User Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate to treat Strep Throat

Also known as: Augmentin, Augmentin XR, Amoclan

Amoxicillin/clavulanate has an average rating of 6.4 out of 10 from a total of 61 ratings for the treatment of Strep Throat. 46% of those users who reviewed Amoxicillin/clavulanate reported a positive effect, while 26% reported a negative effect.

Amoxicillin/clavulanate Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 21 medications used in the treatment of Strep Throat.

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate

D November 26, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Augmentin worked fast within 3 days for my strep throat, but the diarrhoea and stomach aches I had taking this was awful. Even for a few days after I had finished the 10 days of Antibiotics. First few days I experienced some trouble sleeping, night sweats and the headache here and there. Generally worked well, but side effect were not fun.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 25, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Augmentin is a powerful drug and within 2 doses for strep throat my throat started to open back up. I could breathe easier and swallow without too much pain. However, it gave me the worst headache I have ever had. I tried tylenol, ibuprofen and BC powder and my head still felt like it was going to explode. Switching to Amoxicillin. I just hope it works as well as Augmentin without this terrible side effect.”

Megalodon · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I was diagnosed with strep throat and given amoxicllin and strep came back and so they gave me Augmentin. Two pills in and started noticing little dots on my skin but thought it was normal and didn't want to be in pain so I took 6 days of it ( don't do that if you start to develop a rash). I had hives all over my body that itched. It made me self conscious and depressed and I can't work right now because my job is labored and I sweat a lot. The doctor didn't want to give me anything else because my immune system was freaking out. A week and a half later my hives are spreading still and my strep comes back. I was given a steroid injection that helped relieve some of the itching, taking zyrtec daily, prednisone and keflex this time due to my other antibiotic allergy. 2 weeks since I stopped taking Augmentin and anything that causes me mental anguish or anxiety flare my whole body up with hives that feel like bugs are crawling over me.. My immune system has been destroyed by 3 bouts of strep in 30 days.”

Grif · Taken for less than 1 month November 15, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Tried this medication many times in the past and I have not tolerated it well. Typically doctors have given it to me for mycoplasma, but this time I was diagnosed with strep throat. Since I did not already have a headache due to the strep throat I opted to go with Augmentin as recommended by the ENT. I was sure to share my past episodes with the medication, but the ENT assured me headaches were not a side effect. Well 1 dose into it my head feels like it weights 50 lbs and I am achy all over and feel totally worse. After the second dose my full blown headache where I can’t move is back in full force. And I also can’t sleep on it. Never again on this medication!!!”

Unicorn. · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 21, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Honestly the worst drug i’ve ever taken, a doctor prescribed me this after a second strep throat infection and after the third dose I'm experiencing stomach pain like never before and throwing up every five seconds (dry heaving included). Do not take this drug, do not let a doctor prescribe you this if you’re sensitive in any way whatsoever, and always do your research before taking an Rx.”

K · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2019

“I've had a bout of tonsillitis that has lasted 2 weeks. I was originally prescribed Clarithromycin for 10 days which did not cure my infection. I was prescribed Co-Amoxiclav (I'm British so the name might differ) and I was a bit apprehensive as I had a diarrhoea problem with it years ago. Tried it again and have experienced no horrible side effects, only fatigue which I can put up with for my remaining 3 days of my 5 day course. I have been taking my medication with small meals or snacks during the night. Tonsillitis cleared after one day and I would be using this medication again 100%.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 21, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Diagnosed with strep throat and a perforated ear drum...I was in a ton of pain. AUGMENTIN got rid of the ear pain and throat pain in 2 days but the pure liquid diarrhea is nonstop. So of course I'm an idiot and feel better so I stopped taking it after 3 days. Well day 6 I am back (worse) with the strep throat so I start taking it again. The heart burn is out of control and diarrhea ASAP again. Pain in my throat is so bad I am trying to bare the side effects. I take a probiotic every day and I currently just took pepto with hope of some relief.”

