User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Amoxicillin/clavulanate Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Strep Throat.

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate to treat Strep Throat

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "First it is a good medicine for sore throat and cough.. along with sinurest and nasal decongestant. I have taken azitromicin previously it takes 15 days to cure sore throat..but augmentin will take only 4 day to cure along with as I said previous drugs"

Kanthkum (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Dr thought I had strep just by looking at my throat and felt like I was swallowing glass, so I got 500mg amoxicillin 3x/day. Within 24hrs I could swallow again and fever went away. However, I am now on day 5 of this medication and have pretty bad nausea, a raging yeast infection and frequent loose stools, and the abdominal cramps are pretty bad. If you're on this, start taking a probiotic or yogurt immediately! I'm not playing around!"

Woahhhhh (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "In 2015 Aug my Doctor prescribe me Augmentin 625, for 10 days. After completing this course my strep throat problem was gone but I haven't been able to sleep for several months, sweating, feel like body is shaking and nightmare. Next 6-month acid reflux with too much burping with lots of air comes out and stomach cramps and problems with throat and colon and time to time ear pain. I started treatment like GARD, IBS. but my health becomes poor, even my immunity power goes down. In next 6 months, I stop all drugs and start taking healthy diet and regular exercise, I feel better and better."

Omee79 September 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I vomited violently all night after taking side around 7 p.m. A month later we thought we'd try again because the doctor didn't believe it could be from this medication. The same thing happened! Miserable!"

Missy2642 August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Wasn't entirely sure I had strep throat, no fever (but I never get fevers), but sore throat for 5 days, getting worse, couldn't swallow without extreme pain, doctor did strep test, was negative, but she said there were other strains of strep that the test didn't cover, was also concerned that sore throat was worse. Within 12 hours of taking first dose, my throat was much better and soreness was completely gone after 24 hours. Side effects however, were hard to live with I have been dizzy and extremely tired . Decided to stop after 4th day of taking because it would be hard to go back to work on this med."

random 6 (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Only took 2 pills on day one. Day 2... throat starting to feel better!! Yay!!!! Red welts all over my legs, butt ,back, and eyes real puffy!!! Guess I'm allergic!!! On to the next medicine."

lbutt June 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed after 1.5 days of an itchy, painful throat, giant tonsils and swollen lymphs. I had hot flashes but never a fever. Rapid test was positive so the Urgent Care doc prescribed Amox 500mg one tablet threes times a day for 10 days. I finally began to feel better after day 3. I also developed bronchitis and an asthma exacerbation. Ugh. I stopped the antibiotics on day 8, which was yesterday, just because as a nurse, I'm a bad patient. ;) I didn't have any stomach upset or diarrhea which really surprised me. All is well , just getting the asthma in check with Prednisone."

Purple Hibiscus May 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed amox/clav 875 for strep throat. After being on the medicine for 24hours my sore throat was completely gone. I felt so much better immediately, but of course finishing the course with strep is very important, so I continued. The first few days extreme fatigue, to the point of sleeping hours! Day 5 or so, I had night terrors for two nights in a row. The last couple days on it have been ok, still very fatigue and happy I'm done with the medicine. Point is, it is great for strep treatment in my experience but the side effects can be harsh!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took AMOX/K CLAV 875-125 MG - It is the generic for AUGMENTIN it didn't start working until the 4th day, very slow working but the doctor did tell me it would work slow but it would be very affective and to make sure and take for all 10 days 12 hours apart, so I did. I did get the headaches but don't know if it was from lack of eating and lack of coffee. I did notice that my tastebuds were affected, which had never happened in the past, so I figured it would go away, it has now been 16 days since I started the medication and my test buds are getting better but things still taste like chalk, I'll wait for a couple of weeks see if taste buds get better but for now I eat enough not to be hungry."

12Buddy12 March 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The drug so far has been ineffective. I was prescribed Amoxicillin 875mg 2x/day to treat my strep throat infection. I'm an adult and my only symptom is a swollen, painful to touch lymph node on the left side of my neck. Today is day 6 and I still don't see any difference compared to day 1."

Alekl February 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Everyone take a note that anytime you take an antibiotic you should to a probiotic to help your digestive health. A lot of antibiotic's cause diarrhea and can turn severe without proper technique. Take into fact too that eating or consuming and dairy product with an antibiotic is A HUGE NO-NO!!! I cannot stress how many times people have done that complaining about frequent loose bowel movements that sometimes leads to accidents. By the third day if you don't reckon progression, go back to docs immediately!"

FrankEee (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It took care of my sinus infection. However, it hasn't don't anything, after 8 days, to lessen throat redness and pain. Though, for me, the pain is not severe. Throat feels like its swollen, but I haven't had much trouble swallowing, but again, this medicine hasn't made it better. I would only recommend this medicine for those with sinus and ear infections. Otherwise, it does nothing for strep throat. So if strep throat is your biggest problem, try and get something else for it. Oh, and my side effect, so far, has been headaches. So I take advil to deal with that. Whether or not it cancels out the medication, I don't really care, cause I'm not living with a harsh headache if I can help it."

Anthony37 December 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "My opinion is that it is of the best out there.My throat sore(streptoccocus pyogenes) went away in 4 days without any side effects."

