User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate to treat Bacterial Infection

Also known as: Augmentin, Augmentin XR, Amoclan

Amoxicillin / clavulanate has an average rating of 4.5 out of 10 from a total of 153 ratings for the treatment of Bacterial Infection. 29% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 48% reported a negative effect.

Amoxicillin/clavulanate Rating Summary

4.5/10 average rating

Compare all 1055 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Di · Taken for less than 1 month March 19, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “After taking other antibiotics a couple of times over the last 12 months for sinus infections, I finally had a deep sinus infection which seeped through the top jaw and around a tooth. It had apparently been building up over time. I had just started Augmentin 875/125 when the periodontist found this. Before that I had tired completed 3 courses and all infection pain in my sinus, jaw, neck and shoulder have gone. After 12 months of trying physio, massage, nasal sprays, washes and antihistamines, as well as the odd antibiotic, Augmentin has been my saviour. It began to clear everything l didn’t even know was part of the infection within 3 days and the continued improvement has been unbelievable and surprising. No side effects at all, if l take at the start of a meal, although l have felt pretty tired. Brilliant drug!”

GS · Taken for less than 1 month January 23, 2021

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Taking Augmentin 875/125 2x daily prophylacticly to prevent infection from deep puncture cat bite. 5 days in there is no sign of infection, and everything appears to be healing fine. So, it seems to have potentially prevented infection. But wow, did it make me feel awful. Brain fog with difficulty focusing mentally and visually. No energy. Lots of nausea, lack of appetite, and generally feeling out of it. Diarrhea occurs without enough fiber. As other have said I think it's increased my anxiety significantly. Haven’t had any panic attacks for a long time, until this beauty. I’m not sure I’ll ever know if it prevented an infection or not. I do know that it caused me to feel like absolute crud!”

Sneha · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2021

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Prescribed this medicine for ear infection. After taking 2nd dose, feel. Like swelling near double chin area. Tightness and stiffness of chest. Two days I couldn't sleep because of shortness of breath and feeling like choking while sleeping. While inhaling feel like something is kept on my chest. Anyone can suggest?”

e · Taken for less than 1 month April 4, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I am still having severe vagina pain 9 months after taking this very horrible drugI I have tried so many different things, can someone out there please help me! IT HAS BEEN A HORRIFIC NIGHTMARE THAT HAS RUINED MY LIFE!”

Danjo · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “After being on a course of Augmentin I have had diarrhea two weeks it’s mushy brown and I pass stools up to four times a day. The hospital tested my stool said it was because the antibiotics and that my blood was okay. So I dunno what happened but I guess the augmentin got rid of all the good bacteria in my gut. I guess it takes time anyone else have this problem?”

Blah · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2018

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “It blows my mind that so many others are on here, telling people NOT to take this medicine. WHY?! Just because it didn't work for you/gave you a reaction, doesn't mean it won't help the next person. Had I listened to these negative comments, I might've never known the wonders this has worked on me. Long story short.. I've battled a horrible infection in my gums/jaw for a longtime. I was on penicillin, amoxicillin, clindamycin, etc! NOTHING helped at all. Finally landed myself in the ER, and was given augmentin. I was skeptical as nothing else had worked on this infection. Needless to say, I took as prescribed. Ate a meal at the start of ever dose, had yogurt after every dose as well. And it worked amazing for me!! Day 2 infection was finally gone! No harsh side effects, no stomach upsets etc. I truly believe if you've taken this with food and yogurt as you're suppose to, you'll be just fine.”

Just Me · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I took augmentin for sinitus and ear infection. Gave me a little gas. The first dose caused upset stomach, but I didn't take it with food then. I took it with food after that and felt fine. To combat the loss of good bacteria, I took a probiotic pill 2 hours after taking it and have not had issues. Drink lots of water, take with food, and finish the prescription. It's no better or worse than any other antibiotic I have taken before.”

Nana · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “2 hours after taking the first dose of Augmentin my son started vomiting every 5 min for 2 hours straight. It got to the point where it became so violent he started vomiting blood, which I saw was indeed a side effect of the drug. I had to take him to the ER to stop the vomiting and get him hydrated. It was a nightmare! Next day he had the most severe diarrhea he's ever had. All with just one dose. He did take it with food.”