Strep · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I had a terrible strep infection. My throat was so painful and my body ached. Was prescribed penicillin. After 4 doses and no improvement returned to the doctor and was prescribed Augmentin. I knew the side effects would be bad, but was desperate to see improvement in the strep, which 2 doctors described as a really bad case. After 2 doses, NO SIDE EFFECTS, my stomach was fine, I saw improvement in my throat. After the 3rd dose I started noticing some upset stomach and a bad headache. Hoping this headache doesn't last.”

Jac · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2019

“It seems to be effective against the strep infection. My low rating is due to the fact that it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to swallow a chalky pill this huge. I made the mistake of not looking at the prescription (stapled in the sack) when I picked it up from the drive-through window. I would have definitely asked my pharmacist for something else had I known this was what the doctor ordered. I really hate ANY pill is made this large. Despite the recommendations not to crush it....I must to be able to swallow it. And I am sure a replacement would not be free. Too late to change now.”

ESE · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2018

“I had tonsillitis and was given regular amoxicollin at first. It didn't do squat. About a week into using it, I went back to the doctor and she gave me augmentin. It worked wonders. After literally just one pill all the pus in my tonsils was gone. By the third or fourth pill, the swelling was gone too. I felt like my normal self only a day and a half after starting. I did get loose stool and a bit of a rash but nothing too bad so far (I am still taking it at the moment). I recommend this medicine for anyone who can't get better off of other antibiotics”

Rosie · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2018

“I got real sick and diagnosed with Strep. My doc gave Amoxi/clav. By the 4th day I was feeling much better. It does work.”

Anonymous February 22, 2018

“I have Strep Throat when I start taking Amoxicillin 875mg my throat was not hurting bad at all . I had a bad cough and I could tell my throat was swollen. It's been 3 days and my throat is hurting bad the pain have move to the centre instead of the side. When does this medicine work.”

Lou-who · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2017

“Worst experience I have ever had with any medicine. I was prescribed this for strep throat. On the first day I was fine, but by the second day I was so extremely nauseous that I couldn't even stand up. Had some, but not a lot of diarrhea. I continued to take it because I thought it was just from where I was sick. Today is the fourth day, I woke up and felt not myself. I explained to my husband it felt like I had taken some hard drugs and was having a bad high. I was feeling so sick and light headed, I vomited multiple times today. And had diarrhea. I have decided to quit taking this medicine. It's Christmas eve and I can't feel like this in the morning. Hope I don't anyways! Never taking this again, especially after reading similar stories!”

Kanthkum · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “First it is a good medicine for sore throat and cough.. along with sinurest and nasal decongestant. I have taken azitromicin previously it takes 15 days to cure sore throat..but augmentin will take only 4 day to cure along with as I said previous drugs”

Woahhhhh · Taken for less than 1 month September 20, 2017

“Dr thought I had strep just by looking at my throat and felt like I was swallowing glass, so I got 500mg amoxicillin 3x/day. Within 24hrs I could swallow again and fever went away. However, I am now on day 5 of this medication and have pretty bad nausea, a raging yeast infection and frequent loose stools, and the abdominal cramps are pretty bad. If you're on this, start taking a probiotic or yogurt immediately! I'm not playing around!”

Omee79 September 16, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “In 2015 Aug my Doctor prescribe me Augmentin 625, for 10 days. After completing this course my strep throat problem was gone but I haven't been able to sleep for several months, sweating, feel like body is shaking and nightmare. Next 6-month acid reflux with too much burping with lots of air comes out and stomach cramps and problems with throat and colon and time to time ear pain. I started treatment like GARD, IBS. but my health becomes poor, even my immunity power goes down. In next 6 months, I stop all drugs and start taking healthy diet and regular exercise, I feel better and better.”

