a immediate care center and failed the rapid test but she started me on the antibiotic 875mg AMOXI... but I take it the first night couldn't get any sleep so after my 2nd pill out of 20 I start having lil pimples over my ears my face and arms hands etc so I don't know if it's a allergic reaction or just a side effect but my throats feels horrible I can't swallow"

Ceejay197 October 8, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given this by urgent care to treat my strep throat. The first day of taking this I was perfectly fine... day 2 I started having severe diarrhea I mean it is coming out all day long like a faucet just so much diarrhea. I literally can not stop pooping. It's day 3 and I think I am going to have to call the DR back... the infection is leaving already which is amazing and it is an amazing drug other than the AWFUL diarrhea. I am eating yogurt too."

Ishkotar (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Completely useless medication. Been taking this for 5 days and absolutely none of my symptoms have cleared up. This morning I woke up with a pounding headache and I am about to throw up. Avoid at all costs"

HhhbjkkjhhjB August 19, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Caught my strep on day 1. Was prescribed penicillin 500mg originally 4x daily for 10 days. After two days of antibiotic treatment, my symptoms worsened resulting in a second visit back to the ER in severe stomach pain since I was taking penicillin, Tylenol and Advil on an empty stomach due to not being able to swallow even my saliva. The doctor gave me a steroid called decatrum via IV followed by a pain medicine via IV. The steroid gave me immediate relieve within an hour helping the swelling down. Afterwards, he discharged me and sent me home with Amox-clav 875 and Tylenol 3 with Codeine for pain. The amox-clav was directed to take twice daily for fivedays. I'm onmy second doseand I feel a majordifference but severestomachache constipation"

Giovannie August 19, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Had severe infection and fever the meds helped me , I had become resistant to azi , was given 1000mg with steroids to get me back on feet , hiccups followed for 6 days"

axat July 29, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "So, got another strep infection. Haven't had one in a couple years. But you can always tell because you get fever and chills (like seizure shaking), pain when you swallow, and my tell-tale sign--dragon-hot Fire breath. Anyway, checked my throat out and it was bright red with white spots, patches of pus. I went to urgent care on my lunch and sure enough rapid strep test positive. I was prescribed augmentin 875 twice per day for 10 days. I just took my third pill and I already feel so much better. Wish I hadn't have waited 2 days."

Nurse Kate (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "On tamiflu for the flu, zpack for strep-throat and motrin for pain and fever. Day 2: me begging please give me penicillin please.. my throat began to swell and was covered with infection. I went to urgent care and was given prednisone shot along with Rocephin shot. Followed with prescription for prednisone, augmentin and diflucan. IMMEDIATELY the augment kick the hell out of the strep-throat. I began spitting out the infection.. the flu symptoms subsided. And all is right in the world. I had the runs, upset stomach and yeast infection.. all of those pale in comparison to strep-throat and the flu"

AEJ2 April 10, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed Amox-Clav 875 for strep throat. After three doses of the medication, I became extremely nauseous and threw up everything in my stomach. I became exhausted and slept for multiple hours. I developed a terrible headache and my nausea continued. I contacted my doctor to explain my conditions and he prescribed an anti nausea medication and a different antibiotic. While Amox-Clav was effective in helping my strep throat symptoms in only 3 doses, it rendered me incapable of doing anything. I was not comfortable continuing the medication."

RMS1234 April 2, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Am now on day 2 of meds still in horrible pain.hurts so much to swallow any type of food or water.. Fever is under control thanks to round the clock advil and Tylenol.no relief as of yet hoping that it starts to help.."

still in severe pain March 31, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got strep throat for the 2nd time in a month, so they wanted to prescribe something more heavy duty I guess. I got prescribed 875-125 mg tablets, and I had to take them every 12 hours. After my 2nd dose, I fell asleep and woke up about 4 hours later to myself really needing to vomit. After I think 8 doses (5 days out of the 10 I was supposed to) nothing changed at all, well at least nothing changed for the better. None of my symptoms changed, I was still throwing up every few hours -sometimes it had blood in it-, when I wasn't throwing up I was continuously nauseous, I couldn't walk or really see, I couldn't eat, it was just really bad, so I stopped taking them. After I stopped I had really bad diarrhea, but my strep symptoms went away"

Do I have to do this (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Medicine is working excellent, however, the side effects are intense. Severe diarrhea, horrible headache within an hour of each dose that gets worse when I stand. I'm only on day 3 of a 10 day cycle."