Jbirdy · Taken for less than 1 month March 23, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I really like antibiotic so far. I was on Cipro before for the same infection and that made me feel nauseous and dizzy. With Augmentin, I feel fine as if I am not even taking an antibiotic. Lots of negative reviews on here so it just shows you that everyone has a different reaction. Just know if an antibiotic makes you feel really ill that you should call your doctor right away to switch and should not keeping taking something that you can't tolerate.”

Danny · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “After taking this drug for 2 days I had uncontrollable anxiety and ended up in the emergency room with a blood pressure of 190 over 100. This drug has caused panic attacks and anxiety. I will never take it again”

Jem · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I took my first Augmentin pill at 1pm after eating a burger and at 5:30pm. I threw up after having severe nausea and headache. I went to after hours at 6:30pm and they gave me medicine Zofran and then a shot for nausea and said not to take any more that I was having a side affect to it. It did not help and I threw up 3 more times when I got home. Last time was 2am. I do not recommend this if you have not taken it before. It has been a horrible experience.”

AzCorals May 16, 2020

“Omg, so I'm on amoxicillin/clavulanate for a tooth issue. I'm going through my 4th pair of bottoms today! 1 pair of shorts, 3 pyjama bottoms! I have had to hand wash diarrhea out of my shorts 4 times now! It's 2 am and my stomach is still gurgling. I'm afraid to go back to sleep cause I woke up this last time to pooping in my shorts and on my bed! The other times I was awake at least. I have an abscessed tooth root that spread to my face. It's Friday night, looks like I'm stuck til Mon. I might have to do a tele-health appt. with Urgent Care to get just plain penicillin tomorrow. Only good thing is my facial swelling went down a little.”

mamabear · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2021

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Took Augmentin for bad sinus infection, after day two symptoms decreased a lot. I could smell things I haven't smelled in months. Day 3 vaginal itching, day 4 worse vaginal itching and headache. Decided to treat for yeast infection. Day 5 feeling better. Taking probiotics with it daily. Have had some diarrhea but I have IBS so nothing more abnormal than usual. Even though the side effects aren't pleasant, it worked better that any antibiotic I've been thrown this year for this everlasting sinus infection.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I am taking Augmentin for diverticulitis as prescribed by the ER doctor and I feel like trash; the abdominal cramps felt better without it and I have loose stools and sore legs and generally feel like garbage. Only 3 pills left to go.”

Gc · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2020

“Wow... I guess I got lucky I took this amoxicillin/clavulanate 2x per day for 10 days (500 mg amox/250 mg clav per pill) and had no issues at all. No stomach issues no headache nothing. Also worked really well in clearing up my infections”

exhausted_girl · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2020

“I had a painful tooth which got infected and caused swelling of my right jaw within only 3 days. Doctor prescribed me this antibiotic amoxicillin/clavulanate, 875mg dose 2x to take for 10 days and go to a root canal on the 7th day. I have a phobia taking medications because of previous bad side effects. Since I have taken plain Amoxicillin many times without any major problems, gave this a go. Took one pill in the morning with my breakfast & 2 hours later got violently ill, throwing up until I couldn't, literally, the acid was burning my stomach and throat. Five mins later, started peeing from my butt for 30 mins, liquid diarrhoea, I was very weak and spent in bed. I only took one single pill. Doctor said it is an bad reaction, now have to figure out what to take bec I am allergic to most of the antibiotics and the tooth pain is on the next level.”

LC · Taken for less than 1 month July 16, 2021

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Within a few hours of taking my first dose I felt like garbage. I was extremely nauseous and out of it, almost dizzy. I have a deadly fear of puking so I stopped taking it right after the first dose. I would never take this again because of the awful side effects. If you deal with nausea and diarrhea well then you should stick to it, but personally I could not put myself through it any longer.”

QueasyBelly August 25, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “This medication got rid of an infection in a cat scratch, but my God have I suffered. By day 5 I was constantly on the edge of puking and had loose stool. I toughed it out, took double the probiotics I normally would, and was super excited to be done with it. Unfortunately, 10 days later, I'm still queasy on and off and have random loose stools. I feel like it destroyed my gut, not enough to be concerned about c diff, just enough to make me feel like garbage and worry about going anywhere.”