Missy2642 August 28, 2017

“I vomited violently all night after taking side around 7 p.m. A month later we thought we'd try again because the doctor didn't believe it could be from this medication. The same thing happened! Miserable!”

random 6 · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2017

“Wasn't entirely sure I had strep throat, no fever (but I never get fevers), but sore throat for 5 days, getting worse, couldn't swallow without extreme pain, doctor did strep test, was negative, but she said there were other strains of strep that the test didn't cover, was also concerned that sore throat was worse. Within 12 hours of taking first dose, my throat was much better and soreness was completely gone after 24 hours. Side effects however, were hard to live with I have been dizzy and extremely tired . Decided to stop after 4th day of taking because it would be hard to go back to work on this med.”

lbutt June 7, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Only took 2 pills on day one. Day 2... throat starting to feel better!! Yay!!!! Red welts all over my legs, butt ,back, and eyes real puffy!!! Guess I'm allergic!!! On to the next medicine.”

Purple Hibiscus May 15, 2017

“I was diagnosed after 1.5 days of an itchy, painful throat, giant tonsils and swollen lymphs. I had hot flashes but never a fever. Rapid test was positive so the Urgent Care doc prescribed Amox 500mg one tablet threes times a day for 10 days. I finally began to feel better after day 3. I also developed bronchitis and an asthma exacerbation. Ugh. I stopped the antibiotics on day 8, which was yesterday, just because as a nurse, I'm a bad patient. ;) I didn't have any stomach upset or diarrhea which really surprised me. All is well , just getting the asthma in check with Prednisone.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2017

“I was prescribed amox/clav 875 for strep throat. After being on the medicine for 24hours my sore throat was completely gone. I felt so much better immediately, but of course finishing the course with strep is very important, so I continued. The first few days extreme fatigue, to the point of sleeping hours! Day 5 or so, I had night terrors for two nights in a row. The last couple days on it have been ok, still very fatigue and happy I'm done with the medicine. Point is, it is great for strep treatment in my experience but the side effects can be harsh!!”

12Buddy12 March 31, 2017

“I took AMOX/K CLAV 875-125 MG - It is the generic for AUGMENTIN it didn't start working until the 4th day, very slow working but the doctor did tell me it would work slow but it would be very affective and to make sure and take for all 10 days 12 hours apart, so I did. I did get the headaches but don't know if it was from lack of eating and lack of coffee. I did notice that my tastebuds were affected, which had never happened in the past, so I figured it would go away, it has now been 16 days since I started the medication and my test buds are getting better but things still taste like chalk, I'll wait for a couple of weeks see if taste buds get better but for now I eat enough not to be hungry.”

Alekl February 23, 2017

“The drug so far has been ineffective. I was prescribed Amoxicillin 875mg 2x/day to treat my strep throat infection. I'm an adult and my only symptom is a swollen, painful to touch lymph node on the left side of my neck. Today is day 6 and I still don't see any difference compared to day 1.”

FrankEee · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2017

“Everyone take a note that anytime you take an antibiotic you should to a probiotic to help your digestive health. A lot of antibiotic's cause diarrhea and can turn severe without proper technique. Take into fact too that eating or consuming and dairy product with an antibiotic is A HUGE NO-NO!!! I cannot stress how many times people have done that complaining about frequent loose bowel movements that sometimes leads to accidents. By the third day if you don't reckon progression, go back to docs immediately!”

Anthony37 December 7, 2016

“It took care of my sinus infection. However, it hasn't don't anything, after 8 days, to lessen throat redness and pain. Though, for me, the pain is not severe. Throat feels like its swollen, but I haven't had much trouble swallowing, but again, this medicine hasn't made it better. I would only recommend this medicine for those with sinus and ear infections. Otherwise, it does nothing for strep throat. So if strep throat is your biggest problem, try and get something else for it. Oh, and my side effect, so far, has been headaches. So I take advil to deal with that. Whether or not it cancels out the medication, I don't really care, cause I'm not living with a harsh headache if I can help it.”

Learn more about Strep Throat