Anona (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Personal favorite antibiotic. Taken it many times over the last 8 years. I've never had any harsh side effects but I always take this medication with a light meal, usually high in carbs. Usually within 3 to 5 days all symptoms are gone and you can return to a light version of your routine, but you must finish the medication otherwise your symptoms will return far worse. If you are having trouble with nausea from this zofran has worked for other medications I've taken in the past, so I'd recommend asking your doctor about it before counting this medication out. I have lupus so I'm usually on this medication 10 times a year for things like strepthroat, tonsillitis, utis, upper respiratory infections, and all the other fun winter brings"

Lupus92 January 19, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After going to the ER twice in one week and my strep test coming out negative, my symptoms were so bad and visible that they started my first dose of antibiotics through IV. And sent me home with Augmentin 875 mg, after the 3rd day I was feeling better from my throat but the side affects were doing a number on me. I am super weak and tired I'm sleeping most of the day, my joints hurt my legs hurt, my chest feels tight and I'I have irregular heart beats if I move to much. I feel lethargic and I have a weird taste in my mouth, every thing taste bad. And I'm irritable,I feel so many more just don't feel like myself. I have experienced some really bad side affects but it's helping my infection. So I guess I have to deal with that for 3 more days."

Undiagnosed.. November 12, 2015

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"second day of being sick I was diagnosed (rapid test) with strep and put on this medication. After 5 days with worsening symptoms I started coughing up blood and was diagnosed with pneumonia. was taken off this and put on levofloxacin. 2 days later no more lung bleeding and the pneumonia is almost gone. would not recommend as it did nothing and allowed something I caught early to worsen as if I caught it too late."

strep to pneumonia (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2015

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After 3 doses of this medication I had to call the Dr for something else, the nausea was horrible and I got a severe migraine as well. Seemed to take the strep throat pain away by the 2nd dose but I couldn't take the side effects."

Horrible side effects (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2015

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Excellent tablets. I could not even open my mouth and talk.. one tablet and pain gone. Don't waste time with any other tablets... This is the one ..."

Naeem 3113 October 4, 2015

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "This is the ONLY antibiotic I have been prescribed that cures the bacterial infection that comes along with streptococcus. Zithromax or Z packs (azithromycin) are useless for me due to complete antibiotic resistance to that drug. Also, regular amoxicillin is ineffective due to antibiotic resistance. This medication is powerful and can cause side effects such as diarrhea but you can take Imodium (loperamide) for that which I highly recommend during the course of this treatment along with drinking plenty of fluids such as water and Gatorade to maintain electrolytes. This is a 10 day course of medication and is highly effective. I recommend this as a FIRST course of treatment due to antibiotic resistance."

Frank26 (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2015

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"First day, i had no side effects, caught my strep within 3 days of having it. Second day strep was getting better as well as going number 2 more. Also lack of sleep because of the drug, kept waking up in the middle of the night. (It makes you restless). Besides the side effects it did its job and thats really what counts."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2015

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking this drug for possible strep throat. Since I started taking it I've had extreme nausea, vomiting, dizziness, heart burn, chest pains, joint pain, pounding headache, insomnia, confusion, and loss of appetite. I don't know if I'm having problems because I'm young (16) but I don't plan on ever taking this drug again ."

CChatesthisdrugandfeelshorribleandsick (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2015

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I had a wicked bout of strep while travelling in Europe. I had a round of Amoxicillin which didn't quite clear it, so I was prescribed Augmentin. I had 30 hours of travel ahead of me, and two hours of sleep to go on, but despite the circumstances, I began to feel much better! The only side effects I've had so far have been that the acne on my cheeks has completely cleared up and I have better than average energy levels (not sure if either of these are related to the Augmentin, but the timing lines up perfectly)."

kat2332 (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2015