Cool Mamaw September 21, 2012

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Medicine worked great re: double infections; couple days I could feel difference. HOWEVER, side effects were terrible; still around after completing 10-day treatment. Even with daily probiotics and yogurt the digestive/intestinal issues were bad, constant trips to bathroom; eating would immediately create "stomach talk"; could not leave house; had to cancel family trip as travel would have been difficult. Lethargic, weak, blurry vision, exhausted; with all of this it really affected my mentality. FYI: On the 2nd day when side effects began, I spoke with my pharmacist who encouraged me to stay on it if I could endure these "common" side effects, none being allergic. It has worked but still healing from side effects. ”

What_a_Poison! · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2020

“Do not take amoxicillin/clavulanate antibiotic EVER! Doctor prescribes me this antibiotic for a bacterial infection, which I did not have, the labs test came up virus later. I did not know that this amoxicillin/clavulanate is just another name for Augmentin because I took the latter years ago and spent one whole day in the bathroom vomiting and diarrhoea. Here we go, took this unknowingly and guess what, same reaction, started jetting out from both ends violently at the same time. And I only took one pill. I just do not know the effectiveness of this drug, because I can't damn keep this pill down in the stomach for more than 30 mins. Now I know I will never touch this stuff EVER AGAIN! Took amoxicillin many times never had that reaction, apart from minor stomach discomfort. NEVER AGAIN!”

Ms · Taken for less than 1 month December 3, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “This is NOT a good choice if you're allergic to any penicillin-type antibiotics or prone to vaginal yeast infection. AVOID. Talk about severe vaginal itching! It's the kind of itching without odor or discharge; just full-fledged random itching. Short term remedy is Benadryl. I didn't know I was allergic until I was prescribed this for a sinus infection. So, it's been 6/10 days on Augmentin and I'm calling it quits. To be fair: the sinus infection is all clear, so it does work. Apparently, this reaction happens to 1 out of 15 patients.”

Rach · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2020

“Took one amoxicillin/clavulanate this morning for middle ear infection and chest is really heavy and I feel weak and fatigued , went away and felt fine . Took one at dinner and it all came back and feel heart pounding and vision is weird and sensitive and don’t want to move !!! This is terrible”

El · Taken for less than 1 month December 29, 2020

“I was given 875 mg dosage of amox-clav for a bacterial infection. Been on the medication for one week and no side effects except for the first day. I was pre warned about the side effects before I started. I take each dose 12 hours apart and break the pill into 2 smaller pieces so they are easier to swallow. I eat a slice of bread and milk with each dose. The first day I drank water and 30 minutes later I had horrific heart burn. Next time tried milk and no side effects. Coughing and phlegm are decreased greatly. Doctor said to make sure a probiotic is taken with this medication.”

otterhere November 20, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I was prescribed Augmentin for a severe infection at the root of the tooth (I don't even see dental abscess listed as an indication for use here, but the dentist seemed enthused). I was in absolute agony, and the infection had to be cleared up before the tooth could be pulled. Well, first came the sticker shock! I couldn't believe my prescription was over $30 for a generic version, but figured this had to be good stuff. Two days later no improvement, but explosive watery diarrhea every couple of hours despite probiotics. Having been a caregiver, I recognized a C. diff infection. Sure enough, Googling confirmed that Augmentin is notorious for inducing this! I knew this wouldn't be tolerable for the remainder of the course of treatment, plus it can lead to colitis, so I begged to be switched to a "plain" antibiotic. After a day on that, I already feel so much better, and thank goodness the C. diff seems to be resolving on its own. The $2 price tag for amoxicillian was nice, too!”

sarahsbusy August 23, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “This medication is freaking me out! I have sinusitus, chest infection, bacterial infection. All my thoughts are super negative and snarky, I have constant anxiety and feel like doing push-ups and running a mile but I am sick so I can't. I can't sleep and am having hallucinations. It is, however, the only antibiotic that seems to work for me. I have an immune system disorder (hypogammaglobulinanemia) and get bacterial infections anywhere often. particularly chest and sinus. Do I suck it up? Double up on antidepressants? or "just breath" to lower my anxiety? ... Totally freaking out and trying not to rage. I am going to have to take time off work so I don't offend someone and ruin my career.”