Mark Bristol (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It all started with a fever that came out of nowhere so thinking I got the flu I went out and bought some DayQuil and night so when I woke up I had body pain a headache swollen glands and a dry mouth and it hurt to swallow so I used my light of my camera and shine it in my mouth. It was red spots on the roof and back of my throat with pus I knew something wasn't right so I went to a immediate care center and failed the rapid test but she started me on the antibiotic 875mg AMOXI... but I take it the first night couldn't get any sleep so after my 2nd pill out of 20 I start having lil pimples over my ears my face and arms hands etc so I don't know if it's a allergic reaction or just a side effect but my throats feels horrible I can't swallow"

Ceejay197 October 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given this by urgent care to treat my strep throat. The first day of taking this I was perfectly fine... day 2 I started having severe diarrhea I mean it is coming out all day long like a faucet just so much diarrhea. I literally can not stop pooping. It's day 3 and I think I am going to have to call the DR back... the infection is leaving already which is amazing and it is an amazing drug other than the AWFUL diarrhea. I am eating yogurt too."

Ishkotar (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Completely useless medication. Been taking this for 5 days and absolutely none of my symptoms have cleared up. This morning I woke up with a pounding headache and I am about to throw up. Avoid at all costs"

HhhbjkkjhhjB August 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Caught my strep on day 1. Was prescribed penicillin 500mg originally 4x daily for 10 days. After two days of antibiotic treatment, my symptoms worsened resulting in a second visit back to the ER in severe stomach pain since I was taking penicillin, Tylenol and Advil on an empty stomach due to not being able to swallow even my saliva. The doctor gave me a steroid called decatrum via IV followed by a pain medicine via IV. The steroid gave me immediate relieve within an hour helping the swelling down. Afterwards, he discharged me and sent me home with Amox-clav 875 and Tylenol 3 with Codeine for pain. The amox-clav was directed to take twice daily for fivedays. I'm onmy second doseand I feel a majordifference but severestomachache constipation"

Giovannie August 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Had severe infection and fever the meds helped me , I had become resistant to azi , was given 1000mg with steroids to get me back on feet , hiccups followed for 6 days"

axat July 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "So, got another strep infection. Haven't had one in a couple years. But you can always tell because you get fever and chills (like seizure shaking), pain when you swallow, and my tell-tale sign--dragon-hot Fire breath. Anyway, checked my throat out and it was bright red with white spots, patches of pus. I went to urgent care on my lunch and sure enough rapid strep test positive. I was prescribed augmentin 875 twice per day for 10 days. I just took my third pill and I already feel so much better. Wish I hadn't have waited 2 days."

Nurse Kate (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "On tamiflu for the flu, zpack for strep-throat and motrin for pain and fever. Day 2: me begging please give me penicillin please.. my throat began to swell and was covered with infection. I went to urgent care and was given prednisone shot along with Rocephin shot. Followed with prescription for prednisone, augmentin and diflucan. IMMEDIATELY the augment kick the hell out of the strep-throat. I began spitting out the infection.. the flu symptoms subsided. And all is right in the world. I had the runs, upset stomach and yeast infection.. all of those pale in comparison to strep-throat and the flu"

AEJ2 April 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Amox-Clav 875 for strep throat. After three doses of the medication, I became extremely nauseous and threw up everything in my stomach. I became exhausted and slept for multiple hours. I developed a terrible headache and my nausea continued. I contacted my doctor to explain my conditions and he prescribed an anti nausea medication and a different antibiotic. While Amox-Clav was effective in helping my strep throat symptoms in only 3 doses, it rendered me incapable of doing anything. I was not comfortable continuing the medication."

RMS1234 April 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Am now on day 2 of meds still in horrible pain.hurts so much to swallow any type of food or water.. Fever is under control thanks to round the clock advil and Tylenol.no relief as of yet hoping that it starts to help.."

still in severe pain March 31, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got strep throat for the 2nd time in a month, so they wanted to prescribe something more heavy duty I guess. I got prescribed 875-125 mg tablets, and I had to take them every 12 hours. After my 2nd dose, I fell asleep and woke up about 4 hours later to myself really needing to vomit. After I think 8 doses (5 days out of the 10 I was supposed to) nothing changed at all, well at least nothing changed for the better. None of my symptoms changed, I was still throwing up every few hours -sometimes it had blood in it-, when I wasn't throwing up I was continuously nauseous, I couldn't walk or really see, I couldn't eat, it was just really bad, so I stopped taking them. After I stopped I had really bad diarrhea, but my strep symptoms went away"

Do I have to do this (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Medicine is working excellent, however, the side effects are intense. Severe diarrhea, horrible headache within an hour of each dose that gets worse when I stand. I'm only on day 3 of a 10 day cycle."

Anona (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Personal favorite antibiotic. Taken it many times over the last 8 years. I've never had any harsh side effects but I always take this medication with a light meal, usually high in carbs. Usually within 3 to 5 days all symptoms are gone and you can return to a light version of your routine, but you must finish the medication otherwise your symptoms will return far worse. If you are having trouble with nausea from this zofran has worked for other medications I've taken in the past, so I'd recommend asking your doctor about it before counting this medication out. I have lupus so I'm usually on this medication 10 times a year for things like strepthroat, tonsillitis, utis, upper respiratory infections, and all the other fun winter brings"

Lupus92 January 19, 2016